Medical SchoolWayne State
39141 Civic Center Driv
Fremont, CA 94538
3779 Piedmont Avenue
Oakland, CA 94611
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Janie Hirata to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kaiser Permanente NorCal to a friend?
She [Dr. Hirata] is down to earth and pragmatic. She has a sense of humor and is blunt. Being that I'm over 40, the news on fertility rates isn't great and she was always very honest about that. But I am not sold on IVF so she was willing to work with my for more IUIs that others may endure. She listened to my concerns, hopes and fears.... I did 3 natural IUIs with frozen sperm, using an at home OPK test. Then I had 3 IUIs with Letrozole during day 3-7, with an Ovedrel trigger shot for one and an at home OPK for the other.
How was your experience with Janie Hirata at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
She is down to earth and pragmatic. She has a sense of humor and is blunt. Being that I'm over 40, the news on fertility rates isn't great and she was always very honest about that. But I am not sold on IVF so she was willing to work with my for more IUIs that others may endure. She listened to my concerns, hopes and fears.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Janie Hirata at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
She is down to earth and has heard it all so don't be afraid to ask any questions you have.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Janie Hirata at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Hirata and her staff were always friendly and personable when I went in for treatments, either consultation, ultrasounds, or IUIs. It is Kaiser, so they do run you through the process of a big medical system, but I have been with Kaiser for many years so that is par for the course. Once you get through the bureaucracy, the staff are great, and even dressed up for Halloween!
Describe the protocols Janie Hirata used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
I did 3 natural IUIs with frozen sperm, using an at home OPK test. Then I had 3 IUIs with Letrozole during day 3-7, with an Ovedrel trigger shot for one and an at home OPK for the other. I had to have ultrasounds before the Letrozole and then before the trigger shot. Then I took 2 months off and am doing Letrozole with the Ovedrel trigger. I will have my 6th IUI tomorrow.
There are 2-3 nurses that I see regularly at the clinic. At my first IUI they were very helpful and informative about the whole process. They didn't mind when I took photos of the vial and they commented warmly about my lucky socks. Because I have had multiple IUIS now, it is more of an in and an out, partly because that is my approach to this too.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
This clinic is very convenient for me in Oakland. The building is a little older, but the facilities are fine. It is Kaiser so there is a bit of a bureaucracy with dealing with check-in and costs, but it is all very manageable. I like Kaiser because it is all integrated and I can email with the doctors and staff.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Janie Hirata at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
My insurance covered half of the costs for the IUIs. I think it was about $150 for the IUI and $120 for the ultrasounds. The Letrozole was very cheap, $4, but the Ovedrel was about $100.
Describe Janie Hirata's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
no comment
Oakland
Dr Hirata was somewhat robotic. I didn’t feel that she sufficiently answered my questions about our unexplained diagnosis or offered much in the way of options....I was doing IUIs with Dr Hirata while diagnosed as “unexplained.” Beyond the usual battery of tests she offeeed no additional ways to look into the root cause nor did she encourage us to pursue more rigorous treatment.... We did 1 IUI with clomid, 2 with leteozole and then did an optional last IUI with letrozole and menopur while we were waiting for IVF.
How was your experience with Janie Hirata at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I was doing IUIs with Dr Hirata while diagnosed as “unexplained.” Beyond the usual battery of tests she offeeed no additional ways to look into the root cause nor did she encourage us to pursue more rigorous treatment. We got pregnant while seeing her (though another doctor was overseeing the cycle) so I think Kaiser was doing everything right but I felt a lack of compassion or sympathy and an impatience in my asking questions from Dr Hirata.
We did 1 IUI with clomid, 2 with leteozole and then did an optional last IUI with letrozole and menopur while we were waiting for IVF. The last cycle was successful.
The nursing staff were the most compassionate of the team. I appreciated their patience and guidance and felt like they were rotting for me.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Strengths: it’s what you’ll use if you have any Kaiser coverage! Fairly easy to get appointments. Convenience of coordinating other related testing through Kaiser speeds up the process. Weaknesses: very by the book; it seems like everyone goes through the same stages and ramp ups.
4 IUIs with a 50% copay cost around $3000 (including one cycle of injectibles).
What specific things went wrong at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Oakland
Dr. Hirata is wonderful. She is warm, welcoming, caring, and thorough. She spent a lot of time with my husband and I lovingly explaining everything to us.... I would recommend Dr. Hirata to anyone. She is a truly wonderful physician. She made us feel comfortable and well informed every step of the way. She treated us like humans. She is warm and patient. She provided us with clear options and explained the numbers well. She spent a ton of time with us during each visit and made us feel very important and well cared for.
How was your experience with Janie Hirata at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
No advice, she’s wonderful.
Letrozole low dose for first cycle because great sperm and egg counts and high chance for multiples
Patient, caring, articulate.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Kaiser. Hospital like setting with excellent providers and staff. I really like kaiser. It’s not as fancy as the private clinics and can feel a bit institutional when you are there sometimes. Parking at certain locations can be difficult. But the level of care and quality of doctors we have found to be superior to the private clinic we have visited and we have been really happy that we switched to kaiser for our care.
Very cheap
PCOS, Unexplained
I love her [Dr. Janie Hirata]. I have been having a great experience as her patient. I feel deeply cared for and sincerely allied with. She has shown up to support me at appointments she wasn't even scheduled for in addition to being willing to answer all of my questions during appointments as well as over KP.org messages...NorBe - to regulate my period - successful Clomid at 50mg - increase maturation of follicles - unsuccessful Clomid at 10g - increase maturation of follicles - successful Ovidrel - trigger ovulation - successful Estradiol - increase thickness of uterine lining - successful Letrizol - increase maturation of follicles - successful Ovidrel - trigger ovulation - successful Letrizol - increase maturation of follicles - successful Ovidrel - trigger ovulation - successful
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Janie Hirata at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I love her. I have been having a great experience as her patient. I feel deeply cared for and sincerely allied with. She has shown up to support me at appointments she wasn't even scheduled for in addition to being willing to answer all of my questions during appointments as well as over KP.org messages.
See her before you start IUIs with anyone else. I wish I had started with her.
She is phenomenal. I really feel like she has my back and is my cheerleader while providing me realistic expectations.
I mostly interact with three staff members and all are warm and caring.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Sliding scale is inaccessible i.e. expensive.
Expensive.
2011
She got me pregnant pretty quickly so even though her bedside manner was not so great, I can't complain too much.
2011
How was your experience with Janie Hirata at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Hirata kind of knew who I was. The nurses were helpful but did not know who I was as an individual. I felt like they were all really rushed and didn't have time to really explain things to me.
they all seem really harried
What specific things went wrong at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?