Available by cell phone
301.631.1180
1165 Imperial Drive
Hagerstown, MD 21740
1.888.761.1967
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Jason Bromer to a friend?

5.5

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shady Grove Fertility to a friend?
Although we only saw Dr.Bromer a few times during treatment (our nurse was our main go to and was the absolute BEST!), Dr. Bromer took his time and answered our questions at the initial consult. He also checked in during a follicle check appointment to see how things were progressing and called us after PGS testing was complete, before and after egg retrieval, and before our embryo transfer. He was also there on the day of our first ultrasound to congratulate us, show us our baby, and her heartbeat! He was compassionate and we always felt like we were in good hands under his care.
Our nurse Toni made our experience [at Shady Grove Fertility] exceptional. We looked forward to hearing from her and actually miss her now that we are pregnant!...We chose the shared risk program ($22,500) through Shady Grove which included 6 stimulated cycles and unlimited transfers until 1 live birth. We also added the PGS testing for 5,000 for a total of $27,500...The clinic is well organized. From our first contact to set up a consultation, to financial counseling, to our final appointment before discharge, everything always ran smoothly and the staff had all bases covered. I really liked how patients get a patient portal online where you have direct access to your test results, monitoring and treatment schedule, and messaging for your doctor, nurse, front desk, or financial coordinator. If I had to name one weakness it would probably be that they are not open on weekends for monitoring or phone calls, so if one of your monitoring days falls on a weekend you have to travel to another office. For us, it was Rockville, MD which was an additional 30 minute drive.
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
We switched to SGF after a not so great experience with another clinic in Pittsburgh. We had heard so many wonderful things about Shady Grove and were so excited and full of hope to start treatment with them. Dr. Bromer is friendly, positive, and honest, but also to the point which we appreciated. He took his time with us at our initial in person consult. Prior to this, wewere even given a free of charge phone consult before scheduling our first office consultation since we lived 2 hours away from the clinic. Both times he was very knowledgeable, kind and answered our questions about treatment, PGS testing, ICSI, and medication protocols.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
If you are a self-pay patient as we were, don’t be afraid to ask questions about the financial options offered. You will meet with a financial advisor at SGF as well, and she is awesome. But we went with the “shared risk” plan and probably could have gone with the “multi cycle” plan to save some $. Hindsight is 20/20, but be sure to ask questions about chances of success based on your particular situation or diagnosis before making that big decision!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Jason Bromer used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I was treated with a high responder antagonist protocol. I believe the reason for this was that I don’t have any diagnosed fertility issues (although I *may* have some underlying problems, read below) and Dr. Bromer was confident that he could retrieve eggs. I am in a same sex marriage, which was the primary reason my wife and I chose IVF to start a family. However, I also have a substantially sized endometrioma on my right ovary which was likely getting in the way of IUI success and most likely points to endometriosis elsewhere, although I’ve never had the lap surgery done. As far as the treatment plan goes, I was on birth control for 18 days prior to starting 150 IUs of Follistim/Gonal F daily (after my first follicle check this was increased to 175 daily) and 75 IU Menapur, daily. I started Ganirelix 1x per day once follicles were >14mm. Triggered with Lupron. The results were: 16 eggs retrieved, 15 mature, 13 fertilized and 8 made it to 5 day blastocysts. Of those 8, 6 were PGS normal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Toni)
Our nurse Toni made our experience exceptional. We looked forward to hearing from her and actually miss her now that we are pregnant! She was extremely organized, prompt, friendly, and positive. She made sure to call at a time that my wife and I would be available. She never treated us like a number even though I’m sure she was extremely busy. She always took her time when speaking to us and made sure to answer all of our questions...and we had a lot of questions! Shady Grove Frederick was a wonderful experience and the main reason was because of Toni and the staff there. We always felt like we were in good hands when we were there.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove Frederick is one of their smaller office in my opinion, so we always felt like we were getting individualized attention. We always saw the same friendly faces at each appointment which took a lot of the anxiety away. The clinic is well organized. From our first contact to set up a consultation, to financial counseling, to our final appointment before discharge, everything always ran smoothly and the staff had all bases covered. I really liked how patients get a patient portal online where you have direct access to your test results, monitoring and treatment schedule, and messaging for your doctor, nurse, front desk, or financial coordinator. If I had to name one weakness it would probably be that they are not open on weekends for monitoring or phone calls, so if one of your monitoring days falls on a weekend you have to travel to another office. For us, it was Rockville, MD which was an additional 30 minute drive.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Our treatment was not covered at all under insurance. We chose the shared risk program ($22,500) through Shady Grove which included 6 stimulated cycles and unlimited transfers until 1 live birth. We also added the PGS testing for 5,000 for a total of $27,500. We became pregnant on the first try, after 1 retrieval and 1 transfer, so we overpaid! BUT, we probably wouldn’t have changed our decision. Hindsight is 20/20, but I think we would have gone with the shared risk plan ultimately for peace of mind and not knowing if we would have failed transfers or not. To help compare the other plans available...1 cycle at SGF is $10,500. With PGS it’s 14,000. The “multi cycle” plan allows for 2 stimulated cycles with unlimited frozen embryo transfers for $18,500 or $23,500 with PGS.
Describe Jason Bromer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove Fertility in general has a strong stance on only transferring 1 embryo in most circumstances. Personally, we were totally on board with this.
Frederick

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility.

Although I have yet to have success, I have been very happy with my experiences so far in Dr. Jason Bromer’s care. ... The very first statement Dr. Bromer made at our initial consultation was “Ok, I’ve reviewed all your previous records, but I want to hear it from you. What have you been through, how has this process been for you?” ...
Shady Grove Fertility has been phenomenal. Office visits are very efficient and I’ve been able to get out in a timely fashion and get back to work. All of the staff is so kind and wonderful. They have hours daily, even on the weekends. They also have an on call service for after regular hours which helps when you have questions or concerns.
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Although I have yet to have success, I have been very happy with my experiences so far in Dr. Jason Bromer’s care. He listened to our wants and needs and I feel like he looked at us as people and not just numbers. I just got my results after our first IVF cycle yesterday and he was so compassionate on the phone. He was patient and answered every question I had. I felt like he truly felt the grief with us. I have all the faith in him that we will be successful
Trust in him and in the process.
The very first statement Dr. Bromer made at our initial consultation was “Ok, I’ve reviewed all your previous records, but I want to hear it from you. What have you been through, how has this process been for you?” That was the first time I had a doctor ask me that. And not immediately look at my age and just shrug me and my husband off and say “oh you’ve got plenty of time!”
I was started on Menopur 75 IU and Gonal F 150 IU as my stimulation drugs. I also took Cetrotide. Lupron was my trigger drug prior to egg retrieval. I was stimulating really quickly so my doses were lowered part way through the stimulation process. I ended up with 19 follicles, 9 eggs, and 5 embryos. Unfortunately only one of my embryos made it to Blastocyst stage. It was transferred on day 5. We were unsuccessful. We plan to initiate another cycle soon.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jamie Dean)
Jamie has been fantastic through this process. She has returned messages in a timely manner, has been very compassionate, and has tried to help us as much as possible in this journey. She even made sure to call at times that worked with our work schedules so my husband and I could get results together.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I felt that our treatment was pretty cost effective compared to other facilities that I have heard about. For our first IVF cycle it was about $7,500
Frederick

He [Dr. Jason Bromer] is very straightforward and clear, which I like. If you want a very gentle bedside manner, that's not really him, but he's not rough either. Somewhere in between. Very realistic, but he clearly cares too...Ask lots of questions - he is happy to answer. Expect realism but not coddling...I am in a same-sex marriage, and I'm a good candidate for IUI so the one cycle we've done so far has been natural with trigger shot. He gave me the option to go without trigger, but I wanted it. We may change protocol next time, but we'll see.
Counseling with a social worker [at Shady Grove Fertility] for using 3rd party genetic material was out of network and was $300. Natural Cycle IUI is $1200 per cycle, but we were approved for the Shared Help Discount at 15% (income based), so natural cycle IUI for us is $1020...They are a well-oiled machine, so they have the process down pat. However, you need to be organized and know your insurance coverage and all your financials. Don't trust them to get it right. They have a patient portal, which is great, but it's severely underutilized, in my opinion. Mainly for messages with appointments. I had to ask for my lab results to be posted, and my treatment estimate never was. The portal is great, but they should really use it more.
European, Latino, Native American
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
He is very straightforward and clear, which I like. If you want a very gentle bedside manner, that's not really him, but he's not rough either. Somewhere in between. Very realistic, but he clearly cares too.
Be prepared and do your research. Ask lots of questions - he is happy to answer. Expect realism but not coddling.
Shady Grove Fertility is a well-oiled machine, so sometimes you feel like a number while in the office, but Dr. Bromer and my LPN make me feel human.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jody)
Jody is great. Straightforward and compassionate without being coddling. Very capable.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
We have some coverage, so each office visit was a $40 copay. Counseling with a social worker for using 3rd party genetic material was out of network and was $300. Natural Cycle IUI is $1200 per cycle, but we were approved for the Shared Help Discount at 15% (income based), so natural cycle IUI for us is $1020. Medicated is $1800/cycle ($1530 for us). Sperm is separate. We do not have insurance coverage for IUI. HSG was covered, as was all lab work.

2012 - 2019
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
We started with a questionnaire and an face to face consultation [with Dr. Jason Bromer]. He introduced himself and explained how the facility worked and what test he wanted to run on me and my husband so that we can get a better picture of what was going on. My husband did a semen analysis to check his sperm count and I was given an HSG test where they could see if my fallopian tube‘s were blocked or not . I had had one ectopic pregnancy and already lost one tube so he was pretty certain that my other tube was blocked with endometriosis but he did a test to be sure .
The clinic [Shady Grove Fertility] was fabulous it was very clean And a calm atmosphere there was a lot of privacy. They were very up-to-date with new technology . There was lots of room and information was easily accessible . They had one main location that was in Rockville Maryland where they did the transfer but they had a smaller clinic in Hagerstown Maryland where I was able to go and I’m still able to go that’s closer to my home . Me and my husband travel about three hours to make our appointments the appointments are very early in the morning so it’s nice to have the convenience of the Dr traveling back-and-forth between the different facilities
2012 - 2019
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
I would recommend him to anyone. He has gone through the process with his own family so he was able to understand our fears an concerns. We felt very safe with his medical choices and thought he was/is an outstanding doctor
Be yourself don’t be afraid to ask questions
He was amazing! He really was kind and explained everything to us in detail. He was very patient with us
We started with a questionnaire and an face to face consultation. He introduced himself and explained how the facility worked and what test he wanted to run on me and my husband so that we can get a better picture of what was going on. My husband did a semen analysis to check his sperm count and I was given an HSG test where they could see if my fallopian tube‘s were blocked or not . I had had one ectopic pregnancy and already lost one tube so he was pretty certain that my other tube was blocked with endometriosis but he did a test to be sure . My husband sperm came back a very high count so he was fine my test came back that my rate tube was completely blocked with endometriosis . At that point we had another sitdown meeting face-to-face with him which I liked he was with us every step of the way . He suggested that we do IVF and he explained the reasons why . We have been trying to get pregnant for over three years we had had one miscarriage and one ectopic pregnancy. Ivf would be the safest and best route for our family . I was given Esterase tabs and progesterone injections daily. We had to do several ultrasounds I was given a medication to have my follicles ready so that we can do an egg retrieval. Again Dr bromer was the one doing the procedure of the egg retrieval I was very emotional and nervous but he was so kind and right there with me the whole time explaining to me what he was doing . The lab fertilize my eggs and we had to wait to see if they took . Dr Bromer Called me himself to tell me that we had six that we were going to keep frozen. Then we did a mock transfer. And then we did the actual embryo transfer. The procedure was not painful but it was very emotional and it was cool how he let us see the picture of the embryo and we got to take a copy of The procedure was not painful but it was very emotional and it was cool how he let us see the picture of the embryo and we got to take a copy of it it home. We had to wait two weeks to see if the pregnancy took it was a very long two weeks we found out on December 26 that are pregnancy did take.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jeanette )
Jeanette was fabulous she was my nurse . Jennifer was my lab technician she was amazing every single person remembered my name when I came in and they genuinely cared how we were doing and how we were feeling
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic was fabulous it was very clean And a calm atmosphere there was a lot of privacy. They were very up-to-date with new technology . There was lots of room and information was easily accessible . They had one main location that was in Rockville Maryland where they did the transfer but they had a smaller clinic in Hagerstown Maryland where I was able to go and I’m still able to go that’s closer to my home . Me and my husband travel about three hours to make our appointments the appointments are very early in the morning so it’s nice to have the convenience of the Dr traveling back-and-forth between the different facilities
The monitoring appointments were ran very smoothly they were always done very early in the morning no later than 8 AM so that they could get your lab results back that same day which I appreciate . They work very well with your schedule even the receptionist was very kind and understanding . The doctor was there for all of my monitoring it was very reassuring to see his face and for him to take a look at everything and let us know how the progress was going
The cost for my medications was around $1200 . My co-pay was $20 for every visit . I had to travel three hours for the procedure so I had a lot of money in gas and food . I don’t remember the total cost of my IVF it was thousands of dollars . And now we’re starting the process all over for baby number two
I actually wanted to do a multiple embryo transfer and after talking it over with the doctor we made the decision together that it would be safer to do one transfer

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
It was clear that Dr. Bromer was always cognizant of our specific situation; he wasn't giving blanket/general recommendations when he spoke to us...I was personally looking for a doctor to be realistic versus optimistic but also to offer his point of view on the best option for us (own eggs vs. donor). I vetted four clinics and he was the first to deliver on my expectations. He called us several times while he was on vacation to personally review some unexpected setbacks and his recommendations for moving forward.
We participated in the shared risk donor program [at Shady Grove Fertility] in which we were one of three recipients (so we shared the cost). The total was about $26K...operates like a well-oiled machine. Their process for out-of-state patients is pretty seamless, and they really work to streamline the number of visits for those who live far away. They did get a few of our appointment times mixed up during our visit, which meant we were left sitting in the lobby for an extended period of time and my husband had to do his SA while we were supposed to be meeting with a social worker, but that was the only hiccup. While not a hugely important factor, their Rockville office is gorgeous. We also visited Fredrick and Towson, both of which
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
I was personally looking for a doctor to be realistic versus optimistic but also to offer his point of view on the best option for us (own eggs vs. donor). I vetted four clinics and he was the first to deliver on my expectations. He called us several times while he was on vacation to personally review some unexpected setbacks and his recommendations for moving forward. He was willing to consider my thoughts on how to proceed; he offered an expert opinion but was not overly prescriptive. He is kind, compassionate and invested in your success. Aside from a new patient consult, in-person consult and various phone conversations, we had much more interaction with our nurse than our doctor.
Be up front on what you're hoping he can help with.
Since I am a donor egg recipient, my protocol was related to an embryo transfer only and was pretty standard (Lupron, progesterone, estrogen). I responded well to what he prescribed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Vivian )
Vivian was always pleasant and to-the-point. There were a few small admin-type mix-ups, but nothing that affected my protocol. She was quick to respond to questions and always kept me up to date on my donor's status.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove Fertility operates like a well-oiled machine. Their process for out-of-state patients is pretty seamless, and they really work to streamline the number of visits for those who live far away. They did get a few of our appointment times mixed up during our visit, which meant we were left sitting in the lobby for an extended period of time and my husband had to do his SA while we were supposed to be meeting with a social worker, but that was the only hiccup. While not a hugely important factor, their Rockville office is gorgeous. We also visited Fredrick and Towson, both of which were nice but not on the same level. I do wish Towson had onsite wellness (acupuncture, etc.) like Rockville, but they were able to refer me out to a local clinic. The donor coordinator team was on the ball - very communicative and gave lots of personal attention when needed. One frequent criticism I hear is that their financial department is difficult to work with, but that was not our experience.
We participated in the shared risk donor program in which we were one of three recipients (so we shared the cost). The total was about $26K.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
My only complaint is that my nurse forgot to write stat on a bloodwork order which resulted my beta not being available the same day.

1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Dr. Bromer is kind, gentle and positive. He doesn't provide false hope but is genuine and truly works hard to help get the best outcome for each family. ... We have been thankful for his straight forward and thorough professional oppinions. He tends to encourage couple's to slow down for optimal outcome rather than rushing to treatments that haven't been fully thought through.
There's was 1-2 times when SA results were concluded and we waited over a week to hear from a nurse. ... They provide verbal and written instructions with the option to call at any time. They also provide video resources for additional support. The only challenge for us was have to drive out of town so frequently due to limited services provided at the Hagerstown SG [Shady Grove] office ... Jamie Dean- very thorough and quick to respond to patient portal emails and phone calls.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Bromer quickly and easily established a rapport with my husband and I! He has a happy and genuine personality that keeps the mood positive during a very emotional time. We have been thankful for his straight forward and thorough professional oppinions. He tends to encourage couple's to slow down for optimal outcome rather than rushing to treatments that haven't been fully thought through. We love Dr. Bromer!
Take his word and trust him because he truly wants to see you and your spouse become parents it just may take time to come up with the best plan for you and your family!
We were referred to Dr. Shin (urologist) to further asses male factor complications. We worked thoroughly with Dr. Shin for almost 8 months . Dr. Bromer continued to keep up on our file and check in. We are about to begin IVF after egg retrieval and a male microdissection due to azoospermia, with donor sperm as a backup to insure IVF is completed. Dr. Bromer and Dr. Shin have worked phenomenally together and with us!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer initially; Jamie Dean for IVF)
Jamie Dean- very thorough and quick to respond to patient portal emails and phone calls. She was available to answer my many questions and super helpful in a crunched timeline.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The process of fertility treatments can be super overwhelming. There's so much information provided but SG wants you to leave understanding it all. They provide verbal and written instructions with the option to call at any time. They also provide video resources for additional support. The only challenge for us was have to drive out of town so frequently due to limited services provided at the Hagerstown SG office which made things complicated with work and time off. I'd love to see more opportunities available in the Hagerstown office.
$1900 for shared risk program, $8,500 microdissection, $1200 varicocele repair, $120 clomid, $3,000 genetic testing for me and my spouse, $1000 for donor sperm, this doesn't include thousands for copays for consultations, follow-ups and blood work.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
There's was 1-2 times when SA results were concluded and we waited over a week to hear from a nurse. Once I was able to reach them they were very apologetic and passionate.

2016 - 2019
Dr. Bromer seems to be highly intelligent in his field. He does not “sugar coat” anything and he doesn’t just tell you what you want to hear. He is honest and has research and scientific reason to back up his methods. I was highly skeptical to use any fertility medications. He respected my choice and now that we are about to start IVF and I was worried about all the meds, he definitely eased my mind and made me feel confident about our chances with IVF as well as the safety of the medicine.
Good wait time. I never felt like I had to wait a long time for any appt. Staff [Shady Grover] is so helpful and encouraging. I feel like it’s such a big organization but they really try to make you feel important. ... Their IUI cost is reasonable without insurance and the shared risk IVF program is great. ... One person explained to me that low morphology meant that we would never conceive a normal child in our own.
2016 - 2019
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask a lot of questions. He is honest and will give you a medically researched answer. Do not expect a warm and fuzzy guy. However, you should expect someone who cares about the best way to give you and your spouse the baby you want.
Staff is warm and welcoming. Dr. Bromer validated my concerns and gave me intellectual, researched evidence to back up any answers to questions that I had.
IUI with clomid was suggested but I refused meds and he very honestly told me that was fine but after so many IUIs it was time to possibly change protocol. Now after four failed cycles, he has respectfully advised us and with confidence- IVF is the best next step. We are getting ready to begin that soon.
Very kind and encouraging. Very organized and helpful.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Good wait time. I never felt like I had to wait a long time for any appt. Staff is so helpful and encouraging. I feel like it’s such a big organization but they really try to make you feel important.
Regular co pays for office visits. Their IUI cost is reasonable without insurance and the shared risk IVF program is great. You basically pay the amount that 2 cycles costs and then you can do up to 6 cycles and back out anytime if need be to get money back if you don’t get a baby.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
One person explained to me that low morphology meant that we would never conceive a normal child in our own. I realized that this was an uneducated answer and I simply moved on.

1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Dr Bromer is an incredibly honest, understanding, truthful, scientific clinician. I wanted less fluff and more fact for the IVF process and he gave us just that... Don’t expect warm and fuzzies. He is kind, but he is a good doctor who’s main interest seems to be in the science behind getting and keeping a woman pregnant, not hand holding or coddling through the process.... When monitoring discovered a cyst he called me personally to discuss the details, importance and impact of the suggested immediate aspiration.
As part of the Shady Grove Fertility system my direct interaction with my doctor or nurse was limited and I got pass around in the system... Mindy [a nurse] was phenomenal. She always called me back within 24 hours, she would let me blabber away on the phone about my fears, doubts or excitement of a recent step in the treatment process. She provides detailed protocols and follow up phone calls to make sure I’m doing well with the next step.As part of the Shady Grove Fertility system my direct interaction with my doctor or nurse was limited and I got pass around in the system...
European, Black or African-American, Native American, Other
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr Bromer is an incredibly honest, understanding, truthful, scientific clinician. I wanted less fluff and more fact for the IVF process and he gave us just that. As part of the Shady Grove Fertility system my direct interaction with my doctor or nurse was limited and I got pass around in the system, but when planning out our IVF protocol he heard everything we wanted, gave us all our options, and even when we said we eventually wanted to transfer two embryos in pursuit of twins he said “I would strongly recommend against that but we’ll do what you want. IVF has higher success rates nowadays than historically, it’ll be healthier for you and your baby if you transfer just one.” When monitoring discovered a cyst he called me personally to discuss the details, importance and impact of the suggested immediate aspiration. Even the day after my retrieval with a different doctor, my pain was unfathomable and he jumped into my emergency appointment to ensure no internal bleeding, ovarian twisting or unintentional rupture had taken place, when usually it was only myself, the ultrasound tech and a random nurse in my appointments. Even during this opiod crisis he didn’t say “it’s really unusual you to be hurting like this, just go home and rest.” He made sure I was safe and comfortable during my recovery, gave me a small prescription of a higher dose pain killer which finally enabled me to sit and sleep, and I returned to a normal state of post retrieval pain 2 days later without completing the prescription. Just today when one of our two embryos returned with a mosaic abnormality he spent 25 minutes on the phone with my husband and I going through every angle and potential outcome of whether or not to transfer it.
Dr Bromer always spoke with me directly only on the important matters. He would even wait while I conferences my husband in on a call and spent as much time as we needed on the phone answering questions. Much more occurred between the important phone calls, and our experience is a little tainted about how the clinic staff treated me like a number.
Infertility is not biologically my problem, so the preexams confirmed all was right with my body. I presume the treatment plan was laid out as it would be for any standard patient. During Stims a cyst on my ovary was discovered, something new to me, and Dr Bromer called me to explain exactly how and why it would halt the IVF treatment and how important it was to have it removed right away. Apparently birth control, which I hadn’t taken in over 5 years, now (or maybe always?) made me develop an ovarian cyst. He advised the medications to stimulate my ovary and follicle growth would also make the cyst grow. My estrogen level was at 90 when it should’ve been 30-50. I can’t remember why the cyst would negatively impact the treatment but Dr Bromer did state if I didn’t get the cyst removed TOMORROW we could start Stims until the next month and hopefully the cyst would go down by then.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mindy Cotrell)
Mindy was phenomenal. She always called me back within 24 hours, she would let me blabber away on the phone about my fears, doubts or excitement of a recent step in the treatment process. She provides detailed protocols and follow up phone calls to make sure I’m doing well with the next step.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
SGF treated me like a number. It was a cattle call every morning for monitoring. When we went in for my retrieval they asked my husband for his sperm sample, and shocked we advised they’ve had it in their lab for 2 years!
Cattle call line around the corner. Toward the end, one nurse/tech would holler into the waiting room “make sure you empty your bladder before your ultrasound!”
$24,000 for the IVF shared risk program, right now almost $5,000 for medications. The bill for the cyst aspiration hasn’t come in yet.
My husband and I wanted twins out of this expense, invasive process. Dr Bromer strongly advised against it as twins can be more taxing on mom and the other fetus during pregnancy, and having one newborn is harder than two. At the end of this first round we only have one quality embryo to transfer anyway, but he did detail with us the potential outcomes, both best and worst case scenario, if we transferred the abnormal embryo. I figured if it miscarries, no big deal. He advised; if it miscarries a subsequent DNC may damage the other healthy fetus. I didn’t even think of that, I more so thought it would just drop out of me.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
My issue was at the Rockville clinic. They forgot/misplaced didn’t read the paperwork to recognize my husbands sperm was right there in their lab for two years prior to my retrieval. Very unsettling as next month both of my embryos will be thawed and only one transferred; I now fear they’ll transfer the wrong one, the abnormal one which we are donating to science and will mistakenly explore the one healthy embryo.
Frederick

He’s [Dr. Bromer] very knowledgeable and makes sure you understand what he is saying and that you fully comprehend his treatment plan. That being said, he’s a little odd and I felt slightly uncomfortable the one time he did an ultrasound on me...3 cycles of clomid, ovidrel, and preogesterone suppositories. I have PCOS and the clomid was used to stimulate follicle growth and the ovidrel was to ensure I ovulated within a certain timeframe. I’m on the third cycle now, but the first 2 ended up with negative results.
Shady Grove runs like a factory - you check in, get called to the back, and get sent out once everything is finished. as Often as I’ve been there over the past few months, I don’t think any of the nurses recognize me because they constantly have a flow of patients come in and out and conversations are kept to a minimum....Strengths- organized and efficient. Shady Grove runs like a well oiled machine and you are in and out of monitoring sessions quickly.
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
He’s very knowledgeable and makes sure you understand what he is saying and that you fully comprehend his treatment plan. That being said, he’s a little odd and I felt slightly uncomfortable the one time he did an ultrasound on me.
Make sure to ask all of the questions you have- he really does do a good job of explaining everything.
For as busy as the nurses are, Jody did an excellent job of responding to my concerns. Sometimes I’d get an email response and sometimes she would call, either way, I felt like I was able to get answers quickly.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Strengths- organized and efficient. Shady Grove runs like a well oiled machine and you are in and out of monitoring sessions quickly. Weaknesses- I felt like a number. There was no personalization or feeling that I was remembered from my last appointment.
Timed intercourse was 100% by our insurance. We are discussing moving on to IUI next and that cost is $1800.
Frederick

Dr. Bromer is a consummate professional. He is knowledgeable kind and truly gives of himself to his patients. In treating you he leaves no stone unturned and no question unasked. He is patient focused and tries to offer solutions that are both medically and financially feasible.... He never tired in answering my questions and even provided me with his cellular phone and email so that I could be in touch with him as question arose.
[Shady Grove ] Ease of scheduling is awesome. 24 hour service is an immeasurable benefit to patients who work odd hours. Kind, knowledgeable and caring staff who go above and beyond make the difficult experience of infertility easier to bear...Allison is more like an old girlfriend that nurse. She was/ is amazing. She was my nurse for both the IUI and the IVF and I could not have hand picked a better nurse/ care coordinator.
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Bromer is a consummate professional. He is knowledgeable kind and truly gives of himself to his patients. In treating you he leaves no stone unturned and no question unasked. He is patient focused and tries to offer solutions that are both medically and financially feasible. Because he is so thorough , and knowledgeable about the medical and insurance side of things you immediately want to trust. As a patient it was easy to comply with his prescribed course of treatment because you feel like you are a partner in your care and not just patient.
Don't ever tire of treating people with the care and kindness that you do. Infertility is a scary and lonely experience and while we want your guidance and the hard truths we appreciate your taking the time to provide guidance in a way that considers the patient perspective and input and while the truth is sometimes hard to take it easier to bear when the practitioners approach is informed kind and straight forward. In short keep doing what you do!
Dr. Bromer is Awesome! He made me feel so at ease with the process of IVF. He explained the very technical aspects of IVF in the most easy to understand terms. He never tired in answering my questions and even provided me with his cellular phone and email so that I could be in touch with him as question arose. We returned to Dr. Bromer in pursuit of our second child, at which time our insurance only provided for IUI. Dr. Bromer did all of the necessary testing and told us what our best options for achieving pregnancy were. Regrettably we learned that we would not be able to conceive via IUI due to my husbands very low count following weight loss surgery. Devastated by the news, my husband and I opted to proceed with two course of IUI. Dr. Bromer was super supportive despite knowing that are chances were low. He allowed us to try to sudafed protocol etc. When that didn't work he researched and took the time to explain some insurance options that we perhaps had not considered. He truly went above and beyond to try and help us find a solution. He even assisted us in completing our application for a Baby Quest grant. I highly recommend him as a practitioner and should I be fortunate enough to have the funds to pursue an additional IVF he is the doctor that I would chose to see.
For our IVF i dont recall specifics- but we stimulated retrieved 4 eggs- 2 fertilized and one failed to thrive by the time of transfer. So we transferred the one. For our most recent IUI we stimulated and had 2 failed cycles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Allison Catalani )
Allison is more like an old girlfriend that nurse. She was/ is amazing. She was my nurse for both the IUI and the IVF and I could not have hand picked a better nurse/ care coordinator. She answered questions and facilitated my care through the entirety of my treatment at Shady Grove.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Insurance covered the great majority of our costs- We paid just over $6,000 out of pocket.
Hagerstown

You will see whatever Dr is there for the day [at Shady Grove-Frederick]...I love my primary nurse. She has been great since we first met her and always returns my email and phone calls. She never makes me feel stupid for any question I ask and is always upfront with me. She was super sincere when she called after our transfer failed and is always positive when we talk on the phone...All of my issues were with the financial department. I felt like it was pulling teeth to get a timely response. She told us all the things insurance covered and what we would have to pay upfront and then it randomly changed for whatever reason and it took me a week to get her to respond as to why. Where she then told me that was only a quote and insurance can change their minds at any time which I was not made aware of from the start.
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
He was super nice from the first time we met. We had lots of questions and concerns and he took the time to answer everything and tell us in detail what our cycle would more than likely look like. He has been great to us thus far and the only bad thing I have to say is he haven’t done any of my procedures or transfers because I have to go to a bigger office for all of those. I’ve only ever actually seen him 3 times but he does go out of his way to call before all my procedures, egg retrieval and transfers which I really like. He also called after our failed transfer to tell me he was sorry it failed.
Just be aware that there is no guarantee that you will see him other than your consults/ any meetings you have with him. You will see whatever Dr is there for the day.
From our first consult Dr. Bromer really took his time to listen to us and our concerns. He went over all of our test results in detail and made sure we understood them. He personally called me the day of all of my procedures to wish me luck and tell me he will call me again in a few days to see how I’m doing. He also called me after our failed transfer to tell me he was sorry our transfer had failed and he couldn’t wait to start a new cycle with us.
We used ICSI instead of traditional IVF because my husband has a varicocele so it causes his count to be low and his morphology to be messed up. We retrieved 14 eggs and ended up with 6 blastocysts. He suggested we only transfer 1 for our first fresh transfer as we were so young and transfering more wouldn’t increase our success rate by much but it would increase our multiples chances by 50%. Our first cycle failed. He said frozen transfers have better success rates. And was fine with transfering 2 this time like we wanted. We’re currently in the TWW of our first FET second transfer.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I overall have had good experiences with Shady grove. The only department I’ve had issues with is the financial department. They slack big time. I would have to call her multiples times and email her multiple times to get an answer. She would act annoyed when I finally got ahold of her and it was always something. Thankfully we had to cancel when we were going to do our second transfer the first time because we were under the impression we didn’t have to pay anything they didn’t tell me we owed a $450 deposit until it was a week from when my transfer was supposed to be.
We had insurance coverage but for our first full round (retrieval and fresh transfer) plus our second frozen transfer it’s been roughly $3,000 including our co-pays, medication, embryo freezing and thawing costs.
He talked to us about the risks of transfering multiple embryos so we didn’t the first time. We talked about transferring two the second time and he was fine with that but he did make sure we really understood the risks of multiples.
Frederick

He is tactful and some what caring, however, we only saw him 2 times during our cycle. Needless to say, our time with Dr. Bromer was very limited. He didn't perform any of the sonograms, retrievals or transfers. We were always told how many eggs were retrieved but, "egg quality" was never discussed with us.... I was on the Vivelle Patch 0.1mg on day 10 after LH surge. I started Cetrotide(for 3 days) on day 2 of the patch. I started Gonal F 450 IU and Menopur 150 IU about 4 days after my last dose of Cetrotide. I was on those until my follicles we're ready and I restarted Cetrotide once a day.
There seems to be poor continuity of care [at Shady Grove-Hagerstown]. You have someone different most times during monitoring and each person counts a different amount of follicles. Each person tells you something different. They seem to want to do the same thing for everyone...the same protocol. Care should be individualized.... Small office which is great, however, on the weekends you have to go to a different office and people who know nothing about your care, is there to attempt to take care of you. During office visits you see multiple healthcare workers.
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
As questions and make sure you receive a clear answer. Don't expect to see him often and be prepared to deal with multiple (non-informed) healthcare workers during cycle.
There seems to be poor continuity of care. You have someone different most times during monitoring and each person counts a different amount of follicles. Each person tells you something different. They seem to want to do the same thing for everyone...the same protocol. Care should be individualized.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jeannette Zuvich & Mindi Cottrell)
The nurses were always nice and tried to answer questions to the best of their knowledge.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Small office which is great, however, on the weekends you have to go to a different office and people who know nothing about your care, is there to attempt to take care of you. During office visits you see multiple healthcare workers. It would be much better if there was some consistency.
Monitoring was horrible because of dealing with different staff and not having the same person. Monitoring is done first thing in the morning. You have to schedule it during the allotted time.
Multi- Cycle (2 Fresh) 21000
Dr. Bromer did not want to transfer more than 2 embryos even though we thought we should transfer 3.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Because there was no continuity of care and we were dealing with a different workers at each appointment, we were given conflicting information a lot of the time.

Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Very organized clinic, I had to go to [Shady Grove] Frederick office (smaller) and the main clinic at Rockville (bigger and busier), they have a good system in place. You dont see all the time the same providers (it depends of the office) but they treat you well in general...The clinic is very clean and comfy...she [nurse] did not comunicate very well with me and she was very impatient about my accent (foreign) and my questions...The other thing that I was not completely happy was the financial consultant, she answer emails sometimes and other times she didn’t.
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Bromer is a great Doctor I think, he listen as is very patient with multiple questions, he give you options but also tell you what is posible and not posible. He give you numbers if you ask which is good for people like me. The only think that I did not like is that you almost never see the Doctor. We have two appointments over the course of more than a year, one fresh cycle and one Frozen Embryo Transfer. He does not do any of the procederes, but he calls you the morning of the procedures to explain what is happening. So I am sure he was follow my progress and keep and eye on the results, but I still feel like it was a little bit too “virtual” relatinship. I think this is “standard” in this clinic, but they do a good job overall.
Keep in mind that you are not going to get a lot of visits with Dr. Bromer, so write all the questions that you have and ask in the first visit (is a long visit). If you have more questions after the visits just write an email to him or the nurse he will call you or answer by email.
Dr Bromer listen and answer questions in detail. For me that was the most important part of the care, expert knowledge to be able to make good decisions as patients.
We had male and female causes. Male due to poor morphology (they did 2 samples just to confirm), I had parcial blockage of one tube and hypothyroidism. So we decided to go directly to IVF, because morphology can affect fertilization specifically so we know it was a better change that trying inseminations, we also wanted to prevent high multiples pregnancy. I had good ovarian reserve and just turned 35 so we were just about time to start IVF with better prognosis as if we wait for me to be older. We did a fresh cycle and transfer one 6 day blastocyst, but it didn´t work with the fresh transfer. After that we did one FET with two 6- days blastocyst and currently I am pregnant, I did suffer from vanishing twin syndrome, so the 2 embryos attached, but then one died at 6 weeks. My fresh cycle was initially delay when they discover my hypotiroidism, so I had to start medication and control my TSH before actually starting the stimulation. We still have one embryo frozen and we hope to use it latter. Stimullation was hard, the retrieval was hard on my body (painful, bloating, lots of nausea), FET was so much easier even with the progesterone injections. I remember that I used gonal pen, menopur and a trigger shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Allison)
I have two nurses. The great one was Allison. I dont remember the name of the first one, not a good experience, bad communicator and not patient with patients, my husband and I asked Dr. Bromer if it was possible to change nurses and I am happy that we got Allison. She is very organized and answer all of your questions. It was great that I could just email her and she comunicate very well.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Very organized clinic, I had to go to Frederick office (smaller) and the main clinic at Rockville (bigger and busier), they have a good system in place. You dont see all the time the same providers (it depends of the office) but they treat you well in general, there is always somebody who is not a nice or is having a bad day, but considering that you have to go for so many visits, ultrasounds, blood draws and other procedures, that is not bad, almost everybody is nice. The clinic is very clean and comfy.
Insurance covered a lot of the IVF fresh cycle (most of medications, monitoring, egg retrieval), it also covered all the test to diagnose infertility. We had to pay all the copays for every visit off course (many visits), some money for the medication, this is like a another copay about 300 dollars, and then we had to pay a deposit for the retrieval, I think it was like 800 dollars, this is because is consider surgical procedure. Insurance did not cover cryopreservation (about 1800 first year). Insurance did not cover FET, I think it was another 1800 dollars per tranfer, they explain this is aetna rate, and it is supposed to be more money if is private.
He strongly recommends eSET, and explains risk and benefit. However the decision is yours. We did one eSET and then in the next cycle we transfer 2, we understood the risk.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
I had a bad experience with my first nurse coordinator (dont remember the name at Frederick, I tried to move fast to the next nurse to start my treatment in good hands). I feel like I was unlucky with the first one, she did not comunicate very well with me and she was very impatient about my accent (foreign) and my questions. I like to ask questions about my treatment (everything) and that seems to be an inconvenience for her. Because of her I went to the clinic when I was not supposed to be there, my husband understood the same indications, so I am pretty sure if was not my mistake. I think we did not click, our personalities (my husband also), but after that my new nurse was great. Big difference. The other thing that I was not completely happy was the financial consultant, she answer emails sometimes and other times she didn’t. We have insurance and we wanted to use it, but the financial consultant tell us multiple times (we only neeed to heard that one time) like “other people pay 30,000 dollars for this…so why…dont you consider that”…so…we feel like it was bad from her point of view to try to use or insurance for our infertility treatment. We had great coverage (thanks god) and still had to pay a lot of money for the things that the insurance didn´t cover. Maybe she pushes too much about paying for the program instead of trying to educate about how to use all the resources in hand (insurance) before going all private.

Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
He [Dr. Jason Bromer] eased my husband's mind with his incredible scientific facts and figures. On top of his tremendous knowledge and experience, he's a real person, with a big heart. I know he's pulling for us and adjusts our treatments as needed for the best outcome. When a doctor calls you from vacation on his personal cell phone, you know you have a keeper!!!
I can't even say enough about the nursing staff at SGF Frederick. Allison is my lifeline and I could not do this without her. She is so organized and candid and answers even my most ridiculous TMI questions!!!...Michelle the phlebotomist is one of kind. I have THE WORST veins and she hits them every time - all the while chatting with me about our passions for organic foods and beauty products!! When we had our miscarriage, all of the women from the office: Allison, Michelle, Zoe, Jen and Dr. Bromer came in a cried with us. They are family to us and we are soooo happy to have them on our team!!!
Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Doctor Bromer was able to ease my mind by telling me he believed we could have a biological baby. He eased my husband's mind with his incredible scientific facts and figures. On top of his tremendous knowledge and experience, he's a real person, with a big heart. I know he's pulling for us and adjusts our treatments as needed for the best outcome. When a doctor calls you from vacation on his personal cell phone, you know you have a keeper!!!
Ask questions. No matter how scary or intimate. He's a doctor and a human and will answers them all, honestly.
After a spontaneous pregnancy resulted in my 1st ectopic pregnancy, Dr. Bromer called me from his personal cell, from vacation, while I was in the hospital. I am currently I going round 3 of IVF with him and I am confident we will have a baby. He is so compassionate and empathetic - I can't imagine doing his journey without him!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Allison Catalani)
I can't even say enough about the nursing staff at SGF Frederick. Allison is my lifeline and I could not do this without her. She is so organized and candid and answers even my most ridiculous TMI questions!!! When we have a baby I can't wait to treat her to a glass (or a bottle - she deserves it!) of champagne!! Michelle the phlebotomist is one of kind. I have THE WORST veins and she hits them every time - all the while chatting with me about our passions for organic foods and beauty products!! When we had our miscarriage, all of the women from the office: Allison, Michelle, Zoe, Jen and Dr. Bromer came in a cried with us. They are family to us and we are soooo happy to have them on our team!!!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Our IVF is covered by insurance, but not the PGS testing.
Frederick

I have found Dr Bromer to be very considerate and straightforward. I absolutely trust his decisions. Another thing I appreciate is that he is aware that we pay out of pocket for all services and medication and actually takes that into consideration. It's nice to deal with someone who is realistic about that aspect as well...I was monitored frequently and dosages were adjusted several times. One egg retrieval complete, 12 eggs, 11 mature, 10 fertilized, 4 made it to blast. Fresh transfer at 5 days was unsuccessful, doing first frozen embryo transfer right now, using IM injections of del estrogen and progesterone and oral estrace to prepare/maintain lining.
My nurse [at Shady Grove] is available for questions via email which I find tremendously helpful. If she's not in the office she always has an auto responder saying exactly when she will return and who to contact should you have a more urgent question. She helps adjust protocols to work around travel commitments. She always returns my emails and calls...We received a 10% discount on all services through their shared help program. Shared risk IVF with ICSI $19800. Meds not included. IUIs $1440 HSG $621 Follow up appointments with Dr Bromer $140 (he was kind enough to do the last over the phone for free)
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Just be aware that he is willing to work with your obgyn, if it's applicable to your situation, to pursue lower tech treatments first.
I did 3 cycles of clomid with timed intercourse (no monitoring), then 3 IUIs with clomid and a trigger shot. 2 of those IUIs yielded just one, fast developing follicle. None were successful. Now pursuing IVF. Stimmed with gonal f, menopur, and cetritide. I was monitored frequently and dosages were adjusted several times. One egg retrieval complete, 12 eggs, 11 mature, 10 fertilized, 4 made it to blast. Fresh transfer at 5 days was unsuccessful, doing first frozen embryo transfer right now, using IM injections of del estrogen and progesterone and oral estrace to prepare/maintain lining.
My nurse is available for questions via email which I find tremendously helpful. If she's not in the office she always has an auto responder saying exactly when she will return and who to contact should you have a more urgent question. She helps adjust protocols to work around travel commitments. She always returns my emails and calls.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The Shared Risk Program is one of the best things about IVF at Shady Grove. I don't know if we would have pursued further treatment otherwise. They are really good at informing you of results via phone but they do not have an online patient portal where I can look up past results, which is annoying. They are responsive to phone messages. I once left one at 11:30 on a Saturday night and got a call back at 8am Sunday morning. You can do monitoring appointments at any of their locations even if your Dr isn't based there. This is convenient because if you are doing some of the more advanced treatments you may have to go in daily or almost daily for ultrasound and bloodwork and some locations work better on some days. Not all locations are open on weekends or offer all services so you may have to travel a little further than you like sometimes. I rarely see my Dr in person, but he reviews my results and makes treatment decisions, which works fine. If you want to physically see your Dr everytime you go in, you probably won't.
These are our out of pocket costs. We received a 10% discount on all services through their shared help program. Shared risk IVF with ICSI $19800. Meds not included. IUIs $1440 HSG $621 Follow up appointments with Dr Bromer $140 (he was kind enough to do the last over the phone for free)
Dr Bromer recommended eSET, but ultimately left the choice to me. I followed his recommendation to transfer one embryo for my fresh transfer and Frozen transfer.
Frederick

Since we're still undergoing course of treatment, what I can say is that I have felt in control of our treatment plan. Whenever I have questions, they [Dr. Jason Bromer and staff] are answered in a timely manner and explained with attention to detail...My insurance covered most of the diagnostic testing but did not cover medications or IVF. We invested in the Shared Risk Program which included 6 rounds of egg retrievals and unlimited FET transfers. This cost for this program was $22k.
They [Shady Grove] are very organized and return calls/emails quickly; I have never had to wait a full day for a returned phone call or test/monitoring/procedure results. If I had anything negative to say, it would be that the wait time for monitoring appointments, especially in the Rockville office, sometimes take longer than the actual appointment itself. I would also say that I realize they see a lot of patients each day and they are always very thorough, caring and I have never felt like a "number". I also like the fact that monitoring appointments are from 7:00-8:30a.m. making it easy to get to an appointment before work and not miss as much time from work.
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Since we're still undergoing course of treatment, what I can say is that I have felt in control of our treatment plan. Whenever I have questions, they are answered in a timely manner and explained with attention to detail.
Bring all your questions!
Receive phone calls to check up on how I'm doing. Test results are always relayed in the timeframe set. We felt like we were given options and worked with our doctor to come up with one that worked for us.
Gonal F redi-ject pen Menopur Cetrotide Luprolide Estradiol Endometrin
Super friendly and detail oriented. Timely and direct. Very positive attitude.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They are very organized and return calls/emails quickly; I have never had to wait a full day for a returned phone call or test/monitoring/procedure results. If I had anything negative to say, it would be that the wait time for monitoring appointments, especially in the Rockville office, sometimes take longer than the actual appointment itself. I would also say that I realize they see a lot of patients each day and they are always very thorough, caring and I have never felt like a "number". I also like the fact that monitoring appointments are from 7:00-8:30a.m. making it easy to get to an appointment before work and not miss as much time from work.
Monitoring appointments were M-F between 7:00-8:30a.m. in the Frederick location. I did like the fact that the Rockville location had later monitoring appointments when I needed to be monitored on the weekends.
We agreed on a single embryo transfer. However, he doesn't recommend any more than transferring two embryos.
Hagerstown

Dr. Bromer treated everyone as if he was in their shoes because he and his wife experienced the same thing. He does not leave any information out and is quick and efficient with his work. He has an answer for everything!... Our IvF was successful but I miscarried at 16 weeks from incompetent cervix. Dr. bromer called me the day after to say how sorry he was and that when we were ready he would be waiting for us and would help us with whatever we needed. He is such a kind and caring man.
[Shady Grove Fertility is a ]Calm and happy environment. Nice music playing and never loud or obnoxious staff. The blood draw section is very nice and private yet open and friendly at the same time. The new building they moved to is easy to locate and welcoming.... Monitoring appointments were quick and easy! Either blood first then ultrasound or if blood is backed up then ultrasound first. The staff are very fast and do not keep you waiting.
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Do not be afraid to ask questions. There is no judgement. Dr bromer is there to help in any away he can.
Dr. Bromer understood our struggle and did what was right for us from the start. A successful IUI resulting in a loss at 8 weeks, then a second IUI cycle that was cancelled due to two many follicles growing and then doing IVF so if I over stimulated it would not mess anything up. Our IvF was successful but I miscarried at 16 weeks from incompetent cervix. Dr. bromer called me the day after to say how sorry he was and that when we were ready he would be waiting for us and would help us with whatever we needed. He is such a kind and caring man.
After all my baseline tests came back good, we started IUI as the first low technology way to help conceive and it was successful until I miscarried. I responded great to the clomid. Second IUI I didn't respond to any clomid even after inxreasing the dosing so we switched to injectables which over stimulated me. After that 70 day cycle we let it go and then started IVF after a period. IVF was much easier and smoother than expected. All dates and times to do certain things and changes were well communicated and accurate. I was not afraid at all.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Allison Cantalini)
Very helpful and answered all of my crazy questions! If she was out any other nurse was happy to help as if they knew me. Everyone felt like family to me!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The IUI was not as expensive as originally expected which was nice. Meds are not bad until you get to the price of injectables. My insurance covered First IvF so that was nice.
Dr bromer did not want to risk multiples since I am young, so we transferred one which I agreed with.
Hagerstown

[Dr. Jason Bromer] is a kind and caring physician. He went through our whole cycle and plan for treatment. He answered all questions and was knowledgeable in infertility. Our two IUI cycles were pretty normal, they just didn't work for us to get pregnant. He was a great doctor even if it didn't allow us to conceive.... He was thorough and informative. He was very nice and really cared about us as people and patients.
The clinic [Shady Grove-Frederick] is clean, new and well equipped for every need. They front desk workers are welcoming and nice. They have separate people to draw the blood so you don't have to wait long. The staff is organized and helpful. The rooms, waiting room and bathrooms are clean and we'll maintained.... All of the nursing staff are caring and kind people. They were knowledgeable with our treatment plan and also on fertility and infertility. They used email to communicate which was great and easy to do. Also had quick response time. Their actions and words really reflected how much they loved their jobs and wanted their patients to experience pregnancy.
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr Broker is a kind and caring physician. He went through our whole cycle and plan for treatment. He answered all questions and was knowledgeable in infertility. Our two IUI cycles were pretty normal, they just didn't work for us to get pregnant. He was a great doctor even if it didn't allow us to conceive.
Just be honest and ask questions. Sometimes it's easy to get lost in the terminology and can be overwhelming but if you don't understand something, ask.
With my PCOS, I had to be on metformin for a couple months before we started any of the IUI cycles. Once it was time to do them, I would have a period induced then was then prescribed and took a similar medicine to Clomid. I had many intravaginal exams to check my ovaries and egg counts. When the time was right, I have myself the injection to ovulate. 36 hours later, we would go to the office for our procedure. I took progesterone for 15 days afterwards until it was time for the pregnancy test. I didn't end up pregnant but I had a perfect cycle from start to finish.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Allison )
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic is clean, new and well equipped for every need. They front desk workers are welcoming and nice. They have separate people to draw the blood so you don't have to wait long. The staff is organized and helpful. The rooms, waiting room and bathrooms are clean and we'll maintained.
Our insurance covered the pre procedure visits which would have been around $600 each time. Our IUI procedure was around $1800 but they offer financial discount and we got 30% off.

IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Bromer called us several times during the process to let us know the status of our treatment/embryos... I felt like he truly cared about our success. He was very candid about our chances and treatment options, and we fully trusted he was giving us the best care. We were from out of state, but Dr. Bromer still communicated with us through the entire process...We used donor egg bc I was diagnosed with premature ovarian failure.
I also liked that Shady Grove designates a nurse for your care, so I spoke with the same nurse our entire cycle which allowed me to always have open communication/ answers to my questions...For us, strengths were their donor pool/ program and the 1:3 shared risk program. We wouldn’t have risked treatment without it. I didn’t experience any weaknesses during my treatment cycle. We truly had a wonderful experience and thanks to Shady Grove we have our miracle baby.
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
We absolutely loved Dr. Bromer! I felt like he truly cared about our success. He was very candid about our chances and treatment options, and we fully trusted he was giving us the best care. We were from out of state, but Dr. Bromer still communicated with us through the entire process. I also liked that Shady Grove designates a nurse for your care, so I spoke with the same nurse our entire cycle which allowed me to always have open communication/ answers to my questions even if Dr. Bromer wasn’t available. We were successful with DE our first transfer, and I couldn’t be happier with my care.
Just trust the process. It can be overwhelming, but the end result is totally worth it. Come to the consultation with lots of questions, bc it will help you understand what to expect.
We used donor egg bc I was diagnosed with premature ovarian failure. For my cycle, I was on birth control to synch my cycles with the other recipients( in the 1:3 shared risk program) then was on Lupron for a week to prevent ovulating. Then on endometrium every 3 days, and progesterone in oil for the 5 days leading up to transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Doris Thomas)
Our nurse was wonderful! We were in constant communication through the entire process. She even let me know when she wasn’t going to be at work so I knew not to contact someone else with questions that day. Truly wonderful, warm and compassionate
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
30,000 for shared risk DE program. We got 6 tries or our money back if not successful
Given our age, and chances of success Dr. Bromer advised a singe embryo transfer. But we discussed on several occasions leading up to transfer if that was still what we wanted. It was ultimately our decision.
Rockville

Meet him [Dr. Bromer] 3 times to discuss options but never felt heard, he never made me feel comfortable and could not figure out why I was unable to become pregnant....I feel dismissed, never got an answer why I could not get pregnant, was not sympathetic with our jpurney. The last meeting he told us that his wife and him also had fertility issues. Would have been nice to have known upfront as that was the appointment he was relatable to.
[Shady Grove] Unorganized, rude, overpriced and charged you more than you were told and then would send you a refund after you advocated that your co-pay was not what was quoted. I called the financial department many times and I would not receive return calls for days....Lost paperwork, when I left Dr. Bromers office for a different clinic the paperwork was not sent. My results were not communicated to me in a timely fashion.
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be your advocate, make sure your concerns are heard.
Meet him 3 times to discuss options but never felt heard, he never made me feel comfortable and could not figure out why I was unable to become pregnant.
Our 1st IUI was not medicated, 2 others were with Clomid, estrace, did a trigger but cannot remember the name.
Toni was my nurse, she was unorganized, did not really know what protocol we were going to do. She was out of the office on maternity leave for a couple months and no one told us and when she returned she snapped at me and said I was rude to her. She told me that her pregnancy was not planned and said that none of her 4 pregnancies were and it would happen for us also. That was not something to tell a same sex couple who are struggling with unexplained fertility.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Non medicated was cheaper, approximately $3000.
Frederick

Dr. Bromer is a sweet and gentle man. He will be honest in a compassionate way. He is understanding about financial limitations. He is a good communicator. He doesn't mind you emailing him and he will be timely about getting back to your emails.... He did paperwork for me so I could apply for grants. He emailed me about foundations that were offering grants when I couldn't even get the financial counselor to do that for me.
I did not like nurse Catalani [at Shady Grove-Frederick]. She seemed disorganized. She put me down for timed intercourse once when I told her we were doing IUI. She called me and left me a voicemail message once with another woman's test results. She never seemed compassionate toward me... The financial coordinator only got back to me once in a while when I called or emailed, although she is a nice woman.
European, Ashkenazi Jewish, Middle Eastern
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Bromer doesn't seem to see things as better than they are, like my first fertility doctor, so go to him if you want the truth.
Dr. Bromer has been such a nice, caring and honest Dr. He told me the sad truth but in a compassionate way. He always checks emails I send him in a timely manner and even if he is on vacation! He did paperwork for me so I could apply for grants. He emailed me about foundations that were offering grants when I couldn't even get the financial counselor to do that for me.
The only strategy Dr. Bromer used for my IUI's was to put me on Letrozole.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Alison Catalani)
I did not like nurse Catalani. She seemed disorganized. She put me down for timed intercourse once when I told her we were doing IUI. She called me and left me a voicemail message once with another woman's test results. She never seemed compassionate toward me.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Some of the nurses are not compassionate and seem disorganized. The financial coordinator only got back to me once in a while when I called or emailed, although she is a nice woman. The financial coordinator was not realistic about my husband's infertility and my first fertility doctor, Dr. Esposito, was not realistic in the least about my husband's infertility.
They charged about $350 for IUI. That was with sperm cleansing. They charged like around $250 I think for a transvaginal ultrasound.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
One time, I wasn't told by my nurse that my husband needed to sign a paper before I got IUI and it was such a hassle to get him to sign the paper bf the IUI. I talked to Dr. Esposito in 2014 about the antibodies attacking my husband's sperm bc he had a successful reversal but I still couldn't get pregnant. She said, " The Doctor I trained with didn't believe in them." So it sounded like Dr. Esposito didn't believe in antibodies attacking the sperm either. Dr. Bromer told me that the antibodies have attacked my husband's sperm and made the sperm unable to bind with and penetrate my eggs. I emailed the financial coordinator in 2017 about foundations that offer grants and she never got back to me so I asked Dr. Bromer instead.

15 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Bromer is truly passionate about what he does, and cares for his patients. He was always honest with me about risks, and potential outcomes, allowing me to make an informed consent...Don't hesitate to be open and honest with him. He is very non-judgemental and provides direct information with compassion...I don't remember the exact protocol, but over about 17 days I injected myself with agonists to produce follicles, and went in for ultrasounds and bloodwork to follow my estrogen level and number of follicles. I then started a medication to stop ovulation. Once there were a lot of follicles, I took medication to mature them and two days later had the egg retrieval.
It [Shady Grove] was a well-oiled machine, but there were limited hours on the weekend so you had to schedule around that. I spent more time waiting ok the weekends, but was usually in and out during the week...My primary nurse did a great job keeping me informed and also helped me prepare well for each step. She was usually available for questions but made sure I had access to a nurse after hours. The one time I needed to call that line the staff was quite helpful in walking me through the next steps in my protocol.
15 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Bromer is kind, knowledgeable and highly skilled. I am very pleased with my experience with him, and would use him again without hesitation, if needed. Because I lived far from his office, he was able to monitor me remotely from a different Shady Grove location. I was still able to reach him whenever I had a question.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jeannette )
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Because Shady Grove has multiple locations, it is easy to find locations close to you for daily monitoring. They are well organized and connected, so that your primary doctor and nurse get your results and contact you daily to update you. They have done many procedures and have great success rates.
It was a well-oiled machine, but there were limited hours on the weekend so you had to schedule around that. I spent more time waiting ok the weekends, but was usually in and out during the week.

PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Bromer is honest in how he feels about everything. He states facts from what studies have shown for whatever is going on with you. If you dont ever understand something hes saying, just ask again, he will explain again without making you feel uneasy for asking again. If you are home and think of somethinf you want to ask. Just call or email him. He will ALWAYS get back with you. He was a great a doctor and we are forever grateful he was our doctor...
Loved her [nurse] and all the staff [at Shady Grove]! Miss them everyday! She and they were serious about their work but also made me feel as family! Any questions i had, toni was always there to answer all my annoying or repeated questions! They are truely the best nurses and staff around! I dont think anybody could beat my experience with them! Again i just absolutely love them and couldnt be more thankful for them not giving up on me and being there for me through all the ups and downs! They are forever family to me and my soon to be twins!
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don't lose faith if you doesnt work out the first few times... it will happen as long as you keep faith.
They treated me like family. The positive pregnancy beta was the best day and the hardest day because i knew that meant i wouldnt be seeing them anymore. I couldnt thank them enough for what they did for my husband and I and how they made me feel. Even during all the negatives, they were the ones that helped keep my strength to keep going. We will forever be grateful!
Pills- clomid... my eggs took awhile to respond Clomid plus some injections- same issue Injections- they would grow good but sometimes too many so as soon as dose was lowered to take away the risk of over stimulating, only one or two would continue. Injections for ivf- great results. Ended with 6 good embryos. Two that we transferred and 4 that we froze!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Toni Benjamin )
Loved her and all the staff! Miss them everyday! She and they were serious about their work but also made me feel as family! Any questions i had, toni was always there to answer all my annoying or repeated questions! They are truely the best nurses and staff around! I dont think anybody could beat my experience with them! Again i just absolutely love them and couldnt be more thankful for them not giving up on me and being there for me through all the ups and downs! They are forever family to me and my soon to be twins!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Great communication Caring Responsible On their game!
It all in the mornings. I never had a issue. They always got me in whenever it was needed
Only had $30 co pays plus copays for medications
Dr bromer peeferred one embryo and told us how the chances we high for us with just one. We chose to do two, and even tho he tried to sway us the other way, he let us proceed with what we thought was best
Frederick

[Dr. Bromer has an...] Excellent bed side manner, treated me as an individual and not a statistic, always made himself available to talk and address questions/concerns, never rushed us, always laid out the pros and cons and set expectations, compassionate and wanted to see us succeed as much as we wanted to succeed. He was a gladiator for us, helping us to fight our way through infertility. I could not imagine having such success with anyone else.
If there is any weakness at all [at Shady Grove - Hagerstown], I'd say the wait time in Rockville for monitoring during the week. It gets pretty busy, and they tend to run behind there. A modest price to pay for success though!...[Nurse] Toni was excellent! She was always communicating with me, even at 5:00 on a Friday evening she'd call to discuss questions/concerns. Between the first and second cycle, my menses never started, so labs were ordered. She noticed that my follicles were stagnant, no lead follicle, and asked Dr. Bromer if I could begin cycling again right away. It was on this secon cycle that I produced 9 eggs. She was always rooting for us and instrumental in our success...
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Bromer was amazing in every sense. Excellent bed side manner, treated me as an individual and not a statistic, always made himself available to talk and address questions/concerns, never rushed us, always laid out the pros and cons and set expectations, compassionate and wanted to see us succeed as much as we wanted to succeed. He was a gladiator for us, helping us to fight our way through infertility. I could not imagine having such success with anyone else.
I've read a few comments about him not seeing patients during monitoring or procedures, but just because he's not there in person, he's closely monitoring everything and is actively engaged in your cycling. He always makes himself available to answer questions and address concerns. Personally, I'd rather have a doctor who gets results, rather than hold my hand during the monitoring or procedures.
Dr. Bromer was so easy to talk to. We discussed both high and low stimulation protocols and made the decision to go with high stims. He layer out injection refining for me, but changed it periodically based on my monitoring results. At a previous clinic, the doctor was only willing to use 1 protocol and would not make any adjustments based on monitoring results,. I ended up having a cancelled retrieval at that clinic and a broken heart.
We did a high stimulation protocol. I started with estrogen priming and then Gonal F 450 and Menopur. The Menopur kept getting adjusted based on my labs. Towards the end of the cycle, I was giving myself 3-4 vial injections of menopur. I also used Ganirelix once the lead follicle hit a particular size. On this protocol, I produced 5 eggs on one cycle and 9 on the following cycle.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
If there is any weakness at all, I'd say the wait time in Rockville for monitoring during the week. It gets pretty busy, and they tend to run behind there. A modest price to pay for success though!
My insurance paid for it, but I believe 1 round of IVF was about $10,000
Hagerstown

My first IUI cycle [with Shady Grove Fertility] was canceled due to overstimulation so he cut back on the dosage of Clomid. He added injectable medications for IUI cycles after the oral medications resulted in negative pregnancy tests...For my FET I was part of a study and used vaginal progesterone with a positive result and a live birth...Dr. Bromer was very compassionate and took the time to talk and answered any questions we had. He didn’t make us feel rushed to get in and out of the office. He was very supportive after we lost our twins from our fresh cycle at 22 weeks gestation.
Everyone from the front desk receptionist, the nurses, doctors and those in the lab [at Shady Grove] were always very friendly and greeted us with a smile. Monday’s were always very busy days so you could almost guarantee there was going to be a little bit of a wait in the waiting room...Jeannette [nurse] was wonderful and very compassionate. She always returned calls the same day and was very helpful.
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
I honestly can not think of any weaknesses for Dr. Bromer. He was always available when I had any questions and available through email when the office was closed. He was always quick to respond. Both my husband and I felt very comfortable being in his care. After our loss we went in to speak to him 6 months later and he truly cared and you could see him holding back tears.
Don’t be afraid to ask him anything. He is very intelligent and shows that he truly cares about his patients.
My first IUI cycle was canceled due to overstimulation so he cut back on the dosage of Clomid. He added injectable medications for IUI cycles after the oral medications resulted in negative pregnancy tests. We had to do so many IUI’s due to insurance before we could move on to IVF. It’s hard for me to remember the medications for the IVF cycle, but in the end I had 4 blastocysts. For my FET I was part of a study and used vaginal progesterone with a positive result and a live birth.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jeannette Zuvich)
Jeannette was wonderful and very compassionate. She always returned calls the same day and was very helpful.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Everyone from the front desk receptionist, the nurses, doctors and those in the lab were always very friendly and greeted us with a smile. Monday’s were always very busy days so you could almost guarantee there was going to be a little bit of a wait in the waiting room.
Monday was a monitoring day and it got a little busy in the waiting area. We always tried to get an early appointment due to working night shift and going after work.
It’s hard to remember the exact costs but I know the FET was $4,600 and we were part of a research study so the medications were free. Our fresh IVF cycle was somewhere around $10,000. My insurance at the time covered a large part of the medications.
My doctor strongly encouraged eSET when we decided to transfer two embryos. He went over all the risks of a multiple pregnancy.