Medical SchoolBrown
FellowshipNorthwestern
9601 Blackwell Road, 4th and 5th floors
Rockville, MD 20850
301.340.1188
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Jeanne O'Brien to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shady Grove Fertility to a friend?
2012 - 2017
There is a bit of a disconnect between her [Dr. O'Brien] and her nurses...Dr. O'Brien told us up front that given all of our conditions it would be like finding a needle in a haystacks, but she was very persistent and after 4 years we finally got pregnant. She went out of her way to ensure she was available to do our retrievals and transfers...Our main objective was to produce as many eggs as possible since we were dealing with male infertility issues. She ensured the top embryologist was available during the retrieval for the ICSI afterwards. Additionally she was very receptive to our ideas re: protocol.
2012 - 2017
How was your experience with Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
There is a bit of a disconnect between her and her nurses.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. O'Brien was very engaging Calling us directly to explain results. Emailing us to discuss options. She was receptive to our ideas.
Describe the protocols Jeanne O'Brien used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Dr. Debbie Rice)
We're actually in the middle of a transition. I loved our nurse Debbie Rice and even though she no longer supported Dr. O'Brien she was still assigned to us so we could work with the same nurse throughout so she would work with Dr. O'Brien even though she worked for another doctor. For this upcoming cycle we have to work with a new nurse for the first time as Debbie is out on medical leave. We have already been disappointed. Debbie was so accommodating to our schedules and requests whereas our new nurse (Jessica Buggs) hasn't made any effort at all. It is so disappointing I hope it doesn't negatively affect our final cycle
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
My biggest criticism with the clinic is their financial department. They are so money grubbing its disgusting. I have a $5K balance after one cycle because of course they collect all the money up front without factoring in all of the insurance available. They never told me about this balance they owed me. I noticed it after one follow up visit and asked why they hadn't refunded me. They explained they assumed I would just use it towards my next cycle. First off, I didn't have another cycle planned at the time And secondly, they didn't connect the dots and realize that my insurance covered most all of the treatment so I would never owe them $5K for a cycle...Since then I have burned through all of my insurance benefits, but this was not the case at the time. Also they didn't explain when I would owe the money so I checked out at an appt early on in my first cycle and the Finance person told me I owed thousands of dollars It caught me completely off guard. They have since included some language around when money is due. Additionally, they accidentally thawed my husband's sperm without telling us but continued to charge us the storage fee. This was huge and they didn't see it as a big deal. When male infertility is the diagnosis and we felt the sperm at the time was good enough to freeze-its a big deal!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility.
I had great coverage for the first 3 rounds and then we started carrying two insurances but I believe it was around $8K per round as my husband had to have procedures as well And we had to have genetic testing as we are both CF carriers.
Describe Jeanne O'Brien's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Since I did not have poor egg quality, Dr. O'Brien didn't feel multiple embryo transfer was a necessary route to go. Additionally we just didn't have multiple embryos to transfer at any given time
2 IVF, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
2 IVF, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. O'Brien is an absolute gem!!! My experience as her patient was nothing short of incredible and nurturing. Throughout my journey, Dr. O'Brien was always compassionate, nurturing, and responsive. I think that a big reason why I was able to remain as positive as I was throughout the process was because of Dr. O'Brien and her support of me. I am someone who wants to know all of the details and have a thorough plan. Dr. O'Brien was sensitive to this and always took time to explain test results and their implication on next steps/my treatment plan. I know I have only scratched the surface in describing just how wonderful Dr. O'Brien is, but she is nothing short of spectacular. My mother and I have been singing her praises to anyone who will listen. I love Dr. O'Brien and am so grateful for the amazing gift she has given me. Words cannot do justice to the love and appreciation I have for her. She will always have a special place in my heart. If I could remain under her care until the birth of my baby, I would without hesitation.
The one piece of advice that I would give a prospective patient of Dr. O'Brien is to trust her and have faith. There is noone who will fight harder for you (other than you, of course) in realizing your dream of parenthood.
Dr. O'Brien was always compassionate and took time to talk to me about next steps in my treatment plan. She made adjustments to my treatment plan based on how I was feeling and always shared enough information so that decisions were well-informed. I have always felt that Dr. O'Brien saw me as more than just a patient/case. She saw me as a woman who desperately wanted to realize a dream of being a mother and she helped me accomplish that dream.
I do not remember much about my treatment protocols. For my egg retrieval, I used Menopur (increased dosing following monitoring appts), Follistim (300), and Cetrotide. I think the trigger was HCG. For transfer, I began with daily IM shots of progesterone in oil and 2x daily estrodial tabs (vaginal). Then, I introduced 3x daily progesterone suppositories and switched to IM progesterone in oil shots to once every 3 days (in addition to 2x daily estrodial tabs).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Buggs)
Jessica was compassionate, organized, communicative, and responsive. She was always willing to answer my questions (and ease my worries), responding to my emails and phone calls in a timely manner. She and Dr. O'Brien are the dynamic duo! I would not have made it through this journey without the support and encouragement of Jessica. She is a wonderful asset to the team at SGF and will always have a special place in my heart.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Among SGF's strengths are the office climate (everyone was friendly, warm, and welcoming at SGF), organization, and supportive environment. They set the bar high for patient care and you should expect to compare your experience at other offices against your experience at SGF. No matter who you engage with, you can be sure that you will be treated with respect, your questions will be answered, and that promises will be kept (if they say they will look into something for you or find out the answer to a question...they will follow through). Everything about my experience at SGF was positive.
My out of pocket expenses at SGF were no more than a few hundred dollars (co-pays)....maybe $600 including the out-of-pocket counseling service required of patients using donor sperm. I paid about $2000 for PGS testing and another $900 for the donor sperm. Medicine cost me under $200 total. The greater majority of my medical expenses were covered by insurance.
Because of my age, Dr. O'Brien recommended eSET and made me aware of the risks of multiple embryo transfer.
4 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Dr. O'Brien is a busy person, to be sure, but I never had a day where I had a question or concern that I didn't at least get a return phone call by the end of the day. Her positivity is contagious and she was always ready with a plan b or c when plan A didn't work. As someone who despises going to the doctor it truly suprised me the day I realized that I saw here as more of a friend than a doctor. If you need someone in your corner, someone to keep faith that this will work even when you've lost all yours, Dr. OBrien is a great choice...
4 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
I went to Dr O'Brien after having a rather negative experience with a different doctor and it was like night and day. Our case was a little unconventional. Because of how far away we lived from Rockville, we didn't meet Dr O'Brien in person until the day of egg retrieval but we both felt like we already knew each other from various phone interactions. Dr. O'Brien is a busy person, to be sure, but I never had a day where I had a question or concern that I didn't at least get a return phone call by the end of the day. Her positivity is contagious and she was always ready with a plan b or c when plan A didn't work. As someone who despises going to the doctor it truly suprised me the day I realized that I saw here as more of a friend than a doctor. If you need someone in your corner, someone to keep faith that this will work even when you've lost all yours, Dr. OBrien is a great choice
Ask questions. You'll feel better knowing all the answers. And trust her when she says she'll make it work. She doesn't give up :)
While my nurse, Effie often called with day to day results, Dr OBrien always followed up with a phone call if the results were something important. She was very respectful of my feelings (and since I was on lots of hormones there were LOTS of feelings) and she always stayed hopeful. I felt very loved and cared for under her care
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is a big clinic, so yes you sometimes feel a bit like a number, but if you find the right Doctor and Nurse, the long road of infertility suddenly doesnt seem so dark and lonely
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
She [Dr. O'Brien] genuinely wants to achieve success. She is smart, up to date on current literature, studies and treatments... She is available via email as well. Have questions ready and she will be ready to answer them for you...she used less medication than the other clinic and results were immediately better...is forthright and compassionate. She was very responsive and took time to explain our options and predict potential outcomes.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
We came to Dr. O'Brien after having failure after multiple (3 x IUI, 2 x IVF) cycles at another clinic. It was honestly like night and day. I was becoming reasonably certain I would not find success and so was attracted to the 100% guarantee of Shady Grove. Dr. O'Brien was honest, direct, and forthright. As a provider myself this meant a lot to me. I was already 2 years into the process and didn't want anyone blowing proverbial smoke. We had success with her on our very first try.
She genuinely wants to achieve success. She is smart, up to date on current literature, studies and treatments. Listen to her. She is available via email as well. Have questions ready and she will be ready to answer them for you.
Dr. O'Brien is forthright and compassionate. She was very responsive and took time to explain our options and predict potential outcomes.
I don't clearly remember. I do recall she used less medication than the other clinic and results were immediately better.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
I cannot recall my nurse's name but she was prompt and responsive. She answered all my questions. Kendra Noll was the care coordinator. She is outstanding. When I first called for an appointment at Shady Grove she spent nearly an hour on the phone with me. It was like talking to an old girlfriend. Her compassion and understanding and patience are remarkable.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Coming from another clinic to Shady Grove was like night and day. Shady Grove was so much more timely, organized, efficient, and their technology appeared so much more up to date. I cannot say enough good things about Shady Grove.
Roughly 30K for IVF, PGS, and 100% guarantee.
I chose eSET. I would have rather more trials and a healthy pregnancy. She was supportive of my choice.
Rockville
I loved Dr. O'Brien and would highly recommend her. I found her kind, compassionate, very knowledgeable, and communicative about my case and my procedures.she listened to my concerns and my questions and took the time to fully explain everything as I asked....My egg retrieval was delayed because they failed to tell me that there was a bmi limit...She is very personable and warm and always took time to answer my questions. She genuinely cared about me and my results and wanted this for me....
How was your experience with Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
Since I'm a high responder with PCOS and overweight we used a drug that was not clomid for IUIs. I can't remember the Name. We also took a conservative approach since I had not tried to get pregnant previously. As the IUIs were not successful we increased dosages of the drugs and ultimately moved to ivf. The ivf protocol was for a high responder and it was successful first round.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Shawn Thompson )
Shawn is amazing. She's very kind, patient, and compassionate. She took time to explain everything to me, and always answered all of my questions of which I had many. She was also very kind and compassionate when I had unsuccessful are you eyes time and time again and very encouraging for the process of IVF.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
It is very expensive to do this process and Shady Grove is one of the more expensive places. It also can feel like a baby factory at times. I know that they are following their protocols based on research, but at times in speaking with other people going through the same process it started to feel like we were just all thrown in and following the same thing.
IUIs with donor sperm and meds were roughly $1500 a procedure with insurance. Ivf with icsi was $15500 with no insurance.
I did pgs, and since I have chronic hypertension having multiples was a huge risk. Since the embryos were tested and I had three normal ones, we decided transferring one would be the best option and the safest option for me and a future baby.
2010 - 2015
IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Other
I fully believe without her [Dr. Jeanne O'Brien] determination, compassion, positive and hopeful spirit we may have lost hope ourselves and would have given up. She firmly believed we would eventually become a family, and by placing our trust in her judgment in our treatment plan we have. She gave us every reason to hope and believe at every negative/setback. She is an asset to Shady Grove Fertility Center. I recommend everyone I know experiencing infertility to Dr O'Brien for care because I believe 100% in her abilities, and I know she will treat every patient as special as she made us feel.
2010 - 2015
IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Other
How was your experience with Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. O'Brien seemed to be perfectly matched to us. Much like myself, she was very determined and positive about our infertility journey. She always made us feel like we were the only patient she had, taking time to answer any questions and detailing our plans as we moved forward with each cycle. We felt very supported by Dr O'Brien, and felt that she grieved our losses and celebrated our successes with us. She was very sensitive and compassionate and always supported us and help us maintain a positive attitude and a sense of hope for future cycles. I fully believe without her determination, compassion, positive and hopeful spirit we may have lost hope ourselves and would have given up. She firmly believed we would eventually become a family, and by placing our trust in her judgment in our treatment plan we have. She gave us every reason to hope and believe at every negative/setback. She is an asset to Shady Grove Fertility Center. I recommend everyone I know experiencing infertility to Dr O'Brien for care because I believe 100% in her abilities, and I know she will treat every patient as special as she made us feel.
Trust her abilities and lean on her for support and hope for your future family. Dr O'Brien makes her patients feel like they have a special and personal relationship with her. You are not just a patient to her.
She always took time to explain in detail about my diagnosis and treatment plan. If I would reach out via email or phone, she always responded and fully answered any questions I had.
We were on donor egg protocol with estrogen and progesterone. Usually, This is a straightforward protocol, but my body had difficulty in responding. Dr O'Brien changed dosage and frequency of estrogen injections to assist my body in stimulating the uterine lining. In addition she utilized other different medications (estradial, viagra and tomaxifin citrate) throughout my cycles to stimulate my uterine lining to develop enough to support conception. She also performed hysteroscopies, D &Cs and endometrial biopsies to optimize our chances at conception . During my 5 treatment cycles, Dr O'Brien consulted her colleagues and was open to suggestions of her peers to assist us in becoming successful. When we came to the decision to proceed with gestational carrier, our carrier was assigned normal protocol of estrogen and progesterone and she responded appropriately.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Vivian Oseni)
Our experience with Vivian Oseni was absolutely wonderful. She always made you feel Luke you were her only patient. She was very sensitive, kind and compassionate. She was "my rock" many times when she'd call with negative news. There is nothing I would change about my experience with Vivian. I recommend anyone going through fertility treatment to request her as their nurse.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
There is nothing I would change about my experience with Shady Grove Fertility. We had an exceptional experience with our clinic. From the receptionist, lab technician, sonorgrapher, nurses and physicians, everyone makes you feel they are 100% committed to supporting you and helping you be successful. One thing very different about Shady Grove patients compared to other clinics is that Shady Grove patients have a great understanding about their condition and treatment because the staff provides so much information in person and on their website about treatment, conditions, education, and support groups. The most special thing about Shady Grove is the genuine understanding and compassion. A lot of Shady Grove staff have also experienced infertility, so they truly know what you are going through on this fertility path. The genuineness of all staff sets this clinic apart from all other clinics. You are not just a patient or number to Shady Grove. You are part of the Shady Grove family from your very first appointment.
Our insurance did not cover fertility treatment. We were enrolled in shared risk/shared donor money back guarantee program, which I believe was $29,000. In addition, my insurance did pay some costs associated with procedures, testing and surgery costs.
Dr O'Brien always followed Shady Grove Fertility protocol and suggested transferring only one embryo per transfer cycle. At our last cycle, our gestational carrier requested to transfer two embryos because it was our last attempt before stopping fertility treatment. Dr O'Brien reviewed her health, age and prior pregnancy details and agreed she was healthy enough to carry a twin pregnancy. She agreed to allow our gestational carrier to transfer two embryos.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
We thought she [Dr. O'Brien] was a very compassionate and knowledgeable doctor.... I guess my feelings are mixed. She was a wonderful person and doctor, but I also feel like she was trying to get us to spend the most amount of money.... She said "since we could get pregnant" she thought the 3 IUIS should work. If not, she would suggest IVF. After the IUIS failed she basically said all of our numbers were excellent and we should have gotten pregnant. Therefore our "chemicals do not mix" so we should do IVF with ICI.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
We thought she was a very compassionate and knowledgeable doctor. We did not know at the time of our first appointment that we were actually already pregnant. Unfortunately that pregnancy ended in a partial mole. I think she then based her recommendations on what most people do. I guess my feelings are mixed. She was a wonderful person and doctor, but I also feel like she was trying to get us to spend the most amount of money. I am sure if we ended up with a baby my story would be different though.
Take everything with a grain of salt and do your own research to be sure you are on the same page.
She did a good job making us feel "human" at the time. Looking back, I feel like we were more of a number though. I feel like it is kind of scripted. They just want to make money, so the pick the most expensive option.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
We had two or three different nurses. They kept quitting, so it was hard to keep tract. The one I remember, I believe her name was Effie was very sweet and helpful.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They have a lot of people coming in and out of there. They make things as quick and painless as possible. It is great to be able to do all of the procedures in the same building with the same people. I think they could make you feel like less of a dollar sign, if anything.
I know the IUIS cost $4000 as we had to get a loan. I believe our insurance covered most of the pre testing. Clomid and other medications ran about $500.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor
She [Dr. Jeanne OBrien] was helpful to speak with, visit, in emails, phone calls, and through the whole treatment process. She had a real go getter attitude about her like nothing was going to stop her until she got us pregnant...When problems were identified with my husband or myself, Dr. O'Brien adjusted our plan accordingly. Our treatment with Dr. O'Brien resulted in twin boys!...She helped us to become a family by being extremely knowledgeable in her profession. She was kind and took the time to explain and answer questions.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor
How was your experience with Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
I truly could not say enough wonderful things about Dr. O'Brien! She helped us to become a family by being extremely knowledgeable in her profession. She was kind and took the time to explain and answer questions. She was helpful to speak with, visit, in emails, phone calls, and through the whole treatment process. She had a real go getter attitude about her like nothing was going to stop her until she got us pregnant. I am truly blessed to have met her and received her help!
Trust her!
Dr. O'Brien was so kind and sensitive to our needs and situation. She shared knowledge, support, care, and kindness throughout the whole treatment.
I used a frozen cycle combined with a fresh cycle of embryos where my husbands spent was taken directly from him in a surgery and put with my eggs. I used injections to stimulate and produce eggs. When problems were identified with my husband or myself, Dr. O'Brien adjusted our plan accordingly. Our treatment with Dr. O'Brien resulted in twin boys!
Again, I could not say enough positive words about Jessica Buggs! She was kind, hard working, sensitive, and made me laugh often throughout a hard time of trying to conceive. Aw was there for every need with a smile and a calming presence.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
There isn't a single weakness that I experienced at Shady Grove. My entire experience exceeded every expectation that I had. They were truly miracle workers!
We were in the shared-risk program that was about $25,000. We also spent money on fertility medications.
I'm so thankful that Dr. O'Brien looked thoroughly through our files and listened to us and agreed with our decision to implant two embryos. It was a true team effort!
IVF, Donor Eggs
I am still currently a patient and in the egg donor recipient process- I am out of state, so I do not see her [Dr. Jeanne O'Brien] that frequently, but she inspired great confidence, and was also at the same time, personable and human...She had a great happy medium between technical and warm- she carried a conversation and alluded to personal things she remembered about us...She was advising against genetic testing on our embryos in our situation, and made a compelling case- that it would require freezing the embryos and we would not be able to do a fresh transfer, and that it can be helpful in the case of someone who has older eggs
Latino, Middle Eastern
IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
I am still currently a patient and in the egg donor recipient process- I am out of state, so I do not see her that frequently, but she inspired great confidence, and was also at the same time, personable and human.
To feel free to ask questions- she is patient and good at explaining options.
She was advising against genetic testing on our embryos in our situation, and made a compelling case- that it would require freezing the embryos and we would not be able to do a fresh transfer, and that it can be helpful in the case of someone who has older eggs, and not many chances to conceive, but since we have a guaranteed program, we would be able to try again if there were genetic issues that came up after implantation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
There are about 3 support staff members on my case- nursing, donor selection, and general coordinator, and they are all knowledgeable, communicative and helpful.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove seems like an excellent, well run facility. Since they are so large, they seem to have everything down to a system but without making one feel like a number. The facilities in Rockville are modern and clean, and our day-long visit was well organized and efficient.
Guaranteed program 3:1 ratio will be approx 30,000
I am pretty sure that they advise against it, and in the case of the shady grove guaranteed program, it does not make sense to transfer more than one at a time, since a single embryo has a better chance of survival, and if it does not survive, we can try again with another.
2014 - 2017
Male Factor, Other
Working with Dr. O'Brien was great. She is dedicated, passionate and very clear regarding expectation...I would not hesitate to recommend her. She was straightforward and clear regarding what to expect and made sure we were aware of all of the potential variables that factored into the decision making process. It is helpful to educate yourself about the process and leverage Dr. O'Brien's expertise. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions.
2014 - 2017
Male Factor, Other
How was your experience with Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
She is great. I would not hesitate to recommend her. She was straightforward and clear regarding what to expect and made sure we were aware of all of the potential variables that factored into the decision making process.
Do your homework. Be proactive. It is helpful to educate yourself about the process and leverage Dr. O'Brien's expertise. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions.
Working with Dr. O'Brien was great. She is dedicated, passionate and very clear regarding expectation. However, the billing department, and admin staff treated us like a number. We were often overbilled without explanation.
I do not recall the treatment strategies.
Our nurses were great.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The admin and billing staff were sometimes less than helpful. We were often billed in advance for procedures and often the amount we were billed was not consistent with the final bill.
It depended on if we had insurance coverage. Several of our initial cycles were covered. When not covered by insurance the costs were high (but expected).
No comment.
2013 - 2015
2 Embryo Freezing, IVF
She's [Dr Jeanne OBrien] great, but super analytical, which we liked....She knows a ton and is part of a highly qualified team. She's not touchy-feely, but that's not what I want our of a medical specialist. She's matter-a-fact in a way that's refreshing.
2013 - 2015
2 Embryo Freezing, IVF
How was your experience with Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
Fully use the resources available to you through Shady Grove.
She's great, but super analytical, which we liked.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Melanie Bates, RN)
This office is SOOO professional. Shady Grove is a well oiled machine.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is a big clinic which means that it has way more in the way of resources and experiences to help support you as a patient. You don't always see the same doctor, but you also don't have to wait for a long time for appointments... As a working professional, appointment wait time is really important to me. You can always reach someone when you have questions and their helpline nurses are phenomenal. Shady Grove has the infrastructure to provide a comprehensive patient experience.
Minimal wait for monitoring appointments if you go early in the morning.
I had very comprehensive insurance covering what was deemed medically necessary IVF (genetic condition.)
2012 - 2013
3 IVF, Donor Sperm
When our results were not what everyone anticipated, she [Dr. Jeanne O'Brien] was ready with a plan B immediately. She called us immediately and assured us that she had a plan. There wasn't even a moment of uncertainty as to how we should proceed. Our cycle was definitely tailored to our unique fertility needs.
2012 - 2013
3 IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
My children are alive because of Dr. O'Brien. Other doctors told us to give up hope, but she felt confident (seemingly against all odds) that we would be successful. We trusted her and fought for the treatment she recommended, and have our children because of it!
Trust her. If she says you have hope, you do. If she says to move on to a donor, it's because you really do have to use a donor.
When our results were not what everyone anticipated, she was ready with a plan B immediately. She called us immediately and assured us that she had a plan. There wasn't even a moment of uncertainty as to how we should proceed. Our cycle was definitely tailored to our unique fertility needs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Effie)
Effie is an angel. She's enormously reassuring and compassionate and really went above and beyond on our behalf.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is nationally recognized for a reason. They have top notch technology and everyone who works there is really wonderful. A weakness might be that it is so big that you end up seeing many doctors throughout your treatment, but that is also a strength because the doctors can rely on each other for advice when necessary.
When our insurance ran out, the Shared Help and Shared Risk programs allowed us to continue treatment.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
Dr. O'Brien is a very competent doctor. We haven't gotten the results we have hoped for, but we're still in it. I'm still waiting on a call back for follow up treatment. I'm hoping for a new strategy or new answers....They [the staff at Shady Grove] are compassionate, but I still don't feel like I get all the answers I want. I'd like more explanation as to why they did things and how to strategize a new protocol for better results. Perhaps more testing, etc....My nurse is typical. Not overly compassionate, but helpful enough. I don't think she goes above and beyond, to her I think it's a job, but she is competent.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
Do your research and ask questions.
She is very kind and does call to discuss the results of each procedure. Some calls are immediate and other times waiting for a call back can take time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Shawn Thompson)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They are compassionate, but I still don't feel like I get all the answers I want. I'd like more explanation as to why they did things and how to strategize a new protocol for better results. Perhaps more testing, etc.
Rockville
Dr. O'Brien took her time with us at each appointment. She is very knowledgeable and willing to break things down into what we know and don't know...will always take the time to answer your questions...She provided a great deal of information about each treatment option and was honest about the chances of success and expectations...Be prepared for a lot of information. She will not propose a treatment plan without a full explanation.
How was your experience with Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. O'Brien will always take the time to answer your questions. She will not rush to the next appointment. She provided a great deal of information about each treatment option and was honest about the chances of success and expectations.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is definitely a large practice with many moving parts. I think they do an excellent job of getting patients seen on-time and quickly. Sometimes, it is hard to get someone on the phone but messages are returned.
eSET was recommended from the first consultation.