Jeffrey Deaton

Center for Fertility Endocrine & Menopause (Wake Forest Baptist Health)

Available by cell phone
Winston- Salem
111 Hanestown Court Suite 351
Winston-Salem, NC 27103
336-716-6476
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Jeffrey Deaton to a friend?
9.7

9.7

5.1

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Center for Fertility Endocrine & Menopause (Wake Forest Baptist Health) to a friend?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Immunological
Dr. deaton was very open and up front with me. He explained my chances for success with my cycle and when it failed, he was very comforting and gave me the best options to proceed with. I always had my questions answered never felt rushed. He explained everything in detail so I would know exactly what was happening
I never had problems getting in when I had to schedule a last minute appointment. I am going to do a donor egg cycle through them. We just have to use another center to buy our eggs bc ours doesn’t have an egg bank, ... It is a fairly small clinic [Wake Forest U]. They have more time to focus on the individual and doing what is best for the patient.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Immunological
How was your experience with Jeffrey Deaton at Wake Forest University?
Going into my cycle he prepared me that it might not be successful but if I wanted to try he would. We decided one cycle to try Ivf and then we would go to donor eggs. On retrieval day he explained my one ovary would be hard to get to but he would try his best. It was more comforting knowing the possibilities before hand than getting a shock at the end. Still when he finished he broke the news gently and encouraged me to be optimistic through the next couple days.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeffrey Deaton at Wake Forest University?
Describe the protocols Jeffrey Deaton used in your cycles at Wake Forest University and their degree of success.
We started one cycle but stopped it my Cycle was off from what the clinic had tracked. Dr deaton then started another cycle with maximum doses of all hormones and added omnitrope to give my eggs the best chance possible. We were going to have a fresh transfer. My embryo made it to day 4 then stopped growing. I was told we could transfer but that it would most likely end in miscarriage. We opted not to transfer to save money
Describe your experience with your nurse at Wake Forest University. (Assigned nurse: Roxanne)
Roxanne was my main nurse. She was so helpful. She always answered my phone calls, took time to calm me when I was worried. My first cycle they stopped she sat with me while I cried until I calmed down. I never felt like I didn’t matter or like they didn’t care.
Describe your experience with Wake Forest University.
It is a fairly small clinic. They have more time to focus on the individual and doing what is best for the patient. I never had problems getting in when I had to schedule a last minute appointment. I am going to do a donor egg cycle through them. We just have to use another center to buy our eggs bc ours doesn’t have an egg bank,
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Deaton at Wake Forest University.
I owed 1,900 out of pocket my insurance covers a percentage of IVF and the medicines. I have a payment plan for that amount through the hospital
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jeffrey Deaton at Wake Forest University.

1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
My wife & I completed reciprocal IVF, her eggs, my body. In the beginning he [Dr. Jeffrey Deaton] set us up for a consultation, where he spent an hour going over our case and telling us what to expect and answering any questions we had. Once we decided to progress in our process, we attended a shots teach class to learn how to administer the shots correctly. After that he prescribed my wife 2 weeks of birth control to regulate her period because she had an estrogen cyst that they wanted to stop from hindering us, he also made us trigger to help the estrogen cyst from continuing to release, therefore the trigger helped stop it completely. Then 150 dosage of Menopur (2 vials of powder, one of saline), 300u of Gonal-F, 2 Doxycycline pills a day, Cetrotide for 6 days before the retrieval and a trigger shot 36 hours before retrieval.
The biggest strength of this clinic [Center for Fertility Endocrine & Menopause] is that they are all so easy going, nice and inviting. They all work together and provide each patient their own level of specialized care. They don't make you feel like your case is just the same as anyone else. They come out and talk to you before your appointments, just about how you're doing. It's not just a job to them, it's a career and I can appreciate that very much in a busy clinic.
1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Jeffrey Deaton at Center for Fertility Endocrine & Menopause (Wake Forest Baptist Health)?
Dr. Deaton provided us with honesty, integrity and compassion. He was able to be there for us and provide us with the most up to date information that he had for our case. Dr. Deaton's strengths were that he was an active listener, he asked us questions to understand the route we wanted our treatments to take, he spoke to us like he had known us for years, he invited us into his own office space and talk to us for thirty minutes each time to ensure we understood the next methods of our treatment and most importantly, he was human, he understood things from a patient standpoint, he never acted as though he was more educated or was better than us. He had no weaknesses other than the fact that he was just TOO good at his work! He loves what he does and you can see it shine through in every appointment we had, he was excited as we got further into our process, he believed in us and he never gave up on our case.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jeffrey Deaton at Center for Fertility Endocrine & Menopause (Wake Forest Baptist Health)?
The one piece of advise that I would give is to understand that Dr. Deaton's forwardness is for your own good. He is blunt and too the point because he does not want to steer anyone in the wrong direction especially for treatments that cost thousands of dollars. He will work with you and for you to ensure that you receive the end result that you've wanted your entire life, just believe in him!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeffrey Deaton at Center for Fertility Endocrine & Menopause (Wake Forest Baptist Health)?
Dr. Deaton was easy going and straight to the point, he never made my partner, nor I feel uncomfortable. He literally addressed us and spoke to us like we were his friends. He treated us with the upmost respect and was always there to answer any questions that we had without any hesitation. Dr. Deaton was the first doctor in Winston Salem, NC to produce the first IVF baby. His knowledge, experience and down to earth personality made it easy for us to feel comfortable through this process of reciprocal IVF.
Describe the protocols Jeffrey Deaton used in your cycles at Center for Fertility Endocrine & Menopause (Wake Forest Baptist Health) and their degree of success.
My wife & I completed reciprocal IVF, her eggs, my body. In the beginning he set us up for a consultation, where he spent an hour going over our case and telling us what to expect and answering any questions we had. Once we decided to progress in our process, we attended a shots teach class to learn how to administer the shots correctly. After that he prescribed my wife 2 weeks of birth control to regulate her period because she had an estrogen cyst that they wanted to stop from hindering us, he also made us trigger to help the estrogen cyst from continuing to release, therefore the trigger helped stop it completely. Then 150 dosage of Menopur (2 vials of powder, one of saline), 300u of Gonal-F, 2 Doxycycline pills a day, Cetrotide for 6 days before the retrieval and a trigger shot 36 hours before retrieval. He done this to help grow the follicles, with my wife having a low AMH he wanted to ensure that the follicles grew to a mature state before retrieving them, since there was a chance they wouldn't all make it to day five blasts. In the meantime during the process I had began taking Estrace pills and patches. Since we completed a fresh transfer with two five day blasts, before the transfer I had to begin taking Medrol twice a day before transfer, I also began taking progesterone six days before my transfer and have been taking the pills, patches and progesterone ever since!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Fertility Endocrine & Menopause (Wake Forest Baptist Health). (Assigned nurse: Chelsea & Roxanne)
Everyone in this clinic is amazing, they made us feel like family. They ultimately were excited every time we came in for an appointment. They wanted to make sure that we had everything we needed and they let us know every time that they were there for us. When we would send messages in our patient portal, they both would respond back within minutes. They never procrastinated or made us feel like we were bothersome. They gave us direct, compassionate answers with a sense of empathy and we appreciated that very much!
Describe your experience with Center for Fertility Endocrine & Menopause (Wake Forest Baptist Health).
The biggest strength of this clinic is that they are all so easy going, nice and inviting. They all work together and provide each patient their own level of specialized care. They don't make you feel like your case is just the same as anyone else. They come out and talk to you before your appointments, just about how you're doing. It's not just a job to them, it's a career and I can appreciate that very much in a busy clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Deaton at Center for Fertility Endocrine & Menopause (Wake Forest Baptist Health).
The cost of the services were pretty pricey, my wife had no infertility benefits and the insurance cover the medications and we only paid $850 out of pocket, however the egg retrieval was $1850, the transfer was $1850, the saline ultrasound was $350. The routine blood work was about $50 for my wife each time, but free for me. We had to pay the doctor's fee for the egg retrieval on the day of my wife's baseline ultrasound which was $1200. The donor sperm was $950. So it definitely added up pretty quickly, but I wouldn't trade it because it was completely worth it every penny.
Describe Jeffrey Deaton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Fertility Endocrine & Menopause (Wake Forest Baptist Health).
Our doctor likes to transfer one, however, he talks this through with the client and comes up with the best possible solution. With our case and only have two five day blast, we had none to freeze and he suggested implanting both, which is what we wanted. In the beginning we asked the nurse why he only liked implanting one and her answer was that, their theory is, they have gotten a patient that far, they don't want to implant multiples and someone end up not being successful. Therefore one is the better bet because multiples are considered high risk and IVF patients are already considered high risk because of the compromise that your body is under during the process.
Jeffrey Deaton
Center for Fertility Endocrine & Menopause (Wake Forest Baptist Health)
Winston- Salem
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Deaton was very thorough and took the time to meet with us and answer all of our questions. We never felt rushed and he was very thorough. When we asked him about risks or odds, he was honest and did not get our "hopes up" but was still optimistic about treatment options. He is very knowledgeable and empathetic.... He gave us an honest evaluation of our situation and changed our diagnosis from "unexplained infertility" to "diminished ovarian reserve." He said IVF was our best option (over IUI, etc.) but was not sure how my body would respond to medications and how many eggs I would produce, and the quality of them.
Wake Forest was a great clinic. The staff were always friendly and caring. Patty, the financial coordinator, was extremely helpful and warm. She answered all of our questions and made herself available whenever we needed.... Lauren was wonderful. She was the main nurse we worked with, but we also had Roxanne who was great as well. Lauren was available 24/7 for questions and put us at ease with our medications. The training for medications was thorough and easy to understand.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Deaton at Wake Forest University?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jeffrey Deaton at Wake Forest University?
Ask any question you think of, even if you think it is a silly question. He can answer anything you are questioning or unsure of, and never makes you feel like it isn't a valid thing to question. It will really put your mind at ease, rather than wondering.
Dr. Deaton is wonderful. He is warm, caring and gives honest expectations. He made my husband and I feel very comfortable and honestly cared about our goals and giving us the best care he could.
I came to Dr. Deaton from a previous clinic that was very bad. He gave us an honest evaluation of our situation and changed our diagnosis from "unexplained infertility" to "diminished ovarian reserve." He said IVF was our best option (over IUI, etc.) but was not sure how my body would respond to medications and how many eggs I would produce, and the quality of them. However he said if I did not respond well to the meds we would not have to complete the transfer, but my body did respond reasonably well (I took Menopur, progesterone, estradiol, doxycycline) considering my AMH levels, so we went ahead with an egg retrieval. Our embryos were not developing well and I was brought in for a day 2 transfer. It was suggesting that I transfer all 3 formed embryos, however my husband and I decided to only transfer two so we did not risk having triplets. The two embryos transferred did not take, and the remaining embryo never formed enough to be frozen for future use. After this we took a few months off of everything and are now in the process of looking for donor embryos or donor eggs to proceed with a new IVF cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Wake Forest University. (Assigned nurse: Lauren Edington)
Lauren was wonderful. She was the main nurse we worked with, but we also had Roxanne who was great as well. Lauren was available 24/7 for questions and put us at ease with our medications. The training for medications was thorough and easy to understand. If we had questions about the steps after we left, she was easy to reach and happy to help. We could not have done the cycle without Lauren's help!
Describe your experience with Wake Forest University.
We spent approximately $9000 on the treatments and appointments at Wake Forest, and approximately $1700 on IVF medications. We received a discount on our medications through the clinic helping us sign up for a discount program at a pharmacy they work with frequently.
Describe Jeffrey Deaton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Wake Forest University.
Our doctor worked with the embryologist to make a recommendation for how many embryos to transfer. He told us from the beginning that because my egg quality was unknown, they would make that "call" as the embryos were forming in order to give us the best odds. I think this was a smart approach, as we were informed of the risks of multiple transfers vs. increased odds, etc. and I believe they made the right decision based on the information at each stage.
+ Read more- Read less
We are early in the process. But so far, Dr Deaton was at my first appointment and explained our goals, procedures, expectations. Since then I have only seen the nurse and sonographer each time. He was genuine, knowledgeable, realistic and sincere on our consultation meeting.... So far I have tried two rounds of femara 5mg for 5 days. Was planning for an IUI this month but my endometrium was too thin. We are upping the dose of femara to 7.5mg next month if we don’t get pregnant naturally.
The clinic [Wake Forest University-Winston Salem] is very clean and organized. Everyone works very well together in planning and caring for the patients. The front desk clerk can be a little less compassionate and wasn’t the best first impression for me. But now that I am a couple appointments in, I’ve learned the rest of the team makes up for it.... I’ve met with Roxanne and another nurse (can’t remember her name) now a few times during ultrasound/lab appointments. I’ve also communicated on the mobile chart app. They’ve been knowledgeable, prompt and helpful.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Deaton at Wake Forest University?
Go in with realistic expectations and a list of any questions you may have.
Describe your experience with Wake Forest University.
The clinic is very clean and organized. Everyone works very well together in planning and caring for the patients. The front desk clerk can be a little less compassionate and wasn’t the best first impression for me. But now that I am a couple appointments in, I’ve learned the rest of the team makes up for it.
This office is in network for me but I have a deductible to meet. Not 100% sure on specifics.

Anovulation, Unexplained
He [Dr. Jeffrey Deaton] is very detailed and makes sure that you understand everything. He is also very easy to talk to and puts things in easy terms so you can relate/interpret. He is willing to sit down with you and answer any questions you may have without rushing you and/or ending your appointment early for the next patient...He is there to help you throughout the journey and you can definitely feel that.
Strength: The clinic [Wake Forest University-Winston Salem] works with your schedule and will fit you in ASAP. Weakness: they only have one office right now...[nurse was] Willing to help you whenever you need it. She also gave detailed directions for treatments...He [Dr. Jeffrey Deaton] is very detailed and makes sure that you understand everything. He is also very easy to talk to and puts things in easy terms so you can relate/interpret.
Anovulation, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jeffrey Deaton at Wake Forest University?
He is very detailed and makes sure that you understand everything. He is also very easy to talk to and puts things in easy terms so you can relate/interpret. He is willing to sit down with you and answer any questions you may have without rushing you and/or ending your appointment early for the next patient.
Ask many questions and don’t feel like you are bombarding him. He is there to help you throughout the journey and you can definitely feel that.
Describe your experience with Wake Forest University.
Strength: The clinic works with your schedule and will fit you in ASAP. Weakness: they only have one office right now and it is an hour from my work. I have to schedule appt very early in the morning or late afternoon. I wish they would open their Greensboro office again.

2012 - 2016
He [Dr Jeffrey Deaton] was great and thorough during the consultation. Because my treatment was minimal, the consultation was the only time I really had to see him...Come prepared with all the questions you may have and don't be afraid to call because they are willing to answer any of your treatment/insurance questions.
[Premier Fertility Centers is a] small clinic with great communication and they are very friendly!...Paula is wonderful! She makes you feel so comfortable and at ease, and she'll call you the same day if you have a question.
2012 - 2016
How was your experience with Jeffrey Deaton at Premier Fertility Centers?
He was great and thorough during the consultation. Because my treatment was minimal, the consultation was the only time I really had to see him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jeffrey Deaton at Premier Fertility Centers?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeffrey Deaton at Premier Fertility Centers?
Dr. Deaton does a great job explaining all of the options and letting you decide which one is best for you. He cares more about how comfortable you are with a treatment than about how his success rates stack up to other doctors.
Describe the protocols Jeffrey Deaton used in your cycles at Premier Fertility Centers and their degree of success.
1.) 2 monitored femara cycles with ultrasound and trigger shot - resulted in 6 week miscarriage 2.) 2 monitored femara cycles with ultrasound and trigger shot - resulted in pregnancy
Describe your experience with your nurse at Premier Fertility Centers. (Assigned nurse: Paula)
Describe your experience with Premier Fertility Centers.
Small clinic with great communication and they are very friendly!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Deaton at Premier Fertility Centers.
Insurance covered it! :)

Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Deaton was compassionate and I felt as though he cared about my journey through infertility. He made no promises, but I knew regardless of the outcome that I was in good hands with him... Voice any concerns you have because he will take you seriously and explain things fully.
Everyone on the team [at Premier Fertility Center] knew me- personally- from the receptionist to the lab staff to the doctors and nurses. It was a small operation that was personal from the start... [Nurse] Paula was always empathetic and encouraging.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jeffrey Deaton at Premier Fertility Centers?
Everyone on the team knew me- personally- from the receptionist to the lab staff to the doctors and nurses. It was a small operation that was personal from the start.
Paula was always empathetic and encouraging.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
[Dr. Deaton] was wonderful. We could not have asked for a more compassionate MD.
They [Premier Fertility Center staff] called me back the same day and they were kind.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Jeffrey Deaton at Premier Fertility Centers?
He was wonderful. We could not have asked for a more compassionate MD.
He was concerned and honestly tried his hardest for us.
They called me back the same day and they were kind.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Unexplained
He [Dr. Jeffrey Deaton] took the time to introduce hisself explain everything in a way that was direct but explicit. He took the time to understand mine and my husbands concerns and to address any questions we had. He had a plan of action and has stuck to the plan of action. Dr. Deaton has reviewed all results quickly and has used the results to precede with the plan of action...great communication between patients and doctors and nurses.
This clinic [Wake Forest University] has great communication between patients and doctors and nurses. Each time you arrive the check in process is quick and you know that you are welcome when you arrive. The wait time is usually 5-10 minutes and many times less than that, the staff gets you back quickly and they begin working you up for your visit, all staff communicate from the beginning to the end and they all know you and what you are there for, they all show compassion for you during your visit
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jeffrey Deaton at Wake Forest University?
He took the time to introduce hisself explain everything in a way that was direct but explicit. He took the time to understand mine and my husbands concerns and to address any questions we had. He had a plan of action and has stuck to the plan of action. Dr. Deaton has reviewed all results quickly and has used the results to precede with the plan of action.
To be patient, ask questions and be sure you understand the plan of action
Describe your experience with Wake Forest University.
This clinic has great communication between patients and doctors and nurses. Each time you arrive the check in process is quick and you know that you are welcome when you arrive. The wait time is usually 5-10 minutes and many times less than that, the staff gets you back quickly and they begin working you up for your visit, all staff communicate from the beginning to the end and they all know you and what you are there for, they all show compassion for you during your visit