Medical SchoolGeorgetown
Salisbury
1647 Woodbrooke Drive
Salisbury, MD 21804
1.888.761.1967
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Jeffrey McKeeby to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shady Grove Fertility to a friend?
2 IUI, 6 IVF, 6 Egg Freezing, 6 Embryo Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Other
Strengths - good communication, optimistic, explains things in easy to understand terms, easy to get in contact with, compassionate Weaknesses - not fully understanding how adenomyosis affects fertility, however it is still an area where most RE's are not fully versed...He is kind and will clearly explain your protocol and all procedures. If you have questions or don't understand, ask so he will explain in a different way.
2 IUI, 6 IVF, 6 Egg Freezing, 6 Embryo Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Other
How was your experience with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. McKeeby and his nurse, Ann, often call or email to check how I am doing on a cycle or after a cycle. They are responsive to calls and e-mails. They know me when I come in the office and seem to genuinely care. The staff that does blood work and ultrasounds are the same.
Describe the protocols Jeffrey McKeeby used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I have done 5 retrievals and 2 FETs with while under his care. The protocols for retrievals have been varied and were adjusted with my last retrieval producing the most eggs. He is very careful when he adjusts and always calls and explains the why. For FETs he has tried 2 different protocols. My most recent was 6 months of down-regulation. It resulted in a pregnancy but early miscarriage, most likely due to diffuse adenomyosis.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ann )
Strengths- great communication, returns calls and emails even at night and on weekends, compassionate, explains things well Weaknesses - none
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Strengths- quick to get an appointment, ultrasound and lab staff is caring and positive Weaknesses - monitoring appointments are not honored, it is a first come first serve cattle call type situation, front desk staff can be rude, billing and financial often seems confused about things
Cattle call! As a teacher who had to be to work by a certain time, I would often need to show up at 6:45 just to guarantee I was among the first few patients seen when monitoring started at 7:30 even though I have had appointments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance covers most of the retrieval process. I cover $600 and then cost to PGS test and freeze. They cover transfer up to 3 for live birth. My medicines are covered except for a co-pay.
Describe Jeffrey McKeeby's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr. McKeeby has always recommended one embryo due to my age as well as the PGS tested quality of the embryo being transferred. I do not believe transferring multiple would have had a different outcome so I trust him with this decision.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
I am still annoyed that I wasn't allowed to try even 1 cycle with my own eggs--maybe because people with DOR don't typically get pregnant as easily as I did...Dr. McKeeby could only say "well, something else must have gone wrong" and looked at my #s and just said, "you need to do donor egg." There was no further discussion about any other possible solution. I just felt like they were trying to sell me something that I didn't want and left for a 2nd opinion at another clinic.
IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
I had a co-worker who had a rare uterine condition and he treated her for the 3 cycles that both of our insurances would have paid for. She really liked him and just described him as being "dorky". At a donor recipient support group, I also met another woman who also left SG because of McKeeby... so maybe he works for some people, but as I said, I ultimately left for a 2nd opinion at Johns Hopkins bc of this doctor. It took 4-5 months to see that doc and my numbers got way worse during that time period. I am still annoyed that I wasn't allowed to try even 1 cycle with my own eggs--maybe because people with DOR don't typically get pregnant as easily as I did.
If you don't like him, just move on to Mottla. It was night and day. Also, the fertility world is filled with all sorts of natural remedies that could "possibly work for you". This made me into an obsessed person who was trying to make the perfect egg of my own. That wasn't to be, at least this time around. Even Mottla said that miracle babies do exist, but we needed at least to get a jump start on baby #1, given our ages (now 41 and 45, due in 2 weeks with our DE baby on first cycle).
Miscarriage #3 was my first baby with a heartbeat that we knew of. At 12w, I found out that the chromosomally-normal M had passed away at 10w. Dr. McKeeby could only say "well, something else must have gone wrong" and looked at my #s and just said, "you need to do donor egg." There was no further discussion about any other possible solution. I just felt like they were trying to sell me something that I didn't want and left for a 2nd opinion at another clinic.
Never got that far with him. Was so thrown by his only saying to use a DE.
Jackie was my first nurse at SG. I almost didn't want to change docs bc I was so attached to her. She was fantastic at answering calls and all my questions, including about how to improve egg quality. SG is not "alternative" sort of clinic in terms of using/recommending supplements, etc. which may be both good and bad, depending on what sort of person you are.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
SG is a very organized clinic, compared to the other one I went to. It's pretty, clean, relaxing, maybe because it is a for-profit organization. I felt known and the people were very friendly.
Didn't get that far.
Annapolis
We met with him for our initial consultation and after that we essentially never saw him again during treatment....He [Dr. McKeeby] seems like a nice guy, but there was never any real follow up or interest in my case. He arrived to an appointment unprepared and clearly didn’t review my test results... as they were incomplete and required a follow up exam...Dr. McKeeby was supposed to follow up with me after our final meeting regarding the next steps and he never did...
How was your experience with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
He seems like a nice guy, but there was never any real follow up or interest in my case. He arrived to an appointment unprepared and clearly didn’t review my test results... as they were incomplete and required a follow up exam. This somehow slipped through the cracks (one of many times overall with this clinic). I’m still trying to figure out if this was the fault of Dr. Mckeeby, the nurses or the clinic’s organization. Either way, it’s super disappointing. Finally, Dr. McKeeby was supposed to follow up with me after our final meeting regarding the next steps and he never did...
We met with him for our initial consultation and after that we essentially never saw him again during treatment. During that time, I can 100% say he wouldn’t recognize me as a patient if he saw me in the waiting room.
They’d say they’d call and then they wouldn’t. They’d forget to relay test results. Ordering medication was a nightmare thanks to no help on their part. The nurses/staff don’t seem to really make a connection with the patients because it’s always a different nurse calling with results, or communicating the doctor’s orders. We are all just numbers.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I was so hopeful that SGF would help my husband and I. Words can’t explain how disappointed I am with their organization as a whole. If I would have gotten pregnant right away I’d be happy because a) I wouldn’t have experienced the many weaknesses of their organization after treating there for a year, and b) I’d have a baby. This clinic is for women who get pregnent within two cycles. Anything more than that, you’ll learn that you’re just a number. The only reason I stayed for so long is because I was desperate and there a few other choices in the area.
Insurance covered most costs.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Salisbury
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
He has a pleasant personality but as far as feeling like an important patient we felt like just another couple. We had and still have many unanswered questions and no baby. My protocol was wrong for me and never adjusted...My protocol remained the same as anyone else’s even though I was showing clear signs of hyper stimulation. Despite my questions I was shook off and told to continue as prescribed
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
He has a pleasant personality but as far as feeling like an important patient we felt like just another couple. We had and still have many unanswered questions and no baby. My protocol was wrong for me and never adjusted and had dangerous post retrieval consequences.
Ask questions and remind him that you are a person who is very important to someone not just another face in a practice. If you feel that something is wrong press the issue until you are satisfied with the answer.
My protocol remained the same as anyone else’s even though I was showing clear signs of hyper stimulation. Despite my questions I was shook off and told to continue as prescribed As if my health and well being were less important than the money they were making. Sitting in the waiting room watching people come and go like a machine really set in how much money is involved in the process for each patient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jackie)
She was very good about responding and answering questions.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Customer service is good Billing needs to be easier to access and understand Nurses and doctors need to listen up when a patient says something is wrong. It’s not a horrible place. Overall we all have the same end goal. We just need to get there together with more communication and a better understanding of what’s right for many isn’t always right for one.
Out of pocket we have spent over $20,000.
While he was reluctant to transfer 2 embryos he still supported it.
2012 - 2014
7 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Dr.McKeeby has a great sense of humor...very professional with amazing bed side manner that treats his patients with amazing care. He goes out of his way to answer questions and made sure my husband and I were comfortable...I was diagnosed with PCOS and we started with doing clomid, injectables and IUIs but eventually conceived on our second round of IVF. He advocated for IVF since I was successfully pregnant on our first IUI but had a miscarriage.
2012 - 2014
7 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr.McKeeby is very pro-active with his treatment plan and has ability to understand what you are willing to go through and make the plan fit your needs. He made us feel relieved that there was hope and thoroughly explained all avenues
Dr.McKeeby has a great sense of humor and he knows what he is talking about. I would advise to listen to his treatment plan and go forth with whatever he suggests
Dr.McKeeby is very professional with amazing bed side manner that treats his patients with amazing care. He goes out of his way to answer questions and made sure my husband and I were comfortable
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Stacy)
Stacy was amazing, I could call and speak with her whenever I needed. She kept me organized because there is a lot of information and kept me in the loop
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
This clinic has so much compassion for the patients. They felt like family and always made sure to be understanding. The office is very nice and clean, comfortable and uplifting environment
Monitoring appointments were set for specific times in morning everyday. Other than living 2 hours away they are very convenient and did not wait long at all
I had insurance but added a secondary once we realized the bills were stacking up. My insurance covered 80% which is great
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
He’s amazing. He took the time to talk to us about all the risks of transferring more than one blast. He was kind but was straight to the point about everything. I Highly recommend him...I owe everything to Dr.McKeeby and his staff, they were all amazing and kind....He reassured me that my husband and I would get pregnant with the numbers we had...They’re all about building personal relationships with the patients during such a sensitive time. The made me feel loved and thoroughly cared for.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
He’s amazing. He took the time to talk to us about all the risks of transferring more than one blast. He was kind but was straight to the point about everything. I Highly recommend him. He reassured me that my husband and I would get pregnant with the numbers we had and we did the first time we did Ivf! I owe everything to Dr.McKeeby and his staff, they were all amazing and kind. I don’t know what else to say so I’m just going to type until I hit the minimum word requirements. You do know I have one year old twins and I don’t have time for this long ass survey...
Relax because you’re in good hands.
They truly cared and when I brought my twins in when they were born the entire staff talked to me like they saw me yesterday.
I don’t recall.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Beth Basil )
She was amazing. She became a therapist during that time. She’s so sweet and caring.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I loved them. The iui portion made me feel like cattle being pushed through but other than that Shady Grove is the best! Beth and McKeeby were a great time. The other staff and doctors were great and I got to know them, too. They’re all about building personal relationships with the patients during such a sensitive time. The made me feel loved and thoroughly cared for.
2k I had infertility insurance
He warned me. I didn’t listen.
2011 - 2014
Dr Mckeeby is an amazing doctor. He is patient and kind. If there are as bad news to deliver he made sure I fully understood what was going on. He took the time to make me understand the next steps....Dana is the best! I absolutely loved her as a nurse and person too. I felt like she was truly excited for me and my pregnancies...Wait times [at Shady Grvcan sometimes be long.
2011 - 2014
How was your experience with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask questions if you don't understand.
When I was going through my treatment my mom was dying. The staff was so supportive. They knew me and my situation and took a personal interest.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Dana White)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Wait times can sometimes be long.