5.7

1647 Woodbrooke Drive
Salisbury, MD 21804
1.888.761.1967

2014, Unsuccessful
I am still annoyed that I wasn't allowed to try even 1 cycle with my own eggs--maybe because people with DOR don't typically get pregnant as easily as I did...Dr. McKeeby could only say "well, something else must have gone wrong" and looked at my #s and just said, "you need to do donor egg." There was no further discussion about any other possible solution. I just felt like they were trying to sell me something that I didn't want and left for a 2nd opinion at another clinic.
If you don't like him [Dr Jeffrey McKeeby] , just move on to Mottla. It was night and day...SG is a very organized clinic, compared to the other one I went to. It's pretty, clean, relaxing, maybe because it is a for-profit organization. I felt known and the people were very friendly....Jackie was my first nurse at SG. I almost didn't want to change docs bc I was so attached to her.
How was your experience with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
I had a co-worker who had a rare uterine condition and he treated her for the 3 cycles that both of our insurances would have paid for. She really liked him and just described him as being "dorky". At a donor recipient support group, I also met another woman who also left SG because of McKeeby... so maybe he works for some people, but as I said, I ultimately left for a 2nd opinion at Johns Hopkins bc of this doctor. It took 4-5 months to see that doc and my numbers got way worse during that time period. I am still annoyed that I wasn't allowed to try even 1 cycle with my own eggs--maybe because people with DOR don't typically get pregnant as easily as I did.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
If you don't like him, just move on to Mottla. It was night and day. Also, the fertility world is filled with all sorts of natural remedies that could "possibly work for you". This made me into an obsessed person who was trying to make the perfect egg of my own. That wasn't to be, at least this time around. Even Mottla said that miracle babies do exist, but we needed at least to get a jump start on baby #1, given our ages (now 41 and 45, due in 2 weeks with our DE baby on first cycle).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
Miscarriage #3 was my first baby with a heartbeat that we knew of. At 12w, I found out that the chromosomally-normal M had passed away at 10w. Dr. McKeeby could only say "well, something else must have gone wrong" and looked at my #s and just said, "you need to do donor egg." There was no further discussion about any other possible solution. I just felt like they were trying to sell me something that I didn't want and left for a 2nd opinion at another clinic.
Describe the protocols Jeffrey McKeeby used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Never got that far with him. Was so thrown by his only saying to use a DE.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
Jackie was my first nurse at SG. I almost didn't want to change docs bc I was so attached to her. She was fantastic at answering calls and all my questions, including about how to improve egg quality. SG is not "alternative" sort of clinic in terms of using/recommending supplements, etc. which may be both good and bad, depending on what sort of person you are.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility.
Didn't get that far.
Annapolis

We met with him for our initial consultation and after that we essentially never saw him again during treatment....He [Dr. McKeeby] seems like a nice guy, but there was never any real follow up or interest in my case. He arrived to an appointment unprepared and clearly didn’t review my test results... as they were incomplete and required a follow up exam...Dr. McKeeby was supposed to follow up with me after our final meeting regarding the next steps and he never did...
They’d say they’d call and then they [Shady Grove Salisbury] wouldn’t. They’d forget to relay test results. Ordering medication was a nightmare thanks to no help on their part. The nurses/staff don’t seem to really make a connection with the patients because it’s always a different nurse calling with results, or communicating the doctor’s orders....Provided medication charts were halfway completed, failed to be informed of exam results... which ultimately delayed starting treatment, issues with prescriptions being called in
How was your experience with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
He seems like a nice guy, but there was never any real follow up or interest in my case. He arrived to an appointment unprepared and clearly didn’t review my test results... as they were incomplete and required a follow up exam. This somehow slipped through the cracks (one of many times overall with this clinic). I’m still trying to figure out if this was the fault of Dr. Mckeeby, the nurses or the clinic’s organization. Either way, it’s super disappointing. Finally, Dr. McKeeby was supposed to follow up with me after our final meeting regarding the next steps and he never did...
We met with him for our initial consultation and after that we essentially never saw him again during treatment. During that time, I can 100% say he wouldn’t recognize me as a patient if he saw me in the waiting room.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
They’d say they’d call and then they wouldn’t. They’d forget to relay test results. Ordering medication was a nightmare thanks to no help on their part. The nurses/staff don’t seem to really make a connection with the patients because it’s always a different nurse calling with results, or communicating the doctor’s orders. We are all just numbers.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I was so hopeful that SGF would help my husband and I. Words can’t explain how disappointed I am with their organization as a whole. If I would have gotten pregnant right away I’d be happy because a) I wouldn’t have experienced the many weaknesses of their organization after treating there for a year, and b) I’d have a baby. This clinic is for women who get pregnent within two cycles. Anything more than that, you’ll learn that you’re just a number. The only reason I stayed for so long is because I was desperate and there a few other choices in the area.
Insurance covered most costs.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Annapolis office - Provided medication charts were halfway completed, failed to be informed of exam results... which ultimately delayed starting treatment, issues with prescriptions being called in or lack thereof, was told by Nursing staff it wasn’t worth doing insurance appeal against doctor’s advice, getting in touch with nurses was difficult, lack of empathy from staff, lack of communication, etc, etc.
Salisbury

He has a pleasant personality but as far as feeling like an important patient we felt like just another couple. We had and still have many unanswered questions and no baby. My protocol was wrong for me and never adjusted...My protocol remained the same as anyone else’s even though I was showing clear signs of hyper stimulation. Despite my questions I was shook off and told to continue as prescribed
Customer service [at Shady Grove] is good...Billing needs to be easier to access and understand...Nurses and doctors need to listen up when a patient says something is wrong...It’s not a horrible place...Overall we all have the same end goal. We just need to get there together with more communication and a better understanding of what’s right for many isn’t always right for one...She [nurse] was very good about responding and answering questions.
How was your experience with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
He has a pleasant personality but as far as feeling like an important patient we felt like just another couple. We had and still have many unanswered questions and no baby. My protocol was wrong for me and never adjusted and had dangerous post retrieval consequences.
Ask questions and remind him that you are a person who is very important to someone not just another face in a practice. If you feel that something is wrong press the issue until you are satisfied with the answer.
My protocol remained the same as anyone else’s even though I was showing clear signs of hyper stimulation. Despite my questions I was shook off and told to continue as prescribed As if my health and well being were less important than the money they were making. Sitting in the waiting room watching people come and go like a machine really set in how much money is involved in the process for each patient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jackie)
She was very good about responding and answering questions.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Customer service is good Billing needs to be easier to access and understand Nurses and doctors need to listen up when a patient says something is wrong. It’s not a horrible place. Overall we all have the same end goal. We just need to get there together with more communication and a better understanding of what’s right for many isn’t always right for one.
Out of pocket we have spent over $20,000.
Describe Jeffrey McKeeby's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
While he was reluctant to transfer 2 embryos he still supported it.
Annapolis

[Dr. Jeffrey McKeeby] had a strong preference on elective single embryo transfer and did not explain in detail why...Sometimes I felt rushed and didn't completely understand his explanations...Our visits were only 10-15 minutes that felt rushed. He was not very compassionate or caring about our diagnosis and how that effected us. He did not care to ask what we wanted or how we felt. Always confused leaving his office, never confident in the plan he had chosen for us.
[The nurse at Shady Grove Fertility was] Caring, very helpful but always felt like she was too busy for me...The billing department is always behind. The front desk ladies are always very nice and helpful. The phlebotomists in the office are always wonderful, I never have any problems getting blood and its always painless!! The sonogram techs are very comforting and helpful...My doctor had a strong preference on elective single embryo transfer and did not explain in detail why.
How was your experience with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
Very nice doctor but he did not take enough time explaining procedures or our next steps. Our visits were only 10-15 minutes that felt rushed. He was not very compassionate or caring about our diagnosis and how that effected us. He did not care to ask what we wanted or how we felt. Always confused leaving his office, never confident in the plan he had chosen for us.
I would not recommend Dr. McKeeby if you are looking for a doctor who is compassionate or willing to give you the extra time to explain further or answer questions and concerns.
Sometimes I felt rushed and didn't completely understand his explanations.
Caring, very helpful but always felt like she was too busy for me.

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Jeffrey McKeeby] spent a lot of time talking to me and even went over on time on an appointment when I showed up late...even draws pictures upside down from across his desk so we could see anatomically where the numbers were coming from and he gave up detailed information about the hormone levels...We tried IUI and get 4 follicles and a high sperm count, the office told us it was excellent but we still didn't get pregnant.
I think that the financial piece of the puzzle which was a huge factor of the treatment plan should be clearly explained [by Shady Grove Fertility] when the treatment options are given. You are only allowed to have one treatment plan even though you discuss multiple options with the doctor, this results in numerous phone calls to the financial consultant to discuss your options and if you try to combine plans like taking eggs out for IVF and you want to also freeze some of those eggs they will not let you.
How was your experience with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
He takes the time to explain the information and even draws pictures upside down from across his desk so we could see anatomically where the numbers were coming from and he gave up detailed information about the hormone levels.
Don't expect to be able to retrieve eggs for IVF and set some of those eggs aside to freeze.
He spent a lot of time talking to me and even went over on time on an appointment when I showed up late.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I think that the financial piece of the puzzle which was a huge factor of the treatment plan should be clearly explained when the treatment options are given. You are only allowed to have one treatment plan even though you discuss multiple options with the doctor, this results in numerous phone calls to the financial consultant to discuss your options and if you try to combine plans like taking eggs out for IVF and you want to also freeze some of those eggs they will not let you.
My insurance does not cover any fertility treatment, so everything was out of pocket.