6.5

4745 Ogletown-Stanton Road
Newark, DE 19713
302.738.4600

2015 - 2019, Unsuccessful
If you do not fit in his [Dr. Russell] "cookie cutter" protocol you will not have success. ... In the beginning we felt like he honestly cared, but as money ran out that changed. After our first miscarriage they acted like they had it all figured out of we would just try one more time. 4 more times came, another miscarriage came, and then they admit they have absolutely no answers. We are left heartbroken and in debt up to our eyeballs.
Lack of experience [at Delaware Institute for Reproductive Medicine] with male infertility, PCOS, and autoimmune issues. Lack of compassion after multiple miscarriages, failures, and thousands of dollars wasted. Strengths - Great nurses and ultrasound techs. ... Janet, Charlotte, Siobhan, Linda, and MaryBeth were excellent! The lab staff (Stephanie, Mark, and Toni) were excellent!
How was your experience with Jeffrey Russell at Delaware Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jeffrey Russell at Delaware Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
If you do not fit in his "cookie cutter" protocol you will not have success. Research doctors based on your specific issues and find someone with experience and success in those areas. DIRM considered both my losses as "success". I look at an empty crib and say how is that success??
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeffrey Russell at Delaware Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
In the beginning I felt like I was treated as a human, but as money ran out he seemed to lose interest in helping me.
Describe the protocols Jeffrey Russell used in your cycles at Delaware Institute for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We used menopur, gonal F, cetrotide, and possibly more. I cannot remember dosages. Between both egg retrievals 68 follicles were retrieved, but only 3 made it to blast and only 1 implanted and was normal. I did not use an HCG trigger shot (used another kind) due to risk of OHSS. Very poor protocol for us and he never changed it after the first round of poor results.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Delaware Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Janet, Charlotte, Siobhan, Linda, and MaryBeth were excellent! The lab staff (Stephanie, Mark, and Toni) were excellent! There was some miscommunication errors between Lauren and Dr. Russell where one would tell me one thing and the other would say the opposite. Angie was rude and talked way too fast.
Describe your experience with Delaware Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Weaknesses - Communication and success! Lack of experience with male infertility, PCOS, and autoimmune issues. Lack of compassion after multiple miscarriages, failures, and thousands of dollars wasted. Strengths - Great nurses and ultrasound techs.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Russell at Delaware Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
$10,000 for donor embryos (4) plus all medications. $19,000+ for each IVF (x2) plus copays and deductible for health insurance
Describe Jeffrey Russell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Delaware Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
He did not want to transfer more than 1 embryo the first time. After the first failed he agreed to transfer two. I was 26 and never been pregnant prior.
What specific things went wrong at Delaware Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Delaware Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
They lost my FMLA paperwork and failed to send it in multiple times. They had communication issues which resulted in me having to do multiple biopsies instead of just the one. That error cost me more money in time off from work, more money in prescriptions, and more pain physically.
2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
I like that Dr. Russell is blunt and tells you like it is. I feel sometimes though he is to busy for me. I’ve been going for 2 years with no results. His reviews are great and because of work his office in Milford is most financially beneficial for me. ... At first he always said to use donor eggs from the beginning because of my egg quality and my husband low sperm count and the fact we could not afford genetic testing. ...
I feel the finances needs more help because she takes sometimes awhile to get back with you. ... There’s plenty of great nurses there [DE Inst for Repro Med]. I only had 2 issues the 2 years I have been there. It must have been a bad day both times. ... The newest cycle will be 25,000 plus insurance copays each visit, through the last 2 years I have put an additional 5000 or more out if you include freezing , medication co pays, doctor copays, anesthesiologists co pay, storage fee.
Don’t take to heart that he appears not compassionate he is blunt that’s his personality but I like it
Sometimes I felt rushed when I had my consultations each time. Once my husband took off from work for a meeting we had previously set up and when we get there nobody new what was going on.
At first he always said to use donor eggs from the beginning because of my egg quality and my husband low sperm count and the fact we could not afford genetic testing. First retrieval no eggs survived so no transfer before second retrieval he adjusted my medication and I had to go through a mock cycle when second retrieval came around I got 1 egg survived after the 5 day and we transferred that with no success. Then my job switched insurance and infertility is no longer covered. So we are now going to take a loan out and attempt using donor eggs.
The nursing staff have always been compassionate and helpful.
Describe your experience with Delaware Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
There’s plenty of great nurses there. I only had 2 issues the 2 years I have been there. It must have been a bad day both times. I feel the finances needs more help because she takes sometimes awhile to get back with you.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Delaware Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
For the most part it was convenient. Some appointments were out of there control because it had to be timed just right
The newest cycle will be 25,000 plus insurance copays each visit, through the last 2 years I have put an additional 5000 or more out if you include freezing , medication co pays, doctor copays, anesthesiologists co pay, storage fee. It gets me stressed even thinking about it with still no result
I would like to use multiple embryo transfers but dr. Russell prefers just single because of the risks
Just the appointment we wanted and off for to do a Skype with finances. Then when I very first started going I really didn’t like the ivf coordinator I think her name is angel bedside manner. She just talked to you rough and at times like she was to busy for me. I talked with her about this and had no other issues. I wonder sometimes if they are just taking my money cause I keep being unsuccessful on getting a pregnancy
Newark

Dr. Russell is the only physician in the clinic which has 2 locations. My appointments were never on time as scheduled and he never seemed to read my chart before meeting with us. He is stretched way too thin for the volume of patients he sees. There’s no way for him to have a good grasp on every patients situation when he is the only one running the show...as things failed over time, he had no real answers. There was a lot of false hope given with nothing left in the end. His main focus is on protein and how the diet will cure your eggs.
Overall the clinic [Delaware Institute for Reproductive Medicine] seems overworked and understaffed. During my monitoring appointments on the weekend, every one looked tired and run down. They didn’t seem happy. The clinic does batch cycling. So everyone is stimulated at the same time. It’s such a stressful time of a woman’s life, the staff really needs to be mindful of how they appear to us.
Dr. Russell is overtly confident. Which was great in the beginning because we needed hope. However as things failed over time, he had no real answers. There was a lot of false hope given with nothing left in the end. His main focus is on protein and how the diet will cure your eggs. I found this to be completely void of actual fact as I did everything he told me and still has no viable embryos. He is pompous and makes very brash statements. He doesn’t think before he speaks. I wish I had done more research before choosing his clinic.
Do your research. Check his SART scores and success rates. He will tell you what you want to hear but doesn’t produce results.
He uses follistim 300 and microdose HCG 50 pretty frequently. Then introduces ganarelix later.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Delaware Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Celina McHugh)
Celina is amazing and was the main reason that I stayed at the clinic for 2 cycles despite our poor outcomes. She is compassionate, and treats you as though you are the only patient there even if she has a waiting room full of people.
Describe your experience with Delaware Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Overall the clinic seems overworked and understaffed. During my monitoring appointments on the weekend, every one looked tired and run down. They didn’t seem happy. The clinic does batch cycling. So everyone is stimulated at the same time. It’s such a stressful time of a woman’s life, the staff really needs to be mindful of how they appear to us.
PGS testing was $3,000 For up to 8 embryos. The transfer and retrieval were covered under insurance but we still had approx $6,000 in out of pocket costs including copays and deductible. The injections were so costly. We spent thousands of dollars on the medications.
He was willing to transfer more than one embryo - I think especially if they are not PGS tested so quality was unknown.
The day before my transfer, I called the coordinator to ask about my blood work and if I needed antibiotics. I was never prescribed anything and had heard I might need antibiotics. The coordinator had failed to call me and did in fact admit that I need antibiotics. She also failed to mention that I needed steroids. So at 6 Pm the night before our transfer we were driving around to different pharmacies trying to find the steroid they prescribed. It was completely inappropriate for her to wait that long and I can’t imagine what would have happened if I hadn’t called. I’m not sure I would have been given anything.
Newark

We did back to back retrievals [with Dr. Jeffrey Russell] only weeks apart (no month break in between) in order to batch embryos for PGS. I asked if this was wise to do without giving my body a break and I was instructed that it was perfectly fine. Well my first retrieval we got 12 eggs and ended up with 2 blastocysts. The next cycle only weeks later we only got 5 eggs which resulted in only 1 blastocyst. Ultimately after PGS testing we only had 1 normal embryo.
All patients [at Delaware Institute for Reproductive Medicine-Neward] are put on the same schedule for monitoring & retrieval week.... Angie [a nurse] is awful! Very unorganized, talked fast when leaving messages, no explanation of why if any changes to med dosages. She showed no compassion any of the times I met with her.... I would tell her what pharmacies I used & she would still make the mistake of sending scripts to the wrong pharmacy.
I came to Dr. Russell for a second opinion and he talked a good game. He led us to believe he could do a lot more for us than the previous clinic we came from so we switched to him partly because of his confidence & knowledge and also because a friend of mine worked in his office. We did back to back retrievals only weeks apart (no month break in between) in order to batch embryos for PGS. I asked if this was wise to do without giving my body a break and I was instructed that it was perfectly fine. Well my first retrieval we got 12 eggs and ended up with 2 blastocysts. The next cycle only weeks later we only got 5 eggs which resulted in only 1 blastocyst. Ultimately after PGS testing we only had 1 normal embryo. We transferred the normal embryo which resulted in a positive pregnancy test. Unfortunately the pregnancy did not progress normally which resulted in a miscarriage (which we were told he had never seen before with a PGS normal embryo) after this we were on the fence whether to switch doctors but decided to give it one more chance with him. My last retrieval with Dr. Russell resulted in 9 eggs of which we got zero embryos/blastocysts. We were told by Dr. Russell that something was intrinsically wrong with my eggs. We then decided to switch doctors for our 3rd opinion which we ended up with amazing results! No issues with my eggs! First cycle with the new doctor resulted in 11 eggs, 9 mature, 7 fertilized & 6 blastocysts of which 4 were PGS normal!
Do your research & don’t always believe the statistics he throws around. I believe he gives false hope with his percentages.
All patients are put on the same schedule for monitoring & retrieval week. I had done 2 retrievals prior to coming to Dr. Russell & I don’t feel as though he tried to change my protocol in anyway except adding higher doses of low dose hcg which did not work & I did 3 retrievals with him using the same protocol! Frustrating!
Same protocol for each retrieval, follistim 300-375 twice a day as well as low dose hcg in high quantities. Ganirelix/certitide added when needed. First retrieval resulted in 12 eggs with only 2 blastocysts. Second to retrieve all the following month resulted in 5 eggs and 1 blastocyst. Final retrieval resulted in 9 eggs & no blastocysts/embryos. I truly feel my eggs were fried or there was lab error with my last retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Delaware Institute for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Angie)
Angie is awful! Very unorganized, talked fast when leaving messages, no explanation of why if any changes to med dosages. She showed no compassion any of the times I met with her.
Describe your experience with Delaware Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Make sure you do your research before choosing this clinic. Dr. Russell has knowledge in the area but is a bit old school at times and if you are a difficult case I don’t think he is willing to think outside of the box & change protocols.
We paid out of pocket for many procedures after our insurance benefits were exhausted. We switched insurance carriers the following year & the financial department did not check benefits so we assumed we had to pay out of pocket. Upon switching to a new clinic they checked our benefits and we indeed had some benefits. I had to contact Dr. Russell’s office to be reimbursed for the treatments I had paid out of pocket for, in which case we were reimbursed thankfully!
Angie was very unorganized and always seemed to be in a rush. I would tell her what pharmacies I used & she would still make the mistake of sending scripts to the wrong pharmacy.

2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Jeffrey Russell] was detailed in one procedure I had with him. Not much else to say as I did not see if often. The nurses were my primary care for my appointments. The Dr. seemed to have a lot going on. He was very busy most of the time... So we just went through the process of taking injectables and Clomid. I have pcos, so the results were not as expected. My spouse was never treated for his morphology and we were unaware of his problem during my 5-6 cycles of Clomid.
The clinic [Delaware Institute for Reproductive Med] did not prevent babies from cooming into the office. I think this is a real struggle emotionally for patients to deal with. They also never told me about credits on my account unless I asked.... The nursing staff did there job and ran a smooth operation... .The staff decided to focus on my ovulation and not both of the problems (ovulation and morphology).
He was detailed in one procedure I had with him. Not much else to say as I did not see if often. The nurses were my primary care for my appointments. The Dr. seemed to have a lot going on. He was very busy most of the time.
Understand that he will be there fir you during big procedures only. His ties are cute.
He had his own practice, so besides the nurses, he was not visible unless it was a procedure. He was in and out not much conversation.
He knew I was not able to do ivf due to finances. So we just went through the process of taking injectables and Clomid. I have pcos, so the results were not as expected. My spouse was never treated for his morphology and we were unaware of his problem during my 5-6 cycles of Clomid.
The nursing staff did there job and ran a smooth operation.
Describe your experience with Delaware Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic did not prevent babies from cooming into the office. I think this is a real struggle emotionally for patients to deal with. They also never told me about credits on my account unless I asked.
I was under diagnostic so most things were covered, only had a copay
2015, Unsuccessful
I felt like a number at this clinic. I do believe he [Dr. Jeffrey Russell] is successful in treating women but for myself I needed a more personal relationship with my doctor. I didn’t see doctor Russell at most of my visits and met with other staff members who were caring and kind but the relationship with my doctor was important to me.... The doctor is professional but I don’t feel that he cared for my situation, it seemed like a job to him.
While being treated at this clinic [DE Institute for Reproductive Med] I felt the wait time was long for my appointments. I wanted a more personal caring relationship with my fertility doctor. The nursing staff were friendly enough and seemed to care but I personally needed more from my fertility clinic.... The nursing staff was mostly friendly but I felt like they rushed my visit, as though they were trying to get through the day.
I felt like a number at this clinic. I do believe he is successful in treating women but for myself I needed a more personal relationship with my doctor. I didn’t see doctor Russell at most of my visits and met with other staff members who were caring and kind but the relationship with my doctor was important to me.
My advice for prospective patients is to meet with more than one doctor and choose who you’re most comfortable with.
I felt like the clinic had more clients then they could handle. I had to wait long periods of time for scheduled appointments. For example my Appointment never started on time. The doctor is professional but I don’t feel that he cared for my situation, it seemed like a job to him.
Describe your experience with Delaware Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
While being treated at this clinic I felt the wait time was long for my appointments. I wanted a more personal caring relationship with my fertility doctor. The nursing staff were friendly enough and seemed to care but I personally needed more from my fertility clinic.
I feel that Dr Russell’s office had comparable prices to other fertility clinics in my area.