Medical SchoolU. of Minnesota
708-633-1999
900 N. Kingsbury
Chicago, IL 60610
312-222-8230
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Jennifer E. Hirshfeld-Cytron to a friend?

4.3

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Fertility Centers of Illinois to a friend?
If you are looking for a no-nonsense, fact based experience that gets results and don't need someone who is warm and fuzzy to deliver the good and bad news, Dr. Hirshfeld is a good option...I had diminished ovarian reserve and my husband had some motility issues. Dr. Hirshfeld prescribed some vitamins including Vitamin D and CoQ10 for each of us...I believe that Dr. Hirshfeld is well informed and I trusted her care. I wouldn't characterize her as a "warm" person, but rather she is straight to the point which for me was totally fine. I appreciated her direct answers, but I could see how some other women might need a warmer experience especially during such a trying moment in their lives.
How was your experience with Jennifer E. Hirshfeld-Cytron at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer E. Hirshfeld-Cytron at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer E. Hirshfeld-Cytron at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
There is a slight "cattle being ushered through the field" feeling here. When we first came to FCI, I decided I didn't want to overwhelm myself with information from the internet and came to our first meeting(s) with no questions and an open mind. After some time, we felt like we were only being given the amount of information we needed at the moment, and after consulting with some other friends who had been through this process, we decided that we needed to be more pushy and advocate for ourselves harder. That resulted in a well planned out off-scheduled meeting with the doctor that was actually very helpful.
Describe the protocols Jennifer E. Hirshfeld-Cytron used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of Illinois and their degree of success.
I had diminished ovarian reserve and my husband had some motility issues. Dr. Hirshfeld prescribed some vitamins including Vitamin D and CoQ10 for each of us. I was prescribed Letrozole for 5 days, then after an ultrasound confirming I had a viable follicle I used the Ovidrel trigger shot and then took Prometrium every evening following. We had one unsuccessful IUI, but we got pregnant on the second try. I used Prometrium every evening until I was 9 weeks. I am now 16 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Christina)
I was very happy to be under Christina's care. Our first week we were with someone named Marny who was not very organized and was not a good communicator. When Christina took over we were relieved. She spent as much time on the phone as I needed explaining in fine detail all of the next steps so that I could prepare my schedule and make sure we did everything correctly.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
This clinic seems somewhat unorganized. My nurse was really helpful in moving things along, but we had a few issues with getting appointments set via the scheduler (Frank?) and also had an issue getting our final documents transferred to our midwives office when the time came.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer E. Hirshfeld-Cytron at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
My insurance is pretty good so much of my costs were covered. I think I only paid for the ultrasounds and the prescriptions. All in all, with two rounds of IUI I think we spent around $500. After the first unsuccessful IUI I did more research on IVF and that would have been considerably more, in the range of $5K-$8K, due mostly to the prescription drugs.
Chicago

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jennifer E. Hirshfeld-Cytron at Fertility Centers of Illinois.

She [Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron] didn't sugar coat anything, and also managed to be comforting and encouraging without making false promises about success. I had a terrible scare with a bleed about 2 weeks after my positive pregnancy test (post FET); I had the doctor paged and she immediately called me, listened to my fear that I was miscarrying, and reassured me that she believed the bleeding could have another cause- again, without promising anything. She turned out to be right, I was not having a miscarriage, and everyone was so compassionate towards me in that situation. She has called me from her personal cell phone to check on me. She is a kind, consummate medical professional.
European, Black or African-American
Dr. Hirshfeld always clearly and patiently explained procedures, risks, and even drew diagrams to illustrate her explanations. She always gave me plenty of time to consider whether I had questions. She talked over options like genetic testing - which we almost didn't do- in the way that a friend who had been through this experience would explain it. She never talked down to me, just spoke plainly and clearly. She didn't sugar coat anything, and also managed to be comforting and encouraging without making false promises about success. I had a terrible scare with a bleed about 2 weeks after my positive pregnancy test (post FET); I had the doctor paged and she immediately called me, listened to my fear that I was miscarrying, and reassured me that she believed the bleeding could have another cause- again, without promising anything. She turned out to be right, I was not having a miscarriage, and everyone was so compassionate towards me in that situation. She has called me from her personal cell phone to check on me. She is a kind, consummate medical professional.
Ask as many questions as you may have, because she is totally willing to take the time to answer them. She is extremely compassionate and knowledgeable.
Everyone was friendly, comforting, treated me as an individual that they wanted to get to know. I felt that my becoming pregnant was as important to the doctor and the staff as it was to me. The nurses always responded quickly and thoroughly to my emails, and I was always made to feel welcome to ask any questions I had no matter how small the issue.
Dr. Hirshfeld was aware that I had been a strong responder to Gonal-F in my previous IUI cycles at another clinic. I had cycles cancelled due to this issue. So her approach to my first IVF cycle was conservative in this regard, and as we went forward, she adjusted the medication up and down as needed. She was also trying to spare me the pain of OHSS since I was higher risk for that. At the same time, she wanted to get the most eggs since, given my age, there was a high likelihood that many of them would not develop to become embryos. Right before the egg retrieval, in order to get the most eggs possible, she prescribed another, second trigger medication which would allow the few remaining eggs that were right on the cusp of being mature enough to develop in time for the retrieval- without increasing my chances of developing OHSS. This strategy worked perfectly, as they were able to retrieve 25 eggs, with 20 fertilizing, 14 becoming embryos, and 4 of them making it to the day 5 embryo stage. We opted for PGS testing. Of these 4, two were normal, 1 was undetermined (needing to be re-biopsied) and 1 was abnormal. Dr. Hirshfeld counseled us to transfer 1 embryo, explained the success rates, and also explained our options for retesting the undetermined embryo. I did have some bloating after the retrieval, but I did not develop OHSS and Dr. Hirshfeld was very helpful in advising me on how to care for myself and decrease the bloating afterwards. I was put on estrogen and birth control to prepare for the frozen transfer, and one embryo (the best available, as we chose not to know gender at that time), was transferred. Recovery was fairly easy, lots of rest and 10 days later I had a positive pregnancy test at the lab.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Jen, RN and Myung, Medical Assistant)
Jen and Myung were absolutely fantastic- I was able to email them directly with my questions, they always called me promptly with test results, asked if I had questions, and treated my kindly and professionally. I felt very comfortable expressing fears, concerns, and doubts and they handled them the way a friend would. They truly made me feel like they knew me as a person and cared for my well-being.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
The front desk staff are very helpful, friendly ladies and I was glad to interact with them on a daily basis. They know a lot and really helped me with the paperwork side of things. They were also incredibly kind and offered hugs and encouragement when I came into the office scared and upset after a bleed. The ultrasound staff, especially Jan, are fantastic and helpful. Definitely feel free to ask as many questions of the financial staff as you need to ask in order to understand payment options and insurance coverage. They do a good job of outlining things for you, and even when things become frustrating (as they inevitably do when paying for fertility treatments), they took the time to explain and answer all of my questions until things were clear.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
It was a specific time window, and I would choose a specific time to arrive. I was able to bring my 3 year old daughter and the staff was very accommodating. Easy to schedule and felt very efficient. I never waited past my appointment time.
We had to meet our deductible and out of pocket max, and with the high cost of the medications, this happened very quickly. Our out of pocket max was $6000. FCI required a deposit of $1500 to begin treatment and this was applied towards this amount. Insurance covered 100% of everything after that- ultrasounds, visits, labs, additional medications. We also opted for PGS testing of the embryos, and we paid for this entirely out of pocket as it was not covered by insurance. I believe the cost of that was approximately $4200. We also paid $500 to freeze our embryos for 1 year, also out of pocket.
Describe Jennifer E. Hirshfeld-Cytron's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
She advised one embryo since she was very much trying to reduce the possibility of a twin or higher order pregnancy. This was extremely important to my husband and I, since a twin pregnancy was NOT what we wanted. Given that we opted to do PGS, she explained that the odds of a singleton pregnancy were not helped by putting in two genetically tested embryos. If we had decided not to genetic test, she would have considered transferring two embryos but this is not what we wanted to do, so her recommendation of PGS testing and a single embryo transfer is exactly what we decided to do.
Highland Park

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
There were times I felt like she [ Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron] was more interested in my partner's fertility chances than my own because my chances of going through a successful egg retrieval were low... However, at a recent appoint in the last 6 months, I felt like she started to "click" with us a bit better and really understood that my wife and I are both going through the fertility treatments as patients who might both conceive and not just a carrier and supporter. We have been seeing Dr. H for nearly 3 years and will stick with her through the remaining pursuit to have a baby.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
Perhaps my opinion is schewed by the fact that both my wife and have each worked with Dr. Hirshfeld to try to get pregnant, and we have not yet gotten a healthy embryo to implant, but I often felt like I was a lower priority than my wife because my probability of producing healthy eggs was lower. This would manifest in time spent focused on my options during a consultation and how quickly she recommended moving on to only my wife attempting egg retrieval. However, at a recent appoint in the last 6 months, I felt like she started to "click" with us a bit better and really understood that my wife and I are both going through the fertility treatments as patients who might both conceive and not just a carrier and supporter. We have been seeing Dr. H for nearly 3 years and will stick with her through the remaining pursuit to have a baby. Despite some of the concerns I had about her interest in my fertility options (as opposed to my wife's), I trust her judgement and appreciate her compassionate approach to the ups and downs of the last couple of years. She also always took the time to explain the processes in great detail, in terms we could understand, was honest about the percentages of success for most procedures and took the time to answer questions.
Make sure she understands your family dynamic and that you ask questions if you feel unsure that all options have been explored or offered.
There were times I felt like she was more interested in my partner's fertility chances than my own because my chances of going through a successful egg retrieval were low.
I started an egg retrieval cycle following standard diagnostic tests and consultation. IUI was not an option because of a blocked tube. My bloodwork and ultrasounds revealed that my estrogen levels were very low and only 1 follicle per ovary reacted to the drugs. Per this info, Dr. H said we could not go through with the egg retrieval. We are now working to use an egg donor, and I have completed a new round of ultrasounds and bloodwork to prep for this process. I am now on birth control pills to regulate my cycle while determine the egg donor and associated paperwork.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Marni)
Marni and Dr. H's nursing staff were attentive, responsive and knowledgeable. I felt confident in the information they were providing and knew I would always get a response if I emailed a question.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
FCI is run very efficiently - this is both a strength and a weakness. The strength part of this is you can get the appointments you need to proceed with your treatments, while also working and living your life. The weakness is that this can sometimes feel like you are just a number they call to perform another procedure. There are also times when things are running behind (30 mins+) and there is no apology/explanation, or even acknowledgement that they are running behind. Efficient, but not always personal. However, when you need to go for an ultrasound and blood work each morning of a week, and you can get the appointment you need before work and are in and out in 30 minutes, generally you can count on FCI to make it happen. I also find that the nurses and office staff to do acknowledge any person accompanying a patient for treatment. In my case, my wife would be with me for many appointments (or I would go with my wife for appointments), and as the nurse or office staff would call your name to go to the procedure - they would never acknowledge or greet the non-patient. I find this odd, since in many, if not most scenarios, the non-patient is likely a partner or spouse, who feel every bit as much patient as the actual patient through this process.
We are lucky that we have insurance that covers some of the costs associated with fertility, but only to a point and for so many attempts. I feel that the cost most glaring was tied to the storage of sperm and/or embryos. That was a significant cost for us during this process and it is not covered by insurance. This is especially difficult to get a large bill like that following an egg retrieval that results in abnormal embryos that need to be destroyed (or used in research). Long-term storage of embryos or sperm seems reasonable, but short-term storage while viability is determined seems unfair.
No comments as it is not relevant to my treatment to date.

Endometriosis, Male Factor
Dr. Hirshfeld said that they prefer to do single embryo transfers unless the female is over a certain age or has recurrent pregnancy loss...always made time to go over every detail of our IVF cycle and answer our long list of questions. She is very intelligent and honest, while also being compassionate and empathetic to our situation...The only thing I feel wasn't fully communicated was the possibility that our fertilization results may be lower than average due to my husband's azoospermia. So when we got a very disappointing fertilization report following a successful egg retrieval, we were shocked and very upset.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
My husband and I came to Dr. Hirshfeld after 9 months of TTC. In the past, I have felt dismissed by doctors regarding my infertility concerns, many of them believing that we had nothing to worry about because we were young and had been trying for less than a year. However, Dr. Hirshfeld took our concerns seriously and wanted to do everything possible to find answers. She took a very detailed history of both of us and explained our next steps. When we discovered that the reason we were not conceiving was azoospermia, she immediately referred us to an incredible urologist, who ended up performing a sperm retrieval operation. From there, Dr. Hirshfeld recommended we go straight to IVF and went over every detail of the process. The only thing I feel wasn't fully communicated was the possibility that our fertilization results may be lower than average due to my husband's azoospermia. So when we got a very disappointing fertilization report following a successful egg retrieval, we were shocked and very upset. After our first cycle ended with no viable embryos, we met with Dr. Hirshfeld to go over what happened and how to move forward. Before we could go into how disappointed we were about the failed cycle and the dozens of questions we had, Dr. Hirshfeld stated that she knew this was not the result we were hoping for but that there were concrete things we could do differently to get a better result next cycle. She explained that low fertilization is common following a sperm retrieval and was honest about that not being something we could change. However, she could make changes to my medication protocol in hopes of obtaining more mature eggs to fertilize. She also recommended a fresh transfer instead of the frozen transfer we originally planned to do. She explained that the clinic had seen higher success rates with fresh transfers and the possible reasons for this, but stated that the decision was of course ultimately up to us. She answered many of the questions we had before we even asked them, and remained very hopeful despite the disappointing results of our first cycle. She answered the remaining questions we had very clearly and thoughtfully and we left feeling very hopeful about our next IVF cycle. Dr. Hirshfeld is extremely intelligent and always takes the time during appointments to go over everything. She is positive and optimistic, while also being honest about the situation and chances of success. She also remembers details about our personal lives, like what we do for work, and always asks us how things are going, making us feel like more than just a number.
Ask any and all questions you have. Dr. Hirshfeld always takes the time to give very clear and thoughtful answers. While she is very kind, don't expect a lot of hand holding. Her intelligence and thoroughness is what makes her comforting, not hand holding.
Dr. Hirshfeld always made time to go over every detail of our IVF cycle and answer our long list of questions. She is very intelligent and honest, while also being compassionate and empathetic to our situation. The clinic is very big and usually busy, but I always felt like the staff was very attentive and we were never rushed.
Dr. Hirshfeld put me on the most basic protocol, since all of my initial bloodwork and ultrasounds looked good. However, during stimulation, my left ovary was much more active than my right, which struggled to keep up. She kept me at a pretty low dose of medications since my left ovary was responding well and I had a good number of follicles. But my follicles grew at different rates, leaving only a small number within the preferred range. So while they were able to retrieve 17 eggs, only 8 of those were mature and because of my husband's azoospermia, only 3 fertilized. On day 5 we only had 1 blastocyst and unfortunately it was genetically abnormal so we did not do a transfer. Dr. Hirshfeld plans on changing my protocol next cycle so that my follicles grow more evenly and we get a higher number of mature eggs. She is adding birth control and Lupron to accomplish this, which I did not take during my first cycle. The way she described it, there are different types of protocols, and they can choose one based on initial tests but they don't really know which is the best for you until you do a complete round and see the results. Now that we saw how I responded the first time around, she can better choose a protocol to give us better results. This is exactly why they say IVF is the most expensive science experiment!
The nurses at FCI are incredible. They are all so kind and take the time to answer any questions you have. The only downsides I experienced were inconsistency with using the online portal to communicate protocol updates and the size of the nursing staff. The online portal is great when you need to ask a question regarding treatment and the nurses are always quick to respond. However, they used the portal to post my medication schedule at the beginning of my cycle but then stopped using it later on in my cycle. It was not a big deal because they call you every day with the information you need, but it would be great if the information was also consistently posted on the portal through the whole cycle, just in case I failed to write something down from the phone call. Also, you rarely talk to the same person twice, as the nursing staff is pretty big. Again, not a big deal since they are all incredible, but it made it more difficult to establish a deeper relationship with the nurses.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
FCI River North is a beautiful facility with a very friendly staff. All of the doctors and nurses are great. It is usually very busy but the wait times are never long and I never feel like just a number. Your doctor may not be the one doing the actual procedures, like egg retrievals and transfers (it will be whoever the doctor on duty is). But as mentioned, they are all great, just something to be prepared for! Also, they don't always use the online portal consistently when it comes to posting treatment updates, but they are very responsive if you ever have a question and always call to communicate any updates or important information.
The monitoring appointments are very efficient and convenient. The appointments are usually in the morning, with times early enough so that it didn't interfere with my work schedule (I believe they start as early as 6:15 but I usually went in between 7 and 8). They were typically very quick, with the exception of one very busy Sunday where I waited longer than normal. All of the ultrasound techs and nurses are fantastic and very friendly.
Our insurance covered egg retrieval, fertilization, and transfer. We paid out of pocket for embryo biopsy ($1200), genetic testing ($300 for one embryo), embryo freezing ($1500), medications ($5000) and storage of my husband's sperm from his retrieval ($500 per year). We also paid smaller bills here and there for bloodwork and ultrasounds, a few hundred dollars approximately.
Dr. Hirshfeld said that they prefer to do single embryo transfers unless the female is over a certain age or has recurrent pregnancy loss. We do not fall into these categories and prefer single embryo transfers ourselves so we did not push for more information.

2 Embryo Freezing, IVF
She [Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron] takes the time to explain in detail what's going on and what her recommendations are. She is unbelievably knowledgeable and kind. She definitely does not add much fluffery- she always gets right to the point...is available to meet with patients when they specifically ask or when treatment needs to be reviewed. I felt that she always was 100% focused on me when I met with her, which is a relief because every doctor obviously has so many patients. She remembered all the details of what was going on with me and my husband and proved to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful at all times.
2 Embryo Freezing, IVF
Dr. Hirshfeld is available to meet with patients when they specifically ask or when treatment needs to be reviewed. I felt that she always was 100% focused on me when I met with her, which is a relief because every doctor obviously has so many patients. She remembered all the details of what was going on with me and my husband and proved to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful at all times. We were so disappointed after a first failed IVF round, and she is extremely practical in her approach to solutions and recommendations for next steps, we always felt safe even though the road was hard. I truly cannot say enough good things about her.
Dr. Hirshfeld gets to the point when you meet with her. I found this refreshing during a process where everything seems uncertain (and it is!). Don't be afraid to send her an email with simple questions. The simpler it is, the easier it is for her to get back to you and it can make you feel so much better. It is always super frustrating to have to wait until your appointment to have face-to-face communications and some more complicated questions answered, but that's all part of the process. Know that when you do meet with her she is totally committed to your cause.
I can't say enough good things about Dr. Hirshfeld. The process is extremely daunting and emotional, and Dr. Hirshfeld always gave candid answers and was available when I needed her. Any time I sent her an email she would get back to me within 24 hours, and often within just one or two hours. When I met with her on our visits, she did not rush me as many doctors do. She takes the time to explain in detail what's going on and what her recommendations are. She is unbelievably knowledgeable and kind. She definitely does not add much fluffery- she always gets right to the point. But in this type of experience the best way to feel human is usually to know the truth of what's going on and get honest opinions quickly.
We did two rounds of IVF. The first round was not very successful, I am young so it was a shock to get so few embryos of very low quality. I decided to do a second round to get more embryos before implanting any of them. Dr. Hirshfeld guided me on my choices, but really the choice was mine and she was supportive of doing another round. I also was honest about non-medical issues, like financial concerns and our current insurance plan that we knew would not last forever, so she kept all factors in mind when considering when and how to do our next treatments. This was all really important to us. The second round of IVF she did differently from the first. We had higher quality embryos, which could have been the treatment or just the luck of the draw.
The nursing staff was excellent. You work with so many nurses during IVF that you can't always count on consistency, even though they come very close. Always allow times to call and ask clarifying questions if needed, because at times they can communicate through voicemail which obviously isn't the very best method when trying to understand something new. They get back to you 100% of the time that you try calling, though, if you don't catch them and want to ask clarifying questions. All of them are so kind.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
The strengths are that they are a well oiled machine and I always got into my appointment on time or close to on time. The staff is professional, and the receptionists are super kind as well. The weakness is that on a weekend I did have to go downtown one time and it was super busy because they just had so many people... I'm not sure there's any way around that.
It was covered by insurance, but I'm pretty sure each round of IVF is close to $20K.
Because of my age and our circumstances, Dr. Hirsheld recommended single embryo transfer. Everybody is different.
Highland Park

2017 - 2019
I do feel like Dr. Hirshfeld tries her best to personalize the treatments spend time explaining the processes during our consultations...she did her best to answer all questions I had. My wife however felt as though she didn't really give us personalized attention and that perhaps she didn't have great attention to detail when dealing with us. For these reasons, we almost switched doctors, but ultimately decided to stay with Dr. Hirshfeld because of her nurses and the daunting thought of starting over with another doctor.
2017 - 2019
Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron is very knowledgeable and also very kind hearted. During consultations, she was very good about explaining things thoroughly and giving the reasoning behind the course of treatment she was suggesting. She always made sure to ask if I had any questions before I left her office. And she did her best to answer all questions I had. My wife however felt as though she didn't really give us personalized attention and that perhaps she didn't have great attention to detail when dealing with us. For these reasons, we almost switched doctors, but ultimately decided to stay with Dr. Hirshfeld because of her nurses and the daunting thought of starting over with another doctor.
Make sure you let her know what you feel you need from her as your doctor.
It is difficult not to feel like a number while going through treatments at FCI. But I do feel like Dr. Hirshfeld tries her best to personalize the treatments spend time explaining the processes during our consultations.
I went through two IUI cycles because I did not have a problem producing my own eggs. Neither resulted in pregnancy so Dr. Hirshfeld suggested moving to IVF because of my age and the increased success rate with IVF. I took clomid, follistim, and a nu.ber of other drugs I cannot recall right now. I also took some supplements and tried acupuncture treatments. After the first two cycles were unsuccessful, she tweaked the treatment a bit. I believe I did testosterone patches and estrogen patches with the third cycle. This cycle was most unsuccessful. I did not have any embryos viable for PGD testing. So she tweaked treatment again for the fourth cycle. But unfortunately no chromosomally normal embryos to implant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Marni Z.)
Marni was amazing. Very good with answering emails in a timely manner. If she didnt know the answer to a question, she would find the answer for us. She was compassionate, kind, and genuine.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
FCI is like a baby making factory. It is very easy to feel like just a number there. If you want or need early morning appointments you will be happy here. However if you need afternoon or evening appointments this is not the place for you.
I have blue cross blue shield pop insurance and it was still very, very costly do go through this process. Forty dollar co-pays for ever appointment which was 3-4 times per week at some points in the process.
No comment on this as I was never able to get to the implantation phase.
Chicago

She [Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron] took the time to explain what our plan was going to be as far as treatments, what tests we had to get done first before starting anything. ... If we had any questions she didn't rush us to get out of her office. ... She also went over the pros and cons of IUI versus IVF, especially since I have PCOS. ... Our plan is to try IUI, so the doctor discussed what that looks like, the medication I would be taking, and how many cycles I would be taking the medication (along with blood work and ultrasound).
It's too soon to tell, but so far she's been very informative. If we had any questions she didn't rush us to get out of her office. She went over our treatment plan and explained what we had to do and made sure that this was something we wanted to do.
Have all your questions ready and write down as much information as possible because so much is thrown at you and as soon as you walk out the building you're bound to forget what was discussed.
She took the time to explain what our plan was going to be as far as treatments, what tests we had to get done first before starting anything.
Our plan is to try IUI, so the doctor discussed what that looks like, the medication I would be taking, and how many cycles I would be taking the medication (along with blood work and ultrasound). She also went over the pros and cons of IUI versus IVF, especially since I have PCOS.
I have 2 nurses who call with tests results and any instruction for the medication I'm to start taking. There is one nurse who is very patient and thorough with the information she is giving me, and she is the only one I ask for when I call the office with questions. The other nurse seems a little bothered when I ask her to repeat something or if I have questions, plus she gave the wrong information for one medication I was on that was for a procedure I was getting done.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I've only been at this location for maybe 3-4 months, but so far their front desk is warm and friendly, the waiting room is clean and organized. The ultrasound techs are nice and patient. When you're going to checkout, if you have any questions they're very patient to help you out.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
She [Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron] seems somewhat shy and uncomfortable talking to actual people and does so in a hunched over manner...There was no mention of supplements other than vitamin d and prenatal- and I specifically asked for information but was blown off. Found out later they do have a standard vitamin cocktail recommendation they include in ivf welcome folder but it was missing from mine.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
She seems somewhat shy and uncomfortable talking to actual people and does so in a hunched over manner. I saw her for the initial consultation, saline sonogram, polypectomy, and then not again until after my negative beta. My original plan - based on her advice and estimates for success - was to do genetic screening and frozen transfer. When they only retrieved and two fertilized it took me stopping he process and asking whether it was better to transfer both now rather than risk losing them in screening process. Then they changed course but (after multiple pleading phone calls) still wouldn’t let me speak with a doctor. As a single person going through this it is very difficult to have no one to discuss options with- including your doctor. Ultimately did 3dau fresh transferand wasnt able to speak with a doctor about how many to transfer. Had my legs in the stirrups already and dying to urinate (they require full bladder for transfer) before I was finally able to talk to some young girl- no clue what her name or role was- about whether I should transfer 1 or 2
Find another clinic entirely
Was barely ever dealing with the same nurse twice. Felt rushed in her office. This place has at least 4 different waiting rooms it’s so big. My protocol seemed to be exactly like everyone else’s that I met, no matter out situation. I mentioned numerous times that my insurance covered only one cycle and this was my only shot at it. When I went for the follow up and she started talking about trial and error and the next protocol she’d try I reminded her I no longer had insurance coverage and she said “oh, I didn’t realize that.” Then she added more meds to the suggested protocol based on the fact I didn’t have endless free tries at this. FCI treats Illinois’ insurance mandate law like an atm machine. She made me feel super confident on my chances based on follicles count and hormone levels in “normal range” and “where they’d like to see them.” Only after did they say - “well, we meant normal for your age”
There was no mention of supplements other than vitamin d and prenatal- and I specifically asked for information but was blown off. Found out later they do have a standard vitamin cocktail recommendation they include in ivf welcome folder but it was missing from mine. Was on 150 of Menopur daily plus 300 of gonal-f. Added cetrotide on appropriate days and then triggered with pregnyll. Only the day before trigger did they up dosage, then called me at work on trigger day to say take more final-f asap so I had to leave work unexpectedly midday in order to do so. Was on 2- .1 mg estrogen patches every two days and PIO 1 ml from the day they decided switch to fresh transfer. Had to scramble to get PIO and estrogen in time because hadn’t planned to do transfer yet and insurance company (Progyny) recommended writing to order until I needed it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: 2 part time people - Jessica and Marnie)
Super nice but they would only give you the information you needed that day. Each communicated in a different way. I have 4 differed Word versions of calendars. They have a new software system to deliver treatment plan and lab results and no one used it beyond initial baseline blood work
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Best thing about it is close proximity to where I live. Otherwise it feels like a factory and they treat your body like a science experiment. The single women support group is nice but the psychologist on staff is terrible.
I don’t remember
Chicago

We definitely had some communication issues. It wasn't that she [Dr. Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cryton] didn't communicate with me - more that I felt I never got any real answers. Her responses to me always felt very textbook, like she was reading a script, and simply repeated the same information to me over and over again without really addressing my questions. I was also completely misdiagnosed. She diagnosed me with PCOS and told me this diagnosis was based on elevated testosterone levels and anovulation/irregular cycles.
We definitely had some communication issues. It wasn't that she didn't communicate with me - more that I felt I never got any real answers. Her responses to me always felt very textbook, like she was reading a script, and simply repeated the same information to me over and over again without really addressing my questions. I was also completely misdiagnosed. She diagnosed me with PCOS and told me this diagnosis was based on elevated testosterone levels and anovulation/irregular cycles. I had one natural pregnancy after my PCOS diagnosis but prior to starting clomid, which resulted in a missed miscarriage - but I knew I could get pregnant. After our 5th failed medicated IUI, I asked for all of my lab work so that I could go for a second and third opinion. At this time she finally suggested a slightly different protocol, stating it was due to my DHEAS levels. I was under her care for 9 months in total before I ever heard anything about DHEAS levels. When I went for my second and third opinions, both doctors agreed traditionally PCOS was a misleading diagnosis - Adrenal PCOS was more likely. My biggest problem was she didn't look at or address any of this until I basically yelled and was visibly frustrated during one of our consults. PCOS is an easy diagnosis to give someone who has irregular cycles - I don't feel she did her due diligence in reviewing my specific case or results. After our 4th failed IUI I asked if it was possible there was some sort of scarring or issue as a result of my previous D&C. I had done a saline ultrasound prior to my pregnancy during our initial testing/workup. I asked if maybe we should repeat that test, or if there was anything else to check for scar tissue or issues with my uterus. We did a repeat saline ultrasound and everything looked fine. My second doctor, without me even asking, immediately suggested a hysteroscopy to check for scarring from the D&C as well as investigate whether there may be a cause for my thinner lining. I had the hysteroscopy done and no scarring was found, but I did have a polyp removed. I'll always wonder whether that could have impacted our IUI cycles, and if I could have been pregnant 6 months sooner without resorting to IVF. We are currently undergoing IVF with my second doctor.
Be aggressive. You have to be your own advocate. Do your research, and stand up for yourself.
She didn't customize treatment towards me as an individual until after the 5th failed medicated IUI cycle when I was really upset and vocal about how upset I was. I was also misdiagnosed with elevated testosterone - when in fact it was my DHEAS levels which were elevated, and therefore I could have been treated under entirely different protocol.
We did 3 months of clomid with IUI. I responded to the lowest dose of clomid each cycle with at least one dominant follicle. The 3rd cycle I had 2 dominant follicles. My husband's numbers were always good. My lining was on the thin side during each of these cycles - around 5-6 mm at time of trigger. We then did 3 months of Letrozole, which were a bit of a disaster. Dr. Hirshfeld said if clomid doesn't work in the first 3 tries we should try something else. My first round of letrozole I started on the lowest does and my follicle growth stalled around cycle day 15. Thankfully, rather than cancelling the cycle, she upped my dose - so I took 2 rounds of Letrozole during one cycle. I eventually had a dominant follicle and ovulated. The second round of Letrozole we started with a slightly higher dose, but the same exact thing happened again. That was my 5th failed medicated IUI. For the 6th (after I threw a fit) she added 2 mg dexamethosone with the highest dose of letrozole (I believe it was 7 mg). On CD 10 I had a big fat 20 mm follicle, but my estrogen was only at 70. I was told to trigger. That was my 6th failed medicated IUI. I switched to a new doctor, and moved to IVF. My husband and I felt exhausted, frustrated, defeated, and were sick and tired of wasting time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Jessica)
Jessica was great, her and I got along very well. There was one cycle where she gave me the wrong date for my IUI. We only realized it because I called with a completely unrelated question and someone looked at my chart and appointment schedule.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
This is the only fertility clinic I've worked with, so I don't have anything to compare to. It seems fine, they have good success rates. Sometimes there are longer wait times before your appointment, but that doesn't really bother me as my work schedule is flexible. Most of the staff is friendly and helpful over the phone. They have an online portal where they (should) post all of your test results and ultrasound reports. There is some inconsistency in it's use, but when results are posted it's great to have that detail.
I did have insurance coverage for all of my treatment. I believe without insurance, each ultrasound would have been something like $300.
Chicago

As of date she [Dr. Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron] has been very open about the process. She is able to explain the process in our terms to understand. We never felt rushed or left with unanswered questions. She even personally called to address questions we had sent to our nurse. She makes you feel important and not just a number...I believe our process to be somewhat basic as I responded well to the stimulation medications. I am a translocation carrier so our process was to get as much embryos as we can to day 5 so we can send out to genetic testing.
As of date she has been very open about the process. She is able to explain the process in our terms to understand. We never felt rushed or left with unanswered questions. She even personally called to address questions we had sent to our nurse. She makes you feel important and not just a number.
She gives you time and doesn’t rush you until you have asked and received everything you need going forward.
She has the patience to listen and is not in a hurry to rush you out the door. She makes you feel she has time for you and remembers you and your situation. She is compassionate but very fair in her expectations so that we know the positives and negatives for each situation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Marni Zelikow )
Without her, this process would never be able to be executed so smoothly. She is always available and quick to respond to the smallest question. The patience and care were so genuine that you felt like you were family. She truly is keeping this process going and always keeping me informed.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I went to FCI River North but my doctor wasn’t listed in initially starting this review. Everyone at river north is amazing. It’s such a calm place. The staff is friendly and very efficient in getting you on time for your appointment. It’s hard to navigate which waiting room you need to go in as there is like 3 different ones. A little direction on the walls would be helpful so we don’t feel so lost. The front bathroom is always busy and not so clean.
It’s still ongoing but we have some insurance to help but have some responsibilities ourselves. Right now we sit at out of pocket over $10k
Tinley Park

During my visits with Dr. Hirschfield-Cytron, she was very patient, professional and communicated very well what should be expected during the IVF procedure. My husband and I felt very comfortable talking with her and she handled us with compassion.... I'm at the beginning stages of the IVF treatment....Dr. Hirschfield-Cytron explained that the medications I will be taking will help to prevent egg loss so that as many eggs as possible may be retrieved.
I would advice them to not be afraid to ask questions and to be prepared to receive honest and insightful feedback.
My doctor took the time to listen to my husband and I and handled us with empathy and care.
At the moment, I'm at the beginning stages of the IVF treatment and am planning to start medications within the next thirty days for egg retrieval. My husband just completed the sperm freeze/preservation a few days ago. Dr. Hirschfield-Cytron explained that the medications I will be taking will help to prevent egg loss so that as many eggs as possible may be retrieved.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Moore)
Michelle has been great with us as well. She communicates with us well and is also very pleasant to work with. She has described to us what to expect in great detail and has handled us with respect and compassion.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
One strength of the clinic is that it is staffed with knowledgeable and professional staff. Another strength is that they offer options to help finance treatments and the location is fairly easy to find. They require psychological counseling which is very helpful as the whole process of IVF treatments can be very stressful. I really can't think of any weaknesses at the moment.
As of today, my husband and I have spent approximately $800 for sperm preservation and clinical exams, however we were advised that an IVF cycle could cost a minimum of about $10,000.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
She [Dr. Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron] always makes time to reach out and talk to you. She tailors my treatment to my specific situation...She is very thorough when explaining the possibilities of success as well as failure. She always reached out to me after a main procedure to follow up with me on next steps to take. I haven’t been successful at conceiving yet, but I trust doctor Hirschfield and plan to continue trying under her care
European, Latino
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
She has always shown that she cares. She was always very knowledgeable and always took the time to explain in detail what my specific situation was. I didn’t feel like a number. She is very thorough when explaining the possibilities of success as well as failure. She always reached out to me after a main procedure to follow up with me on next steps to take. I haven’t been successful at conceiving yet, but I trust doctor Hirschfield and plan to continue trying under her care
I you like people telling you the truth and the facts about your situation then she is the right doctor for you. She doesn’t try to sugar code of hold back anything from you. To me that was incredibly important.
The doctor Has two dedicated nurses and is always easy to reach any of them. If you need to talk to the doctor she always makes time to reach out and talk to you. She tailors my treatment to my specific situation.
On my first round with her we tried adding micro dose Lupron and steroids to my treatment aside from Follistin and Menopur On my second round with her we tried Follistin and Menopur in different amounts and she adjusted them along the way plus ganirelix Aside from that she recommended I added DHEA, CQ10, and fish oil to my daily supplements to help increase egg health.
I was always in touch with the two nurses that work directly with doctor Hirschfield and the were always super helpful and knew me as a person and not a number The IVF nurses always communicated with me, but they were not as responsive and there isn’t one assigned to your case.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Convenient location in the city Sometimes experienced long waits to get routinely check ups Friendly staff Could significantly improve the financial department, maybe add financial face to face consultations with the patients
Costs so far have been manageable, but our IVF rounds are covered by insurance
No Comments
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
[Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron] Easy to work with, even though I am a remote patient (live in michigan). She did phone consults instead of in person when needed. - She didn't overwhelm with data, but was able to speak to data when I asked for it...Dr. Hirshfeld also shows empathy when she is talking to you, but is also going to be real with you.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Some of the things that I like about Dr. Hirshfeld: - Easy to work with, even though I am a remote patient (live in michigan). She did phone consults instead of in person when needed. - She didn't overwhelm with data, but was able to speak to data when I asked for it. For example, what percentage chance for XYZ to happen - She called to talk to me personally when we had to decide whether or not to cancel a cycle. A few other notes: - I'm sure she is a busy person, but on two occasions during phone consults my husband and I felt like she was rushing us off the call.
Even though she is the ultimate expert, you should still be your own advocate. Do your research, and ask her what she thinks if you have questions on something.
FCI sees A LOT of patients, so if you are a person that wants to see the same technician, or nurse at every visit, it is not for you. That said, the nurse assigned to you is extremely responsive, and even more helpful. Dr. Hirshfeld also shows empathy when she is talking to you, but is also going to be real with you.
First IVF cycle was Lupron Microdose with a priming of estrogen and lupron prior to cycle start. Although the intent was to get me to have a better response to meds, my response was very poor. 2 mature follicles, and a cancelled cycle. 2nd cycle: no priming, high dose of gonal (600 IU) from the start. Dexamethasone steroid added. Menopur on day 5. 16 Follicles, 14 mature eggs retrieved, 6 embryos, 2 frozen, 1 transferred, BFP!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Marni and Jessica (and others))
I can't say enough good things. I am also comparing to the nursing staff at the first RE clinic that I went to before transferring to FCI. The staff is quick to respond and answers in full without leaving you guessing. They leave a voicemail and follow up by email if you aren't available. Marni helped me to get better costs on medications by writing scripts to 5 different pharmacies that I asked her to. I must have emailed her 30 times about medications and she never once acted bothered. The only watch out is that there wasn't a heads up when a nurse was going to be out of the office. I would most often get an out of office email response, with another person to contact. Sometimes that other person would be out too. If its really urgent, there is an after hours nurse to call though, which I did once. At my previous clinic the nurses all shared one voicemail account, and you HAD to leave a message and wait for a call back. There was no option for email. They also said they would do something (like call in a script) and several times would not remember. They also lacked empathy and would seem bothered. I NEVER had that experience at FCI.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Strengths are: good variety of locations, very knowledgeable doctors, huge support staff, you can do everything at one location (not go to a separate lab for blood draws), easy to schedule, lots of options for appointment times, was easy to work with even though I live far away in michigan. I like that they partner with Pulling Down the Moon for a holistic angle on treatment if you are into that. Weakness might be that they could help patients save a bit more $$. For example, I ended up with loads of extra medications on both cycles. I could have ordered less and then reordered. Or they could tell you about alternative brand drugs to consider.
The first cycle was very minimal because we had some insurance coverage. Roughly $500-$1000 for copays. $800 for genetic screening. The second cycle the coverage was maxed out for medication. Meds were approx $7000. We have not finished paying bills yet, but we expect the same $1000 for co pays and misc. Without coverage, IVF is about 12k. There would be other charges for freezing, pre-screening test needed, etc. They give you an outline of costs when you consult.
The doctor recommended single embryo transfer, since the quality was very high.
Chicago

She's [Dr. Jennifer E. Hirshfeld-Cytron] very candid with the direction she thinks treatment should go. A couple of times I had questions about why we were doing something a particular way, and I've asked if treatment could be adjusted. She's always been open to discussing alternatives, and has been ok with adjusting treatment if it's reasonable. She's a bit blunt (but that's what I prefer), and I get the sense that strong feelings make her uncomfortable. But she was always kind and never made me feel badly for having them.
She's very candid with the direction she thinks treatment should go. A couple of times I had questions about why we were doing something a particular way, and I've asked if treatment could be adjusted. She's always been open to discussing alternatives, and has been ok with adjusting treatment if it's reasonable. She's a bit blunt (but that's what I prefer), and I get the sense that strong feelings make her uncomfortable. But she was always kind and never made me feel badly for having them.
Make use of the nurses! She sees a lot of patients, but I'm still satisfied with the level of communication because it's easy to get through to the nurse and get my questions answered quickly.
You don't get to speak directly to the doctor often, as there are a lot of patients at this clinic. But my experience has been that they are good at getting messages to and from the doctor through the nurse. Her nurse Marni is excellent with communication, and quickly gets my questions to the doctor and the answers back to me.
So far, IUI with 50mg Clomid. These did not result in a pregnancy, but when my lining was thin she was good about adjusting. I did have good response with the Clomid, so there was no need to change that.
Marni is awesome. She's available via email or phone, and she always calls/emails back quickly. She's enthusiastic and gets my questions to and from the doctor quickly and accurately.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
It's a giant place. I like that about it because I know that if I make my monitoring appointments by x time I'll get to work when I need to. Some may feel like a number, but I prefer getting in and out and on to my life.

4 IUI, 3 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
She [Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron] has explained her proposed next steps, regarding treatment, so that she knows that I understand them, and always asks if I'm comfortable with that approach before proceeding. She, not a nurse, called me with my negative beta, and had already thought of what we could do next. This NEVER happened with my previous RE, where I was always called by a nurse and then asked to schedule an appointment with the Dr...
4 IUI, 3 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
If you are looking for a physician who will hold your hand and speak to you in hushed tones, she may not fit the bill. She is there to help you get pregnant. This may sound as though she has a cold bedside manner, which she doesn't. She's actually very pleasant to speak with. That being said, she won't sugarcoat things, and in my experience, I want the details, as grim as they may be. Dr. H is very intelligent and well-read, and I am very confident in her medical abilities. And I know that she cares about my treatment. She has reviews my file before she talks to me, which may seem like common sense, but the number of doctors I have seen in the past 5 years, unfortunately she is in the minority. The thing that has impressed me the most is, when she has to deliver bad news, she calls me, not a nurse, and already has a plan for going forward.
Be ready for a serious physician. You can tell that she cares, but she is more of a realist. If you're new to infertility treatment, this may seem jarring, but you want someone who will help you get pregnant, not someone who will hold your hand and just make you feel good about undergoing treatment. No one ever got pregnant by holding hands.
She is really well-informed and thoughtful. She has explained her proposed next steps, regarding treatment, so that she knows that I understand them, and always asks if I'm comfortable with that approach before proceeding. She, not a nurse, called me with my negative beta, and had already thought of what we could do next. This NEVER happened with my previous RE, where I was always called by a nurse and then asked to schedule an appointment with the Dr.
After 3 complete transfer failures and one blighted ovum with my previous RE, Dr. H suggested doing a diagnostic hysteroscopy before continuing treatment. So I took off a cycle to get that done and the next cycle I prepped for another eSET. That was non-lupron hormone replacement cycle with baby aspirin, vaginal estrogen, and patches, followed by 4 days of medrol, a z-pack, 300mg Endometrin and PIO. This cycle failed and we plan to do a Endometrial Receptivity Assay next.
Marni is easiest reached via email, but is very quick to respond if I have any questions or concerns.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
If you have to go in on a Monday or a Friday be prepared to wait a little bit. It's generally a well oiled-machine (very high volume clinic, some people compare it to a cattle call), but at the beginning and end of the week it can get a little bogged down. The cattle call aspect of the clinic has thrown people off a little bit, wanting a more personalized experience, but they have top SART stats for the city.
Currently minimal (HMO), I have had to pay for tests that aren't covered by my insurance. When I switch to a PPO next year the costs will be greater.

3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron was helpful during the IVF process. We didn't see her very often so I formed more of a relationship with the nurses and ultrasound tech, but she made herself available whenever needed...In order to even begin myself and my husband were required to have bloodwork done. My husband also had a sperm analysis and I had a HSG. All of which came back clear. From there we went on to try 3 medicated IUI's and finally we went through an IVF cycle. We transferred two embryo's during that cycle and were successful in becoming pregnant with our son Blake, but at 19 weeks I went into pre-term labor we lost our dear son.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Have patience.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
Michelle was incredible. She was compassionate but full of information. Michelle showed me such kindness through the whole process, and now that we are considering it again I know she will be just as helpful and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Having access to a satellite office was rather helpful since it wasn't always easy to get into the city of Chicago for appointments. This clinic works like a well oiled machine, yet they show compassion, understanding and kindness to patients.
It was 11,500 for the total IVF procedure, plus the cost of medicine. I also had the cost of the initial consult with the doctor, the HSG cost, and all 3 IUI's, but I don't recall the cost of each of these items.

Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
She [Dr. Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron] was very nonchalant although she was personable I felt like she could’ve gave me more information from the beginning. I wasn’t aware that I have low AMH Or poor egg quality until my last failed cycle...She treated me like a human she was very personable although she was blunt...To make sure you study and know your own body
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
She was very nonchalant although she was personable I felt like she could’ve gave me more information from the beginning. I wasn’t aware that I have low AMH Or poor egg quality until my last failed cycle.
To make sure you study and know your own body
She treated me like a human she was very personable although she was blunt
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Michelle )
Nurse Michelle was a very positive and have A great attitude as well as energy
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I think the clinic overall is very good when you come in as long as you’re on time for your appointment you’ll be seen within five minutes of sitting down. The front desk if friendly most of the time .
I pay $25 copay I have insurance which covered most of the calls if not all of the calls I have only pay out of pocket $175 into years I have received one with Retrieval and to transfer one being fresh and the other being frozen. I now have one retrieval left. I would have to pay out-of-pocket for a fresh or frozen transfer and that cost is $3500 not including any meds , Labs or ultrasounds.

1 IVF, 4 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
When I first met Dr. Hirschfield she explained to me that being a women over 40 it may be hard to conceive. She also recommended pgs testing unfortunately I cannot afford the testing. She explained it may take up to five cycles to conceive.. I am open to the cycles in order to be able to have a child.....Dr. Hirschfield is a great doctor every step of the way she communicated with me. As a woman in no way did she treat me like a number she was open and honest about each protocol and cycle.
1 IVF, 4 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Be open minded
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Jessic gutow)
The nurses were great
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Be open minded.. this journey is not an easy one.. be prepared to sit and wait everyday for blood testing and ultrasound do adjust your schedule..the clinic will try and get you in and out as fast as possible..weaknesses would be they don’t have enough staff to draw blood.. which can cause a longer wait..
190,000.plus I was advised that my fibroids may be causing an issue with the baby implanting so I had surgery after my first cycle.. I believe that I have spent a lot of money during this process..I have spent so much money that I cannot afford pgs testing

14 Eggs Frozen
She [Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron] answered all of my questions in a professional yet honest manner and worked with my ideal timeline to get the retrieval completed before the end of the year (and I'd have new insurance that potentially wouldn't help cover the costs)...She recommended acupuncture. I have been seeing a Chinese medicine doctor for seasonal acupuncture for years; but for the month or two leading up to my retrieval, I went to him once a week...
14 Eggs Frozen
Had a good experience with her. She answered all of my questions in a professional yet honest manner and worked with my ideal timeline to get the retrieval completed before the end of the year (and I'd have new insurance that potentially wouldn't help cover the costs).
Come prepared with your own questions to make the most of your time together.
The nurses at FCI River North (where I saw the doctor and had my retrieval done) were great.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I was a patient at FCI River North: I appreciated everyone who worked there. They see a large quantity of patients, so I understand how some people might "feel like a number" during a very emotional time. But I never felt this way. I kept their responsibilities in perspective and was always friendly and upbeat -- and received the same in return.
Haven't received the final-final tally for everything yet. But I'm looking at somewhere between $6k-$9k total with my insurance.

8 Eggs Frozen
1 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing
She [Dr. Hirschfeld-Cytron] is a compassionate provider. She tries to meet you where you are and provide a good experience. I would recommend her to others. She takes time to listen and is available for questions. During a very stressful time, she was a good resource for me ... Go into the visit prepared with your questions. Do research on your own about your options prior to meeting with your provider.
8 Eggs Frozen
1 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing
She is a compassionate provider. She tries to meet you where you are and provide a good experience. I would recommend her to others. She takes time to listen and is available for questions. During a very stressful time, she was a good resource for me
Go into the visit prepared with your questions. Do research on your own about your options prior to meeting with your provider. Make sure you know what your insurance will cover and find out if they have support groups.
Large clinic and seeing multiple providers
They were kind but it always felt as if I were bothering them when I had questions.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
You definitely feel like a number at this clinic. They have good statistics and a decent reputation, but it is not personalized care. Make sure you have a good support structure and seek out alternative options on your own outside the clinic
The costs were mostly covered by my insurance, but then they stopped paying due to a change in my plan. Storage of eggs is expensive.
No comment

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Hirshfeld is a clear communicator who always took time to answer my questions. She was very proactive with my treatment, particularly after a chemical pregnancy. I felt confident working with her...My (numerous) questions were always answered quickly either by my nurse or doctor. I was always taken for appointments in a timely manner. I felt like Dr. Hirshfeld was also proactive with my treatment.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
As with any doctor, ask questions so that you are fully aware of next steps and why certain things are happening.
Marni was always quick to respond to my emails and was a great liaison between Dr. Hirshfeld and myself.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Sometimes monitoring appointments can run behind. For other appointments, I was always seen in a timely manner. Also, FCI’s billing department is horrible. Always double check your statements to make sure things check out.

PCOS, Other
Doctor Hirshfeld did not stop until I had the correct diagnosis. She is a wealth of knowledge!! She was extremely detailed in all appointments and made me feel like I was top priority. I never walked out of an appointment confused. After years of going through infertility treatment at another clinic, I’m so glad I switched to Dr Hirshfeld...we are finally having a baby!...She truly cares about her patients and listens to all concerns. I never felt rushed.
PCOS, Other
Doctor Hirshfeld did not stop until I had the correct diagnosis. She is a wealth of knowledge!! She was extremely detailed in all appointments and made me feel like I was top priority. I never walked out of an appointment confused. After years of going through infertility treatment at another clinic, I’m so glad I switched to Dr Hirshfeld at FCI- we are finally having a baby!
Don’t give up and have faith.
I never felt confused on any of my testing done. They are such a compassionate staff.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Strengths- prompt with appointment times, relaxed atmosphere, and friendly/caring staff. Easy parking at the River North and Tinley locations. Flexible with scheduling blood work and ultrasounds around work.
Tinley Park

all i was told [by Dr. Jennifer E. Hirshfeld-Cytron] at the beginning was to take some vitamins...The doctor in not very available all the time all the communication is with the nurses...the doctors is not the most empathetic, i think she has so many patient that its like a baby factory to her. She is always in a rush to get you out of the office she is some what cold. She did give me the facts out cold...
be patient and have questions at the beginning
all i was told at the beginning was to take some vitamins
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Gutow)
she was great most of my questions were directed to her.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
there is always a lot of patients every day, the clinic is a very fast pace i think that they forgot that there helping people build a family. Everything in the clinic is very standardized its all like taking a number.
i have insurgence but i have a copay of $50 every visit, some times 3 to 4 visits a week
Chicago

She [Dr Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron] is very clinical and intelligent. Do not go to see her if you are looking for warm and fuzzy, she will be caring but in a matter of fact straightforward manner. And will not give hope, just statistics...I definitely felt rushed there [at FCI in Tinley Park], like they want to get you in and out quickly. But they did definitely personalize the treatment
She is very clinical and intelligent. Do not go to see her if you are looking for warm and fuzzy, she will be caring but in a matter of fact straightforward manner. And will not give hope, just statistics.
Do not expect a lot of emotional coaching.
I definitely felt rushed there, like they want to get you in and out quickly. But they did definitely personalize the treatment
Only transfering one embryo due to a bicornuate uterus. Going straight to IVF because of PCOS and bicornuate uterus.
Amy did not show as much compassion and time as Michelle. Michelle will take time to listen to your concerns and showed genuine care.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
They do personalize the treatment however it does have a very get in get out feeling. Revolving door of patients.
They had convenient hours before work
BlueCross covered quite a bit but it was still expensive for the average person. And freezing embryos cost $1,200. Not covered by insurance.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Only saw the doctor [Dr. Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron] during the initial and end of treatment. She was nice and provided the information in a very tactical manner...She was a nice doctor; and very upfront about my specific treatment....Expect a very factual encounter...Overall it was an okay experience considering the circumstances. Most of the communication and treatment plan came from the nurses.....
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Overall it was an okay experience considering the circumstances. Most of the communication and treatment plan came from the nurses. Only saw the doctor during the initial and end of treatment. She was nice and provided the information in a very tactical manner.
Expect a very factual encounter.
She was a nice doctor; and very upfront about my specific treatment.
Don't remember. Second cycle micro-dose lupron
She knows her stuff, but can take it for grant that patients know what she is referring too. She was very compassionate during my second treatment. Overall, really good nurse!
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
The receptionist was awesome (Rita) and so was the phlebotomist (Allison). Overall, I didn't wait long to see the doctors, phlebotomist or nurses; they ran like a well oiled machine. I did overhear a nurse one time, telling the receptionist not put a patient to voicemail; it was a little off putting.
Around $10,000 for a complete cycle
IUI, IVF
She [Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron] is obviously well trained and cares for her patients bit it seemed she was almost too busy to deal with me. She seemed distracted which made me feel not so great when I was already feeling down about the situation...I was told to keep trying naturally and hopefully that will work. I told her that 16 months of trying and no luck I'd like to go further into why this is happening.
IUI, IVF
She is obviously well trained and cares for her patients bit it seemed she was almost too busy to deal with me. She seemed distracted which made me feel not so great when I was already feeling down about the situation.
Have questions ready. It is easy to feel rushed and forget you wanted to ask something.
I was rushed by the staff every appointment I had. I would have wanted more time spent and honestly a little more eye contact would have helped.
The nurses seemed great. They were always in a rush which is not what you want when dealing with such a delicate situation.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
They had good organization but they were always over booked. Long waits, rushing through appointments. They were always nice to me and my husband. I would still suggest going there as any help with trying to conceive is welcome.

2013 - 2015
She [Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron] was a busy lady but always made time for me when I needed her. She knew my name, what my husband did for work, and seemed to genuinely care about my concerns...She was a busy physician but very competent and always made time for her patients. I wish she would've explained my diagnosis more with me but she was always willing and able to answer questions. She was extremely smart. Very researched based and did her homework. She was aggressive with treatment (in a good way) and just wanted me to get pregnant...
2013 - 2015
The entire clinic is successful because of the nurses. The nurses are the key. Ask them all the questions you want or need to ask. They are so amazing.
She was a busy lady but always made time for me when I needed her. She knew my name, what my husband did for work, and seemed to genuinely care about my concerns.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage
She [Dr. Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron] performed an ultrasound to check for blocked tubes and once she found a blockage she referred me to a surgeon...Not super friendly...She is very knowledgeable and I didn’t feel rushed in her office and she always took the time to answer my questions. She wasn’t very warm or overly friendly. I felt like she knew what she was doing but she misdiagnosed my case.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage
None
Not super friendly
She performed an ultrasound to check for blocked tubes and once she found a blockage she referred me to a surgeon
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
Amy was very organized and very friendly. She was easy to talk to and easy to get ahold of when I called the office. She explained everything in detail and went over all of the paperwork I was getting sent home with very thoroughly.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Short wait time every time I came in. Easy to make an appointment. The receptionist was very helpful with insurance information and explaining my benefits and what I would pay for services. The phlebotomist was great.
I had already met my deductible for the year and my max out of pocket so seeing her and all procedures were free to me.
None