Good

312-222-8230
767 Park Avenue W
Highland Park, IL 60035
847-433-4400

She [Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron] didn't sugar coat anything, and also managed to be comforting and encouraging without making false promises about success. I had a terrible scare with a bleed about 2 weeks after my positive pregnancy test (post FET); I had the doctor paged and she immediately called me, listened to my fear that I was miscarrying, and reassured me that she believed the bleeding could have another cause- again, without promising anything. She turned out to be right, I was not having a miscarriage, and everyone was so compassionate towards me in that situation. She has called me from her personal cell phone to check on me. She is a kind, consummate medical professional.
They [staff at Fertility Centers of Illinois] were also incredibly kind and offered hugs and encouragement when I came into the office scared and upset after a bleed. The ultrasound staff, especially Jan, are fantastic and helpful. Definitely feel free to ask as many questions of the financial staff as you need to ask in order to understand payment options and insurance coverage. They do a good job of outlining things for you, and even when things become frustrating (as they inevitably do when paying for fertility treatments), they took the time to explain and answer all of my questions until things were clear.
How was your experience with Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr. Hirshfeld always clearly and patiently explained procedures, risks, and even drew diagrams to illustrate her explanations. She always gave me plenty of time to consider whether I had questions. She talked over options like genetic testing - which we almost didn't do- in the way that a friend who had been through this experience would explain it. She never talked down to me, just spoke plainly and clearly. She didn't sugar coat anything, and also managed to be comforting and encouraging without making false promises about success. I had a terrible scare with a bleed about 2 weeks after my positive pregnancy test (post FET); I had the doctor paged and she immediately called me, listened to my fear that I was miscarrying, and reassured me that she believed the bleeding could have another cause- again, without promising anything. She turned out to be right, I was not having a miscarriage, and everyone was so compassionate towards me in that situation. She has called me from her personal cell phone to check on me. She is a kind, consummate medical professional.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Ask as many questions as you may have, because she is totally willing to take the time to answer them. She is extremely compassionate and knowledgeable.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Everyone was friendly, comforting, treated me as an individual that they wanted to get to know. I felt that my becoming pregnant was as important to the doctor and the staff as it was to me. The nurses always responded quickly and thoroughly to my emails, and I was always made to feel welcome to ask any questions I had no matter how small the issue.
Describe the protocols Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of Illinois and their degree of success.
Dr. Hirshfeld was aware that I had been a strong responder to Gonal-F in my previous IUI cycles at another clinic. I had cycles cancelled due to this issue. So her approach to my first IVF cycle was conservative in this regard, and as we went forward, she adjusted the medication up and down as needed. She was also trying to spare me the pain of OHSS since I was higher risk for that. At the same time, she wanted to get the most eggs since, given my age, there was a high likelihood that many of them would not develop to become embryos. Right before the egg retrieval, in order to get the most eggs possible, she prescribed another, second trigger medication which would allow the few remaining eggs that were right on the cusp of being mature enough to develop in time for the retrieval- without increasing my chances of developing OHSS. This strategy worked perfectly, as they were able to retrieve 25 eggs, with 20 fertilizing, 14 becoming embryos, and 4 of them making it to the day 5 embryo stage. We opted for PGS testing. Of these 4, two were normal, 1 was undetermined (needing to be re-biopsied) and 1 was abnormal. Dr. Hirshfeld counseled us to transfer 1 embryo, explained the success rates, and also explained our options for retesting the undetermined embryo. I did have some bloating after the retrieval, but I did not develop OHSS and Dr. Hirshfeld was very helpful in advising me on how to care for myself and decrease the bloating afterwards. I was put on estrogen and birth control to prepare for the frozen transfer, and one embryo (the best available, as we chose not to know gender at that time), was transferred. Recovery was fairly easy, lots of rest and 10 days later I had a positive pregnancy test at the lab.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Jen, RN and Myung, Medical Assistant)
Jen and Myung were absolutely fantastic- I was able to email them directly with my questions, they always called me promptly with test results, asked if I had questions, and treated my kindly and professionally. I felt very comfortable expressing fears, concerns, and doubts and they handled them the way a friend would. They truly made me feel like they knew me as a person and cared for my well-being.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
The front desk staff are very helpful, friendly ladies and I was glad to interact with them on a daily basis. They know a lot and really helped me with the paperwork side of things. They were also incredibly kind and offered hugs and encouragement when I came into the office scared and upset after a bleed. The ultrasound staff, especially Jan, are fantastic and helpful. Definitely feel free to ask as many questions of the financial staff as you need to ask in order to understand payment options and insurance coverage. They do a good job of outlining things for you, and even when things become frustrating (as they inevitably do when paying for fertility treatments), they took the time to explain and answer all of my questions until things were clear.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
It was a specific time window, and I would choose a specific time to arrive. I was able to bring my 3 year old daughter and the staff was very accommodating. Easy to schedule and felt very efficient. I never waited past my appointment time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
We had to meet our deductible and out of pocket max, and with the high cost of the medications, this happened very quickly. Our out of pocket max was $6000. FCI required a deposit of $1500 to begin treatment and this was applied towards this amount. Insurance covered 100% of everything after that- ultrasounds, visits, labs, additional medications. We also opted for PGS testing of the embryos, and we paid for this entirely out of pocket as it was not covered by insurance. I believe the cost of that was approximately $4200. We also paid $500 to freeze our embryos for 1 year, also out of pocket.
Describe Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
She advised one embryo since she was very much trying to reduce the possibility of a twin or higher order pregnancy. This was extremely important to my husband and I, since a twin pregnancy was NOT what we wanted. Given that we opted to do PGS, she explained that the odds of a singleton pregnancy were not helped by putting in two genetically tested embryos. If we had decided not to genetic test, she would have considered transferring two embryos but this is not what we wanted to do, so her recommendation of PGS testing and a single embryo transfer is exactly what we decided to do.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
It was not a big deal; my new OB simply did not recieve the records of my prescreening genetic testing or the PGS testing of the embryo from FCI. They were requested and sent later. I was given ultrasounds of my early pregnancy in hand by the FCI staff and brought those to the new OB doctor.

2016 - 2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Hirshfeld took the time to listen to my story and address my concerns. She provided facts and research while answering my questions. She adjusted my treatment plan after failed attempts. She was clear and precise. ... Visits with Dr. Hirshfeld were to the point but yet I never felt rushed when in a consultation. She was always willing to explain and answer questions.
Strengths [of FCI]: knowledgeable and kind Weaknesses/Concerns: I was called and told I was not pregnant before I even completed an IUI. The 2nd IUI I had a young nurse being supervised and told what to do performed the insert and messed up on clamp and then said “oh no” when pulling out the cath. Saying some may have come out. ... They [nurses]responded quickly to the email portal and always willing to call back in timely manner when questions needed answering
Be prepared with questions; as she can not help you if she doesn’t know your concerns.
I began my journey a few years ago with the hopes of preserving my eggs for future use. I went through hormone shots to increase the number of follicles. And now have 6 eggs in freezer. About a year ago I went back to start my journey to motherhood. At that time my bloodwork came back that my thyroid levels were to high so was put on medicine. She then did the saline ultrasound and told me I had polyps within my uterus. I would then have surgical procedure to have them done. I was given a vaginal pill to thin my lining the morning of the procedure within 1 hr I was having every side effect I could related to that drug. They took me back flush my iv to clear the drug and then put me under. Before the surgery I was told it would be 15mins but 4hrs later i was able to go home. (partially cause of all the allergic reaction). Originally they said they would scrap the fee polyps but when I woke up I was told there were way more then they thought so they performed a full D&C. A few months later I decided to pick a sperm donor and start the iui process. The 4 trials I always took clomid the first 2 were same dosage the 3rd time she up’d the dosage and the 4th she added a hormone shot.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
They responded quickly to the email portal and always willing to call back in timely manner when questions needed answering
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Strengths: knowledgeable and kind Weaknesses/Concerns: I was called and told I was not pregnant before I even completed an IUI. The 2nd IUI I had a young nurse being supervised and told what to do performed the insert and messed up on clamp and then said “oh no” when pulling out the cath. Saying some may have come out.
IUI treatments monthly roughly cost me $1500 out of pocket after insurance.
2016 - 2020, Successful
One thing I really appreciated Dr Hirshfeld recommending was to have a laparoscopy for endometriosis AFTER my egg retrieval. This both minimized the potential impact of the lap on my ovaries/fertility, and meant the lap would be done right before my frozen transfer - maximizing the benefit of the lap for implantation...Dr. Hirshfeld consistently has taken the time to ensure I receive all the information I need to make an educated choice, has answered all my questions, and given me direct, evidence-based guidance. I always felt she was listening to me, taking my concerns seriously, and giving me the best recommendations with the information she had available.
What I love about FCI [Fertility Centers of Illinois] is that you get both the personalized experience of going to a smaller clinic due to FCI being divided into multiple satellite clinics, and also the practical benefits of a very large clinic...I specifically sought a clinic that used eSET for younger women...Egg retrieval - $9800 FET - $3500 Cryopreservation - $1525 Embryo biopsy - $2600
Dr. Hirshfeld is compassionate, personable, and an effective communicator. But most importantly to me, I felt that out of all the doctors I consulted with before beginning IVF, she was the most professional and practiced using the most up to date and evidence based practices. She was always willing to provide education when I had questions, and made recommendations that were direct and appeared to be based on current science and good sense. I always felt I could trust her guidance - a really important thing in this confusing, emotionally trying process.
Come ready with your own research and questions! She will take you seriously and the more you bring to the table, the more you will get out of the process. Dr. Hirshfeld isn’t likely to automatically recommend every additional test and intervention under the sun, but will point you in the right direction about what would be helpful for your situation, and what may not.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Michelle at Tinley Park)
I just loved working with Michelle. She was so communicative, reliable, and compassionate during a trying process.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
What I love about FCI is that you get both the personalized experience of going to a smaller clinic due to FCI being divided into multiple satellite clinics, and also the practical benefits of a very large clinic. For example, costs were lower than other clinics because the expensive overhead costs (embryology lab, surgical center, etc) are absorbed by having a large number of patients served there. There is also the advantage that with many clinics, the providers have access to other fertility professionals for consultation - empowering the doctors to remain well informed and to have assistance for challenging cases.
I specifically sought a clinic that used eSET for younger women (as I was) - this was one of the reasons I was drawn to FCI and Dr. Hirshfeld over other clinics in the area.
2017 - 2020, Successful
[Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron] may not come off as the warmest doctor at first, but she is very caring...We moved on to IVF with PGS testing...We retrieved 18 eggs, five made it to day 5, and two were normal after testing. We transferred one and did progesterone shots, but lost the pregnancy around 7-8 weeks for unknown reasons. We transferred the second embryo and had a successful pregnancy...We had ICSI done for all of our retrievals
FCI has been very organized, quick with scheduling, and easy to work with. I've been able to get appointments easily and different locations communicate with each other well. Our financial counselor could be better in explaining items or having patience when we ask questions...Everyone else from nursing staff and front desk to embryologists and surgical staff have been wonderful.
Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron has been very straightforward in her communication with us. She made time for us during our first consultation to ask any questions and she honestly laid out potential plans for treatment, as well as expectations. She doesn't over promise, but is very truthful in what to expect from treatment cycles. She may not come off as the warmest doctor at first, but she is very caring. She always has clear communication every step of the way so I've never felt in the dark or unsure about next steps. Everything has been laid out for us in exact terms. She has performed the majority of my procedures and I've always felt like I was in good hands with her. I left my first consult feeling like she was the right choice and haven't changed my opinion of her in four years. She has been sympathetic to our losses, and has celebrated in our success. We have done an IUI, egg retrievals, PGS testing, hysteroscopy and embryo transfers with her. I've felt safe and empowered in her care. I would recommend her to anyone.
I would say to prepare to receive honest answers and information from her, even if it isn't always easy to hear.
I feel she has been honest about what to expect. She was willing to let me make the decision on whether or not to have a second IUI cycle or move to IVF. She has answered any questions we've had. She was sympathetic when we had miscarriages.
I have had an IUI cycle using Clomid and a trigger shot. This cycle resulted in a miscarriage due to abnormal chromosomes. We moved on to IVF with PGS testing. I had an egg retrieval using Follistim, Menopur, Ganorelix, and Dexamethasone. We retrieved 18 eggs, five made it to day 5, and two were normal after testing. We transferred one and did progesterone shots, but lost the pregnancy around 7-8 weeks for unknown reasons. We transferred the second embryo and had a successful pregnancy. We are trying again and did a second egg retrieval using the same protocol. We retrieved 17 eggs, six made it to day 5, and 2 were normal. We had ICSI done for all of our retrievals. Our transfer is now on hold due to COVID-19.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Shanon, Samantha)
We've had a few nurses and they have all been great. They communicate very well and are understanding. They respond the same day and everything has been very organized. When we had a loss, our nurse at the time, Shannon, was very caring and warm.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
FCI has been very organized, quick with scheduling, and easy to work with. I've been able to get appointments easily and different locations communicate with each other well. Our financial counselor could be better in explaining items or having patience when we ask questions, but she has been the only one that stands out. Everyone else from nursing staff and front desk to embryologists and surgical staff have been wonderful.
Our most recent egg retrieval, ICSI, prescriptions was about $10,000 out of pocket even with good insurance that has a fertility benefit. Our genetic testing was about $5,000.
Because we did PGS testing on our embryos, our clinic will only transfer one embryo since it would not increase the odds to do more than that. Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron also went over the risks of multiples.
Chicago/River North

She [Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron] takes the time to explain in detail what's going on and what her recommendations are. She is unbelievably knowledgeable and kind. She definitely does not add much fluffery- she always gets right to the point...is available to meet with patients when they specifically ask or when treatment needs to be reviewed. I felt that she always was 100% focused on me when I met with her, which is a relief because every doctor obviously has so many patients. She remembered all the details of what was going on with me and my husband and proved to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful at all times.
They [the nurses at FCI] get back to you 100% of the time that you try calling, though, if you don't catch them and want to ask clarifying questions. All of them are so kind...The strengths are that they are a well oiled machine and I always got into my appointment on time or close to on time. The staff is professional, and the receptionists are super kind as well. The weakness is that on a weekend I did have to go downtown one time and it was super busy because they just had so many people... I'm not sure there's any way around that.
Dr. Hirshfeld is available to meet with patients when they specifically ask or when treatment needs to be reviewed. I felt that she always was 100% focused on me when I met with her, which is a relief because every doctor obviously has so many patients. She remembered all the details of what was going on with me and my husband and proved to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful at all times. We were so disappointed after a first failed IVF round, and she is extremely practical in her approach to solutions and recommendations for next steps, we always felt safe even though the road was hard. I truly cannot say enough good things about her.
Dr. Hirshfeld gets to the point when you meet with her. I found this refreshing during a process where everything seems uncertain (and it is!). Don't be afraid to send her an email with simple questions. The simpler it is, the easier it is for her to get back to you and it can make you feel so much better. It is always super frustrating to have to wait until your appointment to have face-to-face communications and some more complicated questions answered, but that's all part of the process. Know that when you do meet with her she is totally committed to your cause.
I can't say enough good things about Dr. Hirshfeld. The process is extremely daunting and emotional, and Dr. Hirshfeld always gave candid answers and was available when I needed her. Any time I sent her an email she would get back to me within 24 hours, and often within just one or two hours. When I met with her on our visits, she did not rush me as many doctors do. She takes the time to explain in detail what's going on and what her recommendations are. She is unbelievably knowledgeable and kind. She definitely does not add much fluffery- she always gets right to the point. But in this type of experience the best way to feel human is usually to know the truth of what's going on and get honest opinions quickly.
We did two rounds of IVF. The first round was not very successful, I am young so it was a shock to get so few embryos of very low quality. I decided to do a second round to get more embryos before implanting any of them. Dr. Hirshfeld guided me on my choices, but really the choice was mine and she was supportive of doing another round. I also was honest about non-medical issues, like financial concerns and our current insurance plan that we knew would not last forever, so she kept all factors in mind when considering when and how to do our next treatments. This was all really important to us. The second round of IVF she did differently from the first. We had higher quality embryos, which could have been the treatment or just the luck of the draw.
The nursing staff was excellent. You work with so many nurses during IVF that you can't always count on consistency, even though they come very close. Always allow times to call and ask clarifying questions if needed, because at times they can communicate through voicemail which obviously isn't the very best method when trying to understand something new. They get back to you 100% of the time that you try calling, though, if you don't catch them and want to ask clarifying questions. All of them are so kind.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
It was covered by insurance, but I'm pretty sure each round of IVF is close to $20K.
Because of my age and our circumstances, Dr. Hirsheld recommended single embryo transfer. Everybody is different.
Highland Park

During my visits with Dr. Hirschfield-Cytron, she was very patient, professional and communicated very well what should be expected during the IVF procedure. My husband and I felt very comfortable talking with her and she handled us with compassion.... I'm at the beginning stages of the IVF treatment....Dr. Hirschfield-Cytron explained that the medications I will be taking will help to prevent egg loss so that as many eggs as possible may be retrieved.
One strength of the clinic [Fertility Ctr of IL] is that it is staffed with knowledgeable and professional staff. Another strength is that they offer options to help finance treatments and the location is fairly easy to find. They require psychological counseling which is very helpful as the whole process of IVF treatments can be very stressful. I really can't think of any weaknesses at the moment.... Michelle has been great with us as well. She communicates with us well and is also very pleasant to work with.
I would advice them to not be afraid to ask questions and to be prepared to receive honest and insightful feedback.
My doctor took the time to listen to my husband and I and handled us with empathy and care.
At the moment, I'm at the beginning stages of the IVF treatment and am planning to start medications within the next thirty days for egg retrieval. My husband just completed the sperm freeze/preservation a few days ago. Dr. Hirschfield-Cytron explained that the medications I will be taking will help to prevent egg loss so that as many eggs as possible may be retrieved.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Moore)
Michelle has been great with us as well. She communicates with us well and is also very pleasant to work with. She has described to us what to expect in great detail and has handled us with respect and compassion.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
One strength of the clinic is that it is staffed with knowledgeable and professional staff. Another strength is that they offer options to help finance treatments and the location is fairly easy to find. They require psychological counseling which is very helpful as the whole process of IVF treatments can be very stressful. I really can't think of any weaknesses at the moment.
As of today, my husband and I have spent approximately $800 for sperm preservation and clinical exams, however we were advised that an IVF cycle could cost a minimum of about $10,000.
Tinley Park
She [Dr. Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron] always makes time to reach out and talk to you. She tailors my treatment to my specific situation...She is very thorough when explaining the possibilities of success as well as failure. She always reached out to me after a main procedure to follow up with me on next steps to take. I haven’t been successful at conceiving yet, but I trust doctor Hirschfield and plan to continue trying under her care
I was always in touch with the two nurses [at Fertility Centers of Illinois] that work directly with doctor Hirschfield and the were always super helpful and knew me as a person and not a number...The IVF nurses always communicated with me, but they were not as responsive and there isn’t one assigned to your case...Friendly staff...Could significantly improve the financial department
She has always shown that she cares. She was always very knowledgeable and always took the time to explain in detail what my specific situation was. I didn’t feel like a number. She is very thorough when explaining the possibilities of success as well as failure. She always reached out to me after a main procedure to follow up with me on next steps to take. I haven’t been successful at conceiving yet, but I trust doctor Hirschfield and plan to continue trying under her care
I you like people telling you the truth and the facts about your situation then she is the right doctor for you. She doesn’t try to sugar code of hold back anything from you. To me that was incredibly important.
The doctor Has two dedicated nurses and is always easy to reach any of them. If you need to talk to the doctor she always makes time to reach out and talk to you. She tailors my treatment to my specific situation.
On my first round with her we tried adding micro dose Lupron and steroids to my treatment aside from Follistin and Menopur On my second round with her we tried Follistin and Menopur in different amounts and she adjusted them along the way plus ganirelix Aside from that she recommended I added DHEA, CQ10, and fish oil to my daily supplements to help increase egg health.
I was always in touch with the two nurses that work directly with doctor Hirschfield and the were always super helpful and knew me as a person and not a number The IVF nurses always communicated with me, but they were not as responsive and there isn’t one assigned to your case.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Convenient location in the city Sometimes experienced long waits to get routinely check ups Friendly staff Could significantly improve the financial department, maybe add financial face to face consultations with the patients
Costs so far have been manageable, but our IVF rounds are covered by insurance
No Comments
Chicago/River North

[Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron] Easy to work with, even though I am a remote patient (live in michigan). She did phone consults instead of in person when needed. - She didn't overwhelm with data, but was able to speak to data when I asked for it...Dr. Hirshfeld also shows empathy when she is talking to you, but is also going to be real with you.
FCI [Fertility Centers of Illinois] sees A LOT of patients, so if you are a person that wants to see the same technician, or nurse at every visit, it is not for you...I like that they partner with Pulling Down the Moon for a holistic angle on treatment if you are into that...The staff is quick to respond and answers in full without leaving you guessing. They leave a voicemail and follow up by email if you aren't available. Marni helped me to get better costs on medications by writing scripts to 5 different pharmacies that I asked her to. I must have emailed her 30 times about medications and she never once acted bothered.
Some of the things that I like about Dr. Hirshfeld: - Easy to work with, even though I am a remote patient (live in michigan). She did phone consults instead of in person when needed. - She didn't overwhelm with data, but was able to speak to data when I asked for it. For example, what percentage chance for XYZ to happen - She called to talk to me personally when we had to decide whether or not to cancel a cycle. A few other notes: - I'm sure she is a busy person, but on two occasions during phone consults my husband and I felt like she was rushing us off the call.
Even though she is the ultimate expert, you should still be your own advocate. Do your research, and ask her what she thinks if you have questions on something.
FCI sees A LOT of patients, so if you are a person that wants to see the same technician, or nurse at every visit, it is not for you. That said, the nurse assigned to you is extremely responsive, and even more helpful. Dr. Hirshfeld also shows empathy when she is talking to you, but is also going to be real with you.
First IVF cycle was Lupron Microdose with a priming of estrogen and lupron prior to cycle start. Although the intent was to get me to have a better response to meds, my response was very poor. 2 mature follicles, and a cancelled cycle. 2nd cycle: no priming, high dose of gonal (600 IU) from the start. Dexamethasone steroid added. Menopur on day 5. 16 Follicles, 14 mature eggs retrieved, 6 embryos, 2 frozen, 1 transferred, BFP!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Marni and Jessica (and others))
I can't say enough good things. I am also comparing to the nursing staff at the first RE clinic that I went to before transferring to FCI. The staff is quick to respond and answers in full without leaving you guessing. They leave a voicemail and follow up by email if you aren't available. Marni helped me to get better costs on medications by writing scripts to 5 different pharmacies that I asked her to. I must have emailed her 30 times about medications and she never once acted bothered. The only watch out is that there wasn't a heads up when a nurse was going to be out of the office. I would most often get an out of office email response, with another person to contact. Sometimes that other person would be out too. If its really urgent, there is an after hours nurse to call though, which I did once. At my previous clinic the nurses all shared one voicemail account, and you HAD to leave a message and wait for a call back. There was no option for email. They also said they would do something (like call in a script) and several times would not remember. They also lacked empathy and would seem bothered. I NEVER had that experience at FCI.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Strengths are: good variety of locations, very knowledgeable doctors, huge support staff, you can do everything at one location (not go to a separate lab for blood draws), easy to schedule, lots of options for appointment times, was easy to work with even though I live far away in michigan. I like that they partner with Pulling Down the Moon for a holistic angle on treatment if you are into that. Weakness might be that they could help patients save a bit more $$. For example, I ended up with loads of extra medications on both cycles. I could have ordered less and then reordered. Or they could tell you about alternative brand drugs to consider.
The first cycle was very minimal because we had some insurance coverage. Roughly $500-$1000 for copays. $800 for genetic screening. The second cycle the coverage was maxed out for medication. Meds were approx $7000. We have not finished paying bills yet, but we expect the same $1000 for co pays and misc. Without coverage, IVF is about 12k. There would be other charges for freezing, pre-screening test needed, etc. They give you an outline of costs when you consult.
The doctor recommended single embryo transfer, since the quality was very high.
Chicago/River North

She [Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron] has explained her proposed next steps, regarding treatment, so that she knows that I understand them, and always asks if I'm comfortable with that approach before proceeding. She, not a nurse, called me with my negative beta, and had already thought of what we could do next. This NEVER happened with my previous RE, where I was always called by a nurse and then asked to schedule an appointment with the Dr...
If you have to go in [to FCI -Chi] on a Monday or a Friday be prepared to wait a little bit. It's generally a well oiled-machine (very high volume clinic, some people compare it to a cattle call), but at the beginning and end of the week it can get a little bogged down. The cattle call aspect of the clinic has thrown people off a little bit, wanting a more personalized experience, but they have top SART stats for the city...
If you are looking for a physician who will hold your hand and speak to you in hushed tones, she may not fit the bill. She is there to help you get pregnant. This may sound as though she has a cold bedside manner, which she doesn't. She's actually very pleasant to speak with. That being said, she won't sugarcoat things, and in my experience, I want the details, as grim as they may be. Dr. H is very intelligent and well-read, and I am very confident in her medical abilities. And I know that she cares about my treatment. She has reviews my file before she talks to me, which may seem like common sense, but the number of doctors I have seen in the past 5 years, unfortunately she is in the minority. The thing that has impressed me the most is, when she has to deliver bad news, she calls me, not a nurse, and already has a plan for going forward.
Be ready for a serious physician. You can tell that she cares, but she is more of a realist. If you're new to infertility treatment, this may seem jarring, but you want someone who will help you get pregnant, not someone who will hold your hand and just make you feel good about undergoing treatment. No one ever got pregnant by holding hands.
She is really well-informed and thoughtful. She has explained her proposed next steps, regarding treatment, so that she knows that I understand them, and always asks if I'm comfortable with that approach before proceeding. She, not a nurse, called me with my negative beta, and had already thought of what we could do next. This NEVER happened with my previous RE, where I was always called by a nurse and then asked to schedule an appointment with the Dr.
After 3 complete transfer failures and one blighted ovum with my previous RE, Dr. H suggested doing a diagnostic hysteroscopy before continuing treatment. So I took off a cycle to get that done and the next cycle I prepped for another eSET. That was non-lupron hormone replacement cycle with baby aspirin, vaginal estrogen, and patches, followed by 4 days of medrol, a z-pack, 300mg Endometrin and PIO. This cycle failed and we plan to do a Endometrial Receptivity Assay next.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Marni)
Marni is easiest reached via email, but is very quick to respond if I have any questions or concerns.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
If you have to go in on a Monday or a Friday be prepared to wait a little bit. It's generally a well oiled-machine (very high volume clinic, some people compare it to a cattle call), but at the beginning and end of the week it can get a little bogged down. The cattle call aspect of the clinic has thrown people off a little bit, wanting a more personalized experience, but they have top SART stats for the city.
Currently minimal (HMO), I have had to pay for tests that aren't covered by my insurance. When I switch to a PPO next year the costs will be greater.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
There have only been a couple small things that have happened at this clinic, but they are really tied to the nursing staff of my previous RE or my previous RE. Since switching within clinic to Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron I haven't had any problems.

2021, Consult
Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron was very friendly and personable while also clearly stating the facts...As a patient, I feel like I had a say in my treatment options based on unique needs/preferences. For example, it was more cost effective with my insurance to do IVF sooner than later vs. attempting 6 rounds of IUI like some doctors/clinics require. She stated the pros/cons of each approach and made us feel like we had a choice....
Clinic [Fertility Centers of Illinois] is newly remodeled and very nice. The front desk always seemed organized and I never had an issue scheduling a convenient appointment time. Good COVID protocols in place. I never had to wait more than 10 minutes upon arrival. Only con is the parking - limited street parking and garage parking is ~$15...I mostly interacted with Kassie [nurse], and she was extremely responsive (both by phone and portal message)...
Smart, friendly, good at answering questions. As a patient, I feel like I had a say in my treatment options based on unique needs/preferences. For example, it was more cost effective with my insurance to do IVF sooner than later vs. attempting 6 rounds of IUI like some doctors/clinics require. She stated the pros/cons of each approach and made us feel like we had a choice.
Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron was very friendly and personable while also clearly stating the facts - it was a good balance.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Kassie)
Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron's nursing team was AMAZING. I mostly interacted with Kassie, and she was extremely responsive (both by phone and portal message). This honestly made our experience at the clinic as we spent most of the time working with the nurses to coordinate care, confirm next steps, order meds, etc.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Clinic is newly remodeled and very nice. The front desk always seemed organized and I never had an issue scheduling a convenient appointment time. Good COVID protocols in place. I never had to wait more than 10 minutes upon arrival. Only con is the parking - limited street parking and garage parking is ~$15.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
When I first met Dr. Hirschfield she explained to me that being a women over 40 it may be hard to conceive. She also recommended pgs testing unfortunately I cannot afford the testing. She explained it may take up to five cycles to conceive.. I am open to the cycles in order to be able to have a child.....Dr. Hirschfield is a great doctor every step of the way she communicated with me. As a woman in no way did she treat me like a number she was open and honest about each protocol and cycle.
[at Fertility Centers of IL-Chicago] be prepared to sit and wait everyday for blood testing and ultrasound do adjust your schedule..the clinic will try and get you in and out as fast as possible..weaknesses would be they don’t have enough staff to draw blood.. which can cause a longer wait.... Dr. Hirschfield is a great doctor every step of the way she communicated with me. As a woman in no way did she treat me like a number she was open and honest about each protocol and cycle.
Be open minded
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Jessic gutow)
The nurses were great
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Be open minded.. this journey is not an easy one.. be prepared to sit and wait everyday for blood testing and ultrasound do adjust your schedule..the clinic will try and get you in and out as fast as possible..weaknesses would be they don’t have enough staff to draw blood.. which can cause a longer wait..
190,000.plus I was advised that my fibroids may be causing an issue with the baby implanting so I had surgery after my first cycle.. I believe that I have spent a lot of money during this process..I have spent so much money that I cannot afford pgs testing

2016, 14 Eggs Frozen
She [Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron] answered all of my questions in a professional yet honest manner and worked with my ideal timeline to get the retrieval completed before the end of the year (and I'd have new insurance that potentially wouldn't help cover the costs)...She recommended acupuncture. I have been seeing a Chinese medicine doctor for seasonal acupuncture for years; but for the month or two leading up to my retrieval, I went to him once a week...
I was a patient at FCI River North: I appreciated everyone who worked there. They see a large quantity of patients, so I understand how some people might "feel like a number" during a very emotional time. But I never felt this way. I kept their responsibilities in perspective and was always friendly and upbeat -- and received the same in return...The nurses at FCI River North (where I saw the doctor and had my retrieval done) were great...
Had a good experience with her. She answered all of my questions in a professional yet honest manner and worked with my ideal timeline to get the retrieval completed before the end of the year (and I'd have new insurance that potentially wouldn't help cover the costs).
Come prepared with your own questions to make the most of your time together.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Haven't received the final-final tally for everything yet. But I'm looking at somewhere between $6k-$9k total with my insurance.
Tinley Park

Doctor Hirshfeld did not stop until I had the correct diagnosis. She is a wealth of knowledge!! She was extremely detailed in all appointments and made me feel like I was top priority. I never walked out of an appointment confused. After years of going through infertility treatment at another clinic, I’m so glad I switched to Dr Hirshfeld...we are finally having a baby!...She truly cares about her patients and listens to all concerns. I never felt rushed.
Strengths [at Fertility Centers of Illinois]- prompt with appointment times, relaxed atmosphere, and friendly/caring staff. Easy parking at the River North and Tinley locations. Flexible with scheduling blood work and ultrasounds around work...I never felt confused on any of my testing done [with the nurses]. They are such a compassionate staff...Doctor Hirshfeld did not stop until I had the correct diagnosis. She is a wealth of knowledge!! She was extremely detailed in all appointments and made me feel like I was top priority.
Doctor Hirshfeld did not stop until I had the correct diagnosis. She is a wealth of knowledge!! She was extremely detailed in all appointments and made me feel like I was top priority. I never walked out of an appointment confused. After years of going through infertility treatment at another clinic, I’m so glad I switched to Dr Hirshfeld at FCI- we are finally having a baby!
Don’t give up and have faith.
I never felt confused on any of my testing done. They are such a compassionate staff.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Strengths- prompt with appointment times, relaxed atmosphere, and friendly/caring staff. Easy parking at the River North and Tinley locations. Flexible with scheduling blood work and ultrasounds around work.
Tinley Park

Dr. Hirshfeld is a clear communicator who always took time to answer my questions. She was very proactive with my treatment, particularly after a chemical pregnancy. I felt confident working with her...My (numerous) questions were always answered quickly either by my nurse or doctor. I was always taken for appointments in a timely manner. I felt like Dr. Hirshfeld was also proactive with my treatment.
Sometimes monitoring appointments can run behind [at Fertility Centers of Illinois]. For other appointments, I was always seen in a timely manner. Also, FCI’s billing department is horrible. Always double check your statements to make sure things check out...My (numerous) questions were always answered quickly either by my nurse or doctor. I was always taken for appointments in a timely manner.
As with any doctor, ask questions so that you are fully aware of next steps and why certain things are happening.
Marni was always quick to respond to my emails and was a great liaison between Dr. Hirshfeld and myself.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Sometimes monitoring appointments can run behind. For other appointments, I was always seen in a timely manner. Also, FCI’s billing department is horrible. Always double check your statements to make sure things check out.

2013 - 2015, Successful
She [Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron] was a busy lady but always made time for me when I needed her. She knew my name, what my husband did for work, and seemed to genuinely care about my concerns...She was a busy physician but very competent and always made time for her patients. I wish she would've explained my diagnosis more with me but she was always willing and able to answer questions. She was extremely smart. Very researched based and did her homework. She was aggressive with treatment (in a good way) and just wanted me to get pregnant...
The entire [Fertility Centers of Illinois - Tinley Park] clinic is successful because of the nurses. The nurses are the key. Ask them all the questions you want or need to ask. They are so amazing...
The entire clinic is successful because of the nurses. The nurses are the key. Ask them all the questions you want or need to ask. They are so amazing.
She was a busy lady but always made time for me when I needed her. She knew my name, what my husband did for work, and seemed to genuinely care about my concerns.
Tinley Park

I love this clinic, but I think they are too crowded and allow for too many patients. Especially during Covid, I have felt like there are too many people in the room at the same time. I would recommend them being more selective for patients and having fewer patients...I would fully recommend Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron to any patient. I love her no-nonsense, no sugar coating, real attitude towards conceiving. She gives you all of the information, including the risks. Her recommended courses of action are very conservative and are likely to lead to very positive results. She was very particular with the way she handled my medication prescriptions and was very careful to monitor and adjust where needed. My care felt very personal. I am so thankful to have had her as my doctor.
Don't be worried by the seeming lack of emotion when the doctor talks to you. She truly cares and takes her job very seriously.
Dr. Hirschfeld did such a wonderful job in really providing me with specific personalized care. She answered every question I had promptly and always gave me the real answers that I needed to hear, not necessarily that i wanted to hear. I loved that she didn't sugar coat anything and "kept it real". It helped me manage my expectations.
I'll share one in particular. During my retrieval process, she decided to trigger with HCG instead of lupron because of low estrogen numbers, despite me having PCOS and having a risk of OHSS. I did in fact end up with OHSS, but I also ended up with 14 beautiful high quality embryos that may not have made it otherwise. It was truly worth it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Jen Brown)
I felt like Jen often had a little bit of a "fake" vibe. I couldn't tell if she actually cared for me at all, and that hurt. When I would talk to other nurses at FCI, they showed compassion. I felt like Jen lacked that compassion.
Chicago/River North

Dr. Hirshfeld said that they prefer to do single embryo transfers unless the female is over a certain age or has recurrent pregnancy loss...always made time to go over every detail of our IVF cycle and answer our long list of questions. She is very intelligent and honest, while also being compassionate and empathetic to our situation...The only thing I feel wasn't fully communicated was the possibility that our fertilization results may be lower than average due to my husband's azoospermia. So when we got a very disappointing fertilization report following a successful egg retrieval, we were shocked and very upset.
The clinic [Fertility Centers of Illinois is] very big and usually busy, but I always felt like the staff was very attentive and we were never rushed...The nurses at FCI are incredible. They are all so kind and take the time to answer any questions you have. The only downsides I experienced were inconsistency with using the online portal to communicate protocol updates and the size of the nursing staff.
My husband and I came to Dr. Hirshfeld after 9 months of TTC. In the past, I have felt dismissed by doctors regarding my infertility concerns, many of them believing that we had nothing to worry about because we were young and had been trying for less than a year. However, Dr. Hirshfeld took our concerns seriously and wanted to do everything possible to find answers. She took a very detailed history of both of us and explained our next steps. When we discovered that the reason we were not conceiving was azoospermia, she immediately referred us to an incredible urologist, who ended up performing a sperm retrieval operation. From there, Dr. Hirshfeld recommended we go straight to IVF and went over every detail of the process. The only thing I feel wasn't fully communicated was the possibility that our fertilization results may be lower than average due to my husband's azoospermia. So when we got a very disappointing fertilization report following a successful egg retrieval, we were shocked and very upset. After our first cycle ended with no viable embryos, we met with Dr. Hirshfeld to go over what happened and how to move forward. Before we could go into how disappointed we were about the failed cycle and the dozens of questions we had, Dr. Hirshfeld stated that she knew this was not the result we were hoping for but that there were concrete things we could do differently to get a better result next cycle. She explained that low fertilization is common following a sperm retrieval and was honest about that not being something we could change. However, she could make changes to my medication protocol in hopes of obtaining more mature eggs to fertilize. She also recommended a fresh transfer instead of the frozen transfer we originally planned to do. She explained that the clinic had seen higher success rates with fresh transfers and the possible reasons for this, but stated that the decision was of course ultimately up to us. She answered many of the questions we had before we even asked them, and remained very hopeful despite the disappointing results of our first cycle. She answered the remaining questions we had very clearly and thoughtfully and we left feeling very hopeful about our next IVF cycle. Dr. Hirshfeld is extremely intelligent and always takes the time during appointments to go over everything. She is positive and optimistic, while also being honest about the situation and chances of success. She also remembers details about our personal lives, like what we do for work, and always asks us how things are going, making us feel like more than just a number.
Ask any and all questions you have. Dr. Hirshfeld always takes the time to give very clear and thoughtful answers. While she is very kind, don't expect a lot of hand holding. Her intelligence and thoroughness is what makes her comforting, not hand holding.
Dr. Hirshfeld always made time to go over every detail of our IVF cycle and answer our long list of questions. She is very intelligent and honest, while also being compassionate and empathetic to our situation. The clinic is very big and usually busy, but I always felt like the staff was very attentive and we were never rushed.
Dr. Hirshfeld put me on the most basic protocol, since all of my initial bloodwork and ultrasounds looked good. However, during stimulation, my left ovary was much more active than my right, which struggled to keep up. She kept me at a pretty low dose of medications since my left ovary was responding well and I had a good number of follicles. But my follicles grew at different rates, leaving only a small number within the preferred range. So while they were able to retrieve 17 eggs, only 8 of those were mature and because of my husband's azoospermia, only 3 fertilized. On day 5 we only had 1 blastocyst and unfortunately it was genetically abnormal so we did not do a transfer. Dr. Hirshfeld plans on changing my protocol next cycle so that my follicles grow more evenly and we get a higher number of mature eggs. She is adding birth control and Lupron to accomplish this, which I did not take during my first cycle. The way she described it, there are different types of protocols, and they can choose one based on initial tests but they don't really know which is the best for you until you do a complete round and see the results. Now that we saw how I responded the first time around, she can better choose a protocol to give us better results. This is exactly why they say IVF is the most expensive science experiment!
The nurses at FCI are incredible. They are all so kind and take the time to answer any questions you have. The only downsides I experienced were inconsistency with using the online portal to communicate protocol updates and the size of the nursing staff. The online portal is great when you need to ask a question regarding treatment and the nurses are always quick to respond. However, they used the portal to post my medication schedule at the beginning of my cycle but then stopped using it later on in my cycle. It was not a big deal because they call you every day with the information you need, but it would be great if the information was also consistently posted on the portal through the whole cycle, just in case I failed to write something down from the phone call. Also, you rarely talk to the same person twice, as the nursing staff is pretty big. Again, not a big deal since they are all incredible, but it made it more difficult to establish a deeper relationship with the nurses.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
FCI River North is a beautiful facility with a very friendly staff. All of the doctors and nurses are great. It is usually very busy but the wait times are never long and I never feel like just a number. Your doctor may not be the one doing the actual procedures, like egg retrievals and transfers (it will be whoever the doctor on duty is). But as mentioned, they are all great, just something to be prepared for! Also, they don't always use the online portal consistently when it comes to posting treatment updates, but they are very responsive if you ever have a question and always call to communicate any updates or important information.
The monitoring appointments are very efficient and convenient. The appointments are usually in the morning, with times early enough so that it didn't interfere with my work schedule (I believe they start as early as 6:15 but I usually went in between 7 and 8). They were typically very quick, with the exception of one very busy Sunday where I waited longer than normal. All of the ultrasound techs and nurses are fantastic and very friendly.
Our insurance covered egg retrieval, fertilization, and transfer. We paid out of pocket for embryo biopsy ($1200), genetic testing ($300 for one embryo), embryo freezing ($1500), medications ($5000) and storage of my husband's sperm from his retrieval ($500 per year). We also paid smaller bills here and there for bloodwork and ultrasounds, a few hundred dollars approximately.
Dr. Hirshfeld said that they prefer to do single embryo transfers unless the female is over a certain age or has recurrent pregnancy loss. We do not fall into these categories and prefer single embryo transfers ourselves so we did not push for more information.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
When the nurse called to go over how to prepare for my egg retrieval, she started explaining how my husband should be prepared to give his sperm sample that same day. However, my husband had a sperm retrieval so the clinic already had his sample frozen. Once I reminded her of this she saw it on the chart and it was fine, but I was a little surprised she did not notice this sooner since they have to thaw the sample before the retrieval. Also, they called all of the stimulation medication into the specialty pharmacy correctly but forgot to call in the birth control to my regular pharmacy. They took care of it immediately after I brought this up but I was glad I caught it before my cycle started.