Good

Highland Park
767 Park Avenue W
Highland Park, IL 60035
847-433-4400

Doctor Hirshfeld did not stop until I had the correct diagnosis. She is a wealth of knowledge!! She was extremely detailed in all appointments and made me feel like I was top priority. I never walked out of an appointment confused. After years of going through infertility treatment at another clinic, I’m so glad I switched to Dr Hirshfeld...we are finally having a baby!...She truly cares about her patients and listens to all concerns. I never felt rushed.
Strengths [at Fertility Centers of Illinois]- prompt with appointment times, relaxed atmosphere, and friendly/caring staff. Easy parking at the River North and Tinley locations. Flexible with scheduling blood work and ultrasounds around work...I never felt confused on any of my testing done [with the nurses]. They are such a compassionate staff...Doctor Hirshfeld did not stop until I had the correct diagnosis. She is a wealth of knowledge!! She was extremely detailed in all appointments and made me feel like I was top priority.
How was your experience with Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Doctor Hirshfeld did not stop until I had the correct diagnosis. She is a wealth of knowledge!! She was extremely detailed in all appointments and made me feel like I was top priority. I never walked out of an appointment confused. After years of going through infertility treatment at another clinic, I’m so glad I switched to Dr Hirshfeld at FCI- we are finally having a baby!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Don’t give up and have faith.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I never felt confused on any of my testing done. They are such a compassionate staff.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Strengths- prompt with appointment times, relaxed atmosphere, and friendly/caring staff. Easy parking at the River North and Tinley locations. Flexible with scheduling blood work and ultrasounds around work.
Tinley Park
all i was told [by Dr. Jennifer E. Hirshfeld-Cytron] at the beginning was to take some vitamins...The doctor in not very available all the time all the communication is with the nurses...the doctors is not the most empathetic, i think she has so many patient that its like a baby factory to her. She is always in a rush to get you out of the office she is some what cold. She did give me the facts out cold...
there is always a lot of patients every day, the clinic [Fertility Centers of Illinois] is a very fast pace i think that they forgot that there helping people build a family. Everything in the clinic is very standardized its all like taking a number...[the nurse] she was great most of my questions were directed to her...all i was told at the beginning was to take some vitamins...the doctors [Dr. Jennifer E. Hirshfeld-Cytron] is not the most empathetic, i think she has so many patient that its like a baby factory to her. She is always in a rush to get you out of the office she is some what cold. She did give me the facts out cold
be patient and have questions at the beginning
Describe the protocols Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of Illinois and their degree of success.
all i was told at the beginning was to take some vitamins
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Gutow)
she was great most of my questions were directed to her.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
there is always a lot of patients every day, the clinic is a very fast pace i think that they forgot that there helping people build a family. Everything in the clinic is very standardized its all like taking a number.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
i have insurgence but i have a copay of $50 every visit, some times 3 to 4 visits a week

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
She [Dr Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron] is very clinical and intelligent. Do not go to see her if you are looking for warm and fuzzy, she will be caring but in a matter of fact straightforward manner. And will not give hope, just statistics...I definitely felt rushed there [at FCI in Tinley Park], like they want to get you in and out quickly. But they did definitely personalize the treatment
I definitely felt rushed there [at FCI in Tinley Park], like they want to get you in and out quickly. But they did definitely personalize the treatment...Amy did not show as much compassion and time as Michelle. Michelle will take time to listen to your concerns and showed genuine care....She [Dr Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron] is very clinical and intelligent. Do not go to see her if you are looking for warm and fuzzy, she will be caring but in a matter of fact straightforward manner. And will not give hope, just statistics.
She is very clinical and intelligent. Do not go to see her if you are looking for warm and fuzzy, she will be caring but in a matter of fact straightforward manner. And will not give hope, just statistics.
Do not expect a lot of emotional coaching.
I definitely felt rushed there, like they want to get you in and out quickly. But they did definitely personalize the treatment
Only transfering one embryo due to a bicornuate uterus. Going straight to IVF because of PCOS and bicornuate uterus.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Michelle)
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
They do personalize the treatment however it does have a very get in get out feeling. Revolving door of patients.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
They had convenient hours before work
BlueCross covered quite a bit but it was still expensive for the average person. And freezing embryos cost $1,200. Not covered by insurance.
2016, Unknown Success
Only saw the doctor [Dr. Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron] during the initial and end of treatment. She was nice and provided the information in a very tactical manner...She was a nice doctor; and very upfront about my specific treatment....Expect a very factual encounter...Overall it was an okay experience considering the circumstances. Most of the communication and treatment plan came from the nurses.....
The receptionist [at FCI - Tinley Park] was awesome (Rita) and so was the phlebotomist (Allison). Overall, I didn't wait long to see the doctors, phlebotomist or nurses; they ran like a well oiled machine...Most of the communication and treatment plan came from the nurses...She [the nurse] knows her stuff, but can take it for grant that patients know what she is referring too. She was very compassionate during my second treatment. Overall, really good nurse!
Overall it was an okay experience considering the circumstances. Most of the communication and treatment plan came from the nurses. Only saw the doctor during the initial and end of treatment. She was nice and provided the information in a very tactical manner.
Expect a very factual encounter.
She was a nice doctor; and very upfront about my specific treatment.
Don't remember. Second cycle micro-dose lupron
She knows her stuff, but can take it for grant that patients know what she is referring too. She was very compassionate during my second treatment. Overall, really good nurse!
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
The receptionist was awesome (Rita) and so was the phlebotomist (Allison). Overall, I didn't wait long to see the doctors, phlebotomist or nurses; they ran like a well oiled machine. I did overhear a nurse one time, telling the receptionist not put a patient to voicemail; it was a little off putting.
Around $10,000 for a complete cycle
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I don't remember the specifics.

2014, Consult
She [Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron] is obviously well trained and cares for her patients bit it seemed she was almost too busy to deal with me. She seemed distracted which made me feel not so great when I was already feeling down about the situation...I was told to keep trying naturally and hopefully that will work. I told her that 16 months of trying and no luck I'd like to go further into why this is happening.
I was rushed by the staff every appointment I had [at Fertility Centers of Illinois]. I would have wanted more time spent and honestly a little more eye contact would have helped...The nurses seemed great. They were always in a rush which is not what you want when dealing with such a delicate situation...They had good organization but they were always over booked. Long waits, rushing through appointments. They were always nice to me and my husband.
She is obviously well trained and cares for her patients bit it seemed she was almost too busy to deal with me. She seemed distracted which made me feel not so great when I was already feeling down about the situation.
Have questions ready. It is easy to feel rushed and forget you wanted to ask something.
I was rushed by the staff every appointment I had. I would have wanted more time spent and honestly a little more eye contact would have helped.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
They had good organization but they were always over booked. Long waits, rushing through appointments. They were always nice to me and my husband. I would still suggest going there as any help with trying to conceive is welcome.

2013 - 2015, Successful
She [Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron] was a busy lady but always made time for me when I needed her. She knew my name, what my husband did for work, and seemed to genuinely care about my concerns...She was a busy physician but very competent and always made time for her patients. I wish she would've explained my diagnosis more with me but she was always willing and able to answer questions. She was extremely smart. Very researched based and did her homework. She was aggressive with treatment (in a good way) and just wanted me to get pregnant...
The entire [Fertility Centers of Illinois - Tinley Park] clinic is successful because of the nurses. The nurses are the key. Ask them all the questions you want or need to ask. They are so amazing...
The entire clinic is successful because of the nurses. The nurses are the key. Ask them all the questions you want or need to ask. They are so amazing.
She was a busy lady but always made time for me when I needed her. She knew my name, what my husband did for work, and seemed to genuinely care about my concerns.
Tinley Park

I love this clinic, but I think they are too crowded and allow for too many patients. Especially during Covid, I have felt like there are too many people in the room at the same time. I would recommend them being more selective for patients and having fewer patients...I would fully recommend Dr. Hirshfeld-Cytron to any patient. I love her no-nonsense, no sugar coating, real attitude towards conceiving. She gives you all of the information, including the risks. Her recommended courses of action are very conservative and are likely to lead to very positive results. She was very particular with the way she handled my medication prescriptions and was very careful to monitor and adjust where needed. My care felt very personal. I am so thankful to have had her as my doctor.
Don't be worried by the seeming lack of emotion when the doctor talks to you. She truly cares and takes her job very seriously.
Dr. Hirschfeld did such a wonderful job in really providing me with specific personalized care. She answered every question I had promptly and always gave me the real answers that I needed to hear, not necessarily that i wanted to hear. I loved that she didn't sugar coat anything and "kept it real". It helped me manage my expectations.
I'll share one in particular. During my retrieval process, she decided to trigger with HCG instead of lupron because of low estrogen numbers, despite me having PCOS and having a risk of OHSS. I did in fact end up with OHSS, but I also ended up with 14 beautiful high quality embryos that may not have made it otherwise. It was truly worth it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Jen Brown)
I felt like Jen often had a little bit of a "fake" vibe. I couldn't tell if she actually cared for me at all, and that hurt. When I would talk to other nurses at FCI, they showed compassion. I felt like Jen lacked that compassion.
Chicago/River North

She [Dr. Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron] performed an ultrasound to check for blocked tubes and once she found a blockage she referred me to a surgeon...Not super friendly...She is very knowledgeable and I didn’t feel rushed in her office and she always took the time to answer my questions. She wasn’t very warm or overly friendly. I felt like she knew what she was doing but she misdiagnosed my case.
Short wait time every time I came in [to Fertility Centers of Illinois]. Easy to make an appointment. The receptionist was very helpful with insurance information and explaining my benefits and what I would pay for services. The phlebotomist was great...Amy [nurse] was very organized and very friendly. She was easy to talk to and easy to get ahold of when I called the office. She explained everything in detail and went over all of the paperwork I was getting sent home with very thoroughly.
None
Not super friendly
She performed an ultrasound to check for blocked tubes and once she found a blockage she referred me to a surgeon
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
Amy was very organized and very friendly. She was easy to talk to and easy to get ahold of when I called the office. She explained everything in detail and went over all of the paperwork I was getting sent home with very thoroughly.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Short wait time every time I came in. Easy to make an appointment. The receptionist was very helpful with insurance information and explaining my benefits and what I would pay for services. The phlebotomist was great.
I had already met my deductible for the year and my max out of pocket so seeing her and all procedures were free to me.
Describe Jennifer Hirshfeld-Cytron's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
None
Tinley Park
I thought she [Dr. Jennifer E. Hirshfeld-Cytron] was nice, but felt like after treatment was started, she just passed me on. I only met with her a couple times. My options were limited. At times, I felt it was more about the money. I hope it was just my situation that is why I felt this way. ... I had IUI’s with injections . ... Fight for what you want and stay strong.
I felt that they [Fertility Centers of Illinois - Tinley Park] were more concerned with collecting my fee than showing compassion. They actually put me in collections even though I was making payments and was almost paid off. The woman from billing was very rude and condescending. ... [nurse] She was very kind and helpful. ... [cost of treatment] 5,000
I thought she was nice, but felt like after treatment was started, she just passed me on. I only met with her a couple times. My options were limited. At times, I felt it was more about the money. I hope it was just my situation that is why I felt this way.
Fight for what you want and stay strong.
It was an okay experience.
I had IUI’s with injections .
She was very kind and helpful.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I felt that they were more concerned with collecting my fee than showing compassion. They actually put me in collections even though I was making payments and was almost paid off. The woman from billing was very rude and condescending.
Tinley Park

Dr. Hirshfeld said that they prefer to do single embryo transfers unless the female is over a certain age or has recurrent pregnancy loss...always made time to go over every detail of our IVF cycle and answer our long list of questions. She is very intelligent and honest, while also being compassionate and empathetic to our situation...The only thing I feel wasn't fully communicated was the possibility that our fertilization results may be lower than average due to my husband's azoospermia. So when we got a very disappointing fertilization report following a successful egg retrieval, we were shocked and very upset.
The clinic [Fertility Centers of Illinois is] very big and usually busy, but I always felt like the staff was very attentive and we were never rushed...The nurses at FCI are incredible. They are all so kind and take the time to answer any questions you have. The only downsides I experienced were inconsistency with using the online portal to communicate protocol updates and the size of the nursing staff.
My husband and I came to Dr. Hirshfeld after 9 months of TTC. In the past, I have felt dismissed by doctors regarding my infertility concerns, many of them believing that we had nothing to worry about because we were young and had been trying for less than a year. However, Dr. Hirshfeld took our concerns seriously and wanted to do everything possible to find answers. She took a very detailed history of both of us and explained our next steps. When we discovered that the reason we were not conceiving was azoospermia, she immediately referred us to an incredible urologist, who ended up performing a sperm retrieval operation. From there, Dr. Hirshfeld recommended we go straight to IVF and went over every detail of the process. The only thing I feel wasn't fully communicated was the possibility that our fertilization results may be lower than average due to my husband's azoospermia. So when we got a very disappointing fertilization report following a successful egg retrieval, we were shocked and very upset. After our first cycle ended with no viable embryos, we met with Dr. Hirshfeld to go over what happened and how to move forward. Before we could go into how disappointed we were about the failed cycle and the dozens of questions we had, Dr. Hirshfeld stated that she knew this was not the result we were hoping for but that there were concrete things we could do differently to get a better result next cycle. She explained that low fertilization is common following a sperm retrieval and was honest about that not being something we could change. However, she could make changes to my medication protocol in hopes of obtaining more mature eggs to fertilize. She also recommended a fresh transfer instead of the frozen transfer we originally planned to do. She explained that the clinic had seen higher success rates with fresh transfers and the possible reasons for this, but stated that the decision was of course ultimately up to us. She answered many of the questions we had before we even asked them, and remained very hopeful despite the disappointing results of our first cycle. She answered the remaining questions we had very clearly and thoughtfully and we left feeling very hopeful about our next IVF cycle. Dr. Hirshfeld is extremely intelligent and always takes the time during appointments to go over everything. She is positive and optimistic, while also being honest about the situation and chances of success. She also remembers details about our personal lives, like what we do for work, and always asks us how things are going, making us feel like more than just a number.
Ask any and all questions you have. Dr. Hirshfeld always takes the time to give very clear and thoughtful answers. While she is very kind, don't expect a lot of hand holding. Her intelligence and thoroughness is what makes her comforting, not hand holding.
Dr. Hirshfeld always made time to go over every detail of our IVF cycle and answer our long list of questions. She is very intelligent and honest, while also being compassionate and empathetic to our situation. The clinic is very big and usually busy, but I always felt like the staff was very attentive and we were never rushed.
Dr. Hirshfeld put me on the most basic protocol, since all of my initial bloodwork and ultrasounds looked good. However, during stimulation, my left ovary was much more active than my right, which struggled to keep up. She kept me at a pretty low dose of medications since my left ovary was responding well and I had a good number of follicles. But my follicles grew at different rates, leaving only a small number within the preferred range. So while they were able to retrieve 17 eggs, only 8 of those were mature and because of my husband's azoospermia, only 3 fertilized. On day 5 we only had 1 blastocyst and unfortunately it was genetically abnormal so we did not do a transfer. Dr. Hirshfeld plans on changing my protocol next cycle so that my follicles grow more evenly and we get a higher number of mature eggs. She is adding birth control and Lupron to accomplish this, which I did not take during my first cycle. The way she described it, there are different types of protocols, and they can choose one based on initial tests but they don't really know which is the best for you until you do a complete round and see the results. Now that we saw how I responded the first time around, she can better choose a protocol to give us better results. This is exactly why they say IVF is the most expensive science experiment!
The nurses at FCI are incredible. They are all so kind and take the time to answer any questions you have. The only downsides I experienced were inconsistency with using the online portal to communicate protocol updates and the size of the nursing staff. The online portal is great when you need to ask a question regarding treatment and the nurses are always quick to respond. However, they used the portal to post my medication schedule at the beginning of my cycle but then stopped using it later on in my cycle. It was not a big deal because they call you every day with the information you need, but it would be great if the information was also consistently posted on the portal through the whole cycle, just in case I failed to write something down from the phone call. Also, you rarely talk to the same person twice, as the nursing staff is pretty big. Again, not a big deal since they are all incredible, but it made it more difficult to establish a deeper relationship with the nurses.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
FCI River North is a beautiful facility with a very friendly staff. All of the doctors and nurses are great. It is usually very busy but the wait times are never long and I never feel like just a number. Your doctor may not be the one doing the actual procedures, like egg retrievals and transfers (it will be whoever the doctor on duty is). But as mentioned, they are all great, just something to be prepared for! Also, they don't always use the online portal consistently when it comes to posting treatment updates, but they are very responsive if you ever have a question and always call to communicate any updates or important information.
The monitoring appointments are very efficient and convenient. The appointments are usually in the morning, with times early enough so that it didn't interfere with my work schedule (I believe they start as early as 6:15 but I usually went in between 7 and 8). They were typically very quick, with the exception of one very busy Sunday where I waited longer than normal. All of the ultrasound techs and nurses are fantastic and very friendly.
Our insurance covered egg retrieval, fertilization, and transfer. We paid out of pocket for embryo biopsy ($1200), genetic testing ($300 for one embryo), embryo freezing ($1500), medications ($5000) and storage of my husband's sperm from his retrieval ($500 per year). We also paid smaller bills here and there for bloodwork and ultrasounds, a few hundred dollars approximately.
Dr. Hirshfeld said that they prefer to do single embryo transfers unless the female is over a certain age or has recurrent pregnancy loss. We do not fall into these categories and prefer single embryo transfers ourselves so we did not push for more information.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
When the nurse called to go over how to prepare for my egg retrieval, she started explaining how my husband should be prepared to give his sperm sample that same day. However, my husband had a sperm retrieval so the clinic already had his sample frozen. Once I reminded her of this she saw it on the chart and it was fine, but I was a little surprised she did not notice this sooner since they have to thaw the sample before the retrieval. Also, they called all of the stimulation medication into the specialty pharmacy correctly but forgot to call in the birth control to my regular pharmacy. They took care of it immediately after I brought this up but I was glad I caught it before my cycle started.