Doctor available by email
FellowshipNorthwestern
5704 Fayetteville Road
Durham, NC 27713
919-572-4673
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Jennifer Eaton to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 47%Don't recommend: 53%7

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Duke Fertility Center to a friend?
2016 - 2019
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
She [Dr. Eaton] is a great doctor and I feel very respected by her. She is warm and compassionate while also being direct and honest. She has a good sense of humor, she provides a lot of hope and optimism ... I’ve had several doctors perform procedures and I had honestly less Pain after she performs the procedure than others. Sometimes it is hard to get an appointment with her in a timely manner. Overall, I highly recommend her.
2016 - 2019
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
She is a great doctor and I feel very respected by her. She is warm and compassionate while also being direct and honest. She has a good sense of humor, she provides a lot of hope and optimism, and she has a great sense of humor. I’ve had several doctors perform procedures and I had honestly less Pain after she performs the procedure than others. Sometimes it is hard to get an appointment with her in a timely manner. Overall, I highly recommend her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
You can trust her to be honest. She does follow pretty standard treatment protocols, so if you are looking for someone with an alternative approach, it might not be her. But she is very very grounded in research, and can quote the latest research findings for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
She is warm, a sense of humor, always greets me with a hug, compassionate after loss, positive and hopeful, always leaves lots of time for questions, direct and clear about medical information and expectations.
Describe the protocols Jennifer Eaton used in your cycles at Duke Fertility Center and their degree of success.
We used the same approach in all five cycles. She was happy with the results, so we repeated to the same strategy every time. My issue was not egg quantity, and our embryos tend to live for five days, but with PGS it turns out we have lots of chromosomal issues. Each round was about 8-11 days of stimulation with 75 menopur and 150 gonal F. We did a natural FET transfer with estradiol patches for 4 weeks and acrimony vaginal progesterone. At 6 weeks we had a heart beat, at 7 nothing. Next transfer she recommends switching to IM progesterone in oil due to recent published study.
I get hugs every time I come to the clinic from several different nurses. They have been warm and attentive. When I miscarried, two came into the room to give me hugs who were not even assigned to my case that day. Very kind and competent.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
It can be a pain to get somebody on the phone in a timely manner. I’m often on hold for up to a half an hour on the phone. This is certainly not ideal. Once I’m there I feel they are organized and attentive, so I’m not sure what’s up with the phone issue. I truly feel very cared for and I think all my providers have been very competent. Duke is very protocol driven though, so if you’re interested in a clinic that Experiments with untested but promising new alternative modalities, this is not the place for you. But they make choices that seem very solid and research driven. Over all I have found them to be extremely compassionate, caring, and person centered.
Describe Jennifer Eaton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Duke Fertility Center.
My doc Only allows a single transfer at a time for me because they are five day old blastocysts and PGS normal. I have not challenge this recommendation.
Durham

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center.

Dr. Eaton was pleasant and knowledgeable. I wish she and not a fellow would perform the IUI’s... I was surprised that some things weren’t covered, outside of my questions at the end. (Like at the end of the day, what is our liklihood of bringing home a baby using IUI vs. IVF or how does my weight impact these numbers?)... . Each cycle was about the same. Med doses didn’t change as we continued doing IUI’s. For IVF, we learned that we didn’t stimulate long enough, and many of my eggs were not mature. I did one more IUI after this, and I didn’t feel like that was taken into consideration during the IUI.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr. Eaton was pleasant and knowledgeable. I wish she and not a fellow would perform the IUI’s. I felt safe and comfortable in her care, but I didn’t feel like things were tailored to us as much as they could have been.
I would say to come with a list of questions. In our meetings, I was surprised that some things weren’t covered, outside of my questions at the end. (Like at the end of the day, what is our liklihood of bringing home a baby using IUI vs. IVF or how does my weight impact these numbers?)
When asking questions, I felt like the responses were not tailored to me, but rather what the “data” said. Even though I noted how our situation might be different, it felt like they were just following a protocol that they wouldn’t move away from.
For IUI, I started with clomid, which gave me horrible side effects - so I switched to letrozole for the rest of my IUI cycles. Each cycle was about the same. Med doses didn’t change as we continued doing IUI’s. For IVF, we learned that we didn’t stimulate long enough, and many of my eggs were not mature. I did one more IUI after this, and I didn’t feel like that was taken into consideration during the IUI.
The nursing staff was helpful in that they explained things well (like how to use the medications, etc.), and would call back in a timely manner. However, I felt like when they called to deliver bad news, it was always really uncomfortable and awkward (like saying “your results came back and you’re not pregnant” with an upbeat attitude.)
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
The providers are well educated and follow a strict protocol. I felt like it was still important for me to come with my own questions and to see if there was any flexibility or more clarity. Befriend the financial care counselors, they are super helpful!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Duke Fertility Center.
Monitoring appointments were smooth, but always done by different providers.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center.
I am a Duke Employee with set pricing for going to a Duke fertility clinic.
She refused to do a multiple embryo transfer.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Eaton is very straight-forward and patient and willing to explain all of the medical information clearly and in detail. She presented us with options, listened to our concerns, didn't pressure us into treatments but was clear about what she felt was the most likely to work. That said, I had a few occasions where I felt like I would have liked a more compassionate response from her... Because Duke is a teaching hospital, I see the fellows more often than I see Dr. Eaton. And my retrievals and transfers have been done by various doctors in the practice, although Dr. Eaton manages my care.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr. Eaton is very straight-forward and patient and willing to explain all of the medical information clearly and in detail. She presented us with options, listened to our concerns, didn't pressure us into treatments but was clear about what she felt was the most likely to work. That said, I had a few occasions where I felt like I would have liked a more compassionate response from her, especially when it came to missed cycles due to clinic issues.
I'm not sure.
Because Duke is a teaching hospital, I see the fellows more often than I see Dr. Eaton. And my retrievals and transfers have been done by various doctors in the practice, although Dr. Eaton manages my care. The fellows are generally warmer and more friendly than the doctors, and since this process is extremely stressful, expensive, and emotional, I don't always feel like Dr. Eaton is sensitive to that as much as I'd like her to be. However, I also feel like I've received good care from her medically. The other difficulty of this clinic is that it is very busy, and the patient really needs to be on top of their own care or it's easy to miss cycles because you don't have all your paperwork, labs, meds, etc. in order. The clinic does not give patients enough support with that.
I had previously undergone letrazole+trigger shot IUI for about 6 cycles with an OBGYN, so when I started seeing Dr. Eaton, she recommended trying min stim (150 menopur) IUI. We did that for about 3 cycles (she recommended going to IVF sooner, but for scheduling and financial reasons, we had to put that off). Then moved to IVF. The first IVF, I started with 300 gonal f/150 menopur and after 5 days, increased to 375 gonal f/150 menopur. I think retrieval was on day 11ish. They got 18 eggs, about half fertilized, and 5 made it to day 3. 2 of those were low quality, so Dr. Eaton transferred all 5 eggs (rationale was that the 2 low quality would not survive freezing so choice was to transfer to dispose of them). Resulted in a chemical pregnancy. I am doing the second IVF cycle now. Started with 375 gonal f/150 menopur and then reduced to 300 gonal f/150 menopur on day 5. similar timing for retrieval. This time, they got 12 eggs (but more were mature than 1st IVF), 6 fertilized and grew to day 3. Transferred 3 and froze 3. I saw Dr. Price at the transfer, so we talked through options for how many to transfer vs. freeze. This seemed like the best approach to both me and Dr. Price. Waiting for result of transfer now.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: I've worked with several nurses, but the IVF team has one person who primarily manages those patients)
In general, I feel the nursing staff are compassionate, and helpful. I've been able to call the nursing lines during IVF and IUI and get answers to my questions within a reasonable amount of time. The one thing that I wish they would do better is to be more organized in telling patients all of the things that they need to have in place before starting cycles. Between resigning consent forms, tests, ordering meds, and having donor shipment forms signed, it seems like every cycle there is something missing that results in a stressful period of running to the clinic to sign forms that i didn't know I was missing. I've also missed several cycles due to issues with not having documents ready, meds ordered in time (because I wasn't told when I needed them and didn't know enough to proactively manage the clinic staff), or because the clinic had blacked out dates for IVF but didn't communicate this with patients until I was about to start a new cycle. That has been very frustrating.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
This clinic practices evidence based medicine and overall, i think they provide quality care. The front desk staff are great. The fellows are great, especially Dr. Acharya and Dr. Keyhan. However, the clinic weaknesses are related to being very busy, impersonal, seeming to have high turnover of nursing staff, and not assisting patients enough with coordination of care leading up to cycles. I've also had many issues with billing problems and insurance not being billed properly, so I have to micromanage that as well.
IUI meds plus treatment (with insurance) cost about $4000-5000 per cycle, I think. IVF meds cost about $6000 and cycle with my insurance cost $4800. Although, I spent the past 3 months fighting with Duke Medicine over a $15000 bill for IVF because my insurance was improperly registered in their system, and my claims were being rejected.
Dr. Eaton recommended transferring 3 embryos prior to starting IVf, due to my age and the fact that I was okay doing selective reduction. That said, I was a little nervous about the 5 embryo transfer, but I trusted that Dr. Eaton is conservative and doesn't have a high multiples rate, so she was advising us well.

Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Her [Dr. Jennifer Eaton] strengths are very organized and thorough. She knows exactly what should be the next steps as it relates to you...Her weaknesses is not having empathy when they are trying to decide best options along with financing IVF...I always felt she cared during the stages of possibly going to IVF. However, as time past along, my husband and I were speaking about our options, how to possibly fund it, and whether this was the best plan of action. When I called and emailed her about a more affordable option of IVF, my call nor email was not responded to. Therefore, I felt as if she was not showing any empathy to our needs and wanting to know if this would be an option for us versus traveling to the doctor's office and paying another co-pay for a five minute conversation.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
Her strengths are very organized and thorough. She knows exactly what should be the next steps as it relates to you. However, if patients have additional questions or concerns, I feel a return email should happen versus the patient coming in each time there is a question especially if University of Southern California is doing research on a cheaper option that your clinic offers. Her weaknesses is not having empathy when they are trying to decide best options along with financing IVF.
Respond to emails and voicemails.
After removing my right Fallopian tube based on complete blockage and inflammation, she determined that I had chronic endometriosis. Therefore, she recommended Lupron Depot to reduce the endometriosis and begin the fertility process with injections and IVF.
They were very nice...I didn't have to work with them that much other than walking me to the room, collecting blood, etc.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
The clinic strengths are very high as I felt they knew exactly what they were doing during my treatment. They're weaknesses were just moving me around so quickly that I felt there was not enough time to ask questions without feeling as if they were going to be bothered by another question. Also, sometimes I did not know what to ask or what are other options that could be cheaper.
Over 10, 000 since I had to have a surgery.
I do not remember.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Do your research on what testing is done at other clinics to diagnose infertility causes and be sure she [Dr. Eaton] orders them... My husband had poor SA results and I feel like it was dismissed without being addressed, she did not order another SA to confirm the poor result, nor refer him to a urologist. Feel like the plan is dead in the water until we give up and go on to IVF...I feel like she had a plan in mind five minutes into our first appointment and did not defer from the course.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
I feel like she had a plan in mind five minutes into our first appointment and did not defer from the course. She skips certain testing done at other clinics that is vital for information in diagnosing causes of infertility. My husband had poor SA results and I feel like it was dismissed without being addressed, she did not order another SA to confirm the poor result, nor refer him to a urologist. Feel like the plan is dead in the water until we give up and go on to IVF.
Do your research on what testing is done at other clinics to diagnose infertility causes and be sure she orders them.
Jennifer Eaton has a great bedside manner.
2.5mg Letrozole with Ovidrel trigger
Nursing staff is ok. They are quick at getting people seen. Had a bad experience with a nurse doing phlebotomy - she prematurely ripped out the butterfly and stuck me in the finger with the needle, then had to poke me again for blood. Left bruising all over my arm.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
The clinic is quick about seeing patients, but I feel like they cut corners in diagnosing causes of infertility. They don't care about the cause. They just get you on a standard plan of medicated cycles until eventually getting to IVF. I feel as if it is a "one-size-fits-all" plan of care.
So far I've only had to pay $40 copays at appointments.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
I felt that Dr. Eaton took adequate time with me and that she expressed sorrow for the long infertility journey that I'd been on...I only saw Dr. Eaton about 3 or 4 times, but I felt that she was personable and took time with me as needed and answered my questions well. She referred me on to a rheumatologist when some blood tests showed other concerns that were outside of her expertise, and I appreciated that she wanted me to have those results looked at by another specialist.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
Ask questions and know what kinds of things you are and aren't comfortable with doing treatment-wise.
I didn't do any treatment cycles with Dr. Eaton.
I had limited interaction with the nurses, but they seemed nice enough.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
I don't have any suggestions. Nothing stood out as exceptionally bad or good. The staff members that I saw seemed to do their jobs well. It would be nice if more of the doctors there were female as Dr. Eaton is the only woman out of 4 doctors.
I don't remember specific costs. I only remember what I had to pay after insurance which was reasonable.
I didn't do any treatment cycles with Dr. Eaton.
Durham
Dr. Eaton spent time carefully explaining my test results and answering my questions...Dr. Eaton is very attentive and clear in her communication. It is clear she cares about her patients. She is extremely knowledgeable and shares the latest research with her patients....There is a long wait time to book an appointment [at Duke Fertility Center] and it is difficult to get in touch with a live person on the phone. Messages are not always returned quickly by nurses.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
There is a long wait time to book an appointment and it is difficult to get in touch with a live person on the phone. Messages are not always returned quickly by nurses.
Durham

She [Dr. Eaton] always took the time to go over everything with me in detail and made me feel like I matter... She treated me with respect and I felt as if she was right there with me fighting this battle.She is the warmest Doctor I have ever met... We didn't get to bring home a baby but she made the whole process a lot less taxing...
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
She is the warmest Doctor I have ever met. We didn't get to bring home a baby but she made the whole process a lot less taxing.
She always took the time to go over everything with me in detail and made me feel like I matter.