6.3

Jennifer Eaton works at

5704 Fayetteville Road
Durham, NC 27713
919-572-4673

Dr. Eaton has listened to me and my husband’s concerns and incorporated me in my own treatment. She explained everything very well. She is kind and compassionate which I appreciated during this difficult process...is very intelligent and was knowledgeable about treatment options. She was able to answer all of our questions without hesitation. She is honest and told us what she thought would work best for us...now recommends IVF for since I’ve had 4 IUIs now.
Kim [nurse at Duke Fertility Center] is friendly and always responds my to messages and calls. She does not forget to follow up. There was another nurse Stephanie who sent me the wrong treatment calendar and instructions before and I had to correct her...They are always able to get me in for appointments for blood and ultrasound that work with my schedule and are quick to follow up with me. Some days the waiting rooms are really full but I’ve only had to wait long a few times. After my ultrasound they have you go back in the waiting room until they draw your blood.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr Eaton is very intelligent and was knowledgeable about treatment options. She was able to answer all of our questions without hesitation. She is honest and told us what she thought would work best for us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
Come prepared with questions for her to answer. She took the time to answer all our questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Jennifer Eaton used in your cycles at Duke Fertility Center and their degree of success.
When I started seeing Dr. Eaton I was already on Femara that my OB has previously put me on and increased my dose. She had me continue taking this dose and had me come for baseline day 3 ultrasound, day 12 ultrasound & bloodwork and then had me trigger with Ovidrel if I was ready that night and come 36 hrs later for IUI. I have responded to well and have been ovulating but just haven’t gotten pregnant. Dr. Eaton now recommends IVF for since I’ve had 4 IUIs now.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
Kim is friendly and always responds my to messages and calls. She does not forget to follow up. There was another nurse Stephanie who sent me the wrong treatment calendar and instructions before and I had to correct her.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center.
I am a Duke employee so I have a special insurance plan with my employer. I paid 55$ for visits where I saw Dr. Eaton and 55$ per IUI. All my ultrasounds and blood work are free.
What specific things went wrong at Duke Fertility Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
When I first started IUI the nurse sent me the wrong treatment calendar. They did promptly fix this when I told them.

2013 - 2019, Successful
Dr.Eaton truly loves her job as a reproductive endocrinologist. She works tirelessly to make sure her patients are heard, taken care of and respected, even by her own staff. Through all of the ups and downs of the infertility journey, I always felt like I had her in my corner to help me pick the best option for me, my spouse and our plans to be parents.... Dr. Eaton has great bedside manner. She truly gets to know her patients, their wants and desires and works with you to come up with a plan that meets all of your needs and comfort levels.
As an entity of Duke University, we had high expectations for the clinic. They were not met as the front desk staff, nurses and finance staff were unprofessional, not compassionate of patients, and unorganized. We made a serious of complaints over the years to leadership of the clinic and our own RE, Dr. Eaton. Our Dr. agreed with a lot of the complaints we had. At times we had considered leaving but stayed because we loved our doctor, Dr. Eaton. After being away from the clinic after getting pregnant and having our son, we now know that there has been a number of changes that seem to be improving the clinic.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
She has high expectations of her patients, staff and self.
We were introduced to Dr. Eaton after for failed unmedicated IUIs. Since I did not have any noted health issues, she recommend that we try medicated IUIs. The medication worked great, but the fellows who performed the IUIs could not navigate my spec fix and most likely the sperm never made it to the corrrct location. After 4 unsuccessful medicated IUIs, we decided to proceed with IVF. The protocol was birth control for ~22 days to suppress ovulation, stimulation medications to include Gonal F and Menopur. The doses given were high and caused me to stimulate too quickly. 15 eggs were retrieved after a week of stimulations. 8 eggs were mature, 4 fertilized and 3 made it to day 5. We transferred two fresh embryos, which resulted in a negative pregnancy test. After the difficulty with passing my cervix, Dr. Eaton wanted to only proceed with frozen transfers so that she could be the one to perform the transfer rather than the RE On call that day. We then transferred the remaining frozen embryo which also resulted in a negative pregnancy test. We then proceed per another IVF cycle. Repeated the birth control for ~22 days, but lower the dose of Gonal F and Menopur stimulation meds. Dr. Eaton pushed my body to 10 days, which resulted in borderline OHSS estradiol levels, so we did a freeze all. We retrieved 15 eggs, 14 mature, 13 fertilized and 8 made it to day 5. We transferred 2 eggs first which ended in a negative pregnancy test. Transferred two more, negative test. Transferred one more, positive pregnancy test and early miscarriage/chemical. Dr.Eaton found this to be promising as I finally got pregnant. We then decided to proceed to IVF Cycle#3, same protocol as IVF cycle #2, but do PGS testing. We retrieved 23 eggs, 15 mature, 13 fertilized, 12 made it to day 3, 2 made it to day 5, one was normal and one abnormal. We transferred the normal and remaining embryo from IVF cycle 2. We had a positive pregnancy test, a healthy 41 week pregnancy and a healthy baby boy born via c-section. We are now discussing steps for IVF cycle #4 for baby #2.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
In the 5 years we were at the clinic, we had a lot of turn over. There were so great nurses but due to leadership (which has since changed) at the clinic a lot of them did not stay long.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
For my first thre cycles as a Duke employee, I received a discount. My fourth upcoming cycle is no longer eligible for employee benefits do it will be $20k for IVF retrieval, ICSI, PGS testing, medications and one transfer.
2016 - 2019, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Eaton] is a great doctor and I feel very respected by her. She is warm and compassionate while also being direct and honest. She has a good sense of humor, she provides a lot of hope and optimism ... I’ve had several doctors perform procedures and I had honestly less Pain after she performs the procedure than others. Sometimes it is hard to get an appointment with her in a timely manner. Overall, I highly recommend her.
I’m often on hold for up to a half an hour on the phone. ... Once I’m there I feel they are organized and attentive, so I’m not sure what’s up with the phone issue. I truly feel very cared for and I think all my providers have been very competent. Duke is very protocol driven though, so if you’re interested in a clinic that Experiments with untested but promising new alternative modalities, this is not the place for you. But they make choices that seem very solid and research driven.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
She is a great doctor and I feel very respected by her. She is warm and compassionate while also being direct and honest. She has a good sense of humor, she provides a lot of hope and optimism, and she has a great sense of humor. I’ve had several doctors perform procedures and I had honestly less Pain after she performs the procedure than others. Sometimes it is hard to get an appointment with her in a timely manner. Overall, I highly recommend her.
You can trust her to be honest. She does follow pretty standard treatment protocols, so if you are looking for someone with an alternative approach, it might not be her. But she is very very grounded in research, and can quote the latest research findings for you.
She is warm, a sense of humor, always greets me with a hug, compassionate after loss, positive and hopeful, always leaves lots of time for questions, direct and clear about medical information and expectations.
We used the same approach in all five cycles. She was happy with the results, so we repeated to the same strategy every time. My issue was not egg quantity, and our embryos tend to live for five days, but with PGS it turns out we have lots of chromosomal issues. Each round was about 8-11 days of stimulation with 75 menopur and 150 gonal F. We did a natural FET transfer with estradiol patches for 4 weeks and acrimony vaginal progesterone. At 6 weeks we had a heart beat, at 7 nothing. Next transfer she recommends switching to IM progesterone in oil due to recent published study.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
I get hugs every time I come to the clinic from several different nurses. They have been warm and attentive. When I miscarried, two came into the room to give me hugs who were not even assigned to my case that day. Very kind and competent.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
It can be a pain to get somebody on the phone in a timely manner. I’m often on hold for up to a half an hour on the phone. This is certainly not ideal. Once I’m there I feel they are organized and attentive, so I’m not sure what’s up with the phone issue. I truly feel very cared for and I think all my providers have been very competent. Duke is very protocol driven though, so if you’re interested in a clinic that Experiments with untested but promising new alternative modalities, this is not the place for you. But they make choices that seem very solid and research driven. Over all I have found them to be extremely compassionate, caring, and person centered.
Describe Jennifer Eaton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Duke Fertility Center.
My doc Only allows a single transfer at a time for me because they are five day old blastocysts and PGS normal. I have not challenge this recommendation.
Durham
I felt that Dr. Eaton took adequate time with me and that she expressed sorrow for the long infertility journey that I'd been on...I only saw Dr. Eaton about 3 or 4 times, but I felt that she was personable and took time with me as needed and answered my questions well. She referred me on to a rheumatologist when some blood tests showed other concerns that were outside of her expertise, and I appreciated that she wanted me to have those results looked at by another specialist.
Nothing stood out as exceptionally bad or good [at Duke Fertility Center]. The staff members that I saw seemed to do their jobs well. It would be nice if more of the doctors there were female as Dr. Eaton is the only woman out of 4 doctors...I had limited interaction with the nurses, but they seemed nice enough...I felt that Dr. Eaton took adequate time with me and that she expressed sorrow for the long infertility journey that I'd been on.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
Ask questions and know what kinds of things you are and aren't comfortable with doing treatment-wise.
I didn't do any treatment cycles with Dr. Eaton.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
I had limited interaction with the nurses, but they seemed nice enough.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
I don't have any suggestions. Nothing stood out as exceptionally bad or good. The staff members that I saw seemed to do their jobs well. It would be nice if more of the doctors there were female as Dr. Eaton is the only woman out of 4 doctors.
I don't remember specific costs. I only remember what I had to pay after insurance which was reasonable.
I didn't do any treatment cycles with Dr. Eaton.

2016, Unknown Success
Dr. Eaton spent time carefully explaining my test results and answering my questions...Dr. Eaton is very attentive and clear in her communication. It is clear she cares about her patients. She is extremely knowledgeable and shares the latest research with her patients....There is a long wait time to book an appointment [at Duke Fertility Center] and it is difficult to get in touch with a live person on the phone. Messages are not always returned quickly by nurses.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
There is a long wait time to book an appointment and it is difficult to get in touch with a live person on the phone. Messages are not always returned quickly by nurses.
2015 - 2016, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Eaton] always took the time to go over everything with me in detail and made me feel like I matter... She treated me with respect and I felt as if she was right there with me fighting this battle.She is the warmest Doctor I have ever met... We didn't get to bring home a baby but she made the whole process a lot less taxing...
She always took the time to go over everything with me in detail and made me feel like I matter.
How was your experience with Jennifer Eaton at Duke Fertility Center?
She is the warmest Doctor I have ever met. We didn't get to bring home a baby but she made the whole process a lot less taxing.