9.7

Jennifer Kawwass works at

550 Peachtree Street
Atlanta, GA 30308
404-778-3401

Be prepared that she [Dr. Jennifer Kawwass] is available only for the consults and an occasional call. She isn’t available to do the procedures...I only did IUIs. But my regimen was clomid and then 1 day of injection of Gonadotropins And then the trigger shot (Ovidril). This is the regimen that we used 2x and that resulted in the pregnancy. But they key was banking sperm ahead of time. Which they didn’t tell us was an option until we were getting ready for the 3rd IUI. It was very frustrating. And I asked about it because I had read online it was a possibility.
Several [nurses at Emory University Reproductive Center] were wonderful, others I didn’t feel connected to...I wish they had told us about sperm banking sooner, also I think each doctor should have their own nurse (or maybe 2 that each take 1/2 the week) that responds to calls and portal emails. I felt like the care was very disjointed and you felt like a number. But on an individual level, I liked our doctor and a couple of the nurses that really seemed to care and remember me.
How was your experience with Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Jennifer Kawwass is very kind and has good bedside manner. I felt like she genuinely cared if we were successful or not. Even when we switched doctors she wanted us to come back and see her when we started our family. What I didn’t like was that the continuity for care for me and my husband was always different. I never felt like outside of her office people really knew who I was. And it wa s always someone different responding to emails on the portal or providing the actual care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Be prepared that she is available only for the consults and an occasional call. She isn’t available to do the procedures.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Dr. Kawwass was wondeful. Kind thoughtful, but always truthful. I appreciated her honesty. What I didn’t like was that for the 4 IUIs over the course of more than a year, we only saw her 3 times, the initial consult, after our miscarriage (which had complications) and then ahead of our final IUI. We did talk on the phone twice. But every time I went Fir the IUI or the MVA after the miscarriage I saw a different doctor or fellow - and none were her. Also the patient portal I felt like there was inconsistency with the nurses responding. I recommend Dr. Kawwass personally, but overall was disappointed in the overall care and service at Emory.
Describe the protocols Jennifer Kawwass used in your cycles at Emory University Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Emory University Reproductive Center.
Several were wonderful, others I didn’t feel connected to.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
That you may not see your doctor for the actual procedures. And that you need to research things yourself ahead of time to ask questions and at times advocate for yourself. I really had to push for antibiotics when I felt like I was getting an infection as a result of a miscarriage that had left behind some tissue.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Kawwass at Emory University Reproductive Center.
It was minimal since it was just IUI and I has good insurance. I did have to follow-up repeatedly to get cost info for IVF and it only happened when we went back and had our final consultation with Dr.Kawwass - so she had set it up. The point person never responded to my personal emails or voicemails, but I know she had some family issues at that time. So I understood to some extent, but someone should have been responding on her behalf.
Describe Jennifer Kawwass's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Emory University Reproductive Center.
NA this hasn’t happened yet and is with another doctor.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center.

2015 - 2019, Unsuccessful
communication style is very direct, which I appreciate, but we did not connect [to Dr. Kawass] on any other level which made it difficult to hear one another. Later experiences improved but I always have the sense that I'm viewed as that crazy patient that didn't follow orders - even when there was no possibility of that happening financially at the time...If you're the type of person that just wants to be told what to do - she's incredible...
Emory is a teaching hospital. Be prepared to handle that. Everyone is wonderful but some are still learning and it makes for some interesting experiences. If you're not up for making room for that, this is not your clinic...sometimes getting told there may be 4 people in the room or a simple ultrasound taking longer because the tech doesn't have enough experience to get in and get out. Everyone is friendly but there is not one standard for the clinic. As an example - one of my nurses knows that slow follicle growth is still growth and will explain exactly what is happening.
My surgical procedure was successful but the after care was not as aggressive as it could have been. Other procedures included hormones and other precautions to avoid the condition returning. Her communication style is very direct, which I appreciate, but we did not connect on any other level which made it difficult to hear one another. Later experiences improved but I always have the sense that I'm viewed as that crazy patient that didn't follow orders - even when there was no possibility of that happening financially at the time.
..."don't come back to me a year from now saying you're ready to try IVF"... it was a devastating appointment. Not to mention we received a call from the pharmacy to pick up shots we weren't ready to use before we even left the parking lot. We did choose to take things slow after surgery... and she may have been right on the money about our timing but it isn't just about what works on paper. Knowing now just how much IUI costs add up and contemplating IVF and what it may do to our savings, there was no way we could have afforded it then. It will be financial restrictions in the end that may keep us from building our family - which is unfair and unacceptable. That said, on that day I felt like I was in danger of ruining someone's success record instead of someone who came in ready to take part in my treatment.
Pills to bring on cycle Ultrasounds HSG and SHG Surgery to address unexplained adhesion Did not order hormone regimen or balloon cath Suggested 2 immediate rounds of IUI followed by IVF within 4 months post op
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
Teaching environment often leaves a lot to be desired... the little things. And sometimes getting told there may be 4 people in the room or a simple ultrasound taking longer because the tech doesn't have enough experience to get in and get out. Everyone is friendly but there is not one standard for the clinic. As an example - one of my nurses knows that slow follicle growth is still growth and will explain exactly what is happening. Another of the nurses told me there was "no response" because my activity didn't meet the standards on paper. This is the kind of news that can send you under a blanket for days!! You have to advocate for yourself EVERY step of the way here and that is difficult to navigate when treatments are new and the process is a mystery.
What specific things went wrong at Emory University Reproductive Center?
Inconsistent results have been revealed. I had to insist that a note be placed in my chart that I don't care about what is "supposed" to be happening, I want to know what "is" happening and hear recommendations based on both parts of the equation. I am my own advocate and it is exhausting and somewhat scary to not really be led through the process. Some have far better bedside manner than other and that's fine. I just often feel I'm at square one every time I walk in.

2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr. Kawwass is compassionate, caring and sensitive to the needs of patients experiencing trouble conceiving the child they desire... Initially we tried a low dose of letrozole for ovulation induction with timed intercourse for two cycles. That did not work so we then tried letrozole with IUI. Each cycle my husband's semen count was lower and lower which led her to refer him for evaluation too.
All of the nurses [at Emory] are caring and thorough. They respond promptly and answer questions well. They are on your team rooting for you to succeed throughout the process. They are an integral part of the care team and experience.... There was only one instance when the nurse contacted me to have tests performed that I had already completed earlier in the month. It seemed as if she and the doctor and on call team from the weekends had not been communicating about my case.
Dr. Kawwass is compassionate, caring and sensitive to the needs of patients experiencing trouble conceiving the child they desire. She is there when you need her. She helps you get through the tough times and celebrate the victories.
Come prepared with questions, goals and objectives. She is open and honest and will answer all of your questions to the best of her ability.
She cared about my personal journey, getting to know both my husband and I and our goals and desires.
Initially we tried a low dose of letrozole for ovulation induction with timed intercourse for two cycles. That did not work so we then tried letrozole with IUI. Each cycle my husband's semen count was lower and lower which led her to refer him for evaluation too. Now we are in the process of proceeding with IVF since four IUIs did not result in pregnancy.
All of the nurses are caring and thorough. They respond promptly and answer questions well. They are on your team rooting for you to succeed throughout the process. They are an integral part of the care team and experience.
Describe your experience with Emory University Reproductive Center.
The clinic is strong in research, IVF and availability. They are able to get a substantial number of patients pregnant through treatment cycles. They are weak in availability sometimes on the weekends.
My insurance does not cover most infertility costs so medications were not covered but ultrasounds and IUIs were. I had to pay for all medications and any other things that were part of the IVF process
Dr. Kawwass is very clear about the need for eSET and recommends it avidly throughout your care.
Atlanta
Dr. Kawwass is good communicator and has warm bedside manners. She did explain the issue at hand and specified the risk associated with the process. Getting an appointment with the doctor is tough as she is quite busy....Clomid 24 Hr prior to process Injection in the stomach IUI... Clinic is quite neat and well maintained but is located in a sky scraper, the elevator of which is very annoying. The place is more expensive than other places so unless one is covered by Insurance one should look for other places
Clinic is quite neat and well maintained but is located in a sky scraper, the elevator of which is very annoying. The place is more expensive than other places so unless one is covered by Insurance one should look for other places... 840 for IUI... Dr. Kawwass is good communicator and has warm bedside manners. She did explain the issue at hand and specified the risk associated with the process. Getting an appointment with the doctor is tough as she is quite busy.
Ask Dr. Kawwass to perform the procedure herself rather than giving it to some nurse
Her words were encouraging and she tried to calm me as well as explain the issue at hand.
Clomid 24 Hr prior to process Injection in the stomach IUI