Medical SchoolUMDNJ – Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
ResidencyJohns Hopkins
FellowshipYale
4 Columbus Circle
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Jennifer Kulp Makarov to a friend?

6.3

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend New Hope Fertility Center to a friend?
She [Dr. Makarov] never explained why did anything. First cycle started with pills, and didn’t have shots til the end. Resulted in 3 eggs. Next she started with pills and shots. Resulted in 13 eggs. Next round she did pills and 1/2 the amount of shots. Results 8 eggs. Never discussed why the change. Finally after the third round I asked her why she thought we were getting numerous eggs but no normal ones. Her response was she basically didn’t know. It felt like she just hadn’t thought about it.
They [New Hope] almost had me cancel a cycle because on my retrieval day they had a mistake in their system saying we owed money. We didn’t, we paid the full amount the day before. They were causally looking into it until I insisted that I get my sonogram so they can do my retrieval. One tech said sorry, if you haven’t paid we can’t do anything. She was so rude. Especially because we did pay. They never apologized.
Ashkenazi Jewish, Prefer not to answer
How was your experience with Jennifer Kulp Makarov at New Hope Fertility Center?
What I says before. She was nice, but not very invested in our success. When we came for the follow up after retrieving the eggs and them being abnormal she hadn’t even looked at the results until we were in her office.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Kulp Makarov at New Hope Fertility Center?
Keep on top of everything. Make sure they are giving you the proper information and that you get it on time.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Kulp Makarov at New Hope Fertility Center?
You only spoke to her when you were there. She seemed very h concerned with the results. We have 13 eggs retrieved in our first cycle using the shots. None of them came back normal. She never addressed that, it was just onto the next cycle with no discussion. She was nice when you were in the office why her, but felt very detached from our success
Describe the protocols Jennifer Kulp Makarov used in your cycles at New Hope Fertility Center and their degree of success.
She never explained why did anything. First cycle started with pills, and didn’t have shots til the end. Resulted in 3 eggs. Next she started with pills and shots. Resulted in 13 eggs. Next round she did pills and 1/2 the amount of shots. Results 8 eggs. Never discussed why the change. Finally after the third round I asked her why she thought we were getting numerous eggs but no normal ones. Her response was she basically didn’t know. It felt like she just hadn’t thought about it.
The ones they took your blood were very nice. They had the most compassion out of any at New Hope.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
You are a number. Especially if you are upstairs. The receptionists do not care that this is one of the most sensitive things someone could go through. The actual office is lovely. You must keep on top of them and insist on the treatment that you want. If you call and want to speak with a doctor they will tell you it’s not possible. You have to insist and make a scene. They almost had me cancel a cycle because on my retrieval day they had a mistake in their system saying we owed money. We didn’t, we paid the full amount the day before. They were causally looking into it until I insisted that I get my sonogram so they can do my retrieval. One tech said sorry, if you haven’t paid we can’t do anything. She was so rude. Especially because we did pay. They never apologized.
This was actually great. You had a large window and rarely a long wait time. The Dr did most of the sonograms, if she was there. She only came in 3 days a week. In 3 retrieval she never did ours
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Kulp Makarov at New Hope Fertility Center.
It’s was about $6000 plus medication. This was only retrieval. We never got to transfer.
Describe Jennifer Kulp Makarov's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Hope Fertility Center.
They prefer single
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jennifer Kulp Makarov at New Hope Fertility Center.

2019 - 2020
I trust [Dr. Makarov's] intellect and experience, but felt in the dark quite often about why things were being done the way they were. I liked knowing what was happening and would have to bother the nurses to explain everything...Also, being 42 I don't think the doctor advised me accurately from the start at how slim the chances were of having good enough eggs and embryos without abnormalities. She is skilled and intelligent, and great at her job, but could have let us know how small the chances were before we got into it. We could have opted for a more aggressive treatment cycle.Keep notes of questions you want answered at the visits. After monitoring she has to run elsewhere, and doesn't have time to discuss side effects, make predictions etc. On one hand, it's nice not to have a "performer" giving false assurances, on the other, it would be nice to hear some positive thoughts on the process...We did mini ivf both times...The first 2 that made it to blastocysts were complex abnormal and not recommended for transfer.
Oksana [nurse at New Hope] was the main person I met with, but quite often emails would come from whoever was on staff, even if I never met them before. They would try to be detailed and when they would send emails missing information, I would have to ask for clarification, and they would send it...I would have liked if the clinic provided more than one sit down consultation with the doctor. Before starting a second IVF, I would have liked that they met with me, discussed what they think went wrong, and how they were going to address it for the next one. They should have told me, after the first egg retrieval, that I should prepare immediately for another, and the reasons why. Instead I was presented papers to sign I could barely understand, while waking up from sedation, by a disgruntled employee who didn't want to deal with me, or my collapsing recovery chair, being told that I was to have another egg retrieval for the first time.
2019 - 2020
I trust Makarov's intellect and experience, but felt in the dark quite often about why things were being done the way they were. I liked knowing what was happening and would have to bother the nurses to explain everything.
She's on the 3rd floor, not the 4th which feels like a mall during busy times. People remembered me, and answered my emails.
We did mini ivf both times. The second time around we used more GonalF per dose, so that we could get more follicles and more chances for successful embryos. The first 2 that made it to blastocysts were complex abnormal and not recommended for transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Hope Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: So many people were wonderful)
Oksana was the main person I met with, but quite often emails would come from whoever was on staff, even if I never met them before. They would try to be detailed and when they would send emails missing information, I would have to ask for clarification, and they would send it. This part was frustrating, just send an email with everything a patient would want to know.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Clean, beautiful, conveniently located, organized and modern. On-site lab. Cookies or banana bread with coffee and infused water for people waiting. I disliked how hard it was to consistently take my blood - multiple people fumbled this.Frequently caused pain that would last the rest of the day and into the next for the next draw. Only 2 people could consistently successfully find my veins. The 4th floor had an inexplicable air freshener that was so strong, it filled the elevators. It stung my eyes the first time I visited. The billing "cashier" is off putting and has a very disinterested and bored attitude, and is in the same room as the rest of the people waiting their turn to make their dreams come true. They need to change that. The wake up after egg retrieval was so harsh - the chair kept falling backwards and I was jolted awake from the anesthetic. Not cozy or warm and the person dealing with me seemed to hate her job and made me sign something when barely cognizant. No doctor or nurse to talk to you afterwards to help you feel any dignity. I left with blood on my hand left from the anesthesiologist and just feeling incised. Instead of heading home to relax and recuperate, I asked for a meeting with the client care coordinator and submitted my complaints. The good is that they do care about their client experience and want to grow and expand. So they seemed interested in how they could do better.
The 3rd floor monitoring experience was nice. There was a screen for the 4th floor appointments with people's names coming up that were not in the room. Not sure why that was there. There was coffee, tea, water and snack. It was quiet and intimate and not as perfumed as the 4th floor. The upstairs monitoring is sometimes standing room only and a well oiled machine. But still can mean a wait for over an hour some days.
For the first egg retrieval we were covered by insurance. The second time, our plan had changed and it was out of network. 2750 for egg retrieval and fertilization (ICSI). 550 for anesthetic. 750 for NICS PGS testing (which includes free ICSI) and 1200 for freezing...some additional costs as well.
We didn't get to that phase.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Makarov was so patient and took as much time with us as needed. I know that some other doctors in the practice do not always see their patients, but she saw us each time, unless she was on vacation or out of the office which was very rare. She answered every question we had and was always friendly. ...r Makarov's preference was for us to transfer a single embryo, as she felt there was more risk with multiples.
side from the great care that I received, It was always so clean, and well organized. Karen at the front desk was always so warm and sweet. I never experienced any doctor or staff member to be rude or nasty. ... It [monitoring appointments] was a very easy and straightforward process. ...Oksana and Joanna were my primary nurses and they were so helpful when in explaining next steps and answered any questions that I have.
Dr Makarov was kind and compassionate and always helped put our minds at ease, even when we got negative results, we moved onto the next step and she assured us that we would get pregnant. We fully trusted her judgement and treatment.
Make sure to ask all of your questions and ask her to be honest with you--she will be and will answer any question you have.
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Hope Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Oksana Marchuk)
Oksana and Joanna were my primary nurses and they were so helpful when in explaining next steps and answered any questions that I have. They were always so knowledgable, kind and compassionate.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Overall, I was very happy with the clinic. Aside from the great care that I received, It was always so clean, and well organized. Karen at the front desk was always so warm and sweet. I never experienced any doctor or staff member to be rude or nasty. Of course when you are going so often for monitoring and treatments, you may have a bad experience at some point but that's normal.
I would go between 8-9am on the day that they would tell me to come in. I would check in, and then wait for blood work and monitoring. Some days would take longer than others, but it really just depended on the day and the amount of people that were there. It was a very easy and straightforward process.
It's expensive. No way around it, but if you're insurance doesn't cover IUIs and IVF, it's expensive. The costs at NHFC seem to be comparable to that of other clinics in NYC.
Dr Makarov's preference was for us to transfer a single embryo, as she felt there was more risk with multiples.
+ Read more- Read less

[Dr. Makarov] Seemed in a rush to get us to IVF and wanted us to fail everything until that point. Ignored my issues with a short luteal phase; always too busy to answer questions. Would leave us waiting in a room only to later find out she forgot all about us and our appointment was over... We did an IUI without an medication and then one with. We paid out of pocket. She wanted us to fail so we would move on to IVF. They never diagnosed us with anything.
The worst finance department I’ve ever encountered. Very unorganized and unprofessional. Also the lab messed up our charts. It was a terrible experience and I’d never recommend New Hope to anyone. I was so distraught after this experience that I had to take a break from trying to get pregnant... [Dr. Makarov] Seemed in a rush to get us to IVF and wanted us to fail everything until that point. Ignored my issues with a short luteal phase;
Don’t leave the room until you have all your questions answered. Request some medicated cycles first, especially if your insurance doesn’t cover IUI
Mixed up our blood work. Didn’t seem to understand my history
It was ridiculous! We did an IUI without an medication and then one with. We paid out of pocket. She wanted us to fail so we would move on to IVF. They never diagnosed us with anything.
Lots of people, they never spoke to us unless it was to tell us to hurry to the next room
IUIs were $800

2019 - 2020
It's hard to assess the doctor [Dr. Jennifer Kulp Makarov] because so many things have gone wrong but it's unclear if they were her fault or caused by bad communication and poor planning by the practice. There have been times where we've felt jerked around, unprepared, and misled. Throughout it all she has been kind and caring but our confidence has eroded...You have to be your own advocate. They routinely give contradictory information, give you urgent instructions to take medication they haven't bothered to prescribe, and leave you teetering on the brink of messing up each cycle.
It was totally unpredictable whether you'd wait for 10 minutes or 30 [at New Hope Fertility Center]...You have to be your own advocate. They routinely give contradictory information, give you urgent instructions to take medication they haven't bothered to prescribe, and leave you teetering on the brink of messing up each cycle...It's hard to assess the doctor because so many things have gone wrong but it's unclear if they were her fault or caused by bad communication and poor planning by the practice. There have been times where we've felt jerked around, unprepared, and misled. Throughout it all she has been kind and caring but our confidence has eroded.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
It was totally unpredictable whether you'd wait for 10 minutes or 30.
+ Read more- Read less
Dr. Makarov was very knowledgeable and professional during my entire process. I trusted her and I got the results I wanted on the first try! I’m very satisfied. I would recommend her to anyone who is interested in doing the iv... The nurses and staff [New Hope Fertility] were very helpful. Always there to assist in any questions or issues. They were very kind and knowledgeable.
The nurses and staff [New Hope Fertility] were very helpful. Always there to assist in any questions or issues. They were very kind and knowledgeable.... Clinic is very clean. Staff are very knowledgeable and helpful. They are equipped with everything you need. The hours of operation work perfect with my work schedule. The medication I was able to get right at the office.
The nurses and staff were very helpful. Always there to assist in any questions or issues. They were very kind and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The grant was very helpful. I would not have been able to proceed without it.

2020
3 IUI, IVF
single embryo transfer [with Dr. Jennifer Kulp Makarov]...She is very friendly and always shows up with energetic smile. She is so humble and knows her patients...her strength: Shes precise, knowledgeable , very skilled , very friendly, humble, and so passionate about her job. She obviously knows her work and knows what she is doing. She is so quick to give details and handle the patient. She is never hesitant!...she used mini IVF treatment with minimum medications
It [New Hope Fertility Center] is very nice and welcoming clinic. It is so clean and set to have patients feel relaxed and comfortable. I like that they have easy to reach location with a nice view. They are in a very quiet and nice neighborhood...used mini IVF treatment with minimum medications...very organized, friendly and humble [nursing staff]...single embryo transfer [with Dr. Jennifer Kulp Makarov]...She is very friendly and always shows up with energetic smile. She is so humble a
2020
3 IUI, IVF
To keep up the good job she is doing!
she used mini IVF treatment with minimum medications
very organized, friendly and humble
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
It is very nice and welcoming clinic. It is so clean and set to have patients feel relaxed and comfortable. I like that they have easy to reach location with a nice view. They are in a very quiet and nice neighborhood
it was normal costs