6.1

Johns Hopkins
Yale

Jennifer Kulp Makarov works at

4 Columbus Circle

She [Dr. Makarov] never explained why did anything. First cycle started with pills, and didn’t have shots til the end. Resulted in 3 eggs. Next she started with pills and shots. Resulted in 13 eggs. Next round she did pills and 1/2 the amount of shots. Results 8 eggs. Never discussed why the change. Finally after the third round I asked her why she thought we were getting numerous eggs but no normal ones. Her response was she basically didn’t know. It felt like she just hadn’t thought about it.
They [New Hope] almost had me cancel a cycle because on my retrieval day they had a mistake in their system saying we owed money. We didn’t, we paid the full amount the day before. They were causally looking into it until I insisted that I get my sonogram so they can do my retrieval. One tech said sorry, if you haven’t paid we can’t do anything. She was so rude. Especially because we did pay. They never apologized.
How was your experience with Jennifer Kulp Makarov at New Hope Fertility Center?
What I says before. She was nice, but not very invested in our success. When we came for the follow up after retrieving the eggs and them being abnormal she hadn’t even looked at the results until we were in her office.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Kulp Makarov at New Hope Fertility Center?
Keep on top of everything. Make sure they are giving you the proper information and that you get it on time.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Kulp Makarov at New Hope Fertility Center?
You only spoke to her when you were there. She seemed very h concerned with the results. We have 13 eggs retrieved in our first cycle using the shots. None of them came back normal. She never addressed that, it was just onto the next cycle with no discussion. She was nice when you were in the office why her, but felt very detached from our success
Describe the protocols Jennifer Kulp Makarov used in your cycles at New Hope Fertility Center and their degree of success.
She never explained why did anything. First cycle started with pills, and didn’t have shots til the end. Resulted in 3 eggs. Next she started with pills and shots. Resulted in 13 eggs. Next round she did pills and 1/2 the amount of shots. Results 8 eggs. Never discussed why the change. Finally after the third round I asked her why she thought we were getting numerous eggs but no normal ones. Her response was she basically didn’t know. It felt like she just hadn’t thought about it.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The ones they took your blood were very nice. They had the most compassion out of any at New Hope.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
You are a number. Especially if you are upstairs. The receptionists do not care that this is one of the most sensitive things someone could go through. The actual office is lovely. You must keep on top of them and insist on the treatment that you want. If you call and want to speak with a doctor they will tell you it’s not possible. You have to insist and make a scene. They almost had me cancel a cycle because on my retrieval day they had a mistake in their system saying we owed money. We didn’t, we paid the full amount the day before. They were causally looking into it until I insisted that I get my sonogram so they can do my retrieval. One tech said sorry, if you haven’t paid we can’t do anything. She was so rude. Especially because we did pay. They never apologized.
This was actually great. You had a large window and rarely a long wait time. The Dr did most of the sonograms, if she was there. She only came in 3 days a week. In 3 retrieval she never did ours
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Kulp Makarov at New Hope Fertility Center.
It’s was about $6000 plus medication. This was only retrieval. We never got to transfer.
Describe Jennifer Kulp Makarov's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Hope Fertility Center.
They prefer single
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
They were just disorganized. They would wait to tell you what you needed even if it required you to go to a pharmacy. Ine time they never emailed me with directions. They often didn’t call in prescriptions but the pharmacy thankfully knew us and knew it was a mistake and would give us the prescription.
New Hope Fertility Center

Dr. Makarov is very nice and she helped me understand how the whole IVF journey would go as it was my first time. She encouraged us to switch our insurance company so that we could have more IVF cycles for the new year which we didn't realize was an option. A lot of times I felt a little lost as to what the big picture plan would be which I guess can be the nature of IVF...You may be someone who won't need too much meds/stimulation to be successful but if you're like me (DOR), you may need more and I wish I would have figured this out earlier and started somewhere else.
They [New Hope Fertility Center staff] get you in and out very quickly and the whole place is a very well-oiled machine. The Billing department is very on top of it and good at explaining the costs etc. The clinic itself is very conveniently located and has great hours for monitoring. Again, understand their specialty which is 'natural and mini IVF'...Monitoring was any time from 7am-2pm during the week and 7-12pm on the weekends. There were a lot of different ultrasound technicians that would perform ultrasounds when the doctor was too busy or wasn't in (on the weekends)
Understand that NHFC is a very very busy clinic that specializes in 'natural IVF'. You may be someone who won't need too much meds/stimulation to be successful but if you're like me (DOR), you may need more and I wish I would have figured this out earlier and started somewhere else.
The clinic is super busy and it was hard to get a chance to talk to her even though she was doing my ultrasounds almost every day. She is very nice and happy to explain things but super busy.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
The nurses were really nice and caring. Sometimes I wasn't sure if they seemed to remember me and my specific needs/issues which I know is hard because they must have so many patients that they are caring for at one time.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
They get you in and out very quickly and the whole place is a very well-oiled machine. The Billing department is very on top of it and good at explaining the costs etc. The clinic itself is very conveniently located and has great hours for monitoring. Again, understand their specialty which is 'natural and mini IVF'. They offer regular IVF but didn't start there for me and maybe they should have.
Monitoring was any time from 7am-2pm during the week and 7-12pm on the weekends. There were a lot of different ultrasound technicians that would perform ultrasounds when the doctor was too busy or wasn't in (on the weekends). The clinic seemed to hire a bunch of new technicians when I was going there and it just felt like so many different people were caring for you that I would worry info would be lost among all of these moving parts.
New Hope Fertility Center

[Dr. Makarov] Seemed in a rush to get us to IVF and wanted us to fail everything until that point. Ignored my issues with a short luteal phase; always too busy to answer questions. Would leave us waiting in a room only to later find out she forgot all about us and our appointment was over... We did an IUI without an medication and then one with. We paid out of pocket. She wanted us to fail so we would move on to IVF. They never diagnosed us with anything.
The worst finance department I’ve ever encountered. Very unorganized and unprofessional. Also the lab messed up our charts. It was a terrible experience and I’d never recommend New Hope to anyone. I was so distraught after this experience that I had to take a break from trying to get pregnant... [Dr. Makarov] Seemed in a rush to get us to IVF and wanted us to fail everything until that point. Ignored my issues with a short luteal phase;
Don’t leave the room until you have all your questions answered. Request some medicated cycles first, especially if your insurance doesn’t cover IUI
Mixed up our blood work. Didn’t seem to understand my history
It was ridiculous! We did an IUI without an medication and then one with. We paid out of pocket. She wanted us to fail so we would move on to IVF. They never diagnosed us with anything.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at New Hope Fertility Center.
Lots of people, they never spoke to us unless it was to tell us to hurry to the next room
IUIs were $800
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
They messed up at every step
New Hope Fertility Center

She [Dr. Makarov] was nice, but I always felt I was bothering her by asking questions because she looked so exhausted and doesn't seem very invested in my success. I was given minimum information and always felt insecure with my very first fertility treatment. After I moved to another clinic I realized she was not a good doctor for me to work with...
They [nurse of New Hope Fertility Center] made me go through blood test and ultrasound when I didn't need them, because I wasn't on my cycle. I asked them several times to make sure if I had to take the blood out and pay for it, as one of the nurses said I didn't need to, but they made me go through it anyway and billed me later. What was worse was that they lost the sample and I didn't hear back the result. I hope it didn't get misplaced by someone else's.
She was nice, but I always felt I was bothering her by asking questions because she looked so exhausted and doesn't seem very invested in my success. I was given minimum information and always felt insecure with my very first fertility treatment. After I moved to another clinic I realized she was not a good doctor for me to work with.
She will give you minimum information so be ready to become your own advocate and do your research to ask questions
She didn't seem very invested in patients' success. She always looked tired.
IUI with clomid
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Hope Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Oksana)
She was a sweet person, but the operation was a mess.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
They have many options of IVF but I'm not sure if that was really for us patients. They might just want us to spend money. You don't have any privacy as your name is displayed on the big TV monitors on the wall.
IUI was for 2000 and my insurance didn't cover any of it. There was unexpected bills to given on the day of procedure as a surprise. I really don't recommend this clinic.
Not sure.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at New Hope Fertility Center.
They made me go through blood test and ultrasound when I didn't need them, because I wasn't on my cycle. I asked them several times to make sure if I had to take the blood out and pay for it, as one of the nurses said I didn't need to, but they made me go through it anyway and billed me later. What was worse was that they lost the sample and I didn't hear back the result. I hope it didn't get misplaced by someone else's.
New Hope Fertility Center
It's hard to assess the doctor [Dr. Jennifer Kulp Makarov] because so many things have gone wrong but it's unclear if they were her fault or caused by bad communication and poor planning by the practice. There have been times where we've felt jerked around, unprepared, and misled. Throughout it all she has been kind and caring but our confidence has eroded...You have to be your own advocate. They routinely give contradictory information, give you urgent instructions to take medication they haven't bothered to prescribe, and leave you teetering on the brink of messing up each cycle.
It was totally unpredictable whether you'd wait for 10 minutes or 30 [at New Hope Fertility Center]...You have to be your own advocate. They routinely give contradictory information, give you urgent instructions to take medication they haven't bothered to prescribe, and leave you teetering on the brink of messing up each cycle...It's hard to assess the doctor because so many things have gone wrong but it's unclear if they were her fault or caused by bad communication and poor planning by the practice. There have been times where we've felt jerked around, unprepared, and misled. Throughout it all she has been kind and caring but our confidence has eroded.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
It was totally unpredictable whether you'd wait for 10 minutes or 30.