UNC Fertility

Doctor, Nurse available by emailNurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolU. of Pittsburgh
ResidencyNorthwestern
FellowshipUCSF
7920 ACC Bld
Raleigh, NC 27617
919-908-0000
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Jennifer Mersereau to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend UNC Fertility to a friend?
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
I appreciate [Dr. Mersereau's] frank take on options with fertility. It was nice that she didn’t send us down a rabbit hole with “other” stuff to try (supplements, wives tales, natural remedies). She sticks to protocol using studies and her own experience to draw from...Don’t expect her to throw the kitchen sink at your treatment. She feels very calculated and thoughtful in her approach. And she doesn’t want to make her patients do a bunch of unnecessary stuff.
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
I appreciate Dr M’s frank take on options with fertility. It was nice that she didn’t send us down a rabbit hole with “other” stuff to try (supplements, wives tales, natural remedies). She sticks to protocol using studies and her own experience to draw from. For me that was freeing because I would beat myself up on natural fertility enhancers or habits that worked for other women but not me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
We met with Dr M multiple times and she always showed care of us. We never felt like she disregarded our worry or anxiety.
Describe the protocols Jennifer Mersereau used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
One of the things we looked at was doing a natural cycle for transfer. I so much appreciate that we continued to look for options to build on what my body can do on it’s own even if my eggs were not great quality.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
Kim rocked. We could call, Email, message her through their patient portal. She made herself extremely accessible and even helped us find cheaper prescriptions when ordering our medications. I can’t say enough positive things about her. Super caring, empathetic and compassionate. She clearly loves what she does and is really good at it.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Strengths: facility is great. Business staff are fairly knowledgeable. Weaknesses: it can be challenging to get in touch with their financial folks. Not impossible but they might be harder than the IVF nurse coordinator.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility.
It was mostly one amount and everything was covered. The only separate things were medications, refrigeration costs, and anesthesia.
Describe Jennifer Mersereau's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
For the first transfer she wanted to do 1 because if I was to get pregnant we picked the best, most mature embryo (my others were Day 3). The second transfer we used the 2 remaining embryos. I feel like her advice made sense for us.
Raleigh
My wife and I worked predominantly with Dr. Jennifer Mersereau's team. They were caring and sincere, however, we did feel that they weren't willing to explore options such as double IUI in a cycle or InvoCell. Her team responded fairly quickly to messages. ... After approx 6 months of orals, we attempted IUI with femara twice, once with a trigger shot. The 3rd IUI we used femara with a trigger shot (ovidrel) before IUI then pregnyl afterwards followed by vaginal suppositories of progesterone. Unfortunately all with no success.
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
My wife and I worked predominantly with Dr. Jennifer Mersereau's team. They were caring and sincere, however, we did feel that they weren't willing to explore options such as double IUI in a cycle or InvoCell. Her team responded fairly quickly to messages. We worked with Dr. Jennifer Mersereau once for an US and she was very quick in and out of the room. At times we felt like we were asking questions to try and keep her in the room to explain further.
Come in with your questions on paper and be prepared. Be sure to give your entire story in a succinct manner including what meds you've taken, menstrual cycle regularities, family/social history, and other pertinent information. This will allow you to maximize your visit.
Dr. Jennifer Mersereau's team was helpful and caring. They listened and asked questions to make sure they understood the care and treatment we were hoping for.
Tried multiple cycles of moderate and then high dose clomid by itself for approximately 3 cycles. Once we found out my wife wasn't producing the expected number of follicles, we switch to Femara for 3+ cycles. This showed some improvements but we never fully were sure if we had 2 follicles. It showed at least one on US but they suspected the second to be large enough to mature. After approx 6 months of orals, we attempted IUI with femara twice, once with a trigger shot. The 3rd IUI we used femara with a trigger shot (ovidrel) before IUI then pregnyl afterwards followed by vaginal suppositories of progesterone. Unfortunately all with no success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mindi)
The staff was cordial and professional, however there was some mix up on when to take the Ovidrel injection. The doc told us 36hrs prior to IUI but when my wife called to confirm the nurse gave us a different time. We said 36hrs to the nurse and she said 48hrs. This caused quite a bit of stress on my wifes behalf which is what we wanted to avoid prior to another IUI. We ultimately did get in contact with the doctor through another nurse and injected appropriately.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Very welcoming, clean, professional. I like that it was on the 3rd floor which allowed privacy. There is some miscommunication with the financial department and I would be vigilant with your information and payments. Twice we received a bill in the mail after we had already paid in full for the "all inclusive" procedure. They corrected this after we showed them the paid balance.
There were questionable charges after we had paid for procedures in full. I would encourage you to keep a folder and follow closely. The appointments were different charges each time and our insurance didn't really cover much.
none. We didn't get this far.
Raleigh
At times it felt like [Dr. Mersereau's] time was short, go into appointments prepared with questions. I loved that she took notes of the conversation for you and let you take them home with you...We tried 3 IUI’s, partially because that is what our insurance covered and partially because Dr. M said if IUi was going to work, it would work within 4 tries. After that we moved in to IVF...took the time to explain the process, our diagnosis and our treatment plan. She was patient when we had questions and put us at ease when we were anxious. She was warm and broke things down into language we could understand.
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
I loved Dr. M, she was so friendly to my husband and I. We felt she really took the time to make sure we understood our diagnosis and treatment plan. She made me feel comfortable and helped calm my anxiety. I would go into appointments scared of the outcome or the next step and she always made me feel better and confident that I would become pregnant.
At times it felt like her time was short, go into appointments prepared with questions. I loved that she took notes of the conversation for you and let you take them home with you.
Dr. M took the time to explain the process, our diagnosis and our treatment plan. She was patient when we had questions and put us at ease when we were anxious. She was warm and broke things down into language we could understand.
We tried 3 IUI’s, partially because that is what our insurance covered and partially because Dr. M said if IUi was going to work, it would work within 4 tries. After that we moved in to IVF which upped our chance from 8-11% for an IUI to 60% for IVF!
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
Wendy was amazing, she was blunt but so caring. She knew I was nervous to start injections and offered to facetime with me through my first injection. She literally made herself available to me anytime on or off the clock including nights, weekends and while on vacations. I would email her a non urgent question over the weekend and would have a response within an hour. I started to hold my nonurgent questions until the week because she wa so dedicated. When we took a blood test to determine if we were pregnant, she called us over the weekend when she was not working because she wanted to be the one to deliver us the good news. She would always provide me with all the necessary information, including any negative side effects I might expect and the chances that I would experience them. She was the most amazing nurse, ever.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
No one wants to go to a fertility clinic, the waiting room made me sad to see so many couples of varying ages there for the same reason. Everyone from the front desk, to the finance department, nurses and doctors were so nice, professional and compassionate. I was surprised when we started going that the staff knew so many patients by first name. By the end of our IVF cycle, they knew my name too. When we “graduated” I was sad to leave their care. If they could be my regular OBGYN I would go to them in a heartbeat. The patient rooms are comfortable and nice. The doctors meet with you in their office. Overall, they make you feel as comfortable as you can during one of the hardest times of your life.
We were forunate that insurance covered most of our medication with just a copay. IVF cost approximately $12,000
Raleigh
A lot of the doctors we saw, read the word balanced translocation and gave up on us. Dr. M [Dr. Jennifer Mersereau] spent lots of time going over our numbers and percentages, I felt like she was actually interested and cared about understanding our chromosome imbalance.... She went over our odds on IVF thoroughly. Because of our balanced translocation, we would benefit through PGD/PGS testing. This would reduce our risk of miscarriage from 48% to 5%. Even after a miscarriage when I told her I wanted to try one more time naturally, she was supportive of our decision and didn't pressure us into IVF.
European, Ashkenazi Jewish, Latino
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
She went over our odds on IVF thoroughly. Because of our balanced translocation, we would benefit through PGD/PGS testing. This would reduce our risk of miscarriage from 48% to 5%. Even after a miscarriage when I told her I wanted to try one more time naturally, she was supportive of our decision and didn't pressure us into IVF. After my 4th miscarriage, we decided to hang in the towel and start IVF this month. Since we gave her the green light she's been very supportive. She's called me several times to make sure I'm aware of the next steps and procedures.
We've had a rocky road of miscarriages, molar pregnancies and chemical pregnancies. A molar pregnancy missed due to the Doctor's lack of follow up and reading of the pathology report after my first D&C. Through this process, I have been to several doctors all over the triangle, 3 gynos, 2 specialists and 2 IVF doctors. UNC fertility has been the most responsive and caring clinic I've been to so far. They actually care about you and your specific situation. I had one doctor that basically told us to go straight to a sperm donor, which was frustrating because we understood our odds and we knew there was a chance for us to conceive using our sperm and egg. A lot of the doctors we saw, read the word balanced translocation and gave up on us. Dr. M spent lots of time going over our numbers and percentages, I felt like she was actually interested and cared about understanding our chromosome imbalance.
We used clomid for two cycles, one cycle ended in a Chemical pregnancy. I've just started the IVF process and will be going in next Friday for my first injection.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kimberly Briley)
Like I said we are just now starting IVF next week. As soon as I gave them the green light, I received an email with a detailed schedule on injections and procedures. She was very informative.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Everyone is very friendly and you feel like they are cheering you on. They remember you as well, which I appreciate.
Most of my appointments prior to IVF were covered by insurance. The IVF process we were told it would be around 25,000- 30,000 depending on which medications will be covered and the final pricing from Genesis for PGD/PGS
Dr. Mersereau encourages only 1 embryo transfer. They've had a great success rate on 1. She explained that 2 embryos can lead to twins or even quadruplets which can be dangerous/ high risk pregnancies.
Raleigh
Be ready for her [Dr. Mersereau] to put everything into action. She is no fuss but cares greatly...She was the first doctor to explain things to us in ways we could understand and not just go for all the technical verbage...Dr. M was willing to work with us exploring all options available instead of just saying it wouldn't work and going straight to IVF...We did 3 medicated cycles under direction using Femara. The first cycle the IUI wasn't able to happen. The last two cycles the IUI happened but both resulted in negatives. She is trying that approach because I asked about it. With one blocked tube and unexplained diagnosis, I don't want to leave any option unused.
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
She explained things in great detail but was also ready to get down to business. Dr. M was willing to work with us exploring all options available instead of just saying it wouldn't work and going straight to IVF.
Be ready for her to put everything into action. She is no fuss but cares greatly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mindy)
Mindy and Wendy have been amazing to work with! They have answered every one of my questions no matter what I have asked with such ease and person-ability. I feel like I am talking to a friend when I send in an emailed question versus talking to yet another clinician.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
What I love about the clinic is that no matter how much time has elapsed between appointments they remember who you are and a little about your background. As for weaknesses, sometimes its hard to schedule an appointment when its most convenient but they are willing to work hard with your schedule.
I had a copay for visits with her. Then each IUI cycle there is a $600 fee that includes all labs, ultrasounds, and the SAs my husband had to do.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Dr. Mersereau was so invested in helping us start a family. She cried with me when we heard my baby's heartbeat for the first time and cheered us on every time we had another great appointment and ultrasound. She made us feel so comfortable. I still send her updates on my son now and he's 10 months old.... I had to have a number of different tests done to help determine why I was having recurrent losses. She found I was pre-diabetic and also had adhesions in my uterus from the miscarriages. I followed a very strict diet and exercise plan and prepped for surgery to remove the adhesions.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
Trust that she will do everything she can to make your dream of becoming a parent a reality.
She cared about finding the problem to my recurrent miscarriages and figuring out how to prevent future pregnancies from being lost. She was very nice, genuine and informative.
I had to have a number of different tests done to help determine why I was having recurrent losses. She found I was pre-diabetic and also had adhesions in my uterus from the miscarriages. I followed a very strict diet and exercise plan and prepped for surgery to remove the adhesions. She took very good care of me and a month after my recovery, I was able to get pregnant and carry my son to 35 weeks.
The nurses were always so compassionate and nice. They always made me feel comfortable.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The staff is great and the clinic is very clean. They make dealing with billing easy too -whether that's through insurance or not. Sometimes the waiting could be full so wait time could sometimes feel long but they have complimentary beverages and a TV to keep you occupied while you wait.
Raleigh
She [Dr. Merereau] is excellent and professional. She listened and gave good feedback. She gave realistic expectations and was compassionate when I had a miscarriage. I am not sure she was aware of the miscommunication that was going on in the clinic between patients and staff...Maybe if I made follow up visits with her I wouldn't have had so many miscommunications with the staff...Dr. M is great.
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
She is excellent and professional. She listened and gave good feedback. She gave realistic expectations and was compassionate when I had a miscarriage. I am not sure she was aware of the miscommunication that was going on in the clinic between patients and staff.
Dr. M is great. The problem was with the staff and communication.
IUI with clomid, monitored at home with UPT (clearblue) x 3. one resulted in miscarriage at 6w.
They had different information and instructions depending on the nurse and the day I called. I felt like it took a long time to get a clear response.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The office needs to have a stronger organizational structure in order for me to recommend anyone to come to this clinic. I could have come at a bad time (changing of administration). I had a botched IUI and twice they said I never called to schedule my IUI (notifying of period), even though I called and talked to the nurse who had to get my clomid prescribed. They did an IUI even though it was clear I had already ovulated. I felt like they were just trying to make money and that was frusterating.
my insurance covered some of it, but they made me pay before all my services in full and i felt like thats all they cared about.
Raleigh
She [Dr Mersereau] was very direct and to the point, but did it in a way that was warm and not condescending. She explained every aspect of treatment, and was very conservative in how she approached our situation. So each step was gentle and not overly aggressive/invasive. I walked out of each appointment feeling confident we were going to get our baby.
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
She was very direct and to the point, but did it in a way that was warm and not condescending. She explained every aspect of treatment, and was very conservative in how she approached our situation. So each step was gentle and not overly aggressive/invasive. I walked out of each appointment feeling confident we were going to get our baby.
Trust her instincts. I was very well informed and wanted to jump the gun with treatments and testing. She kindly shut all of that down and helped me slow down. We ended up pregnant after three cycles.
I had a history of PCOS, irregular cycles and anovulation. We started with 5mg of letrozole on CD3-5, then I had an ultrasound to check follicle growth and then we were asked to have timed intercourse. She wanted to try this protocol for 3-6 cycles to give us an equal chance at ovulation/conception as any other fertile couple (20%).
Wendy and Kim were the nurses I worked with most closely. They heard me cry over the phone a couple of times and they were so incredibly compassionate. They talked me through my questions and never seemed rushed or like they didn't care. Priscilla was magical at drawing blood.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Modern, calm, organized, clean.
We just paid for genetic testing, medicine costs and a specialist copay at each visit. Everything else was billed through insurance.
Raleigh
I didn't feel like I was at a doctor's office. It felt like I was talking to a friend. She [Dr. Jennifer Mersereau] never rushed us, never gave us clinical mumbo jumbo, but completely explained every step of the process. Made us feel hopeful again.... Everyone we met at UNC was great. Everyone was kind and communication was great. They explained finances to us in detail.
How was your experience with Jennifer Mersereau at UNC Fertility?
I didn't feel like I was at a doctor's office. It felt like I was talking to a friend. She never rushed us, never gave us clinical mumbo jumbo, but completely explained every step of the process. Made us feel hopeful again.
Go! Don't wait!
I never felt rushed. She took the time to calm our nerves and explain every single step of the process with us. She was always available for comments and questions
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kimberly)
I really can't even begin to explain how amazing Kimberly was. She was so responsive to emails and always gave me quick, accurate information. She made me feel in control and knowledgeable at the same time. She even communicated with me after hours - who does that!!!