6.1

UCSF

Jennifer Ratcliffe works at

1111 Sonoma Avenue
Santa Rosa, CA 95405

Dr Ratcliffe strengths are that she is very knowledgeable in IVF and current advancements in IVF procedures. Her weakness would be that she is not very personable. Her interaction might come off as cold, rude or uncaring. I asked her a question and she directed me to the IVF coordinator and said that’s her department. I would like to think that the head Doctor could answer all questions involved...We went straight to injectables and IVF. I had 3 failed IUI with kaiser and based on my age, I wanted to go straight to IVF. Dr Ratcliffe agreed. I don’t remember specific names of the shots, but we started with small needles in the tummy while on birth control then went to the big needles in the butt cheeks. After transfer, had vaginal progesterone.
IVF coordinator [at Advanced Fertility Associates] created a personalized calendar that scheduled all procedures...The coordinator was very organized. There was a lot of information and we felt that understood most of it...$11,500 for IVF ...$4500 for IVF Medication...$800 for more meds after positive pregnancy...Clinic could use some updating. Felt like we were walking into an office from the 70’s...I really liked that the clinic didn’t feel over booked. It felt very one one most of the time. It was nice not sitting awkwardly in a waiting room with a dozen other couples like Kaiser.
How was your experience with Jennifer Ratcliffe at Advanced Fertility Associates?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Ratcliffe at Advanced Fertility Associates?
Be prepared for her non-personable demeanor. Her staff, tends to make up for it and are very nice. Being a smaller clinic, I had less concern of a possible mixup with someone else’s embryos.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Ratcliffe at Advanced Fertility Associates?
Her IVF coordinator created a personalized calendar that scheduled all procedures.
Describe the protocols Jennifer Ratcliffe used in your cycles at Advanced Fertility Associates and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: Bonnie Day)
The coordinator was very organized. There was a lot of information and we felt that understood most of it. We had a question and she was on vacation so we messed up on our birth control pills and had to start the process over 3 weeks in. I felt that the instructions on the calendar weren’t clear. The were clearly worded elsewhere in the large information pamphlet, but as soon as we started we pretty much used the calendar for all of our moves. There could’ve been some sort of reference on the caldera to the pamphlet page that addressed any questions. Having to jump around for information got confusing and no one to answer a direct question (being on vacation with no backup) was annoying.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Associates.
Clinic could use some updating. Felt like we were walking into an office from the 70’s. Connecting with your doctor is important. That might not happen right away with Dr Ratcliffe. She has a dry sense of humor and it might not be welcome in such a delicate situation for most people. Her coordinator really helps make up that connection. Bonnie is very caring and understanding. I really liked that the clinic didn’t feel over booked. It felt very one one most of the time. It was nice not sitting awkwardly in a waiting room with a dozen other couples like Kaiser.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Ratcliffe at Advanced Fertility Associates.
$11,500 for IVF $4500 for IVF Medication $800 for more meds after positive pregnancy.
Describe Jennifer Ratcliffe's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Advanced Fertility Associates.
Of the 4 embryos, only 1 looked like it was solid. The other three looked like they were falling apart. Doctor decide to transfer all 4 assuming the 3 wouldn’t amount to anything, but, just in case. She was correct and we had a singleton pregnancy.
Santa Rosa
Dr Ratcliffe is very matter of fact and blunt. I loved this about her. I can see where someone that prefers a warmer bedside manner would hate her. I felt like all of my questions and concerns were answered matter of factly.... Dr Ratcliffe was very thorough in her explanation of the embryo attaching to the uterus. In the interview process prior to selecting me for a surrogate She was very clear about the possible emotions I might go through and my rights as a surrogate.
I didn't have a lot of interaction with the clinic. Mainly Bonnie and Dr Ratcliffe. The clinic [Advanced Fertility Associates] is clean and has a warm feel in the lobby. The transfer room is low lit for relaxation, it feels more like an upscale massage place than a Drs office.... Bonnie was excellent! She was my first experience with surrogacy. She "held my hand" through the whole process. She sent me my medicine calendar, was available almost always, very warm and loving, set expectations. Followed through with everything that needed following through on.
Dr Ratcliffe was very thorough in her explanation of the embryo attaching to the uterus. In the interview process prior to selecting me for a surrogate She was very clear about the possible emotions I might go through and my rights as a surrogate. I thought that was very nice of her to do that. She communicated what she was doing during the embryo transfer. She was funny but may seem brisk.
If you are a very emotional person and need any emotional connection to the doctor, I don't recommend Dr Ratcliffe!
folic acid, vitamin d, estradiol, lupron, progesterone, a muscle relaxer the day off transfer, baby Tylenol.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Associates.
I didn't have a lot of interaction with the clinic. Mainly Bonnie and Dr Ratcliffe. The clinic is clean and has a warm feel in the lobby. The transfer room is low lit for relaxation, it feels more like an upscale massage place than a Drs office.
It was paid by the intended parents
It felt like Dr Ratcliffe left the choice up to the intended parents and I.

2014 - 2015, Unknown Success
I think we ended up spending around 10,000 including all the meds for a full cycle. For the frozen cycle it was around 5,000...I loved the nursing staff!! They were all so great. Really nice and sensitive to your situation...Jennifer Ratcliffe is a very good doctor. She is smart and knows what she is doing and is good at it. But, she's not the nicest and does not have good bedside manner. I left appointments with her many times in tears. I was seeing another Fertility doctor but moved away so needed to see her. She talked bad about everything my prior doctor had done for me. She is very cocky and is rude to her staff. Many times I felt uncomfortable being in the room and hearing how she treated her staff. I would go to her again because she did get me pregnant but I just have to try and ignore her personality and not let her get to me.
Don't expect her to be sympathetic at all to you and what you are going through. She is a good doctor and knows what she is doing.
She is known to not be the nicest and she does not have good bedside manner. She talked bad about the doctor I was seeing before.
I have PCOS and I usually produce way too many eggs and they aren't very good quality. She decided to lower my dose of meds to try and not make so many follicles. She wanted less so that hopefully the quality of the eggs would be better. I do think it was a good decision and I did produce the best quality eggs that I had ever done before.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Advanced Fertility Associates.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Associates.
I think that the clinic was okay. It wasn't super nice or anything but it was clean and comfortable.
I don't have a comment on this subject.