6.1

UCSF

Jennifer Ratcliffe works at

1111 Sonoma Avenue
Santa Rosa, CA 95405

She [Dr. Ratcliffe] did listen carefully when I was talking about medical problems and history. She did really study my charts and tests before and after my appointments and knew my health well. ... I like the fast appointments with the doctor and very little waiting room time. She thinks about all of her clients/patients in a medical sense and analyzes what they need to become pregnant but does not spend a whole lot of time with you. I
The clinic [AFA] is outdated but very comfortable and low lit. I feel like I'm at my grandma's house. There is a nice coffee and water dispenser with cookies in the waiting room and the front desk is quick to say hello and welcome you. It is a very warm feeling there and friendly. ... Bonnie was wonderful and explained things very well! She was always quick to respond to my many emails and clearly instructed me how to give myself injections. The injections were not all that bad because of Bonnie's careful instructions
How was your experience with Jennifer Ratcliffe at Advanced Fertility Associates?
I think Dr. Ratcliffe is a great doctor and is one of the few who keeps up on the current fertility medical research, which is more than a lot of doctors can say. I care more about getting pregnant than having someone listen to my infertility sadness. She did listen carefully when I was talking about medical problems and history. She did really study my charts and tests before and after my appointments and knew my health well. She is thorough, has a high success rate, and keeps costs very low compared to several other clinics we've seen. Her goal is to get you pregnant and she considers that a challenge. I like the fast appointments with the doctor and very little waiting room time. She thinks about all of her clients/patients in a medical sense and analyzes what they need to become pregnant but does not spend a whole lot of time with you. I appreciate that Dr. Ratcliffe found uterine scar tissue during my saline sonogram from past miscarriages and removed it without additional cost. This scar tissue was not seen by other doctors and was not removed after a D&C and ultrasound from another clinic. She spent a good deal of time after the saline sono explaining how this scar tissue could impede pregnancy. She even drew me a picture of it, even though I could see it on the big screen during treatment. Ultimately I think she can get me pregnant and we will keep trying. We used embryos that were slow freeze and only day 3. She said if I want to increase my chances of pregnancy, then we need to use embryos preserved with vitrification and that are 5 day old or use fresh eggs and sperm. She said, "Our clients come to us for a short period of time and then achieve the results they want and we don't usually see them again" (unless they want another). I think this is a great mantra when so many other fertility doctors just want your money and are happy to have you come back many times. The other doctors might empathize more with your infertility emotions, but I doubt they study your condition with all your medical testing and consider how to have success in a short time with a low cost. I read the reviews of how she was blunt and had poor bedside manner. We didn't see this behavior and my husband also thought she was great in spite of past bad reviews. My husband's only wish was that she would have explained how low our chances of pregnancy are with day 3 cleavage embryos from a slow freeze. I still don't think we would have done anything differently.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jennifer Ratcliffe at Advanced Fertility Associates?
Ultimately she will go with what you want. However, I would listen to what she suggests because it would have been better for us to go that direction. She has a PhD in addition to her MD and has done all of this before and researched it and seen it done before. I think she will get you pregnant faster than doing it your own way.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jennifer Ratcliffe at Advanced Fertility Associates?
She always listened to what we wanted and she advised us to transfer 3 embryos because they were only day 3 cleavage. There was no pressure from her and maybe there should have been more. We knew we couldn't handle triplets and we didn't want to take that chance and asked for only 2 embryos for the transfer. I did not get pregnant. I was sad about that but knew that she had advised us probably correctly the first time. Our 3rd embryo was discarded because it cannot be refrozen without risk of damage and it also had some significant fragmentation in the first place. Dr. Ratcliffe was very sorry about us not achieving the pregnancy and was very kind the day after the negative test result and then gave us other options.
Describe the protocols Jennifer Ratcliffe used in your cycles at Advanced Fertility Associates and their degree of success.
I had a saline sonogram with her where she removed a lot of scar tissue. I had a mammogram, pap smear, and blood tests for infectious diseases elsewhere. Her protocol then started out with 1.5/30 birth control, 81mg Aspirin, prescription B vitamins, prenatal vitamin, then Lupron, then estradiol injections, then progesterone injections, then Medrol, and Prometrium. There were 2 ultrasounds a couple weeks and one week before FET to check for the activity of the ovaries.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: Bonnie Day)
Bonnie was wonderful and explained things very well! She was always quick to respond to my many emails and clearly instructed me how to give myself injections. The injections were not all that bad because of Bonnie's careful instructions. I couldn't even find Youtube videos that were as good as Bonnie's instructions. Bonnie also made me helpful calendars and gave great us driving directions since Santa Rosa is somewhat off the main roads.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Associates.
The clinic is outdated but very comfortable and low lit. I feel like I'm at my grandma's house. There is a nice coffee and water dispenser with cookies in the waiting room and the front desk is quick to say hello and welcome you. It is a very warm feeling there and friendly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jennifer Ratcliffe at Advanced Fertility Associates.
We had an initial phone consult $240. We purchased embryos for $800. I had a saline sonogram $350. The medications from MDR $1,250. Then the embryo transfer cost of $4,250. The total was like $6,890 plus travel expenses. I had to visit the office three times and we live many hours away so needed a hotel room.
Describe Jennifer Ratcliffe's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Advanced Fertility Associates.
My doctor is correct in that more embryos should be transferred depending on their quality, how old the embryos are, and the means in which they were cryopreserved. I wish she would have explained her reasoning a little more in the beginning rather than so easily let us have our way. Single or double embryo transfer is NOT helpful when you are dealing with day 3 cleavage embryos. My embryos were graded good (7 cells, 0% frag) and fair (6 cells, 10% frag) and I still did not get pregnant.
Santa Rosa

[Dr. Jennifer Ratcliffe] is a knowledgeable Reproductive Specialist who got us pregnant on our first iui. Before her, we had eight IVFs with clomid or natural cycle with doctors in Europe and in SoCal and 3 miscarriages. She changed our treatment, as the clomid seems to work against you at a certain age (another doctor also confirmed it). She changed our protocol, and we were successful - I’m now 14 weeks along. S
[The staff at Advanced Fertility Associates] is well-verses in the ups and downs of fertility treatment. There were times that I was sure that my treatment failed, but they were really good in providing information on what could happen without giving me the sense of doom of a worst-case scenario that I often got with other doctors’ offices...There are two primary nurse coordinators, Natasha and Ashley. They are great.
We are very happy with our experience with Dr.Ratcliffe - she is a knowledgeable Reproductive Specialist who got us pregnant on our first iui. Before her, we had eight IVFs with clomid or natural cycle with doctors in Europe and in SoCal and 3 miscarriages. She changed our treatment, as the clomid seems to work against you at a certain age (another doctor also confirmed it). She changed our protocol, and we were successful - I’m now 14 weeks along. She is extremely precise, although you will find out that it’s a small office and very busy. We are so grateful we found Dr Ratcliffe.
She is very honest and direct.
Dr Ratcliffe’s office is well-verses in the ups and downs of fertility treatment. There were times that I was sure that my treatment failed, but they were really good in providing information on what could happen without giving me the sense of doom of a worst-case scenario that I often got with other doctors’ offices.
Lupron down regulation with gonadotropins
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: NatashA)
There are two primary nurse coordinators, Natasha and Ashley. They are great.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Associates.
It’s a small clinic with Dr Ratcliffe. I highly recommend it as she changed our protocol and helped us achieve our pregnancy on the first cycle, after 8 failed ivfs elsewhere. She knows what she is doing, and the office is also great. They also have different pharmacies they can use for meds, so that the costs are better with those options.
$400 per visit, approximately $2000 for IUi plus $1200 in meds

2015, Unsuccessful
Dr. Ratcliffe was not able to get us pregnant, but we were an [un]usual case. I have no doubt that she did all that was in her power to educate herself on our situation and advise accordingly. She was clear, informative, and always left the decision making up to us. She probably could have sold us on all kinds of treatments to try and improve our situation, but did not. In the end we were not successful with pregnancy, but also had a pretty minimal financial investment.
Like everyone says, Dr. Ratcliffe [at Advanced Fertility Associates] is blunt and does not sugar-coat. She is also very smart, gives a lot of information, and covers the black-and-white detail. I appreciated this as I'd rather have a doctor be a master of their craft than a master of personal skills. That being said, her assistant, Bonnie, was very kind and compassionate and offered a nice balance.
Dr. Ratcliffe was not able to get us pregnant, but we were an usual case. I have no doubt that she did all that was in her power to educate herself on our situation and advise accordingly. She was clear, informative, and always left the decision making up to us. She probably could have sold us on all kinds of treatments to try and improve our situation, but did not. In the end we were not successful with pregnancy, but also had a pretty minimal financial investment.
She's not warm and fuzzy and talks fast, so be sure to listen, not take it personally, and ask her to repeat things if necessary.
Like everyone says, Dr. Ratcliffe is blunt and does not sugar-coat. She is also very smart, gives a lot of information, and covers the black-and-white detail. I appreciated this as I'd rather have a doctor be a master of their craft than a master of personal skills. That being said, her assistant, Bonnie, was very kind and compassionate and offered a nice balance.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: Bonnie)
Bonnie was great, responded to emails promptly and in detail. There were minor miscommunications at first but nothing out of the ordinary
A round of IVF goes for about $12K, Meds another $3.5K
What specific things went wrong at Advanced Fertility Associates?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Advanced Fertility Associates.
one time a semen analysis was analyzed by the wrong specialist and had to be re-ordered, but the clinic was very apologetic and did not ask us to pay the second time around.

2015, Successful
Take her [Dr. Jennifer Ratcliffe] with a grain of salt. She has a reputation of not having a great bedside manner but she is a scientist who gets people pregnant...would only transfer 2 embryos maximum...She was firm on my weight but I understood that I needed to weigh a certain amount to get pregnant. Dr. Ratcliffe hosts a Celebration of Success Picnic each year where all of the children she helped to "create" attend with their families. It is at this picnic that you get to see a more human side to Dr. Ratcliffe.
[The nursing staff at Advanced Fertility Associates was] Fabulous!!! All the nurses were wonderful!...IUI was around $500, IVF was $12,000 (meds not included)...Clean, organized. Short wait times. Easy to book appointments. They offered financing. Everything was done in the office, even blood tests. The clinic referred me to low cost pharmacies because our insurance didn't cover infertility treatments.
Dr. Ratcliffe is a scientist. She was the first person who told my husband that it wasn't his fault we weren't getting pregnant. She is quirky. She tells you like it is. She was always prompt, on time. She explained everything in a manner-of-fact way. She is very particular in her ways. Everything is very organized.
Take her with a grain of salt. She has a reputation of not having a great bedside manner but she is a scientist who gets people pregnant.
Dr. Ratcliffe is a scientist who surrounds herself with very friendly staff. She told us she would get us pregnant. She was firm on my weight but I understood that I needed to weigh a certain amount to get pregnant. Dr. Ratcliffe hosts a Celebration of Success Picnic each year where all of the children she helped to "create" attend with their families. It is at this picnic that you get to see a more human side to Dr. Ratcliffe.
NA - I can't remember the specifics. It was too long ago.
Fabulous!!! All the nurses were wonderful!
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Associates.
IUI was around $500, IVF was $12,000 (meds not included)
Dr. Ratcliffe would only transfer 2 embryos maximum.
Santa Rosa

[Dr. Jennifer Ratcliffe] very kindly explained to us the situation we were facing...used terms and analogies that fit...genuinely understanding and sympathetic towards us... I felt comfortable with her and at ease...never felt rushed or hurried, we felt like she acted like we were her only patients with all the tine to answer any questions we had...would only transfer two embryos and she follows all guidelines. She stated she receives reports on them and adheres to them strictly
Everyone [at Advanced Fertility Associates] was very kind and knowledgeable. Each person took their time to explain things to us. Friendly smiles all the way around. Dr. Ratcliff will give you all the information and more so you walk away feeling knowledgeable...I felt comfortable with her and at ease...[nurse] was amazing! She too gave us all the time we needed. Was so helpful In explaining timelines and how things would work.
We knew my diagnosis going into the appointment for the most part. Hoping we may possibly still be able to use my eggs was what we did not know. She very kindly explained to us the situation we were facing. She was genuinely understanding and sympathetic towards us. She explained detailed information so we understood. We never felt rushed or hurried, we felt like she acted like we were her only patients with all the tine to answer any questions we had. That was so important.
Go in with your questions written out and lots of blank space to write more information down. She will cover everything!
Jennifer explained things for both of us in a calm kind manner. She used terms and analogies that fit our situation. She was kind and compassionate for our situation. I felt comfortable with her and at ease.
We have not yet gotten to that point yet
Bonnie was amazing! She too gave us all the time we needed. Was so helpful In explaining timelines and how things would work.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Associates.
Everyone was very kind and knowledgeable. Each person took their time to explain things to us. Friendly smiles all the way around. Dr. Ratcliff will give you all the information and more so you walk away feeling knowledgeable. The only negative thing I would say is that the waiting room is small and I feel like I am reaching for something.
i do not have that information at the moment
She stated she would only transfer two embryos and she follows all guidelines. She stated she receives reports on them and adheres to them strictly
Santa Rosa

Ivf $17,500...Iui$3,000...Initial visit $260 [at Advanced Fertility Associates]...She [nurse] is so compassionate, thorough and knowledgable...The whole staff are compassionate and show empathy and positivity. Everyone there are very knowledgable and can answer all my questions. I do not see any weaknesses except that I wish treatments were cheaper...She [Dr. Jennifer Ratcliffe] is blunt, but its a good thing in our situation...She saw I was misdiagnosed and changed treatment from what my last doctor did. For the IUI she did fsh injections which gave me more mature follicles than I ever have before...She is honest and thorough. She has watched over my care and changed direction when needed. She called me day or night and answered all my questions. She is also so understanding and compassionate. Her whole staff are amazing!
She is blunt, but its a good thing in our situation.
She is thorough, she caught that I was misdiagnosed at a different facility. She has been amazing
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: Bonnie )
She is so compassionate, thorough and knowledgable
Ivf $17,500 Iui$3,000 Initial visit $260