Medical SchoolU. of Texas
ResidencyU. of Kansas
FellowshipBaylor
201 Cedar St., S120
Albuquerque, NM 87106
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Jim Thompson to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico to a friend?
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
I feel good with Dr. Thompson and his staff... He was very nice with us and answered all our question but We only saw him one time, during the first appointment then I saw him during one of my exams and that was it, we did not see him again. In fact, we are asking for an appointment with him to discuss our treatment.... I took clomid 50 mg for 3 months with intercourse during my ovulation days, using ovulation tests
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jim Thompson at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jim Thompson at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico?
Ask all the information you can, read all you can about your options and treatment so you could ask more questions and if you are not sure about something ask to talk with DR. Thompson.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jim Thompson at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico?
I feel good with Dr. Thompson and his staff, especially Trisha. She has been an amazing nurse who helped us feel very relaxed during the IUIs. She answers all our questions and she is very sweet. Even though I am not pregnant yet I feel she gives us confidence it will happen.
Describe the protocols Jim Thompson used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico and their degree of success.
I took clomid 50 mg for 3 months with intercourse during my ovulation days, using ovulation tests, I felt terrible the first two months, I had headaches and felt dizzy. it didnt work so we moved to IUI, same with clomid 50mg, the nurse saw my body responds to clomid and I didnt need the trigger shot because during the ultrasound she saw I was going to ovulated but both cycles didnt work.
They are amazing, I love Trisha, she is amazing, very compassionate and sweet, she made me feel so good every time I had to be in the clinic.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
The clinic is good, the service is fast. it is hard to get the first appointment, we waited almost two months for it but after that the attention is very good, you get all the information about treatment during the first appointment, you have to ask a lot if you want to have details but they are nice and answer all the question.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jim Thompson at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
We paid like 2,000 for the medical exams and appointments, our insurance covered only the 10% and the first appointment. then we paid $564 for every IUI cycle.
Describe Jim Thompson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
I didnt talk with my doctor about it yet.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
I had seen Dr Thompson for diagmosement of endometriosis prior to seeing him for fertility treatments. I understand that he sees many patients but when we decided to go to him for fertility treatment, he acted like he had no clue who I was (even with my chart in his hand showing that he had performed a laparoscopy a few years earlier). I also understand that with the amount of patients he sees, you might not get as personal of a visit as you’d like - BUT the business he is in requires a bit of compassion and warmth that seemed to be lacking more often than not.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Go in with an open mind and keep your faith that God has a plan for you!
I felt like neither a number nor a human - if anything, I felt more like just a number. The scheduling department was very curt, not warm/welcoming/excitement inducing. Most of the nurses were incredible and very helpful and made you feel welcomed. Dr Thompson was similar to the scheduling staff in manor.
I don’t remember many specifics - just that we did injections and estrogen patches and everything worked out as planned!
The nursing staff were incredibly warm and compassionate - which is what is needed in an industry dealing with fertility. They never made ya feel like we were asking stupid questions and always made sure we left with confidence in our treatment.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
It would have been nice to have someone call or remind us when different medications were to be started/stopped/increased/decreased. We were given a calendar that had everything written on it but that extra personal touch would have been nice.
We were billed as treatments went on so we didn’t have to pay a lump sum up front. We had diffferent costa Associates with the Doctor, the medications, and the hospital/anesthesia
Dr Thompson had mentioned when we started our IVF cycle that we could implant a few embryos depending on the condition of them. My husband and I had genetic testing done on the embryos (which is HIGHLY RECOMMEND) and found that we had 2 viable embryos. After weighing all options, we decided to have both implanted. Dr Thompson was very hesitant to implant both, suggesting that we just do one at a time. We knew the tiara associated with a multiple pregnancy and wanted to proceed as such. It was incredibly hard/frustrating to finally get the doctor to agree to implant both. Apparently implanting two embryos was going against his protocol - but he had mentioned we could implant multiple in our original consultation.
Albuquerque
Dr. Thompson always cared for us as individuals rather than just another number to mark off at the end of the day. He explained things in such a way that we could understand and always made sure we understood everything before the end of our appointments.
Dr. Thompson won't tell you or suggest any kind of treatment that he does not think will not work for you. He is always upfront and honest, but advises his patients in a way that will not get your hopes up about anything.
Dr. Jim Thompson was great with my husband and myself. He was able to quickly and accurately diagnose our infertility situation, as my OB/GYN was not able to accurately diagnose me. Within just a few weeks of a correct diagnosis, I underwent surgery to remove both of my Fallopian tubes due to a blockage and hydrosalpinx. He handled our case with care and concern and delicately advised us of what kind of treatment we would require in order to have a child of our own, which turned out to be IVF. His staff made a few calls to us to check on us periodically while we have been trying to save money for IVF. I would definitely recommend Dr. Thompson to anyone who is in need of extensive fertility care.
Upon reviewing the footage from a procedure I had at another facility, he was able to quickly and accurately pinpoint the issues I was having and was able to create a treatment plan that would best work for us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico. (Assigned nurse: Sheila)
The nursing staff and IVF care coordinator were amazing! They always addressed me by name and always seemed to remember our exact issues without having to look up our file. Our IVF coordinator took the time to fully explain everything that entailed with IVF and made sure we understood.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
Overall, this clinic is great! The doctor is very educated in his field and has been a Reproductive Endocrinologist for almost 40 years. I was told that Dr. Thompson was so good at what he did, that he could get a rock pregnant. Now that's good!
All costs associated with treatment I received was covered by my insurance, therefore there were not any out of pocket costs.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Therefore, he [Dr Jim Thompson] is a very traditional doctor, he won't take current research or patient research into account. Another example of that is when after our complete IVF failure he said he would do the same thing all over again. I always felt rushed in appointments with him. Off course he was listening to us but was all the time mentioning he had to see the next patient instead. He seemed a calm person though, he never raised his voice. He wasn't optimistic about our case. He was ALWAYS bringing donor sperm into the table even after we said we would not like to proceed with that route. I liked he was around in th
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Dr. Thompson is a traditional doctor; he follows the book. Meaning that he won't take into account patient recommendations and concerns. For example, we found out a couple of days prior to starting stims with him that the IVF protocol used can play a big role on the quality of the eggs. We scheduled an appointment just to share our concern with that since the protocol he recommended was very high dose for me. He basically said it has been 20 years he has done this practice and he didn't believe the facts we were sharing with him were true and relevant. He was staring at us like we were crazy people. Therefore, he is a very traditional doctor, he won't take current research or patient research into account. Another example of that is when after our complete IVF failure he said he would do the same thing all over again. I always felt rushed in appointments with him. Off course he was listening to us but was all the time mentioning he had to see the next patient instead. He seemed a calm person though, he never raised his voice. He wasn't optimistic about our case. He was ALWAYS bringing donor sperm into the table even after we said we would not like to proceed with that route. I liked he was around in the clinic most of the times. Like for example, during the monitoring, he was there one day to take notes when the nurse coordinator was measuring the follicules. But I think that's an exception since the nurse staff are not there during weekends.
Since I didn't have a good experience regarding the IVF protocol used for me, I'd recommend a prospective patient to ask ahead of time (the first appointment with him) which protocol is going to be used and why. They don't give details like that unless you ask. I would also not decide to go ahead with an IVF here just for convenience of avoiding to travel outside of state. Look for the best options for you and your case. Don't feel like your doctor is the boss because that's exactly the feeling I got from Dr. Thompson.
I felt that all the times we had appointments with the Dr. he was very eager to see the next patient while still answering our questions. That made us feel like a number. I felt he was bothered with us when we asked important details about the treatment.
Because I have one ovary, Dr. Thompson's strategy was to overstimulate me which doesn't necessarily mean is a good and reasonable strategy. There are papers out there that prove the opposite. Since he is a very traditional doctor, in his words, he put me on a protocol he puts everyone else on. He doesn't tailor protocols according to the patient history. Before stimming, I was put on birth control for 40 days (another problem). Once I stopped birth control and my baseline ultrasound was clear (no cysts) I started stims the next day. I was on 225 IU follistim and 150 IU menopur from day 1 for 9 days without adjusting my dosage (not lower not higher). On day 6 of stims he added ganirelix (250 mcg) and I took it for 3 days. I administered follistim in the mornings and menopur in the nights according to their instructions. Then, I triggered on the 9th day of stimming with HCG 10k units. They retrieved 10 eggs, 8 were mature, 4 fertilized, and one made it to blastocyst (day 6). Did PGS testing and a week later found out the embryo was aneuploid (extra chromosome). We decided not to transfer it. The protocol damaged my eggs since I am young (31 yo) and I was in a pretty healthy diet and supplements for 1 year before IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico. (Assigned nurse: Coordinator: Sheila, nurse: Trish)
The nurse coordinator there gets a little irritated if you call her back again with the same questions. It's a difficult time and it's ok to ask same questions again even when you have forgotten you already asked them. Overall the nurse coordinator is organized and polite. She answered all our questions when possible in the first appointment. After that, I saw my nurse for the monitoring. Trish was lovely, compassionate. She would answer all my questions making sure I understood the answers and she would return my calls the same day. Very patient in explaining the injections. She is adorable. I am not sure about the other nurses though. She was the one throughout my monitoring during the week. On weekends, the nurse coordinator does the monitoring.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
Strengths: it's very convenient the clinic is inside a hospital. That makes me feel safe somehow even though they have their separate clinic. The blood tests can be done in the hospital, so it's very convenient as well. Dr. Reed, the head embryologist, is very knowledgeable and he is very caring and explains all details if you ask. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have given a chance to try IVF in this clinic. He said to Dr. Thompson he would take our case given our severity. Weaknesses: They don't provide a detailed written fertilization report because they simply don't take notes of each day when the embryo/cells are developing. The only thing they have it's a computer sheet they fill out for each day stating if the cells cleaved or not, with some acronyms about the embryo stage and quality. I was very disappointed with the other embryologist. We wanted to talk with him after our complete failed IVF and I never saw a person shake like him (nervous I guess) when he was trying to explain the fertilization "report". He basically didn't remember how our fertilization developed (later in the conversation we found out it was because they don't take notes) and he was giving us a lecture on embryology instead and not giving specific answers for our case. He blamed my eggs and my husband sperm. Little he knows the protocol plays a big role. From all this experience, I feel Dr. Thompson and the embryology lab live in different worlds in this clinic. Dr. Thompson says in the follow up he would do the same protocol on me because I responded well and my eggs were great. In the same follow up, the embryologist without the presence of Dr. Thompson says my eggs were crappy and Dr. Thompson would change my protocol to improve things. They don't communicate or have a strategy that they are on the same page and the same happened with other things throughout the process.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
They scheduled us for a specific time but since they were always running late we would be assisted around 1-2 hours window from our scheduled time. This was very inconvenient since we needed to go back to work but we didn't know the exact time we would be done. In the late stages though it was faster because not everyone was responding the same so there were few people.
IVF with ICSI and monitoring/blood tests included was U$ 17,000.00 Medications were not included. PGS was separate as well. The baseline cost for PGS was U$ 2,500. There was a fee if you had more than 8 embryos to be tested. The first appointments were submitted through insurance. These were appointments before we confirmed we were doing IVF with them. Average, I think it was U$ 300 for each when not including ultrasounds before insurance covered it (they charge the first ultrasound). Semen analysis are also out of pocket as well. We payed U$ 100.00 for one analysis. They were nice to make us a deal for sperm freezing. We payed U$ 1,000.00 for many vials of frozen sperm. I believe for one vial it's around U$ 300.00.
What specific things went wrong at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico?
Albuquerque
He [Dr. Jim Thompson] was knowledgable and kind. Not the warmest person at first but neither am I or anyone in my family so I don't mind that. I always felt he was present, overheard him recording his notes about our first visit and they were extensive so I think he was giving me full attention....see him as a professional, not a warm and fuzzy comforter
He was knowledgable and kind. Not the warmest person at first but neither am I or anyone in my family so I don't mind that. I always felt he was present, overheard him recording his notes about our first visit and they were extensive so I think he was giving me full attention.
see him as a professional, not a warm and fuzzy comforter
Dr. Thompson and Trisha were wonderful. Trisha has a friendliness, warmth, and presence that's rare to find anywhere. Dr. Thompson (and Trisha) always took time to answer all my questions, even ones that were well outside his area of expertise.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico. (Assigned nurse: Trisha and Julia were great! )
Trisha and Julia were both totally professional, compassionate, and highly skilled. I also worked with Grace who is really new and seems hesitant but with those two experts to mentor her she has a golden opportunity.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
There is one admin there whose customer service training needs work. She is very short and has canned answers and ends calls with 'ok' click. I work in service and expect everyone I work with to close calls with 'thank you' and an offer of additional assistance.
3 IUI, IVF
He [Dr. Thompson] is very friendly. I decided not to get my eggs genetically tested for moral reasons. The only thing I don’t like about him is every time I see or talk to him he gives me little hope of getting pregnant because he always has to remind me that my eggs were not tested.... He has used the same protocol for both transfer and has not discussed changing it even though neither transfer has worked. Birth control for two weeks 10ml Lupron Low dose aspirin Then progesterone shots after transfer.
3 IUI, IVF
He is very friendly. I decided not to get my eggs genetically tested for moral reasons. The only thing I don’t like about him is every time I see or talk to him he gives me little hope of getting pregnant because he always has to remind me that my eggs were not tested. They didn’t genetically test eggs 10 years ago and women were still able to conceive.
If you don’t want to hear that your embryos may not work because you choice not to have them genetically tested every time you go to the doctor go to another doctor.
Very busy office.
Very friendly.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
Very busy clinic with a very small waiting area. There are only about six chairs. There are usually people standing and waiting outside. Very friendly staff. Also it is in the basement of the hospital so there is no cell phone reception which makes for a boring wait.
Around $12,000 for a freeze all IVF cycle with no genetic testing. $3,500 for frozen embryo transfer. No medications included.
He transfers two embryos at a time
2014 - 2018
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Thompson shows his hopes and disappointments. I wish the treatment was more personalized but he sees me.... Dr Thompson was blunt but compassionate.... Thompson starts with a standard protocol for your diagnosis and adjusts while monitoring. Over the 4 years I’ve been with him he has made adjustments as studies have indicated to.... My first transfer was a success so we were all overconfident for the 2nd and 3rd. We’re back to plan for the worst hope for the best this 4th and last transfer.
2014 - 2018
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Dr Thompson was blunt but compassionate. My first transfer was a success so we were all overconfident for the 2nd and 3rd. We’re back to plan for the worst hope for the best this 4th and last transfer.
Ask all your questions and understand this is routine for him. Sometimes he forget to go slow.
All members of the nursing staff have been kind and helpful.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
The clinic is private (location wise) and that’s a strength in my view. I wish they were better at suggesting therapy and support group. It’s also easy to forget that new patients are walking in scared and with no knowledge. They could slow down and make sure not to skip information.
IVF is about $14,000 to the clinic. This does not include meds, genetic testing, or acupuncture. FET is $3,400 not including meds.
With me Dr Thompson has been cautious. He is more willing to do multiple embryos when you do not have other children.
2012 - 2014
Dr. Thompson knew what he was doing and was compassionate. He consistently answered our questions and treated us with kindness. Not once did we feel mistreated by him. He has great bedside manner and adjusted our treatment as needed...Dr. Thompson was always kind to us and explained procedures and processes when we had questions.
2012 - 2014
We saw another Dr before Dr. Thompson and had a poor experience. Dr. Thompson knew what he was doing and was compassionate. He consistently answered our questions and treated us with kindness. Not once did we feel mistreated by him. He has great bedside manner and adjusted our treatment as needed.
As with any Dr., ask questions. Dr. Thompson proved to be educated and trustworthy!
The nursing staff was always kind and wanted to get to know us; they treated us more as friends than just a number.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
The clinic is attached to a major hospital which put us at ease. The only weakness is the parking situation is a pain.
My insurance covered the everything except copays
2010 - 2012
Dr. Thompson was very kind and throrough. He took the time to answer questions or concerns. He was knowledgeable and did not seem to rush to hurry on to the next patient. He took his time and made sure I felt comfortable and all my questions were answered.... I only saw Dr. Thompson once for an IUI, so I don’t have much familiarity with his protocols.
2010 - 2012
European, Latino, Native American
As with any doctor, just do your research and have questions prepared to ask.
Dr. Thompson was very caring and thorough.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
The clinic is located in the basement of a hospital, so it isn’t ideal, but it is at least private. You don’t get the spa-feel, but the facilities are clean and comfortable. I would much rather the doctor be of high quality than the facilities be the more impressive feature.
IUI, 1 IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS
He [Dr. Jim Thompson] helped me get my son, but when the other embryo stopped growing he showed no compassion. When I continued to lose every embryo we transferred he said, I’m not sure what’s going on your not fat. I asked if we could change to the other dr in the practice for our last 2 embryos I was told that wasn’t an option. Which is really disappointing because he wasn’t willing to change the protocol. So we transferred our last 2 embryos and ended up in the same boat! Miscarried both.
IUI, 1 IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS
He helped me get my son, but when the other embryo stopped growing he showed no compassion. When I continued to lose every embryo we transferred he said, I’m not sure what’s going on your not fat. I asked if we could change to the other dr in the practice for our last 2 embryos I was told that wasn’t an option. Which is really disappointing because he wasn’t willing to change the protocol. So we transferred our last 2 embryos and ended up in the same boat! Miscarried both.
Ask questions and demand answers. You are hiring them!
Half the time he didn’t even remember my name or my husbands name.
We tried to do IUI with injections after having worked with a dr that tried clomid and famara with me. I wouldn’t ever ovulate. When we saw no results we went on to IVF withICSI. I ordered a ton of shots but for whatever reason I responded very quickly! I had a possible 50 eggs to remove 😳 but they only retrieved 14.
When we originally started at the clinic we had a great relationship with a few of the nurses. By our last transfer the entire team had changed and we didn’t have a relationship with any of them. The practice has now spilt and capterton and Thomson are no longer together.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of New Mexico.
I would say they need to be more encouraging and realize how much $$$ people are spending and the emotional toll it takes. Like I said in the previous post, in the beginning the staff was great toward the end they were just so so and not very kind or understanding.
We spend 14,000 on our IVF 6,000 on meds, 5,000 per frozen transfer. That doesn’t include the cost of travel as we are 3 hours from the clinic.