Medical SchoolU. of Pennsylvania
770.928.2276
711 Canton Rd
Marietta, GA 30060
770.928.2276
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Jim Toner to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 4Neutral: 29
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend ACRM to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 39Neutral: 5Don't recommend: 58.8
Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
For the most part I felt like a human, however the office [ACRM] was always busy and it didn't seem that he took the time to look in my chart before seeing me. I took 3 months off in between iui 4 and iui 5 and no one noticed...He [Dr. Jim Toner] was direct and to the point, and explained things fairly well. He was willing to answer all of my questions, but was always rushed. I felt that I was in good hands though. I think if there were better emotional support from him I would feel better. However, I would rather have a competent physician that wasnt overly friendly vs a super friendly physician who may not know exactly what they were talking about or what needed to be done.
Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jim Toner?
He was direct and to the point, and explained things fairly well. He was willing to answer all of my questions, but was always rushed. I felt that I was in good hands though. I think if there were better emotional support from him I would feel better. However, I would rather have a competent physician that wasnt overly friendly vs a super friendly physician who may not know exactly what they were talking about or what needed to be done.
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jim Toner?
Be prepared to feel a bit like a number. I've heard so many good things about the office, so even though we didn't have success yet doesn't mean that they won't.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
For the most part I felt like a human, however the office was always busy and it didn't seem that he took the time to look in my chart before seeing me. I took 3 months off in between iui 4 and iui 5 and no one noticed.
Describe the protocols Jim Toner used in your cycles and their degree of success.
We started with bloodwork, naturally. My husband was diagnosed with low testosterone, and even though his sperm count was still in the normal range, it was on the low side. He was prescribed clomid to help with his testosterone, which in turn boosted his sperm count over the next few months. As far as I'm concerned, my bloodwork came back all within a normal range. I was then sent for a hsg, which showed that my tubes were clear. Dr. Toner then met with us to discuss a game plan. Dr. Toner thought that we just had a bit of 'bad luck' over the previous 18 months and want us to give iui a try. Every month, my husbands sperm count rose but I did not/ have not fallen pregnant as of yet. Going on 3 years of trying!
Describe your experience with your nurse.
Janelle was amazing. She was always great with bloodwork and coordinating prescriptions for the doctor if needed. My nurse (I forgot her name!) Was great as well. The back office staff is always sweet and we're great to talk about any issues I was dealing with.
Describe your experience with ACRM.
I've been to 2 of the locations. The offices themselves are very nice, but the front office is fairly flaccid at both locations. No greeting or 'how are you?'. They also don't run your insurance before hand if your insurance changes- one of the reasons we stopped having the iui's performed was because my insurance changed. They didn't run it the first 2 visits after and made me pay out of pocket, which was almost $1000. Then i found out my insurance covered nothing, so we stopped the iui midcycle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jim Toner.
Baseline ultrasound and bloodwork- approx. $500 Midcycle ultrasound and bloodwork- approx. $500 Hsg- approx $400 Iui- approx $300
What specific things went wrong at this clinic?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr toner was amazing. He took my emails anytime, always responded with thorough and detailed answers, even when I was really delving into Google research and had a million questions. He never acted annoyed, though I'm sure I was very annoying, heh. He always listened to what I wanted, gave his advice, thoroughly explaining why he recommended it, but always took my wishes and direction into consideration in planning my cycles. Best of all, he always told me it would happen, it was just a matter of time, and never let me lose all hope.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jim Toner?
Dr Toner is not going to give you false hope. If he thinks you have a strong possibility of a good outcome, believe him. Sometimes it just takes longer than we want to accept. It's worth it in the end! Don't be afraid to ask questions, and ask to change your treatment if you feel strongly about it, Dr Toner will work with you. He won't let you stray too far or do anything that could be harmful. He knows what he is doing! But sometimes it's ok to ask to move on to the next course of treatment sooner than later.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
Dr toner was great. He took my emails anytime, always responded with thorough and detailed answers, even when I was really delving into Google research and had a million questions. He never acted annoyed, though I'm sure I was very annoying, heh. He always listened to what I wanted, gave his advice, thoroughly explaining why he recommended it, but always took my wishes and direction into consideration in planning my cycles. Best of all, he always told me it would happen, it was just a matter of time, and never let me lose all hope. I also loved Dr Calhoun and a few of the other Drs. This is a great practice.
I had diminished ovarian reserve and was a low responder to stimulation medication, so I actually did two "mini ivf" retreival cycles. I was on a lowish dose of letrazole days 2-7(I think 5mg? It's hard to remember back in 2015-2016), then a low dose of follistim days 4-until my eggs were big enough. I did not use Lupton or anything to suppress ovulation because I was never ovulating on my own anyway, so they just monitored my estrogen and lh daily until i was ready to trigger. My second retrieval round actually began as a break round-return to an IUI after I had had two miscarriages in a row from a fresh transfer and a frozen transfer, but my ovaries responded so well to the medications that time that we had to switch to an egg retrieval. Normally I had no more than 1-4 follicles developing in any given cycle, but that one I somehow suddenly had 13! That is the retrieval that contained my son. I had an insane pregnancy with him splitting into a twin then the twin dying and the sac becoming a subchorionic hemorrhage that stayed with me until my water broke at 29 weeks, the other transferred embryo becoming ectopic and exploding my fallopian tube, hidden behind my hyperstimulated ovary, for which I had emergency surgery to discover this and remove my right ovary, all while I was pregnant with my son. But it was worth it in the end!
Describe your experience with your nurse.
My nurse was amazing. She always responded to my emails within like 30 mins during business hours, and as soon as she got in. She was so compassionate, even when I cried, and I cried a lot over those 2 years. She always was on top of everything I needed. She made it all easy. She was excellent.
Describe your experience with ACRM.
The only problems were occasional wait times and billing issues, but the Marietta office was great. Just stay on top of your bills, check them all for accuracy, mistakes happen. Also, some of the Drs are not as compassionate. I did not like Dr Fogle. She sent me home with no pain meds telling me I was just gonna have to tough ohs out, when I told her I felt like I was dying, and I turned out to have a ruptured ectopic pregnancy. Dr Calhoun was amazing, though.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jim Toner.
I paid about $11,000 total per egg retrieval, since my insurance covered some things like bloodwork, not including medications. Medications per retrieval were purchased offsite, and for me were about $1100, because of the mini IVF cycle. Dr toner always helped discount procedures for me. I was able to take out the costs for any specific procedures I didn't need, not just charged the global ivf cycle price. I went through each cost list with a fine toothed comb and they worked with me. My frozen transfer cycle was about $4000, plus medication. IUI cycles were covered by my insurance, but cost me about $200/ month.
PCOS, Other, Unexplained
I have PCOS and I remember him telling me that my weight or the diagnosis would not stop me from becoming a mom. When we meet with him covers all the facts and explains all the possible outcomes.... My second egg retrieval was devastating because we ended up with nothing,but I understand that these things happen.... After having the ERA test done that was performed by Dr.Toner I went on to conceive twice after having four unsuccessful transfers.
PCOS, Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jim Toner?
Dr Toner gave me hope when one of his colleagues completely dismissed me. I have PCOS and I remember him telling me that my weight or the diagnosis would not stop me from becoming a mom. When we meet with him covers all the facts and explains all the possible outcomes. He supports whatever decisions we make and have gotten us through some pretty tough times. ACRM's lab does not accept our insurance so we had to have our third egg retrieval at another clinic. Although we were able to get some eggs I felt more comfortable just paying the money to go back to ACRM. My seventh egg transfer will be March 13 with Dr.Toner and I wouldnt have it any other way.
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jim Toner?
He's a very kind man,and definitely knows what hes talking about. He will give you hope when other wont.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
My team is absolutely amazing! Dr.Toner and my nurse Mikesha Middlebrook have always treated myself and m husband as more than just patients. We have a very long and complicated history,but they've always been there for us. I suffer two second trimester losses due to an incompetent cervix and they both came to the hospital and just sat with us. It meant the world to me that in my lowest moment they were there for us.
My second egg retrieval was devastating because we ended up with nothing,but I understand that these things happen. Trial and error. I was triggered too early and my eggs hadn't had time to mature. After having the ERA test done that was performed by Dr.Toner I went on to conceive twice after having four unsuccessful transfers. My protocols for egg retrieval is to stim slow and steady to prevent OHSS. Transfer protocol is very simple estrogen tabs,followed by six days of PIO before transfer. My ERA results showed that I needed an extra day of PIO before transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse.
I cant say enough great things about my nurse. I absolutely,positively love her!! She has helped me through so many ups and downs in this infertility journey. She is more than a nurse,I can call or email her and she always gets back to me. Shes been there for me and my husband through transfer after transfer,loss after loss. She held my lifeless baby in her arms and Ill never forget that. She goes above the call of duty and I am so grateful to have her as my nurse. She is truly is an extraordinary woman and definitely a huge contributor to ACRM's success.
Describe your experience with ACRM.
The strength of ACRM is their efficiency and organization. The only weakness I would say is the technology of clinic. I think that they should update some of the machines and exam rooms,but other than that I love it.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments.
I have no complaints with the time frame of monitoring. It makes sense that they are done first thing to ensure that patients with consults later on in the day get the full attention they deserve.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jim Toner.
Right now Dr.Toner i covered under my insurance but not the lab. That part has been a bit of a disappointment,but Dr.Toner offered us a 20% discount for what is not covered under insurance.
Atlanta Perimeter
He [Dr. Jim Toner] lacked emotion or bedside manner, but was always pleasant and optimistic. I trust him and felt he had a very good sense of what he was doing and how to handle our case successfully. He recommended freezing sperm (which was unsuccessful because samples didn't survive thaw well)...He made sure to be very familiar with all details of our case.
How was your experience with Jim Toner?
He lacked emotion or bedside manner, but was always pleasant and optimistic. I trust him and felt he had a very good sense of what he was doing and how to handle our case successfully. He recommended freezing sperm (which was unsuccessful because samples didn't survive thaw well).
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jim Toner?
Do not expect extreme warmth, but do expect a capable and calm Doctor.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
He made sure to be very familiar with all details of our case.
Antagonist protocol (no female issues known). ICSI for fertilization
Describe your experience with your nurse.
Mikesha was EXCELLENT and has taken great care of me. My patient care coordinator, Michelle, was very forgetful. She often called to schedule me for a treatment I wasn't scheduled to even have. Thankfully for my IVF cycle I made most of my appointments with Mikesha and felt great in her care.
Describe your experience with ACRM.
Strengths: professional, great nurses, seemingly popular, very organized process. Weaknesses: some (not all) administrative staff is disorganized and rude.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments.
This was a well-oiled machine. I was usually called into appointments within 15 minutes, though I was almost always early or on time. I did wait for 10-15 minutes in the exam rooms, though.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jim Toner.
Cycle $15,600. Meds $3,300. Pre-treatment (Hysteroscopy, mock transfer) $1,770.
What specific things went wrong at this clinic?
2013 - 2014
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Toner is very caring. He's very honest and realistic. He's hopeful, but won't give you false hope. He's always been there when I needed to meet with him. Very comfortable to be around. He's always smiling!... He's strengths are his knowledge, his heart, positive, but realistic, wants the best for his patients. No negatives with him. I remember Dr. Toner telling me that it's not a matter if you'll get pregnant but when. That gave me hope.
2013 - 2014
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jim Toner?
He might seem shy at first.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
We tried Clomid cycles and Femara cycles. Basic stuff. Then we moved on to IUI. Logical next step. IVF was just the next logical step after IUI. A blocked tube, poor egg quality, endo. Just makes sense. With my recurrent pregnancy losses, it makes sense to do testing on the embryos. He's just very logical in his thinking.
Describe your experience with your nurse.
They were very informative. If they said they would call back they always would.
Describe your experience with ACRM.
Great friendly staff. Beautiful offices. Organized. Labs are quick. Always returned calls. Great customer service. They answer your questions and take their time with helping you out. I wish they weren't so expensive.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jim Toner.
One cycle of Fresh IVF is $18,000 not including Meds.
Atlanta Perimeter
Dr Toner took time to explain everything to us. Step by step as to what we would be looking at as treatment. I was suprised to sit down with him on our first appointment. Usually you talk with nurses and other office professionals first, but not at this appointment. He was eager to begin treatment that day, and we are coming up on our next appointment. If the first course of treatment didnt work, he has other options for us.
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jim Toner?
Be honest and open so he can use his experience to help in the best way possible.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
Our first appointment, we sat down with Dr. Toner, and he was very polite and made sure we understood everything he was telling us and is optimistic of our course of action.
Describe your experience with your nurse.
Phone communication is nearly non existent. Email is preferred, but we didn't realize that.
Describe your experience with ACRM.
Very comfortable feel to the waiting room. Quick to move patients in.
Atlanta Buckhead