Medical SchoolEmory
FellowshipU. of Pennsylvania
3193 Howell Mill Road
Atlanta, GA 30327
404-228-7199
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Joe Massey to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Servy Massey Fertility Institute to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
Dr. Massey and his team made me and my husband feel really comfortable.... Dr. Massey is a great doctor. He is very knowledgeable on IVF and the processes.... In all of our experiences so far, the only thing seemingly negative I would say is that he doesn't go into a whole lot of detail until you ask the questions.... He really cares to do everything he can to make our dreams of having a family come true. He walked us through all the steps we are having to take before we start all the medications and IVF procedure.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
How was your experience with Joe Massey at Servy Massey Fertility Institute?
Dr. Massey is a great doctor. He is very knowledgeable on IVF and the processes. He has been doing this for a long time and seems to have dealt with a lot of different issues and scenarios. He was one of the founders of RBA in Atlanta (one of the biggest fertility clinics in GA). He left to open this practice with Dr. Servy to make it more possible for everyone to have a family at a lower cost. Although it is still quite expensive, we are glad we chose Dr. Massey and his team. We are still in the process of doing everything, so I will have more to add later. In all of our experiences so far, the only thing seemingly negative I would say is that he doesn't go into a whole lot of detail until you ask the questions. Luckily my husband and I are quite the "question askers".
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joe Massey at Servy Massey Fertility Institute?
I definitely think you should meet with him and pay the money for the first consultation. We saw another doctor before Dr. Massey and with it being a much bigger clinic, I felt more like a number. I think it's great to see several doctors and get multiple opinions before deciding on "the one". We had friends that highly recommended him after being unsuccessful at another clinic. He is highly knowledgeable since he has been in the business for so long and that's one of the best things for me to know.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joe Massey at Servy Massey Fertility Institute?
Dr. Massey and his team made me and my husband feel really comfortable. We are currently in the process of starting IVF. Dawn (our nurse) has gone above and beyond to fit in me into schedules last minute for ultrasounds. They understand that the entire process is costly and gave me several medication options on where to buy from. Dr. Massey started this practice to help anyone that wanted to have a baby, at a more affordable cost. He really cares to do everything he can to make our dreams of having a family come true. He walked us through all the steps we are having to take before we start all the medications and IVF procedure. He and his entire staff answer all questions and concerns. He gives his honest feedback on what needs to be done and the expectations we should have.
Describe the protocols Joe Massey used in your cycles at Servy Massey Fertility Institute and their degree of success.
Since we just started seeing Dr. Massey at the end of November I haven't done any of the treatments or medications yet. He did have me in for an ultrasound twice (once in December and again in January) to confirm that I had either a polyp or fibroids in my uterus. He told us how this could effect treatment if we started IVF before having these removed/taken care of. I am glad that he had a look twice (and only charged me once) for his benefit to make sure I had the proper diagnosis.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Servy Massey Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Dawn Cooke)
Our nurse, Dawn, is absolutely amazing! She is very helpful in answering all of our questions. She helped us get multiple options on where to buy our medications to help us save money where we can. She gave me all the necessary documents I needed for reading material and told me to call her with any questions or concerns. She is passionate about her job and helping us get the baby we have been hoping for.
Describe your experience with Servy Massey Fertility Institute.
Overall the clinic is great. The doctor, nurses and staff are all friendly and helpful. The only weakness I can say is that trying to call their office is almost impossible. The receptionist doesn't answer the phone often and you are pretty much always sent to a voicemail. If the phones weren't an issue, I would say they have nothing but strengths.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joe Massey at Servy Massey Fertility Institute.
Initial consultation was $250. Depending on insurance certain ultrasounds/testing was covered. $8,810 is the cost of IVF with a 6 month embryo freeze. $3,000 for genetic testing for 8 embryos, $250 for each additional embryo tested (which we have to do because of my chromosomal abnormality). $2,000 for initial medications (from overseas) more to come after egg transfer (roughly another $750). If we received medications from the U.S. it could range from $3,000 to $6,000.
Describe Joe Massey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Servy Massey Fertility Institute.
Dr. Massey suggested that we only do a single embryo transfer. He advised that it would be healthier for me and for the baby with less complications during birth. He and the nurse did tell me that if the one embryo did not take the first go around and we had more frozen then we could do two embryos for a frozen embryo transfer (FET).
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
I would say I am a very inquisitive patient and you have to take extra a time with me because this is my first rodeo...Dr. Massey has never once been frustrated with me or passed me to another doctor for fear of how long he would have to spend with me. I honestly appreciate that...He is always honest with us, he takes his time and treats you like you actually matter...On one occasion during a procedure I fainted... In this particular case I was loved on and given time to recooperate before we continued, the process explained repeatedly and also given more pain medication instead of being told to just deal with it.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Joe Massey at Servy Massey Fertility Institute?
Dr. Massey is described in my eyes as hope. We have been to one other doctor at another clinic and were basically told that my husband was perfect and I was the issue. I cried for two days and felt like the lowest person on earth. The one thing that your body is suppose to do as a woman I’m not doing at all. But when we were referred to Dr. Massey by my OBGYN it was like a breath of fresh air. He is always honest with us, he takes his time and treats you like you actually matter instead of just another form of compensation. I would say I am a very inquisitive patient and you have to take extra a time with me because this is my first rodeo and I want and Ned to know EVERYTHING. I even record and write down everything so I do not mess up or get confused. With that being said Dr. Massey has never once been frustrated with me or passed me to another doctor for fear of how long he would have to spend with me. I honestly appreciate that. I just want to carry my own child and finally become a mom. It doesn’t sound like much but over the last 4 years I have discovered it actually takes a lot more than I could ever dream.
Ask ask ask....... they will tell you everything that you need to know and also what’s happening next.
On one occasion during a procedure I fainted. I’ve been in other situations where the nurses and doctors felt like they were spending too much time with me. In this particular case I was loved on and given time to recooperate before we continued, the process explained repeatedly and also given more pain medication instead of being told to just deal with it.
I’m currently still undergoing treatment and I have done so many test it’s impossible to encounter every detail but I will list the ones below..... The salt water test I had to complete twice and during these procedures I had to take citotec because my cervix refused to open. They also had to do shots to my cervix to make it dilate which were horrible. I have not retrieved any eggs yet taking injectables is what stage I am in right now. I pray everything works out so that I can go to egg retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Servy Massey Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Dawn)
Dawn is amazing. Her approach, passion and heart are what every nursing staff needs in this business. When under her care you are not a patient you are her priority and basically her “baby”. She makes sure she takes you to that next level without fear or stress. I absolutely adore her and wish she never went on vacations.
Describe your experience with Servy Massey Fertility Institute.
Some of the clinical staff are a little harsh and they need to remember that in this business compassion is what’s needed most. No matter how bad their day has been you are a different person who has not harmed them and just needs a little love during your visit and check in.
I can’t remember because some we’re done under a different doctor at another clinic before transferring to Dr. Massey.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor
Dr. Massey is kind and he gave me plenty of time. I never felt rushed with him. He was present for all of my monitoring appointments. However, he is not great at communicating. I did not always feel like my questions were thoroughly answered. I did a LOT of research on my own. If I had not asked specific questions I am not sure that I would have been provided much of any information at all...The protocol was chosen based on the parameters the Dr. had to work with. I guess I had an atypical response
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor
How was your experience with Joe Massey at Servy Massey Fertility Institute?
Do your own research and be prepared to ask questions related to your protocol, your plan, what to expect, what he thinks your likelihood of success is and WHY he thinks that your success may be better/worse than the average. Dr. Massey will answer all of your questions and he will explain things to you with patience, but you have to know what to ask in the first place. If you don't ask you are unlikely to be told.
Dr. Massey's Office is relatively small in terms of the number of patients that are being treated at one time. I think there were 4-5 other women on the same cycle as me. I never had to wait more than 10 minutes at my "first come first serve" monitoring appointments. The staff knew my name and my details. The IVF coordinator was great. I never felt like they were pushing people through like cattle.
In 2015 I was diagnosed with Stage 4 endometriosis following a laparoscopy to determine the cause of our infertility. We also have male factor infertility though my husband's numbers were not low enough to fully explain our inability to conceive. My AHA was 1.5 which was low for my age (31). My sonohystagram did not show many follicles during a natural cycle. All of our issues combined led Dr. Massey to recommend ICSI. Going in I was told that he did not expect me to respond very well to the stimulation medications due to the lower AMH and the endo. I was told from the start that it was unlikely that I would produce enough viable embryos to have a frozen cycle. I was put on relatively high doses of the drugs due to the expectation of a low response. I took 225 Gonal-f and 1cc of Menopur each day along with .5 units of Lupron. I triggered with Ovidrel on the 10th day of meds. I did produce 11-12 follicles and I think that I responded much better than initially expected. My estrogen level was at 4000 on trigger day. Dr. Massey retrieved 6 mature eggs on ER day. Four fertilized successfully with ICSI. Unfortunately 3 of the 4 arrested before day 3 and our fourth also stopped maturing before it made it to day 4. At our post IVF consult we were advised that the embryo qualify was likely poor due to the rapid stimulation. I was given high doses due to the expectation that I would not respond well, but I did respond OK and it is possible that the eggs were fragile due to the drug protocol. I don't think that could have been helped. The protocol was chosen based on the parameters the Dr. had to work with. I guess I had an atypical response. The plan for cycle 2 is to do lower doses of the drugs over a longer stimulation phase to try and produce more hearty eggs.
There are two primary IVF nurses at this clinic. One is AMAZING and if I could request her services for all parts of my next cycle then I would have zero hesitations about continuing treatment at this clinic. The other nurse is not bad. She is kind, but her communications skills are not great. She delivers information poorly, she is not good at explaining procedures, she sometimes seemed unable to answer questions which left me with a lot of uncertainty.
Describe your experience with Servy Massey Fertility Institute.
Strengths: The clinic is small and provides personalized services to patients. I never felt like "a number" to them. They are one of only a very few IVF clinics in the United States that provide low cost IVF. That alone makes them a HUGE blessing. My husband and I would have had to wait another 18-24 months to save enough money for one round at one of the big name clinics in Georgia. After the first failed cycle, I can't even imagine how we would begin to afford a second chance. Servy Massey's lower cost services allow us to be in a position to try again within the next 12 months. The clinic also works with medication providers to get discounts for patients on the stimulation medications as well as some of the pre-cycle blood and genetic testing. This doctor and his staff are there to help people build their families. It is very clear that Servy Massey is not doing this for the money and that is very comforting. Weaknesses: Some of the nursing staff and the office staff don't seem very knowledgeable. I was constantly left with the feeling that some of the people didn't really know what they were doing which is not a great feeling to have at any doctor's office. I will say that I experienced this primarily with support staff (billing/reception/etc.) I only had unease with one of the nurses. The rest of the medical staff and the doctor himself were great.
Dr. Massey offers low-cost IVF. It is the reason that we went with this clinic over others whose services may have been rated higher. IVF/ICSI is $7,725.00. That includes all blood work, monitoring, retrieval and transfer. Pre-screening tests and blood work are also available at a reduced rate if your insurance won't cover those procedures. Dr. Massey's office was able to get me a reduced rate on the genetic testing for me and my husband. My total out of pocket expenses for my fresh cycle (including pre-screening blood work, sonohystagram, IVF cycle, cryopreservation, and medication) was right at $14,000.
We were initially told at consultation that Dr. Massey would go with eSET. The goal was a healthy singleton and that he wanted to avoid multiples. However, given our circumstances it had been his intention to transfer two if we had multiple day fives available. He changed his approach to give us the best chance of conceiving. I greatly appreciated it. We were not "multiple averse." We would have welcomed twins or triplets if he had transferred multiples and they all took. Unfortunately, we didn't even have one decent day 5 to transfer. I think that Dr. Massey is very willing to alter his cycle/transfer plans to give the couple the best possible chance of conceiving.
Atlanta
My first appointment with Dr. Massey was done by phone and I had him explain everything 2 or 3 times and he didn't get frustrated but was patient with my questions. He also showed compassion when we did an embryo transfer that didn't work and gave us hope for the future. He has many patients but when he is with you it feels like he doesn't have very many because he focuses so much on each individual situation...When I called Dr. Massey, he built on what had already been done. He started us off with a round of IVF.
How was your experience with Joe Massey at Servy Massey Fertility Institute?
Be open and honest and ask all the questions you have.
Going through the IVF process, you are bound to have about a million questions regarding dates, medicines, injections, embryos, ect. Dr. Massey and his staff made sure to answer all my questions and responded quickly to voicemails and emails. They also love to see pictures of my 1 year old that was a result of a fresh IVF cycle in 2015
I had seen several fertility doctors before Dr. Massey. I felt like every time I started seeing a new one they would want to start from the beginning. When I called Dr. Massey, he built on what had already been done. He started us off with a round of IVF. I can't remember all the medicine I took specifically but it worked. We got pregnant from the fresh round with one baby after transferring two embryos. The 2nd transfer we did only 1 embryo and it did not work. The 3rd transfer we transferred the last two embryos and I am currently pregnant with one.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Servy Massey Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: I mostly worked with Dawn)
I mostly worked with Dawn. She is great and I don't think I could say enough good things about Dawn. She is very understanding and compassionate. She was quick to respond to questions. I absolutely love all of Dr. Massey's staff.
Describe your experience with Servy Massey Fertility Institute.
The clinics strengths are the people that work there and their compassion and knowledge. I believe they now have a lab in Atlanta but the only weakness would be that when I did my first round their only lab was in Augusta and it's a great lab but a bit of a drive. I would tell a new patient that sometimes the journey is rough but the people that work here make it much more enjoyable.
Oh I can't recall the exact amount for a round of IVF. I believe it was between $7,000 and $8,000. Then the cost of the medication. It's expensive but more affordable than other places. The care is top notch though. The embryo transfers were quite a bit less and there wasn't as much medicine to buy. The transfers were around $4000, I believe.
Atlanta
Dr Massey discussed all options with us and always recommended the best course of action and kept our hopes up. Don’t expect the typical doctor’s office experience as he may also seem a little unconventional--but it’s hard to beat his experience and knowledge...Finally, when I transferred to OBGYN care, Dr Massey personally wrote a letter to my OB explaining my medical history and treatments done so far--this was hugely appreciated by us as well as my OB. The quality of care is superlative and I have no hesitation in recommending this practice to anyone who is looking for affordable, compassionate and excellent fertility treatment...
How was your experience with Joe Massey at Servy Massey Fertility Institute?
We are beyond grateful for Dr Massey and his team and their exceptional care. With PCOS and trying for more than a year to conceive we went to Dr Massey’s clinic with dampened hopes. We did five IUI’s, one fresh IVF cycle which ended up in a miscarriage and finally, a frozen cycle that took and have a beautiful baby boy now. Throughout our difficult journey, they offered us the most cost effective, compassionate and quality care. Compared to other practices in the Atlanta area, Servy Massey Institute strives to offer the best cost options. Infertility treatments are expensive and our insurance covered only limited portions of the care and hence we really appreciated the options available. They do see a considerable number of patients, but managed to keep a family atmosphere and offer personalized care. I can count the number of times we had to wait more than 30 minutes at my appointments. Everyone in the practice were so compassionate and empathetic, it made this tough ordeal much more bearable. We are especially thankful for our positive experiences with Dr Massey, Dr Dourron, Dawn, Cecilia, lab staff and others at the clinic--without which we would have given up easily. Dr Massey discussed all options with us and always recommended the best course of action and kept our hopes up. Don’t expect the typical doctor’s office experience as he may also seem a little unconventional--but it’s hard to beat his experience and knowledge. Our brief interactions with the staff at the Augusta clinic was also overwhelmingly positive. With our first IVF cycle ending up in a miscarriage, we were extra cautious with the frozen cycle. And every time I freaked out about bleeding or other issues, they were empathetic and monitored with regular ultrasounds and check ups. Finally, when I transferred to OBGYN care, Dr Massey personally wrote a letter to my OB explaining my medical history and treatments done so far--this was hugely appreciated by us as well as my OB. The quality of care is superlative and I have no hesitation in recommending this practice to anyone who is looking for affordable, compassionate and excellent fertility treatment.
He may seem a little unorthodox and an odd sense of humor--but we enjoyed it as it did help us destress
Dr Massey's clinic do see a considerable number of patients, but managed to keep a family atmosphere and offer personalized care. I can count the number of times we had to wait more than 30 minutes at my appointments. Everyone in the practice were so compassionate and empathetic, it made this tough ordeal much more bearable. We are especially thankful for our positive experiences with Dr Massey, Dr Dourron, Dawn, Cecilia, lab staff and others at the clinic--without which we would have given up easily. Dr Massey discussed all options with us and always recommended the best course of action and kept our hopes up. Don’t expect the typical doctor’s office experience as he may also seem a little unconventional--but it’s hard to beat his experience and knowledge. Our brief interactions with the staff at the Augusta clinic was also overwhelmingly positive. With our first IVF cycle ending up in a miscarriage, we were extra cautious with the frozen cycle. And every time I freaked out about bleeding or other issues, they were empathetic and monitored with regular ultrasounds and check ups. Finally, when I transferred to OBGYN care, Dr Massey personally wrote a letter to my OB explaining my medical history and treatments done so far--this was hugely appreciated by us as well as my OB.
IUI- 5 Fresh IVF Cycle Frozen IVF Cycle Ovidrel and progesterone shots
Dawn was awesome. I wish all nurses are like her. She was the epitome of compassion and empathy. The way she communicated with a cheery smile and disposition always helped us see the positive side.
Describe your experience with Servy Massey Fertility Institute.
It was cost effective especially as insurance didnt cover all portions of the treatment cost
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
He [Dr. Massey] was very dry not really positive or negative per se. He did refer to my age quite a bit. He said my tubes were damaged and blocked. Which later I went to a specialist for tubal cleansing and he said my tubes were wide open!... Dr. Massey was direct and also encouraged my to use donor embryos or eggs.... Regular, shots, estrogen pills, testosterone creams and progesterone
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Joe Massey at Servy Massey Fertility Institute?
They certainly did not explain all of the out of pocket costs. It was supposed to be around 9000 but we ended up paying 14,000 out of pocket for extra tests, procedures and medications etc. That definitely presents stress when you are halfway through all of the procedures, it's not like you can just stop. That was disappointing
Ask all of your questions. Do not feel rushed to move forward until you know the total cost and what is going to take place. Other than that I only did one round of IVF here. It was my first IVF procedure so I was so green to this arena. I had lots of research and experience in natural, diet protocols, IUI, acupuncture etc
He was very dry not really positive or negative per se. He did refer to my age quite a bit. He said my tubes were damaged and blocked. Which later I went to a specialist for tubal cleansing and he said my tubes were wide open! He said sometimes the tubes will contract if you are stressed. That doctor actually ended up giving me money back because he did not have to perform the surgery.
Regular, shots, estrogen pills, testosterone creams and progesterone
Describe your experience with your nurse at Servy Massey Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: ?)
She was great! She was always very positive and willing to help with understanding the packets and the materiel we needed to review
Describe your experience with Servy Massey Fertility Institute.
They are not the most friendly at the front. The nurse was very friendly. Dr. Massey was direct and also encouraged my to use donor embryos or eggs. I paid cash for everything so I don't know how their financing dept works
I believe I paid around 14000 for this procedure and all meds and separate tests performed for the transfer
he was willing to put in two. I only had one make it
Atlanta
Our journey to being a family started with a fresh cycle followed by two frozen cycles and then another fresh cycle before we were successful. There were several occasions of us undergoing both physical and emotional pain, Dr.Massey empathized with us and was also there for us on weekends to mitigate side effects... I would highly recommend Dr.Massey, he has enormous experience and tremendous network of professionals who are in the business of making dreams reality.
How was your experience with Joe Massey at Servy Massey Fertility Institute?
My wife and I would like to express my utmost gratitude to everyone at SMFI, and to Dr.Servy and Dr.Massey in particular. We went into their clinic in 2014 knowing that IVF was our only chance of having a baby, I did research all providers in the Atlanta metropolitan area, but chose Dr.Massey for his vast experience, the groundbreaking work he and Dr.Servy have done for all these years and of course, the cost. Our journey was long, filled with heartbreaks and pain, but in the end we got our magical, lovely, life changing phenomenon of a son thanks to them. Our journey to being a family started with a fresh cycle followed by two frozen cycles and then another fresh cycle before we were successful. My rating for the doctor and his partner/practice is based on the many many visits I've had with them. I know one could feel the setup is different, especially given that the practice is in Atlanta and the lab is in Augusta - but it does significantly cut costs. I would highly recommend Dr.Massey, he has enormous experience and tremendous network of professionals who are in the business of making dreams reality.
Persevere, have faith and know you are in good hands. You are not entering a super specialty corporate hospital complex, it is a setup thats trying to save you costs.
Multiple semen samples were taken fresh and frozen prior to each retrieval given my severe oligozoospermia. Sperm quality was treated prior to retrieval to improve chances. Typical fresh and frozen cycles for my wife. Fifth day transfers on fresh cycles.
Great with follow ups and very helpful and caring.
$15K for fresh cycle, medicines, frozen cycle
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Massey has a warm and caring demeanor. He explains everything to you in detail and you never feel like you have to rush (I.e., I never felt like the clock was ticking because the next 10 patients are waiting for him.) No question was ever a dumb question so I always felt comfortable communicating with him. I could talk to him about anything. We talked realistically about the numbers and the statistics behind the different options. It was through these discussions that ultimately, we decided that using donor eggs made the most sense. Bottom line Dr. Masse is a fantastic doctor and a remarkable human being.
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Joe Massey at Servy Massey Fertility Institute?
If you are looking for one of those places that is fancy and has all the "glitz" and "glamour" (e.g., luxurious waiting room or spa-like atmosphere) then you do not want to go to him.
He (and his staff) are the most caring people I found who do this type of work in the Atlanta area. Always available for questions. The office was a doctor's office; very comfortable, warm and inviting. Everyone knew you and you knew everyone in the office. I called my nurse FIVE YEARS later and she remembered EXACTLY who I was and my husband as well. Could talk to Dr. Massey about anything - anytime. Really a great doctor and a remarkable human being.
Dr.Massey looked for polyps and any irregularities in my womb (vaginal ultrasound; and also performed a Sonohysterogram. The medicine protocol was the following:ESTRACE 2mg # 30 BRAVELLE 75 IU # 54 vials MENOPUR 75 IU # 10 LUPRON 2 WEEK KIT # 1 DEXAMETHASONE 0.5MG # 10 OVIDREL 250 MCG # 1 VALIUM 5 MG # 1 ENDOMETRIUM 100MG # 28 inserts PRENATAL VITAMINS ASPIRIN 81MG
Dawn was AMAZING. Not only was she organized but also so very compassionate during the entire process. She would create a calendar each time and I knew EXACTLY which meds, shots, procedures I needed to do each and every day. There was ZERO guesswork. All I had to do was follow the plan she laid out; and if I had ANY questions or concerns she was Johnny-on-the-spot with answers. I felt her support and compassion all the time. She even has a good sense of humor to-boot! I first saw her in 2014 and just recently now in 2018 I called her with questions and needed support. She remembered EXACTLY who I was (as if no time had passed). I was (not surprised) but I was unbelievably impressed and simply amazed; and, well thankful all at the same time! Needless to say, right after we got off the phone, she took action on my behalf. She really is one in a million!
Describe your experience with Servy Massey Fertility Institute.
Strengths: caring, compassionate, patient, efficient, knowledgeable, communicative, sensitive; an all-around positive experience Weaknesses: they could have been more organized with the billing process (NOTE: that might have changed since I was there.)
I believe between all the meds and the procedures all-in was $18K.
Dr. Massey fully informed my husband and I of the risks of the multiple embryo transfer. Each time we did the procedure we were confident about the number we chose.
2012 - 2014
Dr. Massey is clearly very knowledgeable and experienced. He stays up-to-date on the latest research and clearly cares very deeply about helping his patients. He tends to save IVF for situations that clearly need it - we were ready to move on from IUIs to IVF, and he recommended that we continue with IUIs for several more cycles, and that next IUI was successful, so he saved us quite a large amount of money...At various points throughout my treatment, you could tell that when test results weren't what Dr. Massey had expected, he would rethink his plan and develop a new one, if necessary...
2012 - 2014
How was your experience with Joe Massey at Servy Massey Fertility Institute?
Dr. Massey has an odd sense of humor - he likes to joke and say things no one else would say during the various procedures. It thoroughly entertained my husband and me, but it does help to know that about him going in.
At various points throughout my treatment, you could tell that when test results weren't what Dr. Massey had expected, he would rethink his plan and develop a new one, if necessary. He didn't have a set formula of treating all PCOS patients the same way. In addition, he walked us through the whole process, giving us detailed information all along the way, so that we could actively participate in our treatment plan.
During our IUI cycles, I was treated with Femara and then an Ovidrel trigger shot. During our successful IUI, I was also placed on Metformin (although I wasn't insulin resistant). Two inseminations were performed, each with an injection of ocytocin, followed by two weeks of progesterone suppositories.
Describe your experience with Servy Massey Fertility Institute.
It is a fairly small clinic, so I wasn't assigned to a specific nurse. I generally saw only one or two nurses throughout my treatment period, though. They did very well with individualizing the treatment.
Each IUI cycle was ~$1200. Prior to IUI cycles, when we were doing timed cycles with medication, each ultrasound was billed individually through our insurance.
2012 - 2013
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
The overall strategy [for Dr. Massey] was for me to take some supplements to possibly help produce quality eggs for me because of my age... First retrieval resulted in a negative pregnancy. The next step was to perform the frozen transfer and that resulted in a positive pregnancy...Dr Massey always made me feel very comfortable and went out of his way to make sure I was in the right frame of mind to go through each step of the IVF process. He even made daily phone calls and came in on the weekends if there was something that required his attention. He also made sure my husband was also feeling involved in the process.
2012 - 2013
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Joe Massey at Servy Massey Fertility Institute?
I started out with another facility here in Georgia and because of my age was told the only way I could get pregnant was to use donor eggs. My husband and I decided to get a 2nd opinion and stumbled upon Dr Massey. I don't think I could of gone through this process without him and his staff. He by far has the best bedside manner and was always extremely positive and extremely genuine. He went above and beyond what is expected of a doctor. After our first failed attempt he was there for me. Had a meeting to make sure I was ok and ready for the frozen transfer. We determined that taking a little time off might be best to be in the right frame of mind for the frozen transfer. When it was time to due the frozen he was again there for me every step of the way. After experiencing some complications after the frozen transfer he called to check on me daily to make sure I was doing ok. He even wrote a personal letter to my OBGYN to see me early before the expected time frame they like to see patients. Dr Massey gave me hope when I didn't feel like there was any. He held my hand every step of the way and always made me feel very special and not just another number. Most practices won't even see women over 40 and Dr Massey took the time to educate me and advise me on the most successful way to try and conceive. Without his help, knowledge, and caring I would not have the 4 year old blessing that we call our miracle baby. To this day I still send him messages and pictures and he is always there to respond to my messages.
I would tell them to look at their personal lifestyle meaning the foods and exercise they may be doing and make sure they are the right things for them in terms of trying to conceive. Taking vitamins, etc. I would also recommend reading as much as you can about the process and speaking with others to make sure they are mentally prepared for the emotions you can go through.
Dr Massey and his staff was always very kind and attentive. Dr Massey always made me feel very comfortable and went out of his way to make sure I was in the right frame of mind to go through each step of the IVF process. He even made daily phone calls and came in on the weekends if there was something that required his attention. He also made sure my husband was also feeling involved in the process.
The overall strategy was for me to take some supplements to possibly help produce quality eggs for me because of my age. My husband also had to undergo a sperm retrieval as well. Once the sperm retrieval was successful we moved on to the hormone producing shots and then the retrieval of eggs. After that ICSI was performed and the implantation was performed. First retrieval resulted in a negative pregnancy. The next step was to perform the frozen transfer and that resulted in a positive pregnancy.
The nursing staff was extremely helpful. They sat down with my husband and I and went through how to take the shots. They explained all numbers that were given during tests. Made the appropriate phone calls to schedule appointments and answered any questions I may have had in a timely fashion.
Describe your experience with Servy Massey Fertility Institute.
This clinic is by far the best. I had visited 2 other practices beforehand. This clinic I feel like genuinely wants to help individuals get pregnant. First of all the pricing for their procedures are the most competitive out there. The knowledge that the Doctors have in this practice are also extremely impressive. I feel they are very realistic in terms of your probability and I don't feel like they would do anything at all just to run up the fertility cost.
2010 - 2012
None, Unexplained
Dr. Massey was so open and welcoming to my partner and me....As a not very feminine queer woman (lesbian) I am always apprehensive before I go to the doctor as I worry I may be met with homophobia or ignorance...He never made me feel like I didn't belong and he never made me feel like I had to educate him on who we are as a couple. When we finally got pregnant (my partner) I truly felt like he was celebrating with us...He was sweet and funny and really positive with me. I did IUI and IVF with him and it didn't work BUT my partner did an IUI with him and got pregnant with our son!
2010 - 2012
None, Unexplained
How was your experience with Joe Massey at Servy Massey Fertility Institute?
As a not very feminine queer woman (lesbian) I am always apprehensive before I go to the doctor as I worry I may be met with homophobia or ignorance. Dr. Massey was so open and welcoming to my partner and me. He never made me feel like I didn't belong and he never made me feel like I had to educate him on who we are as a couple. When we finally got pregnant (my partner) I truly felt like he was celebrating with us. We felt lucky to have him on our baby-making team.
Stay engaged in the process and be patient. Making a baby is actually pretty hard and it might take longer than you anticipated. Be open to the possibilities an be honest with him about your expectations and limitations.
By the time I got to Dr. Massey I had been trying for years to get pregnant and was very disheartened. He was sweet and funny and really positive with me. I did IUI and IVF with him and it didn't work BUT my partner did an IUI with him and got pregnant with our son! We have remained in touch after the birth of our son and continue to send Dr. Massey and his staff pictures. We see them as part of our family.
Oh geez, it was a while ago. I tried some IUIs with all kinds of drugs and that didn't work so then we did IVF with him running the clinical side here in Atlanta and Dr. Servy doing the IVF in Augusta. Even though that didn't work, it was still a great experience. Everyone was amazing and nice.
We remember Dawn the most. She would always see us and say "hey girls" and then catch us up on what was happening in her life. She was a great nurse and a real cheerleader for us as we tried to get pregnant.
Describe your experience with Servy Massey Fertility Institute.
In general I think it was a great group of people. They moved locations from when I was trying to get pregnant to when my partner was trying and I think the new place was a bit fancier than the other one, but as long as it is clean, I don't really care about fancy. I wish everything wasn't so far outside the perimeter (we live in Decatur) but I get that that is where the hospitals and money are.
All I remember is that Servy Massey was the only IVF we could afford. We still had to re-finance our house to pay for it but it was the only place within reach and that is why they will always have a special place in my heart. I think they understand that not everyone who wants to/has to have a kid through reproductive technology is rich. I really appreciate their inclusivity.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
They [Dr. Massey and staff] took their time explaining everything in detail, answered questions we wouldn't have known to ask, and we never felt like we were being pushed out the door or that we were bothering them with questions.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Be prepared for someone a little goofy. You'll appreciate it later.
With Dr. Massey and the team at SMFI, we saw the same doctors and nurses, they knew our names, our situation, without having to look at the chart. They took their time explaining everything in detail, answered questions we wouldn't have known to ask, and we never felt like we were being pushed out the door or that we were bothering them with questions.
The nurses at SMFI always knew our case and who we were without having to look at a chart.