Medical SchoolU. of Witwatersrand
ResidencyHarvard
FellowshipBaylor
16 E. 40th Street
212-679-2289
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Joel Batzofin to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend New York Fertility Services to a friend?
Dr. Batzofin was kind, compassionate and flexible in his approach to our infertility. From what I could research, he followed all the proper protocols and was always willing to change course when we were unsuccessful. I greatly appreciated his willingness to listen to my preferences and incorporate changes to our next steps. I did feel he was too quick to suggest surrogacy in our case...Dr. Batzofin really takes the time to know his patients. I very much felt like we were on a team
How was your experience with Joel Batzofin at New York Fertility Services?
Dr. Batzofin was kind, compassionate and flexible in his approach to our infertility. From what I could research, he followed all the proper protocols and was always willing to change course when we were unsuccessful. I greatly appreciated his willingness to listen to my preferences and incorporate changes to our next steps. I did feel he was too quick to suggest surrogacy in our case (after only one or two failed transfers). I am currently pregnant after the 4th embryo transfer, and so ultimately we have the result we wanted. I am not sure whether I would have gotten pregnant quicker with a different clinic, but I highly doubt I would have received the same level of service and attention.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joel Batzofin at New York Fertility Services?
I think I was very naive at the beginning of our infertility treatments and thought that IVF would work the very first time. I would suggest that a patient take the time to educate themselves on the process and likelihood of success. I would also suggest that new patients be very vocal in their preferences. Dr. Batzofin's success rates are not as high as other clinics in NYC, but he is also willing to take on patients that other clinics would turn away.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joel Batzofin at New York Fertility Services?
Because NYFS is a small boutique clinic, Dr. Batzofin really takes the time to know his patients. I very much felt like we were on a team and he wanted me to get pregnant almost as badly as I did. The front desk team and the nursing staff were also incredibly warm, friendly and compassionate. I can't say enough nice things about the people that work at NYFS.
Describe the protocols Joel Batzofin used in your cycles at New York Fertility Services and their degree of success.
For my IVF egg retrieval, we used the Lupron Long Down-Regulation Protocol, which I believe is the more traditional approach. (In general, Dr. Batzofin tends to favor more traditional approaches, but is open to trying new methods if the patient wishes.) I produced 15 eggs, 13 of which fertilized, 9 reached the cleavage stage, and 8 reached the blastocyst stage. We transferred one fresh embryo and froze the rest. Three months later I had an unsuccessful medicated FET using lupron, estrogen and progesterone suppositories. Two months after that we tried immunosuppressive therapy (blood thinners, steroids and intralipids) and had another unsuccessful medicated FET (lupron, estrogen and progesterone injections). Finally, two months later I requested an endometrial scratch and a natural FET (no lupron, monitoring natural ovulation and then supporting with low-dose estrogen and progesterone suppositories) and we transferred two embryos. This resulted in a successful singleton pregnancy. Two of our embryos did not survive the thawing process during our last transfer, which has given me some concerns over the quality of the lab. We now only have one frozen blastocyst remaining from the original 8.
I really enjoyed the nursing staff at NYFS. They were incredibly personal, understanding and sweet. I was sad to say goodbye to them when I graduated from the clinic. Suzette was a treasure - by far the best nurse I've ever had anywhere at drawing blood with no pain!! Sanella was also very sweet and competent. There was another nurse whom I liked very much, Jocelyn, but she left abruptly and I was never sure why.
Describe your experience with New York Fertility Services.
All in all I was very happy with NYFS. Dr. Batzofin is very knowledgeable, compassionate and flexible - and his staff reflect this mentality. There was some turnover during the 10 months I was there, which led me to believe that there may have been some personality issues going on in the background, but as a patient I never saw any indication of this. The front desk team was very kind and patient. The clinic also has very reasonable negotiated rates with insurance companies, which helps stretch your coverage further than at other clinics. I also thought the Lab Director John Scodras and the cryopreservation specialist Schennella were wonderful to work with, although I am a little shaky on how two of our highly graded embryos arrested during the same thawing process (but I know that this happens and is often out of the lab's control). I think that ultimately, and perhaps unfairly, clinics get judged by their results. We went through 7 embryos in order to get one successful pregnancy. But we did get a successful pregnancy, which at the end of the day is what really matters. And so I think NYFS certainly has its strengths and weaknesses, like all clinics, but if you're looking for highly personalized care at a more reasonable cost, then it's absolutely a great option.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joel Batzofin at New York Fertility Services.
We were very fortunate to have Oxford Freedom insurance, which covered a $10,000 lifetime max plus fertility meds. Because NYFS has reasonable negotiated rates with Oxford, our one egg retrieval, one fresh embryo transfer, and 3 frozen embryo transfers were covered under the LTM, as were the medications. There were a number of extra associated costs, such as cryopreservation and storage, co-payments and fees, but those probably totaled around $4,000-$5,000 total. Unfortunately, we have hit our LTM, so everything from here on out will be out of pocket. NYFS's self-pay rates appear to be similar to most other NY clinics (i.e., very expensive).
Describe Joel Batzofin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New York Fertility Services.
Given my age (33) and quality of the blastocysts, my doctor preferred transferring single embryos, however he was very supportive of transferring more if I had felt very strongly about it. Ultimately, we transferred two embryos that resulted in my current singleton pregnancy.
New York Fertility Services
Dr.batzofin was very polite and respectful I felt very comfortable he answered all of my questions and concerns...He is a very compassionate doctor, very respectful and polite made me feel very comfortable he answered all my questions and concerns received my results for me and my spouse fast...My spouse had 2 semen analysis and blood work.. the first analysis wasn’t good the second one was ok and the blood work results were good
How was your experience with Joel Batzofin at New York Fertility Services?
He is a very compassionate doctor, very respectful and polite made me feel very comfortable he answered all my questions and concerns received my results for me and my spouse fast , unfortunately I didn’t continue to go through with ivf process because funds are low and I didn’t want to do iui because of my diagnosis (PCOS,recurrent miscarriages and incompetence cervix
If you want a baby and you have the funds and it’s hard to conceive on your own without treatment go through the process with Dr.Joel Batzofin he cares about all his patients
I did consultation and work up for me and my spouse..I had all of my up to date information so he just reviewed and and explained to me the protocol he would take . My spouse had 2 semen analysis and blood work.. the first analysis wasn’t good the second one was ok and the blood work results were good
Describe your experience with your nurse at New York Fertility Services. (Assigned nurse: Teresa Randolph )
Teresa answered the phone a lot she gave me my results on time if I didn’t understand something she took the time to explain and made sure I understood
Describe your experience with New York Fertility Services.
Very clean office, staff are very polite and friendly u will feel very comfortable. If u have any questions make sure u write them down so u can have all of them answered . Dr. Batzofin makes sure his patients understand everything and he is very compassionate
Under $1,000
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
Each failure has been an experience where we learned something about an unseen issue; what I see as part of the process. He [Dr. Joel Batzofin] responds to email nights and weekends, and puts me at ease... He is all about getting to the problem instead of the typical line of treatment (e.g. clomid, IUI, etc). He knows our barriers are all different and treats you as though you are his only patient...He was extremely involved and cared deeply for our results, really wanting to get us over the finish line.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
How was your experience with Joel Batzofin at New York Fertility Services?
Dr. B was recommended to me by a friend who went through many docs. He is all about getting to the problem instead of the typical line of treatment (e.g. clomid, IUI, etc). He knows our barriers are all different and treats you as though you are his only patient. Each failure has been an experience where we learned something about an unseen issue; what I see as part of the process. He responds to email nights and weekends, and puts me at ease. I would highly recommend Dr. B and his staff!
Be prepared to get away from the normal infertility script. He has a method to it all!
They even cried with me. Suzette and the gals are the best.
Describe your experience with New York Fertility Services.
Medications move fast and furious. I wish they ordered them sooner than later.
Covered by insurance
ICSI with multiple embryo transfers
What specific things went wrong at New York Fertility Services?
2013
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Once it was discovered that I should be on HRT, they were not communicative on their choice as to why my medication and dosages were appropriate for me. Additionally, they seemed to no longer be interested in supporting me in treatment when it became apparent that I may need donor eggs.
2013
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
What specific things went wrong at New York Fertility Services?