Fertility First

Nurse available by emailDoctor, Nurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolE. Virginia Med
ResidencyMed U of S. Carolina
FellowshipU of CA - SD
6420 Dutchman’s Pkwy
Louisville, KY 40205
502-749-6420
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Johanna S. Archer to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Fertility First to a friend?
2014 - 2017
Endometriosis, PCOS
Dr Archer didn't speak with typical medical jargon. She spoke to us in terms we understood and explained everything in detail. My family has a history of ovarian/breast cancer and she has also encouraged me for the BRCA test. She's more than a doctor, she cares about her patients... We took a year off but dr Archer never gave up on us!...Dr Archer found I had scar tissue that had damaged my tubes from and appendectomy 15 years prior to seeing her. (Something my obgyn missed in the laporoscopy she preformed for what she had merely diagnosed endometriosis). Dr Archer did another laporoscopy with the help of another doctor who she felt would greatly assist in "fixing" my tubes and with ovarian drilling.
2014 - 2017
Endometriosis, PCOS
How was your experience with Johanna S. Archer at Fertility and Endocrine Associates?
Dr Archer speaks quickly, so she can be hard to follow at times. However, she takes her time with you and explains things thoroughly. Your success is her goal and she will do the research and make any changes necessary to adjust to your needs. She's also proactive with the latest studies. We love her and will go to her again when we are ready to use our frozen embryos!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Johanna S. Archer at Fertility and Endocrine Associates?
Ask questions! She's super open and a wealth of knowledge.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Johanna S. Archer at Fertility and Endocrine Associates?
Describe the protocols Johanna S. Archer used in your cycles at Fertility and Endocrine Associates and their degree of success.
Dr Archer found I had scar tissue that had damaged my tubes from and appendectomy 15 years prior to seeing her. (Something my obgyn missed in the laporoscopy she preformed for what she had merely diagnosed endometriosis). Dr Archer did another laporoscopy with the help of another doctor who she felt would greatly assist in "fixing" my tubes and with ovarian drilling. We took a year off but dr Archer never gave up on us!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility and Endocrine Associates. (Assigned nurse: Amanda and Trish )
Trish and amanda knew us by name and our situation when we walked in the door. Yes they had our chart, but they know their patients as individuals. They even remember the personal details not related that you discuss in conversation. Needless to say, they'll be getting lots of pictures and updates in our family future!
Describe your experience with Fertility and Endocrine Associates.
The clinic is made up of Dr Archer, Amanda, Trish and the nurse practitioner. Everything I've shared previous to this describes it all! It's small and we loved that.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Johanna S. Archer at Fertility and Endocrine Associates.
Our insurance covers nothing for fertility. Dr Archer adjusts for this.
Describe Johanna S. Archer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility and Endocrine Associates.
Statistics showed that with 2 transfer, we had a 65% chance of success with 45% chance of twins, vs 1 transfer at only 45% chance of success. She gave us the statistics and left it completely up to us.
Fertility and Endocrine Associates
Louisville
Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
I think that Dr. Archer did what she thought was right for us, but it didn't work. I wonder if we would be more successful with a different set of eyes looking at the situation. She always seemed to care about us, but we repeatedly the same process over and over and over.... We tried ovulation stimulating medications (Clomid & Letrozole) with intercourse. Then we tried ovulation stimulating medications with IUI. Then we tried injectable ovulation stimulating medications with IUI. Then we moved on to IVF. We did over two years with medications and IUI until we moved to IVF.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Johanna S. Archer at Fertility First?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Johanna S. Archer at Fertility First?
Be your own advocate and if you want to try something else push for it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Johanna S. Archer at Fertility First?
Every time I went to the office, Dr. Archer and her staff recognized me and called me by name.
Describe the protocols Johanna S. Archer used in your cycles at Fertility First and their degree of success.
This is a small office. I'm not sure if the staff was a nursing staff or office staff. Dr. Archer did all the medical procedures, except those related to IVF. I went to an office in Evansville to the IVF, even though I was technically Dr. Archer's patient.
Describe your experience with Fertility First.
It is a small office. That is nice when you think about how well people get to know you. However, since it is so small, I hated that I had to go somewhere else for the IVF. That procedure was so grueling emotionally and physically that it was difficult to go so far away and work with so many new people.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility First.
This was an easy experience. I was always given a window in which to make an individual appointment. I was always seen individually and discretely.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Johanna S. Archer at Fertility First.
Dr. Archer's office was GREAT with billing. That was probably the best thing about their office.
Describe Johanna S. Archer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility First.
No comments.
Endometriosis, PCOS
she [Dr. Archer] seems to spread herself too thin with too many patients. Our appointments with her rarely lasted more than 5-10 minutes, and she seemed to rush through the information and plan for the next step. Even after seeing her multiple times a month for over a year, she always had to review my chart during appointments like she didn't remember me... She seems very dedicated to helping people have the children that they desire so badly, and is very flexible with scheduling and payment.
How was your experience with Johanna S. Archer at Fertility First?
My overall experience with Dr. Archer was that she genuinely loves what she does and wants to help everyone she can. She seems very dedicated to helping people have the children that they desire so badly, and is very flexible with scheduling and payment. And my husband and I would like to go back to her when we get in a position to afford IVF. That being said, she seems to spread herself too thin with too many patients. Our appointments with her rarely lasted more than 5-10 minutes, and she seemed to rush through the information and plan for the next step. Even after seeing her multiple times a month for over a year, she always had to review my chart during appointments like she didn't remember me. I know it's hard for a doctor to keep up with all the details of every patient's treatment, but it felt a little more impersonal than this process should feel.
Ask questions, get her to slow down when she's explaining things to you so you completely understand your treatment, and be open and honest with her about what you want and what your limitations are (financial, physical, emotional).
Dr. Archer seems to genuinely care about her work and her patients. However, she does tend to rush through appointments and keep her eyes on the chart unless you stop her to talk or ask questions.
My first cycle, we used Clomid and Dr. Archer monitored follicle growth with ultrasounds every few days. She increased the dosage as we went if she wasn't seeing the growth she needed to see. After Clomid was not effective, we switched to Femera and followed the same strategies of monitoring follicle growth with ultrasounds and increasing the dosage as we went if needed. When at least 2 follicles reached the right size, we did a trigger shot to make me ovulate, and then timed intercourse. After 3 cycles of this not being effective, we moved to Femera with a trigger shot and IUI. The second cycle resulted in a chemical pregnancy. After the 3rd cycle failed, we decided to take a break from treatments.
Since it is a very small office, the same staff was there most of the time. One of the nurses was friendly and always remembered me. The other nurse was somewhat abrasive in personality and seemed to get annoyed easily by patients.
Describe your experience with Fertility First.
This is a very small office, as Dr. Archer is the only doctor. That can make it feel very personalized at times. However, it doesn't feel as private as it should. It's hard not to hear what's going on with other patients who are being seen before you, and there's no separate entrance or exit for men who are, ahem, giving their samples....so it can be very awkward and, I'm sure, embarrassing for the men.
Around $1000 per IUI cycle
2012 - 2013
She [Dr. Archer] was caring, understanding, informative, she listened and provided her feedback with our best interest at hand. NEVER did we feel like a number in her office...The 2nd cycle we use letrozol and Follistim. The same as before she seen us in the office several times and more frequently closer to ovulation time and adjust meds as necessary. We also used progesterone with both cycles. The 2nd cycle resulted in a full term pregnancy.
2012 - 2013
How was your experience with Johanna S. Archer at Fertility First?
I cannot say enough nice things about her. She was caring, understanding, informative, she listened and provided her feedback with our best interest at hand. NEVER did we feel like a number in her office. We wholeheartly believe she's the reason for us being parents.
Talk to her. Tell her how you feel. Always ask question. Never be afraid to say what you need/want because you are your own advocate on this journey.
She was wonderful, made us feel like we were her main priority. She always gave her condolences when the result was not what we were hoping for.
We used letrozol on the 1st cycle with her and she seen us in the office several time during the cycle and more frequent closer to ovulation time. This time resulted in pregnancy but ended in a miscarriage at around 6 week. The 2nd cycle we use letrozol and Follistim. The same as before she seen us in the office several times and more frequently closer to ovulation time and adjust meds as necessary. We also used progesterone with both cycles. The 2nd cycle resulted in a full term pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility First.
At the time of us seeing Dr Archer she had a very small office staff. But her staff was always respectful, polite and if you called with questions were always helpful
Describe your experience with Fertility First.
At the time of us going to her clinic it was small but clean, neat, and calming. Everyone worked together for us.
I remember the IUI being around $450 per cycle. Meds cost about $500. Somethings were covered by our insurance due to having met our deductible for the year.
Endometriosis, PCOS
Dr. Archer would call personally to talk to us about any results we were waiting on. ...She was always available, day or night. It feels very personal with her and I always know she cares....She is the only Dr. in the office, so you know who you are dealing with every time...We started with IUI's due to me having endometriosis...Dr. Archer was very cost effective. She truly understands how financially straining fertility treatments can be...She always took the time to explain things, especially when we didn't understand the first time; she never seemed frustrated with us.
How was your experience with Johanna S. Archer at Fertility First?
Dr. Archer would call personally to talk to us about any results we were waiting on. She always took the time to explain things, especially when we didn't understand the first time; she never seemed frustrated with us.
We started with clomid and IUI and switched to letrozole with IUI. We started with IUI's due to me having endometriosis. We then moved to injectables as my body started to grow and immunity to clomid and letrozole. Lastly, we moved to IVF. We had 5 day 5 embryos and we transferred 2 embryos in January of 2016, resulting in a negative pregnancy test. Then in June of 2016 we did another transfer of 2 embryos, but this time we added "egg glue" which resulted in a pregnancy. Twins, well one vanishing twin. I ended up miscarrying a few weeks later. Nothing was found wrong with the embryos after my D&C. Possible blood clotting disorder but I had inconclusive results form that test. One remaining frozen embryo waits for us.
They treated me like a friend. Always knew me by name, even when I called, they knew my voice.
Describe your experience with Fertility First.
small office, may take time to get your first appointment
Dr. Archer would only agree to transferring two embryos at a time.
Fertility - Louisville
Dr. Archer and her staff got to know us over the year that we sought treatment. Always easy to talk to -- never felt uncomfortable...She was easy to talk to and explained everything very clearly. She had very positive outlooks on us, but we never achieved a pregnancy with her. However, now that we have moved onto another clinic, they've assessed that our protocol during IVF was so low as to be considered a placebo level...
How was your experience with Johanna S. Archer at Fertility First?
Great bedside manner. She was easy to talk to and explained everything very clearly. She had very positive outlooks on us, but we never achieved a pregnancy with her. However, now that we have moved onto another clinic, they've assessed that our protocol during IVF was so low as to be considered a placebo level.
Nothing.
For our IUI cycles, we tried one round of Clomid and three rounds of Letrozole. All were also accompanied by patches to increase my lining and progesterone after the fact. For our IVF cycle, we used a combination of Follistim and Cetritide, with a Pregnyl trigger.
Both nurses in the office were easy to talk to and very responsive to phone calls and emails. We actually miss seeing/talking to them.
Describe your experience with Fertility First.
It is a solo-practice, so if Dr. Archer goes out of town (very rarely), your cycle might have to be adjusted.
Very reasonable. I don't remember the exact number.
She presented us with nationwide guidelines on transfer and said that it was up to us to either transfer one or two. However, after retrieval, with only 2 embryos reaching Day 3, she recommended transferring both.
Fertility - Louisville
I felt like Dr. Archer explained everything in detail to my understanding. She always explained the levels of the blood draws- always adjusted levels as we went along. When our cycle failed, she seemed very compassionate.... She covered all the bases that I needed and wanted to know about. I felt as if I could reach out to her if I was having issues/questions. The only thing I would e changed is the outcome of our cycle.
How was your experience with Johanna S. Archer at Fertility First?
I would recommend Dr. Archer. She covered all the bases that I needed and wanted to know about. I felt as if I could reach out to her if I was having issues/questions. The only thing I would e changed is the outcome of our cycle.
Dr. Archer was very compassionate about our failed IVF cycle.
It seemed as if Dr. Archer’s nurses had a high turnover or there were just different faces. Some were pleasant, some acted as if they had no idea what they were doing. The one that seemed to not know what she was doing wasn’t there long. Overall, they were pleasant.
Describe your experience with Fertility First.
I went to two different clinics- Dr. Archer did not to the egg retrieval or embryo transfer. That was completed in Evansville, In. The clinic in Evansville was very nice, up to date, very friendly atmosphere and staff. I felt as if I was in great care in evansville. Dr. Archer’s office was very nice as well. It was a basic doctors office.
Egg retrieval/ embryo transfer $8,000 Dr. Archer’s services- $1,500. Medications $2,200
We were allowed to transfer up to two embryos.
2014 - 2018
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor
She [Dr. Archer] is very knowledgeable, took time to answer my questions. Personally called me back with my test results. She was always prepare to answer questions. Always nice and helpful. I would highly recommend her.... We tried so many different protocols over almost 5 years.... Very helpful stuff. Dr. Archer personally called with test results.
2014 - 2018
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor
How was your experience with Johanna S. Archer at Fertility First?
She is very knowledgeable, took time to answer my questions. Personally called me back with my test results. She was always prepare to answer questions. Always nice and helpful. I would highly recommend her.
Very helpful stuff. Dr. Archer personally called with test results.
We tried so many different protocols over almost 5 years.
Dr. Archer stuff is very professional and very nice.
Describe your experience with Fertility First.
Great place, open very early. Dr. Archer was always trying to accomodate more convenient time for me for my appointments. Stuff is great, nice. Unfortunately they don't have facility to do retrievals and transfers, only monitoring and iuis. They have agreement with boston ivf Indiana for retrieval and transfers.
Reasonable cost
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Other
[Dr. Archer is a...] Good doctor. Works solo in the clinic 7 days a week as needed. Support staff is not much support. Miscommunications were mostly due to receptionist error...
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Johanna S. Archer at Fertility First?
Take notes. Ask questions. Double check all appointments and dosages.
They get me in and out which I like. Normally there is not much waiting in the waiting room.
Oral meds and suppositories for all iuis, all negative results. Follistim, ganrilex, Lupron, progesterone, Estrace for IVF, negative result.
Not organized or on same page with each other and sometimes the doctor.