7.2

9817 N 95th Street
Scottsdale, AZ 85258
602-765-2229

Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. C.[Couvaras] first focused on getting my hormones and levels balanced. ... Dr. C. is the best at what he does, trying to figure out the underlying problem. He doesn't just pump you full of hormones and assume you'll get pregnant. He first looks at you and your history to understand what it going on. ... Dr. C. is very "to the point", which in some cases is nice.
The clinic [IVF Phoenix] is always clean well cared for. There is always water and granola bars for you which is a nice touch. They have TVs in the waiting room and plenty of magazines. Having 2 locations has saved us 100s of miles! ... The billing and financial side of the clinic is a little frustrating. The last thing any women in there wants is to have to worry about paying her bill or wondering if insurance will cover anything (let's be serious, it won't).
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
Dr. C. is the best at what he does, trying to figure out the underlying problem. He doesn't just pump you full of hormones and assume you'll get pregnant. He first looks at you and your history to understand what it going on. We have gone through 2 iui cycles with Dr. C. Haven't had any luck yet but he still seems hopeful. We are taking some time off to save up for IVF, our last option before surrogacy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
Be as mentally prepared as you can be. There wont be much emotional or mental support. Have a strong support system outside of the medical field. Follow exactly what doc says, with diet, exercise and supplements. It all adds up.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
Dr. C. is very "to the point", which in some cases is nice. My husband and I dont want to waste anymore time trying to get pregnant, so his straight forward approach and demeanor is appreciated. There are also the days when I am overly emotional and just want a little emotional support as well, and that is a little more hard to find, from any doctor I think.
Describe the protocols John Couvaras used in your cycles at IVF Phoenix and their degree of success.
Dr. C. first focused on getting my hormones and levels balanced. This was simply taking his suggested supplements and doing frequent blood tests. That was the east part. We then moved into an iui cycle with clomid, menopur and heprin. This cycle resulted in what appeared to be a fertilized embryo but failed to implant. We then tried another iui cycle but with more menopur. This cycle had no results. Our next step will be ivf with pgs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Phoenix. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
The staff was great at explaining what the next steps were in our plan. They were always great about explaining and demonstrating how to use a new drug or injection. They were always helpful about planning appointments and working around our schedule. The billing and financial side of the clinic is a little frustrating. The last thing any women in there wants is to have to worry about paying her bill or wondering if insurance will cover anything (let's be serious, it won't). I wish there was a way to separate the financial part of all this. When I go in to get a procedure done, I am stressed enough.
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
The clinic is always clean well cared for. There is always water and granola bars for you which is a nice touch. They have TVs in the waiting room and plenty of magazines. Having 2 locations has saved us 100s of miles!
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix.
The cost for the actual iui procedure were about $350, which is nothing compared to all the labs, medications, and shots. Office visits were around $100 which also was not bad as we only saw the doctor for the actual procedure and a consultation after the iuis failed.
Mesa
Treated 2018 - 2019
The clinic [IVF Pheonix- Scottsdale] has two locations which is convenient. You are able to text them if you have a simple question and they reply promptly. The clinic is nice and feels professional yet welcoming. For the initial consultation the wait was a little bit, but following appointments I only waited about 10 minutes at the most.... They [the nurses] are good in person, but struggle to explain everything in depth. Sometimes I wasn’t supposed to be taking a medication anymore yet I was never told until I had to ask. They didn’t tell me to bring the mix for my trigger shot so I had to mix it on my own and hope I did it correctly.
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
Dr Couvaras is very helpful and looking for underlying issues that are causing infertility. He tested many different deficiencies, genetics, and problems that could be affecting my ability to get pregnant. He did this before starting any treatments, making me feel like I didn’t have a cookie cutter plan for me. Once test results were back he sat down with my husband and I and explained everything at a level we could understand. He used metaphors to explain how the ovulation process works and why mine wasn’t. He truly treats you individually! We don’t have results from our first TIC with clomid yet, but we feel positive.
He took the time to talk about me individually and not generalize my infertility. He sat down and went over my history from when I started my cycle. He really got to know me to see what was causing ME infertility
Clomid-50 mg for 3 days and 25 mg for 2 days. Heparin injections twice a day from day 3 to ovulation. Vitamin D, Folic Acid, B6, L-arginine Steroid medication after trigger shot Trigger shot on day 15 with a low dose of trigger 2 days leading up to trigger
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at IVF Phoenix.
They are good in person, but struggle to explain everything in depth. Sometimes I wasn’t supposed to be taking a medication anymore yet I was never told until I had to ask. They didn’t tell me to bring the mix for my trigger shot so I had to mix it on my own and hope I did it correctly.
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
The clinic has two locations which is convenient. You are able to text them if you have a simple question and they reply promptly. The clinic is nice and feels professional yet welcoming. For the initial consultation the wait was a little bit, but following appointments I only waited about 10 minutes at the most.
$175 for doctors visit Original consultation cost? Blood work? $375 intralipid infusion
What specific things went wrong at IVF Phoenix?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at IVF Phoenix.
The heparin was not called into the pharmacy until I told them I did not have it and should’ve been starting it the next day. I was taking a pill for prolactin and was not told to stop taking it until I questioned it. I had prescriptions for menopur and a trigger called in and then I was just told I needed them. Not why but that I needed to get them “in case”. The total was $555 so I would’ve like a little more explanation considering I didn’t use one.
Scottsdale

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix.

The initial consultation was almost an hour. Dr Couvaras was very detailed in our initial consultation. Since the first consultation there have been some mistakes that have made us feel less human and like we didn’t matter as much because we are not doing IVF right away... looks into way more then just the basics my other RE looked at. He looks at inflammation and immune response for a well rounded approach. I do feel like he could have more of a warm bedside manner especially when explaining set backs.
The staff [at IVF Phoenix] have all been very nice; however, I did notice that after the one month of treatment when we were preparing for our IUI mistakes were made. I was told to take several medications when I needed to stop them. Another big example is a prior authorization that was supposed to be started so I could take medication on a specific date after our IUI. It was never started and there were no answers as to why...The clinic is very caring and Dr. Couvaras and his wife are dedicated to helping others achieve their dream of a baby in their arms. The clinic does struggle with detail and some organization, but it is a very nice office and then do respond in a timely manner.
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
Dr. Couvaras is very detailed and looks into way more then just the basics my other RE looked at. He looks at inflammation and immune response for a well rounded approach. I do feel like he could have more of a warm bedside manner especially when explaining set backs.
Be prepared for a detailed regimen including exercise and diet and do everything he tells you to a T.
Dr. Couvaras initially started me on Heaparin injections twice daily do to a small clotting factor he found. I also showed a marker for HSV6 virus that he was concerned about so I was taking high doses of Acyclovir in addition to lovestatin and other vitamin supplements. He believed that my immune system was trying to fight something off. I was also out on an anti-histamine diet and specific excercise regimen (between 3-7pm heat rate 140’s). This was for two months leading up to our IUI. We are still pending IUI results.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at IVF Phoenix.
The staff have all been very nice; however, I did notice that after the one month of treatment when we were preparing for our IUI mistakes were made. I was told to take several medications when I needed to stop them. Another big example is a prior authorization that was supposed to be started so I could take medication on a specific date after our IUI. It was never started and there were no answers as to why.
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
Our insurance is contracted with this office so after we hit our deductible it was covered by 95%!
What specific things went wrong at IVF Phoenix?
Treated 2005 - 2012
I have been known to describe John Guevara says that used car salesman of infertility doctors. He is extremely Cocky and Confident, and unafraid to try crazy and untested things in his pursuit of your pregnancy. He's a little unconventional, but he gets results.... Dr. Couvares will recommend you use Heparin to build better uterine lining using this blood thinner. Be aware that it is a calcium robber and we ended up with 22% bone loss at the end of two years of treatment. So in my early 30s, I had osteopenia at a time when I should have had the highest bone density a young person should have.
As our infertility procedures were 18 years ago, I cannot speak to the current operation of the clinic [IVF Phoenix-Scottsdale]. When we saw dr. John, he ran a pretty shoestring operation and had a fair amount of turnover amongst the staff.... Protocols I remember being treated for antisperm antibodies and using another man's DNA to desensitize me in what I thought was a crazy scheme. We completed 3 fresh Cycles in a year. All or IVF with ICSI. He threw a lot of spaghetti at the wall trying various techniques after our first cycle was unsuccessful. we were able to freeze a number of embryos from the star cycle, but because we had purchased a package plan, we continued with the remaining two fresh Cycles before attempting any Frozen's
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
Dr. Couvaras built a custom plan just for us, based on our medical conditions and our desire for a child.
I remember being treated for antisperm antibodies and using another man's DNA to desensitize me in what I thought was a crazy scheme. We completed 3 fresh Cycles in a year. All or IVF with ICSI. He threw a lot of spaghetti at the wall trying various techniques after our first cycle was unsuccessful. we were able to freeze a number of embryos from the star cycle, but because we had purchased a package plan, we continued with the remaining two fresh Cycles before attempting any Frozen's.The next two Fresh Cycles resulted in a miscarriage and negative pregnancy test. What worked for us was the Frozen transfer of the embryos left over from the first successful retrieval.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at IVF Phoenix.
As our infertility treatments or 18 years ago, I cannot speak to the specifics of the nursing staff.
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
As our infertility procedures were 18 years ago, I cannot speak to the current operation of the clinic. When we saw dr. John, he ran a pretty shoestring operation and had a fair amount of turnover amongst the staff.
18 years ago, we bought a package of three fresh cycles and all the frozen's we could complete until our frozen embryos were used up. The catch was the three fresh Cycles had to be used in the first 12 months. My recollection is we spent about $25, 000.
Scottsdale

[Dr. Couvaras is] Super intelligent, clearly an expert in his field. Has a very unique methodology, lots of supplements and medications, but I always knew there was a reason behind it all. I saw him often and when I had questions, he scheduled an additional appointment just to talk... I was on Heparin, a blood thinner, to help with blood flow and get things moving. All sorts of vitamins and supplements, to encourage healthy cells and oxygenation. Lower carb intake and increased protein intake daily
[Nursing Staff IVF Phoenix] Super helpful when I have a million questions! I would email sometimes multiple times a day, and they would answer!... Supplements were out of pocket, and probably $150/Month. Clomid, trigger shot, and progesterone during IUI cycle we’re around $900, IUI was $395... Sometimes you’re making multiple appointments weekly, for blood tests or ultrasounds. I always feel well taken care of, and since I’m on such a precise regimen, you are checked on super routinely
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
Be prepared to adjust your lifestyle!
I was able to ask questions round the clock, via their patient portal and text
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
It’s a lot of work, daily pills, injections, protein intake, etc. Sometimes you’re making multiple appointments weekly, for blood tests or ultrasounds. I always feel well taken care of, and since I’m on such a precise regimen, you are checked on super routinely
Most medications were covered, and appointments, by insurance. All labs and blood tests were covered as well. Supplements were out of pocket, and probably $150/Month. Clomid, trigger shot, and progesterone during IUI cycle we’re around $900, IUI was $395