7.3

602.765.2229
9817 N 95th Street
Scottsdale, AZ 85258
602-765-2229

Dr. Couvaras took the time to acknowledge how difficult this journey has been for me to date, then started with my medical history from the beginning to get a complete picture of all of the events leading up to our first appointment. He was direct while also showing compassion...takes the time to really dive into the etiology of your infertility. I have some medical knowledge, but he did not gloss over the details or make me feel rushed when I asked questions. He listened to my concerns/suggestions and always provided the rationale behind his decision making.
Although most information is uploaded into the patient portal [at IVF Phoenix], I found that many verbal instructions were not otherwise put in print (or if they were, they were not readily accessible to me). This resulted in multiple phone calls to clarify (rare, but could be time consuming). There were also a couple of occasions that medications were supposed to be called in to my pharmacy and were not; however this was quickly fixed with a phone call.
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
Dr. Couvaras takes the time to really dive into the etiology of your infertility. I have some medical knowledge, but he did not gloss over the details or make me feel rushed when I asked questions. He listened to my concerns/suggestions and always provided the rationale behind his decision making.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
Bring a notepad! Also, a lot of the staff seem to be somewhat fluid in their roles in the clinic—try not to get frustrated, someone could always find an answer to my question (even if it was a different person than I expected).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
Describe the protocols John Couvaras used in your cycles at IVF Phoenix and their degree of success.
Prior to IVF, he used an FSH suppression protocol for a minimum of 120 days, consisting of vaginal estrace and DHEA; doses were adjusted based on weekly labs. The rationale was to (hopefully) recruit a cohort of follicles to improve my antral follicle count. For the IVF cycle he planned for an antagonist protocol; however, my cycle was canceled 2 days into stimulation medications due to procedure restrictions with Covid-19.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at IVF Phoenix.
The nursing staff seems a bit disjointed at times as they staff 2 different locations; however, with time there have been less clarifications needed and I have learned which nurses to ask for to get my questions answered in a (more) timely manner. On a positive note-they are friendly, compassionate, and apologize for misunderstandings or miscommunication when it does occur.
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
The clinic is clean and well designed with plenty of good distractions (magazines, a TV, bottled water, mints, etc). They occasionally run behind but the majority of the time there was little wait. The financials can be a bit murky at times due to the multiple inclusions/exclusions with the IVF packages, but nothing that can’t be clarified by reading through it carefully and asking questions. Another small detail: Dr. Couvaras did the majority of my follicle scans and he is great about talking you through it; however, the nurses who performed them were not as verbal and often did not want to give definitive information (but perhaps that is what they are instructed to do).
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix.
Without insurance, cost was approx. 10K for an egg retrieval (including cycle ultrasounds, assisted hatching, ICSI, embryo biopsy) and FET. Medications an additional 5-7K. Third-party genetic testing of embryos was not included.
Describe John Couvaras's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at IVF Phoenix.
I believe he strongly suggests eSET, but I have not made it to egg retrieval at this time.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at IVF Phoenix.
Although most information is uploaded into the patient portal, I found that many verbal instructions were not otherwise put in print (or if they were, they were not readily accessible to me). This resulted in multiple phone calls to clarify (rare, but could be time consuming). There were also a couple of occasions that medications were supposed to be called in to my pharmacy and were not; however this was quickly fixed with a phone call.
Scottsdale

He [Dr. Couvaras] is a very intelligent doctor. I have experienced 3 miscarriages before going to his clinic and within the 20 minute consultation he felt like he understood why I had recurrent loss when other doctors could not help. He looks at the whole person and not just the eggs and sperm. He will always give you his honest opinion and if you aren't understanding something he will create an analogy to better explain the situation.
After just a couple visits the staff [at IVF Phoenix] knew who I was and treated me like I had been a patient for years. Every member is always extremely helpful, kind, and compassionate. Any time we would have questions they would always be helpful, and especially with starting IVF they were very knowledgeable about what we could expect and helped ease our worries.
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
He is a very intelligent doctor. I have experienced 3 miscarriages before going to his clinic and within the 20 minute consultation he felt like he understood why I had recurrent loss when other doctors could not help. He looks at the whole person and not just the eggs and sperm. He will always give you his honest opinion and if you aren't understanding something he will create an analogy to better explain the situation.
Go in with an open mind about the timeline of when to expect to get pregnant no matter which procedure will get you there. I was naive about how "long" testing takes to get the full picture.
He is a very busy doctor who runs his own practice. In the beginning I felt more like a number because he is kind of awkward and not overly personable. However, after seeing him for a bit we all kind of opened up to each other and can joke around at appointments. I understand how busy he is trying to help everyone as the sole doctor in the practice.
I went to Dr. Couvaras after have 3 losses conceived naturally. His plan my first cycle was to do a medicated timed intercourse cycle. I was taking femara, heparin for my clotting problems, and acyclovir for inflammation and using OPKs to predict ovulation. We went this route first because it was less costly and had gotten pregnant before. This cycle ended with a negative result. My second cycle was a medicated IUI. The doctor felt that getting the sperm directly into my uterus would eliminate any other outside factor that could prevent us from getting pregnant. That cycle I was taking menopur, acyclovir, heparin, and cetrotide. After the IUI was unsuccessful, Dr. Couvaras suggested we just test my husband's sperm to make sure nothing had changed since we'd gotten pregnant. He came back with an extremely low count. Because of this we were suggested to start IVF. For our egg retrieval I was taking menopur, acyclovir, heparin, gonal f, omnitrope, cetrotide, provera, and lupron. We had 24 eggs retrieved, 19 mature, 18 fertilized, 15 were frozen with 9 of those biopsied for PGS. Our final results are we have 12 total frozen embryos, 6 untested and 6 that are chromosomally normal. We are in the middle of our ERA cycle and I've been on birth control, heparin, acyclovir, estrace, and progesterone both injections and suppositories.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at IVF Phoenix.
After just a couple visits the staff knew who I was and treated me like I had been a patient for years. Every member is always extremely helpful, kind, and compassionate. Any time we would have questions they would always be helpful, and especially with starting IVF they were very knowledgeable about what we could expect and helped ease our worries.
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
The clinic has great reviews and is nice and clean, and because it's a small practice you don't feel like a number being pushed through every visit. If I had to say any weaknesses it would probably be that he has 2 locations and depending on which day of the week your appt is will depend on which location you are scheduled at. One is in Scottsdale and the other is in Mesa. If you are located anywhere on the west side of the valley it is not a close drive. A piece of constructive criticism I would offer is, especially with IVF, to be completley transparent about cost of the entire cycle and options outside of the offered plan that could increase the cost. For example, our ERA cycle after egg retrieval is costing us about two thousand more than we had expected. It would have been easier to understand the full potential cost before starting instead of having to decide at a visit if we wanted to proceed because of the added cost.
I believe his approach is single embryo transfer. He did explain the chance of multiples with even a single transfer. He also explained that transferring more than one does not increase your chances of getting pregnant, it just increases the possibilty multiples if you were to get pregnant. More than one embryo does not guarantee pregnancy according to the studies he was referencing. However, since my husband and I were only wanting to transfer one we did not ask if he had a firm stance on this or if there were scenarios where we would transfer two vs one.
Scottsdale

He [Dr. Couvaras] thinks outside of the box and tries things I only read about online but never saw put into practice before. I think they are really the next steps to being successful....I have been on prednisone, vitamin D, antiviral 3x day, DHEA 2x day, Fish oil 2x day, Vitamins B6 and B12, Lovenox 40mg and 60 mg 12 hours apart, intralipids before IUI and after positive test, PRP wash before IUI, and we used Clomid and injectable Menopur for the stimulation of eggs.
The staff [at IVF Phoenix] could be more friendly/compassionate but they do a pretty good job keeping things updated and letting you know your plan. I have a type A personality though so I always follow up anyway...All clinics have issues sometimes and I had a few here. One appointment was made but when I came in, they didn't have me down and the Doctor was really mad about it and showed his frustration in front of me which was really awkward. That was the worst visit I've had. A few times lab orders aren't called in so I now just call the day before to verify before I go to the lab.
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
This doctor was the first one to get me pregnant with treatment ever and although I miscarried I am confident his techniques will get us a full term pregnancy. He thinks outside of the box and tries things I only read about online but never saw put into practice before. I think they are really the next steps to being successful.
He's brilliant and thinks outside of the box but don't expect a warm fuzzy feeling every time you see him. He's not there to hold your hand or make you feel good so if you are looking for that then I would go somewhere else. If you are looking for someone that will do alternative methods and test for everything, this is your guy.
The staff and doctor really don't show much of a personality or smile. They are straight to the point and very business like. The bedside manner isn't the greatest and I used to care a lot about that (of course would still like a good bedside manner) but it's not the most important thing to me anymore. I really just want results and this team is a results driven team.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Phoenix. (Assigned nurse: Courtney)
The staff could be more friendly/compassionate but they do a pretty good job keeping things updated and letting you know your plan. I have a type A personality though so I always follow up anyway.
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
I think they are a great clinic. Rhoda is the sweetest and is there when you need her. The Doctor is brilliant and the staff is pretty good at getting you in and out and keeping things updated. I think you have to know they aren't the most compassionate bedside type people and that although they are great, you can't forget to be your own advocate too, that's with any clinic.
Insured covered testing, lab, and some visits. The IUI I believe was $375, the Intralipids around $3-400, and PRP was about $400.
I haven't done a transfer with Dr. Couvarus but with the other doctor he suggested 1 embryo, and 2 embryos for the next two transfers.

2015 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Dr. Couvaras takes an approach that looks at much more than just hormones and follicle counts. I appreciate that he was always looking for other underlying aspects that could be impacting our fertility problems. Unfortunately, he was never able to find anything that definitively explained our problems, so I left feeling like we spent a lot of money on adjunctive treatments to address potential problems (like intralipids to prevent rejection of the embryo and sonohysterograms using oil infusion to treat the uterine cavity for potential viruses like HHV6) that may or may not have been anything that was really a problem - but cost us about an extra $800 per cycle, which quickly adds up. It was also clear that even as interested as he was in potentially looking for other causes, he forgot or at least didn't document well in the chart some of our unique history that definitely impacted our fertility status.
I think the main weakness is his clinical staff's disorganization [at IVF Pheonix]. And ultimately, just because the doctor's protocols didn't work for me, doesn't mean he doesn't do great work for other patients. I would just suggest that potential patients stay on top of the clinical staff and make sure they clearly understand timelines and that the staff is understanding any questions being asked.
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
Expect that treatment with Dr. Couvaras will take a time commitment, as he often requires months of treatment with supplements or medications before moving on to the next step of treatment. From the experience of others I personally know who have seen him, as well as the data from his SART and CDC stats, he seems to do well with people who haven't had success elsewhere and with people who can do IUIs. I am in neither of those categories and feel that I perhaps wasted time here, and wonder if I could have had better outcomes with a different doctor/approach.
It felt clear that Dr. Couvaras really cares about his patients, and I had good interactions with him during my appointments. He was thorough and took the time to answer my questions. In addition, his wife, Rhoda, the office manager is very kind and I felt that she personally cared about me, which was so kind and wonderful. His staff was a mixed bag. The first set of ultrasound techs that were working for him when I started care at his office were wonderful. After returning from a break from treatment, the previous techs were gone and there were new ultrasound techs. I did not have as good of an experience with these staff members. Information wasn't always provided to me in a timely manner, they forgot to call in some prescriptions until the last minute, and it was obvious there was miscommunication between them and the doctor.
I was put on some medications and supplements ahead of time with the goal of increasing my TNF-alpha to normal levels (I've been low, which he felt signaled __). Then proceeded with an antagonist IVF cycle, with ICSI for the fertilization post retrieval - we have mild MFI, but at the time he was including ICSI in package pricing and I believe was doing it for most patients. We did a freeze all cycle at his suggestion, as he felt a FET allows for more optimal uterine environment. We made several blasts which were frozen. We elected not to PGS test at the time due to my age being relatively young. Subsequent FETs involved the use of heparin during lining building, intralipids infused several days before embryo transfer, sonohysterograms with oil infusion before FETs for later FETs, and prednisone starting at time of transfer or a couple of days before transfer.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at IVF Phoenix.
They were very good at their main job, doing the ultrasounds. He does not use dedicated nurses, he uses the ultrasound technicians to coordinate patient care. I felt that they were not good with addressing questions I had about my care (they minimized or brushed off my questions). Getting FET or pre-FET medication schedules was at times delayed. It seemed that whenever my body didn't cooperate exactly according to plan, it threw off their routine and communication suffered about when I needed to have blood drawn/ultrasounds done. At the first FET that I was prescribed prednisone for, I was informed that I should have started taking the prednisone a couple of days before the FET - I was told this after the embryo transfer. No one had called in a prescription for me, nor had anyone previously told me that it would be part of my plan that cycle, nor was it written anywhere on my FET calendar for that cycle. It was a lot of little things like this that felt incredibly frustrating. I felt like I constantly had to be double checking everything I had previously been told, with what I was currently being told, and making sure that I was being given correct information. The two technicians I dealt with during my last year at the clinic were not overtly rude to me, but were never very friendly.
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
I really liked that someone answered the phone every time I called. I always felt that they knew who I was when I was calling. And I appreciated that the doctor was thinking outside of the box. I think the main weakness is his clinical staff's disorganization. And ultimately, just because the doctor's protocols didn't work for me, doesn't mean he doesn't do great work for other patients. I would just suggest that potential patients stay on top of the clinical staff and make sure they clearly understand timelines and that the staff is understanding any questions being asked.
I believe the IVF cycle was around $7k including ICSI and anesthesia. IVF medications were around $3k. Recommended supplements and non-stimm medications were around another $50+ per month of treatment. FET cycles were around $2k for ultrasound monitoring and the transfer. I paid my copay of $20 for each blood draw during IVF stimulation and FET cycles, those costs were not included in the price of the package. Intralipids were around $375 per infusion. Sonohysterogram with oil was $400 per procedure (one before each FET cycle).
He was willing to transfer 2 or 1 embryos per FET, depending on our preference.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at IVF Phoenix.
Already discussed, see above answers regarding medications not being called in to pharmacy or me being told they should be started. Once I was also not called with beta results and had to track them down on the lab's website and then call the after hours line to know what I should do regarding continuing or stopping medications.
Scottsdale

He [Dr. John Couvaras] takes the time to break things down for you, explain the what/why/how’s and the next steps. He doesn’t jump right into things as fertility treatments aren’t a one size fits all. We did months of testing and waiting...We feel confident going into IVF with him!...likes to think outside the box...He may be a bit abrasive but he wants you to know he is taking the time to tailor a plan for you...We are currently in the process of doing IVF. Gonal, menopur, omnitrope, Lupron. We are waiting for my next cycle to start then it is go time...
[The nurse at IVF Phoenix] explains things thoroughly and reassures us that she will help guide us along this journey...Strengths - the doctors knowledge is amazing. Our IVF coordinator is on top of everything. Weaknesses - the staff could be a little more friendly. I feel a big disconnect when there during an office visit. It would be nice to build a relationship with the team as a whole...I had to call and inquire on it a few times but they owned up to it and made things right. A prescription wasn’t called in which could have been bad if I had expected those meds right away but thankfully I had time to figure out that mishap.
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
We finally found a doctor that wanted to take the time to figure out answers and not just push another procedure. We met with him and knew right away he was the doctor for us and our search was over. He may be a bit abrasive but he wants you to know he is taking the time to tailor a plan for you and to TRUST him. We are doing just that. I believe that’s how it should be - you shouldn’t have to keep second guessing yourself or wondering if there are things being missed because they don’t take the time to properly diagnose you. Couvaras likes to think outside the box.
Be patient. He doesn’t jump right into things as fertility treatments aren’t a one size fits all. We did months of testing and waiting. It’s worth it to know you are headed down the right path with a doctor who took the time to figure out your diagnosis.
He takes the time to break things down for you, explain the what/why/how’s and the next steps. We feel confident going into IVF with him!
We are currently in the process of doing IVF. Gonal, menopur, omnitrope, Lupron. We are waiting for my next cycle to start then it is go time. However I know from a few friends that have or are currently seeing Couvaras, if a cycle fails he changes protocol or dives deeper into finding out why it could have failed.
On top of it, explains things thoroughly and reassures us that she will help guide us along this journey
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
11k for IVF excluding medications (includes ICSI) $180 each SA for husband. Copays fun about $40 after insurance.
He explained why it’s best to transfer 1. If the cycle fails - you want to figure out what needs adjusting, therefore you don’t want to waste two good embryo’s. Plus success rates don’t go up the more you transfer. We are confident in his choice to do one at a time.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at IVF Phoenix.
Simple mistakes where the ball was dropped with giving us results which was frustrating. I had to call and inquire on it a few times but they owned up to it and made things right. A prescription wasn’t called in which could have been bad if I had expected those meds right away but thankfully I had time to figure out that mishap.
Scottsdale

We are still in the middle of his FSH suppression protocol [with Dr Couvaras] in an attempt to raise my AMH. It is much more intense than I thought it would be, but it’s not so bad once you get used to it. He adjusts the hormones and meds weekly based on blood test results to get and keep the levels where he wants them. My specific protocol is a combination of 17 different supplements and medications, combined with a high protein/low carb diet, and daily exercise. I imagine it is similar for most of his patients, but I know he tailors it to each patient based on their specific needs.
Most communication [with IVF Phoenix] is through the portal and text, which is fine...I wish the nurses showed more compassion. We are going through the hardest time in our lives and spending many thousands of dollars. Sometimes they are amazing, and sometimes it feels like they don’t remember everything we’re going through. I think part of it is that it’s mostly written communication. In person and on the phone, they are very kind. Also, to be fair, I don’t know if everyone I communicate with in the portal/text are nurses or other staff.
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
We chose Dr Couvaras specifically because of his studies on low AMH and his protocol to help raise it. He has done studies that I’ve never seen any other dr do in regards to still getting good eggs/embryos from women with low AMH. We are still in the middle of this protocol, but he has been very helpful and adjusts it weekly based on blood test results. I truly believe he is a genius, and honestly, he talks like one. There are times that I need to ask him to dumb it down a little so we can understand. He is blunt when talking to us, which I personally appreciate. I don’t need him to be extra nice or delicate, I just need his knowledge so we can try to use my eggs one last time. However, when we had a minor setback and I had a little meltdown, he was very kind and helped me to understand the issue.
Don’t be afraid to ask him to explain things in different terms. He talks fast and uses terms I had never heard, even after we had already been through a full IVF cycle with another dr. He wants you to understand and will gladly explain it differently for you.
Dr Couvaras is extremely thorough in his assessment. He really takes his time to learn everything about your history and with the exam to pinpoint what the issues are.
We are still in the middle of his FSH suppression protocol in an attempt to raise my AMH. It is much more intense than I thought it would be, but it’s not so bad once you get used to it. He adjusts the hormones and meds weekly based on blood test results to get and keep the levels where he wants them. My specific protocol is a combination of 17 different supplements and medications, combined with a high protein/low carb diet, and daily exercise. I imagine it is similar for most of his patients, but I know he tailors it to each patient based on their specific needs.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at IVF Phoenix.
Most communication is through the portal and text, which is fine. I don’t mind the dr being blunt because we are using him for his knowledge and studies on our specific issue, but I guess I wish the nurses showed more compassion. We are going through the hardest time in our lives and spending many thousands of dollars. Sometimes they are amazing, and sometimes it feels like they don’t remember everything we’re going through. I think part of it is that it’s mostly written communication. In person and on the phone, they are very kind. Also, to be fair, I don’t know if everyone I communicate with in the portal/text are nurses or other staff.
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
In person, they are all very kind and personable. However, most communication goes through the portal and/or text. It is helpful at times, but there are other times that I wish it was more personal. However, Dr Couvaras is extremely knowledgeable and he is worth it all. I have not found any other clinic or dr that does the studies he does or takes the time to figure out the root of the problem rather than just rushing into another cycle. I’m so glad we chose this clinic and will stay with them no matter what.
The total (without meds) for IVF with ICSI and PGS is around $10k. He also offers other services for addtl cost, such as embryo glue and supplements.
Not sure yet.
Scottsdale

After seeing another fertility dr that treated everyone as a one size fits all, Dr. Couvaras was a breath of fresh air. He had testing done on me that I had never even heard of and put me on a diet and supplements along with medication. I really felt as though he was fixing the problem from the inside out, instead of attempting to get an unhealthy person pregnant.... First round I did acyclovir to reduce virus that I carry, heparin for blood clotting and tons of vitamins including high doses of vitamin D.
It’s a busy clinic [IVF Phoenix] but over all runs very smooth. I’ve hardly ever had to wait to be seen for blood work, IVs, ultrasound etc. it is very clean and welcoming. I think a weakness would also be how busy it is, sometimes it’s a tad over overwhelming how many people are going in a out while you are waiting for info.... Sometimes when Dr is out of town I feel like they can’t get it together. They text me the wrong info on occasion or asking me questions that don’t
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
After seeing another fertility dr that treated everyone as a one size fits all, Dr. Couvaras was a breath of fresh air. He had testing done on me that I had never even heard of and put me on a diet and supplements along with medication. I really felt as though he was fixing the problem from the inside out, instead of attempting to get an unhealthy person pregnant. I had just had my third miscarriage when I went to see him and I needed to feel like my body was being fixed to carry a baby.
He’s a little crazy, but there is a method to his madness d he gets results. I’ve had friends who were told they would need IVF with others drs end up being able to conceive naturally after doing Couvaras course.
This lastbcucle I haven’t even seen him, I’ve only had encounters with the nurses and sometimes when the nurses text me they have the wrong information about what I’m suppose to be doing in this cycle.
First round I did acyclovir to reduce virus that I carry, heparin for blood clotting and tons of vitamins including high doses of vitamin D. That cycle we also did a trigger shot. Unfortunately that round wasn’t successful. This round (in two week wait) we did the same as above and added chlomid on days 3 to 7 of my cycle. Did that followed by a trigger shot with timed intercourse again. During this cycle we had a semen analysis done on my husband, had the first one done with first fertility dr and his results came back normal, Couvaras does different in house testing and my husbands did come back low this time. We opted to try naturally one more time and if unsuccessful this round we will try IUI.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at IVF Phoenix.
One nurse is very friendly and sweet and the other not so much. Sometimes when Dr is out of town I feel like they can’t get it together. They text me the wrong info on occasion or asking me questions that don’t pertain to my treatment at that time. For instance I did a trigger shot last Sunday and then on Thursday one nurse text me to ask what my OPKs were looking like. It was irrelevant after the shot and kind of freaked me out that maybe they had me do something wrong.
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
It’s a busy clinic but over all runs very smooth. I’ve hardly ever had to wait to be seen for blood work, IVs, ultrasound etc. it is very clean and welcoming. I think a weakness would also be how busy it is, sometimes it’s a tad over overwhelming how many people are going in a out while you are waiting for info.
So far I believe we are at about 5000$. Mostly just for testing, HSG, sono with oil, and the intralipid IVs. If we move to IUI next cycle the cost will increase significantly.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at IVF Phoenix.
Mostly just the mixed up information in text with the nurses. Both times this has happened Dr. Couvaras has been out of town.
Scottsdale

We weren’t sure what to expect but Dr Couvaras is a genius in my book, he is so knowledgeable. He was so willing to do an extra ultra sound even when it wasnt planned to see how close I was to ovulation.... We are still in progress. The acyclovir I am still taking and the plaquenil was short term. Dr Couvaras focuses a lot on inflammation especially with me.... He instructed me to read and learn about SIGHI diet, also to take Vitamin D, Gaba, B6 and Methyl Folate.
They [IVF Phoenix] are great at scheduling and you always leave with your visit notes in your hand that have your plan. At the end of the visit the nurse sits down and goes back over the plan with you ( so you hear it twice before you leave the office ). They all totally get everyone is at a different point in the journey.... I adore that his sweet wife works with him, and the rest of the staff is sweet but sometimes a little unorganized.
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
We weren’t sure what to expect but Dr Couvaras is a genius in my book, he is so knowledgeable. He was so willing to do an extra ultra sound even when it wasnt planned to see how close I was to ovulation. I love that he, himself does the ultrasound with us, in the past at other offices we’ve had poor experiences with ultrasound technicians. I love that his sweet wife works in the office with him. I have been beyond blown away by his care these last 3 months.
Dont be afraid to ask questions! Sometimes he will explain using medical terms I don’t recognize even with my medical experience. He is so willing to explain, just ask!
The office and Dr Couvaras is so great at communicating threw calling, texting, their portal and just in general when your at the office. your always able to schedule an appt quickly. After doing an HSG in their office the nurse was so kind and of course Dr Couvaras is always so great and making sense of what is going on and explaining it.
We are still in progress. The acyclovir I am still taking and the plaquenil was short term. Dr Couvaras focuses a lot on inflammation especially with me. He instructed me to read and learn about SIGHI diet, also to take Vitamin D, Gaba, B6 and Methyl Folate. i hadn’t had a period in 18 months trying so many other things (metformin, clomid and holistic medicine) and this worked within 20 days!!!!! It blew us away. Now we’ve had two cycles. We have planned for this next cycle to do haprin shots/clomid and IUI. Dr Couvaras immediately recommended that we do the genetic carrier tests, which I was grateful for. I just want to do things right, we feel we’ve had too many doctors try to shortcut out of seeing me. Dr Couvaras gets that and is willing to go at our pace to get that baby into our arms.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at IVF Phoenix.
First I adore that his sweet wife works with him, and the rest of the staff is sweet but sometimes a little unorganized. The Dr does quite a bit himself it seams but it feels like he almost prefers it, it feels like he is taking care of you.
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
They are great at scheduling and you always leave with your visit notes in your hand that have your plan. At the end of the visit the nurse sits down and goes back over the plan with you ( so you hear it twice before you leave the office ). They all totally get everyone is at a different point in the journey. Some people come in after 6 months of ttc and some people wait years or like us we waited 4 years and tried several other treatment plans before going to Dr Couvaras.
Mostly Co pays we haven’t gotten the visits back from both insurances. The genetic testing was cash and the supplements was cash. It has not been as bad as I expected. IUI will be about $400 with the lipids another few hundred then with mediations and another month of supplements. I bet it will be about $1,500 by the end of March.
i haven’t had an experience with this yet. Maybe it won’t be necessary but maybe it will.
Mesa

Dr. Couvaras has a very personalized approach and listened to me very closely each appointment. I feel like he is a brilliant doctor who helped me understand more than just my fertility but my overall health. We did a ton of testing before we jumped to any conclusions and treatments....I was told to follow a low histamine diet to clean up inflammation I had. We did a intralipid infusion a few days before my procedure since I had high killer cells. With each recommendation in his treatment he had a very good explanation of how it would beneficial.
Strengths [of IVF Phoenix]: Excellent care and communication. Tons of package pricing options. Very responsive to questions via phone and text. Clear instructions. Weaknesses: two separate offices that you have to drive to... There are a ton of package pricing that are very competitive with other clinics out in Arizona....They were a few ladies who would explain the treatment plans and next steps and were always willing to assist with questions any day/time.
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
I had seen two fertility doctors prior to dr. Couvaras and didn’t feel comfortable with them at all. Dr. Couvaras team is so responsive to my many questions and are just a text or phone call away. He listens carefully and transcribes each appt in front of you. As he examines you he educates you on what he is looking at. Dr. C even personalized my diet/exercise routine.
Listen and ask any question you have. Trust and follow Dr. C’s recommendations.
Dr. Couvaras is a very smart man and wants to prevent miscarriage or any problems before any treatment is done. I was told to follow a low histamine diet to clean up inflammation I had. We did a intralipid infusion a few days before my procedure since I had high killer cells. With each recommendation in his treatment he had a very good explanation of how it would beneficial.
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
Strengths: Excellent care and communication. Tons of package pricing options. Very responsive to questions via phone and text. Clear instructions. Weaknesses: two separate offices that you have to drive to
Scottsdale

Dr. C.[Couvaras] first focused on getting my hormones and levels balanced. ... Dr. C. is the best at what he does, trying to figure out the underlying problem. He doesn't just pump you full of hormones and assume you'll get pregnant. He first looks at you and your history to understand what it going on. ... Dr. C. is very "to the point", which in some cases is nice.
The clinic [IVF Phoenix] is always clean well cared for. There is always water and granola bars for you which is a nice touch. They have TVs in the waiting room and plenty of magazines. Having 2 locations has saved us 100s of miles! ... The billing and financial side of the clinic is a little frustrating. The last thing any women in there wants is to have to worry about paying her bill or wondering if insurance will cover anything (let's be serious, it won't).
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
Dr. C. is the best at what he does, trying to figure out the underlying problem. He doesn't just pump you full of hormones and assume you'll get pregnant. He first looks at you and your history to understand what it going on. We have gone through 2 iui cycles with Dr. C. Haven't had any luck yet but he still seems hopeful. We are taking some time off to save up for IVF, our last option before surrogacy.
Be as mentally prepared as you can be. There wont be much emotional or mental support. Have a strong support system outside of the medical field. Follow exactly what doc says, with diet, exercise and supplements. It all adds up.
Dr. C. is very "to the point", which in some cases is nice. My husband and I dont want to waste anymore time trying to get pregnant, so his straight forward approach and demeanor is appreciated. There are also the days when I am overly emotional and just want a little emotional support as well, and that is a little more hard to find, from any doctor I think.
Dr. C. first focused on getting my hormones and levels balanced. This was simply taking his suggested supplements and doing frequent blood tests. That was the east part. We then moved into an iui cycle with clomid, menopur and heprin. This cycle resulted in what appeared to be a fertilized embryo but failed to implant. We then tried another iui cycle but with more menopur. This cycle had no results. Our next step will be ivf with pgs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Phoenix. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
The staff was great at explaining what the next steps were in our plan. They were always great about explaining and demonstrating how to use a new drug or injection. They were always helpful about planning appointments and working around our schedule. The billing and financial side of the clinic is a little frustrating. The last thing any women in there wants is to have to worry about paying her bill or wondering if insurance will cover anything (let's be serious, it won't). I wish there was a way to separate the financial part of all this. When I go in to get a procedure done, I am stressed enough.
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
The clinic is always clean well cared for. There is always water and granola bars for you which is a nice touch. They have TVs in the waiting room and plenty of magazines. Having 2 locations has saved us 100s of miles!
The cost for the actual iui procedure were about $350, which is nothing compared to all the labs, medications, and shots. Office visits were around $100 which also was not bad as we only saw the doctor for the actual procedure and a consultation after the iuis failed.
Mesa
The clinic [IVF Pheonix- Scottsdale] has two locations which is convenient. You are able to text them if you have a simple question and they reply promptly. The clinic is nice and feels professional yet welcoming. For the initial consultation the wait was a little bit, but following appointments I only waited about 10 minutes at the most.... They [the nurses] are good in person, but struggle to explain everything in depth. Sometimes I wasn’t supposed to be taking a medication anymore yet I was never told until I had to ask. They didn’t tell me to bring the mix for my trigger shot so I had to mix it on my own and hope I did it correctly.
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
Dr Couvaras is very helpful and looking for underlying issues that are causing infertility. He tested many different deficiencies, genetics, and problems that could be affecting my ability to get pregnant. He did this before starting any treatments, making me feel like I didn’t have a cookie cutter plan for me. Once test results were back he sat down with my husband and I and explained everything at a level we could understand. He used metaphors to explain how the ovulation process works and why mine wasn’t. He truly treats you individually! We don’t have results from our first TIC with clomid yet, but we feel positive.
He took the time to talk about me individually and not generalize my infertility. He sat down and went over my history from when I started my cycle. He really got to know me to see what was causing ME infertility
Clomid-50 mg for 3 days and 25 mg for 2 days. Heparin injections twice a day from day 3 to ovulation. Vitamin D, Folic Acid, B6, L-arginine Steroid medication after trigger shot Trigger shot on day 15 with a low dose of trigger 2 days leading up to trigger
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at IVF Phoenix.
They are good in person, but struggle to explain everything in depth. Sometimes I wasn’t supposed to be taking a medication anymore yet I was never told until I had to ask. They didn’t tell me to bring the mix for my trigger shot so I had to mix it on my own and hope I did it correctly.
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
The clinic has two locations which is convenient. You are able to text them if you have a simple question and they reply promptly. The clinic is nice and feels professional yet welcoming. For the initial consultation the wait was a little bit, but following appointments I only waited about 10 minutes at the most.
$175 for doctors visit Original consultation cost? Blood work? $375 intralipid infusion
Describe the specific things that went wrong at IVF Phoenix.
The heparin was not called into the pharmacy until I told them I did not have it and should’ve been starting it the next day. I was taking a pill for prolactin and was not told to stop taking it until I questioned it. I had prescriptions for menopur and a trigger called in and then I was just told I needed them. Not why but that I needed to get them “in case”. The total was $555 so I would’ve like a little more explanation considering I didn’t use one.
Scottsdale

Dr. Couvaras is very knowledgable in the field of infertility. He looks at each person's case as their own and not just the norm. He explains his thinking and allows you to be apart of the decision making of your treatment...He will tend to use "big" medical terms but just ask him to explain and he will be more than willing to do so...daily heparin injections for MTHFR, intraplipid infusions every other week to help decrease natural killer cells
There is a lot of nursing staff members [at IVF Phoenix] and I was not assigned to one in particular. They are a busy clinic and the nurses wear that on their face. Making you sometimes feel like you are a burden...They take most insurance and will bill all services just incase...has two offices but are very accommodating in getting you into the office you prefer. Compared to the other clinics I have been to, they are the most up to date clinic with the top of the line equipment. The biggest weakness and worrisome I had is they can get busy and the staff wear it on their face. Sometimes making the appointment feel discouraging.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at IVF Phoenix.
There is a lot of nursing staff members and I was not assigned to one in particular. They are a busy clinic and the nurses wear that on their face. Making you sometimes feel like you are a burden.
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
IVF Phoenix has two offices but are very accommodating in getting you into the office you prefer. Compared to the other clinics I have been to, they are the most up to date clinic with the top of the line equipment. The biggest weakness and worrisome I had is they can get busy and the staff wear it on their face. Sometimes making the appointment feel discouraging.
They take most insurance and will bill all services just incase.
Scottsdale
Dr [John Couvaras] told me I have a clotting disorder and I am to scary to carry and I can put myself at risk. He said I can make beautiful embryos but I just can’t carry. I get blood clots and I have a clotting disorder that could end in death and he will not put me through it. We have to seek surrogacy.... Dr Couvarus told me everything and did not cut corners! He has been the only doctor not to just take money from me and say see you next time. He cares. He studies your body to find out what is going on!
The clinic [IVF Pheonix] is very knowledgeable! They are helpful in all the doctors protocols. If you have any questions they will find out right away! They do not have weaknesses! They are a great team! This doctor has a wonderful staff! His wife is amazing as well! I let them know when I would fly in and they got me in right away!... He will do a single transfer only on my surrogate.... Dr told me I have a clotting disorder and I am to scary to carry and I can put myself at risk. He said I can make beautiful embryos but I just can’t carry. I get blood clots and I have a clotting disorder that could end in death and he will not put me through it. We have to seek surrogacy.
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
Listen and do what he says
Dr takes the time to call me and talk about me. He is very caring and really knows the field! Has a heart bigger then this world! I’m from Indiana and seeking treatment in Az.
Kind and helpful
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
The clinic is very knowledgeable! They are helpful in all the doctors protocols. If you have any questions they will find out right away! They do not have weaknesses! They are a great team! This doctor has a wonderful staff! His wife is amazing as well! I let them know when I would fly in and they got me in right away!
So far not to bad. Consults are expensive and surrogate will be expensive as well as a transfer
He will do a single transfer only on my surrogate
2019, Consult
I had a wonderful experience [with Dr. Couvaras]. I am highly impressed with his bedside manner in his skill would highly recommend him and so grateful for what he does! Wish I would have seen him sooner...My OB referred me to Dr C and I'm forever grateful because I went in today and had a pleasant almost complete cramp free HSG. If you've had this done before you know that's a dream come true. He was fantastic! His skill, equipment and calm nature helped me get through the test with great results. I dreaded this day for years and it was no big deal at all. I highly recommend him, his office and encourage you with the right team good things can happen!
Hsg test under 300 dollars [at IVF Phoenix]...Everyone in the office was highly professional but friendly and made me feel comfortable. The actual office was very clean and tidy and made me feel comfortable I can’t recommend them enough. Very impressed in every aspect of my experience...I had a wonderful experience. I am highly impressed with [Dr. Couvaras'] bedside manner in his skill would highly recommend him and so grateful for what he does! Wish I would have seen him sooner. It is a blessing to have I love you providers such as him to help so many throughout their struggles.
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
I had a wonderful experience. I am highly impressed with his bedside manner in his skill would highly recommend him and so grateful for what he does! Wish I would have seen him sooner. It is a blessing to have I love you providers such as him to help so many throughout their struggles.
Don’t be nervous he’s fantastic and makes you feel comfortable.
I can't even begin to express my gratitude for Dr C! I was referred to him by my OB after I had a horrific experience at Simon Med getting an HSG 4 years ago. The test helped me conceive my son so I knew it would be worth it as we were trying for baby number two with no success after the last year and half but dreaded having to have it done again. My OB referred me to Dr C and I'm forever grateful because I went in today and had a pleasant almost complete cramp free HSG. If you've had this done before you know that's a dream come true. He was fantastic! His skill, equipment and calm nature helped me get through the test with great results. I dreaded this day for years and it was no big deal at all. I highly recommend him, his office and encourage you with the right team good things can happen!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at IVF Phoenix.
Everyone was fantastic and made me feel at ease
Hsg test under 300 dollars
Mesa

Dr Couvaras is a very outside of the box thinker which is not necessarily bad but he is not great at breaking down the theories behind his protocols and why he wants you to take medications he prescribes. I was taking a cholesterol medication and Reglan and had no idea why he wanted me to take them for IVF. ... I was on growth hormone, Gonal-F, menopur, provera, ganirelix, lupron, heparin, and hcg for my egg retrieval stim cycle. Prior to that my prep protocol was vitamin D3, vitamin B6, GABA, antiviral 1-3 times daily, plaquinel, heparin twice a day, and multi vitamin, folinic acid, l-arginine, decreased carbs, increased protein.
This office [IVF Phoenix] was never honest with us about their pricing. They gave me "cash" prices and then billed my insurance three times as much. an egg retrieval should have cost us around $8,000 and it ended up costing over $15,000. It's been five months since my egg retrieval we are still dealing with incorrect filing of claims because we were billed for procedures that were not performed. Total nightmare dealing with this office and their staff.
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
Review your billing with a fine tooth comb and make sure you have the quoted pricing agreed upon and signed before paying anything to them.
This office was never honest with us about their pricing. They gave me "cash" prices and then billed my insurance three times as much. an egg retrieval should have cost us around $8,000 and it ended up costing over $15,000. It's been five months since my egg retrieval we are still dealing with incorrect filing of claims because we were billed for procedures that were not performed. Total nightmare dealing with this office and their staff.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at IVF Phoenix.
There are so many patients at the office per day that the staff just treated you like a number.
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
our experience with IVF Phoenix was so bad, I don't have and kind things to say about them. I wish I did, but I don't and that is why we are so happy to be with our new physician. Their billing person is so hard to communicate with and get straight answers from, you are not assigned to a specific coordinator, ultrasounds are performed by a different person everytime.
Never given a cost estimate. cash price for egg retrieval cycle was $6750. My insurance paid out at 100% and they attempted to bill my insurance over $30,000 just for an egg retrieval, as an insurance patient. This completely wiped out my $15,000 lifetime max infertility benefit. They are completely unethical and will charge insurance patients way more than cash patients so they can collect as much money as they can ans sometime more money than a person paying cash.
If you have PGS testing done and the embryo is normal he will transfer 1 or 2, he gives you a choice. if the embryos are not PGS tested he prefers to transfer 2
Describe the specific things that went wrong at IVF Phoenix.
I felt rushed the entire time I was with this clinic. I was never given a cost estimate prior to treatment so I never had the chance to shop so to speak, I was never given an option of using a different pharmacy or paying cash for some of my meds and not all of my meds. The Dr was pushing that we complete an egg retrieval before I turn 35 and kept telling me "because success rates dramatically decrease at that point" we really need to get eggs out now", it was not a good experience at all in my opinion
Scottsdale

Very blunt, often very scientific and confusing. From the very beginning, he [Dr. Couvaras] was really pushing me towards IVF and not wanting to try any other course or option. I was put on over 26 pills a day and twice daily blood thinner injections, for over 6 months, before I insisted on doing something!...Especially after my IUI, and once it was determined that I would miscarry, there was no follow up. I was told to go home, and miscarry. No one checked in on me. No pain medication was prescribed. There was zero human interaction, or even an "I'm sorry for your loss".
Lack of communication around testing and results. Since going to a new doctor, I was informed that they [IVF Phoenix] didn't even complete a blood panel for recurrent pregnancy loss. Also-zero follow up when I was told to go home and miscarry...Very busy, they put you on a very intense protocol of supplements/medications. Very much focused on IVF versus any other treatments. Very blunt-scientific, sometimes tough to understand the jargon used and little explanation. Zero compassion or follow up upon miscarriage
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
Very blunt, often very scientific and confusing. From the very beginning, he was really pushing me towards IVF and not wanting to try any other course or option. I was put on over 26 pills a day and twice daily blood thinner injections, for over 6 months, before I insisted on doing something!
He seems very much focused in IVF as opposed to any other courses of action
I was put on so many supplements and medications-26 pills a day. Blood thinner twice daily injections. Multiple IV infusion drips-at $300 each. Clomid for IUI, trigger shot, then progesterone
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at IVF Phoenix.
They were friendly enough during the visits, until my visit where it was determined I would miscarry. Zero compassion. Zero explanation. They just immediately went into trying to schedule a DNC.
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
Hundreds of dollars in supplements/blood thinner injections. $300 IV drips, $400+ IUI
Describe the specific things that went wrong at IVF Phoenix.
Lack of communication around testing and results. Since going to a new doctor, I was informed that they didn't even complete a blood panel for recurrent pregnancy loss. Also-zero follow up when I was told to go home and miscarry
Scottsdale

Dr Couvaras is very open to trying new things and keeping updated with new fertility treatments. Before putting me on clomid he tried to naturally get all my levels on track with supplements and a light carb diet. It did help to get many things back to normal, but when it didn't lead to pregnancy he had me start clomid with timed intercourse. That didn't lead to pregnancy so my next cycle we will try clomid with IUI before moving on to IVF.
The clinic [IVF Phoenix] has two separate locations which is great to be able to accommodate many women in the Phoenix area. There was a time when there were quite a few new nurses on staff which made it frustrating seeing as though I would get incorrect answers to my questions or no answer at all.... Courtney is absolutely amazing to work with and no matter how busy the office is she would always be on top of her game and make you feel comfortable with all the ultrasounds and next steps you might have.
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
To give the process time and even though all the check ups and blood work seems like too much to handle, it's all worth it for them to have further knowledge on what might work better the next cycle.
I feel like he took the time to help me understand the process of fertility treatments, but with unexplained infertility diagnosis it's hard to feel like he truly knows what will get us pregnant but that's due to the unknown.
I was on 50mg of clomid days 3-7 along with shots of heparin twice a day from cycle day 1 up to ovulation to increase blood flow to my uterus. I had 2-3 vaginal ultrasounds the first two weeks of my cycle to check follicular development and once 1 or 2 follicles were large enough they would have me do an HCG trigger shot and have intercourse twice that day and once the next day, we had done timed intercourse rather than IUI as my husband SA came back with flying colors . I had done that protocol for 3 cycles which none resulted in a pregnancy.
Courtney is absolutely amazing to work with and no matter how busy the office is she would always be on top of her game and make you feel comfortable with all the ultrasounds and next steps you might have. Even after taking months off from treatments she remembered me the moment I called back in. Fertility treatments are one of the most stressful things to go through and having someone like Courtney gave me the confidence and courage that I was on the right path to conceiving.
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
The clinic has two separate locations which is great to be able to accommodate many women in the Phoenix area. There was a time when there were quite a few new nurses on staff which made it frustrating seeing as though I would get incorrect answers to my questions or no answer at all. I'm hoping this is no longer the case and that they have grown their knowledge to help answer simple questions that don't require the Drs input.
I had lipids every cycle with clomid which was around $375. I don't recall any other specifics other than spending roughly $8k in total with supplements, appointments, prescriptions and injectables in about 6 months.
We have not gone through IVF at this point, but with my age of 31 he highly suggested just one embryo transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at IVF Phoenix.
This goes back to having new nurses on staff, but my Dr suspected I had chemical pregnancies in the past unknowingly to me. So, after my first failed cycle on clomid they had me do a blood test to confirm I didn't have a chemical pregnancy. When I went into the office the next day I asked the nurse if my results showed a chemical pregnancy and she seemed confused, but said yes. I wasn't confident in her response so I called back later in the day to speak with another nurse I was confident with and she confirmed that I did not have a chemical pregnancy. The first nurse had me so flustered and I wish she would have confirmed with someone else who was more seasoned before giving me an incorrect response.
Scottsdale

It took me a few months to get ready for my first IVF cycle with Dr.C [John Couvaras] I have immune issues so we spent the time to ensure that every thing was as good as can be before we proceeded. He used heparin and antiviral meds to get my immune system in check and increase the blood flow to help with egg quality. That resulted in my best round yet with 17 egg retrieved and 15 mature! Before my transfer we continued with blood thinners, antivirals and intralipids to help calm my immune system.
I’ve never had a single issue [at IVF Phoenix- Scottsdale]. They are very prompt to respond and I can typically make my apt early in the day so it doesn’t interfere with work. They can be very busy because it’s a small office and has one ultrasound room so there is a wait sometimes. Never more than maybe 10 minuets but they have water and snack so I never mind!... In totalmeds cost about $1700 and the rest of the cycle including ICSI, testing and transfer was about $8,000.
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
Dr.C is just a fountain of knowledge! He makes sure you fully understand all the medical parts. I leave every appointment with a written care summary and plan so I can always look back at what we discussed and what my next step is. Dr.C takes an individual approach to every patient and is willing to try new procedures or approaches based on your need. I have a particularly difficult diagnosis and he reassured me that even though this might be a rough road he believes he will be able to help me have my dream baby. He never makes you feel like you are out of options and will keep trying new things as long as you are willing. That is what what really makes him so amazing!
Dr.C is truly amazing. He actually spent the time to understand my history and reassure me I still had options. He is incredibly passionate about his clinic and make sure his staff is the same way. They k is you by name and are just as invested in this process as you.
It took me a few months to get ready for my first IVF cycle with Dr.C I have immune issues so we spent the time to ensure that every thing was as good as can be before we proceeded. He used heparin and antiviral meds to get my immune system in check and increase the blood flow to help with egg quality. That resulted in my best round yet with 17 egg retrieved and 15 mature! Before my transfer we continued with blood thinners, antivirals and intralipids to help calm my immune system.
The nursing staff is so caring you feel like they are there just for you! They have a dedicated number you can text including after hours. I had an issue with a medication and working a few minuets the pharmacy had a call and it was all straightened out. That was 7pm and I never had to worry because I k ew they were there to help. After my retrieval I had daily texts and calls to see how I was doing. This process even for someone experienced can be stressful and overwhelming but the nursing h staff was so amazing I’ve never been so relaxed during a cycle.
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
I’ve never had a single issue. They are very prompt to respond and I can typically make my apt early in the day so it doesn’t interfere with work. They can be very busy because it’s a small office and has one ultrasound room so there is a wait sometimes. Never more than maybe 10 minuets but they have water and snack so I never mind!
Dr.C has some of the most reasonable prices around! He know not everybody has unlimited funds or Medicsl coverage. In totalmeds cost about $1700 and the rest of the cycle including ICSI, testing and transfer was about $8,000.
Scottsdale

The initial consultation was almost an hour. Dr Couvaras was very detailed in our initial consultation. Since the first consultation there have been some mistakes that have made us feel less human and like we didn’t matter as much because we are not doing IVF right away... looks into way more then just the basics my other RE looked at. He looks at inflammation and immune response for a well rounded approach. I do feel like he could have more of a warm bedside manner especially when explaining set backs.
The staff [at IVF Phoenix] have all been very nice; however, I did notice that after the one month of treatment when we were preparing for our IUI mistakes were made. I was told to take several medications when I needed to stop them. Another big example is a prior authorization that was supposed to be started so I could take medication on a specific date after our IUI. It was never started and there were no answers as to why...The clinic is very caring and Dr. Couvaras and his wife are dedicated to helping others achieve their dream of a baby in their arms. The clinic does struggle with detail and some organization, but it is a very nice office and then do respond in a timely manner.
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
Dr. Couvaras is very detailed and looks into way more then just the basics my other RE looked at. He looks at inflammation and immune response for a well rounded approach. I do feel like he could have more of a warm bedside manner especially when explaining set backs.
Be prepared for a detailed regimen including exercise and diet and do everything he tells you to a T.
Dr. Couvaras initially started me on Heaparin injections twice daily do to a small clotting factor he found. I also showed a marker for HSV6 virus that he was concerned about so I was taking high doses of Acyclovir in addition to lovestatin and other vitamin supplements. He believed that my immune system was trying to fight something off. I was also out on an anti-histamine diet and specific excercise regimen (between 3-7pm heat rate 140’s). This was for two months leading up to our IUI. We are still pending IUI results.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at IVF Phoenix.
The staff have all been very nice; however, I did notice that after the one month of treatment when we were preparing for our IUI mistakes were made. I was told to take several medications when I needed to stop them. Another big example is a prior authorization that was supposed to be started so I could take medication on a specific date after our IUI. It was never started and there were no answers as to why.
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
Our insurance is contracted with this office so after we hit our deductible it was covered by 95%!
Scottsdale

Dr. C [Couvaras] spends a lot of time working with his patients as individuals and developing specific treatment plans for specific problems. He tries to find the underlying issue instead of masking the symptoms of the issues. When things didn't go the way we had hoped he spend his valuable time researching a solution to the problem and offered it as something to try.... Dr. C performs lots of blood work and diagnostics to find root causes of fertility issues. He uses supplements based on blood levels and then rechecks to make sure you're in the proper range. He digs deep into your medical history to put the whole picture together. Not just pieces here and there.
They [IVF Phoenix] have 2 offices to help work around your schedule and theirs. Very clean and quiet. There is definitely privacy during your appointments. There is room for your spouse/SO and yourself in each room I've been in. I never felt uncomfortable at either office.... The nursing staff is very patient and knowledgeable. They try to work with you as much as the schedule allows and help walk you thru the process when you're struggling. I was impressed by their knowledge and skills.
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
Dr. C spends a lot of time working with his patients as individuals and developing specific treatment plans for specific problems. He tries to find the underlying issue instead of masking the symptoms of the issues. When things didn't go the way we had hoped he spend his valuable time researching a solution to the problem and offered it as something to try. He is VERY knowledgeable in his field of work and makes sure you understand everything he has you doing before you even leave the office and start treatment. By far the best fertility specialist I have worked with.
Be patient. Follow his advice and don't get frustrated right off the bat. Give time for the treatments to work. Have faith in the process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Phoenix. (Assigned nurse: Courtney/Kara)
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
They have 2 offices to help work around your schedule and theirs. Very clean and quiet. There is definitely privacy during your appointments. There is room for your spouse/SO and yourself in each room I've been in. I never felt uncomfortable at either office.
For IVF cycle we paid $6750. This does not include FET, medications, or emergency weekend appointments. However it does include the first year of storage for frozen embryos.
Scottsdale

Dr. Couvaras was always kind and courteous. We also answered our questions and we never felt rushed when we were in the office. He always made sure to ask us if we had any other questions before we left....I had a low white blood cell count and Dr. Couvaras put me on a cleanse of vitamins, medications and Heparin shots to increase my count. I was on it for a month and my number went up drastically after the cleanse. All of my other tests came back normal but unfortunately, my husband suffers from male factor infertility and we were told that IVF is our only option.
IVF Phoenix is full of kind, caring and helpful people. They do their best to accommodate all of your needs and answer all of your questions. I felt extremely comfortable every time I went to an appointment. I think it's encouraging to know that Dr. Couvaras and his team are dedicated to getting to the root of the cause of why you aren't getting pregnant. I would recommend any of my friends and family to see him when they are trying to conceive.... The HSG test I had done was around $300. My husband's semen analysis tests were each around $180.
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
Be patient but know that Dr. Couvaras has your best interest at heart.
I never felt rushed or like my questions were stupid. Dr. Couvaras took the time to explain everything in detail to us.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at IVF Phoenix.
Everyone I encountered at IVF Phoenix was helpful and compassionate.
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
My co-pay for each visit was $60 through my insurance. The HSG test I had done was around $300. My husband's semen analysis tests were each around $180. All of the expenses added up which is why we haven't started IVF yet since we simply can't afford it. We're trying, by the grace of God, to start a family naturally while we save money to afford IVF.
I love how Dr. Couvaras gets to the root of the cause. The only complaint I would ever have, if any, is that I wish he could do more to help my husband's male factor.
Mesa

Always saw and spoke with the doctor [Dr. Couvaras]....He used vaginal birth control to suppress ovaries and then vaginal estrace to build lining.. added IM progesterone and suppositories for the 6 days before transfer and then again after. We did one intralipid transfusion before the transfer as well and several months “clean up” with immunosuppressants and antivirals before we started.
Small office [IVF Phoenix - Scottsdale] and you learn the staffs names...They were nice. Did not spend a lot of time with them [nurses] as you typically see the doctor...Costs were straightforward and you knew about them in advance. They charged my regular copay for a 10 minute phone call which was the only thing I disagreed with.
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
He is overly sensitive and got upset I went to a second opinion elsewhere. But he spent a lot of time with us at each visit and explained things completely. He answered all of our questions and drew diagrams of what he was trying to explain.
Don’t be surprised if your diagnosis changes. I was UN-diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve.
Always saw and spoke with the doctor. The office staff knows your name and is willing to talk to you.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at IVF Phoenix.
They were nice. Did not spend a lot of time with them as you typically see the doctor.
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
Small office and you learn the staffs names. I think he puts every patient on heparin daily so don’t be surprised if you get it too. This office will assess issues no one else will and is closest to seeing a reproductive immunologist.
FET was 3500 for the cycle. Costs were straightforward and you knew about them in advance. They charged my regular copay for a 10 minute phone call which was the only thing I disagreed with.
Scottsdale

He [Dr. Couvaras] made many lifestyle changes to get me to have a 28-29 day cycle every month...We just did an iui with femara and Hgh and heparin...He looked at my total history. Diagnosed me and tried lifestyle changes before meds. I like everything about his way of treatment. If I can just get pregnant again, I do feel he will get me to carry full term...Each month they chart and tried to modify my treatment for the best possible outcome.
[The nursing staff at IVF Phoenix is] Cold and unorganized...I get told different prices for stuff. Told to buy trigger shot, then I never used it. They let me leave w/o medication. I then needed to drive back to get it a half hour one way and 45 mins the other way...the nurses are not organized and every time you call and speak to a different nurse you get a different answer...Each month they chart and tried to modify my treatment for the best possible outcome.
Just trust in his ways.
He made many lifestyle changes to get me to have a 28-29 day cycle every month. We did timed intercourse and haven’t got pregnant yet in her care. We just did an iui with femara and Hgh and heparin. I test in 2 days. We will see. This is our last try with anything as we can’t afford anything else.
Cold and unorganized.
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
He seems to get really good results. I only wish I had found him 3 years ago and didn’t waste my money on other worthless doctors. They are weeks b/c the nurses are not organized and every time you call and speak to a different nurse you get a different answer.
Meds were expensive. He office visits were reasonable and covered by insurance.
Scottsdale
I’ve felt he [Dr. Couvaras] has looked at me as an individual, not as a standard group that most drs look at.... I love that he has gone above and beyond to dig deeper than any other dr I have seen, to find out the reason my body won’t sustain a pregnancy. He has me on my own individual protocol that is specifically for my body based on blood work... So far he has had me on many different vitamins and supplements to treat viruses and inflammation in my body. My blood work has improved quite a bit in just a few short mo the but he is still researching to figure out how to get it to it’s best before pregnancy!
They [IVF Phoenix] are great because they will do more than just the standard testing you get done at other offices. They are very helpful at laying everything out and walking you through the process that can be overwhelming and confusing....I’ve had great experiences with the staff. They’ve sat with me and explained every medication and future plans to a full understanding... So far he [Dr. Couvaras] has had me on many different vitamins and supplements to treat viruses and inflammation in my body. My blood work has improved quite a bit in just a few short
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
He will look at you as an individual and come up with a very specific plan.
I’ve felt he has looked at me as an individual, not as a standard group that most drs look at.
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
They are great because they will do more than just the standard testing you get done at other offices. They are very helpful at laying everything out and walking you through the process that can be overwhelming and confusing.
Mesa
He [Dr. Couvaras] really explains things to you so that you understand. He made me feel at ease and so much better about switching over from another clinic. He gives you a flowsheet each time you have a visit, so you always know what to expect or what the next step is....I am taking supplements and started Heparin injections. I was on Clomid for 5 days and am now in the process of getting ultrasounds done to check my follicles and bloodwork. We are planning for our IUI next week.
The clinic [IVF Phoenix] is really good at communicating. They are always there for you whenever you have a question. I feel very confident in having switched over from another clinic. I feel much more at ease and feel as though there is a plan in place.... The nursing staff is always available either by phone, text, ke the patient portal. They have always been nice and helpful in anything that I needed or any questions that I have had.
How was your experience with John Couvaras at IVF Phoenix?
He really explains things to you so that you understand. He made me feel at ease and so much better about switching over from another clinic. He gives you a flowsheet each time you have a visit, so you always know what to expect or what the next step is.
Follow the plan set forth by him!
He really looks at you as a person, in order to develop an individualized plan to meet your needs.
Describe your experience with IVF Phoenix.
The clinic is really good at communicating. They are always there for you whenever you have a question. I feel very confident in having switched over from another clinic. I feel much more at ease and feel as though there is a plan in place.
Unfortunately my insurance is not covering anything so we are all put of pocket cash pay.