Medical SchoolDuke
Arlington Office 4040 North Fairfax Drive
Arlington, VA 22203
3620 Joseph Siewick Drive
Fairfax, VA 22033
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend John David Gordon to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Dominion Fertility to a friend?
Dr. Gordon comes out to greet you in the waiting room. He understands that we are seeking answers and options and he is clear about his expectations. I never felt that he didn't take my concerns seriously or that he did not understand how difficult it is to start to try and conceive again after having a stillborn a year ago.... Dr. Gordon's hopeful and optimistic attitude combined with his frankness when describing expectations and risks was very much appreciated. I wanted to feel like he understood and cared about my history and that any course of treatment that he prescribed was carefully tailored to my case.
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Even though we are dealing with the stressful topic of infertility after having a stillborn, Dr. Gordon's hopeful and optimistic attitude combined with his frankness when describing expectations and risks was very much appreciated. I wanted to feel like he understood and cared about my history and that any course of treatment that he prescribed was carefully tailored to my case. So far, 3 rounds of letrozole/novarel/timed intercourse failed and we are hopefully to do IVF once we get tests and finances straightened out. I will be nervous, of course, given that I have lost a son at 32 weeks due to unknown causes. I appreciated that he was direct and confident in his approach and very knowledgeable. As someone who is seeking answers, he has done his best to give us answers to the extent that he could and if he couldn't, he would explain why. As for a con, I wish I could have more time to ask more questions and talk to him more about my concerns. It's not like he rushes us out, but I think consultations should be longer than 30 minutes.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
write down all the questions you have ahead of time. Be informed about your own case and be your own advocate.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Describe the protocols John David Gordon used in your cycles at Dominion Fertility and their degree of success.
After being dx'ed with lean PCOS, he prescribed Metformin, which I didn't want to take/didn't tolerate too much. He said I could stop taking it if that was the case; I am not insulin resistant. I took Letrozole from days 5-9 of my cycle, then we would do u/s monitoring and then take Novarel to force ovulation. We did this timed intercourse for three months, which did not work for us for whatever reason. His advice was that we should try a different approach after 3 times of trying this, and I agree. He also knew that as someone who had a stillborn, I am not able to handle the disappointment each month and I would not want to be trying w/o success (or likelihood of success) each month w/o a plan. We discussed IUI and IVF options; he didn't push either. We chose IVF. We start next cycle.
Very nice and very responsive over email, which is good for me, especially during the business hours. If I ask a question over email before 2pm, I can expect an answer same day. They are all pleasant in person and seem to run a tight ship.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
Arlington location - clean, nice relaxing environment, modern, organized. Receptionists are kind and not rude, which is HUGE. I feel that so many times, doctors' offices have rude receptionists. The wait time is relatively insignificant.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility.
$600 so far for 3 rounds of letrozole/novarel/progesterone pills
Describe John David Gordon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Dominion Fertility.
Dr. Gordon does not encourage multiple embryo transfer because it is more high risk. I agree with this approach. After suffering a major loss, I do not want to add more risk to pregnancy -- something that is riskier than I had ever expected.
Arlington
Dr. Gordon was very warm and understanding during the process, but provided us with a frank assessment of our situation and potential courses of action.... Dr. Gordon is an excellent fit who will show empathy to those who need it. Our process was particularly difficult because my partner and I had experienced a stillbirth following difficulties becoming pregnant. Dr. Gordon did not shy away from referencing our history and showed sympathy for our situation in addition to factoring it into our treatment.
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Gordon has been very helpful and understanding for us throughout the process, and I have trusted the medical advice he has provided and the course of treatments he has recommended. He has been supportive and has given us good advice that enabled us to make an informed decision in deciding whether to continue with IUI treatments or to move on to more aggressive treatment measures, such as IVF.
Dr. Gordon recommended a 3 month course of IUI given that we had solid and healthy fertility factors for our age (I'm 38 and my partner is 37). After that was not successful, he allowed us to make an informed decision as to whether to pursue more aggressive (and more expensive options). I appreciate that I did not feel any pressure from him to pursue the more aggressive option. He presented the options and let us make the decision.
The nursing staff was very prepared and professional at all times. They were helpful in answering questions they were able to answer, and telling us which questions should be directed to the doctor.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
The clinic is very clean and well-organized. The staff is very professional and they have a nice large waiting room. It is a comfortable place to receive treatment. They have available clinic hours for weekend visits to obtain certain treatments or tests. The place seems well-run and we have never had to wait too long to be seen. Sometimes there has been no wait at all. Scheduling appointments has been easy and hassle-free.
It was a few hundred dollars for our first few rounds of IUI. We are considering options for IVF that range from about $16,000 to $26,000.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
I think he’s a good doctor. Very caring and he’s tried as much as I think he can at this point. He’s been empathetic with us and has met with us to discuss our options. He doesn’t seem like he’s in it only for the money and is invested in us being successful with whatever decision we choose.... Dr. Gordon explained that I may want to consider other avenues (child-free, adoption or donor egg) since we were spending so much money and time and not getting the results that we wanted.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Ask a lot of questions and come prepared with options to try.
Dr. Gordon explained that I may want to consider other avenues (child-free, adoption or donor egg) since we were spending so much money and time and not getting the results that we wanted. I appreciated him saying this, but I also think I was in the right headspace to receive it unlike before when another fertility doctor said the exact same thing.
Tried stimulating me even though my prognosis was that I wouldn’t be a high responder. I wish we hadn’t wasted the time and money on this and tried the other option which was a modified natural IVF. This would help to control my early ovulation. The modified cycle produced one egg, but it wasn’t viable. The stimulated treatment didn’t produce any egg in my follicle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Christina)
The nursing staff here is amazing!! Hey really take the time out to educate you on the treatment, how to administer the treatment, and just being very personable.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
I like the clinic. It’s easy to get to and it’s clean. I like the Arlington clinic for aesthetics only. They’re very organized and I like that the staff a talk to each other so it’s less chance of miscommunication.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Dominion Fertility.
The monitoring appointments are scheduled during convenient hours when you’re typically on your way to work. I’ve never seen more than 2 women waiting to be seen here. Everything is kept confidential and sign-in and sign-out is easy.
For the stimulated IVF, it was around $24,000. For the modified IVF, it was the same cost as the natural cycle at around $5,000, but with increased cost of meds which wasn’t covered by my insurance for over $1,000. Consultation visits were $250/visit.
Dr. Gordon said he’d only transfer one depending on my age.
Fairfax
He [Dr. Gordon] tells you like it is but is clearly compassionate and invested in the process with you. We saw Dr. Gordon during most of our visits during monitoring, and he did all our procedures, so we really felt we got to know him and were sad he couldn't be with us through the whole pregnancy. I haven't had such a good experience with a doctor putting us at ease yet patiently answering all our questions in a long time...
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Gordon was always very clear that he didn't have all the answers. He tells you like it is but is clearly compassionate and invested in the process with you. We saw Dr. Gordon during most of our visits during monitoring, and he did all our procedures, so we really felt we got to know him and were sad he couldn't be with us through the whole pregnancy. I haven't had such a good experience with a doctor putting us at ease yet patiently answering all our questions in a long time.
I'll still remember some of his advice and pass it on to friends who are in similar situations, but when we were struggling to decide whether we wanted to do IVF and then if we wanted to do natural or stimulated, he agreed that it was a hard decision, helping us understand pros and cons with all options. He also said if you had cancer, you would never question trying to get the best care for yourself. In this situation, you can think of it the same way, but people struggle because cancer really never spontaneously cures itself whereas infertility can. Not sure if that was the intention, but that put it in perspective for me that this was a medical issue that we were treating not some failure on our part.
At Columbia Fertility, I felt like a number. I could never get over how many people were processed there each time I went in for monitoring, and it felt very impersonal, but at Dominion, they said hello to me by name at check-in. They asked what time would be best for monitoring, so they could have enough staff at peak hours, resulting in us usually be in and out within half an hour. During my egg retrieval, I was very emotional, and the nurses and Dr. Gordon took the time to answer all my questions and comfort me, following up with a call later that day to check in. When we heard the heartbeat for the first time, I cried, and so did our nurse. I always felt like they were all just as invested as we were, hugging us both after our last appointment. We were sad to have to go to a new doctor and wanted to stay with them for the whole pregnancy!
We had already done a failed IUI at another clinic and went to Dr. Gordon wanting to learn more about natural cycle IVF as we were still unsure about stimulated IVF. Having talked through our options, he thought we were good candidates for both natural and stimulated. However, it was our decision to do stimulated in the end because we knew our insurance only allowed us to do one round, and we decided it was best in our situation.
Besides Dr. Gordon, this is the best part about Dominion. Every single nurse we met was wonderful, and we felt they truly cared for us and were invested in the best results for us. They were so caring and made us feel so at ease. I was very emotional after the egg retrieval, and the nurse helping us that day let me cry on her shoulder and called me later to check up on me. The nurse with us the last few appointments was so happy when she heard that I'd had a positive home pregnancy test and cried when I cried hearing the heartbeat for the first time. There's no doubt in my mind that we weren't just numbers. They all really cared for us.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
The clinic as a whole walks you through every step of the process, so there's nothing to tell a new patient. They'll help you as you go along. They were always prompt with paperwork and everything we needed. We were assigned a coordinator who helped order medicine and checked in with us on setting up appointments. The whole process was very smooth.
At Columbia, monitoring was absolutely a cattle call, but at Dominion, it was a well oiled machine. We were generally in and out with about half an hour. Each visit they asked when we usually come for monitoring, so they can be prepared for staffing at peak hours. We were always promptly seen. No complaints.
Our insurance covered most costs, but we do pay for embryo storage, the injection teaching, visits after I was pregnant and couple other things. Overall, we did spend a lot, but it wasn't nearly as much as it would have been without insurance.
2009 - 2015
2 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
I stayed with him for 10 treatments because I knew he was doing the best he could... He can be really blunt, he won't hold your hand and cry with you. He will be very honest and not sell you a procedure or a statistic that won't work.
2009 - 2015
2 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
I consulted with multiple groups before undergoing fertility treatments. Dr. Gordon was the right fit from the beginning. He was straightforward, blunt, and gave just the right amount of sympathy without making me feel more sorry for myself. We had a lot of procedures that did not result in a pregnancy, and he was there for my pregnancies that ended in miscarriage. I always appreciated his personal phone calls and follow up with my OB. We also came to value his approach to trying again (or not) and was always willing to try (or at least discuss) some of my own ideas. Over multiple years I used up several lifetime limits on different insurance programs. Once I had decided to use an egg donor and knew I would be paying out of pocket for 100% of the cost of treatment, there was no question that I would be going to Dominion Fertility and Dr. Gordon. Once I finally had success and brought home a real live baby, I felt like I was bringing the baby to visit the "family" who made him possible.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Natalie Sophia)
Natalie Sophia (who runs the donor egg program) was one of the most ethical and professional nurses I have ever met. She answered every single once of my many emails and questions within 24 hours. She was also hopeful and optimistic when I was not.
Monitoring was from 7 to 9 am. I could be out of there within 35 min (even when the waiting room was full). The nurses even gave me the advice that if I was more flexible on leaving, 8:30 would mean a less full waiting room.
2012 - 2013
One cycle [with John David Gordon] was natural cycle ivf, so there were no injectable medications used. This cycle produced a viable embryo transferred on day 5, but no pregnancy...Very personal care with Dr. Gordon...very honest and is great at explain procedures and what to expect with each procedure. He also works slowly and gently during procedures, so it does not feel rushed. He talked to my husband and I throughout the transfers to explain what was going on. He always took the time to explain things during meetings when a transfer did not work.
2012 - 2013
European, Latino
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Gordon is very honest and is great at explain procedures and what to expect with each procedure. He also works slowly and gently during procedures, so it does not feel rushed. He talked to my husband and I throughout the transfers to explain what was going on. He always took the time to explain things during meetings when a transfer did not work.
Trust in the protocols he prescribes. He will change what needs to be changed if a protocol does not work.
Very personal care with Dr. Gordon, his staff and all of the nurses. They all had great bedside manner and care about their patients. I always felt they were doing what was best for me and my husband.
I do not remember the specific protocols used. I know that I always produced enough eggs to create embryos. One cycle was natural cycle ivf, so there were no injectable medications used. This cycle produced a viable embryo transferred on day 5, but no pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Sam)
They were all very caring and compassionate. They work very early hours and see a great deal of patients each day, but I always felt they were there to listen and take care of me.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
They are very honest and forthcoming with any information about my history and future cycles. Dr. Gordon explains everything very well so that one can understand. There is so much to take in during an ivf cycle but they all do a great job to help you not to feel overwhelmed.
Monitoring was during early morning hours, before work, which worked for me. The nurses were very quickly during this time to see all of the patients they needed to see.
My employer covered fertility treatments 100% so I was very fortunate not to have paid anything except for the cryopreservation of embryos.
They strongly recommended transferring 1 embryo during my second and third transfer. My first transfer was from natural cycle ivf, so it only produced one egg. On my third transfer, I wanted to transfer two embryos, and they very specifically warned me that I could end up with twins, which is high-risk.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Gordon always cared about me and answered every question I have with a lot of patience....Dr. Gordon seems to be a good professional and a very nice person. He is patient and willing to help you throughout the entire process. I was lucky that my egg retrievals were during the week so he was able to do them. If the egg retrievals had been during a weekend when he was not working, another doctor would have done them. I don't like that. Fortunately, I was lucky.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Get informed about the process and ask as many questions as you can.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility.
The nurse always answered my emails the same day. It was more difficult to reach on the phone.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
The clinic is well organized and everybody is very polite. The team of nurses are very skilled and nice. Everybody seems ready to help you and answer your questions. It is not difficult to get an appointment with your doctor; however, doctors don't provide you their emails. If you have questions, you have to contact the nurses. When you call the nurses, you always have to leave a message and then they will call you back. I would prefer that they pick up the calls. I used to get nervous that I would miss their calls and then I would have to leave another message and wait for their call again.
The monitoring is "first come, first served". The monitoring hours start early and end at 9AM. I think the time frame is very convenient.
Arlington
I felt that my care [with Dr. John David Gordon] was very personalized... He was very realistic and honest yet presented things in an optimistic manner. He was willing to try when no other doctor would. He was communicative therefore I never had questions...The strategy he used that ultimately led to pregnancy for me was putting me on birth control pills to reset my hormones. This was after my third monitoring cycle which lasted over three months. The BCP reset worked.
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
I love Dr. Gordon. He was the perfect doctor for me. He was very realistic and honest yet presented things in an optimistic manner. He was willing to try when no other doctor would. He was communicative therefore I never had questions.
Don’t wait! Infertility is stressful. You need a doctor who will also be a cheerleader and team member with you. Dr. Gordon is that doctor!
I felt that my care was very personalized. Dominion uses a team approach but Dr. Gordon was very involved the entire time. They treated me more like a member of their family.
I love the nurses at Dominion. They treated me as if I was their only patient. They were always supportive, always positive, and even sprinkled me with fairy dust.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
The clinic’s strengths are communication and individualized care. I have found no weaknesses. Things to know are the same for all fertility offices - be prepared to pay prior to receiving services. The costs are high, although I found Dominion to be less expensive than other practices.
My monitoring experience was good. The nurses were fantastic.
I do not remember specifics. My insurance covered doctor visits.
2014 - 2017
Dr. Gordon has had to delivery both good and bad news to us over the last few years. He has celebrated with us in the good moments and has been very supportive when our results haven't been what we wanted. It's all felt like a very human experience...Dr. Gordon is definitely a character and has a big personality. He can be blunt and very matter of fact. That doesn't bother me but any potential patients should know that as if you need a kinder touch, he may not be the right fit.
2014 - 2017
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. Gordon is definitely a character and has a big personality. He can be blunt and very matter of fact. That doesn't bother me but any potential patients should know that as if you need a kinder touch, he may not be the right fit. He's lovely and very kind, he just often says what needs to be said. Most importantly, I found Dr. Gordon very good about recommending to us a wide variety of options for treatment. He might suggest how we proceed, but he was always very clear about our options and totally open to our preference. He also often references research and what medical studies say about increased rates of success (for example, recommending endometrial biopsy in order to increase the chance of successful subsequent FETs) which we liked a lot. Made us feel like we were dealing with a true professional.
Best best best nursing staff around. Friendly, caring, gentle.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
It is well organized, well run, and easy to work with. Our experience was nothing but positive.
Quick and convenient.
Our insurance covered a great deal of the costs (minus the medications unfortunately). It was expensive but the finance department was great about reaching out proactively to discuss upcoming treatments.
Arlington
I have had an amazing experience with Dr Gordon. After going off my birth control medicine, I had experienced rapid and unexplained weight gain over the past 18 months, and had seen almost a dozen specialists and had been tested for everything from thyroid disease to brain tumors, without being able to identify the cause. Within 5 minutes of meeting Dr Gordon he suggested that it was PCOS, and he was correct. I'm now mediciates for PCOS and have been losing the weight.
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Come with questions - he is very patient and has spent a lot of time answering all of mine!
Because of both PCOS and male factor infertility, Dr Gordon did not recommend trying Clomid. He did suggest IUI, but we decided to skip right to IVF since the success rates are so much higher
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
The clinic runs like a well oiled machine, with everyone (including the finance folks) right on site
Expensive but worth it. $24,500 for the guarantee program, which guarantees a live birth or you get the money back, and covers 4 IVF cycles and all transfers
Dr Gordon strongly encourages single transfer, since it is safer and has a much higher success rate. His office does offer a "guarantee program" that we qualified for, so there is no extra expense to us to do one at a time.
Fairfax
We had an excellent experience with Dr Gordon.We had been trying to get pregnant for almost 10 years and thanks to Dr Gordon, we are now the parents of two children. He was compassionate, caring,honest...we really had a wonderful experience with him. In our journey to get pregnant, we saw many fertility doctors and Dr Gordon was by far the best one....I had a natural cycle IVF...Do not hesitate to ask any questions.He will respond honestly .
How was your experience with John David Gordon at Dominion Fertility?
Do not hesitate to ask any questions.He will respond honestly .
The doctor and the nurses were all very caring.
I had a natural cycle IVF
The nurses were great.They were very caring and competent.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
They are caring, competent .