Medical SchoolU. of Cincinnati
FellowshipU. of Connecticut
475 Market Place
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
734-763-4323
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend John F. Randolph to a friend?

4.1

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
Dr Randolph was very kind and compassionate and was easy to talk to. He made me feel comfortable, and took things at the pace I was comfortable with. He spent a lot of time with me when I met with him, and was very pleasant and supportive. I would definitely recommend him to others....I used femara with injection for 3 cycles. We were diagnosed with unexplained infertility, however I suffered a ruptured appendix and have sever abdominal scarring, so this could be the cause of our infertility. Because of my scarring, we decided to take the conservative approach as I would be considered "high risk."
How was your experience with John F. Randolph at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John F. Randolph at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Be honest with him and bring every detail of your medical history, cycle information, etc. The more information that you have, the better.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John F. Randolph at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Dr Randolph was extremely kind and understanding. He spent a lot of time with you, he listened well, and was very easy to talk to.
Describe the protocols John F. Randolph used in your cycles at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I used femara with injection for 3 cycles. We were diagnosed with unexplained infertility, however I suffered a ruptured appendix and have sever abdominal scarring, so this could be the cause of our infertility. Because of my scarring, we decided to take the conservative approach as I would be considered "high risk." During the treatments, complex cysts were discovered in my ovaries (possibly endometriomas?) and I discontinued treatment as I wanted time to figure out the cysts, and try to shrink/rid them before proceeding.
They are all very kind and quick to respond. They are comporting while you are there, so you feel very comfortable and at ease. They respond quickly when you send them a message via the portal, or call the office.
Describe your experience with University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine.
It's a great clinic. I was very pleased with my time there. They are all very knowledgeable, and compassionate. The clinic is clean and efficient and I never had to wait long. Every staff member that I encountered was very easy to talk to, listened well, as well as showed understanding and support for where you are at in your infertility journey.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John F. Randolph at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine.
The cost wasn't too bad... I only did visits, ultrasounds and a few medications. Insurance covered most of these procedures. If I went further with treatments, the costs would have significantly increased.
Ann Arbor

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John F. Randolph at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine.

Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor
Dr. Randolph was always kind and caring, even when we were under a lot of stress. He responded to my messages very quickly and is very knowledgeable. He seems pretty laid back which helped to calm me down when I was feeling very anxious. I did three IUIs that all failed, but Dr. Randolph did not actually perform any of them... Dr. Randolph always took lots of time to answer all of our questions and never seemed rushed.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor
There are many good doctors at Michigan and Dr. Randolph is definitely one of them. Write your questions down ahead of time so you remember to ask them all!
Three femara with ovidrel and timed intercourse and progesterone followed by three femara with ovidrel and iui and progesterone. All failed.
The nursing staff at this clinic is awesome. They are the ones responding to most of the online messages, and I love far away so I sent them A LOT of messages rather than coming in for visits. The only bad experience I had was when they told me to take a medication I had just mentioned I was allergic to.
The front desk staff is really awesome in general. So friendly and efficient and they often recognize you when you come in. I had one weird experience at my first IUI when the person who checked my husband in didn't understand why he was there (I guess the semen collection was in my name?) and we basically had to shout that we were there for an IUI in front of everyone in the waiting room. While I was waiting this same person told me that I would get pregnant if it was meant to be, which honestly made me feel pretty crappy.
My insurance didn't cover IUI. It was about $600 per try. IUI drugs were very cheap. PGS is about $3000. Not sure yet how much IVF will be.
Describe John F. Randolph's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine.
We were not given a choice, one embryo is all they will do.
What specific things went wrong at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Ann Arbor

Dr. Randolph was very thorough in explaining every step, and treatment. He treated us like an individual case, and not a number. He was hopeful, but also realistic in our treatment plan.... Dr. Randolph was compassionate, and very thorough. I always felt he had my best interests at heart. He explained my treatments, and plan thoroughly, and answered all my questions as best he could. He also never made me feel less than for dealing with infertility. He also never made me feel my questions or worries were silly. He comforted me when I was upset, and was exactly what I needed in this journey.
Be prepared to be treated like you are important, and not just a number.
We started with clomid for our first cycle of IUI. I responded decently, but the IUI was unsuccessful. The next time we switched to femara, and again the IuI was unsuccessful. Our third cycle I didn’t respond great to the femara, so they upped my dose, for the next cycle. Again it wasn’t successful, but I did respond well to the femara.
The nurses were also very thorough. They were kind, and treated us with respect each time we came in. I never felt like a number, or that my questions were annoying.
Strengths would be the care and careful treatment of each case. I felt like they looked into our case with a fine tooth comb, and took it serious. I also felt like they were organized and helpful every time I called. I could easily reach the nurses through the patient portal, and hey always got back to me quickly. The clinic is open 364 days a year, so I knew no matter when my cycle fell I was in good hands. The only weakness is that they didn’t offer many payment options for people who can’t afford IVF. I wish the financial advisor there told us more if there were financing options, or third party lendors they worked with.
IUI was around $1k for each cycle, and IVF was around 10k for the first cycle.
Ann Arbor

He [Dr. John Randolph] made it very comfortable due to the fact that I am so young and already have to take hormones for my overall health due to the fact that my body doesn’t produce them due to Turner syndrome which diminished my ovarian reserve.... It’s a weird situation already having to go to a fertility/ obgyn doctor at 18 but the nerves quickly went away after meeting certain people there and the doctor himself especially.
Everyone at the clinic was so nice. It’s a weird situation already having to go to a fertility/ obgyn doctor at 18 but the nerves quickly went away after meeting certain people there and the doctor himself especially.
He really cares and wants you to have he family you deserve. Even though I haven’t done IVF with donor eggs yet you can just tell he wants you to win and overcome this.
He made it very comfortable due to the fact that I am so young and already have to take hormones for my overall health due to the fact that my body doesn’t produce them due to Turner syndrome which diminished my ovarian reserve.
In the future I will be doing an IVF cycle with donor eggs or embryo adoption.
You can communicate with them through an app and they are very quick to respond.
It can be overwhelming when you get into the the waiting area as there are several offices in the waiting area that aren’t his but once you get settled you are all good. The person who greets you at the door is usually amazing because they do not know what you’re going through and want to make you feel comfortable. They get all your vitals and then send you to a room to see the doctor.
For me due to the donor eggs and possible embryo adoption situation it will be those fees and then adding ivf to that can be up to $30,000
He evaluates your personal situation to make those decisions. I am small and can only transfer one embryo at a time.
Northville

John Randolph is very sweet and compassionate. However, he is part of UM which follows very standard protocols. There isn't much individualization. As a patient, you have to push them to make change. If you are an easy case, UM can be great. But for a harder diagnosis, I would seek a more aggressive clinic personally. They are very conservative in their approaches.
He is kind and caring. If you have a rather easy IVF case, UM can be great.
Dr. John Randolph has very good bedside manner. He is very kind and sympathetic. Within this clinic, he is one of the best. However, UM as a whole treats everyone as a number when it comes to their protocols. They are not very creative and as a patient you really need to advocate for yourself if you are a hard case.
UM is a huge fan of lupron protocols. They tend to start all patients on this. They will do an antagonist protocol after failure.
Like anywhere, some staff are better than others. Overall, they get the job done. You will bond with some and not as much with others. It is a large staff.
Strength: Associated with a big health system. Easy access to different laboratories etc. Let you cycle on schedule that works for you. Weakness: Tend to use standard protocols
8,000 OOP for IVF, insurance for meds and workup
UM is set on transferring one under the age of 35. May consider 2 after the age of 35.

PCOS, Tubal Blockage
[Dr. John Randolph is] Smart, caring, warm, funny, compassionate, well respected, and knows what he is doing. He has made this process as bearable as possible...I have confidence he will do what he can to ensure I have a family...Letrozol for 4 (3 timed and 1 IUI) Gonalf, menopur, cetrotide, and trigger shot for egg retrieval. Both of my transfers were prepped with Estrace, prometrium, prednisilone, and baby aspirin.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Smart, caring, warm, funny, compassionate, well respected, and knows what he is doing. He has made this process as bearable as possible. Even though we are still pending our fresh transfer results, I have confidence he will do what he can to ensure I have a family
Relax and ask questions, he will go over everything
You can tell he has a family and truly wants me to have one of my own. He is so intelligent, but so caring and made my husband and I very comfortable
Very compassionate, responsive, understanding, and sweet. Always there to help and calm my nerves
I think the hard part, but also what makes it incredible, with u of m is that it is linked to the hospital. They know what they are doing and constantly researching. That makes it less of a "fun clinic ". There are no care baskets or anything like that. They are there to get you pregnant.
Mine has gone through insurance. So far about $8k out of pocket, but we also did PGS which is not covered
My dr prefers to not do multiple embryos for a transfer, due to the increase risks that go w that. We were happy he was looking after both mine and the baby's safety.

Other, Unexplained
Be prepared to wait a while to see him [Dr. John F. Randolph]...He felt like oral meds were the least intrusive and did not think I needed anything more. 5 months and still no pregnant but it takes 4 months to get back in to see him...When I do see him he is nice and optimistic which is comforting. My ultrasounds are all approved by other doctors so I feel like not everyone is on the same plan...He spent time and explained things... appointments don’t usually start on time.
Other, Unexplained
It’s really hard to get in to see him. When I do see him he is nice and optimistic which is comforting. My ultrasounds are all approved by other doctors so I feel like not everyone is on the same plan.
Be prepared to wait a while to see him.
He spent time and explained things.
I love that they’re very responsive to questions online.
It takes a while to get in. They’re always very busy and the appointments don’t usually start on time. The front desk seems a bit disorganized. There’s a neat library available to check out books on infertility.
It’s expensive. For anything insurance denies, they do offer a 40% off discount which I appreciate.

Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
He [Dr. John Randolph] is very experienced but sometimes he seemed in a rush, and I didn't feel very welcome to ask questions. However, when he did my surgery he was the kindest person ever. Also, it was hard for me to communicate with him directly.... Do not expect a warm doctor and do not feel intimidated. Ask as much as you need to.... He suggested Clomid and Ovidrel for some cycles to make my ovaries work better. They didn't work, mainly due to my endometriosis.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
He is very experienced but sometimes he seemed in a rush, and I didn't feel very welcome to ask questions. However, when he did my surgery he was the kindest person ever. Also, it was hard for me to communicate with him directly.
Some nurses and the doctor were kind of cold and didn't show empathy some times.
Some of them are very caring. Others are cold and didn't show empathy at all. They respond my emails promptly.
Waiting time sometimes is long. You do not communicate with your doctor directly, always through a nurse. Staff at the desk are just fine, not very warming either.
It was covered by my insurance. I only paid the copay.
Ann Arbor
I have only seen him [Dr. Randolph] twice so haven’t done a full round of IVF with him. Waiting for my husband to be on clomid for a few more months before we do anymore IVF. So far we really like him. We don’t have to wait long in the waiting room to see him. Both times I have seen him he has asked how am I doing both physically and mentally since this can be a frustring process... If he didn’t have a answer for me, he told me who to contact to get the answer I need.
I have only seen him twice so haven’t done a full round of IVF with him. Waiting for my husband to be on clomid for a few more months before we do anymore IVF. So far we really like him. We don’t have to wait long in the waiting room to see him. Both times I have seen him he has asked how am I doing both physically and mentally since this can be a frustring process.
Write down any questions you want to ask. If he didn’t have a answer for me, he told me who to contact to get the answer I need.
He sat with my husband and I and talked to us and made sure all of our questions were answered
We are not that far in our process yet
They are great and get back with you with any questions. We can communicate with them through a portal.
They get back to as soon as they can. Never waited overnight for a question to be answered. Never had to wait long in the waiting room. Dr. Randolph makes sure all your questions are answered before you leave. The staff is very friendly. As of now no weakness since we are not doing shots yet.
Not sure
Haven’t gotten that far yet.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor
I like that Dr. Randolph is so compassionate and caring. He spent as much time as we needed answering our questions. My complaint is that we had poorer outcomes than we had expected based on our testing and diagnosis.... Dr. Randolph is extremely compassionate and has a wonderful bedside manner.... The clinic uses a team approach, meaning you won't see the same doctor/nurse/technician for every appointment. This means you can often get questions answered more quickly than if you were only working with one person.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor
Advocate for yourself, and if there's a test you've heard of that you think you might need, ask for it.
Dr. Randolph is extremely compassionate and has a wonderful bedside manner.
We worked with a team of nurses. Whenever I sent a message through the portal, I would receive a reply back extremely quickly, sometimes immediately. 95% of the nurses I interacted with in person were wonderful and very compassionate.
We were very much encouraged to transfer one embryo, which we did. Dr. Randolph recognizes the risks to mother and baby that come with multiples.