Medical SchoolU. of Cincinnati
FellowshipU. of Connecticut
475 Market Place
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
734-763-4323
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend John F. Randolph to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor
Dr. Randolph was always kind and caring, even when we were under a lot of stress. He responded to my messages very quickly and is very knowledgeable. He seems pretty laid back which helped to calm me down when I was feeling very anxious. I did three IUIs that all failed, but Dr. Randolph did not actually perform any of them... Dr. Randolph always took lots of time to answer all of our questions and never seemed rushed.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor
How was your experience with John F. Randolph at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John F. Randolph at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine?
There are many good doctors at Michigan and Dr. Randolph is definitely one of them. Write your questions down ahead of time so you remember to ask them all!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John F. Randolph at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols John F. Randolph used in your cycles at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Three femara with ovidrel and timed intercourse and progesterone followed by three femara with ovidrel and iui and progesterone. All failed.
The nursing staff at this clinic is awesome. They are the ones responding to most of the online messages, and I love far away so I sent them A LOT of messages rather than coming in for visits. The only bad experience I had was when they told me to take a medication I had just mentioned I was allergic to.
Describe your experience with University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine.
The front desk staff is really awesome in general. So friendly and efficient and they often recognize you when you come in. I had one weird experience at my first IUI when the person who checked my husband in didn't understand why he was there (I guess the semen collection was in my name?) and we basically had to shout that we were there for an IUI in front of everyone in the waiting room. While I was waiting this same person told me that I would get pregnant if it was meant to be, which honestly made me feel pretty crappy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John F. Randolph at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine.
My insurance didn't cover IUI. It was about $600 per try. IUI drugs were very cheap. PGS is about $3000. Not sure yet how much IVF will be.
Describe John F. Randolph's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine.
We were not given a choice, one embryo is all they will do.
What specific things went wrong at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Ann Arbor
Dr. Randolph was very thorough in explaining every step, and treatment. He treated us like an individual case, and not a number. He was hopeful, but also realistic in our treatment plan.... Dr. Randolph was compassionate, and very thorough. I always felt he had my best interests at heart. He explained my treatments, and plan thoroughly, and answered all my questions as best he could. He also never made me feel less than for dealing with infertility. He also never made me feel my questions or worries were silly. He comforted me when I was upset, and was exactly what I needed in this journey.
Be prepared to be treated like you are important, and not just a number.
We started with clomid for our first cycle of IUI. I responded decently, but the IUI was unsuccessful. The next time we switched to femara, and again the IuI was unsuccessful. Our third cycle I didn’t respond great to the femara, so they upped my dose, for the next cycle. Again it wasn’t successful, but I did respond well to the femara.
The nurses were also very thorough. They were kind, and treated us with respect each time we came in. I never felt like a number, or that my questions were annoying.
Strengths would be the care and careful treatment of each case. I felt like they looked into our case with a fine tooth comb, and took it serious. I also felt like they were organized and helpful every time I called. I could easily reach the nurses through the patient portal, and hey always got back to me quickly. The clinic is open 364 days a year, so I knew no matter when my cycle fell I was in good hands. The only weakness is that they didn’t offer many payment options for people who can’t afford IVF. I wish the financial advisor there told us more if there were financing options, or third party lendors they worked with.
IUI was around $1k for each cycle, and IVF was around 10k for the first cycle.
Ann Arbor
John Randolph is very sweet and compassionate. However, he is part of UM which follows very standard protocols. There isn't much individualization. As a patient, you have to push them to make change. If you are an easy case, UM can be great. But for a harder diagnosis, I would seek a more aggressive clinic personally. They are very conservative in their approaches.
He is kind and caring. If you have a rather easy IVF case, UM can be great.
Dr. John Randolph has very good bedside manner. He is very kind and sympathetic. Within this clinic, he is one of the best. However, UM as a whole treats everyone as a number when it comes to their protocols. They are not very creative and as a patient you really need to advocate for yourself if you are a hard case.
UM is a huge fan of lupron protocols. They tend to start all patients on this. They will do an antagonist protocol after failure.
Like anywhere, some staff are better than others. Overall, they get the job done. You will bond with some and not as much with others. It is a large staff.
Strength: Associated with a big health system. Easy access to different laboratories etc. Let you cycle on schedule that works for you. Weakness: Tend to use standard protocols
8,000 OOP for IVF, insurance for meds and workup
UM is set on transferring one under the age of 35. May consider 2 after the age of 35.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
[Dr. John Randolph is] Smart, caring, warm, funny, compassionate, well respected, and knows what he is doing. He has made this process as bearable as possible...I have confidence he will do what he can to ensure I have a family...Letrozol for 4 (3 timed and 1 IUI) Gonalf, menopur, cetrotide, and trigger shot for egg retrieval. Both of my transfers were prepped with Estrace, prometrium, prednisilone, and baby aspirin.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Smart, caring, warm, funny, compassionate, well respected, and knows what he is doing. He has made this process as bearable as possible. Even though we are still pending our fresh transfer results, I have confidence he will do what he can to ensure I have a family
Relax and ask questions, he will go over everything
You can tell he has a family and truly wants me to have one of my own. He is so intelligent, but so caring and made my husband and I very comfortable
Very compassionate, responsive, understanding, and sweet. Always there to help and calm my nerves
I think the hard part, but also what makes it incredible, with u of m is that it is linked to the hospital. They know what they are doing and constantly researching. That makes it less of a "fun clinic ". There are no care baskets or anything like that. They are there to get you pregnant.
Mine has gone through insurance. So far about $8k out of pocket, but we also did PGS which is not covered
My dr prefers to not do multiple embryos for a transfer, due to the increase risks that go w that. We were happy he was looking after both mine and the baby's safety.
Ann Arbor
Dr Randolph is compassionate and caring. He is easy to talk to and spends a lot of time with you. He makes you feel very comfortable. His whole office staff is very kind and it means so much especially during such an emotional time as fertility treatments.... We have unexplained infertility. We did 3 rounds of Femara with Ovidrel, however I developed complex cysts. It is not for sure known whether the medication causes the cysts or not, but we are on a break and I will be monitored to see if they go away on their own
Remember to tell the doctor everything you can about your specific issues, concerns, etc.
Dr Randolph is very kind and considerate. He is sensitive to your personal journey and doesn't push you.
We have unexplained infertility. We did 3 rounds of Femara with Ovidrel, however I developed complex cysts. It is not for sure known whether the medication causes the cysts or not, but we are on a break and I will be monitored to see if they go away on their own.
The nursing staff have all been very kind and quick to communicate back to me when needed.
The clinic is very nice. The office staff is friendly and they get you in for procedures very fast. I appreciate that they also have a support group and counselor if you are interested.
It's hard to say as I believe costs vary depending on insurance.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
He [Dr. John Randolph] is very experienced but sometimes he seemed in a rush, and I didn't feel very welcome to ask questions. However, when he did my surgery he was the kindest person ever. Also, it was hard for me to communicate with him directly.... Do not expect a warm doctor and do not feel intimidated. Ask as much as you need to.... He suggested Clomid and Ovidrel for some cycles to make my ovaries work better. They didn't work, mainly due to my endometriosis.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
He is very experienced but sometimes he seemed in a rush, and I didn't feel very welcome to ask questions. However, when he did my surgery he was the kindest person ever. Also, it was hard for me to communicate with him directly.
Some nurses and the doctor were kind of cold and didn't show empathy some times.
Some of them are very caring. Others are cold and didn't show empathy at all. They respond my emails promptly.
Waiting time sometimes is long. You do not communicate with your doctor directly, always through a nurse. Staff at the desk are just fine, not very warming either.
It was covered by my insurance. I only paid the copay.