Medical SchoolU. of Oregon
503.274.4994
2222 NW Lovejoy
Portland, OR 97210
877-567-4994
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend John Hesla to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Oregon Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
He [Dr. Hesla] is not an outgoing teddy bear or anything, but he is so smart and so compassionate...has a wonderful way of using facts and science to give you a realistic expectation of treatment, but he does so in a kind manner that I appreciate, even when the news isn't great. He is thorough and detail-oriented. He also welcomed my questions and agreed to try procedures that could potentially improve chances at my request.
How was your experience with John Hesla at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Hesla has a wonderful way of using facts and science to give you a realistic expectation of treatment, but he does so in a kind manner that I appreciate, even when the news isn't great. He is thorough and detail-oriented. He also welcomed my questions and agreed to try procedures that could potentially improve chances at my request.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Hesla at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
He is not an outgoing teddy bear or anything, but he is so smart and so compassionate. Go in prepared to speak with a professional who will do everything he can, but lean on your therapist or partner or mom for comfort :)
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Hesla at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
I find his manner very sincere and caring. He is patient and kind, and obviously completely brilliant.
Describe the protocols John Hesla used in your cycles at Oregon Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Cycle 1: Baseline ultrasound. Clomid 50mg on days 3-7 which produced one 29mm follicle, IUI timed with positive OPK. No pregnancy that cycle. Cycle 2: Got a cyst from the Clomid, had to pause treatment and wait for the cyst to go away. Cycle 3: Baseline ultrasound showed cyst was gone. Clomid 100mg on days 3-7, which produced 2 follicles over 20mm (our goal). IUI timed with positive OPK, still waiting on results. Will be switching to Femara for future treatment (if more rounds are required) based on my response to Clomid.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Buxton)
The entire nursing staff is amazing. They're compassionate and knowledgeable. They can answer all my questions, they respond promptly and never make me feel like a pain or like I'm crazy.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic is BEAUTIFUL. When a place has to become a second home, it's so great when it's as lovely as this office. It's conveniently located close to downtown so I can go to appointments on my lunch break. They work weekend mornings so you're not screwed if you ovulate on a Saturday. They use a portal for messaging and billing that's SO helpful. Our entire experience has been completely positive.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Hesla at Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
My insurance covers everything until IVF 100%. I've been paying a $40 copay per visit, plus $99 for each semen analysis, since that lab is considered "Out of Network" for all insurance agencies.
Describe John Hesla's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
Not yet applicable.
2013 - 2017
My protocol was always the same [with Dr. John Hesla]...I wish he tried a different protocol. It did help a 3 years ago and got a baby girl, but as I get older I think perhaps he should of try a different protocol... Dr.John Hesla is a very compassionate man he showed me that he cares. Being a patient there for a while,I became like part of his family in a way,he got to know me as a patient...Dr.John Hesla is a busy Dr. at times I felt rushed through appts with him and not all my questions were answered.
2013 - 2017
How was your experience with John Hesla at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
PROS: Dr.John Hesla is a very compassionate man he showed me that he cares. Being a patient there for a while,I became like part of his family in a way,he got to know me as a patient. He has a tender voice that its not intimidating and at times, I felt reassure just with a smile from him. The only small CONS: is Dr.John Hesla is a busy Dr. at times I felt rushed through appts with him and not all my questions were answered.
I would say don't be shy to ask as many questions as you like,speak up if you feel you are being rushed out, because you want to leave the place inform not with questions all the time..
The nurse always made me feel welcome,like part of the family!
My protocol was always the same I belief conventional with antagonis: consist Follistum ,menupor Ganirelix trigger with HCG Novarel. I wish he tried a different protocol. It did help a 3 years ago and got a baby girl, but as I get older I think perhaps he should of try a different protocol agonist ,Lupron etc .
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Megan Crow)
I can not praise my nurse Megan Crow enough! 1st the reason I stick to same clinic was because of this wonderful nurse Mgan. She always explain to me treatment,answer my portal message right away and showed much compassionate. 10++ in my book I wish she was a DR lol. anyways ,the staffing team were great as well,they welcome me every time.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is organized, caring to patient. The only think is the front office sometimes does not know and wants to be helpful..for example,if wanted to the the balance and what I am due to pay and I get misinformed, but I think overall they try to be helpful . As a new patient if you have a financial question just ask the Financial coordinating team, instead of the front office ladies so there is no confusions.
Last year alone in 2017 cost of IVF/ meds over 26K over the years easly spend 40K+
always 2 embroys to transfer
Portland Lovejoy (Closed)
I can't overstate how much I appreciate Dr.Hesla's care. From after hours follow up phone calls, to coming in on weekends (when he's NOT on) to see me at appointments, he has gone out of his way on many occasions to be sure I'm cared for. He opens his schedule early or stays late if necessary- and does so in an incredibly gracious way, without making me feel like a burden...You'll be seeing his NPs for routine visits, but he will always make time for you when you need him.
How was your experience with John Hesla at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
I can't overstate how much I appreciate Dr.Hesla's care. From after hours follow up phone calls, to coming in on weekends (when he's NOT on) to see me at appointments, he has gone out of his way on many occasions to be sure I'm cared for. He opens his schedule early or stays late if necessary- and does so in an incredibly gracious way, without making me feel like a burden. I'd recommend him to anyone.
He's amazing, he calls me personally to discuss treatment plans, sometimes after hours. Goes out of his way to deliver excellent care. I really believe that he cares about me and my success with IVF
I have never had a positive pregnancy test under Dr. Heslas care, and continue to hold the "unexplained infertility " diagnosis. We have tried natural and medicated cycles, single and multiple embryo transfers, using prednisone/antihistamines post transfer.... just no luck so far.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Megan)
Sadly bc I have been a patient for so long, I have had some negative experiences w nursing staff. Essentially the problem is that when my coordinator is not in the office I have to meet w a different coordinator who doesn't know me, doesn't know my (long) history, and it's never a good experience. I wish that I could just avoid these interactions entirely and communicate w one coordinator only, even if it meant waiting a day or two to receive communication.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
My experience at the downtown clinic has been better than the west side clinic- better front desk, better coordinators, etc. be prepared to be shuffled around between many different coordinators.
Retrieval w fresh transfer and CCS testing on remaining embryos $10k FET $1200
He will not transfer more than two embryos.
3 IUI, 5 IVF, Donor Eggs
He was very honest and straightforward but warm and caring. He would present information very neutrally, giving you facts with no bias. Then offer his opinion but never felt judgemental. I also never felt rushed with him. He always took the time to answer questions....Julie and her team were great! I felt bad for her because she would even check emails and respond when she took minimal vacations etc...she never got tired of asking my million questions. she always seemed very happy and helpful.
3 IUI, 5 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with John Hesla at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
Feel free to ask him anything. He will answer honestly.
He and his staff were great! While very factual, they were warm and caring. They understood how much each step meant to us and knew there was more to this whole process than just facts and science. There are hearts and emotions involved.
Hard to remember details even though I lived and breathed them at the time. If feel the first Roy d I was offered a natural cycle (less meds -because I still had a very healthy cycle) or what I would call a very straightforward protocol. I was too scared to do the natural one. I felt the straightforward approach would assist more. I had a miscarriage and then next round did more of an allergy protocol. It included Claritin and antihistamine and some other drugs that was to help the body not attack the embryo. But not heparin or anything to that degree.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Julie)
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
The weakness is it wasn't in NY! I really was impressed by ORM. They had everything together. Loved the in-house genetics department. They were very helpful and I learned so much. They have a great system of doctors, counseling, geneticists, nurses, acupuncture and hotel services. They also had a great RE to oversee me while in NY. Their finance department was very on top of it and first time I didn't have to argue about payments and refunds!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
Most of my monitoring was done in Ny.
I feel like the 1 retrieval and 2 transfers was 30,000 more or less. That included genetic testing and icsi
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
How was your experience with John Hesla at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
He is overall a very good doctor. I think he lacks communication skills which can be frustrating. As I stated previously, he almost never made eye contact and seemed unable or unwilling to answer questions directly. I had limited access to him as a patient. All my questions for him were relayed through my nurse. In order to speak with him directly with questions, I had to set up an expensive appointment. My situation is complicated and Dr Hesla was not able to help us conceive. We had unexpectedly bad IVF results -- everyone was shocked. He ran a few tests that seemed to make sense but didn't really know how to advise us on next steps based on the results of the tests. He basically shrugged his shoulders and wished us luck. We ended up going to a different clinic. He didn't have a lot to offer a complicated case. I think for simpler situations he's probably great.
If you have a relatively straightforward case of infertility, Dr Hesla can probably help you. If your case is complicated, I would seek a different clinic. He is the most experienced and knowledgable doctor at the clinic but the clinic itself has its limitations. I would also advise prospective patients that they should be prepared to receive a clinical and slightly cold demeanor from Dr Hesla. He didn't seem capable of or interested in showing a great deal of compassion.
ORM is a relatively small clinic and he definitely knew who I was and what my case was about. However, he is slightly odd and a bit cold. He almost never looked me in the eye and seemed incapable of answering a question directly, which was frustrating and at times made me feel unimportant.
I started with a straightforward IVF cycle: BCP followed by 150 Follistim 150 Menopur with a Lupron trigger. I ended up not being suppressed at the suppression check after 1 month fo BCP. I actually got pregnant that cycle naturally and had a miscarriage. After the miscarriage, he put me on Lupron 20 units for suppression then 10 units during stims along with 150 Follistim 150 Menopur. I think the protocol was over-suppressing for me but it did make sense as a first IVF.
Megan is an amazing, very experienced and knowledgable nurse. I would highly recommend her. She is not super warm and fuzzy but she obviously does care about her patients. At one point I was switched without warning from Megan to Katy, a very inexperienced nurse. Katy was sweet but clearly did not have the experience that Megan did and seemed overwhelmed and flustered by my questions. I am not an easy patient but I don't think I'm out of the ordinary, either. I think Katy will be a great nurse in time but I did not like being switched to a new nurse in the middle of treatment and requested to be switched back to Megan. My request was honored.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
It's a sleek business. It's clean, well-staffed and runs smoothly overall. The people at the front desk are incompetent and sometimes rude. They have tried to overcharge me (by hundreds of dollars) multiple times and if I was not paying attention, I would have paid it. So be careful! It's a fine clinic for relatively straightforward infertility cases. However, they do not offer any sperm selection techniques like PICSI or IMSI and they do not excel at treating patients who are complicated. They will push donor eggs fast rather than trying to work with a complicated patient.
ORM is a fairly expensive clinic. I think our IVF cycle came to roughly $17K.
3 IUI, 3 IVF, Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
Dr hesla is talented and was informative about my low ovarian reserve condition. He gave us a less than 5 percent success rate because of my age and condition. He recommended PDG but because I had been able to obtain two or three embryos in the past, I declined...and he agreed. I appreciate that he considered my thoughts on that procedure. He is very brisk in his bed side manners. However, that never bothered me. I am only interested in results. He was able to get me the highest number of embryos with the best quality.
3 IUI, 3 IVF, Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with John Hesla at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
Dr hesla is talented and was informative about my low ovarian reserve condition. He gave us a less than 5 percent success rate because of my age and condition. He recommended PDG but because I had been able to obtain two or three embryos in the past, I declined. I explained that it wasn't worth the money with so few embryos and he agreed. I appreciate that he considered my thoughts on that procedure. He is very brisk in his bed side manners. However, that never bothered me. I am only interested in results. He was able to get me the highest number of embryos with the best quality. I now have a two year old daughter and a frozen embryo that is cryofrozen. I can't recommend him enough.
His manners may be brisk but if that's ok with you, he's an effective endocrinologist.
Easy access to his nurses who gaff fast response times to my emails and calls. If I needed to talk to a doctor, whoever was in call was able to reach me quickly, even at dawn. Staff members, who I interacted with the most, were all kind, helpful, and effective.
He prescribed human growth hormone, when that was still allowed in fertility treatments. I don't know whether this was the procedure that did it but i had the most number of embryos with the highest quality among my three fertility cycles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
Very responsive and kind. I was an out of town patient so I did my initial blood work and work up in my home town instead of Portland. The office had to fax in my medical orders for the week to my office. After the first time they forgot to fax my order, I had to make sure that they had faxed the orders each week. There was one or two others times when they had forgotten. Nevertheless, compared to other office's staff, these nurses were golden.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
great success rates. Must follow up with nurses to make sure all the work up is in schedule. Worth going to this clinic.
Around $6000 out of pocket, which wasn't covered by insurance. I think total amount was around $25000.
2007 - 2011
4 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
I live in New York City, and had worked with a local doctor for four unsuccessful cycles before opting to work with a clinic on the West coast, ORM, and Dr. Hesla. The advice I would give a prospective patient who is having trouble conceiving in another part of the country would be: don't wait and only travel to work with Dr. Hesla after you have put yourself through possibly unnecessary pain and hardship. Go to him sooner.
2007 - 2011
4 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with John Hesla at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
By the time I had my first consultation visit with Dr. Hesla, I had been through a lot -- 2 1/2 years on the pregnancy journey, four failed IVF cycles, and a miscarriage. I was doing this whole thing as a single woman, I was tired and worn down, and I wasn't sure if I could have any more hope of having a baby. I nervously approached the possibility of using a donor egg with Dr. Hesla. From the very first moment, he gave me a sense of possibility and warmly and positively reviewed my case history. He listened well and used just the right amount of gentle humor to lighten what had become a pretty heavy topic. He was not pushy, and it was clear that he did not have a God complex like some RE's do. He was smart, experienced, respectful, warm, positive, and communicative -- in that very first meeting and in every subsequent interaction I had with him (in person, on phone, or via email) over the next 15 months. When I decided soon after that visit that I would in fact pursue conception with a donor egg, he got genuinely excited for me. He was extremely involved in selecting, examining, and green-lighting possible egg donors for me, and ultimately, he was the one who found and matched me with my donor. I had already reserved one woman via an agency that the clinic works with closely, but became hesitant when they cycle she did before working with me didn't go that well. I remember Dr. Hesla wrote to me and said he had found someone he thought would be a terrific donor match for me. He said "she's 28, lovely and smart, beautiful like you, and has had great results in a past cycle." It was so kind the way he did it -- and I did end up going with that donor, to great success. I'll never forget the experience of my transfer for this final and successful cycle. As I lay on the table in the transfer room (like an OR?), classical music played softly and the lights were dimmed so that the environment was as relaxing as possible. Dr. Hesla came in wearing his scrubs, of course, greeted me, and then went to the side of the room where there was a pass-through window to the embryology lab. When the embryologist passed the tube containing the embryo that was to be transferred, Dr. Hesla received it gently in two outstretched hands as if he were being handed the last butterfly on earth -- and he walked back across the room holding it with such care and reverence that you could see it. Two nurses stood near where I lay, and the embryologist came into the room and held my hand for the entire procedure. It sounds ridiculous or over-the-top to say this, but truly, they made a medical procedure feel sacred. This was (and is) the caring the humanity of the team at ORM.
Dr. Hesla was an extraordinary doctor, not only in terms of his medical knowledge and expertise but also in the deeply kind and respectful way he treated me, listened to and addressed my concerns, and championed my goals.
Because I was 44 and, despite high doses of "stim" meds had had four unsuccessful IVF cycles, Dr. Hesla concurred early in my first consultation with him that, if I was willing, donor egg would be the right strategy for me. Back then, I used to be able to recite every detail of every protocol for every cycle -- but, blessedly, years later and with a sublime 8-year-old boy who is the light of my life, I can't remember the exact medication protocol. But since it was my egg donor who was getting the stim meds and doing the egg retrieval, my protocol was simply to sync with her cycle and then build my uterine lining. I do remember that while all IVF cycles involve progesterone injections after transfer, Dr. Hesla was especially aggressive with progesterone and prescribed both the injections and progesterone suppositories for several days (can't remember how long). He said "we've gone to a lot of trouble to get you this far, so I don't take any chances."
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Julie - care coordinator)
While I was in New York, Julie was my liaison with ORM, via both phone and email. She was incredibly organized, kind, patient, and absolutely my cheerleader. No question was too small for her, and she responded to my needs or requests immediately. She had a lovely sense of humor, and was able to strike a wonderful balance of "business-like" efficiency and friendly communication.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
**Exceptional doctors, embryologists, nurses, and coordinators. **ORM's stats for live pregnancy way exceed those of clinics on the East coast -- at least they did in 2007/2008. At that time, the best stats by FAR were at ORM, CCRM in Colorado (where Dr. Hesla of ORM trained), and a clinic in San Diego whose name I cannot recall. **Their labs were modeled after Intel clean rooms -- I think that's the term for it. **Their attention to detail is extraordinary. Example: Before my transfer, Dr. Hesla did a mock transfer to gently test different tubes and see which flowed the most smoothly through my cervix and would provide the smoothest ride for that little embryo. Who does that? They do.
I don't remember exactly -- it's a blur of high expenses, obviously. I think that they cycle probably cost somewhere around $10,000, but then of course I had additional expenses to the donor agency, the acupuncturist, travel between New York City and Portland, hotel in Portland, etc.
Deciding whether to transfer one or two embryos was one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make in my entire life. The reason was, as a single woman, I was terrified of having twins, which would have been more than I could handle or afford. Using my own eggs, which were of lesser quality, I always transferred as many embryos as looked good even to get one possible implantation. But since my ultimate cycle was a donor egg cycle, I knew the embryos were grade A and healthy, so there was far more likelihood of success for each and every one of them. I was scared to transfer 2 and end up with 2, but I was also tremendously scared to do an eSET and end up with 0 -- in this, my absolutely final cycle that I would ever do. Dr. Hesla was extremely understanding and talked this decision through with me fully. He told me ORM's stats for eSETs and told me that while it was fully up to me, the quality of my embryos were good enough that he would endorse either decision. I rolled the dice and went with a eSET -- and was rewarded with a solid implantation and very healthy pregnancy.
2003 - 2010
22 IUI, 6 IVF, Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Hesla was one of the very first care providers that I have had that said to me with great confidence that conceiving was very possible using donor eggs. He admitted to me with my past track record of miscarriages that keeping me pregnant would be a challenge – but together we could succeed. He gave both my husband and I hope. He is very confident in his ability. We found him to be brilliant - he thinks outside the box and we liked that very much. He was warm and compassionate. I didn't feel like a number and his office. I felt valued. He was almost as excited about us having a baby as we were!...
2003 - 2010
22 IUI, 6 IVF, Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with John Hesla at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
Don't be put off if you have to wait to see him - meaning if it takes a bit to get into his office it's well worth the wait. It's helpful to have your questions ready to ask during your appointment. And he is very accommodating at answering the questions presented to him in a very thoughtful and patient manner. He doesn't gloss over anything. He's very detail oriented. And me being an anxious person I got to the point where I actually manage my anxiety very well and would not get overly concerned about anything unless he became concerned. We trusted him that much.
When I first met Dr. Hesla I was incredibly frustrated because I had been to many physicians who could not figure out what was wrong with me, my body or why I continue to miscarry. Dr. Hesla was the very first position to actually partner with me in this process. That makes all the difference in my book. He did not appear to be put off or challenged by my myriad of questions I asked throughout my cycle. He was extraordinarily patient. I was one of those challenging patients, and that did not seem to faze him at all.
This was my first Egg Donation cycle. I knew nothing about protocols and I really had to trust my doctor and this clinic to lead me through a successful a donor cycle. They helped me select my donor, which was a big help because I was incredibly overwhelmed by the entire process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Mary Anne and Joan)
I had complications during early pregnancy before I was released to A maternal-fetal specialist. I had a lot of bleeding and they were really good to us – especially me and keeping me calm throughout that whole time period. They always return phone calls and emails- they would check in to see how I was doing. I always made time for me to come in for ultrasound when I began to have complications. They were just all-around compassionate and kind . I couldn't avast for a better team.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
When I went to this clinic it was on the smaller side. Of course now it's grown larger – but the quality of care is still the same. With any clinic I think patience is required. It's important to remember that you were not the only patient they have. There are many many other individuals around the globe that want to have a baby just like you. If I had anything to say about weakness it would be that the billing department didn't always seem to have it together. I am incredibly organized and so at the end of treatment, after tr I am incredibly organized and so at the end of treatment, after our transfer, my pregnancy test and then released to see my OB/GYN we had a lot of extra bills from the clinic that we knew we were not responsible for. They were extraordinarily helpful and helped us resolve the issue. But receiving bills that were not correct after-the-fact was stressful.
2011 - 2018
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Soft-spoken doctor [Dr. John Hesla] who looked directly at me when speaking. We are long-distance so he called or Skyped to answer questions. Was willing to switch to a more affordable medication.... Our donor embryos were frozen in pairs, and due to our religious beliefs, we did not want them refrozen. He allowed us to transfer 2 embryos each time because of this, despite birthing twins following the first transfer.
2011 - 2018
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with John Hesla at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
I was only on-site at the clinic for the donor FETs, as we live in a different state. But each time he seemed fully comfortable with my case, my history, etc. Always asked about my husband & kids. Never left the room until I said all my questions were answered.
Absolutely go for it, he's fantastic.
Soft-spoken doctor who looked directly at me when speaking. We are long-distance so he called or Skyped to answer questions. Was willing to switch to a more affordable medication.
All 4 donor FETs were identical protocols. Only difference being dosage changes as my bloodwork dictated each time. Birth control, followed by Lupron. Delestrogen twice/wk. Progesterone in oil beginning 6 days prior to transfer, continuing through the first trimester. Prometrium suppositories beginning after positive pregnancy test. Baby aspirin and prenatal vitamins for the entire cycle/pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Julie Ryles)
Everyone was excellent.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
New location is more centrally located. While I'm sure they are trying to make it feel calm and spa-like, it feels a bit sterile in the waiting area. Procedures, equipment, etc are all top-notch, though. Very good success rates. There was 1 embryologist in 2014 that was a bit cold/blunt when mentioning that one of the embryos didn't survive the thaw. Not sure if she is still with the clinic, as there was a different (much nicer) one I saw this last time. But overall no complaints.
Approximately $2500 per FET, not counting medications.
6 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Other, Unexplained
I was referred to him [Dr. Hesla] by PVED and it was an excellent decision. Great clinic, and great stats for donor egg. John Hesla was honest with us, and when we had a major setback (1st donor had bad eggs), John adjusted course quickly and now we have a beautiful child and several tested frozen embryos...John Hesla is an excellent and compassionate doctor. When our first cycle with him produced zero embryos, he did his best to ensure that our next cycle worked, and it did...
6 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with John Hesla at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
I was referred to him by PVED and it was an excellent decision. Great clinic, and great stats for donor egg. John Hesla was honest with us, and when we had a major setback (1st donor had bad eggs), John adjusted course quickly and now we have a beautiful child and several tested frozen embryos.
None. He's everything I wanted in an RE
We did two IVF stim cycles with him, with two different donors The first donor had poor egg quality, and the second donor had outstanding egg quantity and quality. Our first transfer worked and now we have a beautiful toddler. Our experience was that John Hesla was an excellent doctor and the clinic was well run.
Julie was very good. We primarily communicated via email. Like all IVF clinics, it's important to be an advocate for yourself. Julie was no exception.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
Great lab, nice feel, I never felt like a number.
Don't remember exact numbers, just that it was in line with other IVF clinics. Less expensive than CCRM, about as expensive as Seattle Reproductive Medicine
2011 - 2012
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
I really enjoyed working with Dr Hesla. He is very direct, which I appreciated. (It surprised me initially since my previous unexplained fertility diagnosis with another doctor took me down a meandering, frustrating path and he discovered the root of the problem quickly.)...After the first visit, appropriate AMH and other testing was done to determine the best course of action. He was very efficient and committed to the process of having treatment end with a successful birth...
2011 - 2012
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
You are in good hands.
We did a straightforward donor egg cycle, so I did shots for a few weeks beforehand.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
They operated well as a team.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
They do want you to have a successful birth, so in my case where I had diminished ovarian reserve (my AMH was .17, so well below a normal threshold for doing IVF with my own eggs), they were fairly blunt and direct that donor eggs were my best and only option they would recommend. So that was a little traumatic to deal with as I had not been prepared for that diagnosis. But infertility tends to be a roller coaster where you can always be prepared.
In line with other clinics.
1 IUI, 10 IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
I was an international patient so everything except transfer was done at my home clinic. Dr. Hesla was very helpful, knowledgeable, and kind. We appreciated him calling us when things were not going well and explaining next steps...If Julie [Dr. Hesla's nurse] was away, we sometimes had difficulty getting results. We usually could get results from our home clinic. This improved when Derick joined the team. He was very nice and really good about getting results to us.
1 IUI, 10 IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
How was your experience with John Hesla at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
Again, I was an international patient so everything except transfer was done at my home clinic. Dr. Hesla was very helpful, knowledgeable, and kind. We appreciated him calling us when things were not going well and explaining next steps.
I was an international patient (client). Dr. Hesla and his team were always kind.
Donor eggs.
Julie responded quickly to emails and explained things well.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
Patient care is a strength. The billing department is terrible. The statements aren't clear and we were once charged for a procedure that never happened. When we queried, they said it was for something completely different. We spent way to much time dealing with something that should have been straightforward.
Portland Lovejoy (Closed)
Dr Hesla was professional yet endearing... Dr Hesla and his team were informative, straightforward yet nice and made me feel comfortable at every visit. He was responsive via phone and email and really cared about the outcome. He kept me informed and made sure I knew the process and risks.... he will be be straight forward yet kind. He will be realistic with treatment goals and outcomes.
How was your experience with John Hesla at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
That he will be be straight forward yet kind. He will be realistic with treatment goals and outcomes.
Dr Hesla was professional yet endearing
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Marissa)
She was professional and prompt when responding to calls and emails.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
I only have strengths to report. Professional and reliable and realistic. Nurses knew the process and were friendly to myself and my quest. They are good communicators. Dr Hesla is wonderful and even recommended a gynecologist where I live in a rural area.
He recommended single embryo transfer
Portland Lovejoy (Closed)
Dr Hesla is an amazing Dr. We owe our son to him. So knowledgeable, caring and compassionate. I remember crying alone in his office and he was so sweet and comforting.... I cam[e] to ORM like the walking wounded for a second opinion and Dr. Hesla & his team did not treat me like a number and gave me hope.
How was your experience with John Hesla at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
DR Hesla is an amazing Dr. We owe our son to him. So knowledgeable, caring and compassionate. I remember crying alone in his office and he was so sweet and comforting.
Ask for Dr Hesla. Depending on your age listen to him. I was in my early 30s and proceeded cautiously. I have older friends that are hesitant to be aggressive by age is a factor, so need to trust his protocol.
The team was excellent. I had just left a clinic previously where I did only the CCCT test and the nurse told me the results on the phone and said I probably have to use Donor Eggs or adopt. I cam to ORM like the walking wounded for a second opinion and Dr. Hesla & his team did not treat me like a number and gave me hope.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: it's been 12 years - i can't remember)
Solid team. Much more professional & compassionate then OHSU
Portland Westside
2004 - 2010
IVF, Donor Eggs
He [Dr Hesla] is an expert. He optimized my treatment meds to get the best lining for transfer. He was compassionate and patient. I felt like he cared....I had trouble building a thick enough uterine lining. Dr Hesla recommended medications that helped, not just a cookie cutter protocol.
2004 - 2010
How was your experience with John Hesla at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
He is an expert. He optimized my treatment meds to get the best lining for transfer. He was compassionate and patient. I felt like he cared.
Make sure and share any concerns directly with him. He listens and will try to do his best for you.
Dr Hesla was very compassionate and very patient in explaining things. I felt like he cared.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
All of the nurses and staff at ORM were well organized, patient, and compassionate
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
This is a top notch clinic!
This clinic at the time was very competitively priced compared to clinics with similar success rates
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr Hesla is very responsive and empathetic. He is also understanding and never makes you feel bad for asking questions. His demeanor made my experience with fertility treatment as pleasant as possible considering the circumstances!
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with John Hesla at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
Very compassionate, patient and informative
Communication is excellent and prompt
IVF, Donor Eggs
Only one visit with him [Dr. John Hesla at Oregon Reproductive Medicine] so far but very impressed with his compassion and honesty...3k for FET...Great price and success rates
How was your experience with John Hesla at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
Only one visit with him so far but very impressed with his compassion and homesty
Go for it
Not rushed
Not yet drcided
Only met once but very knowledgeable
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
Great price and success rates
3k for FET