Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota

Nurse available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolAlbany Medical College
FellowshipUniversity of Minnesota
St. Paul
991 Sibley Memorial Highway
St. Paul, MN 55118
651-379-3110
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend John Malo to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota to a friend?
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Malo is really a great provider. He was on his way to retirement when we saw him; so I think if we caught him sooner-we may have had better luck with our cycle. He did care for us, but I think we could have had a few more tests done to make our IVF cycle better.... took lupron, menopur, follistim & doxycycline as I recall, plus a trigger shot. I did need to extend the meds as they did not see enough eggs/eggs not mature enough. Eventually I was given the go ahead for retrieval. Dr. (not Malo, one of his partners) retrieved 14, 11 were mature. We thought this was great! Each day that passed in the lab, our numbers dwindled. We had two day 5 embryos come transfer day. Neither embryo implanted.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with John Malo at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Malo at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Do your research. Be proactive. Be your own advocate!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Malo at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
We know CRM runs a busy clinic; but it seemed like we were shuffled through like a herd every visit. We didn't like that Dr. Malo was not involved in our transfer/retrieval. There was no consistency.
Describe the protocols John Malo used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
Dr. Malo had reason to believe his routine/common IVF protocol would work for us, with ICSI. I took lupron, menopur, follistim & doxycycline as I recall, plus a trigger shot. I did need to extend the meds as they did not see enough eggs/eggs not mature enough. Eventually I was given the go ahead for retrieval. Dr. (not Malo, one of his partners) retrieved 14, 11 were mature. We thought this was great! Each day that passed in the lab, our numbers dwindled. We had two day 5 embryos come transfer day. Neither embryo implanted.
Nursing staff were SO COMPASSIONATE. They truly hoped success for us, through & through. We saw many of the nurses throughout our treatment cycle. They worked well together & no matter who we were working with, they had knowledge about our cycle.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The clinic environment was very nice & welcoming. The front desk staff could be a little more friendly. At times I didn't feel comfortable checking in or making future appts because I felt like they didn't really care to help. CRM has a free info session, which was so nice to do, before going to our first real RE appt.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Malo at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
All in all for Dr. Malo, about $13,000.00 For meds, about $2,000
Describe John Malo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
From our experience CRM was open to what we felt comfortable with.
What specific things went wrong at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Minneapolis
2013 - 2014
I have PCOS so Dr.Malo used a protocol that involved long days of medication. I took follistim, meapour as well as citratide during my cycle. He very closely monitored my levels so I would not get OHSS. He was very careful with every dose and every medicine I took. Even though I always saw a nurse he would call me every day after my appointment to check in. He told us that the flair protocols is sometimes used for patients who have PCOS, but that often times ends in OHSS (which I got from a previous clinic). He said that he would rather do "slow and steady wins the race" instead of fast and furious.
2013 - 2014
We had a very high risk pregnancy and retrieval. Lots of moving parts including PGS testing. He was perfect. Explained everything to a T and was able to also comfort us. He explained every option and its outcomes. He was extremely realistic.
He is honest, but knows his stuff.
The nurses at the Saint Paul clinic treated us like family. They laughed, cried and prayed with us, then genuinely cared about us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota. (Assigned nurse: Center for Reproductive Medicine)
I honestly can't say enough good things about this staff. They became our family. The nurses there went above and beyond. They would make emergency appointments for me when I was bleeding, they would move things around to help accommodate our lifestyles. The most important thing is they were overjoyed with us when we got pregnant. They genuinely cared- you can't ask for more.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
They are great at scheduling. They are fabulous at making connections with their patients. One area they could work on is avaliblity.
Fresh cycle: $14,000 PGS testing: $2,500 FET: $4,300
Dr. Malo suggested that we do 1 embryo due to my age as well as the PGS testing we had done. I asked the risks for 2 embryos and he agreed that I would have a better chance of pregnancy with 2 embryos, but still have a fabulous chance of pregnancy with 1, especially with doing an FET.
St. Paul