John Mercer

Grand Junction
610 25 Rd Grand Junction, CO 81505-1202
Grand Junction, CO 81505-1202
970-298-9600
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend John Mercer to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend SCL Medical Group to a friend?
Neutral: 100%8
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Mercer wanted to know our infertility journey/story from us prior to examining all of our medical records. He then came up with a personalized plan cycle-by-cycle and personally calls when results are not what he thought they should be...he started me on 5mg Letrozole cycle days 3-7 with timed intercourse and 21 day progesterone check (7dpo)...Next cycle he upped the dose to 10mg Letrozole...POSITIVE TEST!...as we were talking in our consultation, I realized that he did that to get to know us as a couple, what we had been through
Sometimes the clinic [SCL Medical Group] is hard to get a hold of by phone - they only have the couple of phone lines and sometimes you get the voicemail, which takes a while to hear back from. So, I hang up and try again every 5 min or so until I get a receptionist. Sometimes the receptionists are out of the loop with your doctor, but they always check if anything is in doubt. However, the entire staff are all wonderfully nice and welcoming when you are there for an appointment.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with John Mercer at SCL Medical Group?
In our first appointment, I was a little taken aback because Dr. Mercer came in and asked our story prior to completely examining our medical records. That has never happened before. However, as we were talking in our consultation, I realized that he did that to get to know us as a couple, what we had been through, and what we were willing to do to grow our family. He then created a specific treatment plan and filled in many gaps in my testing that other doctors had neglected. He has been responsive every step of the way, is always jovial in our appointments, and my husband and I are always happy to see and talk with him about our medical needs.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Mercer at SCL Medical Group?
Bring your spouse/significant other or a friend to take notes because you will cover a lot in your first appointment. Also, be prepared to tell your (in)fertility journey in-depth which may trigger various emotions, so the other person you bring with you can help with that too if you need a minute.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Mercer at SCL Medical Group?
Describe the protocols John Mercer used in your cycles at SCL Medical Group and their degree of success.
I had already tried Clomid for 6 months with no success, complete blood work, and an ultrasound to check for cysts, with another doctor. Dr. Mercer had me complete a glucose challenge and HSG prior to moving forward with treatment to fill in gaps in testing. From those results, he started me on 5mg Letrozole cycle days 3-7 with timed intercourse and 21 day progesterone check (7dpo). Nothing came of that cycle, and progesterone was slightly low. Next cycle he upped the dose to 10mg Letrozole, Day 14 follicle scan and trigger shot (Ovidrel) in-office, Day 15 IUI in-office, Day 22 progesterone check. POSITIVE TEST! Beta HCG ordered, and another 48-72 hours later. Good results, so ultrasounds scheduled every 2 weeks until pregnancy fully established.
The nurses on-call at the clinic, Lacey and Darlene, are wonderful - they are always kind and responsive with questions, concerns, and last-minute refills!
Describe your experience with SCL Medical Group.
Sometimes the clinic is hard to get a hold of by phone - they only have the couple of phone lines and sometimes you get the voicemail, which takes a while to hear back from. So, I hang up and try again every 5 min or so until I get a receptionist. Sometimes the receptionists are out of the loop with your doctor, but they always check if anything is in doubt. However, the entire staff are all wonderfully nice and welcoming when you are there for an appointment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Mercer at SCL Medical Group.
My insurance covers infertility testing and procedures, along with a low co-pay for office visits and lab work, so compared to other online estimates, it was very affordable, around $250 for the IUI cycle (meds and all), and $75 for a failed cycle.
Describe John Mercer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at SCL Medical Group.
John Mercer