Available by cell phone
(864)-232-7734
1330 Boiling Springs Rd.
Spartanburg, SC 29303
(864)-583-2669
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend John Nichols to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group to a friend?
He [Dr. Nichols] was prepared with all of my information prior to our appointment. He showed concern and sensitivity to my emotions and went over all of my options...supportive to the fact that I wanted to keep trying a few more rounds of IUI because it is covered by our insurance, but IVF is not covered. He explained in detail the IVF process and patiently answered my questions...performed my HSG test and had a calm/warm personality, which helped to calm me.
How was your experience with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
He performed my HSG test and had a calm/warm personality, which helped to calm me. For our consultation appointment to go over next steps, after 3 cycles with meds and timed intercourse and 2 IUI's, he was prepared with all of my previous treatment history and had already printed out information and stats IVF and how it would work for me. He was sensitive and supportive to the fact that I wanted to keep trying a few more rounds of IUI because it is covered by our insurance, but IVF is not covered. He explained in detail the IVF process and patiently answered my questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
He was prepared with all of my information prior to our appointment. He showed concern and sensitivity to my emotions and went over all of my options.
The two main nurses I've worked with were helpful and compassionate. One was more calm and seemed more caring than the other (but, it was probably a personality preference). Unfortunately, at our first IUI they were short staffed and someone who was filling in at the lab copied my husbands name wrong and wrote the wrong name on his sperm sample. It made for a pretty stressful and upsetting procedure, especially since it was our first time doing an IUI. The next two IUI's went really well and the calmer nurse did them. Overall, I think the nursing staff is sensitive and compassionate and do a great job.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Weaknesses: Way too cold in the clinic (especially when you're having to get undressed for procedures), have had to wait over an hour for a consultation and an IUI, unfriendly secretary when I expressed my concern about wait time (but the other two were friendly!), short window of time to get blood-work done when they were training a new staff member, Didn't hear back from one of the doctors for over 2 days when waiting for instructions on what to do for my next cycle. Strengths: Almost always able to get in touch with someone on the phone, well trained sensitive/compassionate nursing staff, the 2nd doctor I saw was great, most of the secretaries are friendly and helpful, letting me schedule my IUI in advance to try and work around my work schedule
Asheville

He [Dr. Nichols] was always very honest and open about plans and risk. He was motivating and put thing in real terms. He seems very smart in what he is doing. Seemed genuine and caring but also blunt, for me that’s a good thing. He encouraged me to quit smoking and I have officially put it down!... He was very direct with me on becoming as healthy as possible to prepare a baby in the womb. He was very strick with quitting smoking and months later I dropped smoking!
He was always very honest and open about plans and risk. He was motivating and put thing in real terms. He seems very smart in what he is doing. Seemed genuine and caring but also blunt, for me that’s a good thing. He encouraged me to quit smoking and I have officially put it down! Great doctor that I would recommend!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
He will give you all truths rather you want to hear it or not. Very honest.
He was very direct with me on becoming as healthy as possible to prepare a baby in the womb. He was very strick with quitting smoking and months later I dropped smoking! He’s very encouraging.
Describe the protocols John Nichols used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
Doctor had me use 7.5 (i think) of femara which was the perfect amount for me where my eggs would mature and I would ovulate. I took those for about 5 days starting on day 3 of my period. The first couple of months I would use a trigger shot to help with ovulation and it worked. I would also have an ultra sound around the time of ovulation to see how my eggs were maturing and they would give me the go on the trigger shot. I continued to ovulate every month but unfortunately with no pregnancy success!
So wonderful! I absolutely loved my nurses! They showed me so much love and encouragement! They are what made me comfortable with every visit and everything that I had to do.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic has all very good strengths in every area. Every visit I had was so welcoming and comfortable in every way. To me, I saw no weaknesses. Seems like a very strong ran office! All the doctors I met and nursing staff are all well educated and have a ton of compassion for every visit they saw me. I even loved my nurse who would take my blood in some visits.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I really hate that medical insurance does not cover any testing. The only thing insurance would pay for was some of the blood work.
Describe John Nichols's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Doctor suggested IVF May would be the next step we would have to do. He stated a single embryo would be the best choice because of my small size.
Greenville

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Nichols was nice at my consultation; however he did not spend a lot of time with me that day. Honestly he wanted to push IVF upfront since I had came from another doctor that did an iui already. It seemed he did not want me to try an iui. As stated before I only seem dr Nichols at my consultation as he primarily works out of the south Carolina office I was told and I went to the North Carolina office for my treatment. When the dosage of my fertility medication did not get results he didn't to my knowledge review and see if my dose needed to be increased to get better results. I was actually told on the days of my injections by the nurses that sometimes my follicles were on the small side, but they would go ahead and do my injections and have me come back for the iui. When I recieved my initial load result call from the nurse the only thing they found was low thyroid and low vitamin D. However after vitamin D supplements were started Dr Nichols never retested. As well I have had thyroid issues for 20 years. It seems to me that low thyroid could be a contributing factor in my infertility but they did not seem concerned about it.
Ask a lot of questions and ask for treatment to be re-evaluated through out the process. I literally felt like I flushed my money down the toilet
During my treatment I only saw Dr Nochols 1 time and that was during my consultation visit. After that I seen nurses on the practice. The nurses were wonderful, but I felt like when my treatment wasn't progressing that I should have seen face to face again with the doctor. So it felt like to me that I was just another number to him.
First 3 cycles were letrozole only 7.5 mg 3 more cycles letrozole 7.5 mg and injection shot Never once was it discussed to go up on the letrozole dose. Even though I was not getting pregnant
The nurses were wonderful, but it carried from nurse to nurse on the timing they would suggest for injections or when to preform the iui. It seemed sometimes they were doing treatments prematurely
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Weakness would be re-evaluating treatment. I would suggest asking lots and lots of questions. And question things you do not understand. Ask why medication can't isn't being increased. Ask for kab work to be redone if needed.
My total costs were a lot out of pocket. A good guess of my costs for my treatment there would be $6,000
Asheville

I felt like a human because Dr. Nichols was very gentle, thorough, and explained all the procedures prior to my testing. ... His communication is simple to understand. ... He made sure to pause and ask if I had any questions or concerns. He made me feel comfortable and show compassion for his profession. ... He would show me the results on the monitor screen and explain to me what's going on in words I can understand.
I saw Dr. Nichols for my HSG testing and he was very informative and compassionate. He was able to answer any questions I had and his genuine personality made the atmosphere and my anxiety feel relaxed. For example, my cervix was short so he had to reclamp it a couple of times. He showed his concern by asking how I was feeling and letting me know before hand, you will feel some pressure here or it will feel uncomfortable when I do this but it's not intolerable. He would show me the results on the monitor screen and explain to me what's going on in words I can understand.
Dr. Nichols is very gentle and will treat his patients with respect. His communication is simple to understand.
I felt like a human because Dr. Nichols was very gentle, thorough, and explained all the procedures prior to my testing. He made sure to pause and ask if I had any questions or concerns. He made me feel comfortable and show compassion for his profession.
The treatment I had was HSG testing. My results were normal and both of my fallopian tubes were not blocked. Dr. Nichols also offered ibuprofen in the office prior to the testing due to side effects of stomach cramping that can occur afterwards.
Nurse pracrioter Tori is just amazing. She is extremely knowledgeable in her profession. She is the main nurse in charge of my fertility treatment and medications. During my initial consultation with her, she was able to explained the process of ovulation, reproduction, and IVF procedure with me in terms that I can easily understand, as English is not my 1st language. When my 1st cycle of femara did not work as expected she was respectful and help kepted me motivated and hopeful. Love nurse Tori! Nurse practitioner Stephanie is so sweet. She conducted some of my ultrasounds appointments and is very comforting when my results turned out negative. Nurse Lauren is awesome too! She always have a warm personality and calls in my prescriptions so I can pick it up right away. Stephanie, one of the receptionist at the spartanburg office I go to, is the sweetest. She always greets me by name and with a beautiful smile. This is so important because it made me feel like a family member and welcome.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strength: welcoming greetings, clean environment, respectful staff, preserve my privacy, calls me right about my test results or any questions I should have, well educated nurses, works around my work schedule and even stays open during lunch hours, because it is so hard for me to get in due to working 8-5. Weakness: I wish the office would stay open longer on fridays.
My cost of care was under Dr. Nichols was the fee for HSG testing. It was out of pocket since my insurance do not cover any fertility treatments.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Nichols is a very intelligent and thorough doctor. The only downfall is you only get to see him maybe once a month if you are a patient at a Preg clinic outside of Greenville, SC. I have been told he takes phone appointments but i have not had one so i can't really speak to that. ... Be aware of his schedule of only visiting Columbia once a month. I wish someone would of explained that to me when I first reached out to Preg.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
While visiting Preg is was nice that the nurses and coordinators reminder your name and greet you with a smile. Sometimes, on the busy days it was more rushed and you felt like a number. More so with the doctors and not with nurses.
Protocol was IVF since I previously had 3 unsuccessful IUIs in another clinic in Columbia. However, Dr. Nichols and I talked and wanted to do one more IUI. It was a successful IUI in terms of getting pregnant but unfortunately I miscarried due to a missing chromosome for the fetus.
The nurses and phlebotomist were always kind especially Deborah. She was always compassionate, understanding, and patient with the many questions I asked.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: Clinic was very nice and not a sterile office like some. The nurses and coordinators were nice but sometimes the wait times could be improved. Weaknesses: Show more compassion when the cycle doesn't work and we have questions. We don't do this everyday so we have a lot of questions to ask and are looking for some sort of guidance on a scary and unfamiliar path.
Cost were cheaper than the other leading clinic in Columbia. But that didn't cheapen the service or the experience.
Columbia

Dr. Nichols explains things openly and in as basic of terms as needed. He repeats himself and answers any questions asked. The challenge is there are many unknown factors at this point in the journey and he is not able to provide concrete answers to many "what if" questions...He is serious but kind...suggested TIC by using letrozol and ovidrel. After that was unsuccessful for 3 cycles he suggested IUI as it had increased percentage of pregnancy, also using letrozole and ovidrel. That was unsuccesful through 3 cycles so he is now suggesting IVF.
European, Latino
He is serious but kind.
Dr. Nichols explains all options in as basic of terms as possible. He is willing to answer any questions and does not mind repeating himself to help me understand the processes and terminology.
Dr. Nichols suggested TIC by using letrozol and ovidrel. After that was unsuccessful for 3 cycles he suggested IUI as it had increased percentage of pregnancy, also using letrozole and ovidrel. That was unsuccesful through 3 cycles so he is now suggesting IVF.
I enjoy when I am able to see the same nurses each time I come. There was one instance when I saw a nurse I was not familiar with. She was fine but I preferred seeing my usual 2 since we have a rapport. There was also a lab tech receiving training one day who fainted during my IUI. That was troubling but I don't think it had any effect on the IUI.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I think the clinic is strong in returning phone calls, answering questions, and scheduling appointments in a timely manner. The main frustration is the cost of all the appointments and treatments is not feasible for me without outside help.
Costs for ovidrel injections were over $100 (not covered by insurance) each, costs for each IUI were almost $500 (not covered by insurance), and each office visit ran $45-$85 (insurance co-pay) depending on the reason. The cost for one cycle of IVF for me personally is looking to run above $20,000.
Dr. Nichols has made comments that he does not recommend multiple embryo transfers.

Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
As a patient the first round of IVF cycle I had different dr. for egg retreival, transfer and the ultrasounds [that Dr. John Nichols]. The 2nd time which I am still in the process of I have made sure to raise my questions and concerns and learning experiences from the first round to Dr. Nichols. I have ensured that all of the sessions in the second round has been performed by Dr. Nichols only. The second round so far has been less confusing since Dr. Nichols has explained the planning of egg retreival, but also added the ERA/biopsy testing this time.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
As a patient the first round of IVF cycle I had different dr. for egg retreival, transfer and the ultrasounds. The 2nd time which I am still in the process of I have made sure to raise my questions and concerns and learning experiences from the first round to Dr. Nichols. I have ensured that all of the sessions in the second round has been performed by Dr. Nichols only. The second round so far has been less confusing since Dr. Nichols has explained the planning of egg retreival, but also added the ERA/biopsy testing this time.
Perhaps little bit more of followup. A phone call from one of his nurses or himself would be appreciated after egg retreival, ERA/Biopsy or even embryo transfer.
Dr. Nichols has always been very caring and listens to my concerns and answers the questions I may have.
Egg Retreival protocol: Start Birthcontrol pill: 6/26/2018 (last pill 7/10/2018) Ultrasound/Baseline lab 7/11/2018 Day 1-4 (7/13/2018-7/16/2018) Gonal F = 150 units HCG 15 units Keflex 500 MG (AM & PM) Asprin low dose once daily Day 5-10 (7/17/2018 - 7/22/2018) Labs & Ultrasound on 7/17/2018 Gonal F = 225 units HCG 15 units Keflex 500 MG (AM & PM) Asprin low dose once daily Day 11 (7/23/2018) Lab & Ultrasound Gonal F = 150 units HCG 15 units Keflex 500 MG (AM & PM) Asprin low dose once daily 7/24/2018 Retreival Asprin low dose. No keflex 500 MG in the AM of retreival. ERA/Biopsy/Mock transfer protocol Start Bithcontrol and asprin on 8/6/2018 Last birthcontrol pill on 9/3/2018 Lab & Ultrasound 9/4/2018 Day 1-2 (9/6/2018-9/7/2018 1 - Estradiol 1 mg tablet AM/PM Asprin low dose Day 3-4 (9/8/2018-9/9/2018 2 - Estradiol 1 mg tablet AM/PM Asprin low dose Day 5-19 (9/10/2018-9/24/2018 3 - Estradiol 1 mg tablet AM/PM 1 Estradiol 1 mg tablet vaginally at night Day 15-24 (9/20/2018-9/25/2018 Progesterone in oil 100mg/cc (3/4 cc = 75 mg) IM AM Biopsy/Mock transfer/ERA done on 9/25/2018 Asprin low dose
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Polowczuk (IVF cord.))
excellent staff. very caring and also understanding. However, bedside care should be little better after egg retreival, mock transfer and embryo transfer. A phonecall the day after would be appreciated.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strenghts: Caring staff understanding of patients needs responds to questions/concerns Weakness: Bedside care Always in a hurry The diffferent treatment plans for IVF can be very confusing.Doctor does not give any recommendation to these but rather you have to choose yourself.
18,500 first IVF cycle 13,500 second IVF cycle Mock transfer costs routine costs during 2015-2017 Estimated total: $40,000 Total estimated:
N/A have not reached to that point yet.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Nichols; when we first met I felt confident that we would be able to move forward and although I was just turned 45yr, that there was still hope for my fertility and that under his care we could turn a small percent into a true pregnancy. Since then I've read many things and in realization that some things could of been done to help me more efficiently. I have felt disappointed and let down.... Protocols were same with each IUI. I have only done one IVF and one Mock cycle to fine tune the pill and shot amounts.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Ask for ultrasound to look for polyps before anything else. Ask to have husband tested before the day of IUI transfer.
Treatment was fine. I am aware that there are procedure that are followed in an elimination manner, however I feel that for my age I should of been tested for some things before my first IUI such as the HSG to see if my tubes were open. This was only done at my request after the #3 IUI's. Secondly, while I was having ultrasound before my first IUI set for few days later, the nurse said she thought she saw a possible polyp. That being my first visit I didn't know that polyps were a cause of failed IUI. My cycle should of been postponed till after the surgery. The office doesn't always follow through with making me aware of the next step and I have felt like I'm always chasing answers or requesting them to do extra measures that are being overlooked.
The details for these things have changed each time as per milligrams and pill choices for fertility. Protocols were same with each IUI. I have only done one IVF and one Mock cycle to fine tune the pill and shot amounts. I also wish that I had been given a choice when it came to LUPRON injections or at least a pamphlet about the detreimental side effects before being prescribed for treatment.
The nursing staff is great. I feel as women they understand the hopes of each visit. Compassion and understanding. I was always asked, are you doing ok when undergoing ultrasound.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff for appointments are great. I never felt forgotten. They got back to me in a timely manner so i could be on time for whatever was needed. Weaknesses would be that for my IUI and IVF cycle I had too many questions after going home as to why some things weren't checked. Another important matter is what we put in our bodies. There is no information other than online searching that fertility is tied to what supplements we take and food or bad food we eat.
From my reading and comparing online prices and asking other women from other clinics, the pricing associated with PREG is mostly fair and cheaper than other states. I understand these are not cheap procedures, but some do feel higher than others. However my options are limited going anywhere else due to my age. I have one embryo left with Preg clinic and hope that it results in positive pregnancy. Im meant to start soon with next cycle and will have to request a sonogram to check for polyps.
There was no option for this with me. We purchased 6 donor eggs and only 2 viable embryos were created. The wise choice is to do one transfer to have two possibilities.
Greenville

Dr. Nichols has listened to me every step of the way, and has been extremely kind and caring as he tries to help me get pregnant. He explains everything in a clear concise way, and is willing to work with me on specific requests and feelings about my transfers and the processes. I could not ask for a more intune doctor.... If he doesn’t know something, he will find out and give you an answer, and he is always willing to move in a direction that YOU are comfortable with.
Dr. Nichols is everything you would want in a doctor. He is knowledgeable in his field, kind, and considerate of his patients. He works hard to bring about the best positive results, and when things fail (as my 2 IVFs did), he is just as sad as his patient and more determined to make sure everything is adjusted and right for the next try. I would highly recommend him to any one trying to get pregnant.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and tell him what YOU want. If he doesn’t know something, he will find out and give you an answer, and he is always willing to move in a direction that YOU are comfortable with.
It’s been over a year since my IVF cycles with Dr. Nichols, but as best I can remember: Egg retrieval- hormone injections, clomid for ovulation, ultra sounds to monitor my uterus and ovaries, blood work. Result: 12 embryos Transfer #1: again clomid, injections for ovulation, I can’t remmeber what patches I wore a lot along my stomach, patches and vaginal progesterone (crinone), progesterone shots every three days, ultra sounds, blood work. Result: triggered low as pregnant, a few days later it was negative. Transfer #2: same as above Rationale about all things above was that it was what my body needed for its best chance to conceive.
They are all the sweetest ladies I have ever met in my life. They put up with a lot of emotions from those of us ttc and they never lose their smiles or helpful attitude. They are willing to help you learn (like how to put a shot in your bum) and never complain about having to explain something to you a few times (because that’s a lot of stuff to process!) I love the gals at Preg Greenville from front desk to to finance, I trust them all completely.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I have no complaints. They are efficient, kind, prompt and prepared for everything from check in to blood work to finance- this clinic will make your experience as stress free as possible. I highly recommend Preg Greenville to everyone ttc.
About 4K for the egg retrieval I think, additional money for medications and 2 transfers (a couple grand each I think) plus all the appointments for blood work and ultrasounds (don’t know the official total) and I’ve just had a hysteroscoy done and that was about $600.
Greenville

Dr. Nichols is extremely knowledgeable and very good at explaining what I needed him to explain...Don't expect any beating around the bush...We first tried ovulation inducing pills for a few cycles which did not help. He then recommended either IUI or IVF but the clinic was offering a new procedure called Simply IVF that we decided to try. We had to increase my Menopur dosage a couple times. Unfortunately I did not react well enough to the Menopur and we had to cancel that cycle
Dr. Nichols is extremely knowledgeable and very good at explaining what I needed him to explain. I like that he is very straightforward but still shows empathy when called for. If there is a patient that is highly prone to getting their feelings hurt when told they should or should not pursue certain treatments then I may not recommend Dr. Nichols but if the patient strictly wants a doctor that will do their best to give them the results they want then I would highly recommend Dr. Nichols.
Even if he's giving you information you may not want to hear, he only gives you that information because he feels it will help you in achieving pregnancy. Don't expect any beating around the bush.
He is very, very helpful and knowledgeable about everything I needed to know but was not at all afraid to be blunt if he felt the situation called for it (which it sometimes did).
We first tried ovulation inducing pills for a few cycles which did not help. He then recommended either IUI or IVF but the clinic was offering a new procedure called Simply IVF that we decided to try. We had to increase my Menopur dosage a couple times. Unfortunately I did not react well enough to the Menopur and we had to cancel that cycle. Dr. Nichols recommended then trying regular IVF so that I could be more closely monitored throughout my cycle but my husband and I wanted to try one more round of the Simply IVF instead due to costs. We did the same procedure one more time with a higher dosage of Menopur starting out and I still was not reacting as quickly as we hoped and we increased my dosage even more as we neared ovulation. We only got a couple follicles near the correct size, retrieved one egg, did IPSI and unfortunately that egg did not fertilize.
They were all SO kind and helpful with any questions or concerns I had. They always treated me like a friend and not just like a patient.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I just love this clinic and believe they're so good at what they do. I was concerned when starting this journey that there may be clinics that just recommended the highest cost procedures or treated their patients cold at such a difficult time but I found the exact opposite with this clinic. I hope that one day we'll be able to send them a picture of our baby to hang on their bulletin boards!
Simply IVF: $6000 Simply IVF Medications: $2000-$3000 each cycle, but I needed much more Menopur than most women do Femara: Covered by Insurance Birth Control Pills (to regulate before IVF): covered by insurance Consultations: $180 HCG: $500 Polyp Removals: I don't remember how much the first polyp removal was but the second polyp was removed during my egg retrieval so it was not an extra charge ICSI was also done at no charge because they were only able to retrieve one egg and they wanted to give it the best chance for fertilization.
We never got the opportunity to transfer any embryos but Dr. Nichols does highly recommend, depending on the age and health of the patient, doing single embryo transfer.

2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. NICHOLS always knew my case when I went in. He was quite blunt with his delivery of bad news but he was very informative and always made sure to answer my questions. ... He explained things very fast. Going in I didn't know much about the steps and process and I thought he went over everything really fast. He's very knowledgeable and I trusted everything he chose to do. After 1 failed attempt we went in with a different protocol and still did not get the results we wanted. Up next we're going to try and egg donor. He sounds optimistic about this next process.
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Have questions prepared because he throws a lot of info at you very quickly and it's difficult to process it all and think of questions.
We did injections of Gonal, microcode lupron, and low dose HCG. The first cycle had lower doses, the 2nd cycle had maximum dosages of the gonal. Similar results were achieved both times. First we retrieved 7 eggs and 2 fertilized. 2nd we retrieved 6 eggs and 1 fertilized. Neither time made it to blastocyst stage so no transfers.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Polowitz)
Very knowledgeable and understanding. Also very upbeat and positive
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths are everyone's attitudes. Nurses are kind and the staff is all on the same page. The clinic is very clean and neat. I can't think of any weakness. New patients would news to know that they will be taken care of. It's a scary process and the doctors and staff do a great job of making you feel safe and that you will be taken care of.
Insurance covered a great deal. We paid a little over 5,000 for the first round. Office visit prior to1st round were around $800 in total. $700 for medication the first round. The second round we paid a $150 office visit and $600 for medications.
We wanted to do 2 eggs transferred. The doctor encourage just one.
Greenville

Doctor Nichols is always prepared for our visits, having already reviewed test results and prepared literature for us to read. He always presents everything as an option with a recommendation but does not force us into any treatment we are uncomfortable with. .. He did not sugarcoat but was at the same time professional. I have not yet had the results I would like, but I’m confident I’ll get there with Dr. Nichols.
In one on one visits, Dr. Nichols was willing to talk about any concerns we had and listened to all of our concerns. He did not sugarcoat but was at the same time professional. I have not yet had the results I would like, but I’m confident I’ll get there with Dr. Nichols.
Come prepared with all of the test results and concerns that you have and be prepared to ask lots of questions if you have them. He will answer as many as you have.
We started with Femara and Metformin, but I was not a good responder. We did a “step up” the first time where we added more Femara without waiting for another cycle. I added injectables since I was not a good responder and upped the dosage each time to get more than one follicle since I didn’t get pregnant with only one follicle. I used a trigger shot to trigger ovulation each cycle.
For the most part the nurses are wonderful. Christina was always nice and sympathetic and gentle and never made me feel bad (even when I showed up thinking I was ovulating and I definitely wasn’t). Some of the other nurses were a little less warm, but were always professional.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is wonderful. Clean, organized, and feels like a spa. All of the equipment for treatment and diagnostics are on site which makes treatment convenient. It’s usually pretty easy to get appointment times that fit your schedule, even the same day or a day later.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation
He [Dr. John Nichols] is straightforward yet soft. This is refreshing! He does not dance around feelings and that provides so much more confidence in the process. He did not look at me like a wounded animal but rather just a bit more complex than the average lady. This was huge for my personal mental health as this process can be overwhelming.... I have a homogeneous folic acid mutation and thyroid issue. I am on folate, thyroid and baby aspirin every day now. My blood work is now normal after 6 weeks of taking the meds. I just finished 1 round of fermera and will take an injection tomorrow to help ovulation. I will then start with progesterone hoping for a positive.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation
He is straightforward yet soft. This is refreshing! He does not dance around feelings and that provides so much more confidence in the process. He did not look at me like a wounded animal but rather just a bit more complex than the average lady. This was huge for my personal mental health as this process can be overwhelming.
No advice in particular. If you are looking for someone to give you a huge and cry with you every appointment. This is not the guy for you. If you are looking for honest and straightforward answers, that's who he is! He knows you don't want to waste any more time, nor does he.
Before we came to PREG we had 2 miscarriages and felt as if we were getting nowhere. In addition, my OBGYN and staff treated me like a wounded animal. This was SO different when going to PREG and seeing Dr. Nicoles. He was confident in his responses and assured me that he was going to help us figure this out. He did look at me like I was broken. He was direct yet soft. Trust me, after 3 years of trying and multiple pregnancy losses, you just want someone on your team with honest and straightforward communication. I felt heard yet he did not tiptoe around the facts, which was a breath of fresh air! Most importantly you hear horror stories of fertility clinics taking advantage of your desire for children so they charge you at every corner.....PREG is 100% not that. They are aware of the cost and the impact of your family at EVERY appointment. Even blood work. Being "new" to the infertility world it has been awesome to know they will be honest and fair. No mistruths or surprises.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Mikayla Carver)
She truly is AWESOME. Answers my questions as in a timely manner no matter how silly.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Easy to find, clear communication and honest feedback. Make sure to call your insurance to find out how they handle infertility. From bloodwork to appointments, each one is diffrent. PREG lets you know what to call about beforehand and is very honest about cost structures.
My copay is 100 per visit. Other than that my insurance covers everything else. My prescriptions are about 150/month
Asheville

My husband and I decided to try 4 cycles of the Femara/Ovidrel + timed intercourse. We then completed 3 cycles of Femara/Ovidrel + IUI. Dr. Nichols recommended trying other options after several cycles of timed intercourse if we were ready. We chose to try IUI before moving on to IVF.... He sat with us in his office, explained every step of the process, and answered all of our questions. When it came time to move on to the next phase of treatment, Dr. Nichols was honest and encouraging but also made sure that we knew as patients that it was our decision. We appreciated Dr. Nichols being direct with us.
We have felt comfortable at PREG from our very first appointment with Dr. Nichols. He sat with us in his office, explained every step of the process, and answered all of our questions. When it came time to move on to the next phase of treatment, Dr. Nichols was honest and encouraging but also made sure that we knew as patients that it was our decision. We appreciated Dr. Nichols being direct with us. We would recommend (and have) Dr. Nichols to anyone that we know that is going through the same infertility journey as us.
Make sure to have questions prepared prior to your visit. Dr. Nichols is very willing to answer any questions you have and provide his opinion.
Dr. Nichols took the time to sit down with my husband and I multiple times to discuss our infertility. He took the time to explain to us the results from our tests/procedures and explain our options. Dr. Nichols, and his entire clinic, made us feel very welcome and hopeful during this infertility journey.
My husband and I have been diagnosed with "unexplained infertility" meaning we haven't been able to identify anything wrong with either of us. I started taking Femara to attempt to improve the strength of my ovulation since I ovulate on my own. I took 5 mg on cycle days 3-7 and underwent ultrasound on cycle day 12 to check follicles. I then used Ovidrel to stimulate ovulation. My husband and I decided to try 4 cycles of the Femara/Ovidrel + timed intercourse. We then completed 3 cycles of Femara/Ovidrel + IUI. Dr. Nichols recommended trying other options after several cycles of timed intercourse if we were ready. We chose to try IUI before moving on to IVF.
PREG has the best nursing staff that I have ever experienced as a patient. They are compassionate and always available the same day if I ever have any questions. They have been encouraging and have really helped me move forward with treatment when I thought I couldn't do it anymore. When we had a miscarriage, they were supportive and even sent us a card in the mail. The entire staff at PREG is wonderful!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG strengths: multiple locations (Spartanburg and Greenville), flexibility of appointments/scheduling, and compassionate staff. The financial support staff have been very helpful too, and we appreciate that there are multiple financial counselors within each clinic. I have not noticed any weaknesses of this clinic.
Medications: $20 or less (injection costs $110) Ultrasound: $190 (self-pay; not covered under insurance) IUI: $475

Anovulation, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr. Nichols is very personable and attentive to mine and my husbands needs. He was very thorough with his education to us making sure we fully understood the process and steps we have taken and will be taking....We started out having my husband tested first to make sure he is treating the correct person. Then he wanted to do unltrasounds at time of ovulation to see if I ovulated on my own. When that was identified, I was given ovulation medications to take during days 3-7 of my cycle.
Anovulation, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Be patient. Sometimes things don't happen on our time but God's time.
He always rederred to me by my name. He asks questions on how my husband and I are doing related to other daily activities and not just about fertility.
We started out having my husband tested first to make sure he is treating the correct person. Then he wanted to do unltrasounds at time of ovulation to see if I ovulated on my own. When that was identified, I was given ovulation medications to take during days 3-7 of my cycle. That was followed up by another ultrasound to see if I had response. When I didn't respond, the medications were increased the next cycle with ultrasound and labs to determine if I responded. I am currently on my 4th cycle of ovulation medications with positive ovulations but no pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Megen)
Megen is very personable, receptive to my comments, and overall wants whats best for me and my husband. She has answered all questions I have had without judgement. She has made sure I understood exactly what was going on and what to expect.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
All staff that I have interacted with have been nice, cordial and addressed me by name. I had asked for further information on IVF and if my insurance would halp pay, but all I was told was insurance would not cover any. No follow up with me on other financial support has been pro ided. Its like they figured I wouldnt want more information.
$40 co pay for every visit.
Greenville

It was our very first time at a fertility clinic. We were very nervous and had no idea what to expect, however, Dr. Nichols was wonderful at explaining exactly what was going to happen next. He gave us realistic expectations and helped us develop a plan that we felt comfortable with. He also did a complete evaluation to get more information on what was going on with our bodies and why we couldn’t get pregnant. He didn’t jump to conclusions without the proper testing. He was great at communication or results and gave us several different options for treatment.
Be honest. Go into the visit and explain exactly how you are feeling and what you are expecting. Dr. Nichols will be very upfront with you and he will be honest with you. He doesn’t give you unrealistic expectations, instead he provides you with facts and educates you about what options you have and provides you with the statistics for success. We always felt comfortable leaving and knowing what to expect.
Dr.Nichols was great at explaining all aspects of fertility and infertility in a way that anyone could understand. He showed us pictures and thoroughly explained testing and procedures. He asked us for our thoughts and how we were feeling about everything he explained to us. He gave us different options and let us make the decision with all of the information he provided. He made sure that we knew exactly what to expect.
After two years of tryin to conceive, we decided to see Dr. Nichols. He completed a full diagnostic testing to see if he could find a possible reason to why we couldn’t get pregnant. He ran bloodwork, semen analysists, and also did an HSG procedure to check my Fallopian tubes. After the results came back, we got the diagnosis of unexplained infertility. There was no obvious reason they could find as to why we weren’t getting pregnant. He created a treatment plan that my husband and I felt comfortable with. We decided to try femera, the ovidrel shot, and timed intercourse. The cycle we were suppose to start the treatment, we actually found out we were pregnant.
The nursin staff and the lab staff were amazing. They recognized us every time we walked into the office and they remembered little things about us. They celebrated with us as we went back in for bloodwork after the positive urine test.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We liked everything about this clinic except sometimes it was hard to get someone in the phone from the Greenville clinic. Often the Columbia clinic or Asheville clinic would try to connect us on the phone.
We didn’t hve insurance so we paid out of pocket for everything, however, they were aware of that and only ordered the necessary testing.l and helped us get good pricing on medications.
Greenville

Dr. Nichols is a very good communicator and listener he also shows compassion. While going over my husbands semen analysis test with us (which was not good) he explained all our options and the different steps he would like to do to try and help us be able to conceive using my husbands sperm. Instead of just going straight to donor sperm he is trying to do what he can so we can avoid donor. He didn't give up on us and that means so much!! He knows its important to us to be able to use my husbands sperm so he is going to let him do hcg shots to see if that can improve his count. I do not have anything bad to say about Dr.Nichols because he has always been excellent every time we've seen him.
Be straight forward with what you want and he will do everything he can to make that happen.
Dr.Nichols plus his staff are absolutely amazing! They never rush us during our appointments and always make sure they answer any questions we have. They remember who we are and call us by name when they see us. I couldn't ask for a better place to go to help my husband and I during this stressful time.
I love that the nurses dont treat you like you're just another patient that they're seeing. They treat you like family and it makes the stress of the situation not feel so bad. When we go 90% of the nurses have smiles on their faces. The only negative thing I could say is that a few of the nurses that check you out could be a little more friendly and welcoming.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff is very nice and understanding. The office and the rooms are always clean and the waiting room always smells good. It is a easy location to get to and the suite is easy to find also. Im always taken back to be seen in less than 10 minutes.
So far with my treatment its basically been blood work which runs me around $300. I had to have a ultra sound and dye ran into my uterus which I paid out of pocket $750. I had to have a polyp removed in the Greenville office and that was $475. The HCG shots my husband is going to start taking is going to be $320 a month.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Nichols made me feel excited about our plan with real expectations. He gives the facts and does what is best for our journey. He really does what he can to help in anyway. Although our first cycle was not a success, I would not prefer anyone else to handle my care. He is a great doctor with an abundance of knowledge and I would recommend him to everyone.... Our first cycle with Dr. Nichols was a fairly new process called simply ivf.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Don’t worry! Dr. Nichols will have your best interest at heart and will guide you through the process in the best way.
Dr.Nichols wanted what was best for my husband and I and still does. Looking at every number before the process starts allows him to alter the cycle based on our infertility.
Our first cycle with Dr. Nichols was a fairly new process called simply ivf. After looking at my prior history, recent blood work, ultrasound and my husbands history, semen analysis and blood work, he felt this was a good plan for us along with my own interest. The process is very controlled and monitored throughout with blood work and ultrasounds to make sure we are at an optimum for a retrieval. If my follicles were not at an optimum state for retrieval we kept going until they were with more days of medicine to get them there. We had a good number of mature eggs for retrieval however my husbands sperm were not able to fertilize my eggs properly making my number of embryos low. We transferred the one good embryo we had and ended with a chemical pregnancy. I agree with every decision made throughout the process and wouldn’t have changed the way the process went. If there is a failed treatment, the doctors come together to talk about a plan of action to get the best result moving forward. I agree with every decision and plan made for our journey.
All of the nurses were great throughout the process. Several were in charge of my care but felt I comfortable with all. They were compassionate and helpful with any questions.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG is always prompt with appointments and emailing or calling back. I never had to wait! I was able to work with my schedule for appointment times. Financial department was very informative and helpful with everything. I cannot complain about this clinic.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Monitoring appointments worked perfect with my schedule and I have a full time job. I never had to wait. I never felt like I was rushed. Very efficient office.
Simply ivf cost a standard $5000 plus $1000-$2000 of medicine. That covered monitoring appointments, retrieval, transfer, freezing etc. Stephanie in the financial department was amazing with helping me understand and went above and beyond to break everything down. VERY HELPFUL!!!
Dr. Nichols does recommend a single embryo transfer is most cases, however will consider all things to allow he best option for the best outcome. I agree with his approach.
Greenville

Dr. Nichols is very good at relating your individual condition with statics. He has a neutral way of communicating and helping one understand their condition what could take place after treatment begins....Be prepared for no nonsense and no sugar coated communication. Dr. Nichols will guide you through everything, but you have to be willing to let him do so....Dr. Nichols can be blunt at times, but you know he is only trying to convey all of the possible outcomes-- the good, the bad and the ugly.
Dr. Nichols can be blunt at times, but you know he is only trying to convey all of the possible outcomes-- the good, the bad and the ugly. We all know that IVF has all of the above!! At one time, Dr. Nichols was especially compassionate when I broke down while talking about having to ask another woman to carry my child. I always look forward to my visits because I feel I am being treated and cared for by a very knowledgeable doctor.
Dr. Nichols is very good at relating your individual condition with statics. He has a neutral way of communicating and helping one understand their condition what could take place after treatment begins. He is stern but caring, and you know when you leave that he knew exactly which patient he was working with and has a plan for you as an individual/couple.
I will be taking birth control to start followed by Menopur and Lupron. I have not actually started the meds yet so I feel I cannot give much insight on this at this time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey Forbes)
The staff at PREG are amazing!! That may sound cliche, but the first RE's office we visited could not hold a candle to them! We love going to our appointments because they are prepared for us. They have our files out ready and waiting for when we walk in the door! Each and every person that we have come in contact with from the front desk staff to Dr. Nichols himself have been wonderful! It's a warm and inviting atmosphere, and that is so very important when you are going through somethings so emotionally and physically involved.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic as a whole is 100% spot on. Every employee is very friendly and prepared for you when you come in. I always follow up to make sure that things have been followed through with, i.e. payments documented, appts scheduled, etc., but I really feel they don't need any checking up on! They're really great!
We are using the Simply IVF method, and I know the promotional rate that we were given is no longer available, but it is still just have the cost of traditional IVF-- between 5,000 and 6,000. Of course, we will have to use our gestational carrier for the transfer, and this will be an additional $8000 plus her medications.
This office does allow you to chose whether you want to implant one or two embryos-- not more than two, but they do recommend only transferring one.
Asheville

He [Dr. John Nichols] was amazing! I have been doing treatments for 5 1/2 years and he is the first doctor to straight out tell me the regular treatments aren’t going to work! He listens and thoroughly answers any questions or concerns. I feel he truely cares for his patience!... He does not hide his thoughts or feelings and I straight forward with you! He understands you are not just away for him to get paid but a human going through something.
European, Native American, Other
He was amazing! I have been doing treatments for 5 1/2 years and he is the first doctor to straight out tell me the regular treatments aren’t going to work! He listens and thoroughly answers any questions or concerns. I feel he truely cares for his patience!
Prepare for straight forward and honest but a simply amazing doctor.
Every treatment he started with progesterone to help start a cycle. Then follow up with clomed and the last cycle added gonal f.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Meagan )
The nurse I was assigned personally emails me so it’s a faster response than having to call in. If I email with a question I get a response with in an hr or 2. All the nurses are extremely caring and nice.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I honestly don’t think they have any weaknesses. I have been 2 other places and this is by fast far the best. The communicate well, treat you like a human and not a number, care for your well-being. Even the financial department is on top of things with getting back to people and being on top of things with patience. I honestly could not have picked a better doctor.
I have never had to big of a bill from this office. We are hopefully going to try IVF. We had an understanding we were covered with insurance and were ready to go with it and today got a call that our employer changed policies in the new year and we are no longer covered. The office is working diligently with us to figure out a solution.
Greenville

Dr. Nichols provided multiple options for my husband and me during our consultation appointment. We decided to try timed intercourse plus medications (letrozole + trigger shot with HCG) for 2-3 cycles prior to progressing to the next step. ... but for this next cycle, the dose of letrozole was increased from 2.5mg to 5mg. ... He used a patient-centered approach with us and encouraged us to be active participants in the care plan. ...
Our consultation visit with Dr. Nichols was very informative. We appreciated his direct approach and discussion of the pros/cons of each treatment option. The information presented can be very overwhelming in a consultation visit, but we left with a clear understanding of what to expect next, as well as optimism.
I would advise a new patient to have an idea of what they want in terms of treatment options and not to take a passive approach to these decisions.
Dr.Nichols addressed my husband and I with respect and listened to our concerns and questions. He used a patient-centered approach with us and encouraged us to be active participants in the care plan.
So far, we have only had one cycle with Dr. Nichols. Based on previous work-up with a fertility specialist the month before (whom referred us to PREG after initial work-up was inconclusive), Dr. Nichols provided multiple options for my husband and me during our consultation appointment. We decided to try timed intercourse plus medications (letrozole + trigger shot with HCG) for 2-3 cycles prior to progressing to the next step. Unfortunately we did not get pregnant this first cycle but for this next cycle, the dose of letrozole was increased from 2.5mg to 5mg.
Nursing staff has been wonderful. Education that was provided after our first visit was extremely informative and helpful. All our calls have been returned promptly and questions answered fully. Wonderful experience!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
My husband and I have been very pleased with PREG. All our encounters with staff and personnel have been positive. Physicians and nursing are informative and caring. Any questions we have had are addressed promptly and fully.
My insurance required a $40 copay for all visits. Insurance provided some coverage for medications and covered all diagnostic procedures; however insurance will not cover IVF.
Asheville
Dr. Nichols used the Pre Univfy report to help determine the best options for fertility care. He went over the report and started with the basic treatment of clomid with ovidrel shot and timed intercourse. After two timed intercourse treatments failed, we then moved into the clomid/ovidrel/IUI treatment process. After two of those failed treatments and a year of trying to conceive, we met back with Dr. Nichols to discuss possible IVF treatments. During most of this time, treatment options and treatment procedures were carried out by nursing staff.
Dr. Nichols is very thorough with his explanations and answers all questions. Sometimes he goes a little too fast with all the information. As with any doctor's office, you have to be your own advocate and ask questions if you don't understand certain process/procedures. The whole fertility treatment process can be very overwhelming, and he is very helpful and knowledgeable.
Make sure you ask questions about anything you don't understand. He goes very fast with the information, and it can be a little overwhelming. Also, be aware that he doesn't do all the procedures himself. A lot of patient care and treatments are carried out by the nursing staff even though you pay co-pays as if you are seeing a specialist.
Dr. Nichols and his staff are always friendly and willing to help you with anything you need. Any time you call with a question or concern, they are always helpful and get back to you in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Makayla)
Every nurse and care coordinator that I came into contact with was always friendly, welcoming, and willing to help me in any way possible. Makayla, the nurse who has mainly been responsible for my care plan, has been outstanding. She has answered all my questions and been a great support during the treatments. The nurses taking care of my treatments have seemed very knowledgeable in every process.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths are how well they help you plan and how fast they follow-up with any questions or concerns. A new patient would need to know that they will have to be flexible with schedule times. All of the treatments are scheduled on specific days, so if you work, you will need to possibly take time off for certain treatments. Sometimes, it's a hardship that the Asheville clinic is only open half a day on Fridays.
My insurance does not pay for many of the treatments at PREG. However, they did provide me with a Compassionate Care card to help save on ovidrel shots. They also have provided me with financing information if I proceed with IVF. Financial data was presented up front after my initial appointment.
Even though he didn't mention "eSET", he did discuss not transferring more than one embryo at a time to prevent multiples.
Anovulation, Unexplained
Treated Like A Human Text During our visits, I felt Dr. Nichols was very honest. Like myself, I believe he was frustrated that things were not progressing with me. Unfortunately, I didn’t feel a lot of positive energy at a time when I really needed it. I feel as if he really pushes towards IVF when sometimes there may be a simpler solution. I still do not know what is causing my infertility, and am not pregnant after trying for 2 years. I wish that I would have had more time to talk to him one-on-one, but during each visit I felt rushed. However, I do really appreciate him being honest and not giving me false hope.
Anovulation, Unexplained
Dr. Nichols explained in previous comment sections. The nurses were fantastic at PREG. They all spent time talking to me and lifting my spirits. If I ever called the office, they got back to me quickly, and with an answer. The clinic was nice and kept clean, and the office staff was also polite.
I would tell someone to prepare themselves because nothing will be sugar coated. I left in tears after almost every visit at PREG. Not because of Dr. Nichols or the staff, but just due to whole situation. I would just tell them to prepare mentally and to stay positive during this difficult time!
I underswent 6 rounds of femara. A few of those included injectables and trigger shots. I also had an IUI with trigger shot. Towards the finally rounds I took femara for more days. He wanted me to start on day 3. I had very little response until my final round. I asked if I could also take prednisone with the femara ( I read that helps), and estrogen. He agreed to that and I had three mature follicles. Unfortunately, I never was able to get pregnant.
The nursing staff is great! Very kind and thoughtful to patients situations. Description further in previous comment section.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
It would be awesome if the office had earlier or later hours. With my job, it was very hard to get an appointment, and I had to miss work often for visits. Overall they are all great. I feel like they are very quick to get back with you and explain everything well. I wish they were open to trying more patient specific care plans instead of sticking to protocols. Every patient t is different and therefore requires different elements and levels of care.
I believe I spent under 5k
Greenville

I don’t have any complaints about Dr Nichols. He has been great. He is straight forward and helpful. We are still going through the treatment process and we get explanations and updates every time we go into the office. If I want to just sit down with Dr Nichols he makes time for us.
Ask questions. Make sure you understand everything before you leave the office. He is extremely helpful and knowledgeable and will answer everything.
Doctor Nichols and his team take the time to sit with us and tell me and my husband every result and every chance we have. He’s honest but still shows how much hope we have.
I had already been to two doctors before Dr Nichols. I had been through timed intercourse and IUI. We first tried simply IVF because it was a new process that was cheaper and was known to work with PCOS. That resulted in no fertilized eggs. Next we moved to full IVF. We got 6 embryos and attempted a transfer. I was pregnant but miscarried at about 7 weeks. We just recently tried another FET and it resulted in a negative pregnancy test. We will be trying our third FET with two embryos in the next few months as our doctor thinks it will give us a better chance to go to full term.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Emilie)
The staff at PREG is amazing. I can go to them and ask them anything. They get back to me quickly with answers.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths are communication and knowledge. The only weakness I have found is that a previous doctor that was extremely rude to me is now working with them. Luckily I have not had to interact with her at all.
My insurance does not cover IVF so I pay out of pocket. Simply IVF was about $5000 and The first IVF with FET was about $10000 with $5000 in medications. The second FET was $3500 with about $2000 in medications. I expect our upcoming third try to be the same. I also had a D&C that was about $500.
Our doctor was careful not to suggest multiple embryo transfers until we had two failed attempts. He has explained the risks and benefits in detail and did not pressure us to choose what he thought was best.
Columbia

Be prepared to receive news in a “tell it like it is” manner. There’s no sugar coating or interest in getting to know you as a person. He [Dr. Nichols] seems to want to get you in and then out and on to the next patient...The only thing we discussed on the consultation appointment is that I needed to come back and get Cycle day 3 blood work done to make some determinations...The doctors bedside manner needs work. He seemed very rushed and a little disorganized. He could have been a bit more gentle with his delivery of words. He did not seem terribly concerned with me as a patient.
The doctor did not seem very concerned about me as a patient. He does not have a gentle manner with the way he communicates. I can say he was definitely a straight-shooter with what he had to tell me as far as my chances being lower of becoming pregnant due to age. I did appreciate him being candid and honest, but I feel a doctor should always be compassionate and show a genuine caring interest in his patients.
Be prepared to receive news in a “tell it like it is” manner. There’s no sugar coating or interest in getting to know you as a person. He seems to want to get you in and then out and on to the next patient.
They were friendly and seemed caring, although they seemed VERY disorganized. They would call me to come back, then send me back to the front again while they sorted out a few things. It’s unprofessional and embarrassing really, seeing a staff being disorganized.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
It’s very clean looking and visually appealing on the inside on the front end. From the outside, it looks like an old Rite Aid or CVS converted into a clinic. The front end staff was very friendly and caring. The nurse who took my vitals was very loud and does not respect patient privacy.
Columbia
First, he recommended that my spouse see a doctor at the clinic so that we could get his count in a good place (great results and increase in count, motility, etc.) While my husband was going working on his side of things, Dr. Nichols made sure I was getting started with everything I needed to do for myself (prenatal vitamins, metformin, blood work, femara, etc). My follicle scans were planned and I responded favorably each time, which made me feel great.
Dr. Nichols always provided me with all of the information I needed to make the best decisions regarding my course of treatment. He did not sugar coat anything or give me false hope and I appreciated his candidness. He also told me that sometimes all things can be in line and look great and it still just doesn't happen, but that doesn't mean it won't in the future.
I would say tell him your desires and then listen with an open mind as he goes over your test results with you and what he thinks might be the best choice for you as far as treatments go. He is so knowledgeable and I so appreciated his wisdom and expertise as I entered a world that I previously knew nothing about. It's a scary experience - but he makes it not so scary and easier to navigate.
Dr. Nichols always treated me like a human, not just a numbered patient. There was a personal aspect to all of our interactions and I appreciated the fact that he always greeted me by name, asked how I was, and gave me genuine information to help me made the best decisions.
I want to single out Meghan because she was so wonderful to me throughout my IUI treatments. I called multiple times with questions that would come up and she was always so responsive and kind in her replies and answers. I felt like she truly cared about me and my results. She showed compassion during visits when she was my nurse, and made me feel less afraid and disheartened.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
As far as strengths go, I feel like PREG is above and beyond when it comes to modern treatments and is a leader in reproductive health and education. I truly feel like it's the place to go when you want help to reach your dream of having children. The main weakness would be communication. There were a couple of times when I did not get a call back and had to call again a day or two later because I did not ever hear back. When timing is so important in this journey, I feel like communication should be a priority. I had great responses using the online chat feature though. Some nurses and staff members are more compassionate than others, but overall I am pleased with the treatment I have received.
Insurance did not cover any fertility treatments for me, so all of my expenses are out of pocket. It is quite expensive, but I was aware that fertility treatments are costly.
I did not participate in any of this.
Greenville

Although he was blunt he did show compassion and understood our heartache and struggle. ... . He likes to make sure you understand why you are doing the procedures that you are and what to expect if they do not go as planned. He will then rethinking meds and procedures according to your history. He will let you know the options and give you the freedom to choose your next step without judgement.
He is very factual and can answer the questions that you ask. He likes to make sure you understand why you are doing the procedures that you are and what to expect if they do not go as planned. He will then rethinking meds and procedures according to your history. He will let you know the options and give you the freedom to choose your next step without judgement.
Have questions ready to ask ahead of time. Let him know up front your concerns.
Every month when I start my period I call. They then send in my famara to my local pharmacy and my gonal f / ovidrel injections to Mandel's pharmacy. On days 3- 8 I take famara, on days 6-9 I take my gonal f injections. On day 10 I go in for an ultrasound ( because I'm an early ovulater) if I have mature follicles they will give me my ovidrel injections. I then go back 24hr later for my IUI procedure. One week from then I go to get blood work done to check my progesterone level to make sure I ovulated. A week later I am to take a pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Michaela)
She does an excellent job explaining what they are doing and why. She is always friendly and willing to answer any questions. This is time when we went in for an IUI I had great follicles but my husband's sperm count was very low. She knew I was concerned so she gave her option and told us she would give us a my minute to decide. She was not pushy at all. The first thing she asks every time we meet is " how are you feeling? How did you do this month? Do you have any questions?"
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are very friendly, they learn your name quickly. You as a patient need to research as much as you can about what you are going through so that you can be prepared to ask questions. Make sure you fully understand what all the blood work means and the lingo. Because they do this everyday I think they forget the newbies do not know all of they terms, and that can be scary.
Doctor visits are about $80, untrasounds $50, IUI $575, gonal f $375, ovidrel $107, famara $6.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
Sometimes it feels like he can rush just a little. It's nothing I would mention to him but I can feel like he has others waiting on me. My husband does not feel this way, I would like to add. ... I have a tendency to be anxious and have some strong emotions so with that in mind we choose not to put me on Clomid. ... He is very knowledgeable about fertility medicine, I don't doubt that if I am able to get pregnant that he will be the doctor to help me.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
He is very knowledgeable about fertility medicine, I don't doubt that if I am able to get pregnant that he will be the doctor to help me. Sometimes it feels like he can rush just a little. It's nothing I would mention to him but I can feel like he has others waiting on me. My husband does not feel this way, I would like to add. I always prefer working with an NP/PA and that is why I started with Victoria in the office, she seemed to move at a little slower pace. I also had a bad experience as a young adult with a male OB/GYN during a procedure and that might also be some of the underlying issue.
Be prepared for a lot of information at once.
He is very knowledgeable but when my care was transferred to him from the NP in the office (who I requested originally) he was preforming the HSG test. He diagnosed me with a unicorniate uterus but it was very unexpected and he was also caught off guard. It was a hard little while. Other than that experience (which was not totally 100% his fault in that situation) he has been great!
I am on two Ovidril pills in the evening during my early cycle days and time intercourse. I have a tendency to be anxious and have some strong emotions so with that in mind we choose not to put me on Clomid. I am also on a trigger shot, this is because I have trouble ovulating.
She is very comforting and walked me through my most recent ultrasound with precision. I fell very comfortable in her care.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG is a wonderful clinic with great staff. I would recommend them to anyone who is having difficulty conceiving a child. I have been blown away by the compassion and care I have received during my months with them.
Minimal currently, except for my genetic testing. I was unprepared for that cost. It was about $650.00 out of pocket
Greenville

Dr Nichols was very warm, friendly, attentive and caring when it came to such a sensitive matter of infertility and not understanding why we have not had a pregnancy yet when all our results came back with normal numbers.... He always took the time to assess our needs, desires and wants- along with respecting our desire to take a break after 6 months of treatment with no positive pregnancy tests... We started our first month with femera and ovidrill trigger shots
Spend more time with clients, we only visited a few times and both times were under 15 minutes since he knew our chart and name
We started our first month with femera and ovidrill trigger shots, throughout the next 6 months we adjusted dosage of femera to promote more eggs, this was taken on days 5-10 of my cycle- we followed up with the shot on the first day of a positive ovulation test. I came in for routine ultra sounds to also know when to trigger and time inter course. We have not had any success with this. Dr Nichols suggested our next step being IUI or IVF, we just cannot afford the extra $600/month for this.
Everyone in the office is so friendly and positive! I love the energy!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Be prepared to meet the happiest, positive outlooking, genuine people you’ll ever meet! From the moment walking in the door, I was nervous as this is not something easy to discuss with someone and everyone met with me a smile and asking genuinely how we are and let us know through every step, they’re here for us. I loved knowing that a lot of people working there started as patients so they’ve been in our shoes and understand where we are in this stage of life compared to someone not knowing what struggles come with infertility
Our insurance does not cover infertility treatments, everything has been out of pocket and on average costing $500/month for medications, ultra sounds, appointments, and blood draws- our next steps are IVF or IUI but we’d be looking at a minimum additional $600/month on top of what we were already paying.
Greenville

His [Dr. John Nichols] first treatment strategy for me was IVF- he said due to a previous surgery I probably had scar tissue preventing me from getting pregnant. I got pregnant that month without his treatment, but had a miscarriage. The pregnancy was normal- in my uterus. I took a break, and felt like Dr. Nichols must have been pushing for IVF since obviously I could get pregnant. I later learned that was not the case. After about 10 months I returned to Dr. Nichols and asked to do meds and timed intercourse, and he agreed. I did about 3 cycles with good tests, but not pregnancy. I also developed polyps that had to be removed. I did one cycle of meds and IUI, but it was not successful despite great numbers for my husband and me. The meds were Femara and Ovidrel. He is willing to listen and let me do the treatments I am comfortable with. I plan on beginning the IVF process soon under his care.
I think that Dr Nichols is a great doctor with a ton of experience. He wants to help me and his other patients get results. His goal is a baby, and whatever method I have asked to do, he has let me do. I wanted to wait on IVF and he has let me try meds and meds and IUI. I have had some issues that he has helped me with, uterine polyps. He has been a great surgeon and is much more personable in the OR. I was not sure about him at our first visit, but now I know he does care. He wants results, and he gives advice from his experience.
Trust his judgement- he is a very smart man!
I felt like Dr. Nichols takes too little time to get to know my situation specifically. I realize he is busy, but a little small talk about life can give him more insight into my infertility that what my file says.
His first treatment strategy for me was IVF- he said due to a previous surgery I probably had scar tissue preventing me from getting pregnant. I got pregnant that month without his treatment, but had a miscarriage. The pregnancy was normal- in my uterus. I took a break, and felt like Dr. Nichols must have been pushing for IVF since obviously I could get pregnant. I later learned that was not the case. After about 10 months I returned to Dr. Nichols and asked to do meds and timed intercourse, and he agreed. I did about 3 cycles with good tests, but not pregnancy. I also developed polyps that had to be removed. I did one cycle of meds and IUI, but it was not successful despite great numbers for my husband and me. The meds were Femara and Ovidrel. He is willing to listen and let me do the treatments I am comfortable with. I plan on beginning the IVF process soon under his care.
I love the nurses I saw at PREG. Lynne and Meagan were always friendly, and I looked forward to seeing them on my visits. They showed kindness and were very professional. They went above and beyond to explain exactly what I needed to do and how I needed to do it.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Overall I think PREG is a great place to go for fertility treatment. They are friendly and try their best to help in any way they can. This type of treatment can be awkward at times, but everyone is professional and helped to make me feel comfortable. The only weakness of note was communication over the phone- sometimes the person receiving the call would be confused or unable to find the doctors notes in a timely manner- adding stress to an already stressful time in my life.
Costs weren’t too expensive for meds and IUI, but I don’t remember exactly, maybe around $200 per cycle with meds and $300 for meds and IUI. My two uterine polyp removal surgeries cost around $900 a piece with anesthesia being around $475 of the cost. All of the mentioned costs were after insurance.
Greenville
Dr Nichols was straightforward with us, gave us the facts and our options, and the likelihood of those options working. He never made us feel rushed during our appointments and explained everything thoroughly. We felt very lucky to have had him as our doctor. ... . Once it was time to decide on a course of action, he clearly laid out our different options and the success rates of each of those options.
Dr Nichols explained the results of all of our testing thoroughly and in ways we could clearly understand. Once it was time to decide on a course of action, he clearly laid out our different options and the success rates of each of those options. When our first embryo transfer failed he gave us a few options moving forward and didn’t push us to go a specific way, he just laid out the options and left it up to us to decide. Our second transfer was successful and we now have a beautiful baby boy.
Ask a lot of questions and trust in his medical expertise.
We didn’t do a fresh transfer because we wanted to do genetic testing on our embryos. After testing we were left with 7 frozen embryos. Our first cycle I was on 7 estrogen pills a day, 6 oral and 1 vaginal, and .5cc of PIO. That cycle failed even though my lining and hormone levels were all excellent. The second FET cycle we did Dr Nichols advised us to do a scraping of the uterine lining to promote new cell growth so we did that. My progesterone was a little low so in addition to the 7 estrogen pills a day, he upped my PIO dosage to 1cc and I was also on a progesterone suppository. That cycle resulted in a live birth.
Kelsey was amazing. She’s the kind of nurse I always wish to have. She answered all of our questions, never left us waiting during our appointmentments, and was always super friendly.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic in Asheville was small, though I think they moved locations since we last went. It was always clean and the staff friendly. We never had to wait long for our appointments and any questions we thought of after leaving were answered promptly by phone or email.
Egg retrieval through the first pregnancy test was around $15,000. The second FET was $3000 not including the cost of medications. We paid for everything out of pocket.
Dr Nichols advised us to transfer one embryo at a time. My only issue was tubal blockage so he seemed pretty confident that we wouldn’t have any issues getting pregnant by FET. He advised that transferring multiple embryos could result in a multiple birth which is higher risk. We opted to only do a single embryo for each transfer because of his advice.
Asheville

I wanted tubal reversal, and thought maybe we were going that route. But by my next visit, he [Dr. John Nichols] strongly suggested IVF. I wish he would have elaborated more on why he didn't want to do a tubal reversal on me. It is like everything shifted, on my next visit. I know it was a few months after my initial work up, but I felt & still feel like I still have a chance with tubal reversal. He was excellent with my ultrasound though. He also explains things very well despite his being blunt. I can deal with that.
I wanted tubal reversal, and thought maybe we were going that route. But by my next visit, he strongly suggested IVF. I wish he would have elaborated more on why he didn't want to do a tubal reversal on me. It is like everything shifted, on my next visit. I know it was a few months after my initial work up, but I felt & still feel like I still have a chance with tubal reversal. He was excellent with my ultrasound though. He also explains things very well despite his being blunt. I can deal with that.
Know that he is smart, yet blunt. My only hang up is that he just didn't want to really hear about doing a tubal reversal by the second visit with me. My situation was a little different. My husband (fiancé at the time) was working in Maryland, and we didn't want to actually do a lot until he moved to SC. But by this time, like I mentioned earlier, Dr. Nichols didn't want to do a tubal reversal on me.
For the most part, I felt like a human. He is, however, very blunt.
I didn't make it to any treatments. I only had an ultrasound. He was excellent at the Ultrasound.
Everyone I came in contact with was extremely friendly and professional.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: Courteous, calm, professional, they followed up with any requests I had. I met with a lady in the back (I cannot remember her name at present), but she was very understanding and told us about options as far as payment plans/options. She also shared with us that she had IVF. She went into detail about how sometimes the hormones have certain side effects, but it was well worth it bc she has her child now. Weaknesses: None that I can think of at the moment.
Some of my labs and I think my ultrasound was covered under insurance. I believe everything else was out of pocket.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
As a patient, I felt that Dr Nichols was with us 100% of the way. I felt that I was the most important and only patient he was treating, even though I knew I wasn't. ... My chances of getting pregnant at 43 and way overweight, weren't great, and Dr Nichols told me that in a very friendly way. I felt that he and I connected right then because he could see and hear how badly I wanted a child and he treated me like I needed to know the facts, and I needed a doctor who would be there for me. He and his team were wonderful.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
As a patient, I felt that Dr Nichols was with us 100% of the way. I felt that I was the most important and only patient he was treating, even though I knew I wasn't. The entire IVF journey is very emotional and having Dr. Nichols as my doctor, I really lucked out.
He will tell you the truth, and not sugar coat it. But he's not being abrupt, he's telling you what you need to hear and not what you always want to hear. You need a doctor that in on your side like Dr. Nichols, because he really is wanting to help.
We scheduled a consult with him before we committed to anything. My chances of getting pregnant at 43 and way overweight, weren't great, and Dr Nichols told me that in a very friendly way. I felt that he and I connected right then because he could see and hear how badly I wanted a child and he treated me like I needed to know the facts, and I needed a doctor who would be there for me. He and his team were wonderful.
I had lots of shots and lots of medicine. I know I had Clomid, and I can't recall the name of everything. Did one embryo transfer and it was unsuccessful. Dr Nichols adjusted the medications. We then did 2 embryo transfers and resulted in pregnancy with one.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: I don't recall names, but I had a few)
The staff was fantastic. I highly recommend this clinic.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Everyone is very friendly and wonderful to be around. From the person who signs you in to the person at check out, every person is smiling, saying hello to you and shows compassion when they can see that you need it.
It was expensive, but it was expected. I can't recall the exact cost, but I had seen a doctor in Colorado and the Colorado doctor was way more expensive and she was all about the money.
He told me all the facts and let me decide.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Nichols was very honest and very caring during my treatments. With Diminished Ovarian Reserve the prognosis of having a baby was slim. Dr. Nichols allowed me to choose to continue the IVF, even though he thought our chances were only 10%. He not only helped create one baby - but twins with one egg!!... Dr. Nichols is a very knowledgeable and compassionate doctor of infertility. He thoroughly explained my situation and grim outlook on becoming pregnant. However, grim the outlook- Dr. Nichols allowed us to try IVF to conceive.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Nichols is a very knowledgeable and compassionate doctor of infertility. He thoroughly explained my situation and grim outlook on becoming pregnant. However, grim the outlook- Dr. Nichols allowed us to try IVF to conceive. I have DOR and only produced 6 eggs the last cycle. 3 were retrieved and one was transferred. We ended up pregnant with twins. I am so grateful that Dr. Nichols allowed us the opportunity to help in the decision to try to conceive. He was very straight-forward in my diagnosis and prognosis. Yet when we decided to try, he did everything in his power to help us be successful in becoming pregnant.
Trust him. He knows what he is doing.
My treatment strategies were IVF without birth control for stimulation because of DOR. unfortunately don't remember the medicines used.
The nursing staff was excellent, caring and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is very together. They handled all my needs effectively and efficiently. T Staff was very friendly. The clinic has all the necessary lab equipment there, so you didn't have to go other places to get labs done. They were even there on Saturdays and Sundays if needed.
Cost was reasonable. Medication, which they have not control over, was very expensive.
Because we only harvested 3 eggs, and because of my DOR Dr. Nichols was open to transfer more embryos. Only one embryo made it to day 5 and was transferred.

3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Nichols has been a great doctor. I was previously at another clinic and one of the first things I noticed here is that I actually get to see my assigned doctor quite a bit. I feel he is familiar with my situation. He takes time to answer all of my questions and even came in on a day he was not scheduled to work to perform an unexpected surgery. He is open to hearing my suggestions and feedback as well.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
You will get good medical care but you will also feel like you are more than a number, which is very important.
I had previously come from a large fertility center in Atlanta where I was just a number to most of the staff. Coming here, I felt that the clinic was small enough that everyone knew who I was. That includes everyone from front desk staff all the way up to my assigned doctor. I can get questions answered quickly because the staff is friendly and is familiar with me as a patient.
I first had an antagonist protocol using gonal-f and low dose HCG. I transferred 1 embryo fresh, it led to a chemical pregnancy. We PGS tested and transferred one of the tested embryos. That led to an ectopic pregnancy. We then went into our 2nd retrieval, again using an antagonist protocol with gonal-f and low dose HCG. This time at higher doses of gonal-f.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay)
I cannot say enough good things about the staff at PREG. From my very first phone call inquiring about the practice, to now having gone through a year of treatment, they have been an absolute blessing. The staff at my previous clinic were cold and robotic, and nothing could be further from the truth here. I love that I have the ability to reach my nurse via phone at most times without having to leave a message and wait for a call back. Emails are returned promptly. Scheduling is easy as my nurse is able to do that as well. The nursing staff that draws blood and the nurses who are in the room during ultrasounds, egg retrievals, and transfers are all so warm and caring. They actually know who I am and remember me when I come back in for my next visit. I drive out of state for treatment at PREG and the staff is definitely one of the reasons that it's worth it.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG is a smaller clinic. I personally have loved this because I get a lot of personalized attention and have easy access to my doctor and nurse. They also have great people on staff who are warm and caring. On the occasions when I don't see my doctor, I am typically seen by one of the other doctors (Dr. Payne). At my old clinic, it was not uncommon to just see a nurse or a nurse practitioner. I like that I am typically seen by a physician here. I also have to say that Dr. Payne is an amazing doctor as well and I feel just as comfortable with him as I do with Dr. Nichols.
the cost for IVF at PREG was significantly lower than at clinics in Atlanta
My doctor was willing to transfer more than one embryo, but suggested one, especially once we had PGS tested. My husband and I agreed with his recommendation.
Greenville

He [Dr. Nichols] set my protocol to one of the most aggressive ones bc my last few rounds of ivf resulted in only 2 and 3 eggs retrieved. ... He changed my protocol from what I had previously done and was ready to start the process with me all while being very upfront, honest, and hopeful with me. ... He was very honest and direct with me about my odds of having a successful cycle given my history and diagnosis. But he listened to me when I told him I wasn’t ready to give up.
He was the first dr I saw at the practice. I didn’t see much of him after that but he was always reachable and available for questions. The rest of the team took great care of me through the whole process
I would recommend seeing him. He was my second fertility dr and I researched him and the clinic extensively beforehand. They lived up to all my expectations. So glad I found him and the practice.
He was very honest and direct with me about my odds of having a successful cycle given my history and diagnosis. But he listened to me when I told him I wasn’t ready to give up. He changed my protocol from what I had previously done and was ready to start the process with me all while being very upfront, honest, and hopeful with me.
All I remember is my ovaries needed to be stimulated a lot due to a diminished reserve. He set my protocol to one of the most aggressive ones bc my last few rounds of ivf resulted in only 2 and 3 eggs retrieved. I got 8 from my cycle with Dr. Nichols! I mean etveven thought that was possible for me. I now have an 11month old son from this cycle! He helped us to complete our family.
So amazing. Every one of them were compassionate and kind. And some had a wonderful sense of humor which was very much appreciated throughout the process.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Clean, comfortable and lots of rooms. Everything seemed very organized. I have nothing bad to say about the clinic at all. I only had good experiences here so I’d highly recommend it to anyone looking for a clinic
My insurance had already been used for one cycle of IVF at a different clinic before. So most of my cycle was not covered here. They were great at helping me figure out what would be covered and what would have to come out of pocket. I know I paid full price for all of the medications

2013 - 2016
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Dr. Nichols seemed to genuinely care for my health and pregnancy...He was very straight forward with me about my endometriosis, age, and possibility of getting pregnant naturally. He advised me that IVF was best in my case and I should not waste time or money on another round of clomid or trying IUI. He believed they would not be successful. I had surgery under his care as well for my endometriosis. When I had an issue post-op I was able to call him at home and he met us at the hospital.
2013 - 2016
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Dr. NIichols was very caring and compassionate. He was very straight forward with me about my endometriosis, age, and possibility of getting pregnant naturally. He advised me that IVF was best in my case and I should not waste time or money on another round of clomid or trying IUI. He believed they would not be successful. I had surgery under his care as well for my endometriosis. When I had an issue post-op I was able to call him at home and he met us at the hospital. He worked with me as far as time frame for the IVF so that I could utilize the maximum amount of insurance benefits before the end of the year. He was concerned for my health and told me not to push forward just because of my benefits if I was not feeling well. That my health and the possibility of overstimulation was more important. He is a great physician and I plan to go back someday for our second miracle baby. He helped us achieve our dream of having a child after trying for 8 years. He is amazing and we will forever be grateful!
Don't give up! Have faith in science, the physicians, and God. It will happen and it is so worth it!
Dr. Nichols seemed to genuinely care for my health and pregnancy.
I cant remember specifically any drugs except for Ovidrel. I was able to have a successful IVF cycle and my son is now 2.
She was genuine and explained everything to me thoroughly.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The only weakness of the clinic is the lady who sits at the front. She is not very friendly. She usually does the checkout in the greenville office. Everyone else was nice and helpful. She seems to not enjoy her job very much.
Altogether I think it was about $14,000. I had a payment upfront and then the rest was due on transfer day.
I am glad that I was only able to have 1 embryo transferred. I don't know what I would have done with multiples. My insurance also had stipulations about the number tranferred.
Greenville

Dr. Nichols wanted to hear what other doctors have done or not done then he explained to me the different options that he could do for me to help me achieve my goal of having a baby. Then he asked me were I felt comfortable starting and how many times we would like to try that option before deciding to move on to the next option.... I have PCOS so he started me on metformin I think 2,000 mg a day and Provera to help start my period and when I started my period I would call in and the nurse would call Clomid in to the pharmacy and tell me what day to take it and when to check for ovulation and when to come in for ultrasounds and when to have intercourse or when to come in for the IUI.
Dr. Nichols wanted to hear what other doctors have done or not done then he explained to me the different options that he could do for me to help me achieve my goal of having a baby. Then he asked me were I felt comfortable starting and how many times we would like to try that option before deciding to move on to the next option. He made me very comfortable and I completely trusted everything he said he knows what he’s talking about. He was the first doctor that I’ve seen that took the time to listen to me and value my opinion.
He is amazing and he wants nothing more than you to end up with your miracle baby at the end of everything and he will do everything in his power to help you.
Well I have PCOS so he started me on metformin I think 2,000 mg a day and Provera to help start my period and when I started my period I would call in and the nurse would call Clomid in to the pharmacy and tell me what day to take it and when to check for ovulation and when to come in for ultrasounds and when to have intercourse or when to come in for the IUI. The first couple times the clomid wasn’t helping so he upped my dose and I also did gonal-f and it helped we did IUI with donor sperm my choice to try and better my odds of conceiving. It unfortunately did not work either. I decided to take a break and think of my next options and I really feel like IVF is the next best option.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Biggerstaff )
Everyone in both Preg offices are amazing and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
There offices are amazingly beautiful, clean and welcoming. I love seeing pictures on the walls of previous miracle babies conceived with help of the amazing staff at PREG. The rooms are nicer then most doctors office rooms they really try to make you as comfortable as possible.
The I Ovadril shots were not to pricey in the office I think maybe $50 for one shot and my insurance covered all but $10 of the clomid and all but $5 for the metformin. The IUI I believe was $550 each try plus I paid $800 for donor sperm.
We never got that far.
Spartanburg

I saw Dr. Nichols for the initial consult, the HSG, and my 2nd IUI. He was respectful and clearly optimistic about my prospects of achieving pregnancy. He initially recommended Clomid due to my history of unsuccessful home inseminations, but he told me it was may choice. I chose to do an unmedicated cycle first, but when that didn't work and my post-ovulation progesterone came back low, I agreed to try Clomid for the 2nd try, which is the one that worked.
Do your own research ahead of time so that he won't have to spend a lot of time going over "the basics" and can focus on your individual situation.
Office staff was friendly and remembered me when I came for follow-up visits. Dr. Nichols listened, took me seriously, and seemed to genuinely care about helping me get pregnant. He could tell I had done a lot of research ahead of time, and he did not question my decision to pursue IUI and a single woman.
He recommended I start with a medicated IUI cycle using Clomid, based on my history of 4 unsuccessful home inseminations, but he made it clear that it was my choice whether or not to use medication. I chose not to use Clomid for my first IUI, but I did use a trigger shot. When that cycle didn't work, I agreed to a prescription for 50mg Clomid to take cycle days 3-7, and that IUI resulted in my daughter.
The nurses were mostly nice and helpful. One nurse was somewhat negative when doing my follicle scan for the medicated cycle, as she seemed disappointed that I only had one mature follicle with two smaller ones. I was happy with those results, however, because I had been concerned about the risk of multiples.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I loved the intimacy of the Spartanburg office, and it was an easy drive from where I live. My only complaint is that I couldn't do the IUI's there (because I was using donor sperm, and they could only store that at the Greenville office).
My insurance covered all office visits (consult, blood work, HSG, IUIs, and ultrasounds) with a copay. I had to pay out-of-pocket for sperm processing, which I think was $100, and for the trigger shot, which was $50 each time.

2011 - 2012
Dr. Nichols was the first doctor that I saw at PREG, but I ended up switching to a different doctor later because I liked him better. I felt that Dr. Nichols did not have a great bedside manner and did not always say things in a caring and compassionate way. However he is a very skilled doctor and he did do both of the transfers that were successful.... I wouldn't exactly say I was treated like a number, but I didn't feel like he had a very good bedside manner.
2011 - 2012
I would recommend seeing Dr. Payne instead.
The cycle that I was a patient of Dr. Nichols was a full cycle. I don't remember exact doses but I can give the drugs that were used. Birth control first, then Lupron to shut down the ovaries. Then I took Gonal-F, estrogen patches, and progesterone shots. Doses of the Gonal-F were increased as needed after each monitoring appointment. I did really well with this protocol as it resulted in our first son!
The staff at PREG's Spartanburg office are very caring and compassionate! I have been a patient there since 2011, and the faces have changed. Like the primary nurse when I did my first cycle had retired by the time I went back to try for our second child. But I have never received anything but the best care.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I highly recommend PREG to anyone dealing with infertility. The staff is very compassionate. My phone calls or emails have always been returned promptly, usually the same day. I especially love nurse Stephanie at the Spartanburg office. She and the rest of the staff really go the extra mile to make sure you receive the best care!
The monitoring appointments are always first thing in the morning, but they have to do it that way so they can get the blood work to the lab and be able to tell you that day if there will be any changes to your meds. There were usually not very many other people waiting and my wait was not more than 15 minutes.
I believe I paid about $2300 for a full IVF cycle. That didn't include meds. I don't remember exactly how much I paid for those. I had infertility coverage for the medical and the medications.
I don't think my doctor had a preference. I doubt he would have supported transferring more than 2, not that we would have wanted to. We were educated on the risks.

2005 - 2012
Dr. Nichols was absolute the perfect combination of a doctor with great bedside manner and blunt honesty. With each failed pregnancy attempt, before a successful pregnancy, Dr. Nichols would call me to check on me and encourage me. He was simply the best!... Every concern I had Dr. Nichols addressed and ultimately, made me feel better about. It was my favorite thing about him. I trusted his opinion and expertise and I felt confident in each step in my journey.
2005 - 2012
I honestly do not feel like there were any weaknesses to speak of. Every concern I had Dr. Nichols addressed and ultimately, made me feel better about. It was my favorite thing about him. I trusted his opinion and expertise and I felt confident in each step in my journey.
Tell him everything that scares you or concerns you. He really wants to know.
I went through a couple of cycles of ovulation "stimulator" drugs. Then, we did exploratory surgery to confirm that I had endometriosis. Soon after, I went through IUI as failed attempts. After a year of failed pregnancies, we discovered that my endometriosis was just as bas as it was in the beginning. I had another surgery to "clean" me out and then we decided to go straight to In vitro for best results. The first attempt was failed, but we had frozen embryos. The second IVF was performed as soon as possible and it was successful.
It has been so long that I do not remember their names, but I never once felt like I was not cared for. Everyone treated my husband and myself with compassion and concern.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The absolute hardest part was payment. I had excellent insurance and was considered "one of the lucky ones." However, I still had to pay 20% and all of my medications. It was a huge financial strain and sometimes, I did not feel the compassion in the billing department. :)
I do not remember the total....It was too daunting to think about. :) However, my insurance covered 80% of my treatment, otherwise there is no way we could have gone through with IVF. I have a beautiful 16 yr. old because of Dr. Nichols and that 80%.

PCOS, Unexplained
He [Dr. Nichols] has now met with me on 3 occasions and each time presents everything in a clear manner and answers all of my questions. ... He is personable and presents things in a way that I can understand. He answered all of my questions. Though he encouraged IVF, once I explained I could not afford that treatment, he provided alternatives and changed my course of treatment just with medications. ...He completed several tests and labs prior to starting treatment.
PCOS, Unexplained
Dont be afraid to ask questions or ask to meet with your doctor.
He has now met with me on 3 occasions and each time presents everything in a clear manner and answers all of my questions.
He completed several tests and labs prior to starting treatment. We started with medication and following each cycle I would have an ultrasound and labs. After this was unsuccessful, we met and discussed IUI. We increased medications and attempted IUI. However, these were last unsuccessful, so we met again and though IVF was recommended we are unable to afford this, so we changed the course of treatment to just include an increase in medications.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Mckayla )
I like that I for the most part am always seen by Mckayla. She is always polite and empathetic. She also makes sure to answer all of my questions and is always open to calling her directly through the week.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are all polite, empathetic, provide understanding and clarification, and always make themselves available. I did have to request to see the doctor one time; however, since that time I have seen him without having to request it. So I would encourage anyone to speak up and dont be affraid to ask for an appointment with the doctor or any questions.
Asheville

Dr. Nichols was very up front about the tests and procedures and also explained some of the possibilities as to why things were happening. He also explained very thorough anything that was going to be done.... Dr. Nichols is very knowledgeable and has loads of experience. He is very up front and could possibly be too blunt for some individuals, but I would rather a doctor be honest and not sugar coat anything.
Be up front and honest with him and take any advice that he gives you. He is a great doctor.
My husband was prescribed HCG and every 3 days and clomid, 25 mg, due to having no sperm from being on testosterone for several years. I was prescribed Letrozole when my cycles were being monitored. We found that my husbands sperm count soared after being washed so we opted for IUI treatment after the first IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Mikayla and Deborah)
All of the staff at PREG are super nice and great to work with. They are sweet and compassionate people. They feel like family when we are there.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG has several offices in NC and SC and most procedures are done in the office. The staff is great to work with and very friendly and caring. They also get you into appointments as needed and work around your schedule as must as they can.
The costs were pretty reasonable. My insurance was filed for me and if IVF was needed they helped with financing.
We have not discussed embryo transfer yet, but will in the future if this IUI is not successful.
Greenville

Dr Nichols is very compassionate and caring. He explains everything in detail gives us our options and also his honest opinion which helps with decision making. Any questions we have he is more than happy to answer. He goes over next steps very clearly so we know what to expect.... Dr Nichols is very compassionate and caring. He answered all my questions and was very knowledgeable.
To make sure you make a list of all the questions you have and feel free to ask him anything. He is very knowledgeable and explains things very well.
The nursing staff has been wonderful. They are very nice Everytime I call to ask a simple question. When we are at the clinic they are always right there willing to help or answer any questions we may have. They are always smiling and happy to see their patients.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The Drs and nurses are very friendly and helpful every time we are there. They are always ready to greet us when we walk in the office. The clinic is very clean and inviting. The pictures they having hanging on the walls give you hope and the atmosphere is always pleasant.
I have just started seeing Dr Nichols and just recently went over cost for the procedure we are looking at doing. He gave us a detailed list of information about pricing and nutse was able to sit down and talk to us in more depth about the financial part.
Asheville

Dr. Nichols is very good at what he does. Sometimes his delivery comes across as harsh. I think he is very thorough and straightforward. ... I was told basically I am running against my bodies clock and time is of the essence. I need to follow the suggestions provided: Exercise, vitamins, health, acupuncture, and following the prescribed medicine's instructions. ... The nurses [PREG] have performed the majority of my IUI's.
Dr. Nichols is very good at what he does. Sometimes his delivery comes across as harsh. I think he is very thorough and straightforward. I think he could show more compassion when delivering hard news. People dealing with infertility are extremely vulnerable and most of the time dealing with raw emotions. He needs to be mindful of that.
Take what he says as very helpful diagnosis and information.
I think it is his nature to be very straight forward and explain all possibilities. At times that can be a bit alarming.
I absolutely love the nursing staff. They are awesome. They are so good at giving clear instructions. They show compassion and are gracious. The nurses have performed the majority of my IUI's. I do wish the doctor on call had done more.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
For some reason I do not get the emails. My husband does. I would encourage to ask questions and to take notes. I would say the weakness is the access to the portal does not have everything like My Chart does. That could be improved.
Costs include: Follicle scans, Blood work, medication, supplements, ovidrel injection, IUI, at home urine tests, in office urine tests.
Greenville

He [Dr. Nichols] seems very compassionate and explains things clearly. He understands what a trying procedure it is, and never rushes you or pressures you into anything. When I call the clinic with a question, it's not always the doctor that responds, but on our next visit he does follow up with my concerns.... First we ran tests on myself and my husband to eliminate what we could. I had to do several blood tests, ultrasounds, and a dye-scan. I was diagnosed as "unexplained infertility." then we tried Clomid oral tablets and fertility boost injection. Ihad lots of side effects, but did not get pregnant from the first try, so we are upping the dose. This is where we are now.
He seems very compassionate and explains things clearly. He understands what a trying procedure it is, and never rushes you or pressures you into anything. When I call the clinic with a question, it's not always the doctor that responds, but on our next visit he does follow up with my concerns.
Give it time.
He actually takes the time to listen to and address concerns, from both myself and my partner.
Everyone has been very kind and compassionate. They understand what the patients are going through. The phlebotomist was honestly the best I've had in my life : normally I pass out when my blood is drawn, but with her I didn't even feel a thing.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I go to the Asheville branch, so when I need something "bigger" done, I have to drive to the Greenville branch, because our clinic doesn't have things like dye-scan. I'm uninsured, so it can be pricey, though I don't know how it compares to other clinics.
$90 for office visits and small tests like blood and seen. Closer to $300 for scans and ultrasounds.

Anovulation, Unexplained
He [Dr. John Nicols] has been very thorough with explaining everything in detail and always making sure we felt comfortable. I always felt like I was talking to a family member and felt comfortable. He has gone above and beyond with meeting with us about any concerns we have. He is very compassionate and reassured us with any setbacks we had. He kept up my confidence!!
Anovulation, Unexplained
He has been very thorough with explaining everything in detail and always making sure we felt comfortable. I always felt like I was talking to a family member and felt comfortable. He has gone above and beyond with meeting with us about any concerns we have. He is very compassionate and reassured us with any setbacks we had. He kept up my confidence!!
Tell him everything- he will try his best to figure out a solution
Answered any questions we had. Followed up with us regarding concerns and made us feel like family!!
Trying clomid and femaera first before injectables.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Megan Vazant)
Megan- I cannot say enough wonderful things about her- I mean she has been such a blessing!!! I could joke with her and she made me feel completely at ease when some things were uncomfortable. She is the best nurse that I have ever had in my life!!!!!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
weaknesses- did not give us IVF protocol in enough time to research options of buying drugs. We would have saves thousands if not more if we had ample time to research. There was a lot of waiting time at appointments. I would NOT recommend LINDSAY POLOWCZUK- she was one of the nurses that treated us like we were 5 years old and reprimanded us for things. strengths- worked as much as they could with our work schedules.
drugs were very expensive and we should have know what we needed in advance so we could buy cheaper
They suggested we transfer 1 or 2 but not any more

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
He [Dr. Nichols] is very kind and to the point and that’s what I Love about him. Always answers all my questions and is willing to help in any way. A great doctor very caring. He sat me down after my first set of labs and went through and explained each one and what they meant, trying to give me some answers as to all of my losses. I would recommend him highly to anyone struggling with infertility... He started me on femara to induce ovulation,because I had been on clomid for way to long.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
He is very kind and to the point and that’s what I Love about him. Always answers all my questions and is willing to help in any way. A great doctor very caring. He sat me down after my first set of labs and went through and explained each one and what they meant, trying to give me some answers as to all of my losses. I would recommend him highly to anyone struggling with infertility
To listen to his advice and try to do everything he says
He is always very kind and understanding, explains everything in detail and answers all my questions.
He started me on femara to induce ovulation,because I had been on clomid for way to long. Then I come in for a follicle scab on day 11, based on that I will do an hcg trigger shot, then 3 days post ovulation I will start progesterone suppositories to help try and prevent miscarriage. I also am on daily aspirin and metformin due to pcos and pregnancy loss.
They are all so very kind and compassionate. They always call back promptly after leaving messages answers every question in detail, always explain procedures and results
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: very kind offices and compassionate and very tentative. Weakness: I really don’t have any complaints honestly, it would be nice to see the doctor more often but not always necessary. I think this is a great clinic and would refer anyone
Iui:475$ Hcg shot 80$ Ultrasound copay:50$

2006 - 2018
IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Dr Nichols is blunt and to the point but his beside manner is pretty good. The only time that I felt like a number is when I was refused ivf based upon my age. ... He is not as receptive to women over 40 or 41. At least one ivf cycle should be offered to women over 40 who are still ovulating as long as the woman is well informed of her chances. It should not be the Dr or clinics [PREG] place to deny treatment with her own eggs.
2006 - 2018
IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Dr Nichols is positive and upbeat when you are within the age bracket to where a live birth is more likely. He is not as receptive to women over 40 or 41. At least one ivf cycle should be offered to women over 40 who are still ovulating as long as the woman is well informed of her chances. It should not be the Dr or clinics place to deny treatment with her own eggs.
Dr Nichols gave me my son for which I am truly grateful. If you are under 40, he will help you with your own eggs and you will likely have a positive experience.
I used ivf with ICSI but I don't remember the protocol. I was on birth control pills for a few weeks prior to stimulation.
Stephanie Biggerstaff went out of her way to help me. She has the patience of Job. All of the nurses were super nice.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I think this clinic needs to be more on the cutting edge of helping women use their own eggs over 40. There are no clinics in the area that will listen and work with them. PREG is not interested and claims to be looking out for their best interest, however if the client knows their chances, it should not be up to the doctor.
I would say between PREG and the sperms bank I've spent around $45,000 out of pocket. PREG received an additional $15,000 from my insurance company. I have one child but wanted two.
I don't have an opinion in this area.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
He [Dr. John Nichols] is absolutely amazing, so straight forward and makes every appointment comfortable. He makes sure we understand everything he said to us and is so honest with his words. He has helped me so much in little time and when I never thought I could get great help he was there to pick up the pieces another doctor left behind.... I have not started any treatments yet. Because I had to have surgery first and get both my Fallopian tubes removed. As they were swollen and infected. It was one of the most scariest times of my life as I thought after that I would never get pregnant. But he said I can have a chance with IVF.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
He is absolutely amazing, so straight forward and makes every appointment comfortable. He makes sure we understand everything he said to us and is so honest with his words. He has helped me so much in little time and when I never thought I could get great help he was there to pick up the pieces another doctor left behind.
Keep faith because he works miracles.
He was very patient but also so honest and straight forward. I love that about him.
I have not started any treatments yet. Because I had to have surgery first and get both my Fallopian tubes removed. As they were swollen and infected. It was one of the most scariest times of my life as I thought after that I would never get pregnant. But he said I can have a chance with IVF. I’m just praying a miracle happens, I have lost so much hope because I can not afford this treatment. My insurance does not cover anything for IVF. Everything will be out of pocket.
Amazing team.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are patient and kind. They listen and review everything you spoke about. They make sure you feel very comfortable. They work with all your needs. They stay in touch after every surgery, health problems and see how you are feeling.
Very expensive, $12,500 for my IVF and that’s ball park. They said it may can be more. I’m praying it is not that much because I don’t have them at all.
I have not experienced this yet

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Nichols was very pleasant and talked to me like I was a human being. He wasn’t just trying to convince me to do things his way he actually listened.... Was told I had to use donor eggs. Currently trying to find a donor and move forward now. Dr. Nichols explained his recommendations based on his experience but I wanted to try with my own eggs so I saw a different doctor. That didn’t work using my own eggs. So now, we are back seeing Dr. Nichols. He’s a great doctor and the only one I prefer seeing at the clinic as thee others are rude and don’t have good manners.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
We never got to a treatment still in the process of trying to do that. Was told I had to use donor eggs. Currently trying to find a donor and move forward now. Dr. Nichols explained his recommendations based on his experience but I wanted to try with my own eggs so I saw a different doctor. That didn’t work using my own eggs. So now, we are back seeing Dr. Nichols. He’s a great doctor and the only one I prefer seeing at the clinic as thee others are rude and don’t have good manners.
Giving him all of your information and allow him to provide you with his best medical advise.
No treatment has been provided at this time, we are in the process of moving forward.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is nice, Dr. Whitman is a doctor I would not recommend anyone seeing at the clinic. Her bedside manners is horrible, she lacks tact and is rude. Out side of that the staff is good but can be a bit slow with replying to messages and sending back information.
Donor egg cost for one kit is approximately $15,000 - $28,000 and is not covered by insurance. The doctors office cost and procedures are approximately an additional $10,000 - $15,000. Plus medications. Fresh egg cycle with donors are a bit more expensive, approximately an additional $10,000 plus the donors medication and procedure cost.
Columbia

He [Dr. Nichols] took the time to be real with me about my situation. I feel like my previous doctor sugar coated everything which didnt help in a serious situation such as infertility. He really got down to the bottom of my problem to help me.... I was also experiencing excrutiating pain that he was able to diagnose as a block fallopian tube and treat it surgically... He occasionally comes across as blunt and it can seem harsh at times. However, I feel like I needed that from someone by the time I came to see him so it honestly didnt even bother me.
He is very smart and knowledgable. He makes you feel very comfortable with his decision making. I never questioned anything he told me. He speaks with confidence. He occasionally comes across as blunt and it can seem harsh at times. However, I feel like I needed that from someone by the time I came to see him so it honestly didnt even bother me.
Trust him. He knows what hes doing.
He took the time to be real with me about my situation. I feel like my previous doctor sugar coated everything which didnt help in a serious situation such as infertility. He really got down to the bottom of my problem to help me.
I have not pursued treatment for fertility yet but plan on doing so in 2019. After multiple failed treatments from another facility and 3 endometriosis surgeries I came to Dr. Nichols for a 2nd opinion. I was also experiencing excrutiating pain that he was able to diagnose as a block fallopian tube and treat it surgically. We have discussed simply IVF. I feel certain I will need IVF of some sort because of my history with clomid, femara, and even injectables with no success.
Very caring and friendly.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Always on time. Very friendly and compassionate. Very personable. I have not noticed weaknesses. They also are very flexible with your schedule. They get you in as soon as possible. The nurse line always responds in a timely manner. Always impressed.
Not sure
Greenville

Dr. Nicholas was very knowledgeable. He did a wonderful job of explaining what we were to expect from baseline blood work to pregnancy test. However, he didn't necessarily take as much of a hands on approach as we'd hoped. Another doctor performed our mock retrieval and I wish Dr. Nicholas would have completed this. I think it would have assisted with the actual retrieval. Nevertheless, I think he set realistic expectations and provided us with decent care. I would probably try another doctor on future IVF attempts.
As with any doctor or service provider; do your own research and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Dr. Nicholas was informative and thorough in answering questions. He didn't seem overly friendly, didn't attempt to build rapport, and at times seemed disinterested in our fertility journey.
The nurses were all wonderful. The were kind and understanding. They explained things clearly. I had a great experience with the nurses.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic was accommodating. It was comfortable and welcoming. It seemed pretty standard. It was easy to locate and yet inconspicuous enough. The temperature was just as you would expect of any medical facility. By far the best part were the adorable baby pictures and birth notices. Always a reason to smile!
$5,000 for 1 round of Invocell.

Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Nichols is very direct and cut to the point type of doctor. He never gave up on helping my husband and I conceive. We had tried every medication and nothing worked. He called me one evening with one last option we could try and it worked.... Dr. Nichol has a very dry personality and at times it comes off as rude but after time with him he begin to understand him. He's straight to the point and will explain everything so you understand. He won't make false promises but will do everything he can to help you have a baby. I
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Nichol has a very dry personality and at times it comes off as rude but after time with him he begin to understand him. He's straight to the point and will explain everything so you understand. He won't make false promises but will do everything he can to help you have a baby. I highly recommend him
Be patient and trust the process
We used several different medication and injections. I can't remember the names if all of them
I wish I could remember all the names but I love the whole staff from check in, to the lab, the nurses and check out they made me feel like family not just another patient
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I love how they keep you updated and call to let you know the results of lab work or test. I felt like family every time I walked in the door, being greeted by name. I had a say in my care and everything was explained to me where I can understand. When I would get discouraged I was reminded to stay positive and knew they were providing me the best care possible. After 10 months of trying we finally got pregnant with twins and even when we lost them at 26 weeks. We received a card. That ment so much because they cared. I will use Dr. Nichols again
It was a little over $3000
I recommend multiple
Greenville

He [Dr. Nichols] was very clear and straight forward but at the same time very nice. I could tell he’s really busy, but he was not demeaning or rude unlike other doctors we had interviewed at another clinics. We were very pleased!!... He was quick to come up with a plan of action to rule out any factors causing infertility and then once we ruled out, he quickly devised a plan of action for trying to achieve pregnancy. I appreciated that he never rushed us.
He was straight forward with his method of testing and treatment. We felt confident in his ability and knowledge. He was quick to come up with a plan of action to rule out any factors causing infertility and then once we ruled out, he quickly devised a plan of action for trying to achieve pregnancy. I appreciated that he never rushed us.
He’s not warm and fuzzy, but he’s very smart and good at what he does. he is kind and appears to enjoy his work for his patients.
He was very clear and straight forward but at the same time very nice. I could tell he’s really busy, but he was not demeaning or rude unlike other doctors we had interviewed at another clinics. We were very pleased!!
Blood tests, laparoscopy, HSG, and then IUI with use of letrazole and a hormone trigger shot.
Loved them. Very conscious that infertility is hard. Very knowledgeable and good at their jobs!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I have nothing negative to say... it was a positive experience for us. They made the financial and medical very clear. We met with a counselor when we needed financial information. The nurses were organized and helped us get through beach appt. the IUI was as smooth as it could go. Another doctor did our ultrasounds and he had great bedside manner, which eased our nervousness.
Blood tests, drugs, the IUI, and the ultrasounds
Greenville
He [Dr. Nichols] is a Compassionate, caring, and understanding doctor. He always gave us all our options and what he thought would be best for our situation. He had a great bedside manner. He took the time to explain things when we had questions or didn’t understand something. He was encouraging during the process of our treatmen.... Suggested to attempt iui, after the second failed attempted he suggested ivf but gave the option to try iui one more time.
He is a Compassionate, caring, and understanding doctor. He always gave us all our options and what he thought would be best for our situation. He had a great bedside manner. He took the time to explain things when we had questions or didn’t understand something. He was encouraging during the process of our treatmen.
A great fertility doctor, very educated in fertility treatments
The doctors at Preg always went out of their way to listen to you, give advice, provide excellent care, and take the time for each of their patients. It always felt like a family when being cared for at Preg
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey)
The nurses at Preg were great communicators. They were caring and compassionate. Always did a great job explaining medications and procedures. Performed their task in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Great clinic. Small but easy to find. When calling the clinic always easy to speak with someone. Always clean. Did a great job at providing privacy. At each appointment theWaiting time was appropriate.
While doing fertility treatment insurance did not cover the treatments. Each iui was 400 dollars, not counting the medications, between medications and the ivf treatment it was about 20,000 to 25,000 dollars. We spent the extra money to get the embryos tested and we are glad we did considering we only had one perfect little miracle out of 4 good embryos.
Asheville
Dr. Nichols is brilliant at what he does. He is on the "blunt" side of explanations, but he is thorough and makes sure there is complete understanding. He is a busy man, but he does take time to get to know you specifically in order to best treat you.... For all three cycles we used Femara 7.5mg along with Gonal-F injections and HCG trigger shots. I unfortunately did not ovulate on any of the cycles, even when we upped dosages on the injections.
Know yourself! Have a full history ready when you go for your first appointment. And also to be ready for some hard truths at times, but know that they are necessary!
He was very personal and professional at the same time. He never made me feel like my specific issues didn't matter or were "just a number".
The nursing staff are wonderful! They are so compassionate and patient. They are also very knowledgeable and can explain rationale over again if need be.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic in Asheville is smaller, but nice! They are unable to do some procedures at this clinic and therefore offer those procedures in either the hospital near by (which is way more expensive) or in their Greenville/Spartanburg office which is a little drive away. Also, Dr. Nichols travels between the offices and is currently only at the Asheville clinic on Wednesdays.
Unfortunately my insurance did not cover any costs at PREG, however my husbands insurance covered some of the appointments/treatments/ultrasounds. Otherwise, we would have paid $400+ a visit.
2012 - 2014
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
When my transfer was unable to happen due to hyper stimulation- I produced 40 follicles- Dr. Nichols was very kind and compassionate. He was very sympathetic and I felt as though he was disappointed with me.... Dr. Nicholas was the main reason I stayed at PREG. I felt as though he was extremely knowledgeable and compassionate. He presented all the information to be with clear and kind language. He also fought for us when insurance denied our claim for embryo transfer.
2012 - 2014
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Nichols will be there for you every step of the way.
After 3 failed IUI cycles, we decided to try IVF. We used a regular dose of fertility medications since it was my first time. Unfortunately I hyper stimulated and produced too many follicles.
Some nurses were wonderful, but others I felt very rushed, as if I was not important.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I had a successful pregnancy so I can say that is a strength. However, several nurses were not very friendly. The financial department over charged me for my embryo transfer, even after insurance had paid them. If I had not sat down and gone through every charge line by line, they never would have found the error. My cost went from $6,000 down to $1,000 because of this error. It was very frustrating and disappointing. I felt as though they would have taken my money and not thought anything of it.
I paid approximately $10,000 and my insurance DID cover IVF.

2013 - 2019
He [Dr. Nichols] was very understanding, honest about my diagnosis and honest about hour chances. Alwasys supportive and considerate of our needs. ... Initially we failed our first IVF and I was devastated. ... Dr. Nicholes adjusted my medications and watched me very closely. ... My second IVF resulted in my son who is now 5, my 3rd IVF resulted in my daughter who is 3 and now we are trying to get our 3rd child.
2013 - 2019
He was very understanding, honest about my diagnosis and honest about hour chances. Alwasys supportive and considerate of our needs. He always gave us a lot of options. Initially we failed our first IVF and I was devastated. My husband was very adiment that we used our own DNA. Dr. Nicholes adjusted my medications and watched me very closely. He offered support. My second IVF resulted in my son who is now 5, my 3rd IVF resulted in my daughter who is 3 and now we are trying to get our 3rd child.
He is very upfront be prepared!
He was so kind, upfront and always honest. Spent time with me and did not seem in a rush.
I don’t recall specifics as it has been a few years.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie )
She was very busy and she did the best when my scans did not show a lot of eggs/follicles to lighten the blow. She had a hard time drawing my blood a few times.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Love them!!!! Especially Heather the embryologist. Happy staff. They always answered the phone promptly and called back promptly. Communicated well via email. Always had options for support ie: financial lady, nursing. Staff was always willing to get me seen as fast as possible. Even the on call staff was helpful. They were always smiling even when they had to work the weekends!
$60k
Greenville

He [Dr. Nichols] explained everything in detail made me feel like I was a student really. He used diagrams and used pictures...He was a great doctor made me feel comfortable...My experience was like none of the rest prior to him. I feel like I finally recieved answers. Wasnt really getting answers up until I saw him. He was very compassionate and really seemed like he wanted to help me. He gave me hope...a ton of blood work and a sono done.
He was a great doctor made me feel comfortable and explained things in great detail. My experience was like none of the rest prior to him. I feel like I finally recieved answers. Wasnt really getting answers up until I saw him. He was very compassionate and really seemed like he wanted to help me. He gave me hope
Ask questions when your lost or confused he is there not only to talk but also to listen.
He explained everything in detail made me feel like I was a student really. He used diagrams and used pictures.
I dont remember much but have a ton of blood work and a sono done.
They were ok. The nurse I had seemed nervous. She was always smiling and was very nice overall
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Appointments wasnt always clear. Sometimes they weren't on the same page. I was told that my partner needed to bring sperm at least 1 hour within time of deposit. Wasnt told he needed an appointment same day nor were we told it was going to cost 150.00. That was a complete waste of time and they wasnt very nice about it.
Columbia

Dr Nichols was very helpful. He made sure my husband and myself understood my condition. His first priority is my health first. He wants to make sure I’m healed and healthy.... He explained each test. Once all the test were completed he explained our next procedure. He was very honest and open with me. My results from my test showed I had a lot of scar tissue. He performed surgery and it went well. He was very informative. He went over every detail with us. I trust him and I would recommend him to all my friends and family. We are still working on our plan but I trust that he will help us become parents again.
My first visit was a consultation. He asked basic information and went over my health history. He let me know what test needed to be done and when. He explained each test. Once all the test were completed he explained our next procedure. He was very honest and open with me. My results from my test showed I had a lot of scar tissue. He performed surgery and it went well. He was very informative. He went over every detail with us. I trust him and I would recommend him to all my friends and family. We are still working on our plan but I trust that he will help us become parents again.
Trust him. He is very good and knows his work
Very friendly. Anytime I call they are so helpful.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
My first appointment with them they provided me with all the paper work before I arrived. I never had to wait long. They are always nice and organized. Anytime I call they are always pleasant. If i have to leave a message they always get back to me within the same day.
They were very helpful. I always knew how much to expect when I had an appointment.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
My doctor [Dr. John Nichols] was very direct and to the point. He did explain our future needs or possible paths needed (IVF). He was very familiar with all my losses and record information. Each visit was relatively short and to the point, but very informative.... I was forst put on chlomid and had a allergic reaction. I was later put on Letrizol for 3 more consecutive months. I cannot remember the dosage but for cycle days 3-7. All cycles we're evaluated and none were a result in pregnancy. We attempted to concieve naturally with help of Letrizol.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
My doctor was very direct and to the point. He did explain our future needs or possible paths needed (IVF). He was very familiar with all my losses and record information. Each visit was relatively short and to the point, but very informative.
Do your research and know/learn your body and cycles.
Staff was always friendly and available. They listened when needed and gave many hugs!!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Karen, Heather)
Very compassionate, informative, and easy to talk too.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Staff friendly, clean environment. Wish had further testing ? Checked hormones? Or had answered to my fertility issues. I'm sure age but wish was more I could have done. A way to increase my progesterone levels, hormone balance etc... I was told to go straight to IVF...
My cost were affordable after insurance. My main cost were for blood work, ultrasounds, medication, office visit. I simply can't afford needed IVF.
Asheville

He explains well the possible procedures and steps. However, sometimes, the conversation was not enough to fully understand. That is why I met nurses after I met Dr. Nichols. I hope that he could give a little bit more time to patients. ... He showed a pregnancy rate based on different procedures, that was very helpful. He has several copies of information about each procedure, that was easy to understand.
He explains well the possible procedures and steps. However, sometimes, the conversation was not enough to fully understand. That is why I met nurses after I met Dr. Nichols. I hope that he could give a little bit more time to patients. Thank you!
Katy/Katie in Greenville helped me. She had my first IUI procedure. She was very knowledgeable and excellent to provide the procedure.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: quiet, staff are very kind, comfortable, good location Weakness: hard to reach out nurses/need to leave a voice message to nurse every time, I hope that they have an assigned primary nurse to patients so everytime, I do not need to explain my condition/procedures to nurses
$200 for ovulation mediations/ultrasonogram/LH hormone test $400 for IUI: ovulation mediations/ultrasonogram/LH hormone test/ pregnancy test every a few days for 4 times
Greenville

I truely felt like he [Dr. Nichols] cared about our situation even though I know he has a lot of patients he sees everyday. I felt like he was going to do everything possible to help us grow our family. He did a good job answering our questions and explaining different options.... His bed side manor was excellent and even though I know he deals with couples trying to grow their families on a daily basis I still felt he cared about my husband and I and not just another patient.
I truely felt like he cared about our situation even though I know he has a lot of patients he sees everyday. I felt like he was going to do everything possible to help us grow our family. He did a good job answering our questions and explaining different options.
Schedule a consultation appointment ASAP.
Personal consultation and follow up visits. His bed side manor was excellent and even though I know he deals with couples trying to grow their families on a daily basis I still felt he cared about my husband and I and not just another patient.
Started out with injections (3 cycles) and due to age and time and insurance and our infertility diagnosis we are moving towards IVF.
Upbeat, friendly and very knowledgeable
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The Wait time for each visit has been very short and appointment availability has been great. I would recommend anyone and call for a consultation appointment ASAP. I will be able to give more information once we start and go through our IVF cycle.
Consultation appointment cost, day 12 follicle scan, follow up blood work, X-ray scan

Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Nichols was very easy to understand. I felt confident with the answers he provided. He seemed showed pictures and explained everything on my level of understanding. Even though were were still unsuccessful in getting pregnant, I feel as if Dr. Nichols did everything he could to get us to the next level....I remember taking Fermera and ovidrel shots for 3 cycles. My dosage was increased once and my body reacted positively to the 2nd dosage so we stayed there.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Don't expect him to be able to change the world. As any doctor, he does the best of his ability to get you where you want to be with fertility.
I remember taking Fermera and ovidrel shots for 3 cycles. My dosage was increased once and my body reacted positively to the 2nd dosage so we stayed there. After 2 rounds of the increased dosage, my husband and I were still unsuccessful.
The nursing staff was amazing. With each visit they seemed very concerned with my well being and were all very comforting.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Everything was great. I had a great experience with this clinic. The staff was amazing and very informative. I do not have any complaints. As a patient that still left without a pregnancy, I would definitely recommend this clinic to someone else.
John Nichols

Dr. Nichols doesn’t go out of his way to sympathize with you, but when you are in pain he knows how to comfort you. He talks very quickly and doesn’t give you any time to see if you have any questions or to let you think about your questions. He is friendly. ... I understand they [PREG] have a job to do and plenty of patients to see, but you should also treat those paying patients better as a human.
Write down information he gives you because he may not go over it again
I did feel like a human some of the time, but more times than not I felt like a number. They get you out of there quickly, he talks very fast, and they aren’t there to sympathize with you. I understand they have a job to do and plenty of patients to see, but you should also treat those paying patients better as a human.
Not sure
The nursing staff does a good job, but no compassion it seems. Not very good bedside manner. There is only one nurse I would want to see 100% of the time.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Weakness would be the financial side. My husband and I were told that we would sit down with a financial coordinator to discuss finances, but instead they did it at the front desk during checkout. Very impersonal. Didn’t really understand everything. Strength is that the staff is pretty friendly and it seems very clean and organized.
HSG test about $600 but my insurance did not help with infertility coverage.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
He [Dr. Nichols] presented information in a nice but professional way. He reviewed results with us so we could understand them. He also presented us with different treatment options and the pros and cons of each. He also would ask us at each visit if we had any questions regarding our care...We tried using letrozole with IUI for our first cycle which was not successful. We then tried letrozole only and did become pregnant but miscarried at 7.5 weeks. Currently, we are taking things slowly.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
He presented information in a nice but professional way. He reviewed results with us so we could understand them. He also presented us with different treatment options and the pros and cons of each. He also would ask us at each visit if we had any questions regarding our care.
Ask questions if you don't understand something.
He took the time to discuss our diagnosis and possible options for treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Mikayla)
Mikayla was very helpful through the process. I felt like I could ask her anything if I didn't know the answer.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are receptive and typically you will receive a call back in a timely manner. They also present you with financial information at your first visit which is very helpful. My only critique is that I called to learn the results of my HCG test and was told by one staff member that I would likely miscarry or have an ectopic pregnancy. Another staff member told me that this was a possibility but everything may be fine.
IUI was $695.00. Trigger injection was $100.00. Letrozole was $4.00 per cycle.
Asheville

Dr Nichols took the time to explain what the diagnosis was and what our options were. He started with the easiest and cheaper treatment options and was very positive that we would be successful. We felt we could discuss anything with him and that he was extremely understanding. ... We used Femara 50 mg on days 3-7 of our cycle. Then ovulation predictor kits to track ovulation along with blood work and an ultrasound. On day 12 we took an hcg shot.
Go in for a consultation. Listen to the options and make an informed decision about treatment. He will not steer you wrong!
The care was personalized and he was compassionate
Describe the protocols John Nichols used in yo