Available by cell phone
(864)-232-7734
1330 Boiling Springs Rd.
Spartanburg, SC 29303
(864)-583-2669
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend John Nichols to a friend?

5.9

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group to a friend?
He [Dr. Nichols] was prepared with all of my information prior to our appointment. He showed concern and sensitivity to my emotions and went over all of my options...supportive to the fact that I wanted to keep trying a few more rounds of IUI because it is covered by our insurance, but IVF is not covered. He explained in detail the IVF process and patiently answered my questions...performed my HSG test and had a calm/warm personality, which helped to calm me.
Didn't hear back from one of the doctors [at PREG] for over 2 days when waiting for instructions on what to do for my next cycle. Strengths: Almost always able to get in touch with someone on the phone, well trained sensitive/compassionate nursing staff, the 2nd doctor I saw was great, most of the secretaries are friendly and helpful, letting me schedule my IUI in advance to try and work around my work schedule
How was your experience with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
He performed my HSG test and had a calm/warm personality, which helped to calm me. For our consultation appointment to go over next steps, after 3 cycles with meds and timed intercourse and 2 IUI's, he was prepared with all of my previous treatment history and had already printed out information and stats IVF and how it would work for me. He was sensitive and supportive to the fact that I wanted to keep trying a few more rounds of IUI because it is covered by our insurance, but IVF is not covered. He explained in detail the IVF process and patiently answered my questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
He was prepared with all of my information prior to our appointment. He showed concern and sensitivity to my emotions and went over all of my options.
The two main nurses I've worked with were helpful and compassionate. One was more calm and seemed more caring than the other (but, it was probably a personality preference). Unfortunately, at our first IUI they were short staffed and someone who was filling in at the lab copied my husbands name wrong and wrote the wrong name on his sperm sample. It made for a pretty stressful and upsetting procedure, especially since it was our first time doing an IUI. The next two IUI's went really well and the calmer nurse did them. Overall, I think the nursing staff is sensitive and compassionate and do a great job.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Weaknesses: Way too cold in the clinic (especially when you're having to get undressed for procedures), have had to wait over an hour for a consultation and an IUI, unfriendly secretary when I expressed my concern about wait time (but the other two were friendly!), short window of time to get blood-work done when they were training a new staff member, Didn't hear back from one of the doctors for over 2 days when waiting for instructions on what to do for my next cycle. Strengths: Almost always able to get in touch with someone on the phone, well trained sensitive/compassionate nursing staff, the 2nd doctor I saw was great, most of the secretaries are friendly and helpful, letting me schedule my IUI in advance to try and work around my work schedule

2017 - 2019
[Protocols with Dr. John Nichols] I tried about 3 TICs, 3 IUIs (only went through with 2 due to where the follicles were), 1 IVF (no transfer - all embryos died before freezing), and a laparoscopic surgery to look at Fallopian tubes... I wish he had suggested blood testing for genetic anomalies earlier without my having to bring it up late in the process...Unfortunately he couldn’t explain why all my embryos “fell apart” and I’m not sure if it’s because he truly did not know or if he didn’t feel like he had the time to look into it further.
Some of them [nurses at PREG] were helpful and informative, especially during TIC and IUI attempts. The main nurse assigned for IVF (Lynne) could be nice at times but mostly I found her to lack compassion and felt like she talked down to me. She seemed to be annoyed with her job and got tired of repeating herself, forgetting or not caring that I was in a stressful switching and trying something (IVF) I had never experienced before.
2017 - 2019
European, Latino
Dr. Nichols (when he was around) explained things very clearly and plainly throughout the TIC, IUI, and IVF process. Unfortunately he couldn’t explain why all my embryos “fell apart” and I’m not sure if it’s because he truly did not know or if he didn’t feel like he had the time to look into it further. Or perhaps because I don’t have money he knew I couldn’t pay for more experimentation. He was wishy-washy about recommending a second try which is why I haven’t pursued anything else yet. I wish he had suggested blood testing for genetic anomalies earlier without my having to bring it up late in the process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
He speaks plainly.
For example, the day of egg retrieval it seemed as though they were herding a large number of women through the process like animals. There were probably 4-5 women in the same room at any time and they were herded in and out of the operating area. It felt very rushed and impersonal. I would have liked to have had more time to talk with the various people around about what was happening.
Describe the protocols John Nichols used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
I tried about 3 TICs, 3 IUIs (only went through with 2 due to where the follicles were), 1 IVF (no transfer - all embryos died before freezing), and a laparoscopic surgery to look at Fallopian tubes which resulted in “everything looks fine and now you owe 4K that your insurance doesn’t cover too bad we couldn’t tell you that ahead of time”.
Some of them were helpful and informative, especially during TIC and IUI attempts. The main nurse assigned for IVF (Lynne) could be nice at times but mostly I found her to lack compassion and felt like she talked down to me. She seemed to be annoyed with her job and got tired of repeating herself, forgetting or not caring that I was in a stressful switching and trying something (IVF) I had never experienced before.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They seem to run their schedule well. Most appointments were on time and lasted as expected. Weaknesses may be that a lot of the staff seemed annoyed or exhausted to be there which was challenging to deal with when I’m already facing depression about my infertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Drugs for TIC were fairly inexpensive due to insurance. IUI procedures were about 500 each, out of pocket. IVF including drugs was about 27,000 out of pocket. Got some refunded due to failure. Laparoscopic procedure was over 30,000 with most covered by insurance but about 4000 out of pocket.
Describe John Nichols's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
My doctor did not believe it was safe to transfer more than one embryo at a time and I believe he will not perform those procedures.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

hardly ever saw Dr. Nichols except for the consultations...I didn't feel warm or welcome from the start. Neither did my husband. We should have stopped there, but we continued on because we didn't think there was anyone else in the area to choose from (we used his office in Asheville, NC). Dr. Nichols did not ever follow up with us or make us feel valued. Again, we should have stopped before we started with him and his practice...
There were LOTS of problems with Dr. Nichols and his practice (PREG). We had issues with the following: billing (unclear and they even had a hard time explaining to us- - they seemed as confused as we were), insurance claims (would not communicate with our insurance company in a rapid manner - - took MONTHS to resolve an issues from nearly 6 months ago), nurses would sometimes call, but often NOT cal to inform us of what we needed to do when, hardly ever saw Dr. Nichols except for the consultations, I have an allergy to latex and nearly 80% of the time I would have to remind the staff of this before they went to do a check-up, procedure, etc. Overall, we (my husband and I ) felt the staff was only worried about the $ and not about the humans involved. I would NEVER recommend this practice to ANYONE! We were VERY dissatisfied and when letting them know this, they didn't seem to care - - no apologies or anything. Just "hate to hear that". FIND ANOTHER PRACTICE - - DO NOT USE PREG IN GREENVILLE, ASHEVILLE, SPARTANBURG, COLUMBIA, ETC.!!!
Go somewhere else - - anywhere else. Do not use John Nichols!
Because my husband I were both "normal" in ALL aspects, we started first with using Letrozole and then the timed Trigger shot. We did this three times with negative results. During this time, they found a polyp and removed that from my uterus. Then, we moved into IUI's, which we tried twice. I was having REALLY negative side effects from the drugs, and we weren't happy with PREG so we quit treatment until we could find another practice.
There was one nurse that was AWESOME, but I don't remember her name. She was the ONLY one that would call me back, seemed to GENUINELY care, and ALWAYS remembered my allergy to latex. The rest were VERY unimpressive.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Overall, it just wasn't the clinic for us. Again, I think if we had to do it all over again, we should have stopped before we began with them and gone somewhere else. Even when we quit treatment, we had to battle with them for MONTHS afterward due to billing issues.

PCOS, Unexplained
The nurses [at PREG-Asheville] were wonderful, but it carried from nurse to nurse on the timing they would suggest for injections or when to preform the iui. It seemed sometimes they were doing treatments prematurely... Weakness would be re-evaluating treatment. I would suggest asking lots and lots of questions. And question things you do not understand. Ask why medication can't isn't being increased. Ask for kab work to be redone if needed.
PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Nichols was nice at my consultation; however he did not spend a lot of time with me that day. Honestly he wanted to push IVF upfront since I had came from another doctor that did an iui already. It seemed he did not want me to try an iui. As stated before I only seem dr Nichols at my consultation as he primarily works out of the south Carolina office I was told and I went to the North Carolina office for my treatment. When the dosage of my fertility medication did not get results he didn't to my knowledge review and see if my dose needed to be increased to get better results. I was actually told on the days of my injections by the nurses that sometimes my follicles were on the small side, but they would go ahead and do my injections and have me come back for the iui. When I recieved my initial load result call from the nurse the only thing they found was low thyroid and low vitamin D. However after vitamin D supplements were started Dr Nichols never retested. As well I have had thyroid issues for 20 years. It seems to me that low thyroid could be a contributing factor in my infertility but they did not seem concerned about it.
Ask a lot of questions and ask for treatment to be re-evaluated through out the process. I literally felt like I flushed my money down the toilet
During my treatment I only saw Dr Nochols 1 time and that was during my consultation visit. After that I seen nurses on the practice. The nurses were wonderful, but I felt like when my treatment wasn't progressing that I should have seen face to face again with the doctor. So it felt like to me that I was just another number to him.
First 3 cycles were letrozole only 7.5 mg 3 more cycles letrozole 7.5 mg and injection shot Never once was it discussed to go up on the letrozole dose. Even though I was not getting pregnant
The nurses were wonderful, but it carried from nurse to nurse on the timing they would suggest for injections or when to preform the iui. It seemed sometimes they were doing treatments prematurely
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
My total costs were a lot out of pocket. A good guess of my costs for my treatment there would be $6,000

Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
As a patient the first round of IVF cycle I had different dr. for egg retreival, transfer and the ultrasounds [that Dr. John Nichols]. The 2nd time which I am still in the process of I have made sure to raise my questions and concerns and learning experiences from the first round to Dr. Nichols. I have ensured that all of the sessions in the second round has been performed by Dr. Nichols only. The second round so far has been less confusing since Dr. Nichols has explained the planning of egg retreival, but also added the ERA/biopsy testing this time.
[PREG- Greenville's] Strenghts: Caring staff understanding of patients needs responds to questions/concerns Weakness: Bedside care Always in a hurry The diffferent treatment plans for IVF can be very confusing.Doctor does not give any recommendation to these but rather you have to choose yourself.... 18,500 first IVF cycle 13,500 second IVF cycle Mock transfer costs routine costs during 2015-2017 Estimated total: $40,000 Total estimated:
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
As a patient the first round of IVF cycle I had different dr. for egg retreival, transfer and the ultrasounds. The 2nd time which I am still in the process of I have made sure to raise my questions and concerns and learning experiences from the first round to Dr. Nichols. I have ensured that all of the sessions in the second round has been performed by Dr. Nichols only. The second round so far has been less confusing since Dr. Nichols has explained the planning of egg retreival, but also added the ERA/biopsy testing this time.
Perhaps little bit more of followup. A phone call from one of his nurses or himself would be appreciated after egg retreival, ERA/Biopsy or even embryo transfer.
Dr. Nichols has always been very caring and listens to my concerns and answers the questions I may have.
Egg Retreival protocol: Start Birthcontrol pill: 6/26/2018 (last pill 7/10/2018) Ultrasound/Baseline lab 7/11/2018 Day 1-4 (7/13/2018-7/16/2018) Gonal F = 150 units HCG 15 units Keflex 500 MG (AM & PM) Asprin low dose once daily Day 5-10 (7/17/2018 - 7/22/2018) Labs & Ultrasound on 7/17/2018 Gonal F = 225 units HCG 15 units Keflex 500 MG (AM & PM) Asprin low dose once daily Day 11 (7/23/2018) Lab & Ultrasound Gonal F = 150 units HCG 15 units Keflex 500 MG (AM & PM) Asprin low dose once daily 7/24/2018 Retreival Asprin low dose. No keflex 500 MG in the AM of retreival. ERA/Biopsy/Mock transfer protocol Start Bithcontrol and asprin on 8/6/2018 Last birthcontrol pill on 9/3/2018 Lab & Ultrasound 9/4/2018 Day 1-2 (9/6/2018-9/7/2018 1 - Estradiol 1 mg tablet AM/PM Asprin low dose Day 3-4 (9/8/2018-9/9/2018 2 - Estradiol 1 mg tablet AM/PM Asprin low dose Day 5-19 (9/10/2018-9/24/2018 3 - Estradiol 1 mg tablet AM/PM 1 Estradiol 1 mg tablet vaginally at night Day 15-24 (9/20/2018-9/25/2018 Progesterone in oil 100mg/cc (3/4 cc = 75 mg) IM AM Biopsy/Mock transfer/ERA done on 9/25/2018 Asprin low dose
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Polowczuk (IVF cord.))
excellent staff. very caring and also understanding. However, bedside care should be little better after egg retreival, mock transfer and embryo transfer. A phonecall the day after would be appreciated.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
N/A have not reached to that point yet.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Nichols; when we first met I felt confident that we would be able to move forward and although I was just turned 45yr, that there was still hope for my fertility and that under his care we could turn a small percent into a true pregnancy. Since then I've read many things and in realization that some things could of been done to help me more efficiently. I have felt disappointed and let down.... Protocols were same with each IUI. I have only done one IVF and one Mock cycle to fine tune the pill and shot amounts.
The staff [at PREG] for appointments are great. I never felt forgotten. They got back to me in a timely manner so i could be on time for whatever was needed. Weaknesses would be that for my IUI and IVF cycle I had too many questions after going home as to why some things weren't checked. Another important matter is what we put in our bodies. There is no information other than online searching that fertility is tied to what supplements we take and food or bad food we eat.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Ask for ultrasound to look for polyps before anything else. Ask to have husband tested before the day of IUI transfer.
Treatment was fine. I am aware that there are procedure that are followed in an elimination manner, however I feel that for my age I should of been tested for some things before my first IUI such as the HSG to see if my tubes were open. This was only done at my request after the #3 IUI's. Secondly, while I was having ultrasound before my first IUI set for few days later, the nurse said she thought she saw a possible polyp. That being my first visit I didn't know that polyps were a cause of failed IUI. My cycle should of been postponed till after the surgery. The office doesn't always follow through with making me aware of the next step and I have felt like I'm always chasing answers or requesting them to do extra measures that are being overlooked.
The details for these things have changed each time as per milligrams and pill choices for fertility. Protocols were same with each IUI. I have only done one IVF and one Mock cycle to fine tune the pill and shot amounts. I also wish that I had been given a choice when it came to LUPRON injections or at least a pamphlet about the detreimental side effects before being prescribed for treatment.
The nursing staff is great. I feel as women they understand the hopes of each visit. Compassion and understanding. I was always asked, are you doing ok when undergoing ultrasound.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff for appointments are great. I never felt forgotten. They got back to me in a timely manner so i could be on time for whatever was needed. Weaknesses would be that for my IUI and IVF cycle I had too many questions after going home as to why some things weren't checked. Another important matter is what we put in our bodies. There is no information other than online searching that fertility is tied to what supplements we take and food or bad food we eat.
From my reading and comparing online prices and asking other women from other clinics, the pricing associated with PREG is mostly fair and cheaper than other states. I understand these are not cheap procedures, but some do feel higher than others. However my options are limited going anywhere else due to my age. I have one embryo left with Preg clinic and hope that it results in positive pregnancy. Im meant to start soon with next cycle and will have to request a sonogram to check for polyps.
There was no option for this with me. We purchased 6 donor eggs and only 2 viable embryos were created. The wise choice is to do one transfer to have two possibilities.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Nichols is extremely knowledgeable and very good at explaining what I needed him to explain...Don't expect any beating around the bush...We first tried ovulation inducing pills for a few cycles which did not help. He then recommended either IUI or IVF but the clinic was offering a new procedure called Simply IVF that we decided to try. We had to increase my Menopur dosage a couple times. Unfortunately I did not react well enough to the Menopur and we had to cancel that cycle
I just love this clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] and believe they're so good at what they do. I was concerned when starting this journey that there may be clinics that just recommended the highest cost procedures or treated their patients cold at such a difficult time but I found the exact opposite with this clinic. I hope that one day we'll be able to send them a picture of our baby to hang on their bulletin boards!
Dr. Nichols is extremely knowledgeable and very good at explaining what I needed him to explain. I like that he is very straightforward but still shows empathy when called for. If there is a patient that is highly prone to getting their feelings hurt when told they should or should not pursue certain treatments then I may not recommend Dr. Nichols but if the patient strictly wants a doctor that will do their best to give them the results they want then I would highly recommend Dr. Nichols.
Even if he's giving you information you may not want to hear, he only gives you that information because he feels it will help you in achieving pregnancy. Don't expect any beating around the bush.
He is very, very helpful and knowledgeable about everything I needed to know but was not at all afraid to be blunt if he felt the situation called for it (which it sometimes did).
We first tried ovulation inducing pills for a few cycles which did not help. He then recommended either IUI or IVF but the clinic was offering a new procedure called Simply IVF that we decided to try. We had to increase my Menopur dosage a couple times. Unfortunately I did not react well enough to the Menopur and we had to cancel that cycle. Dr. Nichols recommended then trying regular IVF so that I could be more closely monitored throughout my cycle but my husband and I wanted to try one more round of the Simply IVF instead due to costs. We did the same procedure one more time with a higher dosage of Menopur starting out and I still was not reacting as quickly as we hoped and we increased my dosage even more as we neared ovulation. We only got a couple follicles near the correct size, retrieved one egg, did IPSI and unfortunately that egg did not fertilize.
They were all SO kind and helpful with any questions or concerns I had. They always treated me like a friend and not just like a patient.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I just love this clinic and believe they're so good at what they do. I was concerned when starting this journey that there may be clinics that just recommended the highest cost procedures or treated their patients cold at such a difficult time but I found the exact opposite with this clinic. I hope that one day we'll be able to send them a picture of our baby to hang on their bulletin boards!
Simply IVF: $6000 Simply IVF Medications: $2000-$3000 each cycle, but I needed much more Menopur than most women do Femara: Covered by Insurance Birth Control Pills (to regulate before IVF): covered by insurance Consultations: $180 HCG: $500 Polyp Removals: I don't remember how much the first polyp removal was but the second polyp was removed during my egg retrieval so it was not an extra charge ICSI was also done at no charge because they were only able to retrieve one egg and they wanted to give it the best chance for fertilization.
We never got the opportunity to transfer any embryos but Dr. Nichols does highly recommend, depending on the age and health of the patient, doing single embryo transfer.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Nichols is a very good communicator and listener he also shows compassion. While going over my husbands semen analysis test with us (which was not good) he explained all our options and the different steps he would like to do to try and help us be able to conceive using my husbands sperm. Instead of just going straight to donor sperm he is trying to do what he can so we can avoid donor. He didn't give up on us and that means so much!! He knows its important to us to be able to use my husbands sperm so he is going to let him do hcg shots to see if that can improve his count. I do not have anything bad to say about Dr.Nichols because he has always been excellent every time we've seen him.
I love that the nurses [at PREG] dont treat you like you're just another patient that they're seeing. They treat you like family and it makes the stress of the situation not feel so bad. When we go 90% of the nurses have smiles on their faces. The only negative thing I could say is that a few of the nurses that check you out could be a little more friendly and welcoming.
Be straight forward with what you want and he will do everything he can to make that happen.
Dr.Nichols plus his staff are absolutely amazing! They never rush us during our appointments and always make sure they answer any questions we have. They remember who we are and call us by name when they see us. I couldn't ask for a better place to go to help my husband and I during this stressful time.
I love that the nurses dont treat you like you're just another patient that they're seeing. They treat you like family and it makes the stress of the situation not feel so bad. When we go 90% of the nurses have smiles on their faces. The only negative thing I could say is that a few of the nurses that check you out could be a little more friendly and welcoming.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff is very nice and understanding. The office and the rooms are always clean and the waiting room always smells good. It is a easy location to get to and the suite is easy to find also. Im always taken back to be seen in less than 10 minutes.
So far with my treatment its basically been blood work which runs me around $300. I had to have a ultra sound and dye ran into my uterus which I paid out of pocket $750. I had to have a polyp removed in the Greenville office and that was $475. The HCG shots my husband is going to start taking is going to be $320 a month.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Nichols made me feel excited about our plan with real expectations. He gives the facts and does what is best for our journey. He really does what he can to help in anyway. Although our first cycle was not a success, I would not prefer anyone else to handle my care. He is a great doctor with an abundance of knowledge and I would recommend him to everyone.... Our first cycle with Dr. Nichols was a fairly new process called simply ivf.
PREG is always prompt with appointments and emailing or calling back. I never had to wait! I was able to work with my schedule for appointment times. Financial department was very informative and helpful with everything. I cannot complain about this clinic.... All of the nurses were great throughout the process. Several were in charge of my care but felt I comfortable with all. They were compassionate and helpful with any questions.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Don’t worry! Dr. Nichols will have your best interest at heart and will guide you through the process in the best way.
Dr.Nichols wanted what was best for my husband and I and still does. Looking at every number before the process starts allows him to alter the cycle based on our infertility.
Our first cycle with Dr. Nichols was a fairly new process called simply ivf. After looking at my prior history, recent blood work, ultrasound and my husbands history, semen analysis and blood work, he felt this was a good plan for us along with my own interest. The process is very controlled and monitored throughout with blood work and ultrasounds to make sure we are at an optimum for a retrieval. If my follicles were not at an optimum state for retrieval we kept going until they were with more days of medicine to get them there. We had a good number of mature eggs for retrieval however my husbands sperm were not able to fertilize my eggs properly making my number of embryos low. We transferred the one good embryo we had and ended with a chemical pregnancy. I agree with every decision made throughout the process and wouldn’t have changed the way the process went. If there is a failed treatment, the doctors come together to talk about a plan of action to get the best result moving forward. I agree with every decision and plan made for our journey.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Monitoring appointments worked perfect with my schedule and I have a full time job. I never had to wait. I never felt like I was rushed. Very efficient office.
Simply ivf cost a standard $5000 plus $1000-$2000 of medicine. That covered monitoring appointments, retrieval, transfer, freezing etc. Stephanie in the financial department was amazing with helping me understand and went above and beyond to break everything down. VERY HELPFUL!!!
Dr. Nichols does recommend a single embryo transfer is most cases, however will consider all things to allow he best option for the best outcome. I agree with his approach.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Nichols is very good at relating your individual condition with statics. He has a neutral way of communicating and helping one understand their condition what could take place after treatment begins....Be prepared for no nonsense and no sugar coated communication. Dr. Nichols will guide you through everything, but you have to be willing to let him do so....Dr. Nichols can be blunt at times, but you know he is only trying to convey all of the possible outcomes-- the good, the bad and the ugly.
The clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] as a whole is 100% spot on. Every employee is very friendly and prepared for you when you come in. I always follow up to make sure that things have been followed through with, i.e. payments documented, appts scheduled, etc., but I really feel they don't need any checking up on!... Each and every person that we have come in contact with from the front desk staff to Dr. Nichols himself have been wonderful! It's a warm and inviting atmosphere, and that is so very important when you are going through somethings so emotionally and physically involved.
Dr. Nichols can be blunt at times, but you know he is only trying to convey all of the possible outcomes-- the good, the bad and the ugly. We all know that IVF has all of the above!! At one time, Dr. Nichols was especially compassionate when I broke down while talking about having to ask another woman to carry my child. I always look forward to my visits because I feel I am being treated and cared for by a very knowledgeable doctor.
Dr. Nichols is very good at relating your individual condition with statics. He has a neutral way of communicating and helping one understand their condition what could take place after treatment begins. He is stern but caring, and you know when you leave that he knew exactly which patient he was working with and has a plan for you as an individual/couple.
I will be taking birth control to start followed by Menopur and Lupron. I have not actually started the meds yet so I feel I cannot give much insight on this at this time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey Forbes)
The staff at PREG are amazing!! That may sound cliche, but the first RE's office we visited could not hold a candle to them! We love going to our appointments because they are prepared for us. They have our files out ready and waiting for when we walk in the door! Each and every person that we have come in contact with from the front desk staff to Dr. Nichols himself have been wonderful! It's a warm and inviting atmosphere, and that is so very important when you are going through somethings so emotionally and physically involved.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic as a whole is 100% spot on. Every employee is very friendly and prepared for you when you come in. I always follow up to make sure that things have been followed through with, i.e. payments documented, appts scheduled, etc., but I really feel they don't need any checking up on! They're really great!
We are using the Simply IVF method, and I know the promotional rate that we were given is no longer available, but it is still just have the cost of traditional IVF-- between 5,000 and 6,000. Of course, we will have to use our gestational carrier for the transfer, and this will be an additional $8000 plus her medications.
This office does allow you to chose whether you want to implant one or two embryos-- not more than two, but they do recommend only transferring one.
+ Read more- Read less

Be prepared to receive news in a “tell it like it is” manner. There’s no sugar coating or interest in getting to know you as a person. He [Dr. Nichols] seems to want to get you in and then out and on to the next patient...The only thing we discussed on the consultation appointment is that I needed to come back and get Cycle day 3 blood work done to make some determinations...The doctors bedside manner needs work. He seemed very rushed and a little disorganized. He could have been a bit more gentle with his delivery of words. He did not seem terribly concerned with me as a patient.
They [nurses at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] were friendly and seemed caring, although they seemed VERY disorganized. They would call me to come back, then send me back to the front again while they sorted out a few things. It’s unprofessional and embarrassing really, seeing a staff being disorganized...It’s very clean looking and visually appealing on the inside on the front end. From the outside, it looks like an old Rite Aid or CVS converted into a clinic. The front end staff was very friendly and caring. The nurse who took my vitals was very loud and does not respect patient privacy.
The doctor did not seem very concerned about me as a patient. He does not have a gentle manner with the way he communicates. I can say he was definitely a straight-shooter with what he had to tell me as far as my chances being lower of becoming pregnant due to age. I did appreciate him being candid and honest, but I feel a doctor should always be compassionate and show a genuine caring interest in his patients.
Be prepared to receive news in a “tell it like it is” manner. There’s no sugar coating or interest in getting to know you as a person. He seems to want to get you in and then out and on to the next patient.
They were friendly and seemed caring, although they seemed VERY disorganized. They would call me to come back, then send me back to the front again while they sorted out a few things. It’s unprofessional and embarrassing really, seeing a staff being disorganized.
+ Read more- Read less
Before even doing any testing infertility testing [Dr. Nichols] said we should skip right to embryo donation. Without knowing any of my history, I felt like skipping straight to embryo donation would help his clinics numbers rather than actually trying to help my husband and me conceive...creates the treatment plan, but any doctor performs the treatment. It’s the luck of the draw on who you get. He only treated us for one IUI. I hardly saw him at all during our IVF. He was blunt and to the point with treatment options, which is what I initially thought I wanted, however this process is emotional and he comes off very cold after failures, which wasn’t encouraging for us.
I just wasn’t kept in the loop on any of my bloodwork results [at PREG]. I never got far enough along for them to have to call me for a pregnancy result, but I’m sure if I had gotten pregnant with them, I would have. One doctor would tell me one thing, the other doctor another. It already makes a very emotional time, no need to add more confusion or hurt on the patient... expect to pay anywhere from $2-3k for testing, $1k per IUI and $12-15k for IVF (including drugs)
Nichols creates the treatment plan, but any doctor performs the treatment. It’s the luck of the draw on who you get. He only treated us for one IUI. I hardly saw him at all during our IVF. He was blunt and to the point with treatment options, which is what I initially thought I wanted, however this process is emotional and he comes off very cold after failures, which wasn’t encouraging for us.
Be prepared, he’s not warm and fuzzy
Before even doing any testing infertility testing Nichols said we should skip right to embryo donation. Without knowing any of my history, I felt like skipping straight to embryo donation would help his clinics numbers rather than actually trying to help my husband and me conceive.
Initially he starts you on the lowest dosages and then works his way up. After 3 cycles if the protocol doesn’t work, he changes the protocol for the next 3 in relations to IUIs. For IVF he had me on Menopur and Lupron.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Polowczuk & Lynn Fowler)
The entire nursing staff was fantastic, couldn’t praise them more
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinics strengths would be the fantastic nursing staff. They are compassionate and really care about you, from your first experience until your last. I’ve had one really great doctor there and two not so great doctors in terms of bedside manner. As far as the doctors keeping you in the loop on your numbers (AMH, FSH, TSH, etc), they don’t tell you unless you ask. Front desk is nice, keep in mind they are very busy when you try to schedule appointments via phone, so have patience with them.
No insurance coverage, expect to pay anywhere from $2-3k for testing, $1k per IUI and $12-15k for IVF (including drugs)
He does it based on age, 30 and younger he only likes to transfer one and for 30 and above he will do 2.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Nichols was straightforward with us, gave us the facts and our options, and the likelihood of those options working. He never made us feel rushed during our appointments and explained everything thoroughly. We felt very lucky to have had him as our doctor. ... . Once it was time to decide on a course of action, he clearly laid out our different options and the success rates of each of those options.
Kelsey was amazing. She’s the kind of nurse I always wish to have. She answered all of our questions, never left us waiting during our appointmentments, and was always super friendly. ... The [PREG] clinic in Asheville was small, though I think they moved locations since we last went. It was always clean and the staff friendly. We never had to wait long for our appointments and any questions we thought of after leaving were answered promptly by phone or email.
Dr Nichols explained the results of all of our testing thoroughly and in ways we could clearly understand. Once it was time to decide on a course of action, he clearly laid out our different options and the success rates of each of those options. When our first embryo transfer failed he gave us a few options moving forward and didn’t push us to go a specific way, he just laid out the options and left it up to us to decide. Our second transfer was successful and we now have a beautiful baby boy.
Ask a lot of questions and trust in his medical expertise.
We didn’t do a fresh transfer because we wanted to do genetic testing on our embryos. After testing we were left with 7 frozen embryos. Our first cycle I was on 7 estrogen pills a day, 6 oral and 1 vaginal, and .5cc of PIO. That cycle failed even though my lining and hormone levels were all excellent. The second FET cycle we did Dr Nichols advised us to do a scraping of the uterine lining to promote new cell growth so we did that. My progesterone was a little low so in addition to the 7 estrogen pills a day, he upped my PIO dosage to 1cc and I was also on a progesterone suppository. That cycle resulted in a live birth.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic in Asheville was small, though I think they moved locations since we last went. It was always clean and the staff friendly. We never had to wait long for our appointments and any questions we thought of after leaving were answered promptly by phone or email.
Egg retrieval through the first pregnancy test was around $15,000. The second FET was $3000 not including the cost of medications. We paid for everything out of pocket.
Dr Nichols advised us to transfer one embryo at a time. My only issue was tubal blockage so he seemed pretty confident that we wouldn’t have any issues getting pregnant by FET. He advised that transferring multiple embryos could result in a multiple birth which is higher risk. We opted to only do a single embryo for each transfer because of his advice.
+ Read more- Read less

I wanted tubal reversal, and thought maybe we were going that route. But by my next visit, he [Dr. John Nichols] strongly suggested IVF. I wish he would have elaborated more on why he didn't want to do a tubal reversal on me. It is like everything shifted, on my next visit. I know it was a few months after my initial work up, but I felt & still feel like I still have a chance with tubal reversal. He was excellent with my ultrasound though. He also explains things very well despite his being blunt. I can deal with that.
[PREG- Greenville's] Strengths: Courteous, calm, professional, they followed up with any requests I had. I met with a lady in the back (I cannot remember her name at present), but she was very understanding and told us about options as far as payment plans/options. She also shared with us that she had IVF. She went into detail about how sometimes the hormones have certain side effects, but it was well worth it bc she has her child now.
I wanted tubal reversal, and thought maybe we were going that route. But by my next visit, he strongly suggested IVF. I wish he would have elaborated more on why he didn't want to do a tubal reversal on me. It is like everything shifted, on my next visit. I know it was a few months after my initial work up, but I felt & still feel like I still have a chance with tubal reversal. He was excellent with my ultrasound though. He also explains things very well despite his being blunt. I can deal with that.
Know that he is smart, yet blunt. My only hang up is that he just didn't want to really hear about doing a tubal reversal by the second visit with me. My situation was a little different. My husband (fiancé at the time) was working in Maryland, and we didn't want to actually do a lot until he moved to SC. But by this time, like I mentioned earlier, Dr. Nichols didn't want to do a tubal reversal on me.
For the most part, I felt like a human. He is, however, very blunt.
I didn't make it to any treatments. I only had an ultrasound. He was excellent at the Ultrasound.
Everyone I came in contact with was extremely friendly and professional.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: Courteous, calm, professional, they followed up with any requests I had. I met with a lady in the back (I cannot remember her name at present), but she was very understanding and told us about options as far as payment plans/options. She also shared with us that she had IVF. She went into detail about how sometimes the hormones have certain side effects, but it was well worth it bc she has her child now. Weaknesses: None that I can think of at the moment.
Some of my labs and I think my ultrasound was covered under insurance. I believe everything else was out of pocket.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Nichols was very honest and very caring during my treatments. With Diminished Ovarian Reserve the prognosis of having a baby was slim. Dr. Nichols allowed me to choose to continue the IVF, even though he thought our chances were only 10%. He not only helped create one baby - but twins with one egg!!... Dr. Nichols is a very knowledgeable and compassionate doctor of infertility. He thoroughly explained my situation and grim outlook on becoming pregnant. However, grim the outlook- Dr. Nichols allowed us to try IVF to conceive.
The clinic [Piedmont Reproduction Endocrinology Group] is very together. They handled all my needs effectively and efficiently. T Staff was very friendly. The clinic has all the necessary lab equipment there, so you didn't have to go other places to get labs done. They were even there on Saturdays and Sundays if needed.... The nursing staff was excellent, caring and compassionate.... Cost was reasonable. Medication, which they have not control over, was very expensive.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Nichols is a very knowledgeable and compassionate doctor of infertility. He thoroughly explained my situation and grim outlook on becoming pregnant. However, grim the outlook- Dr. Nichols allowed us to try IVF to conceive. I have DOR and only produced 6 eggs the last cycle. 3 were retrieved and one was transferred. We ended up pregnant with twins. I am so grateful that Dr. Nichols allowed us the opportunity to help in the decision to try to conceive. He was very straight-forward in my diagnosis and prognosis. Yet when we decided to try, he did everything in his power to help us be successful in becoming pregnant.
Trust him. He knows what he is doing.
My treatment strategies were IVF without birth control for stimulation because of DOR. unfortunately don't remember the medicines used.
The nursing staff was excellent, caring and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is very together. They handled all my needs effectively and efficiently. T Staff was very friendly. The clinic has all the necessary lab equipment there, so you didn't have to go other places to get labs done. They were even there on Saturdays and Sundays if needed.
Because we only harvested 3 eggs, and because of my DOR Dr. Nichols was open to transfer more embryos. Only one embryo made it to day 5 and was transferred.

3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Nichols has been a great doctor. I was previously at another clinic and one of the first things I noticed here is that I actually get to see my assigned doctor quite a bit. I feel he is familiar with my situation. He takes time to answer all of my questions and even came in on a day he was not scheduled to work to perform an unexpected surgery. He is open to hearing my suggestions and feedback as well.
I cannot say enough good things about the staff at PREG. From my very first phone call inquiring about the practice, to now having gone through a year of treatment, they have been an absolute blessing. The staff at my previous clinic were cold and robotic, and nothing could be further from the truth here. I love that I have the ability to reach my nurse via phone at most times without having to leave a message and wait for a call back. Emails are returned promptly. Scheduling is easy as my nurse is able to do that as well. The nursing staff that draws blood and the nurses who are in the room during ultrasounds, egg retrievals, and transfers are all so warm and caring. They actually know who I am and remember me when I come back in for my next visit. I drive out of state for treatment at PREG and the staff is definitely one of the reasons that it's worth it.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
You will get good medical care but you will also feel like you are more than a number, which is very important.
I had previously come from a large fertility center in Atlanta where I was just a number to most of the staff. Coming here, I felt that the clinic was small enough that everyone knew who I was. That includes everyone from front desk staff all the way up to my assigned doctor. I can get questions answered quickly because the staff is friendly and is familiar with me as a patient.
I first had an antagonist protocol using gonal-f and low dose HCG. I transferred 1 embryo fresh, it led to a chemical pregnancy. We PGS tested and transferred one of the tested embryos. That led to an ectopic pregnancy. We then went into our 2nd retrieval, again using an antagonist protocol with gonal-f and low dose HCG. This time at higher doses of gonal-f.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay)
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG is a smaller clinic. I personally have loved this because I get a lot of personalized attention and have easy access to my doctor and nurse. They also have great people on staff who are warm and caring. On the occasions when I don't see my doctor, I am typically seen by one of the other doctors (Dr. Payne). At my old clinic, it was not uncommon to just see a nurse or a nurse practitioner. I like that I am typically seen by a physician here. I also have to say that Dr. Payne is an amazing doctor as well and I feel just as comfortable with him as I do with Dr. Nichols.
the cost for IVF at PREG was significantly lower than at clinics in Atlanta
My doctor was willing to transfer more than one embryo, but suggested one, especially once we had PGS tested. My husband and I agreed with his recommendation.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Nichols wanted to hear what other doctors have done or not done then he explained to me the different options that he could do for me to help me achieve my goal of having a baby. Then he asked me were I felt comfortable starting and how many times we would like to try that option before deciding to move on to the next option.... I have PCOS so he started me on metformin I think 2,000 mg a day and Provera to help start my period and when I started my period I would call in and the nurse would call Clomid in to the pharmacy and tell me what day to take it and when to check for ovulation and when to come in for ultrasounds and when to have intercourse or when to come in for the IUI.
Everyone in both Preg offices are amazing and compassionate.... There offices are amazingly beautiful, clean and welcoming. I love seeing pictures on the walls of previous miracle babies conceived with help of the amazing staff at PREG. The rooms are nicer then most doctors office rooms they really try to make you as comfortable as possible.... The IUI I believe was $550 each try plus I paid $800 for donor sperm....
Dr. Nichols wanted to hear what other doctors have done or not done then he explained to me the different options that he could do for me to help me achieve my goal of having a baby. Then he asked me were I felt comfortable starting and how many times we would like to try that option before deciding to move on to the next option. He made me very comfortable and I completely trusted everything he said he knows what he’s talking about. He was the first doctor that I’ve seen that took the time to listen to me and value my opinion.
He is amazing and he wants nothing more than you to end up with your miracle baby at the end of everything and he will do everything in his power to help you.
Well I have PCOS so he started me on metformin I think 2,000 mg a day and Provera to help start my period and when I started my period I would call in and the nurse would call Clomid in to the pharmacy and tell me what day to take it and when to check for ovulation and when to come in for ultrasounds and when to have intercourse or when to come in for the IUI. The first couple times the clomid wasn’t helping so he upped my dose and I also did gonal-f and it helped we did IUI with donor sperm my choice to try and better my odds of conceiving. It unfortunately did not work either. I decided to take a break and think of my next options and I really feel like IVF is the next best option.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Biggerstaff )
Everyone in both Preg offices are amazing and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The I Ovadril shots were not to pricey in the office I think maybe $50 for one shot and my insurance covered all but $10 of the clomid and all but $5 for the metformin. The IUI I believe was $550 each try plus I paid $800 for donor sperm.
We never got that far.
+ Read more- Read less

I saw Dr. Nichols for the initial consult, the HSG, and my 2nd IUI. He was respectful and clearly optimistic about my prospects of achieving pregnancy. He initially recommended Clomid due to my history of unsuccessful home inseminations, but he told me it was may choice. I chose to do an unmedicated cycle first, but when that didn't work and my post-ovulation progesterone came back low, I agreed to try Clomid for the 2nd try, which is the one that worked.
I loved the intimacy of the [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] Spartanburg office, and it was an easy drive from where I live. My only complaint is that I couldn't do the IUI's there (because I was using donor sperm, and they could only store that at the Greenville office)...The nurses were mostly nice and helpful. One nurse was somewhat negative when doing my follicle scan for the medicated cycle, as she seemed disappointed that I only had one mature follicle with two smaller ones. I was happy with those results, however, because I had been concerned about the risk of multiples.
Do your own research ahead of time so that he won't have to spend a lot of time going over "the basics" and can focus on your individual situation.
Office staff was friendly and remembered me when I came for follow-up visits. Dr. Nichols listened, took me seriously, and seemed to genuinely care about helping me get pregnant. He could tell I had done a lot of research ahead of time, and he did not question my decision to pursue IUI and a single woman.
He recommended I start with a medicated IUI cycle using Clomid, based on my history of 4 unsuccessful home inseminations, but he made it clear that it was my choice whether or not to use medication. I chose not to use Clomid for my first IUI, but I did use a trigger shot. When that cycle didn't work, I agreed to a prescription for 50mg Clomid to take cycle days 3-7, and that IUI resulted in my daughter.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I loved the intimacy of the Spartanburg office, and it was an easy drive from where I live. My only complaint is that I couldn't do the IUI's there (because I was using donor sperm, and they could only store that at the Greenville office).
My insurance covered all office visits (consult, blood work, HSG, IUIs, and ultrasounds) with a copay. I had to pay out-of-pocket for sperm processing, which I think was $100, and for the trigger shot, which was $50 each time.

2011 - 2012
Dr. Nichols was the first doctor that I saw at PREG, but I ended up switching to a different doctor later because I liked him better. I felt that Dr. Nichols did not have a great bedside manner and did not always say things in a caring and compassionate way. However he is a very skilled doctor and he did do both of the transfers that were successful.... I wouldn't exactly say I was treated like a number, but I didn't feel like he had a very good bedside manner.
The staff at PREG's Spartanburg office are very caring and compassionate! I have been a patient there since 2011, and the faces have changed.... I highly recommend PREG to anyone dealing with infertility. The staff is very compassionate. My phone calls or emails have always been returned promptly, usually the same day. I especially love nurse Stephanie at the Spartanburg office. She and the rest of the staff really go the extra mile to make sure you receive the best care!
2011 - 2012
I would recommend seeing Dr. Payne instead.
The cycle that I was a patient of Dr. Nichols was a full cycle. I don't remember exact doses but I can give the drugs that were used. Birth control first, then Lupron to shut down the ovaries. Then I took Gonal-F, estrogen patches, and progesterone shots. Doses of the Gonal-F were increased as needed after each monitoring appointment. I did really well with this protocol as it resulted in our first son!
The staff at PREG's Spartanburg office are very caring and compassionate! I have been a patient there since 2011, and the faces have changed. Like the primary nurse when I did my first cycle had retired by the time I went back to try for our second child. But I have never received anything but the best care.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The monitoring appointments are always first thing in the morning, but they have to do it that way so they can get the blood work to the lab and be able to tell you that day if there will be any changes to your meds. There were usually not very many other people waiting and my wait was not more than 15 minutes.
I believe I paid about $2300 for a full IVF cycle. That didn't include meds. I don't remember exactly how much I paid for those. I had infertility coverage for the medical and the medications.
I don't think my doctor had a preference. I doubt he would have supported transferring more than 2, not that we would have wanted to. We were educated on the risks.

2005 - 2012
Dr. Nichols was absolute the perfect combination of a doctor with great bedside manner and blunt honesty. With each failed pregnancy attempt, before a successful pregnancy, Dr. Nichols would call me to check on me and encourage me. He was simply the best!... Every concern I had Dr. Nichols addressed and ultimately, made me feel better about. It was my favorite thing about him. I trusted his opinion and expertise and I felt confident in each step in my journey.
Everyone [PREG] treated my husband and myself with compassion and concern.... The absolute hardest part was payment. I had excellent insurance and was considered "one of the lucky ones." However, I still had to pay 20% and all of my medications. It was a huge financial strain and sometimes, I did not feel the compassion in the billing department.... Dr. Nichols was absolute the perfect combination of a doctor with great bedside manner and blunt honesty.
2005 - 2012
I honestly do not feel like there were any weaknesses to speak of. Every concern I had Dr. Nichols addressed and ultimately, made me feel better about. It was my favorite thing about him. I trusted his opinion and expertise and I felt confident in each step in my journey.
Tell him everything that scares you or concerns you. He really wants to know.
I went through a couple of cycles of ovulation "stimulator" drugs. Then, we did exploratory surgery to confirm that I had endometriosis. Soon after, I went through IUI as failed attempts. After a year of failed pregnancies, we discovered that my endometriosis was just as bas as it was in the beginning. I had another surgery to "clean" me out and then we decided to go straight to In vitro for best results. The first attempt was failed, but we had frozen embryos. The second IVF was performed as soon as possible and it was successful.
It has been so long that I do not remember their names, but I never once felt like I was not cared for. Everyone treated my husband and myself with compassion and concern.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The absolute hardest part was payment. I had excellent insurance and was considered "one of the lucky ones." However, I still had to pay 20% and all of my medications. It was a huge financial strain and sometimes, I did not feel the compassion in the billing department. :)
I do not remember the total....It was too daunting to think about. :) However, my insurance covered 80% of my treatment, otherwise there is no way we could have gone through with IVF. I have a beautiful 16 yr. old because of Dr. Nichols and that 80%.

Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS
Two FET cycles so far [with Dr. John Nichols]- BC pills for a few weeks, then estrogen, metformin, prenatal vitamins, PIO...makes sure I understand everything before I leave...I never had to question anything once I left the office. Every visit Dr. Nichols made sure I understood what we were doing and what I would be doing next to get me the results we wanted. He is always compassionate and never leaves me feeling confused.
Lindsay [nurse at PREG] always finds time to check in on me during my two week waits, and is always very quick to respond to my phone calls and emails. If she isn't available she makes sure I have spoken to someone upon her return...Egg retrieval/FET cycle 1- $12,000 before medications. FET second- $3200 before medications...So far they only transferred one each cycle. They don't want to transfer multiples as it doesn't seem to help increase the chance of pregnancy just the chance of multiples. Clinic Description
Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS
Make sure you always ask questions so you have a full understanding of everything that is going on with your IVF cycle.
Everyone in the office takes the time to get to know you and your case. Dr. Nichols makes sure I understand everything before I leave.
Egg retrieval- do not remember the medications. Two FET cycles so far- BC pills for a few weeks, then estrogen, metformin, prenatal vitamins, PIO.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Polowzcuk)
Lindsay always finds time to check in on me during my two week waits, and is always very quick to respond to my phone calls and emails. If she isn't available she makes sure I have spoken to someone upon her return.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I don't have any weaknesses to list. They have all been very helpful to me and my husband through the course of IVF. Everyone makes sure we are well taken care of and all of our needs are met. As a new patient I would recommend doing your research ahead of time just to get an idea of what may/may not take place.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Nichols is very compassionate and caring. He explains everything in detail gives us our options and also his honest opinion which helps with decision making. Any questions we have he is more than happy to answer. He goes over next steps very clearly so we know what to expect.... Dr Nichols is very compassionate and caring. He answered all my questions and was very knowledgeable.
The Drs and nurses are very friendly and helpful every time we are there [at Piedmont Reproductive Endo Group-Asheville]. They are always ready to greet us when we walk in the office. The clinic is very clean and inviting. The pictures they having hanging on the walls give you hope and the atmosphere is always pleasant... The nursing staff has been wonderful. They are very nice Everytime I call to ask a simple question. When we are at the clinic they are always right there willing to help or answer any questions we may have. They are always smiling and happy to see their patients.
To make sure you make a list of all the questions you have and feel free to ask him anything. He is very knowledgeable and explains things very well.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The Drs and nurses are very friendly and helpful every time we are there. They are always ready to greet us when we walk in the office. The clinic is very clean and inviting. The pictures they having hanging on the walls give you hope and the atmosphere is always pleasant.
I have just started seeing Dr Nichols and just recently went over cost for the procedure we are looking at doing. He gave us a detailed list of information about pricing and nutse was able to sit down and talk to us in more depth about the financial part.

Anovulation, Unexplained
He [Dr. John Nicols] has been very thorough with explaining everything in detail and always making sure we felt comfortable. I always felt like I was talking to a family member and felt comfortable. He has gone above and beyond with meeting with us about any concerns we have. He is very compassionate and reassured us with any setbacks we had. He kept up my confidence!!
[PREG's] weaknesses- did not give us IVF protocol in enough time to research options of buying drugs. We would have saves thousands if not more if we had ample time to research. There was a lot of waiting time at appointments... Megan- I cannot say enough wonderful things about her- I mean she has been such a blessing!!! I could joke with her and she made me feel completely at ease when some things were uncomfortable. She is the best nurse that I have ever had in my life!!!!!
Anovulation, Unexplained
He has been very thorough with explaining everything in detail and always making sure we felt comfortable. I always felt like I was talking to a family member and felt comfortable. He has gone above and beyond with meeting with us about any concerns we have. He is very compassionate and reassured us with any setbacks we had. He kept up my confidence!!
Tell him everything- he will try his best to figure out a solution
Answered any questions we had. Followed up with us regarding concerns and made us feel like family!!
Trying clomid and femaera first before injectables.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Megan Vazant)
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
weaknesses- did not give us IVF protocol in enough time to research options of buying drugs. We would have saves thousands if not more if we had ample time to research. There was a lot of waiting time at appointments. I would NOT recommend LINDSAY POLOWCZUK- she was one of the nurses that treated us like we were 5 years old and reprimanded us for things. strengths- worked as much as they could with our work schedules.
drugs were very expensive and we should have know what we needed in advance so we could buy cheaper
They suggested we transfer 1 or 2 but not any more

PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
He [Dr. Nichols] is very kind and to the point and that’s what I Love about him. Always answers all my questions and is willing to help in any way. A great doctor very caring. He sat me down after my first set of labs and went through and explained each one and what they meant, trying to give me some answers as to all of my losses. I would recommend him highly to anyone struggling with infertility... He started me on femara to induce ovulation,because I had been on clomid for way to long.
Strengths: very kind offices and compassionate and very tentative. Weakness: I really don’t have any complaints honestly, it would be nice to see the doctor more often but not always necessary. I think this [PREG] is a great clinic and would refer anyone... [Nursing Staff] They are all so very kind and compassionate. They always call back promptly after leaving messages answers every question in detail, always explain procedures and results
PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
He is very kind and to the point and that’s what I Love about him. Always answers all my questions and is willing to help in any way. A great doctor very caring. He sat me down after my first set of labs and went through and explained each one and what they meant, trying to give me some answers as to all of my losses. I would recommend him highly to anyone struggling with infertility
To listen to his advice and try to do everything he says
He is always very kind and understanding, explains everything in detail and answers all my questions.
He started me on femara to induce ovulation,because I had been on clomid for way to long. Then I come in for a follicle scab on day 11, based on that I will do an hcg trigger shot, then 3 days post ovulation I will start progesterone suppositories to help try and prevent miscarriage. I also am on daily aspirin and metformin due to pcos and pregnancy loss.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: very kind offices and compassionate and very tentative. Weakness: I really don’t have any complaints honestly, it would be nice to see the doctor more often but not always necessary. I think this is a great clinic and would refer anyone
Iui:475$ Hcg shot 80$ Ultrasound copay:50$

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Nichols was very pleasant and talked to me like I was a human being. He wasn’t just trying to convince me to do things his way he actually listened.... Was told I had to use donor eggs. Currently trying to find a donor and move forward now. Dr. Nichols explained his recommendations based on his experience but I wanted to try with my own eggs so I saw a different doctor. That didn’t work using my own eggs. So now, we are back seeing Dr. Nichols. He’s a great doctor and the only one I prefer seeing at the clinic as thee others are rude and don’t have good manners.
The clinic [PREG] is nice, Dr. Whitman is a doctor I would not recommend anyone seeing at the clinic. Her bedside manners is horrible, she lacks tact and is rude. Out side of that the staff is good but can be a bit slow with replying to messages and sending back information.... Donor egg cost for one kit is approximately $15,000 - $28,000 and is not covered by insurance. The doctors office cost and procedures are approximately an additional $10,000 - $15,000. Plus medications.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
We never got to a treatment still in the process of trying to do that. Was told I had to use donor eggs. Currently trying to find a donor and move forward now. Dr. Nichols explained his recommendations based on his experience but I wanted to try with my own eggs so I saw a different doctor. That didn’t work using my own eggs. So now, we are back seeing Dr. Nichols. He’s a great doctor and the only one I prefer seeing at the clinic as thee others are rude and don’t have good manners.
Giving him all of your information and allow him to provide you with his best medical advise.
No treatment has been provided at this time, we are in the process of moving forward.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is nice, Dr. Whitman is a doctor I would not recommend anyone seeing at the clinic. Her bedside manners is horrible, she lacks tact and is rude. Out side of that the staff is good but can be a bit slow with replying to messages and sending back information.
Donor egg cost for one kit is approximately $15,000 - $28,000 and is not covered by insurance. The doctors office cost and procedures are approximately an additional $10,000 - $15,000. Plus medications. Fresh egg cycle with donors are a bit more expensive, approximately an additional $10,000 plus the donors medication and procedure cost.
+ Read more- Read less

The clinic [PREG] was accommodating. It was comfortable and welcoming. It seemed pretty standard. It was easy to locate and yet inconspicuous enough. The temperature was just as you would expect of any medical facility. By far the best part were the adorable baby pictures and birth notices....The nurses were all wonderful. The were kind and understanding. They explained things clearly. I had a great experience with the nurses.
Dr. Nicholas was very knowledgeable. He did a wonderful job of explaining what we were to expect from baseline blood work to pregnancy test. However, he didn't necessarily take as much of a hands on approach as we'd hoped. Another doctor performed our mock retrieval and I wish Dr. Nicholas would have completed this. I think it would have assisted with the actual retrieval. Nevertheless, I think he set realistic expectations and provided us with decent care. I would probably try another doctor on future IVF attempts.
As with any doctor or service provider; do your own research and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Dr. Nicholas was informative and thorough in answering questions. He didn't seem overly friendly, didn't attempt to build rapport, and at times seemed disinterested in our fertility journey.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic was accommodating. It was comfortable and welcoming. It seemed pretty standard. It was easy to locate and yet inconspicuous enough. The temperature was just as you would expect of any medical facility. By far the best part were the adorable baby pictures and birth notices. Always a reason to smile!
$5,000 for 1 round of Invocell.
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Nichols] is a Compassionate, caring, and understanding doctor. He always gave us all our options and what he thought would be best for our situation. He had a great bedside manner. He took the time to explain things when we had questions or didn’t understand something. He was encouraging during the process of our treatmen.... Suggested to attempt iui, after the second failed attempted he suggested ivf but gave the option to try iui one more time.
Great clinic. Small but easy to find. When calling the clinic always easy to speak with someone. Always clean. Did a great job at providing privacy. At each appointment theWaiting time was appropriate.... The nurses at Preg were great communicators. They were caring and compassionate. Always did a great job explaining medications and procedures. Performed their task in a timely manner.... Each iui was 400 dollars, not counting the medications, between medications and the ivf treatment it was about 20,000 to 25,000 dollars.
He is a Compassionate, caring, and understanding doctor. He always gave us all our options and what he thought would be best for our situation. He had a great bedside manner. He took the time to explain things when we had questions or didn’t understand something. He was encouraging during the process of our treatmen.
A great fertility doctor, very educated in fertility treatments
The doctors at Preg always went out of their way to listen to you, give advice, provide excellent care, and take the time for each of their patients. It always felt like a family when being cared for at Preg
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey)
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
While doing fertility treatment insurance did not cover the treatments. Each iui was 400 dollars, not counting the medications, between medications and the ivf treatment it was about 20,000 to 25,000 dollars. We spent the extra money to get the embryos tested and we are glad we did considering we only had one perfect little miracle out of 4 good embryos.
+ Read more- Read less
Dr. Nichols is brilliant at what he does. He is on the "blunt" side of explanations, but he is thorough and makes sure there is complete understanding. He is a busy man, but he does take time to get to know you specifically in order to best treat you.... For all three cycles we used Femara 7.5mg along with Gonal-F injections and HCG trigger shots. I unfortunately did not ovulate on any of the cycles, even when we upped dosages on the injections.
The nursing staff [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] are wonderful! They are so compassionate and patient. They are also very knowledgeable and can explain rationale over again if need be.... The clinic in Asheville is smaller, but nice! They are unable to do some procedures at this clinic and therefore offer those procedures in either the hospital near by (which is way more expensive) or in their Greenville/Spartanburg office which is a little drive away. Also, Dr. Nichols travels between the offices and is currently only at the Asheville clinic on Wednesdays.
Know yourself! Have a full history ready when you go for your first appointment. And also to be ready for some hard truths at times, but know that they are necessary!
He was very personal and professional at the same time. He never made me feel like my specific issues didn't matter or were "just a number".
The nursing staff are wonderful! They are so compassionate and patient. They are also very knowledgeable and can explain rationale over again if need be.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Unfortunately my insurance did not cover any costs at PREG, however my husbands insurance covered some of the appointments/treatments/ultrasounds. Otherwise, we would have paid $400+ a visit.
+ Read more- Read less
Dr Nichols was very helpful. He made sure my husband and myself understood my condition. His first priority is my health first. He wants to make sure I’m healed and healthy.... He explained each test. Once all the test were completed he explained our next procedure. He was very honest and open with me. My results from my test showed I had a lot of scar tissue. He performed surgery and it went well. He was very informative. He went over every detail with us. I trust him and I would recommend him to all my friends and family. We are still working on our plan but I trust that he will help us become parents again.
My first appointment with them [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group-Greenville] they provided me with all the paper work before I arrived. I never had to wait long. They are always nice and organized. Anytime I call they are always pleasant. If i have to leave a message they always get back to me within the same day.... They were very helpful. I always knew how much to expect when I had an appointment.
My first visit was a consultation. He asked basic information and went over my health history. He let me know what test needed to be done and when. He explained each test. Once all the test were completed he explained our next procedure. He was very honest and open with me. My results from my test showed I had a lot of scar tissue. He performed surgery and it went well. He was very informative. He went over every detail with us. I trust him and I would recommend him to all my friends and family. We are still working on our plan but I trust that he will help us become parents again.
Trust him. He is very good and knows his work
Very friendly. Anytime I call they are so helpful.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
My first appointment with them they provided me with all the paper work before I arrived. I never had to wait long. They are always nice and organized. Anytime I call they are always pleasant. If i have to leave a message they always get back to me within the same day.
+ Read more- Read less

I truely felt like he [Dr. Nichols] cared about our situation even though I know he has a lot of patients he sees everyday. I felt like he was going to do everything possible to help us grow our family. He did a good job answering our questions and explaining different options.... His bed side manor was excellent and even though I know he deals with couples trying to grow their families on a daily basis I still felt he cared about my husband and I and not just another patient.
The Wait time for each visit has been very short and appointment availability has been great. I would recommend anyone and call for a consultation appointment ASAP. I will be able to give more information once we start and go through our IVF cycle.... [Nursing Staff at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] Upbeat, friendly and very knowledgeable... Started out with injections (3 cycles) and due to age and time and insurance and our infertility diagnosis we are moving towards IVF.
I truely felt like he cared about our situation even though I know he has a lot of patients he sees everyday. I felt like he was going to do everything possible to help us grow our family. He did a good job answering our questions and explaining different options.
Schedule a consultation appointment ASAP.
Personal consultation and follow up visits. His bed side manor was excellent and even though I know he deals with couples trying to grow their families on a daily basis I still felt he cared about my husband and I and not just another patient.
Upbeat, friendly and very knowledgeable
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Consultation appointment cost, day 12 follicle scan, follow up blood work, X-ray scan
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Nichols doesn’t go out of his way to sympathize with you, but when you are in pain he knows how to comfort you. He talks very quickly and doesn’t give you any time to see if you have any questions or to let you think about your questions. He is friendly. ... I understand they [PREG] have a job to do and plenty of patients to see, but you should also treat those paying patients better as a human.
Weakness would be the financial side. My husband and I were told that we would sit down with a financial coordinator to discuss finances, but instead they [PREG] did it at the front desk during checkout. Very impersonal. Didn’t really understand everything. Strength is that the staff is pretty friendly and it seems very clean and organized. ... The nursing staff does a good job, but no compassion it seems. Not very good bedside manner. There is only one nurse I would want to see 100% of the time.
Write down information he gives you because he may not go over it again
I did feel like a human some of the time, but more times than not I felt like a number. They get you out of there quickly, he talks very fast, and they aren’t there to sympathize with you. I understand they have a job to do and plenty of patients to see, but you should also treat those paying patients better as a human.
Not sure
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Weakness would be the financial side. My husband and I were told that we would sit down with a financial coordinator to discuss finances, but instead they did it at the front desk during checkout. Very impersonal. Didn’t really understand everything. Strength is that the staff is pretty friendly and it seems very clean and organized.
HSG test about $600 but my insurance did not help with infertility coverage.
None

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
He [Dr. Nichols] presented information in a nice but professional way. He reviewed results with us so we could understand them. He also presented us with different treatment options and the pros and cons of each. He also would ask us at each visit if we had any questions regarding our care...We tried using letrozole with IUI for our first cycle which was not successful. We then tried letrozole only and did become pregnant but miscarried at 7.5 weeks. Currently, we are taking things slowly.
IUI was $695.00 [at PREG]. Trigger injection was $100.00. Letrozole was $4.00 per cycle...They are receptive and typically you will receive a call back in a timely manner. They also present you with financial information at your first visit which is very helpful. My only critique is that I called to learn the results of my HCG test and was told by one staff member that I would likely miscarry or have an ectopic pregnancy. Another staff member told me that this was a possibility but everything may be fine.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
He presented information in a nice but professional way. He reviewed results with us so we could understand them. He also presented us with different treatment options and the pros and cons of each. He also would ask us at each visit if we had any questions regarding our care.
Ask questions if you don't understand something.
He took the time to discuss our diagnosis and possible options for treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Mikayla)
Mikayla was very helpful through the process. I felt like I could ask her anything if I didn't know the answer.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
IUI was $695.00. Trigger injection was $100.00. Letrozole was $4.00 per cycle.
+ Read more- Read less

They [the nursing staff at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group-Spartanburg] were all very nice and helpful they made me feel like family very caring and was concerned if i had any questions and etc... He [Dr. John Nichols] took us to his office and sat down one on one with us and went over everything we needed to know what all we needed to do and what all our options was asked us if we had any questions and so on he was very compassionate and very caring about helping us and getting to the point for us to become parents you can tell he loves his job and what he does and helping others succeed
He took us to his office and sat down one on one with us and went over everything we needed to know what all we needed to do and what all our options was asked us if we had any questions and so on he was very compassionate and very caring about helping us and getting to the point for us to become parents you can tell he loves his job and what he does and helping others succeed
Listen to him and do whatever he suggests to get you to having a family of your own
He took us to his office and sat down with us one on one and went over everything gave us options and ask us if we had any questions and so on
They were all very nice and helpful they made me feel like family very caring and was concerned if i had any questions and etc
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
My obgyn actually referred me to this clinic and i cant thank him enough this staff is very caring and concerned for there patients very helpful answers every question and concern couldnt ask for a better clinic that brings you in as family
It was a good bit infertility isnt covered under my health insurance

2014 - 2017
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Nichols was very professional and was willing to give me choices based on my fertility diagnosis. I was never limited in what treatment that they would consider or course of action throughout my treatment. Any questions that I had were addressed and I never felt rushed.... This clinic has several offices that are available that work together if needed. I never had trouble getting appointments or getting in touch with someone if necessary. All of the staff and doctors are very knowledgeable and can accommodate a wide variety of needs.
Hands down, Stephanie was the best nurse [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group]! She was very understanding and good about answering any questions that I had. She was always available and prompt if I needed anything. I probably would have gave up if it were not for her. She made time for me and was always accommodating.... This clinic has several offices that are available that work together if needed. I never had trouble getting appointments or getting in touch with someone if necessary. All of the staff and doctors are very knowledgeable and can accommodate a wide variety of needs.
2014 - 2017
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Do not be afraid to ask questions or advice on course of treatment.
All of my concerns were addressed and everyone was very patient and caring about my diagnosis and plan of treatment.
First IUI cycle was with clomid.
Hands down, Stephanie was the best nurse! She was very understanding and good about answering any questions that I had. She was always available and prompt if I needed anything. I probably would have gave up if it were not for her. She made time for me and was always accommodating.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Insurance covered some expenses. Overall total treatment care was at or a little over $25,000.
I was given an option to transfer one embryo or two. It was advised to only transfer one embryo at a time since they were of high quality. The doctor was very good at explaining the process and the pros and cons of one versus two.

3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Dr. Nichols was very straight forward and always positive with me. He was fast and efficient as going through these procedures are not fun but he always made you feel special and like your day was going to come to have the baby you always wanted.... 3 IUI's, recommended that we move on to IVF. 1st Fresh transfer of one embryo did not take so we transferred 2 embryos frozen and we had a baby with one.
They [PREG] get you in fast, the front desk is great and will really work with you. IFV is expensive and our insurance wouldn't cover so we reviewed options for loans. The staff really seem to care about each patient. They still call me to check up on my son and he is 18 months now.... $20,000 for 3 IUI, 1 fresh IVF, 1 frozen IVF... They [nurses] always knew who I was and were very compassionate. One of the nurses had been through infertility treatments and so could relate.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
He is very straight forward, no sugar coating.
All the nurses and the doctor were very genuine. I even brought my son in to see everyone at a few weeks old and they were all very excited!
They always knew who I was and were very compassionate. One of the nurses had been through infertility treatments and so could relate.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They get you in fast, the front desk is great and will really work with you. IFV is expensive and our insurance wouldn't cover so we reviewed options for loans. The staff really seem to care about each patient. They still call me to check up on my son and he is 18 months now.
$20,000 for 3 IUI, 1 fresh IVF, 1 frozen IVF

Endometriosis, PCOS
I felt like he [Dr. John Nichols] didn’t give it his all. He said he would at least get my cycles back and that didn’t happen. I went to my gyn and started birth control to start them but I still haven’t conceived. I just wish it was something else that he would have tried to get me to that point. It kinda felt like he just gave up on me.... I just remember taking these pills that were something like clomid to start my cycles. They started with a P. I would go in maybe one or two months and a nurse would check me and then I would go to the back with him to talk.
The strengths of this clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group-Spartanburg] is that they have great people that are willing to help you along the way. But if you really want a doctor that is going to be helpful with understanding then let him know. The office is amazing. And it’s nice to see the different pictures of families that they have helped in the office.
Endometriosis, PCOS
I felt like he didn’t give it his all. He said he would at least get my cycles back and that didn’t happen. I went to my gyn and started birth control to start them but I still haven’t conceived. I just wish it was something else that he would have tried to get me to that point. It kinda felt like he just gave up on me.
Don’t make your patients feel like there is nothing else you can help them with.
They were the ones that mainly helped me. They were very compassionate and careful with everything that they did.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The strengths of this clinic is that they have great people that are willing to help you along the way. But if you really want a doctor that is going to be helpful with understanding then let him know. The office is amazing. And it’s nice to see the different pictures of families that they have helped in the office.
I don’t know the costs
2015 - 2019
6 IUI, IVF, Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Other
My wife and I only saw John [Dr. Nichols] once during our treatments but when we did see him he was very straightforward and gave us all of the information that we needed. I felt confident after speaking with him and knew what all of the next steps and expectations where....The communication between the front desk, finance coordination and nurse [PREG] where lacking most of the time. When it came to knowing what we owed when we owed it there were often surprises
The clinic [PREG] was very compassionate and was always willing to help. The most stressful part of the process is finances and that’s where their weakness lies. The lack of communication makes it hard to know cost up front and we have had a lot of $500-$1000 surprises.... There was one cycle where they did not call in my birth control for two days. We had to keep calling them and the pharmacy to figure out what was going on.
2015 - 2019
6 IUI, IVF, Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Other
My wife and I only saw John once during our treatments but when we did see him he was very straightforward and gave us all of the information that we needed. I felt confident after speaking with him and knew what all of the next steps and expectations where.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Victoria Bishop and McKayla )
The communication between the front desk, finance coordination and nurse where lacking most of the time. When it came to knowing what we owed when we owed it there were often surprises because someone did not communicate all of the important information of what they would be doing during the appointments for effect pricing.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic was very compassionate and was always willing to help. The most stressful part of the process is finances and that’s where their weakness lies. The lack of communication makes it hard to know cost up front and we have had a lot of $500-$1000 surprises. If we did not have a back up budget I don’t know that we would have been able to keep up.
Total is somewhere around $33,000 overall

3 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
Dr. Nicholas is amazing. He has always made me feel like he cares. He goes into lots of detail to make sure we fully understood what was going on. He was honest with us about everything. He would personally call me back to answer important questions ... We did egg retrieval with fresh transfer. Frozen transfer and egg retrieval with GPS testing. ... He went out of his way to do my egg retrieval before he went to the Asheville office because he knew it was important to me
I highly recommend PREG. They are great at communicating what is going on and what you need to do. They listen to your concerns. They are very caring and put you first. They let you know cosy upfront and work with you to save money. ... 18,000 for egg retrieval and sperm retrieval ... If genetic testing is done, they recommend transferring 1. If no genetic testing then transfer 2. ... Everyone [nurses] was great. They were compassionate. Always answered my questions
3 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
Trust him.
Dr. Nicholas always made me feel like he cared. He went out of his way to do my egg retrieval before he went to the Asheville office because he knew it was important to me
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsey )
Everyone was great. They were compassionate. Always answered my questions
18,000 for egg retrieval and sperm retrieval
+ Read more- Read less

Dr.Nichols is very educational in his personalized discussions, he makes great decisions based on your situation not what has worked in the past. The only thing I didnt like was the shifting of Dr. to patient ordeal, we seen many physicians but everything always went back to him.
The only weakness [for PREG-Spartanburg] I notice is the phone service it's almost impossible to get a nurse on the line or to initially get an answer sometimes, you're almost always rooted to another preg. The strengths are they're educated and very informative. They show true compassion and great concern for your desire.... The nursing staff is amazing and prompt. I've called many times and received same day appts and detailed answers. They've kept in contact thru each cycle. They make a great team.
Be prepared to take action, this Dr. doesn't waste your time nor your money.
I felt more human with this Physician from the very beginning. He spoke directly to me and had a personalized plan of care for my husband and I situation.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The only weakness I notice is the phone service it's almost impossible to get a nurse on the line or to initially get an answer sometimes, you're almost always rooted to another preg. The strengths are they're educated and very informative. They show true compassion and great concern for your desire.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Nichols was very thorough and very understanding of our situation and very knowledgeable about where we needed to go from hereHe took the time and effort to go over all of our options and explain the pros and cons of each option and why we could do one procedure versus the other... Dr. Nichols took a lot of time to go over how we needed to be tested and what the test results meant and what our options were as far as IVF
I really like this clinic [PREG] and everybody was friendly from the billing people to the nurses to the doctors and they really took the time via email and or in person or on the phone to communicate with us about our options... Right now the only thing I had to pay for was my ultrasound which was $280... The nursing staff took my blood and was very very nice. She was very friendly and communicated with me about everything she was doing
Make sure you get him
We are currently going through our first cycle with Dr. Nichols
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I really like this clinic and everybody was friendly from the billing people to the nurses to the doctors and they really took the time via email and or in person or on the phone to communicate with us about our options
Right now the only thing I had to pay for was my ultrasound which was $280

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
If we move forward with IVF, eSET is recommended for us. I think it's a good idea personally, I would rather not have twins due to the risks....Dr. Nichols was thorough and explained things easily. I had an HSG with him and it went smoothly and quickly, I received my results right away. ...Dr. Nichols feels that IVF if the best treatment course for us....Very thorough, explained things easily.
Great staff [Piedmont Repro - G'ville], knowledgeable providers with a good bedside manner. Nurses are friendly and helpful. It is fairly easy to get an appointment with them. Lab and ultrasound staff are also excellent. Front desk staff are very helpful when discussing payment and insurance questions...I received my results right away. Office was helpful and answered questions appropriately.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Liked the nurse a lot. Dr. Nichols was thorough and explained things easily. I had an HSG with him and it went smoothly and quickly, I received my results right away. Office was helpful and answered questions appropriately.
Very thorough, explained things easily.
Dr. Nichols feels that IVF if the best treatment course for us.
Very helpful, it can take awhile to get a call back though.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Great staff, knowledgeable providers with a good bedside manner. Nurses are friendly and helpful. It is fairly easy to get an appointment with them. Lab and ultrasound staff are also excellent. Front desk staff are very helpful when discussing payment and insurance questions.
I haven't gone through with IVF yet, so far I have some coverage for treatments with my insurance.
+ Read more- Read less
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
He [Dr. John Nichols] is honest and does not blow smoke. While he is a bit cut and dried at times with explanation, I feel as though he is thorough, competent and honest...Don’t expect a ton of hand holding, expect professional and honest answers...personalized and very kind. Even for an ivf patient I have a special history due to cancer at 35 and he has been very cognizant of and sensitive to the special challenges
Office staff [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] is terrific, couple of times we have had to call for reminders of what is next step. Very compassionate. It is very nice too that they know who you are on arrival, after initial visit. Makes the whole experience feel like you have friends rooting for your success...The nursing staff and nurse practitioner are all wonderful, as is the office staff
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Covered in previous question related to special treatment re post cancer care. He is honest and does not blow smoke. While he is a bit cut and dried at times with explanation, I feel as though he is thorough, competent and honest
Don’t expect a ton of hand holding, expect professional and honest answers
Dr Nichols has been honest, personalized and very kind. Even for an ivf patient I have a special history due to cancer at 35 and he has been very cognizant of and sensitive to the special challenges
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Office staff is terrific, couple of times we have had to call for reminders of what is next step. Very compassionate. It is very nice too that they know who you are on arrival, after initial visit. Makes the whole experience feel like you have friends rooting for your success
We have so far spent about 25k
+ Read more- Read less

[Protocol with Dr. Nichols] Hormone injections to stimulate ovulation IUI -spoke of this but declined IVF - starting treatment now...Made sure we understand the plan and answered our questions...Seems very knowledgeable and easy to speak with. We feel comfortable with him handling our care. Speaks in a way that is easy to understand and wants us to know the plan in place. Would recommend to anyone needing these types of services.
Had some issues with insurance billing but they [Premier Fertility Center] handled it quickly and to our satisfaction. The staff are good about communicating appointments and needs for each appointment. We have been impressed by the office...[nurses were] Good, caring, compassionate...$12500 for IVF...[Protocol with Dr. Nichols] Hormone injections to stimulate ovulation IUI -spoke of this but declined IVF - starting treatment now
How was your experience with John Nichols at Premier Fertility Centers?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Nichols at Premier Fertility Centers?
Ask any questions that you may have and he will answer them.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Nichols at Premier Fertility Centers?
Made sure we understand the plan and answered our questions
Describe the protocols John Nichols used in your cycles at Premier Fertility Centers and their degree of success.
Good, caring, compassionate
Describe your experience with Premier Fertility Centers.
Had some issues with insurance billing but they handled it quickly and to our satisfaction. The staff are good about communicating appointments and needs for each appointment. We have been impressed by the office
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Nichols at Premier Fertility Centers.
Copays with insurance and tests. $60 copay for visits, $220 for genetic testing, $12500 for IVF
Describe John Nichols's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Premier Fertility Centers.
Premier Fertility Centers
Winston-Salem
+ Read more- Read less
[Dr. Nichols was] Concise in his explanations and answering my questions. Was realistic and provided options where I had the best chance for a successful outcome...Strengths: extremely knowledgeable and realistic; wants his treatments with patients to be successful...describes each procedure and upcoming steps. Confident re: clinical decision making. Weaknesses: none evident
Strengths [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group]: Appears to run smoothly and organized; clean; staff is efficient in carrying out and performing tests and procedures. Weaknesses: they messed up on billing my insurance which is an added stress that I don’t want/need at this time...[nurses were] Supportive, empathetic, and readily available to assist and answer questions. Calm fears and offer encouragement when you at at a low.
Strengths: extremely knowledgeable and realistic; wants his treatments with patients to be successful. Concise and describes each procedure and upcoming steps. Confident re: clinical decision making. Weaknesses: none evident
Ask any and all questions you have. Do not hold back.
Letrozole with follow up ovidrell injection combined with timed intercourse. Moving up to IVF next due to my diagnosis, but have not started treatment for this.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: Appears to run smoothly and organized; clean; staff is efficient in carrying out and performing tests and procedures. Weaknesses: they messed up on billing my insurance which is an added stress that I don’t want/need at this time.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
He [Dr. Nichols] set my expectations and didn't sugar coat anything... He really reassured me and didn't give me false hope. That's what I always look for when dealing with a doctor. He was patient and kind and made me feel comfortable. I have stage 4 endometriosis and have been dealing with this disease for almost 20 years.... That he is really caring and didn't make you feel like just another patient. He made me feel at home and important
Everything was great. Very clean environment. Everyone [PREG] was approachable and very attentive. They made me feel relaxed and honestly like I was family. Not at anytime did the make me feel out of place. Prior to my visit I was skeptical and nervous and felt like they were all about money but I didn't get that vibe when I walked through the doors.... He [Dr. Nichols] set my expectations and didn't sugar coat anything
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
He set my expectations and didn't sugar coat anything
We are waiting on test results to come back to plan the next course of action
They all were amazing
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Everything was great. Very clean environment. Everyone was approachable and very attentive. They made me feel relaxed and honestly like I was family. Not at anytime did the make me feel out of place. Prior to my visit I was skeptical and nervous and felt like they were all about money but I didn't get that vibe when I walked through the doors.
Didn't make it that far yet
We didn't get that far with things

Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Nichols explained everything in a clear and straight forward manner. He was realistic about the outcomes and did not give us false hope. Our IVF course went well and we understood each step along the way.... We did a fresh cycle IVF with progesterone in oil shots, but when i started To have a reaction we switched to crinone. Switched the trigger injection when it looked like I was going to overstimulate and that worked well. I transferred 5 day embryos (2) and 1 took.
They [the staff at Piedmont Reproductive Group] know me and my husband by name and when I would call I would get a person and not a recording to leave a message.... Every nurse we had was compassionate and really loved their job.... They are great about answering questions via email or phone call even after hours... I believe IVF was around 10-12k
Endometriosis, Unexplained
He may not come across as "warm and fuzzy" but he is a great doctor!
They know me and my husband by name and when I would call I would get a person and not a recording to leave a message.
Every nurse we had was compassionate and really loved their job.
I believe IVF was around 10-12k
Our quality of embryos wasn't excellent so transferring 2 was ok with him. He usually suggests transferring 1 if they are great quality.

3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
He [Dr. John Nichols] is a very upfront doctor. He doesn't sugarcoat anything so you don't get your hopes up but he does give you all the oporions available. He will give you the percentage of whatever procedure you decide to have. Bring IVF, IUI, or donor egg.
The strengths [for Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology group] are in the nurses. The weakness is in the front. These ladies could show a little more compassion instead of just checking you out... The donor we picked the first time was a carrier of CF that was not listed on her profile that I felt should have been
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
He is a very upfront doctor. He doesn't sugarcoat anything so you don't get your hopes up but he does give you all the oporions available. He will give you the percentage of whatever procedure you decide to have. Bring IVF, IUI, or donor egg.
Be open minded
Staff and the Doctors are very concerned with your best interest
We are awaiting on egg retrivial now
Most of the nurses are very compassionate and show it in every visit
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The strengths are in the nurses. The weakness is in the front. These ladies could show a little more compassion instead of just checking you out
We are self pay. My insurance through Bluecross Blueshield does not cover any of this do my husband is taking a "Hardship" towards his 401k
Yes he didn't want to transfer 2 at onetime. Only recommends one at a time.
+ Read more- Read less

He was very understanding and showed companion. Dr. Nichols always explained any questions and or concerns that my spouse and I had. Dr. Nichols is a amazing doctor and I would recommend anyone I know to see him for fertility help... I took fertility drugs cycle day 3-9 and did the ovadril shot day before iui.... The nurses were always very kind and all around great
The over all clinic [PREG-Spartanburg] was great but the front desk clerks could use some work. The lady at the front desk once did not let the nurse know that I was there and I waited over an hour before she even knew I was there. When the nurse finally seen me out there she was like you have never been late before and I let her know I was 10 minutes early like always I'm not sure why she didn't lethink her know I was there other than that everyone else is great
Latino, Other
Listen closely to what he says and follow the instructions accordingly
They always treated me with respect and kindness
I took fertility drugs cycle day 3-9 and did the ovadril shot day before iui.
The nurses were always very kind and all around great
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The over all clinic was great but the front desk clerks could use some work. The lady at the front desk once did not let the nurse know that I was there and I waited over an hour before she even knew I was there. When the nurse finally seen me out there she was like you have never been late before and I let her know I was 10 minutes early like always I'm not sure why she didn't lethink her know I was there other than that everyone else is great
It was different everytime but I have a credit with them due to over charging me.
2019 - 2020
Dr Nichols and his staff treated my partner and I with respect and dignity throughout the IVF process. Although it didn’t end as we hoped, we would try again... is a straight shooter - very open and honest but also personable and friendly. He walked us through the risks and chances of each procedure and worked with us to develop a plan based on our needs and preferences...I only had one embryo to transfer after testing so this [Eset] wasn’t an issue for me.
Overall I felt that the clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] was amazing. The nurses, phlebotomists, doctors and the whole crew were professional, organized and invested in their mission. More organized financial information would be helpful!...Dr Nichols and his staff treated my partner and I with respect and dignity throughout the IVF process. Although it didn’t end as we hoped, we would try again with Peidmont Reproductive.
2019 - 2020
Dr Nichols is a straight shooter - very open and honest but also personable and friendly. He walked us through the risks and chances of each procedure and worked with us to develop a plan based on our needs and preferences.
Go for it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Mikayla )
Mikayla was organized and very thorough. She’s compassionate and kind to her patients and was empathetic when I had a bad reaction to progesterone. She helped problem solve and get me different mediation the same day.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Overall I felt that the clinic was amazing. The nurses, phlebotomists, doctors and the whole crew were professional, organized and invested in their mission. More organized financial information would be helpful!
IVf-15,000 Meds-5,000
I only had one embryo to transfer after testing so this wasn’t an issue for me.
2019 - 2020
He [Dr. John Nichols] is incredibly knowledgeable and blunt. He really cares...He took the time to look over all my information and give me the best and worst case scenarios. He was blunt but not harsh...He was very straightforward and was a little intimidating at first. Once we spoke to him again he put me at ease. He explained everything going on or what would be going on and answered all of our questions...
They [staff at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] are very organized and responsive. Even if its a quick let me look into it and then get back to you. EVERYONE in the office was kind and attentive. I always feel welcome when Im there. They take the time to break down and explain whats going on and the future steps to be taken...They [nurses] were kind and caring. They took time to listen and make me feel like i wasn't just another body in the room
2019 - 2020
He is incredibly knowledgeable and blunt. He really cares
They were kind and caring. They took time to listen and make me feel like i wasn't just another body in the room
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are very organized and responsive. Even if its a quick let me look into it and then get back to you. EVERYONE in the office was kind and attentive. I always feel welcome when Im there. They take the time to break down and explain whats going on and the future steps to be taken.
I dont ever remember paying anything in addition to my co pay except for my tubal reversal