Available by cell phone
(864)-232-7734
1330 Boiling Springs Rd.
Spartanburg, SC 29303
(864)-583-2669
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend John Nichols to a friend?

6.5

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group to a friend?
I felt like a human because Dr. Nichols was very gentle, thorough, and explained all the procedures prior to my testing. ... His communication is simple to understand. ... He made sure to pause and ask if I had any questions or concerns. He made me feel comfortable and show compassion for his profession. ... He would show me the results on the monitor screen and explain to me what's going on in words I can understand.
How was your experience with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I saw Dr. Nichols for my HSG testing and he was very informative and compassionate. He was able to answer any questions I had and his genuine personality made the atmosphere and my anxiety feel relaxed. For example, my cervix was short so he had to reclamp it a couple of times. He showed his concern by asking how I was feeling and letting me know before hand, you will feel some pressure here or it will feel uncomfortable when I do this but it's not intolerable. He would show me the results on the monitor screen and explain to me what's going on in words I can understand.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Nichols is very gentle and will treat his patients with respect. His communication is simple to understand.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I felt like a human because Dr. Nichols was very gentle, thorough, and explained all the procedures prior to my testing. He made sure to pause and ask if I had any questions or concerns. He made me feel comfortable and show compassion for his profession.
Describe the protocols John Nichols used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
The treatment I had was HSG testing. My results were normal and both of my fallopian tubes were not blocked. Dr. Nichols also offered ibuprofen in the office prior to the testing due to side effects of stomach cramping that can occur afterwards.
Nurse pracrioter Tori is just amazing. She is extremely knowledgeable in her profession. She is the main nurse in charge of my fertility treatment and medications. During my initial consultation with her, she was able to explained the process of ovulation, reproduction, and IVF procedure with me in terms that I can easily understand, as English is not my 1st language. When my 1st cycle of femara did not work as expected she was respectful and help kepted me motivated and hopeful. Love nurse Tori! Nurse practitioner Stephanie is so sweet. She conducted some of my ultrasounds appointments and is very comforting when my results turned out negative. Nurse Lauren is awesome too! She always have a warm personality and calls in my prescriptions so I can pick it up right away. Stephanie, one of the receptionist at the spartanburg office I go to, is the sweetest. She always greets me by name and with a beautiful smile. This is so important because it made me feel like a family member and welcome.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strength: welcoming greetings, clean environment, respectful staff, preserve my privacy, calls me right about my test results or any questions I should have, well educated nurses, works around my work schedule and even stays open during lunch hours, because it is so hard for me to get in due to working 8-5. Weakness: I wish the office would stay open longer on fridays.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
My cost of care was under Dr. Nichols was the fee for HSG testing. It was out of pocket since my insurance do not cover any fertility treatments.
Describe John Nichols's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
None
Spartanburg

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Nichols is a very intelligent and thorough doctor. The only downfall is you only get to see him maybe once a month if you are a patient at a Preg clinic outside of Greenville, SC. I have been told he takes phone appointments but i have not had one so i can't really speak to that. ... Be aware of his schedule of only visiting Columbia once a month. I wish someone would of explained that to me when I first reached out to Preg.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
While visiting Preg is was nice that the nurses and coordinators reminder your name and greet you with a smile. Sometimes, on the busy days it was more rushed and you felt like a number. More so with the doctors and not with nurses.
Protocol was IVF since I previously had 3 unsuccessful IUIs in another clinic in Columbia. However, Dr. Nichols and I talked and wanted to do one more IUI. It was a successful IUI in terms of getting pregnant but unfortunately I miscarried due to a missing chromosome for the fetus.
The nurses and phlebotomist were always kind especially Deborah. She was always compassionate, understanding, and patient with the many questions I asked.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: Clinic was very nice and not a sterile office like some. The nurses and coordinators were nice but sometimes the wait times could be improved. Weaknesses: Show more compassion when the cycle doesn't work and we have questions. We don't do this everyday so we have a lot of questions to ask and are looking for some sort of guidance on a scary and unfamiliar path.
Cost were cheaper than the other leading clinic in Columbia. But that didn't cheapen the service or the experience.

Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
As a patient the first round of IVF cycle I had different dr. for egg retreival, transfer and the ultrasounds [that Dr. John Nichols]. The 2nd time which I am still in the process of I have made sure to raise my questions and concerns and learning experiences from the first round to Dr. Nichols. I have ensured that all of the sessions in the second round has been performed by Dr. Nichols only. The second round so far has been less confusing since Dr. Nichols has explained the planning of egg retreival, but also added the ERA/biopsy testing this time.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
As a patient the first round of IVF cycle I had different dr. for egg retreival, transfer and the ultrasounds. The 2nd time which I am still in the process of I have made sure to raise my questions and concerns and learning experiences from the first round to Dr. Nichols. I have ensured that all of the sessions in the second round has been performed by Dr. Nichols only. The second round so far has been less confusing since Dr. Nichols has explained the planning of egg retreival, but also added the ERA/biopsy testing this time.
Perhaps little bit more of followup. A phone call from one of his nurses or himself would be appreciated after egg retreival, ERA/Biopsy or even embryo transfer.
Dr. Nichols has always been very caring and listens to my concerns and answers the questions I may have.
Egg Retreival protocol: Start Birthcontrol pill: 6/26/2018 (last pill 7/10/2018) Ultrasound/Baseline lab 7/11/2018 Day 1-4 (7/13/2018-7/16/2018) Gonal F = 150 units HCG 15 units Keflex 500 MG (AM & PM) Asprin low dose once daily Day 5-10 (7/17/2018 - 7/22/2018) Labs & Ultrasound on 7/17/2018 Gonal F = 225 units HCG 15 units Keflex 500 MG (AM & PM) Asprin low dose once daily Day 11 (7/23/2018) Lab & Ultrasound Gonal F = 150 units HCG 15 units Keflex 500 MG (AM & PM) Asprin low dose once daily 7/24/2018 Retreival Asprin low dose. No keflex 500 MG in the AM of retreival. ERA/Biopsy/Mock transfer protocol Start Bithcontrol and asprin on 8/6/2018 Last birthcontrol pill on 9/3/2018 Lab & Ultrasound 9/4/2018 Day 1-2 (9/6/2018-9/7/2018 1 - Estradiol 1 mg tablet AM/PM Asprin low dose Day 3-4 (9/8/2018-9/9/2018 2 - Estradiol 1 mg tablet AM/PM Asprin low dose Day 5-19 (9/10/2018-9/24/2018 3 - Estradiol 1 mg tablet AM/PM 1 Estradiol 1 mg tablet vaginally at night Day 15-24 (9/20/2018-9/25/2018 Progesterone in oil 100mg/cc (3/4 cc = 75 mg) IM AM Biopsy/Mock transfer/ERA done on 9/25/2018 Asprin low dose
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Polowczuk (IVF cord.))
excellent staff. very caring and also understanding. However, bedside care should be little better after egg retreival, mock transfer and embryo transfer. A phonecall the day after would be appreciated.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strenghts: Caring staff understanding of patients needs responds to questions/concerns Weakness: Bedside care Always in a hurry The diffferent treatment plans for IVF can be very confusing.Doctor does not give any recommendation to these but rather you have to choose yourself.
18,500 first IVF cycle 13,500 second IVF cycle Mock transfer costs routine costs during 2015-2017 Estimated total: $40,000 Total estimated:
N/A have not reached to that point yet.
Greenville

Dr. Nichols is extremely knowledgeable and very good at explaining what I needed him to explain...Don't expect any beating around the bush...We first tried ovulation inducing pills for a few cycles which did not help. He then recommended either IUI or IVF but the clinic was offering a new procedure called Simply IVF that we decided to try. We had to increase my Menopur dosage a couple times. Unfortunately I did not react well enough to the Menopur and we had to cancel that cycle
Dr. Nichols is extremely knowledgeable and very good at explaining what I needed him to explain. I like that he is very straightforward but still shows empathy when called for. If there is a patient that is highly prone to getting their feelings hurt when told they should or should not pursue certain treatments then I may not recommend Dr. Nichols but if the patient strictly wants a doctor that will do their best to give them the results they want then I would highly recommend Dr. Nichols.
Even if he's giving you information you may not want to hear, he only gives you that information because he feels it will help you in achieving pregnancy. Don't expect any beating around the bush.
He is very, very helpful and knowledgeable about everything I needed to know but was not at all afraid to be blunt if he felt the situation called for it (which it sometimes did).
We first tried ovulation inducing pills for a few cycles which did not help. He then recommended either IUI or IVF but the clinic was offering a new procedure called Simply IVF that we decided to try. We had to increase my Menopur dosage a couple times. Unfortunately I did not react well enough to the Menopur and we had to cancel that cycle. Dr. Nichols recommended then trying regular IVF so that I could be more closely monitored throughout my cycle but my husband and I wanted to try one more round of the Simply IVF instead due to costs. We did the same procedure one more time with a higher dosage of Menopur starting out and I still was not reacting as quickly as we hoped and we increased my dosage even more as we neared ovulation. We only got a couple follicles near the correct size, retrieved one egg, did IPSI and unfortunately that egg did not fertilize.
They were all SO kind and helpful with any questions or concerns I had. They always treated me like a friend and not just like a patient.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I just love this clinic and believe they're so good at what they do. I was concerned when starting this journey that there may be clinics that just recommended the highest cost procedures or treated their patients cold at such a difficult time but I found the exact opposite with this clinic. I hope that one day we'll be able to send them a picture of our baby to hang on their bulletin boards!
Simply IVF: $6000 Simply IVF Medications: $2000-$3000 each cycle, but I needed much more Menopur than most women do Femara: Covered by Insurance Birth Control Pills (to regulate before IVF): covered by insurance Consultations: $180 HCG: $500 Polyp Removals: I don't remember how much the first polyp removal was but the second polyp was removed during my egg retrieval so it was not an extra charge ICSI was also done at no charge because they were only able to retrieve one egg and they wanted to give it the best chance for fertilization.
We never got the opportunity to transfer any embryos but Dr. Nichols does highly recommend, depending on the age and health of the patient, doing single embryo transfer.

Anovulation, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr. Nichols is very personable and attentive to mine and my husbands needs. He was very thorough with his education to us making sure we fully understood the process and steps we have taken and will be taking....We started out having my husband tested first to make sure he is treating the correct person. Then he wanted to do unltrasounds at time of ovulation to see if I ovulated on my own. When that was identified, I was given ovulation medications to take during days 3-7 of my cycle.
Anovulation, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Be patient. Sometimes things don't happen on our time but God's time.
He always rederred to me by my name. He asks questions on how my husband and I are doing related to other daily activities and not just about fertility.
We started out having my husband tested first to make sure he is treating the correct person. Then he wanted to do unltrasounds at time of ovulation to see if I ovulated on my own. When that was identified, I was given ovulation medications to take during days 3-7 of my cycle. That was followed up by another ultrasound to see if I had response. When I didn't respond, the medications were increased the next cycle with ultrasound and labs to determine if I responded. I am currently on my 4th cycle of ovulation medications with positive ovulations but no pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Megen)
Megen is very personable, receptive to my comments, and overall wants whats best for me and my husband. She has answered all questions I have had without judgement. She has made sure I understood exactly what was going on and what to expect.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
All staff that I have interacted with have been nice, cordial and addressed me by name. I had asked for further information on IVF and if my insurance would halp pay, but all I was told was insurance would not cover any. No follow up with me on other financial support has been pro ided. Its like they figured I wouldnt want more information.
$40 co pay for every visit.
Greenville

It was our very first time at a fertility clinic. We were very nervous and had no idea what to expect, however, Dr. Nichols was wonderful at explaining exactly what was going to happen next. He gave us realistic expectations and helped us develop a plan that we felt comfortable with. He also did a complete evaluation to get more information on what was going on with our bodies and why we couldn’t get pregnant. He didn’t jump to conclusions without the proper testing. He was great at communication or results and gave us several different options for treatment.
Be honest. Go into the visit and explain exactly how you are feeling and what you are expecting. Dr. Nichols will be very upfront with you and he will be honest with you. He doesn’t give you unrealistic expectations, instead he provides you with facts and educates you about what options you have and provides you with the statistics for success. We always felt comfortable leaving and knowing what to expect.
Dr.Nichols was great at explaining all aspects of fertility and infertility in a way that anyone could understand. He showed us pictures and thoroughly explained testing and procedures. He asked us for our thoughts and how we were feeling about everything he explained to us. He gave us different options and let us make the decision with all of the information he provided. He made sure that we knew exactly what to expect.
After two years of tryin to conceive, we decided to see Dr. Nichols. He completed a full diagnostic testing to see if he could find a possible reason to why we couldn’t get pregnant. He ran bloodwork, semen analysists, and also did an HSG procedure to check my Fallopian tubes. After the results came back, we got the diagnosis of unexplained infertility. There was no obvious reason they could find as to why we weren’t getting pregnant. He created a treatment plan that my husband and I felt comfortable with. We decided to try femera, the ovidrel shot, and timed intercourse. The cycle we were suppose to start the treatment, we actually found out we were pregnant.
The nursin staff and the lab staff were amazing. They recognized us every time we walked into the office and they remembered little things about us. They celebrated with us as we went back in for bloodwork after the positive urine test.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We liked everything about this clinic except sometimes it was hard to get someone in the phone from the Greenville clinic. Often the Columbia clinic or Asheville clinic would try to connect us on the phone.
We didn’t hve insurance so we paid out of pocket for everything, however, they were aware of that and only ordered the necessary testing.l and helped us get good pricing on medications.
Greenville

Dr. Nichols is a very good communicator and listener he also shows compassion. While going over my husbands semen analysis test with us (which was not good) he explained all our options and the different steps he would like to do to try and help us be able to conceive using my husbands sperm. Instead of just going straight to donor sperm he is trying to do what he can so we can avoid donor. He didn't give up on us and that means so much!! He knows its important to us to be able to use my husbands sperm so he is going to let him do hcg shots to see if that can improve his count. I do not have anything bad to say about Dr.Nichols because he has always been excellent every time we've seen him.
Be straight forward with what you want and he will do everything he can to make that happen.
Dr.Nichols plus his staff are absolutely amazing! They never rush us during our appointments and always make sure they answer any questions we have. They remember who we are and call us by name when they see us. I couldn't ask for a better place to go to help my husband and I during this stressful time.
I love that the nurses dont treat you like you're just another patient that they're seeing. They treat you like family and it makes the stress of the situation not feel so bad. When we go 90% of the nurses have smiles on their faces. The only negative thing I could say is that a few of the nurses that check you out could be a little more friendly and welcoming.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff is very nice and understanding. The office and the rooms are always clean and the waiting room always smells good. It is a easy location to get to and the suite is easy to find also. Im always taken back to be seen in less than 10 minutes.
So far with my treatment its basically been blood work which runs me around $300. I had to have a ultra sound and dye ran into my uterus which I paid out of pocket $750. I had to have a polyp removed in the Greenville office and that was $475. The HCG shots my husband is going to start taking is going to be $320 a month.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Nichols made me feel excited about our plan with real expectations. He gives the facts and does what is best for our journey. He really does what he can to help in anyway. Although our first cycle was not a success, I would not prefer anyone else to handle my care. He is a great doctor with an abundance of knowledge and I would recommend him to everyone.... Our first cycle with Dr. Nichols was a fairly new process called simply ivf.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Don’t worry! Dr. Nichols will have your best interest at heart and will guide you through the process in the best way.
Dr.Nichols wanted what was best for my husband and I and still does. Looking at every number before the process starts allows him to alter the cycle based on our infertility.
Our first cycle with Dr. Nichols was a fairly new process called simply ivf. After looking at my prior history, recent blood work, ultrasound and my husbands history, semen analysis and blood work, he felt this was a good plan for us along with my own interest. The process is very controlled and monitored throughout with blood work and ultrasounds to make sure we are at an optimum for a retrieval. If my follicles were not at an optimum state for retrieval we kept going until they were with more days of medicine to get them there. We had a good number of mature eggs for retrieval however my husbands sperm were not able to fertilize my eggs properly making my number of embryos low. We transferred the one good embryo we had and ended with a chemical pregnancy. I agree with every decision made throughout the process and wouldn’t have changed the way the process went. If there is a failed treatment, the doctors come together to talk about a plan of action to get the best result moving forward. I agree with every decision and plan made for our journey.
All of the nurses were great throughout the process. Several were in charge of my care but felt I comfortable with all. They were compassionate and helpful with any questions.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG is always prompt with appointments and emailing or calling back. I never had to wait! I was able to work with my schedule for appointment times. Financial department was very informative and helpful with everything. I cannot complain about this clinic.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Monitoring appointments worked perfect with my schedule and I have a full time job. I never had to wait. I never felt like I was rushed. Very efficient office.
Simply ivf cost a standard $5000 plus $1000-$2000 of medicine. That covered monitoring appointments, retrieval, transfer, freezing etc. Stephanie in the financial department was amazing with helping me understand and went above and beyond to break everything down. VERY HELPFUL!!!
Dr. Nichols does recommend a single embryo transfer is most cases, however will consider all things to allow he best option for the best outcome. I agree with his approach.
Greenville

Dr. Nichols is very good at relating your individual condition with statics. He has a neutral way of communicating and helping one understand their condition what could take place after treatment begins....Be prepared for no nonsense and no sugar coated communication. Dr. Nichols will guide you through everything, but you have to be willing to let him do so....Dr. Nichols can be blunt at times, but you know he is only trying to convey all of the possible outcomes-- the good, the bad and the ugly.
Dr. Nichols can be blunt at times, but you know he is only trying to convey all of the possible outcomes-- the good, the bad and the ugly. We all know that IVF has all of the above!! At one time, Dr. Nichols was especially compassionate when I broke down while talking about having to ask another woman to carry my child. I always look forward to my visits because I feel I am being treated and cared for by a very knowledgeable doctor.
Dr. Nichols is very good at relating your individual condition with statics. He has a neutral way of communicating and helping one understand their condition what could take place after treatment begins. He is stern but caring, and you know when you leave that he knew exactly which patient he was working with and has a plan for you as an individual/couple.
I will be taking birth control to start followed by Menopur and Lupron. I have not actually started the meds yet so I feel I cannot give much insight on this at this time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey Forbes)
The staff at PREG are amazing!! That may sound cliche, but the first RE's office we visited could not hold a candle to them! We love going to our appointments because they are prepared for us. They have our files out ready and waiting for when we walk in the door! Each and every person that we have come in contact with from the front desk staff to Dr. Nichols himself have been wonderful! It's a warm and inviting atmosphere, and that is so very important when you are going through somethings so emotionally and physically involved.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic as a whole is 100% spot on. Every employee is very friendly and prepared for you when you come in. I always follow up to make sure that things have been followed through with, i.e. payments documented, appts scheduled, etc., but I really feel they don't need any checking up on! They're really great!
We are using the Simply IVF method, and I know the promotional rate that we were given is no longer available, but it is still just have the cost of traditional IVF-- between 5,000 and 6,000. Of course, we will have to use our gestational carrier for the transfer, and this will be an additional $8000 plus her medications.
This office does allow you to chose whether you want to implant one or two embryos-- not more than two, but they do recommend only transferring one.
Asheville

Dr. Nichols used the Pre Univfy report to help determine the best options for fertility care. He went over the report and started with the basic treatment of clomid with ovidrel shot and timed intercourse. After two timed intercourse treatments failed, we then moved into the clomid/ovidrel/IUI treatment process. After two of those failed treatments and a year of trying to conceive, we met back with Dr. Nichols to discuss possible IVF treatments. During most of this time, treatment options and treatment procedures were carried out by nursing staff.
Dr. Nichols is very thorough with his explanations and answers all questions. Sometimes he goes a little too fast with all the information. As with any doctor's office, you have to be your own advocate and ask questions if you don't understand certain process/procedures. The whole fertility treatment process can be very overwhelming, and he is very helpful and knowledgeable.
Make sure you ask questions about anything you don't understand. He goes very fast with the information, and it can be a little overwhelming. Also, be aware that he doesn't do all the procedures himself. A lot of patient care and treatments are carried out by the nursing staff even though you pay co-pays as if you are seeing a specialist.
Dr. Nichols and his staff are always friendly and willing to help you with anything you need. Any time you call with a question or concern, they are always helpful and get back to you in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Makayla)
Every nurse and care coordinator that I came into contact with was always friendly, welcoming, and willing to help me in any way possible. Makayla, the nurse who has mainly been responsible for my care plan, has been outstanding. She has answered all my questions and been a great support during the treatments. The nurses taking care of my treatments have seemed very knowledgeable in every process.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths are how well they help you plan and how fast they follow-up with any questions or concerns. A new patient would need to know that they will have to be flexible with schedule times. All of the treatments are scheduled on specific days, so if you work, you will need to possibly take time off for certain treatments. Sometimes, it's a hardship that the Asheville clinic is only open half a day on Fridays.
My insurance does not pay for many of the treatments at PREG. However, they did provide me with a Compassionate Care card to help save on ovidrel shots. They also have provided me with financing information if I proceed with IVF. Financial data was presented up front after my initial appointment.
Even though he didn't mention "eSET", he did discuss not transferring more than one embryo at a time to prevent multiples.
Greenville

Be prepared to receive news in a “tell it like it is” manner. There’s no sugar coating or interest in getting to know you as a person. He [Dr. Nichols] seems to want to get you in and then out and on to the next patient...The only thing we discussed on the consultation appointment is that I needed to come back and get Cycle day 3 blood work done to make some determinations...The doctors bedside manner needs work. He seemed very rushed and a little disorganized. He could have been a bit more gentle with his delivery of words. He did not seem terribly concerned with me as a patient.
The doctor did not seem very concerned about me as a patient. He does not have a gentle manner with the way he communicates. I can say he was definitely a straight-shooter with what he had to tell me as far as my chances being lower of becoming pregnant due to age. I did appreciate him being candid and honest, but I feel a doctor should always be compassionate and show a genuine caring interest in his patients.
Be prepared to receive news in a “tell it like it is” manner. There’s no sugar coating or interest in getting to know you as a person. He seems to want to get you in and then out and on to the next patient.
They were friendly and seemed caring, although they seemed VERY disorganized. They would call me to come back, then send me back to the front again while they sorted out a few things. It’s unprofessional and embarrassing really, seeing a staff being disorganized.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
It’s very clean looking and visually appealing on the inside on the front end. From the outside, it looks like an old Rite Aid or CVS converted into a clinic. The front end staff was very friendly and caring. The nurse who took my vitals was very loud and does not respect patient privacy.
Columbia
First, he recommended that my spouse see a doctor at the clinic so that we could get his count in a good place (great results and increase in count, motility, etc.) While my husband was going working on his side of things, Dr. Nichols made sure I was getting started with everything I needed to do for myself (prenatal vitamins, metformin, blood work, femara, etc). My follicle scans were planned and I responded favorably each time, which made me feel great.
Dr. Nichols always provided me with all of the information I needed to make the best decisions regarding my course of treatment. He did not sugar coat anything or give me false hope and I appreciated his candidness. He also told me that sometimes all things can be in line and look great and it still just doesn't happen, but that doesn't mean it won't in the future.
I would say tell him your desires and then listen with an open mind as he goes over your test results with you and what he thinks might be the best choice for you as far as treatments go. He is so knowledgeable and I so appreciated his wisdom and expertise as I entered a world that I previously knew nothing about. It's a scary experience - but he makes it not so scary and easier to navigate.
Dr. Nichols always treated me like a human, not just a numbered patient. There was a personal aspect to all of our interactions and I appreciated the fact that he always greeted me by name, asked how I was, and gave me genuine information to help me made the best decisions.
I want to single out Meghan because she was so wonderful to me throughout my IUI treatments. I called multiple times with questions that would come up and she was always so responsive and kind in her replies and answers. I felt like she truly cared about me and my results. She showed compassion during visits when she was my nurse, and made me feel less afraid and disheartened.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
As far as strengths go, I feel like PREG is above and beyond when it comes to modern treatments and is a leader in reproductive health and education. I truly feel like it's the place to go when you want help to reach your dream of having children. The main weakness would be communication. There were a couple of times when I did not get a call back and had to call again a day or two later because I did not ever hear back. When timing is so important in this journey, I feel like communication should be a priority. I had great responses using the online chat feature though. Some nurses and staff members are more compassionate than others, but overall I am pleased with the treatment I have received.
Insurance did not cover any fertility treatments for me, so all of my expenses are out of pocket. It is quite expensive, but I was aware that fertility treatments are costly.
I did not participate in any of this.
Greenville

Dr Nichols was straightforward with us, gave us the facts and our options, and the likelihood of those options working. He never made us feel rushed during our appointments and explained everything thoroughly. We felt very lucky to have had him as our doctor. ... . Once it was time to decide on a course of action, he clearly laid out our different options and the success rates of each of those options.
Dr Nichols explained the results of all of our testing thoroughly and in ways we could clearly understand. Once it was time to decide on a course of action, he clearly laid out our different options and the success rates of each of those options. When our first embryo transfer failed he gave us a few options moving forward and didn’t push us to go a specific way, he just laid out the options and left it up to us to decide. Our second transfer was successful and we now have a beautiful baby boy.
Ask a lot of questions and trust in his medical expertise.
We didn’t do a fresh transfer because we wanted to do genetic testing on our embryos. After testing we were left with 7 frozen embryos. Our first cycle I was on 7 estrogen pills a day, 6 oral and 1 vaginal, and .5cc of PIO. That cycle failed even though my lining and hormone levels were all excellent. The second FET cycle we did Dr Nichols advised us to do a scraping of the uterine lining to promote new cell growth so we did that. My progesterone was a little low so in addition to the 7 estrogen pills a day, he upped my PIO dosage to 1cc and I was also on a progesterone suppository. That cycle resulted in a live birth.
Kelsey was amazing. She’s the kind of nurse I always wish to have. She answered all of our questions, never left us waiting during our appointmentments, and was always super friendly.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic in Asheville was small, though I think they moved locations since we last went. It was always clean and the staff friendly. We never had to wait long for our appointments and any questions we thought of after leaving were answered promptly by phone or email.
Egg retrieval through the first pregnancy test was around $15,000. The second FET was $3000 not including the cost of medications. We paid for everything out of pocket.
Dr Nichols advised us to transfer one embryo at a time. My only issue was tubal blockage so he seemed pretty confident that we wouldn’t have any issues getting pregnant by FET. He advised that transferring multiple embryos could result in a multiple birth which is higher risk. We opted to only do a single embryo for each transfer because of his advice.
Asheville

I wanted tubal reversal, and thought maybe we were going that route. But by my next visit, he [Dr. John Nichols] strongly suggested IVF. I wish he would have elaborated more on why he didn't want to do a tubal reversal on me. It is like everything shifted, on my next visit. I know it was a few months after my initial work up, but I felt & still feel like I still have a chance with tubal reversal. He was excellent with my ultrasound though. He also explains things very well despite his being blunt. I can deal with that.
I wanted tubal reversal, and thought maybe we were going that route. But by my next visit, he strongly suggested IVF. I wish he would have elaborated more on why he didn't want to do a tubal reversal on me. It is like everything shifted, on my next visit. I know it was a few months after my initial work up, but I felt & still feel like I still have a chance with tubal reversal. He was excellent with my ultrasound though. He also explains things very well despite his being blunt. I can deal with that.
Know that he is smart, yet blunt. My only hang up is that he just didn't want to really hear about doing a tubal reversal by the second visit with me. My situation was a little different. My husband (fiancé at the time) was working in Maryland, and we didn't want to actually do a lot until he moved to SC. But by this time, like I mentioned earlier, Dr. Nichols didn't want to do a tubal reversal on me.
For the most part, I felt like a human. He is, however, very blunt.
I didn't make it to any treatments. I only had an ultrasound. He was excellent at the Ultrasound.
Everyone I came in contact with was extremely friendly and professional.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: Courteous, calm, professional, they followed up with any requests I had. I met with a lady in the back (I cannot remember her name at present), but she was very understanding and told us about options as far as payment plans/options. She also shared with us that she had IVF. She went into detail about how sometimes the hormones have certain side effects, but it was well worth it bc she has her child now. Weaknesses: None that I can think of at the moment.
Some of my labs and I think my ultrasound was covered under insurance. I believe everything else was out of pocket.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
As a patient, I felt that Dr Nichols was with us 100% of the way. I felt that I was the most important and only patient he was treating, even though I knew I wasn't. ... My chances of getting pregnant at 43 and way overweight, weren't great, and Dr Nichols told me that in a very friendly way. I felt that he and I connected right then because he could see and hear how badly I wanted a child and he treated me like I needed to know the facts, and I needed a doctor who would be there for me. He and his team were wonderful.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
As a patient, I felt that Dr Nichols was with us 100% of the way. I felt that I was the most important and only patient he was treating, even though I knew I wasn't. The entire IVF journey is very emotional and having Dr. Nichols as my doctor, I really lucked out.
He will tell you the truth, and not sugar coat it. But he's not being abrupt, he's telling you what you need to hear and not what you always want to hear. You need a doctor that in on your side like Dr. Nichols, because he really is wanting to help.
We scheduled a consult with him before we committed to anything. My chances of getting pregnant at 43 and way overweight, weren't great, and Dr Nichols told me that in a very friendly way. I felt that he and I connected right then because he could see and hear how badly I wanted a child and he treated me like I needed to know the facts, and I needed a doctor who would be there for me. He and his team were wonderful.
I had lots of shots and lots of medicine. I know I had Clomid, and I can't recall the name of everything. Did one embryo transfer and it was unsuccessful. Dr Nichols adjusted the medications. We then did 2 embryo transfers and resulted in pregnancy with one.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: I don't recall names, but I had a few)
The staff was fantastic. I highly recommend this clinic.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Everyone is very friendly and wonderful to be around. From the person who signs you in to the person at check out, every person is smiling, saying hello to you and shows compassion when they can see that you need it.
It was expensive, but it was expected. I can't recall the exact cost, but I had seen a doctor in Colorado and the Colorado doctor was way more expensive and she was all about the money.
He told me all the facts and let me decide.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Nichols was very honest and very caring during my treatments. With Diminished Ovarian Reserve the prognosis of having a baby was slim. Dr. Nichols allowed me to choose to continue the IVF, even though he thought our chances were only 10%. He not only helped create one baby - but twins with one egg!!... Dr. Nichols is a very knowledgeable and compassionate doctor of infertility. He thoroughly explained my situation and grim outlook on becoming pregnant. However, grim the outlook- Dr. Nichols allowed us to try IVF to conceive.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Nichols is a very knowledgeable and compassionate doctor of infertility. He thoroughly explained my situation and grim outlook on becoming pregnant. However, grim the outlook- Dr. Nichols allowed us to try IVF to conceive. I have DOR and only produced 6 eggs the last cycle. 3 were retrieved and one was transferred. We ended up pregnant with twins. I am so grateful that Dr. Nichols allowed us the opportunity to help in the decision to try to conceive. He was very straight-forward in my diagnosis and prognosis. Yet when we decided to try, he did everything in his power to help us be successful in becoming pregnant.
Trust him. He knows what he is doing.
My treatment strategies were IVF without birth control for stimulation because of DOR. unfortunately don't remember the medicines used.
The nursing staff was excellent, caring and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is very together. They handled all my needs effectively and efficiently. T Staff was very friendly. The clinic has all the necessary lab equipment there, so you didn't have to go other places to get labs done. They were even there on Saturdays and Sundays if needed.
Cost was reasonable. Medication, which they have not control over, was very expensive.
Because we only harvested 3 eggs, and because of my DOR Dr. Nichols was open to transfer more embryos. Only one embryo made it to day 5 and was transferred.

3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Nichols has been a great doctor. I was previously at another clinic and one of the first things I noticed here is that I actually get to see my assigned doctor quite a bit. I feel he is familiar with my situation. He takes time to answer all of my questions and even came in on a day he was not scheduled to work to perform an unexpected surgery. He is open to hearing my suggestions and feedback as well.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
You will get good medical care but you will also feel like you are more than a number, which is very important.
I had previously come from a large fertility center in Atlanta where I was just a number to most of the staff. Coming here, I felt that the clinic was small enough that everyone knew who I was. That includes everyone from front desk staff all the way up to my assigned doctor. I can get questions answered quickly because the staff is friendly and is familiar with me as a patient.
I first had an antagonist protocol using gonal-f and low dose HCG. I transferred 1 embryo fresh, it led to a chemical pregnancy. We PGS tested and transferred one of the tested embryos. That led to an ectopic pregnancy. We then went into our 2nd retrieval, again using an antagonist protocol with gonal-f and low dose HCG. This time at higher doses of gonal-f.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay)
I cannot say enough good things about the staff at PREG. From my very first phone call inquiring about the practice, to now having gone through a year of treatment, they have been an absolute blessing. The staff at my previous clinic were cold and robotic, and nothing could be further from the truth here. I love that I have the ability to reach my nurse via phone at most times without having to leave a message and wait for a call back. Emails are returned promptly. Scheduling is easy as my nurse is able to do that as well. The nursing staff that draws blood and the nurses who are in the room during ultrasounds, egg retrievals, and transfers are all so warm and caring. They actually know who I am and remember me when I come back in for my next visit. I drive out of state for treatment at PREG and the staff is definitely one of the reasons that it's worth it.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG is a smaller clinic. I personally have loved this because I get a lot of personalized attention and have easy access to my doctor and nurse. They also have great people on staff who are warm and caring. On the occasions when I don't see my doctor, I am typically seen by one of the other doctors (Dr. Payne). At my old clinic, it was not uncommon to just see a nurse or a nurse practitioner. I like that I am typically seen by a physician here. I also have to say that Dr. Payne is an amazing doctor as well and I feel just as comfortable with him as I do with Dr. Nichols.
the cost for IVF at PREG was significantly lower than at clinics in Atlanta
My doctor was willing to transfer more than one embryo, but suggested one, especially once we had PGS tested. My husband and I agreed with his recommendation.

2013 - 2016
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Dr. Nichols seemed to genuinely care for my health and pregnancy...He was very straight forward with me about my endometriosis, age, and possibility of getting pregnant naturally. He advised me that IVF was best in my case and I should not waste time or money on another round of clomid or trying IUI. He believed they would not be successful. I had surgery under his care as well for my endometriosis. When I had an issue post-op I was able to call him at home and he met us at the hospital.
2013 - 2016
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Dr. NIichols was very caring and compassionate. He was very straight forward with me about my endometriosis, age, and possibility of getting pregnant naturally. He advised me that IVF was best in my case and I should not waste time or money on another round of clomid or trying IUI. He believed they would not be successful. I had surgery under his care as well for my endometriosis. When I had an issue post-op I was able to call him at home and he met us at the hospital. He worked with me as far as time frame for the IVF so that I could utilize the maximum amount of insurance benefits before the end of the year. He was concerned for my health and told me not to push forward just because of my benefits if I was not feeling well. That my health and the possibility of overstimulation was more important. He is a great physician and I plan to go back someday for our second miracle baby. He helped us achieve our dream of having a child after trying for 8 years. He is amazing and we will forever be grateful!
Don't give up! Have faith in science, the physicians, and God. It will happen and it is so worth it!
Dr. Nichols seemed to genuinely care for my health and pregnancy.
I cant remember specifically any drugs except for Ovidrel. I was able to have a successful IVF cycle and my son is now 2.
She was genuine and explained everything to me thoroughly.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The only weakness of the clinic is the lady who sits at the front. She is not very friendly. She usually does the checkout in the greenville office. Everyone else was nice and helpful. She seems to not enjoy her job very much.
Altogether I think it was about $14,000. I had a payment upfront and then the rest was due on transfer day.
I am glad that I was only able to have 1 embryo transferred. I don't know what I would have done with multiples. My insurance also had stipulations about the number tranferred.
Greenville

Dr. Nichols wanted to hear what other doctors have done or not done then he explained to me the different options that he could do for me to help me achieve my goal of having a baby. Then he asked me were I felt comfortable starting and how many times we would like to try that option before deciding to move on to the next option.... I have PCOS so he started me on metformin I think 2,000 mg a day and Provera to help start my period and when I started my period I would call in and the nurse would call Clomid in to the pharmacy and tell me what day to take it and when to check for ovulation and when to come in for ultrasounds and when to have intercourse or when to come in for the IUI.
Dr. Nichols wanted to hear what other doctors have done or not done then he explained to me the different options that he could do for me to help me achieve my goal of having a baby. Then he asked me were I felt comfortable starting and how many times we would like to try that option before deciding to move on to the next option. He made me very comfortable and I completely trusted everything he said he knows what he’s talking about. He was the first doctor that I’ve seen that took the time to listen to me and value my opinion.
He is amazing and he wants nothing more than you to end up with your miracle baby at the end of everything and he will do everything in his power to help you.
Well I have PCOS so he started me on metformin I think 2,000 mg a day and Provera to help start my period and when I started my period I would call in and the nurse would call Clomid in to the pharmacy and tell me what day to take it and when to check for ovulation and when to come in for ultrasounds and when to have intercourse or when to come in for the IUI. The first couple times the clomid wasn’t helping so he upped my dose and I also did gonal-f and it helped we did IUI with donor sperm my choice to try and better my odds of conceiving. It unfortunately did not work either. I decided to take a break and think of my next options and I really feel like IVF is the next best option.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Biggerstaff )
Everyone in both Preg offices are amazing and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
There offices are amazingly beautiful, clean and welcoming. I love seeing pictures on the walls of previous miracle babies conceived with help of the amazing staff at PREG. The rooms are nicer then most doctors office rooms they really try to make you as comfortable as possible.
The I Ovadril shots were not to pricey in the office I think maybe $50 for one shot and my insurance covered all but $10 of the clomid and all but $5 for the metformin. The IUI I believe was $550 each try plus I paid $800 for donor sperm.
We never got that far.
Spartanburg

I saw Dr. Nichols for the initial consult, the HSG, and my 2nd IUI. He was respectful and clearly optimistic about my prospects of achieving pregnancy. He initially recommended Clomid due to my history of unsuccessful home inseminations, but he told me it was may choice. I chose to do an unmedicated cycle first, but when that didn't work and my post-ovulation progesterone came back low, I agreed to try Clomid for the 2nd try, which is the one that worked.
Do your own research ahead of time so that he won't have to spend a lot of time going over "the basics" and can focus on your individual situation.
Office staff was friendly and remembered me when I came for follow-up visits. Dr. Nichols listened, took me seriously, and seemed to genuinely care about helping me get pregnant. He could tell I had done a lot of research ahead of time, and he did not question my decision to pursue IUI and a single woman.
He recommended I start with a medicated IUI cycle using Clomid, based on my history of 4 unsuccessful home inseminations, but he made it clear that it was my choice whether or not to use medication. I chose not to use Clomid for my first IUI, but I did use a trigger shot. When that cycle didn't work, I agreed to a prescription for 50mg Clomid to take cycle days 3-7, and that IUI resulted in my daughter.
The nurses were mostly nice and helpful. One nurse was somewhat negative when doing my follicle scan for the medicated cycle, as she seemed disappointed that I only had one mature follicle with two smaller ones. I was happy with those results, however, because I had been concerned about the risk of multiples.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I loved the intimacy of the Spartanburg office, and it was an easy drive from where I live. My only complaint is that I couldn't do the IUI's there (because I was using donor sperm, and they could only store that at the Greenville office).
My insurance covered all office visits (consult, blood work, HSG, IUIs, and ultrasounds) with a copay. I had to pay out-of-pocket for sperm processing, which I think was $100, and for the trigger shot, which was $50 each time.

2011 - 2012
Dr. Nichols was the first doctor that I saw at PREG, but I ended up switching to a different doctor later because I liked him better. I felt that Dr. Nichols did not have a great bedside manner and did not always say things in a caring and compassionate way. However he is a very skilled doctor and he did do both of the transfers that were successful.... I wouldn't exactly say I was treated like a number, but I didn't feel like he had a very good bedside manner.
2011 - 2012
I would recommend seeing Dr. Payne instead.
The cycle that I was a patient of Dr. Nichols was a full cycle. I don't remember exact doses but I can give the drugs that were used. Birth control first, then Lupron to shut down the ovaries. Then I took Gonal-F, estrogen patches, and progesterone shots. Doses of the Gonal-F were increased as needed after each monitoring appointment. I did really well with this protocol as it resulted in our first son!
The staff at PREG's Spartanburg office are very caring and compassionate! I have been a patient there since 2011, and the faces have changed. Like the primary nurse when I did my first cycle had retired by the time I went back to try for our second child. But I have never received anything but the best care.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I highly recommend PREG to anyone dealing with infertility. The staff is very compassionate. My phone calls or emails have always been returned promptly, usually the same day. I especially love nurse Stephanie at the Spartanburg office. She and the rest of the staff really go the extra mile to make sure you receive the best care!
The monitoring appointments are always first thing in the morning, but they have to do it that way so they can get the blood work to the lab and be able to tell you that day if there will be any changes to your meds. There were usually not very many other people waiting and my wait was not more than 15 minutes.
I believe I paid about $2300 for a full IVF cycle. That didn't include meds. I don't remember exactly how much I paid for those. I had infertility coverage for the medical and the medications.
I don't think my doctor had a preference. I doubt he would have supported transferring more than 2, not that we would have wanted to. We were educated on the risks.

2005 - 2012
Dr. Nichols was absolute the perfect combination of a doctor with great bedside manner and blunt honesty. With each failed pregnancy attempt, before a successful pregnancy, Dr. Nichols would call me to check on me and encourage me. He was simply the best!... Every concern I had Dr. Nichols addressed and ultimately, made me feel better about. It was my favorite thing about him. I trusted his opinion and expertise and I felt confident in each step in my journey.
2005 - 2012
I honestly do not feel like there were any weaknesses to speak of. Every concern I had Dr. Nichols addressed and ultimately, made me feel better about. It was my favorite thing about him. I trusted his opinion and expertise and I felt confident in each step in my journey.
Tell him everything that scares you or concerns you. He really wants to know.
I went through a couple of cycles of ovulation "stimulator" drugs. Then, we did exploratory surgery to confirm that I had endometriosis. Soon after, I went through IUI as failed attempts. After a year of failed pregnancies, we discovered that my endometriosis was just as bas as it was in the beginning. I had another surgery to "clean" me out and then we decided to go straight to In vitro for best results. The first attempt was failed, but we had frozen embryos. The second IVF was performed as soon as possible and it was successful.
It has been so long that I do not remember their names, but I never once felt like I was not cared for. Everyone treated my husband and myself with compassion and concern.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The absolute hardest part was payment. I had excellent insurance and was considered "one of the lucky ones." However, I still had to pay 20% and all of my medications. It was a huge financial strain and sometimes, I did not feel the compassion in the billing department. :)
I do not remember the total....It was too daunting to think about. :) However, my insurance covered 80% of my treatment, otherwise there is no way we could have gone through with IVF. I have a beautiful 16 yr. old because of Dr. Nichols and that 80%.
Greenville

Dr. Nichols was very up front about the tests and procedures and also explained some of the possibilities as to why things were happening. He also explained very thorough anything that was going to be done.... Dr. Nichols is very knowledgeable and has loads of experience. He is very up front and could possibly be too blunt for some individuals, but I would rather a doctor be honest and not sugar coat anything.
Be up front and honest with him and take any advice that he gives you. He is a great doctor.
My husband was prescribed HCG and every 3 days and clomid, 25 mg, due to having no sperm from being on testosterone for several years. I was prescribed Letrozole when my cycles were being monitored. We found that my husbands sperm count soared after being washed so we opted for IUI treatment after the first IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Mikayla and Deborah)
All of the staff at PREG are super nice and great to work with. They are sweet and compassionate people. They feel like family when we are there.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG has several offices in NC and SC and most procedures are done in the office. The staff is great to work with and very friendly and caring. They also get you into appointments as needed and work around your schedule as must as they can.
The costs were pretty reasonable. My insurance was filed for me and if IVF was needed they helped with financing.
We have not discussed embryo transfer yet, but will in the future if this IUI is not successful.
Greenville

Dr Nichols is very compassionate and caring. He explains everything in detail gives us our options and also his honest opinion which helps with decision making. Any questions we have he is more than happy to answer. He goes over next steps very clearly so we know what to expect.... Dr Nichols is very compassionate and caring. He answered all my questions and was very knowledgeable.
To make sure you make a list of all the questions you have and feel free to ask him anything. He is very knowledgeable and explains things very well.
The nursing staff has been wonderful. They are very nice Everytime I call to ask a simple question. When we are at the clinic they are always right there willing to help or answer any questions we may have. They are always smiling and happy to see their patients.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The Drs and nurses are very friendly and helpful every time we are there. They are always ready to greet us when we walk in the office. The clinic is very clean and inviting. The pictures they having hanging on the walls give you hope and the atmosphere is always pleasant.
I have just started seeing Dr Nichols and just recently went over cost for the procedure we are looking at doing. He gave us a detailed list of information about pricing and nutse was able to sit down and talk to us in more depth about the financial part.
Asheville

He [Dr. Nichols] seems very compassionate and explains things clearly. He understands what a trying procedure it is, and never rushes you or pressures you into anything. When I call the clinic with a question, it's not always the doctor that responds, but on our next visit he does follow up with my concerns.... First we ran tests on myself and my husband to eliminate what we could. I had to do several blood tests, ultrasounds, and a dye-scan. I was diagnosed as "unexplained infertility." then we tried Clomid oral tablets and fertility boost injection. Ihad lots of side effects, but did not get pregnant from the first try, so we are upping the dose. This is where we are now.
He seems very compassionate and explains things clearly. He understands what a trying procedure it is, and never rushes you or pressures you into anything. When I call the clinic with a question, it's not always the doctor that responds, but on our next visit he does follow up with my concerns.
Give it time.
He actually takes the time to listen to and address concerns, from both myself and my partner.
Everyone has been very kind and compassionate. They understand what the patients are going through. The phlebotomist was honestly the best I've had in my life : normally I pass out when my blood is drawn, but with her I didn't even feel a thing.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I go to the Asheville branch, so when I need something "bigger" done, I have to drive to the Greenville branch, because our clinic doesn't have things like dye-scan. I'm uninsured, so it can be pricey, though I don't know how it compares to other clinics.
$90 for office visits and small tests like blood and seen. Closer to $300 for scans and ultrasounds.

Anovulation, Unexplained
He [Dr. John Nicols] has been very thorough with explaining everything in detail and always making sure we felt comfortable. I always felt like I was talking to a family member and felt comfortable. He has gone above and beyond with meeting with us about any concerns we have. He is very compassionate and reassured us with any setbacks we had. He kept up my confidence!!
Anovulation, Unexplained
He has been very thorough with explaining everything in detail and always making sure we felt comfortable. I always felt like I was talking to a family member and felt comfortable. He has gone above and beyond with meeting with us about any concerns we have. He is very compassionate and reassured us with any setbacks we had. He kept up my confidence!!
Tell him everything- he will try his best to figure out a solution
Answered any questions we had. Followed up with us regarding concerns and made us feel like family!!
Trying clomid and femaera first before injectables.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Megan Vazant)
Megan- I cannot say enough wonderful things about her- I mean she has been such a blessing!!! I could joke with her and she made me feel completely at ease when some things were uncomfortable. She is the best nurse that I have ever had in my life!!!!!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
weaknesses- did not give us IVF protocol in enough time to research options of buying drugs. We would have saves thousands if not more if we had ample time to research. There was a lot of waiting time at appointments. I would NOT recommend LINDSAY POLOWCZUK- she was one of the nurses that treated us like we were 5 years old and reprimanded us for things. strengths- worked as much as they could with our work schedules.
drugs were very expensive and we should have know what we needed in advance so we could buy cheaper
They suggested we transfer 1 or 2 but not any more

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
He [Dr. Nichols] is very kind and to the point and that’s what I Love about him. Always answers all my questions and is willing to help in any way. A great doctor very caring. He sat me down after my first set of labs and went through and explained each one and what they meant, trying to give me some answers as to all of my losses. I would recommend him highly to anyone struggling with infertility... He started me on femara to induce ovulation,because I had been on clomid for way to long.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
He is very kind and to the point and that’s what I Love about him. Always answers all my questions and is willing to help in any way. A great doctor very caring. He sat me down after my first set of labs and went through and explained each one and what they meant, trying to give me some answers as to all of my losses. I would recommend him highly to anyone struggling with infertility
To listen to his advice and try to do everything he says
He is always very kind and understanding, explains everything in detail and answers all my questions.
He started me on femara to induce ovulation,because I had been on clomid for way to long. Then I come in for a follicle scab on day 11, based on that I will do an hcg trigger shot, then 3 days post ovulation I will start progesterone suppositories to help try and prevent miscarriage. I also am on daily aspirin and metformin due to pcos and pregnancy loss.
They are all so very kind and compassionate. They always call back promptly after leaving messages answers every question in detail, always explain procedures and results
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: very kind offices and compassionate and very tentative. Weakness: I really don’t have any complaints honestly, it would be nice to see the doctor more often but not always necessary. I think this is a great clinic and would refer anyone
Iui:475$ Hcg shot 80$ Ultrasound copay:50$

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Nichols was very pleasant and talked to me like I was a human being. He wasn’t just trying to convince me to do things his way he actually listened.... Was told I had to use donor eggs. Currently trying to find a donor and move forward now. Dr. Nichols explained his recommendations based on his experience but I wanted to try with my own eggs so I saw a different doctor. That didn’t work using my own eggs. So now, we are back seeing Dr. Nichols. He’s a great doctor and the only one I prefer seeing at the clinic as thee others are rude and don’t have good manners.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
We never got to a treatment still in the process of trying to do that. Was told I had to use donor eggs. Currently trying to find a donor and move forward now. Dr. Nichols explained his recommendations based on his experience but I wanted to try with my own eggs so I saw a different doctor. That didn’t work using my own eggs. So now, we are back seeing Dr. Nichols. He’s a great doctor and the only one I prefer seeing at the clinic as thee others are rude and don’t have good manners.
Giving him all of your information and allow him to provide you with his best medical advise.
No treatment has been provided at this time, we are in the process of moving forward.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is nice, Dr. Whitman is a doctor I would not recommend anyone seeing at the clinic. Her bedside manners is horrible, she lacks tact and is rude. Out side of that the staff is good but can be a bit slow with replying to messages and sending back information.
Donor egg cost for one kit is approximately $15,000 - $28,000 and is not covered by insurance. The doctors office cost and procedures are approximately an additional $10,000 - $15,000. Plus medications. Fresh egg cycle with donors are a bit more expensive, approximately an additional $10,000 plus the donors medication and procedure cost.
Columbia

He [Dr. Nichols] took the time to be real with me about my situation. I feel like my previous doctor sugar coated everything which didnt help in a serious situation such as infertility. He really got down to the bottom of my problem to help me.... I was also experiencing excrutiating pain that he was able to diagnose as a block fallopian tube and treat it surgically... He occasionally comes across as blunt and it can seem harsh at times. However, I feel like I needed that from someone by the time I came to see him so it honestly didnt even bother me.
He is very smart and knowledgable. He makes you feel very comfortable with his decision making. I never questioned anything he told me. He speaks with confidence. He occasionally comes across as blunt and it can seem harsh at times. However, I feel like I needed that from someone by the time I came to see him so it honestly didnt even bother me.
Trust him. He knows what hes doing.
He took the time to be real with me about my situation. I feel like my previous doctor sugar coated everything which didnt help in a serious situation such as infertility. He really got down to the bottom of my problem to help me.
I have not pursued treatment for fertility yet but plan on doing so in 2019. After multiple failed treatments from another facility and 3 endometriosis surgeries I came to Dr. Nichols for a 2nd opinion. I was also experiencing excrutiating pain that he was able to diagnose as a block fallopian tube and treat it surgically. We have discussed simply IVF. I feel certain I will need IVF of some sort because of my history with clomid, femara, and even injectables with no success.
Very caring and friendly.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Always on time. Very friendly and compassionate. Very personable. I have not noticed weaknesses. They also are very flexible with your schedule. They get you in as soon as possible. The nurse line always responds in a timely manner. Always impressed.
Not sure
Greenville

He [Dr. Nichols] was very clear and straight forward but at the same time very nice. I could tell he’s really busy, but he was not demeaning or rude unlike other doctors we had interviewed at another clinics. We were very pleased!!... He was quick to come up with a plan of action to rule out any factors causing infertility and then once we ruled out, he quickly devised a plan of action for trying to achieve pregnancy. I appreciated that he never rushed us.
He was straight forward with his method of testing and treatment. We felt confident in his ability and knowledge. He was quick to come up with a plan of action to rule out any factors causing infertility and then once we ruled out, he quickly devised a plan of action for trying to achieve pregnancy. I appreciated that he never rushed us.
He’s not warm and fuzzy, but he’s very smart and good at what he does. he is kind and appears to enjoy his work for his patients.
He was very clear and straight forward but at the same time very nice. I could tell he’s really busy, but he was not demeaning or rude unlike other doctors we had interviewed at another clinics. We were very pleased!!
Blood tests, laparoscopy, HSG, and then IUI with use of letrazole and a hormone trigger shot.
Loved them. Very conscious that infertility is hard. Very knowledgeable and good at their jobs!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I have nothing negative to say... it was a positive experience for us. They made the financial and medical very clear. We met with a counselor when we needed financial information. The nurses were organized and helped us get through beach appt. the IUI was as smooth as it could go. Another doctor did our ultrasounds and he had great bedside manner, which eased our nervousness.
Blood tests, drugs, the IUI, and the ultrasounds
Greenville
He [Dr. Nichols] is a Compassionate, caring, and understanding doctor. He always gave us all our options and what he thought would be best for our situation. He had a great bedside manner. He took the time to explain things when we had questions or didn’t understand something. He was encouraging during the process of our treatmen.... Suggested to attempt iui, after the second failed attempted he suggested ivf but gave the option to try iui one more time.
He is a Compassionate, caring, and understanding doctor. He always gave us all our options and what he thought would be best for our situation. He had a great bedside manner. He took the time to explain things when we had questions or didn’t understand something. He was encouraging during the process of our treatmen.
A great fertility doctor, very educated in fertility treatments
The doctors at Preg always went out of their way to listen to you, give advice, provide excellent care, and take the time for each of their patients. It always felt like a family when being cared for at Preg
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey)
The nurses at Preg were great communicators. They were caring and compassionate. Always did a great job explaining medications and procedures. Performed their task in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Great clinic. Small but easy to find. When calling the clinic always easy to speak with someone. Always clean. Did a great job at providing privacy. At each appointment theWaiting time was appropriate.
While doing fertility treatment insurance did not cover the treatments. Each iui was 400 dollars, not counting the medications, between medications and the ivf treatment it was about 20,000 to 25,000 dollars. We spent the extra money to get the embryos tested and we are glad we did considering we only had one perfect little miracle out of 4 good embryos.
Asheville
Dr. Nichols is brilliant at what he does. He is on the "blunt" side of explanations, but he is thorough and makes sure there is complete understanding. He is a busy man, but he does take time to get to know you specifically in order to best treat you.... For all three cycles we used Femara 7.5mg along with Gonal-F injections and HCG trigger shots. I unfortunately did not ovulate on any of the cycles, even when we upped dosages on the injections.
Know yourself! Have a full history ready when you go for your first appointment. And also to be ready for some hard truths at times, but know that they are necessary!
He was very personal and professional at the same time. He never made me feel like my specific issues didn't matter or were "just a number".
The nursing staff are wonderful! They are so compassionate and patient. They are also very knowledgeable and can explain rationale over again if need be.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic in Asheville is smaller, but nice! They are unable to do some procedures at this clinic and therefore offer those procedures in either the hospital near by (which is way more expensive) or in their Greenville/Spartanburg office which is a little drive away. Also, Dr. Nichols travels between the offices and is currently only at the Asheville clinic on Wednesdays.
Unfortunately my insurance did not cover any costs at PREG, however my husbands insurance covered some of the appointments/treatments/ultrasounds. Otherwise, we would have paid $400+ a visit.

2012 - 2014
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
When my transfer was unable to happen due to hyper stimulation- I produced 40 follicles- Dr. Nichols was very kind and compassionate. He was very sympathetic and I felt as though he was disappointed with me.... Dr. Nicholas was the main reason I stayed at PREG. I felt as though he was extremely knowledgeable and compassionate. He presented all the information to be with clear and kind language. He also fought for us when insurance denied our claim for embryo transfer.
2012 - 2014
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Nichols will be there for you every step of the way.
After 3 failed IUI cycles, we decided to try IVF. We used a regular dose of fertility medications since it was my first time. Unfortunately I hyper stimulated and produced too many follicles.
Some nurses were wonderful, but others I felt very rushed, as if I was not important.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I had a successful pregnancy so I can say that is a strength. However, several nurses were not very friendly. The financial department over charged me for my embryo transfer, even after insurance had paid them. If I had not sat down and gone through every charge line by line, they never would have found the error. My cost went from $6,000 down to $1,000 because of this error. It was very frustrating and disappointing. I felt as though they would have taken my money and not thought anything of it.
I paid approximately $10,000 and my insurance DID cover IVF.
Greenville

Dr Nichols was very helpful. He made sure my husband and myself understood my condition. His first priority is my health first. He wants to make sure I’m healed and healthy.... He explained each test. Once all the test were completed he explained our next procedure. He was very honest and open with me. My results from my test showed I had a lot of scar tissue. He performed surgery and it went well. He was very informative. He went over every detail with us. I trust him and I would recommend him to all my friends and family. We are still working on our plan but I trust that he will help us become parents again.
My first visit was a consultation. He asked basic information and went over my health history. He let me know what test needed to be done and when. He explained each test. Once all the test were completed he explained our next procedure. He was very honest and open with me. My results from my test showed I had a lot of scar tissue. He performed surgery and it went well. He was very informative. He went over every detail with us. I trust him and I would recommend him to all my friends and family. We are still working on our plan but I trust that he will help us become parents again.
Trust him. He is very good and knows his work
Very friendly. Anytime I call they are so helpful.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
My first appointment with them they provided me with all the paper work before I arrived. I never had to wait long. They are always nice and organized. Anytime I call they are always pleasant. If i have to leave a message they always get back to me within the same day.
They were very helpful. I always knew how much to expect when I had an appointment.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
My doctor [Dr. John Nichols] was very direct and to the point. He did explain our future needs or possible paths needed (IVF). He was very familiar with all my losses and record information. Each visit was relatively short and to the point, but very informative.... I was forst put on chlomid and had a allergic reaction. I was later put on Letrizol for 3 more consecutive months. I cannot remember the dosage but for cycle days 3-7. All cycles we're evaluated and none were a result in pregnancy. We attempted to concieve naturally with help of Letrizol.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
My doctor was very direct and to the point. He did explain our future needs or possible paths needed (IVF). He was very familiar with all my losses and record information. Each visit was relatively short and to the point, but very informative.
Do your research and know/learn your body and cycles.
Staff was always friendly and available. They listened when needed and gave many hugs!!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Karen, Heather)
Very compassionate, informative, and easy to talk too.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Staff friendly, clean environment. Wish had further testing ? Checked hormones? Or had answered to my fertility issues. I'm sure age but wish was more I could have done. A way to increase my progesterone levels, hormone balance etc... I was told to go straight to IVF...
My cost were affordable after insurance. My main cost were for blood work, ultrasounds, medication, office visit. I simply can't afford needed IVF.
Asheville

I truely felt like he [Dr. Nichols] cared about our situation even though I know he has a lot of patients he sees everyday. I felt like he was going to do everything possible to help us grow our family. He did a good job answering our questions and explaining different options.... His bed side manor was excellent and even though I know he deals with couples trying to grow their families on a daily basis I still felt he cared about my husband and I and not just another patient.
I truely felt like he cared about our situation even though I know he has a lot of patients he sees everyday. I felt like he was going to do everything possible to help us grow our family. He did a good job answering our questions and explaining different options.
Schedule a consultation appointment ASAP.
Personal consultation and follow up visits. His bed side manor was excellent and even though I know he deals with couples trying to grow their families on a daily basis I still felt he cared about my husband and I and not just another patient.
Started out with injections (3 cycles) and due to age and time and insurance and our infertility diagnosis we are moving towards IVF.
Upbeat, friendly and very knowledgeable
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The Wait time for each visit has been very short and appointment availability has been great. I would recommend anyone and call for a consultation appointment ASAP. I will be able to give more information once we start and go through our IVF cycle.
Consultation appointment cost, day 12 follicle scan, follow up blood work, X-ray scan
Greenville

He [Dr. Nichols] was very pleasant and not too clinical...It was just the consultation so far but he was informative but didn’t use too many clinical terms that we felt lost. He has a very calming disposition. He explained our options in great detail and was also very conscious about our out of pocket costs as we navigated through insurance. It was nice to be informed of our options rather than just having things scheduled
Make a list of any questions you have before the meeting
He was very pleasant and not too clinical
Extremely helpful and patient. They seemed to be a good team
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is very clean, and extremely warm and inviting. It didn’t just look like a doctor’s office. There was never a very long wait. The staff are friendly and competent. They’re always willing to help answer your questions and make your options clear. They also try to help guide you through the costs of the procedures
So far costs have been fair and explained along the way. He slid out a list of possible procedures throughout, explained costs, and suggested which procedures were more immediate and which could wait until later in the process
Spartanburg

He [Dr. John Nichols] took us to his office and sat down one on one with us and went over everything we needed to know what all we needed to do and what all our options was asked us if we had any questions and so on he was very compassionate and very caring about helping us and getting to the point for us to become parents you can tell he loves his job and what he does and helping others succeed
He took us to his office and sat down one on one with us and went over everything we needed to know what all we needed to do and what all our options was asked us if we had any questions and so on he was very compassionate and very caring about helping us and getting to the point for us to become parents you can tell he loves his job and what he does and helping others succeed
Listen to him and do whatever he suggests to get you to having a family of your own
He took us to his office and sat down with us one on one and went over everything gave us options and ask us if we had any questions and so on
They were all very nice and helpful they made me feel like family very caring and was concerned if i had any questions and etc
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
My obgyn actually referred me to this clinic and i cant thank him enough this staff is very caring and concerned for there patients very helpful answers every question and concern couldnt ask for a better clinic that brings you in as family
It was a good bit infertility isnt covered under my health insurance

2014 - 2017
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Nichols was very professional and was willing to give me choices based on my fertility diagnosis. I was never limited in what treatment that they would consider or course of action throughout my treatment. Any questions that I had were addressed and I never felt rushed.... This clinic has several offices that are available that work together if needed. I never had trouble getting appointments or getting in touch with someone if necessary. All of the staff and doctors are very knowledgeable and can accommodate a wide variety of needs.
2014 - 2017
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Do not be afraid to ask questions or advice on course of treatment.
All of my concerns were addressed and everyone was very patient and caring about my diagnosis and plan of treatment.
First IUI cycle was with clomid.
Hands down, Stephanie was the best nurse! She was very understanding and good about answering any questions that I had. She was always available and prompt if I needed anything. I probably would have gave up if it were not for her. She made time for me and was always accommodating.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Insurance covered some expenses. Overall total treatment care was at or a little over $25,000.
I was given an option to transfer one embryo or two. It was advised to only transfer one embryo at a time since they were of high quality. The doctor was very good at explaining the process and the pros and cons of one versus two.

3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Dr. Nichols was very straight forward and always positive with me. He was fast and efficient as going through these procedures are not fun but he always made you feel special and like your day was going to come to have the baby you always wanted.... 3 IUI's, recommended that we move on to IVF. 1st Fresh transfer of one embryo did not take so we transferred 2 embryos frozen and we had a baby with one.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
He is very straight forward, no sugar coating.
All the nurses and the doctor were very genuine. I even brought my son in to see everyone at a few weeks old and they were all very excited!
They always knew who I was and were very compassionate. One of the nurses had been through infertility treatments and so could relate.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They get you in fast, the front desk is great and will really work with you. IFV is expensive and our insurance wouldn't cover so we reviewed options for loans. The staff really seem to care about each patient. They still call me to check up on my son and he is 18 months now.
$20,000 for 3 IUI, 1 fresh IVF, 1 frozen IVF

Endometriosis, PCOS
I felt like he [Dr. John Nichols] didn’t give it his all. He said he would at least get my cycles back and that didn’t happen. I went to my gyn and started birth control to start them but I still haven’t conceived. I just wish it was something else that he would have tried to get me to that point. It kinda felt like he just gave up on me.... I just remember taking these pills that were something like clomid to start my cycles. They started with a P. I would go in maybe one or two months and a nurse would check me and then I would go to the back with him to talk.
Endometriosis, PCOS
I felt like he didn’t give it his all. He said he would at least get my cycles back and that didn’t happen. I went to my gyn and started birth control to start them but I still haven’t conceived. I just wish it was something else that he would have tried to get me to that point. It kinda felt like he just gave up on me.
Don’t make your patients feel like there is nothing else you can help them with.
They were the ones that mainly helped me. They were very compassionate and careful with everything that they did.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The strengths of this clinic is that they have great people that are willing to help you along the way. But if you really want a doctor that is going to be helpful with understanding then let him know. The office is amazing. And it’s nice to see the different pictures of families that they have helped in the office.
I don’t know the costs
Spartanburg
He [Dr. Nichols] was honest direct and explained everything so that I could understand. I had a tubial in 2000 so he checked my records and discovered that I could either reverse the tubial because they were clamped and not tied.... The PREG Office in Asheville, NC the doctor, nurses as well as the rest of the staff were wonderful. I didn't get to complete my cycle due to my mates sudden illness... I had started the birth control and getting ready to start the other step
He was honest direct and explained everything so that I could understand. I had a tubial in 2000 so he checked my records and discovered that I could either reverse the tubial because they were clamped and not tied.
Listen to his advice
Never made it to threw the cycle my mate had a sudden illness and we had to put our dream on hold.
They were very patient and explained everything. I was comfortable and at ease
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is very well ran. It is very clean and inviting. The staff was wonderful. The receptionist greets you and make you feel welcome from the time you entered til your departure. The counselor explains everything to you step by step so there is no surprises along the way.
Like any medical visit there is cost, but the money wasn't an issue. He only had one child and I have six wonderful children. We just wanted to have a piece of us.
I had started the birth control and getting ready to start the other step of going to Greenville to remove eggs when my mate was hospitalized

3 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
Dr. Nicholas is amazing. He has always made me feel like he cares. He goes into lots of detail to make sure we fully understood what was going on. He was honest with us about everything. He would personally call me back to answer important questions ... We did egg retrieval with fresh transfer. Frozen transfer and egg retrieval with GPS testing. ... He went out of his way to do my egg retrieval before he went to the Asheville office because he knew it was important to me
3 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
Trust him.
Dr. Nicholas always made me feel like he cared. He went out of his way to do my egg retrieval before he went to the Asheville office because he knew it was important to me
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsey )
Everyone was great. They were compassionate. Always answered my questions
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I highly recommend PREG. They are great at communicating what is going on and what you need to do. They listen to your concerns. They are very caring and put you first. They let you know cosy upfront and work with you to save money.
18,000 for egg retrieval and sperm retrieval
If genetic testing is done, they recommend transferring 1. If no genetic testing then transfer 2.
Greenville

Dr.Nichols is very educational in his personalized discussions, he makes great decisions based on your situation not what has worked in the past. The only thing I didnt like was the shifting of Dr. to patient ordeal, we seen many physicians but everything always went back to him.
Be prepared to take action, this Dr. doesn't waste your time nor your money.
I felt more human with this Physician from the very beginning. He spoke directly to me and had a personalized plan of care for my husband and I situation.
The nursing staff is amazing and prompt. I've called many times and received same day appts and detailed answers. They've kept in contact thru each cycle. They make a great team.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The only weakness I notice is the phone service it's almost impossible to get a nurse on the line or to initially get an answer sometimes, you're almost always rooted to another preg. The strengths are they're educated and very informative. They show true compassion and great concern for your desire.
Spartanburg

Dr. Nichols was very thorough and very understanding of our situation and very knowledgeable about where we needed to go from hereHe took the time and effort to go over all of our options and explain the pros and cons of each option and why we could do one procedure versus the other... Dr. Nichols took a lot of time to go over how we needed to be tested and what the test results meant and what our options were as far as IVF
Make sure you get him
We are currently going through our first cycle with Dr. Nichols
The nursing staff took my blood and was very very nice. She was very friendly and communicated with me about everything she was doing
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I really like this clinic and everybody was friendly from the billing people to the nurses to the doctors and they really took the time via email and or in person or on the phone to communicate with us about our options
Right now the only thing I had to pay for was my ultrasound which was $280
Greenville

2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
He [Dr. John Nichols] is honest and does not blow smoke. While he is a bit cut and dried at times with explanation, I feel as though he is thorough, competent and honest...Don’t expect a ton of hand holding, expect professional and honest answers...personalized and very kind. Even for an ivf patient I have a special history due to cancer at 35 and he has been very cognizant of and sensitive to the special challenges
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Covered in previous question related to special treatment re post cancer care. He is honest and does not blow smoke. While he is a bit cut and dried at times with explanation, I feel as though he is thorough, competent and honest
Don’t expect a ton of hand holding, expect professional and honest answers
Dr Nichols has been honest, personalized and very kind. Even for an ivf patient I have a special history due to cancer at 35 and he has been very cognizant of and sensitive to the special challenges
The nursing staff and nurse practitioner are all wonderful, as is the office staff
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Office staff is terrific, couple of times we have had to call for reminders of what is next step. Very compassionate. It is very nice too that they know who you are on arrival, after initial visit. Makes the whole experience feel like you have friends rooting for your success
We have so far spent about 25k
Asheville

[Protocol with Dr. Nichols] Hormone injections to stimulate ovulation IUI -spoke of this but declined IVF - starting treatment now...Made sure we understand the plan and answered our questions...Seems very knowledgeable and easy to speak with. We feel comfortable with him handling our care. Speaks in a way that is easy to understand and wants us to know the plan in place. Would recommend to anyone needing these types of services.
How was your experience with John Nichols at Premier Fertility Centers?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Nichols at Premier Fertility Centers?
Ask any questions that you may have and he will answer them.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Nichols at Premier Fertility Centers?
Made sure we understand the plan and answered our questions
Describe the protocols John Nichols used in your cycles at Premier Fertility Centers and their degree of success.
Good, caring, compassionate
Describe your experience with Premier Fertility Centers.
Had some issues with insurance billing but they handled it quickly and to our satisfaction. The staff are good about communicating appointments and needs for each appointment. We have been impressed by the office
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Nichols at Premier Fertility Centers.
Copays with insurance and tests. $60 copay for visits, $220 for genetic testing, $12500 for IVF
Describe John Nichols's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Premier Fertility Centers.
Premier Fertility Centers
Winston Salem

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Nichols at Premier Fertility Centers.

He [Dr. Nichols] was very nice, respectful and open.... Did not get to see him every visit. Clinic was expensive due to out of pocket costs. However when we did see him he was nice and respectful especially since we were LGBT. I wish we had money to keep trying. We weren’t sure we could go Straight to IVF OR SIMPLY IVF instead of IUI. It has a very low success rate. So we only have tried IUI. He was polite and respectful to our needs
Research your options even if it means going out of state.
He was very nice, respectful and open.
I used Ovulation prediction kits, fertility pills and then had the IUI procedure twice. The first IUI was natural cycle and we just used an OPK then had the IUI.
Polite and friendly.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
It is an Expensive clinic however to have a child when we are unable to physically make a child ourself would be worth it l and our greatest accomplishment. I wish we had unlimited money and resources to be able to try IVF and better our chances.
Very expensive due to out of pocket cost and no insurance involved.
No experience
Asheville

[Dr. Nichols was] Concise in his explanations and answering my questions. Was realistic and provided options where I had the best chance for a successful outcome...Strengths: extremely knowledgeable and realistic; wants his treatments with patients to be successful...describes each procedure and upcoming steps. Confident re: clinical decision making. Weaknesses: none evident
Strengths: extremely knowledgeable and realistic; wants his treatments with patients to be successful. Concise and describes each procedure and upcoming steps. Confident re: clinical decision making. Weaknesses: none evident
Ask any and all questions you have. Do not hold back.
Letrozole with follow up ovidrell injection combined with timed intercourse. Moving up to IVF next due to my diagnosis, but have not started treatment for this.
Supportive, empathetic, and readily available to assist and answer questions. Calm fears and offer encouragement when you at at a low.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: Appears to run smoothly and organized; clean; staff is efficient in carrying out and performing tests and procedures. Weaknesses: they messed up on billing my insurance which is an added stress that I don’t want/need at this time.

Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
He [Dr. Nichols] set my expectations and didn't sugar coat anything... He really reassured me and didn't give me false hope. That's what I always look for when dealing with a doctor. He was patient and kind and made me feel comfortable. I have stage 4 endometriosis and have been dealing with this disease for almost 20 years.... That he is really caring and didn't make you feel like just another patient. He made me feel at home and important
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
He set my expectations and didn't sugar coat anything
We are waiting on test results to come back to plan the next course of action
They all were amazing
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Everything was great. Very clean environment. Everyone was approachable and very attentive. They made me feel relaxed and honestly like I was family. Not at anytime did the make me feel out of place. Prior to my visit I was skeptical and nervous and felt like they were all about money but I didn't get that vibe when I walked through the doors.
Didn't make it that far yet
We didn't get that far with things
Columbia

Dr. Nichols is a very kind, emphatic, and patience doctor who took the time to break everything down to me and my husband. I am in the military and he took the time to break down what I should eat, stress levels, and worked around my schedule as best as he could.... He decided to use multiple embryo transfer to give me a better chance of conception. He weighed out my options and created ed a plan specific to my wishes.
You’re in good hands with Dr. Nichols!
He was very kind, very understanding, and very patient with me. He is an excellent doctor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Karen )
Karen helped us in a personal level, she knew our struggles because she had fought the battle of infertility herself. She truly made my husband and myself feel like family
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths communication Weaknesses n/a I assure any patient at PREG that they are in good hands! The doctors and compassionate and the nurses are to your struggles and your journey to motherhood. I truly couldn’t pray for a better team
I’ve spent nearly 20k on fertility treatments with PREG

Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Nichols explained everything in a clear and straight forward manner. He was realistic about the outcomes and did not give us false hope. Our IVF course went well and we understood each step along the way.... We did a fresh cycle IVF with progesterone in oil shots, but when i started To have a reaction we switched to crinone. Switched the trigger injection when it looked like I was going to overstimulate and that worked well. I transferred 5 day embryos (2) and 1 took.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
He may not come across as "warm and fuzzy" but he is a great doctor!
They know me and my husband by name and when I would call I would get a person and not a recording to leave a message.
Every nurse we had was compassionate and really loved their job.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are great about answering questions via email or phone call even after hours.
I believe IVF was around 10-12k
Our quality of embryos wasn't excellent so transferring 2 was ok with him. He usually suggests transferring 1 if they are great quality.

3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
He [Dr. John Nichols] is a very upfront doctor. He doesn't sugarcoat anything so you don't get your hopes up but he does give you all the oporions available. He will give you the percentage of whatever procedure you decide to have. Bring IVF, IUI, or donor egg.
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
He is a very upfront doctor. He doesn't sugarcoat anything so you don't get your hopes up but he does give you all the oporions available. He will give you the percentage of whatever procedure you decide to have. Bring IVF, IUI, or donor egg.
Be open minded
Staff and the Doctors are very concerned with your best interest
We are awaiting on egg retrivial now
Most of the nurses are very compassionate and show it in every visit
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The strengths are in the nurses. The weakness is in the front. These ladies could show a little more compassion instead of just checking you out
We are self pay. My insurance through Bluecross Blueshield does not cover any of this do my husband is taking a "Hardship" towards his 401k
Yes he didn't want to transfer 2 at onetime. Only recommends one at a time.
Greenville

He was very understanding and showed companion. Dr. Nichols always explained any questions and or concerns that my spouse and I had. Dr. Nichols is a amazing doctor and I would recommend anyone I know to see him for fertility help... I took fertility drugs cycle day 3-9 and did the ovadril shot day before iui.... The nurses were always very kind and all around great
Latino, Other
Listen closely to what he says and follow the instructions accordingly
They always treated me with respect and kindness
I took fertility drugs cycle day 3-9 and did the ovadril shot day before iui.
The nurses were always very kind and all around great
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The over all clinic was great but the front desk clerks could use some work. The lady at the front desk once did not let the nurse know that I was there and I waited over an hour before she even knew I was there. When the nurse finally seen me out there she was like you have never been late before and I let her know I was 10 minutes early like always I'm not sure why she didn't lethink her know I was there other than that everyone else is great
It was different everytime but I have a credit with them due to over charging me.
Spartanburg

He [Dr. John Nichols] explained everything very thoroughly and answered any questions my husband and I had. Very considerate and nice! He makes this difficult journey a bit easier knowing he knows what the next steps are.... All the staff, nurses, and Dr Nichols were all very friendly and made sure that we understood the next steps on our journey.... [PREG-Greenville is] Very clean. Amazingly nice staff, nurses and doctors. Very informative about the whole process and what comes next and what to expect
He explained everything very thoroughly and answered any questions my husband and I had. Very considerate and nice! He makes this difficult journey a bit easier knowing he knows what the next steps are.
Be prepared to begin this journey
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Very clean. Amazingly nice staff, nurses and doctors. Very informative about the whole process and what comes next and what to expect. Amazing facility overall! I would definitely recommend this office to anyone that is having fertility issues.
Prices are pretty fair. I have to pay out of pocket for everything. They are a bit expensive but I think that’s to be expected.
Greenville

He [Dr. Nichols] is very blunt and doesn’t candy coat anything which is good when you’ve been on a long infertility journey. There is no fluff, just honesty. I respect that. Once you undertaand his personality I think things go smoothly. He can be compassionate when it’s needed as well.... Wait times can be long from time to time. Billing can have a little miscommunication here and there. Overall it’s always a good experience. I will continue to keep them as my specialists. I feel they are experienced and knowledgeable
He is very blunt and doesn’t candy coat anything which is good when you’ve been on a long infertility journey. There is no fluff, just honesty. I respect that. Once you undertaand his personality I think things go smoothly. He can be compassionate when it’s needed as well.
10,000+
Greenville

I loved my experience at this clinic in particular. Everyone was so sweet and welcoming. Dr. Nichols is very straight forward sometimes it can come off as a bit cool but I do feel he is a very smart doctor who will get me pregnant... He can sometimes seem a bit direct or rushed but don’t take it personally. He is a great doctor... The nurse and front desk staff are all awesome! Everyone seems to really care about you as the patient.
They are the absolute best! Everyone is so welcoming and sweet
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The nurse and front desk staff are all awesome! Everyone seems to really care about you as the patient. The ultrasound machines seemed outdated as well as the machine that they used to do my HsG test.
Greenville
[Dr. Nichols is a] Very good doctor with plenty of expertise and a facility and staff that supports him very effectively. PREG center in general is of the highest quality when it comes to anything related to infertility and I would highly recommend them to any person in the upstate looking to overcome their own battle with infertility... Great facility and easily accessible to anyone living in the upstate area of south Carolina. his place has all the necessary diagnostic tools
Native American, Other
Be patient
Conversation, bedside manner, nonverbal listening ques
Great and not afraid to listen and answer questions
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Great facility and easily accessible to anyone living in the upstate area of south Carolina. This place has all the necessary diagnostic tools and experienced man power to tackle even the more difficult infertility epistemology

2006 - 2018
Dr. Nichols was great to work with. I have 2 beautiful healthy children as a result. The process is very hard to understand and I never felt in the dark. He explained everything well and his staff was great... [PREG was] Well organized. Appointments were tonthe point and you didn’t have to wait long. They never made you come unnecessarily. The staff was welcoming and so sweet. They felt like family. I would definitely use them again
2006 - 2018