Available by cell phone
(864)-232-7734
1330 Boiling Springs Rd.
Spartanburg, SC 29303
(864)-583-2669
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend John Nichols to a friend?

5.7

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group to a friend?
He [Dr. Nichols] was prepared with all of my information prior to our appointment. He showed concern and sensitivity to my emotions and went over all of my options...supportive to the fact that I wanted to keep trying a few more rounds of IUI because it is covered by our insurance, but IVF is not covered. He explained in detail the IVF process and patiently answered my questions...performed my HSG test and had a calm/warm personality, which helped to calm me.
Didn't hear back from one of the doctors [at PREG] for over 2 days when waiting for instructions on what to do for my next cycle. Strengths: Almost always able to get in touch with someone on the phone, well trained sensitive/compassionate nursing staff, the 2nd doctor I saw was great, most of the secretaries are friendly and helpful, letting me schedule my IUI in advance to try and work around my work schedule
How was your experience with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
He performed my HSG test and had a calm/warm personality, which helped to calm me. For our consultation appointment to go over next steps, after 3 cycles with meds and timed intercourse and 2 IUI's, he was prepared with all of my previous treatment history and had already printed out information and stats IVF and how it would work for me. He was sensitive and supportive to the fact that I wanted to keep trying a few more rounds of IUI because it is covered by our insurance, but IVF is not covered. He explained in detail the IVF process and patiently answered my questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
He was prepared with all of my information prior to our appointment. He showed concern and sensitivity to my emotions and went over all of my options.
The two main nurses I've worked with were helpful and compassionate. One was more calm and seemed more caring than the other (but, it was probably a personality preference). Unfortunately, at our first IUI they were short staffed and someone who was filling in at the lab copied my husbands name wrong and wrote the wrong name on his sperm sample. It made for a pretty stressful and upsetting procedure, especially since it was our first time doing an IUI. The next two IUI's went really well and the calmer nurse did them. Overall, I think the nursing staff is sensitive and compassionate and do a great job.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Weaknesses: Way too cold in the clinic (especially when you're having to get undressed for procedures), have had to wait over an hour for a consultation and an IUI, unfriendly secretary when I expressed my concern about wait time (but the other two were friendly!), short window of time to get blood-work done when they were training a new staff member, Didn't hear back from one of the doctors for over 2 days when waiting for instructions on what to do for my next cycle. Strengths: Almost always able to get in touch with someone on the phone, well trained sensitive/compassionate nursing staff, the 2nd doctor I saw was great, most of the secretaries are friendly and helpful, letting me schedule my IUI in advance to try and work around my work schedule
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Twice my meds weren't called in to the correct pharmacy, the doctor didn't get back to me for 2 days when it was time sensitive, a nurse mis-labeled a sperm sample, have had to wait over an hour for 2 appointments, way too cold!

2019 - 2020
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Nichols is smart and showed an understanding of my body and the potential risks and rewards of following through with treatment. He presents options and is available to answer questions as needed. Dr. Nichols is not necessarily warm and fuzzy but he is welcoming and presents himself as a professional. ... I underwent diagnostic testing for fertility and an HSG. These things were done so that Dr. Nichols could determine what procedure would be best for my issues.
The clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] is well lit and organized. It is clean and welcoming. I have not had an unpleasant experience yet. The staff is quick to schedule or complete consultations over the phone. Also, the finance department is very helpful and they go through the costs for your recommended procedures thoroughly while offering means of support. I cannot identify any weaknesses.
2019 - 2020
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Be open and honest so that you can get the most accurate treatment and advice.
Dr. Nichols and the staff of Preg have been friendly and thorough. They are always available to answer my questions. Dr. Nichols explained my test results and next steps clearly.
Describe the protocols John Nichols used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
It is from the nursing staff that you will get the warm and fuzzies. Everyone that I have met so far has been encouraging and very supportive. They have answered all my additional questions with patience and knowledge.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is well lit and organized. It is clean and welcoming. I have not had an unpleasant experience yet. The staff is quick to schedule or complete consultations over the phone. Also, the finance department is very helpful and they go through the costs for your recommended procedures thoroughly while offering means of support. I cannot identify any weaknesses.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
So far the only costs I have incurred have been for the diagnostic and testing fees. I have spoken with one of the clinic’s financial counselors and she provided me with an itemized cost list based on my individual insurance.
2017 - 2019
[Protocols with Dr. John Nichols] I tried about 3 TICs, 3 IUIs (only went through with 2 due to where the follicles were), 1 IVF (no transfer - all embryos died before freezing), and a laparoscopic surgery to look at Fallopian tubes... I wish he had suggested blood testing for genetic anomalies earlier without my having to bring it up late in the process...Unfortunately he couldn’t explain why all my embryos “fell apart” and I’m not sure if it’s because he truly did not know or if he didn’t feel like he had the time to look into it further.
Some of them [nurses at PREG] were helpful and informative, especially during TIC and IUI attempts. The main nurse assigned for IVF (Lynne) could be nice at times but mostly I found her to lack compassion and felt like she talked down to me. She seemed to be annoyed with her job and got tired of repeating herself, forgetting or not caring that I was in a stressful switching and trying something (IVF) I had never experienced before.
2017 - 2019
European, Latino
Dr. Nichols (when he was around) explained things very clearly and plainly throughout the TIC, IUI, and IVF process. Unfortunately he couldn’t explain why all my embryos “fell apart” and I’m not sure if it’s because he truly did not know or if he didn’t feel like he had the time to look into it further. Or perhaps because I don’t have money he knew I couldn’t pay for more experimentation. He was wishy-washy about recommending a second try which is why I haven’t pursued anything else yet. I wish he had suggested blood testing for genetic anomalies earlier without my having to bring it up late in the process.
He speaks plainly.
For example, the day of egg retrieval it seemed as though they were herding a large number of women through the process like animals. There were probably 4-5 women in the same room at any time and they were herded in and out of the operating area. It felt very rushed and impersonal. I would have liked to have had more time to talk with the various people around about what was happening.
I tried about 3 TICs, 3 IUIs (only went through with 2 due to where the follicles were), 1 IVF (no transfer - all embryos died before freezing), and a laparoscopic surgery to look at Fallopian tubes which resulted in “everything looks fine and now you owe 4K that your insurance doesn’t cover too bad we couldn’t tell you that ahead of time”.
Some of them were helpful and informative, especially during TIC and IUI attempts. The main nurse assigned for IVF (Lynne) could be nice at times but mostly I found her to lack compassion and felt like she talked down to me. She seemed to be annoyed with her job and got tired of repeating herself, forgetting or not caring that I was in a stressful switching and trying something (IVF) I had never experienced before.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They seem to run their schedule well. Most appointments were on time and lasted as expected. Weaknesses may be that a lot of the staff seemed annoyed or exhausted to be there which was challenging to deal with when I’m already facing depression about my infertility.
Drugs for TIC were fairly inexpensive due to insurance. IUI procedures were about 500 each, out of pocket. IVF including drugs was about 27,000 out of pocket. Got some refunded due to failure. Laparoscopic procedure was over 30,000 with most covered by insurance but about 4000 out of pocket.
Describe John Nichols's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
My doctor did not believe it was safe to transfer more than one embryo at a time and I believe he will not perform those procedures.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Miscommunication about costs of procedures.
Asheville

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

hardly ever saw Dr. Nichols except for the consultations...I didn't feel warm or welcome from the start. Neither did my husband. We should have stopped there, but we continued on because we didn't think there was anyone else in the area to choose from (we used his office in Asheville, NC). Dr. Nichols did not ever follow up with us or make us feel valued. Again, we should have stopped before we started with him and his practice...
There were LOTS of problems with Dr. Nichols and his practice (PREG). We had issues with the following: billing (unclear and they even had a hard time explaining to us- - they seemed as confused as we were), insurance claims (would not communicate with our insurance company in a rapid manner - - took MONTHS to resolve an issues from nearly 6 months ago), nurses would sometimes call, but often NOT cal to inform us of what we needed to do when, hardly ever saw Dr. Nichols except for the consultations, I have an allergy to latex and nearly 80% of the time I would have to remind the staff of this before they went to do a check-up, procedure, etc. Overall, we (my husband and I ) felt the staff was only worried about the $ and not about the humans involved. I would NEVER recommend this practice to ANYONE! We were VERY dissatisfied and when letting them know this, they didn't seem to care - - no apologies or anything. Just "hate to hear that". FIND ANOTHER PRACTICE - - DO NOT USE PREG IN GREENVILLE, ASHEVILLE, SPARTANBURG, COLUMBIA, ETC.!!!
Go somewhere else - - anywhere else. Do not use John Nichols!
Because my husband I were both "normal" in ALL aspects, we started first with using Letrozole and then the timed Trigger shot. We did this three times with negative results. During this time, they found a polyp and removed that from my uterus. Then, we moved into IUI's, which we tried twice. I was having REALLY negative side effects from the drugs, and we weren't happy with PREG so we quit treatment until we could find another practice.
There was one nurse that was AWESOME, but I don't remember her name. She was the ONLY one that would call me back, seemed to GENUINELY care, and ALWAYS remembered my allergy to latex. The rest were VERY unimpressive.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Overall, it just wasn't the clinic for us. Again, I think if we had to do it all over again, we should have stopped before we began with them and gone somewhere else. Even when we quit treatment, we had to battle with them for MONTHS afterward due to billing issues.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
The first "sample" they took of my husband they messed up. Evidently it was supposed to go to the lab in the "frozen" state and they had accidentally "thawed" it - which ruined the test. We had come back and do it again. Often they wouldn't remember what was next for me and seemed VERY confused. I would call for questions regarding my medications, etc. and they would seem VERY confused as to what they had me doing, etc. For the IUI's they would try to schedule me later in the afternoon, but my husband was giving his sample in the morning. Then, they would have the epiphany that we were scheduling an IUI. It's like no one was talking to anyone - - it was strange and they never apologized - - just continued to bill and take the money.

PCOS, Unexplained
The nurses [at PREG-Asheville] were wonderful, but it carried from nurse to nurse on the timing they would suggest for injections or when to preform the iui. It seemed sometimes they were doing treatments prematurely... Weakness would be re-evaluating treatment. I would suggest asking lots and lots of questions. And question things you do not understand. Ask why medication can't isn't being increased. Ask for kab work to be redone if needed.
PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Nichols was nice at my consultation; however he did not spend a lot of time with me that day. Honestly he wanted to push IVF upfront since I had came from another doctor that did an iui already. It seemed he did not want me to try an iui. As stated before I only seem dr Nichols at my consultation as he primarily works out of the south Carolina office I was told and I went to the North Carolina office for my treatment. When the dosage of my fertility medication did not get results he didn't to my knowledge review and see if my dose needed to be increased to get better results. I was actually told on the days of my injections by the nurses that sometimes my follicles were on the small side, but they would go ahead and do my injections and have me come back for the iui. When I recieved my initial load result call from the nurse the only thing they found was low thyroid and low vitamin D. However after vitamin D supplements were started Dr Nichols never retested. As well I have had thyroid issues for 20 years. It seems to me that low thyroid could be a contributing factor in my infertility but they did not seem concerned about it.
Ask a lot of questions and ask for treatment to be re-evaluated through out the process. I literally felt like I flushed my money down the toilet
During my treatment I only saw Dr Nochols 1 time and that was during my consultation visit. After that I seen nurses on the practice. The nurses were wonderful, but I felt like when my treatment wasn't progressing that I should have seen face to face again with the doctor. So it felt like to me that I was just another number to him.
First 3 cycles were letrozole only 7.5 mg 3 more cycles letrozole 7.5 mg and injection shot Never once was it discussed to go up on the letrozole dose. Even though I was not getting pregnant
The nurses were wonderful, but it carried from nurse to nurse on the timing they would suggest for injections or when to preform the iui. It seemed sometimes they were doing treatments prematurely
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
My total costs were a lot out of pocket. A good guess of my costs for my treatment there would be $6,000

Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
As a patient the first round of IVF cycle I had different dr. for egg retreival, transfer and the ultrasounds [that Dr. John Nichols]. The 2nd time which I am still in the process of I have made sure to raise my questions and concerns and learning experiences from the first round to Dr. Nichols. I have ensured that all of the sessions in the second round has been performed by Dr. Nichols only. The second round so far has been less confusing since Dr. Nichols has explained the planning of egg retreival, but also added the ERA/biopsy testing this time.
[PREG- Greenville's] Strenghts: Caring staff understanding of patients needs responds to questions/concerns Weakness: Bedside care Always in a hurry The diffferent treatment plans for IVF can be very confusing.Doctor does not give any recommendation to these but rather you have to choose yourself.... 18,500 first IVF cycle 13,500 second IVF cycle Mock transfer costs routine costs during 2015-2017 Estimated total: $40,000 Total estimated:
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
As a patient the first round of IVF cycle I had different dr. for egg retreival, transfer and the ultrasounds. The 2nd time which I am still in the process of I have made sure to raise my questions and concerns and learning experiences from the first round to Dr. Nichols. I have ensured that all of the sessions in the second round has been performed by Dr. Nichols only. The second round so far has been less confusing since Dr. Nichols has explained the planning of egg retreival, but also added the ERA/biopsy testing this time.
Perhaps little bit more of followup. A phone call from one of his nurses or himself would be appreciated after egg retreival, ERA/Biopsy or even embryo transfer.
Dr. Nichols has always been very caring and listens to my concerns and answers the questions I may have.
Egg Retreival protocol: Start Birthcontrol pill: 6/26/2018 (last pill 7/10/2018) Ultrasound/Baseline lab 7/11/2018 Day 1-4 (7/13/2018-7/16/2018) Gonal F = 150 units HCG 15 units Keflex 500 MG (AM & PM) Asprin low dose once daily Day 5-10 (7/17/2018 - 7/22/2018) Labs & Ultrasound on 7/17/2018 Gonal F = 225 units HCG 15 units Keflex 500 MG (AM & PM) Asprin low dose once daily Day 11 (7/23/2018) Lab & Ultrasound Gonal F = 150 units HCG 15 units Keflex 500 MG (AM & PM) Asprin low dose once daily 7/24/2018 Retreival Asprin low dose. No keflex 500 MG in the AM of retreival. ERA/Biopsy/Mock transfer protocol Start Bithcontrol and asprin on 8/6/2018 Last birthcontrol pill on 9/3/2018 Lab & Ultrasound 9/4/2018 Day 1-2 (9/6/2018-9/7/2018 1 - Estradiol 1 mg tablet AM/PM Asprin low dose Day 3-4 (9/8/2018-9/9/2018 2 - Estradiol 1 mg tablet AM/PM Asprin low dose Day 5-19 (9/10/2018-9/24/2018 3 - Estradiol 1 mg tablet AM/PM 1 Estradiol 1 mg tablet vaginally at night Day 15-24 (9/20/2018-9/25/2018 Progesterone in oil 100mg/cc (3/4 cc = 75 mg) IM AM Biopsy/Mock transfer/ERA done on 9/25/2018 Asprin low dose
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Polowczuk (IVF cord.))
excellent staff. very caring and also understanding. However, bedside care should be little better after egg retreival, mock transfer and embryo transfer. A phonecall the day after would be appreciated.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
N/A have not reached to that point yet.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
There has been 1 time where the prescription I needed was not called in on time on a Friday. However, CVS had the pills and after my husband showed a picture of the protocol the pharmacy gave enough to last me through the weekend.

3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Nichols; when we first met I felt confident that we would be able to move forward and although I was just turned 45yr, that there was still hope for my fertility and that under his care we could turn a small percent into a true pregnancy. Since then I've read many things and in realization that some things could of been done to help me more efficiently. I have felt disappointed and let down.... Protocols were same with each IUI. I have only done one IVF and one Mock cycle to fine tune the pill and shot amounts.
The staff [at PREG] for appointments are great. I never felt forgotten. They got back to me in a timely manner so i could be on time for whatever was needed. Weaknesses would be that for my IUI and IVF cycle I had too many questions after going home as to why some things weren't checked. Another important matter is what we put in our bodies. There is no information other than online searching that fertility is tied to what supplements we take and food or bad food we eat.
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Ask for ultrasound to look for polyps before anything else. Ask to have husband tested before the day of IUI transfer.
Treatment was fine. I am aware that there are procedure that are followed in an elimination manner, however I feel that for my age I should of been tested for some things before my first IUI such as the HSG to see if my tubes were open. This was only done at my request after the #3 IUI's. Secondly, while I was having ultrasound before my first IUI set for few days later, the nurse said she thought she saw a possible polyp. That being my first visit I didn't know that polyps were a cause of failed IUI. My cycle should of been postponed till after the surgery. The office doesn't always follow through with making me aware of the next step and I have felt like I'm always chasing answers or requesting them to do extra measures that are being overlooked.
The details for these things have changed each time as per milligrams and pill choices for fertility. Protocols were same with each IUI. I have only done one IVF and one Mock cycle to fine tune the pill and shot amounts. I also wish that I had been given a choice when it came to LUPRON injections or at least a pamphlet about the detreimental side effects before being prescribed for treatment.
The nursing staff is great. I feel as women they understand the hopes of each visit. Compassion and understanding. I was always asked, are you doing ok when undergoing ultrasound.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff for appointments are great. I never felt forgotten. They got back to me in a timely manner so i could be on time for whatever was needed. Weaknesses would be that for my IUI and IVF cycle I had too many questions after going home as to why some things weren't checked. Another important matter is what we put in our bodies. There is no information other than online searching that fertility is tied to what supplements we take and food or bad food we eat.
From my reading and comparing online prices and asking other women from other clinics, the pricing associated with PREG is mostly fair and cheaper than other states. I understand these are not cheap procedures, but some do feel higher than others. However my options are limited going anywhere else due to my age. I have one embryo left with Preg clinic and hope that it results in positive pregnancy. Im meant to start soon with next cycle and will have to request a sonogram to check for polyps.
There was no option for this with me. We purchased 6 donor eggs and only 2 viable embryos were created. The wise choice is to do one transfer to have two possibilities.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I went through one IUI even though days before the insemination the nurse said there may of been a polyp. I was not educated in knowing this could stop a pregnancy. Then after nearly a year between last IUI and IVF , I requested an ultrasound to test for polyps. I was correct in seeing that a few had come back again due to all the estrogen pills in system from the previous cycles. I also requested a HSG as this had never been offered or told to me that It could be a reason for infertility. Again I was corrected in having it checked as both tubes were closed and only one side opened after extra solution was pushed through. I feel we were cheated on the 3-IUI's as to the money we spent on the procedure and the medications. These things should of been done to check before procedures for someone my age, we could of become pregnant without the IVF procedure. The other issue I had was the communication that PREG had with the egg bank where we purchased our Donor eggs. A hurricane had gone through the area, but we were not given information for over a month that this was part of the delay in embryo creations and mailing to our clinic. 9/2017- they contacted embryo clinic to have container sent to them for the sperm from husband. Over a month passed before shipping container was sent to PREG for sample from CRM. Fault is mostly from CRM clinic but our coordinator should have been on it sooner and not left me in the dark for so long as to what was going on. I had to call and get them to respond to me with details.
Greenville

Dr. Nichols is extremely knowledgeable and very good at explaining what I needed him to explain...Don't expect any beating around the bush...We first tried ovulation inducing pills for a few cycles which did not help. He then recommended either IUI or IVF but the clinic was offering a new procedure called Simply IVF that we decided to try. We had to increase my Menopur dosage a couple times. Unfortunately I did not react well enough to the Menopur and we had to cancel that cycle
I just love this clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] and believe they're so good at what they do. I was concerned when starting this journey that there may be clinics that just recommended the highest cost procedures or treated their patients cold at such a difficult time but I found the exact opposite with this clinic. I hope that one day we'll be able to send them a picture of our baby to hang on their bulletin boards!
Dr. Nichols is extremely knowledgeable and very good at explaining what I needed him to explain. I like that he is very straightforward but still shows empathy when called for. If there is a patient that is highly prone to getting their feelings hurt when told they should or should not pursue certain treatments then I may not recommend Dr. Nichols but if the patient strictly wants a doctor that will do their best to give them the results they want then I would highly recommend Dr. Nichols.
Even if he's giving you information you may not want to hear, he only gives you that information because he feels it will help you in achieving pregnancy. Don't expect any beating around the bush.
He is very, very helpful and knowledgeable about everything I needed to know but was not at all afraid to be blunt if he felt the situation called for it (which it sometimes did).
We first tried ovulation inducing pills for a few cycles which did not help. He then recommended either IUI or IVF but the clinic was offering a new procedure called Simply IVF that we decided to try. We had to increase my Menopur dosage a couple times. Unfortunately I did not react well enough to the Menopur and we had to cancel that cycle. Dr. Nichols recommended then trying regular IVF so that I could be more closely monitored throughout my cycle but my husband and I wanted to try one more round of the Simply IVF instead due to costs. We did the same procedure one more time with a higher dosage of Menopur starting out and I still was not reacting as quickly as we hoped and we increased my dosage even more as we neared ovulation. We only got a couple follicles near the correct size, retrieved one egg, did IPSI and unfortunately that egg did not fertilize.
They were all SO kind and helpful with any questions or concerns I had. They always treated me like a friend and not just like a patient.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I just love this clinic and believe they're so good at what they do. I was concerned when starting this journey that there may be clinics that just recommended the highest cost procedures or treated their patients cold at such a difficult time but I found the exact opposite with this clinic. I hope that one day we'll be able to send them a picture of our baby to hang on their bulletin boards!
Simply IVF: $6000 Simply IVF Medications: $2000-$3000 each cycle, but I needed much more Menopur than most women do Femara: Covered by Insurance Birth Control Pills (to regulate before IVF): covered by insurance Consultations: $180 HCG: $500 Polyp Removals: I don't remember how much the first polyp removal was but the second polyp was removed during my egg retrieval so it was not an extra charge ICSI was also done at no charge because they were only able to retrieve one egg and they wanted to give it the best chance for fertilization.
We never got the opportunity to transfer any embryos but Dr. Nichols does highly recommend, depending on the age and health of the patient, doing single embryo transfer.
Greenville

Dr. Nichols is a very good communicator and listener he also shows compassion. While going over my husbands semen analysis test with us (which was not good) he explained all our options and the different steps he would like to do to try and help us be able to conceive using my husbands sperm. Instead of just going straight to donor sperm he is trying to do what he can so we can avoid donor. He didn't give up on us and that means so much!! He knows its important to us to be able to use my husbands sperm so he is going to let him do hcg shots to see if that can improve his count. I do not have anything bad to say about Dr.Nichols because he has always been excellent every time we've seen him.
I love that the nurses [at PREG] dont treat you like you're just another patient that they're seeing. They treat you like family and it makes the stress of the situation not feel so bad. When we go 90% of the nurses have smiles on their faces. The only negative thing I could say is that a few of the nurses that check you out could be a little more friendly and welcoming.
Be straight forward with what you want and he will do everything he can to make that happen.
Dr.Nichols plus his staff are absolutely amazing! They never rush us during our appointments and always make sure they answer any questions we have. They remember who we are and call us by name when they see us. I couldn't ask for a better place to go to help my husband and I during this stressful time.
I love that the nurses dont treat you like you're just another patient that they're seeing. They treat you like family and it makes the stress of the situation not feel so bad. When we go 90% of the nurses have smiles on their faces. The only negative thing I could say is that a few of the nurses that check you out could be a little more friendly and welcoming.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff is very nice and understanding. The office and the rooms are always clean and the waiting room always smells good. It is a easy location to get to and the suite is easy to find also. Im always taken back to be seen in less than 10 minutes.
So far with my treatment its basically been blood work which runs me around $300. I had to have a ultra sound and dye ran into my uterus which I paid out of pocket $750. I had to have a polyp removed in the Greenville office and that was $475. The HCG shots my husband is going to start taking is going to be $320 a month.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Nichols made me feel excited about our plan with real expectations. He gives the facts and does what is best for our journey. He really does what he can to help in anyway. Although our first cycle was not a success, I would not prefer anyone else to handle my care. He is a great doctor with an abundance of knowledge and I would recommend him to everyone.... Our first cycle with Dr. Nichols was a fairly new process called simply ivf.
PREG is always prompt with appointments and emailing or calling back. I never had to wait! I was able to work with my schedule for appointment times. Financial department was very informative and helpful with everything. I cannot complain about this clinic.... All of the nurses were great throughout the process. Several were in charge of my care but felt I comfortable with all. They were compassionate and helpful with any questions.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Don’t worry! Dr. Nichols will have your best interest at heart and will guide you through the process in the best way.
Dr.Nichols wanted what was best for my husband and I and still does. Looking at every number before the process starts allows him to alter the cycle based on our infertility.
Our first cycle with Dr. Nichols was a fairly new process called simply ivf. After looking at my prior history, recent blood work, ultrasound and my husbands history, semen analysis and blood work, he felt this was a good plan for us along with my own interest. The process is very controlled and monitored throughout with blood work and ultrasounds to make sure we are at an optimum for a retrieval. If my follicles were not at an optimum state for retrieval we kept going until they were with more days of medicine to get them there. We had a good number of mature eggs for retrieval however my husbands sperm were not able to fertilize my eggs properly making my number of embryos low. We transferred the one good embryo we had and ended with a chemical pregnancy. I agree with every decision made throughout the process and wouldn’t have changed the way the process went. If there is a failed treatment, the doctors come together to talk about a plan of action to get the best result moving forward. I agree with every decision and plan made for our journey.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Monitoring appointments worked perfect with my schedule and I have a full time job. I never had to wait. I never felt like I was rushed. Very efficient office.
Simply ivf cost a standard $5000 plus $1000-$2000 of medicine. That covered monitoring appointments, retrieval, transfer, freezing etc. Stephanie in the financial department was amazing with helping me understand and went above and beyond to break everything down. VERY HELPFUL!!!
Dr. Nichols does recommend a single embryo transfer is most cases, however will consider all things to allow he best option for the best outcome. I agree with his approach.
Greenville

Dr. Nichols is very good at relating your individual condition with statics. He has a neutral way of communicating and helping one understand their condition what could take place after treatment begins....Be prepared for no nonsense and no sugar coated communication. Dr. Nichols will guide you through everything, but you have to be willing to let him do so....Dr. Nichols can be blunt at times, but you know he is only trying to convey all of the possible outcomes-- the good, the bad and the ugly.
The clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] as a whole is 100% spot on. Every employee is very friendly and prepared for you when you come in. I always follow up to make sure that things have been followed through with, i.e. payments documented, appts scheduled, etc., but I really feel they don't need any checking up on!... Each and every person that we have come in contact with from the front desk staff to Dr. Nichols himself have been wonderful! It's a warm and inviting atmosphere, and that is so very important when you are going through somethings so emotionally and physically involved.
Dr. Nichols can be blunt at times, but you know he is only trying to convey all of the possible outcomes-- the good, the bad and the ugly. We all know that IVF has all of the above!! At one time, Dr. Nichols was especially compassionate when I broke down while talking about having to ask another woman to carry my child. I always look forward to my visits because I feel I am being treated and cared for by a very knowledgeable doctor.
Dr. Nichols is very good at relating your individual condition with statics. He has a neutral way of communicating and helping one understand their condition what could take place after treatment begins. He is stern but caring, and you know when you leave that he knew exactly which patient he was working with and has a plan for you as an individual/couple.
I will be taking birth control to start followed by Menopur and Lupron. I have not actually started the meds yet so I feel I cannot give much insight on this at this time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey Forbes)
The staff at PREG are amazing!! That may sound cliche, but the first RE's office we visited could not hold a candle to them! We love going to our appointments because they are prepared for us. They have our files out ready and waiting for when we walk in the door! Each and every person that we have come in contact with from the front desk staff to Dr. Nichols himself have been wonderful! It's a warm and inviting atmosphere, and that is so very important when you are going through somethings so emotionally and physically involved.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic as a whole is 100% spot on. Every employee is very friendly and prepared for you when you come in. I always follow up to make sure that things have been followed through with, i.e. payments documented, appts scheduled, etc., but I really feel they don't need any checking up on! They're really great!
We are using the Simply IVF method, and I know the promotional rate that we were given is no longer available, but it is still just have the cost of traditional IVF-- between 5,000 and 6,000. Of course, we will have to use our gestational carrier for the transfer, and this will be an additional $8000 plus her medications.
This office does allow you to chose whether you want to implant one or two embryos-- not more than two, but they do recommend only transferring one.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
We were given an initial cost sheet, and then at a future visit, after the new year, we were given a new one due to some changes that had taken place, but we had already been assured that we could keep the original cost provided so I had to scan back in the original cost sheet to the financial coordinator so that it would be correct in our file before I made the payment. That is the only negative thing that has occurred, and I believe that was only due to changes in staff and pricing for the new year that cause a little bit of confusion when things carried over from 2017 to 2018.
Asheville

Be prepared to receive news in a “tell it like it is” manner. There’s no sugar coating or interest in getting to know you as a person. He [Dr. Nichols] seems to want to get you in and then out and on to the next patient...The only thing we discussed on the consultation appointment is that I needed to come back and get Cycle day 3 blood work done to make some determinations...The doctors bedside manner needs work. He seemed very rushed and a little disorganized. He could have been a bit more gentle with his delivery of words. He did not seem terribly concerned with me as a patient.
They [nurses at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] were friendly and seemed caring, although they seemed VERY disorganized. They would call me to come back, then send me back to the front again while they sorted out a few things. It’s unprofessional and embarrassing really, seeing a staff being disorganized...It’s very clean looking and visually appealing on the inside on the front end. From the outside, it looks like an old Rite Aid or CVS converted into a clinic. The front end staff was very friendly and caring. The nurse who took my vitals was very loud and does not respect patient privacy.
The doctor did not seem very concerned about me as a patient. He does not have a gentle manner with the way he communicates. I can say he was definitely a straight-shooter with what he had to tell me as far as my chances being lower of becoming pregnant due to age. I did appreciate him being candid and honest, but I feel a doctor should always be compassionate and show a genuine caring interest in his patients.
Be prepared to receive news in a “tell it like it is” manner. There’s no sugar coating or interest in getting to know you as a person. He seems to want to get you in and then out and on to the next patient.
They were friendly and seemed caring, although they seemed VERY disorganized. They would call me to come back, then send me back to the front again while they sorted out a few things. It’s unprofessional and embarrassing really, seeing a staff being disorganized.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I selected lost paperwork because I don’t know what the deal was with why they kept calling me to the back and them dismissing me back up to the front, while they sorted out their issues on the back end.
Columbia
Before even doing any testing infertility testing [Dr. Nichols] said we should skip right to embryo donation. Without knowing any of my history, I felt like skipping straight to embryo donation would help his clinics numbers rather than actually trying to help my husband and me conceive...creates the treatment plan, but any doctor performs the treatment. It’s the luck of the draw on who you get. He only treated us for one IUI. I hardly saw him at all during our IVF. He was blunt and to the point with treatment options, which is what I initially thought I wanted, however this process is emotional and he comes off very cold after failures, which wasn’t encouraging for us.
I just wasn’t kept in the loop on any of my bloodwork results [at PREG]. I never got far enough along for them to have to call me for a pregnancy result, but I’m sure if I had gotten pregnant with them, I would have. One doctor would tell me one thing, the other doctor another. It already makes a very emotional time, no need to add more confusion or hurt on the patient... expect to pay anywhere from $2-3k for testing, $1k per IUI and $12-15k for IVF (including drugs)
Nichols creates the treatment plan, but any doctor performs the treatment. It’s the luck of the draw on who you get. He only treated us for one IUI. I hardly saw him at all during our IVF. He was blunt and to the point with treatment options, which is what I initially thought I wanted, however this process is emotional and he comes off very cold after failures, which wasn’t encouraging for us.
Be prepared, he’s not warm and fuzzy
Before even doing any testing infertility testing Nichols said we should skip right to embryo donation. Without knowing any of my history, I felt like skipping straight to embryo donation would help his clinics numbers rather than actually trying to help my husband and me conceive.
Initially he starts you on the lowest dosages and then works his way up. After 3 cycles if the protocol doesn’t work, he changes the protocol for the next 3 in relations to IUIs. For IVF he had me on Menopur and Lupron.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Polowczuk & Lynn Fowler)
The entire nursing staff was fantastic, couldn’t praise them more
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinics strengths would be the fantastic nursing staff. They are compassionate and really care about you, from your first experience until your last. I’ve had one really great doctor there and two not so great doctors in terms of bedside manner. As far as the doctors keeping you in the loop on your numbers (AMH, FSH, TSH, etc), they don’t tell you unless you ask. Front desk is nice, keep in mind they are very busy when you try to schedule appointments via phone, so have patience with them.
No insurance coverage, expect to pay anywhere from $2-3k for testing, $1k per IUI and $12-15k for IVF (including drugs)
He does it based on age, 30 and younger he only likes to transfer one and for 30 and above he will do 2.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I just wasn’t kept in the loop on any of my bloodwork results. I never got far enough along for them to have to call me for a pregnancy result, but I’m sure if I had gotten pregnant with them, I would have. One doctor would tell me one thing, the other doctor another. It already makes a very emotional time, no need to add more confusion or hurt on the patient.
Greenville

Dr Nichols was straightforward with us, gave us the facts and our options, and the likelihood of those options working. He never made us feel rushed during our appointments and explained everything thoroughly. We felt very lucky to have had him as our doctor. ... . Once it was time to decide on a course of action, he clearly laid out our different options and the success rates of each of those options.
Kelsey was amazing. She’s the kind of nurse I always wish to have. She answered all of our questions, never left us waiting during our appointmentments, and was always super friendly. ... The [PREG] clinic in Asheville was small, though I think they moved locations since we last went. It was always clean and the staff friendly. We never had to wait long for our appointments and any questions we thought of after leaving were answered promptly by phone or email.
Dr Nichols explained the results of all of our testing thoroughly and in ways we could clearly understand. Once it was time to decide on a course of action, he clearly laid out our different options and the success rates of each of those options. When our first embryo transfer failed he gave us a few options moving forward and didn’t push us to go a specific way, he just laid out the options and left it up to us to decide. Our second transfer was successful and we now have a beautiful baby boy.
Ask a lot of questions and trust in his medical expertise.
We didn’t do a fresh transfer because we wanted to do genetic testing on our embryos. After testing we were left with 7 frozen embryos. Our first cycle I was on 7 estrogen pills a day, 6 oral and 1 vaginal, and .5cc of PIO. That cycle failed even though my lining and hormone levels were all excellent. The second FET cycle we did Dr Nichols advised us to do a scraping of the uterine lining to promote new cell growth so we did that. My progesterone was a little low so in addition to the 7 estrogen pills a day, he upped my PIO dosage to 1cc and I was also on a progesterone suppository. That cycle resulted in a live birth.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic in Asheville was small, though I think they moved locations since we last went. It was always clean and the staff friendly. We never had to wait long for our appointments and any questions we thought of after leaving were answered promptly by phone or email.
Egg retrieval through the first pregnancy test was around $15,000. The second FET was $3000 not including the cost of medications. We paid for everything out of pocket.
Dr Nichols advised us to transfer one embryo at a time. My only issue was tubal blockage so he seemed pretty confident that we wouldn’t have any issues getting pregnant by FET. He advised that transferring multiple embryos could result in a multiple birth which is higher risk. We opted to only do a single embryo for each transfer because of his advice.
Asheville

I wanted tubal reversal, and thought maybe we were going that route. But by my next visit, he [Dr. John Nichols] strongly suggested IVF. I wish he would have elaborated more on why he didn't want to do a tubal reversal on me. It is like everything shifted, on my next visit. I know it was a few months after my initial work up, but I felt & still feel like I still have a chance with tubal reversal. He was excellent with my ultrasound though. He also explains things very well despite his being blunt. I can deal with that.
[PREG- Greenville's] Strengths: Courteous, calm, professional, they followed up with any requests I had. I met with a lady in the back (I cannot remember her name at present), but she was very understanding and told us about options as far as payment plans/options. She also shared with us that she had IVF. She went into detail about how sometimes the hormones have certain side effects, but it was well worth it bc she has her child now.
I wanted tubal reversal, and thought maybe we were going that route. But by my next visit, he strongly suggested IVF. I wish he would have elaborated more on why he didn't want to do a tubal reversal on me. It is like everything shifted, on my next visit. I know it was a few months after my initial work up, but I felt & still feel like I still have a chance with tubal reversal. He was excellent with my ultrasound though. He also explains things very well despite his being blunt. I can deal with that.
Know that he is smart, yet blunt. My only hang up is that he just didn't want to really hear about doing a tubal reversal by the second visit with me. My situation was a little different. My husband (fiancé at the time) was working in Maryland, and we didn't want to actually do a lot until he moved to SC. But by this time, like I mentioned earlier, Dr. Nichols didn't want to do a tubal reversal on me.
For the most part, I felt like a human. He is, however, very blunt.
I didn't make it to any treatments. I only had an ultrasound. He was excellent at the Ultrasound.
Everyone I came in contact with was extremely friendly and professional.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: Courteous, calm, professional, they followed up with any requests I had. I met with a lady in the back (I cannot remember her name at present), but she was very understanding and told us about options as far as payment plans/options. She also shared with us that she had IVF. She went into detail about how sometimes the hormones have certain side effects, but it was well worth it bc she has her child now. Weaknesses: None that I can think of at the moment.
Some of my labs and I think my ultrasound was covered under insurance. I believe everything else was out of pocket.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Nichols was very honest and very caring during my treatments. With Diminished Ovarian Reserve the prognosis of having a baby was slim. Dr. Nichols allowed me to choose to continue the IVF, even though he thought our chances were only 10%. He not only helped create one baby - but twins with one egg!!... Dr. Nichols is a very knowledgeable and compassionate doctor of infertility. He thoroughly explained my situation and grim outlook on becoming pregnant. However, grim the outlook- Dr. Nichols allowed us to try IVF to conceive.
The clinic [Piedmont Reproduction Endocrinology Group] is very together. They handled all my needs effectively and efficiently. T Staff was very friendly. The clinic has all the necessary lab equipment there, so you didn't have to go other places to get labs done. They were even there on Saturdays and Sundays if needed.... The nursing staff was excellent, caring and compassionate.... Cost was reasonable. Medication, which they have not control over, was very expensive.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Nichols is a very knowledgeable and compassionate doctor of infertility. He thoroughly explained my situation and grim outlook on becoming pregnant. However, grim the outlook- Dr. Nichols allowed us to try IVF to conceive. I have DOR and only produced 6 eggs the last cycle. 3 were retrieved and one was transferred. We ended up pregnant with twins. I am so grateful that Dr. Nichols allowed us the opportunity to help in the decision to try to conceive. He was very straight-forward in my diagnosis and prognosis. Yet when we decided to try, he did everything in his power to help us be successful in becoming pregnant.
Trust him. He knows what he is doing.
My treatment strategies were IVF without birth control for stimulation because of DOR. unfortunately don't remember the medicines used.
The nursing staff was excellent, caring and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is very together. They handled all my needs effectively and efficiently. T Staff was very friendly. The clinic has all the necessary lab equipment there, so you didn't have to go other places to get labs done. They were even there on Saturdays and Sundays if needed.
Because we only harvested 3 eggs, and because of my DOR Dr. Nichols was open to transfer more embryos. Only one embryo made it to day 5 and was transferred.

3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Nichols has been a great doctor. I was previously at another clinic and one of the first things I noticed here is that I actually get to see my assigned doctor quite a bit. I feel he is familiar with my situation. He takes time to answer all of my questions and even came in on a day he was not scheduled to work to perform an unexpected surgery. He is open to hearing my suggestions and feedback as well.
I cannot say enough good things about the staff at PREG. From my very first phone call inquiring about the practice, to now having gone through a year of treatment, they have been an absolute blessing. The staff at my previous clinic were cold and robotic, and nothing could be further from the truth here. I love that I have the ability to reach my nurse via phone at most times without having to leave a message and wait for a call back. Emails are returned promptly. Scheduling is easy as my nurse is able to do that as well. The nursing staff that draws blood and the nurses who are in the room during ultrasounds, egg retrievals, and transfers are all so warm and caring. They actually know who I am and remember me when I come back in for my next visit. I drive out of state for treatment at PREG and the staff is definitely one of the reasons that it's worth it.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
You will get good medical care but you will also feel like you are more than a number, which is very important.
I had previously come from a large fertility center in Atlanta where I was just a number to most of the staff. Coming here, I felt that the clinic was small enough that everyone knew who I was. That includes everyone from front desk staff all the way up to my assigned doctor. I can get questions answered quickly because the staff is friendly and is familiar with me as a patient.
I first had an antagonist protocol using gonal-f and low dose HCG. I transferred 1 embryo fresh, it led to a chemical pregnancy. We PGS tested and transferred one of the tested embryos. That led to an ectopic pregnancy. We then went into our 2nd retrieval, again using an antagonist protocol with gonal-f and low dose HCG. This time at higher doses of gonal-f.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay)
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG is a smaller clinic. I personally have loved this because I get a lot of personalized attention and have easy access to my doctor and nurse. They also have great people on staff who are warm and caring. On the occasions when I don't see my doctor, I am typically seen by one of the other doctors (Dr. Payne). At my old clinic, it was not uncommon to just see a nurse or a nurse practitioner. I like that I am typically seen by a physician here. I also have to say that Dr. Payne is an amazing doctor as well and I feel just as comfortable with him as I do with Dr. Nichols.
the cost for IVF at PREG was significantly lower than at clinics in Atlanta
My doctor was willing to transfer more than one embryo, but suggested one, especially once we had PGS tested. My husband and I agreed with his recommendation.
Greenville

Dr. Nichols wanted to hear what other doctors have done or not done then he explained to me the different options that he could do for me to help me achieve my goal of having a baby. Then he asked me were I felt comfortable starting and how many times we would like to try that option before deciding to move on to the next option.... I have PCOS so he started me on metformin I think 2,000 mg a day and Provera to help start my period and when I started my period I would call in and the nurse would call Clomid in to the pharmacy and tell me what day to take it and when to check for ovulation and when to come in for ultrasounds and when to have intercourse or when to come in for the IUI.
Everyone in both Preg offices are amazing and compassionate.... There offices are amazingly beautiful, clean and welcoming. I love seeing pictures on the walls of previous miracle babies conceived with help of the amazing staff at PREG. The rooms are nicer then most doctors office rooms they really try to make you as comfortable as possible.... The IUI I believe was $550 each try plus I paid $800 for donor sperm....
Dr. Nichols wanted to hear what other doctors have done or not done then he explained to me the different options that he could do for me to help me achieve my goal of having a baby. Then he asked me were I felt comfortable starting and how many times we would like to try that option before deciding to move on to the next option. He made me very comfortable and I completely trusted everything he said he knows what he’s talking about. He was the first doctor that I’ve seen that took the time to listen to me and value my opinion.
He is amazing and he wants nothing more than you to end up with your miracle baby at the end of everything and he will do everything in his power to help you.
Well I have PCOS so he started me on metformin I think 2,000 mg a day and Provera to help start my period and when I started my period I would call in and the nurse would call Clomid in to the pharmacy and tell me what day to take it and when to check for ovulation and when to come in for ultrasounds and when to have intercourse or when to come in for the IUI. The first couple times the clomid wasn’t helping so he upped my dose and I also did gonal-f and it helped we did IUI with donor sperm my choice to try and better my odds of conceiving. It unfortunately did not work either. I decided to take a break and think of my next options and I really feel like IVF is the next best option.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Biggerstaff )
Everyone in both Preg offices are amazing and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The I Ovadril shots were not to pricey in the office I think maybe $50 for one shot and my insurance covered all but $10 of the clomid and all but $5 for the metformin. The IUI I believe was $550 each try plus I paid $800 for donor sperm.
We never got that far.
Spartanburg

I saw Dr. Nichols for the initial consult, the HSG, and my 2nd IUI. He was respectful and clearly optimistic about my prospects of achieving pregnancy. He initially recommended Clomid due to my history of unsuccessful home inseminations, but he told me it was may choice. I chose to do an unmedicated cycle first, but when that didn't work and my post-ovulation progesterone came back low, I agreed to try Clomid for the 2nd try, which is the one that worked.
I loved the intimacy of the [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] Spartanburg office, and it was an easy drive from where I live. My only complaint is that I couldn't do the IUI's there (because I was using donor sperm, and they could only store that at the Greenville office)...The nurses were mostly nice and helpful. One nurse was somewhat negative when doing my follicle scan for the medicated cycle, as she seemed disappointed that I only had one mature follicle with two smaller ones. I was happy with those results, however, because I had been concerned about the risk of multiples.
Do your own research ahead of time so that he won't have to spend a lot of time going over "the basics" and can focus on your individual situation.
Office staff was friendly and remembered me when I came for follow-up visits. Dr. Nichols listened, took me seriously, and seemed to genuinely care about helping me get pregnant. He could tell I had done a lot of research ahead of time, and he did not question my decision to pursue IUI and a single woman.
He recommended I start with a medicated IUI cycle using Clomid, based on my history of 4 unsuccessful home inseminations, but he made it clear that it was my choice whether or not to use medication. I chose not to use Clomid for my first IUI, but I did use a trigger shot. When that cycle didn't work, I agreed to a prescription for 50mg Clomid to take cycle days 3-7, and that IUI resulted in my daughter.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I loved the intimacy of the Spartanburg office, and it was an easy drive from where I live. My only complaint is that I couldn't do the IUI's there (because I was using donor sperm, and they could only store that at the Greenville office).
My insurance covered all office visits (consult, blood work, HSG, IUIs, and ultrasounds) with a copay. I had to pay out-of-pocket for sperm processing, which I think was $100, and for the trigger shot, which was $50 each time.

2011 - 2012
Dr. Nichols was the first doctor that I saw at PREG, but I ended up switching to a different doctor later because I liked him better. I felt that Dr. Nichols did not have a great bedside manner and did not always say things in a caring and compassionate way. However he is a very skilled doctor and he did do both of the transfers that were successful.... I wouldn't exactly say I was treated like a number, but I didn't feel like he had a very good bedside manner.
The staff at PREG's Spartanburg office are very caring and compassionate! I have been a patient there since 2011, and the faces have changed.... I highly recommend PREG to anyone dealing with infertility. The staff is very compassionate. My phone calls or emails have always been returned promptly, usually the same day. I especially love nurse Stephanie at the Spartanburg office. She and the rest of the staff really go the extra mile to make sure you receive the best care!
2011 - 2012
I would recommend seeing Dr. Payne instead.
The cycle that I was a patient of Dr. Nichols was a full cycle. I don't remember exact doses but I can give the drugs that were used. Birth control first, then Lupron to shut down the ovaries. Then I took Gonal-F, estrogen patches, and progesterone shots. Doses of the Gonal-F were increased as needed after each monitoring appointment. I did really well with this protocol as it resulted in our first son!
The staff at PREG's Spartanburg office are very caring and compassionate! I have been a patient there since 2011, and the faces have changed. Like the primary nurse when I did my first cycle had retired by the time I went back to try for our second child. But I have never received anything but the best care.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The monitoring appointments are always first thing in the morning, but they have to do it that way so they can get the blood work to the lab and be able to tell you that day if there will be any changes to your meds. There were usually not very many other people waiting and my wait was not more than 15 minutes.
I believe I paid about $2300 for a full IVF cycle. That didn't include meds. I don't remember exactly how much I paid for those. I had infertility coverage for the medical and the medications.
I don't think my doctor had a preference. I doubt he would have supported transferring more than 2, not that we would have wanted to. We were educated on the risks.

2005 - 2012
Dr. Nichols was absolute the perfect combination of a doctor with great bedside manner and blunt honesty. With each failed pregnancy attempt, before a successful pregnancy, Dr. Nichols would call me to check on me and encourage me. He was simply the best!... Every concern I had Dr. Nichols addressed and ultimately, made me feel better about. It was my favorite thing about him. I trusted his opinion and expertise and I felt confident in each step in my journey.
Everyone [PREG] treated my husband and myself with compassion and concern.... The absolute hardest part was payment. I had excellent insurance and was considered "one of the lucky ones." However, I still had to pay 20% and all of my medications. It was a huge financial strain and sometimes, I did not feel the compassion in the billing department.... Dr. Nichols was absolute the perfect combination of a doctor with great bedside manner and blunt honesty.
2005 - 2012
I honestly do not feel like there were any weaknesses to speak of. Every concern I had Dr. Nichols addressed and ultimately, made me feel better about. It was my favorite thing about him. I trusted his opinion and expertise and I felt confident in each step in my journey.
Tell him everything that scares you or concerns you. He really wants to know.
I went through a couple of cycles of ovulation "stimulator" drugs. Then, we did exploratory surgery to confirm that I had endometriosis. Soon after, I went through IUI as failed attempts. After a year of failed pregnancies, we discovered that my endometriosis was just as bas as it was in the beginning. I had another surgery to "clean" me out and then we decided to go straight to In vitro for best results. The first attempt was failed, but we had frozen embryos. The second IVF was performed as soon as possible and it was successful.
It has been so long that I do not remember their names, but I never once felt like I was not cared for. Everyone treated my husband and myself with compassion and concern.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The absolute hardest part was payment. I had excellent insurance and was considered "one of the lucky ones." However, I still had to pay 20% and all of my medications. It was a huge financial strain and sometimes, I did not feel the compassion in the billing department. :)
I do not remember the total....It was too daunting to think about. :) However, my insurance covered 80% of my treatment, otherwise there is no way we could have gone through with IVF. I have a beautiful 16 yr. old because of Dr. Nichols and that 80%.

Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS
Two FET cycles so far [with Dr. John Nichols]- BC pills for a few weeks, then estrogen, metformin, prenatal vitamins, PIO...makes sure I understand everything before I leave...I never had to question anything once I left the office. Every visit Dr. Nichols made sure I understood what we were doing and what I would be doing next to get me the results we wanted. He is always compassionate and never leaves me feeling confused.
Lindsay [nurse at PREG] always finds time to check in on me during my two week waits, and is always very quick to respond to my phone calls and emails. If she isn't available she makes sure I have spoken to someone upon her return...Egg retrieval/FET cycle 1- $12,000 before medications. FET second- $3200 before medications...So far they only transferred one each cycle. They don't want to transfer multiples as it doesn't seem to help increase the chance of pregnancy just the chance of multiples. Clinic Description
Endometriosis, Male Factor, PCOS
Make sure you always ask questions so you have a full understanding of everything that is going on with your IVF cycle.
Everyone in the office takes the time to get to know you and your case. Dr. Nichols makes sure I understand everything before I leave.
Egg retrieval- do not remember the medications. Two FET cycles so far- BC pills for a few weeks, then estrogen, metformin, prenatal vitamins, PIO.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Polowzcuk)
Lindsay always finds time to check in on me during my two week waits, and is always very quick to respond to my phone calls and emails. If she isn't available she makes sure I have spoken to someone upon her return.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I don't have any weaknesses to list. They have all been very helpful to me and my husband through the course of IVF. Everyone makes sure we are well taken care of and all of our needs are met. As a new patient I would recommend doing your research ahead of time just to get an idea of what may/may not take place.
Greenville

Dr Nichols is very compassionate and caring. He explains everything in detail gives us our options and also his honest opinion which helps with decision making. Any questions we have he is more than happy to answer. He goes over next steps very clearly so we know what to expect.... Dr Nichols is very compassionate and caring. He answered all my questions and was very knowledgeable.
The Drs and nurses are very friendly and helpful every time we are there [at Piedmont Reproductive Endo Group-Asheville]. They are always ready to greet us when we walk in the office. The clinic is very clean and inviting. The pictures they having hanging on the walls give you hope and the atmosphere is always pleasant... The nursing staff has been wonderful. They are very nice Everytime I call to ask a simple question. When we are at the clinic they are always right there willing to help or answer any questions we may have. They are always smiling and happy to see their patients.
To make sure you make a list of all the questions you have and feel free to ask him anything. He is very knowledgeable and explains things very well.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The Drs and nurses are very friendly and helpful every time we are there. They are always ready to greet us when we walk in the office. The clinic is very clean and inviting. The pictures they having hanging on the walls give you hope and the atmosphere is always pleasant.
I have just started seeing Dr Nichols and just recently went over cost for the procedure we are looking at doing. He gave us a detailed list of information about pricing and nutse was able to sit down and talk to us in more depth about the financial part.

PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
He [Dr. Nichols] is very kind and to the point and that’s what I Love about him. Always answers all my questions and is willing to help in any way. A great doctor very caring. He sat me down after my first set of labs and went through and explained each one and what they meant, trying to give me some answers as to all of my losses. I would recommend him highly to anyone struggling with infertility... He started me on femara to induce ovulation,because I had been on clomid for way to long.
Strengths: very kind offices and compassionate and very tentative. Weakness: I really don’t have any complaints honestly, it would be nice to see the doctor more often but not always necessary. I think this [PREG] is a great clinic and would refer anyone... [Nursing Staff] They are all so very kind and compassionate. They always call back promptly after leaving messages answers every question in detail, always explain procedures and results
PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
He is very kind and to the point and that’s what I Love about him. Always answers all my questions and is willing to help in any way. A great doctor very caring. He sat me down after my first set of labs and went through and explained each one and what they meant, trying to give me some answers as to all of my losses. I would recommend him highly to anyone struggling with infertility
To listen to his advice and try to do everything he says
He is always very kind and understanding, explains everything in detail and answers all my questions.
He started me on femara to induce ovulation,because I had been on clomid for way to long. Then I come in for a follicle scab on day 11, based on that I will do an hcg trigger shot, then 3 days post ovulation I will start progesterone suppositories to help try and prevent miscarriage. I also am on daily aspirin and metformin due to pcos and pregnancy loss.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: very kind offices and compassionate and very tentative. Weakness: I really don’t have any complaints honestly, it would be nice to see the doctor more often but not always necessary. I think this is a great clinic and would refer anyone
Iui:475$ Hcg shot 80$ Ultrasound copay:50$

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
He [Dr. Nichols] presented information in a nice but professional way. He reviewed results with us so we could understand them. He also presented us with different treatment options and the pros and cons of each. He also would ask us at each visit if we had any questions regarding our care...We tried using letrozole with IUI for our first cycle which was not successful. We then tried letrozole only and did become pregnant but miscarried at 7.5 weeks. Currently, we are taking things slowly.
IUI was $695.00 [at PREG]. Trigger injection was $100.00. Letrozole was $4.00 per cycle...They are receptive and typically you will receive a call back in a timely manner. They also present you with financial information at your first visit which is very helpful. My only critique is that I called to learn the results of my HCG test and was told by one staff member that I would likely miscarry or have an ectopic pregnancy. Another staff member told me that this was a possibility but everything may be fine.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
He presented information in a nice but professional way. He reviewed results with us so we could understand them. He also presented us with different treatment options and the pros and cons of each. He also would ask us at each visit if we had any questions regarding our care.
Ask questions if you don't understand something.
He took the time to discuss our diagnosis and possible options for treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Mikayla)
Mikayla was very helpful through the process. I felt like I could ask her anything if I didn't know the answer.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
IUI was $695.00. Trigger injection was $100.00. Letrozole was $4.00 per cycle.
What specific things went wrong at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I was given two different responses regarding my test results as discussed previously.