Medical SchoolU. of Georgia
(864)-232-7734
1330 Boiling Springs Rd.
Spartanburg, SC 29303
(864)-583-2669
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend John Nichols to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group to a friend?
Dr. Nichols is a very good communicator and listener he also shows compassion. While going over my husbands semen analysis test with us (which was not good) he explained all our options and the different steps he would like to do to try and help us be able to conceive using my husbands sperm. Instead of just going straight to donor sperm he is trying to do what he can so we can avoid donor. He didn't give up on us and that means so much!! He knows its important to us to be able to use my husbands sperm so he is going to let him do hcg shots to see if that can improve his count. I do not have anything bad to say about Dr.Nichols because he has always been excellent every time we've seen him.
How was your experience with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Be straight forward with what you want and he will do everything he can to make that happen.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr.Nichols plus his staff are absolutely amazing! They never rush us during our appointments and always make sure they answer any questions we have. They remember who we are and call us by name when they see us. I couldn't ask for a better place to go to help my husband and I during this stressful time.
I love that the nurses dont treat you like you're just another patient that they're seeing. They treat you like family and it makes the stress of the situation not feel so bad. When we go 90% of the nurses have smiles on their faces. The only negative thing I could say is that a few of the nurses that check you out could be a little more friendly and welcoming.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff is very nice and understanding. The office and the rooms are always clean and the waiting room always smells good. It is a easy location to get to and the suite is easy to find also. Im always taken back to be seen in less than 10 minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Nichols at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
So far with my treatment its basically been blood work which runs me around $300. I had to have a ultra sound and dye ran into my uterus which I paid out of pocket $750. I had to have a polyp removed in the Greenville office and that was $475. The HCG shots my husband is going to start taking is going to be $320 a month.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Nichols made me feel excited about our plan with real expectations. He gives the facts and does what is best for our journey. He really does what he can to help in anyway. Although our first cycle was not a success, I would not prefer anyone else to handle my care. He is a great doctor with an abundance of knowledge and I would recommend him to everyone.... Our first cycle with Dr. Nichols was a fairly new process called simply ivf.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Don’t worry! Dr. Nichols will have your best interest at heart and will guide you through the process in the best way.
Dr.Nichols wanted what was best for my husband and I and still does. Looking at every number before the process starts allows him to alter the cycle based on our infertility.
Describe the protocols John Nichols used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
Our first cycle with Dr. Nichols was a fairly new process called simply ivf. After looking at my prior history, recent blood work, ultrasound and my husbands history, semen analysis and blood work, he felt this was a good plan for us along with my own interest. The process is very controlled and monitored throughout with blood work and ultrasounds to make sure we are at an optimum for a retrieval. If my follicles were not at an optimum state for retrieval we kept going until they were with more days of medicine to get them there. We had a good number of mature eggs for retrieval however my husbands sperm were not able to fertilize my eggs properly making my number of embryos low. We transferred the one good embryo we had and ended with a chemical pregnancy. I agree with every decision made throughout the process and wouldn’t have changed the way the process went. If there is a failed treatment, the doctors come together to talk about a plan of action to get the best result moving forward. I agree with every decision and plan made for our journey.
All of the nurses were great throughout the process. Several were in charge of my care but felt I comfortable with all. They were compassionate and helpful with any questions.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG is always prompt with appointments and emailing or calling back. I never had to wait! I was able to work with my schedule for appointment times. Financial department was very informative and helpful with everything. I cannot complain about this clinic.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Monitoring appointments worked perfect with my schedule and I have a full time job. I never had to wait. I never felt like I was rushed. Very efficient office.
Simply ivf cost a standard $5000 plus $1000-$2000 of medicine. That covered monitoring appointments, retrieval, transfer, freezing etc. Stephanie in the financial department was amazing with helping me understand and went above and beyond to break everything down. VERY HELPFUL!!!
Describe John Nichols's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Dr. Nichols does recommend a single embryo transfer is most cases, however will consider all things to allow he best option for the best outcome. I agree with his approach.
Greenville
Dr. Nichols is very good at relating your individual condition with statics. He has a neutral way of communicating and helping one understand their condition what could take place after treatment begins....Be prepared for no nonsense and no sugar coated communication. Dr. Nichols will guide you through everything, but you have to be willing to let him do so....Dr. Nichols can be blunt at times, but you know he is only trying to convey all of the possible outcomes-- the good, the bad and the ugly.
Dr. Nichols can be blunt at times, but you know he is only trying to convey all of the possible outcomes-- the good, the bad and the ugly. We all know that IVF has all of the above!! At one time, Dr. Nichols was especially compassionate when I broke down while talking about having to ask another woman to carry my child. I always look forward to my visits because I feel I am being treated and cared for by a very knowledgeable doctor.
Dr. Nichols is very good at relating your individual condition with statics. He has a neutral way of communicating and helping one understand their condition what could take place after treatment begins. He is stern but caring, and you know when you leave that he knew exactly which patient he was working with and has a plan for you as an individual/couple.
I will be taking birth control to start followed by Menopur and Lupron. I have not actually started the meds yet so I feel I cannot give much insight on this at this time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey Forbes)
The staff at PREG are amazing!! That may sound cliche, but the first RE's office we visited could not hold a candle to them! We love going to our appointments because they are prepared for us. They have our files out ready and waiting for when we walk in the door! Each and every person that we have come in contact with from the front desk staff to Dr. Nichols himself have been wonderful! It's a warm and inviting atmosphere, and that is so very important when you are going through somethings so emotionally and physically involved.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic as a whole is 100% spot on. Every employee is very friendly and prepared for you when you come in. I always follow up to make sure that things have been followed through with, i.e. payments documented, appts scheduled, etc., but I really feel they don't need any checking up on! They're really great!
We are using the Simply IVF method, and I know the promotional rate that we were given is no longer available, but it is still just have the cost of traditional IVF-- between 5,000 and 6,000. Of course, we will have to use our gestational carrier for the transfer, and this will be an additional $8000 plus her medications.
This office does allow you to chose whether you want to implant one or two embryos-- not more than two, but they do recommend only transferring one.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Nichols was very honest and very caring during my treatments. With Diminished Ovarian Reserve the prognosis of having a baby was slim. Dr. Nichols allowed me to choose to continue the IVF, even though he thought our chances were only 10%. He not only helped create one baby - but twins with one egg!!... Dr. Nichols is a very knowledgeable and compassionate doctor of infertility. He thoroughly explained my situation and grim outlook on becoming pregnant. However, grim the outlook- Dr. Nichols allowed us to try IVF to conceive.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Nichols is a very knowledgeable and compassionate doctor of infertility. He thoroughly explained my situation and grim outlook on becoming pregnant. However, grim the outlook- Dr. Nichols allowed us to try IVF to conceive. I have DOR and only produced 6 eggs the last cycle. 3 were retrieved and one was transferred. We ended up pregnant with twins. I am so grateful that Dr. Nichols allowed us the opportunity to help in the decision to try to conceive. He was very straight-forward in my diagnosis and prognosis. Yet when we decided to try, he did everything in his power to help us be successful in becoming pregnant.
Trust him. He knows what he is doing.
My treatment strategies were IVF without birth control for stimulation because of DOR. unfortunately don't remember the medicines used.
The nursing staff was excellent, caring and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is very together. They handled all my needs effectively and efficiently. T Staff was very friendly. The clinic has all the necessary lab equipment there, so you didn't have to go other places to get labs done. They were even there on Saturdays and Sundays if needed.
Cost was reasonable. Medication, which they have not control over, was very expensive.
Because we only harvested 3 eggs, and because of my DOR Dr. Nichols was open to transfer more embryos. Only one embryo made it to day 5 and was transferred.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Nichols has been a great doctor. I was previously at another clinic and one of the first things I noticed here is that I actually get to see my assigned doctor quite a bit. I feel he is familiar with my situation. He takes time to answer all of my questions and even came in on a day he was not scheduled to work to perform an unexpected surgery. He is open to hearing my suggestions and feedback as well.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
You will get good medical care but you will also feel like you are more than a number, which is very important.
I had previously come from a large fertility center in Atlanta where I was just a number to most of the staff. Coming here, I felt that the clinic was small enough that everyone knew who I was. That includes everyone from front desk staff all the way up to my assigned doctor. I can get questions answered quickly because the staff is friendly and is familiar with me as a patient.
I first had an antagonist protocol using gonal-f and low dose HCG. I transferred 1 embryo fresh, it led to a chemical pregnancy. We PGS tested and transferred one of the tested embryos. That led to an ectopic pregnancy. We then went into our 2nd retrieval, again using an antagonist protocol with gonal-f and low dose HCG. This time at higher doses of gonal-f.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay)
I cannot say enough good things about the staff at PREG. From my very first phone call inquiring about the practice, to now having gone through a year of treatment, they have been an absolute blessing. The staff at my previous clinic were cold and robotic, and nothing could be further from the truth here. I love that I have the ability to reach my nurse via phone at most times without having to leave a message and wait for a call back. Emails are returned promptly. Scheduling is easy as my nurse is able to do that as well. The nursing staff that draws blood and the nurses who are in the room during ultrasounds, egg retrievals, and transfers are all so warm and caring. They actually know who I am and remember me when I come back in for my next visit. I drive out of state for treatment at PREG and the staff is definitely one of the reasons that it's worth it.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG is a smaller clinic. I personally have loved this because I get a lot of personalized attention and have easy access to my doctor and nurse. They also have great people on staff who are warm and caring. On the occasions when I don't see my doctor, I am typically seen by one of the other doctors (Dr. Payne). At my old clinic, it was not uncommon to just see a nurse or a nurse practitioner. I like that I am typically seen by a physician here. I also have to say that Dr. Payne is an amazing doctor as well and I feel just as comfortable with him as I do with Dr. Nichols.
the cost for IVF at PREG was significantly lower than at clinics in Atlanta
My doctor was willing to transfer more than one embryo, but suggested one, especially once we had PGS tested. My husband and I agreed with his recommendation.
Greenville
Dr. Nichols wanted to hear what other doctors have done or not done then he explained to me the different options that he could do for me to help me achieve my goal of having a baby. Then he asked me were I felt comfortable starting and how many times we would like to try that option before deciding to move on to the next option.... I have PCOS so he started me on metformin I think 2,000 mg a day and Provera to help start my period and when I started my period I would call in and the nurse would call Clomid in to the pharmacy and tell me what day to take it and when to check for ovulation and when to come in for ultrasounds and when to have intercourse or when to come in for the IUI.
Dr. Nichols wanted to hear what other doctors have done or not done then he explained to me the different options that he could do for me to help me achieve my goal of having a baby. Then he asked me were I felt comfortable starting and how many times we would like to try that option before deciding to move on to the next option. He made me very comfortable and I completely trusted everything he said he knows what he’s talking about. He was the first doctor that I’ve seen that took the time to listen to me and value my opinion.
He is amazing and he wants nothing more than you to end up with your miracle baby at the end of everything and he will do everything in his power to help you.
Well I have PCOS so he started me on metformin I think 2,000 mg a day and Provera to help start my period and when I started my period I would call in and the nurse would call Clomid in to the pharmacy and tell me what day to take it and when to check for ovulation and when to come in for ultrasounds and when to have intercourse or when to come in for the IUI. The first couple times the clomid wasn’t helping so he upped my dose and I also did gonal-f and it helped we did IUI with donor sperm my choice to try and better my odds of conceiving. It unfortunately did not work either. I decided to take a break and think of my next options and I really feel like IVF is the next best option.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Biggerstaff )
Everyone in both Preg offices are amazing and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
There offices are amazingly beautiful, clean and welcoming. I love seeing pictures on the walls of previous miracle babies conceived with help of the amazing staff at PREG. The rooms are nicer then most doctors office rooms they really try to make you as comfortable as possible.
The I Ovadril shots were not to pricey in the office I think maybe $50 for one shot and my insurance covered all but $10 of the clomid and all but $5 for the metformin. The IUI I believe was $550 each try plus I paid $800 for donor sperm.
We never got that far.
Spartanburg
I saw Dr. Nichols for the initial consult, the HSG, and my 2nd IUI. He was respectful and clearly optimistic about my prospects of achieving pregnancy. He initially recommended Clomid due to my history of unsuccessful home inseminations, but he told me it was may choice. I chose to do an unmedicated cycle first, but when that didn't work and my post-ovulation progesterone came back low, I agreed to try Clomid for the 2nd try, which is the one that worked.
Do your own research ahead of time so that he won't have to spend a lot of time going over "the basics" and can focus on your individual situation.
Office staff was friendly and remembered me when I came for follow-up visits. Dr. Nichols listened, took me seriously, and seemed to genuinely care about helping me get pregnant. He could tell I had done a lot of research ahead of time, and he did not question my decision to pursue IUI and a single woman.
He recommended I start with a medicated IUI cycle using Clomid, based on my history of 4 unsuccessful home inseminations, but he made it clear that it was my choice whether or not to use medication. I chose not to use Clomid for my first IUI, but I did use a trigger shot. When that cycle didn't work, I agreed to a prescription for 50mg Clomid to take cycle days 3-7, and that IUI resulted in my daughter.
The nurses were mostly nice and helpful. One nurse was somewhat negative when doing my follicle scan for the medicated cycle, as she seemed disappointed that I only had one mature follicle with two smaller ones. I was happy with those results, however, because I had been concerned about the risk of multiples.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I loved the intimacy of the Spartanburg office, and it was an easy drive from where I live. My only complaint is that I couldn't do the IUI's there (because I was using donor sperm, and they could only store that at the Greenville office).
My insurance covered all office visits (consult, blood work, HSG, IUIs, and ultrasounds) with a copay. I had to pay out-of-pocket for sperm processing, which I think was $100, and for the trigger shot, which was $50 each time.
2011 - 2012
Dr. Nichols was the first doctor that I saw at PREG, but I ended up switching to a different doctor later because I liked him better. I felt that Dr. Nichols did not have a great bedside manner and did not always say things in a caring and compassionate way. However he is a very skilled doctor and he did do both of the transfers that were successful.... I wouldn't exactly say I was treated like a number, but I didn't feel like he had a very good bedside manner.
2011 - 2012
I would recommend seeing Dr. Payne instead.
The cycle that I was a patient of Dr. Nichols was a full cycle. I don't remember exact doses but I can give the drugs that were used. Birth control first, then Lupron to shut down the ovaries. Then I took Gonal-F, estrogen patches, and progesterone shots. Doses of the Gonal-F were increased as needed after each monitoring appointment. I did really well with this protocol as it resulted in our first son!
The staff at PREG's Spartanburg office are very caring and compassionate! I have been a patient there since 2011, and the faces have changed. Like the primary nurse when I did my first cycle had retired by the time I went back to try for our second child. But I have never received anything but the best care.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I highly recommend PREG to anyone dealing with infertility. The staff is very compassionate. My phone calls or emails have always been returned promptly, usually the same day. I especially love nurse Stephanie at the Spartanburg office. She and the rest of the staff really go the extra mile to make sure you receive the best care!
The monitoring appointments are always first thing in the morning, but they have to do it that way so they can get the blood work to the lab and be able to tell you that day if there will be any changes to your meds. There were usually not very many other people waiting and my wait was not more than 15 minutes.
I believe I paid about $2300 for a full IVF cycle. That didn't include meds. I don't remember exactly how much I paid for those. I had infertility coverage for the medical and the medications.
I don't think my doctor had a preference. I doubt he would have supported transferring more than 2, not that we would have wanted to. We were educated on the risks.
2005 - 2012
Dr. Nichols was absolute the perfect combination of a doctor with great bedside manner and blunt honesty. With each failed pregnancy attempt, before a successful pregnancy, Dr. Nichols would call me to check on me and encourage me. He was simply the best!... Every concern I had Dr. Nichols addressed and ultimately, made me feel better about. It was my favorite thing about him. I trusted his opinion and expertise and I felt confident in each step in my journey.
2005 - 2012
I honestly do not feel like there were any weaknesses to speak of. Every concern I had Dr. Nichols addressed and ultimately, made me feel better about. It was my favorite thing about him. I trusted his opinion and expertise and I felt confident in each step in my journey.
Tell him everything that scares you or concerns you. He really wants to know.
I went through a couple of cycles of ovulation "stimulator" drugs. Then, we did exploratory surgery to confirm that I had endometriosis. Soon after, I went through IUI as failed attempts. After a year of failed pregnancies, we discovered that my endometriosis was just as bas as it was in the beginning. I had another surgery to "clean" me out and then we decided to go straight to In vitro for best results. The first attempt was failed, but we had frozen embryos. The second IVF was performed as soon as possible and it was successful.
It has been so long that I do not remember their names, but I never once felt like I was not cared for. Everyone treated my husband and myself with compassion and concern.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The absolute hardest part was payment. I had excellent insurance and was considered "one of the lucky ones." However, I still had to pay 20% and all of my medications. It was a huge financial strain and sometimes, I did not feel the compassion in the billing department. :)
I do not remember the total....It was too daunting to think about. :) However, my insurance covered 80% of my treatment, otherwise there is no way we could have gone through with IVF. I have a beautiful 16 yr. old because of Dr. Nichols and that 80%.
Anovulation, Unexplained
He [Dr. John Nicols] has been very thorough with explaining everything in detail and always making sure we felt comfortable. I always felt like I was talking to a family member and felt comfortable. He has gone above and beyond with meeting with us about any concerns we have. He is very compassionate and reassured us with any setbacks we had. He kept up my confidence!!
Anovulation, Unexplained
He has been very thorough with explaining everything in detail and always making sure we felt comfortable. I always felt like I was talking to a family member and felt comfortable. He has gone above and beyond with meeting with us about any concerns we have. He is very compassionate and reassured us with any setbacks we had. He kept up my confidence!!
Tell him everything- he will try his best to figure out a solution
Answered any questions we had. Followed up with us regarding concerns and made us feel like family!!
Trying clomid and femaera first before injectables.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Megan Vazant)
Megan- I cannot say enough wonderful things about her- I mean she has been such a blessing!!! I could joke with her and she made me feel completely at ease when some things were uncomfortable. She is the best nurse that I have ever had in my life!!!!!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
weaknesses- did not give us IVF protocol in enough time to research options of buying drugs. We would have saves thousands if not more if we had ample time to research. There was a lot of waiting time at appointments. I would NOT recommend LINDSAY POLOWCZUK- she was one of the nurses that treated us like we were 5 years old and reprimanded us for things. strengths- worked as much as they could with our work schedules.
drugs were very expensive and we should have know what we needed in advance so we could buy cheaper
They suggested we transfer 1 or 2 but not any more
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
He [Dr. Nichols] is very kind and to the point and that’s what I Love about him. Always answers all my questions and is willing to help in any way. A great doctor very caring. He sat me down after my first set of labs and went through and explained each one and what they meant, trying to give me some answers as to all of my losses. I would recommend him highly to anyone struggling with infertility... He started me on femara to induce ovulation,because I had been on clomid for way to long.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
He is very kind and to the point and that’s what I Love about him. Always answers all my questions and is willing to help in any way. A great doctor very caring. He sat me down after my first set of labs and went through and explained each one and what they meant, trying to give me some answers as to all of my losses. I would recommend him highly to anyone struggling with infertility
To listen to his advice and try to do everything he says
He is always very kind and understanding, explains everything in detail and answers all my questions.
He started me on femara to induce ovulation,because I had been on clomid for way to long. Then I come in for a follicle scab on day 11, based on that I will do an hcg trigger shot, then 3 days post ovulation I will start progesterone suppositories to help try and prevent miscarriage. I also am on daily aspirin and metformin due to pcos and pregnancy loss.
They are all so very kind and compassionate. They always call back promptly after leaving messages answers every question in detail, always explain procedures and results
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: very kind offices and compassionate and very tentative. Weakness: I really don’t have any complaints honestly, it would be nice to see the doctor more often but not always necessary. I think this is a great clinic and would refer anyone
Iui:475$ Hcg shot 80$ Ultrasound copay:50$
Asheville
He [Dr. Nichols] is a Compassionate, caring, and understanding doctor. He always gave us all our options and what he thought would be best for our situation. He had a great bedside manner. He took the time to explain things when we had questions or didn’t understand something. He was encouraging during the process of our treatmen.... Suggested to attempt iui, after the second failed attempted he suggested ivf but gave the option to try iui one more time.
He is a Compassionate, caring, and understanding doctor. He always gave us all our options and what he thought would be best for our situation. He had a great bedside manner. He took the time to explain things when we had questions or didn’t understand something. He was encouraging during the process of our treatmen.
A great fertility doctor, very educated in fertility treatments
The doctors at Preg always went out of their way to listen to you, give advice, provide excellent care, and take the time for each of their patients. It always felt like a family when being cared for at Preg
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey)
The nurses at Preg were great communicators. They were caring and compassionate. Always did a great job explaining medications and procedures. Performed their task in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Great clinic. Small but easy to find. When calling the clinic always easy to speak with someone. Always clean. Did a great job at providing privacy. At each appointment theWaiting time was appropriate.
While doing fertility treatment insurance did not cover the treatments. Each iui was 400 dollars, not counting the medications, between medications and the ivf treatment it was about 20,000 to 25,000 dollars. We spent the extra money to get the embryos tested and we are glad we did considering we only had one perfect little miracle out of 4 good embryos.
Asheville
Dr. Nichols is brilliant at what he does. He is on the "blunt" side of explanations, but he is thorough and makes sure there is complete understanding. He is a busy man, but he does take time to get to know you specifically in order to best treat you.... For all three cycles we used Femara 7.5mg along with Gonal-F injections and HCG trigger shots. I unfortunately did not ovulate on any of the cycles, even when we upped dosages on the injections.
Know yourself! Have a full history ready when you go for your first appointment. And also to be ready for some hard truths at times, but know that they are necessary!
He was very personal and professional at the same time. He never made me feel like my specific issues didn't matter or were "just a number".
The nursing staff are wonderful! They are so compassionate and patient. They are also very knowledgeable and can explain rationale over again if need be.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic in Asheville is smaller, but nice! They are unable to do some procedures at this clinic and therefore offer those procedures in either the hospital near by (which is way more expensive) or in their Greenville/Spartanburg office which is a little drive away. Also, Dr. Nichols travels between the offices and is currently only at the Asheville clinic on Wednesdays.
Unfortunately my insurance did not cover any costs at PREG, however my husbands insurance covered some of the appointments/treatments/ultrasounds. Otherwise, we would have paid $400+ a visit.
Asheville
I truely felt like he [Dr. Nichols] cared about our situation even though I know he has a lot of patients he sees everyday. I felt like he was going to do everything possible to help us grow our family. He did a good job answering our questions and explaining different options.... His bed side manor was excellent and even though I know he deals with couples trying to grow their families on a daily basis I still felt he cared about my husband and I and not just another patient.
I truely felt like he cared about our situation even though I know he has a lot of patients he sees everyday. I felt like he was going to do everything possible to help us grow our family. He did a good job answering our questions and explaining different options.
Schedule a consultation appointment ASAP.
Personal consultation and follow up visits. His bed side manor was excellent and even though I know he deals with couples trying to grow their families on a daily basis I still felt he cared about my husband and I and not just another patient.
Started out with injections (3 cycles) and due to age and time and insurance and our infertility diagnosis we are moving towards IVF.
Upbeat, friendly and very knowledgeable
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The Wait time for each visit has been very short and appointment availability has been great. I would recommend anyone and call for a consultation appointment ASAP. I will be able to give more information once we start and go through our IVF cycle.
Consultation appointment cost, day 12 follicle scan, follow up blood work, X-ray scan
2014 - 2017
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Nichols was very professional and was willing to give me choices based on my fertility diagnosis. I was never limited in what treatment that they would consider or course of action throughout my treatment. Any questions that I had were addressed and I never felt rushed.... This clinic has several offices that are available that work together if needed. I never had trouble getting appointments or getting in touch with someone if necessary. All of the staff and doctors are very knowledgeable and can accommodate a wide variety of needs.
2014 - 2017
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Do not be afraid to ask questions or advice on course of treatment.
All of my concerns were addressed and everyone was very patient and caring about my diagnosis and plan of treatment.
First IUI cycle was with clomid.
Hands down, Stephanie was the best nurse! She was very understanding and good about answering any questions that I had. She was always available and prompt if I needed anything. I probably would have gave up if it were not for her. She made time for me and was always accommodating.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Insurance covered some expenses. Overall total treatment care was at or a little over $25,000.
I was given an option to transfer one embryo or two. It was advised to only transfer one embryo at a time since they were of high quality. The doctor was very good at explaining the process and the pros and cons of one versus two.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Dr. Nichols was very straight forward and always positive with me. He was fast and efficient as going through these procedures are not fun but he always made you feel special and like your day was going to come to have the baby you always wanted.... 3 IUI's, recommended that we move on to IVF. 1st Fresh transfer of one embryo did not take so we transferred 2 embryos frozen and we had a baby with one.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
He is very straight forward, no sugar coating.
All the nurses and the doctor were very genuine. I even brought my son in to see everyone at a few weeks old and they were all very excited!
They always knew who I was and were very compassionate. One of the nurses had been through infertility treatments and so could relate.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They get you in fast, the front desk is great and will really work with you. IFV is expensive and our insurance wouldn't cover so we reviewed options for loans. The staff really seem to care about each patient. They still call me to check up on my son and he is 18 months now.
$20,000 for 3 IUI, 1 fresh IVF, 1 frozen IVF
Asheville
Dr.Nichols is very educational in his personalized discussions, he makes great decisions based on your situation not what has worked in the past. The only thing I didnt like was the shifting of Dr. to patient ordeal, we seen many physicians but everything always went back to him.
Be prepared to take action, this Dr. doesn't waste your time nor your money.
I felt more human with this Physician from the very beginning. He spoke directly to me and had a personalized plan of care for my husband and I situation.
The nursing staff is amazing and prompt. I've called many times and received same day appts and detailed answers. They've kept in contact thru each cycle. They make a great team.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The only weakness I notice is the phone service it's almost impossible to get a nurse on the line or to initially get an answer sometimes, you're almost always rooted to another preg. The strengths are they're educated and very informative. They show true compassion and great concern for your desire.
Spartanburg
Dr. Nichols was very thorough and very understanding of our situation and very knowledgeable about where we needed to go from hereHe took the time and effort to go over all of our options and explain the pros and cons of each option and why we could do one procedure versus the other... Dr. Nichols took a lot of time to go over how we needed to be tested and what the test results meant and what our options were as far as IVF
Make sure you get him
We are currently going through our first cycle with Dr. Nichols
The nursing staff took my blood and was very very nice. She was very friendly and communicated with me about everything she was doing
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I really like this clinic and everybody was friendly from the billing people to the nurses to the doctors and they really took the time via email and or in person or on the phone to communicate with us about our options
Right now the only thing I had to pay for was my ultrasound which was $280
Greenville
[Dr. Nichols was] Concise in his explanations and answering my questions. Was realistic and provided options where I had the best chance for a successful outcome...Strengths: extremely knowledgeable and realistic; wants his treatments with patients to be successful...describes each procedure and upcoming steps. Confident re: clinical decision making. Weaknesses: none evident
Strengths: extremely knowledgeable and realistic; wants his treatments with patients to be successful. Concise and describes each procedure and upcoming steps. Confident re: clinical decision making. Weaknesses: none evident
Ask any and all questions you have. Do not hold back.
Letrozole with follow up ovidrell injection combined with timed intercourse. Moving up to IVF next due to my diagnosis, but have not started treatment for this.
Supportive, empathetic, and readily available to assist and answer questions. Calm fears and offer encouragement when you at at a low.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: Appears to run smoothly and organized; clean; staff is efficient in carrying out and performing tests and procedures. Weaknesses: they messed up on billing my insurance which is an added stress that I don’t want/need at this time.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
He [Dr. Nichols] set my expectations and didn't sugar coat anything... He really reassured me and didn't give me false hope. That's what I always look for when dealing with a doctor. He was patient and kind and made me feel comfortable. I have stage 4 endometriosis and have been dealing with this disease for almost 20 years.... That he is really caring and didn't make you feel like just another patient. He made me feel at home and important
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
He set my expectations and didn't sugar coat anything
We are waiting on test results to come back to plan the next course of action
They all were amazing
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Everything was great. Very clean environment. Everyone was approachable and very attentive. They made me feel relaxed and honestly like I was family. Not at anytime did the make me feel out of place. Prior to my visit I was skeptical and nervous and felt like they were all about money but I didn't get that vibe when I walked through the doors.
Didn't make it that far yet
We didn't get that far with things
Columbia
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Nichols explained everything in a clear and straight forward manner. He was realistic about the outcomes and did not give us false hope. Our IVF course went well and we understood each step along the way.... We did a fresh cycle IVF with progesterone in oil shots, but when i started To have a reaction we switched to crinone. Switched the trigger injection when it looked like I was going to overstimulate and that worked well. I transferred 5 day embryos (2) and 1 took.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
He may not come across as "warm and fuzzy" but he is a great doctor!
They know me and my husband by name and when I would call I would get a person and not a recording to leave a message.
Every nurse we had was compassionate and really loved their job.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are great about answering questions via email or phone call even after hours.
I believe IVF was around 10-12k
Our quality of embryos wasn't excellent so transferring 2 was ok with him. He usually suggests transferring 1 if they are great quality.
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
He [Dr. John Nichols] is a very upfront doctor. He doesn't sugarcoat anything so you don't get your hopes up but he does give you all the oporions available. He will give you the percentage of whatever procedure you decide to have. Bring IVF, IUI, or donor egg.
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
He is a very upfront doctor. He doesn't sugarcoat anything so you don't get your hopes up but he does give you all the oporions available. He will give you the percentage of whatever procedure you decide to have. Bring IVF, IUI, or donor egg.
Be open minded
Staff and the Doctors are very concerned with your best interest
We are awaiting on egg retrivial now
Most of the nurses are very compassionate and show it in every visit
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The strengths are in the nurses. The weakness is in the front. These ladies could show a little more compassion instead of just checking you out
We are self pay. My insurance through Bluecross Blueshield does not cover any of this do my husband is taking a "Hardship" towards his 401k
Yes he didn't want to transfer 2 at onetime. Only recommends one at a time.