Medical SchoolCase Western
FellowshipU. of Pennsylvania
2 BATTERSON PARK ROAD
Farmington, CT 06032
(844 467 3483)
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend John Nulsen to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 100%9.6

7.2

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical) to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality
He [Dr. Nulsen] always takes the time to personally call me with news/updates (and is pretty good at delivering dismal news). I really appreciate how much he cares about me as a patient. I don't feel like any question is "stupid" or that I'm ever being rushed...is so intelligent and so well-trained. I trust him fully and even after a really poor response to my first round of IVF, I trust his adjustment wholeheartedly. I really don't have any weaknesses to share, aside from the fact that I pray our second round of IVF will lead to more embryos and hopefully one will be PGS normal!
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with John Nulsen at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
As I stated earlier, Dr. Nulsen is so intelligent and so well-trained. I trust him fully and even after a really poor response to my first round of IVF, I trust his adjustment wholeheartedly. I really don't have any weaknesses to share, aside from the fact that I pray our second round of IVF will lead to more embryos and hopefully one will be PGS normal!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Nulsen at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
I highly recommend that you come prepared with a list of questions. Time with Dr. Nulsen is sacred, so please make the most of it!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Nulsen at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
Even though Dr. Nulsen is incredibly scientific in his presentation and philosophy (always relies on textbooks and peer-reviewed studies/literature, which I certainly appreciate!), he always treats me like a human; I am also good at reminding him that I am a human and not a number ;). He always takes the time to personally call me with news/updates (and is pretty good at delivering dismal news). I really appreciate how much he cares about me as a patient. I don't feel like any question is "stupid" or that I'm ever being rushed.
Describe the protocols John Nulsen used in your cycles at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical) and their degree of success.
I started with an agonist protocol (Gonal F 375 IU for 10 days; Ganirelix for 7 days and I was triggered with just Lupron). This produced 8 eggs (expected for my age, I guess), but only one fertilized and then made it to blast. This embryo was PGS abnormal, and I was told I have "very poor egg quality." I'm not sure I fully believe this, as I have a healthy, perfect 3.5 year old. I'm currently on the MDL flare protocol (starting BCPs tonight for 18 days) and then I'll be on Gonal F pen (300 IU PM), microdose leuprolide (10 IU 2x/day), Menopur (150 IU PM), and HCG.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Vicki Hauptmann)
Aside from being a little "all over the place," Vicki truly cares so much about her patients. She is very smart, and can take a mile a minute, but is okay when you ask her to pause or slow down. I know she's rooting SO hard for me, which I truly appreciate. All of the other nurses I've encountered are amazing, too.
Describe your experience with Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
CARS is amazing. I walked in as a terrified new patient (who wants to be on this journey?!) and now feel like a seasoned pro. I love all of the staff members (lab people, front desk people, MAs, nurses, and my doctor. I recommend coming prepared with all necessary documents and questions when you come for your appointments). I also love the Resolve support group that is hosted there once a month. Their community outreach (thank you, Ami!) is amazing!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
It was a well-efficient, well-oiled machine. As long as you get there before 7:30, you are seen within 30 minutes or so. The MAs are great and you're often seen by an MD for ultrasounds.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Nulsen at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
I wish I knew more, but since insurance covered 100% I don't know. I think with meds included my first round of IVF was around $30,000.
Describe John Nulsen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
If we get there, especially since we are doing PGS, he highly recommends I only transfer one embryo.
What specific things went wrong at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
Farmington

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Nulsen at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).

We see Dr. Nulsen usually every couple appointments. He has been very caring. At first, I believe he just thought we were going to be a quick case so did not pay much attention to us. After we got pregnant and miscarried, his attention towards us quickly changed. Since then, he has been very attentive and caring.... We have used letrozole and the trigger shot. We started off using 5 mg of letrozole but that did not produce any follicles.
Dr. Nulsen is very caring but still remember to be your own advocate. The month we did get pregnant, was a result of a request that I had made regarding my care.
He learned who we are; would have conversations with my husband about boating; when we miscarried, he rubbed my leg and my arm and apologized.
We have used letrozole and the trigger shot. We started off using 5 mg of letrozole but that did not produce any follicles. We switched to 7.5 which is the highest dose they will give and consistently got 1-2 follicles. We used the trigger shot at my request because we were ovulating late and my ovaries would ache. This also helped time the IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Deb Jaksina)
The nursing staff always calls when they say they will and always follows up. If they do not know the answer, they usually touch base with Dr. Nulsen and call me right back.
Strengths for this clinic include organization and nursing team. Organization in terms processes and procedures. They have also been willing to work with me on price and insurance issues. Weaknesses are probably similar to other clinics in which there are too many patients which can sometimes make for long wait times.
We did IUI which was approximately $699 per cycle. This included all ultrasounds and blood monitoring. We paid an additional $125 for the trigger shot. We also had a D&C procedure which my insurance covered.
Farmington

He [Dr. John Nulsen] was so knowledgeable and caring and compassionate. He was so patient with us as we always went to appointments with a full list of questions. He explained everything well. We went through a lot with him: 2 surgeries to remove my Fallopian tubes, one of which was emergency. He was so caring and comforting, I knew I was in great hands and it was actually sad to leave him after getting pregnant.
He was so knowledgeable and caring and compassionate. He was so patient with us as we always went to appointments with a full list of questions. He explained everything well. We went through a lot with him: 2 surgeries to remove my Fallopian tubes, one of which was emergency. He was so caring and comforting, I knew I was in great hands and it was actually sad to leave him after getting pregnant.
Don't be afraid to bring a list of questions to appointments
He was so incredibly caring and empathetic throughout my treatments, and he performed the surgical removal of both my Fallopian tubes and treated me for an ectopic pregnancy, he made me feel calm and cared so much.
Original diagnosis after ectopic and identifying tube blockage was trying to conceive naturally for 4-6 months before removing blocked tube. After removing blocked tube, recommended action up to us but felt natural conception was possible and repeat ectopic was low. Unfortunately repeat ectopic occurred and caused emergency Fallopian tube removal. After that IVF was only option. He recommended freeze all with PGS to maximize success, as well as Lupron trigger due to higher risk of OHSS.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Vicki Hauptmann )
Vicki was very responsive and friendly. She seemed a little all over the place at times but was very nice to work with.
Strengths of CARS are it's success and experience and reputable doctors. Some weaknesses are that some people I know felt like things skipped through the cracks at times so you have to be your own advocate. It's also pretty busy so wait times during IVF cycling could be long but after hours and return phone care was always very responsive.
Wait times were pretty long at times but I was always able to be seen by my primary doctor even on weekends if he was on call. All doctors and staff were excellent so t didn't matter who I saw.
I spent about $15k out of pocket On top of maxing out my $20k lifetime infertility insurance benefits to have HSG, sonohysterogram, surgical removal of left Fallopian tube at same time as hystetoscopy, along with second emergency surgery to remove right Fallopian tube after ectopic, followed by IVF with PGS and successful FET.
I was very happy with his approach to single FET

2013 - 2016
Dr. Nulsen felt we would have success with the antagonist protocol, and started the next cycle. I was young with regular periods so he didn’t feel we needed the longer protocol...He was surprised that I did not produce more mature eggs during the retrieval, but my AMH levels were on the lower side...He knew all our medical history before even walking into his office. Dr. Nulsen first asked us what our expectations were, and what routes we wanted to take. He was knowledgeable and very kind as we discussed different plans. I had done a lot of research beforehand, and he was patient (and willing) to answer any of my questions.
2013 - 2016
Dr. Nulsen was always warm and devoted to our best interests. He gave his best advice as a medical professional, and we completely trusted he opinions. Never once did we feel rushed. He took the time to answer all questions/concerns until I was completely at ease with our next steps for treatment.
Trust his expertise. He loves his work and he knows how to do it well.
After two failed IUIs with 50 mg of Clomid, we decided to go right to IVF. Dr. Nulsen felt we would have success with the antagonist protocol, and started the next cycle. I was young with regular periods so he didn’t feel we needed the longer protocol. Follistim, Ganirelix, and Pregnyl were used for medications. Followed by PIO injections after the retrieval. The Follistim injections were the easiest to handle myself, but the Ganirelix seemed to burn a bit. The PIO injections were painful towards the end with so many different bruises that popped up after 13 weeks. He was surprised that I did not produce more mature eggs during the retrieval, but my AMH levels were on the lower side.
Deb and the other nurses were amazing. They always made sure I was okay (physically and emotionally) and I never felt like an after thought. Each call I made they responded right away, and made sure I was at ease as the protocol progressed.
The clinic itself moved to a new and beautiful office at the tail end of our journey. The staff is always helpful and patient with anything I needed. You will wait sometimes to see the doctor, or to get blood drawn... But it is only because the staff really does take their time with each and every patient.
Monitoring was done first thing in the morning. You had your blood drawn, and then you proceeded to the other area for monitoring. It was on a first come basis. Some days you waited a while, and others you did not. I felt it was efficient as it could be given the time sensitive nature of the protocols.
Our deductible was pretty high, and that was due before we started IVF protocol. They were able to chunk it into smaller installments throughout the length of our treatment. The billing office was incredibly helpful in all areas. Especially when dealing with insurance. Our representative was incredibly knowledgeable, and gave us the best advice. We paid out of pocket for our deductible and all medication. We were reimbursed for some of the medication through insurance months later. At the time acupuncture was not offered at the clinic, and we paid separately for that off site.
UConn has a firm approach on how many embryos to transfer based on age and diagnosis. I was younger so it was advised for only a single embryo transfer. I completely agreed. His goal, and mine, was only to create a singleton pregnancy.

2007 - 2012
IUI, 4 IVF
Dr. Nulsen always made us feel that we mattered and he was here to help us achieve our goal. Made sure we understood what was expected. We didnt feel like a number of statistic. He knew us by name and that made us feel like he thought of us beyond being a patient.... He suggested only 2 embryo transfer each time. And ICSI was the choice of treatment.... He cares and will make you feel like a person and not a statistic.
2007 - 2012
IUI, 4 IVF
He cares and will make you feel like a person and not a statistic.
I felt like I was treated like a human. The staff was wonderful. Some of the best professionals I've come across during my 20 plus years of trying to conceive. My only heart break was not concerning.
I dont remember this information.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Jane Tyler)
Amazing! Exceptional! Loving! Caring! God send!
They will treat you with so much compassion during this difficult process. From the doctor to the phlebotomist and receptionist all were amazing. Highly recommend staff. Some may have moved on but I'm sure the quality of care is still intact.
It was very expensive. It was very difficult for us to continue our of pocket once the age of 40. My insurance in my state would not cover. I have 2 embryos still in storage in hope to use. I now have insurance that will cover the process even after 40 years old. But will not cover new cycle.

2 IUI, IVF
Dr. Nulsen is a kind and compassionate doctor. He would always return my phonecalls when I requested for one. I felt that he always had my best interest and I felt that he really wanted me to succeed. He was comforting even when delivering bad news and he encouraged me to continue on.... [Protocols] High dosage of menopur and gonal-f since I was a poor responder.... Compassionate team of drs and nurses.
2 IUI, IVF
Be open with all your questions and concerns
High dosage of menopur and gonal-f since I was a poor responder.
Compassionate team of drs and nurses. The financial department is also good. Main weakness is communication. There are also times where I feel like I have to advocate for myself when talking to the nursing team.