Medical SchoolCase Western
FellowshipU. of Pennsylvania
2 BATTERSON PARK ROAD
Farmington, CT 06032
(844 467 3483)
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend John Nulsen to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 100%9.6
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical) to a friend?
He [Dr. John Nulsen] was so knowledgeable and caring and compassionate. He was so patient with us as we always went to appointments with a full list of questions. He explained everything well. We went through a lot with him: 2 surgeries to remove my Fallopian tubes, one of which was emergency. He was so caring and comforting, I knew I was in great hands and it was actually sad to leave him after getting pregnant.
How was your experience with John Nulsen at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
He was so knowledgeable and caring and compassionate. He was so patient with us as we always went to appointments with a full list of questions. He explained everything well. We went through a lot with him: 2 surgeries to remove my Fallopian tubes, one of which was emergency. He was so caring and comforting, I knew I was in great hands and it was actually sad to leave him after getting pregnant.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Nulsen at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
Don't be afraid to bring a list of questions to appointments
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Nulsen at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
He was so incredibly caring and empathetic throughout my treatments, and he performed the surgical removal of both my Fallopian tubes and treated me for an ectopic pregnancy, he made me feel calm and cared so much.
Describe the protocols John Nulsen used in your cycles at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical) and their degree of success.
Original diagnosis after ectopic and identifying tube blockage was trying to conceive naturally for 4-6 months before removing blocked tube. After removing blocked tube, recommended action up to us but felt natural conception was possible and repeat ectopic was low. Unfortunately repeat ectopic occurred and caused emergency Fallopian tube removal. After that IVF was only option. He recommended freeze all with PGS to maximize success, as well as Lupron trigger due to higher risk of OHSS.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Vicki Hauptmann )
Vicki was very responsive and friendly. She seemed a little all over the place at times but was very nice to work with.
Describe your experience with Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
Strengths of CARS are it's success and experience and reputable doctors. Some weaknesses are that some people I know felt like things skipped through the cracks at times so you have to be your own advocate. It's also pretty busy so wait times during IVF cycling could be long but after hours and return phone care was always very responsive.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
Wait times were pretty long at times but I was always able to be seen by my primary doctor even on weekends if he was on call. All doctors and staff were excellent so t didn't matter who I saw.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Nulsen at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
I spent about $15k out of pocket On top of maxing out my $20k lifetime infertility insurance benefits to have HSG, sonohysterogram, surgical removal of left Fallopian tube at same time as hystetoscopy, along with second emergency surgery to remove right Fallopian tube after ectopic, followed by IVF with PGS and successful FET.
Describe John Nulsen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
I was very happy with his approach to single FET
What specific things went wrong at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
2013 - 2016
Dr. Nulsen felt we would have success with the antagonist protocol, and started the next cycle. I was young with regular periods so he didn’t feel we needed the longer protocol...He was surprised that I did not produce more mature eggs during the retrieval, but my AMH levels were on the lower side...He knew all our medical history before even walking into his office. Dr. Nulsen first asked us what our expectations were, and what routes we wanted to take. He was knowledgeable and very kind as we discussed different plans. I had done a lot of research beforehand, and he was patient (and willing) to answer any of my questions.
2013 - 2016
Dr. Nulsen was always warm and devoted to our best interests. He gave his best advice as a medical professional, and we completely trusted he opinions. Never once did we feel rushed. He took the time to answer all questions/concerns until I was completely at ease with our next steps for treatment.
Trust his expertise. He loves his work and he knows how to do it well.
After two failed IUIs with 50 mg of Clomid, we decided to go right to IVF. Dr. Nulsen felt we would have success with the antagonist protocol, and started the next cycle. I was young with regular periods so he didn’t feel we needed the longer protocol. Follistim, Ganirelix, and Pregnyl were used for medications. Followed by PIO injections after the retrieval. The Follistim injections were the easiest to handle myself, but the Ganirelix seemed to burn a bit. The PIO injections were painful towards the end with so many different bruises that popped up after 13 weeks. He was surprised that I did not produce more mature eggs during the retrieval, but my AMH levels were on the lower side.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Deb Jaksina)
Deb and the other nurses were amazing. They always made sure I was okay (physically and emotionally) and I never felt like an after thought. Each call I made they responded right away, and made sure I was at ease as the protocol progressed.
The clinic itself moved to a new and beautiful office at the tail end of our journey. The staff is always helpful and patient with anything I needed. You will wait sometimes to see the doctor, or to get blood drawn... But it is only because the staff really does take their time with each and every patient.
Monitoring was done first thing in the morning. You had your blood drawn, and then you proceeded to the other area for monitoring. It was on a first come basis. Some days you waited a while, and others you did not. I felt it was efficient as it could be given the time sensitive nature of the protocols.
Our deductible was pretty high, and that was due before we started IVF protocol. They were able to chunk it into smaller installments throughout the length of our treatment. The billing office was incredibly helpful in all areas. Especially when dealing with insurance. Our representative was incredibly knowledgeable, and gave us the best advice. We paid out of pocket for our deductible and all medication. We were reimbursed for some of the medication through insurance months later. At the time acupuncture was not offered at the clinic, and we paid separately for that off site.
UConn has a firm approach on how many embryos to transfer based on age and diagnosis. I was younger so it was advised for only a single embryo transfer. I completely agreed. His goal, and mine, was only to create a singleton pregnancy.
2 IUI, IVF
Dr. Nulsen is a kind and compassionate doctor. He would always return my phonecalls when I requested for one. I felt that he always had my best interest and I felt that he really wanted me to succeed. He was comforting even when delivering bad news and he encouraged me to continue on.... [Protocols] High dosage of menopur and gonal-f since I was a poor responder.... Compassionate team of drs and nurses.
2 IUI, IVF
Be open with all your questions and concerns
High dosage of menopur and gonal-f since I was a poor responder.
Compassionate team of drs and nurses. The financial department is also good. Main weakness is communication. There are also times where I feel like I have to advocate for myself when talking to the nursing team.