Medical SchoolFurman
(864)-232-7734
1330 Boiling Springs Rd.
Spartanburg, SC 29303
(864)-583-2669
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend John Payne to a friend?

6.4

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group to a friend?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Payne is clearly very knowledgeable and takes as much time as needed to answer questions to ensure you have an u understanding or next steps in the treatment plan. He shows a great deal of empathy to his patients and helps calm nerves and fears with his demeanor.... For IVF cycle 1 we were considered unexplained infertility and began IVF with a period of ovarian suppression followed by hcg and gonal-f injections. The gonal- f injections were I creased to 450 units a day almost immediately. Egg retrieval resulted in 7 eggs but 4 were mature. Of the 4 mature, all fertilized but only 1 developed into a day 5 embryo.
The doctors [at PREG] are wonderful! The practices seem to be up to par with others I have researched. The finance department has been helpful. My only complaint has been the front desk and IVF coordinators. They just seem to treat patients like a number and lack some of the compassion I would expect to see in a clinic who is working with people at a time in life that is very difficult and emotional.... The nurses I worked with during the IUI process were all wonderful! Once moving to IVF and working with the IVF coordinator it was different.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Ask all your questions becasue he will answer and not make you feel rushed.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Payne himself has a wonderful bedside manner and is calm and always reassuring during what has been a stressful and highly emotional period of time. However, the IVF coordinator and front desk associates do not display the same attitude towards patients in my opinion. I was just "work" to them and did not feel they shared the same empathy that Dr. Payne displays.
Describe the protocols John Payne used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
For IVF cycle 1 we were considered unexplained infertility and began IVF with a period of ovarian suppression followed by hcg and gonal-f injections. The gonal- f injections were I creased to 450 units a day almost immediately. Egg retrieval resulted in 7 eggs but 4 were mature. Of the 4 mature, all fertilized but only 1 developed into a day 5 embryo. PGS tested revealed it was an abnormal embryo so no transfer was completed. At the follow up, he prescribed 2 months of diminished ovarian reserve supplements a d said IVF cycle 2 would not include ovarian suppression and a lupron shot would be added to my protocol. Currently waiting to start IVF cycle 2.
The nurses I worked with during the IUI process were all wonderful! Once moving to IVF and working with the IVF coordinator it was different. The IVF coordinator seemed rushed and lacked compassion in my opinion. Questions seemed to be an inconvenience.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The doctors are wonderful! The practices seem to be up to par with others I have researched. The finance department has been helpful. My only complaint has been the front desk and IVF coordinators. They just seem to treat patients like a number and lack some of the compassion I would expect to see in a clinic who is working with people at a time in life that is very difficult and emotional.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I had some insurance coverage but still had to pay out of pocket approximately $15,000 for my first round of IVF which failed. I was not given any type or refund si ce I had insurance and will pay the same for our upcoming round of IVF.
Describe John Payne's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Generally, the practice is single embryo transfer. The policy makes sense to me and I have had no reason to question it.

IUI, 1 IVF
Aggressive microdose flare protocol [with Dr. John Payne] - same protocol that was used during our successful cycle in 2017...good about taking into account individual cases and needs...went out of his way to make sure he was the doctor who did our transfer, although his schedule was busy that day and he could have let another doctor at the practice perform it. He also took a lot of time to meet with us prior to starting the cycle to make sure we understood all our options and that he answered all of our questions.
The clinic [PREG] does prefer eSET but in our case they recommended transferring two embryos. They are good about taking into account individual cases and needs...As a returning patient, I felt much more comfortable and knew what to expect. I also felt like wait times were significantly reduced, although that could be because my appointment times were different this time. I do think PREG has a ton of patients, so as a new patient, that could be overwhelming.
IUI, 1 IVF
Dr. Payne is a great doctor and I would recommend him. He takes time with each patient to make sure that all questions are answered and that each patient understands the treatment plan. If he has any fault, it's that he sometimes is behind schedule because he takes too much time with patients.
Have all your questions ready, and take notes - he does talk fast, but he gives thorough information and is not afraid to address questions.
Dr. Payne went out of his way to make sure he was the doctor who did our transfer, although his schedule was busy that day and he could have let another doctor at the practice perform it. He also took a lot of time to meet with us prior to starting the cycle to make sure we understood all our options and that he answered all of our questions.
Aggressive microdose flare protocol - same protocol that was used during our successful cycle in 2017.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay)
Lindsay is the IVF coordinator at PREG and she is wonderful. No complaints. I did have one nurse that I felt uncomfortable with on our egg retrieval day, but I don't remember her name. I felt that she did not have a good bedside manner and wasn't willing to address our questions when presented with some disappointing and potentially confusing information. I felt like she talked down to me. I haven't experienced this from other staff members at PREG.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
$15,000 flat fee that included most items, but did not include initial baseline appointment.
The clinic does prefer eSET but in our case they recommended transferring two embryos. They are good about taking into account individual cases and needs.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Make sure he's paying attention to your history...I don’t feel Dr Payne has been prepared when speaking with my wife and I. The meetings seem rushed and he doesn’t always seem to know our history (like he didn’t read the chart before talking to us). We mostly work with his nurse, but when we talk to Dr Payne it feels like we can be just a number...His speech is so fast like he’s reciting the same thing (which I get he is), but it’s the first time we are hearing it so he needs to slow down. He also needs to review charts before calling. There have been a couple times he’s called and we’ve had to pay for a phone consult and he didn’t have my wife’s medications correctly. They were correct in the chart, but he was saying from assumptions and not checking before he spoke. This is too time consuming and expensive for all that.
Kristina, Megan and Jackie [nurses at PREG] are all amazing. I’ve only stayed as long with Dr Payne because of them...Too long to change meds when My wife had a drug intolerance... $500 IUI...$190 for intrauterine scan...$105 progesterone bloodwork...$600 HSG...The clinic itself is good. Front desk staff has been fine. Sometimes they don’t answer the phones until thirty min after they’ve opened. That’s the only drawback I’ve noticed. And you have to pay attention to what office picks up the phone because if the one you originally called doesn’t answer, then you can be routed to another.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
The meetings with Dr Payne were lack luster. This is such an important time in our lives and he always seemed like he was rushing us. His speech is so fast like he’s reciting the same thing (which I get he is), but it’s the first time we are hearing it so he needs to slow down. He also needs to review charts before calling. There have been a couple times he’s called and we’ve had to pay for a phone consult and he didn’t have my wife’s medications correctly. They were correct in the chart, but he was saying from assumptions and not checking before he spoke. This is too time consuming and expensive for all that.
Make sure he’s paying attention to your history.
Femara, gonal f, prednisone, ultrasounds, hsg, baseline scans, progesterone bloodwork, semen analysis
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Kristina )
Kristina, Megan and Jackie are all amazing. I’ve only stayed as long with Dr Payne because of them.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We have no insurance coverage for infertility. $500 IUI $190 for intrauterine scan $105 progesterone bloodwork $600 HSG

Tubal Blockage, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
I only had one issue [at PREG] and that was with billing. Overall the clinic is great. I can always call and receive help and answers. I can always get a fast appointment when needed. They call and check in with their patients. They are a very special group of people.... The costs are high and continues to increase. You do receive discounts which helps out a lot....The doctor gave me the option on how many embryo's to transfer within reason of course.
Tubal Blockage, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
My experience with Dr Payne was awesome. He was great. He never gave up on me wanting to have a baby. When the IVF's failed he was there with a positive attitude and great advice. It was an emotional time for me but listening to him and understanding that he was going help me have a baby. He would apologize when the IVF's failed but he said we will not give up. He would tell me what he thought happened but will always say that is in his opinion. That was great to hear because as a woman you think you failed somehow. He was so great he makes you want to have dozen of children.
He will be there until the end. Have hope because he does.
I felt like human because the office cared about helping me have a baby. Some doctors do not understand what their patients go through but Dr Payne did even though he is male. He was very passionate about helping me have a baby. He would listen and give good medical advice. His staff was great. They was always available when I needed them. They keep the lines of communication open. You kind of feel like family with them.
I used a lot of medicine. Medicine by mouth, injections, patches and vaginal inserts. I will use medicine daily until I got pregnant. Once I got a positive pregnant test I would use the medicine until I was 12 weeks because I was considered high risk.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Biggerstaff, RN)
Stephanie B., is one word AWESOME. She was the best. She is a very special person.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic will receive 95% from me. I only had one issue and that was with billing. Overall the clinic is great. I can always call and receive help and answers. I can always get a fast appointment when needed. They call and check in with their patients. They are a very special group of people.

2017 - 2019
We are getting ready to start our first round of ivf with icsi. We have male factor infertility results from cancer treatment. ... We first met dr. Payne over a year ago and absolutely felt like ‘just a number’ in his practice. He seemed overly sure of himself and that he wasn’t interested in our particular situation. ... we decided to give it another shot and have had an entirely different experience with him. He seems more caring and has slowed down to explain everything I have a question about. Overall his demeanor and knowledge makes us feel confident that we are making the right decision in working with him.
On our first visit [at PREG] we were discouraged by a very long wait time with no explanation from the team (45 minutes past our appointment time). We have experienced 15-20 minute waits regularly for other appointments, which is challenging when I am leaving work to come there. ... The nurse that performed my ultrasound was very kind and made me feel entirely comfortable. She described everything she would be doing and really put me at ease.
2017 - 2019
We first met dr. Payne over a year ago and absolutely felt like ‘just a number’ in his practice. He seemed overly sure of himself and that he wasn’t interested in our particular situation. PREG being the only close by clinic we decided to give it another shot and have had an entirely different experience with him. He seems more caring and has slowed down to explain everything I have a question about. Overall his demeanor and knowledge makes us feel confident that we are making the right decision in working with him.
Don’t expect him to be warm and cuddly, but he seems to know what he is talking about.
Dr. Payne is kind and takes time to answer questions about the ivf process. Unfortunately I have had problems receiving calls back from his office when I have questions about finances or the procedure.
We are getting ready to start our first round of ivf with icsi. We have male factor infertility results from cancer treatment. So far I have undergone testing to determine eligibility for Univfy, and been started on birth control to prepare for stims.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
On our first visit we were discouraged by a very long wait time with no explanation from the team (45 minutes past our appointment time). We have experienced 15-20 minute waits regularly for other appointments, which is challenging when I am leaving work to come there. There has also been a lot of problems getting a person on the phone when I call, or getting a call back. We have had a good experience with the financial team, but again have had challenges with call backs after leaving messages.
18,500 for one round of ivf including unlimited embryo transfers from that round and their fee for embryo biopsy.
Our doctor has told us we will start with single embryo transfer.

PCOS, Unexplained
The clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] is very clean, organized and friendly. I never have any issues with information from questions I have when I go in. No matter the question you have, they have an answer. They are fast pace and work well to get you in and out.... She [nurse] is amazing! She is the IVF coordinator and has been helping me along the way from day one! She always keeps faith for me and is excited to see my baby one day!
PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Payne is a very forward doctor. I respect that about him because I would rather know up front what is the issue and solution to the problem at hand. The first consultation I had with him he was very nice and reassuring about everything I would’ve gone through and will go through. He was very open about the possibilities of every side effect, or possible pregnancy complications that could happen. Not that they would but it was better for him to explain it than to never explain it at all. I told him that I wanted to go full blast with meds and we did just that. At that time my father was dying of Lung Cancer and I was desperate to have a child so that he could get to meet him. Unfortunately, during my time trying to conceive my father passed away. It took such a major toll on me. I was actually planning to do IVF that next cycle but pushed it back. Later my sister in law passed away from Stomach Cancer and I have just been devastated. So much going on and with everyone in my ear telling me something good is going to come out of it, then have the one thing I want more than anything continually not happen is the worst feeling. I have cried with Dr. Payne and his nurses just because I felt that close with them. He is a listener, care giving doctor , and understanding doctor. When other people have told me to get another doctor, I tell them no! My doctor knows what he’s doing!! He has kept by my side throughout this journey and is more than excited to get me pregnant! To have him not give up on me makes me not give up on myself and that’s what truly matters the most. That is what makes him my favorite doctor. To know that I have a reliable doctor that I can depend on is the greatest feeling. After all, he will be part of the reason I one day, hopefully soon, have my miracle of joy.
Trust him, he knows what he’s doing.
Dr. Payne and his staff are considerably down to earth. He and his team do a wonderful job at connecting with me. Even though I know they see a lot of patients, I am made to feel like the only patient in their eyes. I feel like he cares along with his staff. I’m this moment in life times can feel a bit lonely but the staff and Dr. Payne reassure me that I’m not on this journey alone.
Dr. Payne suggestions were Femora with progesterone and if that didn’t work “naturally”, we would do that with IUI. If that didn’t work, IVF. He allowed me to try that to help out in financial cost but to see if it could jut happen! Doing the biggest procedure was a last result. I didn’t get pregnant with anything but I am hoping to achieve pregnancy with the help of this loan via IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Biggerstaff)
She is amazing! She is the IVF coordinator and has been helping me along the way from day one! She always keeps faith for me and is excited to see my baby one day!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is very clean, organized and friendly. I never have any issues with information from questions I have when I go in. No matter the question you have, they have an answer. They are fast pace and work well to get you in and out. Wonderful!!
I appreciate the fact that he wants to consistently protect his patients and keep their best interest in mind. I accept the fact that he prefers eSET.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
The physicians and clinical staff [Piedmont Repro] are amazing. I have however interacted with brighter, more sincere front office administrative staff in my past for scheduling needs and check-ins. And while their financial/insurance department is full of super sweet and friendly folks there, I have found that it is very easy for their efforts in preauthorization and financial quotes to get quickly out of sink with the plan of the cycle treatment and throw a speed bump in to the process.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
He is just a thoughtful and thorough care giver. He is a very highly trained and informed expert in his field, and he covers all of the basis when helping me think out the options I have for my course of treatment and long term goals. He is so friendly and certainly considerate of the sensitivity of my current disease process if stage four endometriosis and of my immense desire to bring another beautiful baby into God’s world. I am so very thankful for his help.
To stay on top of the financial and insurance department that is in charge of preauthorizations in his office, if that is the financial situation that the prospective patient is coming from. Time sensitivity could definitely be improved with those administrative staff members.
Dr. Payne has spent an extent of time speaking with me about every single one of my questions and going over the full spectrum of details on the plans ahead for the big picture goals of preserving my eggs to avoid having them further compromised by my stage four endometriosis as well as by the treatments I need for that disease. He has taken all of my specific needs and desires in to account with each recommendation and decision making for this process. He is very friendly and he does not rush me at all throughout these inquisitive conversations I hold with him. I am so very thankful that I and my future children are in his hands!
We are still in the early stages of progress. We began with the base line scans for ultrasound folical count and lab drawings. Now we have moved on the recallibrating the ovulation scheduled via birth control method. Based on the number of follicles seen, the goal is to complete two cycles if financially possible so that I have enough to possibly freeze a combination of some eggs as well as some embryos, to get be enough chances of some of both remaining viable throughout the process. Once that is completed, we plan to treat me for endometriosis until my body is ready for a healthy pregnancy. I am so eager to experience an intimate pregnancy, carrying my child in me, and the joy of nursing and nurturing my little infant. God knows my heart and desires for this, and all of Dr. Payne’s methods and plans have been circled around this.
They are so sweet, friendly, understanding, and informative!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are so great at what they do and turkey compassionate. The physicians and clinical staff are amazing. I have however interacted with brighter, more sincere front office administrative staff in my past for scheduling needs and check-ins. And while their financial/insurance department is full of super sweet and friendly folks there, I have found that it is very easy for their efforts in preauthorization and financial quotes to get quickly out of sink with the plan of the cycle treatment and throw a speed bump in to the process. Time sensitivity, as far as completing the process in June and July rather than waiting until September, for example would greatly help their patient experience overall for those who don’t walk in as a wealthy married couple prepared to pay everything on the spot. I am a single mom doing the best I can through my treatment needs for endometriosis and I am exhausting my efforts to have my eggs preserved so that I will have another baby when my body is ready. It’s a shame that something’s would have to be postponed to administrative details rather than justified clinical details. I would recommend new patients to stay on top of the info and process instead of ever letting it go the first 2 months assuming they’re getting the ball rolling on their end only to find out they’re not.
I am still in the process of receiving accurate price quote information after 3 months
Those will be items we get to towards the last stages of the process and I look forward to learning more details about the methods when we are crossing the bridge. I haven’t sought that info yet as we are still starting all of this.
+ Read more- Read less

Throughout the initial consultation, Dr. Payne barely made eye contact. He blamed that on having to type information into the computer. He spoke so fast that we could barely keep up with what he was saying. A couple of weeks later I received a bill for our initial consult visit and it was around $350 and that did not include the $250 we paid in the office that day for a semen analyis and blood work.... We only have completely one cycle of femara, ovidrel, TI. This was per John Paynes recommendation after the loss of our pregnancy in the fall. I only received information through a nurse or through the receptionist and very often if I had questions, I was sent to a voicemail.
Whenever we called with questions we were sent to a voicemail [at PREG-Greenville]. Every time. Most the time it would take a day to receive a phone call. There was a specific appointment that I was needing to cancel because we were heading out of town, when I asked the nurse what we should do, she made a statement about canceling the ultrasound and how that was not an option, even if I came in two days before. It made no sense to me when I asked further and she had very little to no answers for questions.
It was a horrible experience to say the least. We became pregnant naturally on a cycle not being treated, ended up having to terminate due to trisomy diagnosis and when we came back to the clinic there was not one mention or question about it. Back to "the plan" of fertility meds and appointment dates. I could not have felt more " investable" if I tried.
Get a second opinion or find a Doctor that truly can hear your story and help you down the right path.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths - They are one of maybe 2-3 fertility clinics in the area so they have access to so many patients and have the opportunity to make a difference in these peoples lives. Weaknesses - They run the clinic like a business and the human factor has been lost. I didn't even feel like a patient. Truly disappointing. Do not go to PREG!
I still look through our bill records from PREG and some I cannot answer what we paid for. Thats a horrible feeling.
+ Read more- Read less

[Dr.] John [Payne] was very knowledgeable and aggressive with my treatment, which was well needed. He was honest but kind, and produced the results that we were seeking! He made sure that he was involved in every step and no decisions were made without his approval. ... I have very polycystic ovaries, and it’s hard to induce ovulation. We started with inducing my period with provera as it was non-existent, and middle of the road doses of 7.5mg femara to see how I would respond. He took a gradual approach and increased the doses, but no results. We progressed to ovidrel injections and trigger shot each month. The results were still mediocre, and he came up with adding a small dose of anti-inflammatory steroid which was the magic trick, and I responded very well! I had thin lining so he added baby aspirin to maintain it.
The clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] was great, they always had availability for my iui procedures but some days there was quite a wait to be seen. This was only on busier days. I feel like they did quite well with scheduling considering the amount of patients using the location where I was. ... The nurses were great and supportive ...
John was very knowledgeable and aggressive with my treatment, which was well needed. He was honest but kind, and produced the results that we were seeking! He made sure that he was involved in every step and no decisions were made without his approval.
Trust his advice, and be patient! You may not see him often, but know that he’s still very involved in the process of helping you reach your goal!
He was very involved in my treatment and honest, trying different combos of medication. I felt that he was really working for me.
The nurses were great and supportive
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic was great, they always had availability for my iui procedures but some days there was quite a wait to be seen. This was only on busier days. I feel like they did quite well with scheduling considering the amount of patients using the location where I was.
I had great insurance so I had to meet a 3k deductible and everything was covered 90% after that. We paid about $650 per month for donor sperm
+ Read more- Read less
Dr Payne answered all of our questions and gave us a couple of different options for trying to conceive. He was very open about our diagnosis and told us that we had options instead of pushing us to do the most aggressive treatment. He gave us his time and never made us feel rushed. He talked with us for almost an hour and made sure we had all or our questions answered...was very kind, informative and compassionate from the moment we stepped into his office.
The nurses and our coordinator [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] were so nice and compassionate. They were with us every step of the process and although our transfer didn't result in a pregnancy they did call to check on us and see how we were doing after the negative pregnancy test. They all made us feel so welcome and cared for. They greeted us with a smile and kind words at every visit.
Dr Payne was very kind, informative and compassionate from the moment we stepped into his office. He answered all of our questions and gave us different options. We never once felt forced into any treatment or to take the most aggressive route. We felt that the treatment course was thoroughly explained with pros and cons. He made us feel welcome and we were treated like patients with kindness and compassion.
Call PREG today and set up your consult with Dr Payne! You won't be disappointed.
From the first moment we walked in the door we were treated with kindness and understanding. Dr Payne answered all of our questions and gave us a couple of different options for trying to conceive. He was very open about our diagnosis and told us that we had options instead of pushing us to do the most aggressive treatment. He gave us his time and never made us feel rushed. He talked with us for almost an hour and made sure we had all or our questions answered.
We did 2 cycles of IUI with femara and ovidrel to trigger. We also did 1 IVF cycle with BC pills prior and lupron and gonal f and ICSI. I have good ovarian reserve which and the reasoning for injections chosen and ICSI was chosen for our male factor diagnosis.
The nurses and our coordinator were so nice and compassionate. They were with us every step of the process and although our transfer didn't result in a pregnancy they did call to check on us and see how we were doing after the negative pregnancy test. They all made us feel so welcome and cared for. They greeted us with a smile and kind words at every visit.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
This clinic is amazing. The staff is so kind and welcoming. We walked into our appointment feeling like we had known this people our whole life. They greeted us with smiles and answered all or ourquestions. All of them always showed compassion and were right there with us along the journey. They got excited with us at appointments and showed so much compassion and understanding in the hard times. I can't say enough good things about this clinic. I feel like a patient and have always been treated so well.
IUI was $450-$500 Visits covered by insurance IVF was $7,000 w/o meds Monitoring ultrasounds covered by insurance
I have a history of multiples and complications with that pregnancy so Dr Payne's choice for a single transfer was discussed and agreed upon.
+ Read more- Read less

I only saw him [Dr. John Payne] one time and had several treatments. I saw a nurse practitioner most of the time.... IUI one time, then they stated that hindsight is 20/20 that they probably wouldn’t have had us doing IUI if they would have noticed my husband sperm count going down. We felt like the treatment and money was slightly wasted because they said they shouldn’t have been doing the treatments.
They informed me that they would use a code that would allow my insurance to take care of it, we have paid a lot out of pocket, but we have got a bill for over 1000$ when we were told our insurance would cover. I called several times got 2 people, then several times left message and did not get any response.... So when my insurance was 70/30 I thought we would be able to afford that, but the price went up for those insured and that to me in price gouging which made it impossible for us to follow through with any recommmedation it IVF because we still needed 10,000 for everything, and it was not reasonable for us to do that when the insurance was supposed to cover 70% of cost.
I only saw a nurse tenentire the me, the first time I saw the doctor it was the last time we did treatment with IUI. No one told us the cost, thy put my husband on clomid and haven’t gotten back to us at all and it has been since June and it is now end of September. We haven’t heard anything and have recently felt like the doctors and the offices have forgotten about us. We have almost given up on the process because we don’t have any feedback or direction when we sought it out.
Expect to see the nurse before you see the doctor. Keep an open mind
I only saw him one time and had several treatments. I saw a nurse practitioner most of the time
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Nurse practitioner )
Decent
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Great front desk, great rep for blood taken, comfortable, but felt recently that we have been forgotten. Strengths are friendly, knowledgable. Weakness are that the office overlooked important information regarding my husband then later shared with both of us that they probably wouldn’t have been doing IUI if they would have reviews the sperm counts each cycle more closely because he was decreasing. Without insurance it was 12,000 out of pocket, halfway through treatments we got insurance and the price changed. So when my insurance was 70/30 I thought we would be able to afford that, but the price went up for those insured and that to me in price gouging which made it impossible for us to follow through with any recommmedation it IVF because we still needed 10,000 for everything, and it was not reasonable for us to do that when the insurance was supposed to cover 70% of cost. It was deceiving slightly and I don’t want to think that because of how comfortable you guys have made me feel overall, up until that point. Then, after you placed my husband on clomid, ordered more test, you have not gotten back to us on what to do next. That was a little disturbing.
+ Read more- Read less
There were a few check ups [at PREG] that only nurse was a part of. She thought she saw an egg but come to find out a few cycles down the road it was a cyst that would go away after my cycle and grew during fertility med...The clinic did a wonderful job working with my schedule, they would get me in to the first appointment or the last when needed and any doctor would see me if I needed a time that Dr. Payne was off or with another patient. I can't say I noticed any weaknesses
Dr. Payne isnt as aggressive as I would have liked for this situation. He kind of had a laid back let's let God do his thing attitude which is cool at times but we were in a race against my endometriosis. I feel like if he had been apart of my ultrasound when we were doing trigger shots and timed intercourse maybe he would have noticed the cyst instead of it taking so many rounds before realizing what we were doing was making things worse. Also once we decided to go ahead with IVF the last ultrasound before my scheduled retrieval another doctor was doing the scan and became a little annoyed that someone started me on IVF with a polyp in my uterus again. So we ended up having to remove that along with my eggs and then freeze when we were planning a fresh embryo transfer but frozen.
Maybe just to be more aggressive about what you want if you're looking to get things done quickly and don't have time to let things happen on their own.
There were a few check ups that only nurse was a part of. She thought she saw an egg but come to find out a few cycles down the road it was a cyst that would go away after my cycle and grew during fertility med
After the removal of a couple of polyps and endometriosis dr. Payne wanted to try a trigger shot and timed intercourse since my cycles were completely normal. We did a few months of that and it wasn't working, he realized I wasn't getting one good size egg and trigger I just had a cyst growing each month and going away my period. We decided that IVF would be the best option since my body wasn't responding well to this treatment and we were trying to get pregnant before my endometriosis returned. He put me on birth control for a month so that my body could heal from the cyst and try to make sure the endometriosis didn't come back in the mean time. Once my body was ready we dived right into the IVF cycle. I went in often for an ultrasound to keep an eye on my progress. Just before my retrieval polyps were discovered and the cyst returned so we had to retrieve the eggs, remove the polyps and lance the cyst. Since and embryo is less likely to latch to a uterus covered in scar tissue he decided it would be best to freeze the eggs and go back on birth control for two months then do a 5 day frozen embryo transfer. I had 10 eggs retrieved only 2 made it, I was in the age group for just one egg but one of my eggs wasn't looking very good so he went ahead and transferred both anyways. I was on progesterone for 10 weeks. I now have a beautiful 10 month old boy.
They were all wonderful, understanding and sympathetic. Some were even patients there as well. Nurse Jacky was amazing!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I lucked out and my health does help offset the cost, but they did prepare a break down of exactly what insurance would cover and how much out of pocket I would have to spend

2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Payne met with us to discuss options for IVF. It was a difficult conversation and his caring nature made it so much easier. He explained options clearly and answered all our questions. During our treatment he was kind and could make me smile and laugh during stressful moments. After my miscarriage he was so empathetic and caring. He is a wonderful doctor who truly cares about his patients.
The clinic [Piedmont Repro] is wonderful and the staff are caring and supportive. From business office to nurses to doctors they are great...We used a donor so there was a great deal of information given to us regarding what steps the donor was undergoing for egg retrieval...Lindsey was our donor egg coordinator. She was amazing. So compassionate and a wonderful communicator with us. She never made me feel like I was driving her crazy with my zillion questions. She explained everything in detail and shared in our emotional ups and downs. She was so helpful too as we chose our donor.
2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Write down any questions you have so you can remember them in the appointments
He is very warm and caring - wonderful bedside manner. He explained everything clearly and talked to me with concern and caring.
We used a donor so there was a great deal of information given to us regarding what steps the donor was undergoing for egg retrieval. Our first try was a fresh transfer. Dr. Payne explained this was best to begin with. He explained statistics and our protocol in detail verbally and in writing. We used birth control, Lupron, estrogen and progesterone. We agreed to transfer one embryo. I was pregnant for almost 11 weeks. After my miscarriage Dr. Payne was so compassionate and encouraging that I was able to carry a baby. He did not push us to try again. When we were ready we tried again and it was a frozen transfer. Single embryo again. We did not use Lupron and progesterone was given by suppository- no injections. We now have a beautiful healthy baby boy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsey )
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The downside was that we had to drive to Greenville from N.C. for the transfer and the embryo creation. The clinic is wonderful and the staff are caring and supportive. From business office to nurses to doctors they are great. We did not have a great experience with our initial doctor but he has since retired.
Until our last transfer we did not have insurance coverage so it was all out of pocket. They gave us a discount which we appreciated and helped us find most affordable meds possible. We spent $30000 so far.
I am petite so we all agreed it was best for my health to transfer one. He did offer us information on stats of single vs multiple and we were allowed to choose
+ Read more- Read less

I was very appreciative of how compassionate and sensitive he [Dr. John Payne] was during my visit for this procedure...never made me rushed or intimidated to ask a question...was very personable and made you feel comfortable to be around. He took his time to explain various procedures and what our chances of conception would be. He was overall very caring and considerate of our feelings.
I liked how the nurses at the [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology] clinic in Spartanburg were always organized and ready to assist you. They made you feel very comfortable and were also friendly when talking with them. They helped me understand certain things that I had questions about as well...Overall, my husband and I probably spent close to $400 for our tests and procedures (which included a 2 semen analysis, blood tests, and a HCG test).
When I had my HCG procedure done, Dr.Payne was more than ready to address any concerns I had. He was very careful and gentle throughout the procedure. He explained every step he made. Afterwards, Dr.Payne helped me understand that I had no tubal blockage and carefully assured me that I could conceive. I was very appreciative of how compassionate and sensitive he was during my visit for this procedure.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions if there is something medically you don’t understand or comprehend. Dr. Payne never made me rushed or intimidated to ask a question.
Dr.Payne was very personable and made you feel comfortable to be around. He took his time to explain various procedures and what our chances of conception would be. He was overall very caring and considerate of our feelings.
I don’t recall any at this time.
I liked how the nurses at the clinic in Spartanburg were always organized and ready to assist you. They made you feel very comfortable and were also friendly when talking with them. They helped me understand certain things that I had questions about as well.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic’s strengths would be their organization, friendliness, concern, time management, thoroughness, and communication. I don’t have much to say about weaknesses. I don’t recall feeling negative about anything during my visits. I’d recommend new patients to this clinic for sure.

2014 - 2017
Dr. Payne has a very warm bedside manner. He is very compassionate and caring....Dr. John Payne is a very caring and compassionate doctor. He wasn't the first doctor that I saw at the practice; I actually switched to him because I liked him better. He has an excellent bedside manner. He always took the time to answer any questions I had. He is also extremely knowledgeable about infertility. I would highly recommend him to anyone dealing with infertility.
I can't think of anything but positive to say about PREG! All members of the staff have been very helpful and caring. They usually returned my calls or emails quickly. And have options to help with the cost, like they have an infertility seminar that you can go to once a year and get a coupon for $250 off.... They all always schedule monitoring appointments for early in the morning, so by around 8:30. I don't love having to go to the doctor that early, but it was definitely worth it! Usually when I went for an appointment there was not very many other people waiting.
2014 - 2017
I guess I would say something that I think is good advice for dealing with any doctor, that you need to be your own advocate with your health care. Speak up for yourself and don't be afraid to ask any questions.
Dr. Payne has a very warm bedside manner. He is very compassionate and caring.
I don't remember all the details of the cycles because my last full cycle was in 2014, but I do remember the medications used. I started out on birth control pills, then started injecting Lupron, then Gonal-F. And also estrogen patches and progesterone shots. And of course the hCG shot to trigger ovulation. I don't remember doses, but I always responded very well. For my frozen cycles I just did estrogen patches or pills and progesterone.
Stephanie Biggerstaff is the nurse at the Spartanburg office and the IVF coordinator. When I was doing my first IVF cycle in 2012 I only spoke with her on the phone because she was at the Greenville office at the time. When I was trying again in 2014 and 2017 she was the primary nurse at the Spartanburg office. She is truly amazing! She is so compassionate and empathetic. Takes the time to listen and give a hug when you need one. She truly goes the extra mile to make sure each patient receives the best care. I love nurse Stephanie so much that I bring my boys back to visit every so often. She made the infertility journey so much easier.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I had insurance coverage for infertility for all but the last cycle. I don't remember exactly because it's been a while but I believe we paid about $2300 for a full cycle. I think they are $10,000 without insurance coverage. I think I paid about $1700 for the frozen cycles, although we had a low out of pocket max (3000 I think) so when we were trying for our 2nd child we ended up paying nothing for a full cycle, because had already done 2 frozen cycles that year. When we were trying for # 3 in 2017 we no longer had fertility coverage and paid $3100 for a frozen cycle.
Dr. Payne was fine with us transferring two embryos. He left the decision up to us whether we wanted to transfer 1 or 2. I don't think he would have supported transferring more. I feel like he explained the risks well of transferring multiple embryos.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Payne was a wonderful doctor to work with. He was compassionate and thorough. He explained every procedure and what to expect. He understood any pain or discomfort and helped when needed. He worked with any personal insecurities.
The entire staff [at PREG] was wonderful,! One nurse I did have as little issue with. I passed out at home and then couldn't hold any fluids down after the retrieval. The nurse I spoke with didn't take care if calling in a script in a timely manner, and wasn't compassionate. I told her beforehand that I don't do well with anesthesia and wasn't taken seriously. Other than that, every nurse I came in contact with was phenomenal!! The ladies in the lab showed genuine concern and took the highest care with me, even though I'm prone to passing out from blood draws, they knew to lay me down and didn't take issue with it.
He was very personable. He related to us, rejoiced with us and gave us any hard information with understanding and Grace
The only struggle I had was from the anesthesia used for the retrieval. Everything else was fine. I don't remember all the specifics of medication used. I followed the outline as given.
The entire staff was wonderful,! One nurse I did have as little issue with. I passed out at home and then couldn't hold any fluids down after the retrieval. The nurse I spoke with didn't take care if calling in a script in a timely manner, and wasn't compassionate. I told her beforehand that I don't do well with anesthesia and wasn't taken seriously. Other than that, every nurse I came in contact with was phenomenal!! The ladies in the lab showed genuine concern and took the highest care with me, even though I'm prone to passing out from blood draws, they knew to lay me down and didn't take issue with it.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG twas a fabulous clinic to work with. They take time to talk with you prior to making a decision to use fertility treatments. They give you a cost estimate based on your insurance and then give you suggestions to help with cost reduction (applying for prescription assistance, etc). The front staff gets to know you by name so you are greeted when walking in the door. Everyone rejoices in your success with you and takes care of you when you hot road blocks.
Dr Payne was very insistent on only transferring one embryo the first time as she was the highest possiblequality for a frozen embryo. He wouldn't transfer a second embryo since this was my first cycle and he wanted to do what was the safest for me and my child.
+ Read more- Read less

I feel that Dr. Payne is very knowledgeable about my conditions and did explain the course of treatment for PCOS and anovulation. He allowed me to make my own decisions regarding how many times I could try a treatment while being realistic on the chances of it being successful. I did not care for the last time that we spoke him pushing IVF but he did explain everything and what to expect with the procedure itself. Of the times we spoke he was very kind and caring.
Stephanie [nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] was always very knowledgeable and helpful in answering any questions. She remembered little things about my personal life and made sure to make me feel comfortable at each appointment. She was also very encouraging which helped through the painful journey we were on...Strengths of the clinic include knowledge on all things infertility and treatments and personal care. The clinic is always kept very clean and appointments are easy to make. One weakness that comes to mind is the call back can sometimes take a little time. They generally return my calls by the end of the day but sometimes it can be the next day when I really need an answer.
Research treatments and their success rates. Dr. Payne does not explain success rates in as much detail as he does with IVF.
The ladies in his office always knew my name and asked me personal questions regarding events in my life. I did not see Dr. Payne a lot but when I did he was very personable and I felt wanted to help me through the difficult journey of infertility.
We started our journey with 5 medicated cycles with timed intercourse. My HSG showed bilateral clear tubes and husbands semen analysis was normal with only mild variation in shape. I did not ovulate on my own so the thought was to add follicle stimulation medication. We did one cycle of clomid with no follicles at CD 12 ultrasound and then switched to femara for five cycles. The femara produced one follicle each month which ranged from 20-25mm. A HCG trigger shot was added with each medicated cycle to induce ovulation and three days of intercourse was suggested after administration of trigger shot. We did not conceive on any of the medicated cycles with timed intercourse. Dr. Payne suggested to try a more invasive procedure since the medicated cycles with timed intercourse seemed to not be enough so we tried IUI. The IUI was with femara and the HCG trigger. I produced one 20-25 follicle each cycle and we trigged with the IUI to follow 24 hours later. My husbands semen counts were between 15-23 million each procedure. We were unsuccessful with the IUI procedures. No explanation could be given and Dr. Payne suggested that we move on to an even more invasive procedure such as IVF as the chance for success after any three consecutive treatments is 30%. So here we are.
Stephanie was always very knowledgeable and helpful in answering any questions. She remembered little things about my personal life and made sure to make me feel comfortable at each appointment. She was also very encouraging which helped through the painful journey we were on.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Follicle scans were $86 per scan. Lab draws were $45. Semen analysis was $250. IUI procedure was $250.
+ Read more- Read less

He always included me in the plan of care and gave me options to choose from for future cycles! Always answered questions fully and was very knowledgeable answering my questions! Great bedside manners! Dr Payne would sometimes seem rushed when meeting with him, however he was the only doctor at the Spartanburg office and if ever you had further questions after getting home you could always call the office and questions would be answered immediately!
Not a long wait in waiting room [Piedmont Reproductive] never no more than 20 minutes Clean, friendly, and enjoyable atmosphere Convenient locations Convenient appointment times No negative comments at all...The office would work with you with payments but would not perform procedures until paid in full which would sometimes delay cycles and treatment!..Stephanie is always so kind and always has a smile on her face! She is there to listen, answer questions, calls back to answer questions or lab results in a timely manner, and is a shoulder to cry on through all the disappointments and failures!
Do not give up no matter how long the process is or how many failures you have to go through!
Dr Payne was always caring and concerned! Never once did he lose hope and faith that one day I will get pregnant and have a healthy pregnancy! He always gave me options to choose from instead of deciding for me and he included me in my plan of care!
For the 3 IUI procedures, I was taking Femara and gonal-f along with a trigger shot! I was not ovulating or producing eggs of great quality and these medications helped that process! For my IVF egg retrieval I was on an antagonist protocol! This worked very well as 19 eggs were retrieved, 16 were mature, 12 fertilized, and 5 made it to day 5 blasts! We were able to do a fresh transfer of 1 Embryo but this cycled failed as well! My first frozen Embryo transfer I was stimulated with estrace, medrol, and progesterone! We plan on transferring only one Embryo!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Biggerstaff )
Stephanie is always so kind and always has a smile on her face! She is there to listen, answer questions, calls back to answer questions or lab results in a timely manner, and is a shoulder to cry on through all the disappointments and failures! She is truely the sweetest person ever! She is a great person to communicate with through this journey! She has touched so many lives and families in ways she will never understand! Truely amazing!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Not a long wait in waiting room never no more than 20 minutes Clean, friendly, and enjoyable atmosphere Convenient locations Convenient appointment times No negative comments at all
the costs of these procedures are extremely expensive however I don't think it's in relation to the office or physician! I feel like, in general, all infertility treatments are extremely expensive! The office would work with you with payments but would not perform procedures until paid in full which would sometimes delay cycles and treatment!
I am a person who is scared of carrying multiples such as twins or triplets because I am a labor and delivery nurse and understand and know the risks of carrying multiples! Dr Payne is very adiment on only transferring just one Embryo for this simple reason! I love that about his plan of care for patients!

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Payne genuinely cares for his patients however, like any medical professional it is their job and sometimes that is evident as they base everything on statistics and often only gives very "GRAY" answers as nothing is very black and white in relation to answers you receive... I did Femara and Clomid for several cycles that failed. I then did Clomid plus Gonal F for a couple cycles and ultimately had one failed IUI cycle. We then decided to move forward with IVF (as Dr Payne also suggested) and I was on the antagonist protocol where birth control was taken then Gonal F and low dose HCG and Cetrotide was added in. I had retrieval and transfer. However, it failed with transferring two perfect quality embryos.
The clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] overall is a very organized well ran practice. This practice does strive to meet the standards of ASRM and to provide patients with a pregnancy the quickest and cheapest route. They are willing to help with finances occasionally if able! I like this practice a lot.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Payne is a great reproductive endocrinologist. Although I have not yet achieved the ultimate goal being pregnancy, he does genuinely care for his patients and want the best for us. I do wish I saw him more in the office as I go to a satellite campus and it is primarily ran by the nurses(which are amazing), but it's more trusting to see your physician more often. He is ultimately a good MD.
He moves fast! So if you can't comprehend as fast as he is relaying information to you, ask him to repeat things. Also, don't hesitate to ask for further details about things he may share in relation to statistics.
Stephanie is amazing! Literally, she is heaven sent in the field of infertility medicine. She is very compassionate. You never feel rushed. She always answers your questions. She laughs with you and cries with you. She is such a blessing.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic overall is a very organized well ran practice. This practice does strive to meet the standards of ASRM and to provide patients with a pregnancy the quickest and cheapest route. They are willing to help with finances occasionally if able! I like this practice a lot.
The Femara and Clomid was not that expensive. However, the gonal F is very expensive around 1000 per cycle it is used for stims during TI and IUI. During IVF, the expenses end up being around 10-20K for a normal cycle. Other test like genetic testing, etc are additional cost of around 4-5K. Infertility is not cheap. It is definitely a financial burden for all families undergoing this treatment.
He strongly recommends eSET if you have good quality embryos and are less than 35. However, I went with my gut understanding the risk with potential multiples....and as mentioned previously, transferred two perfect embryos and i am <35 and it did not result in a pregnancy.

15 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Payne took us through a lot of diagnostics, but did not identify that my wife has the MTHFR gene. We did several IUI cycles with him, and we had to do an I&C with him as well. Those were all completed with proficiency, to be sure, but didn't result in a pregnancy.... Dr. Payne explained the rationale and treatment plan to us in detail when we first met with him. We started off with a not-so-great feeling once we were informed that the treatment plan would not be personalized to our needs and that we would follow a predetermined treatment plan that they use for every patient.
PREG utilizes a formulaic approach to all fertility treatment patients. There is no personalized care, rather they take every patient through what is basically a flow chart of treatment. We did not feel a personal touch in any way from this clinic, and the bedside manner was missing completely. There was no discussion or concern about my wife's mental state whatsoever.... Strengths would include a large network of clinics that share information, well-qualified doctors and an office with a nice atmosphere.
15 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Payne explained the rationale and treatment plan to us in detail when we first met with him. We started off with a not-so-great feeling once we were informed that the treatment plan would not be personalized to our needs and that we would follow a predetermined treatment plan that they use for every patient. We worked with PREG for about a year before we had had enough and sought out another clinic. Dr. Payne communicates well, and is kind to his patients. However, we just didn't feel like any of our treatment was personalized to our situation, and when we expressed our desire to take a different approach we felt that we weren't heard by Dr. Payne.
I would advise you to seek out a different clinic and a different Doctor. Dr. Payne has clearly had some success, but the clinic's overall philosophy does not include an individualized treatment plan for its patients.
PREG utilizes a formulaic approach to all fertility treatment patients. There is no personalized care, rather they take every patient through what is basically a flow chart of treatment. We did not feel a personal touch in any way from this clinic, and the bedside manner was missing completely. There was no discussion or concern about my wife's mental state whatsoever. On top of our poor experience with the doctors themselves and their treatment plans, none of the treatments resulted in a pregnancy.
Depending on the nurse that was assisting us that day, we had mixed feelings. Some of the nurses were very compassionate and gave us personal attention. Others were very business like and just wanted to get you in and out.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths would include a large network of clinics that share information, well-qualified doctors and an office with a nice atmosphere. Weaknesses include their overall approach to treatment - which is to say, it is not personalized at all to the patient. Every patient that comes in follows the same basic treatment plan. In our experience, that plan is not very exhaustive and ignores information gained via diagnostics that could point to the actual issue. Whatever that issue is, you're going to go through the same treatment plan as everyone else.
I don't remember the specifics, but in general the IUI's were pretty affordable. Less than $1,000 per cycle.

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Alma is the front desk coordinator [at PREG] and she will be your main point of contact. Make friends with her. The clinic is always clean and had very relaxing music playing, usually something along the lines of light rock. There are several things that they do throughout the year, such as Christmas wishes, where you can bring a wish written and put into a clear ornament and it will hang on their Christmas tree for good luck. They are very inclusive. All around the office there are pictures and thank-you cards from successful patients and their new bundles of joy.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Dr. Payne was very upfront from the beginning of the experience. I am overweight and he let me know that, no, I didn't have to lose weight, but if I did, it would be healthier. I never felt pressured to lose weight or that he wouldn't perform the procedure. When he learned my husband was a large part of the problem, he did everything he could to make sure we understood his condition. He was born without his vas defrens, meaning that he had no pathway for the sperm to get out. There were multiple semen analyses done in order to make sure there were no unnecessary procedures done. He took extra care to explain what would happen with the procedure my husband had to remove the sperm because it was my husband's first surgery and he was nervous. He also had nurses come to the waiting room to inform me of how things were going. The only thing I was not 100% satisfied with was that, though we did have an absolutely amazing experience and would choose him every time, he always felt a bit rushed. Im not sure if that was just his peraonality, always going, or if the facility had multiple patients scheduled around a certain time, but he always seemed to give us all the information we needed and asked for in a quick manner. Now don't mistake that as he didn't stay if we needed him. If we had additional questions, he stayed and answered them. It didn't appear to bother him, he never seemed unhappy to have to stay longer with us, and he never sent someone else in to answer our questions. He was just constantly moving with purpose.
Come in with a list of questions and a pen. This is for any doctor you see at PREG but especially Payne. He answers your questions quickly and moves on to the next topic so if you have a list of questions when you go in, you can make sure those questions are answered (write what he says next to the question for easy reference!) And you can also wrote down other questions that arise while he is talking if you don't want to interrupt him and go back to those questions at the end. Basically just make sure anything you wanted to know, you have written down.
I had previously seen another doctor at PREG as well as an RE in another location close by. With the first doctor at PREG (Dr. Nichols), I was slightly younger and my husband (who at the time was my boyfriend) worked 12-hour shifts 7am-7pm so most of the time, he was unable to accompany me. Though he and I had been together for 4-5 years, I felt as though I wasn't taken seriously by Dr. Nichols. He would not discuss anythi mg with me without my partner present and constantly stated we would talk more when my partner was able to be there. I felt patronized. With the second doctor at a different facility, I met with him only once before he called me over the weekend to inform me, in his exact words, that I was "too fat to get pregnant naturally" and that if I were willing to go on the program he and his wife were on, he would consider IVF for me. Dr. Payne was different. I went back to PREG and stated I wanted to be seen by any doctor other than Nichols, and they obliged. Dr. Payne took the time to get to know my husband and I together and separate since we had to go for different thimgs throughout the procedure. He was also frank with us when we asked about our chances, how everything could go, what his plan was, etc. He was an open book and even though he told us realistically our chances, he remained optimistic that we would be pregnant successfully. When we saw our first heartbeat, there were two and he told us that though it was exciting, there was still a chance of an early miscarriage for one or both. We did end up losing one of the twins and he comforted us but took great care in making sure the one we did have was healthy and stable to the best of his ability.
I don't remember specifics. I know I was on birth control for a few weeks to trick my body into having a period (they are extremely irregular-- I could have one every month or not have one for 2 years). Once I had my period, I began injections for egg retrieval and growth. I then took estrogen, estrace, and progesterone to keep the embryo happy in my uterus. Without specifics, I remember taking lupron, gonal-f, the estrogen and estrace, progesterone-in-oil, and some other pills throughout the cycle.
The nurses were absolutely amazing. They knew us by name and we felt more like a family. They always included both me and my husband in everything that was discussed, they allowed us to be together if one of us was uncomfortable, they laughed with us... They were amazing during this time!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Alma is the front desk coordinator and she will be your main point of contact. Make friends with her. The clinic is always clean and had very relaxing music playing, usually something along the lines of light rock. There are several things that they do throughout the year, such as Christmas wishes, where you can bring a wish written and put into a clear ornament and it will hang on their Christmas tree for good luck. They are very inclusive. All around the office there are pictures and thank-you cards from successful patients and their new bundles of joy. Make sure you make them one. The one weakness that we ever experienced, we made well-known to the clinic and they handled the situation. We were in the beginnijng stages and were discussing treatment options with one of the nurses and she said something along the lines Of, "you should take mijne for a day. You wouldn't want to be here and sure wouldn't want twins." I left in tears and my husband was furious because she was working in an office where literally EVERYBODY's point there was to get pregnant, and she made snide comments about her own child and how we wouldn't want one after that. We brought it to the attention of the staff and though she is no longer employed, that comment sticks with me.
My insurance covered a good bit thankfully, but that isn't always the case. We paid out-Of-pocket for our medications (about 4500) as well as for each ultrasound (usually between 150-300). We also paid a portion of the actual cost which totaled about 7000 after insurance. We had financing to cover this.
We were warned that multiple embryo transfer could lead to a higher chance of multiples and were told that having a multiple pregnancy was more risky, but ultimately it was our decision and we went through with transferring two embryos.

12 Eggs Frozen
1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Dr. Payne is very knowledgeable about cancer and how his treatments may have affected me. He was cautious about the amount of treatment (injections) he was giving me. I could see that he was very concerned. Even when I had to see another doctor once because he was out of the office, he made sure that I would be comfortable with the doctor and he checked to see how things went when he returned. I'm praying Dr. Payne will still be available when I move forward with having a baby. I can't think of one weakness to share about Dr. Payne. Just an overall great doctor!
The nursing staff [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] was really good. Everyone from the receptionist to the lady who drew my blood to the lady who did all my paperwork. I was always greeted with a smile and they always asked how I was feeling. They even listened to me rant and rave about my newly diagnosed cancer situation. I felt very comfortable with the nursing staff, nurse, and care coordinator.
12 Eggs Frozen
1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Be prepared to be pampered and have a doctor that actually listens and addresses your concerns.
Dr. Payne took the time to understand my personal situation. He knew how important egg retrieval was to me and he treated the situation with care. He took the time to research and understand the treatment I was about to undergo for breast cancer treatment. He even called to check and see how things were going. I couldn't ask for more.
I don't remember all of the strategies, but I can say that he made sure the treatments were of minimal affect on the breast cancer situation. He made sure he did not give me anything that would have made things much worse. He even contacted my doctor to make sure his treatment strategies would be suitable.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Thomason)
The nursing staff was really good. Everyone from the receptionist to the lady who drew my blood to the lady who did all my paperwork. I was always greeted with a smile and they always asked how I was feeling. They even listened to me rant and rave about my newly diagnosed cancer situation. I felt very comfortable with the nursing staff, nurse, and care coordinator.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths - Very personable staff. Office temperature is nice (not freezing). Never overlycrowded when I went at my appointment time. They always call and give results or further instructions when necessary. Weakness - I still can't think of a weakness.

2013
Dr. Payne took time to get to know our history...Dr. Payne helped us navigate the changes that had occurred. He was sensitive to our nerves of doing the process again. His words were accurate, yet compassionate and understanding. During the embryo transfer process I was anxious to tears. He was slow to begin and very calming. He told us to trust the process. He encouraged us to only transfer 2 embryos and freeze the remaining embryo.
They [Piedmont Repro] worked around my work schedule and were able to see me 1st thing in the morning for all blood work and monitoring. I never had to wait longer than 5 min....Friendly, clean, timely. Very organized. Compassionate. Happy to answer any questions. If they don't know they will find someone who does. I've been to the new Asheville office and it is very nice. Much better facility than original location. The Greenville office is also very friendly and very organized.
2013
Dr. Payne took time to get to know our history. We had previously had a successful IVF in 2005 in a different state. Dr. Payne helped us navigate the changes that had occurred. He was sensitive to our nerves of doing the process again. His words were accurate, yet compassionate and understanding. During the embryo transfer process I was anxious to tears. He was slow to begin and very calming. He told us to trust the process. He encouraged us to only transfer 2 embryos and freeze the remaining embryo. He was honest about the possibility of multiples and honest about the dangers of multiples as well.
Ask questions. He is happy to answer. He uses your questions as a guide to what to explain.
Dr. Payne was thorough and thoughtful. We were familiar with the IVF process from our first child, but it had been 7 years since then. Dr. Payne took time to explain how the process had improved and what to expect.
I was going to a satellite office in Asheville, NC, so there was only 1 nurse staffed there and she was a midwife. She was excellent. Got to know me very well.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The Asheville office was super convenient. They worked around my work schedule and were able to see me 1st thing in the morning for all blood work and monitoring. I never had to wait longer than 5 min.
About $15,000
Dr. Payne chose to transfer 2 embryos because that is what we had transferred the first time and we had a successful single birth. He didn't want to change too much for what we had done before because it worked. I wanted all 3 embryos at first because I wanted the best possible results. Dr. Payne was very thorough in explaining the pros/cons of multiple embryo transfers and we decided together to only transfer 2 and freeze one.

2015 - 2019
We appreciate Dr. Payne and his treatment. This is our second round of treatments with him....I do wish we had the opportunity to talk to him more. We have mainly seen the nurses this time.... For our daughter we did 2 months of Femara and then switched to Clomid and Gonal-F which was successful. This time we started with Clomid and Gonal-F. We have had several months of timed intercourse, 5 IUI treatments, and several months of cysts.
This clinic [PREG] is amazing and we recommend it to anyone who asks our opinion. We love the front office staff, the lab tech, nurses, nurse practitioner, doctors, everyone! The staff at this clinic makes us feel welcome and comfortable.... Stephanie is an amazing nurse who is really kind and loving. She explains herself thoroughly and gets truly involved with her patients. For our first daughter she was the only nurse who worked there
2015 - 2019
We appreciate Dr. Payne and his treatment. This is our second round of treatments with him. We hope and pray it results in pregnancy and Payne is thinking of ways to get there. I do wish we had the opportunity to talk to him more. We have mainly seen the nurses this time.
He talks really fast!
Dr. Payne talks fast but helps to explain the process and makes you fully aware of all options.
Stephanie is an amazing nurse who is really kind and loving. She explains herself thoroughly and gets truly involved with her patients. For our first daughter she was the only nurse who worked there so we choose her for our second (we honestly love all of the nurses). Stephanie emails, calls, and has even cried with us!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
This clinic is amazing and we recommend it to anyone who asks our opinion. We love the front office staff, the lab tech, nurses, nurse practitioner, doctors, everyone! The staff at this clinic makes us feel welcome and comfortable.
I paid for labs, appointments, medicines, and tests.
+ Read more- Read less

We opted to have IVF with eggs retreived and then frozen due to the percent of pregnancy rate going up in probability. This was advised [by Dr. John Payne] as our best option...We had 9 Eggs retrieved. 3 we're viable. They all didn't survive. He is now suggesting a second round...He is very friendly and professional...He is good at what he does. He very professional and concerned with my wife's care and the care of our future family. He may have gone into too much detail but he was able to communicate in a fashion that I understood.
I can't think of too many weaknesses [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] other than the normal IVF astronomical costs involved. Their strengths are cleanliness, professionalism, compassion, sense of humor to put you at ease. They all seem to be on the same page and have the same amount of information regardless of the amount of questions that you bring to them.
Be ready for the amount of information and be ready for sticker shock.
He is very friendly and professional. You can tell he has a family and knows how important it is for couples during this hard time. At least I felt that way.
We opted to have IVF with eggs retreived and then frozen due to the percent of pregnancy rate going up in probability. This was advised as our best option. My wife did the shots treatment which I compassionately administered. We had 9 Eggs retrieved. 3 we're viable. They all didn't survive. He is now suggesting a second round.
They are the most friendly nurses I've ever run across. They're very professional and very informative as well as compassionate at the same time. They also have a good sense of humor.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I can't think of too many weaknesses other than the normal IVF astronomical costs involved. Their strengths are cleanliness, professionalism, compassion, sense of humor to put you at ease. They all seem to be on the same page and have the same amount of information regardless of the amount of questions that you bring to them.
Out of pocket: $6500 for IVF procedures and checkups. $7-8000 for medications reduced 75% using aid. Charged in insurance $?
We've only been given the option of single embryo.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Payne is always available when I have any questions or concerns. He listened to my thoughts and made decisions that would benefit me the best. He is very personable and has great beside manner.... Originally we attempted Femera to help with ovulation, due to my irregular cycles we hoped this would help with timing ovulation. The pills did not work so we sat down again to see what our next step should be. We tried IUI the next cycle with the Femera and HCG trigger shot. That cycle also resulted in a negative pregnancy test. Due to my multiple miscarriages I was advised that IVF would be my next choice.
All of the nursing staff [at PREG-Spartanburg] was amazing, I probably called the office a 1,000 times and each time they were pleasant. Stephanie never made me feel like I was bothersome or annoying. I enjoy everyone in the office all the way to the front desk.... Strengths: Friendly, Knowledgeable, Understanding, Hard working, Clean Office setting, Several Options available for Fertility Treatment. Weaknesses: Sometimes it takes a while to speak with the Financial Adviser.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Payne and I have a great patient/doctor relationship he always listens no matter what thought I have. He makes sure that I was not trying things that would not benefit me. He is very understanding and sensitive to what I'm going through.
Trust him and be patient this is a long journey.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie-IVF Coordinator )
All of the nursing staff was amazing, I probably called the office a 1,000 times and each time they were pleasant. Stephanie never made me feel like I was bothersome or annoying. I enjoy everyone in the office all the way to the front desk.
HSG-$350 IUI$153 Ultrasound-$50 Blood Work-$50
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Payne] was very knowledgeable, explained everything very thoroughly and was good in that he gave us hope for achieving our dream of becoming parents. He also took the time to talk to us about normal, everyday things... If a miscarriage occurs again the plan is to do a D & C to see if we can get more information as to why this may be happening....
[Piedmont Repro] Strengths- Staff, communication, flexibility in getting me in as quick as possible. Weakness- Yet to find any, all of my experiences thus far have been positive,...I wish that payment plans were available for IVF as this is very expensive and nearly impossible for my husband and I to afford all up front....Very friendly and always willing to help with any questions I have...
He was very knowledgeable, explained everything very thoroughly and was good in that he gave us hope for achieving our dream of becoming parents. He also took the time to talk to us about normal, everyday things.
Trust him
He look his time with us and explained everything is detail. He also acted like he cared about our outcome.
After our HSG test, and all of our other testing we were diagnosed with unexplained recurrent pregnancy loss in which the plan is to continue to try to conceive naturally as well as take progesterone and baby aspirin. I was also diagnosed with slight hypothyroidism in which I have been medicating for. I was offered to start ovulation inducing drugs when and if I wish to do so. If a miscarriage occurs again the plan is to do a D & C to see if we can get more information as to why this may be happening.
Very friendly and always willing to help with any questions I have.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths- Staff, communication, flexibility in getting me in as quick as possible. Weakness- Yet to find any, all of my experiences thus far have been positive, other than fainting during a blood draw and that was my fault. I wish that payment plans were available for IVF as this is very expensive and nearly impossible for my husband and I to afford all up front.
HSG/Ultrasound/Labs?meds- around $4,000
No comments
+ Read more- Read less
He [Dr. John Payne] was fine, but I hardly ever saw him. At least he was open to my thoughts about trying IUI at my age, though he had discussed IVF with me. I told him that wasn't an option because I had only set aside a certain amount of money to "just see what happens". He respected that and so we went ahead. However, I had only seen him in passing after that. Most of my time was spent with the nurses.
Strength [for PREG]: There's always someone on staff to help you, even when you're frustrated about your treatment. They get things resolved. Weakness: There's something very "assembly line" about the whole process, I supposed. I also wished they had elaborated more on their donor embryo program, too. It was mentioned once and never again. At least that's cheaper than IVF.
He was fine, but I hardly ever saw him. At least he was open to my thoughts about trying IUI at my age, though he had discussed IVF with me. I told him that wasn't an option because I had only set aside a certain amount of money to "just see what happens". He respected that and so we went ahead. However, I had only seen him in passing after that. Most of my time was spent with the nurses.
Ask all of your questions and them some because he will answer them.
I only saw him once and that was during my initial consultation.
I got IUI 3 times. I didn't have any history (not really) of infertility other than I'm single. You can't make a baby with just an egg, you know. Anyway, we knew that because of my age and my DOR that it might not be possible to get pregnant, but we went with IUI anyway. IVF would've been the better way to go, but not at those prices.
They were friendly enough when it came to my inseminations. They always checked everything to make sure I was getting what I was supposed to get. They were...nurses.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strength: There's always someone on staff to help you, even when you're frustrated about your treatment. They get things resolved. Weakness: There's something very "assembly line" about the whole process, I supposed. I also wished they had elaborated more on their donor embryo program, too. It was mentioned once and never again. At least that's cheaper than IVF.
About $4500
My doctor didn't go that approach.

2016 - 2019
Our experience with Dr. Payne was very comfortable. He made not only myself but my spouse 100% at ease with the detailed information he provided. He never made any questions feel irrelevant or 'ignorant'. He is truly amazing and understanding. ... Dr. Payne is a very warming Dr. He speaks to you and your partner as if you are someone he has known for a long time. He explains things in detail to ensure the complete understanding of things. Absolutely an amazing, trustworthy doctor.
Their [PREG] weakness is how confusing the location is nothing negative about this place. It is warming and completely different than what I've read elsewhere. Highly recommend this caring staff to anyone who is dreaming of expanding their hearts to little hearts. ... [Nursing Staff] Funny, supportive, and very concerning of emotions expressed every time. They make you feel equally important each time you're there.
2016 - 2019
Be honest and open, no matter how embarrassed or uneducated you may feel when asking questions. He will not treat or make you feel that way.
Dr. Payne is a very warming Dr. He speaks to you and your partner as if you are someone he has known for a long time. He explains things in detail to ensure the complete understanding of things. Absolutely an amazing, trustworthy doctor. We look forward to his loyalty in our family's additions to come. God willing.
Haven't went through treatments, as those are our final steps in this process.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Their strengths are endless. Their weakness is how confusing the location is nothing negative about this place. It is warming and completely different than what I've read elsewhere. Highly recommend this caring staff to anyone who is dreaming of expanding their hearts to little hearts.
6995.00
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Payne is very knowledgable. He makes you feel welcome and demonstrates a genuine concern for his patients. I felt comfortable talking to him and asking him questions. Office consultations were very thorough. He adequately explained all test results and potential upcoming procedures and/ or treatment options....If you haven't familarized yourself with some of the "lingo" ahead of time, you may find yourself a little confused. He is very understanding, so feel free to interupt and interject with questions at any time.
The clinic [PREG] is very efficent. They have all paperwork well organized. The wait time at the clinic wasn't very long. People greeted you and demonstrated compassion for your situation. I never felt as if I was an inconvenience to the staff. I appreciated their text, emails, and phone call appointment reminders and/ or test result updates.... Office consultations were very thorough. He [Dr. Payne] adequately explained all test results and potential upcoming procedures and/ or treatment options.
My advise would be for you to come having done some research yourself. Dr. Payne is very knowledable and can speak medical terminology very quickly. If you haven't familarized yourself with some of the "lingo" ahead of time, you may find yourself a little confused. He is very understanding, so feel free to interupt and interject with questions at any time.
He was very personable. He shook our hands, made eye contact, and was very thorough in his explanations. He gave us as much time as we needed to ensure we understood everything, and he didn't pressure us to make decisions too soon.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is very efficent. They have all paperwork well organized. The wait time at the clinic wasn't very long. People greeted you and demonstrated compassion for your situation. I never felt as if I was an inconvenience to the staff. I appreciated their text, emails, and phone call appointment reminders and/ or test result updates.
+ Read more- Read less
Dr. Payne was very receptive to my needs. He was as detailed as I needed during our discussions. He really listened to our concerns and made us feel comfortable with our plan of action. We are yet to conceive but feel confident we are headed in right direction under Dr. Payne's care.... I was frustrated with my experience early on due to the office staff. I expressed my concerns and Dr. Payne contacted me after hours one night and talked with me for nearly an hour.
Emilie Smith is the nurse practitioner that does all of our ultrasound scans. She also did our IUI. She is absolutely AMAZING! I email her constantly with questions and she is always quick to respond. She's also super friendly!... The office I go to was recently merged with PREG. There have definitely been some pains with that but they seem to be getting better.
Just ask questions!
Because I have PCOS we started off using only oral medications and trigger shots to force ovulation. We did that for 5 months. We did our first round of IUI last week...too early for results just yet.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Emilie Smith)
IUI approximately $900
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Payne was great. He was kind, smart, and patient with us. He seemed like he'd be flexible if you wanted to try something different. He was competent, but not arrogant. I never got the feeling that he was too busy to talk with us. We'd tried IUI several times at a different clinic, but he recommended IVF and it worked!... Dr. Payne treated us like intelligent people. He didn't talk down to us. He took time to answer our questions.
The staff in the Asheville, NC office [of PREG] (where I went the most) were kind of clueless. They never told me the next steps or scheduled the next appointment unless I was persistent about asking. You really have to take control of your own treatment because the staff won't walk you through it..... Lindsay was a caring nurse who took time out to answer my emails. She didn't always seem super knowledgeable, but perhaps she was still learning. Some of the office staff were a little clueless.
Watch out for some of the other doctors
We did one cycle of IUI that did not work. Since we'd done a couple of IUI cycles elsewhere, we moved on to IVF. We ended up with 5 viable embryos. We transferred one embryo. Now we have a healthy and happy 15 month old daughter!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Catalano)
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff in the Asheville, NC office (where I went the most) were kind of clueless. They never told me the next steps or scheduled the next appointment unless I was persistent about asking. You really have to take control of your own treatment because the staff won't walk you through it.
I think it all cost around $20,000
Since it worked, I'm glad we did single embryo transfer. Twins would have been difficult.
+ Read more- Read less

He's [Dr. John Payne] nice and gives you some information you need, but I was hoping for more in terms of things I might be able to do on my own that would increase my chances of getting pregnant. Instead, I had to go to online forums and places like that to learn about stuff like DHEA and whether or not it would work. I couldn't afford IVF or donor eggs, so things like that were my only option and they weren't explored...I was on clomid at 100mg and doing IUI each time.
[Piedmont Repro - G'ville] Watch your bills. You'll end up with a different price every time you come. Also, keep an eye on your records because I've had a few times where thing either had to get confirmed and the left hand wasn't talking to the right hand. KNOW YOUR PROTOCOL....I'm not sure if the doctors talk to each other, but I've seen just about all of them. They either don't know what's going on or don't convey the information to the other.
He's nice and gives you some information you need, but I was hoping for more in terms of things I might be able to do on my own that would increase my chances of getting pregnant. Instead, I had to go to online forums and places like that to learn about stuff like DHEA and whether or not it would work. I couldn't afford IVF or donor eggs, so things like that were my only option and they weren't explored.
Go in armed with your questions no matter how ludicrous they may sound. You're the patient who's most likely paying out of pocket, so get everything you can out of all your visits.
My insurance seemed to be the only thing that mattered. Also, LONG wait times in the office.
I was on clomid at 100mg and doing IUI each time.
They were fine. The IUIs were more painful than I remembered with my last RE.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
About $550 per visit. That price never seemed to stay the same though.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Payne set out a pregnancy plan from A-Z and was clear and thorough. Although he almost gave me a heart attack with the suggestion, he actually convinced me to carry mine and my wife's first child... I was on Clomid the first cycle and it ended with a negative pregnancy. The dose was increased the second time, and I have a healthy, happy 2-year old. We also did an injection to prompt ovulation.
The office [for PREG] in Spartanburg is small so you have to go to Greenville for the procedures. That is the most inconvenient thing. Other than that, the Spartanburg office is convenient and they work with your schedule to get you in and out.... Dr. Payne and his entire staff made us feel like we were the only person in the office. They are caring and compassionate and will do whatever you need to put you at ease during the process.
Dr. Payne set out a pregnancy plan from A-Z and was clear and thorough. Although he almost gave me a heart attack with the suggestion, he actually convinced me to carry mine and my wife's first child :)
He will put you at ease.
They are the best!!! They go out of their way to make you feel at ease.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The office in Spartanburg is small so you have to go to Greenville for the procedures. That is the most inconvenient thing. Other than that, the Spartanburg office is convenient and they work with your schedule to get you in and out.
We had fertility insurance so the most expensive cost was the initial bloodwork. After that, everything was covered at 70%.

2012 - 2015
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
He [Dr John Payne] gave me the information I needed and made recommendations that made sense....The interactions in the office are mainly with the nurses and they are fantastic! They take the time and are easy to reach even by email. I don't feel that I had as much of a relationship with the Doctor as I did with them....You won't see him {Dr Payne] a ton but will see him when necessary.
[Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group is a] smaller setting where you are treated like a person. Everyone knows your name when you get there and is so supportive!...Cost for the IVF was $10,000 but between the first appointments and then medications we spent a total of about 18,000....The interactions in the office are mainly with the nurses and they are fantastic! They take the time and are easy to reach even by email.
2012 - 2015
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
He gave me the information I needed and made recommendations that made sense.
You won't see him a ton but will see him when necessary.
Aggressive stim cycle due to diminished ovarian reserve. Recommendation to start supplements and acupuncture 3 months prior. This was second cycle of IVF we did. I only had 5 eggs and 3 that were viable and transferred but this cycle resulted in a healthy baby. The first cycle was 3 years prior, we weren't as aggressive and I had more eggs retrieved and fertilized but no pregnancy.
The best! They still email Me to see how the pregnancy is going.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Smaller setting where you are treated like a person. Everyone knows your name when you get there and is so supportive!

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr Payne was very kind and compassionate and always made sure my care was tailored to individual needs...Very knowledgeable...Truly cares about his patients and explains everything thoroughly throughout your entire infertility journey. Makes you feel as though no question is too silly to ask and puts all of your concerns at ease...we have so far used a combination of femera, timed intercourse, IUI, and trigger shots.
Every part of this clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] is excellent from the front office staff to the doctors and nurses. Very clean facility and the different locations makes it easy to plan for appointments around a busy work and life schedule...The nursing staff is very good at explaining ever procedure and making you feel as if they are in this journey with you. They promptly answer and return phone calls and help to keep your care organized.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Very knowledgeable and kind professional . Truly cares about his patients and explains everything thoroughly throughout your entire infertility journey. Makes you feel as though no question is too silly to ask and puts all of your concerns at ease.
I am still on my infertility journey however we have so far used a combination of femera, timed intercourse, IUI, and trigger shots.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Every part of this clinic is excellent from the front office staff to the doctors and nurses. Very clean facility and the different locations makes it easy to plan for appointments around a busy work and life schedule.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Payne explains everything and is very honest but also compassionate. He wants to work with you to try and reach the goal of creating a family. He answers any questions that you have about any of the tests or paths that you can take.... Just go in and tell him all your past history. Bring any labs or medications and ask questions... Just go in and tell him all your past history. Bring any labs or medications and ask questions
They [PREG] are great nice friendly staff who call you back in a timely manner and greet you when you come in the door. They explain things to where you can understand and are willing to listen to you.and answer any questions you have....They call back to answer questions in a timely manner. They are very compassionate and answer any questions that I have... Dr Payne explains everything and is very honest but also compassionate. He wants to work with you to try and reach the goal of creating a family.
He explained things and took my emotions into account.
I have tried using fertility medication and done an IUI which lead to a pregnancy however it was a miscarriage
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are great nice friendly staff who call you back in a timely manner and greet you when you come in the door. They explain things to where you can understand and are willing to listen to you.and answer any questions you have.
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. John Payne] is kind and caring. He loves veterans. He doesn’t rush you in any appointment that you have. He accepts tricare for workup medical and took me on short notice from Nichols. He has children of his own and proudly tells you about them if asked. He has a love for getting people to have their dreams come true of having children
Numbers that doctors say and websites say aren’t what you are given in finance [at Piedmont Reproductive Endo Group-Greenville]. I was expecting and had saved a certain number for simply Ivf- but then i was given completely different numbers. Not a bad thing just a shock- and I’ve had to delay my simply Ivf in order to save more.
He is kind and caring. He loves veterans. He doesn’t rush you in any appointment that you have. He accepts tricare for workup medical and took me on short notice from Nichols. He has children of his own and proudly tells you about them if asked. He has a love for getting people to have their dreams come true of having children
Dr. Payne has seen me twice. He knew me and my wife when we entered his office the second time. He had a plan. He took his time. He is a lover of veterans and didn’t rush us in any way during any procedure.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Numbers that doctors say and websites say aren’t what you are given in finance. I was expecting and had saved a certain number for simply Ivf- but then i was given completely different numbers. Not a bad thing just a shock- and I’ve had to delay my simply Ivf in order to save more.
Just for work ups it’s been $800 range.
My only concern is he said he will only place one embryo in any Ivf cycle with me. I have concerns that this isn’t a health thing and more of a come back again to do more drugs and another implanting... I haven’t discussed this with him yet but will see if he will do two to have a higher chance of initial success.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Payne spent a lot of time when we first met explaining the different things that could cause infertility and the the different test we would do to rule out any causes. He also explained each procedure in great detail and always answered our questions. He is very compassionate and and accommodating to our specific needs.... He is very busy so book in advance and he will spend time explaining things so don’t be in a rush to leave.
[PREG is] Very accommodating with schedules, friendly, informative. Appointment reminders were so helpful during the Ivf process those would have also been helpful during iui. Jackie in the lab is the absolute sweetest. Financial department is always very helpful when request costs etc.... The majority of the staff has been very friendly, caring and informative.
Dr. Payne has always been very personable and accommodating to our specific needs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay )
The majority of the staff has been very friendly, caring and informative.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I was Encouraged to do a single embryo transfer my first cycle, due to my age, weight and being first transfer. We elected to transfer two. Dr. Payne respected our decision but also reminded us our goal is one healthy baby at a time.

2012 - 2018
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr Payne is kind and compassionate as well as extremely knowledgeable and helpful. He really made us feel comfortable every step of the way. He always took time to thoroughly answer any questions or concerns that we had....We had a miscarriage after my first IUI, then negative tests after 4 more IUIs. We were successful on our first IVF attempt. 2 embryos resulted in one perfect little boy! We are so thankful for our son!
This clinic provides excellent care for their patients! They always answer any questions or concerns, and they return calls quickly. Each member of their team is kind and compassionate, and they really care about their patients!... I love the staff at PREG!! They are so caring and kind!! They provide the best care!!... I had to take out a personal loan because it was not covered under my insurance. The Financial staff were very helpful!
2012 - 2018
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Trust the group at PREG! They do a wonderful job! You are in good hands!
He is a wonderful doctor that provides individualized care.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We placed 2 embryos, and this decision was discussed as a group. I felt like my input was heard as well as their expertise provided. My husband and I felt the chance of 2 babies were better than our 0!

IUI, Donor Sperm
Even though I’m part of the LGBT community and a single parent, he [Dr. John Payne] treated me like any other patient.... I personally think that Dr. Payne has no weaknesses. I wasn’t educated at all when it came to infertility, and after one visit I got a clear understanding of everything. He told me what I should be expecting the next appointment. He also educated me on the medical history of the sperm donors.
I mean everybody’s so kind and helpful [at Piedmont Reproductive and Endocrinology Group]. I didn’t wait that long to talk to the doc. I was late 30 minutes to my appointment and they still squeezed me in. The clinic’s atmosphere is so welcoming... They [the nursing staff] are kind and extremely helpful.
Black or African-American, Native American
IUI, Donor Sperm
He’s a great Doc. You can open up to him about fertility questions.
Even though I’m part of the LGBT community and a single parent, he treated me like any other patient.
He didn’t prescribe any medication because I’m a healthy 20 y/o with no fertility issues.
They are kind and extremely helpful.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Same as the strengths of the doc. I mean everybody’s so kind and helpful. I didn’t wait that long to talk to the doc. I was late 30 minutes to my appointment and they still squeezed me in. The clinic’s atmosphere is so welcoming
My insurance does not cover any of my expenses so PREG prices for the ones that are like me are affordable. Costs goes down about $100-$300 more.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Payne really seemed to have an invested interest. At one appointment, he mentioned discussing our care as part of a conference call. It made me feel like he was actively planning our care, not just going through he motions.... We have unexplained infertility. He took us from the least invasive to most. Hoping small intervention would work.
Overall I enjoyed my visits [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group]. It’s one of the only clinics in the area. The staff were always friendly and would explain anything needed. It was a pleasant experience in an unconfortable situation. I would recommend them to others.... ost was around $12000 for the eg lg retrieval and one ivf transfer. About $3600 for each transfer after, not including medication.
Fertility is hard, no matter what!
Dr Payne is very personal able.
They were all pleasant and enjoyable to see.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Overall I enjoyed my visits. It’s one of the only clinics in the area. The staff were always friendly and would explain anything needed. It was a pleasant experience in an unconfortable situation. I would recommend them to others.
Cost was around $12000 for the eg lg retrieval and one ivf transfer. About $3600 for each transfer after, not including medication.
Based on our case he recommended single transfer.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
He [Dr. Payne] listened and showed us he cared about what we have to say. We never once felt like we were rushed out from our appointment time with him. He always had a smile on his face that made us felt comfortable...He took his time talking and listening to our questions and concerns... We left understanding and hopeful.
The clinic [Piedmont Repro - G'ville] gives you all the information you need or have any questions about. It is a cery clean and inviting environment. The doctor’s and staffs are all very friendly. This is the best fertility clinic....[Nursing Staff] Everyone was sweet and very informative...We never once felt like he [Dr. Payne] was rushing us out the door and that was what made our visits wonderful. We left understanding and hopeful.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
I loved how he always had a smile on his face as soon as he enter the exam room and he showed interest in what we had to say. He took his time talking and listening to our questions and concerns. We never once felt like he was rushing us out the door and that was what made our visits wonderful. We left understanding and hopeful.
He’s the best and makes you feel hopeful.
He listened and showed us he cared about what we have to say. We never once felt like we were rushed out from our appointment time with him. He always had a smile on his face that made us felt comfortable. He was truly a big part of making our dream of having a sibling for our oldest child come true.
Everyone was sweet and very informative
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic gives you all the information you need or have any questions about. It is a cery clean and inviting environment. The doctor’s and staffs are all very friendly. This is the best fertility clinic.
$17,000 +
+ Read more- Read less
Dr. Payne spent a great deal of time with us to make sure we understood our care. Very easy to talk to, very caring and very knowledgeable....Dr. Payne was wonderful! I'll never be able to say thank you enough!! He gave us hope and guided us through the entire journey. He's one of the most down to earth compassionate doctors one could imagine...PREG is very warm, nurturing where patients feel supported and safe. You're never a number there. They know patients by name and truly care about helping patients get pregnant.
PREG is very warm, nurturing where patients feel supported and safe. You're never a number there. They know patients by name and truly care about helping patients get pregnant...Appointments were scheduled in the early morning hours so I could get to work...[Nurse] Stephanie was wonderful. She always returned my calls, answered my questions and supported me. I couldn't have done it without her...Dr. Payne spent a great deal of time with us to make sure we understood our care. Very easy to talk to, very caring and very knowledgeable.
Dr. Payne was wonderful! I'll never be able to say thank you enough!! He gave us hope and guided us through the entire journey. He's one of the most down to earth compassionate doctors one could imagine. If you're having trouble getting pregnant, see Dr. Payne!
Ask questions and make sure you understand what to do.
Don't remember, sorry.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Appointments were scheduled in the early morning hours so I could get to work.
Don't remember.
Dr. Payne recommended eSET because of the complications of multiples.
+ Read more- Read less
Dr. Payne was always very detailed during each appointment and was good with finding different options to meet my needs. During each visit, we went over success rates, costs, and any other information that was needed.... Dr. Payne was filled with compassion and was very concerned and optimistic about achieving a healthy pregnancy... After blood work and exams I started with pills to regulate my cycle and ovulation and then moved on to injections with the use of IUIs
The clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] overall has a great atmosphere. Everyone their is very knowledgeable and if they don’t know an answer, they will find it. They are very prompt and dedicated to the needs of their patients. Everyone loves their job and it shows... After blood work and exams I started with pills to regulate my cycle and ovulation and then moved on to injections with the use of IUIs
Stay optimistic and patient
Very optimistic and loves their job
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic overall has a great atmosphere. Everyone their is very knowledgeable and if they don’t know an answer, they will find it. They are very prompt and dedicated to the needs of their patients. Everyone loves their job and it shows
Didn’t have fertility insurance so somewhat expensive
2011 - 2013
He [Dr. Payne] was a very caring doctor that made me feel at ease and seem to love his job of making families complete. Best doctor ever and staff I have ever came in contact with....From the start I was treated with respect and compassion. I was up in age and he didn’t make me feel like it would be hopeless about having a child at my age. I drove an hour and half and didn’t mind the drive cause I knew I was in good hands.
The staff [Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] was awesone and especially showed sympathy and compassion after my miscarriage....Mini Ivf was about 6,000 per round not including medications which my insurance carrier did not pay for....I didn’t not see any weaknesses. Everyone from front office to the doctors seem to love their jobs. Never heard any negative comments about patients or complaints which is rare. Best fertility clinic ever.
2011 - 2013
He is worth the drive and the time. I recommend him to everyone I work with that have trouble getting pregnant.
He was a very caring doctor that made me feel at ease and seem to love his job of making families complete. Best doctor ever and staff I have ever came in contact with.
The staff was awesone and especially showed sympathy and compassion after my miscarriage.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Everything was great! I didn’t not see any weaknesses. Everyone from front office to the doctors seem to love their jobs. Never heard any negative comments about patients or complaints which is rare. Best fertility clinic ever.

Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Dr Payne was very detailed and he understood our concerns and emotions....Dr Payne is very intelligent. He explained each procedure step by step. He didn’t force us for anything. He explained risk and benefit of treatment. He was very informative. He understood our concerns and helped us understand the treatment.
Spartanburg location clinic is small but it is very nice. I really liked the decorations they had during Christmas time. All the front desk worker were very informative. They have big screen in ultrasound room which I liked it.... [the nurse] was very good with us. She was caring and helpful with our questions and concerns. She has always reply to our email or phone call within 24 hr.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Do your study before going to the clinic
Dr Payne was very detailed and he understood our concerns and emotions.
She was very good with us. She was caring and helpful with our questions and concerns. She has always reply to our email or phone call within 24 hr.

PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Payne is very thourough and kind. I don’t really have anything bad to say at this point. He seems very compassionate and understanding. I would have liked him to do my IUI procedure but the nurse that did it seemed to do a good job.... The staff at PREG is incredible. They are so kind and so nice. I feel like they are my friends. I wouldn’t be able to go through this without them.
The staff at PREG is incredible. They are so kind and so nice. I feel like they are my friends. I wouldn’t be able to go through this without them....Sometimes it is hard to call with a question but they usually get back to you within a reasonable amount of time. I wish I didn’t always have to leave a message but I understand that they are busy at times. The offices are very nice and comfortable to go to.
PCOS, Unexplained
Just get ready to be very patient.
Dr. Payne is very kind and explains things well.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
He [Dr. John Payne] is kind and well prepared. He was very knowledgeable and understanding. Gave us realistic hope and encouragement. Was very honest. My husband and I felt comfortable at every visit. He explained everything in detail.... Do your research first, know what to expect. Make a list of questions. The staff is great. From the secretaries to the phlebotomist. It was the best decision of my life. I can't wait to go back to try for baby#3
The staff [at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group] was great. I wish they would have told me that if they have me the injection in the office there was going to be another charge.... Do your research first, know what to expect. Make a list of questions. The staff is great. From the secretaries to the phlebotomist. It was the best decision of my life. I can't wait to go back to try for baby#3
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
He is kind and well prepared. He was very knowledgeable and understanding. Gave us realistic hope and encouragement. Was very honest. My husband and I felt comfortable at every visit. He explained everything in detail.
Trust him
He cared, was well prepared, even prayed for me
The staff was great. I wish they would have told me that if they have me the injection in the office there was going to be another charge.
8k procedure 5k meds
I am so thankful for his recommendation for a single transfer.
+ Read more- Read less

[Dr. Payne was] Very personable and caring. Gave detailed information...Genuine and empathetic. Knowledgeable and good rapport with nursing staff. Took lots of time and had patience. Gentle and good listener. Good with my husband and answering his questions. Thought about lots of.options...Antagonist protocol and FET polyp removal. Endometrial scratch and femera during fet.
[Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group was] Clean, organized, accessible. Wish they were opened later than noon on Fridays. Works with you financially. Good equipment and patient rooms. Nice surgery suite. Good nurse anesthesia. Prompt.return phone calls...Stephanie [nurse] was awesome! So sweet and knowledgeable. Staff were friendly and kind...[Dr. Payne was] Very personable and caring.
Take a list of questions with you.
Very personable and caring. Gave detailed information.
Stephanie was awesome! So sweet and knowledgeable. Staff were friendly and kind.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
He suggested eset first fet then let us decide the next fet since the first one failed.