Medical SchoolFurman
(864)-232-7734
1330 Boiling Springs Rd.
Spartanburg, SC 29303
(864)-583-2669
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend John Payne to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group to a friend?
2014 - 2017
Dr. Payne has a very warm bedside manner. He is very compassionate and caring....Dr. John Payne is a very caring and compassionate doctor. He wasn't the first doctor that I saw at the practice; I actually switched to him because I liked him better. He has an excellent bedside manner. He always took the time to answer any questions I had. He is also extremely knowledgeable about infertility. I would highly recommend him to anyone dealing with infertility.
2014 - 2017
How was your experience with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
I guess I would say something that I think is good advice for dealing with any doctor, that you need to be your own advocate with your health care. Speak up for yourself and don't be afraid to ask any questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Payne has a very warm bedside manner. He is very compassionate and caring.
Describe the protocols John Payne used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
I don't remember all the details of the cycles because my last full cycle was in 2014, but I do remember the medications used. I started out on birth control pills, then started injecting Lupron, then Gonal-F. And also estrogen patches and progesterone shots. And of course the hCG shot to trigger ovulation. I don't remember doses, but I always responded very well. For my frozen cycles I just did estrogen patches or pills and progesterone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Biggerstaff)
Stephanie Biggerstaff is the nurse at the Spartanburg office and the IVF coordinator. When I was doing my first IVF cycle in 2012 I only spoke with her on the phone because she was at the Greenville office at the time. When I was trying again in 2014 and 2017 she was the primary nurse at the Spartanburg office. She is truly amazing! She is so compassionate and empathetic. Takes the time to listen and give a hug when you need one. She truly goes the extra mile to make sure each patient receives the best care. I love nurse Stephanie so much that I bring my boys back to visit every so often. She made the infertility journey so much easier.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I can't think of anything but positive to say about PREG! All members of the staff have been very helpful and caring. They usually returned my calls or emails quickly. And have options to help with the cost, like they have an infertility seminar that you can go to once a year and get a coupon for $250 off.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They all always schedule monitoring appointments for early in the morning, so by around 8:30. I don't love having to go to the doctor that early, but it was definitely worth it! Usually when I went for an appointment there was not very many other people waiting.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I had insurance coverage for infertility for all but the last cycle. I don't remember exactly because it's been a while but I believe we paid about $2300 for a full cycle. I think they are $10,000 without insurance coverage. I think I paid about $1700 for the frozen cycles, although we had a low out of pocket max (3000 I think) so when we were trying for our 2nd child we ended up paying nothing for a full cycle, because had already done 2 frozen cycles that year. When we were trying for # 3 in 2017 we no longer had fertility coverage and paid $3100 for a frozen cycle.
Describe John Payne's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Dr. Payne was fine with us transferring two embryos. He left the decision up to us whether we wanted to transfer 1 or 2. I don't think he would have supported transferring more. I feel like he explained the risks well of transferring multiple embryos.
Spartanburg
Dr Payne was a wonderful doctor to work with. He was compassionate and thorough. He explained every procedure and what to expect. He understood any pain or discomfort and helped when needed. He worked with any personal insecurities.
He was very personable. He related to us, rejoiced with us and gave us any hard information with understanding and Grace
The only struggle I had was from the anesthesia used for the retrieval. Everything else was fine. I don't remember all the specifics of medication used. I followed the outline as given.
The entire staff was wonderful,! One nurse I did have as little issue with. I passed out at home and then couldn't hold any fluids down after the retrieval. The nurse I spoke with didn't take care if calling in a script in a timely manner, and wasn't compassionate. I told her beforehand that I don't do well with anesthesia and wasn't taken seriously. Other than that, every nurse I came in contact with was phenomenal!! The ladies in the lab showed genuine concern and took the highest care with me, even though I'm prone to passing out from blood draws, they knew to lay me down and didn't take issue with it.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG twas a fabulous clinic to work with. They take time to talk with you prior to making a decision to use fertility treatments. They give you a cost estimate based on your insurance and then give you suggestions to help with cost reduction (applying for prescription assistance, etc). The front staff gets to know you by name so you are greeted when walking in the door. Everyone rejoices in your success with you and takes care of you when you hot road blocks.
Dr Payne was very insistent on only transferring one embryo the first time as she was the highest possiblequality for a frozen embryo. He wouldn't transfer a second embryo since this was my first cycle and he wanted to do what was the safest for me and my child.
Columbia
I feel that Dr. Payne is very knowledgeable about my conditions and did explain the course of treatment for PCOS and anovulation. He allowed me to make my own decisions regarding how many times I could try a treatment while being realistic on the chances of it being successful. I did not care for the last time that we spoke him pushing IVF but he did explain everything and what to expect with the procedure itself. Of the times we spoke he was very kind and caring.
Research treatments and their success rates. Dr. Payne does not explain success rates in as much detail as he does with IVF.
The ladies in his office always knew my name and asked me personal questions regarding events in my life. I did not see Dr. Payne a lot but when I did he was very personable and I felt wanted to help me through the difficult journey of infertility.
We started our journey with 5 medicated cycles with timed intercourse. My HSG showed bilateral clear tubes and husbands semen analysis was normal with only mild variation in shape. I did not ovulate on my own so the thought was to add follicle stimulation medication. We did one cycle of clomid with no follicles at CD 12 ultrasound and then switched to femara for five cycles. The femara produced one follicle each month which ranged from 20-25mm. A HCG trigger shot was added with each medicated cycle to induce ovulation and three days of intercourse was suggested after administration of trigger shot. We did not conceive on any of the medicated cycles with timed intercourse. Dr. Payne suggested to try a more invasive procedure since the medicated cycles with timed intercourse seemed to not be enough so we tried IUI. The IUI was with femara and the HCG trigger. I produced one 20-25 follicle each cycle and we trigged with the IUI to follow 24 hours later. My husbands semen counts were between 15-23 million each procedure. We were unsuccessful with the IUI procedures. No explanation could be given and Dr. Payne suggested that we move on to an even more invasive procedure such as IVF as the chance for success after any three consecutive treatments is 30%. So here we are.
Stephanie was always very knowledgeable and helpful in answering any questions. She remembered little things about my personal life and made sure to make me feel comfortable at each appointment. She was also very encouraging which helped through the painful journey we were on.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths of the clinic include knowledge on all things infertility and treatments and personal care. The clinic is always kept very clean and appointments are easy to make. One weakness that comes to mind is the call back can sometimes take a little time. They generally return my calls by the end of the day but sometimes it can be the next day when I really need an answer.
Follicle scans were $86 per scan. Lab draws were $45. Semen analysis was $250. IUI procedure was $250.
Spartanburg
He always included me in the plan of care and gave me options to choose from for future cycles! Always answered questions fully and was very knowledgeable answering my questions! Great bedside manners! Dr Payne would sometimes seem rushed when meeting with him, however he was the only doctor at the Spartanburg office and if ever you had further questions after getting home you could always call the office and questions would be answered immediately!
Do not give up no matter how long the process is or how many failures you have to go through!
Dr Payne was always caring and concerned! Never once did he lose hope and faith that one day I will get pregnant and have a healthy pregnancy! He always gave me options to choose from instead of deciding for me and he included me in my plan of care!
For the 3 IUI procedures, I was taking Femara and gonal-f along with a trigger shot! I was not ovulating or producing eggs of great quality and these medications helped that process! For my IVF egg retrieval I was on an antagonist protocol! This worked very well as 19 eggs were retrieved, 16 were mature, 12 fertilized, and 5 made it to day 5 blasts! We were able to do a fresh transfer of 1 Embryo but this cycled failed as well! My first frozen Embryo transfer I was stimulated with estrace, medrol, and progesterone! We plan on transferring only one Embryo!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Biggerstaff )
Stephanie is always so kind and always has a smile on her face! She is there to listen, answer questions, calls back to answer questions or lab results in a timely manner, and is a shoulder to cry on through all the disappointments and failures! She is truely the sweetest person ever! She is a great person to communicate with through this journey! She has touched so many lives and families in ways she will never understand! Truely amazing!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Not a long wait in waiting room never no more than 20 minutes Clean, friendly, and enjoyable atmosphere Convenient locations Convenient appointment times No negative comments at all
the costs of these procedures are extremely expensive however I don't think it's in relation to the office or physician! I feel like, in general, all infertility treatments are extremely expensive! The office would work with you with payments but would not perform procedures until paid in full which would sometimes delay cycles and treatment!
I am a person who is scared of carrying multiples such as twins or triplets because I am a labor and delivery nurse and understand and know the risks of carrying multiples! Dr Payne is very adiment on only transferring just one Embryo for this simple reason! I love that about his plan of care for patients!
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Payne genuinely cares for his patients however, like any medical professional it is their job and sometimes that is evident as they base everything on statistics and often only gives very "GRAY" answers as nothing is very black and white in relation to answers you receive... I did Femara and Clomid for several cycles that failed. I then did Clomid plus Gonal F for a couple cycles and ultimately had one failed IUI cycle. We then decided to move forward with IVF (as Dr Payne also suggested) and I was on the antagonist protocol where birth control was taken then Gonal F and low dose HCG and Cetrotide was added in. I had retrieval and transfer. However, it failed with transferring two perfect quality embryos.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Payne is a great reproductive endocrinologist. Although I have not yet achieved the ultimate goal being pregnancy, he does genuinely care for his patients and want the best for us. I do wish I saw him more in the office as I go to a satellite campus and it is primarily ran by the nurses(which are amazing), but it's more trusting to see your physician more often. He is ultimately a good MD.
He moves fast! So if you can't comprehend as fast as he is relaying information to you, ask him to repeat things. Also, don't hesitate to ask for further details about things he may share in relation to statistics.
Stephanie is amazing! Literally, she is heaven sent in the field of infertility medicine. She is very compassionate. You never feel rushed. She always answers your questions. She laughs with you and cries with you. She is such a blessing.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic overall is a very organized well ran practice. This practice does strive to meet the standards of ASRM and to provide patients with a pregnancy the quickest and cheapest route. They are willing to help with finances occasionally if able! I like this practice a lot.
The Femara and Clomid was not that expensive. However, the gonal F is very expensive around 1000 per cycle it is used for stims during TI and IUI. During IVF, the expenses end up being around 10-20K for a normal cycle. Other test like genetic testing, etc are additional cost of around 4-5K. Infertility is not cheap. It is definitely a financial burden for all families undergoing this treatment.
He strongly recommends eSET if you have good quality embryos and are less than 35. However, I went with my gut understanding the risk with potential multiples....and as mentioned previously, transferred two perfect embryos and i am <35 and it did not result in a pregnancy.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Dr. Payne was very upfront from the beginning of the experience. I am overweight and he let me know that, no, I didn't have to lose weight, but if I did, it would be healthier. I never felt pressured to lose weight or that he wouldn't perform the procedure. When he learned my husband was a large part of the problem, he did everything he could to make sure we understood his condition. He was born without his vas defrens, meaning that he had no pathway for the sperm to get out. There were multiple semen analyses done in order to make sure there were no unnecessary procedures done. He took extra care to explain what would happen with the procedure my husband had to remove the sperm because it was my husband's first surgery and he was nervous. He also had nurses come to the waiting room to inform me of how things were going. The only thing I was not 100% satisfied with was that, though we did have an absolutely amazing experience and would choose him every time, he always felt a bit rushed. Im not sure if that was just his peraonality, always going, or if the facility had multiple patients scheduled around a certain time, but he always seemed to give us all the information we needed and asked for in a quick manner. Now don't mistake that as he didn't stay if we needed him. If we had additional questions, he stayed and answered them. It didn't appear to bother him, he never seemed unhappy to have to stay longer with us, and he never sent someone else in to answer our questions. He was just constantly moving with purpose.
Come in with a list of questions and a pen. This is for any doctor you see at PREG but especially Payne. He answers your questions quickly and moves on to the next topic so if you have a list of questions when you go in, you can make sure those questions are answered (write what he says next to the question for easy reference!) And you can also wrote down other questions that arise while he is talking if you don't want to interrupt him and go back to those questions at the end. Basically just make sure anything you wanted to know, you have written down.
I had previously seen another doctor at PREG as well as an RE in another location close by. With the first doctor at PREG (Dr. Nichols), I was slightly younger and my husband (who at the time was my boyfriend) worked 12-hour shifts 7am-7pm so most of the time, he was unable to accompany me. Though he and I had been together for 4-5 years, I felt as though I wasn't taken seriously by Dr. Nichols. He would not discuss anythi mg with me without my partner present and constantly stated we would talk more when my partner was able to be there. I felt patronized. With the second doctor at a different facility, I met with him only once before he called me over the weekend to inform me, in his exact words, that I was "too fat to get pregnant naturally" and that if I were willing to go on the program he and his wife were on, he would consider IVF for me. Dr. Payne was different. I went back to PREG and stated I wanted to be seen by any doctor other than Nichols, and they obliged. Dr. Payne took the time to get to know my husband and I together and separate since we had to go for different thimgs throughout the procedure. He was also frank with us when we asked about our chances, how everything could go, what his plan was, etc. He was an open book and even though he told us realistically our chances, he remained optimistic that we would be pregnant successfully. When we saw our first heartbeat, there were two and he told us that though it was exciting, there was still a chance of an early miscarriage for one or both. We did end up losing one of the twins and he comforted us but took great care in making sure the one we did have was healthy and stable to the best of his ability.
I don't remember specifics. I know I was on birth control for a few weeks to trick my body into having a period (they are extremely irregular-- I could have one every month or not have one for 2 years). Once I had my period, I began injections for egg retrieval and growth. I then took estrogen, estrace, and progesterone to keep the embryo happy in my uterus. Without specifics, I remember taking lupron, gonal-f, the estrogen and estrace, progesterone-in-oil, and some other pills throughout the cycle.
The nurses were absolutely amazing. They knew us by name and we felt more like a family. They always included both me and my husband in everything that was discussed, they allowed us to be together if one of us was uncomfortable, they laughed with us... They were amazing during this time!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Alma is the front desk coordinator and she will be your main point of contact. Make friends with her. The clinic is always clean and had very relaxing music playing, usually something along the lines of light rock. There are several things that they do throughout the year, such as Christmas wishes, where you can bring a wish written and put into a clear ornament and it will hang on their Christmas tree for good luck. They are very inclusive. All around the office there are pictures and thank-you cards from successful patients and their new bundles of joy. Make sure you make them one. The one weakness that we ever experienced, we made well-known to the clinic and they handled the situation. We were in the beginnijng stages and were discussing treatment options with one of the nurses and she said something along the lines Of, "you should take mijne for a day. You wouldn't want to be here and sure wouldn't want twins." I left in tears and my husband was furious because she was working in an office where literally EVERYBODY's point there was to get pregnant, and she made snide comments about her own child and how we wouldn't want one after that. We brought it to the attention of the staff and though she is no longer employed, that comment sticks with me.
My insurance covered a good bit thankfully, but that isn't always the case. We paid out-Of-pocket for our medications (about 4500) as well as for each ultrasound (usually between 150-300). We also paid a portion of the actual cost which totaled about 7000 after insurance. We had financing to cover this.
We were warned that multiple embryo transfer could lead to a higher chance of multiples and were told that having a multiple pregnancy was more risky, but ultimately it was our decision and we went through with transferring two embryos.
12 Eggs Frozen
1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Dr. Payne is very knowledgeable about cancer and how his treatments may have affected me. He was cautious about the amount of treatment (injections) he was giving me. I could see that he was very concerned. Even when I had to see another doctor once because he was out of the office, he made sure that I would be comfortable with the doctor and he checked to see how things went when he returned. I'm praying Dr. Payne will still be available when I move forward with having a baby. I can't think of one weakness to share about Dr. Payne. Just an overall great doctor!
12 Eggs Frozen
1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Be prepared to be pampered and have a doctor that actually listens and addresses your concerns.
Dr. Payne took the time to understand my personal situation. He knew how important egg retrieval was to me and he treated the situation with care. He took the time to research and understand the treatment I was about to undergo for breast cancer treatment. He even called to check and see how things were going. I couldn't ask for more.
I don't remember all of the strategies, but I can say that he made sure the treatments were of minimal affect on the breast cancer situation. He made sure he did not give me anything that would have made things much worse. He even contacted my doctor to make sure his treatment strategies would be suitable.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Thomason)
The nursing staff was really good. Everyone from the receptionist to the lady who drew my blood to the lady who did all my paperwork. I was always greeted with a smile and they always asked how I was feeling. They even listened to me rant and rave about my newly diagnosed cancer situation. I felt very comfortable with the nursing staff, nurse, and care coordinator.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths - Very personable staff. Office temperature is nice (not freezing). Never overlycrowded when I went at my appointment time. They always call and give results or further instructions when necessary. Weakness - I still can't think of a weakness.
Greenville
He [Dr. John Payne] was fine, but I hardly ever saw him. At least he was open to my thoughts about trying IUI at my age, though he had discussed IVF with me. I told him that wasn't an option because I had only set aside a certain amount of money to "just see what happens". He respected that and so we went ahead. However, I had only seen him in passing after that. Most of my time was spent with the nurses.
He was fine, but I hardly ever saw him. At least he was open to my thoughts about trying IUI at my age, though he had discussed IVF with me. I told him that wasn't an option because I had only set aside a certain amount of money to "just see what happens". He respected that and so we went ahead. However, I had only seen him in passing after that. Most of my time was spent with the nurses.
Ask all of your questions and them some because he will answer them.
I only saw him once and that was during my initial consultation.
I got IUI 3 times. I didn't have any history (not really) of infertility other than I'm single. You can't make a baby with just an egg, you know. Anyway, we knew that because of my age and my DOR that it might not be possible to get pregnant, but we went with IUI anyway. IVF would've been the better way to go, but not at those prices.
They were friendly enough when it came to my inseminations. They always checked everything to make sure I was getting what I was supposed to get. They were...nurses.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strength: There's always someone on staff to help you, even when you're frustrated about your treatment. They get things resolved. Weakness: There's something very "assembly line" about the whole process, I supposed. I also wished they had elaborated more on their donor embryo program, too. It was mentioned once and never again. At least that's cheaper than IVF.
About $4500
My doctor didn't go that approach.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
I truly enjoy not only Dr. Payne but his entire staff, infertility is not fun and can leave you very vulnerable. Dr. Payne has always kept me inform on what would be the best option for my husband and I without making feel unimportant.... My only con (which is not really a con) is that all his other patients feel the same so sometimes you have to wait a couple weeks to see him.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
My experience with Dr. Payne has been wonderful, he listens to my concerns and whatever wild thought I come up with he does not just dismiss it. My only con (which is not really a con) is that all his other patients feel the same so sometimes you have to wait a couple weeks to see him.
Just be patient and trust that he has your best interest at heart
I truly enjoy not only Dr. Payne but his entire staff, infertility is not fun and can leave you very vulnerable. Dr. Payne has always kept me inform on what would be the best option for my husband and I without making feel unimportant. I would recommend anyone to him.
We tried Pravera and he explained to me how I needed to take when I needed to come in and what my chances would be.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
They are completely awesome, I have a lot of miscarriages that have left me discouraged but they are always friendly and helpful.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Some of the strengths are that they are friendly and always willing to help. Sometimes they are busy so you may have to call back more than once. There is a website that you can use to communicate as well if you can not reach them on the phone.
It varied because I have a deductible with my insurance but it was ranged from $40-$150
Spartanburg
We liked Dr. Payne overall. Didn’t see him for every procedure but we didn’t expect to and that was okay. The doctors in the practice work closely together so we felt comfortable with any of them. Actually preferred having multiple people invested in our treatment...He knew who we were and remembered things about us that were not relevant to treatment - like where my husband works....We used an aggressive micro dose flare protocol. Lupron, low dose HCG, Gonal-F.
Ask plenty of questions - he is good at explaining but doesn’t necessarily give all the info unless you specifically ask.
We used an aggressive micro dose flare protocol. Lupron, low dose HCG, Gonal-F.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay)
She is excellent - fully explained IVF process, medications, timeline. Was always available for questions and genuinely cared about how we were doing during the whole process.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Overall it is great. Sometimes crowded and long wait times but the staff, nurses and doctors are always helpful and professional.
We had some insurance coverage for our IVF cycle. Ended up paying about $8000 out of pocket, including medications.
We only had 2 viable embryos so transferred both. The clinic offers eSET but we didn’t feel it was the right choice for us.
Greenville
Dr. Payne was very receptive to my needs. He was as detailed as I needed during our discussions. He really listened to our concerns and made us feel comfortable with our plan of action. We are yet to conceive but feel confident we are headed in right direction under Dr. Payne's care.... I was frustrated with my experience early on due to the office staff. I expressed my concerns and Dr. Payne contacted me after hours one night and talked with me for nearly an hour.
Just ask questions!
Because I have PCOS we started off using only oral medications and trigger shots to force ovulation. We did that for 5 months. We did our first round of IUI last week...too early for results just yet.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Emilie Smith)
Emilie Smith is the nurse practitioner that does all of our ultrasound scans. She also did our IUI. She is absolutely AMAZING! I email her constantly with questions and she is always quick to respond. She's also super friendly!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The office I go to was recently merged with PREG. There have definitely been some pains with that but they seem to be getting better.
IUI approximately $900
Columbia
Dr. Payne was great. He was kind, smart, and patient with us. He seemed like he'd be flexible if you wanted to try something different. He was competent, but not arrogant. I never got the feeling that he was too busy to talk with us. We'd tried IUI several times at a different clinic, but he recommended IVF and it worked!... Dr. Payne treated us like intelligent people. He didn't talk down to us. He took time to answer our questions.
Watch out for some of the other doctors
We did one cycle of IUI that did not work. Since we'd done a couple of IUI cycles elsewhere, we moved on to IVF. We ended up with 5 viable embryos. We transferred one embryo. Now we have a healthy and happy 15 month old daughter!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Catalano)
Lindsay was a caring nurse who took time out to answer my emails. She didn't always seem super knowledgeable, but perhaps she was still learning. Some of the office staff were a little clueless.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff in the Asheville, NC office (where I went the most) were kind of clueless. They never told me the next steps or scheduled the next appointment unless I was persistent about asking. You really have to take control of your own treatment because the staff won't walk you through it.
I think it all cost around $20,000
Since it worked, I'm glad we did single embryo transfer. Twins would have been difficult.
Spartanburg
He's [Dr. John Payne] nice and gives you some information you need, but I was hoping for more in terms of things I might be able to do on my own that would increase my chances of getting pregnant. Instead, I had to go to online forums and places like that to learn about stuff like DHEA and whether or not it would work. I couldn't afford IVF or donor eggs, so things like that were my only option and they weren't explored...I was on clomid at 100mg and doing IUI each time.
He's nice and gives you some information you need, but I was hoping for more in terms of things I might be able to do on my own that would increase my chances of getting pregnant. Instead, I had to go to online forums and places like that to learn about stuff like DHEA and whether or not it would work. I couldn't afford IVF or donor eggs, so things like that were my only option and they weren't explored.
Go in armed with your questions no matter how ludicrous they may sound. You're the patient who's most likely paying out of pocket, so get everything you can out of all your visits.
My insurance seemed to be the only thing that mattered. Also, LONG wait times in the office.
I was on clomid at 100mg and doing IUI each time.
They were fine. The IUIs were more painful than I remembered with my last RE.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Watch your bills. You'll end up with a different price every time you come. Also, keep an eye on your records because I've had a few times where thing either had to get confirmed and the left hand wasn't talking to the right hand. KNOW YOUR PROTOCOL.
About $550 per visit. That price never seemed to stay the same though.
Greenville
Dr. Payne set out a pregnancy plan from A-Z and was clear and thorough. Although he almost gave me a heart attack with the suggestion, he actually convinced me to carry mine and my wife's first child... I was on Clomid the first cycle and it ended with a negative pregnancy. The dose was increased the second time, and I have a healthy, happy 2-year old. We also did an injection to prompt ovulation.
Dr. Payne set out a pregnancy plan from A-Z and was clear and thorough. Although he almost gave me a heart attack with the suggestion, he actually convinced me to carry mine and my wife's first child :)
He will put you at ease.
Dr. Payne and his entire staff made us feel like we were the only person in the office. They are caring and compassionate and will do whatever you need to put you at ease during the process.
They are the best!!! They go out of their way to make you feel at ease.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The office in Spartanburg is small so you have to go to Greenville for the procedures. That is the most inconvenient thing. Other than that, the Spartanburg office is convenient and they work with your schedule to get you in and out.
We had fertility insurance so the most expensive cost was the initial bloodwork. After that, everything was covered at 70%.
2012 - 2015
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
He [Dr John Payne] gave me the information I needed and made recommendations that made sense....The interactions in the office are mainly with the nurses and they are fantastic! They take the time and are easy to reach even by email. I don't feel that I had as much of a relationship with the Doctor as I did with them....You won't see him {Dr Payne] a ton but will see him when necessary.
2012 - 2015
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
He gave me the information I needed and made recommendations that made sense.
You won't see him a ton but will see him when necessary.
Aggressive stim cycle due to diminished ovarian reserve. Recommendation to start supplements and acupuncture 3 months prior. This was second cycle of IVF we did. I only had 5 eggs and 3 that were viable and transferred but this cycle resulted in a healthy baby. The first cycle was 3 years prior, we weren't as aggressive and I had more eggs retrieved and fertilized but no pregnancy.
The best! They still email Me to see how the pregnancy is going.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Smaller setting where you are treated like a person. Everyone knows your name when you get there and is so supportive!
Cost for the IVF was $10,000 but between the first appointments and then medications we spent a total of about 18,000.
Greenville
Dr. Payne spent a lot of time when we first met explaining the different things that could cause infertility and the the different test we would do to rule out any causes. He also explained each procedure in great detail and always answered our questions. He is very compassionate and and accommodating to our specific needs.... He is very busy so book in advance and he will spend time explaining things so don’t be in a rush to leave.
Dr. Payne has always been very personable and accommodating to our specific needs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay )
The majority of the staff has been very friendly, caring and informative.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Very accommodating with schedules, friendly, informative. Appointment reminders were so helpful during the Ivf process those would have also been helpful during iui. Jackie in the lab is the absolute sweetest. Financial department is always very helpful when request costs etc.
I was Encouraged to do a single embryo transfer my first cycle, due to my age, weight and being first transfer. We elected to transfer two. Dr. Payne respected our decision but also reminded us our goal is one healthy baby at a time.
IUI, Donor Sperm
Even though I’m part of the LGBT community and a single parent, he [Dr. John Payne] treated me like any other patient.... I personally think that Dr. Payne has no weaknesses. I wasn’t educated at all when it came to infertility, and after one visit I got a clear understanding of everything. He told me what I should be expecting the next appointment. He also educated me on the medical history of the sperm donors.
Black or African-American, Native American
IUI, Donor Sperm
He’s a great Doc. You can open up to him about fertility questions.
Even though I’m part of the LGBT community and a single parent, he treated me like any other patient.
He didn’t prescribe any medication because I’m a healthy 20 y/o with no fertility issues.
They are kind and extremely helpful.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Same as the strengths of the doc. I mean everybody’s so kind and helpful. I didn’t wait that long to talk to the doc. I was late 30 minutes to my appointment and they still squeezed me in. The clinic’s atmosphere is so welcoming
My insurance does not cover any of my expenses so PREG prices for the ones that are like me are affordable. Costs goes down about $100-$300 more.
Columbia
Dr Payne really seemed to have an invested interest. At one appointment, he mentioned discussing our care as part of a conference call. It made me feel like he was actively planning our care, not just going through he motions.... We have unexplained infertility. He took us from the least invasive to most. Hoping small intervention would work.
Fertility is hard, no matter what!
Dr Payne is very personal able.
They were all pleasant and enjoyable to see.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Overall I enjoyed my visits. It’s one of the only clinics in the area. The staff were always friendly and would explain anything needed. It was a pleasant experience in an unconfortable situation. I would recommend them to others.
Cost was around $12000 for the eg lg retrieval and one ivf transfer. About $3600 for each transfer after, not including medication.
Based on our case he recommended single transfer.
Asheville
Dr. Payne spent a great deal of time with us to make sure we understood our care. Very easy to talk to, very caring and very knowledgeable....Dr. Payne was wonderful! I'll never be able to say thank you enough!! He gave us hope and guided us through the entire journey. He's one of the most down to earth compassionate doctors one could imagine...PREG is very warm, nurturing where patients feel supported and safe. You're never a number there. They know patients by name and truly care about helping patients get pregnant.
Dr. Payne was wonderful! I'll never be able to say thank you enough!! He gave us hope and guided us through the entire journey. He's one of the most down to earth compassionate doctors one could imagine. If you're having trouble getting pregnant, see Dr. Payne!
Ask questions and make sure you understand what to do.
Don't remember, sorry.
Stephanie was wonderful. She always returned my calls, answered my questions and supported me. I couldn't have done it without her.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Appointments were scheduled in the early morning hours so I could get to work.
Don't remember.
Dr. Payne recommended eSET because of the complications of multiples.
Greenville
Dr. Payne was always very detailed during each appointment and was good with finding different options to meet my needs. During each visit, we went over success rates, costs, and any other information that was needed.... Dr. Payne was filled with compassion and was very concerned and optimistic about achieving a healthy pregnancy... After blood work and exams I started with pills to regulate my cycle and ovulation and then moved on to injections with the use of IUIs
Stay optimistic and patient
Very optimistic and loves their job
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic overall has a great atmosphere. Everyone their is very knowledgeable and if they don’t know an answer, they will find it. They are very prompt and dedicated to the needs of their patients. Everyone loves their job and it shows
Didn’t have fertility insurance so somewhat expensive
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
He [Dr. John Payne] is kind and well prepared. He was very knowledgeable and understanding. Gave us realistic hope and encouragement. Was very honest. My husband and I felt comfortable at every visit. He explained everything in detail.... Do your research first, know what to expect. Make a list of questions. The staff is great. From the secretaries to the phlebotomist. It was the best decision of my life. I can't wait to go back to try for baby#3
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
He is kind and well prepared. He was very knowledgeable and understanding. Gave us realistic hope and encouragement. Was very honest. My husband and I felt comfortable at every visit. He explained everything in detail.
Trust him
He cared, was well prepared, even prayed for me
The staff was great. I wish they would have told me that if they have me the injection in the office there was going to be another charge.
8k procedure 5k meds
I am so thankful for his recommendation for a single transfer.
Greenville
[Dr. John Payne is a] Very nice physician. It seems as if he really cares about his patients. I wanted to transfer two embryos but Dr Payne would only transfer one (eset). I did get a positive pregnancy test but then miscarried at 5.5 weeks. I wish I had fought for the transfer of two.... Microdose Flare Protocol 18 eggs retrieved, 14 fertilized and 7 made it to 5 day blasts.
If you want a transfer of two embryos instead of one fight for that right.
The nursing staff is awesome! Very caring and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Overall the clinic is great. Very caring doctors and nursing staff.
Over $14k invested in one cycle of IVF
I think the right to choose should be left to the patient. I elected to have a transfer of 2 embryos but when transfer day came, I wasn't given the option and a single embryo was transferred.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
He spoke like he was talking to another educated physician. He didn't really speak to us with the intention that we may not know a lot of the terminology he was using... I felt he lacked in giving us advice on ways to help the IUI or IVF to succeed.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
I felt he lacked in giving us advice on ways to help the IUI or IVf to succeed. For example, taking certain vitamins or supplements.
As him all the questions you need and don't leave till you feel satisfied. You are the one paying for that appointment.
When Dr. Payne spoke to us. He spoke like he was talking to another educated physician. He didn't really speak to us with the intention that we may not know a lot of the terminology he was using. Because I have done a lot of research and reading........I didn't feel too lost. However, my husband did.
Greenville
Very welcoming and made me feel important and that he [Dr. John Payne] would do everything in his powder to help us have a family. He listened to me and made me feel as though I mattered. I would highly recommend PREG and their staff to anyone.... Easy to get someone on the phone [at PREG], easy to schedule appointments, billing department is easy to work with, nurses are always available to answer questions or will fall back as soon as they can. The lab techs are great and always very compassionate
Very welcoming and made me feel important and that he would do everything in his powder to help us have a family. He listened to me and made me feel as though I mattered. I would highly recommend PREG and their staff to anyone.
Ask questions. Don’t be afraid to question something if it doesn’t feel right.
I felt like I was important and not just a number
Femara, trigger shot, timed intercourse.
The nursing staff at PREG were wonderful and always made me feel special.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Easy to get someone on the phone, easy to schedule appointments, billing department is easy to work with, nurses are always available to answer questions or will fall back as soon as they can. The lab techs are great and always very compassionate.