Medical SchoolFurman
(864)-232-7734
1330 Boiling Springs Rd.
Spartanburg, SC 29303
(864)-583-2669
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend John Payne to a friend?

6.2

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group to a friend?
PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Payne explains the risks, next steps and is optimistic in a field that is sometimes hard for the patient to be optimistic.... We started out using letrozole 5mg for days 3-9 of the cycle with a scan on day 12 to check follicle size. The size of the follicles determined when we would do the trigger shot of ovidrel for timed intercourse. We tried this for two months before increasing my dose of letrozole to 7.5 mg. This resulted in a positive test that led to a chemical pregnancy with a few months. We had to wait for 2-3 months for my body to return to normal before we started the 7.5 mg of letrozole days 3-9, scan on day 12 and trigger of ovidrel. During the summer of 2018, we had to add the injections of gonal-f for days 8-11. I had follicles dissolve in May 2018, so the extra medicine was added for additional stimulation. We continued this course through the fall with timed intercourse. We attempted IUIs with that same medicines (letrozole 7.5 mg CD 3-9, gonal-f CD 8-11, scan on around CD 12 to determine trigger of ovidrel). We are currently taking a month off seeing how our next step would be IVF with frozen embryo transfer and that is much, much more expensive even with insurance.
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Payne explains the risks, next steps and is optimistic in a field that is sometimes hard for the patient to be optimistic. He shows compassion and builds real relationships with those who trust him for their care. I hate that we have to go through this infertility journey, but I am glad that we have the knowledge and skills of Dr. Payne and his colleagues.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Payne will do everything that he can to help you. He will try a "plan" three times before adjusting it to try something else.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Payne takes the time to explain the options and procedures to his patients. He is realistic and hopeful. Even when we went through a chemical pregnancy, he was optimistic and supportive.
Describe the protocols John Payne used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Meagan Vanzant and Kristina Housworth are who I've seen most often.)
Most of the nurses that I've spoken with or have been seen by have been excellent and very caring. Meagan Vanzant and Kristina Housworth are excellent nurses who are very caring and optimistic. They are great with patients and let them know the information from the scans. They have a wonderful "bedside manner". I have had one nurse, Lauren Smythe, who was not as helpful. She didn't share my information about the lining or follicle size. She questioned my knowledge as to how we normally did things and didn't believe me until she looked at my chart. I get that nurses can't always rely on what the patients say, but we had been going there for over a year by this point. I was very familiar with the normal routine of the scan and about when the trigger shot would be. I felt more like a number to Lauren than a person. Meghan Parris who assisted on two of the three IUIs was also extremely kind to us and treated us like humans. From the office staff to the lab and nursing staff, most of the workers make you feel better about these crazy processes that we have to go through.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They will do their best to encourage you to be hopeful. They want the procedures to succeed and your dreams of starting a family to come true. We have a hour and a half drive to get to the Greenville PREG location, but it is worth it because of the care and compassion that we receive.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We have insurance that helps cover some of the cost.
Describe John Payne's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Not applicable at this time.
Greenville

Dr Payne is always very thorough. He explains everything. If myself or husband ask a question, he explains it and is alwsys engaging. He lets us know what the next step is at the end of each visit. He is personable and down to earth... My husband and I are dealing with male infertility. I have had all testing and passed them all; bloodwork, hysterscope, ultrasound. I do ovulate, I have a regular cycle, my falopian tubes are open, uterus is normal, ovaries loom good and I have plenty of eggs. My husband has low sperm count and motility. He was put on Metformin and now he is on clomid to hopefully boost his count enough to do IVF
Latino, Black or African-American
Be prepared to have a comfortable experience. Going to a fertility doctor can be stressful and make you nervous. Dr. Payne is calming and genuinely nice. All of your fears will fly out of the window when you consult with Dr Payne. Very worth it!
Everyone in the office is so warm and down to earth.
My husband and I are dealing with male infertility. I have had all testing and passed them all; bloodwork, hysterscope, ultrasound. I do ovulate, I have a regular cycle, my falopian tubes are open, uterus is normal, ovaries loom good and I have plenty of eggs. My husband has low sperm count and motility. He was put on Metformin and now he is on clomid to hopefully boost his count enough to do IVF. (praying the our insurance will cover it) Dr Payne says we could be pregnant by Christmas!
I have yet to find one complaint about the nursing staff. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. They are like a family.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic overall is amazing. Everyone is friendly and welcoming. New patients will see they made the best decision after their first visit. They have encouraging words from other successful patients posted and that is very encouraging.
My copay is $85 The hysterscope was around $300 Bloodwork and ultrasound was around $290 Sperm Analysis was around $100
Greenville

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

I believe Dr. Payne's strongest strength is his ability to be completely honest. He told us about possible risks and different routes we can take without holding any information back. I look forward to continuing our fertility treatments with Dr. Payne and hopefully conceive a beautiful healthy baby within the next year.... The billing nurse stayed after hours with us to discuss the difference in cost between tubal reversal and simply IVF. We were told it's cheaper ($7,000 ) to get a tubal reversal, but it might not work due to unforeseen risks. Simply IVF is higher ($7,500), but more likely to work in our condition.
The advice I would give to a prospective patient of Dr. Payne is to be patient and try to have tough skin. He's not like normal doctors that perform different treatments on you to just get paid. Dr. Payne will be honest with you and let you know before you waste your time and money.
Dr. Payne talked to me like an actual person and broke down possible routes that we can take in order to conceive. He explained the process might be long and hard, but he'll try his best to make our dreams of having a baby reality.
I absolutely loved the nursing staff. While waiting in the lobby we were constantly asked if we needed anything to make us more comfortable such as a different selection of magazines or a bottle of water. They even apologized to us for the long wait after only waiting 15 minutes to see the doctor.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic I visited was very small with about 8 chairs and a table full of different magazines, but at the same time the office was very inviting and cozy. It made me feel confident about the process ahead.
Spartanburg

I felt that the dr [Dr. Payne] was concise and detailed in all dealings. Considerate and supportive when needed and looked after my best interests both personally and financially. I received all the appropriate information that I needed at each stage of this journey and felt like I was patiently listened to when I needed more answers or support.... With my severely diminished egg reserve, the best treatments were oral hormones, ultrasound and hormonal injections to encourage follicle development. We did one cycle "naturally" and then 6 cycles with IUI. None of these cycles resulted in a pregnancy and we are now looking at IVF.
I felt that the dr was concise and detailed in all dealings. Considerate and supportive when needed and looked after my best interests both personally and financially. I received all the appropriate information that I needed at each stage of this journey and felt like I was patiently listened to when I needed more answers or support.
Ask all the questions that you need. I think sometimes women don't feel like they can ask for what they need and it's so important to feel like you have a handle on all the different aspects of your fertility.
The doctor, nurses and the receptionists at the practice made a point to know me and be supportive during this whole experience.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Mikela)
All of the support staff are personable, welcoming, understanding and helpful.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Clean, convenient setting with lots of parking and easy accessibility. Good weekly hours but very short hours on Friday. Occasionally, I had to wait 30-45 minutes for a scheduled appointment because the clinic was understaffed. That was a little difficult with my work schedule but the nurses and dr were always very apologetic. I had a few issues over the weekend and had to call the answering service. The nurse on call got back to me promptly and, in the one instance that warranted it, got in touch with the dr on call immediately.
$35 for oral hormone $100 for Ovidrel shot $180 Ultrasound $475 IUI treatment I can't remember how much the bloodwork was for the lab $100 semen analysis

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr Payne was a great communicator and listener. He explained everything to the best of his knowledge and if he didn’t know he always found the answer out for me. He was very compassionate and caring. The only weakness I found was he was not sure prices and told me certain things were included that weren’t. So I was shocked when I learned about the additional cost in the end....I had to do a good bit of testing due to my many miscarriages and extopics. My husband had to have some tests done as well. I had to take three shots a day and several pills a day.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Some questions May be better answered by his nurses. He is very blunt and straight forward and some people may not like that. I did appreciate the honesty
Dr Payne was always professional and expressed sorrow for all the losses I had experienced and he also sympathized with me when my cycle failed
I had to do a good bit of testing due to my many miscarriages and extopics. My husband had to have some tests done as well. I had to take three shots a day and several pills a day. Everything I had to take did in fact work and produce great eggs. For some reason my body rejected it. I went in knowing the simple ivf was a 50/50 chance. Had I have known what I know now I would’ve paid the extra money and did a full cycle treatment
All of the staff were very friendly, compassionate and informative. They all greeted me with smiles and welcome greetings every visit. They were always pleasant and willing to help with whatever needs or questions.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The strengths are they take the time to specialize in you and your care and needs. They are all knowledgeable and gonout of their way to help you with the process. They are all very encouraging. Weakness I would just have to say would be that not all of the staff can answer certain questions and have to find someone that does know them. But I imagine that is every clinic
The simple IVF was $7500. My medicine was $2500. Labs were $500 and freezing the eggs was $900

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
He is just a thoughtful and thorough care giver. He is a very highly trained and informed expert in his field, and he covers all of the basis when helping me think out the options I have for my course of treatment and long term goals. He is so friendly and certainly considerate of the sensitivity of my current disease process if stage four endometriosis and of my immense desire to bring another beautiful baby into God’s world. I am so very thankful for his help.
To stay on top of the financial and insurance department that is in charge of preauthorizations in his office, if that is the financial situation that the prospective patient is coming from. Time sensitivity could definitely be improved with those administrative staff members.
Dr. Payne has spent an extent of time speaking with me about every single one of my questions and going over the full spectrum of details on the plans ahead for the big picture goals of preserving my eggs to avoid having them further compromised by my stage four endometriosis as well as by the treatments I need for that disease. He has taken all of my specific needs and desires in to account with each recommendation and decision making for this process. He is very friendly and he does not rush me at all throughout these inquisitive conversations I hold with him. I am so very thankful that I and my future children are in his hands!
We are still in the early stages of progress. We began with the base line scans for ultrasound folical count and lab drawings. Now we have moved on the recallibrating the ovulation scheduled via birth control method. Based on the number of follicles seen, the goal is to complete two cycles if financially possible so that I have enough to possibly freeze a combination of some eggs as well as some embryos, to get be enough chances of some of both remaining viable throughout the process. Once that is completed, we plan to treat me for endometriosis until my body is ready for a healthy pregnancy. I am so eager to experience an intimate pregnancy, carrying my child in me, and the joy of nursing and nurturing my little infant. God knows my heart and desires for this, and all of Dr. Payne’s methods and plans have been circled around this.
They are so sweet, friendly, understanding, and informative!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are so great at what they do and turkey compassionate. The physicians and clinical staff are amazing. I have however interacted with brighter, more sincere front office administrative staff in my past for scheduling needs and check-ins. And while their financial/insurance department is full of super sweet and friendly folks there, I have found that it is very easy for their efforts in preauthorization and financial quotes to get quickly out of sink with the plan of the cycle treatment and throw a speed bump in to the process. Time sensitivity, as far as completing the process in June and July rather than waiting until September, for example would greatly help their patient experience overall for those who don’t walk in as a wealthy married couple prepared to pay everything on the spot. I am a single mom doing the best I can through my treatment needs for endometriosis and I am exhausting my efforts to have my eggs preserved so that I will have another baby when my body is ready. It’s a shame that something’s would have to be postponed to administrative details rather than justified clinical details. I would recommend new patients to stay on top of the info and process instead of ever letting it go the first 2 months assuming they’re getting the ball rolling on their end only to find out they’re not.
I am still in the process of receiving accurate price quote information after 3 months
Those will be items we get to towards the last stages of the process and I look forward to learning more details about the methods when we are crossing the bridge. I haven’t sought that info yet as we are still starting all of this.
Greenville

Dr. Payne is a great doctor. He is detailed in his explanations and what our options are moving forward. He is honest with the results of treatments and tests, and alters treatment as needed after discussing with me. I am always treated with respect and patience, knowing that my treatment and success is important to Dr. Payne.
Ask any and all questions you may have. Don't be afraid to be open and honest with him. He will take the time to make sure he understands your goals and wishes and create a treatment plan that works for you. He is very honest and straightforward in a respectful way, which i appreciate. We have had no false expectations of the treatment plan, and always know the risks.
The entire staff at PREG has been wonderful. Dr. Payne gave us his undivided attention from the initial consultation through all the troubling cycles. We never felt rushed or ignored, and he always made time to discuss our feelings and options along the way. The nurses and office staff were respectful and encouraging at all times.
I was diagnosed with PCOS and went through several cycles being treated with Metformin and Clomid with no ovulation before coming to Dr. Payne. Dr. Payne ran a full panel of blood work, ultrasound and egg reserve count, and Hysterosalpingogram after our initial consultation. I started a cycle continuing with Metformin and adding Letrozole with follicle scans to monitor possible ovulation. With no success, Estridol was added to the cycles and the Letrozole dosage was increased along with continued follicle scans and blood tests for ovulation. Ovidrel shots were added once there was a large enough dominant follicle confirmed, and ovulation was successful during 2 cycles, but neither resulted in pregnancy. FSH and LH shots were added to several cycles in combination with all other medications and Ovidrel shot. Ovulation was successful one time, with no pregnancy. The doses were increased with each round, but my ovaries actually became less responsive with the last 2 cycles of increased dosages. Dr. Payne discussed these results openly and honestly with me, and together we made the decision to take a brief break from treatments to let my body rest and focus on health through nutrition and exercise. He was open and honest with expectations and his guidance for timelines.
The nursing staff is consistently compassionate and communicative.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic has a great staff and team of doctors. There has always been excellent communication regarding treatments and appointments with the nursing staff. The doctors are caring and committed to your success. The only recommendations i would have would be updating the office interior to be a bit more welcoming and comfortable.
Costs were billed to my insurance company, and any remaining balances were billed to me directly. Staff made all efforts to ensure treatments were as effective and affordable as possible.
not applicable to my experience

Endometriosis, Male Factor
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Dr. Payne is very knowledgeable on every treatment possible. He explains every single detail to you, and even gives handouts explaining what he is saying. He always makes sure you're comfortable, and knows exactly what the next step is. If you have any concern he addresses it, and comes up with a solution. He is never pushy, and understands this is a hard area of expertise. I am SO glad I found Dr. Payne. I am currently taking a break from treatments, but I will always recommend him to others, and will get back to treatments with him when the time is right.
Never doubt what he says. He is very trustworthy. He was made for this job.
The staff is very helpful. They always know how to help, and make you feel right at home. They are absolutely the type of people I would like to see at this kind of facility. They are always smiling, and full of joy. That's what you want to see when you are struggling with infertility. They take the best care of you no matter the condition. They never judge, and are always so sweet.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff as a whole are GREAT! They are always there for advise. They make you feel comfortable about being there, and never stressed. They are there for support. I am still going through treatments, but have not found anything they are not good at. They tell you upfront about payment, and make sure you are okay with the treatment plan. They are not pushy to get you to do things, and understand if it's time for a break.
Greenville

During my stimulation portion, my progesterone level got a little to high to do the invocell, fresh transfer approach. He [Dr. John Payne] instead chose to do the fertilization in the lab, they would be monitored there and after 5 days we would see what had made it to blastocyst. Unfortunately in my case none of my fertilized eggs did make it to blast. So the cycle was canceled
Dr Payne, in my opinion has a great understanding of the way infertility makes a women feel and even when the outcome was not what I had wanted, and I was devastated was able to point out some positive resolutions, and make me feel at ease. He was very concerned about my feelings, and finding ways to try to make a devestating outcome bearable.
Be sure you ask about every possible outcome, and what you can do to better your success
Very sympathetic, listened to a my concerns, gave good fair options
I chose to do a simply ivf cycle, it was a good option given my testing. During my stimulation portion, my progesterone level got a little to high to do the invocell, fresh transfer approach. He instead chose to do the fertilization in the lab, they would be monitored there and after 5 days we would see what had made it to blastocyst. Unfortunately in my case none of my fertilized eggs did make it to blast. So the cycle was canceled
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Biggerstaff)
The nurse staff at the Spartanburg office is very compassionate, I felt like they all were invested in my case
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Great compassionate atmosphere, felt very welcomed from first appointment The only negative is that the wait times can sometimes be long I would say a new patient should come prepared, they give you a lot of information, be proactive in calling ahead to determine insurance coverage. Ask questions all of the staff are happy to answer any question no matter how insignificant it may seem. Voice what your concerns are.
For my invocell cycle the cost was -6,500 My testing was about 1,000 My husbands testing about -$800 Nurse visits around -$500 Medication-2,200
Dr. Payne feels it is better for the women, and baby to do a eset

2012 - 2018
Dr. Payne has been great. We have our sweet daughter because of him and we are so thankful for everything he’s done for us! I have sent many friends to him because we trust him. This year has been very rough with multiple loses and dissapointments. He is constantly trying to find new ways to help us carry another baby!... We first tried two rounds of IUI. Those didn’t work so we went to IVF due to male factor infertility. Our first fresh cycle was a success!
2012 - 2018
Make sure you see the Dr and not just a nurse.
I feel that doctor Payne cares about me and my husbands care. He has always been kind and gentle no matter what we are going through. We’ve had some very sad news this year and he still has hope for us!
We first tried two rounds of IUI. Those didn’t work so we went to IVF due to male factor infertility. Our first fresh cycle was a success! The first frozen cycle was negative; the second resulted in an early miscarriage; the third resulted in a chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsey (ivf coordinator))
Lindsey can be very sweet. Sometimes I honestly don’t get the warm feeling I would prefer from someone when I am going through such care. Fertility complications are so hard and mentally exhausting. Compassion is so important! Sometimes I don’t feel she is confident on explaining what my test results are and what certain labs can mean.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Preg really is a great place! We love dr Payne and dr Nichols. We also love Stephanie in the financial office. We love miss Jackie! We miss Monte Ann very much! I do feel like the staff knows us very well.
Our insurance does not cover anything. Our IUI cycles cost about $1500. Our ivf cycle cost about $18,000. The last 3 frozen transfers have been over $11,000. This has all been paid out of pocket.

2013 - 2018
Anovulation, Unexplained
Dr. Payne was so helpful with our process to become pregnant. Even when things didn't go as planned, he was very optimistic in encouraging us to keep going with our treatment. At every IUI and every appointment really, he was so good at making us feel comfortable. My husband is very leery when it come to medical stuff, so it was important to me that Dr. Payne made us both feel comfortable.... it was determined that I had Type 2 Diabetes. I had to take a break from fertility treatments for a couple of year and get that under control.
2013 - 2018
Anovulation, Unexplained
Just be patient and let him do whatever he thinks is best for you and your situation. I know it will be hard to go thru the "preliminary" tests, but its all in the best interest of you and your future family!
Dr. Payne really seemed interested in providing my husband and I with all of the tools and knowledge needed to become pregnant.
We started out with Dr. Payne with our first cycle a few years ago. At that time, it was determined that I had Type 2 Diabetes. I had to take a break from fertility treatments for a couple of year and get that under control. After that, we went back and did planned intercourse with 50 mg of Chlomid to start off with. After an unsuccessful three months, we then moved onto three IUI's. After those were also unsuccessful, we ended up at IVF, which was successful on the first try!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay P.)
All of the nurses at PREG are wonderful. Also, the financial counselors and blood work ladies are very knowledgeable and helpful.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG is a very welcoming fertility center. You leave knowing what your next appointment will be like, what you next steps are, and even knowing the cost of associated procedures. The only bad thing is that the clinic is so busy that sometimes you end up waiting longer than expected.
My total cost for fertility treatments was around $12000.00 The financial department was really good about listing what the cost of your procedures would be.
Greenville

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Payne took the time to explain all the issues I have with my tubes and low ovarian reserve to both my husband and myself. He explained how we had other options and that we could choose which ever option was best for us. He always clearly stated that he was trying to help us save as much money as we could and that would continue to help us through this whole decision making process.... I must loose at least 15 pounds, and Dr. Payne says that I will need to receive an egg donor's egg. I will need to have my tubes removed first since they are blocked and enlarged. Right now I am on a pill to regulate my periods and hormones until I get my surgery done.
Dr. Payne was very kind, he explained everything that was wrong with care. He made us feel like he understood our pain and wanted to help us and not just steal our money. I was very comfortable in his office and I didn't feel rushed or played along. I feel that God sent me to Dr. Payne for a reason.
Trust what he says. And if there is something you don't understand just ask. He is so kind that he will explain everything.
Dr. Payne took the time to explain all the issues I have with my tubes and low ovarian reserve to both my husband and myself. He explained how we had other options and that we could choose which ever option was best for us. He always clearly stated that he was trying to help us save as much money as we could and that would continue to help us through this whole decision making process. He was very kind and very respectful through the consultation.
I have only had a couple of visits to the office so far. I am just starting my journey with Dr. Payne and his staff at Preg.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They have tried to explain everything as we go. They are very quick to schedule appointments. They have been very kind the last three visits and have been very helpful when I have had questions and had to call more than a handful of times. When you have suffered for 12 years not being able to get pregnant the last thing you want is a doctor or the staff to be dis-caring or rude. This is my first fertility doctor that I have actually seen and I am so glad that God lead me in the direction of Dr. Payne. Again I am just starting my journey with this clinic.
For a egg donor's 6 eggs the cost is $12,000 and $1,000 to $1,500 for meds.
Columbia

Throughout the initial consultation, Dr. Payne barely made eye contact. He blamed that on having to type information into the computer. He spoke so fast that we could barely keep up with what he was saying. A couple of weeks later I received a bill for our initial consult visit and it was around $350 and that did not include the $250 we paid in the office that day for a semen analyis and blood work.... We only have completely one cycle of femara, ovidrel, TI. This was per John Paynes recommendation after the loss of our pregnancy in the fall. I only received information through a nurse or through the receptionist and very often if I had questions, I was sent to a voicemail.
It was a horrible experience to say the least. We became pregnant naturally on a cycle not being treated, ended up having to terminate due to trisomy diagnosis and when we came back to the clinic there was not one mention or question about it. Back to "the plan" of fertility meds and appointment dates. I could not have felt more " investable" if I tried.
Get a second opinion or find a Doctor that truly can hear your story and help you down the right path.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths - They are one of maybe 2-3 fertility clinics in the area so they have access to so many patients and have the opportunity to make a difference in these peoples lives. Weaknesses - They run the clinic like a business and the human factor has been lost. I didn't even feel like a patient. Truly disappointing. Do not go to PREG!
I still look through our bill records from PREG and some I cannot answer what we paid for. Thats a horrible feeling.
Greenville

With each IVF cycle [with Dr. John Payne], I began birth control to keep my ovaries from ovulating. When doing the egg retrieval, I did daily Lipton injection (again to suppress ovulation) and Gonal-F to mature my follicles. Once the eggs were mature, an HCG trigger shot was given the night prior to my egg retrieval to induce ovulation. I then began wearing estrogen patches and receiving preogesterone injections. My husband’s sperm was collected and my eggs were retrieved. Through ICSI, we had a total of 5, 5 day embryos.
Having gone through prior fertility consultations with unpleasant doctors, my expectations of my initial visit with Dr. Payne were extremely low. I had such a hesitation about meeting him and listening to his plan. I vividly remember walking into his office stone faced as if that would help protect me from the cold natured doctor’s I had seen in the past. I was a broken, infertile woman and didn’t know that in just an hour, my perception of fertility treatments would be changed forever. As we talked about my case and IVF being our only option to conceive, I asked him if he thought it would work for us. I’ll never forget the optimist sound in his voice when he told me he absolutely thought we had a great chance of getting pregnant through IVF. Right there sitting in his office, the wall came down and so did the tears. Dr. Payne had just given my husband and me hope! It was something that I’d lost in the 4 years of trying to conceive. My struggle didn’t end that. I went on to miscarry twins and have a negative frozen embryo transfer, but Dr. Payne has been by our side throughout the entire process. He unexpectedly called me at home to see how I was handling the news that I was going to miscarry and if I had any questions because he had not been in the office that day and wanted to check on me. . He went above and beyond, but that is the kind of doctor he is. He will always be special to our family because he helped us have our son. We’ve since tranfered more embryos and have been unsuccessful in getting pregnant again. We are out of frozen embryos and will need to do another egg retrieval to start again. Dr. Payne has yet again reached out to see how we’re doing and if we’re ready to start the process again. I could go on and on, but I’ll stop by saying I’ve referred several of my closest friends to Dr. Payne, and I think that speaks volumes as to how much I value him as my doctor.
Don’t hesitate in scheduling an appointment with him. He has your best in mind and will work tirelessly to help you reach your goal.
Dr. Payne was very open and honest about our treatment plan. I always had a lot of questions and he was very patient in answering each one of them. He made us feel as though he truly cared about our desire to have children.
With each IVF cycle, I began birth control to keep my ovaries from ovulating. When doing the egg retrieval, I did daily Lipton injection (again to suppress ovulation) and Gonal-F to mature my follicles. Once the eggs were mature, an HCG trigger shot was given the night prior to my egg retrieval to induce ovulation. I then began wearing estrogen patches and receiving preogesterone injections. My husband’s sperm was collected and my eggs were retrieved. Through ICSI, we had a total of 5, 5 day embryos. I took a 10 antibiotic, baby aspirin and prednisone leading up to the transfer. One fresh embryo was transferred and split, but I miscarried the twins. Several months later, I began prepping for our frozen embryos transfer. It began with birth control, Lupron and progesterone injections as well as estrogen patches. I also took the 10 day antibiotic, baby aspirin and prednisone leading up to the transfer. We became pregnant and the progesterone injections and estrogen patches continued until about 10 weeks pregnant. Our last and most recent transfer was a little different. I took birth control, estrogen tablets both orally and vaginally and progesterone injections. The antibiotic, baby aspirin and prednisone protocol remained the same.
I found the majority of the nurses to be kind and compassionate as to what we were going through. They would call of by name in hallways and always seemed to know what we were in the office for on that particular day. There were a couple that seemed robotic in their job, but not anything I found to be offensive. As a whole, the staff treated us like family.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I think the clinic stays on top of each case and are always quick to answer any and all questions you have. They treat you with respect and are sensitive to the nature of why you’re receiving fertility treatments. They do have multiple offices in various locations. I found it confusing when calling my office and reaching another location, only to be transferred back to my office. That situation complicated instances of calling nurses who’d left messages for me to call. It’s a minor complaint, but I always warn people I’ve referred to how their phone system operates. I’d prefer to call my location and talk to someone there.
The first egg retrieval and fresh transfer were approximately $12,000 (excluding medication costs). The second transfer with frozen embryo was approximately $3,000 and the most recent frozen transfer was about $3,300.
If the embryo looks good or great, Dr. Payne highly recommends transferring a single embryo. He tries to avoid multiples at all costs. However, my husband and I transferred two embryos for two of our transfers. Dr. Payne respected our decision and supported us.
Greenville

Dr Payne answered all of our questions and gave us a couple of different options for trying to conceive. He was very open about our diagnosis and told us that we had options instead of pushing us to do the most aggressive treatment. He gave us his time and never made us feel rushed. He talked with us for almost an hour and made sure we had all or our questions answered...was very kind, informative and compassionate from the moment we stepped into his office.
Dr Payne was very kind, informative and compassionate from the moment we stepped into his office. He answered all of our questions and gave us different options. We never once felt forced into any treatment or to take the most aggressive route. We felt that the treatment course was thoroughly explained with pros and cons. He made us feel welcome and we were treated like patients with kindness and compassion.
Call PREG today and set up your consult with Dr Payne! You won't be disappointed.
From the first moment we walked in the door we were treated with kindness and understanding. Dr Payne answered all of our questions and gave us a couple of different options for trying to conceive. He was very open about our diagnosis and told us that we had options instead of pushing us to do the most aggressive treatment. He gave us his time and never made us feel rushed. He talked with us for almost an hour and made sure we had all or our questions answered.
We did 2 cycles of IUI with femara and ovidrel to trigger. We also did 1 IVF cycle with BC pills prior and lupron and gonal f and ICSI. I have good ovarian reserve which and the reasoning for injections chosen and ICSI was chosen for our male factor diagnosis.
The nurses and our coordinator were so nice and compassionate. They were with us every step of the process and although our transfer didn't result in a pregnancy they did call to check on us and see how we were doing after the negative pregnancy test. They all made us feel so welcome and cared for. They greeted us with a smile and kind words at every visit.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
This clinic is amazing. The staff is so kind and welcoming. We walked into our appointment feeling like we had known this people our whole life. They greeted us with smiles and answered all or ourquestions. All of them always showed compassion and were right there with us along the journey. They got excited with us at appointments and showed so much compassion and understanding in the hard times. I can't say enough good things about this clinic. I feel like a patient and have always been treated so well.
IUI was $450-$500 Visits covered by insurance IVF was $7,000 w/o meds Monitoring ultrasounds covered by insurance
I have a history of multiples and complications with that pregnancy so Dr Payne's choice for a single transfer was discussed and agreed upon.
Greenville

Dr. Payne is very knowledgeable and knows exactly what he is talking about. He does a great job at adjusting your plan when complications arise ... He wanted to start off small. With unexplained fertility it could just be that I need an extra boost rather than go immediately to IVF which is costly. After 3 cycles of meds we tried meds with IUI two times. ... He is quick to get you in and out of the appt.
Dr. Payne is very knowledgeable and knows exactly what he is talking about. He does a great job at adjusting your plan when complications arise. He is quick to get you in and out of the appt. Dr. is honest about diagnosis and is very transparent on what next steps should be. I was thankful that he was so honest with my and my age and statistics. I would rather have that than waste time trying without treatment.
Write down all of your questions and make sure to ask them all at your visit. Do not leave without asking what you needed to ask. There are no stupid questions.
Dr. Payne seemed to genuinely care for his patients.
Dr. Payne started out giving me clomid and Fermara as treatement first with a trigger shot at time of ovulation. This was to see if I just needed a little help in the beginning. He wanted to start off small. With unexplained fertility it could just be that I need an extra boost rather than go immediately to IVF which is costly. After 3 cycles of meds we tried meds with IUI two times. This was the best next step because everything was working properly then maybe helping get the sperm closer would help. This was still a viable option that could be successful that wasn't as costly as IVF.
I spent more time with the nurses having to come in and run tests and get blood drawn. They were always pleasant and made a sensitive situation easier to handle. The whole staff was really nice and patient. They were also responsive with my questions.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Great clinic and staff. Easy to get to and having the convenience of going to Greenville or Spartanburg helped since my husband worked in Spartanburg and I worked in Greenville. Both clinics were clean and had a pleasant environment.
The costs to find out if we had fertility issues was covered by my insurance, but the costs for treatment was paid out of pocket 100%
2014 - 2018
2014 - 2018
European, Black or African-American
Dr. Payne was very straight forward and honest about the difficulties involving PCOS. He explained that my ovaries had a surplus of immature follicles that needed hormones to function correctly. The problem with IVF and PCOS is that the ovaries can become over stimulated much easier. Dr. Payne kept a close eye on me with multiple ultrasounds and labwork to make sure that my ovaries stayed healthy. After I had multiple follicles measuring greater than 19mm we planned the retrieval. Dr. McCoy did the retrieval and removed a polyp. I was able to do a fresh a fresh transfer with one embryo. It was successful!!!! I now have a healthy and beautiful 10mo baby girl.
Don't get discouraged with the financial aspect, it will all work out! Be patient with your body and the doctors. The doctors have your best interest in mind and want you to succeed and have a family.
I never felt like a number with Dr. Payne. He always looked me in the eye and told me the honest truth about my probability of having a live birth. I was completely satisfied with the care he gave my husband and me.
Stephanie was ALWAYS caring and took time to answer my questions. I felt very comfortable with her during vaginal ultrasounds and labwork. She was my cheerleader and a good listener. It truly was Stephanie's attitude and care that gave me the courage to keep trying. When I took a break she would always ask me if i was ok and come in and try again. I know a sceptic would say that is her job to get people in for treatment....but it felt different with her.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Most of the financial help is given to people needing donated eggs and sperm, and not when you are trying to use your own. The availability to get an appointment is very reasonable. The clinical personel is good but the nursing staff is the highlight of the PREG organization. I also love Faith Ripley she works in the Greenville office and is one of the nicest people I have ever met. She is the chief financial officer and helped me to understand the basic principles of making this dream a reality. There is so much reproductive jargon it will make your head spin. Faith is a good person and great advocate for families struggling with infertility.
We had to pay 7500 up front before treatment could begin. Then my insurance paid for a portion of thg e procedures and ultrasounds. I had to pay out of pocket for all of the injections and medication needed for the IVF process. We did not qualify for financial help due to our combined income. We also had to pay 400 for a cryo storage fee. I thought this was very expensive just to store our embryos. Im not sure how they figure that cost...I would still like to be educated on that process.
I did have an emotional discussion with Dr. McCoy about a multiple embryo transfer. He was totally against the idea. He said he would never put more than one embryo in a patient with my background. I have high bloodpressure and on meds for diabetes. He said that a single healthy pregnancy is what I needed. The i had very good quality embryos and that a multiple baby pregnancy was not good for me. I cried and thought that only using one embryo was a waste of time. I was wrong! The embryo attached and grew and became a healthy baby. You must have a good bit of Faith to get through the process.
Spartanburg

[Dr. John Payne is] Very friendly and will give you mals much info as you want. Initial explanations are pretty basic but if you ask a question he’Lil get out all his diagrams and go over everything with you. Very patient and kind if you ask questions; doesn’t treat you like your stupid or wasting his time... We did 3 cycles of femera, ovidrel shot, and timed intercourse. All three ended in negative pregnancy tests. Moved on to femera and shot with IUI. First one was performed by a nurse and ended in a BFN. Just completed our 2nd IUI with the same protocol and Dr. Payne did this one. Waiting to see how this one turns out!
Ask questions if you’re unsure or confused about something. He will answer it and not make you feel bad.
Everyone calls you by your first name and if you’ve worked with people multiple times (receptionist, some of the nurses, etc) they talk to you without asking your name multiple times.
Very frendly and knowledgeable but there were times when I went in for my CD13 ultrasound and they did not know what protocol I was on (timed intercourse vs IUI) once I corrected them they were very apologetic and helped me through the next steps but be sure you know what your plan is that Dr. Payne laid it for you. Some of the nurses are not very good at giving all the details you might need, they assume you know what you’re doing. But on the other hand they have other nurses that are awesome and go over everything that you need to do next. It’s just hit or miss. If you have a nurse who doesn’t explain don’t be afraid to ask for more details they’ll gladly answer if you ask.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Awesome over all! Very warm and welcoming environment. Very friendly staff and nice clean facilities. Sometimes communication on what you need to do is lacking but just ask and they will gladly help you the best they can.
We had some insurance coverage so after we met our deuctable (which was after the first timed cycle) everything was relatively inexpensive. If we have to move on to IVF it will be about 6-9k depending on what insurance will pick up.
Greenville

I only saw him [Dr. John Payne] one time and had several treatments. I saw a nurse practitioner most of the time.... IUI one time, then they stated that hindsight is 20/20 that they probably wouldn’t have had us doing IUI if they would have noticed my husband sperm count going down. We felt like the treatment and money was slightly wasted because they said they shouldn’t have been doing the treatments.
I only saw a nurse tenentire the me, the first time I saw the doctor it was the last time we did treatment with IUI. No one told us the cost, thy put my husband on clomid and haven’t gotten back to us at all and it has been since June and it is now end of September. We haven’t heard anything and have recently felt like the doctors and the offices have forgotten about us. We have almost given up on the process because we don’t have any feedback or direction when we sought it out.
Expect to see the nurse before you see the doctor. Keep an open mind
I only saw him one time and had several treatments. I saw a nurse practitioner most of the time
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Nurse practitioner )
Decent
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Great front desk, great rep for blood taken, comfortable, but felt recently that we have been forgotten. Strengths are friendly, knowledgable. Weakness are that the office overlooked important information regarding my husband then later shared with both of us that they probably wouldn’t have been doing IUI if they would have reviews the sperm counts each cycle more closely because he was decreasing. Without insurance it was 12,000 out of pocket, halfway through treatments we got insurance and the price changed. So when my insurance was 70/30 I thought we would be able to afford that, but the price went up for those insured and that to me in price gouging which made it impossible for us to follow through with any recommmedation it IVF because we still needed 10,000 for everything, and it was not reasonable for us to do that when the insurance was supposed to cover 70% of cost. It was deceiving slightly and I don’t want to think that because of how comfortable you guys have made me feel overall, up until that point. Then, after you placed my husband on clomid, ordered more test, you have not gotten back to us on what to do next. That was a little disturbing.
They informed me that they would use a code that would allow my insurance to take care of it, we have paid a lot out of pocket, but we have got a bill for over 1000$ when we were told our insurance would cover. I called several times got 2 people, then several times left message and did not get any response.
Greenville
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
He [Dr. Payne] read all my files from Germany. He tried to understand all the treatments I did and asked a lot of question. ... He explained me some of my testing from home (Germany) that I run out off eggs. ... He told me about the risk doing it with my own eggs again and ... we will discuss other opportunities later. ... He also told with the history of misscarieges and the test I have that we should check the embryos to make sure it is healthy to avoid more miscarriages and the emotional pain that comes with it. ...
He explained me some of my testing from home (Germany) that I run out off eggs. I was so shocked, because the clinic in Germany told me 3 years ago everything is fine. He told me about the risk doing it with my own eggs again and because wanted to give it a lost shot he told me that we will discuss other opportunities later. First we concentrate on that. He also told with the history of misscarieges and the test I have that we should check the embryos to make sure it is healthy to avoid more miscarriages and the emotional pain that comes with it. I am really disappointed in the German health system and really glad we get a chance here in the USA.
Don’t hesitate to ask you questions, he will answer each one of them. Hewont leave you hanging
He read all my files from Germany. He tried to understand all the treatments I did and asked a lot of question. He also did all the Hormon work, nobody ever bothered to do in Germany. Such a nice person. We are just starting our first round with him now.
Haven’t done a protocol jet. Starting soon.
I love them. So nice. My husband almost passed out giving blood and they came and gave him juice and put an ice pack in his neck. What can I say, just lovely ladies.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I have t seen the surgical area where they do the procedures. But the rest is really nice. Nothing to complaint about. You get an appointment really fast, they help you with the insurance and check everything you need. So that was great. Also about calling you back on your blood work etc. really good and they explained everything and you always could call back if you still had questions.
Can’t say jet. Starting circle in April.

2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Payne met with us to discuss options for IVF. It was a difficult conversation and his caring nature made it so much easier. He explained options clearly and answered all our questions. During our treatment he was kind and could make me smile and laugh during stressful moments. After my miscarriage he was so empathetic and caring. He is a wonderful doctor who truly cares about his patients.
2 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Write down any questions you have so you can remember them in the appointments
He is very warm and caring - wonderful bedside manner. He explained everything clearly and talked to me with concern and caring.
We used a donor so there was a great deal of information given to us regarding what steps the donor was undergoing for egg retrieval. Our first try was a fresh transfer. Dr. Payne explained this was best to begin with. He explained statistics and our protocol in detail verbally and in writing. We used birth control, Lupron, estrogen and progesterone. We agreed to transfer one embryo. I was pregnant for almost 11 weeks. After my miscarriage Dr. Payne was so compassionate and encouraging that I was able to carry a baby. He did not push us to try again. When we were ready we tried again and it was a frozen transfer. Single embryo again. We did not use Lupron and progesterone was given by suppository- no injections. We now have a beautiful healthy baby boy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsey )
Lindsey was our donor egg coordinator. She was amazing. So compassionate and a wonderful communicator with us. She never made me feel like I was driving her crazy with my zillion questions. She explained everything in detail and shared in our emotional ups and downs. She was so helpful too as we chose our donor.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The downside was that we had to drive to Greenville from N.C. for the transfer and the embryo creation. The clinic is wonderful and the staff are caring and supportive. From business office to nurses to doctors they are great. We did not have a great experience with our initial doctor but he has since retired.
Until our last transfer we did not have insurance coverage so it was all out of pocket. They gave us a discount which we appreciated and helped us find most affordable meds possible. We spent $30000 so far.
I am petite so we all agreed it was best for my health to transfer one. He did offer us information on stats of single vs multiple and we were allowed to choose
Greenville

Dr. Payne and the nursing staff were very sensitive to my needs and we're always there for me when I had questions. They are like family...My experiences with Dr Payne were always pleasant. He treated me like a human and always made me feel like there was hope for me and my fiance to conceive. I trusted him completely and never doubted anything from him. If I had any questions or didn't understand something he gladly explained it in a way that I would understand. Dr Payne gave me a second chance and for that I will always be grateful.
You won't see him much but him and the nursing staff know what they are doing. Just be patient and trust in them
During my IVF cycle I responded so well to the medicine that they had to keep lowering my dosage. I ended up getting ovarian hyperstimulation but that is probably due to it being my 2nd egg retreival. The doctor made the call on to freeze my embyos and to wait till the next cycle for the transfer. And I'm so glad he did. Not only did he save me money but he allowed for my body to heal some before transferring the embryos. I feel like if he hadn't done that then I would've had a failed transfer
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stehpanie Biggerstaff)
All the nurses at Preg were amazing. They showed compassion toward you and your needs. They are like family and I will still stop by from time to time to show them my boys and to thank them for helping make us a family
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is amazing. Everyone is so nice and the clinic is clean and pretty. Just be patient with them. You think you can go in and just get started on your cycle but everything takes time. They go over everything and make sure you understand all the fees and costs before you start
Meds were around 3-$4000. Egg retrieval and transfer was around $10000 and ultrasounds and extras were probably around $500
My doctor did care about how many was transferred. He let us transfer 2 though because we had already had a failed invocell
Spartanburg

He [Dr. Payne] was honest that he felt my weight was a factor since nothing else seemed to be wrong. Instead of being in it for the money, he suggested I take some time off to work on my weight and try again... took time to explain everything from the very beginning as far as how everything would work and what my chances were to get pregnant with the cycles. He was very positive, and he even seemed surprised that I was not successful after going through my labs. He explained those as well. I really have no complaints about Dr. Payne. During the IUI, he was as gentle as he could be even though I have high tubes and it was not a pleasant experience for me. I do wish he could have been present for all of the visits when they would check for follicles. They were hard to find on my right side.
Dr. Payne took time to explain everything from the very beginning as far as how everything would work and what my chances were to get pregnant with the cycles. He was very positive, and he even seemed surprised that I was not successful after going through my labs. He explained those as well. I really have no complaints about Dr. Payne. During the IUI, he was as gentle as he could be even though I have high tubes and it was not a pleasant experience for me. I do wish he could have been present for all of the visits when they would check for follicles. They were hard to find on my right side.
You will be looked after, but even though he is a good doctor, you may not get the results you want. It's not his fault. He does everything he can.
Dr. Payne was very caring and nurturing and he explained everything in a caring way. He always smiled and seemed to really care if we were successful. After several treatments that we thought would work, we did and IUI and it also did not work. He was honest that he felt my weight was a factor since nothing else seemed to be wrong. Instead of being in it for the money, he suggested I take some time off to work on my weight and try again. I have lost 17 lbs and still trying.
Dr. Payne began by prescribing Clomid at the lowest dosage and moved up after a not so good ovulation cycle. Once he found the right dosage, we were told to do timed intercourse. He explained when to take the shots and I had follicle scans to insure I had enough follicles but not to many to have a safe attempt. After several cycles of Clomid, we changed to Letrazole and got great follicles and did the same timed intercourse. After three attempts with that, we went for an IUI. It was not successful. At that point, our funds were depleting, and he suggested trying to get some weigh off before trying again.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
I absolutely adore Stephanie (Biggerstaff I think her last name is). She would talk to me on the phone as long as I needed when I was upset over unsuccessful attempts, and she worked very hard during my follicle scans. My ovaries are hard to find, and there were times she would be sweating, worn out from trying to get a good look. She is a precious person!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is wonderful, and I actually miss just seeing the people there since I've been taking a break to lose weight. I don't have fertility insurance, so my only problem is the cost or I would have done an IVF already. New patients will love them!
The consulation (I can't remember) I think it was about $975 for all of the work-up and tests. The shots were about $99 I think each month plus the cost of pills $25. The IUI was about $475. The follicle scans each month were between $100-200.
Spartanburg

I was very appreciative of how compassionate and sensitive he [Dr. John Payne] was during my visit for this procedure...never made me rushed or intimidated to ask a question...was very personable and made you feel comfortable to be around. He took his time to explain various procedures and what our chances of conception would be. He was overall very caring and considerate of our feelings.
When I had my HCG procedure done, Dr.Payne was more than ready to address any concerns I had. He was very careful and gentle throughout the procedure. He explained every step he made. Afterwards, Dr.Payne helped me understand that I had no tubal blockage and carefully assured me that I could conceive. I was very appreciative of how compassionate and sensitive he was during my visit for this procedure.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions if there is something medically you don’t understand or comprehend. Dr. Payne never made me rushed or intimidated to ask a question.
Dr.Payne was very personable and made you feel comfortable to be around. He took his time to explain various procedures and what our chances of conception would be. He was overall very caring and considerate of our feelings.
I don’t recall any at this time.
I liked how the nurses at the clinic in Spartanburg were always organized and ready to assist you. They made you feel very comfortable and were also friendly when talking with them. They helped me understand certain things that I had questions about as well.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic’s strengths would be their organization, friendliness, concern, time management, thoroughness, and communication. I don’t have much to say about weaknesses. I don’t recall feeling negative about anything during my visits. I’d recommend new patients to this clinic for sure.
Overall, my husband and I probably spent close to $400 for our tests and procedures (which included a 2 semen analysis, blood tests, and a HCG test).
Spartanburg

He [Dr. Payne] was very helpful, gave me the information needed and primarily, I ended up with a baby. Is hard to know how I would feel if I didn't have a baby, but I think that's what matters. He tried some things to help ensure the process would work, and it did.... [Eset Approach] Because I had already had three failures, we used two. If I were to try again, I would only use 1.... I went through a trial cycle where they tested my uterus in the transfer day
He was very helpful, gave me the information needed and primarily, I ended up with a baby. Is hard to know how I would feel if I didn't have a baby, but I think that's what matters. He tried some things to help ensure the process would work, and it did.
Don't give up hope.
I feel like they really cared.
I do not remember all the details but I went through a trial cycle where they tested my uterus in the transfer day to ensure that they could time it correctly. Then the next month, did it again but with two embryos!
Meghan is the most amazing nurse ever! I cannot say enough good things about her. She cared, understoid the difficulties, and helped me through the process. When I had some bleeding she did everything she could to help me and she encouraged me when I needed it. I am at thankful for her. I did not feel like all the other nurses cared quite the same. I was told they would give me a few samples of medicine if needed, I ran out because my mother in law passed away and vecause of that I was busy and thus late ordering more, I called and was made to feel very bad for asking for a sample so I had to work out another solution on my own - although maybe it was hormones. That was very stressful to deal with when the doctor had told me they would help but I think the nurse just thought I was lazy which maybe was fair but I was having a tough time.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They charged me and my husband for an initial consultation even though they did not really work with my husband because we already had frozen embryos. If I go back, I won't take him to the consultation.

2014 - 2017
Dr. Payne has a very warm bedside manner. He is very compassionate and caring....Dr. John Payne is a very caring and compassionate doctor. He wasn't the first doctor that I saw at the practice; I actually switched to him because I liked him better. He has an excellent bedside manner. He always took the time to answer any questions I had. He is also extremely knowledgeable about infertility. I would highly recommend him to anyone dealing with infertility.
2014 - 2017
I guess I would say something that I think is good advice for dealing with any doctor, that you need to be your own advocate with your health care. Speak up for yourself and don't be afraid to ask any questions.
Dr. Payne has a very warm bedside manner. He is very compassionate and caring.
I don't remember all the details of the cycles because my last full cycle was in 2014, but I do remember the medications used. I started out on birth control pills, then started injecting Lupron, then Gonal-F. And also estrogen patches and progesterone shots. And of course the hCG shot to trigger ovulation. I don't remember doses, but I always responded very well. For my frozen cycles I just did estrogen patches or pills and progesterone.
Stephanie Biggerstaff is the nurse at the Spartanburg office and the IVF coordinator. When I was doing my first IVF cycle in 2012 I only spoke with her on the phone because she was at the Greenville office at the time. When I was trying again in 2014 and 2017 she was the primary nurse at the Spartanburg office. She is truly amazing! She is so compassionate and empathetic. Takes the time to listen and give a hug when you need one. She truly goes the extra mile to make sure each patient receives the best care. I love nurse Stephanie so much that I bring my boys back to visit every so often. She made the infertility journey so much easier.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I can't think of anything but positive to say about PREG! All members of the staff have been very helpful and caring. They usually returned my calls or emails quickly. And have options to help with the cost, like they have an infertility seminar that you can go to once a year and get a coupon for $250 off.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They all always schedule monitoring appointments for early in the morning, so by around 8:30. I don't love having to go to the doctor that early, but it was definitely worth it! Usually when I went for an appointment there was not very many other people waiting.
I had insurance coverage for infertility for all but the last cycle. I don't remember exactly because it's been a while but I believe we paid about $2300 for a full cycle. I think they are $10,000 without insurance coverage. I think I paid about $1700 for the frozen cycles, although we had a low out of pocket max (3000 I think) so when we were trying for our 2nd child we ended up paying nothing for a full cycle, because had already done 2 frozen cycles that year. When we were trying for # 3 in 2017 we no longer had fertility coverage and paid $3100 for a frozen cycle.
Dr. Payne was fine with us transferring two embryos. He left the decision up to us whether we wanted to transfer 1 or 2. I don't think he would have supported transferring more. I feel like he explained the risks well of transferring multiple embryos.
Spartanburg

Dr Payne was a wonderful doctor to work with. He was compassionate and thorough. He explained every procedure and what to expect. He understood any pain or discomfort and helped when needed. He worked with any personal insecurities.
He was very personable. He related to us, rejoiced with us and gave us any hard information with understanding and Grace
The only struggle I had was from the anesthesia used for the retrieval. Everything else was fine. I don't remember all the specifics of medication used. I followed the outline as given.
The entire staff was wonderful,! One nurse I did have as little issue with. I passed out at home and then couldn't hold any fluids down after the retrieval. The nurse I spoke with didn't take care if calling in a script in a timely manner, and wasn't compassionate. I told her beforehand that I don't do well with anesthesia and wasn't taken seriously. Other than that, every nurse I came in contact with was phenomenal!! The ladies in the lab showed genuine concern and took the highest care with me, even though I'm prone to passing out from blood draws, they knew to lay me down and didn't take issue with it.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG twas a fabulous clinic to work with. They take time to talk with you prior to making a decision to use fertility treatments. They give you a cost estimate based on your insurance and then give you suggestions to help with cost reduction (applying for prescription assistance, etc). The front staff gets to know you by name so you are greeted when walking in the door. Everyone rejoices in your success with you and takes care of you when you hot road blocks.
Dr Payne was very insistent on only transferring one embryo the first time as she was the highest possiblequality for a frozen embryo. He wouldn't transfer a second embryo since this was my first cycle and he wanted to do what was the safest for me and my child.
Columbia

I feel that Dr. Payne is very knowledgeable about my conditions and did explain the course of treatment for PCOS and anovulation. He allowed me to make my own decisions regarding how many times I could try a treatment while being realistic on the chances of it being successful. I did not care for the last time that we spoke him pushing IVF but he did explain everything and what to expect with the procedure itself. Of the times we spoke he was very kind and caring.
Research treatments and their success rates. Dr. Payne does not explain success rates in as much detail as he does with IVF.
The ladies in his office always knew my name and asked me personal questions regarding events in my life. I did not see Dr. Payne a lot but when I did he was very personable and I felt wanted to help me through the difficult journey of infertility.
We started our journey with 5 medicated cycles with timed intercourse. My HSG showed bilateral clear tubes and husbands semen analysis was normal with only mild variation in shape. I did not ovulate on my own so the thought was to add follicle stimulation medication. We did one cycle of clomid with no follicles at CD 12 ultrasound and then switched to femara for five cycles. The femara produced one follicle each month which ranged from 20-25mm. A HCG trigger shot was added with each medicated cycle to induce ovulation and three days of intercourse was suggested after administration of trigger shot. We did not conceive on any of the medicated cycles with timed intercourse. Dr. Payne suggested to try a more invasive procedure since the medicated cycles with timed intercourse seemed to not be enough so we tried IUI. The IUI was with femara and the HCG trigger. I produced one 20-25 follicle each cycle and we trigged with the IUI to follow 24 hours later. My husbands semen counts were between 15-23 million each procedure. We were unsuccessful with the IUI procedures. No explanation could be given and Dr. Payne suggested that we move on to an even more invasive procedure such as IVF as the chance for success after any three consecutive treatments is 30%. So here we are.
Stephanie was always very knowledgeable and helpful in answering any questions. She remembered little things about my personal life and made sure to make me feel comfortable at each appointment. She was also very encouraging which helped through the painful journey we were on.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths of the clinic include knowledge on all things infertility and treatments and personal care. The clinic is always kept very clean and appointments are easy to make. One weakness that comes to mind is the call back can sometimes take a little time. They generally return my calls by the end of the day but sometimes it can be the next day when I really need an answer.
Follicle scans were $86 per scan. Lab draws were $45. Semen analysis was $250. IUI procedure was $250.
Spartanburg

He always included me in the plan of care and gave me options to choose from for future cycles! Always answered questions fully and was very knowledgeable answering my questions! Great bedside manners! Dr Payne would sometimes seem rushed when meeting with him, however he was the only doctor at the Spartanburg office and if ever you had further questions after getting home you could always call the office and questions would be answered immediately!
Do not give up no matter how long the process is or how many failures you have to go through!
Dr Payne was always caring and concerned! Never once did he lose hope and faith that one day I will get pregnant and have a healthy pregnancy! He always gave me options to choose from instead of deciding for me and he included me in my plan of care!
For the 3 IUI procedures, I was taking Femara and gonal-f along with a trigger shot! I was not ovulating or producing eggs of great quality and these medications helped that process! For my IVF egg retrieval I was on an antagonist protocol! This worked very well as 19 eggs were retrieved, 16 were mature, 12 fertilized, and 5 made it to day 5 blasts! We were able to do a fresh transfer of 1 Embryo but this cycled failed as well! My first frozen Embryo transfer I was stimulated with estrace, medrol, and progesterone! We plan on transferring only one Embryo!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Biggerstaff )
Stephanie is always so kind and always has a smile on her face! She is there to listen, answer questions, calls back to answer questions or lab results in a timely manner, and is a shoulder to cry on through all the disappointments and failures! She is truely the sweetest person ever! She is a great person to communicate with through this journey! She has touched so many lives and families in ways she will never understand! Truely amazing!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Not a long wait in waiting room never no more than 20 minutes Clean, friendly, and enjoyable atmosphere Convenient locations Convenient appointment times No negative comments at all
the costs of these procedures are extremely expensive however I don't think it's in relation to the office or physician! I feel like, in general, all infertility treatments are extremely expensive! The office would work with you with payments but would not perform procedures until paid in full which would sometimes delay cycles and treatment!
I am a person who is scared of carrying multiples such as twins or triplets because I am a labor and delivery nurse and understand and know the risks of carrying multiples! Dr Payne is very adiment on only transferring just one Embryo for this simple reason! I love that about his plan of care for patients!

2012 - 2017
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Payne was extremely compassionate. He made sure we understood our options and what we could expect. He gave us his thoughts and suggestions but allowed us to make the ultimate the decision. During our retrieval and transfers he was exceptional and explained everything that was happening as it happened.... When doing IVF we planned for a fresh transfer if possible but knew that we may possibly have to freeze (due to PCOS).
2012 - 2017
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Payne was compassionate and friendly. He made sure we understood the process and all potential risks. During all interactions with him he had fantastic bedside manner. He walked us through the retrieval and transfers step-by-step and interacted with us prior to and after each procedure.
You won't always see Dr. Payne at each appointment but when you do see him you will be pleased with the interactions. Ask as many questions as you feel you need to because he won't hesitate to answer and won't make you feel like you're being rushed.
Dr. Payne was extremely compassionate. He made sure we understood our options and what we could expect. He gave us his thoughts and suggestions but allowed us to make the ultimate the decision. During our retrieval and transfers he was exceptional and explained everything that was happening as it happened. HIs staff was friendly and responsive to any and all questions I had during the entire process. I never felt brushed off and I felt like my questions were answered timely and fully
When doing IVF we planned for a fresh transfer if possible but knew that we may possibly have to freeze (due to PCOS). After the stimulation protocol I developed slight hyper-stimulation so Dr. Payne suggested freezing all embryos so that my body could be better prepared for the transfer. Medications included: Leuprolide Acetate, Lose Dose HCG, Cetrotide, Gonal-F, HCG, Progesterone injections, Medrol, estrogen
Stephanie was fantastic to work with. She was responsive to calls and emails and worked to ensure that I had everything I needed. She worked with my insurance company on getting my medications timely and explained everything that I needed to do and what I could expect.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We never waited long for any appointments or procedures as they ran on time the majority of the time. I always received calls back in a timely manner. All staff members that I interacted with were pleasant and friendly. The staff did a great job of explaining everything they were doing and making me feel comfortable.
Less than $10,000 due to insurance coverage (this included out of pocket costs, deductible, and medications)
The doctor suggested eSET for our first transfer. When that failed he did suggest eSET for our 2nd transfer as well (in addition to an endometrial scratching) but did tell us we could transfer 2 if that's what we chose.

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Payne genuinely cares for his patients however, like any medical professional it is their job and sometimes that is evident as they base everything on statistics and often only gives very "GRAY" answers as nothing is very black and white in relation to answers you receive... I did Femara and Clomid for several cycles that failed. I then did Clomid plus Gonal F for a couple cycles and ultimately had one failed IUI cycle. We then decided to move forward with IVF (as Dr Payne also suggested) and I was on the antagonist protocol where birth control was taken then Gonal F and low dose HCG and Cetrotide was added in. I had retrieval and transfer. However, it failed with transferring two perfect quality embryos.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Payne is a great reproductive endocrinologist. Although I have not yet achieved the ultimate goal being pregnancy, he does genuinely care for his patients and want the best for us. I do wish I saw him more in the office as I go to a satellite campus and it is primarily ran by the nurses(which are amazing), but it's more trusting to see your physician more often. He is ultimately a good MD.
He moves fast! So if you can't comprehend as fast as he is relaying information to you, ask him to repeat things. Also, don't hesitate to ask for further details about things he may share in relation to statistics.
Stephanie is amazing! Literally, she is heaven sent in the field of infertility medicine. She is very compassionate. You never feel rushed. She always answers your questions. She laughs with you and cries with you. She is such a blessing.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic overall is a very organized well ran practice. This practice does strive to meet the standards of ASRM and to provide patients with a pregnancy the quickest and cheapest route. They are willing to help with finances occasionally if able! I like this practice a lot.
The Femara and Clomid was not that expensive. However, the gonal F is very expensive around 1000 per cycle it is used for stims during TI and IUI. During IVF, the expenses end up being around 10-20K for a normal cycle. Other test like genetic testing, etc are additional cost of around 4-5K. Infertility is not cheap. It is definitely a financial burden for all families undergoing this treatment.
He strongly recommends eSET if you have good quality embryos and are less than 35. However, I went with my gut understanding the risk with potential multiples....and as mentioned previously, transferred two perfect embryos and i am <35 and it did not result in a pregnancy.

15 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Payne took us through a lot of diagnostics, but did not identify that my wife has the MTHFR gene. We did several IUI cycles with him, and we had to do an I&C with him as well. Those were all completed with proficiency, to be sure, but didn't result in a pregnancy.... Dr. Payne explained the rationale and treatment plan to us in detail when we first met with him. We started off with a not-so-great feeling once we were informed that the treatment plan would not be personalized to our needs and that we would follow a predetermined treatment plan that they use for every patient.
15 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Payne explained the rationale and treatment plan to us in detail when we first met with him. We started off with a not-so-great feeling once we were informed that the treatment plan would not be personalized to our needs and that we would follow a predetermined treatment plan that they use for every patient. We worked with PREG for about a year before we had had enough and sought out another clinic. Dr. Payne communicates well, and is kind to his patients. However, we just didn't feel like any of our treatment was personalized to our situation, and when we expressed our desire to take a different approach we felt that we weren't heard by Dr. Payne.
I would advise you to seek out a different clinic and a different Doctor. Dr. Payne has clearly had some success, but the clinic's overall philosophy does not include an individualized treatment plan for its patients.
PREG utilizes a formulaic approach to all fertility treatment patients. There is no personalized care, rather they take every patient through what is basically a flow chart of treatment. We did not feel a personal touch in any way from this clinic, and the bedside manner was missing completely. There was no discussion or concern about my wife's mental state whatsoever. On top of our poor experience with the doctors themselves and their treatment plans, none of the treatments resulted in a pregnancy.
Depending on the nurse that was assisting us that day, we had mixed feelings. Some of the nurses were very compassionate and gave us personal attention. Others were very business like and just wanted to get you in and out.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths would include a large network of clinics that share information, well-qualified doctors and an office with a nice atmosphere. Weaknesses include their overall approach to treatment - which is to say, it is not personalized at all to the patient. Every patient that comes in follows the same basic treatment plan. In our experience, that plan is not very exhaustive and ignores information gained via diagnostics that could point to the actual issue. Whatever that issue is, you're going to go through the same treatment plan as everyone else.
I don't remember the specifics, but in general the IUI's were pretty affordable. Less than $1,000 per cycle.

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Dr. Payne was very upfront from the beginning of the experience. I am overweight and he let me know that, no, I didn't have to lose weight, but if I did, it would be healthier. I never felt pressured to lose weight or that he wouldn't perform the procedure. When he learned my husband was a large part of the problem, he did everything he could to make sure we understood his condition. He was born without his vas defrens, meaning that he had no pathway for the sperm to get out. There were multiple semen analyses done in order to make sure there were no unnecessary procedures done. He took extra care to explain what would happen with the procedure my husband had to remove the sperm because it was my husband's first surgery and he was nervous. He also had nurses come to the waiting room to inform me of how things were going. The only thing I was not 100% satisfied with was that, though we did have an absolutely amazing experience and would choose him every time, he always felt a bit rushed. Im not sure if that was just his peraonality, always going, or if the facility had multiple patients scheduled around a certain time, but he always seemed to give us all the information we needed and asked for in a quick manner. Now don't mistake that as he didn't stay if we needed him. If we had additional questions, he stayed and answered them. It didn't appear to bother him, he never seemed unhappy to have to stay longer with us, and he never sent someone else in to answer our questions. He was just constantly moving with purpose.
Come in with a list of questions and a pen. This is for any doctor you see at PREG but especially Payne. He answers your questions quickly and moves on to the next topic so if you have a list of questions when you go in, you can make sure those questions are answered (write what he says next to the question for easy reference!) And you can also wrote down other questions that arise while he is talking if you don't want to interrupt him and go back to those questions at the end. Basically just make sure anything you wanted to know, you have written down.
I had previously seen another doctor at PREG as well as an RE in another location close by. With the first doctor at PREG (Dr. Nichols), I was slightly younger and my husband (who at the time was my boyfriend) worked 12-hour shifts 7am-7pm so most of the time, he was unable to accompany me. Though he and I had been together for 4-5 years, I felt as though I wasn't taken seriously by Dr. Nichols. He would not discuss anythi mg with me without my partner present and constantly stated we would talk more when my partner was able to be there. I felt patronized. With the second doctor at a different facility, I met with him only once before he called me over the weekend to inform me, in his exact words, that I was "too fat to get pregnant naturally" and that if I were willing to go on the program he and his wife were on, he would consider IVF for me. Dr. Payne was different. I went back to PREG and stated I wanted to be seen by any doctor other than Nichols, and they obliged. Dr. Payne took the time to get to know my husband and I together and separate since we had to go for different thimgs throughout the procedure. He was also frank with us when we asked about our chances, how everything could go, what his plan was, etc. He was an open book and even though he told us realistically our chances, he remained optimistic that we would be pregnant successfully. When we saw our first heartbeat, there were two and he told us that though it was exciting, there was still a chance of an early miscarriage for one or both. We did end up losing one of the twins and he comforted us but took great care in making sure the one we did have was healthy and stable to the best of his ability.
I don't remember specifics. I know I was on birth control for a few weeks to trick my body into having a period (they are extremely irregular-- I could have one every month or not have one for 2 years). Once I had my period, I began injections for egg retrieval and growth. I then took estrogen, estrace, and progesterone to keep the embryo happy in my uterus. Without specifics, I remember taking lupron, gonal-f, the estrogen and estrace, progesterone-in-oil, and some other pills throughout the cycle.
The nurses were absolutely amazing. They knew us by name and we felt more like a family. They always included both me and my husband in everything that was discussed, they allowed us to be together if one of us was uncomfortable, they laughed with us... They were amazing during this time!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Alma is the front desk coordinator and she will be your main point of contact. Make friends with her. The clinic is always clean and had very relaxing music playing, usually something along the lines of light rock. There are several things that they do throughout the year, such as Christmas wishes, where you can bring a wish written and put into a clear ornament and it will hang on their Christmas tree for good luck. They are very inclusive. All around the office there are pictures and thank-you cards from successful patients and their new bundles of joy. Make sure you make them one. The one weakness that we ever experienced, we made well-known to the clinic and they handled the situation. We were in the beginnijng stages and were discussing treatment options with one of the nurses and she said something along the lines Of, "you should take mijne for a day. You wouldn't want to be here and sure wouldn't want twins." I left in tears and my husband was furious because she was working in an office where literally EVERYBODY's point there was to get pregnant, and she made snide comments about her own child and how we wouldn't want one after that. We brought it to the attention of the staff and though she is no longer employed, that comment sticks with me.
My insurance covered a good bit thankfully, but that isn't always the case. We paid out-Of-pocket for our medications (about 4500) as well as for each ultrasound (usually between 150-300). We also paid a portion of the actual cost which totaled about 7000 after insurance. We had financing to cover this.
We were warned that multiple embryo transfer could lead to a higher chance of multiples and were told that having a multiple pregnancy was more risky, but ultimately it was our decision and we went through with transferring two embryos.

12 Eggs Frozen
1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Dr. Payne is very knowledgeable about cancer and how his treatments may have affected me. He was cautious about the amount of treatment (injections) he was giving me. I could see that he was very concerned. Even when I had to see another doctor once because he was out of the office, he made sure that I would be comfortable with the doctor and he checked to see how things went when he returned. I'm praying Dr. Payne will still be available when I move forward with having a baby. I can't think of one weakness to share about Dr. Payne. Just an overall great doctor!
12 Eggs Frozen
1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Be prepared to be pampered and have a doctor that actually listens and addresses your concerns.
Dr. Payne took the time to understand my personal situation. He knew how important egg retrieval was to me and he treated the situation with care. He took the time to research and understand the treatment I was about to undergo for breast cancer treatment. He even called to check and see how things were going. I couldn't ask for more.
I don't remember all of the strategies, but I can say that he made sure the treatments were of minimal affect on the breast cancer situation. He made sure he did not give me anything that would have made things much worse. He even contacted my doctor to make sure his treatment strategies would be suitable.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Thomason)
The nursing staff was really good. Everyone from the receptionist to the lady who drew my blood to the lady who did all my paperwork. I was always greeted with a smile and they always asked how I was feeling. They even listened to me rant and rave about my newly diagnosed cancer situation. I felt very comfortable with the nursing staff, nurse, and care coordinator.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths - Very personable staff. Office temperature is nice (not freezing). Never overlycrowded when I went at my appointment time. They always call and give results or further instructions when necessary. Weakness - I still can't think of a weakness.

2013
Dr. Payne took time to get to know our history...Dr. Payne helped us navigate the changes that had occurred. He was sensitive to our nerves of doing the process again. His words were accurate, yet compassionate and understanding. During the embryo transfer process I was anxious to tears. He was slow to begin and very calming. He told us to trust the process. He encouraged us to only transfer 2 embryos and freeze the remaining embryo.
2013
Dr. Payne took time to get to know our history. We had previously had a successful IVF in 2005 in a different state. Dr. Payne helped us navigate the changes that had occurred. He was sensitive to our nerves of doing the process again. His words were accurate, yet compassionate and understanding. During the embryo transfer process I was anxious to tears. He was slow to begin and very calming. He told us to trust the process. He encouraged us to only transfer 2 embryos and freeze the remaining embryo. He was honest about the possibility of multiples and honest about the dangers of multiples as well.
Ask questions. He is happy to answer. He uses your questions as a guide to what to explain.
Dr. Payne was thorough and thoughtful. We were familiar with the IVF process from our first child, but it had been 7 years since then. Dr. Payne took time to explain how the process had improved and what to expect.
I was going to a satellite office in Asheville, NC, so there was only 1 nurse staffed there and she was a midwife. She was excellent. Got to know me very well.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Friendly, clean, timely. Very organized. Compassionate. Happy to answer any questions. If they don't know they will find someone who does. I've been to the new Asheville office and it is very nice. Much better facility than original location. The Greenville office is also very friendly and very organized.
The Asheville office was super convenient. They worked around my work schedule and were able to see me 1st thing in the morning for all blood work and monitoring. I never had to wait longer than 5 min.
About $15,000
Dr. Payne chose to transfer 2 embryos because that is what we had transferred the first time and we had a successful single birth. He didn't want to change too much for what we had done before because it worked. I wanted all 3 embryos at first because I wanted the best possible results. Dr. Payne was very thorough in explaining the pros/cons of multiple embryo transfers and we decided together to only transfer 2 and freeze one.

2011 - 2012
Dr Payne realized that my problem was a late ovulation. ... I was ovulating after day 22, so my cycles were extremely long. ... So, Dr Payne gave me a recipe of different medications to make my eggs more healthy and actually ovulate on time. ... He was always very understanding with my 5 miscarriages. He realized every loss mattered. ... He was also very gentle and understanding when the news was not good.
2011 - 2012
Dr Payne realized that my problem was a late ovulation. I did suffer one of my 5 miscarriages under his treatment, but he changed up my medicine and I ovulated sooner, resulting in my precious son! I am forever grateful to Dr Payne for listening to my intuition and hearing me out on how my body was responding to the medications. He was also very gentle and understanding when the news was not good. I will never forget sitting at my desk when he personally called to tell me I would soon be losing the baby. And I also remember the joyous day when he was certain I was having twins, but a scan revealed it was only one baby!
Go see Dr Payne! Don't wait!
Dr Payne was wonderful! I can't say enough positive things about him. He was always very understanding with my 5 miscarriages. He realized every loss mattered. Every baby we lost was prayed for, wanted, and loved. Most OBYN's did not show sympathy, but Dr Payne always did.
I was ovulating after day 22, so my cycles were extremely long. I would get pregnant, but the pregnancy did not last, as my eggs were not viable. So, Dr Payne gave me a recipe of different medications to make my eggs more healthy and actually ovulate on time. It worked! I ovulated on Day 15!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Carolyn)
Nurse Carolyn was actually even better than Dr Payne. She called me very often and knew my cycle better than I did!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG is a wonderful clinic. I always felt comfortable and welcome. I never waited long, and my test results were always prompt. I have nothing negative to say about the clinic. They treated me like I was their only patient and were always extremely compassionate.
I really do not remember my costs. I would say about $5-10K.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
He’s [Dr. John Payne] very down to earth and genuinely wants to give a patient the best care he can given the situation. With my first transfer, he told us that we may have a miscarriage because the embryos didn’t look as good as they would have liked. When we did lose the heartbeat he told us that it wasn’t our fault and there could have been a number of reasons why we had a miscarriage.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
He’s very down to earth and genuinely wants to give a patient the best care he can given the situation. With my first transfer, he told us that we may have a miscarriage because the embryos didn’t look as good as they would have liked. When we did lose the heartbeat he told us that it wasn’t our fault and there could have been a number of reasons why we had a miscarriage.
Even though everything about infertility is expensive, Dr. Payne is very down to earth and will try to help and explain everything so you understand what all is going on. He will try to help the self pay patients as much as possible.
I didn’t feel rushed through anything when I first started going since I hadn’t learned a lot about infertility treatments yet.
Normal ivf protocol with someone with diminished ovarian reserve and having to use a donor due to my husband’s infertility.
The Spartanburg office nurses are amazing. A couple at the Greenville office are good. I prefer the Spartanburg ladies. Ms. Jackie that would always draw my blood is the best and super nice.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Wait time is ridiculous even if you arrive early for an appointment. Especially when I live 40 or more minutes away and have to wait 30-45 minutes before I’m even called back. I know everyone likes to ask a lot of questions and try to get as much out of their appointment as possible, but maybe they need to have a better schedule.
Some were quick others I had to wait and was late to my job.
Too much. Probably over $20000
We did transfer two 3 day embryos only because they were growing slow and thought maybe they would have a better chance back inside me.

Endometriosis, PCOS
He is very thorough and understanding of the situation. He stands a little close to you as a person. But that is just his way of trying to make you feel comfortable. I am very comfortable and trust worthy of dr Payne. ... He helped me understand exactly what was going to happen. Exactly what to expect and how to deal. I felt very comfortable ... My dr was very nice and made me forget all the things to go wrong before I sat down with him.
Endometriosis, PCOS
Dont let him standing to close to you bother you.
Every nurse was so nice to me. Very compassionate about their jobs and the roles they play. The only upset was that they were very unorganized. Three different nurses called me back to get my blood pressure and ask me the same questions. After every nurse visit they escorted me back to the waiting room. After the third nurse came to get me I told her that my blood pressure had already been taken twice and she apologized and sent me back to the waiting room.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The building is a little difficult to get into. You can get lost in the little square it is in. The office is upstairs. Clean waiting room and offices. The receptionist seemed a little overwhelmed and unorganized as well as the nurses. My dr was very nice and made me forget all the things to go wrong before I sat down with him.
Semen analysis $130. Consultation $200. Labwork $1,300. Ultrasound $280. Hsg $600.

Anovulation, Other
Dr. Payne is very knowledgeable, compassionate, and thorough. He changes the course of treatment if there is ever a problem for any reason and always tries to choose the most cost effective method that will get results. There were some times I left the clinic, however, not 100% sure of the next step in the process. ... Dr. Payne has been the first doctor ever (I have consulted several doctors) to go into as much depth to try to resolve this.
Anovulation, Other
Take good notes about treatment and double check with him or the nurse before you leave
Dr. Payne listens to your concerns and works with you the best way possible to cover everything
I was tried on letrozole, clomid, and low-dose gonal-f for ovulation induction. Unfortunately, none of these worked and I will have to move on to IVF, but Dr. Payne has been the first doctor ever (I have consulted several doctors) to go into as much depth to try to resolve this.
All of the nursing staff are very friendly and helpful
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The overall feel of this clinic is friendly. The waiting room is very well decorated and doesn't feel as much like a doctor's waiting room as some other clinics. The reception staff are excellent and learn your name after the first few visits. All of the nurses, administrative staff, lab staff, and financial counselors have been nothing but cheery and helpful. The only thing I would critique about the clinic is the need for written instructions to take home post-visit with medication doses and duration, most common side effects, next visit date, etc.
sperm analysis - $130 vaginal ultrasound - $180 consultation - $80 hsg - $600
Greenville

We trust Dr Payne with our treatment and so far it's been a good experience. As we further the treatment I believe we'll continue to receive a high level of care. He's been very informative and goes into detail about each step of the process and ensures that we get the chance to ask whatever questions we may have.... We were told that we will be great candidates for traditional IVF. So we don't have to use any nontraditional methods. We will do hormone treatment to prepare to retrieve eggs then get embryos naturally. Then we should be able to use day 3 or day 5 embryos for the IVF. After that it should proceed as normal.
Be open and honest with all of your questions and concerns. And don't be hesitant to express anything you might not be sure about.
He is courteous and explains the process and expectations very well. Seems to understand the delicate nature of the situation.
The staff is kind and friendly. They're very helpful and organized as well. They make sure to call ahead for appointments and cancellations. The financial staff is very knowledgeable and does a great job of explaining the process and costs involved.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic itself has been great. No complaints at all. It's a good environment and all the staff is friendly and courteous. They ensure that you are well taken care of and informed about the entire process.
Between $8,000 and $13,000
We haven't gotten far enough into the process with Dr Payne to have a detailed comment yet.
Greenville

He is very knowledgeable and created a plan that my husband and I were happy with. He took the time to explain some of our test results in person immediately after the procedure. Dr. Payne has answered all of our questions throughout the process.... Femara each month, ultrasound to check follice size and depending on results, an ovidrel shot to stimulate ovulation. Timed intercourse for the next 2-3 days.
Be patient, because it could take a little trial and error first.
Dr. Payne and his team explained all procedures and plans thoroughly. They are very patient, kind and answer all of my questions promptly.
The nurses and staff at Preg Spartanburg are amazing. They’re intelligent, thoughtful and go out of their way to make sure you’re comfortable. I never mind going in for my appointment because I know I’ve the best team and nurses in the area.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Sometimes, I find it difficult to get in touch with someone on the phone at the Spartanburg office. I have to call the Columbia office and get transferred to a coordinators voicemail in Spartanburg to schedule appointments or leave a voicemail for the nurse.
Workup including consultation, blood work, ultrasound and hsp was about $1000. Prescriptions and additional blood work panels were all fairly reasonable and each additional ultrasound is $180.
Spartanburg

We opted to have IVF with eggs retreived and then frozen due to the percent of pregnancy rate going up in probability. This was advised [by Dr. John Payne] as our best option...We had 9 Eggs retrieved. 3 we're viable. They all didn't survive. He is now suggesting a second round...He is very friendly and professional...He is good at what he does. He very professional and concerned with my wife's care and the care of our future family. He may have gone into too much detail but he was able to communicate in a fashion that I understood.
Be ready for the amount of information and be ready for sticker shock.
He is very friendly and professional. You can tell he has a family and knows how important it is for couples during this hard time. At least I felt that way.
We opted to have IVF with eggs retreived and then frozen due to the percent of pregnancy rate going up in probability. This was advised as our best option. My wife did the shots treatment which I compassionately administered. We had 9 Eggs retrieved. 3 we're viable. They all didn't survive. He is now suggesting a second round.
They are the most friendly nurses I've ever run across. They're very professional and very informative as well as compassionate at the same time. They also have a good sense of humor.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I can't think of too many weaknesses other than the normal IVF astronomical costs involved. Their strengths are cleanliness, professionalism, compassion, sense of humor to put you at ease. They all seem to be on the same page and have the same amount of information regardless of the amount of questions that you bring to them.
Out of pocket: $6500 for IVF procedures and checkups. $7-8000 for medications reduced 75% using aid. Charged in insurance $?
We've only been given the option of single embryo.
Spartanburg

Dr. Payne is incredibly down to earth. He takes the time to make sure the patient understands exactly where they are in their fertility journey, and clearly outlines the steps going forward. He treated us like individuals, getting to know us and understand where we have been, where we want to go, and what our restrictions are.... We especially appreciated his candor when explaining our course of treatment and the potential setbacks. He always made sure we understood all aspects of the process before leaving his office.
Dr. Payne is an amazing specialist. He knows the process inside and out, and helped us understand the course of treatment. We especially appreciated his candor when explaining our course of treatment and the potential setbacks. He always made sure we understood all aspects of the process before leaving his office.
Take notes! He knows so much and talks pretty fast. Don't be afraid to slow him down or have him repeat something.
The treatment began with fertility pills and an ovulation trigger shot for three cycles. We then moved to the same medicine regimen, but added IUI for two additional cycles. Process is still in progress.
All the nurses are great. They all have such positive attitudes, its contagious.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
This clinic is very friendly to all patients. Their billing is easy and accurate, and they are very flexible with appointments. The only weakness we have seen is the admin/nurses lose track of where patients are in their treatment regimen and don't really offer advice/guidance on the next steps. Several times we had to ask for it, but when asked, they were ready to provide everything we needed.
I don't have specifics
Dr. Payne recommended single transfer for us, based on our current situation. He mentioned multiple transfer, but said we didn't need it. He got to know us and recommended the treatment that was best for us specifically. A huge plus knowing that he took the time to know us and what the best course would be.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Payne is always available when I have any questions or concerns. He listened to my thoughts and made decisions that would benefit me the best. He is very personable and has great beside manner.... Originally we attempted Femera to help with ovulation, due to my irregular cycles we hoped this would help with timing ovulation. The pills did not work so we sat down again to see what our next step should be. We tried IUI the next cycle with the Femera and HCG trigger shot. That cycle also resulted in a negative pregnancy test. Due to my multiple miscarriages I was advised that IVF would be my next choice.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Payne and I have a great patient/doctor relationship he always listens no matter what thought I have. He makes sure that I was not trying things that would not benefit me. He is very understanding and sensitive to what I'm going through.
Trust him and be patient this is a long journey.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie-IVF Coordinator )
All of the nursing staff was amazing, I probably called the office a 1,000 times and each time they were pleasant. Stephanie never made me feel like I was bothersome or annoying. I enjoy everyone in the office all the way to the front desk.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: Friendly, Knowledgeable, Understanding, Hard working, Clean Office setting, Several Options available for Fertility Treatment. Weaknesses: Sometimes it takes a while to speak with the Financial Adviser.
HSG-$350 IUI$153 Ultrasound-$50 Blood Work-$50
Spartanburg

I feel as if he [Dr. John Payne] has a job to do and that he wants to try to make every experience a positive one...with the hope of it being possible more than impossible. Dr. Payne tries to give every woman the hopefulness of being a mother.... The treatments that I went through have given me hope even though I have not been able to finish the process to undergo the fertility treatments. I thought for so long that something was wrong with me ,but so far they have reassured me that everything is normal. That gives me hope to one day start a family.
I feel as if he has a job to do and that he wants to try to make every experience a positive one...with the hope of it being possible more than impossible. Dr. Payne tries to give every woman the hopefulness of being a mother.
To believe and stay hopeful
Out of all the times I have been to the office, I have been treated with respect and genuine care.
The nursing staff is great! Every visit is a good one. They take time with you and give you the one on one care that everyone wants.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is a nice place. The lobby is always clean and they have lots of magazines for you if your wait happens to be longer than anticipated. I will say that the times I have been the wait was not long at all i might have waited may be ten minutes past my appointment which is not bad considering other doctor appointments I have had. They make sure that the restrooms are clean and stocked each time. That's a plus in my book.
I cannot compare the facility with another. But the costs are little too much for my husband and I to afford. I wish there was a payment plan for couples who are interested in fertility treatments including medicine too.
John Payne

Dr. Payne is a great physician. He is very thorough on treatment plans and looking at medical records to determine the best treatment plan. He explains everything in detail and lays out all options and gives his medical advise. ... I have done genetic testing, recurrent pregnancy loss blood work, hsg, and my husband had semen analysis. We are currently on our second round of femera with ovidrel trigger shots with timed intercourse and day 12 follicle scans. We have not been through the treatment process long, but are hopeful this method will result in pregnancy.
Dr. Payne is a great physician. He is very thorough on treatment plans and looking at medical records to determine the best treatment plan. He explains everything in detail and lays out all options and gives his medical advise. I highly recommend him as a doctor for any couple who is having trouble with reproduction.
He is great and willing to go through testing to determine causes of infertility
Explains everything well and concerned about trouble conceiving
The nursing staff are fabulous. They answer questions and are very compassionate. They return phone calls in a timely manner, as well.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are very knowledgeable, compassionate, and kind. Their weakness would be financial situations. There were some discrepancies with what I was told for a price and what I was charged. I think a new patient would want to know how willing they are to work with you which they are great at.
The costs have been affordable with my current income and insurance plan.
We have not gotten this far in treatment plan.
Spartanburg
He [Dr. Payne] was very knowledgeable, explained everything very thoroughly and was good in that he gave us hope for achieving our dream of becoming parents. He also took the time to talk to us about normal, everyday things... If a miscarriage occurs again the plan is to do a D & C to see if we can get more information as to why this may be happening....
He was very knowledgeable, explained everything very thoroughly and was good in that he gave us hope for achieving our dream of becoming parents. He also took the time to talk to us about normal, everyday things.
Trust him
He look his time with us and explained everything is detail. He also acted like he cared about our outcome.
After our HSG test, and all of our other testing we were diagnosed with unexplained recurrent pregnancy loss in which the plan is to continue to try to conceive naturally as well as take progesterone and baby aspirin. I was also diagnosed with slight hypothyroidism in which I have been medicating for. I was offered to start ovulation inducing drugs when and if I wish to do so. If a miscarriage occurs again the plan is to do a D & C to see if we can get more information as to why this may be happening.
Very friendly and always willing to help with any questions I have.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths- Staff, communication, flexibility in getting me in as quick as possible. Weakness- Yet to find any, all of my experiences thus far have been positive, other than fainting during a blood draw and that was my fault. I wish that payment plans were available for IVF as this is very expensive and nearly impossible for my husband and I to afford all up front.
HSG/Ultrasound/Labs?meds- around $4,000
No comments
Greenville
Dr. Payne is an exceptional doctor. When we first came to his office he ran all the necessary tests and let us choose the direction we wanted to go without any bias. When I had some complications he was there for me. I ended up making a trip to the ER and Dr. Payne talked to the ER doctor and made sure they took care of me. After my embryo transfer he called me personally and checked on me. I got pregnant during my first round of IVF but had a miscarriage at 16 weeks. When I went to see Dr. Payne after the miscarriage he allowed me to cry in his office. He offered me comfort and time to heal. When I left he hugged me and told me to call him if and when I wanted to try IVF again.
Do it. Talk to him and know that your in good hands!
Dr. Payne was always pleasant. He answered all our questions and let us know what to expect through our IVF process.
The treatment he used was straight forward. It helped me get pregnant.
The nursing staff is top notch. They are friendly, caring, and very knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff is unbelievably nice. There are multiple locations so that can be beneficial. There may be some travel involved because not all offices can perform the retrieval and transfers. All the staff is extremely friendly and knowledgeable.
The price for ultrasounds, blood work, retrevial, transfer

3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
We started with letrozole and timed intercourse for 5 cycles [with Dr. John Payne]. Added iui for a few cycles. Then tried letrozole and gonal-f with iui. Finally we did another round of labs and saw I was pre menopausal and decided my eggs just weren't going to work. ... He is extremely knowledgeable in what he does. He did get me pregnant 4 out of 6 procedures. He was a little insensitive when my ultrasound showed I would miscarry but I'm glad he was blunt so I wasn't left wondering if a miracle would occur.
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Don't be overly sensitive and definitely listen to his advice. He knows what he's doing!
He was very straight forward in telling me what we should do next. He knew my history and told me bluntly what he thought would work best. Sometimes it wasn't what I wanted to hear but what I NEEDED to hear.
We started with letrozole and timed intercourse for 5 cycles. Added iui for a few cycles. Then tried letrozole and gonal-f with iui. Finally we did another round of labs and saw I was pre menopausal and decided my eggs just weren't going to work. Got on the list for embryo adoption and a year later, I have my son!
Everyone at PREG was amazing, compassionate and on top of things! Stephanie and Julie go above and beyond!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are super knowledgeable but very costly! Be prepared to spend money if you want results! They start with simple remedies like meds but sometimes you need more than that and that's when the amount you're spending really starts adding up!
They would usually tell you up front what tests/procedures cost. Occasionally I would also get a bill from an outside lab.
I would've done eSET regardless of their suggestions. (They suggested eSET)
Spartanburg

He [Dr. John Payne] was fine, but I hardly ever saw him. At least he was open to my thoughts about trying IUI at my age, though he had discussed IVF with me. I told him that wasn't an option because I had only set aside a certain amount of money to "just see what happens". He respected that and so we went ahead. However, I had only seen him in passing after that. Most of my time was spent with the nurses.
He was fine, but I hardly ever saw him. At least he was open to my thoughts about trying IUI at my age, though he had discussed IVF with me. I told him that wasn't an option because I had only set aside a certain amount of money to "just see what happens". He respected that and so we went ahead. However, I had only seen him in passing after that. Most of my time was spent with the nurses.
Ask all of your questions and them some because he will answer them.
I only saw him once and that was during my initial consultation.
I got IUI 3 times. I didn't have any history (not really) of infertility other than I'm single. You can't make a baby with just an egg, you know. Anyway, we knew that because of my age and my DOR that it might not be possible to get pregnant, but we went with IUI anyway. IVF would've been the better way to go, but not at those prices.
They were friendly enough when it came to my inseminations. They always checked everything to make sure I was getting what I was supposed to get. They were...nurses.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strength: There's always someone on staff to help you, even when you're frustrated about your treatment. They get things resolved. Weakness: There's something very "assembly line" about the whole process, I supposed. I also wished they had elaborated more on their donor embryo program, too. It was mentioned once and never again. At least that's cheaper than IVF.
About $4500
My doctor didn't go that approach.

2013 - 2016
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
[Dr. John Payne] Checked hormone levels and tube for opening. Checked male factor infertility. That was the big issue and also PcOS. Tube was fine. Due to male infertility, IVF was recommended as first course of action. I visited and they measured lining thickness and egg size often. The retrieval went great and all 5 embryos (my choice) were quality. We implanted 2 each time and 1 of each transfer made it.
2013 - 2016
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Kind, knowledgeable, professional. Was trustworthy. I had a great experience. I was impressed at how the little details they saw were important. Lining thickness etc. I had overstimulation and they took great care of me.
Trust the process. You can expect him to be professional and kind but not overly emotional.
Treated me kindly was thorough and empathetic. However the workup list seemed routine to all patients bc receptionists schedule what is needed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Polowczuk)
She was fabulous. Caring, explained everything and felt like a member of the family. She walked us through the finances, medicine, appointments and took amazing care of our family.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Weakness. Some doctors are a little blunt. The process can feel non specific at times. Strengths, caring, professional, successful outcomes. I live out of state but still plan to go back to them for the last embryo. They're like family. Completely trust them.
I think $10k for first IVF round. Medications on top of that. About $3000 for the second round which was FET
He recommended 2 based on my age.

2013 - 2015
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor
Dr Payne was always honest and caring with my husband and me. He was always very understanding of my specific issues and situation....He was honest, caring, and took time to explain things in a way that was understandable. After my losses due to incompetent cervix he was there for me. He also helped me understand the need and reasons to wait before trying to conceive again.... He assessed everything including my husband’s fertility prior to ivf.
2013 - 2015
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor
Be ready to get going, because Dr. Payne is there to help.
He assessed everything including my husband’s fertility prior to ivf. He did not want to use too much hormones to stimulate me before egg retrieval. This produced less eggs but enough, and it was less risky. Because of my husband’s low sperm count and motility, we also had to have icsi on my eggs.
The nursing staff was always very easy to talk to. They weee also caring and compassionate and helped me navigate the whole ivf process.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
This clinic has several offices which makes it easier to get an appointment. All the offices seem very nice and up to date. All office staff was helpful and accommodating. I would recommend Greenville office above all others as it houses the embryology portion of treatment.
The first live session including medications was around $13000. The second frozen transfer was around $7000
Dr. Payne did allow me to transfer two embryos each time. Both times, only one embryo implanted.

2012
Dr. Payne made sure we understood everything that was happening. I never had a bad experience. I had to have my tubes reverses and he explained the risks, but we proceeded. And it was a success! He is our Angel! I can't even put into words how much he means to us. ... Dr. Payne was amazing. I had little hope when I came to him. He made me feel like he really cared and wanted to make sure we were successful.
2012
To be very honest and accepting so Dr. Payne can access the situation and make the best decisions for you.
Dr. Payne was amazing. I had little hope when I came to him. He made me feel like he really cared and wanted to make sure we were successful. He gave me my miracle baby. The one I waited so long for. The one I never thought would be possible. I can't thank him enough. He has such a warm caring heart. He helped us in such a manner that could never be thanked as it would be.
We reversed my tubes, and then I had to take clomid. That didn't work alone so then we tried that along with Ovidril injections. Our 3rd try, it was successful!
Amazing. Kind. Understanding. Passionate about their patients.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Very clean. Organized. Staff was very helpful. Caring. Treated us like family. They always wore big smiles. They were very informative. The offices were always clean and fresh. Warming. I would absolutely recommend this clinic to anyone seeking treatment.
16,000 was total cost. My insurance covered all but 500.
I do not.

Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
He [Dr. John Payne] does not sugar coat and not the best "bed side" manner doctor but that is not something that I need. I wanted a doctor that cares and can do his job. I never felt like it was just about making money... Gonal-F, Low dose hCG, Lupron Micro-dose, and antibiotics for retrieval. We have not completed teh transfer, but we will be using Progesterone Oil... He was up front with what our expectations were. We requested additional tests to attempt to find out why IUI did not work for us, and he suggested what tests to try.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
He does not sugar coat and not the best "bed side" manner doctor but that is not something that I need. I wanted a doctor that cares and can do his job. I never felt like it was just about making money. He was recommended to us from a friend and i would recommend him to anyone.
If you are wanting to be coddled, he is not the doctor for you. He is there to do his job and will be honest and up front with you.
He was up front with what our expectations were. We requested additional tests to attempt to find out why IUI did not work for us, and he suggested what tests to try. He did not push us to do IVF, he asked what we wanted to do next (IUI with him or go with IVF). He was not pushy and was supportive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsey P. )
Great communication.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They push you to self pay vs using insurance. It was cheaper for us to use our insurance. It would help if they got the insurance negotiated rates prior to the orientation. Overall the staff is extremely friendly and returns calls same day.
Self Pay costs around $12,000.
He does prefer single transfer. We have requested multiple transfer.

IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
He [Dr. John Payne] was caring and compassionate in every step of the way. He asked about our travel up, made sure I was comfortable, and just an awesome human! My husband and I would recommend to everyone who is on this journey. He makes you feel like there is Hope!!... We did a donated embryo transfer, so we had estrogen, progesterone shots, multiple pills to get prepared and make sure the uterus didn’t reject the embryo. The embryo stuck, but we unfortunately lost the pregnancy very early.
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
He was caring and compassionate in every step of the way. He asked about our travel up, made sure I was comfortable, and just an awesome human! My husband and I would recommend to everyone who is on this journey. He makes you feel like there is Hope!!
Schedule your appointment now! He’s a great doctor!
He was compassionate and caring, asked questions about our travel up, made sure i was comfortable at all times.
The nurse was amazing. She made sure I was always comfortable and warm, very compassionate people.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The strength of the clinic would be compassion for sure. Much of the staff has been through the infertility journey and they know what it feels like to want a family badly! They always make sure you understand what you’re about to go through, they’re thorough with detail and keep checking on you after the procedure.
The total cost for the initial transfer was $8,000. Our medicines and monitoring was close to $2,000 additional. So in total, around $10,000
Greenville

Dr. Payne was thoughtful to my individual needs. He used charts to explain things to me that I didn’t fully understand. He made me feel hopeful of the process of trying to conceive a child. He also validated my feelings of frustration along the process....I was prescribed Femera on cycle days 3-8, then Ovidrel to trigger ovulation. Timed intercourse was my main method of treatment.... Took time to explain things to me, but office was always so busy. Not much time during visits all the time.
Be patient. Ask lots of questions. Remain hopeful.
Thoughtful, kind, reassuring.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: ease of scheduling appointments around my work schedule. Weaknesses: busy at times, appointment times don’t always begin on time. Because of the unpredictable time frames of my cycle, I have to rearrange my work schedule for appointments. When appointments aren’t starting on time, this leads to not ending on time, and I have to rearrange the rest of my day.
I am completely selfpay except for lab work. Each visit has its own cost. Follicle scan $190 Baseline ultrasound $280 Medications varies Followup with Dr. $125 Bloodwork/progesterone $105

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Payne is compassionate and knowledgeable. He takes time to answer questions and doesn’t rush me out the door like some doctors do. He was very detailed in describing the HSG procedure as we completed the process, while also helping me to remain calm. I appreciate that he doesn’t speak down to me but does display compassion and caring.... He explains medical diagnoses and procedures with compassion and hope.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Be sure to follow up with instructions on appointment timing.
He explains medical diagnoses and procedures with compassion and hope.
Very compassionate and knowledgeable nursing staff!! They gave me plenty of details while also being caring about the process, and helped me remain hopeful.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Beautifully organized clinic. I would note that as someone facing fertility struggles, the overload of baby pictures everywhere can be a bit overwhelming and even depressing. I am happy for the many families they help create, but wasn’t prepared for the overload when I came for my first appointment.
Initial consultation was around $250. HSG was around $500. Unfortunately my insurance covers NOTHING related to fertility.
Spartanburg

John [Dr. Payne] shares all the information I need to help me in this process. He’s always happy to spend extra time with my husband and I when we need it. When I was in the operating room, John made me feel comforted and helped me to make jokes and laugh even when I was nervous. He never made me uncomfortable or scared when I was getting the retrieval or any other procedure.
John shares all the information I need to help me in this process. He’s always happy to spend extra time with my husband and I when we need it. When I was in the operating room, John made me feel comforted and helped me to make jokes and laugh even when I was nervous. He never made me uncomfortable or scared when I was getting the retrieval or any other procedure.
Listen to what he says and ask as many questions as possible because he will spend a lot of time with you.
John always takes time to talk with me, make me feel comfortable and answer any questions I have.
I was given a print out of all the meds and times to take them. It was well described to me what to do. I had mood swings with the medicines but nothing that would hinder me from continuing the process.
They always helped me and took time with me when I had questions
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is very involved with patients and wants to help in any way. They are always happy and make the mood of the office very happy. They treat patients like family and care for needs and genuinely want to meet those needs.
Greenville

Dr. Payne's care, and bedside manners were excellent. His way of explaining things were so well understood, I never had to question much of anything he was saying. He's blunt, and straight to the point, but yet he's also very compassionate. I wish I could've kept him as my doctor throughout my whole pregnancy (which was a success through IVF) From a 1-10 my overall experience with Dr. Payne would definitely be a 10 and my husband and I will be going back to him, and the PREG staff for baby #2!
I was very pleased with most of the nursing staff especially Kelsey Forbes! I saw her most of the time in the Asheville office, and her care was always excellent! She has such a comforting disposition about her, and I knew I could always ask her anything (even if it was crazy) and I would get a pleasant, and helpful answer.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic itself is very warming, and calming which in my opinion is very important to patients going through infertility because the whole process itself can be very overwhelming, so it's nice to come into a clean, and non hectic environment were all the staff are friendly and you feel like you're going to receive good quality care!
The estimated costs for my IVF treatment was roughly around $8,500
Asheville
Dr. Payne is very knowledgable. He makes you feel welcome and demonstrates a genuine concern for his patients. I felt comfortable talking to him and asking him questions. Office consultations were very thorough. He adequately explained all test results and potential upcoming procedures and/ or treatment options....If you haven't familarized yourself with some of the "lingo" ahead of time, you may find yourself a little confused. He is very understanding, so feel free to interupt and interject with questions at any time.
My advise would be for you to come having done some research yourself. Dr. Payne is very knowledable and can speak medical terminology very quickly. If you haven't familarized yourself with some of the "lingo" ahead of time, you may find yourself a little confused. He is very understanding, so feel free to interupt and interject with questions at any time.
He was very personable. He shook our hands, made eye contact, and was very thorough in his explanations. He gave us as much time as we needed to ensure we understood everything, and he didn't pressure us to make decisions too soon.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is very efficent. They have all paperwork well organized. The wait time at the clinic wasn't very long. People greeted you and demonstrated compassion for your situation. I never felt as if I was an inconvenience to the staff. I appreciated their text, emails, and phone call appointment reminders and/ or test result updates.
Greenville
He [Dr. Payne] is very knowledgeable, but I never saw him except for the new patient evaluation. There were issues with my cycle days shrinking once they put me on femarra My cycle regularity took a 180. If/when I continue I should see him more.... He put me on thyroid medicine and femarra the Same month. My normal cycle is 26-29 days. My cycles with him were month 1...23 month 2...20. Month 3...18. Month 4...18. The goal was iui, but each month took us further from the goal.
He is very knowledgeable, but I never saw him except for the new patient evaluation. There were issues with my cycle days shrinking once they put me on femarra My cycle regularity took a 180. If/when I continue I should see him more.
I felt like they didn’t listen to me as a patient until the last cycle I tried
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Meagan)
Meagan was amazing she’s a great listener and would seek the answers if she could not answer them herself.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They have a great staff. The facility is clean. The lab is great. The front office staff are compassionate to you even with all the hormones out of whack. They are compassionate and supportive. I would just like to see the doctor a little more.
They would bill me more than the copay so my husband would call often to get it straightened out.
Greenville
Mr. Payne was a great doctor and always did what he could but sometimes made me feel like i was too young even though i was married. Im 27 and still waiting to get through the next step which is ivf but i wouldnt wont to go any where else ... He always gave me options and always made me feel positive about the next steps ... I first had an hsg test which showed everything was fine, then timed intercourse with clomid, then iui with injections.
That he is a great doctor but dont get your hopes up the first time of procedures
He always gave me options and always made me feel positive about the next steps
They were always smiling and making sure i was okaybtjrougj procedures. The financial part was a little confusing but other than that they was always hapoy and caring
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Everything is fine except not completely getting full understanding of the financial part. They are always caring and helping with understanding the procedure's that we were going through. I would tell anyone that thats the place to go for any the best results
All together we spent 6k on hsg, timed intercourse, injections and iui
I think mulitlpe at least 2 is good just in case the single one doesnt take

2013 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
He [Dr. John Payne] is a good doctor that seems to care about his patients. But can be a little scattered and quick with his explanations. He is genuinely interested in your care but does seem to push towards more invasive procedure, which does have a higher success rate, but I would prefer to step up then go straight to it.... He will go over the basics but does not get into the nitty-gritty until really asked.
2013 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
He is a good doctor that seems to care about his patients. But can be a little scattered and quick with his explanations. He is genuinely interested in your care but does seem to push towards more invasive procedure, which does have a higher success rate, but I would prefer to step up then go straight to it.
Do your research and come prepared with questions. He will go over the basics but does not get into the nitty-gritty until really asked.
For the most part, he went over treatment plans that were tailored to my issues. However, sometimes the treatment options were non-specific
The Nurses are always communicative and responded quickly to questions. I felt like they knew my situation and understood my concerns and treatment plan.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The Clinic is clean and well organized. Other than meeting with the doctor I don't often have to wait for more than a few minutes for procedures. There is also personal recognition, which is nice. Things seem to be efficient and questions are answered quickly and thoroughly by staff or nurses.
He was definitely pushing to do single embryo transfer with me but it felt like that was for the health of the babies and mother. His goal is to get you pregnant but also to have a healthy pregnancy.
Greenville

We liked Dr. Payne overall. Didn’t see him for every procedure but we didn’t expect to and that was okay. The doctors in the practice work closely together so we felt comfortable with any of them. Actually preferred having multiple people invested in our treatment...He knew who we were and remembered things about us that were not relevant to treatment - like where my husband works....We used an aggressive micro dose flare protocol. Lupron, low dose HCG, Gonal-F.
Ask plenty of questions - he is good at explaining but doesn’t necessarily give all the info unless you specifically ask.
We used an aggressive micro dose flare protocol. Lupron, low dose HCG, Gonal-F.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay)
She is excellent - fully explained IVF process, medications, timeline. Was always available for questions and genuinely cared about how we were doing during the whole process.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Overall it is great. Sometimes crowded and long wait times but the staff, nurses and doctors are always helpful and professional.
We had some insurance coverage for our IVF cycle. Ended up paying about $8000 out of pocket, including medications.
We only had 2 viable embryos so transferred both. The clinic offers eSET but we didn’t feel it was the right choice for us.
Greenville

Dr. Payne was very receptive to my needs. He was as detailed as I needed during our discussions. He really listened to our concerns and made us feel comfortable with our plan of action. We are yet to conceive but feel confident we are headed in right direction under Dr. Payne's care.... I was frustrated with my experience early on due to the office staff. I expressed my concerns and Dr. Payne contacted me after hours one night and talked with me for nearly an hour.
Just ask questions!
Because I have PCOS we started off using only oral medications and trigger shots to force ovulation. We did that for 5 months. We did our first round of IUI last week...too early for results just yet.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Emilie Smith)
Emilie Smith is the nurse practitioner that does all of our ultrasound scans. She also did our IUI. She is absolutely AMAZING! I email her constantly with questions and she is always quick to respond. She's also super friendly!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The office I go to was recently merged with PREG. There have definitely been some pains with that but they seem to be getting better.
IUI approximately $900

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
Dr Payne partially answered questions we had. The concerns we had including semen retrieval were not addressed and it felt like we were brushed off for our concerns. ... Single embryo transfer was suggested and carried out because of maternal age. 29 yo ... Also for financial purposes we were trying to find out what to expect regarding medication and he pushed us off to a nurse for those questions.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
Dr Payne partially answered questions we had. The concerns we had including semen retrieval were not addressed and it felt like we were brushed off for our concerns. Also for financial purposes we were trying to find out what to expect regarding medication and he pushed us off to a nurse for those questions.
Push for answers and don't accept answers you're not comfortable with or that haven't been thoroughly explained.
The coordinator was organized and mostly provided great information with the exception of estimated drug costs which ended up costing almost 2 times the "estimated" costs based. Especially after being told that there wasn't anything unusual or untowards with me as far as not having PCOS etc. Or anything else that further complicates the process.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Clean and very comfortable environment. The support staff other than those previously discussed were great and supportive and compassionate. Financials could have been better explained especially for those without any insuance coverage and paying out of pocket.
We paid $10,500 to the clinic and it included monitoring, ICSI, retrieval, transfer and assisted hatching.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Warm, friendly, patient, and great at explaining every step. We would recommend Dr. Payne to anyone in a heartbeat. He made a very difficult, emotional situation tolerable. Good bedside manner and wonderful doctor.... We started simple and worked our way up from there. Dr. Payne explained every step and gave us the option to skip steps if we felt more comfortable. We chose to start simple as he suggested and tried the least invasive option first, and then moved on from there if it did not work. As a result, we conceived one healthy baby girl.
European, Latino
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Use Dr. Payne. You will not be disappointed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Tori)
Tori was amazing. From beginning to end, she was patient with us, always smiling, answered our 1000s of questions, and even gave us her email address and phone number so that we could reach her quickly.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths - friendly, understanding, warm staff; clean facility. Almost always saw a physician at appointments Weaknesses - sometimes very long wait in the waiting room for appointments--must plan accordingly around work schedules.
Columbia

Dr. Payne was great. He was kind, smart, and patient with us. He seemed like he'd be flexible if you wanted to try something different. He was competent, but not arrogant. I never got the feeling that he was too busy to talk with us. We'd tried IUI several times at a different clinic, but he recommended IVF and it worked!... Dr. Payne treated us like intelligent people. He didn't talk down to us. He took time to answer our questions.