Medical SchoolFurman
(864)-232-7734
1330 Boiling Springs Rd.
Spartanburg, SC 29303
(864)-583-2669
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend John Payne to a friend?

5.9

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group to a friend?
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Endometriosis, Male Factor
How was your experience with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Dr. Payne is very knowledgeable on every treatment possible. He explains every single detail to you, and even gives handouts explaining what he is saying. He always makes sure you're comfortable, and knows exactly what the next step is. If you have any concern he addresses it, and comes up with a solution. He is never pushy, and understands this is a hard area of expertise. I am SO glad I found Dr. Payne. I am currently taking a break from treatments, but I will always recommend him to others, and will get back to treatments with him when the time is right.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
Never doubt what he says. He is very trustworthy. He was made for this job.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group?
The staff is very helpful. They always know how to help, and make you feel right at home. They are absolutely the type of people I would like to see at this kind of facility. They are always smiling, and full of joy. That's what you want to see when you are struggling with infertility. They take the best care of you no matter the condition. They never judge, and are always so sweet.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff as a whole are GREAT! They are always there for advise. They make you feel comfortable about being there, and never stressed. They are there for support. I am still going through treatments, but have not found anything they are not good at. They tell you upfront about payment, and make sure you are okay with the treatment plan. They are not pushy to get you to do things, and understand if it's time for a break.
Greenville

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.

During my stimulation portion, my progesterone level got a little to high to do the invocell, fresh transfer approach. He [Dr. John Payne] instead chose to do the fertilization in the lab, they would be monitored there and after 5 days we would see what had made it to blastocyst. Unfortunately in my case none of my fertilized eggs did make it to blast. So the cycle was canceled
Dr Payne, in my opinion has a great understanding of the way infertility makes a women feel and even when the outcome was not what I had wanted, and I was devastated was able to point out some positive resolutions, and make me feel at ease. He was very concerned about my feelings, and finding ways to try to make a devestating outcome bearable.
Be sure you ask about every possible outcome, and what you can do to better your success
Very sympathetic, listened to a my concerns, gave good fair options
Describe the protocols John Payne used in your cycles at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group and their degree of success.
I chose to do a simply ivf cycle, it was a good option given my testing. During my stimulation portion, my progesterone level got a little to high to do the invocell, fresh transfer approach. He instead chose to do the fertilization in the lab, they would be monitored there and after 5 days we would see what had made it to blastocyst. Unfortunately in my case none of my fertilized eggs did make it to blast. So the cycle was canceled
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Biggerstaff)
The nurse staff at the Spartanburg office is very compassionate, I felt like they all were invested in my case
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Great compassionate atmosphere, felt very welcomed from first appointment The only negative is that the wait times can sometimes be long I would say a new patient should come prepared, they give you a lot of information, be proactive in calling ahead to determine insurance coverage. Ask questions all of the staff are happy to answer any question no matter how insignificant it may seem. Voice what your concerns are.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Payne at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
For my invocell cycle the cost was -6,500 My testing was about 1,000 My husbands testing about -$800 Nurse visits around -$500 Medication-2,200
Describe John Payne's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Dr. Payne feels it is better for the women, and baby to do a eset

2012 - 2018
Dr. Payne has been great. We have our sweet daughter because of him and we are so thankful for everything he’s done for us! I have sent many friends to him because we trust him. This year has been very rough with multiple loses and dissapointments. He is constantly trying to find new ways to help us carry another baby!... We first tried two rounds of IUI. Those didn’t work so we went to IVF due to male factor infertility. Our first fresh cycle was a success!
2012 - 2018
Make sure you see the Dr and not just a nurse.
I feel that doctor Payne cares about me and my husbands care. He has always been kind and gentle no matter what we are going through. We’ve had some very sad news this year and he still has hope for us!
We first tried two rounds of IUI. Those didn’t work so we went to IVF due to male factor infertility. Our first fresh cycle was a success! The first frozen cycle was negative; the second resulted in an early miscarriage; the third resulted in a chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsey (ivf coordinator))
Lindsey can be very sweet. Sometimes I honestly don’t get the warm feeling I would prefer from someone when I am going through such care. Fertility complications are so hard and mentally exhausting. Compassion is so important! Sometimes I don’t feel she is confident on explaining what my test results are and what certain labs can mean.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Preg really is a great place! We love dr Payne and dr Nichols. We also love Stephanie in the financial office. We love miss Jackie! We miss Monte Ann very much! I do feel like the staff knows us very well.
Our insurance does not cover anything. Our IUI cycles cost about $1500. Our ivf cycle cost about $18,000. The last 3 frozen transfers have been over $11,000. This has all been paid out of pocket.

2013 - 2018
Anovulation, Unexplained
Dr. Payne was so helpful with our process to become pregnant. Even when things didn't go as planned, he was very optimistic in encouraging us to keep going with our treatment. At every IUI and every appointment really, he was so good at making us feel comfortable. My husband is very leery when it come to medical stuff, so it was important to me that Dr. Payne made us both feel comfortable.... it was determined that I had Type 2 Diabetes. I had to take a break from fertility treatments for a couple of year and get that under control.
2013 - 2018
Anovulation, Unexplained
Just be patient and let him do whatever he thinks is best for you and your situation. I know it will be hard to go thru the "preliminary" tests, but its all in the best interest of you and your future family!
Dr. Payne really seemed interested in providing my husband and I with all of the tools and knowledge needed to become pregnant.
We started out with Dr. Payne with our first cycle a few years ago. At that time, it was determined that I had Type 2 Diabetes. I had to take a break from fertility treatments for a couple of year and get that under control. After that, we went back and did planned intercourse with 50 mg of Chlomid to start off with. After an unsuccessful three months, we then moved onto three IUI's. After those were also unsuccessful, we ended up at IVF, which was successful on the first try!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay P.)
All of the nurses at PREG are wonderful. Also, the financial counselors and blood work ladies are very knowledgeable and helpful.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG is a very welcoming fertility center. You leave knowing what your next appointment will be like, what you next steps are, and even knowing the cost of associated procedures. The only bad thing is that the clinic is so busy that sometimes you end up waiting longer than expected.
My total cost for fertility treatments was around $12000.00 The financial department was really good about listing what the cost of your procedures would be.
Greenville

With each IVF cycle [with Dr. John Payne], I began birth control to keep my ovaries from ovulating. When doing the egg retrieval, I did daily Lipton injection (again to suppress ovulation) and Gonal-F to mature my follicles. Once the eggs were mature, an HCG trigger shot was given the night prior to my egg retrieval to induce ovulation. I then began wearing estrogen patches and receiving preogesterone injections. My husband’s sperm was collected and my eggs were retrieved. Through ICSI, we had a total of 5, 5 day embryos.
Having gone through prior fertility consultations with unpleasant doctors, my expectations of my initial visit with Dr. Payne were extremely low. I had such a hesitation about meeting him and listening to his plan. I vividly remember walking into his office stone faced as if that would help protect me from the cold natured doctor’s I had seen in the past. I was a broken, infertile woman and didn’t know that in just an hour, my perception of fertility treatments would be changed forever. As we talked about my case and IVF being our only option to conceive, I asked him if he thought it would work for us. I’ll never forget the optimist sound in his voice when he told me he absolutely thought we had a great chance of getting pregnant through IVF. Right there sitting in his office, the wall came down and so did the tears. Dr. Payne had just given my husband and me hope! It was something that I’d lost in the 4 years of trying to conceive. My struggle didn’t end that. I went on to miscarry twins and have a negative frozen embryo transfer, but Dr. Payne has been by our side throughout the entire process. He unexpectedly called me at home to see how I was handling the news that I was going to miscarry and if I had any questions because he had not been in the office that day and wanted to check on me. . He went above and beyond, but that is the kind of doctor he is. He will always be special to our family because he helped us have our son. We’ve since tranfered more embryos and have been unsuccessful in getting pregnant again. We are out of frozen embryos and will need to do another egg retrieval to start again. Dr. Payne has yet again reached out to see how we’re doing and if we’re ready to start the process again. I could go on and on, but I’ll stop by saying I’ve referred several of my closest friends to Dr. Payne, and I think that speaks volumes as to how much I value him as my doctor.
Don’t hesitate in scheduling an appointment with him. He has your best in mind and will work tirelessly to help you reach your goal.
Dr. Payne was very open and honest about our treatment plan. I always had a lot of questions and he was very patient in answering each one of them. He made us feel as though he truly cared about our desire to have children.
With each IVF cycle, I began birth control to keep my ovaries from ovulating. When doing the egg retrieval, I did daily Lipton injection (again to suppress ovulation) and Gonal-F to mature my follicles. Once the eggs were mature, an HCG trigger shot was given the night prior to my egg retrieval to induce ovulation. I then began wearing estrogen patches and receiving preogesterone injections. My husband’s sperm was collected and my eggs were retrieved. Through ICSI, we had a total of 5, 5 day embryos. I took a 10 antibiotic, baby aspirin and prednisone leading up to the transfer. One fresh embryo was transferred and split, but I miscarried the twins. Several months later, I began prepping for our frozen embryos transfer. It began with birth control, Lupron and progesterone injections as well as estrogen patches. I also took the 10 day antibiotic, baby aspirin and prednisone leading up to the transfer. We became pregnant and the progesterone injections and estrogen patches continued until about 10 weeks pregnant. Our last and most recent transfer was a little different. I took birth control, estrogen tablets both orally and vaginally and progesterone injections. The antibiotic, baby aspirin and prednisone protocol remained the same.
I found the majority of the nurses to be kind and compassionate as to what we were going through. They would call of by name in hallways and always seemed to know what we were in the office for on that particular day. There were a couple that seemed robotic in their job, but not anything I found to be offensive. As a whole, the staff treated us like family.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I think the clinic stays on top of each case and are always quick to answer any and all questions you have. They treat you with respect and are sensitive to the nature of why you’re receiving fertility treatments. They do have multiple offices in various locations. I found it confusing when calling my office and reaching another location, only to be transferred back to my office. That situation complicated instances of calling nurses who’d left messages for me to call. It’s a minor complaint, but I always warn people I’ve referred to how their phone system operates. I’d prefer to call my location and talk to someone there.
The first egg retrieval and fresh transfer were approximately $12,000 (excluding medication costs). The second transfer with frozen embryo was approximately $3,000 and the most recent frozen transfer was about $3,300.
If the embryo looks good or great, Dr. Payne highly recommends transferring a single embryo. He tries to avoid multiples at all costs. However, my husband and I transferred two embryos for two of our transfers. Dr. Payne respected our decision and supported us.
Greenville

Dr Payne answered all of our questions and gave us a couple of different options for trying to conceive. He was very open about our diagnosis and told us that we had options instead of pushing us to do the most aggressive treatment. He gave us his time and never made us feel rushed. He talked with us for almost an hour and made sure we had all or our questions answered...was very kind, informative and compassionate from the moment we stepped into his office.
Dr Payne was very kind, informative and compassionate from the moment we stepped into his office. He answered all of our questions and gave us different options. We never once felt forced into any treatment or to take the most aggressive route. We felt that the treatment course was thoroughly explained with pros and cons. He made us feel welcome and we were treated like patients with kindness and compassion.
Call PREG today and set up your consult with Dr Payne! You won't be disappointed.
From the first moment we walked in the door we were treated with kindness and understanding. Dr Payne answered all of our questions and gave us a couple of different options for trying to conceive. He was very open about our diagnosis and told us that we had options instead of pushing us to do the most aggressive treatment. He gave us his time and never made us feel rushed. He talked with us for almost an hour and made sure we had all or our questions answered.
We did 2 cycles of IUI with femara and ovidrel to trigger. We also did 1 IVF cycle with BC pills prior and lupron and gonal f and ICSI. I have good ovarian reserve which and the reasoning for injections chosen and ICSI was chosen for our male factor diagnosis.
The nurses and our coordinator were so nice and compassionate. They were with us every step of the process and although our transfer didn't result in a pregnancy they did call to check on us and see how we were doing after the negative pregnancy test. They all made us feel so welcome and cared for. They greeted us with a smile and kind words at every visit.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
This clinic is amazing. The staff is so kind and welcoming. We walked into our appointment feeling like we had known this people our whole life. They greeted us with smiles and answered all or ourquestions. All of them always showed compassion and were right there with us along the journey. They got excited with us at appointments and showed so much compassion and understanding in the hard times. I can't say enough good things about this clinic. I feel like a patient and have always been treated so well.
IUI was $450-$500 Visits covered by insurance IVF was $7,000 w/o meds Monitoring ultrasounds covered by insurance
I have a history of multiples and complications with that pregnancy so Dr Payne's choice for a single transfer was discussed and agreed upon.
Greenville

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
He [Dr. Payne] read all my files from Germany. He tried to understand all the treatments I did and asked a lot of question. ... He explained me some of my testing from home (Germany) that I run out off eggs. ... He told me about the risk doing it with my own eggs again and ... we will discuss other opportunities later. ... He also told with the history of misscarieges and the test I have that we should check the embryos to make sure it is healthy to avoid more miscarriages and the emotional pain that comes with it. ...
He explained me some of my testing from home (Germany) that I run out off eggs. I was so shocked, because the clinic in Germany told me 3 years ago everything is fine. He told me about the risk doing it with my own eggs again and because wanted to give it a lost shot he told me that we will discuss other opportunities later. First we concentrate on that. He also told with the history of misscarieges and the test I have that we should check the embryos to make sure it is healthy to avoid more miscarriages and the emotional pain that comes with it. I am really disappointed in the German health system and really glad we get a chance here in the USA.
Don’t hesitate to ask you questions, he will answer each one of them. Hewont leave you hanging
He read all my files from Germany. He tried to understand all the treatments I did and asked a lot of question. He also did all the Hormon work, nobody ever bothered to do in Germany. Such a nice person. We are just starting our first round with him now.
Haven’t done a protocol jet. Starting soon.
I love them. So nice. My husband almost passed out giving blood and they came and gave him juice and put an ice pack in his neck. What can I say, just lovely ladies.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I have t seen the surgical area where they do the procedures. But the rest is really nice. Nothing to complaint about. You get an appointment really fast, they help you with the insurance and check everything you need. So that was great. Also about calling you back on your blood work etc. really good and they explained everything and you always could call back if you still had questions.
Can’t say jet. Starting circle in April.
Greenville

Dr. Payne and the nursing staff were very sensitive to my needs and we're always there for me when I had questions. They are like family...My experiences with Dr Payne were always pleasant. He treated me like a human and always made me feel like there was hope for me and my fiance to conceive. I trusted him completely and never doubted anything from him. If I had any questions or didn't understand something he gladly explained it in a way that I would understand. Dr Payne gave me a second chance and for that I will always be grateful.
You won't see him much but him and the nursing staff know what they are doing. Just be patient and trust in them
During my IVF cycle I responded so well to the medicine that they had to keep lowering my dosage. I ended up getting ovarian hyperstimulation but that is probably due to it being my 2nd egg retreival. The doctor made the call on to freeze my embyos and to wait till the next cycle for the transfer. And I'm so glad he did. Not only did he save me money but he allowed for my body to heal some before transferring the embryos. I feel like if he hadn't done that then I would've had a failed transfer
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stehpanie Biggerstaff)
All the nurses at Preg were amazing. They showed compassion toward you and your needs. They are like family and I will still stop by from time to time to show them my boys and to thank them for helping make us a family
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is amazing. Everyone is so nice and the clinic is clean and pretty. Just be patient with them. You think you can go in and just get started on your cycle but everything takes time. They go over everything and make sure you understand all the fees and costs before you start
Meds were around 3-$4000. Egg retrieval and transfer was around $10000 and ultrasounds and extras were probably around $500
My doctor did care about how many was transferred. He let us transfer 2 though because we had already had a failed invocell
Spartanburg

He [Dr. Payne] was honest that he felt my weight was a factor since nothing else seemed to be wrong. Instead of being in it for the money, he suggested I take some time off to work on my weight and try again... took time to explain everything from the very beginning as far as how everything would work and what my chances were to get pregnant with the cycles. He was very positive, and he even seemed surprised that I was not successful after going through my labs. He explained those as well. I really have no complaints about Dr. Payne. During the IUI, he was as gentle as he could be even though I have high tubes and it was not a pleasant experience for me. I do wish he could have been present for all of the visits when they would check for follicles. They were hard to find on my right side.
Dr. Payne took time to explain everything from the very beginning as far as how everything would work and what my chances were to get pregnant with the cycles. He was very positive, and he even seemed surprised that I was not successful after going through my labs. He explained those as well. I really have no complaints about Dr. Payne. During the IUI, he was as gentle as he could be even though I have high tubes and it was not a pleasant experience for me. I do wish he could have been present for all of the visits when they would check for follicles. They were hard to find on my right side.
You will be looked after, but even though he is a good doctor, you may not get the results you want. It's not his fault. He does everything he can.
Dr. Payne was very caring and nurturing and he explained everything in a caring way. He always smiled and seemed to really care if we were successful. After several treatments that we thought would work, we did and IUI and it also did not work. He was honest that he felt my weight was a factor since nothing else seemed to be wrong. Instead of being in it for the money, he suggested I take some time off to work on my weight and try again. I have lost 17 lbs and still trying.
Dr. Payne began by prescribing Clomid at the lowest dosage and moved up after a not so good ovulation cycle. Once he found the right dosage, we were told to do timed intercourse. He explained when to take the shots and I had follicle scans to insure I had enough follicles but not to many to have a safe attempt. After several cycles of Clomid, we changed to Letrazole and got great follicles and did the same timed intercourse. After three attempts with that, we went for an IUI. It was not successful. At that point, our funds were depleting, and he suggested trying to get some weigh off before trying again.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
I absolutely adore Stephanie (Biggerstaff I think her last name is). She would talk to me on the phone as long as I needed when I was upset over unsuccessful attempts, and she worked very hard during my follicle scans. My ovaries are hard to find, and there were times she would be sweating, worn out from trying to get a good look. She is a precious person!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is wonderful, and I actually miss just seeing the people there since I've been taking a break to lose weight. I don't have fertility insurance, so my only problem is the cost or I would have done an IVF already. New patients will love them!
The consulation (I can't remember) I think it was about $975 for all of the work-up and tests. The shots were about $99 I think each month plus the cost of pills $25. The IUI was about $475. The follicle scans each month were between $100-200.
Spartanburg

I was very appreciative of how compassionate and sensitive he [Dr. John Payne] was during my visit for this procedure...never made me rushed or intimidated to ask a question...was very personable and made you feel comfortable to be around. He took his time to explain various procedures and what our chances of conception would be. He was overall very caring and considerate of our feelings.
When I had my HCG procedure done, Dr.Payne was more than ready to address any concerns I had. He was very careful and gentle throughout the procedure. He explained every step he made. Afterwards, Dr.Payne helped me understand that I had no tubal blockage and carefully assured me that I could conceive. I was very appreciative of how compassionate and sensitive he was during my visit for this procedure.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions if there is something medically you don’t understand or comprehend. Dr. Payne never made me rushed or intimidated to ask a question.
Dr.Payne was very personable and made you feel comfortable to be around. He took his time to explain various procedures and what our chances of conception would be. He was overall very caring and considerate of our feelings.
I don’t recall any at this time.
I liked how the nurses at the clinic in Spartanburg were always organized and ready to assist you. They made you feel very comfortable and were also friendly when talking with them. They helped me understand certain things that I had questions about as well.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic’s strengths would be their organization, friendliness, concern, time management, thoroughness, and communication. I don’t have much to say about weaknesses. I don’t recall feeling negative about anything during my visits. I’d recommend new patients to this clinic for sure.
Overall, my husband and I probably spent close to $400 for our tests and procedures (which included a 2 semen analysis, blood tests, and a HCG test).
Spartanburg

He [Dr. Payne] was very helpful, gave me the information needed and primarily, I ended up with a baby. Is hard to know how I would feel if I didn't have a baby, but I think that's what matters. He tried some things to help ensure the process would work, and it did.... [Eset Approach] Because I had already had three failures, we used two. If I were to try again, I would only use 1.... I went through a trial cycle where they tested my uterus in the transfer day
He was very helpful, gave me the information needed and primarily, I ended up with a baby. Is hard to know how I would feel if I didn't have a baby, but I think that's what matters. He tried some things to help ensure the process would work, and it did.
Don't give up hope.
I feel like they really cared.
I do not remember all the details but I went through a trial cycle where they tested my uterus in the transfer day to ensure that they could time it correctly. Then the next month, did it again but with two embryos!
Meghan is the most amazing nurse ever! I cannot say enough good things about her. She cared, understoid the difficulties, and helped me through the process. When I had some bleeding she did everything she could to help me and she encouraged me when I needed it. I am at thankful for her. I did not feel like all the other nurses cared quite the same. I was told they would give me a few samples of medicine if needed, I ran out because my mother in law passed away and vecause of that I was busy and thus late ordering more, I called and was made to feel very bad for asking for a sample so I had to work out another solution on my own - although maybe it was hormones. That was very stressful to deal with when the doctor had told me they would help but I think the nurse just thought I was lazy which maybe was fair but I was having a tough time.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They charged me and my husband for an initial consultation even though they did not really work with my husband because we already had frozen embryos. If I go back, I won't take him to the consultation.

2014 - 2017
Dr. Payne has a very warm bedside manner. He is very compassionate and caring....Dr. John Payne is a very caring and compassionate doctor. He wasn't the first doctor that I saw at the practice; I actually switched to him because I liked him better. He has an excellent bedside manner. He always took the time to answer any questions I had. He is also extremely knowledgeable about infertility. I would highly recommend him to anyone dealing with infertility.
2014 - 2017
I guess I would say something that I think is good advice for dealing with any doctor, that you need to be your own advocate with your health care. Speak up for yourself and don't be afraid to ask any questions.
Dr. Payne has a very warm bedside manner. He is very compassionate and caring.
I don't remember all the details of the cycles because my last full cycle was in 2014, but I do remember the medications used. I started out on birth control pills, then started injecting Lupron, then Gonal-F. And also estrogen patches and progesterone shots. And of course the hCG shot to trigger ovulation. I don't remember doses, but I always responded very well. For my frozen cycles I just did estrogen patches or pills and progesterone.
Stephanie Biggerstaff is the nurse at the Spartanburg office and the IVF coordinator. When I was doing my first IVF cycle in 2012 I only spoke with her on the phone because she was at the Greenville office at the time. When I was trying again in 2014 and 2017 she was the primary nurse at the Spartanburg office. She is truly amazing! She is so compassionate and empathetic. Takes the time to listen and give a hug when you need one. She truly goes the extra mile to make sure each patient receives the best care. I love nurse Stephanie so much that I bring my boys back to visit every so often. She made the infertility journey so much easier.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I can't think of anything but positive to say about PREG! All members of the staff have been very helpful and caring. They usually returned my calls or emails quickly. And have options to help with the cost, like they have an infertility seminar that you can go to once a year and get a coupon for $250 off.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They all always schedule monitoring appointments for early in the morning, so by around 8:30. I don't love having to go to the doctor that early, but it was definitely worth it! Usually when I went for an appointment there was not very many other people waiting.
I had insurance coverage for infertility for all but the last cycle. I don't remember exactly because it's been a while but I believe we paid about $2300 for a full cycle. I think they are $10,000 without insurance coverage. I think I paid about $1700 for the frozen cycles, although we had a low out of pocket max (3000 I think) so when we were trying for our 2nd child we ended up paying nothing for a full cycle, because had already done 2 frozen cycles that year. When we were trying for # 3 in 2017 we no longer had fertility coverage and paid $3100 for a frozen cycle.
Dr. Payne was fine with us transferring two embryos. He left the decision up to us whether we wanted to transfer 1 or 2. I don't think he would have supported transferring more. I feel like he explained the risks well of transferring multiple embryos.
Spartanburg

Dr Payne was a wonderful doctor to work with. He was compassionate and thorough. He explained every procedure and what to expect. He understood any pain or discomfort and helped when needed. He worked with any personal insecurities.
He was very personable. He related to us, rejoiced with us and gave us any hard information with understanding and Grace
The only struggle I had was from the anesthesia used for the retrieval. Everything else was fine. I don't remember all the specifics of medication used. I followed the outline as given.
The entire staff was wonderful,! One nurse I did have as little issue with. I passed out at home and then couldn't hold any fluids down after the retrieval. The nurse I spoke with didn't take care if calling in a script in a timely manner, and wasn't compassionate. I told her beforehand that I don't do well with anesthesia and wasn't taken seriously. Other than that, every nurse I came in contact with was phenomenal!! The ladies in the lab showed genuine concern and took the highest care with me, even though I'm prone to passing out from blood draws, they knew to lay me down and didn't take issue with it.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
PREG twas a fabulous clinic to work with. They take time to talk with you prior to making a decision to use fertility treatments. They give you a cost estimate based on your insurance and then give you suggestions to help with cost reduction (applying for prescription assistance, etc). The front staff gets to know you by name so you are greeted when walking in the door. Everyone rejoices in your success with you and takes care of you when you hot road blocks.
Dr Payne was very insistent on only transferring one embryo the first time as she was the highest possiblequality for a frozen embryo. He wouldn't transfer a second embryo since this was my first cycle and he wanted to do what was the safest for me and my child.
Columbia

I feel that Dr. Payne is very knowledgeable about my conditions and did explain the course of treatment for PCOS and anovulation. He allowed me to make my own decisions regarding how many times I could try a treatment while being realistic on the chances of it being successful. I did not care for the last time that we spoke him pushing IVF but he did explain everything and what to expect with the procedure itself. Of the times we spoke he was very kind and caring.
Research treatments and their success rates. Dr. Payne does not explain success rates in as much detail as he does with IVF.
The ladies in his office always knew my name and asked me personal questions regarding events in my life. I did not see Dr. Payne a lot but when I did he was very personable and I felt wanted to help me through the difficult journey of infertility.
We started our journey with 5 medicated cycles with timed intercourse. My HSG showed bilateral clear tubes and husbands semen analysis was normal with only mild variation in shape. I did not ovulate on my own so the thought was to add follicle stimulation medication. We did one cycle of clomid with no follicles at CD 12 ultrasound and then switched to femara for five cycles. The femara produced one follicle each month which ranged from 20-25mm. A HCG trigger shot was added with each medicated cycle to induce ovulation and three days of intercourse was suggested after administration of trigger shot. We did not conceive on any of the medicated cycles with timed intercourse. Dr. Payne suggested to try a more invasive procedure since the medicated cycles with timed intercourse seemed to not be enough so we tried IUI. The IUI was with femara and the HCG trigger. I produced one 20-25 follicle each cycle and we trigged with the IUI to follow 24 hours later. My husbands semen counts were between 15-23 million each procedure. We were unsuccessful with the IUI procedures. No explanation could be given and Dr. Payne suggested that we move on to an even more invasive procedure such as IVF as the chance for success after any three consecutive treatments is 30%. So here we are.
Stephanie was always very knowledgeable and helpful in answering any questions. She remembered little things about my personal life and made sure to make me feel comfortable at each appointment. She was also very encouraging which helped through the painful journey we were on.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths of the clinic include knowledge on all things infertility and treatments and personal care. The clinic is always kept very clean and appointments are easy to make. One weakness that comes to mind is the call back can sometimes take a little time. They generally return my calls by the end of the day but sometimes it can be the next day when I really need an answer.
Follicle scans were $86 per scan. Lab draws were $45. Semen analysis was $250. IUI procedure was $250.
Spartanburg

He always included me in the plan of care and gave me options to choose from for future cycles! Always answered questions fully and was very knowledgeable answering my questions! Great bedside manners! Dr Payne would sometimes seem rushed when meeting with him, however he was the only doctor at the Spartanburg office and if ever you had further questions after getting home you could always call the office and questions would be answered immediately!
Do not give up no matter how long the process is or how many failures you have to go through!
Dr Payne was always caring and concerned! Never once did he lose hope and faith that one day I will get pregnant and have a healthy pregnancy! He always gave me options to choose from instead of deciding for me and he included me in my plan of care!
For the 3 IUI procedures, I was taking Femara and gonal-f along with a trigger shot! I was not ovulating or producing eggs of great quality and these medications helped that process! For my IVF egg retrieval I was on an antagonist protocol! This worked very well as 19 eggs were retrieved, 16 were mature, 12 fertilized, and 5 made it to day 5 blasts! We were able to do a fresh transfer of 1 Embryo but this cycled failed as well! My first frozen Embryo transfer I was stimulated with estrace, medrol, and progesterone! We plan on transferring only one Embryo!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Biggerstaff )
Stephanie is always so kind and always has a smile on her face! She is there to listen, answer questions, calls back to answer questions or lab results in a timely manner, and is a shoulder to cry on through all the disappointments and failures! She is truely the sweetest person ever! She is a great person to communicate with through this journey! She has touched so many lives and families in ways she will never understand! Truely amazing!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Not a long wait in waiting room never no more than 20 minutes Clean, friendly, and enjoyable atmosphere Convenient locations Convenient appointment times No negative comments at all
the costs of these procedures are extremely expensive however I don't think it's in relation to the office or physician! I feel like, in general, all infertility treatments are extremely expensive! The office would work with you with payments but would not perform procedures until paid in full which would sometimes delay cycles and treatment!
I am a person who is scared of carrying multiples such as twins or triplets because I am a labor and delivery nurse and understand and know the risks of carrying multiples! Dr Payne is very adiment on only transferring just one Embryo for this simple reason! I love that about his plan of care for patients!

2012 - 2017
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Payne was extremely compassionate. He made sure we understood our options and what we could expect. He gave us his thoughts and suggestions but allowed us to make the ultimate the decision. During our retrieval and transfers he was exceptional and explained everything that was happening as it happened.... When doing IVF we planned for a fresh transfer if possible but knew that we may possibly have to freeze (due to PCOS).
2012 - 2017
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Payne was compassionate and friendly. He made sure we understood the process and all potential risks. During all interactions with him he had fantastic bedside manner. He walked us through the retrieval and transfers step-by-step and interacted with us prior to and after each procedure.
You won't always see Dr. Payne at each appointment but when you do see him you will be pleased with the interactions. Ask as many questions as you feel you need to because he won't hesitate to answer and won't make you feel like you're being rushed.
Dr. Payne was extremely compassionate. He made sure we understood our options and what we could expect. He gave us his thoughts and suggestions but allowed us to make the ultimate the decision. During our retrieval and transfers he was exceptional and explained everything that was happening as it happened. HIs staff was friendly and responsive to any and all questions I had during the entire process. I never felt brushed off and I felt like my questions were answered timely and fully
When doing IVF we planned for a fresh transfer if possible but knew that we may possibly have to freeze (due to PCOS). After the stimulation protocol I developed slight hyper-stimulation so Dr. Payne suggested freezing all embryos so that my body could be better prepared for the transfer. Medications included: Leuprolide Acetate, Lose Dose HCG, Cetrotide, Gonal-F, HCG, Progesterone injections, Medrol, estrogen
Stephanie was fantastic to work with. She was responsive to calls and emails and worked to ensure that I had everything I needed. She worked with my insurance company on getting my medications timely and explained everything that I needed to do and what I could expect.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
We never waited long for any appointments or procedures as they ran on time the majority of the time. I always received calls back in a timely manner. All staff members that I interacted with were pleasant and friendly. The staff did a great job of explaining everything they were doing and making me feel comfortable.
Less than $10,000 due to insurance coverage (this included out of pocket costs, deductible, and medications)
The doctor suggested eSET for our first transfer. When that failed he did suggest eSET for our 2nd transfer as well (in addition to an endometrial scratching) but did tell us we could transfer 2 if that's what we chose.

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Payne genuinely cares for his patients however, like any medical professional it is their job and sometimes that is evident as they base everything on statistics and often only gives very "GRAY" answers as nothing is very black and white in relation to answers you receive... I did Femara and Clomid for several cycles that failed. I then did Clomid plus Gonal F for a couple cycles and ultimately had one failed IUI cycle. We then decided to move forward with IVF (as Dr Payne also suggested) and I was on the antagonist protocol where birth control was taken then Gonal F and low dose HCG and Cetrotide was added in. I had retrieval and transfer. However, it failed with transferring two perfect quality embryos.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Payne is a great reproductive endocrinologist. Although I have not yet achieved the ultimate goal being pregnancy, he does genuinely care for his patients and want the best for us. I do wish I saw him more in the office as I go to a satellite campus and it is primarily ran by the nurses(which are amazing), but it's more trusting to see your physician more often. He is ultimately a good MD.
He moves fast! So if you can't comprehend as fast as he is relaying information to you, ask him to repeat things. Also, don't hesitate to ask for further details about things he may share in relation to statistics.
Stephanie is amazing! Literally, she is heaven sent in the field of infertility medicine. She is very compassionate. You never feel rushed. She always answers your questions. She laughs with you and cries with you. She is such a blessing.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic overall is a very organized well ran practice. This practice does strive to meet the standards of ASRM and to provide patients with a pregnancy the quickest and cheapest route. They are willing to help with finances occasionally if able! I like this practice a lot.
The Femara and Clomid was not that expensive. However, the gonal F is very expensive around 1000 per cycle it is used for stims during TI and IUI. During IVF, the expenses end up being around 10-20K for a normal cycle. Other test like genetic testing, etc are additional cost of around 4-5K. Infertility is not cheap. It is definitely a financial burden for all families undergoing this treatment.
He strongly recommends eSET if you have good quality embryos and are less than 35. However, I went with my gut understanding the risk with potential multiples....and as mentioned previously, transferred two perfect embryos and i am <35 and it did not result in a pregnancy.

15 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Payne took us through a lot of diagnostics, but did not identify that my wife has the MTHFR gene. We did several IUI cycles with him, and we had to do an I&C with him as well. Those were all completed with proficiency, to be sure, but didn't result in a pregnancy.... Dr. Payne explained the rationale and treatment plan to us in detail when we first met with him. We started off with a not-so-great feeling once we were informed that the treatment plan would not be personalized to our needs and that we would follow a predetermined treatment plan that they use for every patient.
15 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Payne explained the rationale and treatment plan to us in detail when we first met with him. We started off with a not-so-great feeling once we were informed that the treatment plan would not be personalized to our needs and that we would follow a predetermined treatment plan that they use for every patient. We worked with PREG for about a year before we had had enough and sought out another clinic. Dr. Payne communicates well, and is kind to his patients. However, we just didn't feel like any of our treatment was personalized to our situation, and when we expressed our desire to take a different approach we felt that we weren't heard by Dr. Payne.
I would advise you to seek out a different clinic and a different Doctor. Dr. Payne has clearly had some success, but the clinic's overall philosophy does not include an individualized treatment plan for its patients.
PREG utilizes a formulaic approach to all fertility treatment patients. There is no personalized care, rather they take every patient through what is basically a flow chart of treatment. We did not feel a personal touch in any way from this clinic, and the bedside manner was missing completely. There was no discussion or concern about my wife's mental state whatsoever. On top of our poor experience with the doctors themselves and their treatment plans, none of the treatments resulted in a pregnancy.
Depending on the nurse that was assisting us that day, we had mixed feelings. Some of the nurses were very compassionate and gave us personal attention. Others were very business like and just wanted to get you in and out.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths would include a large network of clinics that share information, well-qualified doctors and an office with a nice atmosphere. Weaknesses include their overall approach to treatment - which is to say, it is not personalized at all to the patient. Every patient that comes in follows the same basic treatment plan. In our experience, that plan is not very exhaustive and ignores information gained via diagnostics that could point to the actual issue. Whatever that issue is, you're going to go through the same treatment plan as everyone else.
I don't remember the specifics, but in general the IUI's were pretty affordable. Less than $1,000 per cycle.

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Dr. Payne was very upfront from the beginning of the experience. I am overweight and he let me know that, no, I didn't have to lose weight, but if I did, it would be healthier. I never felt pressured to lose weight or that he wouldn't perform the procedure. When he learned my husband was a large part of the problem, he did everything he could to make sure we understood his condition. He was born without his vas defrens, meaning that he had no pathway for the sperm to get out. There were multiple semen analyses done in order to make sure there were no unnecessary procedures done. He took extra care to explain what would happen with the procedure my husband had to remove the sperm because it was my husband's first surgery and he was nervous. He also had nurses come to the waiting room to inform me of how things were going. The only thing I was not 100% satisfied with was that, though we did have an absolutely amazing experience and would choose him every time, he always felt a bit rushed. Im not sure if that was just his peraonality, always going, or if the facility had multiple patients scheduled around a certain time, but he always seemed to give us all the information we needed and asked for in a quick manner. Now don't mistake that as he didn't stay if we needed him. If we had additional questions, he stayed and answered them. It didn't appear to bother him, he never seemed unhappy to have to stay longer with us, and he never sent someone else in to answer our questions. He was just constantly moving with purpose.
Come in with a list of questions and a pen. This is for any doctor you see at PREG but especially Payne. He answers your questions quickly and moves on to the next topic so if you have a list of questions when you go in, you can make sure those questions are answered (write what he says next to the question for easy reference!) And you can also wrote down other questions that arise while he is talking if you don't want to interrupt him and go back to those questions at the end. Basically just make sure anything you wanted to know, you have written down.
I had previously seen another doctor at PREG as well as an RE in another location close by. With the first doctor at PREG (Dr. Nichols), I was slightly younger and my husband (who at the time was my boyfriend) worked 12-hour shifts 7am-7pm so most of the time, he was unable to accompany me. Though he and I had been together for 4-5 years, I felt as though I wasn't taken seriously by Dr. Nichols. He would not discuss anythi mg with me without my partner present and constantly stated we would talk more when my partner was able to be there. I felt patronized. With the second doctor at a different facility, I met with him only once before he called me over the weekend to inform me, in his exact words, that I was "too fat to get pregnant naturally" and that if I were willing to go on the program he and his wife were on, he would consider IVF for me. Dr. Payne was different. I went back to PREG and stated I wanted to be seen by any doctor other than Nichols, and they obliged. Dr. Payne took the time to get to know my husband and I together and separate since we had to go for different thimgs throughout the procedure. He was also frank with us when we asked about our chances, how everything could go, what his plan was, etc. He was an open book and even though he told us realistically our chances, he remained optimistic that we would be pregnant successfully. When we saw our first heartbeat, there were two and he told us that though it was exciting, there was still a chance of an early miscarriage for one or both. We did end up losing one of the twins and he comforted us but took great care in making sure the one we did have was healthy and stable to the best of his ability.
I don't remember specifics. I know I was on birth control for a few weeks to trick my body into having a period (they are extremely irregular-- I could have one every month or not have one for 2 years). Once I had my period, I began injections for egg retrieval and growth. I then took estrogen, estrace, and progesterone to keep the embryo happy in my uterus. Without specifics, I remember taking lupron, gonal-f, the estrogen and estrace, progesterone-in-oil, and some other pills throughout the cycle.
The nurses were absolutely amazing. They knew us by name and we felt more like a family. They always included both me and my husband in everything that was discussed, they allowed us to be together if one of us was uncomfortable, they laughed with us... They were amazing during this time!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Alma is the front desk coordinator and she will be your main point of contact. Make friends with her. The clinic is always clean and had very relaxing music playing, usually something along the lines of light rock. There are several things that they do throughout the year, such as Christmas wishes, where you can bring a wish written and put into a clear ornament and it will hang on their Christmas tree for good luck. They are very inclusive. All around the office there are pictures and thank-you cards from successful patients and their new bundles of joy. Make sure you make them one. The one weakness that we ever experienced, we made well-known to the clinic and they handled the situation. We were in the beginnijng stages and were discussing treatment options with one of the nurses and she said something along the lines Of, "you should take mijne for a day. You wouldn't want to be here and sure wouldn't want twins." I left in tears and my husband was furious because she was working in an office where literally EVERYBODY's point there was to get pregnant, and she made snide comments about her own child and how we wouldn't want one after that. We brought it to the attention of the staff and though she is no longer employed, that comment sticks with me.
My insurance covered a good bit thankfully, but that isn't always the case. We paid out-Of-pocket for our medications (about 4500) as well as for each ultrasound (usually between 150-300). We also paid a portion of the actual cost which totaled about 7000 after insurance. We had financing to cover this.
We were warned that multiple embryo transfer could lead to a higher chance of multiples and were told that having a multiple pregnancy was more risky, but ultimately it was our decision and we went through with transferring two embryos.

12 Eggs Frozen
1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Dr. Payne is very knowledgeable about cancer and how his treatments may have affected me. He was cautious about the amount of treatment (injections) he was giving me. I could see that he was very concerned. Even when I had to see another doctor once because he was out of the office, he made sure that I would be comfortable with the doctor and he checked to see how things went when he returned. I'm praying Dr. Payne will still be available when I move forward with having a baby. I can't think of one weakness to share about Dr. Payne. Just an overall great doctor!
12 Eggs Frozen
1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Be prepared to be pampered and have a doctor that actually listens and addresses your concerns.
Dr. Payne took the time to understand my personal situation. He knew how important egg retrieval was to me and he treated the situation with care. He took the time to research and understand the treatment I was about to undergo for breast cancer treatment. He even called to check and see how things were going. I couldn't ask for more.
I don't remember all of the strategies, but I can say that he made sure the treatments were of minimal affect on the breast cancer situation. He made sure he did not give me anything that would have made things much worse. He even contacted my doctor to make sure his treatment strategies would be suitable.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Thomason)
The nursing staff was really good. Everyone from the receptionist to the lady who drew my blood to the lady who did all my paperwork. I was always greeted with a smile and they always asked how I was feeling. They even listened to me rant and rave about my newly diagnosed cancer situation. I felt very comfortable with the nursing staff, nurse, and care coordinator.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths - Very personable staff. Office temperature is nice (not freezing). Never overlycrowded when I went at my appointment time. They always call and give results or further instructions when necessary. Weakness - I still can't think of a weakness.

Anovulation, Other
Dr. Payne is very knowledgeable, compassionate, and thorough. He changes the course of treatment if there is ever a problem for any reason and always tries to choose the most cost effective method that will get results. There were some times I left the clinic, however, not 100% sure of the next step in the process. ... Dr. Payne has been the first doctor ever (I have consulted several doctors) to go into as much depth to try to resolve this.
Anovulation, Other
Take good notes about treatment and double check with him or the nurse before you leave
Dr. Payne listens to your concerns and works with you the best way possible to cover everything
I was tried on letrozole, clomid, and low-dose gonal-f for ovulation induction. Unfortunately, none of these worked and I will have to move on to IVF, but Dr. Payne has been the first doctor ever (I have consulted several doctors) to go into as much depth to try to resolve this.
All of the nursing staff are very friendly and helpful
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The overall feel of this clinic is friendly. The waiting room is very well decorated and doesn't feel as much like a doctor's waiting room as some other clinics. The reception staff are excellent and learn your name after the first few visits. All of the nurses, administrative staff, lab staff, and financial counselors have been nothing but cheery and helpful. The only thing I would critique about the clinic is the need for written instructions to take home post-visit with medication doses and duration, most common side effects, next visit date, etc.
sperm analysis - $130 vaginal ultrasound - $180 consultation - $80 hsg - $600
Greenville

We trust Dr Payne with our treatment and so far it's been a good experience. As we further the treatment I believe we'll continue to receive a high level of care. He's been very informative and goes into detail about each step of the process and ensures that we get the chance to ask whatever questions we may have.... We were told that we will be great candidates for traditional IVF. So we don't have to use any nontraditional methods. We will do hormone treatment to prepare to retrieve eggs then get embryos naturally. Then we should be able to use day 3 or day 5 embryos for the IVF. After that it should proceed as normal.
Be open and honest with all of your questions and concerns. And don't be hesitant to express anything you might not be sure about.
He is courteous and explains the process and expectations very well. Seems to understand the delicate nature of the situation.
The staff is kind and friendly. They're very helpful and organized as well. They make sure to call ahead for appointments and cancellations. The financial staff is very knowledgeable and does a great job of explaining the process and costs involved.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic itself has been great. No complaints at all. It's a good environment and all the staff is friendly and courteous. They ensure that you are well taken care of and informed about the entire process.
Between $8,000 and $13,000
We haven't gotten far enough into the process with Dr Payne to have a detailed comment yet.
Greenville

We opted to have IVF with eggs retreived and then frozen due to the percent of pregnancy rate going up in probability. This was advised [by Dr. John Payne] as our best option...We had 9 Eggs retrieved. 3 we're viable. They all didn't survive. He is now suggesting a second round...He is very friendly and professional...He is good at what he does. He very professional and concerned with my wife's care and the care of our future family. He may have gone into too much detail but he was able to communicate in a fashion that I understood.
Be ready for the amount of information and be ready for sticker shock.
He is very friendly and professional. You can tell he has a family and knows how important it is for couples during this hard time. At least I felt that way.
We opted to have IVF with eggs retreived and then frozen due to the percent of pregnancy rate going up in probability. This was advised as our best option. My wife did the shots treatment which I compassionately administered. We had 9 Eggs retrieved. 3 we're viable. They all didn't survive. He is now suggesting a second round.
They are the most friendly nurses I've ever run across. They're very professional and very informative as well as compassionate at the same time. They also have a good sense of humor.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I can't think of too many weaknesses other than the normal IVF astronomical costs involved. Their strengths are cleanliness, professionalism, compassion, sense of humor to put you at ease. They all seem to be on the same page and have the same amount of information regardless of the amount of questions that you bring to them.
Out of pocket: $6500 for IVF procedures and checkups. $7-8000 for medications reduced 75% using aid. Charged in insurance $?
We've only been given the option of single embryo.
Spartanburg

Dr. Payne is incredibly down to earth. He takes the time to make sure the patient understands exactly where they are in their fertility journey, and clearly outlines the steps going forward. He treated us like individuals, getting to know us and understand where we have been, where we want to go, and what our restrictions are.... We especially appreciated his candor when explaining our course of treatment and the potential setbacks. He always made sure we understood all aspects of the process before leaving his office.
Dr. Payne is an amazing specialist. He knows the process inside and out, and helped us understand the course of treatment. We especially appreciated his candor when explaining our course of treatment and the potential setbacks. He always made sure we understood all aspects of the process before leaving his office.
Take notes! He knows so much and talks pretty fast. Don't be afraid to slow him down or have him repeat something.
The treatment began with fertility pills and an ovulation trigger shot for three cycles. We then moved to the same medicine regimen, but added IUI for two additional cycles. Process is still in progress.
All the nurses are great. They all have such positive attitudes, its contagious.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
This clinic is very friendly to all patients. Their billing is easy and accurate, and they are very flexible with appointments. The only weakness we have seen is the admin/nurses lose track of where patients are in their treatment regimen and don't really offer advice/guidance on the next steps. Several times we had to ask for it, but when asked, they were ready to provide everything we needed.
I don't have specifics
Dr. Payne recommended single transfer for us, based on our current situation. He mentioned multiple transfer, but said we didn't need it. He got to know us and recommended the treatment that was best for us specifically. A huge plus knowing that he took the time to know us and what the best course would be.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Payne is always available when I have any questions or concerns. He listened to my thoughts and made decisions that would benefit me the best. He is very personable and has great beside manner.... Originally we attempted Femera to help with ovulation, due to my irregular cycles we hoped this would help with timing ovulation. The pills did not work so we sat down again to see what our next step should be. We tried IUI the next cycle with the Femera and HCG trigger shot. That cycle also resulted in a negative pregnancy test. Due to my multiple miscarriages I was advised that IVF would be my next choice.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Payne and I have a great patient/doctor relationship he always listens no matter what thought I have. He makes sure that I was not trying things that would not benefit me. He is very understanding and sensitive to what I'm going through.
Trust him and be patient this is a long journey.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie-IVF Coordinator )
All of the nursing staff was amazing, I probably called the office a 1,000 times and each time they were pleasant. Stephanie never made me feel like I was bothersome or annoying. I enjoy everyone in the office all the way to the front desk.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: Friendly, Knowledgeable, Understanding, Hard working, Clean Office setting, Several Options available for Fertility Treatment. Weaknesses: Sometimes it takes a while to speak with the Financial Adviser.
HSG-$350 IUI$153 Ultrasound-$50 Blood Work-$50
Spartanburg

Dr. Payne is an exceptional doctor. When we first came to his office he ran all the necessary tests and let us choose the direction we wanted to go without any bias. When I had some complications he was there for me. I ended up making a trip to the ER and Dr. Payne talked to the ER doctor and made sure they took care of me. After my embryo transfer he called me personally and checked on me. I got pregnant during my first round of IVF but had a miscarriage at 16 weeks. When I went to see Dr. Payne after the miscarriage he allowed me to cry in his office. He offered me comfort and time to heal. When I left he hugged me and told me to call him if and when I wanted to try IVF again.
Do it. Talk to him and know that your in good hands!
Dr. Payne was always pleasant. He answered all our questions and let us know what to expect through our IVF process.
The treatment he used was straight forward. It helped me get pregnant.
The nursing staff is top notch. They are friendly, caring, and very knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff is unbelievably nice. There are multiple locations so that can be beneficial. There may be some travel involved because not all offices can perform the retrieval and transfers. All the staff is extremely friendly and knowledgeable.
The price for ultrasounds, blood work, retrevial, transfer
Greenville

He [Dr. John Payne] was fine, but I hardly ever saw him. At least he was open to my thoughts about trying IUI at my age, though he had discussed IVF with me. I told him that wasn't an option because I had only set aside a certain amount of money to "just see what happens". He respected that and so we went ahead. However, I had only seen him in passing after that. Most of my time was spent with the nurses.
He was fine, but I hardly ever saw him. At least he was open to my thoughts about trying IUI at my age, though he had discussed IVF with me. I told him that wasn't an option because I had only set aside a certain amount of money to "just see what happens". He respected that and so we went ahead. However, I had only seen him in passing after that. Most of my time was spent with the nurses.
Ask all of your questions and them some because he will answer them.
I only saw him once and that was during my initial consultation.
I got IUI 3 times. I didn't have any history (not really) of infertility other than I'm single. You can't make a baby with just an egg, you know. Anyway, we knew that because of my age and my DOR that it might not be possible to get pregnant, but we went with IUI anyway. IVF would've been the better way to go, but not at those prices.
They were friendly enough when it came to my inseminations. They always checked everything to make sure I was getting what I was supposed to get. They were...nurses.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strength: There's always someone on staff to help you, even when you're frustrated about your treatment. They get things resolved. Weakness: There's something very "assembly line" about the whole process, I supposed. I also wished they had elaborated more on their donor embryo program, too. It was mentioned once and never again. At least that's cheaper than IVF.
About $4500
My doctor didn't go that approach.

1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
[Dr. John Payne] Checked hormone levels and tube for opening. Checked male factor infertility. That was the big issue and also PcOS. Tube was fine. Due to male infertility, IVF was recommended as first course of action. I visited and they measured lining thickness and egg size often. The retrieval went great and all 5 embryos (my choice) were quality. We implanted 2 each time and 1 of each transfer made it.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Kind, knowledgeable, professional. Was trustworthy. I had a great experience. I was impressed at how the little details they saw were important. Lining thickness etc. I had overstimulation and they took great care of me.
Trust the process. You can expect him to be professional and kind but not overly emotional.
Treated me kindly was thorough and empathetic. However the workup list seemed routine to all patients bc receptionists schedule what is needed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Polowczuk)
She was fabulous. Caring, explained everything and felt like a member of the family. She walked us through the finances, medicine, appointments and took amazing care of our family.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Weakness. Some doctors are a little blunt. The process can feel non specific at times. Strengths, caring, professional, successful outcomes. I live out of state but still plan to go back to them for the last embryo. They're like family. Completely trust them.
I think $10k for first IVF round. Medications on top of that. About $3000 for the second round which was FET
He recommended 2 based on my age.

2013 - 2015
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor
Dr Payne was always honest and caring with my husband and me. He was always very understanding of my specific issues and situation....He was honest, caring, and took time to explain things in a way that was understandable. After my losses due to incompetent cervix he was there for me. He also helped me understand the need and reasons to wait before trying to conceive again.... He assessed everything including my husband’s fertility prior to ivf.
2013 - 2015
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor
Be ready to get going, because Dr. Payne is there to help.
He assessed everything including my husband’s fertility prior to ivf. He did not want to use too much hormones to stimulate me before egg retrieval. This produced less eggs but enough, and it was less risky. Because of my husband’s low sperm count and motility, we also had to have icsi on my eggs.
The nursing staff was always very easy to talk to. They weee also caring and compassionate and helped me navigate the whole ivf process.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
This clinic has several offices which makes it easier to get an appointment. All the offices seem very nice and up to date. All office staff was helpful and accommodating. I would recommend Greenville office above all others as it houses the embryology portion of treatment.
The first live session including medications was around $13000. The second frozen transfer was around $7000
Dr. Payne did allow me to transfer two embryos each time. Both times, only one embryo implanted.

2012
Dr. Payne made sure we understood everything that was happening. I never had a bad experience. I had to have my tubes reverses and he explained the risks, but we proceeded. And it was a success! He is our Angel! I can't even put into words how much he means to us. ... Dr. Payne was amazing. I had little hope when I came to him. He made me feel like he really cared and wanted to make sure we were successful.
2012
To be very honest and accepting so Dr. Payne can access the situation and make the best decisions for you.
Dr. Payne was amazing. I had little hope when I came to him. He made me feel like he really cared and wanted to make sure we were successful. He gave me my miracle baby. The one I waited so long for. The one I never thought would be possible. I can't thank him enough. He has such a warm caring heart. He helped us in such a manner that could never be thanked as it would be.
We reversed my tubes, and then I had to take clomid. That didn't work alone so then we tried that along with Ovidril injections. Our 3rd try, it was successful!
Amazing. Kind. Understanding. Passionate about their patients.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Very clean. Organized. Staff was very helpful. Caring. Treated us like family. They always wore big smiles. They were very informative. The offices were always clean and fresh. Warming. I would absolutely recommend this clinic to anyone seeking treatment.
16,000 was total cost. My insurance covered all but 500.
I do not.
Greenville

Dr. Payne was thoughtful to my individual needs. He used charts to explain things to me that I didn’t fully understand. He made me feel hopeful of the process of trying to conceive a child. He also validated my feelings of frustration along the process....I was prescribed Femera on cycle days 3-8, then Ovidrel to trigger ovulation. Timed intercourse was my main method of treatment.... Took time to explain things to me, but office was always so busy. Not much time during visits all the time.
Be patient. Ask lots of questions. Remain hopeful.
Thoughtful, kind, reassuring.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths: ease of scheduling appointments around my work schedule. Weaknesses: busy at times, appointment times don’t always begin on time. Because of the unpredictable time frames of my cycle, I have to rearrange my work schedule for appointments. When appointments aren’t starting on time, this leads to not ending on time, and I have to rearrange the rest of my day.
I am completely selfpay except for lab work. Each visit has its own cost. Follicle scan $190 Baseline ultrasound $280 Medications varies Followup with Dr. $125 Bloodwork/progesterone $105
Greenville

John [Dr. Payne] shares all the information I need to help me in this process. He’s always happy to spend extra time with my husband and I when we need it. When I was in the operating room, John made me feel comforted and helped me to make jokes and laugh even when I was nervous. He never made me uncomfortable or scared when I was getting the retrieval or any other procedure.
John shares all the information I need to help me in this process. He’s always happy to spend extra time with my husband and I when we need it. When I was in the operating room, John made me feel comforted and helped me to make jokes and laugh even when I was nervous. He never made me uncomfortable or scared when I was getting the retrieval or any other procedure.
Listen to what he says and ask as many questions as possible because he will spend a lot of time with you.
John always takes time to talk with me, make me feel comfortable and answer any questions I have.
I was given a print out of all the meds and times to take them. It was well described to me what to do. I had mood swings with the medicines but nothing that would hinder me from continuing the process.
They always helped me and took time with me when I had questions
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is very involved with patients and wants to help in any way. They are always happy and make the mood of the office very happy. They treat patients like family and care for needs and genuinely want to meet those needs.
Greenville

We liked Dr. Payne overall. Didn’t see him for every procedure but we didn’t expect to and that was okay. The doctors in the practice work closely together so we felt comfortable with any of them. Actually preferred having multiple people invested in our treatment...He knew who we were and remembered things about us that were not relevant to treatment - like where my husband works....We used an aggressive micro dose flare protocol. Lupron, low dose HCG, Gonal-F.
Ask plenty of questions - he is good at explaining but doesn’t necessarily give all the info unless you specifically ask.
We used an aggressive micro dose flare protocol. Lupron, low dose HCG, Gonal-F.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay)
She is excellent - fully explained IVF process, medications, timeline. Was always available for questions and genuinely cared about how we were doing during the whole process.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Overall it is great. Sometimes crowded and long wait times but the staff, nurses and doctors are always helpful and professional.
We had some insurance coverage for our IVF cycle. Ended up paying about $8000 out of pocket, including medications.
We only had 2 viable embryos so transferred both. The clinic offers eSET but we didn’t feel it was the right choice for us.
Greenville

Dr. Payne was very receptive to my needs. He was as detailed as I needed during our discussions. He really listened to our concerns and made us feel comfortable with our plan of action. We are yet to conceive but feel confident we are headed in right direction under Dr. Payne's care.... I was frustrated with my experience early on due to the office staff. I expressed my concerns and Dr. Payne contacted me after hours one night and talked with me for nearly an hour.
Just ask questions!
Because I have PCOS we started off using only oral medications and trigger shots to force ovulation. We did that for 5 months. We did our first round of IUI last week...too early for results just yet.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Emilie Smith)
Emilie Smith is the nurse practitioner that does all of our ultrasound scans. She also did our IUI. She is absolutely AMAZING! I email her constantly with questions and she is always quick to respond. She's also super friendly!
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The office I go to was recently merged with PREG. There have definitely been some pains with that but they seem to be getting better.
IUI approximately $900

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Warm, friendly, patient, and great at explaining every step. We would recommend Dr. Payne to anyone in a heartbeat. He made a very difficult, emotional situation tolerable. Good bedside manner and wonderful doctor.... We started simple and worked our way up from there. Dr. Payne explained every step and gave us the option to skip steps if we felt more comfortable. We chose to start simple as he suggested and tried the least invasive option first, and then moved on from there if it did not work. As a result, we conceived one healthy baby girl.
European, Latino
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Use Dr. Payne. You will not be disappointed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Tori)
Tori was amazing. From beginning to end, she was patient with us, always smiling, answered our 1000s of questions, and even gave us her email address and phone number so that we could reach her quickly.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Strengths - friendly, understanding, warm staff; clean facility. Almost always saw a physician at appointments Weaknesses - sometimes very long wait in the waiting room for appointments--must plan accordingly around work schedules.
Columbia

Dr. Payne was great. He was kind, smart, and patient with us. He seemed like he'd be flexible if you wanted to try something different. He was competent, but not arrogant. I never got the feeling that he was too busy to talk with us. We'd tried IUI several times at a different clinic, but he recommended IVF and it worked!... Dr. Payne treated us like intelligent people. He didn't talk down to us. He took time to answer our questions.
Watch out for some of the other doctors
We did one cycle of IUI that did not work. Since we'd done a couple of IUI cycles elsewhere, we moved on to IVF. We ended up with 5 viable embryos. We transferred one embryo. Now we have a healthy and happy 15 month old daughter!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Catalano)
Lindsay was a caring nurse who took time out to answer my emails. She didn't always seem super knowledgeable, but perhaps she was still learning. Some of the office staff were a little clueless.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The staff in the Asheville, NC office (where I went the most) were kind of clueless. They never told me the next steps or scheduled the next appointment unless I was persistent about asking. You really have to take control of your own treatment because the staff won't walk you through it.
I think it all cost around $20,000
Since it worked, I'm glad we did single embryo transfer. Twins would have been difficult.
Spartanburg

He's [Dr. John Payne] nice and gives you some information you need, but I was hoping for more in terms of things I might be able to do on my own that would increase my chances of getting pregnant. Instead, I had to go to online forums and places like that to learn about stuff like DHEA and whether or not it would work. I couldn't afford IVF or donor eggs, so things like that were my only option and they weren't explored...I was on clomid at 100mg and doing IUI each time.
He's nice and gives you some information you need, but I was hoping for more in terms of things I might be able to do on my own that would increase my chances of getting pregnant. Instead, I had to go to online forums and places like that to learn about stuff like DHEA and whether or not it would work. I couldn't afford IVF or donor eggs, so things like that were my only option and they weren't explored.
Go in armed with your questions no matter how ludicrous they may sound. You're the patient who's most likely paying out of pocket, so get everything you can out of all your visits.
My insurance seemed to be the only thing that mattered. Also, LONG wait times in the office.
I was on clomid at 100mg and doing IUI each time.
They were fine. The IUIs were more painful than I remembered with my last RE.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Watch your bills. You'll end up with a different price every time you come. Also, keep an eye on your records because I've had a few times where thing either had to get confirmed and the left hand wasn't talking to the right hand. KNOW YOUR PROTOCOL.
About $550 per visit. That price never seemed to stay the same though.
Greenville

Dr. Payne set out a pregnancy plan from A-Z and was clear and thorough. Although he almost gave me a heart attack with the suggestion, he actually convinced me to carry mine and my wife's first child... I was on Clomid the first cycle and it ended with a negative pregnancy. The dose was increased the second time, and I have a healthy, happy 2-year old. We also did an injection to prompt ovulation.
Dr. Payne set out a pregnancy plan from A-Z and was clear and thorough. Although he almost gave me a heart attack with the suggestion, he actually convinced me to carry mine and my wife's first child :)
He will put you at ease.
Dr. Payne and his entire staff made us feel like we were the only person in the office. They are caring and compassionate and will do whatever you need to put you at ease during the process.
They are the best!!! They go out of their way to make you feel at ease.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The office in Spartanburg is small so you have to go to Greenville for the procedures. That is the most inconvenient thing. Other than that, the Spartanburg office is convenient and they work with your schedule to get you in and out.
We had fertility insurance so the most expensive cost was the initial bloodwork. After that, everything was covered at 70%.

2012 - 2015
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
He [Dr John Payne] gave me the information I needed and made recommendations that made sense....The interactions in the office are mainly with the nurses and they are fantastic! They take the time and are easy to reach even by email. I don't feel that I had as much of a relationship with the Doctor as I did with them....You won't see him {Dr Payne] a ton but will see him when necessary.
2012 - 2015
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
He gave me the information I needed and made recommendations that made sense.
You won't see him a ton but will see him when necessary.
Aggressive stim cycle due to diminished ovarian reserve. Recommendation to start supplements and acupuncture 3 months prior. This was second cycle of IVF we did. I only had 5 eggs and 3 that were viable and transferred but this cycle resulted in a healthy baby. The first cycle was 3 years prior, we weren't as aggressive and I had more eggs retrieved and fertilized but no pregnancy.
The best! They still email Me to see how the pregnancy is going.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Smaller setting where you are treated like a person. Everyone knows your name when you get there and is so supportive!
Cost for the IVF was $10,000 but between the first appointments and then medications we spent a total of about 18,000.

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr Payne was very kind and compassionate and always made sure my care was tailored to individual needs...Very knowledgeable...Truly cares about his patients and explains everything thoroughly throughout your entire infertility journey. Makes you feel as though no question is too silly to ask and puts all of your concerns at ease...we have so far used a combination of femera, timed intercourse, IUI, and trigger shots.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Very knowledgeable and kind professional . Truly cares about his patients and explains everything thoroughly throughout your entire infertility journey. Makes you feel as though no question is too silly to ask and puts all of your concerns at ease.
I am still on my infertility journey however we have so far used a combination of femera, timed intercourse, IUI, and trigger shots.
The nursing staff is very good at explaining ever procedure and making you feel as if they are in this journey with you. They promptly answer and return phone calls and help to keep your care organized.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Every part of this clinic is excellent from the front office staff to the doctors and nurses. Very clean facility and the different locations makes it easy to plan for appointments around a busy work and life schedule.
Spartanburg

Dr Payne explains everything and is very honest but also compassionate. He wants to work with you to try and reach the goal of creating a family. He answers any questions that you have about any of the tests or paths that you can take.... Just go in and tell him all your past history. Bring any labs or medications and ask questions... Just go in and tell him all your past history. Bring any labs or medications and ask questions
He explained things and took my emotions into account.
I have tried using fertility medication and done an IUI which lead to a pregnancy however it was a miscarriage
They call back to answer questions in a timely manner. They are very compassionate and answer any questions that I have
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are great nice friendly staff who call you back in a timely manner and greet you when you come in the door. They explain things to where you can understand and are willing to listen to you.and answer any questions you have.
Asheville

He [Dr. John Payne] is kind and caring. He loves veterans. He doesn’t rush you in any appointment that you have. He accepts tricare for workup medical and took me on short notice from Nichols. He has children of his own and proudly tells you about them if asked. He has a love for getting people to have their dreams come true of having children
He is kind and caring. He loves veterans. He doesn’t rush you in any appointment that you have. He accepts tricare for workup medical and took me on short notice from Nichols. He has children of his own and proudly tells you about them if asked. He has a love for getting people to have their dreams come true of having children
Dr. Payne has seen me twice. He knew me and my wife when we entered his office the second time. He had a plan. He took his time. He is a lover of veterans and didn’t rush us in any way during any procedure.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Numbers that doctors say and websites say aren’t what you are given in finance. I was expecting and had saved a certain number for simply Ivf- but then i was given completely different numbers. Not a bad thing just a shock- and I’ve had to delay my simply Ivf in order to save more.
Just for work ups it’s been $800 range.
My only concern is he said he will only place one embryo in any Ivf cycle with me. I have concerns that this isn’t a health thing and more of a come back again to do more drugs and another implanting... I haven’t discussed this with him yet but will see if he will do two to have a higher chance of initial success.
Greenville

Dr. Payne spent a lot of time when we first met explaining the different things that could cause infertility and the the different test we would do to rule out any causes. He also explained each procedure in great detail and always answered our questions. He is very compassionate and and accommodating to our specific needs.... He is very busy so book in advance and he will spend time explaining things so don’t be in a rush to leave.
Dr. Payne has always been very personable and accommodating to our specific needs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay )
The majority of the staff has been very friendly, caring and informative.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Very accommodating with schedules, friendly, informative. Appointment reminders were so helpful during the Ivf process those would have also been helpful during iui. Jackie in the lab is the absolute sweetest. Financial department is always very helpful when request costs etc.
I was Encouraged to do a single embryo transfer my first cycle, due to my age, weight and being first transfer. We elected to transfer two. Dr. Payne respected our decision but also reminded us our goal is one healthy baby at a time.

IUI, Donor Sperm
Even though I’m part of the LGBT community and a single parent, he [Dr. John Payne] treated me like any other patient.... I personally think that Dr. Payne has no weaknesses. I wasn’t educated at all when it came to infertility, and after one visit I got a clear understanding of everything. He told me what I should be expecting the next appointment. He also educated me on the medical history of the sperm donors.
Black or African-American, Native American
IUI, Donor Sperm
He’s a great Doc. You can open up to him about fertility questions.
Even though I’m part of the LGBT community and a single parent, he treated me like any other patient.
He didn’t prescribe any medication because I’m a healthy 20 y/o with no fertility issues.
They are kind and extremely helpful.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Same as the strengths of the doc. I mean everybody’s so kind and helpful. I didn’t wait that long to talk to the doc. I was late 30 minutes to my appointment and they still squeezed me in. The clinic’s atmosphere is so welcoming
My insurance does not cover any of my expenses so PREG prices for the ones that are like me are affordable. Costs goes down about $100-$300 more.
Columbia

He [Dr. John Payne] was wonderful and very professional on every area of treatment I received, this doctor goes above and beyond for his patients and ensure that they receive the best quality of care I have truly enjoyed my experience here at preg center and most of all my caring doctor John Payne.... This doctor was spectacular on informing me on my needs and he was delicate on informing me of my chances
He was wonderful and very professional on every area of treatment I received, this doctor goes above and beyond for his patients and ensure that they receive the best quality of care I have truly enjoyed my experience here at preg center and most of all my caring doctor John Payne
Listen to him he is always on the point
We are still working on everything
They were exceptional in the job performance
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
This clinic is spectacular and willing to help and encourage their clients through their time, this clinic goes to the extreme to make sure all questions have been answered and the patient is secure and comfortable
They were reasonable, a bit expensive
We are still working on the results

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
He [Dr. Payne] is very warm, understanding, and helpful.... We really have enjoyed working with him and he has given hope! He has helped us understand the process and what we need to do to conceive. He has been there when we were confused and helped us find the answers we need. He never makes us feel uncomfortable with the Information we don’t have. We look forward to working with him more.... Testing for possible road blocks to conceiving.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Be open... let him know all your history and what is going on with your health now.
He is very warm, understanding, and helpful.
Testing for possible road blocks to conceiving.
They are understanding and prompt. They are very knowledgeable and helpful.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are very informative and let you know all you options. They get back to you promptly. Also if you feel there is a problem they will see you and help guide you through. They make you feel understood and comfortable with the process.
They let you know the cost upfront and different options for assistance.
Greenville

Dr Payne really seemed to have an invested interest. At one appointment, he mentioned discussing our care as part of a conference call. It made me feel like he was actively planning our care, not just going through he motions.... We have unexplained infertility. He took us from the least invasive to most. Hoping small intervention would work.
Fertility is hard, no matter what!
Dr Payne is very personal able.
They were all pleasant and enjoyable to see.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Overall I enjoyed my visits. It’s one of the only clinics in the area. The staff were always friendly and would explain anything needed. It was a pleasant experience in an unconfortable situation. I would recommend them to others.
Cost was around $12000 for the eg lg retrieval and one ivf transfer. About $3600 for each transfer after, not including medication.
Based on our case he recommended single transfer.
Asheville
When I was told that IVF may not be an option he [Dr. John Payne] told me that they would consult and try to come up with another idea for us. No one ever called me back. I didnt ask for the phone call but he offered and I waited, no phone call. That's the last thing I ever heard from PREG.... Wasn't given any treatment at all because he told me my cervix is too high.
When I was told that IVF may not be an option he told me that they would consult and try to come up with another idea for us. No one ever called me back. I didnt ask for the phone call but he offered and I waited, no phone call. That's the last thing I ever heard from PREG.
None.
He told me sorry while I was crying. Attempted a procedure before I spent money on procedures that would not work.
Wasn't given any treatment at all because he told me my cervix is too high.
Kind and efficient
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Everyone is kind. Offices are clean. I find it disappointing that I was told I wasn't a great candidate for IVF and that I would receive a call about other treatment options. No one called me. I would have liked a second dr's opinion.
Seemed fairly consistent with national averages.
Greenville

Dr. Payne spent a great deal of time with us to make sure we understood our care. Very easy to talk to, very caring and very knowledgeable....Dr. Payne was wonderful! I'll never be able to say thank you enough!! He gave us hope and guided us through the entire journey. He's one of the most down to earth compassionate doctors one could imagine...PREG is very warm, nurturing where patients feel supported and safe. You're never a number there. They know patients by name and truly care about helping patients get pregnant.
Dr. Payne was wonderful! I'll never be able to say thank you enough!! He gave us hope and guided us through the entire journey. He's one of the most down to earth compassionate doctors one could imagine. If you're having trouble getting pregnant, see Dr. Payne!
Ask questions and make sure you understand what to do.
Don't remember, sorry.
Stephanie was wonderful. She always returned my calls, answered my questions and supported me. I couldn't have done it without her.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Appointments were scheduled in the early morning hours so I could get to work.
Don't remember.
Dr. Payne recommended eSET because of the complications of multiples.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Payne was very kind and compassionate. He answered all questions with confidence and without making us feel uneducated...He was very knowledgeable and always made us feel welcome... We had 2 unexpected pregnancies without assistance and we lost them both early on. He was always compassionate in what he said to attempt to make the situation better...was open to us transfering our 3 embryos despite the risk of multiples. He wanted to give us the best chance possible to become parents.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Payne was very kind and compassionate. He was very knowledgeable and always made us feel welcome. He is very knowledgeable and am thankful for all he has done for us. We had 2 unexpected pregnancies without assistance and we lost them both early on. He was always compassionate in what he said to attempt to make the situation better.
Write down any questions you have and be sure to take notes during the consultation.
Stephanie is an amazing nurse. Always punctional with answering any questions and always able to calm our fears
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
This a very clean and well organized clinic. They have all state of the art equipment and able to perform many procedures without the patients having to make multiple trips to different facilities. Everyone is helpful and able to answer any questions you may have.
We have spent approximately $30,000 on fertility pills, IUIs, IVF, D&C
Dr. Payne was open to us transfering our 3 embryos despite the risk of multiples. He wanted to give us the best chance possible to become parents.
Spartanburg

Dr. Payne was always very detailed during each appointment and was good with finding different options to meet my needs. During each visit, we went over success rates, costs, and any other information that was needed.... Dr. Payne was filled with compassion and was very concerned and optimistic about achieving a healthy pregnancy... After blood work and exams I started with pills to regulate my cycle and ovulation and then moved on to injections with the use of IUIs
Stay optimistic and patient
Very optimistic and loves their job
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic overall has a great atmosphere. Everyone their is very knowledgeable and if they don’t know an answer, they will find it. They are very prompt and dedicated to the needs of their patients. Everyone loves their job and it shows
Didn’t have fertility insurance so somewhat expensive

2013 - 2014
Dr. Payne was very clear about treatment options and supportive throughout the process. My husband and I both appreciated how clear and thorough he was. He was responsive to our desires and adjusted our treatment plan carefully based on my body's response.... We were given the choice of how many embryos to transfer. The doctor gave us insight on what was recommended practice based on my age and number of attempts.
2013 - 2014
None.
Dr. Payne was amazing every step of the way. The staff at PREG were also so supportive.
The nursing staff at PREG was amazing. I saw them regularly as we monitored my vitals throughout the entire process. I still have the voicemail where Lindsay from PREG called to tell me my Beta test was positive. The happiness in her voice makes me tear up everytime I listen.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Warm, inviting atmosphere. Entire clinic has the attitude that we will get you pregnant and is very hopeful. Clinic is open to natural/alternative treatments while going through IVF (e.g., supplements, acupuncture).
I had insurance coverage that helped with costs.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
He [Dr. John Payne] is kind and well prepared. He was very knowledgeable and understanding. Gave us realistic hope and encouragement. Was very honest. My husband and I felt comfortable at every visit. He explained everything in detail.... Do your research first, know what to expect. Make a list of questions. The staff is great. From the secretaries to the phlebotomist. It was the best decision of my life. I can't wait to go back to try for baby#3
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
He is kind and well prepared. He was very knowledgeable and understanding. Gave us realistic hope and encouragement. Was very honest. My husband and I felt comfortable at every visit. He explained everything in detail.
Trust him
He cared, was well prepared, even prayed for me
The staff was great. I wish they would have told me that if they have me the injection in the office there was going to be another charge.
8k procedure 5k meds
I am so thankful for his recommendation for a single transfer.
Greenville

[Dr. John Payne is a] Very nice physician. It seems as if he really cares about his patients. I wanted to transfer two embryos but Dr Payne would only transfer one (eset). I did get a positive pregnancy test but then miscarried at 5.5 weeks. I wish I had fought for the transfer of two.... Microdose Flare Protocol 18 eggs retrieved, 14 fertilized and 7 made it to 5 day blasts.
If you want a transfer of two embryos instead of one fight for that right.
The nursing staff is awesome! Very caring and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Overall the clinic is great. Very caring doctors and nursing staff.
Over $14k invested in one cycle of IVF
I think the right to choose should be left to the patient. I elected to have a transfer of 2 embryos but when transfer day came, I wasn't given the option and a single embryo was transferred.
Spartanburg

[Dr. Payne was] Very personable and caring. Gave detailed information...Genuine and empathetic. Knowledgeable and good rapport with nursing staff. Took lots of time and had patience. Gentle and good listener. Good with my husband and answering his questions. Thought about lots of.options...Antagonist protocol and FET polyp removal. Endometrial scratch and femera during fet.
Take a list of questions with you.
Very personable and caring. Gave detailed information.
Stephanie was awesome! So sweet and knowledgeable. Staff were friendly and kind.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Clean, organized, accessible. Wish they were opened later than noon on Fridays. Works with you financially. Good equipment and patient rooms. Nice surgery suite. Good nurse anesthesia. Prompt.return phone calls
He suggested eset first fet then let us decide the next fet since the first one failed.

3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
He spoke like he was talking to another educated physician. He didn't really speak to us with the intention that we may not know a lot of the terminology he was using... I felt he lacked in giving us advice on ways to help the IUI or IVF to succeed.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
I felt he lacked in giving us advice on ways to help the IUI or IVf to succeed. For example, taking certain vitamins or supplements.
As him all the questions you need and don't leave till you feel satisfied. You are the one paying for that appointment.
When Dr. Payne spoke to us. He spoke like he was talking to another educated physician. He didn't really speak to us with the intention that we may not know a lot of the terminology he was using. Because I have done a lot of research and reading........I didn't feel too lost. However, my husband did.
Greenville

He [Dr. John Payne] has a warm heart that he could tell that I was nervous so before he started the ultrasound he talked to me about what is about to happen and talked to me through the whole thing so I knew what was going on...I felt like a human because when I was starting my journey with Payne, he always uses my name. I never had to tell him my name. And he also made me feel comfortable. He held a conversation. With me and not his nurses that was in the room with us. He let me know that he knew what would be good for my plan
John made my experience every smooth when I first met him. He has a warm heart that he could tell that I was nervous so before he started the ultrasound he talked to me about what is about to happen and talked to me through the whole thing so I knew what was going on.
I didn’t get to make it to the next protocol of treat with Payne due to I got really sick with my asthma. But I would love to get future during treatment with Payne.
There are no weakness. The nursing staff was well mannered and very warm hearted. So making me feel comfortable was great.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
There are no weakness. The clinic is great. All staffs are amazing and full of joy. The clinic is very clean and baby friendly. Love how they show the outcome of all the patients and their families. Loving atmosphere
The price was okay for the most part until having to do more then one cycle that’s when I was lossing hope.
Didn’t talk about this
Columbia
Dr. John [Payne] was mindful of our feelings and frustrations. He insured that all questions were answered each visit. During one of my visits, he grabbed my husband prior to showing my results which was very thoughtful of him as we are in this together.... The clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endo Group- Greenville] has a very welcoming "small" vibe which I enjoy. The staff is helpful and very friendly which helps calm your nerves during a time like this. It is very easy to feel pressure coming into appointments of this type as stress is already high questioning why things aren't happening on their own
Dr. John was mindful of our feelings and frustrations. He insured that all questions were answered each visit. During one of my visits, he grabbed my husband prior to showing my results which was very thoughtful of him as we are in this together.
Go into this with an open mind.
Dr. John answered all of our questions while trying to be mindful of our feelings and frustrations.
When giving blood the nurse chatted and joked with me trying to ease my mind.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic has a very welcoming "small" vibe which I enjoy. The staff is helpful and very friendly which helps calm your nerves during a time like this. It is very easy to feel pressure coming into appointments of this type as stress is already high questioning why things aren't happening on their own.
I believe we spent somewhere around $500 but that was on sperm analysis testing not covered by my husband's insurance. We have not moved forward with IVF yet but that is ultimately what we have coming. Trying to save money to pay cash if at all possible as I fear going through the program, not getting pregnant and having double regret, pain weighing on my shoulders with not only the upsetting affects of IVF not working but also being reminded each payment made on a loan.
Greenville

He [Dr. Payne] is very knowledgeable an to the point. Even though I was willing to try an carry myself he was to the point in saying no bc he cared about my health. I personally would still do it at this point but understand his reasonings. He is an amazing Dr who I feel I can trust with taking great care of my family. Very professional an to the point.... We only had min. Treatment done so far, due to financing, but he done a sperm count an egg count for my husband an I, an consulted with us on what would be next when we were ready.
He is very knowledgeable an to the point. Even though I was willing to try an carry myself he was to the point in saying no bc he cared about my health. I personally would still do it at this point but understand his reasonings. He is an amazing Dr who I feel I can trust with taking great care of my family. Very professional an to the point.
Go what exactly what he says
He was very kind an willing to help us. We are currently trying to find the funding to make our family complete. As we do he for sure will be our Dr. such an awesome dr.
Very friendly
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I had no weaknesses with the clinic at all. I have only done little with them but from what I have done everyone was very helpful an to the point. Everyone was very caring an willing to help in anyway they could an if they couldn’t they would help me ind the answers
I haven’t gotten a complete total but from what it looks like it is gonna cost me around 35,000 to do my treatment
I would like to transfer multiple just so I had a bette chance bc with funding I would only have a 1 time chance.

Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Payne is truly caring and supportive. His positive energy makes the experience comfortable...Not only that he gave me options for the treatment plans as opposed to making decisions for me...My treatment plans included scratching and stitch. To include a HSG. All procedures were explained and I received immediate results following each procedure. Dr. Payne was very informative...supportive in my decision about eSET...have the up most respect for his patients
Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Payne is truly caring and supportive. His positive energy makes the experience comfortable. Dr. Payne was supportive and open to suggestions. Not only that he gave me options for the treatment plans as opposed to making decisions for me
From my experience Dr. Payne and his team are awesome and have the up most respect for his patients
I was treated like a human. The team truly cared about my journey
Describe your experience with your nurse at Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group. (Assigned nurse: Lynne Fowler)
My IVF coordinator was awesome. She took the time to call and email to ensure I understood any protocols. Without her I would have been completely lost
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
I can't think of any clinic weakness. The clinic is always organized and open to answer questions that I may have. The appointment times were also flexible. Especially considered I work full-time during my IVF process
The cost were reasonable and fair
Dr. Payne was truly informative/supportive in my decision about eSET

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
He [Dr. John Payne] did blood work and procedures to help us understand what the problem might be and how to move forward...He was warm and understanding. Answered all of our questions and explained the process well. Let us know all our choices. Gave us guidance on what we should be doing and the time line of the process. We felt very comfortable with him. We look forward to going through this process with him.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Be open and tell your health history.
He was great.
He did blood work and procedures to help us understand what the problem might be and how to move forward.
The nursing staff was very knowledgeable and helpful with our needs. They were prompt and made us feel very comfortable. They took all of our concerns seriously... and took they're time to answer all of our questions.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
They are very knowledgeable, compassionate, and warm. They are also available and respond in an appropriate time. They explain the process well and make you feel comfortable with it. I don't really have any complaints.
Insurance paid some and they let us know where we can get financial assistance
Greenville
Felt very comfortable with Dr. Payne. He answered all of our questions openly and honestly.... He was very up front, telling us what to expect, how she plays a factor, etc. we did blood work and talked about my husbands vasectomy and our options for insemination. We went over different procedures we could do and the risks with each. He is just an awesome doctor!... Ask anything you need to know! He will gladly answer and it will be an upfront honest answer as well.
Very caring staff. Didn’t make you feel like a number and were very attentive with you.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
This is an awesome clinic! Everyone is very friendly and all are ready to help you in whatever way you may need. Talking with the financial counselor is also an added plus along with Dr. Payne and his staff.
Greenville

Dr Payne is great! He explains all treatment options in detail and makes sure you choose the best option for success. He goes over all test results very thoroughly. He explains all testing that needs to be done beforehand so you know exactly what to expect. Highly recommend Dr Payne!... The clinic [Piedmont Reproductive Endo Group-Spartanburg] is very professional and make sure you understand each procedure and option available to you. They help you choose the best option for success!
The nursing staff is very caring and they make sure you are as comfortable as possible and explain in details the procedures taking place.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
The clinic is very professional and make sure you understand each procedure and option available to you. They help you choose the best option for success! The staff is very caring and want nothing but positive results. I really feel like they care.
Spartanburg

He [Dr. John Payne] was nice but going through this, I would want someone to explain and be empathetic. Don’t just make me a number and rush me out. We asked questions, but I felt that I was just another patient. I liked the facility but wanted a little more feeling or understanding.... He was very courteous but very rushed and didn’t explain fully in my opinion.
He was nice but going through this, I would want someone to explain and be empathetic. Don’t just make me a number and rush me out. We asked questions, but I felt that I was just another patient. I liked the facility but wanted a little more feeling or understanding.
Go in with an open mind and be prepared for quick answers.
He was very courteous but very rushed and didn’t explain fully in my opinion.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
This facility is very open with helpful staff. Environment is welcoming and open. New patients are welcomed. The nurses are kind and helpful and are there to help. It’s very nice inside. Not sure what else to say.
Greenville

He [Dr. John Payne] is Knowledgeable, has great communication skills, and is compassionate. Listens to your concerns. His professionalism and bedside manner is excellent. I would strongly recommend my friends who struggle with infertility to see him.... Letrozole 2.5 mg and Ovidrel injection. Underwent two IUI cycles. Negative pregnancy.... My doctor is incredibly knowledgeable and treated me with compassion.
He is Knowledgeable, has great communication skills, and is compassionate. Listens to your concerns. His professionalism and bedside manner is excellent. I would strongly recommend my friends who struggle with infertility to see him.
Definitely go see Dr Payne. He’s fantastic !
My doctor is incredibly knowledgeable and treated me with compassion.
answered all my questions and concerns promptly.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
This clinic is very punctual and return your calls almost immediately. Very courteous and compassionate. I have nothing negative to say. I’m so happy I’m one Dr Payne patients. Hoping to get my big positive soon.
It’s been expensive but I’m well aware of that
Spartanburg

Very welcoming and made me feel important and that he [Dr. John Payne] would do everything in his powder to help us have a family. He listened to me and made me feel as though I mattered. I would highly recommend PREG and their staff to anyone.... Easy to get someone on the phone [at PREG], easy to schedule appointments, billing department is easy to work with, nurses are always available to answer questions or will fall back as soon as they can. The lab techs are great and always very compassionate
Very welcoming and made me feel important and that he would do everything in his powder to help us have a family. He listened to me and made me feel as though I mattered. I would highly recommend PREG and their staff to anyone.
Ask questions. Don’t be afraid to question something if it doesn’t feel right.
I felt like I was important and not just a number
Femara, trigger shot, timed intercourse.
The nursing staff at PREG were wonderful and always made me feel special.
Describe your experience with Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group.
Easy to get someone on the phone, easy to schedule appointments, billing department is easy to work with, nurses are always available to answer questions or will fall back as soon as they can. The lab techs are great and always very compassionate.