6.4

Danvers
104 Endicott Street
Danvers, MA 01923
978-882-6767

I felt that he [Dr. Petrozza] was not eager to customize the treatment plan for me and just throw me into a preset treatment plan. When I asked for the rationale of how and why the protocol was set for me, I was not given an answer. When the treatment did not work, the reason is always my egg quality...It is just the regular antagonist protocol vs. micro-flare protocol. I wish more information would be provided for me for these treatments
They [Massachusetts General Hospital] know a lot. But as I put earlier, the small room and the inpatient reception desk person, and the messing up of my insurance issues, and the last-minute style of transfer (basically they do not let you know anything about how your fresh eggs are like until several seconds before the actual transfer) made me feel that I am just a number to them...300-400 total because of the insurance for each cycle.
How was your experience with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
He is knowledgeable about a lot of things but I felt his best set is about surgery and fibroid removal instead of treating women with infertility issues. I felt like a number throughout the treatment and constantly blamed for my egg issues.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
If you are young and healthy and can be successfully treated at any place, you can work with him. Otherwise, if you want some more personal approach, do not go.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I felt that he was not eager to customize the treatment plan for me and just throw me into a preset treatment plan. When I asked for the rationale of how and why the protocol was set for me, I was not given an answer. When the treatment did not work, the reason is always my egg quality.
Describe the protocols John Petrozza used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
It is just the regular antagonist protocol vs. micro-flare protocol. I wish more information would be provided for me for these treatments. It turned out that perhaps three-day transfer would work better for me but they insisted on 5 day fresh transfer and resulted in negative test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Carol)
They messed up my insurance in the beginning and delayed my treatment by several months. Once I got in, it is getting better though I found the woman at the front desk for our morning appointments to be extremely rude. She would usually impatiently ask us to put our names down and then call out our names in front of many other patients waiting in the same room to get in and out for blood tests. I felt very bad going there every time.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
They know a lot. But as I put earlier, the small room and the inpatient reception desk person, and the messing up of my insurance issues, and the last-minute style of transfer (basically they do not let you know anything about how your fresh eggs are like until several seconds before the actual transfer) made me feel that I am just a number to them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital.
300-400 total because of the insurance for each cycle.
Describe John Petrozza's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Massachusetts General Hospital.
What specific things went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Insurance messing up: They sent my documents in for the wrong case which resulted in a denial. They should have just sent the appeal in for my new case but they did not and instead asked me to wait. I waited for more than one month till they found out that they should contact the insurance company. Then I was told that they would be closed during Christmas and that I must wait for another month before starting my cycles. I lived in fear of the big financial burden for more than three months before it was finally approved. But I was not satisfied with their waiting room staff demeanor and the constant blame on my egg issues when the treatment did not work. In addition, I found that not giving me the information about the embryo situation until seconds before the transfer (fresh) to be very uncomfortable. I wish there is a buffer stage when we can be told about the embryo development stage instead of feeling so bad waiting there to hear the news.

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Petrozza] explained our issues in detail, explained the risks, and really understood our goals. But as soon as the process started he fell off the radar. I never saw him for any of my check in ultrasounds, he didn't do my retrieval, and then sat on genetic test results for two weeks. I felt like we got sold a personable bill of goods and then was just another number in the pile...
If I called [MGH - Boston] I had to leave a message for her and she would call me back. It was frustrating because the entire process was never really explained to us, we dealt with insurance issues which never got resolved and everything frustrated me. I'm a fairly smart human being and they made me feel stupid for asking questions. When I said I wanted a class on injections they told me to keep watching the videos until I got it.
How was your experience with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
As the head of the clinic I thought he was fabulous and he was also great to us in the beginning of our process. He explained our issues in detail, explained the risks, and really understood our goals. But as soon as the process started he fell off the radar. I never saw him for any of my check in ultrasounds, he didn't do my retrieval, and then sat on genetic test results for two weeks. I felt like we got sold a personable bill of goods and then was just another number in the pile.
Be aware that you won't see him during the process and that you'll be dealing with his assistant and other Dr's throughout.
I barely saw my Dr during the process, which I guess is not unusual when there are several Dr's in a practice and they rotate days. The one issue I had with him is that he sat on my genetic testing results for 2 weeks before giving them to me. It was the longest two weeks of my life. And then zero empathy when he relayed that no embryos were viable and all had genetic issues.
ivf with ICSI. I'm sorry I don't remember the details
Describe your experience with your nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Carol H. )
My main point of contact was Carol. If I called I had to leave a message for her and she would call me back. It was frustrating because the entire process was never really explained to us, we dealt with insurance issues which never got resolved and everything frustrated me. I'm a fairly smart human being and they made me feel stupid for asking questions. When I said I wanted a class on injections they told me to keep watching the videos until I got it.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
They get you in, the process is set up but you're a number and it's a business to them.
10000+ with genetic testing
What specific things went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Delay in relaying protocol, I had asked for an overview as a first time IVF patient and was basically told that I needed to wait until they were ready to talk to me. Dr failed to relay genetic test results in a prompt manner. Insurance coverage was misleading as was payment options. Unclear communication as to when to start the pill at the beginning of my cycle which took 3 phone calls to straighten out.
Boston

My IVF cycle was cancelled. I suggested perhaps I just can't tolerate high levels of gonadotropins but Dr P [Dr. Petrozza] insisted this is "impossible" and said my next cycle should be flare not antagonist with again 450 Gonal F. I got no sense that he wanted to figure out what went wrong...he has a very bad bedside manner. Delivers things like "IVF just might not work for you" with absolutely no sympathy ...
How was your experience with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
As stated earlier, he has a very blunt bedside manner. Generally, I want a competent not nice doctor. I'm not sure he is either, at least if you have DOR. Zero sympathy, zero optimism (even when docs at other clinics were like "I don't even know that you have DOR") .... also, after that first appointment, he disappears
Go with him if you have a straightforward case and not DOR.... do not expect him to have a "hmmm how interesting let's see why this odd response happened" approach
I think MGH is very poor for treating diminished ovarian reserve. I had a very strange situation happen, which is that I responded well to clomid and low doses of Gonal F (eg 75 and 112), like getting 3 eggs, but at high doses (eg 450)--which is what they insisted i needed for IVF--my body shut down and I had 0 follicles grow. My IVF cycle was cancelled. I suggested perhaps I just can't tolerate high levels of gonadotropins but Dr P insisted this is "impossible" and said my next cycle should be flare not antagonist with again 450 Gonal F. I got no sense that he wanted to figure out what went wrong. i was clearly a number. and btw, he has a very bad bedside manner. Delivers things like "IVF just might not work for you" with absolutely no sympathy ... bear in mind my AMH is over 2, I naturally conceived a child 2 years ago, etc. Again, no desire to problem solve. they want you in and out. If you are an easy/textbook case, that's fine. But if you are a puzzling case, I see no indication you're going to get attention at MGH.
antagonist protocol IVF with no suppression
often running late
insurance co=pays only
2009 - 2010, Successful
He came across as very detached. While matter-of-fact can be ok, he communicated in a way that made me feel less than human - like he had a protocol he followed and who I was, how I felt, etc was pretty irrelevant. Ultimately, I got what I wanted: I became pregnant after two rounds of IUI... However, he did very little to make what is already a horrible experience any more bearable.
He [Dr. Petrozza] came across as very detached. While matter-of-fact can be ok, he communicated in a way that made me feel less than human - like he had a protocol he followed and who I was, how I felt, etc was pretty irrelevant. Ultimately, I got what I wanted: I became pregnant after two rounds of IUI... However, he did very little to make what is already a horrible experience any more bearable.
How was your experience with John Petrozza at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Ultimately, I got what I wanted: I became pregnant after two rounds of IUI. For that reason I wouldn't discourage friends from going to Dr Petrozza and I will always feel grateful for his help. However, he did very little to make what is already a horrible experience any more bearable. He came across as fairly cold and detached, which I wasn't completely bothered by. He actually would reintroduce himself at every appointment as if we had never met, which was almost funny. My real difficulty with him happened when I opted not to do a vaccine that he was pushing me to get (something that would have delayed my treatment months, I did after careful consideration and consulting a highly respected infectious disease MD) I was horrified by the way he treated me. He was belittling and not in the least compassionate. Luckily, he didn't remember who I was at my next appointment. I had a friend who had a very similar experience with him. She did say when she went back to see him to have a second child, his bedside manner had improved dramatically, almost to the point where she wondered if he had gotten negative feedback and was making a serious effort to be more personable.
As much as you can, try to go into your interactions with him with your own sense of detachment. As emotional as the process is, try to look at him as a vehicle to get where you're trying to go. Ultimately, he's a surgeon who can perform a procedure that you may need.
Dr Petrozza's bedside manner was generally horrible. He came across as very detached. While matter-of-fact can be ok, he communicated in a way that made me feel less than human - like he had a protocol he followed and who I was, how I felt, etc was pretty irrelevant.