Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)

Nurse available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolU. of Pennsylvania
ResidencyJohns Hopkins
FellowshipEastern Virginia Jones
601 Elmwood Ave
Rochester, NY 14642
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend John Queenan to a friend?
Neutral: 33%Don't recommend: 67%3.9
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester) to a friend?
My Fallopian tube spasmd during my HSG and the Dr that preformed it told him that, but Dr. Queenan refused to listen. He said I needed another HSG, and a tubal cannulation, and after that he wanted to do Femara, with trigger shot, and IUI even though my husband has perfect sperm. We said we couldn’t afford it (the HSG alone was $300+) and I asked if we could try Femara alone. He became very irritated and said no.
How was your experience with John Queenan at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
After my HSG showed inconclusive results he refused to listen to me and the dr that performed the test. He saw what he wanted to see and he pushed for expensive treatments that weren’t needed. When we refused and asked for other options/tests he refused to help us further.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Queenan at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
If you’re a text book case and everything goes to plan he will probably be great. But when something isn’t quite text book he doesn’t seem to know what to do. Everything is by the book and he refuses to offer anything outside the box.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Queenan at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
He didn’t seem to take my husband and I seriously since we were so young. He kept saying “well you’re young... etc.”
Describe the protocols John Queenan used in your cycles at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester) and their degree of success.
After my appointments the nurse would come in and explain things again which was nice. They do have a phlebotomist there who is horrible. She insisted I had terrible veins and took my blood from my hand. And every time I had blood drawn from her it was very painful. I’ve never had any issues with having my blood drawn before I met her.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
The clinic was very clean, and modern. The waiting room was nice and very spacious (so you didn’t have to sit on top of other nervous people!) It did take almost 3 months to get an appointment though.
Rochester
He [Dr. Queenan] answered our questions as a doctor but also included his personal opinion when asked. He was responsive to our wants during our cycles as well...He is knowledgeable and trustworthy. He is strong in his convictions related to fertility treatment but is open to hearing your thoughts and ideas. He has a calmness about him that benefits the clients he interacts with...With unexplained infertility, we went with very “classic” treatment approaches using the least amount of medication possible. Dr Q is very conservative with his use of medications.
He will answer any question asked of him, just make sure you come with them ready to ask!
He answered our questions as a doctor but also included his personal opinion when asked. He was responsive to our wants during our cycles as well.
They are knowledgeable and efficient; however, they see so many individuals throughout the day they do seem rushed.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
The clinic is extremely efficient. The downside is they see so many patients in one day it can be easy to feel like a number. They always called when they said they would and returned my calls within a timely manner.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Queenan at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
My IVF cycle package cost $6500 (one egg retrieval and two transfers). I spent an extra $4500 on PGS testing and $4000 on medications. I also spent $1500 on FET medications.
Describe John Queenan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
He very, very strongly believes is eSET. He warned us about the risks of transferring more than one embryo on multiple occasions. We are thankful we only transferred one embryo, as our one embryo split and we are having identical twins.
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
He's [Dr John Queenan] pretty good about introducing himself, tries to be conversational and resorts to a jokey humor that is distracting. His procedures tend to be more painful than with other doctors. That is to say I think he could be more gentle...Did a couple cycles because the first batch of donor eggs was a failure. They required a mock cycle to get the treatment right. Resulted in adding a thyroid medication for the real cycle. They always claimed they had to follow the protocols required by the egg bank which made me think they sometimes couldn't change things even if they wanted to.
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
He's pretty good about introducing himself, tries to be conversational and resorts to a jokey humor that is distratcting. His procedures tend to be more painful than with other doctors. That is to say I think he could be more gentle.
He has a big personality - it can be distracting.
He seems to care. He's super busy and seems a bit ditzy though.
The care structure isn't clear at the beginning. It is confusing to figure out with whom you should speak with.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
The intake nurses can be very gruff, they rarely introduce themselves. The paperwork is confusing and uses medical lingo. You have to ask them to use lay language sometimes.
Paid out of pocket for donor eggs $10k. Remaining IVF procedures covered under insurance.
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?
2010 - 2015
Dr Queenan is a great RE but if you don't fit into his plan he doesn't offer many alternatives. He basically gave up on us. After a few unsuccessful cycles he told me I needed a gestational carrier and that it would be too expensive for us.... I went to this practice for 5 years and nurses still didn't know my name..... Every time I did a cycle there were errors with my plan. One time I took the wrong dose of meds because it was wrong in my plan. One time my plan got mailed to the wrong address! They said I must have moved, which of course I didn't.
2010 - 2015
Don't waste your time at this office.
I went to this practice for 5 years and nurses still didn't know my name.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester). (Assigned nurse: Dawn)
They were terrible!!! Very unorganized, very rude! They made mistakes in my plan and never apologized. Their mistakes always ended up being my fault.
Describe your experience with Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester).
Medically they do everything by the book. They don't think outside of the box. They are not accommodating or compassionate.
I can't remember exactly but I think it was $7500 for IVF and $3000 for FETs
Dr Q told me my chances were better with only one but we did two cycles with only one embryo and it was unsuccessful
What specific things went wrong at Strong Fertility Center (U of Rochester)?