Medical SchoolU. of Michigan
312-222-8230
3703 W. Lake Avenue
Glenview, IL 60026
847-998-8200
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend John Rapisarda to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Fertility Centers of Illinois to a friend?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr. Rapisarda would support transferring multiple embryos if They were not PGS...has a very warm bedside manner and always listened intently and answered all of my questions honestly and frankly. I felt he always knew me and my case in detail and I never felt ignored or pushed aside...is very passionate and knowledgeable about his practice. He spoke to me gently when I needed it and frankly when I asked technical questions. There were times I felt I had to push to be more aggressive with treatment but he always met me where I needed to be and was supportive of our decisions.
How was your experience with John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr. Rapisarda is a wonderful doctor and is very passionate and knowledgeable about his practice. He spoke to me gently when I needed it and frankly when I asked technical questions. There were times I felt I had to push to be more aggressive with treatment but he always met me where I needed to be and was supportive of our decisions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
If you have a question about further treatment/ other treatment ask about it and if you feel it is something you want to pursue, then push for it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr. Rapisarda has a very warm bedside manner and always listened intently and answered all of my questions honestly and frankly. I felt he always knew me and my case in detail and I never felt ignored or pushed aside.
Describe the protocols John Rapisarda used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of Illinois and their degree of success.
We had to do 3 IUIs with chlomid before moving to ivf. For our first round of IVF we did an antagonist protocol and retrieved 16 eggs. Dr. Rapisarda discovered my blocked tube during this cycle, which my old OB missed, and he helped me get it taken care of through surgery right away so we could get back on track. I had my left tube removed and they cleaned up my low grade endometriosis, as well. We ended up with 3 day 5 embryos-no PGS, all grades A/B. We transferred one embryo that was not successful and decided to do another egg retrieval before moving on. We did a similar protocol this time with higher doses to try to get better eggs. We retrieved 14 eggs with better development, but we still ended up with 3 day 5 embryos. We decided to do PGS with these and discovered only one normal embryo was created. I was diagnosed with poor egg quality and we are preparing for our next transfer after doing an ERA.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Laura Borgeson )
Laura is my saving grace. She has become a friend and one of my biggest supporters. She understands the struggle and is extremely compassionate and empathetic
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
The hours are difficult to work with sometimes. Especially if you work full time. The clinic in Chicago where you go for procedures is large and impersonal, but the Glenview clinic is lovely from the nurses to doctors to receptionists
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I have rear insurance so once I reached my deductible I was covered at 100% the first cycle with surgery cost us around $8,000. PGS ($3800) was not covered or my era ($2,000) overall after 3 medicated IUIs, 2 rounds of IVF with PGS, one surgery and 2 ERAs we have spent about $12,000
Describe John Rapisarda's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
FCI in general pushes for single embryo transfer especially when all other factors looks favorable. Due to my poor egg quality we were not willing to lose more embryos if my body wasn’t responding so we agreed. However, Dr. Rapisarda would support transferring multiple embryos if They were not PGS
Glenview
Dr. Rapisarda seems very knowledgeable in the field. From day 1 he was very open to answering all of my questions and providing information. I never felt like I was being pushed into any specific treatments or tests. He maintains a professional manner without being too personal (which I personally don't like in doctors) and without also seeming cold.
How was your experience with John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Don't be afraid to ask hard questions.
The clinic does seem like it churns women through it. But all of my experiences have been good. The nurses are excellent.
We started the process with testing my husband's semen for analysis and getting bloodwork done on both of us. Since we had been trying to get pregnant for a couple years of trying, and with normal cycles and ovulation, the first couple months we monitored my cycles and bloodwork and ovulation. I also had ultrasounds done to look at any physical issues and saline ultrasound to verify that my tubes were clear. Genetic testing was also done on me to see if I was a carrier of any of the most common bad genes. Everything came back good. Once everything came back clear, the doctor recommended starting with IUI and Clomid. The cycle used OTC ovulation kit to predict ovulation, a trigger shot and a scheduled IUI. Monitoring using bloodwork was done to rest estrogen levels and progesterone levels. I was given Prometrium due to low progesterone levels post IUI. Two weeks later I had the pregnancy test bloodwork done and it came back positive but with low HCG levels. Follow up tests over the course of a couple weeks weren't looking good. It turned out to be an ectopic pregnancy. Since I was being monitored so closely, we caught it early. I was prescribed Methatrexate to end the pregnancy and was told that I wouldn't be able to try to get pregnant for 3 months due to possible birth defects from the medication. I was given that information in advance of taking the medication. My options were to take Methatrexate or remove my fallopian tube where the pregnancy was. We ended up waiting about 5 months before the next IUI. In the meantime I had bloodwork monitoring until the HCG levels came back down to 0 and another saline ultrasound to make sure my tubes were cleared following the ectopic pregnancy. Round #2 of IUI, the doctor switched it up to try Femara. It works similar to Clomid but in a different way. Starting this cycle, I was monitored more closely with more ultrasounds to track the size of the follicles. Also did a triggers shot with Ovidrel, IUI and Prometrium on the latter part of the cycle. Pregnancy test came back negative. Round #3 of IUI, we went with Letrozole. Ultrasound monitoring of follicle sizes, Ovidrel triggershot, IUI and progesterone again on the latter half. Once again, negative pregnancy test. After two rounds of no results with IUI, the doctor recommended going with FSH injectibles. I was injecting 75IU of Follistim daily for 3 days, had a checkup and was told to go 2 more days at 75IU. After the next appointment, I was instructed on 1 day of 75IU and 1 day 66IU. Following those days, I was told to trigger shot with Ovidrel that night and IUI the following 1.5 day. A few days following the IUI, I was put on Progesterone in Oil shots daily. Pregnancy test came back positive. The first appointment to measure heartbeat (6wk), I was told the heartbeat wasn't as strong as they wanted to to continue monitoring. At the 7wk appointment, there wasn't too much growth from 6wks and the heartbeat was still lower than they wanted. They also said the gestational sac was irregular in shape. A few days later I had some light spotting. I was able to get in the next day and still there was low heartbeat and not any measured growth. The doctor indicated that it didn't look like a healthy fetus. I as told I could continue progesterone shots and see what happens. I was still spotting this whole time. A few days later I decided to stop the progesterone shots. When I went in for an ultrasound a few days after that, there was no more heartbeat. I was given several options following this. 1) I could wait and let my body miscarry the fetus on it's own which could take several weeks. 2) I could have a D&C to remove the tissue but there would be risk of scarring that could cause problems getting pregnant down the road. Or 3) Take Misoprostal to induce 'labor' essentially. It causes the uterus to contract and release the fetal tissues. The doctor explained the side effects of the medication and what the process would be like. He also explained that there is a chance that my body wouldn't expel all of the tissue and I might still require a D&C. I decided to take the Misoprostal that following weekend. It took about 5-10 hours for major cramping to kick in. About 12 hours later I had bad cramping and felt a rush of liquid and tissue pass. I collected the tissue in a specimen cup since we were going to send it off for genetic testing. Cramping continued for another day or so but got a lot lighter. 1.5 days later, I passed some more tissue, saved it and dropped it off with the other sample at the doctor's office. Bleeding continued, similar to period bleeding, for another couple weeks. It was very light. I went in weekly for HCG level monitoring until it dropped to zero. The tissue specimens were sent for genetic testing. All of the tests they ran came back normal. Since miscarriages happen typically due to a genetic abnormality, the doctor wanted to run a few tests to check for possible other issues. I had bloodwork done for immune system sensitivity that could have caused the body to reject the fetus. I also had a uterine biopsy done to check for bacterial issues that could have caused it. And lastly a bacterial swab of the vaginal cavity to check for bacterial issues. All tests came back normal. Essentially the miscarriage is unexplainable. The doctor said it still could have been genetic but something rare that isn't tested for typically. They only test the most common issues. After my cycle came back, we waited 2 months of normal cycles before trying two more rounds of IUI with Follistim injections and Progesterone in Oil. Both resulted in no pregnancy. We are currently in a self-imposed wait before jumping into IVF. This was a decision we have made as a couple. The doctor didn't even mention anything to us about switching to IVF. We just feel it's time to move on from IUI. In the next month or so we'll go in for our IVF consultation and see where that all goes.
There are different nurses. The ultrasound techs only perform the ultrasounds for monitoring. They've been very helpful, pointing out anything that was relevant. The nurses that take blood are always caring. I have bad veins and have had issues being poked, but they've done a much better job than other places I've been to. The doctor's nurse is the one who calls to follow up on blood results and ultrasounds. She was also the one to perform the IUI and met with me to go over how to administer my shots at the beginning of this all.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I like that they open very early in the morning. I'm able to schedule majority of my ultrasound appointments and blood collection before I go to work. It works great with my work schedule. Only the doctor consultation and IUI are done during working hours. All of the staff are efficient and I'm able to get in and out of the office in great time.
I had some insurance coverage, mostly for ultrasounds and bloodwork. But the IUI and medication was not. For a Clomid IUI cycle, I paid $1,600 after insurance. For Femara IUI cycle, I paid $1,450 after insurance. The Follistim monitored IUI cycles were about $2,500-3,500 based on how much monitoring was required. An office visit consultation with the doctor was about $300.
We haven't had this conversation yet.
Glenview
When going to see Dr. R [John Rapisarda] we were nervous, anxious, and hoping for the best. He exceeded my expectations. He spent as much time with us as we needed him to, in our first initial consultation appointment. He went over everything about my condition with me, he let me know how each procedure works, and truly made us feel he was willing to do what it takes to get us our baby.
How was your experience with John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
My husband and I were very pleased when leaving and felt a big weight was lifted off of our shoulders. We were coming from a clinic where all 3 rounds of treatment didn't work and we were just very down about it all. Dr. R made us feel like there was hope again and he would do everything he could to help us.
Make sure to ask any questions you need to.. no question is a dumb one and he doesn't make you feel like you're being a burden or taking up too much of his time.
When going to see Dr. R we were nervous, anxious, and hoping for the best. He exceeded my expectations. He spent as much time with us as we needed him to, in our first initial consultation appointment. He went over everything about my condition with me, he let me know how each procedure works, and truly made us feel he was willing to do what it takes to get us our baby.
We are just starting with Dr. R - we are starting the IVF treatments the week of 03/12/18. at my previous clinic I did 3 rounds of IUI's
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Dianna)
the nurse that was assigned to us is awesome. I love that we have our own nurse for any questions or concerns. If I have any questions I email her, and she always responds in a very timely matter.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
The clinic was very welcoming, the front desk staff were very professional and friendly, and the clinic was very clean and put together. We also met with a financial advisor, which is great that they have that, because lets be real.. who can afford to pay for IVF out of pocket. We truly have nothing but good things to say about this clinic so far! I hope it all works out for us here.
If we are qualified to do the Invocell IVF - $8,500-10,000 If we are doing the normal IVF - anywhere from 14,000-16,000
not at this time.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
...I was on edge and nervous about ever getting pregnant and needed someone to bring me back to a calm place and explain things in terms I could understand. He [Dr. John Rapisarda] is extremely patient and never rushed through any explanations. The only thing I would have wanted more of is to have communicated with him directly during times that were a challenge. I understand it is very difficult since he has so many patients. though...
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
How was your experience with John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr. Rapisarda is a very competent, intelligent, even keel doctor. His bedside manner is exactly what I was looking for. Very calm and warm, but also very subtle and neutral in his demeanor and approach. I really appreciated this since I was the opposite in my demeanor. I was on edge and nervous about ever getting pregnant and needed someone to bring me back to a calm place and explain things in terms I could understand. He is extremely patient and never rushed through any explanations. The only thing I would have wanted more of is to have communicated with him directly during times that were a challenge. I understand it is very difficult since he has so many patients. though.
Trust the process and Dr. Rapisarda. He knows what he is doing. It may not work the first time or the second time, but he will find the right "recipe" to make your dream of having a child come true. Be patient and don't stop living during this time. Try to enjoy your life even during this emotional time. Most importantly, reach out to women and couples who have been there. They are your biggest supporters!
Dr. Rapisarda never made me feel rushed. He explained my diagnosis and treatment options as many times as I needed to fully understand. During my first visits, I was an emotional wreck. It was extremely difficult to grasp I could not get pregnant on my own (or that my chances were very low). I came in with a very negative mindset and slowly I began to trust Dr. Rapisarda and the process. I began to understand the science behind the treatment. He was very neutral, never giving me false hope and never telling me it was going to happen. I really appreciated the level of hope he was giving me because it felt realistic.
I was not a candidate for chlomid. I started with IVF and it was cancelled due to poor response and converted to an IUI cycle that did not work. A few months later, Dr. Rapisarda put me on a different protocol for IVF that did work.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Garanzini)
Stephanie and Laura were amazing. They were empathetic, compassionate, intelligent, and timely. Stephanie knew exactly how to relate to me. Her and I formed a very special bond and I really cherish her treatment during this time in my life.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
The doctor and nurses were excellent. The blood draw was even pleasant and I hate needles. The ultrasound technician was a little quiet, but very competent. The front desk was good, but some team members there could use a little more of an empathetic approach when interacting with patients.
My insurance covered my treatment. I only had to pay co-pays.
I had a day 3 transfer. It was advised by a different doctor who was on call that we transfer 2 embryos. Given that is was a day 3 transfer and the embryos were less developed. It was a difficult decision to make on the on the spot. I wish I had done a little more research and had information about this possible decision beforehand.
Glenview
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
We did 6 rounds if IUI [with Dr. John Rapisarda]. First two with injectables (gonal F). The first IUI resulted in a pregnancy. I misscarried at 7 weeks. IUI cycles 4 through 6 were just using chlomid. We were trying to get through 6 rounds of IUI for insurance purposes so we could move on to IVF/FET. Those attempts were unsuccessful. We proceeded with an egg retrieval and did a FET and not IVF so that we could do PGS. First FET attempt resulted in pregnancy but again I miscarried at 7-8 weeks.
How was your experience with John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
As states earlier, he missed that I had a septum uterus which was most likely causing my miscarriages. I spent a lot of time and money on treatments that were unsuccessful and towards the end he had to recommended course of action or next steps.
Find another doctor. Get a second opinion.
FCI is all about the volume of patients and not qaulity of care. The waiting room was always full and I felt like my treatments were basic and not customized to my situation. Dr. rapisarda also missed that I had a septum uterus that was probably the main cause of my many miscarriages.
We did 6 rounds if IUI. First two with injectables (gonal F). The first IUI resulted in a pregnancy. I misscarried at 7 weeks. IUI cycles 4 through 6 were just using chlomid. We were trying to get through 6 rounds of IUI for insurance purposes so we could move on to IVF/FET. Those attempts were unsuccessful. We proceeded with an egg retrieval and did a FET and not IVF so that we could do PGS. First FET attempt resulted in pregnancy but again I miscarried at 7-8 weeks. That’s when I chose to search for another doctor.
I had 3 nurses while under treatment and all were nice, compassionate, and helpful.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
It felt like a cattle call. So many patients. Nurses were nice. It was all about the numbers and volume of patients for the doctors. If Dr. Rapisarda wasn’t available to do a procedure, I was scheduled with another doctor and I didn’t like that.
We spent a lot of money even though a good portion was covered by insurance. I would say over $30k.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
He [Dr. John Rapisarda] probably won't do any of your procedures. Don't expect warmth, but he is very direct and professional. He will give you a lot of information if you do your research in advance and know what questions to ask. Don't expect him to give you a sense of the process, that is more what his nurses will do.... It felt chaotic and I never knew what the next steps were. I was never sure if Dr. Rapisarda even knew what was going on.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
He was certainly very professional, but not warm or friendly. I also felt judged around some of my decisions to stay on medications during pregnancy. It felt chaotic and I never knew what the next steps were. I was never sure if Dr. Rapisarda even knew what was going on. I was a very involved patient - I called frequently and was always asking for updates and clarification - I would hate to think of what it would be like for someone who wasn't that persistent. I felt in the dark a lot in a very intense process.
Be ready to advocate for yourself and ask lots of questions. He probably won't do any of your procedures. Don't expect warmth, but he is very direct and professional. He will give you a lot of information if you do your research in advance and know what questions to ask. Don't expect him to give you a sense of the process, that is more what his nurses will do.
It was challenging to get in touch with him and he never actually spoke to me during my cycle. I know the process is unpredictable and there's no way you can get the same doctor every time, but I truly NEVER spoke with him besides at the beginning and at the very end, once we had a successful pregnancy. When we met for our ending session, my wife and I both felt like he had no idea who we were. Even though we achieved a pregnancy, it was a very stressful process and I was looking for more care and interaction from my provider.
I had a uterine polypectomy. Follistim and several other drugs during stim cycle (can't remember them all). 10 day cycle before retrieval. Then 5 day embryo fresh transfer. While waiting for pregnancy test, endometrin suppositories, estrogen, and baby aspirin. He didn't do any of the procedures.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Christy)
Christy was really great, but there were times when she was out of the office during my treatment and that was incredibly stressful. I found the other nurses to never know my treatment plan, to be confused frequently, and once I never received a call regarding my medication for that evening and I had to call the on-call number 3 times before someone called me back to apologize and inform me what the dosage was for the day.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Lots of resources, so everything can happen there and you don't need to be referred out for much. Some nursing staff are great. Downsides of this clinic are that it is so huge, you are frequently being shuffled around with hoards of other people. It's hard not to feel absolutely like a number or cattle at times, which is so challenging when you're pumped up on hormones and dealing with infertility.
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
He [Dr. Rapisarda] was open and honest with us about our situation. He spoke bluntly while remaining positive about his ability to help us with our specific situation. The game plan was very clear from the beginning. He made sure we were comfortable with the procedures we were going to undertake and did not push us to do anything we were not comfortable with. We only met with him three times...Dr. Rapisarda is very open and understanding and willing to work with his patients to achieve their goals in a way that is comfortable for them. He will be honest with you regarding what will and will not work
Investor
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
My husband and I had a good experience with Dr. Rapisarda. He was open and honest with us about our situation. He spoke bluntly while remaining positive about his ability to help us with our specific situation. The game plan was very clear from the beginning. He made sure we were comfortable with the procedures we were going to undertake and did not push us to do anything we were not comfortable with. We only met with him three times - once during our initial consult, once after initial testing was completed and then an exit meeting after we became pregnant.
Be your own advocate. Dr. Rapisarda is very open and understanding and willing to work with his patients to achieve their goals in a way that is comfortable for them. He will be honest with you regarding what will and will not work but you should feel comfortable speaking up about your questions and comfort with procedures
I was diagnosed with weak ovulation, low progesterone and a possible mild case of PCOS. I was ovulating on my own each month but my levels were slightly below the normal range. I was prescribed Clomid and then used Crinone progesterone after ovulation. I got pregnant on my second cycle of Clomid
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Hamstra)
I loved Jessica. She was responsive and always compassionate. Prior to visiting FCI, we had an early loss about a year prior. I was nervous about both my ability to get pregnant and stay pregnant. She was understanding to both of those issues and help alleviate my fears.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Their hours were very convenient for me. I was able to come in before work for my testing which made the process much less stressful for me since I did not have to worry about taking time off from my job.
My costs were reasonable. I did not have extensive or invasive procedures. Many of the diagnostic procures were covered by my insurance.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Dr. Rapisarda spoke honestly and completely. He explained everything slowly and repeated when necessary -as I was taking notes. I felt like he knew was knowledgable and that I was in good hands. After my first negative pregnancy he explained our next course of action.... One day I went to the clinic for the mandatory psych eval and saw Dr. Rapisarda and he spoke to me by name. I'm not a very vocal, questioning patient so that meant a lot.
How was your experience with John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Do not be thrown off by the size of the clinic. I saw it as a source of comfort versus a number or being in a baby factory.
I don't remember the protocols. I'm not sure that I ever asked for those details.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Nikki and Ali)
The first cycle I worked with Nikki. She was very compassionate and available. She answered all of my questions, looked me in the eye and kept great track of my records. During this second FET, I'm working with Ali and she has been just as compassionate and responsive. I want to buy them gifts!
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I'm amazed at how well FCI runs. If I ever needed an office manager, I would try to poach theirs. The admins at the front desk can be cold but they have little to do with care. Plus, they are the first line of offense so I'm sure they get a lot of pressure.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I typically went in at the top of the morning before work. I never had a hard time getting in early. The appointments ran well.
I only paid co-pays.
Dr. Rapisarda was clear on how many embryos to transfer and why. He ultimately allowed me to make my own decision.
2013 - 2015
IUI, 1 IVF
PCOS, Other
He [Dr Rapisarda] was direct but kind, and after years of feeling discouraged my husband and I finally felt a sense of hope. We were delighted to get pregnant on our first IVF cycle, resulting in a beautiful daughter. Two years later our son was born from a FET...I was very fortunate to have my IVF covered by insurance at 80%. The medication was often the costliest part of my care.
2013 - 2015
IUI, 1 IVF
PCOS, Other
How was your experience with John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
He was direct but kind, and after years of feeling discouraged my husband and I finally felt a sense of hope. We were delighted to get pregnant on our first IVF cycle, resulting in a beautiful daughter. Two years later our son was born from a FET.
Don't be afraid to ask follow-up questions. He's extremely knowledgeable and won't hesitate to give you more in-depth answers if you need them.
He was kind and very compassionate. I really could feel that he cared.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Sometimes a little difficult to reach when called in with questions, but responsive within the day to questions about lab work, etc.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
It's enormous, which is both a strength and weakness. But i always felt comforted being surrounded by so many other women going through the same thing I was. At last, after so many unsuccessful ultrasounds and IUI's at my obgyn, surrounded by happily pregnant women, I no longer felt isolated or like a failure. It's a very efficient clinic and I appreciated that I could often go in for blood work and ultrasounds early enough to not interfere with my work. And it was staffed by very kind people, from the front desk to the lab techs.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
I felt the Doctor [Dr. John Rapisarda] was compassionate and easy to talk to, without being arrogant. He talked with me about our chances of conceiving and the risks with transferring multiple embryos. He called me personally when they discovered the heterotopic pregnancy and that meant a lot to me.... I had a heyerotopic pregnancy and he personally called me to check in.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
I felt the Doctor was compassionate and easy to talk to, without being arrogant. He talked with me about our chances of conceiving and the risks with transferring multiple embryos. He called me personally when they discovered the heterotopic pregnancy and that meant a lot to me.
Ask a lot of questions and be honest about your expectations.
I had a heyerotopic pregnancy and he personally called me to check in. I loved my IVF nurse as well. I felt the Doctor was caring and very knowledgeable.
I used Lupron, Follistom, and Menopur. It was a 12 day course
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Christy Costa)
I loved having Christy as my nurse. She always responded same day and was very thorough in her communications. She never made me feel bad for asking questions. When I found out I was pregnant she was crying on the phone with me.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
It’s a large clinic and you do feel a bit like a number or cattle being hearded in the waiting room. Scheduling was easy but getting an initial consultation took about 2 months. That was disappointing when your so excited to get started.
We had some insurance coverage but I think it was between $10-$15k
He recommended a single embryo transfer but I opted to transfer 2 embryos
2012 - 2017
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Nothing alarmingly negative to report about Dr. Rapusarda, but nothing extremely positive...Advocate for yourself - no question is a stupid question. If you want to explore a different protocol, or medication - ask! Don't assume that because he doesn't mention it that it's not possible...We found that I responded very well to crinone vs other progesterone products. With my third IVF, we used the estrogen priming protocol to hopefully recruit more eggs - I did end up with the most eggs of my 3 retrievals
2012 - 2017
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Nothing alarmingly negative to report about Dr. Rapusarda, but nothing extremely positive. Due to the format of FCI in general, I never felt like a unique patient, but more like running on an assembly line,
We found that I responded very well to crinone vs other progesterone products. With my third IVF, we used the estrogen priming protocol to hopefully recruit more eggs - I did end up with the most eggs of my 3 retrievals, but in the end, still only had 2 embryos on day 5. (13 retrieved, 8 ICSI'd, 5 fertilized, 2 embryos on day 5, transferred one (miscarriage at 9wks), froze one).
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Strengths - efficient, mostly organized Weaknesses - you don't feel like a unique patient
Lucky to have great insurance which has covered most of my treatment
I've only ever had one or two to transfer so we've always done SET. In my first SET, the embryo split to identical twins (miscarriage at 8.5wks)
1 IUI, 4 IVF, Egg Freezing
He is very patient and takes the time to answer all questions. He understands the emotional aspect of fertility. He is accessible and makes himself available when there are questions... Dr. Rapisarda called us on his day off when our first transfer with him was unsuccessful.
1 IUI, 4 IVF, Egg Freezing
How was your experience with John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Don't be afraid to ask any question.
All my questions were answered. We had many face to face meetings both before and after cycles. Dr. Rapisarda called us on his day off when our first transfer with him was unsuccessful.
Two retrievals, two transfers, pgd, pgs, hysteroscopy for diagnostic purposes.
She was great! Very compassionate when we got bad news and just as excited for us when we got good news. She was easy to reach and always got back to us. She communicated through email too, which was nice for quick questions.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Very organized and efficient, but busy with a lot of patients.
Most costs were covered under my insurance.
Chicago
Dr. Rapisarda answered all my questions, laid out pros cons and left decisions up to me and I felt like I had options and choices which is huge because during this process you have very few options and choices. He is respectful and caring when things don't always work out the way they should.
How was your experience with John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Give him a try. He will listen and try to help you.
I was able to easily make an appointment and see the doctor when needed.
My stem cycle was 13 days. Started out on Follistem, then added Medipure was on low dose and monitored to ensure I did not get overstimulated.
Christy was available on email all the time and would respond back super fast. She was a huge help and would put your mind at ease.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Well organized, well oiled machine which is what you need when you have many many doctors appointments. Get you in, treat you and get you out.
After my deductible was met I paid nothing more.
Chicago
17 eggs first cycle; 32 second cycle [with Dr. John Rapisarda]. Did endometrial biopsy after 3rd failed transfer. Discovered I needed an extra half dose of progesterone. Got pregnant on next transfer...Very caring but also focused on treatment. Straightforward with what we needed to do to have a baby but also understanding that we had to make tough decisions. Always felt understood and included me in the decision-making process.
How was your experience with John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Antagonist protocol for both stim cycles. 17 eggs first cycle; 32 second cycle. Did endometrial biopsy after 3rd failed transfer. Discovered I needed an extra half dose of progesterone. Got pregnant on next transfer.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
They are very efficient. They do have a lot of patients and it can be very busy but I didn’t mind that. They have seen a lot of people and I felt confident that they could help us. Everyone was always friendly and compassionate.
Other, Unexplained
Dr. Rapisarda explained everything to the fullest extent (i am a healthcare professional, so for me it is easier to understand most of this "stuff"). He was empathetic when delivering bad news.
Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr. Rapisarda explained everything to the fullest extent (i am a healthcare professional, so for me it is easier to understand most of this "stuff"). He was empathetic when delviering bad news.
Make sure you write down all of your questions ahead of time to make sure you ask all of your questions.
The nurses at the office got to know me as a person and were there whenever i needed them. Dr. Rapisarda was always so caring and empathetic whenever i met with him.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Laura and Jessica)
The nurses were alwasy available via phone or email, and would spend any amount of time I needed talking through any questions or problems.
2013
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
I only did one cycle with Dr. Rapisarda. It was unsuccessful and we moved on to CCRM...I felt they [the staff at FCI] communicated very well...Loved my nurse. She was so sweet...aggressive antagonist approach.... Cheaper than Indiana because I was a self-pay and most people in Illinois have fertility coverage....They didn't have the best statistics. But I liked the people and I liked the facility.
2013
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Do research.
I felt they communicated very well.
aggressive antagonist approach.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Donna)
Loved my nurse. She was so sweet.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Decent. Cheaper than Indiana because I was a self-pay and most people in Illinois have fertility coverage.
2007 - 2012
He [Dr. John Rapisarda] was great, I would seek care from him again. I always felt like he has time for us and was honest about pregnancy chances as well. Nothing bad to say. I felt cared for and that he used words we could understand without talking down to us.... He will work with you all the way and is compassionate.
2007 - 2012
How was your experience with John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
He was great, I would seek care from him again. I always felt like he has time for us and was honest about pregnancy chances as well. Nothing bad to say. I felt cared for and that he used words we could understand without talking down to us.
He will work with you all the way and is compassionate.
Very caring, took time to answer all our questions.
No idea. This was 10 years ago.
I don't remember anything bad, they were kind.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
They were great! They were compassionate and kind, as well as discreet. I do t remember anyone specifically since it was so long ago now. Sorry I can't remember more details. Can you please accept fewer characters since I don't have anything else to say?
Sorry it was 10 years ago. However, I remember my insurance took care of most of it.
No, he was flexible.