Good

312-222-8230
2555 Patriot Blvd
Glenview, IL 60026
847-998-8200

Dr. Rapisarda seems very knowledgeable in the field. From day 1 he was very open to answering all of my questions and providing information. I never felt like I was being pushed into any specific treatments or tests. He maintains a professional manner without being too personal (which I personally don't like in doctors) and without also seeming cold.
I like that they [FCI-Glenview] open very early in the morning. I'm able to schedule majority of my ultrasound appointments and blood collection before I go to work. It works great with my work schedule. Only the doctor consultation and IUI are done during working hours. All of the staff are efficient and I'm able to get in and out of the office in great time... There are different nurses. The ultrasound techs only perform the ultrasounds for monitoring. They've been very helpful, pointing out anything that was relevant. The nurses that take blood are always caring. I have bad veins and have had issues being poked, but they've done a much better job than other places I've been to.
How was your experience with John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Don't be afraid to ask hard questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
The clinic does seem like it churns women through it. But all of my experiences have been good. The nurses are excellent.
Describe the protocols John Rapisarda used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of Illinois and their degree of success.
We started the process with testing my husband's semen for analysis and getting bloodwork done on both of us. Since we had been trying to get pregnant for a couple years of trying, and with normal cycles and ovulation, the first couple months we monitored my cycles and bloodwork and ovulation. I also had ultrasounds done to look at any physical issues and saline ultrasound to verify that my tubes were clear. Genetic testing was also done on me to see if I was a carrier of any of the most common bad genes. Everything came back good. Once everything came back clear, the doctor recommended starting with IUI and Clomid. The cycle used OTC ovulation kit to predict ovulation, a trigger shot and a scheduled IUI. Monitoring using bloodwork was done to rest estrogen levels and progesterone levels. I was given Prometrium due to low progesterone levels post IUI. Two weeks later I had the pregnancy test bloodwork done and it came back positive but with low HCG levels. Follow up tests over the course of a couple weeks weren't looking good. It turned out to be an ectopic pregnancy. Since I was being monitored so closely, we caught it early. I was prescribed Methatrexate to end the pregnancy and was told that I wouldn't be able to try to get pregnant for 3 months due to possible birth defects from the medication. I was given that information in advance of taking the medication. My options were to take Methatrexate or remove my fallopian tube where the pregnancy was. We ended up waiting about 5 months before the next IUI. In the meantime I had bloodwork monitoring until the HCG levels came back down to 0 and another saline ultrasound to make sure my tubes were cleared following the ectopic pregnancy. Round #2 of IUI, the doctor switched it up to try Femara. It works similar to Clomid but in a different way. Starting this cycle, I was monitored more closely with more ultrasounds to track the size of the follicles. Also did a triggers shot with Ovidrel, IUI and Prometrium on the latter part of the cycle. Pregnancy test came back negative. Round #3 of IUI, we went with Letrozole. Ultrasound monitoring of follicle sizes, Ovidrel triggershot, IUI and progesterone again on the latter half. Once again, negative pregnancy test. After two rounds of no results with IUI, the doctor recommended going with FSH injectibles. I was injecting 75IU of Follistim daily for 3 days, had a checkup and was told to go 2 more days at 75IU. After the next appointment, I was instructed on 1 day of 75IU and 1 day 66IU. Following those days, I was told to trigger shot with Ovidrel that night and IUI the following 1.5 day. A few days following the IUI, I was put on Progesterone in Oil shots daily. Pregnancy test came back positive. The first appointment to measure heartbeat (6wk), I was told the heartbeat wasn't as strong as they wanted to to continue monitoring. At the 7wk appointment, there wasn't too much growth from 6wks and the heartbeat was still lower than they wanted. They also said the gestational sac was irregular in shape. A few days later I had some light spotting. I was able to get in the next day and still there was low heartbeat and not any measured growth. The doctor indicated that it didn't look like a healthy fetus. I as told I could continue progesterone shots and see what happens. I was still spotting this whole time. A few days later I decided to stop the progesterone shots. When I went in for an ultrasound a few days after that, there was no more heartbeat. I was given several options following this. 1) I could wait and let my body miscarry the fetus on it's own which could take several weeks. 2) I could have a D&C to remove the tissue but there would be risk of scarring that could cause problems getting pregnant down the road. Or 3) Take Misoprostal to induce 'labor' essentially. It causes the uterus to contract and release the fetal tissues. The doctor explained the side effects of the medication and what the process would be like. He also explained that there is a chance that my body wouldn't expel all of the tissue and I might still require a D&C. I decided to take the Misoprostal that following weekend. It took about 5-10 hours for major cramping to kick in. About 12 hours later I had bad cramping and felt a rush of liquid and tissue pass. I collected the tissue in a specimen cup since we were going to send it off for genetic testing. Cramping continued for another day or so but got a lot lighter. 1.5 days later, I passed some more tissue, saved it and dropped it off with the other sample at the doctor's office. Bleeding continued, similar to period bleeding, for another couple weeks. It was very light. I went in weekly for HCG level monitoring until it dropped to zero. The tissue specimens were sent for genetic testing. All of the tests they ran came back normal. Since miscarriages happen typically due to a genetic abnormality, the doctor wanted to run a few tests to check for possible other issues. I had bloodwork done for immune system sensitivity that could have caused the body to reject the fetus. I also had a uterine biopsy done to check for bacterial issues that could have caused it. And lastly a bacterial swab of the vaginal cavity to check for bacterial issues. All tests came back normal. Essentially the miscarriage is unexplainable. The doctor said it still could have been genetic but something rare that isn't tested for typically. They only test the most common issues. After my cycle came back, we waited 2 months of normal cycles before trying two more rounds of IUI with Follistim injections and Progesterone in Oil. Both resulted in no pregnancy. We are currently in a self-imposed wait before jumping into IVF. This was a decision we have made as a couple. The doctor didn't even mention anything to us about switching to IVF. We just feel it's time to move on from IUI. In the next month or so we'll go in for our IVF consultation and see where that all goes.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
There are different nurses. The ultrasound techs only perform the ultrasounds for monitoring. They've been very helpful, pointing out anything that was relevant. The nurses that take blood are always caring. I have bad veins and have had issues being poked, but they've done a much better job than other places I've been to. The doctor's nurse is the one who calls to follow up on blood results and ultrasounds. She was also the one to perform the IUI and met with me to go over how to administer my shots at the beginning of this all.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I like that they open very early in the morning. I'm able to schedule majority of my ultrasound appointments and blood collection before I go to work. It works great with my work schedule. Only the doctor consultation and IUI are done during working hours. All of the staff are efficient and I'm able to get in and out of the office in great time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I had some insurance coverage, mostly for ultrasounds and bloodwork. But the IUI and medication was not. For a Clomid IUI cycle, I paid $1,600 after insurance. For Femara IUI cycle, I paid $1,450 after insurance. The Follistim monitored IUI cycles were about $2,500-3,500 based on how much monitoring was required. An office visit consultation with the doctor was about $300.
Describe John Rapisarda's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
We haven't had this conversation yet.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Following my miscarriage, I had genetic testing done on the fetal tissue. It had to be sent to a special facility out of state. But I never received any follow up until I reached out to the office for an update. The same happened with the uterine biopsy and immunity bloodwork I had done following the miscarriage.
Glenview

Dr. Rapisarda would support transferring multiple embryos if They were not PGS...has a very warm bedside manner and always listened intently and answered all of my questions honestly and frankly. I felt he always knew me and my case in detail and I never felt ignored or pushed aside...is very passionate and knowledgeable about his practice. He spoke to me gently when I needed it and frankly when I asked technical questions. There were times I felt I had to push to be more aggressive with treatment but he always met me where I needed to be and was supportive of our decisions.
FCI in general pushes for single embryo transfer especially when all other factors looks favorable. Due to my poor egg quality we were not willing to lose more embryos if my body wasn’t responding so we agreed. However, Dr. Rapisarda would support transferring multiple embryos if They were not PGS...The hours are difficult to work with sometimes. Especially if you work full time. The clinic in Chicago where you go for procedures is large and impersonal, but the Glenview clinic is lovely from the nurses to doctors to receptionists
How was your experience with John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr. Rapisarda is a wonderful doctor and is very passionate and knowledgeable about his practice. He spoke to me gently when I needed it and frankly when I asked technical questions. There were times I felt I had to push to be more aggressive with treatment but he always met me where I needed to be and was supportive of our decisions.
If you have a question about further treatment/ other treatment ask about it and if you feel it is something you want to pursue, then push for it.
Dr. Rapisarda has a very warm bedside manner and always listened intently and answered all of my questions honestly and frankly. I felt he always knew me and my case in detail and I never felt ignored or pushed aside.
We had to do 3 IUIs with chlomid before moving to ivf. For our first round of IVF we did an antagonist protocol and retrieved 16 eggs. Dr. Rapisarda discovered my blocked tube during this cycle, which my old OB missed, and he helped me get it taken care of through surgery right away so we could get back on track. I had my left tube removed and they cleaned up my low grade endometriosis, as well. We ended up with 3 day 5 embryos-no PGS, all grades A/B. We transferred one embryo that was not successful and decided to do another egg retrieval before moving on. We did a similar protocol this time with higher doses to try to get better eggs. We retrieved 14 eggs with better development, but we still ended up with 3 day 5 embryos. We decided to do PGS with these and discovered only one normal embryo was created. I was diagnosed with poor egg quality and we are preparing for our next transfer after doing an ERA.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Laura Borgeson )
Laura is my saving grace. She has become a friend and one of my biggest supporters. She understands the struggle and is extremely compassionate and empathetic
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I have rear insurance so once I reached my deductible I was covered at 100% the first cycle with surgery cost us around $8,000. PGS ($3800) was not covered or my era ($2,000) overall after 3 medicated IUIs, 2 rounds of IVF with PGS, one surgery and 2 ERAs we have spent about $12,000
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
The larger clinic in River North in Chicago is not always as organized as it should be. A nurse, not my assigned nurse, told me I was at risk for a cancelled cycle when I was not. This caused great distress in the middle of an IVF cycle, but my primary nurse cleared it up right away and apologized for the mistake.
2014 - 2015, Successful
Investor
He [Dr. Rapisarda] was open and honest with us about our situation. He spoke bluntly while remaining positive about his ability to help us with our specific situation. The game plan was very clear from the beginning. He made sure we were comfortable with the procedures we were going to undertake and did not push us to do anything we were not comfortable with. We only met with him three times...Dr. Rapisarda is very open and understanding and willing to work with his patients to achieve their goals in a way that is comfortable for them. He will be honest with you regarding what will and will not work
Their [FCI] hours were very convenient for me. I was able to come in before work for my testing which made the process much less stressful for me since I did not have to worry about taking time off from my job...I loved Jessica. She was responsive and always compassionate. Prior to visiting FCI, we had an early loss about a year prior. I was nervous about both my ability to get pregnant and stay pregnant. She was understanding to both of those issues and help alleviate my fears.
How was your experience with John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
My husband and I had a good experience with Dr. Rapisarda. He was open and honest with us about our situation. He spoke bluntly while remaining positive about his ability to help us with our specific situation. The game plan was very clear from the beginning. He made sure we were comfortable with the procedures we were going to undertake and did not push us to do anything we were not comfortable with. We only met with him three times - once during our initial consult, once after initial testing was completed and then an exit meeting after we became pregnant.
Be your own advocate. Dr. Rapisarda is very open and understanding and willing to work with his patients to achieve their goals in a way that is comfortable for them. He will be honest with you regarding what will and will not work but you should feel comfortable speaking up about your questions and comfort with procedures
I was diagnosed with weak ovulation, low progesterone and a possible mild case of PCOS. I was ovulating on my own each month but my levels were slightly below the normal range. I was prescribed Clomid and then used Crinone progesterone after ovulation. I got pregnant on my second cycle of Clomid
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Hamstra)
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Their hours were very convenient for me. I was able to come in before work for my testing which made the process much less stressful for me since I did not have to worry about taking time off from my job.
My costs were reasonable. I did not have extensive or invasive procedures. Many of the diagnostic procures were covered by my insurance.

2015, Successful
I felt the Doctor [Dr. John Rapisarda] was compassionate and easy to talk to, without being arrogant. He talked with me about our chances of conceiving and the risks with transferring multiple embryos. He called me personally when they discovered the heterotopic pregnancy and that meant a lot to me.... I had a heyerotopic pregnancy and he personally called me to check in.
I loved having Christy as my nurse [at FCI]. She always responded same day and was very thorough in her communications. She never made me feel bad for asking questions. When I found out I was pregnant she was crying on the phone with me.... It’s a large clinic and you do feel a bit like a number or cattle being hearded in the waiting room. Scheduling was easy but getting an initial consultation took about 2 months. That was disappointing when your so excited to get started.
How was your experience with John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
I felt the Doctor was compassionate and easy to talk to, without being arrogant. He talked with me about our chances of conceiving and the risks with transferring multiple embryos. He called me personally when they discovered the heterotopic pregnancy and that meant a lot to me.
Ask a lot of questions and be honest about your expectations.
I had a heyerotopic pregnancy and he personally called me to check in. I loved my IVF nurse as well. I felt the Doctor was caring and very knowledgeable.
I used Lupron, Follistom, and Menopur. It was a 12 day course
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Christy Costa)
I loved having Christy as my nurse. She always responded same day and was very thorough in her communications. She never made me feel bad for asking questions. When I found out I was pregnant she was crying on the phone with me.
We had some insurance coverage but I think it was between $10-$15k
He recommended a single embryo transfer but I opted to transfer 2 embryos
Chicago/River North
Dr. Rapisarda was very thorough and clear with us about our treatment plan, what to expect and any obstacles we've faced. He has adjusted the course of our treatment based and explained the adjustments along the way. ... For FET attempt #1, we did a course of estrogen and progesterone, plus baby aspirin and 3 monitoring visits prior to transfer. This resulted in a chemical pregnancy. Attempts #2 and #3 were cancelled because of fluid in lining due to prior c-section, and issues with lining thickness.
The downside [of FCI] is you're more like a number because they are so busy. I found the wait times for morning u/s and bloodwork to be extremely long recently. Expect that the financial coordinators for Dr. Rapisarda's team may be uninformed and callous - always double check their work. ... BCBS covered my care, but my employer has a lifetime maximum for fertility coverage. As I approach the lifetime max, that presents extreme complications with the cost of coverage for my family.
How was your experience with John Rapisarda at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr. Rapisarda was very thorough and clear with us about our treatment plan, what to expect and any obstacles we've faced. He has adjusted the course of our treatment based and explained the adjustments along the way. We are early in our journey to conceive child #2 with Dr. Rapisarda (saw a different doc for child #1), but we're hopeful that we will have success.
Dr. Rapisarda will explain all options to you pretty objectively, but I've found that if you ask him for his recommendation or opinion on best course of action, he will provide you with his feedback.
For FET attempt #1, we did a course of estrogen and progesterone, plus baby aspirin and 3 monitoring visits prior to transfer. This resulted in a chemical pregnancy. Attempts #2 and #3 were cancelled because of fluid in lining due to prior c-section, and issues with lining thickness. The protocols used were the same as attempt #1, then a stimulated protocol for attempt #3.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
The benefit of a place like FCI is high success rates, as it's a fertility factory. The downside is you're more like a number because they are so busy. I found the wait times for morning u/s and bloodwork to be extremely long recently. Expect that the financial coordinators for Dr. Rapisarda's team may be uninformed and callous - always double check their work.