6.3

Oak Lawn
4400 W 95th St
Oak Lawn, IL 60453
630.366.5100

In our opinion, he [Dr. Rinehart] wasn’t concerned about the success of my IVF round – he just wanted to get it over and done with. The most upsetting thing that occurred is when I asked him if it is normal to have an ovary produce no follicles. This is when he told me “Well you’re not normal. If you were, you would be sitting in an OB/GYN office instead of a fertility clinic.” That is absolutely uncalled for and he caused his patient to go home and cry.
My husband and I ended up having a horrible experience at RMI. ... Once I had all of my medications shipped to me, I had to proactively ask the coordinator if there was any risk of being on the medications I currently was on. Turns out one of the medications I was on couldn't be mixed with the fertility medication. They never asked me that in advance - it could have been a bad drug interaction if I didn't go out of my way to ask. That should be on their radar
How was your experience with John Rinehart at Reproductive Medicine Institute?
My husband and I ended up having a horrible experience at RMI. We initially were with Dr. Nayak and thoroughly enjoyed our experience with her. However, when she went on leave we were informed that Dr. Rinehart would oversee our IVF process and was assured that we were in good hands and he had the experience and qualifications necessary to oversee our IVF process. I was told that Dr. Rinehart would meet with us before the egg retrieval and conduct the ultrasound. I brought my husband with as I thought he would enjoy meeting him as well but the experience was not what we had in mind. When Dr. Rinehart entered the room, he barely introduced himself, didn’t shake my husband’s hand and went straight to business of conducting the ultrasound. I didn’t feel that he took the time to read up on my case because for one, he read my previous ultrasound results incorrectly and I had to correct him. He also made a comment “that would only occur if you have endometriosis which you don’t” but if he read my history correctly, he would have seen that Dr. Nayak found signs of endometriosis from previous ultrasounds. After concluding that I had three follicles in my left ovary and zero in my right ovary, I was shocked that he wanted to go forward with IVF. When I asked him if IUI would be a better option, he indicated that IVF is more successful than IUI. While that may be true, my insurance covers only 2 IVF cycles. A doctor should take into consideration ones financial situation as it is a highly risky financial decision to proceed with IVF with only 3 follicles. After consulting with a nurse from Progyny, she agreed that number was low for egg retrieval. Additionally, after meeting with another doctor at a different fertility clinic and telling him our experience, he confirmed we made the right decision to not proceed with egg extraction with only 3 follicles. In our opinion, he wasn’t concerned about the success of my IVF round – he just wanted to get it over and done with. The most upsetting thing that occurred is when I asked him if it is normal to have an ovary produce no follicles. This is when he told me “Well you’re not normal. If you were, you would be sitting in an OB/GYN office instead of a fertility clinic.” That is absolutely uncalled for and he caused his patient to go home and cry. It is already emotionally difficult enough for women going through this process. The last thing I (or any other woman) deserves is for a doctor to tell her that she is not normal. I am disgusted with his behavior and lack of bedside manner. I highly caution any couple seeking fertility services to see this doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Rinehart at Reproductive Medicine Institute?
Keep away
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Rinehart at Reproductive Medicine Institute?
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine Institute.
Coordinator is responsive; strength is that the have multiple locations throughout the Chicagoland area. A few of their offices are small and not in the best shape. The medication schedule is a bit outdated. They write it down on a piece of paper and scan it to you. Would be better if they got with the times and had an electronic version for patients
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Rinehart at Reproductive Medicine Institute.
A few hundred dollars as two medications were not covered under my plans formulary
What specific things went wrong at Reproductive Medicine Institute?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Reproductive Medicine Institute.
Chicago

He [Dr. Rinehart] did not explore my situation to the fullest he could have....we had such a poor stimulation but he continued with the egg retrieval....he didn't explore the blockage of hormone and my clotting issue. This lack of digging is frustrating. Also that we spent the time/money on an ivf cycle that should have been cancelled. He stated diet and other lifestyle factors weren't important and they were...He knew who I was and our situation...Dr. Rinehart also did not see value in looking into underlying health issues that affect my reproductive health (diet/ immune issues).
They [Reproductive Medicine Institute] were unorganized...Strengths- they were ok. I think they were understaffed and disorganized...Worked with [nurse] Rachel primarily. She was very compassionate. Sometimes awkward but this was not a problem for me. The clinic seemed understaffed. She was doing everything. She did most of my iui's as well. She also forgot to do certain things- request pharmacy perscriptions. Also the injection instructions were minimal. Worked mostly with youtube videos.
How was your experience with John Rinehart at Reproductive Medicine Institute?
He did not explore my situation to the fullest he could have. Went to subsequent doctors and they were surprised by a few things: One that we had such a poor stimulation but he continued with the egg retrieval. That he didn't explain why this happened. That he didn't explore the blockage of hormone and my clotting issue. This lack of digging is frustrating. Also that we spent the time/money on an ivf cycle that should have been cancelled. He stated diet and other lifestyle factors weren't important and they were.
Ask questions. Get second opinions. Do your own research.
He knew who I was and our situation.
Describe the protocols John Rinehart used in your cycles at Reproductive Medicine Institute and their degree of success.
First we tried IUI. we got pregnant- yay! Then we lost it :( We then tried two more IUI. Both failed. We then went right into two back to back cycles of IVF. I should have not done this. I should have taken time to increase my protein (make more follicles). First cycle I had only 3 follicles. It should have been cancelled. He put me on Birth control as part of the start of this cycle. It slowed my system way down and made me not produce enough follicles. So in my opinion this cycle should have been cancelled. Second time he did not put me on BC. He retrieved 6 eggs- none of them worked.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Reproductive Medicine Institute.
Worked with Rachel primarily. She was very compassionate. Sometimes awkward but this was not a problem for me. The clinic seemed understaffed. She was doing everything. She did most of my iui's as well. She also forgot to do certain things- request pharmacy perscriptions. Also the injection instructions were minimal. Worked mostly with youtube videos.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine Institute.
Strengths- they were ok. I think they were understaffed and disorganized.
It was expensive
What specific things went wrong at Reproductive Medicine Institute?
They were unorganized. Dr. Rinehart also did not see value in looking into underlying health issues that affect my reproductive health (diet/ immune issues). Other doctors are now addressing these. He told me only way to conceive was through egg donor. Other doctors disagree.
Evanston

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
I had an overall bad experience with Rinehart. It was the most difficult of all my fertility experiences. We had 0 embryos made it to blast, he was unable to regroup for several weeks and when we did regroup he said we would do ivf one more time (changing nothing in the protocol) and if that didn’t work he would suggest a donor egg ... In addition Reinhardt said I needed a surgery to get a fibroid out of my uterus. When the surgeon went in they found the fibroid was on the outside of my uterus
In addition we had a horrible experience with the lab [Reproductive Medicine] when they delivered the news that not one of our embryos made it to blast- they were cold and heartless delivering the news. ... I was in extreme pain when we left the doctor's office with a prescription for the pain. ... So we had to drive all the way back to the doctor's office so she could write out a piece of paper, all while I was suffering terribly, and it was totally unnecessary.
How was your experience with John Rinehart at Reproductive Medicine Institute?
I had an overall bad experience with Rinehart. It was the most difficult of all my fertility experiences. We had 0 embryos made it to blast, he was unable to regroup for several weeks and when we did regroup he said we would do ivf one more time (changing nothing in the protocol) and if that didn’t work he would suggest a donor egg. I think he doesn’t have a good lab or enough experience to try new and innovative things. Compared to other clinics I went to this seemed the least experienced. In addition Reinhardt said I needed a surgery to get a fibroid out of my uterus. When the surgeon went in they found the fibroid was on the outside of my uterus. I know many people who used donor eggs with Reinhardt and I feel bad that they may have had the opportunity to use their own eggs if the sought out more experienced doctors.
I would suggest not to go to him unless you want to end up with a donor egg and no variation in treatment.
We felt he wasn’t very invested in our success and at times going through the motions. In addition we had a horrible experience with the lab when they delivered the news that not one of our embryos made it to blast- they were cold and heartless delivering the news.
I do not remember. But I do know that he was not going to do anything different after a failed retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine Institute. (Assigned nurse: Rachel)
Here's an example of the lack of compassion and care we experienced. I was in extreme pain when we left the doctor's office with a prescription for the pain. When we got to the pharmacy we were told the prescription didn't exist in the dose prescribed. The pharmacy called the office and told them to wire in the proper prescription. There was some confusion on the phone and the pharmacist handed me the phone. Thinking she was talking to the pharmacist, the nurse said, "Just send them back here." So we had to drive all the way back to the doctor's office so she could write out a piece of paper, all while I was suffering terribly, and it was totally unnecessary.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine Institute.
Only strength is that it was close to home. There was nothing special an office. The transfers and retrievals had to be done further away at another location. It was a normal smaller office with rooms. It seemed clean enough. I never thought that it was unclean.
I don't remember. I believe it was through insurance - most things.
Describe John Rinehart's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Medicine Institute.
I had zero embryos make it to blast.
What specific things went wrong at Reproductive Medicine Institute?
was described earlier. They were not very thorough. They acted like I knew what to do which was not the case because it was my first time. I learned a lot online about what to do.
Evanston