4.7

9225 University Boulevard
North Charleston, SC 29406
843) 972-9444

Treated 2018 - 2019
It was suggested to transfer a single embyro and we did not discuss in any depth a multiple embryo transfer option. Early on Dr. Schnorr provided education on the risks of a multiple pregnancy...At times I felt like his approaches were aggressive and looking back I understand his approach but I lacked the education on infertility, treatment protocols and endometriosis to understand all of his decision making...I was extremely emotional during the consultation to begin treatment and he suggested I see a therapist implying that I was overly emotional.
We did three IUI cycles using letrazole, gonal F injections, ovidrel and prometrium [at Coastal Fertility Specialists]...I have had positive experiences with all nursing staff and especially Andrea. She has been warm, compassionate and prompt in answering questions and returning phone calls...Their anesthesiologist is not contracted and you have to pay for anesthesia up front (usually $400) but they will provide you a form for insurance reimbursement. I was told by the pharmacy that the clinic receives a special rate of gonal f pens which is lower than retail.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Schnorr explained things thoroughly in terms of my diagnosis and treatment. I was extremely emotional during the consultation to begin treatment and he suggested I see a therapist implying that I was overly emotional. Although I value therapy, I did not want to pursue it and it made me feel as if it was not OK for me to share the emotional impact infertility has had on me with him. At times I felt he became defensive with me when I questioned why I was doing ultrasounds and definitely when we went against his recommendation for our IVF protocol. At times my experiences with him were positive but I preferred interacting with the nursing staff.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Do your own research so that you can be informed and clarify your own expectations. Fertility IQ has been a great resource to fill in the blanks for education the clinic leaves out or to make our own decisions on treatment protocols.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I have never really felt like my personality meshed well with Dr. Schnorr. It could be in part because I have some discomfort working with a male physician. I think that the rest of the staff at Coastal is excellent. At times I felt like his approaches were aggressive and looking back I understand his approach but I lacked the education on infertility, treatment protocols and endometriosis to understand all of his decision making. I often had my guard up due to perceptions that fertility clinics operate as a business and may make recommendations for patients based on revenue. On a few occasions I was called out of the waiting room due to other patients being present with the same first name and being mixed up. At one point a staff member (who I had seen 3 days prior) tried do an intake on me after I had been a patient for about a year.
Describe the protocols John Schnorr used in your cycles at Coastal Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
We did three IUI cycles using letrazole, gonal F injections, ovidrel and prometrium. I was happy with the IUI protocols because adjustments were made each protocol that felt individualized, and we were more aggressive with gonal F each round to increase my chance of success. Although our IUI's were not successful it helped me become more comfortable with the clinic and build trust as I got to know staff and they tailored my protocol. I had friends seeing other doctor's tell me that they were disappointed their doctor had not been open to using a similar medication protocol or that they were using clomid with significantly worse side effects which gave me confidence in my treatment. We started IVF with a sonohysterogram and Lupron in the luteal phase.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Andrea Hall)
I have had positive experiences with all nursing staff and especially Andrea. She has been warm, compassionate and prompt in answering questions and returning phone calls. She shared that she was a fertility patient in the past which is comforting to know. I enjoyed having Sharon as an ultrasound tech because she was gentle and thorough and would explain in detail what the ultrasound readings were.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Coastal has better success rates than other clinics/RE's in the Charleston area. I would definitely recommend fertility treatment there vs. with another doctor or clinic. At times they weren't great at communicating next steps, the reason for procedures or providing thorough patient education.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
I had some insurance benefits. We paid about $2200 out of pocket for 3 IUI's which was comparable to what we were quoted. We paid a $6200 cycle fee for IVF and chose not to use insurance benefits for medication and were gives a quote of $3900 out of pocket for medication. Their anesthesiologist is not contracted and you have to pay for anesthesia up front (usually $400) but they will provide you a form for insurance reimbursement. I was told by the pharmacy that the clinic receives a special rate of gonal f pens which is lower than retail.
Describe John Schnorr's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
It was suggested to transfer a single embyro and we did not discuss in any depth a multiple embryo transfer option. Early on Dr. Schnorr provided education on the risks of a multiple pregnancy. Based on research we had done with Fertility IQ we agreed with the decision to transfer a single embryo.
Treated 2015 - 2018
Dr. Schnorr is an excellent, knowledgeable doctor. He explains everything in great detail, and will ask for questions multiple times. He does talk a bit fast though, I always feel rushed at our appointments. When I had some tests done (a dye test of my ovaries and fallopian tubes), he was very kind and made me as comfortable as possible. He is a very upbeat, a straight-shooter, and down to earth.
The clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is modern, clean, and comfortable. The staff is attentive, courteous, and do their best to move your appointment along, answer any questions, and make you feel welcomed. The only thing I don't like is the terrible waiting room music - 70s light rock.... My Care Coordinator and the nursing staff are all extremely kind and sweet, and very, very compassionate. Most of them experienced some kind of infertility themselves, and have empathy and understanding of what I'm going through.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Don't let him rush you; ask all the questions you need to make sure you understand.
Dr. Schnorr explains everything in great detail. Each time we have an appointment to see him, we have to wait longer than we should...and he talks really fast like he's trying to fit it all in, but also end the appointment quickly so he can get back on schedule.
I was prescribed Gonal F injections, as well as an oral mediation to help promote ovulation (I can't remember the name). My right ovary needs more shots to respond than my left, so dosages are different, depending on which side I'm ovulating from. I would take a trigger shot when it was time to ovulate, and then we'd perform the IUI, with progesterone vaginal inserts to promote implantation. My first IUI resulted in my son in 2016. I naturally conceived in 2017, but it was ectopic and miscarried naturally. I went back to Dr. Schnorr, and we have started IUI treatments (the same course as before) with no success. We are about to begin our 3rd cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Andrea Hall )
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The clinic is modern, clean, and comfortable. The staff is attentive, courteous, and do their best to move your appointment along, answer any questions, and make you feel welcomed. The only thing I don't like is the terrible waiting room music - 70s light rock.
Testing: bloodwork, thyroid, hormone levels, fallopian tube dye test, sperm count and motility, vaginal ultrasound - approximately $3500 and I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility. My IUIs (meds and insemination) cost between $1000 and $1500, depending on which ovary is active that cycle.
Treated 2014 - 2018
He [Dr. Schnorr] is very detailed and thorough. He doesn’t over promise but remains very positive. He was there every step of the way and really made sure I knew the whole process. He would follow up with me personally and I never felt rushed with him. He also tries to be financially respectful.... on my retrieval protocol I was started on a very low dose and had to quickly change as I was not responding.
Ask questions and do research on your own about coverage and finances. I don’t think the staff [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is educated on financial options and coverage because I got most of my financial tips from the doctor. Most of the staff is kind and welcoming. One of my interim nurses wore flip flops in the office which really annoyed me.... They did forget to put me on the schedule multiple times for monitoring but they always fit me in and my biggest issue was my paperwork was given to someone else and I got hers with all her personal information and insurance information.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He is very detailed and thorough. He doesn’t over promise but remains very positive. He was there every step of the way and really made sure I knew the whole process. He would follow up with me personally and I never felt rushed with him. He also tries to be financially respectful.
Do research and bring questions. I think regardless of who you see it is very important to ask questions and don’t be afraid to ask about failed cycles and finances. We typically don’t like to discuss but it is a big investment and he understands that.
He definitely has a very pragmatic approach and is encouraging.
I did 6 unmedicated iuis to reduce risk of multiples. Then I moved to ivf. I did retrieval one year ago transfer the next year. When I was on my retrieval protocol I was started on a very low dose and had to quickly change as I was not responding. I used low dose hcg in the morning and then added gonal f a few days in in the evening and then ganirelix to prevent early ovulation. I did this for about 17 days before getting my ovidrel shot to get my eggs retrieved. Because I’m petite I think he was worried about ohhs but I needed larger doses as I was not responding.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
I had my regular nurse but she was on leave when I went through the process and felt very tossed around wit the nurses. There was a ton of miscommunication that I finally had to ask to speak only to dr schnoor about my protocols. There is a nurse who would do my u/s and she was amazing. Very encouraging and thoughtful. I felt like a team with her. When my other nurse returned she was there for retrieval but she made me feel like a burden.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Ask questions and do research on your own about coverage and finances. I don’t think the staff is educated on financial options and coverage because I got most of my financial tips from the doctor. Most of the staff is kind and welcoming. One of my interim nurses wore flip flops in the office which really annoyed me.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
It was fairly organized. A few hiccups but overall easy.
I have probably spent 30k overall. With storage, iuis, appointments, procedures etc
Because I’m single it was recommended that I do 1 transfer.
What specific things went wrong at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Certain labs were not ordered. I can’t remember which labs but luckily it wasn’t a huge issue. They did forget to put me on the schedule multiple times for monitoring but they always fit me in and my biggest issue was my paperwork was given to someone else and I got hers with all her personal information and insurance information. I’m in health care so I made sure to follow protocol.
Treated 2017 - 2018
At times doctor Schnorr seemed rushed when talking with me and did not elaborate or go into as much detail ... He was always very gentle in his communication with us ... At times between cycles I had questions the nurse wasn't sure about and Dr. Schnorr called me himself and I liked that he was willing to give that personal attention to my concerns. ... sometimes I felt that my doctor wasn't especially invested in my case
They [Coastal Fertility Specialists] are very busy a ... I have nothing bad to say about the clinic, the financial advisor was straightforward and helpful and everyone on the admin staff and nursing staff was amazing. ... The nursing staff were all compassionate, responsive, organized, and supportive. I felt like they were all on my team and really cared about my outcome of treatment.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Schnorr seemed to explain information as he would to someone with absolutely no knowledge of fertility or biology. This makes sense for many patients but I felt frustrated by it at times because I came in with a good amount of knowledge and understanding of fertility and wanted more information. He was always very gentle in his communication with us and listened to my desire for bypassing less effective approaches like reducing exercise and stress and waiting a year or two. At times between cycles I had questions the nurse wasn't sure about and Dr. Schnorr called me himself and I liked that he was willing to give that personal attention to my concerns.
Ask questions and ask about ALL of your options, he can be aggressive in the treatment approach and may not provide information that he doesn't think you will understand.
At times doctor Schnorr seemed rushed when talking with me and did not elaborate or go into as much detail as I would have liked about my underlying cause of infertility and all of my options. My nurse Jessica was always very responsive to all of my questions and compassionate in the way she helped me throughout the process. Dr. Schnorr was always supportive and gentle in his communication with us.
The first two IUI cycles was femara with gonal f injections with IUI and the third was injectables only (gonal f) with IUI. I am currently doing injections for my fourth IUI before moving to IVF. My understanding is that this is his approach due to my anovulation stemming from hypothalamic issues.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Jessica wilkerson )
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
They are very busy and sometimes I felt that my doctor wasn't especially invested in my case but other than that I have nothing bad to say about the clinic, the financial advisor was straightforward and helpful and everyone on the admin staff and nursing staff was amazing.
I have state health insurance with a lifetime maximum of 15,000 the first two IUI cycles we paid about $1,000 out of pocket and the third and fourth closer to $1,500. At this time we have used over $7,000 of our lifetime maximum.
I wish now that he would have started with femara or clomid only with timed intercourse to reserve our insurance lifetime maximum.
Mount Pleasant
Dr. Schnorr spoke to me by my name and presented information in a down to Earth manner...is a very knowledgeable physician. He answers any questions you may have. Exhibits a positive attitude about every situation. He always addresses you with a warming smile. He is a trustworthy physician that I can rely on to give me the most up to date clinical information. He gives you all the information you need to know to make an informed decision.
My primary nurse Jessica [at Coastal Fertility Specialists] was amazing! She was always fast at getting back to me via email. She would sit down with me and answer any questions I had (which were many). She showed compassion and care towards her patients...$1,200 for IUI including medications. $12,000 for IVF including medications but not including PGD...Strengths were that they are very organized and prepared for any situation. They have many informational links on their website and provide you with additional information in office. The office is very up to date and they have the latest laboratory equipment for better outcomes. The office is aesthetically pleasing and warm for a patient who may feel uncomfortable.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Schnorr is a very knowledgeable physician. He answers any questions you may have. Exhibits a positive attitude about every situation. He always addresses you with a warming smile. He is a trustworthy physician that I can rely on to give me the most up to date clinical information. He gives you all the information you need to know to make an informed decision.
He knows his stuff!
For IUI I started with letrozade for 3 days then started Gonal F. I increased my dose of Gonal F every 3 days based on my labs and ultrasounds. When the follicles where the correct size a HCG trigger shot was given and the following day IUI was preformed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Wilkerson)
My primary nurse Jessica was amazing! She was always fast at getting back to me via email. She would sit down with me and answer any questions I had (which were many). She showed compassion and care towards her patients.
Mount Pleasant
He’s friendly overall but could be nicer and explain things better. They give you a packet of information to read instead of going over things with you. He [Dr. Schnorr] calls me to tell me some results which is nice but doesn’t explain things that well or answer my questions that great.... Letrozole for 5 days, gonal f, ovidrel, iui and prometrium. It seems they use the same things for everyone. We are in the middle of treatment so not sure if it will work yet
It’s really nice and clean. Everyone that works there [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is friendly. The people that take your blood are really nice same as the ones that do the ultra sounds. It’s busy usually a lot of people in there, i Just wish it wasn’t so expensive.... 200 to 500 for Ultra sounds and bloodwork, 1500 to 2200 for cost of iui, 400 ish for medications, consult was 250, hsg was 950
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He’s friendly overall but could be nicer and explain things better. They give you a packet of information to read instead of going over things with you. He calls me to tell me some results which is nice but doesn’t explain things that well or answer my questions that great.
Good doctor overall, expensive!!! Be prepared to spend a lot
Overall he is nice and friendly but could be better
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Jessica)
She is nice and sweet and gets back to my questions
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
It’s really nice and clean. Everyone that works there is friendly. The people that take your blood are really nice same as the ones that do the ultra sounds. It’s busy usually a lot of people in there, i Just wish it wasn’t so expensive.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Schnorr has a great bedside manner. He explained things clearly and with enough detail for us to understand. He was professional and caring. We only met with him once for our initial consultation but it was a good meeting and he made me feel like we were in the right place...Letrozole(2.5) for 4 days then Gonal F (37.5) followed by the trigger shot on our 1st round. The 2nd round was similar but we did the Gonal F longer I believe.
The staff in the Mt. Pleasant office [of Coastal Fertility Specialists] are very friendly. They called when I needed to speak to them even if it was after normal business hours...Andrea [nurse] was very sweet and demonstrated that she cared...Each IUI process cost roughly 1500-2000 including medications and visits...The Myrtle Beach office has a nurse that is a bit dry and not overly friendly. She does her job well but appeared to get frustrated when I asked questions regarding my treatment plans. The staff in the Mt. Pleasant office have always been very friendly. We felt very comfortable there.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Go into your appointment with an open mind and try to stay positive.
The staff in the Mt. Pleasant office are very friendly. They called when I needed to speak to them even if it was after normal business hours.
Andrea was very sweet and demonstrated that she cared. She called even after hours and answered all of my questions.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Each IUI process cost roughly 1500-2000 including medications and visits.
we did not do this yet.
Mount Pleasant
We will be starting the IVF process in a few weeks as he [Dr. John Schnorr] recommended...He was very kind and answered my questions. He was sympathetic and out me at ease about moving forward with IVF...overall I though he was great...I liked him and thought he was very knowledgeable. I wish we had more one-on-one time for more in-depth questions. I felt comfortable with him and think he will be great once we officially start the IVF process in a few weeks.
Testing [at Coastal Fertility Specialists was]- $2,000...I have had a good experience so far. The doctors, nurses and staff are all very kind and compassionate. They work with your schedule and are very helpful. The Lexington SC office isn't open for full days like the Mt Pleasant office, but they do their best to accommodate you...Cherub [nurse] was very knkwledable and helpful in answering questions. I felt a little rushed with her in the office, but she is great a returning calls and answering questions.
How was your experience with John Schnorr at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Come with your questions prepared ahead of time if you can.
He was very kind and answered my questions. He was sympathetic and out me at ease about moving forward with IVF. I wish we had more one-on-one time, but overall I though he was great.
We will be starting the IVF process in a few weeks as he recommended.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Cherub Hutto)
Cherub was very knkwledable and helpful in answering questions. I felt a little rushed with her in the office, but she is great a returning calls and answering questions.
Testing- $2,000
My husband and I want to transfer only one embryo at a time, and he is fine with that.