6.5

John Wilcox works at

55 S. Lake Ave
Pasadena, CA 91101

2015 - 2017, Successful
Dr. Wilcox looked at our failed cycle at a different clinic and was able to identify where they'd gone wrong. He adjusted my dosages, and also prescribed a growth hormone to help my eggs mature properly. I also received methyl prednisone after transfer to protect my embryos...Dr. Wilcox looked at our case as a unique case. He asked a lot of questions regarding the protocol of our previous clinic. He was able to immediately identify what they did incorrectly, and work toward finding a better solution and approach for us.
The clinic [HRC Pasadena] is absolutely beautiful. They take pristine care of it, and it is always clean. They start procedures when they say they will, and they take about as long as they say they will, as well. The receptionists could be friendlier. The nurses are excellent. We had a great experience...Teresa was incredibly on top of giving us all the information we needed to be successful. She was accurate and trustworthy. We really appreciate her.
How was your experience with John Wilcox at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Wilcox is very clear with what he thinks. If you ask for advice, he does not hesitate in giving you his opinion. He's very confident in what he does, and in our experience it's because he knows exactly what he's doing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Wilcox at HRC Fertility?
Trust him. He's spot on.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Wilcox at HRC Fertility?
Describe the protocols John Wilcox used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Teresa Fontanilla )
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The clinic is absolutely beautiful. They take pristine care of it, and it is always clean. They start procedures when they say they will, and they take about as long as they say they will, as well. The receptionists could be friendlier. The nurses are excellent. We had a great experience.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Wilcox at HRC Fertility.
Unsure
Describe John Wilcox's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
Dr. Wilcox was very strong in his recommendation to transfer only one embryo. Our embryos were pre-genetically tested, I am under the age of 35, and he thought there was a strong chance for pregnancy. He strongly advised transferring more than one embryo, as he thought it would result in multiples. He wanted to protect me, and the babies, therefore he strongly recommended we transfer a singleton.

2015 - 2017, Successful
Talk to him [Dr. Wilcox] upfront and tell him what kind of information you want to know. One size doesn’t fit all patients. ... He suggested a gestational carrier, but he listened to me about wanting to try to carry my own child. ... When IVF #1 didn’t work, he said it was probably my uterus contracting. IVF #2 was done under general anesthesia and it resulted in a healthy pregnancy. We both agreed that if IVF # 2 didn’t work we would try a GC.
Strengths - state of the art technology, PGS testing done in-house [HRC Pasadena]. Excellent surgery center. Weaknesses - the billing department is very disorganized. Check all your statements and invoices. Express any concerns they are usually immediately addressed. ... Teresa and the rest of the nursing staff (Stephanie, Nanette) were excellent! ... The nurses always called with my results of any testing. They all knew my name and they were very compassionate when my first IVF did not result in a pregnancy.
How was your experience with John Wilcox at HRC Fertility?
When IVF #1 didn’t work, he said it was probably my uterus contracting. IVF #2 was done under general anesthesia and it resulted in a healthy pregnancy. He suggested a gestational carrier, but he listened to me about wanting to try to carry my own child. We both agreed that if IVF # 2 didn’t work we would try a GC.
Talk to him upfront and tell him what kind of information you want to know. One size doesn’t fit all patients. Some people want everything looks great and some people want to know exact and detailed information. I was the latter and this was relayed to everyone working on my case.
IVF #1 - down reg protocol with Human growth hormone. ICSI and freeze all. PGS testing FET # 1 - estrogen shots and progesterone - one embryo transfer IVF #2 - same as one FET # 2 - same as one, but transfer was done under general anesthesia. FET
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Teresa )
Teresa and the rest of the nursing staff (Stephanie, Nanette) were excellent!
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Strengths - state of the art technology, PGS testing done in-house. Excellent surgery center. Weaknesses - the billing department is very disorganized. Check all your statements and invoices. Express any concerns they are usually immediately addressed.
Two cycles of IVF -$18k PGS testing - one cycle (free part of a study) second cycle $5k FET #2 general anesthesia $500
I have a unicornuate uterus so single embryo transfer was my only option.

2019, Consult
He [Dr. John Wilcox] listened to our concerns and answered all our questions. During out initial consultation he went into details about diagnosis options and different treatments...explained different possible scenarios...did not rush during out appointment...gave us all his attention and focus. We felt very comfortable...When he received my husband's specimen results, he referred us with a urologist...followed up with us after our appoint with the urologist and we are working on a treatment plan.
The clinic staff members[at HRC Fertility] communicate well...give you a courtesy reminder phone call...clinic and staff are very welcoming. They try to ease your stress by providing a clean and calming environment...The care coordinator has been facilitating our treatment plan. She has been very helpful and communicates well with us. She makes sure we understand what the next steps are.
How was your experience with John Wilcox at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Wilcox was great. He listened to us and took notes. He listened to our concerns and answered all our questions. During out initial consultation he went into details about diagnosis options and different treatments. He explained different possible scenarios. He did not rush during out appointment. He gave us all his attention and focus. We felt very comfortable with Dr. Wilcox.
Do not be embarrassed to ask him any question or discuss your concerns with him.
I felt like a human because he treated us with dignity and respect. He explained and answered any questions we had in a great honesty and clearly. He took his time during the consultation and devoted all his focus on us.
I have not had treatment with Dr. Wilcox yet. We only did a consultations and lab work. When he received my husband's specimen results, he referred us with a urologist. He followed up with us after our appoint with the urologist and we are working on a treatment plan.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Teresa Fontanilla)
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The clinic staff members communicate well. They give you a courtesy reminder phone call. The clinic and staff are very welcoming. They try to ease your stress by providing a clean and calming environment. The clinic environment is ver comforting.
We have not had treatment yet but he did give me a quote on treatment.

2015 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Wilcox was very nice and easy to talk with. He answered questions quickly, and never made me feel like a burden. This is a confusing process and he made sure that both my wife, and I, felt comfortable with moving forward....He's busy because he's good at his job. If you want communication from him, be willing to communicate yourself as well. Don't sit back and wait for answers, but pursue them.... I used/use birthn control pills starting the 2nd day of my menstrual cycle
The clinic [HRC] is great, just busy so sometimes the wait times are a little more than I would have liked. They also have a smaller parking lot. Other than that though, the staff was great, the facility is clean, and they tend to have great results.... In total, I have spent around $35k, and this is after he gave me a discount... [Nurse] She made me feel like I was her only patient, even though I know that's far from the truth with how busy the clinic is. She responded to emails and call the same day, and I knew I could count on her if I had a question.
How was your experience with John Wilcox at HRC Fertility?
The staff is always very friendly and asked how I was doing. Dr. Wilcox himself makes small takes and reminds you that he's just a normal person and that you can be candid with him.
I used/use birthn control pills starting the 2nd day of my menstrual cycle, for 10 days. Then, I used delestrogen every 3 days (0.1ml the first two doses and .2ml for all the others), endometrin inserts every morning and evening (7 days prior), progesterone shots every morning at 6am (7 days prior). I also started the medrol dose pack the morning of the transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ana Ballestro)
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The clinic is great, just busy so sometimes the wait times are a little more than I would have liked. They also have a smaller parking lot. Other than that though, the staff was great, the facility is clean, and they tend to have great results.
In total, I have spent around $35k, and this is after he gave me a discount

2014, Successful
He [Dr. John Wilcox] was very honest at our initial meeting and said that, given our past experiences, he didn't know whether IVF would work for us. He said he would not advise trying multiple times but would try once and see how things went. We were successful on our first try with Dr. Wilcox and had three genetically-normal embryos...We used genetic testing, which was very helpful in our case. Also used human growth hormone....he is up on all the latest research and cares very much about the success of his patients.
Would have liked even more direct communication with doctor, but I was very satisfied with the clinic [HRC-Pasadena] and would recommend it to anyone...They had packages (2 IVFs for a certain price, etc.), but the billing person actually suggested that we just pay for 1, and it turns out that's all we needed...[the nurses] very well organized, kind, responsive
How was your experience with John Wilcox at HRC Fertility?
Extremely competent. He was very honest at our initial meeting and said that, given our past experiences, he didn't know whether IVF would work for us. He said he would not advise trying multiple times but would try once and see how things went. We were successful on our first try with Dr. Wilcox and had three genetically-normal embryos. We were delighted, as our first attempt at IVF, in Portland, OR, had resulted in very low-quality embryos and no transfer.
Trust his advice. There is no need to second-guess his treatment plan--he is up on all the latest research and cares very much about the success of his patients.
Explained medical aspects clearly and intelligently
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at HRC Fertility.
very well organized, kind, responsive
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Excellent. Would have liked even more direct communication with doctor, but I was very satisfied with the clinic and would recommend it to anyone.
It was out-of-pocket for us. They had packages (2 IVFs for a certain price, etc.), but the billing person actually suggested that we just pay for 1, and it turns out that's all we needed.
We had three genetically normal embryos and were given the option of transferring one or two. He told us that two would very likely result in twins, and after a long discussion, we decided to transfer one and freeze two. We are very happy with this decision. I had an incredibly healthy and easy pregnancy and delivery.

2013 - 2017, Successful
He [Dr. John Wilcox] is very smart, great bedside manner. Only issue is clinic is very busy so he doesn't have that much time for you so you won't see him for all ultrasounds. I saw a physicians assistant on my initial appointments for my frozen cycle.... The clinic is incredibly busy but my doctor never rushed me or made me feel like he didn't have time to answer questions.
Weaknesses [for HRC-Pasadna] are the billing department. They are horrible! Terribly unoriganized. They really need to figure that out, but the treatment part is great. Also, they seem overly busy this time around (2017) versus when I went through IVF in 2013.... She [the nurse] was excellent. There was not a single email or call that she didn't return within hours, even after I had "graduated."
How was your experience with John Wilcox at HRC Fertility?
He is very smart, great bedside manner. Only issue is clinic is very busy so he doesn't have that much time for you so you won't see him for all ultrasounds. I saw a physicians assistant on my initial appointments for my frozen cycle.
Make a list of questions and ask him when you see him because he won't be there at every appointment.
We did a polypectomy before my first transfer and a hysteroscopy before the frozen one to make sure my uterus was "clean." Not sure if it was a factor but both transfers were successful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Nanette Villajoaquin)
She was excellent. There was not a single email or call that she didn't return within hours, even after I had "graduated."
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Weaknesses are the billing department. They are horrible! Terribly unoriganized. They really need to figure that out, but the treatment part is great. Also, they seem overly busy this time around (2017) versus when I went through IVF in 2013.
It was very expensive.
We did multiple embryos each time and both were successful. On the frozen cycle, one embryo split into 2.
Pasadena

[Our nurse] made me feel so good about my donor choice.
How was your experience with John Wilcox at HRC Fertility?
My husband and I both loved him. We felt like he was competent and we were in good hands. He somehow managed to alleviate away any stigma or anxiety or fear we had about the whole process.
Chose a donor that looks like you. It makes everything easier for you kids, because there won't be as many awkward questions. :)
I felt like he understood me and what I was going through. DE was a big adjustment for us to get our heads around, and he made it seem like it was not a big deal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility.
She made me feel so good about my donor choice.
I believe my IVF was $14,000, donor eggs $10,000 and meds about $5,000
2020, Consult
A positive experience thus far [at HRC - Pasadena]...[the nurses have] Speedy communication. Thorough and used multiple methods to ensure correspondence...We are still discussing with insurance...Still consulting with him [Dr. John Wilcox]. It was thorough and I feel comfortable thus far. He came highly recommended and I appreciated his patience with me. I explained my desires and expectations and he went in great detail about what I needed to do on my part to manifest the results I want...Have your questions prepared and do prior research so that you’re more educated on the process.
How was your experience with John Wilcox at HRC Fertility?
Still consulting with him. It was thorough and I feel comfortable thus far. He came highly recommended and I appreciated his patience with me. I explained my desires and expectations and he went in great detail about what I needed to do on my part to manifest the results I want.
I haven’t began cycles. I have only consulted with him.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
I am still experiencing them. I will let you know more with an update when I have done additional appointments. Thank you for your patience with my responses. This process has been a learning lesson with every appointment. A positive experience thus far.
We are still discussing with insurance
No comments. My next appointment is coming up.