Medical SchoolZhejiang U.
ResidencyNYU
4 Columbus Circle
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend John Zhang to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend New Hope Fertility Center to a friend?
DR. Zhang's mini IVF strategy uses less medication, more regular monitoring and a less invasive procedure. This procedures were done to adjust to our egg reserve and quality which have resulted in positive retrievals however no quality fertilization...has regular personal check ins and provides adjusted treatment practices to make sure we are being treated personally and in a sensitive way.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Zhang and Dr. Lipkin have been amazing during this process and have made every attempt to customize treatment to our needs. The monitoring experience reequires regular blood work and sonograms which have been difficult however we have been able to adjust the schedule to meet our needs and sync up to the staff that we prefer. The office staff and billing department are very transparent and accessible
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
The mini IVF process is a more gentile process than standard ivf and can take more cycles however it is less intense. I would suggest patients visit New Hope Fertility Center first before they go for a full IVF round at another clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Zhang has regular personal check ins and provides adjusted treatment practices to make sure we are being treated personally and in a sensitive way.
Describe the protocols John Zhang used in your cycles at New Hope Fertility Center and their degree of success.
The nurses are available to discuss treatment and review directions or protocols.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The strengths are definitely the gentle treatment option and the efficiency of the practice operations. The only weakness I would say is that any of the doctors can provide input on your protocol and the treatment could be inconsistent. You can request to have consistency and limit your response to a couple doctors which has made a huge difference for us.
The office is open 7 days a week including holidays and the monitor lists your name after you check in to see where you should go. We have a condition which requires the phlebotomist be very sensitive and they definitely comply with that. The sonograms techs are always up front with results and will sometimes bring in a team leader if more information is needed.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center.
Monitoring was about $600, retrievals and testing would be about $7k
Describe John Zhang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at New Hope Fertility Center.
We have not experienced this as of yet
Other, Prefer not to answer
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
I think he is kind and has a good personality. He does not have the massive ego that a lot of doctors have. However, he is very busy so you won't see him much. Although you can request to see him sometimes and you can pay another fee to get follow up consultations. I really do not know how good he is because he does not explain why he is doing things in this way instead of that way so I can't evaluate the why of what he does or evaluate his thinking skills. I am a person who likes to understand the reasons that decisions are being made so this is not the best style for me. But I'm not sure that any ivf doctors really explain much about their decisions to the patients.
This is a busy clinic. It can be frustrating sometimes as a patient because you can feel like a widget on an assembly line. On the other hand, there are some ways that they automatically personalize the service in ways that other clinics do not. For example, you get to decide for yourself whether you want to use sedation for egg retrieval or not. I prefer not, which saves us $500 each time. I also do not like sedation so I am happy I can choose not to use it. Most ivf clinics will not allow you this choice. I have inquired at many clinics and 99% force you to use sedation even if you are only retrieving one to three eggs. I do not think that is a reasonable approach and I think it is disrespectful to the patient to take away their right to make medical decisions about things that are not truly a necessary part of a procedure. I think allowing the patient this choice is part of the general approach of respecting the patient so this is one of the things I love about New Hope.
This is a very busy clinic, which allows them to keep their costs low. They are much cheaper than any other clinic I have contacted in America and I have called many. Because of their high volume, I don't think they really have time for a lot of very individualized attention but they do their best. Dr. Zhang is really very nice. All their doctors are very nice. The nurses are hit or miss.
I mostly did natural cycles with mini or ultra mini ivf a couple times. This is because I am at an age where I don't have many eggs to conventional just would not do anything beneficial for me and would have some negatives. We have two five day blasts frozen. We did not pgs test them so we do not know if they are aneuploidy. We were told that at my age, the likelihood is that they will not have normal chromosomes. The clinic let us decide whether to test them and did not pressure us either way. We are trying to collect and freeze several five day blastocysts while we can and implant later.
The nursing staff seems very busy. Some of them are nice but a couple are uncaring and downright rude; these ones may not have much empathy for the amount of money the patients are spending or the mental stress of being infertile. In our case, we have spent all of our savings and then had to stop making attempts and then saved again for almost a year to try again because for us it will be a numbers game. The doctors said that my fertility is unusually good for my age but our chances of a baby are better if we can freeze several embryos. We will never regret using all our savings for this and all future savings. However, it is a big sacrifice and it is an all day round trip drive for us every time we go there. I also suffer from extreme motion sickness so when we arrive at the clinic, I am always feeling very ill. Everything about undergoing ivf on a budget is extremely difficult. The doctors seem to understand this but some of the nurses often seem to lack the maturity to understand what the patients are experiencing.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
This clinic is open seven days a week for monitoring, which is great. Unfortunately they only do egg retrievals before about 11:30 so that means doing a natural retrieval is impossible and you have to use a trigger. I think this is common for most clinics. At least they are open seven days a week. Many clinics close on Saturdays and/or Sundays. As I mentioned, they allow you to do retrievals without sedation if you want, which also saves you $500 and in my opinion is healthier for your brain. They have an in house lab for the standard monitoring bloodwork. They get good prices on outside lab work. Monitoring is much cheaper there than at other clinics I have researched. I don't like the smell they pump in to the clinic. We call it the New Hope smell and our clothes/coats/hair reek of it after being there. We are both very smell sensitive so we wish they would not use any fragrances in the clinic. I have not done any cycles at other clinics so I do not know what the differences are in how much individual attention you get.
Monitoring is very efficient. You go when you can get there and the wait is usually not that long.
It depends on what you do. It is much cheaper than most clinics if you are paying for your own cycles. We have never had insurance which covers ivf so I have no idea how that would work.
It seems that the doctor and clinic overall prefer to implant one embryo because they feel this gives the overall highest chance for success. But I think they allow the patient to decide this within reason.
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
Though he [Dr. Zhang] got me pregnant with normal pgs girl, I miscarried. And each cycle after that he refused to listen to me or change protocol. I noticed a trend with my labs during monitoring, which I was right about, but he just didn’t care...originally said it would be mini ivf. But it wound up being ultra mini ivf with clomid only (one cycle he used letrozole).... each cycle I only produced one follicle. And I pay out of pocket. I asked if we could stimulate me more, given I’m Paying for a retrieval for one egg, but he kept saying no
European, Latino
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Though he got me pregnant with normal pgs girl, I miscarried. And each cycle after that he refused to listen to me or change protocol. I noticed a trend with my labs during monitoring, which I was right about, but he just didn’t care
Listen to their concerns
Never got to speak w the Zhang. Nurses wouldn’t even call you. They send you an email with your instructions. If you have questions it’s impossible to get in touch with them
Dr Zhang originally said it would be mini ivf. But it wound up being ultra mini ivf with clomid only (one cycle he used letrozole).... each cycle I only produced one follicle. And I pay out of pocket. I asked if we could stimulate me more, given I’m Paying for a retrieval for one egg, but he kept saying no
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Hope Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: All of them )
Terrible!!! Awful!!!! I would expect the doctors to be cold, and nurses to be warm but frankly it was the opposite here. They send you a generic email with instructions. It’s a template. If you have questions they won’t answer you. And if you call them the receptionist (liliana) will never connect you. While I was miscarrying in the ER, I’m hysterically crying, in my stretcher and I call them to let Dr Zhang know ... Liliana answered (the receptionist) and said “you are no longer a patient here”. (I was 7 weeks and never discharged to my OB). As I’m crying in the phone, begging her to connect me to my dr she continues to passive aggressively tell me “I graduated” and was no longer a patient there. Long story short —- after that traumatic experience, I made a formal complaint the following week. The supervisor told me liliana had put in her resignation the week prior so “that’s probably why she was behaving that way” .... fast forward two months, Liliana is back. I speak with supervisor as to how she can work there with how she treated me and refused to connect me, a patient, to my dr while I’m in the ER miscarrying. The supervisor said “we gave her extra training afterwards” Terrible. Need I say more
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Strength: they don’t give up on you and don’t tell you to go for donor egg. They have an amazing lab. Weakness: they too won’t change protocol and they treat you like a number. AWFUL nursing staff. No contact with anyone when you have questions. No one is accessible.
affordable Retrieval $1250
N/a I only had one embryo
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
There was never a time that I could speak with the doctor [Dr. Zhang] and there were way too many patients at once...I only saw Dr Zhang once for the initial visit and then for about 10 minutes 1/2 way through my full treatment. Upon my initial visit I spoke with him about how i did not want to experience feeling like a number or that I was in an assembly line, and of course that was exactly what I experienced.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Not to expect too much communication. That you will have to do a lot of your own research. Make sure that all of your tests are done and be your own advocate.
There was never a time that I could speak with the doctor and there were way too many patients at once. At times the nurses weren't helpful; which led to the feeling of not being satisfied.
I do not remember the name of the protocol that he put me on. The first round was more aggressive than the other ones; but I used the following medications Birth Control pills - - which I told him that I was nervous about, due to the fact that they can make fibroids grow...he (or the nurses) would tell me they weren't anything to worry about Clomid Ganirellex Follistim
Most were nice, and competent. There were a couple that were very responsive and got back to you quickly; while the others were more curt and I felt viewed me more as a box that they needed to check off by the end of their day.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
strengths - his protocol is more rogue than most. Non-traditional and the costs are less. The phlebotomists are good. weaknesses - You end up paying just as much, if not more, than you would at a traditional facility. The staff is not great, some of the nurses are inexperienced & do not know how to administer an ultrasound, et al.,
My monitoring was pretty simple. I did appreciate the large window of time that was allotted and I was able to usually be in/out within 45 mins.
A good portion was covered by my insurance. However, I spent roughly 10,000 OOP (between medications, costs of retrievals and the anesthesia)
I never got to the transfer stage with his facility, so I can't comment on that. Had I, I would have preferred to transfer more than one at a time.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Zhang, was very upfront and blunt about what my expectations should be, in some ways, I as a patient appreciate that. He is very focused on his research side of his practice...After the first appointment with Dr. Zhang, I was basically put on auto-track for the 3 cycles I did with NHF. Never was there a change discussed after any cycle or summary/thoughts... I sought NHF because of there mini-IVF protocols for patients with PCOS
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Zhang, was very upfront and blunt about what my expectations should be, in some ways, I as a patient appreciate that. He is very focused on his research side of his practice, that I think he is too busy to really be focused on the everyday goings on in his clinic.
Be prepared for a very academic discussion, and don't expect any type of handholding. There is very little direct communication with this doctor, the rest of the team will be your main contacts.
After the first appointment with Dr. Zhang, I was basically put on auto-track for the 3 cycles I did with NHF. Never was there a change discussed after any cycle or summary/thoughts, unless I asked to do something different. The office is very streamlined, and efficient, so much so, there is a lack of personal interaction. Also, I had had a bad experience with the staff from my first clinic, without any thoughts to my feelings a doctor that treated me from that clinic should up at an egg retrieval at this clinic, since this procedure is timed, I felt I had no choice but to allow him to do the retrieval. I almost did not go back for the next cycle I was so distraught.
Because I had had several cysts with my first doctor, I sought NHF because of there mini-IVF protocols for patients with PCOS. I did 3 late luteal phase mini-ivf cycles using letrozole, clomid, and gonal-f, with lupron after the first retrieval to allow for a second retrieval in one cycle. The rationale was that we could stimulate the lagging follicles to get more eggs per cycle. I was able to get two embryos during the first 2 cycles, they were sent out for PGS testing and came back abnormal and per the labs protocols, they were discarded.
The nurses were all very pleasant and all had good beside manners. However, because you are not assigned to a particular nurse, there is no one to directly to talk to if an issue arises.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
NHF's strength is their efficiency, you are not waiting for blood work-ultrasound more than 30mins ever, results from that days monitoring is emailed, with all vital information and instructions within 2 hrs of leaving the clinic. The cost for mini-ivf is great if you have the time to go slow, (ie younger patients). The weakness is the lack of contact with any direct person, you are talking to various nurses, doctors, and admin-financial staff. At one point my payment was put on someone else's account, although I had just handed them my credit card with my name on it. I also had to fight to get balances removed for treatment that was not performed. I had by chance caught the mistake because I asked for a ledger with all treatment that I was charged for because the bill for the 2nd cycle was more than the 1st, even though I did the exact protocol.
Monitoring was very efficient and the window of time to go in was very reasonable.
Mini-IVF costs were very reasonable at nearly less than half the cost compared to conventional stimulation protocols. Also, out of pocket expenses such as PGS and ICSI were less than at institutional clinics.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
I had hardly any face time with the doctor [Dr. Zhang] and was never given any explanation of my test results or prognosis...Dr. Zhang seemed disinterested in patient relations and had a formulaic approach to treatment planning...doctor missed one egg so had to bring me back from the recovery area and repeat the procedure...I did not have an AMH test, which would have helped me decide whether to proceed to IVF using my own eggs. I was also advised to do an egg retrieval (for $4,000) for just one egg.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Zhang seemed disinterested in patient relations and had a formulaic approach to treatment planning. It was my first time seeking treatment and I didn't know what questions to ask. I took for granted that I would be directed toward the best course of treatment and unfortunately trusted his judgment. When I did ask questions based on my own research, responses from Dr. Zhang and most staff were often vague or evaded altogether. For example, I did not have an AMH test, which would have helped me decide whether to proceed to IVF using my own eggs. I was also advised to do an egg retrieval (for $4,000) for just one egg. When I asked questions about both of these things I was given either no answer or confusing information that left me feeling like I was worrying for no reason because this was how fertility treatment worked. When I switched to a different clinic I was advised that an egg retrieval for less than 6 eggs is not worthwhile. I was also told that the genetic testing I did at New Hope (for $200) only tested for 5 markers instead of the recommended 281 markers so I had to repeat it. At the new clinic I had an AMH test and an HSG (New Hope did not inform me about either of these tests) and was quickly able to make an informed decision about my next step.
I would not recommend this doctor.
I had hardly any face time with the doctor and was never given any explanation of my test results or prognosis.
Two months on BC pills with weekly monitoring (waste of time and money). Clomid and Femara. Lupron injection.
One nurse, Gina, was quite attentive and compassionate. The rest were somewhat robotic.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The clinic itself is pleasant enough except the waiting area has a very strong perfume/air freshener that was hard to tolerate. Strength: everything is on site. Weaknesses: One size fits all treatment model, lack of transparency, genetic screening is not thorough, there is no personal attention, treatment is dragged out over many many weeks unnecessarily.
Relatively fast and simple.
Genetic screening $199 (useless), monitoring flat monthly fee of $800, egg retrieval $4,000 (even one egg)
New Hope Fertility Center
I believe dr zhang is very knowledgable in his field. But he is not for someone that wants a gentle bedside manner. He is to the point and will show you charts/graphs demonstrating where you land on % of success based on your age range. The only times I met with him was for the first consult and then at the end of the cycle for follow-ups. The clinic did mention that if I wanted to speak with him, that I should arrive in the office between 7-9am, otherwise the rest of his day is booked with new patient consults. It was also other drs that performed my retrievals. I had wondered if Dr Zhang was the one that was monitoring my ccle progress and adjusting dosage instructions, or if it were other doctors reviewing my case.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Ask all your questions, be straightforward, dont expect hand-holding
The nurses and techs working in the clinic were always professional and courteous. I understood the dr was very busy as the clinic was always quite busy and crowded, but I would have liked more face time with the dr since most emails and correspondence on next steps were always from nurses.
Mild IVF - started with estrace priming, then clomid, letrozole pills, and follistim injections starting at 75iu. Continued with a mix of clomid and letrozole pills, and varying dosages of follistim(from 75-150iu) up until lupron trigger and then retrieval
Nurses were very friendly and helpful in clinic, but were a little slower in response via email. One time they emailed me regarding medication dosage and I replied back to them and needed another refill and did not hear back until the next day, which was a problem because I needed the medications the night before
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Strenth: everything is done in house so blood results and sonos are quick. They have really flexible hours for monitoring, between 7am-2pm, which is amazing compared to many other clinics. The retrievals/transfers are also done in the same facility so you dont have to pay an extra hospital fee of $1005 like over at Cornell and NYP. Hated the billing department! Took them 4 months to correct an insurance payment and apply the credit to my account.
The clinic had monitors on the walls that called your name up when it was your turn to get blood drawn or to go inside the the sonogram. I appreciated this aspect of their monitoring system, instead of relying on someone calling out my name. I was able to go to the appropriate station as I saw my name come up
I did not have insurance coverage so it was put of pocket. Mild ivf cost about$6,000 which included cost of medications. Luteal Phase retrieval cost $250. And PGS for one embryo clst $750
3 Egg Freezing, IVF
The Dr [Dr. John Zhang] was nice and very straight-forward... And the lack of seeing a dr was really irritating. I did mini-IVF and we were freezing eggs due to male infertility. They did not explain the importance to freezing embryos vs. eggs and i feel like I wasted a lot of time and money doing treatments and retrievals...Monitoring was easy. The hours were very expansive so you didnt have to rush to be in line like other clinics to be seen in a small window.
3 Egg Freezing, IVF
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
The Dr was nice and very straight-forward. I found the technology at the practice from the waiting room to the email system, nice, but the billing department was a disaster. They overcharged me constantly and even once, held a payment over my head the day before a retrival, saying i couldnt have the procedure done unless I paid the bill. It was only submitted to my insurance a week beforehand and had not been processed. They made assumptions about my plan and charged me for things my insurance covered. It was extremely frustrating. And the lack of seeing a dr was really irritating. I did mini-IVF and we were freezing eggs due to male infertility. They did not explain the importance to freezing embryos vs. eggs and i feel like I wasted a lot of time and money doing treatments and retrievals.
Push for information and check your bills very carefully.
They do everything by email which is fine unless you have questions. often times questions go unanswered, i had meds not called in, and problems not addressed because you dont have a dedicated nurse. The volume is too high and they are not responsive via email and i have often called 3x to get someone on the phone to only be told they will call me back. I went into a procedure without having antibiotics or anxiety meds i requested more than 3x.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Pro- high tech, convenient location, smaller, more friendly than other clinics, sat hours for cyro and other appts Cons - Disorganized billing, no dedicated dr or nurse, you never see a dr, Waited 3 HOURS for a transfer once with little updates or sympathy
I have benefits via my employeer so I shouldnt have paid anything other than for meds. Every bill had to be scruntized with Blue Cross as this clinic made assumptions about my plan. They ended up cutting me a check for almost $1000.00 of which i was over charged. I'm pretty sure i still over-paid but was so annoyed with them, I moved on. Too stressful and they're so rude.
The mini-IVF was a waste of time for me. We only yielded 5-6 per round and had to cancel a few due to lack of stimulation. Was expensive and only one egg made it to blastocyst and was day 7. We were not told not to try and transfer it, but having spoken to other clinics now, i realize that was a waste of time and money.
New Hope Fertility Center
The doctor was unable to communicate clearly with me regarding my diagnosis, and best options, when I was able to actually speak with him directly. There was little explanation ever given for treatment choices recommended to me or discussion of how I should make decisions about what to do next after a failed cycle.
South Asian, Ashkenazi Jewish
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Go somewhere else, if you are seeking treatment with doctors that can provide regular, and clear communication.
Once I had an initial consultation, it was almost impossible to have a conversation with a doctor about my treatment. I once waited three hours for an appt with a doctor after I repeatedly requested an appt and was finally given a time.
New Hope recommends a "natural" IVF approach that is low dosage and involves fewer injectables. They claim that this is equally/more successful than traditional approaches, but they do not take into account age or diagnosis in personalizing a protocol. I produced very few eggs, and none matured far enough for transfer.
There are no assigned nurses, just a rotating group who will work with you when you arrive for monitoring, etc. They leave you emails with instructions and follow up, and if you try to ask a follow up question, you may not hear back from the same person.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
They are conveniently located and take many forms of insurance. They may work effectively with younger women, but do not seem to have any particular strength working with women who need more customized protocols.
It was very quick and efficient, but there was no interaction with doctors.
They creatively use insurance, to minimize uncovered costs. My out of pocket costs were probably about 5K.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
In my first consultation, I saw Dr Zhang two and a half hours after waiting past my scheduled appointment time. I also did not like Dr Zhang's abrupt explanations to my questions. He said mini-IVF was the treatment for me and he was over zealous about my chances of success. I never saw him through the rest of the cycle. I always communicated with his nurses and assistants. The cycle was not successful. I scheduled an appointment to see Dr. Zhang for explanations and answers. He explained that it might be the fault of the doctor or maybe they retrieved my eggs at the wrong time. Then he just told me to try again. It felt like they just wanted me as a customer.
Go somewhere else.
1) Waiting for an appoint with Dr Zhang always took a long time. 2) A different nurse contacted me after every ultrasound result to provide instructions. At other clinics, it was always the same person. New Hope felt impersonal. 3) The egg retrieval was impersonal. I was just told to take everything off from the waist down. In two other IVF clinics I attended, you took all your clothes off under the gown. 4) No anesthesiologist checked on me to ask about allergies or medical conditions. When it was my turn, they were running far behind schedule and they acted very rushed. It did not sound like they were going to be careful. 5) Dr Zhang was not the attending physician during egg retrieval. It was someone else. Dr Zhang never told me that it would be another doctor. I never saw Dr Zhang. This was a shock to me. I had never met this other doctor before, and he never introduced himself to me. He just asked me how many follicles I had and if I had IVF before. That was all. He never bothered to read my patient history. 6) No doctor came to talk to me after the retrieval. No one else told me what happened. I was told that I can go home. They never checked if there was someone to drive me home. They never gave me any water or food. That was a horrific experience.
He prescribed minimal stimulation IVF. I started on birth control pills: two pills a day for 2 days, then 1 pill a day for 3 days, then half a pill a day for 3 days. Seven days later, I started clomid: 50 mg/day for 5 days then 25 mg/day for 4 days. At the same time I started clomid, I took letrazole 2.5 mg/day for 6 days. One day after starting clomid and letrazole, I started follistim: 75 IU/day for 7 days. One the last day of follistim, I injected half a syringe of ganirelix. The trigger was 10 IU lupron and 150 IU ovidrel. The rational for the procedure was not explained, other than to say that this is the minimal stimulation protocol.
The ultrasound and blood work were okay. The problem is that I was contacted by a different nurse every time when the communicated the ultrasound and egg retrieval results. One nurse did not write English well. It was hard to understand. During the egg retrieval day, there were no nurses to take care of patients. She just put on my patient bracelet and left me to wait for my procedure. They did not take my vital signs. No one took my blood pressure. Afterwards they did not give me any water or food. They just told me to leave. They did not ask if I came alone or if there was anyone to drive me home. There was minimal communication and it was all impersonal.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Scheduling time with Dr Zhang is hit and miss. Sometimes you get to see him soon, other times it is a long wait of up to 2.5 hours. The clinic is new and clean. Utrasound and bloodwork is efficient and the wait time is short. The problem is on egg retrieval day. It was the most horrific experience of my life. The assistant checking me in told me not to be scared about what I see in the waiting room. When I entered the waiting room, I saw the same room doubled as recovery and waiting rooms. There were no beds. A patient was sleeping on a sofa, recovering from her retrieval. Another woman was left to walk out of the room on her own with no help. She did not have anesthesia. Another woman was in so much pain, she had to be wheeled out in a rolling bed. It was so busy that I had to wait in the recovery area as patients came out of their retrieval. I saw patients coming out like this one after another and I can see every one was not feeling well. There was no privacy. I could see and hear the nurse telling every one about their retrieval results. I had to wait two hours for my turn. I was very upset and scared, sitting there watching all of this happening. I was just told to take everything off from the waist down. In two other IVF clinics I attended, you took all your clothes off under the gown. Here, they just wanted you to drop your pants for a quick retrieval. It was a rushed factory. No anesthesiologist checked on me to ask about allergies or medical conditions. When it was my turn, they were running far behind schedule and they acted very rushed. It did not sound like they were going to be careful. Dr Zhang was not the attending physician. It was someone else. Dr Zhang never told me that it would be another doctor. I never saw Dr Zhang. This was a shock to me. I had never met this other doctor before, and he never introduced himself to me. He just asked me how many follicles I had and if I had IVF before. That was all. He never bothered to read my patient history. He started working on me before the anesthesia took effect. I had to tell them to wait. They never put any blood pressure cuff on me. The room was dark. The operating room in two other IVF clinics I attended were brightly lit. How can they see in the dark? There were no nurses in the operating room. In other IVF clinics I attended, there was a whole team of people helping with egg retrieval. This made me worried about my treatment. Everything felt careless and dangerous. When I woke up, the nurse told me they could only retrieve 4 eggs. She also told me 2 of those 4 eggs were broken. I was devastated to hear this. No doctor came to talk to me. No one else told me what happened. I was told that I can go. They never checked if there was someone to drive me home. They never gave me any water or food. That was a horrific experience. It was traumatic to hear that they broke my eggs and then they just asked me to leave. Afterwards, I could not find any information anywhere about how eggs can be broken. I emailed the nurse to ask. She told me that this can happen when they use high pressure to aspirate the eggs. I contacted other clinics to find out if this can happen and they told me that they have never heard of eggs breaking. I scheduled an appointment to see Dr. Zhang. He explained that it might be the fault of the doctor or maybe they retrieved my eggs at the wrong time. After the anesthesia, I felt nausea and dizziness. I never felt like this when I recovered from other procedures under anesthesia. I also had pain and inflammation for 1 week after the procedure. I never felt this bad with the other two retrievals I had in other clinics. It felt like they were not careful with the anesthesia and they were so rough during retrieval that there was probably scarring and that was how my eggs were broken. Since I don't have many eggs, every egg counts. I was devastated to hear that they broke 2 of my eggs. That IVF cycle was not a success. I will always wonder if those 2 eggs were not broken because of New Hope's carelessness, I would have had a successful procedure. I would not recommend anyone to go here. If this happened to you, you will always be left wondering if your broken eggs was a lost opportunity.
Monitoring was no problem. It was efficient and the wait time was short.
I did not get any bills yet, except the anesthesia bill for $500. I think the rest might be coming later. I also had to pay for the lupron trigger: $10 or $25 in cash, I don't remember. This was a lot of money for 10 IU in a syringe that they filled, considering that an entire 2.8 mL vial of luprion is $10 co-pay, which I know from my other IVF procedure.
5 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Zhang was difficult to communicate with. He missed a scheduled phone appointment and only called when I emailed him and his nurses about it. After my cycle, I emailed several times with questions and concerns and did not receive responses. In addition, I felt he only gave me information when I was informed and persistent enough to ask for it; if I hadn't been, I feel he would have happily proceeded with me being "in the dark" and therefore less able to hold him accountable for my clinical outcomes.
5 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Make sure you understand the clinic's approach to egg freezing (i.e., low stim) and it aligns with your own expectations and priorities.
Once I started my cycle, I had no routine physician interactions-- just interactions with the phlebotomists and ultrasound technicians. When I did interact with a doctor because I had questions or concerns, it was because I specifically asked and fought for it.
Birth control pills (Desogen, Apri, Reclipsen): HALF a tablet by mouth daily for about a week before the cycle began Letrozole 2.5mg tablet, 1 tablet. Clomid 50mg, 1 tablet. Both for 5 days. Follistim 150 units for four days At this point I discontinued the Letrozole and continued Clomid and Follistim for ~3 days nasal spray and Ovidrel the night before the retrieval
I had minimal interaction with nurses.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Strengths: affordability, convenience (for those in NYC area) Weaknesses: lack of communication, lack of physician contact, physicians did not seem to care about me as a person (e.g., physician who did retrieval)
2K for procedure; 500 for anesthesia; 2K for monitoring and bloodwork. Medications were ~2-3K
1 IUI, 3 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, 7 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Dr. Zhang seemed to be sufficiently attentive, and receptive to my concerns (whether age, costs, immune issues etc). I actually think his idea of minimal stimulation works well for older women...I became worried by the end that they do not monitor closely enough and I think they don't. It might make sense to come a bit more frequently, especially in the beginning of the cycle, so they adjust the drugs better.
1 IUI, 3 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing, 7 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Zhang seemed compassionate and willing to be relatively flexible (immune issues etc). I felt somewhat stressed though, when asking for help to make a decision, he would not quite help saying it's an elective procedure...
He uses minimal stimulation estrase/chlomid/femara/fsh/ganorelix
Most of the nurses are very good and compassionate. However i had problems with nurses, 1) they would not give me clear answer about medication/consequences -- as a result i had unexpected reaction etc; 2) one of the nurses, who does not seem to work there any longer, advised me not to take a pain relief medication before procedure -- i came into the office for prescription. As a result i suffered great pain during a procedure and after the procedure, for about a year various pelvic floor problems
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Good location, easy monitoring, lighter protocol -- which i think is still effective. I liked many of the nurses, embryologists. Sometimes, nurses don't get back to you, or seem to be not be very knowledgeable or experienced -- that is troublesome, as it adds to stress.
they have very wide monitoring window, so it is very convenient.
about 4K per retrieval + meds
Investment Banker
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
My boyfriend and I arrived at Dr. Zhang's office armed with files from my three prior cycles (2 egg freezing, 1 embryo freezing) as well as notes we had taken from consultations with four other reproductive endocrinologists. Dr. Zhang seemed distracted - he jumped from his computer screen to our faces and glanced through my files. When he discussed his proposed approach, its tailored nature made it clear that he in fact had absorbed everything in my files and what I had told him. He had a hypothesis on how to optimize my cycle to increase the number of mature eggs as a percentage of eggs retrieved. We decided to give New Hope a go. My mini-IVF cycle yielded more mature eggs than the conventional cycles.
Advocate for yourself. If you have questions, keep calling and asking until you get a response. The nurses are extremely helpful. The office is digitized and nurses provide instructions via email. Email is not a good way to contact the office with questions though - call and keep calling if you aren't getting a response.
New Hope provides a typical big city medical experience. I wouldn't expect Dr. Zhang to recognize me in the waiting room - it's a busy place! His protocol was the most successful one for me, and that matters most to me.
I got to know the nurses the best at all the fertility clinics. They are very skilled, knowledgable and professional and can answer most questions.
The clinic has monitoring every day from 7am-2pm. You just show up when convenient for you. This was a HUGE benefit in dealing with my work schedule. However, be prepared to wait as long for monitoring as you do at other places (budget an hour if you need bloodwork and ultrasound).
2013 - 2018
1 IUI, IVF, Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
He has a lot of patients so it’s hard to get personalized attention from dr. Zhang. He is also always traveling but he is a great doctor. Very knowledable and positive. When others told me I will need donor eggs he never gave up on me having a baby with my own eggs...Very smart, very knowledgeable. Not easily accessible though...Since I have low amh levels dr zhang didn’t force a lot of stims. We did a lot of natural cycles. This is one clinic who is okay with taking out only one egg at a time.
2013 - 2018
1 IUI, IVF, Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Very positive. Didn’t give up on me while others were directing me towards donor eggs he instituted I would have my own babies and I did. Twice!!! Very smart, very knowledgeable. Not easily accessible though. Recently he has been traveling a lot.
Don’t be afraid to tell them you disagree with their protocols or if you feel uncomfortable with a dosage you can tell them to adjust it. They listen to what the patient wants. They are flexible and they have an amazing lab!!
He has a lot of patients so it’s hard to get personalized attention from dr. Zhang. He is also always traveling but he is a great doctor. Very knowledable and positive. When others told me I will need donor eggs he never gave up on me having a baby with my own eggs. And it happened twice!
they are friendly and helpful but can take a while to answer your questions because they are so busy.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
New Hope is very flexible with protocol and listening to what you want. i have on numerous occasion requested less of a dosage, questioned when they were triggering and even changed freezing embryos into an IUI which resulted in my first son's conception. They are open to suggestions which is a big plus.
pricey but not exorbitant.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
While I had limited time with Dr.Zhang, he spoke with me cordially and exuded a confidence about my treatment and prognosis for success. He seemed to genuinely care that I was successful...He's a fabulous doctorfor difficult cases, mini IVF or other unique circumstances. He doesn't turn people away...Dr Zhang was knowledgeable and confident in his ability to help me get pregnant, but there was a language barrier that made communication challenging at times. I was part of a clinical study and most of my communication came through the coordinator.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
He's a fabulous doctorfor difficult cases, mini IVF or other unique circumstances. He doesn't turn people away. And I was confident in his ability to help me achieve my goal of pregnancy
Mini IVF with FET for first transfer, and FET for second transfer. Both were SETs.
Very busy, not particularly empathetic, and hurried with relaying information. Still kind and professional though.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The clinic had a comfortable, relaxing setting. It felt like a spa. The embryologist were amazing and I loved Dr. Zhang's positivity. It made my treatments feel less stressful. However, the billing department was an absolute nightmare. I have never seen such incompetence in any clinical setting in my life. I left the clinic solely because of the billing department.
Second FET was approximately $3500 with additional $200 per appointment, plus meds. None were covered under insurance. First FET was part of a clinical study and I only paid for meds - appropriately $1500.
Dr. Zhang was very clear on his preference for SETs, citing his "one good egg" philosophy. I was fine with that, and understood the research behind that approach.
2013
We only met and saw him [Dr. Zhang] for the initial consult. Everything else was done by nurses and other doctors. It's very clear he's a genius and we did t run into any setbacks so didn't really need to follow up with him. We were extremely lucky though and not sure how reachable he was if we needed him.
2013
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
We only met and saw him for the initial consult. Everything else was done by nurses and other doctors. It's very clear he's a genius and we did t run into any setbacks so didn't really need to follow up with him. We were extremely lucky though and not sure how reachable he was if we needed him.
Ask all your questions up front, do your research and come prepared.
We had success on our first try so hard to complain about anything but our biggest challenge with the clinic was calling off hours to get info. Sometimes the nurse would leave a voicemail with instructions that I'd have questions about and it was seemingly impossible to get anyone live on the phone. Very stressful at times
We did natural cycle IVF - no hormones, just the nasal spray trigger shot and a shot upon egg transfer. Rest was blood work and scans. Didn't use anesthesia for egg retrieval or live egg transfer. We did it all in same cycle, worked first time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at New Hope Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Don't remember name but she was great)
Nurses were great and skilled at blood draws. I have tough veins and they were good
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
It's a very organized, top notch, modern, Has latest technology (I watched on giant flat screen tv when they took egg out of me and again when they put it back in). Truly amazing. I trust these guys.
A bit of a cattle call - busy at early morning (pre-work) hours and lunchtime
I had insanely generous Cigna insurance which New Hope accepted. Again - we were very lucky. Will never see insurance like that again
New Hope Fertility Center
It was very hard to get any information to Dr. Zhang. He told us himself that it was like the waitresses (nurses) were not delivering the order to the chef (himself) correctly. Information kept getting lost and messed up in the process....We did Mini IVF protocols for both my wife and myself. We then did Reciprocal IVF.... My monitoring results got misread and it was very, very hard to get a nurse or doctor to respond to our emails or calls.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
It was very hard to get any information to Dr. Zhang. He told us himself that it was like the waitresses (nurses) were not delivering the order to the chef (himself) correctly. Information kept getting lost and messed up in the process. We had won a free cycle through New Hope. However, there were costs they did not let us know about until we arrived at the clinic and we now owe them over $10,000 and still have no baby.
Do your research!
We were just shuffled through the doctor’s office. My monitoring results got misread and it was very, very hard to get a nurse or doctor to respond to our emails or calls.
The nurses were very disorganized and made me feel like just another patient they had to shuffle through.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The strength of New Hope is that it is very clean. The weaknesses outway the strengths. It was unorganized, stressful to deal with staff, horrible communication, and the people were not trustworthy.
Cattle call
It was supposed to be a free cycle and we now owe over $10,000 dollars.
New Hope Fertility Center
I saw doctor zhang for initial appt. Then I never saw him again, until I waited 2 hours one day to see him, even when I had an appt....Very impersonal. Never looked me in the eye when talking to me. Seemed like he was always delivering a scripted speech. He never felt warm or understanding. He made promises for follow up phone calls or check ins and never delivered on any of them...Not care of existing patients.
Go somewhere else
I saw doctor zhang for initial appt. Then I never saw him again, until I waited 2 hours one day to see him, even when I had an appt. His focus is on getting new patients in the door. Not care of existing patients.
Always got a different nurse. Not one nurse knew who I was, even after 4 rounds.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Strengths - innovation. Weakness - everything else. Go here if you want zero compassion and empathy and want to be treated like cattle. They dont treat patients like humans, but like a number or a bank account. No quality of care whatsoever.
There would be 40 others in the waiting room. The wait was usually 90 minutes +
At first it seemed like costs were reasonable. Realized later, all the individual charges add up and end up being more than rounds at another popular clinic
New Hope Fertility Center
I felt like a human because Doctor Zhang and entire staff cared, listened and answered all my questions... He is beyond experienced and knowledgeable in everything he does. He explained things to me that made so much sense and able to understand everything in detail. I put all my trust on him from the first meet...I did the mini ivf. Less medication and better results.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Dr. Zhang is a medical genius. He is beyond experienced and knowledgeable in everything he does. He explained things to me that made so much sense and able to understand everything in detail. I put all my trust on him from the first meet.
Listen!
I did the mini ivf. Less medication and better results.
I absolutely loved the entire nursing staff. Any questions I had (and I had many) they answered it with a smile.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Excellent wait time. Even at it's most busiest hour, you are in and out in a timely manner. Clinic is extremely clean. Entire staff is beyond warm and friends. Everybody has a smile on their face. No weaknesses.
Costs were very economical.
Yes, 1 embryo.
2006 - 2012
[Dr. John Zhang was] Very compasionate and caring Really wanted the treatment to work. Help me accomplish my dream of motherhood! Gave me free medications when I was unable to pay for it myself. I would really like to go back and try for baby number 2... The doctor and staff walk you to the entire process and helps you choose the best course of treatment...I was very happy with my doctor
2006 - 2012
Investment Banker
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Listen to what he says. I know from personal experience that we don't want to hear the word no or it may take time, but the journey is long and you need to be prepared to deal with the setbacks
I was able to use donated medications after I was unable to pay for it myself. So grateful for all the support provided!
It was a long time ago, very I know for a fact I was very happy with my doctor
Very nice and professional Made me feel very comfortable every time I had an appointment
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
Very centrally located. Easy to find, friendly staff. Compassionate care, the cost of treatment is competitive and producing the best results. The doctor and staff walk you to the entire process and helps you choose the best course of treatment
It was around 12-15,000
He suggested only 2at the time
6 IUI, 10 IVF, Egg Freezing
Very cerebral approach- not a hand holder but able to produce results- differentiated process from other big treatment places in NYC... Go here if you have an aversion to over medication or if you want to try a less aggressive IVF approach
6 IUI, 10 IVF, Egg Freezing
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Very cerebral approach- not a hand holder but able to produce results- differentiated process from other big treatment places in nyc
Go here if you have an aversion to over medication or if you want to try a less aggressive ivf approach
They spent a good deal of time with me during the appointments and during follow up calls and emails I never waited very long to be seen.
Compassionate, responsive and personable. They all knew my name, story etc. loved them all.
You sign in on a computer when you arrive- very pleasant room with nice music lots of light snacks etc always was seen fairly quickly less than 20 mins typically
New Hope Fertility Center
Dr. Zhang and New Hope Fertility was the worst medical experience of my life. You wait endlessly. There's no compassion from the staff. They continually forgot about my medical conditions....Poor communicator. Zero compassion...When I did not respond to the trigger shot, no one called to tell me this, so one cycle was essentially ruined. There is zero communication, which if you have a complicated case can be extremely dangerous.
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
Poor communicator. Zero compassion.
Don't go.
Describe your experience with New Hope Fertility Center.
The clinic seems organized despite all of the other failures of New Hope.
2012
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
He has a very specific theory -- low dose meds for only retrieving a few eggs (what they say are "the best" eggs). May be a good place for poor responders... Find out your numbers (AMH, FSH) before deciding whether New Hope is for you because they won't deviate from their protocol.
2012
Ashkenazi Jewish, Middle Eastern
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with John Zhang at New Hope Fertility Center?
He doesn't speak English very well. And is very blunt nonetheless. He has a very specific theory -- low dose meds for only retrieving a few eggs (what they say are "the best" eggs). May be a good place for poor responders.
bedside manner, eh.
very busy never had same nurse.