Available by cell phone
281-693-2434
16605 Southwest Freeway
Sugar Land, TX 77479
281-242-3434
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Jonathan Kim to a friend?

7.1

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Houston Fertility Institute to a friend?
Dr. Kim has done a good job explaining treatment plans and answering all my questions...I've never felt uncomfortable in his care. He does split his time between the Katy and Sugarland clinics so I have not seen him at every appointment but this has not been an issue in my case. He was very compassionate when I experienced my chemical pregnancy...My first IUI utilized Clomid...The second IUI utilized Clomid (50 mg over 5 days) and Gonal injections (3 days of 75 iu).
How was your experience with Jonathan Kim at Houston Fertility Institute?
Dr. Kim does a good job explaining procedures and the risks behind them. I've never felt uncomfortable in his care. He does split his time between the Katy and Sugarland clinics so I have not seen him at every appointment but this has not been an issue in my case. He was very compassionate when I experienced my chemical pregnancy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jonathan Kim at Houston Fertility Institute?
Feel free to ask lots of questions. Dr. Kim will answer to the best of his ability and you won't feel rushed.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jonathan Kim at Houston Fertility Institute?
Describe the protocols Jonathan Kim used in your cycles at Houston Fertility Institute and their degree of success.
My first IUI utilized Clomid (100mg over 5 days). I only had one follicle develop and did not have a successful outcome utilizing donor sperm. Post IUI I took 1 progesterone suppository per day. The second IUI utilized Clomid (50 mg over 5 days) and Gonal injections (3 days of 75 iu). This generated two mature follicles and a 3rd that also had a chance of developing in time for my IUI. I took 1 progesterone suppository per day until I had HCG testing on Day 13 post IUI when progesterone was increased to 2 suppositories per day. I experience a chemical pregnancy on this try.
The nursing staff is very cordial and responsive to questions. They seem organized and also follow up on my blood work with a call to explain the results and also send me a message via my patient portal. I find the two modes of communication helpful.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Institute.
The nice thing about HFI is that they have a large network of practices around the Houston Area. Initially I was seeing Dr. Kim at the Katy clinic but realized that the Sugarland clinic would be more convenient since it was closer to my work. Switching to a different office was no issue and my data transferred easily between offices. Downside to the clinic being so large is that when you do your insemination, you go to the main surgical center. This means that you are inseminated by a doctor you've never met before. This could be disconcerting for some patients.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jonathan Kim at Houston Fertility Institute.
Oral Medication IUI -$1700 Combo Oral Medication + Injectable Medication IUI - $2200 $50 sperm storage fee from HFI $950 donor sperm per vial $285 donor sperm shipping $295 Cost of prescription medications
Sugar Land

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jonathan Kim at Houston Fertility Institute.

Endometriosis, Other
He [Dr. Jonathan Kim] personally called me when I called and asked the nurse a question. He told me no question was silly and if I have any concerns or questions to please call him...I do wish I saw him more at each appointment, but I was glad to be able to hear directly from him if we wanted after the appointment...he is really nice, honest, straightforward, smart, and will explain thing fairly detailed...I started bleeding after appointment later dr Kim called and said Hcg more then doubled progesterone had raised, but was still very low(3). He was now very concerned that it was ectopic. He had me come in a day or two later.
Endometriosis, Other
How was your experience with Jonathan Kim at Houston Fertility Institute?
I liked that he didn’t shy away from the realistic outcomes (sch, heartbeat being low, miscarriage) he was honest and up front about about sch and that it could be normal but it did increase miscarriage chance slightly. I saw another doctor there for an ultrasound that we found the heartbeat to be lower then the last ultrasound and I felt he skirted the obvious concern until asked several times and still wasn’t completely open. When dr Kim called he said the chances at miscarriage at that point was 85% but that it could be from the trauma of the sch. Of course I hate hearing bad news but I would rather not be blindsided and have a realistic expectation. I do wish I saw him more at each appointment, but I was glad to be able to hear directly from him if we wanted after the appointment.
That he is really nice, honest, straightforward, smart, and will explain thing fairly detailed. You won’t see him every time since he is at different locations.
He personally called me when I called and asked the nurse a question. He told me no question was silly and if I have any concerns or questions to please call him.
We did blood work first as I came in for baseline at cycle day 3. I was put on birth control To do a Hysteroscopy. Before I started B/C I took a pregnancy test. It was slightly positive. (Which was weird since I had a pretty normal period) I looked at blood work from a few days prior and hcg was very low and “not pregnant” I called and told them, doctor called and said it was likely a chemical since progesterone was less then one, but he had me come kind roe blood work. Hcg did not double and progesterone was still very low, less then 1. He called and updated me again saying it would be ectopic again. He had me come in 4days later. I started bleeding after appointment later dr Kim called and said Hcg more then doubled progesterone had raised, but was still very low(3). He was now very concerned that it was ectopic. He had me come in a day or two later. I was having pain and had fluid in my abdomen at the ultrasound. He then scheduled a laparoscopy due to likely ectopic and rupture. He went in and took his time he saw no rupture, my remaining tube was fine, but did remove blood from abdomen, he followed that with a d&c so that he could confirm if the pregnancy was in the uterus or if I needed the methotrexate to keep tube safe. He had me in a couple days later and hcg did not drop like he had hoped after d&c so it was confirmed ectopic and was proscribed methotrexate. Becasue of yet another loss(3), second confirmed ectopic, and one tube he concluded that there was likely a tubal functionality issue (nothing physically wrong with remaining tube and it was not blocked he looked at the hsg I had done with OBGYN previously) we did the eggretrival first before the Hysteroscopy. We were on gonal f(150), menopur(75), centrotide, and luprolide(sp?) . He did change is up a bit towards the end increasing menopure and lowering gonal. He also added a day or two. I had to order more menopure and centrotide. We were seeing about 20-24 sizable follicles on ultrasound. Egg retrieval resulted in 15 eggs, 15 mature, 7 made it blast and 5 pgs tested normal embryos. Hysteroscopy found a few small Polups they were removed, but everything else looked good. We had to wait a bit financially before transfer. I was on estrodiol 2mg tablets orally 3 times a day. The lining was not progressing as much as he wanted so he switched me to vaginaly 3 times a day. Started 2ml pio injections. I got a positive hpt at 5dp5dt. Blood test was at 9dp hcg was more then doubling on schedule. First ultrasound confirmed it was in the uterus, I started bleeding red blood 6w4days they had me come in the next day. Heartbeat was 91(a little low) and we were measuring a couple day behind and he saw a hematoma twice the size of the gestational sack. He told us it could be normal as 20% of IVF patients get them. He said once we see a heartbeat miscarriage drops to 5%, but the miscarriage rate raises to 15%. He said we just need to keep an eye on it and he increased my progesterone to 3ml for three days. He did let me know that I may pass a clot. At 7w3d I started bleeding red blood and a rather large clot. They had me come in the next day this is wen we saw a different doc and heartbeat dropped to 75 and size wise it was only 6w3days. We asked dr Kim to call us and he said they it was not a good sign that likelyhood at this point of miscarriage was 85% but that it could be a trauma from the hematoma maybe why it dropped. Two days later there was no heartbeat. I was given the choice of d&c or meds to start contractions. I chose the medicine in hopes of seeing the baby. I was warned of the “pain” side effects from meds vs d&c process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Houston Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: There were three I spoke to often and received messages from on the portal. (Joy, Patrica, Connie))
The only issues I had was: 1) I loved joy, although at times (More so on the phone) it was harder to understand. 2) I believe Patrica switched the dosage of my gonal f and menopure when putting the prescription in the portal, therefor the wrong dosage was ordered. I was assured it would be ok and that the would start with that and change it if they needed to. I did end up needing to order extra menopur and had extra gonal f, but I think the results from egg retrieval went well, although I don’t know what the other outcome would have been. I think they are all great and really sweet and kind.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Institute.
I think it’s clean, professional, accommodating and I believe they care. I trust the doctors and their knowledge to help families! I had one major issue with them in regards to insurance, the doctor and facility was covered, but the lab for the embryologist was not and that was a surprise bill of almost 8k. That was not told to me and unexpected. I wish they didn’t charge so much as many other places (not in Houston area) are more cost effective. With that being said I do believe they are good at what they do, helping families have children.
Cash price 6900 for physician, Lab 3000 Facility 2800 Anesthesiologists 250 Meds 4000-7000 Additional FET Doctor 1750 Lab 725 Facility 1400 Meds 300-1000
Describe Jonathan Kim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Houston Fertility Institute.
I believe he mentioned and suggested 1 embryo and that one healthy baby, mother, pregnancy and birth was the goal. Although, I never had an doubt that I wanted to only transfer 1. Now I might consider using two, but unlikely.
Sugar Land

Dr. Kim was there for a lot of my scans. He always knew my name when i walked in, he didn't need to look at my chart to remind himself. When I would cry in his office from a negative test, he would listen to me and let me know he cared. Dr. Kim would listen to my concerns and was ready to try new things when we had failures...if I wanted to discuss anything, he would give me his opinion on the topic and then let me ultimately decide what I wanted to do. He cared about me as a patient and truly wanted to see me get pregnant and have a baby. He definitely was not trying to push anything for money. He wanted to make sure we got the outcome we wanted (a baby) as fast as possible. He was honest and upfront about everything. He set realistic expectations, and had a positive demeanor.
How was your experience with Jonathan Kim at Houston Fertility Institute?
Dr. Kim is a phenomenal doctor. He listened to all my concerns. We went over what the best treatment options were. If I wanted to discuss anything, he would give me his opinion on the topic and then let me ultimately decide what I wanted to do. He cared about me as a patient and truly wanted to see me get pregnant and have a baby. He definitely was not trying to push anything for money. He wanted to make sure we got the outcome we wanted (a baby) as fast as possible. He was honest and upfront about everything. He set realistic expectations, and had a positive demeanor.
Do your own research. Get as educated as you can. Understanding the process yourself will help you so much with outcomes. Dr. Kim will work to get you the baby you long for, but you also should understand the process and have realistic expectations for your diagnosis.
I have PCOS. My husband has no issues. I had used clomid for 4 cycles with my OB with no monitoring and no success. We met with Dr. Kim and he laid all our options out. First we did an HSG to make sure my tubes were open. My left tube showed a blockage, so we did a hysteroscopy and found polyps in my uterus, he cleaned them out and it opened up my left tube. He then recommended IUI with injections (since the pills didn't seem to help). I wasn't ready for that yet, so we did a cycle with Femara/Letrozole. Hardly any follicles grew. So we moved to IUI with injections as Dr. Kim had suggested. We got 2 mature follicles and did a double IUI (trigger shot, then IUI the next 2 days in a row). No success. Since no treatments were covered by our insurance, about 4 IUI cycles equal the cost of IVF. Dr. Kim said we could move in either direction. My husband and I decided to go forward with IVF as it has much better success rates and we didnt know how many IUIs it would take to work. We started with birth control to get my cycle regulated, then did injections for 11 days (stims for 11 days, cetrodide for 5 days to keep me from ovulating). We were doing an all freeze cycle, so my trigger shot was lupron (2 days of injections). 19 eggs retrieved, 11 mature follicles, 11 fertilized, and 9 made it to freeze (embryos). My husband and i decided to do PGS testing, even though Dr. Kim didnt think we needed it. Of the 9 blastocysts, 5 were gentically normal.
The nurses here are absolutely amazing. I knew Rebecca and Vanessa the best. They had so much compassion when I was crying from negative results. They honestly cared about me and were extremely excited when I finally became pregnant. I cannot say enough wonderful things about these 2 women!!
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Institute.
I have no issues with the clinic. They work you into the schedule as best as they can. They are incredibly efficient in moving the patients into rooms and getting blood drawn. All of the staff works together very well and you can tell with how smooth things typically run. I usually didn't have to wait much longer than about 10-15 mins at most appointments.
IUI with cost of meds - $4000 IVF doctor/clinic/embryologist/ICSI cost $12900 -- meds $5000 --PGS $5500 Frozen Transfer Cycle cost with meds - $4000
For the first transfer, Dr. Kim would only do 1 embryo. it was the safest option and we agreed. No success. For the 2nd transfer, we did 2 embryos at Dr. Kim's recommendation. No success. For the 3rd transfer, we did a different FET protocol and transferred our last 2 genetically normal embryos, and it resulted in a singleton pregnancy.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Kim was excellent at educating without being condescending. As a single mother by choice, he laid out the steps we needed to take as far as testing before trying IUI. ... I appreciated Dr. Kim’s explanation on procedures and how he told me what to expect. He did my egg retrieval and embryo transfer as well as an SIS in office and everything went well. I especially liked how he told me what was going on during embryo transfer.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Jonathan Kim at Houston Fertility Institute?
I would absolutely advise them to go see him.
With my IUIs, we started with Clomid and I showed no follicle growth so that cycle was cancelled and we tried injectables. My dose of Gonal F was fairly high. I responded well to Gonal F and triggered with Ovidrel all three times but did not conceive. After that and an extended break secondary to finances, I moved on to IVF with PGS. I was on Gonal-F and Menopur and added Cetrotide about five days in. After PGS, I had one normal embryo and I prepped for FET by using an estrogen patch I changed every three days and three estrogen pills and then progesterone in oil injections.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Houston Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Janese at The Woodlands clinic)
Janese took the time to explain things and answer questions. I had spotting at six weeks and she reassured me and gave me several possible causes.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Institute.
I was super impressed with the quality of care but that meant sometimes there would be a wait. They were fantastic about fitting me in earlier than my appointment time so I could tolerate any wait time.
IVF was about $25K including meds. Each IUI was around $5K with meds except my first round without injections initially was lower; maybe $3K.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Kim was such an amazing doctor. We had gone through several years of infertility, a surgery, and 7 IUI’s prior to meeting with him. By the time we had our appointment with him I had little hope left at conceiving.... Dr. Kim found that I had a thryroid issue so I was put on thyroid medication before beginning my cycle.... Many times after becoming pregnant I would call feeling very anxious and he had me come in for an ultrasound just to calm my fears.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jonathan Kim at Houston Fertility Institute?
Dr. Kim was such an amazing doctor. We had gone through several years of infertility, a surgery, and 7 IUI’s prior to meeting with him. By the time we had our appointment with him I had little hope left at conceiving. When I met with him I instantly felt hope. He was so easy to talk to and explained everything in a way that we were able to understand. He was honest through the entire process and always took the time at every single appointment to sit down with us and discuss our treatment. He went above and beyond to ensure that everything went as planned. I honestly cannot say enough wonderful things about him. We now have a healthy little boy as a result of IVF as his patient and we just took him to meet the dr that helped us conceive our little miracle.
Put all of your other fertility experiences in the past and go into your appointment with an open mind. I am so thankful I did not give up before finding Dr. Kim
Dr. Kim was amazing. I was so incredibly nervous during the entire IVF process and he always took the time to listen to my concerns and fears. Many times after becoming pregnant I would call feeling very anxious and he had me come in for an ultrasound just to calm my fears.
Dr. Kim found that I had a thryroid issue so I was put on thyroid medication before beginning my cycle. I also did injections and progesterone
Describe your experience with your nurse at Houston Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Vanessa Jones/ Joy )
Vanessa was always so kind and understanding. I called very often and she always calmed my nerves and was very knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Institute.
HFI was always very easy to work with. Doctors, nurses, and the finance department was very kind and organized. They always promptly returned calls, answered any questions, and were easy to work with and schedule appointments with.
Our total cost for IVF, freezing embryos, and the transfer was around $20,000.
I was appreciative that Dr. Kim knew what my body was able to handle in regards to medication and doing a frozen cycle.
Katy

I never had to take any pain medication afterwards. He [Dr. Jonathan Kim] was very careful to make sure that I did not experience ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS) by changing to a lupron trigger shot. After the retrieval, I was concerned that I could be developing OHSS, so I called his office and he had me come in immediately. He examined my right away (I don't think I even finished signing in at the front) and found that I was doing okay and gave me some directions. I recovered quickly. Back to the eggs. 29 eggs were harvested, 19 fertilized, and 12 reached the 5 day blastocyst stage. We did genetic testing. 6 had normal chromosomes. We were very glad we did the genetic testing. The nonviable embryos would have likely resulted in miscarriages and disappointment. So even though the genetic testing was expensive, w
How was your experience with Jonathan Kim at Houston Fertility Institute?
Dr. Kim is very personable and very knowledgeable in his field. He practices evidence-based medicine based on our many discussions about recent fertility advancements. I appreciated his realistic statistics which helped me shape realistic expectations. His bedside manner is very gentle and genuine. I wish that he could continue to be my OB/Gyn throughout my entire pregnancy. He wanted to personally participate in my IVF procedures and even did the implantation on a Saturday because that was when my body was ready. He listened to my concerns and needs every step of the way. It was important to me to transfer only one embryo, as I am personally fearful of twins. Our first singleton transfer was a success! I could tell he really enjoyed sharing listening to the first heartbeats with us. It was special to him, not just the 1000th time for him.
Feel free to ask your questions. Bring as much prior fertility workup information with you to your consultation so that he can review it with you and start the ground running from there.
Dr. Kim remembered every detail about my health and care with every visit. He always took the time to answer all of my questions and encouraged me to contact his office if I thought of others after the visit. He took time to explain the ultrasounds and test results. The one time I had a concern, he made time in his clinic schedule to see me immediately and verified that everything was going well.
My issue is PCOS and anovulation. So we first tried a clomid cycle, confirmed that 2 follicles were ready, triggered their release, and had intercourse for 3 days as directed. This was a cheaper option than starting with IVF, although he projected a success rate of about 9%. Thus, we were not especially let down when we had a negative pregnancy test, but we were happy that we had started with the easiest and cheapest option. We then tried a different hormone (can't remember the name), found that 1 follicle was ready, triggered ovulation, and did IUI twice (on 2 consecutive days). We knew again that our projected success rate was still low, and we had a negative pregnancy test. At this point Dr. Kim had a discussion with us. We could choose to increase the aggressiveness of the hormones and try IUI again or we could proceed to IVF. Dr. Kim mentioned that trying the more aggressive IUI cycle had a higher risk of multiples and a much lower success rate than IVF. We decided to proceed with IVF. I underwent the egg retrieval process. I produced 50+ follicles since I had such a high ovarian reserve (PCOS). He harvested 29 and then inactivated the others (because who needs that many eggs?). I never had to take any pain medication afterwards. He was very careful to make sure that I did not experience ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS) by changing to a lupron trigger shot. After the retrieval, I was concerned that I could be developing OHSS, so I called his office and he had me come in immediately. He examined my right away (I don't think I even finished signing in at the front) and found that I was doing okay and gave me some directions. I recovered quickly. Back to the eggs. 29 eggs were harvested, 19 fertilized, and 12 reached the 5 day blastocyst stage. We did genetic testing. 6 had normal chromosomes. We were very glad we did the genetic testing. The nonviable embryos would have likely resulted in miscarriages and disappointment. So even though the genetic testing was expensive, we felt we probably saved money, time, and heartache by avoiding futile IVF cycles. We waited a month for my body to recover from the retrieval, and then we implanted a single genetically normal 5-day blastocyst. Dr. Kim showed us our first baby photo - a picture of our embryo hatching - before the procedure. He came in on a Saturday to do the implantation, as that was the best day for my body. He showed how he was placing the embryo on the ultrasound and took a photo for us. We felt that he made the process special for us. We did the bed rest thing for 3 days and then the waiting game began. Dr. Kim told me when I could cheat with a home urine pregnancy test if I wanted. So I did cheat and it was positive! But of course, I waited to get excited until the official blood test was done. Dr. Kim monitored our very early pregnancy up until we were 10 weeks along. I did an estrogen patch, estrogen sublingual pills, and IM progesterone shots up until 10 weeks. Everything progressed as usual. Hearing our daughter's heartbeat for the first time was so special for all of us in the room, including Dr. Kim. He was genuinely excited for us. We can't wait to send him our birth announcement in the future! I have recommended Dr. Kim to all friends having fertility issues. As a physician myself, I have also recommended him to my patients as well.
Great caring staff! We bonded since we were seeing each other so often. I got to know them on a personal level. They were very good at clarifying instructions and responding in a timely manner. I could send an email to them at 7pm and would often get a reply email the following morning at 8am. They were always able to accommodate my crazy personal schedule. Vanessa Jones even offered to come to my house to teach my husband how to do the IM shots since he could not make it to the clinic for instruction. I was impressed she cared so much.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Institute.
Strengths: ease of scheduling; can always communicate via the portal; nice to see all lab results, instructions, and consent forms on the portal; personal staff; on time every time with appointments; professional; financial counselor was good at clarifying what was covered by insurance and what was not; treatment costs were very transparent. Weaknesses: don't take phone calls during lunch; make sure you read the consent forms ahead of time because front office staff expects you to sign without reading (they did offer to print the consent form when I complained that I was just signing electronic pages without reading, but it turned out that it was really really long and would have made me super late for my appointment to read it at that time)
The cost was comparable to other fertility locations.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jonathan Kim at Houston Fertility Institute?
Some may not like his style of communication. He is VERY fast talker and will even admit it himself but all you ever have to do is say wait slow down I don't get this and he will immediately do so or explain in a different way with drawings or other helpful things. He is so warm and caring and when you are truly struggling he is there. My last round my follicles were not responding to the HEAVY drugs we were using. (previously I used Bravelle and Menopur and got 7 eggs). This time we only had 3 follicles. I was at my ultimate lowest and just cried and said I felt like a failure. Dr Kim NEVER rushed me out but instead was there saying you are definitely NOT a failure and that WE will figure this out together! He cancelled the expensive IVF procedure planned as we would then get our clinical fees credited for our next attempt at IVF and also went out of his way to find some free drugs for us to help us with the costs. So that failed cycle really has only cost us the price for drugs. He's very direct but also very optimistic person and makes you feel like you are more than just another patient!
If you think he is talking too fast at any point just straight up tell him or if you don't understand something ask him. He knows he's a fast talker and in his first consult with that this was his advice to us! Also I find taking notes when he talks sometimes helps as when he does talk fast I can forget what he told me after.
He was great! When we first came in I wasn't 100% sure because he is a FAST talker but if there was ever something I wasn't sure about all I had to do was ask and he would explain again. If we ever had ANY questions about why a treatment hasn't worked he is always available. Yes he will have to take a message and call us back but usually that is within an hour or two. When you have a negative result the nurses will call and give you the results but often schedule your consult with him to talk about what might have gone wrong and what our next steps should possibly be. We had unexplained infertility when we started a year ago but now my egg reserve is starting to diminish and he has been with us through this. He is very caring and if you need him to slow down and talk you through things again and again he is MORE than happy to do so. I don't think we would have made it as far without him. I know there is a light coming for us.
We have unexplained infertility that over the last year is also turning into a diminished egg reserve. Since we didn't know what was wrong we started at the bottom and worked our way up. 1st Treatment - Clomid and IUI - BFN (Big Fat Negative) 2nd Treatment - Injections and IUI - BFN 3rd Treatment - Injections but started bleeding - Cancelled IUI 4th Treatment - Injections and IVF - 7 eggs, 6 embryos, 4-5 day embryos. Transferred 1 with BFN. Froze other 3. 5th Treatment - Frozen Embryo Transfer - Endometrin but started bleeding - Cancelled cycle and saved eggs. 6th Treatment - FET - Projesterone in Sesame Oil - Transferred 2 frozen - Chemical pregnancy. 7th Treatment - IVF - Injections resulted in low follicle stimulation - Timed Intercourse - BFN 8th Treatment - TBD :) Still have one snowflake baby but want to transfer at least 2 so will try IVF again after a month or two off for our sanity, my body to relax and our wallets to refill.
I LOVE MY NURSES!!! HFI - Katy is a small office and I know EVERY SINGLE person who works there by name and they know me! They are so wonderful and caring and amazing and there aren't enough good words for them. They laugh with me and they hug me when I just cry! I was always tough but disappointed when IUI didn't work or we had setbacks but the first major meltdown was going in for Beta and I had taken a Home Pregnancy Test before I came in. I knew it was going to be a BFN and just broke down as I walked in because they always ask "how are you today." I lost it. Vanessa just hugged me so tight and said "I'm so sorry sweetie!" I knew my test was going to be negative but I was utterly devastated. She called me later that morning with the official results and asked if I wanted to talk to Dr Kim that day. I said no because I couldn't keep anything together. Instead we went in to talk to him the next day. They go so above and beyond! My husband is now working out of town during the week and the progesterone injections had to be given in my butt daily at an angle that was not going to work for me! I went in every day and they did them for me and it became the "butt" of all our jokes. :) I LOVE the nurses there! Vanessa, Joy, Rebecca and Lisa are all AMAZING!
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Institute.
The number one strength of the HFI- Katy office is that it is small! :) That means they really get to know you... and you RARELY wait more than 10 minutes to get in. They are kind and funny and very helpful! You are definitely more than just a patient at this office. I really don't have weaknesses.
We had insurance that covered most of the costs through the IVF procedure the first time. The total cycles probably cost us about $10-12K for the 3 IUI's and the 1 IVF. The FET was $2500 max. This last round of IVF (which was cancelled)was $6600 for dr's fees which are credited back to us. $11K for Facility Fees (which we hadn't paid for yet) and then another $5500 for Genetic Testing (optional) and finally our actual out of pocket expenses for Meds were $7500. The meds were higher due to high stimulation amount and # of days I was on. Previous IVF cost us about $3-4K in meds. Due to these steep costs we have been given drugs donated by mom's who don't need them anymore to help combat the costs for this next attempt. :) They are there to help you have a baby not go bankrupt! :)

How was your experience with Jonathan Kim at Houston Fertility Institute?
Please show more compassion and understand that patients are already going through a lot. Spend more time answering their questions. Staff needs more training in dealing with patients
I would not recommend
Dr. Kim seemed impatient in spending time to explain the process. He seemed rushed and sometimes defensive when we asked questions about our treatment plan and things we wanted him clarify. Meetings with him seemed rushed. After the first transfer that did not end up in a pregnancy, Dr. Kim (nor staff) did not call to inform us of the results. We went in for the beta test in the morning and waited all day as they promised to call with the results. We logged on to the clinic's portal and found that the results were posted. When we called later in the day, a Medical Assistant told us "I thought you already knew". A few months later when we went through several rounds of tests, the office did not call to inform of us of the results again. After waiting almost a month, we again found the results through the patient portal and called the office. Another Medical Assistant tried to explain the results to us and recommended a treatment plan which was totally different from what we had discussed with Dr. Kim. Clearly, there isn't good coordination with the staff and Dr. The service provided wasn't personal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Houston Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Vanessa Jones and Joy Nguyen)
1- There was bad communication between the Dr and Medical Assistants. MAs need to show more compassion and be more patient when working with insurance companies in placing orders and verifying insurance information. They just fax the order and don't confirm that the drug company received it. I had to call the office several times and do a 3-way call with the Medical Assistant and drug company. MA seemed annoyed. 2- They need to better coordinate with hospitals for surgery scheduling. 3- MAs/Staff should be professional when dealing with patients. Do not address patients as "sweetie, hun, etc."
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Institute.
Clinic was clean, i loved that they all services (blood tests, etc) were on site. They do a good job of explaining costs and working with a financial counselor. Wait time is very short
Drugs - $7-8K Facility Costs - $8K Insurance Covered Costs - > $13k

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
He [Dr Kim] was always available for phone calls. When disappointments would occur, he was sympathetic and would give me a hug and encourage me. I like to research EVERYTHING so he would provide me articles to read and review any info I found so we could discuss options.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Jonathan Kim at Houston Fertility Institute?
Dr. Kim was a perfect doctor for me. He was sincere, listened and genuinely cared about our goal to get pregnant. I feel like he treated us successfully and wasn't just looking for statistics or money. We will definitely return to him for baby #2.
Dr. Kim is knowledgeable and honest and you are in good hands.
Dr. Kim spent ample time communicating with me and answering questions. He was always available for phone calls. When disappointments would occur, he was sympathetic and would give me a hug and encourage me. I like to research EVERYTHING so he would provide me articles to read and review any info I found so we could discuss options.
Cycle 1: Clomid (BFN) Cycle 2: IUI with gonal (converted to IVF) with two frozen poor quality embryos Cylcle 3: IVF with gonal and menopauir with PGS. Resulted in 4 excellent quality embryos. We did two FETs (one chemical and one mmc at 9.5 weeks)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Houston Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Lisa, Joy, Vanessa)
The nurses were amazing. They returned calls promptly, listened to concerns and answered all questions. They took the time to get to know me.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Institute.
HFI is a busy clinic which leads me to believe they are very experienced. The environment is clean, organized and well ran. They use a portal to communicate lab results and info quickly which I loved.
How was your experience with Jonathan Kim at Houston Fertility Institute?
Dr. Kim was very nice, but I do not think he communicated effectively during my treatment. As a younger patient, I was confused and did not understand why the treatments were not working. He seems to take a laid back approach, and I feel that with fertility treatments there should be a sense of urgency. Also, I feel like the clinic treated this more as my problem and not a joint problem for both myself and my husband. They did not run any extra tests on my husband except the initial semen analysis that my Gyn had asked for. Of course that does not include the analysis from samples for the IUI's.
It would be nice to have him explain in more detail each step of treatment.
Dr. Kim was very friendly in discussing my care to both me ans my husband.
He did not recommend a specific protocol or treatment. He just suggested clomid use for the first IUI cycle and I did not respond like I should have. So for the second cycle, I pushed for the injections, otherwise he would have continued with just clomid.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Institute.
The main office staff was friendly to speak to over the phone. There are several locations so it makes it difficult to get comfortable with the staff. I mostly used the medical center, gessner, and katy locations.
It was very expensive, and all we got in the form of help was info on how to take out loans.

IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
He [Dr. Kim] is always so caring and helpful, I truly feel that he cares.... We have mixed feelings because our embryo transfers have not worked and we really don’t have an answer as to why.... We have one more frozen embryo that we need to transfer but Dr Kim will need to do a minor surgery on me before we transfer our last embryo.... I was placed on lots of estrogen and progesterone. We believe that the estrogen caused the fluid in my tubes.
IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jonathan Kim at Houston Fertility Institute?
We have mixed feelings because our embryo transfers have not worked and we really don’t have an answer as to why. We have an idea but nothing really confirmed. We have one more frozen embryo that we need to transfer but Dr Kim will need to do a minor surgery on me before we transfer our last embryo.
Ask lots of questions.
He is always so caring and helpful, I truly feel that he cares.
Nice, somewhat friendly.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Institute.
Good location and clean, helpful and accommodating with your appointment times. Sometimes the nurses can be not so friendly, it’s such a touching moment going through IVF. Some of them are nice but some are not.
We have spent about $30,000
I’m fine with his approach to only transferring one at a time but I just don’t understand why our transfers still haven’t work.
Sugar Land

[Dr. Jonathan Kim] was an amazing doctor and truly explained the details of everything to us. He was always positive, yet realistic. He never made me feel rushed and he always took the time at any appointment to answer every question. He also did weekly monitoring, which as someone struggling with infertility knows this is seriously an amazing thing.
How was your experience with Jonathan Kim at Houston Fertility Institute?
Dr. Kim was an amazing doctor and truly explained the details of everything to us. He was always positive, yet realistic. He never made me feel rushed and he always took the time at any appointment to answer every question. He also did weekly monitoring, which as someone struggling with infertility knows this is seriously an amazing thing.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Institute.
Strengths would be: it is very easy to get an appointment, receptionist was always helpful and pleasant to talk to, clean office, up to date technology, easy to get in touch with. Weaknesses would be: sometimes the wait is fairly long (we waited an hour+ twice even though we had an appointment.)
2013 - 2016
Dr. Kim is a fantastic doctor. He is knowledgeable, explains everything, cares very much and always has a friendly demeanor and positive outlook....Dr. Kim is absolutely amazing. He explains in details, cares greatly and takes great pride in a good patient-caregiver relationship....It's a fantastic clinic [Houston Fertility Institute] with fantastic doctors and staff! I felt very well cared for...The nursing staff at HFI is absolutely incredible. They remember your name, background and are excellent communicators and take the worries of their patients serious. I was very happy with the care provided.
2013 - 2016
Describe your experience with your nurse at Houston Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Vanessa Jones and Lisa Morton)
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Institute.
It's a fantastic clinic with fantastic doctors and staff! I felt very well cared for.

Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
I felt like a number due to after finding out I had one tube blocked he [Dr. Jonathan Kim] automatically said we needed to do IVF. We explained we didn't have the funds to do IVF that we would like to start from the basics of taking cloimid and looking into IUI. He told us it would be a waste of time and to go back to my OBGYN to get the clomid...Doctor was good as far as sending us for test and doing the consult. Once test were done and results were on the table we felt he didn't want to do anything to help us if we weren't going to do IVF right off the bat.
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Jonathan Kim at Houston Fertility Institute?
Stand your ground on treatment if your wanting to start with Clomid or IUI. Don't let him tell you to go back to your OBGYN for the medicine.
I felt like a number due to after finding out I had one tube blocked he automatically said we needed to do IVF. We explained we didn't have the funds to do IVF that we would like to start from the basics of taking cloimid and looking into IUI. He told us it would be a waste of time and to go back to my OBGYN to get the clomid.
Describe your experience with Houston Fertility Institute.
Clinic was clean and staff members were nice and helpful when we talked with them. Majority of the communicating is through the portal though. That is sometimes a down fall. Testing is scheduled through the portal as well.