Fertility Center of Chattanooga

Medical SchoolEast Tennessee St.
ResidencyU. of Tennessee
Knoxville
10413 Kingston Pike
Knoxville, TN 37922
865.692.3433
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Joseph Bird to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 100%9.8
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Fertility Center of Chattanooga to a friend?
PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Throughout the process we learned I needed to have surgery to remove a uterine fibroid that was blocking both of my Fallopian tubes. He [Dr. Joseph Bird] did the surgery himself, met with me both before and after the surgery and even called to check on my recovery. After 3 months of recovery we were able to start trying to get pregnant again as the surgery opened up one of my tubes, the other unfortunately blocked by scar tissue, but Dr. bird reassured me I could get pregnant with just the one.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Joseph Bird at Fertility Center of Chattanooga?
The first time I met Dr. Bird, he was very focused on our conversation and didn't seem like he was doing 5 other things at the same time like so many other doctors. He wanted to know my detailed history and to get a plan together that I was comfortable with. He said that he would do everything in his power to see that I got pregnant. Throughout the process we learned I needed to have surgery to remove a uterine fibroid that was blocking both of my Fallopian tubes. He did the surgery himself, met with me both before and after the surgery and even called to check on my recovery. After 3 months of recovery we were able to start trying to get pregnant again as the surgery opened up one of my tubes, the other unfortunately blocked by scar tissue, but Dr. bird reassured me I could get pregnant with just the one.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Bird at Fertility Center of Chattanooga?
Ask all the questions you want answered because he will explain them and make sure you understand your game plan.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Bird at Fertility Center of Chattanooga?
Staff are pleasant and always willing to answer my questions. I feel like the staff are my family.
Describe the protocols Joseph Bird used in your cycles at Fertility Center of Chattanooga and their degree of success.
I had tried 6 cycles of Clomid and timed intercourse under my OBGYN before seeing my RE, Dr Bird. He ordered a FemVue to see if tubes were patent and they were not. He saw I needed surgery to remove a uterine fibroids which he did. HSG was done next to confirm now had 1 open tube. I decided to do 3 more cycles of timed intercourse after surgery, none were successful so we're are attempting an IUI next. I have had 3 cycles of Clomid followed by ultrasound to see if any mature follicles. Have had some, but all on blocked tube side :( Am doing another ultrasound next month.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Center of Chattanooga. (Assigned nurse: Deborah)
Nurses and staff are extremely helpful in answering all my questions and communicating with me through the patient portal or on phone if I call them. They are very organized and always seem to know the latest plan no matter who I speak with.
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of Chattanooga.
Strengths are compassion, knowledge base, communication, organization, and willingness to do whatever it takes to get to the goal of getting pregnant. Weaknesses are sometimes I have to see other doctors and nurses besides my normal ones because they are gone out of town some.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Bird at Fertility Center of Chattanooga.
HSG/FemVue approx $500, IUI with Clomid $1,150, extra ultrasound $100
IVF, Donor Eggs
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
Dr Bird was very kind and patient from the very first visit with him. He always explained everything in detail and the reasoning behind why he thought that the course of treatment that we went with was the best one. Every appoint we had with him he was very kind and understanding. We loved him!... Dr Bird concluded after reviewing all my bloodwork that he thought that I indeed did have Premature Ovarian Failure, and that he thought the best route for me personally would be IVF with a donor egg
IVF, Donor Eggs
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
How was your experience with Joseph Bird at Fertility Center of Chattanooga?
Just to be prepared for all the possible outcomes of your diagnosis/diagnosises, but Dr Bird is so great! He always does his best to be kind and compassionate and gone the best care possible to achieve the baby you have always wanted & dreamed of!
He was so very kind and caring from the very first appointment! He seemed very genuine and honest about my prognosis and doing everything he could to help me achieve pregnancy. That’s the main reason we chose him as our Dr.
Dr Bird concluded after reviewing all my bloodwork that he thought that I indeed did have Premature Ovarian Failure, and that he thought the best route for me personally would be IVF with a donor egg because he stated that I could try more medication and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars potentially for nothing or even try IVF with my own eggs (if I even have any left) and have maybe a 30% chance or I could Opt for a donor egg and have a 70% chance of achieving pregnancy. We then decided to do IVF with a cryopreseved or “frozen” doner egg that had already been harvested instead of going through the process of trying to have a donor take all the medications and then having eggs harvested, it made sense to us to just go with eggs that were already harvested and because of cost. We had to sign all kinds of legal paperwork basically stating that we were aware that it was someone else’s dna and that the donor had no rights to the potential baby etc... so the clinic then put the donor egg with my husbands sperm, which resulted in 5 embryos, Dr Donesky then transplanted the 2 healthiest ones and we ended up with 1 healthy baby girl!
The nurses were very excellent! Always nice and understanding. We loved everybody there
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of Chattanooga.
Everyone at the clinic was always very nice and professional! they were almost always on time and very patient with us. And they were very good about responding to me in a timely manner when I needed anything
The cost of the IVF cycle that we did (IVF with cryopreserved donor embryo) was $14,950 without the medication that was around another $1000, and that was the cheapest cycle that they offered whith using a donor egg. the loan that we took out was for $17,000
2007 - 2011
Dr. Bird was very patient and willing to discuss various options and explain what each one entailed. I was nursing my older son at the time and did not want to wean him to TTC if not absolutely necessary. Dr. Bird discussed the pros and cons and worked with me to design a protocol that was compatible with breastfeeding. He was also very compassionate when explaining that my tubes were blocked and that surgery would be needed, and he did that surgery himself.
2007 - 2011
How was your experience with Joseph Bird at Fertility Center of Chattanooga?
Let him guide you - he will make a plan that is right for you as an individual. At first I did not think I needed testing since I had gotten pregnant naturally before but I followed his advice and I'm glad I did since I had some issues that needed to be resolved for a successful IUI.
Personal calls and consultations every step of the way, clear descriptions of what to expect and what step was next. Dr Bird was very patient with my questions and willing to discuss any concerns in detail.
Dr. Bird did bloodwork, ultrasound and an HSG before we got started. My tubes were blocked so I had a laparoscopy to repair them first. Then he recommended clomid, a trigger shot and back to back IUIs. The clomid was to make sure my ovulation was strong enough since he didn't think my hormone levels were great. I also had low progesterone so he put me on prometrium starting around 5dpo.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Center of Chattanooga. (Assigned nurse: Mona)
Everyone was very kind, responsive and seemed invested in seeing a successful outcome for my cycle.
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of Chattanooga.
I can't think of any weaknesses. It's a very clean, comfortable clinic. The front desk was friendly and seemed to know me by name. I never waited for a very long time.
Testing was covered by insurance. Cycle was around $1500 flat fee not including sperm, which I purchased from a bank he recommended.
Chattanooga
r. Bird spoke in a language I could understand. I felt very comfortable at every appointment, because he explained everything before hand. Dr. Bird and I set up a treatment plan and after failed IUI I chose to take a break, due to finances and just feeling defeated. He actully called and spoke to me over the phone vs going back into the office....He welcomed us in his office to go over my past medical records, and kept me very informed on what process would be next.
How was your experience with Joseph Bird at Fertility Center of Chattanooga?
Dr. Bird spoke in a language I could understand. I felt very comfortable at every appointment, because he explained everything before hand. Dr. Bird and I set up a treatment plan and after failed IUI I chose to take a break, due to finances and just feeling defeated. He actully called and spoke to me over the phone vs going back into the office.
Do not be afraid to ask questions. He answered all of ours, even through the tears.
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of Chattanooga.
They have a massage therapist on site and a 1 hour massage is included in the package for IUI. They also had a lounge for husband to retrieve his sample.
IuI cycle was $1150.