Shady Grove Fertility

Nurse available by emailDoctor, Nurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolU. of Virginia
ResidencyBrigham & Women's Hosp
FellowshipMass Gen Hosp
9601 Blackwell Road, 4th and 5th floors
Rockville, MD 20850
301.340.1188
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Joseph Doyle to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shady Grove Fertility to a friend?
PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr. Doyle was very caring, however the practice was so large that I often felt like a number when interacting with everyone else there, which was more often than not... knowledgeable. I wish I’d seen him for every appointment...Definitely do not hesitate to work with him if you’ve already decided to go with Shady Grove Fertility...The first HSG that they did, they pushed the dye too hard and my right tube spasmed shut, making it look like a blockage. As a result we canceled two cycles because they thought I was ovulating on the side with a blockage. Even though there wasn’t one. They still made me pay the full amount for both cycles.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Doyle was wonderful! He was very caring and knowledgeable. I wish I’d seen him for every appointment. I actually know several women with “Docor Doyle babies!” Definitely do not hesitate to work with him if you’ve already decided to go with Shady Grove Fertility.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
The final nurse I worked with, Effie, Was really amazing. She was very compassionate and organized. The reason for the low readings in this area, though, or that I worked with about eight different nurses in the course of my treatment with Dr. Doyle. Some were very good at their jobs, others were not, but there was always a lot of turnover and often they were issues with the handoffs.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They have a lot of resources, great office hours, and a large staff so that you don’t run into issues with appointment availability or service. However, they can make you feel like a number given the size of the operation. They also often forgot about my tubal blockage diagnosis, and told me to go ahead with cycles that should’ve been canceled because I was ovulating on the wrong side. I was also very frustrated that The team who performed my first HSG pushed the die so hard that it caused one of my tubes to spasm shots, mimicking a tube of blockage when they’re actually wasn’t one. I wish the clinic had offered a refund for the two cycles that should not have been canceled as a result of their error.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility.
$1,800 per IUI.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Rockville
I then moved on to a medicated protocol [with Dr. Joseph Doyle] with a low dose of clomid, ovidrel trigger shot and progesterone support after IUI. I really liked this approach as it was aggressive by using the progesterone support, but used a low dose of clomid to reduce the chance of multiples. I only ovulated 2 eggs during that cycle and one was fertilized! I was able to have a healthy pregnancy. I also really liked that there were two ultrasounds early on at 5.5 and 7.5 weeks where I saw a heartbeat and could relax as the risk of miscarriage went down.
How was your experience with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
I felt Dr. Doyle really listened to what I wanted and tailored my care to what I was comfortable with. I wanted a semi-conservative approach seeing as I was over 35 but not diagnosed with any fertility problems. We worked together to come up with a plan that we were both comfortable with and were confident would get me pregnant.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be honest about what you want and your timeline. Make sure you explain your worries so he can give you the best information to set your mind at ease.
Dr. Doyle remembered me every time I went in, listened to my concerns carefully and addressed each one. We even exchanged hiking trail information because we had a common interest.
Describe the protocols Joseph Doyle used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I did not want to be too aggressive with my treatment as I was seeking to get pregnant as a single woman over 35 with no known fertility problems. We had screening of hormones an antral follicle count and HSG to confirm everything was looking good. With that confirmation we decided on 2-3 natural IUI cycles and if that didn't work we would move on to a medicated cycle. I did three natural IUI cycles (the last two where my ovulation was confirmed at the lab with blood tests) but they were unsuccessful. I then moved on to a medicated protocol with a low dose of clomid, ovidrel trigger shot and progesterone support after IUI. I really liked this approach as it was aggressive by using the progesterone support, but used a low dose of clomid to reduce the chance of multiples. I only ovulated 2 eggs during that cycle and one was fertilized! I was able to have a healthy pregnancy. I also really liked that there were two ultrasounds early on at 5.5 and 7.5 weeks where I saw a heartbeat and could relax as the risk of miscarriage went down.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Effie)
I found having a care nurse who was responsive was very important. She communicated with me very clearly and was usually very prompt in returning emails within a day and phone calls as well. She was friendly and helpful.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I think the clinic's strength is that they have everything on site. It is a one stop shop for all screening and procedures. Because it is a busy place it can kind of feel like a factory a bit since there are so many people moving through the same procedures as you. However I found all of the nurses and doctors to be extremely friendly when it came time for a test or procedure. Just be prepared to not feel like the one and only client at the clinic.
Each unmedicated IUI cycle was about 300-800$ depending on ovulation monitoring. The medicated cycle was a flat fee of $1800 plus medication.
Rockville
Dr. [Joseph] Doyle is great and explains things well but in the end you speak to his nurse more than him. I would still return to him because he had a great sense of humor and when he felt that we were losing hope he did personally do one of the IUI procedures. I would and will be more insistent in communicating with him directly....Sheila and Jessica were Dr. Doyle's nurse and assistant. Both were on top of my treatment and would always be compassionate when they had to deliver bad news. I appreciated that.
How was your experience with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
My husband and I attended a seminar held by Dr. Doyle. He was so nice and explained IUI and IVF clearly. We had 2 appointments with him and he did one of the IUI procedures. I felt completely comfortable with him but unfortunately there has been no success. He did warn us that nothing was guaranteed. We are now taking a break from treatment just to clear our heads. My only real issue with the facility were some of the nurses. Dr. Doyle's nurse Sheila was great but some of the others were cold and not as friendly.
Dr. Doyle is great and explains things well but in the end you speak to his nurse more than him. I would still return to him because he had a great sense of humor and when he felt that we were losing hope he did personally do one of the IUI procedures. I would and will be more insistent in communicating with him directly.
I loved Dr. Doyle and his nurse Sheila. Some of the other nurses and staff were just cold and not always friendly.
All of our tests were negative. We had unexplained infertility. Since we had nothing diagnosed as being "wrong" Dr. Doyle suggested we try IUI first since my insurance covered six cycles. Even though they were not successful I'm glad we tried it so we can be prepared for IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Sheila O.)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Strength was the amount of success stories and their reputation. I never had to wait too long for an appointment and they were very responsive to emails and calls. A weakness was that it did, at times, feel like a factory.
1 IUI, Donor Eggs
Dr Doyle is absolutely amazing as a doctor and a person!!!! He really cares about his patients and he was always there for me when I needed him!... Dr Doyle is mild-mannered, friendly, carrying, informative, accomadating and more... He is always there for me! If I was not sure about something! ... I don't remember the first one but the second is called the Antagonist-Vivelle Protocol.
1 IUI, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr Doyle is mild-mannered, friendly, carrying, informative, accomadating and more.... :) He is always there for me! If I was not sure about something! If I was unhappy with the nurse because she wasn't responding to my voicemails & emails! If I was too scared!
Trust him! He's absolutely amazing!!!
Dr Doyle is absolutely amazing as a doctor and a person!!!! He really cares about his patients and he was always there for me when I needed him! :) Now the nurses & staff on the other hand are not so friendly & flexible... We are all just a number in a very busy day for most people working at Shady Grove, Rockville!!! It's so upsetting to be going through all the stress & hormonal shots and to be dealing with inconsiderate people... :(
I don't remember the first one but the second is called the Antagonist-Vivelle Protocol. It's slightly different from the first one
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: I've had 5 different nurses since last year! Non of them worth remembering!! :()
I was just a number for most of them! They were professionally kind of polite but too busy to really pay enough attention to my case or me!!! :(
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Nice, clean and modern building with state of the art medical equipment!
Around $35,000 for two IVF cycles or a pregnancy
Describe Joseph Doyle's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
For my age he strongly recommended a single transfer!
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Doyle was straight forward, explained my diagnosis, treatment options, which to try in what orders, and what to expect if one didn't work versus the time frame of when to move to the next. He was very compassionate and knowledgeable....He loved having all my records to review and is definitely a provider who like to review everything in detail to ensure all basic workup has been done....Communication was awesome between all departments...
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Bring or have medical records sent in advance! He loved having all my records to review and is definitely a provider who like to review everything in detail to ensure all basic workup has been done.
Communication was awesome between all departments, I received a follow up call to ask if I received everything I needed, and had a nurse I could communicate with via email when needed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
Very responsive to emails and communicated well. Called me multiple times to check on me and make sure I was okay or needed follow up appointments. Was very knowledgeable and answered all my questions effectively.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
VERY ORGANIZED. I received folders from the nurse with my treatment plan and schedules and a folder from the financial counselors with price estimates and also a point of contact to email with questions in regards to treatments and policies to review my insurance. Fair wait times and very clean and organized facilities.
Did not seek this option with this physician.
Rockville
Dr. Doyle is very personable. He is kind and cares about his patients. He made a point to call when I had a chemical pregnancy and when I got pregnant came to every ultrasound until I was discharged to my OB. He has great energy and is very positive.
How was your experience with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
I have recommended Dr. Doyle to a friend and would absolutely return to him if needed. Our experience with Dr. Doyle was great. He is compassionate and has empathy for his patients. He is determined to get his patients pregnant as soon and safely as possible. I think very highly of Dr. Doyle and am so glad that he was my doctor.
You are in good hands with Dr. Doyle.
We did 3 rounds of timed intercourse starting with Letrazole and ended with Follistim. I had previously taken Clomid for 2 cycles with my gynecologist. I did not ovulate on my own. My lining was thin on Letrazole so we switched to Follistim for the third cycle which greatly improved my lining. I also used an Ovidrel trigger, progesterone and estradiol suppositories each cycle.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove was very efficient. I was impressed with how organized they were and helped you through every aspect from financial to nursing to pharmacy for medications.
I paid a copay each visit and paid for most of my medications out of pocket.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
He [Dr. Doyle] was unable to do our egg retrieval and was very apologetic and disappointed to not be able to perform this procedure on his patient. He called and followed up with us that same day. He is a very up-beat individual.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Doyle was very personable. He was patient, answering all of our questions in a way we could understand. He also took time to call us with our results and answer our questions. He was unable to do our egg retrieval and was very apologetic and disappointed to not be able to perform this procedure on his patient. He called and followed up with us that same day. He is a very up-beat individual.
Everyone was very nice and genuinely cared about every patient that was there. We were all greeted promptly and with a smile. Staff would say hi, and make small talk.