Shady Grove Fertility

Nurse available by emailDoctor, Nurse available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolU. of Pennsylvania
ResidencyThomas Jefferson
FellowshipU. of Pennsylvania
10630 Little Patuxent Parkway
Columbia, MD 21044
410.997.6999
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Joseph Osheroff to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shady Grove Fertility to a friend?
Dr. Osheroff did not really do any of my procedures or monitoring. We only saw him when it came to an office visit and he did do my last IUI...I wish it was a little more personal and heartfelt, but Dr. Osheroff is very intelligent when explaining different things...Dr. suggested we transfer one or two embryos, but no more because a risk for multiple pregnancies. ...Dr. explains very by the book on how the treatment should work 'statistically'.
How was your experience with Joseph Osheroff at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Osheroff did not really do any of my procedures or monitoring. We only saw him when it came to an office visit and he did do my last IUI. Part of me believes he did the third IUI to basically say he believed it was done right since they have all failed. It is very discouraging when you get the negatives. I wish it was a little more personal and heartfelt, but Dr. Osheroff is very intelligent when explaining different things.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Osheroff at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Osheroff gives the negative or positive when it comes to results/ next steps. Other than that just depend on your nurse to give you the information you need.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Osheroff at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. explains very by the book on how the treatment should work 'statistically'. " 'Statistically' you should have no reason why you shouldn't get pregnant. " Not very warm or really want to hear when you have had three IUIs that haven't worked.
Describe the protocols Joseph Osheroff used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I have been prescribed clomid because I am an insulin resistant PCOS, I do not ovulate on my own. First approach was 4 months of clomid with intercourse, all unsuccessful. The IUIs were thought to work because my husband has only a 3% morphology, after the wash he has about 7-10 million usable sperm. We tried 3 months clomid with IUI, all unsuccessful. Dr. said we could continue doing a few more IUIs, but doesn't suggest it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kim Blackwell)
Kim has been very helpful. She has given all the information on what is to come and what to expect after. Even when we were getting discouraged she had called me and told me what she had gone through and gave us different outlooks on the treatments given.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I have been to 3 different branches of the shady grove and all the woman we have come in contact with were very sweet and happy to help us. From the faces at the front- to taking blood- even the doctors monitoring the follicles! The only weakness I've noticed is how hard it is to get a phone call in to them, but if you saw the line at the 7 am open, you would understand!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Osheroff at Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance doesn't pay for anything infertility. Had to pay for all testing/ medications (don't remember costs- maybe over $1,000?) IUI was about $2,000 each with medications. ($6,000 total) If we do an IVF it is $15,000 for one procedure and that does not include any storing/ extras.
Describe Joseph Osheroff's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr. suggested we transfer one or two embryos, but no more because a risk for multiple pregnancies. If we have the option, the more the better-- two would be what we would want for a greater risk to have babies. Growing up you never think to yourself that you would love to have multiples, until you have infertility issues and then you think you can handle anything that is thrown your way!!!!
2014 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Dr Osheroff knows his stuff and tells it to you straight up in a more scientific way. So I felt in the middle of number and human. He made sure you understand but wasn't warm, friendly, or comforting...Dr Osheroff was straight forward and to the point. He didn't have great bedside manner but made sure you understood everything going on from every angle. He was happy to answer questions and didn't make you feel rushed.
2014 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Joseph Osheroff at Shady Grove Fertility?
He said the best thing anyone ever said, "I can't tell you when, but I can tell you it will happen." I actually told a friend this right before she saw Dr o and he said the same thing.
I did 3 rounds of clomid by themselves. Then 2 rounds of clomid and IUI. All clomid rounds I took pills from days 3 to 7. All were negative. IUI #3 was injectibles, also negative. IVF #1 was the antagonist protocol. My progesterone was too high the day before transfer so that cycle became freeze all. 11 retrieved, 2 made it to freeze. IVF #2 was long lupron protocol. 9 eggs retrieved, 6 mature, 6 fertilized, 1 transfered and 4 frozen. This resulted in 1 live birth. Then FET #1 was estradiol and pio, 1 embryo transfered from IVF 1 batch, that resulted in live birth.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Natalie)
My nurse was fine when she was there, she was out of the office alot. I talked to other nurses during those times who I liked as well.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I liked this clinic. It was convenient to my house. They had many locations with different hours for monitoring appointments. I liked that I could go anywhere I needed to. They also had a support group lead by a psychologist where I met some great friends.
I paid out of pocket for 2 clomid IUI. For IUI with injectibles I purchased secondary insurance. After IUI 3 and IVF 1, we met out of pocket max, so IVF 2 was 100% covered plus my monthly premium.
I really wanted to transfer 2 embryos during my first transfer (2nd retreival), even though my husband was against it. Drs protocol is under 38 and no negatives or miscarriages, then 1 is transfered. It is not just caring for multiples, but added risk to mom and babies. We transfered one and discussed that of it didn't work, we would look into multiple.
Columbia
Dr. O [Joseph Osheroff] made sure my treatments would not cause more damage to my body or fertility after i experienced a molar pregnancy. He always gave the good news with the bad which helped my husband and i to make the hard decisions. Dr. O is very positive, but made sure we always understood the risks.... With my two iui cycles with clomid i had trouble with uterine lining being thick enough, the doctor gave me additional hormones to take to help. Now on my third iui cycle, we are switching up medicines so this problem does not happen this cycle.
How was your experience with Joseph Osheroff at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. O made sure my treatments would not cause more damage to my body or fertility after i experienced a molar pregnancy. He always gave the good news with the bad which helped my husband and i to make the hard decisions. Dr. O is very positive, but made sure we always understood the risks.
Just relax, allow the dr to talk and give you his adivse. I found i didnt need to ask questions with him cause he made sure to cover everything wheile explaining each step to us.
The doctor took the time to explain to me not only the positive outcomes but also the risky side of things. He knew my case was complicated after a molar pregnancy and made sure i was cleared by multiple doctors before we started treatements.
Natalie was great. Always called with my plan, answered all questions i had. She was very helpful and calming.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
My only issue is the weekend nurses called and left a message you were unable to return the call and ask questions. You had to wait until monday to ask questions and that would interfere with work or other life scheduling.
Columbia
He's [Dr.Joseph Osheroff] cordial. He knows his stuff and explains it all. He can be very direct but I liked how much knowledge he had and shared it all. He answers your questions. He uses your name. He has a solid education and is experienced. I believe in him and I think he will help us have our baby...If you want a very warm doctor he may not be the right fit. But if you want knowledge and experience I'd highly recommend him.
How was your experience with Joseph Osheroff at Shady Grove Fertility?
He's cordial. He knows his stuff and explains it all. He can be very direct but I liked how much knowledge he had and shared it all. He answers your questions. He uses your name. He has a solid education and is experienced. I believe in him and I think he will help us have our baby.
Always said hi, knows my name and always uses it, and answers all my questions. I am able to be seen often.
Just starting my first stimulated iui cycle. I'm on clomid then a shot then will trigger and do iui. He thinks it'll give us best chance to fertilize with my husbands mild MFI. If post wash numbers don't look good we will move onto ivf. If they're ok, then will do a few cycles and see what happens. He gave us great reasons and facts and I am happy to go with this plan
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kim B and a few others )
Friendly, kind, honest. She gave me feedback fast, responded quickly to all my emails and always have test results when she said she would.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
So far very organized and friendly and kind. I'm still pretty new in the process.
Not sure. All has been covered by my insurance. They do have financial counselors who explains n everything