Medical SchoolNYU
631-687-2229
500 Montauk Highway
West Islip, NY 11795
631-661-5437
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Joseph Pena to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Long Island IVF to a friend?
[Dr. Joseph Pena] spends 5 minutes (while you and your partner squeeze hands and stare at him) reviewing the pile of records you sent ahead of time (for him to review ahead of time) and 15 minutes purring statistics and acronyms at you... Are you over 35? - regardless of your shape and condition, brace yourself for the gloomiest forecast...He appears knowledgeable and experienced, but very remote. I felt like he follows a check list of procedures (similar to the one you walk away with from the first visit) and cares very little about your individual case.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Do your research ahead of time, he will not bother spelling things out or even explaining what certain acronyms stand for.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Payment for the initial consultation is collected in the office before they even make an eye contact with you. Btw later on they forget to apply this payment towards the balance. Doctor spends 5 minutes (while you and your partner squeeze hands and stare at him) reviewing the pile of records you sent ahead of time (for him to review ahead of time) and 15 minutes purring statistics and acronyms at you... Are you over 35? - regardless of your shape and condition, brace yourself for the gloomiest forecast. Next visit and they try to charge you again - apparently, because they confused you with a couple scheduled for their first visit that day. Any questions about the procedures on the bill? - save yourself time - the answer is “This is what we bill everyone”
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jessica)
The nurse, Jessica, is the only reason we are staying with this clinic. Very responsive, compassionate, detailed.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
Easy scheduling is their primary strength. Weaknesses are multiple! - lack of follow up: we had to chase the dr and his stuff for every single test result. I’m getting calls from the pharmacy about prescriptions I have never been told were given to me... And of course billing, billing, billing... had to triple check and cross reference every item with insurance statements... Oh yeah, and zero common sense and courtesy - “So do you have kids?” adked one of the nurses taking my blood during the first visit... how do you respond to that...
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr. Pena had changed the estradiol pills frequency depending on the levels...prescribed Ovasitol twice a day for PCOS treatment...knew us by name. He knew what we do for living and chatted with us most of the time that we feel comfortable. He had always taken his time with us...He has always been available whenever we had an issue. He listened to our concerns and found the best solutions to our circumstances.
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
We have chosen Dr. Pena based on the reviews although the Patchogue office was not the most convenient for us location-wise. It turned out that Dr. Pena is in summary the Go-To Doctor for infertility treatment in Long Island. Dr. Pena is very knowledgeable (we've been elsewhere, and we now know the difference). He has always been available whenever we had an issue. He listened to our concerns and found the best solutions to our circumstances. In detail, we had only one last cycle covered by insurance. Dr. Pena planned to do a fresh embryo transfer although we had 2 frozen embryos left and to test the embryos genetically (the new and the old ones) so to maximize our chances for this last cycle. But the insurance denied our request for a fresh cycle because we had 2 embryos left. Then Dr. Pena requested a PGS to the frozen embryos to maximize our success rate. But again our request was denied by the insurance because our pre-conceptual carrier screening tests came free of genetic diseases. Then Dr. Pena was left with one option to transfer both embryos, something that we really wanted. He had warned us of the complications of twin pregnancy and we happily accepted the challenge. In brief, we are now 9 week pregnant with twins, thanks to Dr. Pena. Furthermore, because we did not have an OB/GYN at the time of pregnancy, Dr. Pena kept monitoring us weekly until we transitioned to our OB/GYN.
Do not hesitate to discuss your socioeconomic situation with Dr. Pena.
Dr. Pena knew us by name. He knew what we do for living and chatted with us most of the time that we feel comfortable. He had always taken his time with us
Describe the protocols Joseph Pena used in your cycles at Long Island IVF and their degree of success.
Dr. Pena had changed the estradiol pills frequency depending on the levels. from 1 a day, to 2 a day, to 1 a day, to finally stopping it. All based on the weekly blood levels. Dr. Pena prescribed Ovasitol twice a day for PCOS treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Governali)
Compassionate, cheerful and amazing, throughout the whole journey. We had one instance where the billing person kind of yelled at us because a protocol was changed, we have reported the issue to the nurse when we saw her for the consent and she had cleared out the issue for us immediately and professionally.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
The Patchogue clinic at small but well organized and privacy is well preserved. The plus in the Long Island IVF is that they have multiple locations in Long Island all centralized with once system. You can do your blood work near where you work and still follow up with your doctor from another location.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF.
$20 copay for seeing Dr. Pena and $20 copay for ultrasound
Describe Joseph Pena's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Long Island IVF.
After 2 miscarriages, Dr. Pena's preference was for a third single FET. But depending on our specific circumstances, Dr. Pena decided to go for a two embryo transfer, something that we really wanted. He had repeatedly warned us about the complications down the road, and we happily accepted the challenge
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Pena is amazing. I emailed him one afternoon and he called me within 3 hours from the airport, and my question wasn't even pressing. I felt like he spent the time getting to know me and I truly felt heard... I came to him from another clinic with a folder thicker than a dictionary. He spent 2 hours talking with my husband and I on our first meeting. I believe he spent the time necessary to truly get to know my case. He was thorough, pleasant, funny, caring, and intelligent.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena was truly amazing and I am 16 weeks along and attribute it completely to him. I came to him from another clinic with a folder thicker than a dictionary. He spent 2 hours talking with my husband and I on our first meeting. I believe he spent the time necessary to truly get to know my case. He was thorough, pleasant, funny, caring, and intelligent.
If you had bad experiences in the past like I did, it is okay to trust him. I came in hesitantly and, within one visit, felt that I knew I was in the right place.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Joey)
Joey was extremely thorough and went over all my supplements with me when I had questions. If she needed to, she referred to Dr. Pena and never came off too controlling at all. She has a wonderful demeanor and was able to work as a great liason between me and Dr. Pena.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
Having come from another clinic which resembled a factory, I can tell you that Dr. Pena's office is nothing like that. Although a busy office, they really take the time to get to know you and pay attention to any concerns you may have. They are attentive, work as quickly as they can while still giving you the attention necessary during early morning appointments, and they truly have a family feel.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
I never once had an issue with the monitoring window, nor was I any later to work than I had planned. Depending on what time you have to be at work, being late may just have to happen, but I was never held up longer than anticipated. If I needed to be at work earlier I just arrived at the start of the monitoring window time and if I didn't, then I just arrived before the window ended. Ironically, at my previous clinic I would have an appointment time which always took longer than the monitoring window at Dr. Pena's! They do an awesome job getting everything through quickly and efficiently.
I have insurance coverage, so I only paid a co-pay for certain visits. Since it is a center of excellence many of my co-pays were covered.
Dr. Pena was willing to transfer 2 embryos for me since I had miscarried a genetically tested embryo in the past. I elected not to do the testing and transfer one, and to transfer 2 and see what happened. I ended up with a singleton pregnancy.
East Patchogue
Dr. Pena will lay out all the facts for you and will allow you to reach an independent decision...We greatly appreciated his no-nonsense approach. He was warm and guided us at each step of the way. Although we were initially recommended to go through IUI, he did not dissuade us from choosing IVF, which was successful...He listened attentively to all our concerns, and responded promptly to our all our questions, especially via e-mail.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena was warm and guided us at each step of the way. We always felt that we were getting the complete story each visit - both the pros and cons of each step. We will not hesitate to return to Dr. Pena in the future.
He listened attentively to all our concerns, and responded promptly to our all our questions, especially via e-mail. We greatly appreciated his no-nonsense approach. He was warm and guided us at each step of the way. Although we were initially recommended to go through IUI, he did not dissuade us from choosing IVF, which was successful. Sharon at the Stony Brook office went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and calm through this long journey.
We went for IVF with ICSI. For stimulation, I took Gonal F (225 U) and 2 x Menopur for Days 1-6; Gonal F 225, 2x Menopur, and 1 cc Ganirelix Days 7-9; Gonal F 300, 2x Menopur, and 1 cc Ganirelix Day 10; and 1cc Ganirelix and HCG trigger on Day 11, with retrieval on Day 13. For transfer, I took progesterone in oil, followed by Endometrin, Estrace, Aspirin, Medrol, and Doxycycline. This protocol maximized the number of mature eggs collected, and I had one egg transferred successfully.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jessica G)
Jessica G coordinated the overall scheduling and appointments at the East Patchogue office. I saw the nursing staff at the East Patchogue, Stony Brook and W. Islip offices. Sharon at the Stony Brook office was particularly kind and guided me on how to inject the medication and calmed me during this long process.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
Typically for monitoring and bloodwork, the wait is around 10 minutes at the East Patchogue office, but appointments with Dr. Pena may take about 30 minutes due to the volume of patients. The waiting room is comfortable, and the receptionists/nursing staff are very warm.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
Monitoring appointments were efficient, with no more than 10 minutes of waiting if bloodwork only, or no more than 30 minutes if I needed an ultrasound.
We paid about $9,000 out of pocket. The rest was covered by insurance.
Based on my age and fertility, Dr. Pena strongly suggested transferring a single embryo
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Dr. Pena took the time to answer all of my questions. If I sent him an email he would call me back instead of just emailing me. He sat and explained the procedure and discussed all the risks and benefits...Dr. Pena was a great doctor. The practice is big so it's not always easy to receive personalized service, however he was always available to answer any questions I had, calling me to discuss my concerns.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena was a great doctor. The practice is big so it's not always easy to receive personalized service, however he was always available to answer any questions I had, calling me to discuss my concerns. I have a beautiful baby boy and am pregnant again thanks to Dr. Pena.
Don't doubt him. Discuss your concerns with him but trust he will do everything he can to help you achieve a successful pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sue)
My primary nurse was Sue, who does not work in the West Islip office. She is phenomenal and was constantly keeping me updated on my progress. However, Jess, who works out of West Islip is also fantastic. Since all of my screening is done in West Islip, she is the one who calls with my results most of the time. She always explains things to me and puts me at ease. At one point I was concerned I was losing the pregnancy and when I came in the office for testing she came over and asked me how I was doing. She talked to me for a few minutes and said she was keeping her fingers crossed. Luckily everything was OK. I cannot say enough about how great this practice is.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
LI IVF is a large practice. There are a lot of doctors, therefore a lot of patients. On the weekends only the Melville office is open which means you could be waiting over an hour just to have your monitoring services done. However, it's worth it. All of the doctors i've seen have been great. The nurses are all wonderful and everyone is concerned and doing whatever they have to in order to help you on your journey.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
If you went to the LI IVF West Islip office, there may have been a short wait in the morning, but as soon as they started seeing patients, things progressed very quickly.
about average
I wanted to transfer two embryos but Dr.Pena felt strongly I should only transfer one. I am now pregnant with that single transfer!
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Dr Pena was honest from the beginning. I wish i would have listened and not wasted as much time. He stated the obvious about my ovary and egg count. ...I couldn't have asked for a more understanding , caring and a person who actually gets me and can foresee any issues i might have . He really pays attention and made me feel safe and comfortable...he doesn't judge and is actually very funny himself. He will always give you his best medical advise
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Dr Pena was honest from the beginning. I wish i would have listened and not wasted as much time. He stated the obvious about my ovary and egg count. Instead of jumping into IVF i wanted to try IUI. Against his suggestion we tried. Even though it didn't work out he never once said i told you so . He in a kind and nurturing manner suggested IVF with ICSI. Again against his suggestion we only tried IVF. Despite all my failures he was always kind and supportive. I finally listened to him and got pregnant twice. First time i miscarried at 10 weeks 5 days due to stress from my commute and work. This time i'm pregnant and am extremely hopeful for a live birth. Recently i freaked out because i had some vaginal bleeding. I called the emergency hotline and a nurse returned my call , then Dr. Pena reached out to me and told me to come in to see him for peace of mind. He said me stressing will not do anything good. I wasn't scheduled to see him until Thursday but he took me in on Tuesday. When i saw him i was in tears . He was kind and speaking positive . He mentioned that the progesterone suppositories may cause bleeding. He performed the sono and everything is perfect. baby is growing and has a healthy heartbeat. He also mentioned that the sono might cause some bleeding , and not to panic. He mentioned that if i bleed heavily , like soaking 2 pads an hour i need to call him right away and go to the ER. I couldn't have asked for a more understanding , caring and a person who actually gets me and can foresee any issues i might have . He really pays attention and made me feel safe and comfortable.
Be yourself , he doesn't judge and is actually very funny himself. He will always give you his best medical advise . Don't be a hard head like myself. In this case the Dr. does know best.
i have a quirky personality and i felt at ease with Dr. Pena. My left ovary went under a procedure with my gynecologist. Every time we were stiming i would say my left side just takes longer to get ready , like some girls they get ready in 15 mins , my righ side takes longer , she needs to put on lashes , do her make up , get her hair done , and forget about picking out an outfit . forget about how strange this sounds , any time i went in to see him he played right along, when he would see follicles developing he would say she's almost done getting ready and would say hopefully she makes it the party. When she didn't produce anything worth retrieving , he would say little things like she's (my left ovary) is staying in tonight. he always found a way to make me laugh. He made me feel normal and safe.
Due to my low egg reserve had to be aggressive , he took extra care to ensure i was not hyper stimulating my ovaries . He always asked me if i was having any side effects. He did modify one of my meds because my ovaries were not responding.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Castro)
I absolutely LOVE Jessica, she was my rock when i was there. She was so loving and motherly. She explained all my paperwork , i always had tons of questions and she was always kind in answering , never feeling annoyed. I always looked forward to getting blood work results from her as she explained what the numbers meant. She also told me to stay away from google , she had noticed my personality and said she wants me to be stress and worry free. She said if i had any questions or concerns to reach out to her directly and if she couldn't give me the answer she would get me the answer from Dr. Pena. They really are a dynamic duo. I also cant say enough about Krystal , she would be the one who would draw my blood and coordinate my meds for me . She was on top of it. My insurance was a bit of a nightmare to deal with but she was relentless on the followup to ensure i would have meds on time for my cycle. The billing coordinator, Midge, is also so amazing she explained the charges and was always willing to work with me .
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
The clinic is amazing. They sort of become family, everyone knows your cycle and where you are. For me this was invaluable as my family is unaware i was going through treatment. They are against it for religious reasons. This process is emotional and you def need a support system. They became my family i had my own personal cheerleaders.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
When Dr Pena was performing the monitoring it took longer , as i'm sure others had questions and took up more of his time . When he was not in the West Islip office and we had a tech, it was in and out. The tech was always professional and told you your progress if any.
Luckily for me i was covered under my insurance. The only thing i had to pay out of pocket was ICSI, which was reasonable.
Due to my egg quality and count he preferred multiple embryo transfer for my fresh cycle. He did explain the consequences. For my frozen transfer he did explain he preferred just 1 embryo , only 1 made it.
2013 - 2018
I started with Dr Pena back in 2013 with IUI bc I was optimistic that I could get pregnant without too much intervention. Dr. Pena was willing to work with what I wanted but also let me know the statistics and success rates of IUI with no meds vs IUI with meds and then of course the success rate of IVF.... Dr. Pena felt more confident that given my age and the fact that the problem was mainly with my husband that we'd ave a better chance with IVF.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Dr Pena is very forthcoming with information. He's not warm and fuzzy but that doesn't mean he's not kind. I liked how straightforward he was with information and I liked that he had a good sense of humor when dealing with the trials of infertility. Overall I liked his way of handling things and his demeanor. He was real and nothing felt ingenuine or fake.
To really listen to what he has to say and trust that he has a lot of experience to back up his advice
They always used my name and answered all my questions and handled things delicately when need be
I started with Dr Pena back in 2013 with IUI bc I was optimistic that I could get pregnant without too much intervention. Dr. Pena was willing to work with what I wanted but also let me know the statistics and success rates of IUI with no meds vs IUI with meds and then of course the success rate of IVF. So after failed IUI with no meds then I did a couple rounds with meds and still no luck so I went to IVF. Dr. Pena felt more confident that given my age and the fact that the problem was mainly with my husband that we'd ave a better chance with IVF. The first round I didn't get a ton of eggs at retrieval and only 2 survived so that's what they transferred but had a chemical pregnancy. Then I started a whole new fresh cycle a couple months later and had a much better retrieval and had I believe 4, 5 day embryos and they transferred 2 and I got pregnant! They froze the 2 remaining. I had a ealthy single baby girl in 2014. Now in 2017 I went back for a FET and had a chemical pregnancy and then did my 2nd FET about a month ago and I am currently pregnant.
Overall I liked Jessica but not as much as the nurse I had back in 2013/2014 Karen who was amazing. that being said Jessica was very nice but she made a few errors along the way that were frustrating. But always apologized for her mistakes and corrected them but sometimes it felt like maybe she hasn't been doing it long enough.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
Wait times can sometimes be a pain for monitoring and sometimes they won't have enough staff for the amount of patients and that can be frustrating. One time I went in and they no sonogram technician so I had to drive all the way to Melville just for a sonogram.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
I already mentiond this earlier but monitoring on certain days can be a nightmare at this office and other days its easy breezy. When its busy it can be a little crazy but overall you can tell their really trying to get everyone in and out in a timely fashion
I am very fortunate to have very good insurance so I had zero co-pays til I had a positive pregnancy test
West Islip
[Dr. Joseph Pena was] upfront and candid about procedures and results... very personable but still professional. Always answered any questions that I had...My partner and I used donor sperm. My partner became pregnant through IVF in 2016 using Dr. Pena and it was very important for us to use the same reserved sperm. We only had a certain amount of viles and I made this clear to Dr. Pena. He completely understood our concerns. We decided to start with IUI. Although, clomid wasn’t necessary, I opted to take it. Dr. Pena was clear on the pros and cons of taking it.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
From start to finish he is very clear and candid about all procedures and expectations. He answered all questions I had and made me feel very comfortable. After the IVF procedure, I had several questions. He responded to my emails almost immediately, did not leave me hanging in the unknown. I highly recommend Dr. Pena and I would definitely use him again if need be.
This process is not an easy one. If you want a true experienced professional who is going to be upfront and candid about procedures and results, he’s the doctor for you!
His staff and himself were very personable but still professional. Always answered any questions that I had when I left office in a very timely matter and spent the time to assure I understood.
I do not have any known fertility issues. My partner and I used donor sperm. My partner became pregnant through IVF in 2016 using Dr. Pena and it was very important for us to use the same reserved sperm. We only had a certain amount of viles and I made this clear to Dr. Pena. He completely understood our concerns. We decided to start with IUI. Although, clomid wasn’t necessary, I opted to take it. Dr. Pena was clear on the pros and cons of taking it. I did 4 single iui cycles, all resulting in negative pregnancies. The last cycle I will mention the sperm count was below normal. With Dr. Pena’s support, I decided to try IVF the next cycle. All instructions and risks were clearly cut out for me and I was completely comfortable going through with it. The retrieval and transfer were all a success and resulted in pregnancy. He is closely monitoring hormone levels and the babies growth and once I will soon be sent off to the OBGYN.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jessica )
Jessica was very organized and also set and met expectations. Very responsive to messages left for her and called back in very timely manner. Staff was very personable and pleasant.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
The doctors are on a rotating schedule for retrieval and transfer procedures, so don’t expect to have your doctor complete every retrieval or transfer. That being said, any doctor I encountered was just as good as the next. No issues. They are open 7 days a week, not every office though. You may have to travel to another office on weekends. Even when using a different office, I was made very comfortable and the staff was very organized and timely. Communication is great throughout the entire process.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
Very efficient process. Weekends tend to be a little busier but they really do a great job getting people in and out. Very organized.
I have very good insurance, fortantely with no copays.
I really did not want multiples and because of my age and quality of embryos it was only necessary to transfer one embryo.
IUI, 1 IVF
Dr. Pena is the most knowledgable doctor i've ever met. Dr. Pena truly knows how to do his job. Since the first visit at his office, I felt completely confident in his abilities to get us pregnant. During my treatment I started to show signs of hyperstimulation, Dr. Pena changed my medication, and I truly believe because of this I did not develop OHSS. I read horror stories on the internet about OHSS and their doctors not knowing how to prevent it. But I was fully confident Dr. Pena knew what to do and he did.
IUI, 1 IVF
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
One piece of advice I would give a prospective patient would be to trust in Dr. Pena to make your dreams come true. He is professional, knowledgeable and compassionate.
Dr. Pena and everyone in his office, knew me by name. Everyone was very friendly, understanding and took care of my every need. I knew I could call or email Dr. Pena at any time with any questions or concerns I had, and he would respond within minutes. I felt very loved at his office and am so grateful to Dr. Pena and his staff.
On the first day of my period I began taking estrace for 4 days. One the 5th day I went to Dr. Pena's office for my baseline bloods and sono. That afternoon I received my phone call with instructions. I was told to take Follistim and Menopur for 3 nights and return to the office the next day for blood and sono. That afternoon I received my phone call with instructions. I was told to continue the same treatment, Follistim and menopur. for two nights and return the next day for blood and sono. I was told to continue same treatment and return to the in two days. On that day, was when Dr. Pena saw that I had MANY follicles. I returned to the office everyday after that until egg retrieval. Once Dr. Pena saw that I had many follicles, he changed my medication to 2 menopur each night and to discontinue to follistim. I also took ganirelix to prevent ovulation. On Sunday night I was told to take a small dose of HCG alone with a lupron shot. 36 hours later I arrived for my egg retrieval. Dr. Pena retrieved 37 follicles, 29 mature, 23 fertilized, 1 successful fresh transfer and 15 embryos frozen!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Joey Falson)
Joey called every afternoon with my instructions. Her instructions were clear and she was able to answer any other questions or concerns I had.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
This clinic was clean, organized, caring and knowledgable. They became like family, as I was there almost everyday for a month. The secretary always greeting you with a smile and pleasant conversation. Diane, who took my blood each morning was amazing. I only trusted her to take my blood! Joey, my nurse was very knowledgable and could answer any questions or concerns I had.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
I always arrived 15 minutes before the monitoring window, so I was always the first to be seen and was in and out in 10 minutes.
I was fortunate enough that insurance paid for my entire IVF treatment. I did not even have any co-pays until I was pregnant.
Dr. Pena did a single embryo transfer, I am 29 years old and we both felt that a healthy 9 months of pregnancy was more important than multiples. Especially because multiples can cause a high risk pregnancy.
East Patchogue
I rarely saw or spoke with Dr Pena - he was only present during a few monitoring appointments for a few minutes at a time. It seemed pretty clear he didn’t really remember where I was at in my cycle and just referred to the paperwork to discuss the specifics of my cycle....Our initial consultation with Dr Pena was very good and he explained the general process very thoroughly. After that point we received little to no communication on our situation, next steps, test results, etc. Dr Pena did not perform the IUIs, our retrieval or our transfer
European, East Asian
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Our initial consultation with Dr Pena was very good and he explained the general process very thoroughly. After that point we received little to no communication on our situation, next steps, test results, etc. Dr Pena did not perform the IUIs, our retrieval or our transfer (not exactly sure why he is even labeled as our doctor?). One of the only times I did speak to him on the phone (when I was upset at the number of blastocysts we ended up with), he gave me partial (and arguably inaccurate information) about embryo quality. I also felt Dr Pena did not communicate process or potential options in treatment to us at all. We are left feeling much money was “wasted” just being pushed through a cattle herding process...
Communicate after key results and give reasons for why treatment plans/directions were chosen. Give options to patients but provide recommendations where necessary. Make sure your patients are clear on next steps and ensure there are no surprises for them.
IUI 1 (2 follicles) & 2(8 follicles - cycle canceled): Clomid IUI 3 (1 follicle): letrozole IVF 1: gonal-f & menopur for stimulation, lupeon, hcg (ovidrel) trigger, Estrace and POI prior to transfer
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jess)
Jess is so friendly and very compassionate - she couldn’t be more helpful when asked for assistance with anything. I wish the calendars that were provided were a little more thorough and explanatory (especially since we were going through our first IVF). I ended up learning most of the helpful information through YouTube and fertility communication boards!
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
LIIVF is a high volume fertility clinic that sees patients in mass. All the offices (especially Melville) are very crowded and you will end up waiting for most appointments. The doctors work as a team so it is very likely your own doctor won’t be performing your own procedure and the nurses and practioners take on the brunt of the communication and patient liaising.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
If you are the first person in the office there is very little wait. However, if you are late you have to wait at least 45minutes to an hour. Generally, appointments at the West’s a Islip office are short and Dr Pena is present most days.
Insurance covered most but general costs without insurance are $6000 for IVF cycle, $3500 meds, $4000 PGS
Dr Pena said he would only do single embryo transfer for our first IVF since I am under 41 years old.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr.Pena and his staff treated me with the utmost respect during my treatment. Dr. Pena was kind, caring and informative. He took his time to explain everything, review results and discuss the next steps in my treatment....I underwent 3 iui's. All of them were similar in treatment plan of action. I was given clomid on day 3 for five days. After that I went in multiple times to check follicles and hormone levels. Wheb the follicles were ready I was Instructed to do one shot of ovidrel and than two days later I would undergo an iui.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena is an amazing doctor. I felt comfortable from the day I stepped foot into his office. He took his time to explain treatments and procedures. He answered my questions quickly and efficiently. I trust Dr.Pena 100 percent and would recommend him to anyone struggling with fertility issues.
The only advice I would give is to trust him 100 percent with whatever course of treatment he thinks is best.
I underwent 3 iui's. All of them were similar in treatment plan of action. I was given clomid on day 3 for five days. After that I went in multiple times to check follicles and hormone levels. Wheb the follicles were ready I was Instructed to do one shot of ovidrel and than two days later I would undergo an iui. The first was negative, second was a chemical and third I am pregnant with twins!
All of the nurses and staff are fabulous and friendly. I felt completely comfortable with them. I enjoyed coming to the office even though this was an extremely difficult time for me. The nurses and staff members always answered my questions and were very positive.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
The office is amazing. I would ugly recommend Liivf patchogue to everyone and anyone! I went to another practice on Long Island and I was not happy. Once I came to Liivf patchogue it really changed my view on my fertility issues and the everyday challenges I was facing.
Thankfully I have insurance that covers most of my treatment. I had co pays and had to pay for medication.
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
what I received from Dr. Pena was understanding and encouragement to move forward with the vision that I had in mind which was donor embryo...he went out of his way to be there for my most recent transfer even though he was not on the schedule...Dr. Pena made himself available to me, missed his daughter's soccer game on a Saturday morning, and successfully completed a perfect transfer for me. I am currently now pregnant for the first time in my life. I will be forever grateful to him.
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
It's hard for me to pin down Dr. Pena's strengths since I feel that he is just such a great doctor overall. For me, his biggest strength, was his ability to connect with me as a person. He did not make me feel intimidated but instead almost made me feel like we were going through this together. He explained procedures as we were going through them and took the time to make me laugh which I desperately needed at times. He is so skilled as a doctor knowing my body and was able to access my uterus repeatedly when other doctors were unable to. At times, I encountered setbacks like a polyp and Dr. Pena was immediately prepared to direct me in the right direction so I didn't feel lost. When we had times of disappointment, he took a few moments to remind me that sometimes this was part of the journey but we could still move forward. Most of all, he went out of his way to be there for my most recent transfer even though he was not on the schedule. A few of the previous doctors had much difficulty entering my uterus and left me in pain and bleeding. Knowing this, Dr. Pena made himself available to me, missed his daughter's soccer game on a Saturday morning, and successfully completed a perfect transfer for me. I am currently now pregnant for the first time in my life. I will be forever grateful to him. Dr. Pena is a great doctor and amazing person. I can't say enough good things about him.
Be sure to speak from your heart and be as open as you can with your intentions and wishes in building your family. Also, don't hesitate to ask him for recommendations when needed for other doctors. He has a great network! If something doesn't feel right, trust your instincts.
I have been struggling with male factor infertility for almost ten years. It has been a very long and emotional journey. During my first meeting with Dr. Pena, we went through my history and my intentions for the future. By the end of our first meeting, I was able to smile and relax feeling like I was sitting with a friend who genuinely wanted happiness for me. I was prepared to hear more statistics and lectures but what I received from Dr. Pena was understanding and encouragement to move forward with the vision that I had in mind which was donor embryo. He even went as far as to compliment me on being an intelligent individual and applauded my decision to make a reasonable choice for my family. Medical knowledge and experience is extremely important but to have someone feel like they are on your team is priceless. He gave me hope. I am so thankful.
We pursued donor embryo's and since we have male factor infertility, I assumed that everything would be super easy - boy was I wrong! Prior to first transfer, Dr. Pena performed a mock transfer where he found an endometrial polyp. He directed me to have this removed in order to improve my chances for a successful transfer. My first attempt to have this removed was unsuccessful due to cervical stenosis and the surgeon (NOT DR. PENA) ruptured my uterus. We decided to move forward with the polyp in place. The LIIVF team suggested that I get a quick endometrial biopsy to increase my chances of success. However, Dr. Kreiner was unable to access my uterus, it was excruciatingly painful and he decided to cancel the procedure halfway through. Dr. Pena felt it wasn't necessary and simply installed a cervical stitch then we had two transfer attempts but both were not successful. Dr. Pena suggested that I see another surgeon for polyp removal and recommended an amazing doctor who ultimately was able to remove the polyp successfully. Following the removal, I had an unsuccessful transfer which Dr. Pena felt was due to embryo quality. The team suggested that I move forward with a hysterosalpingogram to make sure that my tubes were ok and not leaking fluid which may destroy the embryo. All checked out perfectly fine. I had a fourth transfer with Kr. Keningsburg and it was very difficult, took numerous attempts to access my uterus and was a failure from the start. I left bleeding and in pain. Finally, my fifth transfer with Dr. Pena was perfect and resulted in a successful pregnancy.
The nursing staff at the West Islip location are amazing. They are very professional and kind. They are organized and successfully drew blood or scheduled sonograms for me quickly and efficiently. Most days, I was able to stop in before work and still be at work on time. I completely owe this to the nursing staff at West Islip. I also can't say enough great things about them.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
The West Islip location is by far the most organized and quickest location. They have a sincere respect for your time and get you in and out quickly. All of the nurses are down to earth, take a moment to say hello and even give a bit of comfort or thumbs up when needed. Everything is extremely clean and neat.
Medications - less than $1,000 Co-pays - approx. $1,000 Transfer/Donor Embryo Fees - $2,000.00 per transfer
Dr. Pena was fully supportive of my choice immediately from the start. I was insistent on SET since I am almost 40 and felt it would be too risky. He understood my concerns and explain the advantages and disadvantages thoroughly.
West Islip
From our first appointment we instantly felt comfortable with Dr. Pena. He thoroughly explained our options and each procedure. He was straight to the point, which I appreciate, and has a great sense of humor that always put me at ease...From our first appointment we instantly felt comfortable with Dr. Pena. He thoroughly explained our options and each procedure. He was straight to the point, which I appreciate, and has a great sense of humor that always put me at ease.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
From our first appointment we instantly felt comfortable with Dr. Pena. He thoroughly explained our options and each procedure. He was straight to the point, which I appreciate, and has a great sense of humor that always put me at ease. I have already recommended friends who are struggling with infertility to meet with Dr. Pena.
I feel that Dr. Pena is very compassionate but he is also very direct when answering questions or explaining certain things. Although I definitely prefer this form of communication and found it to be extremely helpful throughout this process, I know that some patients may feel like they need a little more "hand holding."
Dr. Pena was extremely thorough when answering all of our questions. His sense of humor made this stressful process much easier.
IVF - egg retrieval and Day 5 transfer (singleton) Medications: Follistim (Pen) varying dosage (mostly 200iu) Menopur 75iu (eventually increased dosage) Cetrotide .25mg Chorionic Gonad Progesterone in Oil 1ml Estradiol 2mg (2x daily) Methylprednisolone 4mg Endometrine 100mg (3x daily) Baby Aspirin (1x daily)
The entire staff at Long Island IVF East Patchogue is fantastic, especially Joey, Peggy and Diane! Every single staff member is knowledgeable and compassionate. I instantly felt welcomed and supported from the moment I called to schedule my consultation. The staff at Long Island IVF absolutely helped to make this experience as positive as possible. I cannot say enough good things about this amazing team!
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
Long Island IVF East Patchogue has fantastic staff who work together as a team to provide the best possible care for every patient. Their early morning hours are especially helpful for those who have to go to work. You also never have to worry if you are scheduled to come in for monitoring over the weekend or after hours because you will be instructed to go the Melville office which also has flexible hours. There is always someone you can talk to if you have any questions, even after office hours. I was extremely satisfied with their level of communication when it came to medication instructions and upcoming appointments/procedures.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
Monitoring appointments always went very smoothly. Patients were given a time frame (usually 7am-9am) to come in for monitoring. It was first come, first serve and always appeared to be well organized.
We were fortunate enough to have all of our procedures fully covered by our insurance. We only had copays for the medications and a $20 copay for all appointments after a confirmed pregnancy.
Dr. Pena strongly recommended eSET due to my age, history and potential risks with multiples. I definitely feel that eSET was the right decision for us.
East Patchogue
...Every step we have taken under his [Dr. Pena's] direction and changes in my care has brought us a step closer to better results, and quickly ruled out options that weren't working. I recall one time at an egg retrieval about to go under anesthesia he even held my hand. It gave me a sense of comfort and that he views his patients as more than just a number :)...Be patient...it's a timely process, but your in good hands w Dr Pena...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Always professional, compassionate & informative. Every step we have taken under his direction and changes in my care has brought us a step closer to better results, and quickly ruled out options that weren't working. I recall one time at an egg retrieval about to go under anesthesia he even held my hand. It gave me a sense of comfort and that he views his patients as more than just a number :)
Be patient...it's a timely process, but your in good hands w Dr Pena
Everyone is upbeat & positive, kind, knows who you are welcomes you, w/ good follow-up. This goes for all offices in Patchogue, W Islip & Melville
My treatment I think is probably typical of someone over 40. IUI, IVF's and frozen cycles. But we recently did PGS and it has worked so far, but equally as important it's more efficient and saves time when you're racing against the biological clock, as well as limits miscarriages. Dr Pena suggested PGS and gave us great peace of mind when considering another round of IVF which seemed overwhelming at the time (after a miscarriage).
Always upbeat, professional, compassionate & informative. She was always one step ahead of me in terms of preparing my medicine orders and next steps. IUI IVF etc is a lot to process and she simplified it well and always gave us peace of mind. Considering she deals w tons of patients I never felt like a number. The same goes for the Melville office, as I used both offices often over a 2 year period.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
Always upbeat, professional, compassionate & informative. I spent a majority of my office visits in the Melville office. Everyone was always kind, supportive. As important the office is very efficient which is helpful when you're going before your daily job every morning. It can be very stressful. The O-R staff is exceptional we were always in awe how well run (and clean) the O-R was. You would even get a big hello and a hug goodbye on days you were in the O-R, which is an overwhelming experience, so it is nice to feel that level of kindness.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
Efficient & professional...always upbeat. 7am isn't an easy time for anyone, and the whole staff made it less stressful
We paid out of pocket and have paid appx $100K over a 2 year period. A portion of our IUI and meds the first year were covered under insurance but we met the lifetime cap rather quickly and have paid out of pocket majority of the time
West Islip
Dr. Pena is warm and friendly but honest and realistic. He shows compassion for his patients and NEVER makes me feel like I am just another patient. In fact, he made me feel like I was his ONLY patient, even though of course I am not. He was attentive to my needs and questions...He remembered conversations we had the weeks previous and would ask or remark about those. That made me feel important like he "really listened" to me...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
no advice is needed, except, to listen to whatever he suggests you do.
Dr. Pena was always warm and friendly. He remembered conversations we had the weeks previous and would ask or remark about those. That made me feel important like he "really listened" to me. The entire office is amazing and super warm. They always make you feel like you're the most important patient.
Dr. Pena started me with Clomid and suggested we start with IUI. We did two cycles unsuccessful, and upon reviewing my husbands sperm count, Dr. Pena recommended that we then move on to IVF. He wanted to try the IUI to be less invasive and to be a little proactive as long as we were willing to be patient with the process. We moved onto IVF with many other course of treatements.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Joanna (JOEY))
All of the nurses and staff are wonderful, caring people. They are super patient, even if you call asking the silliest questions. They explain your next step clearly and are always available via email or phone call to answer questions. Joey was extremely patient with me and my questions. Diane, the nurse/phlebotomist, was AMAZING and GOT MY VEIN EVERY TIME!! She never missed and it was NEVER painful.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
The best part about this practice is having so many locations. You are not "LOCKED IN" to any one location, so if you need to visit a different location for convenience with work, life, etc, you are able to do so. The clinic has a wonderful, organized system for their morning monitoring so they usually have you in and out in a timely fashion. The fact that they are 7 days 365, means you never miss any windows of opportunity...And, there are so many drs. in the practice, you can always get in to see one in an emergency.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
As stated previously, the morning monitoring appointments ran like a "well oiled machine". There was a system, and it was the same at each location. It was a smooth process and was usually an in and out process. Because the process is the same at each location, it was easy for me to have my morning monitoring done at a location, other than my primary location, so that it was convenient for my work schedule.
Thanks to my AMAZING insurance, I paid for NOTHING related to my IUI or IVF except for my medications!! It is AMAZING.
East Patchogue
My first OB appointment my OB called this pregnancy a threatened miscarriage, offered me the abortion pill, expected me to miscarry before my next follow up 2 weeks later since the sac was empty. I informed Dr. Pena's office of the results. Dr. Pena had me come in only 4 days after my OB appointment and there I was able to see the baby, yolk sac and the heartbeat :-D I am so grateful he did this for me, I was able to relax and know the baby is ok!...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
As stated in my previous answer, he is easy to get in contact with. That is a HUGE PLUS! He is thorough and explains everything in a way you understand. You may feel overwhelmed from all the information but first visit, he gives you a plan of action. You leave with a printed copy of what to expect, what your next steps are, what tests you will need, etc. He does the sonograms himself. He is very easy to talk to. I don't have one negative thing to say. He is absolutely fantastic and I would recommend him to anyone having difficulty conceiving.
Check out his reviews. I have never seen a doctor with so many positive reviews in my life and now I understand why.
I love Dr. Pena. I wish I could continue seeing him my entire pregnancy. He gives you his email address in case you need him directly. I emailed him and received an auto response stating he was out of the office for the next week, so I figured I wouldn't hear back for a week. He emailed me back an hour later! I appreciated that so much and it definitely made me feel like I was being treated like a human. Also, I ended up getting pregnant naturally but he noticed my progesterone levels were low. He has prescribed me progesterone and has continued monitoring me until I'm out of the first trimester. He is listening to me and taking better care than my OB.
We started with a lot of blood work to check out my hormones, glucose and whatnot. Due to my glucose results, I was put on Metformin which I knew I needed for years but other doctors wouldn't listen. My husband did a semen analysis to make sure he wasn't having issues as well. His analysis was perfect. The next step for a dye test to check for any blockages in my tubes. It was then that they gave a pregnancy test to clear me for the HSG test and the results came back that I was already pregnant :) If I had not conceived on my own, the plan was to try Letrozole and IUI. The pregnancy test did show low progesterone levels so I came back for a follow up. the follow up showed my progesterone had lowered so he put me on Crinone 8% and has been checking on me since. My first OB appointment my OB called this pregnancy a threatened miscarriage, offered me the abortion pill, expected me to miscarry before my next follow up 2 weeks later since the sac was empty. I informed Dr. Pena's office of the results. Dr. Pena had me come in only 4 days after my OB appointment and there I was able to see the baby, yolk sac and the heartbeat :-D I am so grateful he did this for me, I was able to relax and know the baby is ok!
Best nursing staff I have ever had to deal with. They are on top of their game. They call same day with results. If you call them and need something, they call you right back with the answer. They are friendly and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
Prepare to wake up very early for appointments! They take blood 6:30am-8am in Stonybrook and 7am-8:30am in Patchogue. I think this is so thoughtful! They understand that we also have full time jobs and a lot of us are 9-5 (or 8-4:30 as I am) so we aren't constantly missing work for follow ups.
Based on my insurance, the first $10k of infertility is covered. I have one $30 copay bill that just came in.
East Patchogue
He [Dr. Pena] explained step by step what to expect, how to move along through the process, and all possible tests that may be used/ordered. His bedside manner was great during exams, and he was thorough in explaining what he was doing, seeing, etc...He has been involved each step of the way; ordering and reviewing bloodwork, ultrasounds, medication, and any other needed tests and/or courses of treatment...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Dr. Peña is a very knowledgeable professional in the field who is friendly and compassionate. He has been involved each step of the way; ordering and reviewing bloodwork, ultrasounds, medication, and any other needed tests and/or courses of treatment. His bedside manner and relatedness to patients is second to known. I feel confident in his care, and am grateful for the care he has provided me thus far.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, he's a wealth of knowledge.
Dr. Peña was personable from the first time my wife and I met him. He engaged us in some easy conversation before getting into the more technical aspects of treatment and the fertility process. He explained step by step what to expect, how to move along through the process, and all possible tests that may be used/ordered. His bedside manner was great during exams, and he was thorough in explaining what he was doing, seeing, etc.
An initial ultrasound and bloodwork were done the 3rd day of each cycle. That same afternoon I was instructed when to begin clomid. The first two courses of clomid consisted of 1 pill a day for 5 days. The last two cycles consisted of 2 pills a day for 5 days. This medication was used to help stimulate follicle production. On day 10 of my cycles, I returned to the office for bloodwork and ultrasound to monitor hormone levels and check follicle growth. Each cycle, I returned every 1-3 days to repeat bloodwork and ultrasound, receiving instructions as when to return the same afternoon. Typically, I would go in for three visits to monitor prior to having the IUI. We chose to use only one donor specimen per cycle, as the cost was very expensive. The morning of insemination, we would go in and identify the donor specimen and allow time for it to thaw. After approximately 30 minutes, we would go to an exam room with the specimen and the doctor where insemination occurred. The procedure itself lasted approximately 10 minutes, between insertion of the speculum, swabbing of the cervix, and injection of the specimen through a catheter. The doctor was sure to describe each step of the procedure, checking in with me often to make sure I was okay. After waiting several minutes, I was free to go about my day. Two weeks later, I returned to the office for a pregnancy test. The first three tries yielded negative results. The fourth try, with a new donor yielded a positive result. After the very first IUI, I returned to the office for blood work a week later to check my progesterone level. At that time, I was prescribed progesterone suppositories to use three times a day. I continued using the progesterone folllwing each IUI as directed by the doctor.
Jess has been phenomenal since day one. She has helped my wife and I understand the process each step along the way, answering any and all questions, and returning both emails and phone calls in a very timely manner. She has been a liaison between the doctor and myself, as well as the rest of the staff at the clinic myself. She is the one that calls me with results following bloodwork and ultrasound, providing instructions as to how to proceed. Jess is compassionate and caring, and very supportive of the emotional rollercoaster this process is. We are so grateful to have had Jess by our side throughout this experience. The rest of the nursing staff has been equally as phenomenal, from the phlebotomist, to the ultrasound techs, to the office manager and everyone in between.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
Long Island IVF is a comprehensive clinic that specializes in fertility services. Their practice has a number of fertility specialist on the staff to accommodate your needs, both personally and financially. They offer a wide range of locations, with various hours that work with your schedule. They are great at communicating necessary information from health care comcerns, to billing, to insurance and more with their patients. In addition to offering fertility services, they offer informational sessions, and support groups. They're compassionate to their patient's individual needs, and willing to work with them to ensure the best care that they can.
Out-of-pocket fees for insemination, with washing of the donor specimen, and all bloodwork and ultrasounds needed in between cost approximately $2,000. The thawing process of the specimen was $100 per cycle perio. With insurance, there was still a thawing fee of $100, however office visits simply cost me my insurance co-pay. My insurance covered the actual insemination.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Pena was very direct and to the point with his plan of action. He is very much a realist and wants you to look at the facts rather then be moved by emotion. He has been very attentive and compassionate to my situation. Since becoming pregnant he has been an absolute pleasure to be with. He is still a realist, but you can see the excitement in him when he is performing the ultrasounds and watching you listen to the heartbeat. Dr. Pena makes you feel safe, and I trust him completely...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
If you are looking for a warm and fuzzy type doctor he may not be for you. He definitely cares, but he does not present it in that soft kind of way.
At times his bedside manner was not the warmest, but he was informative on what was occurring to me at that time. Once I became pregnant, he became warmer and seemed genuinely concerned about me and my concerns.
After initial blood work I was put on the FABB Tab. I went through 3 rounds of IUI while being on clomid and having a trigger shot (Ovidrel) for each one. They were administered into my belly approximately 24 hours before an IUI treatment. Blood and sonogram were done regularly - every day after day 7 of your period.
Joey was a wonderful care coordinator, and very compassionate. She was always available and would answer any questions that I had. I felt very comfortable with her, and could tell she really cared about me. Diane, the phlebotomist, is an absolute pleasure! She is amazing at what she does - you don't even know your blood is being drawn! Very personable and made you feel at ease. I had the opportunity to work with Sharon at the Stonybrook Office and she was the nurse who did my IUIs in Melville. She was extremely knowledgeable and would walk you through every step of the process!
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
While they see a lot of patients during the day you are never made to feel like you are not important. They are extremely efficient and make sure you are getting the care and assistance that you need.
My insurance covered everything 100%. I was only responsible for my copay once I became pregnant.
East Patchogue
He [Dr. Pena] was very honest and candid in his overview about the IUI procedure and outcomes, as well as the percentages. However, he did not fully discuss the specific details of the process should it succeed (which in this case it did on the first round), such as how often blood hormone levels were to be taken and monitored, and what each sonogram was specifically looking for. While these details may vary from case to case, it would have been nice to receive a rough idea of how often appointments would need to be scheduled and what each appointment would entail before the appointment was made...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
He was very honest and candid in his overview about the IUI procedure and outcomes, as well as the percentages. However, he did not fully discuss the specific details of the process should it succeed (which in this case it did on the first round), such as how often blood hormone levels were to be taken and monitored, and what each sonogram was specifically looking for. While these details may vary from case to case, it would have been nice to receive a rough idea of how often appointments would need to be scheduled and what each appointment would entail before the appointment was made.
Ask for specific details about the procedure being done, and be honest with him about your medical history.
He was very honest and up front with me.
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) was chosen as there was no obvious fertility problem, the HSG indicated no blockages, the female patient was ovulating regularly, and the males sperm count was high. Clomid was used to facilitate ovulation as well, in order to increase the chances of success. These procedures were successful upon the first round.
The nurses were professional, and efficient. Additinally, phlebotomists were able to easily draw blood upon their first try.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
Unfortunately, this clinic's office staff were not as efficient as the Doctor or nurses. Paperwork was lost or misplaced. The fax machine was often not working, resulting in a delay in paperwork. The phone lines were also not working regularly, which made communication difficult. Even the billing procedure was not fully explained. When I asked for a copy of my file to bring to my regular OBGYN, I was denied.
IUI was completely covered by insurance, with just c-pays being applied (at times).
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
He [Dr. Pena] was always honest and straight forward with me which I definitely appreciated. I was very happy that he was there to do my egg retrieval. Despite infertility being a very difficult, emotionally draining process, I am grateful that I had such a wonderful doctor to help guide me through the process and help me to achieve my ultimate goal...motherhood...felt that Dr. Pena was compassionate yet straight forward and I appreciated that. I didn't feel like a number at all...
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena was excellent throughout this entire process. I only ended up having to do micro Ivf once and am very blessed that it worked on the first try. He was always honest and straight forward with me which I definitely appreciated. I was very happy that he was there to do my egg retrieval. Despite infertility being a very difficult, emotionally draining process, I am grateful that I had such a wonderful doctor to help guide me through the process and help me to achieve my ultimate goal...motherhood. There are no words to describe my appreciation for everything Dr. Pena has done for me.
I felt that Dr. Pena was compassionate yet straight forward and I appreciated that. I didn't feel like a number at all.
I first went to liivf in 2014 when I was 39 and I had diagnostic testing done on my husband and I. We we're thinking about adoption at the time also and actually didn't go back until September of 2015. I believe I was not ready for fertility treatments when I first went. When I went back, Dr. Pena and I discussed a plan of action and decided that after three iui treatments, if none resulted in pregnancy, I would do Ivf. After doing two iuis, I took a bit of a break after I had a polypectomy and d&c. I then did one more. After waiting a few more months I knew Ivf was the next step. I did micro Ivf in August of 2015 and am so blessed to finally be pregnant! I can not thank Dr. Pena enough for what he has helped to give me. I am so grateful to have had such a wonderful Doctor throughout this process. I can't say enough wonderful things about him!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Joanna falsom)
Everyone at the liivf patchogue location is an angel!!! I can not say enough wonderful things about them!
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
They are absolutely wonderful!!! They are all compassionate and everyone there really cares. I wouldn't have been able to hang in there if it wasn't for them! Peggy, Diane, Joey, Elizabeth, and Dr. Pena....I can't thank them enough!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
The morning monitoring appointments easily fit into my schedule and even if it was busy, I rarely had to wait very long. I felt that appointments ran very smoothly and efficiently.
When I first went in 2014 I had no coverage and everything, including diagnostic testing was out of pocket (a big reason I put it off for a little while and then went back in 2015). I had partial coverage for the iuis in 2015 under my insurance ($2,500.00 deductible which I met). For micro Ivf, I didnt have coverage (some medications were partially covered). It was $3,900.00 for the micro Ivf, $500 for the anesthesia, about $750.00 for the medications and $2,000.00 for the icsi.
East Patchogue
He [Dr. Pena] had a good bed side manner, he answered questions and explained things. We only saw him a fee times over all, for "big" appointments but he remembered us...He was nice and I'm formative I just felt like I never saw him, you would see him once a cycle maybe twice. Now that we are pregnant we see him for every appointment but that will only be a total of four times...He's a great doctor. But if you are expecting to see the doctor every time try a different place or maybe be more vocal about it when making appointments...
European, Latino
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
He had a good bed side manner, he answered questions and explained things. We only saw him a fee times over all, for "big" appointments but he remembered us.
First 2 cycles were both iui with clomid, did a day 3 to 6 or 7 and then just monitored till ready to trigger, first round at 50mg and second at 75mg. Only had one or t folices each time. Then moved to ifv, type of cycle was never mentioned but did menopur, one vial a day and gonal f that started around 150 but changed up or down depending on blood work then added cetrotide toward the last few days, my e2 level was high so we did a combo Lupron hcg trigger. Then progesterone in oil estrogen and baby asprin after transfere
All the girls in the office were nice l, my nurse was very I'm formative but not very personable she also seemed to be the office manager and perhaps the only nurse in that office so she was everyone's nurse
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
Multiple locations, early office hours, but most apointments were first come first serve so you stoo a good chance of waiting an hour or more sometimes
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
If you weren't the first person there you would be waiting an hour, and if it's on Wednesday your waiting an hour no matter what because dr. Peña does them and he doesn't come in at 7, closer to 8
My insurance covered most things so I had copays, and 2500 out of pocket for ivf, but I had several incidences where I was double billed and billed for things like sonograms that didn't happen. When I asked about it they showed me a sono with my name and the date in question on it but even the sono technician said she knows I didn't have one that day.
IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Dr. Pena and the staff made me feel like they were familiar with my record. They were all very supportive of my decisions and encouraging...He was very knowledgeable and confident. I felt comfortable with him. He had a good sense of humor too...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena was a wonderful doctor. He was very knowledgeable and confident. I felt comfortable with him. He had a good sense of humor too.
Dr. Pena could be vague at times and I would have to ask for clarification to make sure I understood what he said.
I believe my treatment was very standard. I went on birth control for three weeks before starting the injections. My retrieval went forward as scheduled. I was switched from a three-day to a five-day transfer. I went for regular blood and sonogram monitoring prior to my retrieval and after my beta test. I am currently 7 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Joanna "Joey" Falson)
My primary nurse was very good. She always answered my questions and never made me feel like I was taking up too much of her time. Joey was very business like - nice but very formal most of the time. The rest of the staff, the phlebotomist and any nurses covering for Joey were all very nice and helpful.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
I thought the clinic was great. Everyone was so nice and supportive. The receptionist was very sweet and I never had an issue making appointments. One weakness is that the waiting area is relatively small so my advice is to get there early to get a seat for blood checks.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
All monitoring appointments were fine. Its a good idea to get there early, especially on Wednesday mornings as it can get quite crowded.
Due to my insurance and because the Long Island IVF is considered a center of excellence by my insurance company, I had no costs (with the exception of donor sperm) until I am became pregnant. Then it was the standard co-pay.
East Patchogue
Whenever I had a question and emailed him [Dr. Pena] , he either called me or emailed me back within a couple of hours. This has even occurred after receiving an email that he was out of the office...He would always start off with the statistics so we could fully understand what to expect and then would always take the time to answer our questions. I was unable to monitor in his office because of my work schedule but I was aware that he was fully involved in my monitoring and treatment. Whenever I had a question outside of the office, I would email him and would usually receive an answer before the end of the night. Sometimes if these questions came really late I would notice the next morning that he would answer at all hours of the night. It was very helpful knowing that we had somebody who was knowledgeable to help us through this process...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena is very knowledgeable within this field. After my gynocologist suggested that my husband and I go to Dr. Pena, we immediately began to do our research and had found many positive things said about him as well as seeing how successful he had been with his patients. This was my husband and I's first time going through this and Dr. Pena would answer any questions we had. He would always start off with the statistics so we could fully understand what to expect and then would always take the time to answer our questions. I was unable to monitor in his office because of my work schedule but I was aware that he was fully involved in my monitoring and treatment. Whenever I had a question outside of the office, I would email him and would usually receive an answer before the end of the night. Sometimes if these questions came really late I would notice the next morning that he would answer at all hours of the night. It was very helpful knowing that we had somebody who was knowledgeable to help us through this process. He understood our urgency and desire to get pregnant and made us feel that there was no way that it would not happen.
He is a statistics doctor first off but he is caring and willing to talk you through any questions you may have.
Dr. Pena always treated me like a human. He is very good with the statistics but will also talk to you like a human and answer all of your questions. Whenever I had a question and emailed him, he either called me or emailed me back within a couple of hours. This has even occurred after receiving an email that he was out of the office.
We did several rounds of Clomid with being told when to have intercourse. We also did 1 round of Clomid with IUI cycles. When it came time for our second IUI, we did come across an issue and Dr. Pena pointed us in the right direction and set up a plan for this to not occur again. We didn't want to continue this route and asked to start IVF. After having a polyp removed, we began IVF treatment with a serious of shots, followed by a trigger shot and progesteron in oil shots. This all led up the retrieval of 8 eggs. 7 of those eggs matured and 4 fertilized. We did use 1/2 ICSI on this cycle. We did a day 5 transfer of 1 embryo and unfortunately, the other embryo's did not survive to be frozen. We did not receive the news we had been hoping for with this cycle and we had a ton of questions. Dr. Pena was understanding and very accommodating as he changed around his schedule to meet with us when we were both going to be home from work. During that visit, we really felt like he was talking to us and was completely understanding with all of our questions and frustrations that non of the other embryo's were able to be frozen. During this appointment, Dr. Pena also offered us and told us all about PGS testing with the downside of having to wait several months. He explained that it was our decision and understood completely when we said that we wanted to wait on the testing to hit the ground running over the summer since I am a teacher and won't have to worry about working while trying again. We had to begin the whole process all over again. This time Dr. Pena changed one of the injectable medications but it was the same process as last time. This cycle we chose for all ICSI and that we wanted to put in 2 embryos no matter what day it was. This time they were able to retrieve 9 eggs. 7 of the matured and fertilized. We again had a day 5 transfer of 2 embryos and found out the following day that we still had 2 more that could be frozen. We are currently 7 weeks pregnant still under Dr. Pena's care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Joanne Cutolo)
Joanne was also very helpful and would answer any questions my husband and I had. She took the time to sit with us to go over all of the paper work as well as the plan that Dr. Pena had written up. Joanne also showed us where the injections were to go, how to do it and when to do them. She also informed us that the injectable medication was able to be mixed together so we only had to give 1 shot a night. She was always very cheerful and I felt that she was always there for me.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
The clinic (Long Island IVF) is very convenient with locations all over Long Island. It was nice to know that I did not have to worry about being late for work because Dr. Pena's office did not open until 7. I was able to go to the Melville office for my monitoring and all the staff in both locations was helpful and understanding.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
It was convenient because of all the locations around Long Island because they all opened at different times. I was unable to monitor at Dr. Pena's office because I would be late for work if that was the case so I went to the Melville office. They took you on a first come first serve basis and knew that most of us were there that early so we could get to work on time. The staff was always on time and I never had to worry about being late for work. They often opened the doors a little early while they got set up for the day so we did not have to stand outside in the heat or the cold.
I am very fortunate as my insurance considered Long Island IVF a "Center of Excellence" and I am covered up to 50k. The financial coordinator was very helpful with us setting up our accounts with our insurance as well as answer questions we had had about costs of procedure from our insurance and the price that they charge my insurance for freezing both sperm and embryos. I only needed to pay the co-pays for the medication.
West Islip
As a patient, I knew I was under good care with Dr. Pena. He is extremely knowledgeable and confident in what he does. I was happy with his bedside manner and the way I was treated, and he was always very warm to my husband as well...He explained everything thoroughly, answered all questions and provided literature. He was warm and spoke in a manner that was inviting and not intimidating...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
I would tell a prospective patient that they will be in good hands, and that Dr. Pena will answer any and all questions for you during your first consultation. He makes it known that he is there for you along the way to answer any questions that you may have. You will have a doctor that is on your side and rooting for you.
Dr. Pena took the time to have a detailed discussion with my husband and I prior to the start of treatment. He explained everything thoroughly, answered all questions and provided literature. He was warm and spoke in a manner that was inviting and not intimidating. When we had our last appointment at week 7 of my pregnancy, my husband and I felt that he was genuinely happy for us. ( I am now 10 weeks.) It is easy to tell that Dr. Pena enjoys doing what he does.
We were diagnosed with "unexplained infertility" I went through 2 cycles of IUI. The first was completely negative. I am now 10.5 weeks pregnant. I took 2 rounds of clomid 100mg PO for 5 days. I had blood work and sono my first round with a trigger shot of ovidrel, and then the second round I had blood work and sono more frequently which is what I believe led to a positive test. I used the trigger shot as well for my second IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jess )
My nurse that I dealt with primarily at the West Islip office, Jess was very nice, always smiling and always reliable to call with results. She knew I was a night shift worker, so would give me a heads up to call times since I had to go straight from work many days to the office in the morning. She would always ask if I had questions.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
The only issue I had with the office was for my first cylce and obtaining my ovidrel injection. It was never approved on time from the outside pharmacy, and I was not sure when I would need it by. The day I was told to take it, I still did not have it, so they had to provide me with a pharmacy in Brooklyn who would deliver the injection to me that night, but I had to pay out of pocket. Being new to the process, I was not well enough informed on being prepared with the injection. For me, this was very stressful because I had to call the on-call nurse, as it was a saturday because I was not called back like I was told I was going to be after they placed the RX for me. When I called the pharmacy they had no e-script for my injection. Eventually it was all taken care of, and I got my shot on time, but someone definitely dropped the ball there.
Everything was pretty much covered under my insurance except. I had to pay co-pays and double co-pays if I had labs and sono on the same day.
2011 - 2016
...If you didn't understand something or had a question he [Dr. Pena] took the time to explain it. His bedside manner is wonderful. He was a perfect fit for myself and my husband. We appreciate when we are told straight on what is wrong not beating around the bush...He would run into us in public and knew who we were. He is a great dr with the best bedside manner!...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena is a great doctor. If you didn't understand something or had a question he took the time to explain it. His bedside manner is wonderful. He was a perfect fit for myself and my husband. We appreciate when we are told straight on what is wrong not beating around the bush.
Dr. Pena is going to be completely honest with you. If you are paying out of pocket he will not waste your money on procedures that are not warranted. You have to be open and willing to listen to his suggestions.
Dr Pena knew my name and my husbands name. He would run into us in public and knew who we were. He is a great dr with the best bedside manner!
All of my IVF cycles the medications I used were.... Follistim Menopur Progesterone in oil Estrace Baby aspirin Hcg as my trigger My dosages varied for each cycle. My IUI cycle medications were.... Clomid Follistim Don't remember the dosages
The ladies that I encountered were wonderful!!! Joey was my main nurse, however Jess would cover as well. They both were great! They always gave full directions and if you had a question they both answered with no hesitation. They were both a huge part of my cycles. They had great bedside manner! Diane the Phlebotomist/ medical assistant was awesome as well! She always made you feel comfortable! Her positive attitude kept you staying positive! Peggy the receptionist was a warm face to see when you walked in. She knew everyone by name. She would always make you feel at home. Liz the medication specialist was on top of it. The medication ordering or reordering went smoothly everytime. The whole entire staff was great. I honestly can't say enough about them.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
The whole staff will make you feel like family. They have a tremendous amount of compassion!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
Monitoring was done between 7am-8am. I liked the early morning hours because I was in and out before I had to be in work. They called with results/instructions by 3pm.
East Patchogue
Dr. Pena was great. I felt like he was talking to me on a person to person level...My one piece of advice would be to always do your research and ask the subsequent questions. He had great bed side manner, I always felt comfortable with him. On our first consultation he explained everything perfectly and I felt much more confident and in control with my treatment with him as my doctor as opposed to my first fertility doctor. Things went as smoothly as they could during infertility treatment and I had no issues with Dr. Pena...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
I really liked Dr. Pena as a doctor. He had great bed side manner, I always felt comfortable with him. On our first consultation he explained everything perfectly and I felt much more confident and in control with my treatment with him as my doctor as opposed to my first fertility doctor. Things went as smoothly as they could during infertility treatment and I had no issues with Dr. Pena.
My one piece of advice would be to always do your research and ask the subsequent questions. With my first fertility doctor I felt completely out of control and it was extremely frustrating.
Dr. Pena was great. I felt like he was talking to me on a person to person level. I didn't feel like he had any cockiness or over confidence that I associated with my first fertility doctor.
We started with 100mg of clomid usually on CD 4/5 for five days. Clomid was used because of my PCOS w/annovulatory cycles. My follicle growth was then monitored for the next 2 weeks (give or take) using ultrasound until my follicles were about ready to release. I was then given the "go-ahead" to inject myself with a trigger shot to further help my follicles release the eggs. About 36 hours after taking the trigger shot I went in for the IUI procedure. Two cycles produced negative results, one of which had a "weird" result with slight positive at home pregnancy tests, a negative blood test at first and with a second blood test it came back positive. With a third blood test, it was negative again and I concluded was a chemical pregnancy. The third time was the charm, however, and I am currently (as of 7/29/16) 7 and a half weeks pregnant.
Jessica was wonderful, she was extremely upbeat and always a joy to talk to. She always called at the same time of day, which was great seeing as I knew to schedule my day around receiving the call. The rest of the nursing staff were very kind, however sometimes they (more so the receptionists) seemed to not be confident or know 100% what they were doing. This review is more for the LI IVF Melville location because I did 99% of my monitoring at that location. The nursing staff were always nice and talked to me about personal stuff, since I saw them so much. However the financial adviser Vitalia (Melville location) was absolutely horrible. She never seemed to know what she was talking about. She never had a correct answer for me and would usually just pawn me off onto someone else (like billing), who also wouldn't be able to answer my questions. Every time I had to deal with her in the very beginning of our journey, it was like pulling teeth. For example, she (and the rest of the staff) completely neglected to inform myself or my husband about possible charges from genetic testing, that if insurance didn't cover it, it would then come out of pocket. Since our insurance did NOT cover it, we ended up being billed and spent 3 months battling to get it waived because we were unaware our insurance wouldn't cover it. During this whole time with having to deal with Vitalia it really gave me a bad taste in my mouth. She constantly forwarded me to other people who had no answers and it was a nightmare. We then ended up getting billed two more times, totaling around 1,800 dollars. Thankfully after a long 6 month battle we got it settled and only paid the one bill of 600 dollars. Another example of my frustration is during the second cycle of IUI, I was doing my monitoring at the Melville location and before my pregnancy blood test, I had taken an at home pregnancy test which came back very faintly positive. When I got the blood test results back, it was negative. Which was devastating, but I picked myself up to start round three. When I went in for blood work to start the next IUI cycle, the nurse from the Melville location called and basically just said "This is weird" and told me my blood results came back with a positive pregnancy, but it was probably just a lab error. This frustrated me to no end, specifically because "this is weird" is not professional at all and if there is a high chance it is a lab error, I should have just been told I needed to come back for more blood work. I went back for more, hoping and praying for a miracle and it ended with a negative. That whole roller coaster ride was extremely emotionally difficult for me and I spent the next half of the new IUI cycle very angry.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
As far as strengths go, the staff was friendly and comforting. The monitoring hours early in the morning were great because I was able to do all my treatment without it conflicting with work or personal life. The staff was always fast too, for normal monitoring I never waited more than 20 minutes (includes getting blood drawn and ultra sound preformed). As far as weaknesses go, at some points it really felt like there was a slight lack of professionalism on phone calls, as well as slight incompetence throughout the different offices. For example, one nurse telling me to schedule an appointment for a pregnancy exam, and another nurse telling me I just need to go in for monitoring hours. This caused confusion and doubt as to what was correct. A major weakness also was the Melville locations financial adviser. She was a very frustrating person to deal with in every situation. Anything else I want a new patient to know is to always ask questions, always take your treatment in your hands and control everything you possibly can. Always ask for specific number results and what they mean, as why you're taking certain medications, ask if these things will be covered by your insurance before you accept any form of medication or treatments. If you don't you will be taken advantage of, as I was in the beginning!
I had around a 700 dollar deductible when we started. A few co pays of 40 dollars each (probably totaling around 120). 2 Rounds of trigger shots costed about 200 (give or take). I believe the third round was covered by insurance. Clomid medication for 3 rounds costed about 90 dollars if not covered by insurance. All monitoring (blood and sonograms) were covered by insurance.
Melville
2013 - 2016
Dr Pena was very invested in my success... He was so kind and explained things thoroughly. He laughed with us and helped discuss our next steps if our last try didn't work...Ask questions. If you don't understand what is expected you may delay your process. He is very patient and will answer those questions whenever you need them answered...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Dr Pena was very invested in my success. That's why I am currently going back to try for my second child.
Before beginning treatments, you have a checklist of things you need to do. He wants to make sure you have a good pap and breast exam for your protection. Spouse needs a semen analysis (I have heard people going through treatments at another facility and never get an analysis to see if that was the problem which is ridiculous to me). I had a femvue test that checked that my tubes were clear. When he clears you to begin, you can start when your next cycle begins. Here was my procedure: I don't remember doses but this was my treatment. Call day 1 of cycle Go in day 3 for blood and sono Not sure what day I began clomid but I was on it for 5 days I think. Go in for blood and sono day 10. I needed progesterone supplements each cycle starting the day after my iui. And every day until I got my period or when I got pregnant I used it until appx week 10. Keep going in for blood and sono to see when ovulation will occur. When the follicle is mature, they tell you when to take the trigger shot. Take the trigger shot the night before ovulation. Go in the day of ovulation and hand in sperm specimen. They wash it and prepare it for insemination. If your ovulation didn't occur just yet you go in for a second iui the next day. I got pregnant after a two day insemination, which was hard with work but I had an understanding workplace at the time.
Karen was the best nurse. She was concerned for me and wanted my success. I wish she was still around but from what I understand she switched positions. I didn't have much of a relationship with the other nurses because I only saw them a few times. They were just ok.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
I wish they had appts for monitoring rather than first come first served. It's hard to do that with work. My old job understood but my new one will not be. Especially if they are running late it makes you so late for work.
I had to pay 3 copays often. Bloodwork, sono, dr visit. But I'm thankful my ins covered the procedures.
IUI, 6 IVF, Donor Eggs
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Pena is a very caring doctor and he took the time to care about me as a patient. He would listen and answer all my questions. If I called or emailed him he would get back to me very quickly. He is compassionate and really cared about me and my feelings as I went through many IVF processes. I completely trust Dr. Pena and he really takes time and cares about his patients...He was very honest telling me the pros and cons for me as an IVF patient....
IUI, 6 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena is a very caring doctor and he took the time to care about me as a patient. Dr. Pena is very knowledgeable about infertility and thoroughly went over my health, background and infertility history. He was very honest telling me the pros and cons for me as an IVF patient. I completely trusted Dr. Pena and felt very comfortable with him. I went through 5 IVF cycles that had a failed pregnancy test and Dr. Pena was very compassionate and cared about my infertility struggle. He then told me about egg donor. We did one egg donor cycle which resulted in a positive pregnancy test and we now have our beautiful baby girl. Dr. Pena was always there for me throughout my infertility struggles. Dr. Pena is an amazing IVF doctor I would recommend to anyone who wants to go through IVF with a compassionate and supportive doctor.
If a patient is going to have Dr. Pena as a doctor, they should listen and take his advice because he is a very knowledgeable doctor and will be able to help you in many ways to have the family you always wanted even if its not the way you intended like me doing egg donor to have my family.
I haven't done egg retrieval in a few years but the medicine protocols changed and the medicines I remember taking are Lupron, Gonal-F, Menopur, Bravelle, Estradiol, Medrol, Baby Asprin, Lovenox Shots, Progestrone in Oil Shots and HCG Shots
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Karen Froehlich)
Karen is a very caring nurse and I trust her completely. She is knowledgeable and very thorough in her instructions as I went through the IVF process. She answers all my questions and cares about me as a patient.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
Dr. Pena and the other doctors are very knowledgeable and caring towards their patients. Long Island IVF is a great fertility practice that can lead you to creating a family you always wanted.
my insurance covered 80% of 3 IVF's. My husband and I paid for 2 IVF's $ 8, 000 and egg donor at $ 15,000
2013 - 2016
Dr. Pena is a wonderful doctor who treats every patient like they are his only patients. I know that if I am under his care I will be ok no matter what. When going through infertility you can feel extremely hopeless but he has the ability to give you back that hope and the belief that everything will work out...If I had a question at any time I emailed him directly and he responded right back to me. This always made me feel better that he was an email away at any time...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
He is worth meeting, because as soon as you have a consultation with him you will know he is the right choice to make all your dreams come true.
What made me feel the most human in regards to Dr. Pena was the accessibility to speak with him. If I had a question at any time I emailed him directly and he responded right back to me. This always made me feel better that he was an email away at any time.
Dr Pena prescribed me different hormones to help regulate my low levels. His rational was to make sure my uterus was the perfect environment for an embryo. They results of both times- 1. a full term pregnancy of a little girl and 2. currently 7 weeks pregnant with my second. Thanks again to his ability to provide me with the correct medicine I was able to get pregnant twice under his watch.
Every nurse and medical assistant I encountered at any office I went to was always above and beyond wonderful. You grow attached to this group of ladies and they help make the process easier.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
Only weakeness is you usually wait a little to see the Dr but not terrible.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
It was certainly organized. At times I would get there early, so I could get to work on time but in general the system they have works fine and there is no confusion of where you should be.
My treatment was covered under insurance so I just paid copay's once I got pregnant and/or had to buy medicine.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor
He [Dr Joseph Pena] is warm, compassionate, and truly cares about the outcomes and emotional well-being of his patients. No matter the time of day, Dr. Pena was always available via email. He is highly professional, yet warm and understanding. He made what could have been an extremely trying process one that was exciting and educational. He is truly the best of the best.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena made me feel at ease and comfortable at every visit. He is warm, compassionate, and truly cares about the outcomes and emotional well-being of his patients. No matter the time of day, Dr. Pena was always available via email. He is highly professional, yet warm and understanding. He made what could have been an extremely trying process one that was exciting and educational. He is truly the best of the best.
Do not wait to make your appointment! You will not be disappointed. I only wish that I had the courage to begin the process sooner.
Dr. Pena is, without a doubt, the most caring and honest physician I have ever had the pleasure of working with. He is delicately direct, genuine, and incomparably available and responsive to any questions or concerns along the way. He has given me one perfect daughter, with another child on the way, and I look forward to working with him and the entire East Patchogue LI IVF staff again in a few years. I will never be able to thank him enough!
Dr. Pena prescribed Follistim and Ganirellix, followed by Ovidrel. My results were favorable, with no uncomfortable or unforeseen side effects.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Joanna Falson)
Joey was always available, willing to listen to my questions and concerns, and highly supportive!
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
The clinic is run like a well-oiled machine with state of the art technology and the most incredible staff.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
The office did their absolute best to treat their patients in a timely manner during monitoring appointments. Wait times varies depending on the "patient density" during a particular cycle. However, the office made the wait comfortable and there was often friendly conversation between patients, which was often like a support group!
I was only responsible for medication co-pays and then office visit co-pays once I became pregnant. My insurance covered 100% of my infertility treatments.
East Patchogue
Dr. Pena is a cool super doctor! He is very caring, patient, knowledgeable, and experienced doctor. I truly feel that he gives all his patients enough individual attention. For that, I am very grateful and satisfied after each visit... Dr Pena explained to me in such a way, I can easily understand and felt that he cared and understood me. He has a way to calm me down when I got nervous about the upcoming procedure.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena always give individual patient enough time to ask questions. When I saw him in the clinic, I never felt that was rushed out as the way other doctors made me felt. I felt that I had all my questions answered and I felt pretty well when I left. Dr Pena explained to me in such a way, I can easily understand and felt that he cared and understood me. He has a way to calm me down when I got nervous about the upcoming procedure. He was able to convince me to make the right decision. Dr. Pena is a cool super doctor! He is very caring, patient, knowledgeable, and experienced doctor. I truly feel that he gives all his patients enough individual attention. For that, I am very grateful and satisfied after each visit. I would strongly recommend Dr. Pena and his staff to anyone looking for a successful pregnancy and to start a family.
Don't afraid to ask any questions. Dr. Pena is very good at answer any questions objectively.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Zoey)
All the staff are kind, helpful, and professional! Clinic staff are all nice, friendly, and professional. The bathroom is always clean. I can easily schedule a meeting with Dr. Pena. They always called me back in a short order when I have questions.
IUI, 4 IVF
Dr. Pena is an amazing doctor. Very patient and responsive. He take so much time with you as a patient to answer all your questions and explain everything...He is the best! He is honest with how treatments will go and even during treatments he sets your expectations. You can't go wrong...I have a high fear of medical treatments, needles being a top concern and everyone at the office took so much time to help me through everything and give me every tool I needed to make it through the treatments. Dr. Pena and the nurses answered every question I had in a super quick time frame and always took a lot of time to walk us through our concerns.
IUI, 4 IVF
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
My cycles for IVF were pretty standard. The first few he supported my decision to do natural cycles with just the HCG injection. I had such a high fear of the process that this was all I was capable of, he did warn me of the risks and eventually I tried a medicated cycle. I had one for my daughter and one to try for a second. Both I used Gonal F and then Ganirelix. From our first try I had 2 embryos left over which resulted in a failed frozen transfer. This time our fresh transfer was unsuccessful but we went through with a frozen cycle that is currently ongoing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jessica and Joey)
Jessica was my main nurse contact and she is amazing. She always takes the time to answer my questions. Joey is also at the office and she is just as available and also great at answering questions. They both made the whole process great. Diane does the bloodwork and honestly I couldn't have gone through this without her. She calmed my nerves and does a great job!
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
I just loved the whole staff and everyone from the front desk (Peggy) to Dr. Pena made me feel supported.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
The monitoring is done in the morning and the process is fine.
IVF is not an inexpensive process but my insurance ran out and the office was great at supporting us in finding grants to help defray some of the costs. Compared to other clinics they seem to be at parity.
IUI, 5 IVF, Donor Eggs
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Pena is a doctor who really took the time to care about me as a patient. Whenever I had any questions or concerns he responded immediately by a phone call or email. He was very thorough in his evaluations and made me aware of the positive and negative outcomes as we went through our IVF journey. He made me feel like he really cared for me and he wanted to see me have the family I longed for. When we had our daughter he was so happy for us!
IUI, 5 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena is a very knowledgeable doctor and very thorough in his testing and evaluation of me and my background to fully give me the best treatment as an IVF patient. I have been with Dr. Pena for over 6 years. He was very caring and has an amazing bedside manner throughout my time at Long Island IVF. There were many times I had a negative pregnancy result and Dr. Pena was there to care for me as a person and also give me advice as to what my next steps are. He then gave us advice to do egg donor and we ended in a positive pregnancy result and we now have our beautiful baby girl. Dr. Pena was always there for me and answered all my questions and really cared about me as a patient. I fully trust Dr. Pena and would recommend him to anyone who wants to go through IVF.
Listen to the pros and cons of doing IVF. To have the patient listen and take the advice of Dr. Pena because he is very knowledgeable and knows a lot about infertility and will lead you to feeling trusting and comfortable with the tough IVF process.
Its been a few years since I did an egg retrieval but I recall throughout my many egg retrievals Dr. Pena had me taking Lupron, Gonal-F, Bravelle, Menopur, Estradiol, baby asprin, medrol, progestrone in oil shots and HCG shots
My nurse Karen was very caring and thorough in her steps to help me through my IVF process. She always answered all my questions and listened to my concerns. She gave clear and precise directions as to what I needed to do throughout my IVF cycles. I felt very comfortable and I trusted Karen with everything. She really cared about me as a patient.
Joseph Pena
From the first time my husband and I met Dr. Pena. He was very welcoming and put us at ease. He went over my history and what options we had. He made me consider fertility options that I was once against. I never realized how easy things could have been done during this fertility process and I can't thank him enough for reassuring us and helping us.... Every step that was told to me, was exactly how it happened. All my instructions were always clear and precise. I never had any misunderstandings. I never thought this process would be so "easy" as it was.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena has been very helpful to us in our process of fertility. If it weren't for him explaining things at such a ease and making me feel like having a baby is a possible I probably wouldn't have chosen this fertility treatment.
My advice would be- this is probably one of the most toughest times in your life. Beyond stressful.... Dr. Pena was the only doctor to sit down with me and believe anything is possible. My dream of being a mom is on the way. And my husband and I couldn't be happier. He's very understanding and patient. Go for it!
Dr. Pena and his staff of nurses were amazing during my fertility process. Every step that was told to me, was exactly how it happened. All my instructions were always clear and precise. I never had any misunderstandings. I never thought this process would be so "easy" as it was.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sue at the Stony Brook office )
I used the Stony Brook office as my main location since it was very close to work. Can I just say LI IVF has the BEST nurses and doctors on staff. Ive never felt more at ease, comforted and welcomed. I recommend LI IVF to everyone whose seeking a great team.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
Stony Brook LI IVF and it's entire team is so welcoming and caring. Everyone one of their staff members go out of the way for their patients. Whenever I call with a concern someone ALWAYS gets back to me the same day. I'm really impressed the way this facility operates. Everything is very organized.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
Never had a problem. Usually a small wait. Nothing crazy.
Fertility procedures are defiantly expensive. Medications aren't included. We spent around $10K or more. This isn't including getting billed for monitoring. Definitely put a hole in the pocket! And unfortunately they do not accommodate paitents with a payment plan.
2013 - 2016
This is my second active pregnancy with Dr. Pena. Both times, I have felt comfortable and I always knew that I was receiving the proper care with Dr. Pena. What really amazed me, was how quickly he would respond ANY TIME I emailed or called him (and I did that frequently)..wether it was a holiday or a day off, he always returned my calls. He answered every question I have ever had, and I loved how he would always give me analogies that really explained the situations. He didn't use the "technical/confusing terms" he always brought it to my level and I always felt comfortable...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Dr Pena is extremely knowledgeable and professional. Trust his guidance-he is working on your side to help YOU, and you are not just a number to him! He truly shows compassion and passion for what he does, and he is always there for you!
Dr Pena has always made me feel comfortable and at ease. He ALWAYS answered any email or phone call in an extremely timely manner, and he had a way with words. He truly made my experience a positive one, and as emotional as this experience is, if it wasn't for Dr. Pena, I wouldn't be able to get through it all.
Jess was an avid communicator as well. She responded quickly with all of my questions and really served as a person I could lean on and trust throughout this emotional rollercoaster of a ride. I will miss seeing her in the mornings, and I highly recommend her to anyone!
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
I dont have many weaknesses about this clinic. My only negative is that I start my workday at 7:10am, and sometimes monitoring is difficult for me, as I usually have to take a 1/2 day of work, BUT, on the flip side...having Dr Pena do the ultrasounds as opposed to a sono tech, really shows how much he cares about his patients.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
It was a well oiled machine. Again, the only drawback was waiting in the morning, but then again, its because my work day starts so early. The staff always worked hard at getting me in and out :)
Insurance covered most of the costs...we have paid between $1,000 at the most
West Islip
Dr. Pena answered all my questions and concerns. He addressed my sensitives in a very respectable manor. As a fun-loving person, I appreciated that he entertained my humor as a stress relief but was very professional and serious when he needed to be. He is extremely knowledgeable and was very responsive to all my outreaches...If you have questions, just ask. The nurses and doctors see a lot of patients and you can't expect that know all the questions that you have. Ask the questions you want answers to and you shall receive...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
The staff was extremely personable and took very good care of all my questions and needs. I felt as though Dr. Pena had my best interests in mind
First cycle: clomid cycle with natural conception second cycle: clomid IUI Third Cycle: IVF - one egg transferred. Dr. Pena and I originally discuss 3 rounds of IUI but I was not able to handle the emotional stress. Given I had a blocked tube, we agreed that we could move forward with IVF
The nursing staff for Dr. Pena is excellent. Joey was my primary nurse but was away on vacation for a bit. Jessica did an excellent job filling in while she was gone. Jessica talked me through the IVF procedure and what to expect because naturally, I had more questions. Di and Peggy are such great sounding boards in the office - their positive attitudes really helps with morale.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
The clinic is great. Friendly staff, clean, prompt and you don't have to wait too long for visits. Get there as early as you can on Friday's because that is one of the busier days. In comparison to other Dr offices, East patchogue require minimal wait time. If you have an appt. at the Melville office, be prepared to wait 1+ hrs.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
Well oiled machine- very efficient. unbelievable actually! well done
everything is covered by my insurance, aside from co-pays and minimal prescription costs.
2013 - 2016
Dr. Pena is very thorough in his explanations and his plan for your treatment. He is always honest. My husband and I already have one beautiful son from Dr. Pena, so there was no hesitation where to go when we wanted to start trying for our second...For my fresh cycles Dr. Pena had me taking injections of menopur and follistim to create my eggs. I also took estrace pills and ganirelix when the time came. After transfers, I was taking injections of progesterone in oil and endometrin suppositories to keep my lining thick. I always got a good number of eggs retrieved with this protocol. Frozen cycles are much easier and relaxed. All you have to take are estrace pills and progesterone in oil injections. When I did get a positive pregnancy test I continued to take estrace pills, the progesterone supplements, and baby aspirin until Dr. Pena felt it was safe to stop.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
From the first appointment we made with Dr. Pena my husband and I knew right away we were going to like him. He has a very warm and kind presence. He makes you feel comfortable at every appointment, and doesn't make you feel stupid if you happen to ask a silly question. Dr. Pena is very thorough in his explanations and his plan for your treatment. He is always honest. My husband and I already have one beautiful son from Dr. Pena, so there was no hesitation where to go when we wanted to start trying for our second.
If you want an honest and caring fertility doctor then Dr. Pena is who you must see!
Dr. Pena is up front and honest with you about your treatment and condition. He has a great attitude and a wonderful sense of humor. He will answer any question you have at almost any time of the day. He is just as determined as you are to get the results you are looking for.
The nursing staff at Long Island IVF is amazing. They are always there to answer your questions and do whatever they can to help keep your stress level down. They understand what you are going through and want to make your treatment as smooth as possible.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
There are offices in a number of locations. Hours are convenient for working women. All staff from doctors, to nurses, to the insurance and medication coordinators are helpful and caring.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
Monitoring hours are between 7 and 8 am every day of the week.
My insurance covered all fertility treatments.
East Patchogue
He [Dr. Pena] took all of my concerns and questions seriously and never made me stupid for not knowing something. If there was a hiccup along the way, he took the time to explain what the issue was, and different options I had as a patient. Dr. Pena is also easily accessible and doesn't make you jump through hoops just to get in contact with him. He has answered many of my questions even during off hours, and it truly made me feel listened to and cared about, rather than just another number.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Dr. Joseph Pena is extremely professional and takes what he does seriously. He understands the magnitude of what couples are going through mentally and physically to achieve their dreams of becoming parents. He took all of my concerns and questions seriously and never made me stupid for not knowing something. If there was a hiccup along the way, he took the time to explain what the issue was, and different options I had as a patient. Dr. Pena is also easily accessible and doesn't make you jump through hoops just to get in contact with him. He has answered many of my questions even during off hours, and it truly made me feel listened to and cared about, rather than just another number.
Begin your journey with Dr. Pena and his staff at Long Island IVF with a positive attitude, because even if your original plan doesn't work out the way you expected, Dr. Pena will do everything in his power to figure it out with you and make your dreams of starting a family come true one way or another.
Dr Pena and his entire staff truly made us feel like family. Every staff member knew my name as soon as I walked in the door and greeted me as such. They even went out of their way to inquire about my oldest child from time to time. I never felt awkward or out of place when I had a question or concern and always felt respected and cared for.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Joanne )
The nurse I had been assigned to for my IVF cycle was absolutely amazing. She knew going into this that I had never been through anything of this nature before, and took that into consideration every time we spoke. She was extremely thorough and I had constant access to her whenever I was unsure about something. She made sure during the IVF process that she stayed grounded as to not get my hopes up too high, but she also didn't allow me to be negative either. She took a very neutral approach and from an emotional stand point, I appreciated that a lot.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
One of the clinics strengths would definitely be the friendly staff. I had never been to a doctors office in which I honestly felt like family. Every single person from the receptionist to the doctor made me feel welcome every time I walked in the door. The nature of infertility is a delicate one, and it's clear that every person who worked in that office took that to heart. Their only weakness is that they aren't open on weekends, so if you need treatment during off hours, you would have to drive into Melville for it.
2013 - 2014
He [Dr. Pena] was so good at explaining everything to me and i can tell he tailors his ways to each of his patients. I wanted to move fast and be aggressive with treatment and he knew I could handle it and I had the insurance to back it all up and he moved right along with what I wanted. He was exceptional and it was so easy to communicate with him. As smart as he is he's a great nice down to earth guy!...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
He was unbelievable, the best fertility doctor. So smart and knowledgeable and willing to answer all of my questions. He was so good at explaining everything to me and i can tell he tailors his ways to each of his patients. I wanted to move fast and be aggressive with treatment and he knew I could handle it and I had the insurance to back it all up and he moved right along with what I wanted. He was exceptional and it was so easy to communicate with him. As smart as he is he's a great nice down to earth guy!
Stick with him, he will get you pregnant. He has a great success rate and he's smart and understanding. He truly cares about his patients.
He was wonderful and answered all my questions. He took phone calls, wrote back emails, called me even if I didn't call him to check back in with me.
After all preliminary testing and blood work we did an IUI, a natural one with no drugs (something I wanted) to see how my body would work on S. Irnsl cycle. I had a chemical. Following that we did 2 more iuis both with clomid and both were negative. After 3 iuis total I told him I wanted to move on to ivf, I had the insurance that would cover it all. We did an egg retrieval and a fresh transfer of one day 5 embryo and I had a chemical. We then did another fresh cycle and transferred two fresh day 3 embryos and I had a chemical. Next we did a Third transfer, frozen this time with two day 3 embryos and I had a negative result. Lastly we did a fourth frozen transfer with two day 5 embryos which resulted in my singleton live birth. So 4 ivf transfers total.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Karen Froelich)
Karen Froelich was the best nurse I've ever had, organized compassionate, very smart and I loved working with her. Almost all the other nurses were incredible too. I probably only had one nurse in the OR who I had a problem with. Everyone else wAs fantastic.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
They are a big practice, they have nice early hours and a bunch of different locations so you can go to other offices depending on where you work, etc. all the doctors are great because you will see different ones for different preocefures. Some people don't like that but I was completely fine with it, they are all excellent. I truly loved every doctor I worked with.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
Monitoring was great if you went early you can essentially be first every time and be in and out with no wait if you get to the location of monitoring FIRST and wait in line to sign in first. As an early morning teacher st a high school I had no choice but to go in extremely early and wait in dark parking lot for them to open to make sure I would get in first. But if you want a baby and have to work super early you do what you have to do.
It was all covered by my Empire NYSHIP health insurance.
3 IUI, IVF
He [Dr. Pena] is a great listener and a good communicator. He has a great memory and he reminds of your own comments made in previous appointments and that makes you feel good. In a way it reassures you that he is listening to everything you are sharing during each visit...Whenever I had a follow up question, I would simply email him and he will always get back to me within the same day or the following day...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Even though I did not get you see Dr. Pena every time I visited the clinic, I knew I could always count on him. Whenever I had a follow up question, I would simply email him and he will always get back to me within the same day or the following day.
Ask as many questions as you need until you fully understand the process. As a new prospect, it is very common for you not to grasp the entire process in one visit. If you cannot think of all your questions during the time of your visit, ask Dr. Pena for his email address so that he can provide you with guidance via email.
he is a great listener and a good communicator. He has a great memory and he reminds of your own comments made in previous appointments and that makes you feel good. In a way it reassures you that he is listening to everything you are sharing during each visit.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Phil)
she was very patient and returned all my calls in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
They open in the very early hours of the days. This allows you to be able to get any type of treatment prior to you going to work which is a plus. Develop a relationship with the staff so that it doesn't feel like you are just another person or person "X" going through this process. It can get monotonous and they move people in and out the rooms very quickly. Take charge of your own infertility experience and develop relationships with the staff. This will help you cope better with the process, the staff gets to know you, and you will feel more comfortable every time you visit.
I don't remember, sorry.
2013 - 2014
DR Jospeh Pena was matter of fact yet had a heart of gold. He took so much tim with you whenever he saw you. If you did not see him and needed to contact him he ALWAYS contacted you back and in a timely manner...even when he was on vacation. There were moments where iIU felt low and he would encourage me. He is a scientist but yet still a caring warm hearted faithful person...
European, Latino
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Allow him to do his thing.
After seeing 3 different doctors I never felt comfortable to go through IVF with them. Dr Pena and his staff made me feel like a human for the first time after all those treatments prior. They remembered who I was everyday, called me by name whenever they saw me without looking at my files, they cried with me and laughed with me, and encouraged me and supported me every step of the way.
If I recall correctly Did Birthcontrol...Gonal - F with increased levels with blood tests. Ganirelix... trigger shot....then progesterone shots and aspirin and inserts after transfe and during beginning of pregnancy
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Mary but Joey at the office was my go to person just because I truly established an amazing relationship with her)
They were so warm hearted. Unlike the prior places the nurses new me by name and as said prior they cried with me and laughed with me...they were my cheerleader and support. I could not have done it without them.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
There really aren't any weaknesses. Only thing is you have to go to Meliville on the weekends. But there are not weaknesses. Strengths are the tsp and dr. Caring and efficient. PERIOD
it was 11,500 with a grant each time we did IVF. we paid 1200 additional for ices which was included in the 11,500. My meds were covered by the insurance except for the copays.
2010
Anovulation, Unexplained
He [Dr. Pena] explained everything to my husband and I and addressed all of our concerns. At a time when I felt lost and alone he gave me hope....he assured me that I was not responsible for my miscarriage, that I would have another baby and he was right! He laid down some hard truth for me, but I abided by his orders and the results were my beautiful son. Dr. Pena is an excellent doctor, extremely knowledgeable in his field and someone you want on your "team" when it comes to the game of fertility...
2010
Anovulation, Unexplained
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Dr Pena came into my life at a time when I was full self doubt and sadness. I had 3 years of secondary infertility and a miscarriage 6 months prior to meeting with him. He was the answer to my prayers. I immediately was drawn to how educated and articulate he was. He explained everything to my husband and I and addressed all of our concerns. At a time when I felt lost and alone he gave me hope....he assured me that I was not responsible for my miscarriage, that I would have another baby and he was right! He laid down some hard truth for me, but I abided by his orders and the results were my beautiful son. Dr. Pena is an excellent doctor, extremely knowledgeable in his field and someone you want on your "team" when it comes to the game of fertility. I highly recommend him.
Listen to what he tells you, even if it is harsh or hits a nerve.....he is telling you what you need to do to get the outcome you want. No one likes to hear what they already know deep down inside, the truth can hurt but it can also lead to your hopes and dreams.....
Dr Pena was extremely thorough with laying out our options. He articulated everything that needed to be done and all options were laid out for us in an orderly manner. We were then able to make an informed decision. Dr Pena was always available to us for any questions we had and answered them promptly and kindly. He treated me with respect and reassured me when i presented to him my fears and doubts.
Dr Pena used a clomid cycle, sonograms and an Ovidrel trigger prior to IUI. After my test came back, I was placed on Progesterone suppositories and estrogen until I was released to my OB GYN
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
The nurses and staff were just amazing! So caring, so happy for me and so accommodating and quick with call backs and fielding numerous questions
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
The clinic was great! The office was clean, organized, short wait times
My costs were approximately 2500
Anovulation, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr. Pena always explained everything well to me, and also didn't give me all the answers I wanted to here but what I had to hear. He was honest and was very good with responding to my emails or calls...I have very irregular periods, with other doctors they want to wait for me to bleed so it would be months and months of waiting. With Dr. Pena he knows time is crucial and helped me get my cycles started ASAP.
Anovulation, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena's consultations were always pleasant. He was 100% honest about what he thinks I should and should not be doing. Was always there to answer any questions I had, communicated very well via email.
Just be honest, tell him the truth, and tell him what you want. But listen to what he has to say, sometimes you may disagree but in the end it all makes sense.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lauren)
The staff was great on weekdays, problems are weekends if you had to go to Melville, main office there were so many patients. Sonograms you would have to wait a hour or so to get them, but blood works were always done ASAP.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
Bloodwork and sonograms I like to go the main office lake success, much quicker, but only downfall is it only RN and sonogram technicans there. Good thing about going to Dr. Pena's offices is he does the sonogram himself.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
Monitoring hours were fair, very early but it was ok.
During the first round of IVF with the group I had to pay some expenses. Since I had gotten a new job, it pays for all cost 90%.
Dr. Pena always wanted me to have single embryo transfer due to my young age, even though I was growing in patient he told me it was always best and the risks for multiples. I had gone through a miscarriage and till this day I thought about actually having multiples and how it would have hurt so much more.
Other, Unexplained
I found Dr. Pena to be very thorough at each appointment, covering all of the info and making time to answer any questions that my husband or I had. He was kind and made me feel comfortable with the path that was chosen such as the 2 IUIs and then the 2 IVF cycles....Dr. Pena and his staff [Long Island IVF] knew my name, welcomed me upon arrival, took the time to ask if I had any concerns and questions, called following procedures, etc...At the beginning of the IVF cycles, I was put on birth control for a few weeks. Estrace 1 tab / day for 4 days. Then 225 mg each of Follistim & menopur for 4 days which then increased to 300mg each
Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Try to remain optimistic and positive. I felt much calmer during my 2nd IVF cycle and now I'm pregnant!
Dr. Pena and his staff knew my name, welcomed me upon arrival, took the time to ask if I had any concerns and questions, called following procedures, etc.
Absolutely loved the entire team!
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
This process doesn't happen overnight so it is important to go into the cycle knowing that the steps that are taken are happening for a reason. Ask questions whenever you feel the need. Everyone was always willing to answer any questions you have or to relieve anxiety and walk you through what is happening.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
It was explained from the start what the available monitoring hours would be. I didn't wait for extended periods of time other than when the office had been closed for a holiday weekend or snow day.
The total expense for an ivf cycle, meds, pgs testing, all visits associated with cycle was $24K
I only had 1 viable embryo both ivf cycles so it was not an option but if I did have more than one, he only planned on implanting 1 at a time.
West Islip
Dr. Pena was AMAZING; so kind and thorough. He was so quick to answer questions and ease my mind always. He answered emails promptly and always made me feel comfortable. The nurse Joey was so helpful when delivering blood test results and I was ALWAYS greeted by a happy face by Peggy when I walked in the door. I grew to not mind blood work (which I've always hated) as the friendly conversation made the time fly. I am overwhelmed with gratitude to the warmth I was shown at this office and am sad to leave and continue my treatment with an OBGYN (although I am THRILLED to be pregnant!) I will be back and would refer them to ANYONE!
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
You're in the right place. Trust him and his staff.
He was compassionate, took the time to answer questions, kept in touch via emails, and responded promptly to ease my mind even when my questions were "silly"
my first cycle was clomid, ovudril, and IUI. the second was a natural cycle. we never got to the clomid. my memory is foggy but I believe it had to do with the thickness of my uterine lining an a mature folice presenting itself early and naturally. ovudril was used for this cycle as well and IUI. the last time the clomid and ovudril.. this was my positive :)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: JOEY)
AMAZING! Helpful, accessible, and always thoroughly answered my questions. My nurse was always encouraging and was so genuinely happy with me when I received my good news.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
Strengths: many locations, convenient monitoring hours Weaknesses: can't really think of any..
East Patchogue
Dr. Pena is extremely Interested in helping you extend your family and giving you the results you are hoping for. At the first appointment dr Pena explained to us the process and really got to know us as people rather then patients. He was extremely easy to talk to and made the entire process one to look forward to. After the first negative pregnancy test dr Pena adjusted the clomid and helped to get a positive pregnancy test!...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Dr Pena was great! Very knowledgeable and easy going. Makes you feel comfortable while in the office and exam room. Dr. Pena is extremely Interested in helping you extend your family and giving you the results you are hoping for. At the first appointment dr Pena explained to us the process and really got to know us as people rather then patients. He was extremely easy to talk to and made the entire process one to look forward to. After the first negative pregnancy test dr Pena adjusted the clomid and helped to get a positive pregnancy test!
Trust in him and his knowledge
He was very personable with me
We used clomid first time 1 pill 5 days prior producing 7-9 enormous follicles. Trigger shot the night before and back to back iui. Negative pregnancy test. Second Time an adjusted dose of clomid once every other day 3 days. Giving 2-3 follicles. Trigger shot and single iui with a positive pregnancy test and twins!
Absolutely love the nurses at the office. Very caring and genuinely care about how your doing through the process. Make you feel like they are more then just a doctor calling with information
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
Morning monitoring hours can be a little crowded causing big wait time
Our insurance was excellent. Some charges that came up that I wasn't aware I would have to pay.
West Islip
He [Dr. Pena] remembered personal things about us as a couple and would always get back t our calls and emails no matter what time of day, and once even when he was on vacation!...Our first consultation made us feel like we were finally moving in the right direction. We had a plan, and even did a few things ahead of what was needed in case we moved to the next step nothing would hold us back. We wouldn't have thought of any of it. Dr. Pena gets back to you right away, anytime and anywhere. I am currently 39 weeks pregnant and had a question for him and was answered back right away. I was released as his patient at 12 weeks and still have reached out for advice and received it...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Know that you are in the right place
He remembered personal things about us as a couple and would always get back t our calls and emails no matter what time of day, and once even when he was on vacation!
We ruled out all reasons for my recurrent pregnancy losses first by doing blood tests and other tests... Then we moved forward with iui once I felt like it was taking too long to get pregnant. I got pregnant on the third try and have so far had a very successful pregnancy. I was monitored the whole 12 weeks and then released to my obgyn
Amazing. Never made you feel bad for asking multiple questions multiple times a day. She encouraged them and really was compassionate.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
Staff was amazing. Prepare to wait at times, but I was able to make my appointments early enough to make it to work without a problem
Less than expected, but not sure of total. It was over a period time so costs were spread out
2013 - 2016
Every time my husband and I met with Dr. Pena he went into full detail and explained exactly what we would expect During our cycles I was happy to answer any questions that we ever had...Remain positive and know that you're in good hands. Dr. Pena and his staff guide you through the entire process with professionalism and care every step of the way
Investment Banker
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena is extremely professional and makes himself readily available with any questions, cares or concerns that either myself or my husband ever have.
Jessica and the entire staff are always more than helpful. They go above and beyond to answe any questions or concerns I had along the way. The whole process can be stressful considering the delicacy and they truly make it as stress free as possible by always being readily available, caring and willing to guide you step by step along the way in the most delicate manner.
During my first cycle with my son in 2013. Most of my procedures was covered by insurance but Not all and no medication was covered. Out-of-pocket I spent approximately $10,000 or more During my 2nd/current IVF cycle almost all of the procedure and medication was covered by my new insurance. I spent only about $1600. For the freeze of my remaining embryos and some medication co-pays
IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Dr. Pena made me feel confident that the IVF process would be successful. He appears dedicated to helping women become pregnant. I felt he was honest with me and told me what the realistic expectations were. He even has a sense of humor!... He speaks quickly so it can be difficult to understand him at times.... I feel that Dr. Pena was very thorough in his treatment of my fertility issues. He ordered the blood work and tests necessary for my situation.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
He speaks quickly so it can be difficult to understand him at times.
Dr. Pena and the staff at Long Island IVF, East Patchogue are very dedicated to helping a woman become pregnant. They were always available to answer any question. They are considerate of the concerns a woman has while going through this process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Joanna ("Joey") )
Joey was very quick to answer my questions whether it be in the office, on the phone or via email. She was supportive and explained the things I didn't understand. I am very happy she was assigned to be my nurse.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
The staff is wonderful. All the nurses, including the phlebotomist were very nice and supportive. They always took my call or answered my messages in a timely manner. The only weakness is that the reception area is relatively small and sometimes during the morning blood draws and sonograms, there were not enough seats for all the patients.
Joseph Pena
Dr. Pena was very helpful when asking questions about the process. He would always take the time to call back immediately when asking questions. No matter the time, Dr. Pena would respond promptly to answer any questions I had. He also took the time to fully explain the process to me. Dr. Pena is also honest when it comes to expectations which is greatly appreciated when experiencing this process...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena is a great doctor who is there to answer questions any time of day! He is someone who you should feel completely comfortable with when it comes to choosing a doctor to help you on your infertility journey.
I would say to ask as many questions as you feel you need to in order to understand this process. In terms of a doctor- patient relationship, he does a wonderful job of explaining things in non- medical terms which is sometimes very helpful as a patient.
I did two egg retrievals in order to bank eggs for PGS testing. Both cycles, I was comfortable as he was sure to not overstimulate which can cause an over abundance of eggs. Both rounds of injections and both retrievals went smoothly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Mary Ann)
Mary Ann was wonderful. She would respond to any questions I had promptly and was kind and compassionate as I went through this journey.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
Long Island IVF is a great clinic- but be sure to ask questions because they have a lot of patients and don't always give you the full details- so do your research and be prepared to ask questions.
Covered by insurance
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
He [Dr. Pena] has a very dry personality...BUT he is super sweet and caring once u get to know him. He called me directly... what dr. Does that just to calm me down. I could not ask for better...is very honest...was supportive in my choices. He gave me every option I could have...is a sensitive and nurturing dr. Although he gets right to the point you know he means well. He is a thorough Dr. He left nothing untouched when it came to problems. I was seeing another dr. For a year and a half and Dr. Pena was the 1st one to say the words fibroid or pcos. I am grateful for his help.
European, Other
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena is a sensitive and nurturing dr. Although he gets right to the point you know he means well. He is a thorough Dr. He left nothing untouched when it came to problems. I was seeing another dr. For a year and a half and Dr. Pena was the 1st one to say the words fibroid or pcos. I am grateful for his help.
He has a very dry personality lol. BUT he is super sweet and caring once u get to know him. He called me directly... what dr. Does that just to calm me down. I could not ask for better.
Dr.Pena is very honest. He called me directly when I had questions and was supportive in my choices. He gave me every option I could have.
They answered every question and returned every call no matter how small. They know you are already upset so they are very compassionate.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
The hours are a little hard. They close by 3 so if u work u have to take a day off. Blood work is only dont for 45min in the morning so that gets a little hard as well. 7-745 is rough lol. If they were there until 9 it would give us a better window.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
From the very beginning, through negative tests, chemical pregnancy and a miscarriage, he [Dr. Joseph Pena] always remained hopeful yet without giving false hope is that makes sense. He knew what to say and how to say it. He is compassionate and forthright, I trusted him every step of the way...He made a point to speak to you as a human being and not just another patient...Trust him, ask questions and take notes. The information is very overwhelming to take away and if you keep notes, it will benefit you when you get home.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
From the very beginning, through negative tests, chemical pregnancy and a miscarriage, he always remained hopeful yet without giving false hope is that makes sense. He knew what to say and how to say it. He is compassionate and forthright, I trusted him every step of the way.
He made a point to speak to you as a human being and not just another patient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jess Castro)
Jess, Erika, Midge and everyone in the West Islip office goes above and beyond for their patients. They communicate well and are always willing to help in any way possible.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
The staff and Dr. Pena are wonderful, thorough and reliable. However, always be prepared to wait in the morning or monitoring hours, try to get there first thing in the morning. You always leave the office feeling cared for and important to them.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
It would become a bit overcrowded time to time. Personally I had to sneak out of work to get there but I understand for moat people the hours are excellent. Overall, I have no complaints.
I only had some co-pays here and there.
He did not which I appreciate because my husband and I were only wanting to transfer one at a time and we never felt pressure otherwise.
West Islip
Dr. Pena has been doing this for a long time and it shows! He is very knowledgeable and confident. He explains things to you and keeps you focused on the next steps. He tries to build a good relationship with you and it's nice to be able to ask questions. It's an uncomfortable process and he makes it almost "normal" so it's not nearly as uncomfortable as it would be if you didn't have a doctor like Dr. Pena!...Dr. Pena will do his best to answer anything he can.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Ask questions and be proactive! Dr. Pena will do his best to answer anything he can.
Everytime I go into the office, the staff is welcoming and know your name. It builds an environment of trust in what can be a very uncomfortable and unpredictable life event.
Joey was my nurse at the Patchogue office. She is super sweet and understanding!
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
Their strengths are how sweet and caring they are. They treat you like a person and that your situation is unique. They are all your cheerleaders through the whole process!
I apparently have good insurance so everything went smoothly as far as th2r cost related to everything.
Dr. Pena believes only to do a single embryo transfer if you are under 35. That is what he recommended for IVF if you had to go that route.
3 IUI, IVF
He's [Dr. Pena] very knowledgable and accessible. He answered all my questions in depth and promptly answered emails and returned phone calls. He's a wonderful doctor...Be prepared to be seen by many PA/NP along the way. You may not see the doctor very often...They always take time to get to know us and answer any questions we have along the way. They are all very accessible...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
He's very knowledgable and accessible. He answered all my questions in depth and promptly answered emails and returned phone calls. He's a wonderful doctor.
I don't remember the specifics but I remember dosages being altered along the way depending on my hormone levels.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sharon Hoey)
Sharon is the absolute best. She's knowledgable, compassionate and understanding. She helps you along the whole journey, physically, mentally and emotionally. She's wonderful.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
They run a well oiled practice. There are 2 only weaknesses. One is that you don't always see the same doctor. The second is the lack of services and tests performed at some of the satellite offices. I often go to Stony Brook since it's close to my house and on my way to work, but many of the tests and procedures are not performed there.
I don't remember
2013 - 2016
Dr Pena has always made such a worrisome, stressful situation feel completely normal and stress free. His calm demeanor is extremely comforting and felt throughout his office. He lets you know he is there for any questions or issues that may come up and he personally answers you...Dr Pena listens and hears what you and your family would like to do...Dr Pena and his team work with the insurance companies and I have no issues or concerns with any billing. They took care of everything...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Dr Pena has always made such a worrisome, stressful situation feel completely normal and stress free. His calm demeanor is extremely comforting and felt throughout his office. He lets you know he is there for any questions or issues that may come up and he personally answers you. I would highly recommend dr Pena and his office to anyone!
As a returning patient of Dr. Pena's and his staffs they have never made me feel like just a number. Dr Pena and his staff immediately personalized my consultation and first exam as if I had never left!
Dr Pena listens and hears what you and your family would like to do and we did Clomid ( for a few cycles) until we got our beautiful daughter!
Dr Pena's nursing staff is always thorough, kind, informative and compassionate
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
This office is extremely flexible to the working family and allows for you to go thru the process of making your family while still being able to support them!
West Islip
Dr Pena really treated me like an individual and not just any patient. The office staff were helpful, and the nurse was always available to answer my questions after hours...I was closely monitored by the doctor and brought back a number of times to watch my hormone levels. He didn't just look at a calendar and estimate fertility days...Dr. Pena reviewed all my files sent over from a previous fertility doctor and used that information to form a plan. He followed my hormone levels closely to make my treatment more individualized. After 2 cycles, we found out that we were pregnant with twins...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Nothing that I can think of
The nurse in the West Islip office was always there to answer my questions after hours.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
Weekly monitoring appointment required you to be there first thing or else you may have many people in front of you and a long wait ahead.
All visits were covered by insurance but had a negotiated rate associated with them that I had to pay with a benefits card. I ran out of money on this card during the treatment, mostly due to the other fertility doctor that I had previously seen.
2010 - 2012
He [Dr. Pena] greets you with a warm smile and positive energy. He's intelligent and knowledgeable in his field. He presented us with direct advice and was open about the probability of success throughout. We've kept in touch through the years since because he clearly cares about his patients and considers your family a blessing that he was able to help bring to you...
2010 - 2012
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
He greets you with a warm smile and positive energy. He's intelligent and knowledgeable in his field. He presented us with direct advice and was open about the probability of success throughout. We've kept in touch through the years since because he clearly cares about his patients and considers your family a blessing that he was able to help bring to you.
Be open and honest. He'll understand and won't judge.
He treated us like friends.
We did the thing that makes you produce more eggs, retrieved them, fertilized them (I had to get a semen analysis to be sure things were fine on my end), and then the IUI. He preferred to wait as long as possible to see which eggs were most viable and we were successful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Don't remember but my wife liked her.)
Very professional and didn't make you feel bad for being there.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
Get there early or bring something to read. It fills up with all the blood testing. Also, avoid the Christmas holiday time because they set that time to recalibrate the lab so it's shut down for a little while.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
Kinda sucked but it's because there were so many patients. *It should be noted that we rarely used West Islip for monitoring. It was almost always at their other location.
Minimal. We have great health insurance and only had to pay copays.
West Islip
He took into account my medical history and available donor vials to devise a plan that would provide the best possible outcome....He spent time evaluating my condition and explaining all available options...He has great bedside manner and is very thorough. He explained all potential risks and options available. He reviewed my medical history and detailed my plan. I feel very comfortable with his care. I would highly recommend him to anyone.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
He is fantastic and to definitely make an appt
He spent time evaluating my condition and explaining all available options
Jessica is amazing. She is thorougg, compassionate and gets it done
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
The facility is great. Someone always answers the phone. There is no call center! Everyone is friendly and efficient. Questions get answered in a timely fashion. The only thing was if they had longer hours/weekend.
Copay and transfer fees
West Islip
Dr. Pena treated me with great respect. He answered all my questions and never turned me away....My husband and I were very happy with Dr. Pena. We could not have asked for a better doctor. We will personally recommend Dr. Pena to everyone that is looking for a fertility doctor. He made our dreams come true....[new patients] have nothing to worry about because Dr. Pena will answer every single question that they have in full detail....
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
That they have nothing to worry about because Dr. Pena will answer every single question that they have in full detail.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Castro )
My nurse was very helpful and answered all my emails and phone calls in a timely matter.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
I personally think that a new patient should be informed that if they have to be seen by a doctor/sonogram tech on the weekends, to go to the Melville office before they open. I personally think another office should be open on the weekends.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
The monitoring hours worked well for me and my schedule.
My insurance covered all of my procedures. I just had to pay a copay for my medication.
Dr. Pena educated both my husband and I on the number of embryos that we transferred during each IVF cycle that we did.
East Patchogue
I think Dr. Pena is a good dr and he knows what he's doing. He helped achieve the result We wanted.although I did not see him as much if and when I needed to reach him his response was quick and helpful...I felt like a human because he and his staff took the time to talk to me and understand our situation...I felt like a human because he [Dr. Joseph Pena] and his staff [at Long Island IVF - East Patchogue] took the time to talk to me and understand our situation...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Depending on there situation I would tell them things that could help achieve there goal. Meaning things they could take to help or stop doing things that might hurt them.
I had to take clomid for 5 days during my menstrual cycle and a shot of ovidrel when ovulation was taking place. These medications were used to help me ovulate and possibly release one or more eggs
Very nice and very friendly. They showed compassion and helped me stay postive
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
The clinic was all around very helpful and on target with all procedures and follow care
My insurance covered a lot of my expenses
East Patchogue
AS PATIENTS MY WIFE AND I WERE VERY SATISFIED WITH THE RESULTS THAT WE HAVE RECIEVED WITH DR PENA. WE FELT VERY COMFORTABLE WITH HIM AND HE HAS BEEN VERY PATIENT AND HAS BEEN ABLE TO HAVE THE ANSWERS TO ALL OF OUR QUESTIONS. LASTLY I WOULD LIKE TO ADD THAT DR PENA HAS BEEN VERY DEPENDABLE THROUGHT OUR PROCESS...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
MY WIFE AND I HAVE FELT LIKE HUMANS DURING OUR VISITS TO DR PENA'S OFFICE DUE TO OUR HIGH LEVEL OF CLOSE ATTENTION BY THE STAFF AS WELL AS DR PENA
DR PENA RECOMENDED THAT WE DID A GENETIC SCREENING BEFORE OUR CYCLE TO GET AN IDEA IF THERE WERE ANY POTENTIAL THINGS THAT WE SHOULD KNOW BEFORE STARTING WHICH CAN BE HELPFUL IN IDENTIFYING ANY POSSIBLE ISSUES
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: JESSICA)
JESSICA AT THE WEST ISLIP OFFICE WAS EXTREMLY CARING AND HELPFUL
THE CLINICS WERE ALL VERY CONVIENTLY LOCATED AROUND SUFFOLK COUNTY
THE HOME ADMINISTERED SHOTS CAME TO ABOUT 150$ PLUS COPAYS FOR VISITS AND APART FROM THAT INSURANCE WAS ABLE TO COVER THE REST
West Islip
He [Dr. Pena] was very caring and always accessible always answered you questions and made sure you left with a clear understanding i knew I could reach him at any time via email very nice and informative guy when I decide to have another child I will definitely use him and his crew...He was caring very specific and precise always made sure you left with a clear understanding and if you had any questions when you left he could have been reached through email...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
He was very caring and always accessible always answered you questions and made sure you left with a clear understanding i knew I could reach him at any time via email very nice and informative guy when I decide to have another child I will definitely use him and his crew
Nothing they are excellent
Chlomid folic acid and anything else was specified
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Diane and joey )
Always called when she said she would very informative
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
They are clean and Peggy who works at the front desk is wonderful she knows you by name they are welcoming and very polite it's almost as if your not at a doctors office very relaxing and your in and out
They weren't expensive
East Patchogue
Dr Pena has a wonderful bedside manner. He does not rush, takes the time to explain things thoroughly and answer any questions I had. If anything came up that I was unsure of I could email him at any time and he responded...He helped me and my husband get pregnant. We had been trying for over a year . He was very honest and caring, answered all of our questions. He is very involved in the care of his patients...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
To relax, Dr Pena and his team know what they are doing. You just have to be patient and trust the process.
I was on 2 different injectables, I am not sure of the name that increased the amount of follicles but the dose was 300mg daily.
The nursing staff was all very friendly and helpful.
Luckily enough IVF is covered under my husbands insurance. I had to pay my co-payment on days of ultrasounds.
East Patchogue
Through this challenging journey, I felt such overwhelming relief from as early as my first visit with Dr. Pena. He was very informative, realistic, and personable...The office was very personable, very much like a relationship has been developed over the course of treatment. Very pleasant experience...First we determined if my tubes were open. Then we proceeded with IUI which involved 50 MG clomid, and Ovidril the night before IUI. I had Insemination on 6/23/16 and a second one on 6/24/16, then to my surprise a positive Beta on 7/7/16...
Keep doing what you do!
The staff are great! They put a smile on your face every morning.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
The clinic is very personable, and honest. Expect to be there about 20-30 minutes for morning monitoring, sometimes much quicker.
$500 insurance deductible that I had not yet met then $20 copays for Sonograms
East Patchogue
Dr. Peña answered all of our questions and explained in detail all of the options available to us. After our third cycle (second IUI) with Dr. Peña, we are pregnant. Since learning we are pregnant we have weekly appointments and sonograms with Dr. Peña. My husband and I are grateful for his patience in answering our questions and for helping us to get pregnant...Short wait times to see the doctor. Everytime I sent an email with a question, I get a reply within 90 minutes.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
After our initial appointment with Dr. Peña, my husband and I felt hopeful that we would have success in getting pregnant. Dr. Peña answered all of our questions and explained in detail all of the options available to us. After our third cycle (second IUI) with Dr. Peña, we are pregnant. Since learning we are pregnant we have weekly appointments and sonograms with Dr. Peña. My husband and I are grateful for his patience in answering our questions and for helping us to get pregnant. I would recommend Dr. Peña to anyone!!
2 cycle of clomid. After not feeling that this was the best medication for me (due to adverse side effects), I used Letrozole for 1 cycle. A week after my IUI I began Endrometrin (progesterone suppositories)
The women that work with Dr. Peña are amazing. They are patient, answer questions, and always make my experience in the office pleasant.
West Islip
Dr. Joseph Pena made my husband and I feel extremely comfortable since the moment we first met with him. He was very thorough in explaining every step and detail for the process....As a patient I was completely satisfied with Dr. Pena. He makes you feel comfortable every step of the way. He always answered any questions I had and responded to my e-mails immediately. I am extremely grateful for his help in becoming pregnant...ask any questions you may have, he will answer respectfully.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
ask any questions you may have, he will answer respectfully.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: jessica)
The nursing staff at Long Island IVF are one of a kind. Peggy is the best there is along with Joey and Diane. Peggy makes you laugh and always keeps you positive. Diane is another angel. She always took my blood and never had a problem. Her personality is amazing. Joey is also very helpful with anything you may need.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
great office. Clean, professional, and friendly
my insurance coverage covered 75%
East Patchogue
Dr. Pena is an experienced, compassionate and knowledgable Physician who went above and beyond to make sure I felt comfortable, had all of the information necessary to make appropriate informed decisions about treatment and led me down the right path towards the best possible outcome...At every appointment I was greeted with warmth and compassion. He and the staff went out of their way to get to know me and encouraged me throughout the process...
Trust the process.
Clomid was prescribed for the three IUI cycles. The IVF pre-retrieval medications were both injectable and pill form. After the retreival and after insemination I was on injectable and pill medication for approximately two-three weeks after the positive result and was slowly tapered off.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
The staff are both encouraging and engaging. They want you to succeed and with their support you will reach your goal.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
The experience overall was very efficient.
Routine copays, $500 co-insurance and approx $1500. for the ICSI Procedure
2013 - 2015
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Pena was kind, compassionate, and took his time with us. I never felt rushed and always had my questions answered. Dr. Pena was always a phone call or an email away and I never felt that my questions were perceived as silly or unimportant. I felt that Dr. Pena took my situation as seriously as I did. I can't thank him enough for helping us to have our little miracle!...
2013 - 2015
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Be open and honest. Ask questions and strive to understand. You are the only person who knows your body. So make sure you understand what is going on with it. Dr. Pena will explain everything completely and easily.
Dr. Pena and his staff never had to ask me the same question twice. They knew me, my situation, and everything I had been through.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Joanne)
The nurses become your friends! They are there to help you and guide you and keep you sane!
Dr. Pena is affiliated as a Center of Excellence. My insurance covered all costs until I was pregnant.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Very thorough, honest, descriptive of procedures and knowledgeable. Dr. Pena will always caution on the side of safety for both patient and future baby/babies. He is always available either in person by phone or email and always a quick response time....Very personable... More communication amongst each other [at Long Island IVF East Patchogue] so that patients do less leg work...We did Three IUIs and one IVF treatment.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Be patient and persistent
Very personable
We did Three IUIs and one IVF treatment.
Nursing staff was great
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
Everything is great! They could work on their appointment times since there is always a wait. Otherwise they are always available to answer questions via phone or email. More communication amongst each other so that patients do less leg work
Covered by insurance, but medication costs and deductibles were due ahead of procesures
East Patchogue
Dr Pena was so compassionate and caring about his care. He said from the beginning we were going to make a baby and that is exactly what he did. He really concentrated on my case and made our dreams come true! He was great with giving us current statistics and chances...
European, East Asian
Never give up
The first cycle of IVF we did half ICSI and half natural fertilization, come to find out after that ICSI was the only fertilization that worked. Second round of IVF we did all ICSI in which helped us get to a successful pregnancy
Describe your experience with your nurse at Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jessica RN)
Jessica was AMAZING! She was always on top of everything and there when you needed her or questions
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
The clinic was great, very friendly and clean
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
It was easy and not a very long wait
5,000-10,000
We did single embryo transfer
6 IUI, IVF, Surrogacy
Very happy with him [Dr. Joseph Pena] ! i already referred a friend to him. He is very caring. I tend to ask a lot of questions and it never seems to bother him. I will email him and i always hear back within the hour. He is very smart and knowledgeable with he fertility process and cant thank him enough for all he has done for me and my husband.
6 IUI, IVF, Surrogacy
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Very happy with him! i already referred a friend to him. He is very caring. I tend to ask a lot of questions and it never seems to bother him. I will email him and i always hear back within the hour. He is very smart and knowledgeable with he fertility process and cant thank him enough for all he has done for me and my husband.
just continue to be as detailed as you can be
amazing serivce! always gets right back to you and takes the time to explain everything to you
She really was the best! always there for me and very understanding.
staff is very friendly
none insurance covered it all
he approached everything the right way according to my age
East Patchogue
He [Dr. Pena] took the time and was very proactive and thorough helping my body hold a pregnancy once I ended up pregnant. Thanks to him I feel he's the reason why I made it this far into my current pregnancy. He is being proactive and taking every measure possible to make sure he is doing everything in his ability for this to be a successful pregnancy for me...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
He took the time and was very proactive and thorough helping my body hold a pregnancy once I ended up pregnant. Thanks to him I feel he's the reason why I made it this far into my current pregnancy. He is being proactive and taking every measure possible to make sure he is doing everything in his ability for this to be a successful pregnancy for me.
To trust him and that he has your best interests at hand.
He took the time to explain things to us and had a great bedside manner.
The loved dealing with Jessica and staff every time visiting the office. They were always so friendly and positive. You always walked out feeling like you can do this.
Insurance covered mostly everything besides copays
West Islip
Dr Pena was very informative and kind. We had a wonderful experience...Listen to everything the doctor and nurses tell you...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at Long Island IVF?
Dr Pena was very informative and understanding. We had a great experience and I am currently going on 8 weeks pregnant
Listen to everything the doctor and nurses tell you.
Dr Pena was very informative and kind. We had a wonderful experience.
The staff was wonderful as well as my nurse Joey who made sure all Of my medications were called in and coordinated everything for me.
Describe your experience with Long Island IVF.
They walk you through everything. I was always able to get fast appointments.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Long Island IVF.
They were quick and easy. I was always on time for work.
+30k