7.3

West Islip
500 Montauk Hwy
West Islip, NY 11795

2021, Unknown Success
I expected there to be one go-to person (i.e. Dr. Pena) to go over my treatment plan with me based on my unique situation (bloodwork, semen analysis, age, etc.). That doesn’t really happen...I did email Dr. Pena a couple times with questions and he seemed annoyed. All that being said, he is clearly a knowledgeable doctor and I did end up getting pregnant. It just wasn't really a positive experience.
RMA’s business model is very impersonal, i.e. you are just a number...almost no interaction with Dr. Pena between my initial consult and my pregnancy test five months later. Another doctor did my egg retrieval and then a third one did my transfer. Saw a host of nurses, PAs, phlebotomists, and technicians in between. Everyone was very nice but I don’t think a single person (including the doctor) even knew my name.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF)?
I expected there to be one go-to person (i.e. Dr. Pena) to go over my treatment plan with me based on my unique situation (bloodwork, semen analysis, age, etc.). That doesn’t really happen. It’s up to you to choose IUI vs. IVF, etc. and then you’re just pushed through the machine. No one really explains anything to you, i.e. it’s up to you to follow up on bloodwork, ask questions, and figure out next steps. I did email Dr. Pena a couple times with questions and he seemed annoyed. All that being said, he is clearly a knowledgeable doctor and I did end up getting pregnant. It just wasn't really a positive experience.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF)?
Be proactive.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF)?
Describe the protocols Joseph Pena used in your cycles at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF) and their degree of success.
150IU Gonal-F and 150IU Menopur for the first 7 days. Added 0.25 Cetrotide starting day 8. Triggered with Lupron and Novarel on day 11. Retrieval day 13.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jess and Alexis)
The nursing staff and IVF coordinator did all the heavy lifting when it comes to patient care/interaction. Give them a raise!
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
RMA’s business model is very impersonal, i.e. you are just a number. I had almost no interaction with Dr. Pena between my initial consult and my pregnancy test five months later. Another doctor did my egg retrieval and then a third one did my transfer. Saw a host of nurses, PAs, phlebotomists, and technicians in between. Everyone was very nice but I don’t think a single person (including the doctor) even knew my name. - I expected there to be one go-to person (i.e. Dr. Pena) to go over my treatment plan with me based on my unique situation (bloodwork, semen analysis, age, etc.). That doesn’t really happen. It’s up to you to choose IUI vs. IVF, etc. and then you’re just pushed through the machine. No one really explains anything to you, i.e. it’s up to you to follow up on bloodwork, ask questions, and figure out next steps.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The Melville location was very smooth and well-run. Patchogue was always packed. They did their best but it's a very small office.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
IVF cycle: around $16K Meds: around $5K but mostly covered by insurance Anesthesia: $600 PGT testing: $1.5K plus extra per $150 embryo
Describe Joseph Pena's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
I wanted to transfer only one embryo and didn't get any pushback on this.
What specific things went wrong at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Front desk forgot to schedule my water sono. Otherwise, scheduling was pretty smooth.
East Patchogue

Dr. Pena always takes the time to answer any question that you have timely and is very responsive...He explained to me once when asked if I should transfer two embryos for the next round (after my first two single embryo transfers failed) that his goal was to have a healthy pregnancy for me, not to just get pregnant. Considering my age at the time was less than 35, transferring a single embryo would be a better option.
the nurses that I worked with [at RMA Long Island IVF], Jessica and Alexis, always took the time to explain the exact steps that I needed to take and the amount of dosage each day. This really made the process less overwhelming for me...Morning monitoring hours were run very efficiently. I was able to go to their office that was closest to my home/work...The receptionists and admin team that I worked with were always responsive and helpful with any scheduling or billing questions that I had. At times there were long wait times, mostly when I set up my first consultation and initial scans
My husband and I met Dr. Pena when we decided to pursue IVF after being diagnosed with a chromosome translocation. We met with him during our first consultation to discuss the options related to chromosome translocations. I had several procedures done with him including an egg retrieval, three transfers, and an ERA test. Through each procedure, Dr. Pena always explained the steps of each procedure and what I could expect. He was always honest with us in the results that we could expect. I would highly recommend Dr. Pena and we are glad we chose RMA Long Island IVF.
Ask a lot of questions during your fertility treatment if you have them, as Dr. Pena always takes the time to answer any question that you have timely and is very responsive.
Throughout my time here as a patient, Dr. Pena, the nurses, and the administrative staff, have been nothing but professional, kind, and welcoming. They always kept positive and provided encouragement through the ups and downs. They truly know how to put the patient first and were so responsive with any questions that we had for them.
Successful Transfer: 1.5 cc's progesterone in oil Estradiol taken 3x a day Endometrin taken 3x a day starting day after transfer
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jessica and Alexis)
Fertility treatment and the number of medications and dosages that you need to take can be complicated. However, the nurses that I worked with, Jessica and Alexis, always took the time to explain the exact steps that I needed to take and the amount of dosage each day. This really made the process less overwhelming for me. If I had a question and called the office, I always received a call or an email back timely. After receiving bloodwork during morning monitoring hours, I always received a call with my results that afternoon on the same day.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
RMA Long Island IVF has multiple offices on Long Island that you can go to. For example Dr. Pena's main office was East Patchogue. However, I often went to the West Islip or Melville offices for monitoring as they were closer to where I lived. Morning monitoring was always quick and efficient and I never waited long to be seen. The receptionists and admin team that I worked with were always responsive and helpful with any scheduling or billing questions that I had. At times there were long wait times, mostly when I set up my first consultation and initial scans prior to my egg retrieval but they always went in order of when the patient arrived. Facilities were clean and safe even during COVID 19. I never felt at risk of contracting COVID 19 while attending their facilities.
Morning monitoring hours were run very efficiently. I was able to go to their office that was closest to my home/work which made it very accomodating. I never waited long to be seen and patients were called in the order they arrived. During COVID, appointment times were given to handle capacity issues. I was very happy with morning monitoring appointments.
My insurance covered most of my treatment costs. I found the treatment costs to be reasonable/inline with other clinics.
Dr. Pena had a strong perference transfering one embryo at a time. Age was factored into his preference. He explained to me once when asked if I should transfer two embryos for the next round (after my first two single embryo transfers failed) that his goal was to have a healthy pregnancy for me, not to just get pregnant. Considering my age at the time was less than 35, transferring a single embryo would be a better option.
East Patchogue

Dr Pena was always very quick to respond to any questions regardless of how late he was contacted. He was compassionate on all interactions. He called during his vacation when my results came back to make sure I received them because he knew I was worried about the result. I felt very closely monitored and felt like he took the time to look at me as an individual and make modifications during the cycle.
[the RMA Long Island IVF nurses] were always thorough with instructions as well. When my local pharmacy didn’t have my rhogam shot, they both called around to multiple pharmacies to help me get it sooner without me asking just to make sure I got it that day...I would tell a new patient that sonograms were done by sonogram techs, nurses, or a doctor so sometimes you needed to wait until your call later that day to get all your questions answered but you always heard back the same day.
Dr Pena was very thorough and always put my health and safety first. I was very closely monitored during every cycle. He was always available for questions regardless of the day or hour. He always took the time to make sure all my questions were answered. He was always compassionate and caring. He was easy to approach and ask questions to.
Dr Pena puts safety first, he makes sure you are very closely monitored throughout the process. I would say to make sure you reach out with any questions because he is always more than happy to make sure you understand each step of the process.
On my IUI cycles I was on letrazole and then I was given a trigger shot. On my second IUI I was slower to respond and Dr Pena increased my letrazole dose. On my first egg retrieval cycle I was on gonal-f and one vial of menopur and as the cycle progressed my menopur was increased to two vials and my gonal-f was decreased. As the cycle progressed cetrotide was added in. Then I did trigger shots of pregnyl and Luprolide. On my next two retrievals I started taking metformin a few weeks prior to my injections. This time I was on 3 vials of menopur and no gonal-f. Then the rest of the protocol of cetrotide and triggers occurred. The only difference between my last 2 retrievals was that a few days into it my bloodwork showed high estrogen levels and my menopur was decreased and I started cetrotide a few days earlier. For transfers I started by taking 2 pills orally of estrace, after a few days that increased to 1 pill taken 3x a day. Then progesterone in oil was added. After my transfers those continued and endometrin 3x a day was added.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jessica Castro and Alexis Rogers )
Jessica and Alexis were so easy to talk to and always took the time to answer any questions. They were kind, compassionate, and very knowledgeable. They were always thorough with instructions as well. When my local pharmacy didn’t have my rhogam shot, they both called around to multiple pharmacies to help me get it sooner without me asking just to make sure I got it that day (even though I had 72 hours)
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
It was very easy to get in touch with the office and call backs always occurred the same day. Sometimes wait times were long for monitoring. I would tell a new patient that sonograms were done by sonogram techs, nurses, or a doctor so sometimes you needed to wait until your call later that day to get all your questions answered but you always heard back the same day.
Monitoring was run pretty smoothly. On most days I was out in under 45 minutes when I had bloodwork and a sonogram. On some days it was very crowded. It was organized and not overwhelming. Everyone was friendly and I never felt rushed.
We paid for PGT testing and once pregnant I had $25 copays, the rest was covered by my insurance.
Dr Pena mentioned transferring one because it is the safest and poses the least risk to myself and the baby being transferred. He did mention if there were a few failed transfers we could discuss transferring 2.
East Patchogue

Dr. Pena is very easy to talk to and presents information very clearly...Because I have PCOS Dr. Pena was very careful to develop a protocol that would develop quality eggs while minimizing the risk of OHSS. He started me on a low dose of medications and adjusted my trigger shot (lupron instead of hcg) and timing of my retrieval in order to maximize our outcome while minimizing potential risk. He explained this entire rationale and we ended up with the results he planned for.
The entire staff [at RMA Long Island IVF] was wonderful. Jess and Alexis are both extremely knowledgable and so supportive during the difficult parts of IVF...The office manager, Peggy was always incredibly helpful and was always a friendly face and another source of support throughout this journey. I have never experienced medical care where I truly felt so strongly about how wonderful the entire staff was as I do here.
Dr. Pena is an exceptional physician. He is very professional and provided information in a way that easy to understand. He is always available by phone and email. There were many times I have emailed Dr. Pena and received a phone call shortly after. He never made me feel like my many questions were too much and I never ended a conversation with Dr. Pena unclear on any information. I appreciate his direct manner and ability to convey difficult information in a very matter of fact yet sensitive way. Most importantly, Dr. Pena is incredible at what he does. There were many times in our journey where it would have been easy to lose hope but I truly trusted Dr. Pena and his process. I am fortunate enough to be pregnant now and it is a direct result of the care I received from Dr. Pena.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. Dr. Pena is very easy to talk to and presents information very clearly.
Dr. Pena is a wonderful physician and treats every patient like they are his top priority. I have sent many emails to Dr. Pena, to which he responded to via phone almost immediately-even while he was on vacation. He explains everything thoroughly and takes every questioned asked seriously, making the patient feel respected. Dr. Pena made the entire process feel like a partnership, always providing all of the information and medical background, while still including the patient in decisions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jess and Alexis )
The entire staff was wonderful. Jess and Alexis are both extremely knowledgable and so supportive during the difficult parts of IVF. They were both always available by phone or email and presented information very clearly. They were always careful to be direct, yet warm, which was much appreciated. I felt very fortunate to have such a strong team around me throughout my treatment. I always felt like I was in good hands with both nurses and I am very thankful for not only their medical care, but also for their support.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The entire clinic is a well oiled machine. The med techs are all great and become part of your journey. I need to lie down for blood work and I was never made to feel like I was inconveniencing anyone despite a busy practice. The office manager, Peggy was always incredibly helpful and was always a friendly face and another source of support throughout this journey. I have never experienced medical care where I truly felt so strongly about how wonderful the entire staff was as I do here.

2022, Successful
Dr. Peña is a knowledgeable, patient and compassionate provider. He is always readily available to answer any questions his patients may have. His compassion is apparent from the moment you walk into the office. My family can not thank him and his staff enough for the miracle he has assisted with. Highly recommend...Come with questions. Dr. Peña will present you with plenty of options but having some background knowledge will make the initial consultation not so overwhelming.
they have multiple [RMA Long Island IVF] offices for patients that live and work around the island. One weakness is staffing. From what I gathered waiting on the waiting room, sounded like on multiple occasions the phlebotomist or ultrasound tech were not appropriately scheduled which let to increased wait times...Jessica, Dr. Peña’s nurse and Alexis the NP were both wonderful assets to the team. They were knowledgeable and compassionate. They called regularly to update my status and returned my phone calls promptly.
Dr. Peña approaches his patients with compassion and dignity. He lays out all available treatment options and explains the probability of success with each option. He is always available to answer questions. He mild manner makes him easily approachable.
Multiple injections for egg retrieval. Then birth control. Then after transfer, estradiol TID, vaginal suppositories TID and 1cc progesterone injections QD
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jessica )
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Wonder that they have multiple offices for patients that live and work around the island. One weakness is staffing. From what I gathered waiting on the waiting room, sounded like on multiple occasions the phlebotomist or ultrasound tech were not appropriately scheduled which let to increased wait times.
Mostly covered under insurance however we did pay out of pocket for genetic testing.
Dr. Peña was adamant about single egg transfers. He said given my age and diagnosis it was the best approach and I trusted his medical opinion

2022, Successful
Dr. Pena was excellent at explaining my treatments and options as well as comforting me throughout the process. He had great bedside manner and made me feel comfortable each visit. His knowledge was always transferred to me and his guidance was always given if I had any questions...I was explained my personalized treatment every time. He was matter of fact while comforting and knew my circumstances each time...
From the phlebotomists to the nurses the staff [at RMA Long Island IVF] was amazing. Alexis walked me through every procedure step by step and was ready and willing to answer my millions of questions that I had. Rosie took my blood every morning (most of which before the 7am hour.) She was always so cheerful and made my mornings spent there joyful...Organized, timely and communicative. They always will do what’s best for each individual and will walk you through your procedures one step at a time...
Listen to what Dr Peña’s guidance is. Always ask questions if you are unsure of a procedure and create open communication. He has your best interest at heart and you want to be involved in it as much as possible.
We did 3 IUI cycles first. This was because it was a less invasive approach to my unexplained infertility. Once they were unsuccessful he suggested we do IVF since at my age of 34 at the time and my condition the iui’s were only 10% chance of being successful and after the 3rd one, chances decline. IVF on the other hand, he explained would have a 40% chance of being successful. We started the IVF cycle with all of the injections. Since my body responded well to the medications, many follicles were produced. Before the retrieval, he called me directly and discussed that since I was so stimulated during this process, we should hold off on a fresh transfer and do a frozen transfer which would give me body time to recover and not risk ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. I did my retrieval and there were 33 eggs retrieved, 11 that were made into usable embryos. We froze them and waited one cycle in between before the transfer. My transfer was done on 9/7/22 and I am now 7 weeks pregnant. His rationale and guidance was key.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Alexis )
From the phlebotomists to the nurses the staff was amazing. Alexis walked me through every procedure step by step and was ready and willing to answer my millions of questions that I had. Rosie took my blood every morning (most of which before the 7am hour.) She was always so cheerful and made my mornings spent there joyful. I am so thankful to have had them work on my case.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Organized, timely and communicative. They always will do what’s best for each individual and will walk you through your procedures one step at a time. They are extremely comforting and more than anything, knowledgeable at their specialty.

2019 - 2022, Successful
Dr. Pena is very good at establishing a plan that will work for his patients. He is not afraid to adjust the plan as needed. He is very real and to the point. It was very easy to get in touch with him and he answered every question I had...is more realistic than warm and fuzzy, but he is very good at what he does... I felt like my treatment was specific to me and my condition and adjusted as needed...
They [nurses at RMA Long Island IVF] all gave clear instructions and were available whenever I had questions. They were extremely kind and understanding...They called with information and instructions when they said they would, but I was also able to call and follow up when I needed to. They are like a well oiled machine! Everyone knows their job and they do it well...
Dr. Pena is more realistic than warm and fuzzy, but he is very good at what he does. He truly cares about his paitients. Trust the process.
I didn't feel like I was treated generically. I felt like my treatment was specific to me and my condition and adjusted as needed.
For my first experience with Dr. Pena (2019), after completing genetic testing, water Sonos, sperm analysis and other standard tests, he started me on progesterone because I wasn't getting my cycle naturally. Then, I was given a low dose of Letrozole because I have PCOS. Unfortunately it didn't result in a follicle. The following month, Dr. Pena increased the dosage of Letrozole which resulted in 2 follicles. After being closely monitored multiple times a week. I completed a cycle of IUI, which resulted in having a baby boy! For my second experience with Dr. Pena (end of 2021-beginning of 2022) , we started with some of the same standard testing. Dr. Pena started me on the same plan as last time since it was successful. I again started Letrozole. I was monitored regularly again with bloodwork and sonos. I had 1 follicle. We did one round of IUI which resulted in a negative pregnancy test. We tried again the following month, following the same procedure. I had two follicles. I did a round of IUI and I am currently pregnant with boy and girl twins!
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Alexis and Jess)
They all gave clear instructions and were available whenever I had questions. They were extremely kind and understanding.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
I felt so comfortable in the Patchogue office. Everyone made me feel welcome and relaxed. Getting bloodwork was so easy thanks to their awesome phlebotomist. They called with information and instructions when they said they would, but I was also able to call and follow up when I needed to. They are like a well oiled machine! Everyone knows their job and they do it well. When you go got monitoring it can be time consuming because everyone getting monitored goes at the same time, but they try to treat you in a timely manner. I think it's important for the patient to trust the process, but also stay on top of your process. It is important to ask questions and be knowledgeable about what is happening.
My insurance covered my costs. I didn't pay a copay until I was pregnant.

2018 - 2022, Successful
It's not easy hearing all kinds of terms, procedures and medical tests that need to be done, however, Dr. Pena explains everything so well and answers all questions you may have. He always has a smile and makes you feel comfortable...Dr. Pena took the time to explain the various options and procedures along with the risks involved. During each of my transfers, he always said "I put a good word with the man upstairs"--made me feel like he really was on my team and hoping for us to be successful...
I always found the office [RMA Long Island IVF] to be clean and the rooms are private. During the times when I needed bloodwork done, the nursing staff was there early which was great for me to get to work with no issues...We could not have asked for better nurses especially Jessica and Melissa. They were literally a phone call away! All the nurses that we have had the pleasure of meeting at RMA are friendly, compassionate, caring, thoughtful and most of all helpful...
Dr. Pena is in your corner every step of this journey. He is invested in helping you become parents. I always left his office knowing that my dreams of becoming a mother would be happening one day thanks to Dr. Pena and his staff. It's not easy hearing all kinds of terms, procedures and medical tests that need to be done, however, Dr. Pena explains everything so well and answers all questions you may have. He always has a smile and makes you feel comfortable. He truly is our hero! We are so grateful to have contacted his office after being referred by my GYN. He made our dreams of becoming parents and expanding our family a reality. IVF is not easy, but when you have a doctor like Dr. Pena, you will be in great hands every step of this amazing journey.
It is important to ask lots of questions, get options and most of all know that Dr. Pena and his staff are there on your team.
Dr. Pena and his staff have been so supportive during this journey of becoming parents. Dr. Pena took the time to explain the various options and procedures along with the risks involved. During each of my transfers, he always said "I put a good word with the man upstairs"--made me feel like he really was on my team and hoping for us to be successful. We couldn't have asked for better nurses, especially Jessica and Melissa--life savers!-- both were always willing to go above and beyond to make me feel at ease and comfortable with all the medications, answer all kinds of questions and explain directions on how to administer injections. Each individual from Dr. Pena to the Nurses to the Front desk Staff at RMA Long Island IVF have played a vital part in our story. We truly are so grateful to have them be part of our family.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jessica and Melissa)
We could not have asked for better nurses especially Jessica and Melissa. They were literally a phone call away! All the nurses that we have had the pleasure of meeting at RMA are friendly, compassionate, caring, thoughtful and most of all helpful!
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
I always found the office to be clean and the rooms are private. During the times when I needed bloodwork done, the nursing staff was there early which was great for me to get to work with no issues.
Morning monitoring started at 6:30am and the nurse was ready to do bloodwork which was great for working patients.
I am truly blessed to have great insurance coverage. I had copayments, lab tests, and medications to pay for each of my treatments.
Dr. Pena explained the risks involved with multiple embryo transfers during our first IVF treatment.

2022, Successful
Dr Pena was very clear about realistic objectives given my age and the nature of fertility treatment. He was always very responsive to any of my questions...He is definitely more blunt and realistic with what to expect. He definitely does not sugar-coat anything or give you false hope. He was extremely thorough with a lot of blood work and exams, and changed dosage as needed when the first IUI did not work. I was pleasantly surprised to have my IUI work on the second time...
The nursing staff [at RMA Long Island IVF] was great, very compassionate, extremely responsive with whatever concern or question I had...Morning monitoring can sometimes feel like a cog in a train, since it is first come, first served, but they did move people very quickly, and I never felt like I had to wait very long to be seen. The fact that they have multiple offices was great if I was working and had to use a different location.
Dr Pena is very knowledgeable and informative. He is definitely more blunt and realistic with what to expect. He definitely does not sugar-coat anything or give you false hope. He was extremely thorough with a lot of blood work and exams, and changed dosage as needed when the first IUI did not work. I was pleasantly surprised to have my IUI work on the second time.
Expect to have a doctor that is really knowledgable and intelligent, that you can really trust is doing everything in his power to get you what you want But do not expect a doctor who will coddle you.
I began with a blood test and sonogram to gauge my ovarian reserve. They also did a full genetics panel since I was using donor sperm. I was sent for an HSG exam before we even attempted a cycle. For both cycles I was put on Clomid, and had weekly blood tests and sonograms to watch the progression of my follicles. I also was given an injectable trigger shot with both cycles. The second cycle I was on a slightly higher dose of Clomid, and it resulted in 2 prefect size follicles that I triggered on.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jess or Alexis)
The nursing staff was great, very compassionate, extremely responsive with whatever concern or question I had.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
I only paid for my donor sperm and co-pays once I was confirmed to be pregnant.

2019 - 2022, Unsuccessful
Dr. Pena has always taken the time to explain our diagnosis and treatment plan. He gives recommendations without us feeling pressured...Due to my age (29 yrs), [he] recommended only one embryo [transfer]...If you are confused about anything, ask questions. Dr. Pena is always willing to explain even if its at 10pm at night.
The [RMA Long Island IVF] front desk could be a little kinder. This process is stressful to begin so I don't like when I am in the waiting room and I can hear them on the phone giving someone an attitude. This has happened a few times so I know its common...[monitoring appointments] are pretty easy going. I am usually in and out within an hour or so...
Dr. Pena has gotten many of my friends pregnant. Unfortunately I am not in that group - however I do trust his treatment plan and I do think he will get me pregnant in the future. I've had three untested embryo transfers so I'm not sure if my embryos are not strong enough or if it was my protocol.
IVF: Cycle Day 3-7 :- 1CC Menpour, 150ml Gonal F Cycle Day 10-8: Ganirelix, 1CC Menpour, 150ml Gonal F Cycle Day 11: Ganirelix, 1,000 units HCG, Lupalide 40 IU Cycle Day 12: No Meds Cycle Day 13: Protonix 40mg, Reglan 10MG Cycle Day 14: Egg Retrieval - 28 Eggs, 10 Fertilized, 4 Untested Embryos Frozen Transfer: Cycle Day 3-6: Estrace x2 day Cycle Day 7-15: Estrace x3 day Cycle Day 16-20: Estrace x3, 1ml PIO Cycle 21: Transfer, Estrace x3, 1ml PIO Cycle day 22-29: Estrace x3, 1ml PIO Cycle Day 30: Pregnancy test
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jess & Alexis)
Jess and Alexis are awesome. They always are so informative and willing to explain things to me. Even though I will emails many questions, they are always good about getting me the info I requested ASAP
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The front desk could be a little kinder. This process is stressful to begin so I don't like when I am in the waiting room and I can hear them on the phone giving someone an attitude. This has happened a few times so I know its common.
These are pretty easy going. I am usually in and out within an hour or so.
Thankfully my insurance covered my IVF and my 3 embyro transfers. My meds for IVF with insurance was around $1,000 and my meds for FET for around $200. Now that I have to do a FET out of pocket, it is $4,500 + meds (Idk what that is yet)
Due to my age (29 yrs), Dr. Pena recommended only one embryo

2020 - 2022, Successful
There were a few times where the [RMA Long Island IVF clinic] was packed and the longest I waited was a half hour. Once I was out into a room the wait was no longer than a minute or 2...I had two primary nurses and I cannot say enough about how incredible they both are. Quick responses to emails. Thoroughly explain instructions, quick to call in or refill meds...If I call and someone needs to call me back, it’s always within the hour. The office is very clean and everyone is very professional.
I like how Dr.Pena doesn’t beat around the bush when he tells you something. He is so knowledgeable and if something isn’t working, he is right on top of it like adjusting medications etc. He canceled a few of my cycles because I wasn’t responding to certain meds. Even though I was frustrated, I appreciated that he didn’t waste a cycle with my insurance because it can be very costly. He made suggestions and we decided together on changing protocol. Every time I had a question even if it was during off hours, he responded to my emails almost immediately.
Trust Dr. Pena
Dr. Pena and his staff remember my name every time I came in with out me having to remind them who I was when I checked in. I just felt that Dr. Pena really cared about my concerns and was supportive.
I don’t remember everything but one thing in particular I believe really helped with my successful transfer. I had a problem with the thickness of my uterine lining. He suggested to cancel my transfer and do months of lupron. Afterwards my lining never looked better.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Alexis Rogers and Jessica Castro)
I had two primary nurses and I cannot say enough about how incredible they both are. Quick responses to emails. Thoroughly explain instructions, quick to call in or refill meds and they both were so compassionate and my biggest cheerleaders. This process is hard to go through and they made it so things went so smooth.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
I have honestly never had any problems with this clinic. It is run like a well oiled machine. If I call and someone needs to call me back, it’s always within the hour. The office is very clean and everyone is very professional.
Some mornings it was so crazy but when they were, they got a everyone in and out as soon as possible. There were a few times where the place was packed and the longest I waited was a half hour. Once I was out into a room the wait was no longer than a minute or 2.
Most was covered under insurance and anything that wasn’t my husband took care of. I really don’t know the specifics.

2019 - 2022, Successful
Dr. Pena always took my feelings and concerns into consideration by always providing me with detailed information, answering my questions (I had many) and returning my calls immediately after reaching out...He provides information related to research and his experience in practice, letting you know what to expect and what odds you’re facing. He is not a doctor that sugarcoats or gives you false expectations which I appreciate...
[at RMA Long Island IVF] There were times the wait was longer than you expected for procedures but they always tried their best to speed up the process. They are very organized and communicate well. When the nurse would call with instructions sometimes it was a little overwhelming or you weren’t home with a pen and paper but they always provide you with instructions through email which I appreciate...
From day one I felt very confident with Dr. Pena. He provides information related to research and his experience in practice, letting you know what to expect and what odds you’re facing. He is not a doctor that sugarcoats or gives you false expectations which I appreciate. Anytime I had a question or concern I was able to reach out to him via email and he immediately replied back with a phone call. This process Is very emotionally and physically draining but Dr. Pena helped a lot with that. I also felt comfortable talking to him on a personal level which is also important.
He is sometimes very direct and to the point maybe not always saying what you want to hear but you can trust what he does say is correct.
I was on high doses of stimulating hormones for ~ 2 weeks. Injections of lupron, follistim, menopur, gonal-f, novarel. I was also given entrance and progesterone. In order to produce a high number of good quality eggs. And then to further assist with the implantation process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jessica)
I always felt very comfortable with the nursing staff. They were all very helpful in providing me with the information and care I needed. They were also compassionate, patient and sometimes open to sharing their own personal experiences.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Considering the amount of patients they see on a daily basis and the time slot they have to get blood work done and sent out I feel they did a good job in making sure things ran smoothly and the wait time wasn’t too bad.
We had to pay out of pocket for each IVF cycle which cost around $12,000. My insurance covered the medications for each cycle. We completed a total 4 cycles and 1 frozen transfer. We decided in the end to use donor eggs. The sole cycle we chose cost us around 40,000.
When using my own eggs I did not do PGT testing on my embryos and therefore I transferred two embryos each time. My success rate was very low as I have low ovarian reserve and male infertility. When I used donor eggs I did test the embryos prior to transfer and therefore I transferred one at a time because of the greater chances of success.

2020 - 2021, Successful
I always feel safe with Dr.pena, knowing he’s going to give me the best advice and best treatment for me. I trust his knowledge wholeheartedly. I also respect how mindful he is with my time there...always maintained professional during my visits with him. He was kind , yet to the point of my appointments...Dr.pena is only comfortable transferring one embryo at a time...
For the most part the nurses [at RMA Long Island] were all great. There were moments here and there with miscommunication but overall I have no complaints and very grateful for their hard work...I like that I was able to go during a time frame in the morning that worked for me. There were times when I had to wait a little bit longer than I had hoped for, but overall I would be seen on a timely matter when it was my turn....
I always feel safe with Dr.pena, knowing he’s going to give me the best advice and best treatment for me. I trust his knowledge wholeheartedly. I also respect how mindful he is with my time there, I always feel that he is persistent with that.
To trust his knowledge and know that he is just trying to do what’s best for your situation.
Dr pena always maintained professional during my visits with him. He was kind , yet to the point of my appointments. He always asks about my husband and son , which I appreciate very much.
I don’t really remember any of this information
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
For the most part the nurses were all great. There were moments here and there with miscommunication but overall I have no complaints and very grateful for their hard work
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The office is always clean the only weakness I would say is that sometimes the wait would be very long to be treated, but that only happened once in a while. Besides that I don’t have anything negative to say. The staff is always kind and make you feel welcome
I don’t really remember the cost, but my insurance covered my IVF treatments so they were very little costs
Dr.pena is only comfortable transferring one embryo at a time, granted I’m not sure how I feel about that, as I would probably be open to doing two, I do trust his knowledge behind it and respect his choice

2015 - 2021, Successful
Dr. Pena always and continues to make me feel comfortable. He always takes the time to speak with me to answer all my questions...My 6-7 IUI cycles were all natural cycles with my husbands frozen sperm. I was very reluctant to take medications. Dr. Pena did not pressure to do anything that would make me uncomfortable. After several failed IUI cycles, Dr. Pena spoke with me again saying it’s time to be more aggressive and switch to plan to IVF....
the staff [at RMA Long Island IVF] is a friendly, informative and willing to explain procedures over again...The monitoring appointments were a bit stressful for me...The staff was very understanding and did their best to move patients in and out...They [nurses] were always there to answer several emails, calls and calmed me down to help me through the process...
Dr. Pena is an amazing doctor. The first time I met him I knew he was the doctor for me. My husband and I met with Dr. Pena a few years ago. During our meeting he took the time to get to know us individually and as a couple. I truly appreciate Dr. Pena taking the time to know us. During my treatments Dr. Pena always made me feel calm and remained positive.
Dr. Pena is genuine and will guide you with Best plan for you to reach success.
Dr. Pena always and continues to make me feel comfortable. He always takes the time to speak with me to answer all my questions and gives me the assurance I need when I have concerns.
My 6-7 IUI cycles were all natural cycles with my husbands frozen sperm. I was very reluctant to take medications. Dr. Pena did not pressure to do anything that would make me uncomfortable. After several failed IUI cycles, Dr. Pena spoke with me again saying it’s time to be more aggressive and switch to plan to IVF. The thought of this was terrifying to me. Dr. Pena assured me that everything will work out. During my first cycle I began in the morning with Gonal-F (225 units)and Menopur (2 viles). During this time I was being monitored. After about 5-6 days my Gonal-F dose increases to (300 units), Ganirelix was added to the morning routine as Menopur (2 viles) at night. I was closely monitored and plan continued with Gonal-F (300 units) and Ganirelix in morning with an increase of Menopur at night (3 viles). After one of my last monitoring I took my trigger shot for egg retrieval. I had 10 eggs, 5 embryos tested and 1 healthy embryo.
While under Dr. Pena’s care I had the pleasure of having two amazing nurses Jessica Castro and Alexis Rogers. I was reluctant to go through IVF because I’m nervous and anxious about many things when comes to health. They were always there to answer several emails, calls and calmed me down to help me through the process. I could not have done it without them.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The clinics strengths are the staff is a friendly, informative and willing to explain procedures over again. The clinic is accommodating for your needs. They understand that this could be a stressful process especially trying to get to work in the morning. All staff was supportive and made you feel calm throughout the process.
The monitoring appointments were a bit stressful for me. My work day starts either 7:15 or 7:40 am. I always wanted to make sure I was the first person there so I could get in and out. The staff was very understanding and did their best to move patients in and out. The staff was always very kind and wonderful to speak to.
I have great insurance so we paid a few hundred out of pocket. We chose to have genetic testing so paid about $3500 out of pocket.

2020 - 2021, Successful
He [Dr. Pena] spoke with me in detail before the procedure and answered all my questions. He provided mental and emotional support before we entered the procedure room. I am very comfortable around Dr. Pena and was completely relaxed and at ease during the embryo transfer. I am so very happy because I am advanced age, this is truly a success, all due to Dr. Pena's knowledge, skills and abilities as a doctor.
Dr. Pena's office in Patchogue is very busy during morning monitoring. It is best to go as early as possible (before 7am) so you can make it to work on time. Stephanie the medical assistant who draws blood is a pleasure...The Melville office is the only office opened for weekend monitoring and was a bit of a drive for me...
Dr. Pena is a wonderful doctor. The first attempt of IVF embryo implantation was a success. He performed the procedure. He spoke with me in detail before the procedure and answered all my questions. He provided mental and emotional support before we entered the procedure room. I am very comfortable around Dr. Pena and was completely relaxed and at ease during the embryo transfer. I am so very happy because I am advanced age, this is truly a success, all due to Dr. Pena's knowledge, skills and abilities as a doctor.
Do not be deterred reading studies and watching videos regarding your chances of success of IVF. It is an individual experience. Be positive, eat healthy, follow the doctors directions regarding medication, stay relaxed, and you are in great hands with Dr. Pena.
Dr. Pena is extremely personable and easy to talk to and ask questions. He is kind, caring and compassionate. I am always happy during my visits with Dr. Pena. I leave the visit in goods spirits and with positive vibes.
The medications included gonal-f and menupur. The first round of egg retrieval my husband and I had difficulty with the gonal-f pen. We were not pressing it down completely and getting the full dose. Both rounds of IVF I had about the same amount of eggs retrieved between 10-12 , 8 embryos, 2 sent out for genetic testing.
After morning blood work, nurse Jessica would call around noon with my instructions. She explained everything and detailed and answered or questions.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
I start work at 7:30am so I would try to arrive by 6:30am or 6:45am so I would be on time for work. If I was working from home, the Stonybrook office was closer to my home and I was given the option to go there instead. The Melville office is the only office opened for weekend monitoring and was a bit of a drive for me. Everyone is very pleasant and congenial in all offices.
IVF and IUI are covered by my insurance. I paid for genetic testing and freezing / storage for the embryos which was not a covered service.
I did not have multiple embryos to transfer due to my advanced age. I only had one embryo to transfer and it was a success.

2020 - 2021, Successful
Dr. Pena always present jovial with a kind bedside manner and helped me keep a positive outlook throughout my entire process... you may not see Dr. Pena each visit as it is not necessary. The team is just as communicative and knowledgeable and Dr. Pena is involved for the major procedures...only transfer one embryo at a time...recommended acupuncture as another option to assist the process in being successful...
Morning monitoring was normally between approximately 6-7am [at RMA Long Island IVF]...the office is really small, so if there were alot of women then you would have to wait in the hallway of the shared medical office with staff from other companies coming in and it could be uncomfortable at times...team at RMA IVF Long Island were very communicative and open with any information that was identified...
Dr. Pena was very communicative and open with any information that was identified. Dr. Pena always present jovial with a kind bedside manner and helped me keep a positive outlook throughout my entire process. Dr. Pena expressed his confidence that the process as with many of his patients' is normally not successful until at least the 3rd or 4th embryo transfers and just as he stated, I am now successfully in my 8th week of pregnancy on my 3rd embryo transfer. Dr. Pena even recommended acupuncture as another option to assist the process in being successful which I began after the failure of my second transfer.
Be patient. Although it may seem like your just going for a lot of bloodwork and sonograms and you may not see Dr. Pena each visit as it is not necessary. The team is just as communicative and knowledgeable and Dr. Pena is involved for the major procedures and once your successful in your journey.
Dr. Pena and his team at RMA IVF Long Island were very communicative and open with any information that was identified. Dr. Pena always present jovial with a kind bedside manner and helped me keep a positive outlook throughout my entire process. Dr. Pena expressed his confidence that the process as with many of his patients' is normally not successful until at least the 3rd or 4th embryo transfers and just as he stated, I am now successfully in my 8th week of pregnancy on my 3rd embryo transfer. Dr. Pena even recommended acupuncture as another option to assist the process in being successful which I began after the failure of my second transfer.
For my IUI's I was placed on clomid and would do the ovidrel injection a few days before; unfortunately my two IUI's were unsuccessful. Therefore, I moved on to IVF. For my IVF egg retrieval, I was put on clomid once again, in addition to gonal F, cetrotide, menopur, ovidrel. My egg retrival produced 25 eggs, and 21 embryos were created and 19 made it after the PGT testing; however, 9 were normal with 3 girls and 6 boys, 4 remaining embryos were completely abnormal and the other 4 consisted of 3 low mosaics and 1 high mosaic. My first frozen IVF transfer was unsuccessful with a boy embryo. 2nd frozen transfer resulted in a low pregnancy result which did not take ultimately and my 3rd frozen transfer as of 9/15/21 resulted in a healthy pregnancy.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Small location With only 8 seats inside the actual office requiring most women to wait in the hallway of the building until being called in, long wait times during morning monitoring occasionally and the occasional receptionist with a bad attitude.
Morning monitoring was normally between approximately 6-7am. AS previously stated the office is really small, so if there were alot of women then you would have to wait in the hallway of the shared medical office with staff from other companies coming in and it could be uncomfortable at times. There were also long wait times most morning but occasionally there could be a short wait with no one waiting in the hallway to be seen.
My insurance covered mostly everything except the PGT testing were it was $2,000 initially for processing fees and then depending on the number of embryos retrieved another fee which for me resulted in a cost of $2400 additional. Since I am now pregnant I pay a copay fee of $25/visit. I also had copays on my medications.
Dr. Pena and his team stated that it was their practice to only transfer one embryo at a time.

2020 - 2021, Successful
Dr. Pena made himself available via phone or email to answer any concerns we had...Upon ovulation I began with Lupron shots in my stomach...I then began taking Estrace pills to I believe thicken the lining of my uterus. A week prior to my transfer I stopped the Lupron and began Progesterone shots and continued the Estrace. My uterine lining was always at a great "thickness level" and ready for the embryo...
The clinic [RMA Long Island IVF] has a calm energy. When you walk in you feel welcome and cared about...The phlebotomist always remembered our previous conversations, the sono techs shared their genuine emotions based on what was happening. My nurses in the donor egg depatartment treated me with kindness and care. I never felt rushed and they often got back to me after hours to ease any concerns I had...
My husand and I met with Dr. Pena last August. He sat with us for approximately an hour thoroughly explaining the options we had as an older couple. My husband is in health care and immeduately felt we were in good hands. Dr. Pena explained the statistics to my husband, and then made sure I understood them as well. It was an extremely overwhelming 1st visit, but Dr. Pena made himself available via phone or email to answer any concerns we had. Throughout my treatment, Dr. Pena was always available if needed.
Bring a second set of ears. This is an emotional setting and you want to make sure you don't miss anything.
I was greeted by name each and every visit by the front desk staff. The phlebotomist always remembered our previous conversations, the sono techs shared their genuine emotions based on what was happening. My nurses in the donor egg depatartment treated me with kindness and care. I never felt rushed and they often got back to me after hours to ease any concerns I had. Dr. Pena had a kind bedside manner and was thorough in his explanations.
Upon ovulation I began with Lupron shots in my stomach. Although I could do it myself, my husband did them each night. I then began taking Estrace pills to I believe thicken the lining of my uterus. A week prior to my transfer I stopped the Lupron and began Progesterone shots and continued the Estrace. My uterine lining was always at a great "thickness level" and ready for the embryo.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Karen Froelich)
Karen F was a wonderful and knowledgeable nurse. She's kind and compassionate. She was easy to get in touch with and often responded to emails after hours
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
My impression is the clinic is very organized. Each person has a job and they do it well. The clinic has a calm energy. When you walk in you feel welcome and cared about. Occasionally I'd hear a "whoo hoo" from he staff when posotive news wasfound out! They have a well run clinic and I'd recommend to any prospective patient.
I did not have a co pay until I became pregnant. My shots were basically covered by my insurance as well.
I was told they only transfer 1 embryo/blastocyst at a time. I trust their medical expertise.

2014 - 2021, Successful
Dr. Pena is extremely knowledgeable in his field and he takes the time with his patients to ensure they are understanding of all aspects of their care...He is honest and compassionate. His clinical expertise is valued and this is why I chose to remain a patient of his for 7 years. He assured me during our initial visits that the likelihood of IVF being a successful treatment for us is high. I have a beautiful 6 year old boy and a baby on the way thanks to him....
She [nurse at RMA Long Island IVF] walked me through every step of the way, made sure that all my questions were answered, promptly followed up with every email, message, and question that I had for her. And most importantly, she helped me to remain calm during my treatments. She helped to make sure the entire process ran smoothly and very organized....
Dr. Pena is very knowledgeable in his profession and he has a great way of communicating his plan to his patients so that we can understand all aspects of treatment. He is honest and compassionate. His clinical expertise is valued and this is why I chose to remain a patient of his for 7 years. He assured me during our initial visits that the likelihood of IVF being a successful treatment for us is high. I have a beautiful 6 year old boy and a baby on the way thanks to him. My husband and I will always be grateful for Dr. Pena and his clinical expertise and support!
I have recommended several friends and family members to Dr. Pena for his wonderful bedside manner and most importantly, his knowledge in the field of infertility!
Throughout the 7 years that I was under the care of Dr. Pena he always maintained himself very professionally as well as supportive and understanding. Dr. Pena is extremely knowledgeable in his field and he takes the time with his patients to ensure they are understanding of all aspects of their care.
I cannot speak highly enough about Alexis. She walked me through every step of the way, made sure that all my questions were answered, promptly followed up with every email, message, and question that I had for her. And most importantly, she helped me to remain calm during my treatments. She helped to make sure the entire process ran smoothly and very organized. Alexis is such a valued member of the team and I thank her for all she has done for me!
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Dr. Pena & his nursing team run like a well oiled machine. Very organized and prompt with following up. However, the secretaries in the office were unfortunately often heard on the phones or speaking to their fellow peers in a very unprofessional manner. This was very disheartening to experience especially when the doctor and his team are absolutely phenomenal.
Self pay
2020 - 2021, Successful
Dr Pena is a straight shooter - he did not over promise results, instead he would tell me a percentage value of success that I could expect from each cycle. He was good at managing disappointing situations, of which there are plenty in this process. He remembers me at appointments and during calls. I always felt cared for/about...traditional antagonist protocol for all 3 egg retrieval cycles, with ICSI and PGT-A...
RMA is very busy...Monitoring appointments sometimes came with a wait...You will not see your doctor at every visit, and that did not bother me, since he was accessible by email at all hours...After one retrieval I received my embryo update 2 days later than promised...RMA does not give 3 and 5 day updates as most clinics do, so 8 days was a very long time to wait for any news...
Do not be afraid to ask questions.
Though the practice is very busy, I felt like I was remembered and valued especially at E Patchogue location, though even some of the Melville nurses, phlebotomists, PAs and sonographers seemed to remember me when I was monitored there.
I did a traditional antagonist protocol for all 3 egg retrieval cycles, with ICSI and PGT-A. At one point we discussed changing to lupron flare, but in the end decided against it since i was responding OK (not stellar) to the traditional protocol. In the end, it was my decision to stay they course, but the opportunity was there for me if i wanted to take the risk.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Alexis)
Alexis was wonderful every step of the way. She fully explained each stage as i was going through stims, was compassionate and supportive when I faced disappointment, and is genuinely invested in my success. Whenever I called with a question, it was returned quickly and with thorough explanation.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
RMA is very busy. Monitoring appointments sometimes came with a wait, but I was almost always able to make it to work on time, which was helpful as I did not disclose my treatment to them. You will not see your doctor at every visit, and that did not bother me, since he was accessible by email at all hours. Initially, I had communication issues with billing (self-pay, so, it didn't make sense? as its not complicated as with insurance), but I think a new person was hired and I haven't had any issues since. After one retrieval I received my embryo update 2 days later than promised - if you know how tough the wait is, then you know that's bad. All was well with my embryos, and no explanation for the delay A covid-specific weakness: my husband has never been allowed to attend any appointments (incl. consulation/pregnancy ultrasounds), which was disappointing and confusing, as *technically* he is also their patient.
ER Freeze only cycle with ICSI, PGT, with subsequent FET was $13k, plus meds $4-6k. I paid $600 for anesthesia per ER.
I believe the practice does not commonly allow multiple embryo transfer, but we didn't discuss it as i was only interested in eset.
I received my embryo update for my second retrieval later than promised by 2 days. RMA does not give 3 and 5 day updates as most clinics do, so 8 days was a very long time to wait for any news. In the end, all was well so I did not press for an explanation.
East Patchogue

I feel Dr Pena cares about each patient individually and about their outcome...I felt so well taken care of every step of the way. Dr Pena is knowledgeable and cares about each of his patients. He is very quick to respond to my emails and took his time to listen to me and answer any questions I had....Dr Pena's preference is single embryo transfer....
RMA has several locations which is great, I was able to chose which location I wanted to go to each visit. All the nurses and staff are wonderful and will be with you every step of the way. Due to high patient volume expect to wait most appointments, but office opens at 6am helps if you have to be at work....
Dr Pena has truly been amazing throughout my IVF journey. I felt so well taken care of every step of the way. Dr Pena is knowledgeable and cares about each of his patients. He is very quick to respond to my emails and took his time to listen to me and answer any questions I had. After my second transfer, I am now expecting my first baby at 43. There are not enough words to express how grateful I am.
Follow Dr Pena's advice he is very knowledgeable.
I feel Dr Pena cares about each patient individually and about their outcome. I always felt cared for by the staff, especially Dr Pena. He always takes his time answering any questions and explains everything to me despite having a very busy practice.
For my successful transfer medications are Progesterone in oil, Estradiol 2-3x a day depending on levels and after transfer taking Endometrin 3x a day.
Jess and Alexis are very friendly and helped me through the whole process.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Office has convenient monitoring hours from 6am-8am. There are multiple locations to choose from. Office runs smooth very organized.
Thankfully I have insurance and was only responsible for co ins and copays. I paid out of pocket for PGS testing.
Dr Pena's preference is single embryo transfer to ensure a healthy pregnancy.

2017 - 2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Pena is terrific. He is always more than willing to listen to everything you want to talk about as well as discuss all potential options and courses of action...he lets you decide what is best for you and your soon to be growing family. He is very responsive...He started by having me try multiple IUI's which unfortunately ended up as failed cycles. Then moved forward with the IVF process...[he] determined it would be best to do a freeze-all cycle because my ovaries could end up hyper stimulated from the large amount of eggs retrieved. It was a great decision
The clinic [at RMA Long Island IVF] is great. They have certain monitoring times, locations, etc. so that you always know what you need to be doing. It is very straight forward and easy to follow along. The only office open on the weekends and for the egg retrieval/transfers is the Melville location...My nurse Alexis was truly incredible. She brought such peace to an incredibly stressful process. I am so thankful for her she is an absolute gem
Dr. Pena is terrific. He is always more than willing to listen to everything you want to talk about as well as discuss all potential options and courses of action. As great as he is with showing you the best direction, he lets you decide what is best for you and your soon to be growing family. He is very responsive and helpful in so many aspects throughout the process.
I would advise a new patient to be ready for the journey because it is stressful and can be long (as mine was), but Dr. Pena is always there for you and rooting for you.
Dr. Pena and his team were always well versed in where I was at in each cycle as I had done many with them. Not only did we discuss my treatment, but were able to have real life conversations in addition to the stressful fertility process.
I have gone to Dr Pena for many years with unexplained infertility. He started by having me try multiple IUI's which unfortunately ended up as failed cycles. Then moved forward with the IVF process. At the egg retrieval Dr. Pena determined it would be best to do a freeze-all cycle because my ovaries could end up hyper stimulated from the large amount of eggs retrieved. It was a great decision to let my body heal. Then we proceeded with two embryo transfers that failed as well. At that point it was determined to PGS test the remaining embryos to see if there was something we were all missing. Thankfully we did that as we determined I have a chromosome abnormality which is why we hadn't been getting pregnant. Out of the 21 embryos tested only 6 were normal. We then began transfers again. The first failed, the second and third resulted in positive pregnancies, but miscarried very early. The fourth PGS embryo transfer we did finally stuck and I am currently 7 weeks pregnant. I am so thankful for Dr. Pena
My nurse Alexis was truly incredible. She brought such peace to an incredibly stressful process. I am so thankful for her she is an absolute gem.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The clinic is great. They have certain monitoring times, locations, etc. so that you always know what you need to be doing. It is very straight forward and easy to follow along. The only office open on the weekends and for the egg retrieval/transfers is the Melville location.
Monitoring takes place for a set hour in the morning. It is first come first serve which I liked because I could get there early to be first in line so that I can get in and out to get to work on time.
I have no insurance that covers fertility treatments so they were all out of pocket. I did cast rates with them. The IVF frozen transfer would be $4,500 plus the cost of medications which were a couple hundred dollars.
Dr. Pena protocol is to do the single embryo transfer vs multiple. I only ever had single embryo transfers.
East Patchogue

Dr. Pena makes you feel at ease whenever there's a fertility procedure being done, and he's very confident in his work. He always answers your questions...[he] explained to me to only transfer 1 embryo because of my age. I am very glad I listened to him because my embryo split and I am now having twins...makes me feel very comfortable with all the procedures we went through
RMA LI in Patchogue has a great staff that will help with all your needs and questions. Everyone is very personable. You feel like your not just a number, like other various clinics...You always received an email the day before for your scheduled monitoring time. It was very organized...They [nurses] explain everything to you with medications and procedures, and always answers your questions
My husband and I struggled to get pregnant for a year and a half, until we starting seeing Dr. Pena about a year ago. RMA LI in Patchogue has a great staff that will help with all your needs and questions. Dr. Pena makes you feel at ease whenever there's a fertility procedure being done, and he's very confident in his work. He always answers your questions. Dr. Pena is an excellent doctor. My husband and I are now expecting identical twins after various fertility procedures. A family friend of mine did see Dr. Pena too, and he helped her out with all her fertility issues. Extremely Highly Recommended for all!!
Keep doing what your doing to help out other women with fertility issues.
Dr. Pena makes me feel very comfortable with all the procedures we went through. He’s very understanding and personable. He makes sure you an important to him as a patient.
Dr Pena started my husband and I on an IUI Cycle because we had unexplained fertility. We started with Clomid 50mg pills and trigger shot for IUI. When the IUI didn’t work we kept trying with different medications. My health insurance covered for rounds of IUI. After the fourth IUI filled my husband and I decided to try IVF. For IVF we did two fertility shots every night for two weeks. Along with a fertility shot in the morning for one week. Once there was enough Mature follicles, We did an egg retrieval and had our mature eggs fertilized. Dr Pena did transfer one embryo. The embryo worked out and we are having identical twins. Dr. Pena checked up on me once a week.
The nurses Jess and Alexis are wonderful! They explain everything to you with medications and procedures, and always answers your questions. The receptionists Peggy and Karen are always very welcoming and help you as much as they can too.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
RMA LI in Patchogue has a great staff that will help with all your needs and questions. Everyone is very personable. You feel like your not just a number, like other various clinics. Extremely Highly Recommended for all!!
You always received an email the day before for your scheduled monitoring time. It was very organized. When there was procedures to be done, you always knew in advanced your appointment date and time.
I paid Co-payments for each cycle of my treatment. Since I had two health insurances for IVF, I didn’t have to pay co-payments.
Dr. Pena explained to me to only transfer 1 embryo because of my age. I am very glad I listened to him because my embryo split and I am now having twins.
East Patchogue

When first meeting with Dr. Pena he went through all our options and explained what tests we’d go through to figure out our best option. During the entire process he would call with results and answered all our questions with how to move forward. Dr. Pena was always quick to respond to an email and if a question needed further explanation he’d call as soon as he could. Dr. Pena never made me feel like a bother when asking questions, he was always so thorough.
The entire RMA Long Island staff is incredible! I’m always so impressed, actually blown away by their organization with morning monitoring. I always feel comfortable going into any of the offices, everyone is so helpful...They are so organized and efficient. There's a time block for when I can go in and it's always early in the morning right before work so it was very convenient.
I made an appointment for a consultation and Dr. Pena went through all our options and explained what tests we’d go through to figure out our best option. He called with results and answered all our questions with how to move forward. Dr. Pena was always quick to respond to an email and if a question needed further explanation he’d call as soon as he could. Dr. Pena is extremely knowledgeable and thorough.
Trust him!
I don't recall the timeline of all the medications and procedures, I had to take everything day by day and appointment by appointment. I trusted Dr. Pena and his team to tell me what medications to use when and they always made sure I understood what I was doing in that timeframe.
I always appreciate the conversations that I have with nurses to explain my lab results and my changes in medication. They are always so clear and concise and always willing to stay on the phone to answer questions. Even when I called several times in one day with questions, they were always understanding and never made me feel like a bother to them.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The entire RMA Long Island staff is incredible! I’m always so impressed, actually blown away by their organization with morning monitoring. I always feel comfortable going into any of the offices, everyone is so helpful!
I'm always so impressed by the way RMA runs their morning monitoring. They are so organized and efficient. There's a time block for when I can go in and it's always early in the morning right before work so it was very convenient.
My insurance covered most of the treatment and medication. I had to pay copays for morning monitoring that included sonograms.
I understood why they suggested for me to transfer one embryo. It's clear that was the best option since I was able to get pregnant on the first IVF attempt.
East Patchogue

Dr. Pena treated me kindly. He explained the risks of trying to get pregnant in a bigger body, and I had to do some extra advance screening...After that initial visit, and throughout my IVF treatment, I didn't see [him] that much, but when I had questions throughout, I emailed him directly and heard from him quickly--often just minutes after emailing...[he] was strongly for only transferring one embryo, because it's safer
the [RMA Long Island] care coordinator, was super on-the-ball, helped me coordinate doctor's appointments and track down records, and made sure I never missed drugs or information...Depending on the morning, I could be in and out for 20 minutes or waiting for over an hour. Arriving earlier definitely made the wait shorter...Communicate as much as possible. Between questions, medication stuff, and follow-up, I was on the phone with them several times a week, but I think this made everyone's life easier in the end.
I was refused treatment due to my BMI at another clinic, which was a deeply traumatic and upsetting experience, so I was really nervous when I arrived at RMA Long Island. I cried in our first appointment, but Dr. Pena treated me kindly. He explained the risks of trying to get pregnant in a bigger body, and I had to do some extra advance screening (an appointment with a maternal fetal medicine doc, which I was also freaked out about but turned out to be nbd, an absolutely dumb/bogus anesthesia clearance from my PCP). (PSA: RMA Long Island will treat you up to a BMI of 44. This limit is still bullshit, but is more liberal than other places.) Once treatment got started, though, everything was super-normal. After that initial visit, and throughout my IVF treatment, I didn't see Dr. Pena that much, but when I had questions throughout, I emailed him directly and heard from him quickly--often just minutes after emailing. Once I had a positive pregnancy test (yay!), I saw him every week at the sonograms, which was really reassuring, as he could give feedback in the moment instead of waiting for someone to call you later. His communication style is fairly blunt. He doesn't really soft-pedal stuff, but I didn't find him to be rude. He was honest about our chances, which meant we were all the more delighted when things did work out. IVF is such a complex process that you have to follow so closely--I would honestly walk over glass if the man told me to.
Don't be afraid to reach out to him. Appointments go by quickly, the process is complex, and there's so much conflicting information out there, but don't be afraid to ask Dr. Pena and the nurses for information when you need it. And trust the process. A lot of people have had success with him.
The team is definitely all-business, but they communicate with you clearly. They remember your name, answer questions promptly (Dr. Pena will call you back within minutes, most of the time, and the nurses are quite fast too).
I did a stimulation cycle that moved really quickly--they were closing the OR, so I wanted to get in before they shut down for a month. All told, I was only on the injectable meds for 10 days, with intensive monitoring (going in every other day or every day) for the second half of that time frame. Ultimately, they retrieved 8 eggs, of which 6 were mature, 4 fertilized, and 2 made it to the blastocyst phase. The doctor highly encouraged PGT testing, which we did (and I'm SO glad we did for the peace of mind). Both embryos passed the test. I took PIO shots, endometrin, and estrogen both before and after the transfer, and got a positive result 9 days later.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Alexis and Melissa)
Alexis was the nurse I worked with primarily. She was compassionate, responsive, and kind, even (/especially) when I called her several times with questions during the grueling 9-day wait post-transfer. Melissa, the care coordinator, was super on-the-ball, helped me coordinate doctor's appointments and track down records, and made sure I never missed drugs or information. They were both great.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
I'm grateful they'll treat patients in bigger bodies. Getting all the advance appointments out of the way was quite grueling, but it helps to just bang them out as quickly as possible. The morning monitoring can be a real crapshoot--get there early to make your life easier. Communicate as much as possible. Between questions, medication stuff, and follow-up, I was on the phone with them several times a week, but I think this made everyone's life easier in the end.
Depending on the morning, I could be in and out for 20 minutes or waiting for over an hour. Arriving earlier definitely made the wait shorter. The nurse who drew blood is super-sweet and also very good at her job--I never bruised when she did it (hi Stephanie!). Karen, the ultrasound tech who I saw the most, was also really nice--she provided information quickly so you're not left hanging.
$23,000 for the treatment cycle (no insurance coverage) and about $5,000 for medication.
Dr. Pena was strongly for only transferring one embryo, because it's safer. We agreed with his rationale.

Donor Eggs With Other Docs
At 43 years old having PCOS and severe to moderate endometriosis...Dr. Pena and his staff took the time to discuss my options of becoming pregnant...I felt listened to and all of questions and concerns were answred and addressed. I was given next steps regarding the donor process. I then worked with the donor department and was given the opportunity to undergo an IVF transfer using a donor embryo. I was given a calendar and next steps
[My RMA Long Island IVF nurse] is extremely knowledgeable, compaassionate, and patient. I never felt lost about what my next steps were...While the clinic is busy I never felt like a number always a patient. Each Nurse, Medical Assistant, and Sono Tech took their time with me. I never felt rushed or ignored. Both [nurses] are patient, composed, and friendly even on the craziest of mornings.
I went to see Dr. Pena in October of 2020. At 43 years old having PCOS and severe to moderate endometriosis i was not sure of what my options were to getting pregnant. After speaking to Dr. Pena on my first consultation I knew that using donor eggs would probably give me more of a success rate. I felt listened to and all of questions and concerns were answred and addressed. I was given next steps regarding the donor process. I then worked with the donor department and was given the opportunity to undergo an IVF transfer using a donor embryo. I was given a calendar and next steps. I selected an embryo and began the cycle. I am happy to say that I had a 5 day embryo transfer on 4/21/21 and I am now pregnant. My overall experience of Dr. Pena and his staff and been nothing less than great. I felt listened to and like a human being not just a number. I was guided through each step and never left to wonder what I was expected to do next. I had seen another fertility doctor over the course of the last 4 to 5 years and that experience cannot be compared to the experience I have had with Dr. Pena's office.
Trust in the process and follow each step. Such as testing and prescibed drugs. Having a postive mindset also helps.
Dr. Pena and his staff took the time to discuss my options of becoming pregnant. I never felt rushed with my concerns or questions. Each question was answered thoroughly.
I was prescribed progesterone in oil injections and estrace tablets. While the tablets are easy to take, the injections can be difficult however the reason for them is all worth it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Karen Froehlich)
There aren't enough words to describe how pleased I am with Karen Froehlich. She is AMAZING. She is extremely knowledgeable, compaassionate, and patient. I never felt lost about what my next steps were. She was accessible to answer any questions I had or concerns I had. Karen took the time to speak with me on muliple occassions regarding the process. She assured me time and time again that I would always knew what to do and she was correct.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
While the clinic is busy I never felt like a number always a patient. Each Nurse, Medical Assistant, and Sono Tech took their time with me. I never felt rushed or ignored. Both Peggy and Karen are patient, composed, and friendly even on the craziest of mornings.
The cost associated with care under Dr. Pena were associated with the purchase of a donor embryo. The total cost for this was approximately $2000
I was advised that one donor embryo is transfered at a time in a case like mine.