Available by cell phone
631-687-2229
500 Montauk Hwy
West Islip, NY 11795
631-687-2229
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Joseph Pena to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend RMA Long Island IVF to a friend?
2018 - 2020
Dr. Pena takes the time to get to know you during your initial consultation. He does the same for your partner. I went back recently to have baby #2 and he remembered exactly who I was. Every time I go to his office he takes the time to ask how I’m doing. His small talk and jokes always put me at ease. Never once have I felt like a number throughout process...He explains the risks of every thing and is honestly about all aspects of treatment. He also celebrates in your milestones and moments of joy. I’ve have nothing but positive experiences with Dr. Pena which is why I’m a returning patient - I wouldn’t trust anyone else!
[The nurse at Long Island IVF is] kind, thoughtful, and does her job well. You always feel like he’s rooting for you and she answers emails quickly...Monitoring runs smoothly here! They have a great system. You get your bloodwork done first then move to sono so they constant have people rotating out of each...IUIs cost $2,000 a cycle and medication was a few dollars. Our fresh IVF cycle was based on tax returns so I believe it was $10,025 and then we paid maybe 3-4K in medications.
European, Latino
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena is a wonderful doctor and I truly mean that. It’s so evident that he cares about his patients. He is very level-headed which I’ve needed during the emotional rollercoaster that is family building. He explains the risks of every thing and is honestly about all aspects of treatment. He also celebrates in your milestones and moments of joy. I’ve have nothing but positive experiences with Dr. Pena which is why I’m a returning patient - I wouldn’t trust anyone else!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Listen to him, he knows exactly what he’s doing. It may be frustrating when things take longer than expected or if a cycle isn’t successful but he’ll help you get there. Just trust the process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Describe the protocols Joseph Pena used in your cycles at RMA Long Island IVF and their degree of success.
1 IUI not medicated. 1 IUI 50mg clomid. 2 IUIs 100mg clomid. 1 fresh IVF cycle (lots of meds - Estrace, gonal-F, menopur, cetrotide, etc.). 2 frozen transfers (Estrace 2mg 3x daily, Endometrin 100mg 3x daily, progesterone in oil 100mL once daily)
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jess Castro)
Jess Castro has been my nurse while trying conceive both of my children. It has been a blessing having that consistency. She’s kind, thoughtful, and does her job well. You always feel like he’s rooting for you and she answers emails quickly.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
Long Island IVF (now RMA Long Island IVF) is a really smart choice and a wise investment if you are looking to build or expand your family. The service they provide is top-notch and the doctor and nurses have great bedside manner. They are organized, friendly, and caring. They have checklists to keep you on track and call promptly with results. Someone is always available to answer questions or listen to concerns. Their office staff is fantastic, especially Karen R. and Midge Moretti!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA Long Island IVF.
Monitoring runs smoothly here! They have a great system. You get your bloodwork done first then move to sono so they constant have people rotating out of each. In the larger office (Melville) they can draw blood on 2 people at once and have 4 sono rooms so it moves quickly. At East Patchogue there are two sono rooms and the wait isn’t bad.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF.
My insurance wouldn’t cover anything initially so we did self pay for everything. IUIs cost $2,000 a cycle and medication was a few dollars. Our fresh IVF cycle was based on tax returns so I believe it was $10,025 and then we paid maybe 3-4K in medications. The frozen cycles cost $4,425. Besides medications, everything is included in that fee. Once I became pregnant my insurance kicked in and it was $40 copays per visit.
Describe Joseph Pena's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA Long Island IVF.
Dr. Pena strongly recommends eSET. I had pushed on two different cycles for 2 embryos and each time he was adamant that only one was needed and explained the risks of multiples. He was so right - both of those cycles ended up in pregnancies, each with a singleton.
East Patchogue

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF.

2020
Dr. Pena is a strong believer of transferring one embryo to reduce risk factors associated with a multiple pregnancy... took a great amount of time explaining the various options of assisted reproductive technology that were available to me during my initial consultation. He listened to my concerns and answered all of the questions. During my monitoring appointments, Dr. Pena was thorough in his explanations and always made me feel comfortable throughout the process. Doctor Nps
Monitoring appointments are first come, first serve and you are given a window of time that you may be seen [at Long Island IVF]. Upon arriving to the facility, you call from your car and they will let you know when to come up to the office (due to COVID-19). The wait long was typically no longer than 10-15 minutes on average...the office handled everything very smoothly and ensured the utmost importance of the health and safety of the patients. Morning monitoring was ran smoothly and they never had more than 2-3 patients in the office at a time while adhering to social distancing guidelines. Temperature was taken at every arrival and all office staff and patients wore masks. The wait time was typically no longer than 10-15 min most of the time.
2020
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena has provided patient-centered care throughout my IVF journey. From my first consultation with him, I felt comfortable and confident that I was making the right decision choosing him as my fertility specialist. He is extremely knowledgeable in this field and will take the time out to listen to your concerns. He never makes you feel rushed during the office visits and is great in explaining what is shown/being looked for on the sonogram screens. Dr. Pena is truly the best at what he does!!
Trust him!!!
Dr. Pena took a great amount of time explaining the various options of assisted reproductive technology that were available to me during my initial consultation. He listened to my concerns and answered all of the questions. During my monitoring appointments, Dr. Pena was thorough in his explanations and always made me feel comfortable throughout the process.
I began my IVF protocol with birth control pills to begin controlling the stimulation of my ovaries. My stims began with menopur and Gonal-F to stimulate my ovaries and to increase follicle production. I also was on ganirelix to suppress ovulation. After 10 days of stims, I triggered using the leuprolide and novarel. These two assisted my ovaries in preparation for ovulation for an egg retrieval. The day before the egg retrieval I took an antibiotic as a precaution for risk of infection. The day after egg retrieval, I began the progesterone in oil shots intramuscularly as well as 1mg of estradiol twice a day. I worked my way up to maintaining the 1mL of progesterone in oil daily, 2mg of estradiol twice a day, and progesterone suppositories (Endometrin) 3x a day. I am currently on the same dosage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Alexis and Jess)
The nursing staff at RMA LIIVF Patchogue office are the best! They are caring, knowledgeable, and thorough.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, the office handled everything very smoothly and ensured the utmost importance of the health and safety of the patients. Morning monitoring was ran smoothly and they never had more than 2-3 patients in the office at a time while adhering to social distancing guidelines. Temperature was taken at every arrival and all office staff and patients wore masks. The wait time was typically no longer than 10-15 min most of the time.
Monitoring appointments are first come, first serve and you are given a window of time that you may be seen. Upon arriving to the facility, you call from your car and they will let you know when to come up to the office (due to COVID-19). The wait long was typically no longer than 10-15 minutes on average.
Most of my IVF was covered under my health insurance. I did have to pay copayments for medications as well as copayments once deemed pregnant.

2019 - 2020
The doctor [Dr. Joseph Pena] explained the statistics with multiple embryo transfers and we chose to do single embryo transfers. At no point did we feel pressure to go one way or another...was caring, compassionate, and very knowledgeable. He's very straight forward when describing treatment options and recommendations. I always felt like I could reach out directly to him at any point, and he answered all of my emails within hours. He personally called me after egg retrieval and fertilization to check in, and also with pregnancy tests results.
The clinic [Long Island IVF] runs very smoothly with appointments and scheduled monitoring hours. Wait times were very low at the Patchogue location. The Melville office can get a bit crowded, especially during holidays, and wait times there could be longer...Everyone in the office always knew my name and greeted me when I showed up for monitoring appointments. My nurse always came out to ask me how I'm doing and if I had questions even if I was there routinely. Most importantly, they sit down and explain everything(!) slowly and multiple times, and go over your personal treatment schedule and expectations.
2019 - 2020
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena was caring, compassionate, and very knowledgeable. He's very straight forward when describing treatment options and recommendations. I always felt like I could reach out directly to him at any point, and he answered all of my emails within hours. He personally called me after egg retrieval and fertilization to check in, and also with pregnancy tests results.
Do not hold back on questions. If you don't understand something, ask, he'll explain everything
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Alexis)
All of the nurses on Dr. Pena's team were amazing, caring and knowledgeable. They were always on top of all my medications, answered countless questions and emails. They are very thorough with test results and instructions, and make sure you understand every step of the process. Alexis and Jess are incredible!
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
The clinic runs very smoothly with appointments and scheduled monitoring hours. Wait times were very low at the Patchogue location. The Melville office can get a bit crowded, especially during holidays, and wait times there could be longer.
It was very efficient. Between 7-8 am so I always had plenty of time to go into work. And you can go into the most convenient office location. Compared to my previous experience where we did have scheduled appointments, which would ultimately run late, and I was always late for work, this was way better
The doctor explained the statistics with multiple embryo transfers and we chose to do single embryo transfers. At no point did we feel pressure to go one way or another.

2018 - 2020
Dr. Pena followed the general guidelines based on my age and embryo quality [for Eset]...I have a condition which affects all of my eggs and causes them to have an abnormal, extremely thin/frail zona ("shell"). Because of this we required very "gentle" ICSI for successful fertilization. This was done and we had great fertilization results for both IVF cycles with Dr. Pena...I always felt he spent time with me, answering questions in a non-rushed manner and always showing compassion. He was available by email for any thoughts or questions and would respond quickly and more often, he would call me personally. All of this was so important to me going through the difficult process of fertility treatments.
I always arrived at least a half hour before the office [Long Island IVF] opened in the AM and I was either first or third in line. For the most part, things ran smoothly and quickly and I always made it to work on time...I spent time in Stony Brook and East Patchogue. Both clinics were friendly and timely. I spent the latter part of my care in East Patchogue where nurse, Diane was friendly and caring. Front desk receptionist, Peggy made me feel at home each time I was there. I also wanted to compliment the on call nurses with whom I spoke to twice during circumstances that were upsetting. Unfortunately I cannot remember their names but they were experienced and comforting.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
I met Dr. Pena after losing my first IVF specialist after he left his practice and for insurance reasons. This was at a very vulnerable time where I felt abandoned by my first physician and rejected by another physician on the island who would only suggest an egg donor. I discussed my condition and the previous encounter with the refusing physician and Dr. Pena reassured me that I should continue with traditional IVF and never faltered on that decision. He was always encouraging and assured me he'd tell me when it was time to seek other options. In essence, he never gave up on me. That has spoken volumes to me, confirming his reputation of being a compassionate, successful, fertility physician. After five IVF cycles, I'm now pregnant with a viable pregnancy. I owe a lot to Dr. Pena. Without his confidence in me, I'm not sure I would've continued on with fertility treatments. I will forever be grateful.
I was initially hesitant to consult with Long Island IVF (now RMA Long Island IVF) because of the size of the practice. I was afraid that I would just be a number in a sea of patients. But that is not at all what I encountered with Dr. Pena. My advice would be make a consult and you will see that he is knowledgable, down to earth and cares for his patients wholeheartedly.
Having been with Dr. Pena for nearly two years, I experienced some difficult times and was given news that was very hard at times. I always felt he spent time with me, answering questions in a non-rushed manner and always showing compassion. He was available by email for any thoughts or questions and would respond quickly and more often, he would call me personally. All of this was so important to me going through the difficult process of fertility treatments.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sharon Hoey and later on Alexis and Jess)
When I first began treatment, I was assigned PA, Sharon Hoey. I'm so glad I have a chance to review her because she was an integral part of my care. She was kind, informative, patient and incredibly supportive. She continued to encourage me throughout the process and was a shoulder to lean on often. She is certainly working in the right specialty as fertility patients need someone like her in their corner. Later, I began dealing more with NP, Alexis who was assigned to Dr. Pena's team and she was smart, organized and helpful.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
I always arrived at least a half hour before the office opened in the AM and I was either first or third in line. For the most part, things ran smoothly and quickly and I always made it to work on time.
I was responsible for copays only. These were charged for office visits and sonograms.
Dr. Pena followed the general guidelines based on my age and embryo quality.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA Long Island IVF.
Without taking away from my overall experience which was excellent, there was an issue where I was incorrectly instructed on the mixing of my HCG trigger. I was able to identify there was an error and after speaking to the on call nurse, she instructed me properly to correct the administered dose error.

2016 - 2020
3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
PCOS, Other
Dr. Pena is a great doctor who is knowledgeable, friendly and caring. He is always easy to reach via phone or email no matter what time of day. He is a down to earth person who really wants the best for his patients...My husband and I both loved him as our doctor through this long process. Every step of the way he has been honest and forthcoming about our treatment and plan. He has been compassionate during downfalls and understanding and thorough in answering every question each time we come to the office. I would definitely recommend him to any friends in need of a fertility doctor.
[The nurses at Long Island IVF are] Always available for questions and help with medication and ordering. Always able to offer advice at any time to help through the process...Monitoring appointments were done in the morning between seven to 8 o’clock. They included blood work and sometimes bloodwork and sonograms. Sometimes he would meet with a sono tech and sometimes you would meet with the doctor himself for your sonogram. Everyone has been wonderful!...This clinic always has somebody available to speak with seven days a week and is professional and caring. They offer professional treatment and advice through every step of the process. They are extremely knowledgeable.
2016 - 2020
3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Make sure you leave time in the mornings for his pregnancy sonograms because he is very thorough and takes his time answering everyone’s questions and concerns. This obviously takes time! :)
Ivf for freeze all cycles for genetic testing with 5 day embryo transfers after test results came back. We did this as my husband and I are both carriers of genetic disease.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jess and Alexis )
East Patchogue

Dr Pena and his team were always straightforward about every process and always available to answer any and all questions I had...Our consultation was great. He gave me the recommended course of action. I came off 2 rounds of clomid (1 ending in an early miscarriage and 1 failed). I was not happy with the monitoring at my obgyn so was very happy with the plan dr Pena put together...I had a lot of standard testing that took several weeks... was frustrating but essential. Then once we finally started treatment I did IUI with letrozole and a trigger shot. First round failed, then second round was a success. After my BFP testing showed my progesterone was low so I immediately started taking suppositories twice a day. I do feel this made all the difference...
The nurses [at Long Island IVF] are amazing and are very diligent with follow up calls. My only complaint is that the Patchogue office runs very very slow. The Sayville staff is significantly quicker at everything. Sometimes I’d drive further because I’d be there for half the time...When compared to doing treatments at your regular obgyn, this office is leaps and bounds ahead. Everything is super easy, they’re a well oiled machine! Again my only complaint would be the Patchogue office is slower, nurses were late frequently so monitoring couldn’t start until like 7:20am. Every time I went to sayville they’d start their monitoring 15 min prior to opening, which was amazing. Clinic Nps
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Don’t wait too long before switching to a fertility clinic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Joey)
The nurses are amazing and are very diligent with follow up calls. My only complaint is that the Patchogue office runs very very slow. The Sayville staff is significantly quicker at everything. Sometimes I’d drive further because I’d be there for half the time.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
My insurance had great fertility coverage so I didn’t pay much out of pocket at all.
East Patchogue

When my husband and I found out we needed IVF we were heart broken but Doctor Pena honestly turned an unfortunate situation into a pleasant one. He never promised but always delivered. He was honest , considerate and set my expectations exactly where they should have been. He made me feel calm and comfortable, he put me and my husband at ease throughout this entire process. I can honestly say that I wouldn't have made it through this without him . And I am so thrilled to say I am now 7 weeks pregnant with Baby #1!! Dr. Pena will not disappoint, anyone looking for the best should look no further.
Monitoring [at Long Island IVF] was always super quick!...you may go in there and see 10-12 girls waiting ahead of you but dont panic. The nurses there were SO quick...billing is extremely on top of everything. I knew what would be owed by me before a procedure was even done, I was never surprised with a bill I didnt expect...Everyone I came in contact with from reception, to billing to nurses were professional and kind. I always felt comfortable dealing with everyone I came in contact with at long island ivf. I would refer then over and over again to anyone who needs fertility treatments.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Trust him. I questioned everything, and I shouldnt have. Dr.Pena was right and knew exactly what needed to be done every step of the way. He has alot of patients, but he is on top of everything I promise you.
Dr.Pena was ALWAYS available to answer any questions, he called as soon as he recieved an email from me.
Dr. Pena tried one protocol for our first transfer which unfortunately failed, we did a similar one with a few adjustments the second time which also failed and the third time he made numerous changes , which resulted in my positive!
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Castro )
Jess was my rock! She was caring , compassionate and everything you want from your nurse going into this.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
Monitoring was always super quick! Honestly to knew patients you may go in there and see 10-12 girls waiting ahead of you but dont panic. The nurses there were SO quick. I would get there at 630am , and with an average on I girls ahead of me I was seen by 640am and home at 7.
I do not know my exact costs as part of it was covered through my insurance but what I can say is that midge in billing is extremely on top of everything. I knew what would be owed by me before a procedure was even done, I was never surprised with a bill I didnt expect.
Dr.Pena suggested we do 1 embryo each time as I didnt want to risk twins and he was exactly right.

Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
Dr. Pena refused multiple [embryo] transfers for me as I was only 27 and he was concerned for twins and high risk pregnancy. We got pregnant from our first fresh embryo so it was never revisited as he was correct in his thinking that 1 was enough...was kind and explained things to me...is a great doctor. He was candid and always reachable. I was a particularly anxious patient with lots of questions that were always answered. This process is difficult, frustrating and at times heart breaking but I always felt comfortable in his office and hopeful after my visits. Going back for baby number 2.
Once my injection was not called in [at Long Island IVF]. However once I informed the clinic they corrected it called it in and gave me the medication until mine came in to replace it so my cycle was not lost...Monitoring is done between 7am-8am. If you have work go early or go to Melville location as they have more nurses and you are in and out faster. I do love the staff at east patchogue so I just always came between 630-645 & waited for them to open...Strengths: good results, knowledgeable staff, comforting environment, positive staff and energy, Weaknesses: once medications were not called in but they did spot me the injection so my cycle was not compromised.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena is a great doctor. He was candid and always reachable. I was a particularly anxious patient with lots of questions that were always answered. This process is difficult, frustrating and at times heart breaking but I always felt comfortable in his office and hopeful after my visits. Going back for baby number 2.
Get to the office early for bloodwork.
Dr pena was kind and explained things to me. I was a very anxious patient.
Joey was not the most compassionate nurse but she was knowledgable and did her job. I mostly saw the med assistant Diane who was amazing.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
It was covered by insurance except ICIS, medications, and freezing and storage. Total cost for ivf (1 round fresh transfer) and iuis (4) was about 6-7gs.
Dr. Pena refused multiple transfers for me as I was only 27 and he was concerned for twins and high risk pregnancy. We got pregnant from our first fresh embryo so it was never revisited as he was correct in his thinking that 1 was enough.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA Long Island IVF.
Once my injection was not called in. However once I informed the clinic they corrected it called it in and gave me the medication until mine came in to replace it so my cycle was not lost.
East Patchogue
Dr. Pena always responded to emails within minutes and made sure that I understood his explanations...is direct and to the point. He listened to my concerns and took them into consideration for my plan of care. He is attentive. He is friendly. He was always available for any questions or concerns I had...He is very easy to speak with and really cares that you understand the treatment plan...I had unexplained fertility. It only took two tries to conceive. There was slight medication changes that were made on the second round that may have played a part in conceiving.
My only complaint is unfortunately they are understaffed [at Long Island IVF]...Being new and not knowing what to expect there were times I had to figure things out myself. There were times I didn’t have enough meds and I didn’t know because I was new. They also merged with another hospital at the time and there with discrepancies with what medications I was and was not using. That was a little frustrating because it cost a lot of money and is very time consuming as well as emotionally draining and to think I may not be taking the right meds or doing the right steps to achieve a successful pregnancy was upsetting. But in the end I learned to just call anytime to confirm the plan of care and the staff was helpful in figuring out together what was needed. And I did conceive so I believe I was treated appropriately.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena is direct and to the point. He listened to my concerns and took them into consideration for my plan of care. He is attentive. He is friendly. He was always available for any questions or concerns I had.
It may sound overwhelming at first , which it is, but to not give up and just ask questions. He is very easy to speak with and really cares that you understand the treatment plan.
Office staff always greeted by first name and asked friendly questions. Dr. Pena always responded to emails within minutes and made sure that I understood his explanations.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
The staff is great and really care about the patient as many there have had similar experiences with infertility which made it much easier to form a bond. My only complaint is unfortunately they are understaffed and it dies reflect on the patient treatment. Being new and not knowing what to expect there were times I had to figure things out myself. There were times I didn’t have enough meds and I didn’t know because I was new. They also merged with another hospital at the time and there with discrepancies with what medications I was and was not using. That was a little frustrating because it cost a lot of money and is very time consuming as well as emotionally draining and to think I may not be taking the right meds or doing the right steps to achieve a successful pregnancy was upsetting. But in the end I learned to just call anytime to confirm the plan of care and the staff was helpful in figuring out together what was needed. And I did conceive so I believe I was treated appropriately.
I am glad we did multiple embryo transfer because out of the 2 that were transferred only one took. It increased my odds and it was a success.
East Patchogue
Dr. Pena is a very smart and compassionate Dr. He has walked me through my procedures step by step and even held my hand for my egg retrieval before I was put under anesthesia. He is truly caring. He even took the time to call me numerous times while he was out of the country on vacation. Most doctors wouldn't do that. That showed me just how much he cares about his patients...I first had a FEMVUE and water Sonogram to rule out if my tubes were open or not and to have a map of my uterus. I also had a endometrial biopsy to help increase chances of the embryo implanting.
I would usually go to the Melville office [pf Long Island IVF] for my monitoring, they were a very well oiled machine~!...Strengths are definitely the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. Peggy is an amazing person who is so genuinely caring and makes sure you have your appointments! Its so nice to have such nice people care about you and hope that you reach your pregnancy goals...Joey [nurse]( as well as Jess) is helpful with helping me with my medications and having them ordered for me.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
I would highly recommend Dr. Pena. I would tell them to ask him any questions they may have, because he will explain everything they will need to know.
Dr. Pena is a compassionate doctor who truly cares about his patients and the importance of their care and goals. From the first day we met Dr. Pena, he took the time to explain everything to us step by step. He has never rushed an appointment and has always been clear with expectations and treatments for our fertility plan. He even took the time when he was on vacation to call me to explain a procedure he recommended doing to help my process. He is quick with responding to email questions and has always gotten back to me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Joanna Falson)
Joey ( as well as Jess) is helpful with helping me with my medications and having them ordered for me.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
I would usually go to the Melville office for my monitoring, they were a very well oiled machine~!
Everything except the PGS testing was covered by my insurance. I only have Co-payments now.
East Patchogue
[Protocol with Dr. Pena] I used progesterone in oil injections, prenatals and prior to getting pregnant we used vitamins (can't remember the name, to help with egg quality) My husband used something similar to help with sperm quality, and we used other forms of injectionable med's to produce eggs /sperm...Doctor was very clear, to reduce any unnecessary risk, we had 2 tries, 1 transfer for each try. We did ask the doctor for multiple transfers because we were desperate, but doctor said if the 2nd try was not successful then we could discuss the possibility of multiple transfers.
they [Long Island IVF] have multiple offices on the island and the schedules were very flexible, the doctors and nurses were always kind and just really nice. I happened to visit about 3 of their offices depending on the day of appointments where that doctor was at. One thing i will say though is that sometimes you have to wait a really long time till your called...On first try an associate doctor did the transfer which was unsuccessful, then on our second try Dr. Pena completed the transfer and we were overjoyed to let the world know that i was pregnant,
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Doctor was great, very professional and was open to any questions. He was very detailed in everything. Doctor made us feel very comfortable and confident that they would do everything possible to help us.
If you are having trouble getting pregnant, you definitely need to give him a try, at least go for a consultation, you have nothing to loose, it's totally worth it. This doctor was recommended to us by my husbands Endocrinologist specialist he sees.
This doctor is amazing, may God Bless him and his staff! My husband and I were trying to have kids for 6 years. Long story short, my husband had a deficiency in reproduction and needed hormone substitute med's that his body was not able to produce naturally. Given that, we could only hope for the best. We reached out to Dr. Pena's office and went through all the necessary treatments. On first try an associate doctor did the transfer which was unsuccessful, then on our second try Dr. Pena completed the transfer and we were overjoyed to let the world know that i was pregnant, the doctor called my husbands line as instructed then we were all in a conference call and the doctor delivered the great news. This great news came around October 1st, i think. So happy to let the world know that we can now announce, we have a baby boy and he was born on May 21, 2019. I could have submitted my review much earlier but given all the doctor appointments and now caring for my munchkin, i just found the time to post this. I hope this was helpful. I have a few more frozen embryos and wish to return to this doctor in a year or so to try this again, God willing!
I used progesterone in oil injections, prenatals and prior to getting pregnant we used vitamins (can't remember the name, to help with egg quality) My husband used something similar to help with sperm quality, and we used other forms of injectionable med's to produce eggs /sperm. reason for using these were to make sure we got the best possible chance of pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jessica G.)
Extremely amazing primary nurse, went the extra mile on everything to make sure we understood everything and explained everything. Was very accessible on phone as well in case we had forgotten something.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
The clinic is Long Island IVF, they have multiple offices on the island and the schedules were very flexible, the doctors and nurses were always kind and just really nice. I happened to visit about 3 of their offices depending on the day of appointments where that doctor was at. One thing i will say though is that sometimes you have to wait a really long time till your called.
I do not remember it exactly but it was covered under my insurance, the difference i had to pay but was not that much, they offer payment plans to assist you in case you need it.
Doctor was very clear, to reduce any unnecessary risk, we had 2 tries, 1 transfer for each try. We did ask the doctor for multiple transfers because we were desperate, but doctor said if the 2nd try was not successful then we could discuss the possibility of multiple transfers. We're glad we did only single transfers because later on during my pregnancy the due date for my baby was June 9th, he was born May 21st mainly due to low fluid in placenta (even though i was drinking a lot of water). So looking back if we did multiple transfers and had twins there could have been a complication or a very early birth, at the end though only God knows how things would end up. I'm extremely happy to say the least.
West Islip

[Dr. Joseph Pena] spends 5 minutes (while you and your partner squeeze hands and stare at him) reviewing the pile of records you sent ahead of time (for him to review ahead of time) and 15 minutes purring statistics and acronyms at you... Are you over 35? - regardless of your shape and condition, brace yourself for the gloomiest forecast...He appears knowledgeable and experienced, but very remote. I felt like he follows a check list of procedures (similar to the one you walk away with from the first visit) and cares very little about your individual case.
Payment [at Long Island IVF] for the initial consultation is collected in the office before they even make an eye contact with you...Any questions about the procedures on the bill? - save yourself time - the answer is “This is what we bill everyone”...The nurse, Jessica, is the only reason we are staying with this clinic. Very responsive, compassionate, detailed... Weaknesses are multiple! - lack of follow up: we had to chase the dr and his stuff for every single test result. I’m getting calls from the pharmacy about prescriptions I have never been told were given to me... And of course billing, billing, billing... had to triple check and cross reference every item with insurance statements... Oh yeah, and zero common sense and courtesy - “So do you have kids?” adked one of the nurses taking my blood during the first visit... how do you respond to that...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Do your research ahead of time, he will not bother spelling things out or even explaining what certain acronyms stand for.
Payment for the initial consultation is collected in the office before they even make an eye contact with you. Btw later on they forget to apply this payment towards the balance. Doctor spends 5 minutes (while you and your partner squeeze hands and stare at him) reviewing the pile of records you sent ahead of time (for him to review ahead of time) and 15 minutes purring statistics and acronyms at you... Are you over 35? - regardless of your shape and condition, brace yourself for the gloomiest forecast. Next visit and they try to charge you again - apparently, because they confused you with a couple scheduled for their first visit that day. Any questions about the procedures on the bill? - save yourself time - the answer is “This is what we bill everyone”
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jessica)
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
Easy scheduling is their primary strength. Weaknesses are multiple! - lack of follow up: we had to chase the dr and his stuff for every single test result. I’m getting calls from the pharmacy about prescriptions I have never been told were given to me... And of course billing, billing, billing... had to triple check and cross reference every item with insurance statements... Oh yeah, and zero common sense and courtesy - “So do you have kids?” adked one of the nurses taking my blood during the first visit... how do you respond to that...

1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr. Pena had changed the estradiol pills frequency depending on the levels...prescribed Ovasitol twice a day for PCOS treatment...knew us by name. He knew what we do for living and chatted with us most of the time that we feel comfortable. He had always taken his time with us...He has always been available whenever we had an issue. He listened to our concerns and found the best solutions to our circumstances.
The Patchogue clinic at small but well organized and privacy is well preserved. The plus in the Long Island IVF is that they have multiple locations in Long Island all centralized with once system. You can do your blood work near where you work and still follow up with your doctor from another location...[nurses are] Compassionate, cheerful and amazing, throughout the whole journey. We had one instance where the billing person kind of yelled at us because a protocol was changed, we have reported the issue to the nurse when we saw her for the consent and she had cleared out the issue for us immediately and professionally.
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
We have chosen Dr. Pena based on the reviews although the Patchogue office was not the most convenient for us location-wise. It turned out that Dr. Pena is in summary the Go-To Doctor for infertility treatment in Long Island. Dr. Pena is very knowledgeable (we've been elsewhere, and we now know the difference). He has always been available whenever we had an issue. He listened to our concerns and found the best solutions to our circumstances. In detail, we had only one last cycle covered by insurance. Dr. Pena planned to do a fresh embryo transfer although we had 2 frozen embryos left and to test the embryos genetically (the new and the old ones) so to maximize our chances for this last cycle. But the insurance denied our request for a fresh cycle because we had 2 embryos left. Then Dr. Pena requested a PGS to the frozen embryos to maximize our success rate. But again our request was denied by the insurance because our pre-conceptual carrier screening tests came free of genetic diseases. Then Dr. Pena was left with one option to transfer both embryos, something that we really wanted. He had warned us of the complications of twin pregnancy and we happily accepted the challenge. In brief, we are now 9 week pregnant with twins, thanks to Dr. Pena. Furthermore, because we did not have an OB/GYN at the time of pregnancy, Dr. Pena kept monitoring us weekly until we transitioned to our OB/GYN.
Do not hesitate to discuss your socioeconomic situation with Dr. Pena.
Dr. Pena knew us by name. He knew what we do for living and chatted with us most of the time that we feel comfortable. He had always taken his time with us
Dr. Pena had changed the estradiol pills frequency depending on the levels. from 1 a day, to 2 a day, to 1 a day, to finally stopping it. All based on the weekly blood levels. Dr. Pena prescribed Ovasitol twice a day for PCOS treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Governali)
$20 copay for seeing Dr. Pena and $20 copay for ultrasound
After 2 miscarriages, Dr. Pena's preference was for a third single FET. But depending on our specific circumstances, Dr. Pena decided to go for a two embryo transfer, something that we really wanted. He had repeatedly warned us about the complications down the road, and we happily accepted the challenge

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Pena is amazing. I emailed him one afternoon and he called me within 3 hours from the airport, and my question wasn't even pressing. I felt like he spent the time getting to know me and I truly felt heard... I came to him from another clinic with a folder thicker than a dictionary. He spent 2 hours talking with my husband and I on our first meeting. I believe he spent the time necessary to truly get to know my case. He was thorough, pleasant, funny, caring, and intelligent.
Although a busy office [Long Island IVF], they really take the time to get to know you and pay attention to any concerns you may have. They are attentive, work as quickly as they can while still giving you the attention necessary during early morning appointments, and they truly have a family feel.... I never once had an issue with the monitoring window, nor was I any later to work than I had planned. Depending on what time you have to be at work, being late may just have to happen, but I was never held up longer than anticipated.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena was truly amazing and I am 16 weeks along and attribute it completely to him. I came to him from another clinic with a folder thicker than a dictionary. He spent 2 hours talking with my husband and I on our first meeting. I believe he spent the time necessary to truly get to know my case. He was thorough, pleasant, funny, caring, and intelligent.
If you had bad experiences in the past like I did, it is okay to trust him. I came in hesitantly and, within one visit, felt that I knew I was in the right place.
Joey was extremely thorough and went over all my supplements with me when I had questions. If she needed to, she referred to Dr. Pena and never came off too controlling at all. She has a wonderful demeanor and was able to work as a great liason between me and Dr. Pena.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
Having come from another clinic which resembled a factory, I can tell you that Dr. Pena's office is nothing like that. Although a busy office, they really take the time to get to know you and pay attention to any concerns you may have. They are attentive, work as quickly as they can while still giving you the attention necessary during early morning appointments, and they truly have a family feel.
I never once had an issue with the monitoring window, nor was I any later to work than I had planned. Depending on what time you have to be at work, being late may just have to happen, but I was never held up longer than anticipated. If I needed to be at work earlier I just arrived at the start of the monitoring window time and if I didn't, then I just arrived before the window ended. Ironically, at my previous clinic I would have an appointment time which always took longer than the monitoring window at Dr. Pena's! They do an awesome job getting everything through quickly and efficiently.
I have insurance coverage, so I only paid a co-pay for certain visits. Since it is a center of excellence many of my co-pays were covered.
Dr. Pena was willing to transfer 2 embryos for me since I had miscarried a genetically tested embryo in the past. I elected not to do the testing and transfer one, and to transfer 2 and see what happened. I ended up with a singleton pregnancy.
East Patchogue

Dr. Pena will lay out all the facts for you and will allow you to reach an independent decision...We greatly appreciated his no-nonsense approach. He was warm and guided us at each step of the way. Although we were initially recommended to go through IUI, he did not dissuade us from choosing IVF, which was successful...He listened attentively to all our concerns, and responded promptly to our all our questions, especially via e-mail.
Monitoring appointments [at Long Island IVF] were efficient, with no more than 10 minutes of waiting if bloodwork only, or no more than 30 minutes if I needed an ultrasound...appointments with Dr. Pena may take about 30 minutes due to the volume of patients. The waiting room is comfortable, and the receptionists/nursing staff are very warm... Sharon at the Stony Brook office was particularly kind and guided me on how to inject the medication and calmed me during this long process.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena was warm and guided us at each step of the way. We always felt that we were getting the complete story each visit - both the pros and cons of each step. We will not hesitate to return to Dr. Pena in the future.
He listened attentively to all our concerns, and responded promptly to our all our questions, especially via e-mail. We greatly appreciated his no-nonsense approach. He was warm and guided us at each step of the way. Although we were initially recommended to go through IUI, he did not dissuade us from choosing IVF, which was successful. Sharon at the Stony Brook office went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and calm through this long journey.
We went for IVF with ICSI. For stimulation, I took Gonal F (225 U) and 2 x Menopur for Days 1-6; Gonal F 225, 2x Menopur, and 1 cc Ganirelix Days 7-9; Gonal F 300, 2x Menopur, and 1 cc Ganirelix Day 10; and 1cc Ganirelix and HCG trigger on Day 11, with retrieval on Day 13. For transfer, I took progesterone in oil, followed by Endometrin, Estrace, Aspirin, Medrol, and Doxycycline. This protocol maximized the number of mature eggs collected, and I had one egg transferred successfully.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jessica G)
Jessica G coordinated the overall scheduling and appointments at the East Patchogue office. I saw the nursing staff at the East Patchogue, Stony Brook and W. Islip offices. Sharon at the Stony Brook office was particularly kind and guided me on how to inject the medication and calmed me during this long process.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
Typically for monitoring and bloodwork, the wait is around 10 minutes at the East Patchogue office, but appointments with Dr. Pena may take about 30 minutes due to the volume of patients. The waiting room is comfortable, and the receptionists/nursing staff are very warm.
Monitoring appointments were efficient, with no more than 10 minutes of waiting if bloodwork only, or no more than 30 minutes if I needed an ultrasound.
We paid about $9,000 out of pocket. The rest was covered by insurance.
Based on my age and fertility, Dr. Pena strongly suggested transferring a single embryo

2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Dr. Pena took the time to answer all of my questions. If I sent him an email he would call me back instead of just emailing me. He sat and explained the procedure and discussed all the risks and benefits...Dr. Pena was a great doctor. The practice is big so it's not always easy to receive personalized service, however he was always available to answer any questions I had, calling me to discuss my concerns.
LI IVF is a large practice. There are a lot of doctors, therefore a lot of patients. On the weekends only the Melville office is open which means you could be waiting over an hour just to have your monitoring services done. However, it's worth it. All of the doctors i've seen have been great. The nurses are all wonderful and everyone is concerned and doing whatever they have to in order to help you on your journey.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena was a great doctor. The practice is big so it's not always easy to receive personalized service, however he was always available to answer any questions I had, calling me to discuss my concerns. I have a beautiful baby boy and am pregnant again thanks to Dr. Pena.
Don't doubt him. Discuss your concerns with him but trust he will do everything he can to help you achieve a successful pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sue)
My primary nurse was Sue, who does not work in the West Islip office. She is phenomenal and was constantly keeping me updated on my progress. However, Jess, who works out of West Islip is also fantastic. Since all of my screening is done in West Islip, she is the one who calls with my results most of the time. She always explains things to me and puts me at ease. At one point I was concerned I was losing the pregnancy and when I came in the office for testing she came over and asked me how I was doing. She talked to me for a few minutes and said she was keeping her fingers crossed. Luckily everything was OK. I cannot say enough about how great this practice is.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
If you went to the LI IVF West Islip office, there may have been a short wait in the morning, but as soon as they started seeing patients, things progressed very quickly.
about average
I wanted to transfer two embryos but Dr.Pena felt strongly I should only transfer one. I am now pregnant with that single transfer!

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Dr Pena was honest from the beginning. I wish i would have listened and not wasted as much time. He stated the obvious about my ovary and egg count. ...I couldn't have asked for a more understanding , caring and a person who actually gets me and can foresee any issues i might have . He really pays attention and made me feel safe and comfortable...he doesn't judge and is actually very funny himself. He will always give you his best medical advise
The clinic [Long Island IVF West Islip is amazing. They sort of become family, everyone knows your cycle and where you are...The tech was always professional and told you your progress if any....I absolutely LOVE Jessica, she was my rock when i was there. She was so loving and motherly. She explained all my paperwork...The billing coordinator, Midge, is also so amazing she explained the charges and was always willing to work with me .
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Dr Pena was honest from the beginning. I wish i would have listened and not wasted as much time. He stated the obvious about my ovary and egg count. Instead of jumping into IVF i wanted to try IUI. Against his suggestion we tried. Even though it didn't work out he never once said i told you so . He in a kind and nurturing manner suggested IVF with ICSI. Again against his suggestion we only tried IVF. Despite all my failures he was always kind and supportive. I finally listened to him and got pregnant twice. First time i miscarried at 10 weeks 5 days due to stress from my commute and work. This time i'm pregnant and am extremely hopeful for a live birth. Recently i freaked out because i had some vaginal bleeding. I called the emergency hotline and a nurse returned my call , then Dr. Pena reached out to me and told me to come in to see him for peace of mind. He said me stressing will not do anything good. I wasn't scheduled to see him until Thursday but he took me in on Tuesday. When i saw him i was in tears . He was kind and speaking positive . He mentioned that the progesterone suppositories may cause bleeding. He performed the sono and everything is perfect. baby is growing and has a healthy heartbeat. He also mentioned that the sono might cause some bleeding , and not to panic. He mentioned that if i bleed heavily , like soaking 2 pads an hour i need to call him right away and go to the ER. I couldn't have asked for a more understanding , caring and a person who actually gets me and can foresee any issues i might have . He really pays attention and made me feel safe and comfortable.
Be yourself , he doesn't judge and is actually very funny himself. He will always give you his best medical advise . Don't be a hard head like myself. In this case the Dr. does know best.
i have a quirky personality and i felt at ease with Dr. Pena. My left ovary went under a procedure with my gynecologist. Every time we were stiming i would say my left side just takes longer to get ready , like some girls they get ready in 15 mins , my righ side takes longer , she needs to put on lashes , do her make up , get her hair done , and forget about picking out an outfit . forget about how strange this sounds , any time i went in to see him he played right along, when he would see follicles developing he would say she's almost done getting ready and would say hopefully she makes it the party. When she didn't produce anything worth retrieving , he would say little things like she's (my left ovary) is staying in tonight. he always found a way to make me laugh. He made me feel normal and safe.
Due to my low egg reserve had to be aggressive , he took extra care to ensure i was not hyper stimulating my ovaries . He always asked me if i was having any side effects. He did modify one of my meds because my ovaries were not responding.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Castro)
I absolutely LOVE Jessica, she was my rock when i was there. She was so loving and motherly. She explained all my paperwork , i always had tons of questions and she was always kind in answering , never feeling annoyed. I always looked forward to getting blood work results from her as she explained what the numbers meant. She also told me to stay away from google , she had noticed my personality and said she wants me to be stress and worry free. She said if i had any questions or concerns to reach out to her directly and if she couldn't give me the answer she would get me the answer from Dr. Pena. They really are a dynamic duo. I also cant say enough about Krystal , she would be the one who would draw my blood and coordinate my meds for me . She was on top of it. My insurance was a bit of a nightmare to deal with but she was relentless on the followup to ensure i would have meds on time for my cycle. The billing coordinator, Midge, is also so amazing she explained the charges and was always willing to work with me .
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
The clinic is amazing. They sort of become family, everyone knows your cycle and where you are. For me this was invaluable as my family is unaware i was going through treatment. They are against it for religious reasons. This process is emotional and you def need a support system. They became my family i had my own personal cheerleaders.
When Dr Pena was performing the monitoring it took longer , as i'm sure others had questions and took up more of his time . When he was not in the West Islip office and we had a tech, it was in and out. The tech was always professional and told you your progress if any.
Luckily for me i was covered under my insurance. The only thing i had to pay out of pocket was ICSI, which was reasonable.
Due to my egg quality and count he preferred multiple embryo transfer for my fresh cycle. He did explain the consequences. For my frozen transfer he did explain he preferred just 1 embryo , only 1 made it.

2013 - 2018
I started with Dr Pena back in 2013 with IUI bc I was optimistic that I could get pregnant without too much intervention. Dr. Pena was willing to work with what I wanted but also let me know the statistics and success rates of IUI with no meds vs IUI with meds and then of course the success rate of IVF.... Dr. Pena felt more confident that given my age and the fact that the problem was mainly with my husband that we'd ave a better chance with IVF.
Wait times can sometimes be a pain for monitoring and sometimes they [Long Island IVF -West Islip] won't have enough staff for the amount of patients and that can be frustrating. One time I went in and they no sonogram technician so I had to drive all the way to Melville just for a sonogram.... I needed more endometrin from my specialty pharmacy and I called and Jessica said she would send it in. then I called my pharmacy a few days later to order and she still didn't send it. when I called her she apologized and said she forgot but then sent it over right away.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Dr Pena is very forthcoming with information. He's not warm and fuzzy but that doesn't mean he's not kind. I liked how straightforward he was with information and I liked that he had a good sense of humor when dealing with the trials of infertility. Overall I liked his way of handling things and his demeanor. He was real and nothing felt ingenuine or fake.
To really listen to what he has to say and trust that he has a lot of experience to back up his advice
They always used my name and answered all my questions and handled things delicately when need be
I started with Dr Pena back in 2013 with IUI bc I was optimistic that I could get pregnant without too much intervention. Dr. Pena was willing to work with what I wanted but also let me know the statistics and success rates of IUI with no meds vs IUI with meds and then of course the success rate of IVF. So after failed IUI with no meds then I did a couple rounds with meds and still no luck so I went to IVF. Dr. Pena felt more confident that given my age and the fact that the problem was mainly with my husband that we'd ave a better chance with IVF. The first round I didn't get a ton of eggs at retrieval and only 2 survived so that's what they transferred but had a chemical pregnancy. Then I started a whole new fresh cycle a couple months later and had a much better retrieval and had I believe 4, 5 day embryos and they transferred 2 and I got pregnant! They froze the 2 remaining. I had a ealthy single baby girl in 2014. Now in 2017 I went back for a FET and had a chemical pregnancy and then did my 2nd FET about a month ago and I am currently pregnant.
Overall I liked Jessica but not as much as the nurse I had back in 2013/2014 Karen who was amazing. that being said Jessica was very nice but she made a few errors along the way that were frustrating. But always apologized for her mistakes and corrected them but sometimes it felt like maybe she hasn't been doing it long enough.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
Wait times can sometimes be a pain for monitoring and sometimes they won't have enough staff for the amount of patients and that can be frustrating. One time I went in and they no sonogram technician so I had to drive all the way to Melville just for a sonogram.
I already mentiond this earlier but monitoring on certain days can be a nightmare at this office and other days its easy breezy. When its busy it can be a little crazy but overall you can tell their really trying to get everyone in and out in a timely fashion
I am very fortunate to have very good insurance so I had zero co-pays til I had a positive pregnancy test
West Islip

[Dr. Joseph Pena was] upfront and candid about procedures and results... very personable but still professional. Always answered any questions that I had...My partner and I used donor sperm. My partner became pregnant through IVF in 2016 using Dr. Pena and it was very important for us to use the same reserved sperm. We only had a certain amount of viles and I made this clear to Dr. Pena. He completely understood our concerns. We decided to start with IUI. Although, clomid wasn’t necessary, I opted to take it. Dr. Pena was clear on the pros and cons of taking it.
Jessica [nurse at Long Island IVF] was very organized and also set and met expectations. Very responsive to messages left for her and called back in very timely manner. Staff was very personable and pleasant...[Monitoring appointments were a] Very efficient process. Weekends tend to be a little busier but they really do a great job getting people in and out. Very organized...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
From start to finish he is very clear and candid about all procedures and expectations. He answered all questions I had and made me feel very comfortable. After the IVF procedure, I had several questions. He responded to my emails almost immediately, did not leave me hanging in the unknown. I highly recommend Dr. Pena and I would definitely use him again if need be.
This process is not an easy one. If you want a true experienced professional who is going to be upfront and candid about procedures and results, he’s the doctor for you!
His staff and himself were very personable but still professional. Always answered any questions that I had when I left office in a very timely matter and spent the time to assure I understood.
I do not have any known fertility issues. My partner and I used donor sperm. My partner became pregnant through IVF in 2016 using Dr. Pena and it was very important for us to use the same reserved sperm. We only had a certain amount of viles and I made this clear to Dr. Pena. He completely understood our concerns. We decided to start with IUI. Although, clomid wasn’t necessary, I opted to take it. Dr. Pena was clear on the pros and cons of taking it. I did 4 single iui cycles, all resulting in negative pregnancies. The last cycle I will mention the sperm count was below normal. With Dr. Pena’s support, I decided to try IVF the next cycle. All instructions and risks were clearly cut out for me and I was completely comfortable going through with it. The retrieval and transfer were all a success and resulted in pregnancy. He is closely monitoring hormone levels and the babies growth and once I will soon be sent off to the OBGYN.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jessica )
Jessica was very organized and also set and met expectations. Very responsive to messages left for her and called back in very timely manner. Staff was very personable and pleasant.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
The doctors are on a rotating schedule for retrieval and transfer procedures, so don’t expect to have your doctor complete every retrieval or transfer. That being said, any doctor I encountered was just as good as the next. No issues. They are open 7 days a week, not every office though. You may have to travel to another office on weekends. Even when using a different office, I was made very comfortable and the staff was very organized and timely. Communication is great throughout the entire process.
I have very good insurance, fortantely with no copays.
I really did not want multiples and because of my age and quality of embryos it was only necessary to transfer one embryo.

IUI, 1 IVF
Dr. Pena is the most knowledgable doctor i've ever met. Dr. Pena truly knows how to do his job. Since the first visit at his office, I felt completely confident in his abilities to get us pregnant. During my treatment I started to show signs of hyperstimulation, Dr. Pena changed my medication, and I truly believe because of this I did not develop OHSS. I read horror stories on the internet about OHSS and their doctors not knowing how to prevent it. But I was fully confident Dr. Pena knew what to do and he did.
This clinic [Long Island IVF] was clean, organized, caring and knowledgable. They became like family, as I was there almost everyday for a month. The secretary always greeting you with a smile and pleasant conversation. Diane, who took my blood each morning was amazing. I only trusted her to take my blood! Joey, my nurse was very knowledgable and could answer any questions or concerns I had.
IUI, 1 IVF
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
One piece of advice I would give a prospective patient would be to trust in Dr. Pena to make your dreams come true. He is professional, knowledgeable and compassionate.
Dr. Pena and everyone in his office, knew me by name. Everyone was very friendly, understanding and took care of my every need. I knew I could call or email Dr. Pena at any time with any questions or concerns I had, and he would respond within minutes. I felt very loved at his office and am so grateful to Dr. Pena and his staff.
On the first day of my period I began taking estrace for 4 days. One the 5th day I went to Dr. Pena's office for my baseline bloods and sono. That afternoon I received my phone call with instructions. I was told to take Follistim and Menopur for 3 nights and return to the office the next day for blood and sono. That afternoon I received my phone call with instructions. I was told to continue the same treatment, Follistim and menopur. for two nights and return the next day for blood and sono. I was told to continue same treatment and return to the in two days. On that day, was when Dr. Pena saw that I had MANY follicles. I returned to the office everyday after that until egg retrieval. Once Dr. Pena saw that I had many follicles, he changed my medication to 2 menopur each night and to discontinue to follistim. I also took ganirelix to prevent ovulation. On Sunday night I was told to take a small dose of HCG alone with a lupron shot. 36 hours later I arrived for my egg retrieval. Dr. Pena retrieved 37 follicles, 29 mature, 23 fertilized, 1 successful fresh transfer and 15 embryos frozen!
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Joey Falson)
Joey called every afternoon with my instructions. Her instructions were clear and she was able to answer any other questions or concerns I had.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
This clinic was clean, organized, caring and knowledgable. They became like family, as I was there almost everyday for a month. The secretary always greeting you with a smile and pleasant conversation. Diane, who took my blood each morning was amazing. I only trusted her to take my blood! Joey, my nurse was very knowledgable and could answer any questions or concerns I had.
I always arrived 15 minutes before the monitoring window, so I was always the first to be seen and was in and out in 10 minutes.
I was fortunate enough that insurance paid for my entire IVF treatment. I did not even have any co-pays until I was pregnant.
Dr. Pena did a single embryo transfer, I am 29 years old and we both felt that a healthy 9 months of pregnancy was more important than multiples. Especially because multiples can cause a high risk pregnancy.
Anovulation, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr. Pena always explained everything well to me, and also didn't give me all the answers I wanted to here but what I had to hear. He was honest and was very good with responding to my emails or calls...I have very irregular periods, with other doctors they want to wait for me to bleed so it would be months and months of waiting. With Dr. Pena he knows time is crucial and helped me get my cycles started ASAP.
The staff [at Long Island IVF] was great on weekdays, problems are weekends if you had to go to Melville, main office there were so many patients. Sonograms you would have to wait a hour or so to get them, but blood works were always done ASAP...Good thing about going to Dr. Pena's offices is he does the sonogram himself...Monitoring hours were fair, very early but it was ok...Dr. Pena always explained everything well to me, and also didn't give me all the answers I wanted to here but what I had to hear. He was honest and was very good with responding to my emails or calls.
Anovulation, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena's consultations were always pleasant. He was 100% honest about what he thinks I should and should not be doing. Was always there to answer any questions I had, communicated very well via email.
Just be honest, tell him the truth, and tell him what you want. But listen to what he has to say, sometimes you may disagree but in the end it all makes sense.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Lauren)
The staff was great on weekdays, problems are weekends if you had to go to Melville, main office there were so many patients. Sonograms you would have to wait a hour or so to get them, but blood works were always done ASAP.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
Bloodwork and sonograms I like to go the main office lake success, much quicker, but only downfall is it only RN and sonogram technicans there. Good thing about going to Dr. Pena's offices is he does the sonogram himself.
Monitoring hours were fair, very early but it was ok.
During the first round of IVF with the group I had to pay some expenses. Since I had gotten a new job, it pays for all cost 90%.
Dr. Pena always wanted me to have single embryo transfer due to my young age, even though I was growing in patient he told me it was always best and the risks for multiples. I had gone through a miscarriage and till this day I thought about actually having multiples and how it would have hurt so much more.

Unexplained, Other
I found Dr. Pena to be very thorough at each appointment, covering all of the info and making time to answer any questions that my husband or I had. He was kind and made me feel comfortable with the path that was chosen such as the 2 IUIs and then the 2 IVF cycles....Dr. Pena and his staff [Long Island IVF] knew my name, welcomed me upon arrival, took the time to ask if I had any concerns and questions, called following procedures, etc...At the beginning of the IVF cycles, I was put on birth control for a few weeks. Estrace 1 tab / day for 4 days. Then 225 mg each of Follistim & menopur for 4 days which then increased to 300mg each
Everyone [at Long Island IVF West Islip] was always willing to answer any questions you have or to relieve anxiety and walk you through what is happening...[Cost Of Treatment] The total expense for an ivf cycle, meds, pgs testing, all visits associated with cycle was $24K...It was explained from the start what the available monitoring hours would be. I didn't wait for extended periods of time...[Nurse] Absolutely loved the entire team!...Dr. Pena and his staff knew my name, welcomed me upon arrival, took the time to ask if I had any concerns and questions, called following procedures, etc.
Unexplained, Other
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Try to remain optimistic and positive. I felt much calmer during my 2nd IVF cycle and now I'm pregnant!
Absolutely loved the entire team!
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
This process doesn't happen overnight so it is important to go into the cycle knowing that the steps that are taken are happening for a reason. Ask questions whenever you feel the need. Everyone was always willing to answer any questions you have or to relieve anxiety and walk you through what is happening.
It was explained from the start what the available monitoring hours would be. I didn't wait for extended periods of time other than when the office had been closed for a holiday weekend or snow day.
I only had 1 viable embryo both ivf cycles so it was not an option but if I did have more than one, he only planned on implanting 1 at a time.
West Islip

I rarely saw or spoke with Dr Pena - he was only present during a few monitoring appointments for a few minutes at a time. It seemed pretty clear he didn’t really remember where I was at in my cycle and just referred to the paperwork to discuss the specifics of my cycle....Our initial consultation with Dr Pena was very good and he explained the general process very thoroughly. After that point we received little to no communication on our situation, next steps, test results, etc. Dr Pena did not perform the IUIs, our retrieval or our transfer
LIIVF is a high volume fertility clinic that sees patients in mass. All the offices (especially Melville) are very crowded and you will end up waiting for most appointments. The doctors work as a team so it is very likely your own doctor won’t be performing your own procedure and the nurses and practioners take on the brunt of the communication and patient liaising...The Operating Room goes down for two weeks four times a year for deep cleaning. Our doctor and nurse never mentioned this would likely fall right in the middle of our cycle and we would have to delay a month for transfer.
European, East Asian
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Our initial consultation with Dr Pena was very good and he explained the general process very thoroughly. After that point we received little to no communication on our situation, next steps, test results, etc. Dr Pena did not perform the IUIs, our retrieval or our transfer (not exactly sure why he is even labeled as our doctor?). One of the only times I did speak to him on the phone (when I was upset at the number of blastocysts we ended up with), he gave me partial (and arguably inaccurate information) about embryo quality. I also felt Dr Pena did not communicate process or potential options in treatment to us at all. We are left feeling much money was “wasted” just being pushed through a cattle herding process...
Communicate after key results and give reasons for why treatment plans/directions were chosen. Give options to patients but provide recommendations where necessary. Make sure your patients are clear on next steps and ensure there are no surprises for them.
IUI 1 (2 follicles) & 2(8 follicles - cycle canceled): Clomid IUI 3 (1 follicle): letrozole IVF 1: gonal-f & menopur for stimulation, lupeon, hcg (ovidrel) trigger, Estrace and POI prior to transfer
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF. (Assigned nurse: Jess)
Jess is so friendly and very compassionate - she couldn’t be more helpful when asked for assistance with anything. I wish the calendars that were provided were a little more thorough and explanatory (especially since we were going through our first IVF). I ended up learning most of the helpful information through YouTube and fertility communication boards!
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
If you are the first person in the office there is very little wait. However, if you are late you have to wait at least 45minutes to an hour. Generally, appointments at the West’s a Islip office are short and Dr Pena is present most days.
Insurance covered most but general costs without insurance are $6000 for IVF cycle, $3500 meds, $4000 PGS
Dr Pena said he would only do single embryo transfer for our first IVF since I am under 41 years old.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA Long Island IVF.
The Operating Room goes down for two weeks four times a year for deep cleaning. Our doctor and nurse never mentioned this would likely fall right in the middle of our cycle and we would have to delay a month for transfer. We found out at the last minute and pushed to get in before closing - we had four different people tell us four different things. Lots of confusion and chaos ensued (because the clinic wasn’t expecting to take on our cycle) before we got the transfer in the last day before closing. This never would have happened if we hadn’t pushed for it...

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr.Pena and his staff treated me with the utmost respect during my treatment. Dr. Pena was kind, caring and informative. He took his time to explain everything, review results and discuss the next steps in my treatment....I underwent 3 iui's. All of them were similar in treatment plan of action. I was given clomid on day 3 for five days. After that I went in multiple times to check follicles and hormone levels. Wheb the follicles were ready I was Instructed to do one shot of ovidrel and than two days later I would undergo an iui.
The office [Long Island IVF E Patchogue] is amazing. I would ugly recommend Liivf patchogue to everyone and anyone! I went to another practice on Long Island and I was not happy. Once I came to Liivf patchogue it really changed my view on my fertility issues and the everyday challenges I was facing...All of the nurses and staff are fabulous and friendly. I felt completely comfortable with them. I enjoyed coming to the office even though this was an extremely difficult time for me. The nurses and staff members always answered my questions and were very positive.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
Dr. Pena is an amazing doctor. I felt comfortable from the day I stepped foot into his office. He took his time to explain treatments and procedures. He answered my questions quickly and efficiently. I trust Dr.Pena 100 percent and would recommend him to anyone struggling with fertility issues.
The only advice I would give is to trust him 100 percent with whatever course of treatment he thinks is best.
I underwent 3 iui's. All of them were similar in treatment plan of action. I was given clomid on day 3 for five days. After that I went in multiple times to check follicles and hormone levels. Wheb the follicles were ready I was Instructed to do one shot of ovidrel and than two days later I would undergo an iui. The first was negative, second was a chemical and third I am pregnant with twins!
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
The office is amazing. I would ugly recommend Liivf patchogue to everyone and anyone! I went to another practice on Long Island and I was not happy. Once I came to Liivf patchogue it really changed my view on my fertility issues and the everyday challenges I was facing.
Thankfully I have insurance that covers most of my treatment. I had co pays and had to pay for medication.

IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
what I received from Dr. Pena was understanding and encouragement to move forward with the vision that I had in mind which was donor embryo...he went out of his way to be there for my most recent transfer even though he was not on the schedule...Dr. Pena made himself available to me, missed his daughter's soccer game on a Saturday morning, and successfully completed a perfect transfer for me. I am currently now pregnant for the first time in my life. I will be forever grateful to him.
The West Islip location [of Long Island IVF] is by far the most organized and quickest location. They have a sincere respect for your time and get you in and out quickly. All of the nurses are down to earth, take a moment to say hello and even give a bit of comfort or thumbs up when needed. Everything is extremely clean and neat.
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF?
It's hard for me to pin down Dr. Pena's strengths since I feel that he is just such a great doctor overall. For me, his biggest strength, was his ability to connect with me as a person. He did not make me feel intimidated but instead almost made me feel like we were going through this together. He explained procedures as we were going through them and took the time to make me laugh which I desperately needed at times. He is so skilled as a doctor knowing my body and was able to access my uterus repeatedly when other doctors were unable to. At times, I encountered setbacks like a polyp and Dr. Pena was immediately prepared to direct me in the right direction so I didn't feel lost. When we had times of disappointment, he took a few moments to remind me that sometimes this was part of the journey but we could still move forward. Most of all, he went out of his way to be there for my most recent transfer even though he was not on the schedule. A few of the previous doctors had much difficulty entering my uterus and left me in pain and bleeding. Knowing this, Dr. Pena made himself available to me, missed his daughter's soccer game on a Saturday morning, and successfully completed a perfect transfer for me. I am currently now pregnant for the first time in my life. I will be forever grateful to him. Dr. Pena is a great doctor and amazing person. I can't say enough good things about him.
Be sure to speak from your heart and be as open as you can with your intentions and wishes in building your family. Also, don't hesitate to ask him for recommendations when needed for other doctors. He has a great network! If something doesn't feel right, trust your instincts.
I have been struggling with male factor infertility for almost ten years. It has been a very long and emotional journey. During my first meeting with Dr. Pena, we went through my history and my intentions for the future. By the end of our first meeting, I was able to smile and relax feeling like I was sitting with a friend who genuinely wanted happiness for me. I was prepared to hear more statistics and lectures but what I received from Dr. Pena was understanding and encouragement to move forward with the vision that I had in mind which was donor embryo. He even went as far as to compliment me on being an intelligent individual and applauded my decision to make a reasonable choice for my family. Medical knowledge and experience is extremely important but to have someone feel like they are on your team is priceless. He gave me hope. I am so thankful.
We pursued donor embryo's and since we have male factor infertility, I assumed that everything would be super easy - boy was I wrong! Prior to first transfer, Dr. Pena performed a mock transfer where he found an endometrial polyp. He directed me to have this removed in order to improve my chances for a successful transfer. My first attempt to have this removed was unsuccessful due to cervical stenosis and the surgeon (NOT DR. PENA) ruptured my uterus. We decided to move forward with the polyp in place. The LIIVF team suggested that I get a quick endometrial biopsy to increase my chances of success. However, Dr. Kreiner was unable to access my uterus, it was excruciatingly painful and he decided to cancel the procedure halfway through. Dr. Pena felt it wasn't necessary and simply installed a cervical stitch then we had two transfer attempts but both were not successful. Dr. Pena suggested that I see another surgeon for polyp removal and recommended an amazing doctor who ultimately was able to remove the polyp successfully. Following the removal, I had an unsuccessful transfer which Dr. Pena felt was due to embryo quality. The team suggested that I move forward with a hysterosalpingogram to make sure that my tubes were ok and not leaking fluid which may destroy the embryo. All checked out perfectly fine. I had a fourth transfer with Kr. Keningsburg and it was very difficult, took numerous attempts to access my uterus and was a failure from the start. I left bleeding and in pain. Finally, my fifth transfer with Dr. Pena was perfect and resulted in a successful pregnancy.
The nursing staff at the West Islip location are amazing. They are very professional and kind. They are organized and successfully drew blood or scheduled sonograms for me quickly and efficiently. Most days, I was able to stop in before work and still be at work on time. I completely owe this to the nursing staff at West Islip. I also can't say enough great things about them.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF.
The West Islip location is by far the most organized and quickest location. They have a sincere respect for your time and get you in and out quickly. All of the nurses are down to earth, take a moment to say hello and even give a bit of comfort or thumbs up when needed. Everything is extremely clean and neat.
Medications - less than $1,000 Co-pays - approx. $1,000 Transfer/Donor Embryo Fees - $2,000.00 per transfer
Dr. Pena was fully supportive of my choice immediately from the start. I was insistent on SET since I am almost 40 and felt it would be too risky. He understood my concerns and explain the advantages and disadvantages thoroughly.