NYU

631-687-2229
500 Montauk Hwy
West Islip, NY 11795
631-687-2229

[Dr. Joseph Pena] spends 5 minutes (while you and your partner squeeze hands and stare at him) reviewing the pile of records you sent ahead of time (for him to review ahead of time) and 15 minutes purring statistics and acronyms at you... Are you over 35? - regardless of your shape and condition, brace yourself for the gloomiest forecast...He appears knowledgeable and experienced, but very remote. I felt like he follows a check list of procedures (similar to the one you walk away with from the first visit) and cares very little about your individual case.
Payment [at Long Island IVF] for the initial consultation is collected in the office before they even make an eye contact with you...Any questions about the procedures on the bill? - save yourself time - the answer is “This is what we bill everyone”...The nurse, Jessica, is the only reason we are staying with this clinic. Very responsive, compassionate, detailed... Weaknesses are multiple! - lack of follow up: we had to chase the dr and his stuff for every single test result. I’m getting calls from the pharmacy about prescriptions I have never been told were given to me... And of course billing, billing, billing... had to triple check and cross reference every item with insurance statements... Oh yeah, and zero common sense and courtesy - “So do you have kids?” adked one of the nurses taking my blood during the first visit... how do you respond to that...
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF)?
Do your research ahead of time, he will not bother spelling things out or even explaining what certain acronyms stand for.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF)?
Payment for the initial consultation is collected in the office before they even make an eye contact with you. Btw later on they forget to apply this payment towards the balance. Doctor spends 5 minutes (while you and your partner squeeze hands and stare at him) reviewing the pile of records you sent ahead of time (for him to review ahead of time) and 15 minutes purring statistics and acronyms at you... Are you over 35? - regardless of your shape and condition, brace yourself for the gloomiest forecast. Next visit and they try to charge you again - apparently, because they confused you with a couple scheduled for their first visit that day. Any questions about the procedures on the bill? - save yourself time - the answer is “This is what we bill everyone”
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jessica)
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Easy scheduling is their primary strength. Weaknesses are multiple! - lack of follow up: we had to chase the dr and his stuff for every single test result. I’m getting calls from the pharmacy about prescriptions I have never been told were given to me... And of course billing, billing, billing... had to triple check and cross reference every item with insurance statements... Oh yeah, and zero common sense and courtesy - “So do you have kids?” adked one of the nurses taking my blood during the first visit... how do you respond to that...
What specific things went wrong at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF)?
Treated 2016 - 2017
I rarely saw or spoke with Dr Pena - he was only present during a few monitoring appointments for a few minutes at a time. It seemed pretty clear he didn’t really remember where I was at in my cycle and just referred to the paperwork to discuss the specifics of my cycle....Our initial consultation with Dr Pena was very good and he explained the general process very thoroughly. After that point we received little to no communication on our situation, next steps, test results, etc. Dr Pena did not perform the IUIs, our retrieval or our transfer
LIIVF is a high volume fertility clinic that sees patients in mass. All the offices (especially Melville) are very crowded and you will end up waiting for most appointments. The doctors work as a team so it is very likely your own doctor won’t be performing your own procedure and the nurses and practioners take on the brunt of the communication and patient liaising...The Operating Room goes down for two weeks four times a year for deep cleaning. Our doctor and nurse never mentioned this would likely fall right in the middle of our cycle and we would have to delay a month for transfer.
Our initial consultation with Dr Pena was very good and he explained the general process very thoroughly. After that point we received little to no communication on our situation, next steps, test results, etc. Dr Pena did not perform the IUIs, our retrieval or our transfer (not exactly sure why he is even labeled as our doctor?). One of the only times I did speak to him on the phone (when I was upset at the number of blastocysts we ended up with), he gave me partial (and arguably inaccurate information) about embryo quality. I also felt Dr Pena did not communicate process or potential options in treatment to us at all. We are left feeling much money was “wasted” just being pushed through a cattle herding process...
Communicate after key results and give reasons for why treatment plans/directions were chosen. Give options to patients but provide recommendations where necessary. Make sure your patients are clear on next steps and ensure there are no surprises for them.
Describe the protocols Joseph Pena used in your cycles at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF) and their degree of success.
IUI 1 (2 follicles) & 2(8 follicles - cycle canceled): Clomid IUI 3 (1 follicle): letrozole IVF 1: gonal-f & menopur for stimulation, lupeon, hcg (ovidrel) trigger, Estrace and POI prior to transfer
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jess)
Jess is so friendly and very compassionate - she couldn’t be more helpful when asked for assistance with anything. I wish the calendars that were provided were a little more thorough and explanatory (especially since we were going through our first IVF). I ended up learning most of the helpful information through YouTube and fertility communication boards!
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
If you are the first person in the office there is very little wait. However, if you are late you have to wait at least 45minutes to an hour. Generally, appointments at the West’s a Islip office are short and Dr Pena is present most days.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Insurance covered most but general costs without insurance are $6000 for IVF cycle, $3500 meds, $4000 PGS
Describe Joseph Pena's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Dr Pena said he would only do single embryo transfer for our first IVF since I am under 41 years old.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The Operating Room goes down for two weeks four times a year for deep cleaning. Our doctor and nurse never mentioned this would likely fall right in the middle of our cycle and we would have to delay a month for transfer. We found out at the last minute and pushed to get in before closing - we had four different people tell us four different things. Lots of confusion and chaos ensued (because the clinic wasn’t expecting to take on our cycle) before we got the transfer in the last day before closing. This never would have happened if we hadn’t pushed for it...

Treated 2011 - 2013
God awful. I had a miscarriage on his watch ( after a failed fresh transfer) and he didn't even have the decency to answer a question when I was standing 2 feet away from him in his office.
He was an awful doctor.
Don't even waste your time with him or this clinic.
He was an awful doctor.
It was a money making clinic. They did not care about you as a person. I requested paperwork in the mail and actually received another patients file. All the phlebotomists were rude, the receptionists were nasty and the doctors were clueless.
Melville
Treated 2017
[Dr. Pena] Will not explain anything to you and will act insulted if you ask any questions. He was extremely rude and had no concern for me as a human going through one of the saddest things in my life. He rushed through treatments and was not concerned about my comfort. It felt like he just wanted to rush IUI and IVF without going through the proper steps to understand what is really wrong with you...The procedures felt almost violating due to the doctor’s rude manor. In addition the office staff is very immature acting silly all the time. Nothing about this office was professional. They have weird socks on their stirrups, not the usual “medical” stirrup covers that you see every where else. Also there are posters all over to like them on facebook and rate them. The place also looked run down. The whole experience was just disturbing! I would stay very far away from this doctor.
[The nursing staff at Long Island IVF are] Unorganized and seemed like they were extremely rushed and stressed...The clinic itself seemed dirty, run down and disorganized. They didn't have the right equipment when I was doing a procedure and couldn't find it. There printer at one point would not turn off and the nurse just let it keep printing endlessly. It honestly felt like I was in a loony bin. Just very unsettling. I had an uneasy feeling since the first session with Dr. Pena. I was just soo desperate to get pregnant and in such a vulnerable state which is why I mistakenly stayed longer than I did. I should have listened to my gut feeling since day one. Don't make the same mistake I did.
Horrible doctor. I was not treated like a human with concerns and feelings. He got rude when I asked questions and I only asked 5 questions. He did not answer my questions. He did not explain any test or test results and I would have to ask him or a nurse for them and everyone would just respond with one word and no detail. When i asked what our results were he said "normal". When I asked for more detail as to what the test results meant he said, "I told you everything was fine, I don't know what else you want me to explain".
Stay far away
Horrible doctor. Will not explain anything to you and will act insulted if you ask any questions. He was extremely rude and had no concern for me as a human going through one of the saddest things in my life. He rushed through treatments and was not concerned about my comfort. It felt like he just wanted to rush IUI and IVF without going through the proper steps to understand what is really wrong with you. WASTING ALOT OF MONEY. The procedures felt almost violating due to the doctor’s rude manor. In addition the office staff is very immature acting silly all the time. Nothing about this office was professional. They have weird socks on their stirrups, not the usual “medical” stirrup covers that you see every where else. Also there are posters all over to like them on facebook and rate them. The place also looked run down. The whole experience was just disturbing! I would stay very far away from this doctor.
He did not give a rational or any explanation. He came up with a plan for us to do 3 rounds of IUI then IVF even before he did any blood work or did a semen analysis. Seems like he does the same with everyone. Horrible and not personalized care.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Unorganized and seemed like they were extremely rushed and stressed
East Patchogue