NYU

500 Montauk Hwy
West Islip, NY 11795
631-687-2229

Treated 2020
Dr.Pena responds to email very frequently and since he doesn't always see you in the office, you can simply send an email and expect a quick response...wasn't present at the majority of monitoring process. He became much more involved after the embryo transfer...I went through my 3rd IVF cycle with Dr. Pena and we finally got a healthy embryo! We did genetic testing to make sure there were no chromosomal abnormalities and now, I can happily say that I am pregnant. Dr. Pena and all the staff at RMA have been wonderful. At 42 years old, doctors will often tell you that it’s going to be harder to get pregnant and that your chances are lower. I literally had 4 doctors before Dr. Pena and they all told me the same thing. But it’s not true. Dr. Pena never made me feel like I was “too old” or that “my chances were lower” of having a healthy embryo and getting pregnant. He is very compassionate and cares about his patients. He jokes with you and makes yo
The East Patchogue clinic [of RMA Long Island] is a little bit small. The main office is in Melville which is much bigger...The wait times can be 1 hour or so. Make sure you are on time. If you are late, you will have to wait...They [nurses] were all really on top of everything. The medications, the scheduling, communication, follow-ups, phone calls, etc. I never felt like a number with them. They knew exactly who I was and were always so kind and knowledgable.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF)?
My name is Christine and I’m 42 years old. My husband and I had been trying to get pregnant for 5 years. In 2019, I went through my first IVF cycle in Boston, MA with no success. In July 2020, I went through my second IVF cycle in Manhattan with no success. During both of these cycles, I was diagnosed with DCIS (breast cancer), hydrosalpinx (fallopian tube blocked), 3 large fibroids, and endometriosis in my right fallopian tube. After multiple surgeries and radiation therapy, my husband and I moved to Long Island New York and found Dr. Joseph Pena at RMA. In December 2020, I went through my 3rd IVF cycle with Dr. Pena and we finally got a healthy embryo! We did genetic testing to make sure there were no chromosomal abnormalities and now, I can happily say that I am pregnant. Dr. Pena and all the staff at RMA have been wonderful. At 42 years old, doctors will often tell you that it’s going to be harder to get pregnant and that your chances are lower. I literally had 4 doctors before Dr. Pena and they all told me the same thing. But it’s not true. Dr. Pena never made me feel like I was “too old” or that “my chances were lower” of having a healthy embryo and getting pregnant. He is very compassionate and cares about his patients. He jokes with you and makes you feel comfortable. I’m always smiling when I go into the East Patchogue office (and Melville). I know that with the combined efforts of Dr. Pena and his staff (Peggy, Karen, Jess, Alexis, Stephanie) and my willingness to truly believe that I would hold my baby in my arms, is the reason the I am pregnant today. Thank you Dr. Pena.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF)?
I definitely recommend Dr. Pena. Just be aware that because RMA Long Island is a big practice, you are not going to see him at every visit and you will most likely be communicating with the nurses a lot. Dr.Pena responds to email very frequently and since he doesn't always see you in the office, you can simply send an email and expect a quick response.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF)?
Dr. Pena wasn't present at the majority of monitoring process. He became much more involved after the embryo transfer.
Describe the protocols Joseph Pena used in your cycles at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF) and their degree of success.
I only did 1 IVF cycle with Dr. Pena. (I had 3 total with other doctors). This was a typical cycle where I took Letrozole tablets, Menour, Gonal-F and Cetrotide. The trigger shot was a bit different this time. I injected it into my belly as opposed to my buttocks. I was told that due to lower weight the trigger would work the same . That was the only thing that I did differently with Dr. Pena than with my other doctors. This time, my husband and I got a healthy embryo and I am now 7 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Alexis Rogers and Jessica Castro)
They were all really on top of everything. The medications, the scheduling, communication, follow-ups, phone calls, etc. I never felt like a number with them. They knew exactly who I was and were always so kind and knowledgable.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The East Patchogue clinic is a little bit small. The main office is in Melville which is much bigger. Since we are in the Covid pandemic, protocols have changed, so the amount of people in the waiting room had to be cut in half. Many people have to wait in their cars or downstairs in the lobby. The wait times can be 1 hour or so. Make sure you are on time. If you are late, you will have to wait.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The monitoring appointments are typical of any clinic. 6am-8am for the most part. The patients usually would receive appointments via text or email, but sometimes not. You just need to know when to come in.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
My insurance covered my cycle, but I had deductible costs and PGS testing costs. PGS testing was approx.$2400.
Describe Joseph Pena's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).

Treated 2013 - 2018
I started with Dr Pena back in 2013 with IUI bc I was optimistic that I could get pregnant without too much intervention. Dr. Pena was willing to work with what I wanted but also let me know the statistics and success rates of IUI with no meds vs IUI with meds and then of course the success rate of IVF.... Dr. Pena felt more confident that given my age and the fact that the problem was mainly with my husband that we'd ave a better chance with IVF.
Wait times can sometimes be a pain for monitoring and sometimes they [Long Island IVF -West Islip] won't have enough staff for the amount of patients and that can be frustrating. One time I went in and they no sonogram technician so I had to drive all the way to Melville just for a sonogram.... I needed more endometrin from my specialty pharmacy and I called and Jessica said she would send it in. then I called my pharmacy a few days later to order and she still didn't send it. when I called her she apologized and said she forgot but then sent it over right away.
Dr Pena is very forthcoming with information. He's not warm and fuzzy but that doesn't mean he's not kind. I liked how straightforward he was with information and I liked that he had a good sense of humor when dealing with the trials of infertility. Overall I liked his way of handling things and his demeanor. He was real and nothing felt ingenuine or fake.
To really listen to what he has to say and trust that he has a lot of experience to back up his advice
They always used my name and answered all my questions and handled things delicately when need be
I started with Dr Pena back in 2013 with IUI bc I was optimistic that I could get pregnant without too much intervention. Dr. Pena was willing to work with what I wanted but also let me know the statistics and success rates of IUI with no meds vs IUI with meds and then of course the success rate of IVF. So after failed IUI with no meds then I did a couple rounds with meds and still no luck so I went to IVF. Dr. Pena felt more confident that given my age and the fact that the problem was mainly with my husband that we'd ave a better chance with IVF. The first round I didn't get a ton of eggs at retrieval and only 2 survived so that's what they transferred but had a chemical pregnancy. Then I started a whole new fresh cycle a couple months later and had a much better retrieval and had I believe 4, 5 day embryos and they transferred 2 and I got pregnant! They froze the 2 remaining. I had a ealthy single baby girl in 2014. Now in 2017 I went back for a FET and had a chemical pregnancy and then did my 2nd FET about a month ago and I am currently pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jessica Castro)
Overall I liked Jessica but not as much as the nurse I had back in 2013/2014 Karen who was amazing. that being said Jessica was very nice but she made a few errors along the way that were frustrating. But always apologized for her mistakes and corrected them but sometimes it felt like maybe she hasn't been doing it long enough.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Wait times can sometimes be a pain for monitoring and sometimes they won't have enough staff for the amount of patients and that can be frustrating. One time I went in and they no sonogram technician so I had to drive all the way to Melville just for a sonogram.
I already mentiond this earlier but monitoring on certain days can be a nightmare at this office and other days its easy breezy. When its busy it can be a little crazy but overall you can tell their really trying to get everyone in and out in a timely fashion
I am very fortunate to have very good insurance so I had zero co-pays til I had a positive pregnancy test
What specific things went wrong at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Treated 2016
He [Dr. Pena] had a good bed side manner, he answered questions and explained things. We only saw him a fee times over all, for "big" appointments but he remembered us...He was nice and I'm formative I just felt like I never saw him, you would see him once a cycle maybe twice. Now that we are pregnant we see him for every appointment but that will only be a total of four times...He's a great doctor. But if you are expecting to see the doctor every time try a different place or maybe be more vocal about it when making appointments...
Multiple locations [at Long Island IVF East Patchogue], early office hours, but most apointments were first come first serve so you stoo a good chance of waiting an hour or more sometimes...All the girls in the office were nice l, my nurse was very I'm formative but not very personable she also seemed to be the office manager and perhaps the only nurse in that office so she was everyone's nurse...
He had a good bed side manner, he answered questions and explained things. We only saw him a fee times over all, for "big" appointments but he remembered us.
First 2 cycles were both iui with clomid, did a day 3 to 6 or 7 and then just monitored till ready to trigger, first round at 50mg and second at 75mg. Only had one or t folices each time. Then moved to ifv, type of cycle was never mentioned but did menopur, one vial a day and gonal f that started around 150 but changed up or down depending on blood work then added cetrotide toward the last few days, my e2 level was high so we did a combo Lupron hcg trigger. Then progesterone in oil estrogen and baby asprin after transfere
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Joey)
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Multiple locations, early office hours, but most apointments were first come first serve so you stoo a good chance of waiting an hour or more sometimes
If you weren't the first person there you would be waiting an hour, and if it's on Wednesday your waiting an hour no matter what because dr. Peña does them and he doesn't come in at 7, closer to 8
My insurance covered most things so I had copays, and 2500 out of pocket for ivf, but I had several incidences where I was double billed and billed for things like sonograms that didn't happen. When I asked about it they showed me a sono with my name and the date in question on it but even the sono technician said she knows I didn't have one that day.

Treated 2016
He [Dr. Pena] was very honest and candid in his overview about the IUI procedure and outcomes, as well as the percentages. However, he did not fully discuss the specific details of the process should it succeed (which in this case it did on the first round), such as how often blood hormone levels were to be taken and monitored, and what each sonogram was specifically looking for. While these details may vary from case to case, it would have been nice to receive a rough idea of how often appointments would need to be scheduled and what each appointment would entail before the appointment was made...
Unfortunately, this clinic's office [Long Island IVF East Patchogue] staff were not as efficient as the Doctor or nurses. Paperwork was lost or misplaced. The fax machine was often not working, resulting in a delay in paperwork. The phone lines were also not working regularly, which made communication difficult. Even the billing procedure was not fully explained. When I asked for a copy of my file to bring to my regular OBGYN, I was denied...
He was very honest and candid in his overview about the IUI procedure and outcomes, as well as the percentages. However, he did not fully discuss the specific details of the process should it succeed (which in this case it did on the first round), such as how often blood hormone levels were to be taken and monitored, and what each sonogram was specifically looking for. While these details may vary from case to case, it would have been nice to receive a rough idea of how often appointments would need to be scheduled and what each appointment would entail before the appointment was made.
Ask for specific details about the procedure being done, and be honest with him about your medical history.
He was very honest and up front with me.
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) was chosen as there was no obvious fertility problem, the HSG indicated no blockages, the female patient was ovulating regularly, and the males sperm count was high. Clomid was used to facilitate ovulation as well, in order to increase the chances of success. These procedures were successful upon the first round.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The nurses were professional, and efficient. Additinally, phlebotomists were able to easily draw blood upon their first try.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Unfortunately, this clinic's office staff were not as efficient as the Doctor or nurses. Paperwork was lost or misplaced. The fax machine was often not working, resulting in a delay in paperwork. The phone lines were also not working regularly, which made communication difficult. Even the billing procedure was not fully explained. When I asked for a copy of my file to bring to my regular OBGYN, I was denied.
IUI was completely covered by insurance, with just c-pays being applied (at times).
As previously stated, the office itself was inefficient. The fax machine was often broken or not working, the phone lines were down, and paperwork went missing. Billing procedures were not clearly explained, nor were they followed in any logical sense.

Treated 2014
He [Dr. Pena] is a great listener and a good communicator. He has a great memory and he reminds of your own comments made in previous appointments and that makes you feel good. In a way it reassures you that he is listening to everything you are sharing during each visit...Whenever I had a follow up question, I would simply email him and he will always get back to me within the same day or the following day...
They [Long Island IVF West Islip] open in the very early hours of the days. This allows you to be able to get any type of treatment prior to you going to work which is a plus. Develop a relationship with the staff so that it doesn't feel like you are just another person or person "X" going through this process. It can get monotonous and they move people in and out the rooms very quickly. Take charge of your own infertility experience and develop relationships with the staff. This will help you cope better with the process, the staff gets to know you, and you will feel more comfortable every time you visit...
Even though I did not get you see Dr. Pena every time I visited the clinic, I knew I could always count on him. Whenever I had a follow up question, I would simply email him and he will always get back to me within the same day or the following day.
Ask as many questions as you need until you fully understand the process. As a new prospect, it is very common for you not to grasp the entire process in one visit. If you cannot think of all your questions during the time of your visit, ask Dr. Pena for his email address so that he can provide you with guidance via email.
he is a great listener and a good communicator. He has a great memory and he reminds of your own comments made in previous appointments and that makes you feel good. In a way it reassures you that he is listening to everything you are sharing during each visit.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Phil)
she was very patient and returned all my calls in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
They open in the very early hours of the days. This allows you to be able to get any type of treatment prior to you going to work which is a plus. Develop a relationship with the staff so that it doesn't feel like you are just another person or person "X" going through this process. It can get monotonous and they move people in and out the rooms very quickly. Take charge of your own infertility experience and develop relationships with the staff. This will help you cope better with the process, the staff gets to know you, and you will feel more comfortable every time you visit.
I don't remember, sorry.
Treated 2016 - 2017
I think Dr. Pena is a good dr and he knows what he's doing. He helped achieve the result We wanted.although I did not see him as much if and when I needed to reach him his response was quick and helpful...I felt like a human because he and his staff took the time to talk to me and understand our situation...I felt like a human because he [Dr. Joseph Pena] and his staff [at Long Island IVF - East Patchogue] took the time to talk to me and understand our situation...
The clinic [Long Island IVF - East Patchogue] was all around very helpful and on target with all procedures and follow care...[nurses] Very nice and very friendly. They showed compassion and helped me stay postive...My insurance covered a lot of my expenses...I think Dr. Pena is a good dr and he knows what he's doing. He helped achieve the result We wanted.although I did not see him as much if and when I needed to reach him his response was quick and helpful...
Depending on there situation I would tell them things that could help achieve there goal. Meaning things they could take to help or stop doing things that might hurt them.
I had to take clomid for 5 days during my menstrual cycle and a shot of ovidrel when ovulation was taking place. These medications were used to help me ovulate and possibly release one or more eggs
Very nice and very friendly. They showed compassion and helped me stay postive
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The clinic was all around very helpful and on target with all procedures and follow care
My insurance covered a lot of my expenses

Treated 2010 - 2016
When my husband and I first met Dr. Pena, we were frustrated and concerned. Dr. Pena took the time to listen to us both and ensure our comfort. We left the office feeling like we were part of a team. Dr. Pena considered our opinions when choosing our plan of care and when alterations in the plan were necessary...Getting pregnant is no longer only your responsibility.. Relax, have faith, good luck...
copays
Treated 2016 - 2020
Dr. Pena is very knowledgeable and dedicated to his work. I always felt like I was in the right care. He likes to joke around which is a breath of fresh air in a stressful situation...I have PCOS. I did Letrozole 5mg early on in the cycles. I was monitored to look for follicles. 36 hours before ovulation I used the Ovidrel trigger injection. I had 4 IUIs. The last one successfully resulted in a pregnancy.
My insurance fully covers IUI procedures [at Long Island IVF]...Wait time wasn't bad. You have to expect to wait in the mornings during monitoring hours. First come, first serve. Nice office staff. Organized check in process. Small waiting room. Overall, it was a pleasurable experience first thing in the morning...Dr. Pena's nurse practitioner, Alexis is amazing! She will stay on the phone as long as you need to answer any questions or concerns you may have, in great detail. She's warm and encouraging. I tried to request speaking to her if she was available.
Dr. Pena is very knowledgeable and dedicated to his work. I always felt like I was in the right care. He likes to joke around which is a breath of fresh air in a stressful situation. I am that I chose him as my infertility doctor.
Ask as many questions as you want!
Dr. Pena communicated very well and was always there to answer questions I had over e-mail or phone call.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
My insurance fully covers IUI procedures.
There were a few times when I was told or e-mailed incorrect information about my next step in the treatment. It was quickly corrected.