NYU

500 Montauk Hwy
West Islip, NY 11795
631-687-2229

Treated 2016 - 2017
I found Dr. Pena to be very thorough at each appointment, covering all of the info and making time to answer any questions that my husband or I had. He was kind and made me feel comfortable with the path that was chosen such as the 2 IUIs and then the 2 IVF cycles....Dr. Pena and his staff [Long Island IVF] knew my name, welcomed me upon arrival, took the time to ask if I had any concerns and questions, called following procedures, etc...At the beginning of the IVF cycles, I was put on birth control for a few weeks. Estrace 1 tab / day for 4 days. Then 225 mg each of Follistim & menopur for 4 days which then increased to 300mg each
Everyone [at Long Island IVF West Islip] was always willing to answer any questions you have or to relieve anxiety and walk you through what is happening...[Cost Of Treatment] The total expense for an ivf cycle, meds, pgs testing, all visits associated with cycle was $24K...It was explained from the start what the available monitoring hours would be. I didn't wait for extended periods of time...[Nurse] Absolutely loved the entire team!...Dr. Pena and his staff knew my name, welcomed me upon arrival, took the time to ask if I had any concerns and questions, called following procedures, etc.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF)?
Try to remain optimistic and positive. I felt much calmer during my 2nd IVF cycle and now I'm pregnant!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF)?
Describe the protocols Joseph Pena used in your cycles at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF) and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jessica Castro)
Absolutely loved the entire team!
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
This process doesn't happen overnight so it is important to go into the cycle knowing that the steps that are taken are happening for a reason. Ask questions whenever you feel the need. Everyone was always willing to answer any questions you have or to relieve anxiety and walk you through what is happening.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
It was explained from the start what the available monitoring hours would be. I didn't wait for extended periods of time other than when the office had been closed for a holiday weekend or snow day.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Describe Joseph Pena's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
I only had 1 viable embryo both ivf cycles so it was not an option but if I did have more than one, he only planned on implanting 1 at a time.
Treated 2016 - 2017
I rarely saw or spoke with Dr Pena - he was only present during a few monitoring appointments for a few minutes at a time. It seemed pretty clear he didn’t really remember where I was at in my cycle and just referred to the paperwork to discuss the specifics of my cycle....Our initial consultation with Dr Pena was very good and he explained the general process very thoroughly. After that point we received little to no communication on our situation, next steps, test results, etc. Dr Pena did not perform the IUIs, our retrieval or our transfer
LIIVF is a high volume fertility clinic that sees patients in mass. All the offices (especially Melville) are very crowded and you will end up waiting for most appointments. The doctors work as a team so it is very likely your own doctor won’t be performing your own procedure and the nurses and practioners take on the brunt of the communication and patient liaising...The Operating Room goes down for two weeks four times a year for deep cleaning. Our doctor and nurse never mentioned this would likely fall right in the middle of our cycle and we would have to delay a month for transfer.
Our initial consultation with Dr Pena was very good and he explained the general process very thoroughly. After that point we received little to no communication on our situation, next steps, test results, etc. Dr Pena did not perform the IUIs, our retrieval or our transfer (not exactly sure why he is even labeled as our doctor?). One of the only times I did speak to him on the phone (when I was upset at the number of blastocysts we ended up with), he gave me partial (and arguably inaccurate information) about embryo quality. I also felt Dr Pena did not communicate process or potential options in treatment to us at all. We are left feeling much money was “wasted” just being pushed through a cattle herding process...
Communicate after key results and give reasons for why treatment plans/directions were chosen. Give options to patients but provide recommendations where necessary. Make sure your patients are clear on next steps and ensure there are no surprises for them.
IUI 1 (2 follicles) & 2(8 follicles - cycle canceled): Clomid IUI 3 (1 follicle): letrozole IVF 1: gonal-f & menopur for stimulation, lupeon, hcg (ovidrel) trigger, Estrace and POI prior to transfer
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jess)
Jess is so friendly and very compassionate - she couldn’t be more helpful when asked for assistance with anything. I wish the calendars that were provided were a little more thorough and explanatory (especially since we were going through our first IVF). I ended up learning most of the helpful information through YouTube and fertility communication boards!
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
If you are the first person in the office there is very little wait. However, if you are late you have to wait at least 45minutes to an hour. Generally, appointments at the West’s a Islip office are short and Dr Pena is present most days.
Insurance covered most but general costs without insurance are $6000 for IVF cycle, $3500 meds, $4000 PGS
Dr Pena said he would only do single embryo transfer for our first IVF since I am under 41 years old.
What specific things went wrong at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The Operating Room goes down for two weeks four times a year for deep cleaning. Our doctor and nurse never mentioned this would likely fall right in the middle of our cycle and we would have to delay a month for transfer. We found out at the last minute and pushed to get in before closing - we had four different people tell us four different things. Lots of confusion and chaos ensued (because the clinic wasn’t expecting to take on our cycle) before we got the transfer in the last day before closing. This never would have happened if we hadn’t pushed for it...
Treated 2017
Dr.Pena and his staff treated me with the utmost respect during my treatment. Dr. Pena was kind, caring and informative. He took his time to explain everything, review results and discuss the next steps in my treatment....I underwent 3 iui's. All of them were similar in treatment plan of action. I was given clomid on day 3 for five days. After that I went in multiple times to check follicles and hormone levels. Wheb the follicles were ready I was Instructed to do one shot of ovidrel and than two days later I would undergo an iui.
The office [Long Island IVF E Patchogue] is amazing. I would ugly recommend Liivf patchogue to everyone and anyone! I went to another practice on Long Island and I was not happy. Once I came to Liivf patchogue it really changed my view on my fertility issues and the everyday challenges I was facing...All of the nurses and staff are fabulous and friendly. I felt completely comfortable with them. I enjoyed coming to the office even though this was an extremely difficult time for me. The nurses and staff members always answered my questions and were very positive.
Dr. Pena is an amazing doctor. I felt comfortable from the day I stepped foot into his office. He took his time to explain treatments and procedures. He answered my questions quickly and efficiently. I trust Dr.Pena 100 percent and would recommend him to anyone struggling with fertility issues.
The only advice I would give is to trust him 100 percent with whatever course of treatment he thinks is best.
I underwent 3 iui's. All of them were similar in treatment plan of action. I was given clomid on day 3 for five days. After that I went in multiple times to check follicles and hormone levels. Wheb the follicles were ready I was Instructed to do one shot of ovidrel and than two days later I would undergo an iui. The first was negative, second was a chemical and third I am pregnant with twins!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The office is amazing. I would ugly recommend Liivf patchogue to everyone and anyone! I went to another practice on Long Island and I was not happy. Once I came to Liivf patchogue it really changed my view on my fertility issues and the everyday challenges I was facing.
Thankfully I have insurance that covers most of my treatment. I had co pays and had to pay for medication.
Treated 2015 - 2017
what I received from Dr. Pena was understanding and encouragement to move forward with the vision that I had in mind which was donor embryo...he went out of his way to be there for my most recent transfer even though he was not on the schedule...Dr. Pena made himself available to me, missed his daughter's soccer game on a Saturday morning, and successfully completed a perfect transfer for me. I am currently now pregnant for the first time in my life. I will be forever grateful to him.
The West Islip location [of Long Island IVF] is by far the most organized and quickest location. They have a sincere respect for your time and get you in and out quickly. All of the nurses are down to earth, take a moment to say hello and even give a bit of comfort or thumbs up when needed. Everything is extremely clean and neat.
It's hard for me to pin down Dr. Pena's strengths since I feel that he is just such a great doctor overall. For me, his biggest strength, was his ability to connect with me as a person. He did not make me feel intimidated but instead almost made me feel like we were going through this together. He explained procedures as we were going through them and took the time to make me laugh which I desperately needed at times. He is so skilled as a doctor knowing my body and was able to access my uterus repeatedly when other doctors were unable to. At times, I encountered setbacks like a polyp and Dr. Pena was immediately prepared to direct me in the right direction so I didn't feel lost. When we had times of disappointment, he took a few moments to remind me that sometimes this was part of the journey but we could still move forward. Most of all, he went out of his way to be there for my most recent transfer even though he was not on the schedule. A few of the previous doctors had much difficulty entering my uterus and left me in pain and bleeding. Knowing this, Dr. Pena made himself available to me, missed his daughter's soccer game on a Saturday morning, and successfully completed a perfect transfer for me. I am currently now pregnant for the first time in my life. I will be forever grateful to him. Dr. Pena is a great doctor and amazing person. I can't say enough good things about him.
Be sure to speak from your heart and be as open as you can with your intentions and wishes in building your family. Also, don't hesitate to ask him for recommendations when needed for other doctors. He has a great network! If something doesn't feel right, trust your instincts.
I have been struggling with male factor infertility for almost ten years. It has been a very long and emotional journey. During my first meeting with Dr. Pena, we went through my history and my intentions for the future. By the end of our first meeting, I was able to smile and relax feeling like I was sitting with a friend who genuinely wanted happiness for me. I was prepared to hear more statistics and lectures but what I received from Dr. Pena was understanding and encouragement to move forward with the vision that I had in mind which was donor embryo. He even went as far as to compliment me on being an intelligent individual and applauded my decision to make a reasonable choice for my family. Medical knowledge and experience is extremely important but to have someone feel like they are on your team is priceless. He gave me hope. I am so thankful.
We pursued donor embryo's and since we have male factor infertility, I assumed that everything would be super easy - boy was I wrong! Prior to first transfer, Dr. Pena performed a mock transfer where he found an endometrial polyp. He directed me to have this removed in order to improve my chances for a successful transfer. My first attempt to have this removed was unsuccessful due to cervical stenosis and the surgeon (NOT DR. PENA) ruptured my uterus. We decided to move forward with the polyp in place. The LIIVF team suggested that I get a quick endometrial biopsy to increase my chances of success. However, Dr. Kreiner was unable to access my uterus, it was excruciatingly painful and he decided to cancel the procedure halfway through. Dr. Pena felt it wasn't necessary and simply installed a cervical stitch then we had two transfer attempts but both were not successful. Dr. Pena suggested that I see another surgeon for polyp removal and recommended an amazing doctor who ultimately was able to remove the polyp successfully. Following the removal, I had an unsuccessful transfer which Dr. Pena felt was due to embryo quality. The team suggested that I move forward with a hysterosalpingogram to make sure that my tubes were ok and not leaking fluid which may destroy the embryo. All checked out perfectly fine. I had a fourth transfer with Kr. Keningsburg and it was very difficult, took numerous attempts to access my uterus and was a failure from the start. I left bleeding and in pain. Finally, my fifth transfer with Dr. Pena was perfect and resulted in a successful pregnancy.
The nursing staff at the West Islip location are amazing. They are very professional and kind. They are organized and successfully drew blood or scheduled sonograms for me quickly and efficiently. Most days, I was able to stop in before work and still be at work on time. I completely owe this to the nursing staff at West Islip. I also can't say enough great things about them.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The West Islip location is by far the most organized and quickest location. They have a sincere respect for your time and get you in and out quickly. All of the nurses are down to earth, take a moment to say hello and even give a bit of comfort or thumbs up when needed. Everything is extremely clean and neat.
Medications - less than $1,000 Co-pays - approx. $1,000 Transfer/Donor Embryo Fees - $2,000.00 per transfer
Dr. Pena was fully supportive of my choice immediately from the start. I was insistent on SET since I am almost 40 and felt it would be too risky. He understood my concerns and explain the advantages and disadvantages thoroughly.
Treated 2016 - 2017
From our first appointment we instantly felt comfortable with Dr. Pena. He thoroughly explained our options and each procedure. He was straight to the point, which I appreciate, and has a great sense of humor that always put me at ease...From our first appointment we instantly felt comfortable with Dr. Pena. He thoroughly explained our options and each procedure. He was straight to the point, which I appreciate, and has a great sense of humor that always put me at ease.
Long Island IVF East Patchogue has fantastic staff who work together as a team to provide the best possible care for every patient. Their early morning hours are especially helpful for those who have to go to work...Every single staff member is knowledgeable and compassionate. I instantly felt welcomed and supported from the moment I called to schedule my consultation...[monitoring appts are] first come, first serve and always appeared to be well organized.
From our first appointment we instantly felt comfortable with Dr. Pena. He thoroughly explained our options and each procedure. He was straight to the point, which I appreciate, and has a great sense of humor that always put me at ease. I have already recommended friends who are struggling with infertility to meet with Dr. Pena.
I feel that Dr. Pena is very compassionate but he is also very direct when answering questions or explaining certain things. Although I definitely prefer this form of communication and found it to be extremely helpful throughout this process, I know that some patients may feel like they need a little more "hand holding."
Dr. Pena was extremely thorough when answering all of our questions. His sense of humor made this stressful process much easier.
IVF - egg retrieval and Day 5 transfer (singleton) Medications: Follistim (Pen) varying dosage (mostly 200iu) Menopur 75iu (eventually increased dosage) Cetrotide .25mg Chorionic Gonad Progesterone in Oil 1ml Estradiol 2mg (2x daily) Methylprednisolone 4mg Endometrine 100mg (3x daily) Baby Aspirin (1x daily)
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Joey)
The entire staff at Long Island IVF East Patchogue is fantastic, especially Joey, Peggy and Diane! Every single staff member is knowledgeable and compassionate. I instantly felt welcomed and supported from the moment I called to schedule my consultation. The staff at Long Island IVF absolutely helped to make this experience as positive as possible. I cannot say enough good things about this amazing team!
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Long Island IVF East Patchogue has fantastic staff who work together as a team to provide the best possible care for every patient. Their early morning hours are especially helpful for those who have to go to work. You also never have to worry if you are scheduled to come in for monitoring over the weekend or after hours because you will be instructed to go the Melville office which also has flexible hours. There is always someone you can talk to if you have any questions, even after office hours. I was extremely satisfied with their level of communication when it came to medication instructions and upcoming appointments/procedures.
Monitoring appointments always went very smoothly. Patients were given a time frame (usually 7am-9am) to come in for monitoring. It was first come, first serve and always appeared to be well organized.
We were fortunate enough to have all of our procedures fully covered by our insurance. We only had copays for the medications and a $20 copay for all appointments after a confirmed pregnancy.
Dr. Pena strongly recommended eSET due to my age, history and potential risks with multiples. I definitely feel that eSET was the right decision for us.
Treated 2015 - 2017
...Every step we have taken under his [Dr. Pena's] direction and changes in my care has brought us a step closer to better results, and quickly ruled out options that weren't working. I recall one time at an egg retrieval about to go under anesthesia he even held my hand. It gave me a sense of comfort and that he views his patients as more than just a number :)...Be patient...it's a timely process, but your in good hands w Dr Pena...
I spent a majority of my office visits in the Melville [Long Island IVF] office. Everyone was always kind, supportive. As important the office is very efficient which is helpful when you're going before your daily job every morning. It can be very stressful. The O-R staff is exceptional we were always in awe how well run (and clean) the O-R was. You would even get a big hello and a hug goodbye on days you were in the O-R, which is an overwhelming experience, so it is nice to feel that level of kindness...
Always professional, compassionate & informative. Every step we have taken under his direction and changes in my care has brought us a step closer to better results, and quickly ruled out options that weren't working. I recall one time at an egg retrieval about to go under anesthesia he even held my hand. It gave me a sense of comfort and that he views his patients as more than just a number :)
Be patient...it's a timely process, but your in good hands w Dr Pena
Everyone is upbeat & positive, kind, knows who you are welcomes you, w/ good follow-up. This goes for all offices in Patchogue, W Islip & Melville
My treatment I think is probably typical of someone over 40. IUI, IVF's and frozen cycles. But we recently did PGS and it has worked so far, but equally as important it's more efficient and saves time when you're racing against the biological clock, as well as limits miscarriages. Dr Pena suggested PGS and gave us great peace of mind when considering another round of IVF which seemed overwhelming at the time (after a miscarriage).
Always upbeat, professional, compassionate & informative. She was always one step ahead of me in terms of preparing my medicine orders and next steps. IUI IVF etc is a lot to process and she simplified it well and always gave us peace of mind. Considering she deals w tons of patients I never felt like a number. The same goes for the Melville office, as I used both offices often over a 2 year period.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Always upbeat, professional, compassionate & informative. I spent a majority of my office visits in the Melville office. Everyone was always kind, supportive. As important the office is very efficient which is helpful when you're going before your daily job every morning. It can be very stressful. The O-R staff is exceptional we were always in awe how well run (and clean) the O-R was. You would even get a big hello and a hug goodbye on days you were in the O-R, which is an overwhelming experience, so it is nice to feel that level of kindness.
Efficient & professional...always upbeat. 7am isn't an easy time for anyone, and the whole staff made it less stressful
We paid out of pocket and have paid appx $100K over a 2 year period. A portion of our IUI and meds the first year were covered under insurance but we met the lifetime cap rather quickly and have paid out of pocket majority of the time
Treated 2016
Dr. Pena is warm and friendly but honest and realistic. He shows compassion for his patients and NEVER makes me feel like I am just another patient. In fact, he made me feel like I was his ONLY patient, even though of course I am not. He was attentive to my needs and questions...He remembered conversations we had the weeks previous and would ask or remark about those. That made me feel important like he "really listened" to me...
The best part about [Long Island IVF East Patchogue] this practice is having so many locations. You are not "LOCKED IN" to any one location, so if you need to visit a different location for convenience with work, life, etc, you are able to do so. The clinic has a wonderful, organized system for their morning monitoring so they usually have you in and out in a timely fashion. The fact that they are 7 days 365, means you never miss any windows of opportunity...And, there are so many drs. in the practice, you can always get in to see one in an emergency...
no advice is needed, except, to listen to whatever he suggests you do.
Dr. Pena was always warm and friendly. He remembered conversations we had the weeks previous and would ask or remark about those. That made me feel important like he "really listened" to me. The entire office is amazing and super warm. They always make you feel like you're the most important patient.
Dr. Pena started me with Clomid and suggested we start with IUI. We did two cycles unsuccessful, and upon reviewing my husbands sperm count, Dr. Pena recommended that we then move on to IVF. He wanted to try the IUI to be less invasive and to be a little proactive as long as we were willing to be patient with the process. We moved onto IVF with many other course of treatements.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Joanna (JOEY))
All of the nurses and staff are wonderful, caring people. They are super patient, even if you call asking the silliest questions. They explain your next step clearly and are always available via email or phone call to answer questions. Joey was extremely patient with me and my questions. Diane, the nurse/phlebotomist, was AMAZING and GOT MY VEIN EVERY TIME!! She never missed and it was NEVER painful.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The best part about this practice is having so many locations. You are not "LOCKED IN" to any one location, so if you need to visit a different location for convenience with work, life, etc, you are able to do so. The clinic has a wonderful, organized system for their morning monitoring so they usually have you in and out in a timely fashion. The fact that they are 7 days 365, means you never miss any windows of opportunity...And, there are so many drs. in the practice, you can always get in to see one in an emergency.
As stated previously, the morning monitoring appointments ran like a "well oiled machine". There was a system, and it was the same at each location. It was a smooth process and was usually an in and out process. Because the process is the same at each location, it was easy for me to have my morning monitoring done at a location, other than my primary location, so that it was convenient for my work schedule.
Thanks to my AMAZING insurance, I paid for NOTHING related to my IUI or IVF except for my medications!! It is AMAZING.
Treated 2016
My first OB appointment my OB called this pregnancy a threatened miscarriage, offered me the abortion pill, expected me to miscarry before my next follow up 2 weeks later since the sac was empty. I informed Dr. Pena's office of the results. Dr. Pena had me come in only 4 days after my OB appointment and there I was able to see the baby, yolk sac and the heartbeat :-D I am so grateful he did this for me, I was able to relax and know the baby is ok!...
Best nursing staff [at Long Island IVF East Patchogue] I have ever had to deal with. They are on top of their game. They call same day with results. If you call them and need something, they call you right back with the answer. They are friendly and compassionate...Prepare to wake up very early for appointments! They take blood 6:30am-8am in Stonybrook and 7am-8:30am in Patchogue...
As stated in my previous answer, he is easy to get in contact with. That is a HUGE PLUS! He is thorough and explains everything in a way you understand. You may feel overwhelmed from all the information but first visit, he gives you a plan of action. You leave with a printed copy of what to expect, what your next steps are, what tests you will need, etc. He does the sonograms himself. He is very easy to talk to. I don't have one negative thing to say. He is absolutely fantastic and I would recommend him to anyone having difficulty conceiving.
Check out his reviews. I have never seen a doctor with so many positive reviews in my life and now I understand why.
I love Dr. Pena. I wish I could continue seeing him my entire pregnancy. He gives you his email address in case you need him directly. I emailed him and received an auto response stating he was out of the office for the next week, so I figured I wouldn't hear back for a week. He emailed me back an hour later! I appreciated that so much and it definitely made me feel like I was being treated like a human. Also, I ended up getting pregnant naturally but he noticed my progesterone levels were low. He has prescribed me progesterone and has continued monitoring me until I'm out of the first trimester. He is listening to me and taking better care than my OB.
We started with a lot of blood work to check out my hormones, glucose and whatnot. Due to my glucose results, I was put on Metformin which I knew I needed for years but other doctors wouldn't listen. My husband did a semen analysis to make sure he wasn't having issues as well. His analysis was perfect. The next step for a dye test to check for any blockages in my tubes. It was then that they gave a pregnancy test to clear me for the HSG test and the results came back that I was already pregnant :) If I had not conceived on my own, the plan was to try Letrozole and IUI. The pregnancy test did show low progesterone levels so I came back for a follow up. the follow up showed my progesterone had lowered so he put me on Crinone 8% and has been checking on me since. My first OB appointment my OB called this pregnancy a threatened miscarriage, offered me the abortion pill, expected me to miscarry before my next follow up 2 weeks later since the sac was empty. I informed Dr. Pena's office of the results. Dr. Pena had me come in only 4 days after my OB appointment and there I was able to see the baby, yolk sac and the heartbeat :-D I am so grateful he did this for me, I was able to relax and know the baby is ok!
Best nursing staff I have ever had to deal with. They are on top of their game. They call same day with results. If you call them and need something, they call you right back with the answer. They are friendly and compassionate.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Prepare to wake up very early for appointments! They take blood 6:30am-8am in Stonybrook and 7am-8:30am in Patchogue. I think this is so thoughtful! They understand that we also have full time jobs and a lot of us are 9-5 (or 8-4:30 as I am) so we aren't constantly missing work for follow ups.
Based on my insurance, the first $10k of infertility is covered. I have one $30 copay bill that just came in.
Treated 2015 - 2016
He [Dr. Pena] explained step by step what to expect, how to move along through the process, and all possible tests that may be used/ordered. His bedside manner was great during exams, and he was thorough in explaining what he was doing, seeing, etc...He has been involved each step of the way; ordering and reviewing bloodwork, ultrasounds, medication, and any other needed tests and/or courses of treatment...
Dr. Peña is a very knowledgeable professional in the field who is friendly and compassionate. He has been involved each step of the way; ordering and reviewing bloodwork, ultrasounds, medication, and any other needed tests and/or courses of treatment. His bedside manner and relatedness to patients is second to known. I feel confident in his care, and am grateful for the care he has provided me thus far.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, he's a wealth of knowledge.
Dr. Peña was personable from the first time my wife and I met him. He engaged us in some easy conversation before getting into the more technical aspects of treatment and the fertility process. He explained step by step what to expect, how to move along through the process, and all possible tests that may be used/ordered. His bedside manner was great during exams, and he was thorough in explaining what he was doing, seeing, etc.
An initial ultrasound and bloodwork were done the 3rd day of each cycle. That same afternoon I was instructed when to begin clomid. The first two courses of clomid consisted of 1 pill a day for 5 days. The last two cycles consisted of 2 pills a day for 5 days. This medication was used to help stimulate follicle production. On day 10 of my cycles, I returned to the office for bloodwork and ultrasound to monitor hormone levels and check follicle growth. Each cycle, I returned every 1-3 days to repeat bloodwork and ultrasound, receiving instructions as when to return the same afternoon. Typically, I would go in for three visits to monitor prior to having the IUI. We chose to use only one donor specimen per cycle, as the cost was very expensive. The morning of insemination, we would go in and identify the donor specimen and allow time for it to thaw. After approximately 30 minutes, we would go to an exam room with the specimen and the doctor where insemination occurred. The procedure itself lasted approximately 10 minutes, between insertion of the speculum, swabbing of the cervix, and injection of the specimen through a catheter. The doctor was sure to describe each step of the procedure, checking in with me often to make sure I was okay. After waiting several minutes, I was free to go about my day. Two weeks later, I returned to the office for a pregnancy test. The first three tries yielded negative results. The fourth try, with a new donor yielded a positive result. After the very first IUI, I returned to the office for blood work a week later to check my progesterone level. At that time, I was prescribed progesterone suppositories to use three times a day. I continued using the progesterone folllwing each IUI as directed by the doctor.
Jess has been phenomenal since day one. She has helped my wife and I understand the process each step along the way, answering any and all questions, and returning both emails and phone calls in a very timely manner. She has been a liaison between the doctor and myself, as well as the rest of the staff at the clinic myself. She is the one that calls me with results following bloodwork and ultrasound, providing instructions as to how to proceed. Jess is compassionate and caring, and very supportive of the emotional rollercoaster this process is. We are so grateful to have had Jess by our side throughout this experience. The rest of the nursing staff has been equally as phenomenal, from the phlebotomist, to the ultrasound techs, to the office manager and everyone in between.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Long Island IVF is a comprehensive clinic that specializes in fertility services. Their practice has a number of fertility specialist on the staff to accommodate your needs, both personally and financially. They offer a wide range of locations, with various hours that work with your schedule. They are great at communicating necessary information from health care comcerns, to billing, to insurance and more with their patients. In addition to offering fertility services, they offer informational sessions, and support groups. They're compassionate to their patient's individual needs, and willing to work with them to ensure the best care that they can.
Out-of-pocket fees for insemination, with washing of the donor specimen, and all bloodwork and ultrasounds needed in between cost approximately $2,000. The thawing process of the specimen was $100 per cycle perio. With insurance, there was still a thawing fee of $100, however office visits simply cost me my insurance co-pay. My insurance covered the actual insemination.

Treated 2016
He [Dr. Pena] was very honest and candid in his overview about the IUI procedure and outcomes, as well as the percentages. However, he did not fully discuss the specific details of the process should it succeed (which in this case it did on the first round), such as how often blood hormone levels were to be taken and monitored, and what each sonogram was specifically looking for. While these details may vary from case to case, it would have been nice to receive a rough idea of how often appointments would need to be scheduled and what each appointment would entail before the appointment was made...
Unfortunately, this clinic's office [Long Island IVF East Patchogue] staff were not as efficient as the Doctor or nurses. Paperwork was lost or misplaced. The fax machine was often not working, resulting in a delay in paperwork. The phone lines were also not working regularly, which made communication difficult. Even the billing procedure was not fully explained. When I asked for a copy of my file to bring to my regular OBGYN, I was denied...
He was very honest and candid in his overview about the IUI procedure and outcomes, as well as the percentages. However, he did not fully discuss the specific details of the process should it succeed (which in this case it did on the first round), such as how often blood hormone levels were to be taken and monitored, and what each sonogram was specifically looking for. While these details may vary from case to case, it would have been nice to receive a rough idea of how often appointments would need to be scheduled and what each appointment would entail before the appointment was made.
Ask for specific details about the procedure being done, and be honest with him about your medical history.
He was very honest and up front with me.
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) was chosen as there was no obvious fertility problem, the HSG indicated no blockages, the female patient was ovulating regularly, and the males sperm count was high. Clomid was used to facilitate ovulation as well, in order to increase the chances of success. These procedures were successful upon the first round.
The nurses were professional, and efficient. Additinally, phlebotomists were able to easily draw blood upon their first try.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Unfortunately, this clinic's office staff were not as efficient as the Doctor or nurses. Paperwork was lost or misplaced. The fax machine was often not working, resulting in a delay in paperwork. The phone lines were also not working regularly, which made communication difficult. Even the billing procedure was not fully explained. When I asked for a copy of my file to bring to my regular OBGYN, I was denied.
IUI was completely covered by insurance, with just c-pays being applied (at times).
As previously stated, the office itself was inefficient. The fax machine was often broken or not working, the phone lines were down, and paperwork went missing. Billing procedures were not clearly explained, nor were they followed in any logical sense.
Treated 2014 - 2016
He [Dr. Pena] was always honest and straight forward with me which I definitely appreciated. I was very happy that he was there to do my egg retrieval. Despite infertility being a very difficult, emotionally draining process, I am grateful that I had such a wonderful doctor to help guide me through the process and help me to achieve my ultimate goal...motherhood...felt that Dr. Pena was compassionate yet straight forward and I appreciated that. I didn't feel like a number at all...
They [at Long Island IVF East Patchogue] are absolutely wonderful!!! They are all compassionate and everyone there really cares. I wouldn't have been able to hang in there if it wasn't for them! Peggy, Diane, Joey, Elizabeth, and Dr. Pena....I can't thank them enough!...The morning monitoring appointments easily fit into my schedule and even if it was busy, I rarely had to wait very long. I felt that appointments ran very smoothly and efficiently....
Dr. Pena was excellent throughout this entire process. I only ended up having to do micro Ivf once and am very blessed that it worked on the first try. He was always honest and straight forward with me which I definitely appreciated. I was very happy that he was there to do my egg retrieval. Despite infertility being a very difficult, emotionally draining process, I am grateful that I had such a wonderful doctor to help guide me through the process and help me to achieve my ultimate goal...motherhood. There are no words to describe my appreciation for everything Dr. Pena has done for me.
I felt that Dr. Pena was compassionate yet straight forward and I appreciated that. I didn't feel like a number at all.
I first went to liivf in 2014 when I was 39 and I had diagnostic testing done on my husband and I. We we're thinking about adoption at the time also and actually didn't go back until September of 2015. I believe I was not ready for fertility treatments when I first went. When I went back, Dr. Pena and I discussed a plan of action and decided that after three iui treatments, if none resulted in pregnancy, I would do Ivf. After doing two iuis, I took a bit of a break after I had a polypectomy and d&c. I then did one more. After waiting a few more months I knew Ivf was the next step. I did micro Ivf in August of 2015 and am so blessed to finally be pregnant! I can not thank Dr. Pena enough for what he has helped to give me. I am so grateful to have had such a wonderful Doctor throughout this process. I can't say enough wonderful things about him!
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Joanna falsom)
Everyone at the liivf patchogue location is an angel!!! I can not say enough wonderful things about them!
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
They are absolutely wonderful!!! They are all compassionate and everyone there really cares. I wouldn't have been able to hang in there if it wasn't for them! Peggy, Diane, Joey, Elizabeth, and Dr. Pena....I can't thank them enough!
When I first went in 2014 I had no coverage and everything, including diagnostic testing was out of pocket (a big reason I put it off for a little while and then went back in 2015). I had partial coverage for the iuis in 2015 under my insurance ($2,500.00 deductible which I met). For micro Ivf, I didnt have coverage (some medications were partially covered). It was $3,900.00 for the micro Ivf, $500 for the anesthesia, about $750.00 for the medications and $2,000.00 for the icsi.
Treated 2016
He [Dr. Pena] had a good bed side manner, he answered questions and explained things. We only saw him a fee times over all, for "big" appointments but he remembered us...He was nice and I'm formative I just felt like I never saw him, you would see him once a cycle maybe twice. Now that we are pregnant we see him for every appointment but that will only be a total of four times...He's a great doctor. But if you are expecting to see the doctor every time try a different place or maybe be more vocal about it when making appointments...
Multiple locations [at Long Island IVF East Patchogue], early office hours, but most apointments were first come first serve so you stoo a good chance of waiting an hour or more sometimes...All the girls in the office were nice l, my nurse was very I'm formative but not very personable she also seemed to be the office manager and perhaps the only nurse in that office so she was everyone's nurse...
He had a good bed side manner, he answered questions and explained things. We only saw him a fee times over all, for "big" appointments but he remembered us.
First 2 cycles were both iui with clomid, did a day 3 to 6 or 7 and then just monitored till ready to trigger, first round at 50mg and second at 75mg. Only had one or t folices each time. Then moved to ifv, type of cycle was never mentioned but did menopur, one vial a day and gonal f that started around 150 but changed up or down depending on blood work then added cetrotide toward the last few days, my e2 level was high so we did a combo Lupron hcg trigger. Then progesterone in oil estrogen and baby asprin after transfere
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Multiple locations, early office hours, but most apointments were first come first serve so you stoo a good chance of waiting an hour or more sometimes
If you weren't the first person there you would be waiting an hour, and if it's on Wednesday your waiting an hour no matter what because dr. Peña does them and he doesn't come in at 7, closer to 8
My insurance covered most things so I had copays, and 2500 out of pocket for ivf, but I had several incidences where I was double billed and billed for things like sonograms that didn't happen. When I asked about it they showed me a sono with my name and the date in question on it but even the sono technician said she knows I didn't have one that day.
Treated 2016
Dr. Pena and the staff made me feel like they were familiar with my record. They were all very supportive of my decisions and encouraging...He was very knowledgeable and confident. I felt comfortable with him. He had a good sense of humor too...
Everyone [at Long Island IVF East Patchogue] was so nice and supportive. The receptionist was very sweet and I never had an issue making appointments. One weakness is that the waiting area is relatively small so my advice is to get there early to get a seat for blood checks...Its a good idea to get there early, especially on Wednesday mornings as it can get quite crowded...
Dr. Pena was a wonderful doctor. He was very knowledgeable and confident. I felt comfortable with him. He had a good sense of humor too.
Dr. Pena could be vague at times and I would have to ask for clarification to make sure I understood what he said.
I believe my treatment was very standard. I went on birth control for three weeks before starting the injections. My retrieval went forward as scheduled. I was switched from a three-day to a five-day transfer. I went for regular blood and sonogram monitoring prior to my retrieval and after my beta test. I am currently 7 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Joanna "Joey" Falson)
My primary nurse was very good. She always answered my questions and never made me feel like I was taking up too much of her time. Joey was very business like - nice but very formal most of the time. The rest of the staff, the phlebotomist and any nurses covering for Joey were all very nice and helpful.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
I thought the clinic was great. Everyone was so nice and supportive. The receptionist was very sweet and I never had an issue making appointments. One weakness is that the waiting area is relatively small so my advice is to get there early to get a seat for blood checks.
All monitoring appointments were fine. Its a good idea to get there early, especially on Wednesday mornings as it can get quite crowded.
Due to my insurance and because the Long Island IVF is considered a center of excellence by my insurance company, I had no costs (with the exception of donor sperm) until I am became pregnant. Then it was the standard co-pay.
Treated 2015 - 2016
Whenever I had a question and emailed him [Dr. Pena] , he either called me or emailed me back within a couple of hours. This has even occurred after receiving an email that he was out of the office...He would always start off with the statistics so we could fully understand what to expect and then would always take the time to answer our questions. I was unable to monitor in his office because of my work schedule but I was aware that he was fully involved in my monitoring and treatment. Whenever I had a question outside of the office, I would email him and would usually receive an answer before the end of the night. Sometimes if these questions came really late I would notice the next morning that he would answer at all hours of the night. It was very helpful knowing that we had somebody who was knowledgeable to help us through this process...
The clinic (Long Island IVF) is very convenient with locations all over Long Island. It was nice to know that I did not have to worry about being late for work because Dr. Pena's office did not open until 7. I was able to go to the Melville office for my monitoring and all the staff in both locations was helpful and understanding...Joanne also showed us where the injections were to go, how to do it and when to do them. She [nurse Joanne] also informed us that the injectable medication was able to be mixed together so we only had to give 1 shot a night. She was always very cheerful and I felt that she was always there for me...
Dr. Pena is very knowledgeable within this field. After my gynocologist suggested that my husband and I go to Dr. Pena, we immediately began to do our research and had found many positive things said about him as well as seeing how successful he had been with his patients. This was my husband and I's first time going through this and Dr. Pena would answer any questions we had. He would always start off with the statistics so we could fully understand what to expect and then would always take the time to answer our questions. I was unable to monitor in his office because of my work schedule but I was aware that he was fully involved in my monitoring and treatment. Whenever I had a question outside of the office, I would email him and would usually receive an answer before the end of the night. Sometimes if these questions came really late I would notice the next morning that he would answer at all hours of the night. It was very helpful knowing that we had somebody who was knowledgeable to help us through this process. He understood our urgency and desire to get pregnant and made us feel that there was no way that it would not happen.
He is a statistics doctor first off but he is caring and willing to talk you through any questions you may have.
Dr. Pena always treated me like a human. He is very good with the statistics but will also talk to you like a human and answer all of your questions. Whenever I had a question and emailed him, he either called me or emailed me back within a couple of hours. This has even occurred after receiving an email that he was out of the office.
We did several rounds of Clomid with being told when to have intercourse. We also did 1 round of Clomid with IUI cycles. When it came time for our second IUI, we did come across an issue and Dr. Pena pointed us in the right direction and set up a plan for this to not occur again. We didn't want to continue this route and asked to start IVF. After having a polyp removed, we began IVF treatment with a serious of shots, followed by a trigger shot and progesteron in oil shots. This all led up the retrieval of 8 eggs. 7 of those eggs matured and 4 fertilized. We did use 1/2 ICSI on this cycle. We did a day 5 transfer of 1 embryo and unfortunately, the other embryo's did not survive to be frozen. We did not receive the news we had been hoping for with this cycle and we had a ton of questions. Dr. Pena was understanding and very accommodating as he changed around his schedule to meet with us when we were both going to be home from work. During that visit, we really felt like he was talking to us and was completely understanding with all of our questions and frustrations that non of the other embryo's were able to be frozen. During this appointment, Dr. Pena also offered us and told us all about PGS testing with the downside of having to wait several months. He explained that it was our decision and understood completely when we said that we wanted to wait on the testing to hit the ground running over the summer since I am a teacher and won't have to worry about working while trying again. We had to begin the whole process all over again. This time Dr. Pena changed one of the injectable medications but it was the same process as last time. This cycle we chose for all ICSI and that we wanted to put in 2 embryos no matter what day it was. This time they were able to retrieve 9 eggs. 7 of the matured and fertilized. We again had a day 5 transfer of 2 embryos and found out the following day that we still had 2 more that could be frozen. We are currently 7 weeks pregnant still under Dr. Pena's care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Joanne Cutolo)
Joanne was also very helpful and would answer any questions my husband and I had. She took the time to sit with us to go over all of the paper work as well as the plan that Dr. Pena had written up. Joanne also showed us where the injections were to go, how to do it and when to do them. She also informed us that the injectable medication was able to be mixed together so we only had to give 1 shot a night. She was always very cheerful and I felt that she was always there for me.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
It was convenient because of all the locations around Long Island because they all opened at different times. I was unable to monitor at Dr. Pena's office because I would be late for work if that was the case so I went to the Melville office. They took you on a first come first serve basis and knew that most of us were there that early so we could get to work on time. The staff was always on time and I never had to worry about being late for work. They often opened the doors a little early while they got set up for the day so we did not have to stand outside in the heat or the cold.
I am very fortunate as my insurance considered Long Island IVF a "Center of Excellence" and I am covered up to 50k. The financial coordinator was very helpful with us setting up our accounts with our insurance as well as answer questions we had had about costs of procedure from our insurance and the price that they charge my insurance for freezing both sperm and embryos. I only needed to pay the co-pays for the medication.

Treated 2016
As a patient, I knew I was under good care with Dr. Pena. He is extremely knowledgeable and confident in what he does. I was happy with his bedside manner and the way I was treated, and he was always very warm to my husband as well...He explained everything thoroughly, answered all questions and provided literature. He was warm and spoke in a manner that was inviting and not intimidating...
My nurse that I dealt with primarily at the West Islip office [Long Island IVF], Jess was very nice, always smiling and always reliable to call with results. She knew I was a night shift worker, so would give me a heads up to call times since I had to go straight from work many days to the office in the morning. She would always ask if I had questions...
I would tell a prospective patient that they will be in good hands, and that Dr. Pena will answer any and all questions for you during your first consultation. He makes it known that he is there for you along the way to answer any questions that you may have. You will have a doctor that is on your side and rooting for you.
Dr. Pena took the time to have a detailed discussion with my husband and I prior to the start of treatment. He explained everything thoroughly, answered all questions and provided literature. He was warm and spoke in a manner that was inviting and not intimidating. When we had our last appointment at week 7 of my pregnancy, my husband and I felt that he was genuinely happy for us. ( I am now 10 weeks.) It is easy to tell that Dr. Pena enjoys doing what he does.
We were diagnosed with "unexplained infertility" I went through 2 cycles of IUI. The first was completely negative. I am now 10.5 weeks pregnant. I took 2 rounds of clomid 100mg PO for 5 days. I had blood work and sono my first round with a trigger shot of ovidrel, and then the second round I had blood work and sono more frequently which is what I believe led to a positive test. I used the trigger shot as well for my second IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jess )
My nurse that I dealt with primarily at the West Islip office, Jess was very nice, always smiling and always reliable to call with results. She knew I was a night shift worker, so would give me a heads up to call times since I had to go straight from work many days to the office in the morning. She would always ask if I had questions.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The only issue I had with the office was for my first cylce and obtaining my ovidrel injection. It was never approved on time from the outside pharmacy, and I was not sure when I would need it by. The day I was told to take it, I still did not have it, so they had to provide me with a pharmacy in Brooklyn who would deliver the injection to me that night, but I had to pay out of pocket. Being new to the process, I was not well enough informed on being prepared with the injection. For me, this was very stressful because I had to call the on-call nurse, as it was a saturday because I was not called back like I was told I was going to be after they placed the RX for me. When I called the pharmacy they had no e-script for my injection. Eventually it was all taken care of, and I got my shot on time, but someone definitely dropped the ball there.
Everything was pretty much covered under my insurance except. I had to pay co-pays and double co-pays if I had labs and sono on the same day.
As i stated in my prior post, my first IUI cycle, I had issues getting my Ovidrel. This was a mistake on in the Melville office as we are sent there on weekends for labs and sono. My ovidrel was never approved on time, so they were supposed to call in the script to a pharmacy in Brooklyn that delivers. That was never done and I had to call the on-call nurse that afternoon to have them make sure it was ordered so I could have my ovidrel from that night.
Treated 2011 - 2016
...If you didn't understand something or had a question he [Dr. Pena] took the time to explain it. His bedside manner is wonderful. He was a perfect fit for myself and my husband. We appreciate when we are told straight on what is wrong not beating around the bush...He would run into us in public and knew who we were. He is a great dr with the best bedside manner!...
The whole staff [at Long Island IVF East Patchogue] will make you feel like family. They have a tremendous amount of compassion!...They [nurses] always gave full directions and if you had a question they both answered with no hesitation. They were both a huge part of my cycles...The medication ordering or reordering went smoothly everytime. The whole entire staff was great...
Dr. Pena is a great doctor. If you didn't understand something or had a question he took the time to explain it. His bedside manner is wonderful. He was a perfect fit for myself and my husband. We appreciate when we are told straight on what is wrong not beating around the bush.
Dr. Pena is going to be completely honest with you. If you are paying out of pocket he will not waste your money on procedures that are not warranted. You have to be open and willing to listen to his suggestions.
Dr Pena knew my name and my husbands name. He would run into us in public and knew who we were. He is a great dr with the best bedside manner!
All of my IVF cycles the medications I used were.... Follistim Menopur Progesterone in oil Estrace Baby aspirin Hcg as my trigger My dosages varied for each cycle. My IUI cycle medications were.... Clomid Follistim Don't remember the dosages
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Joey Falson)
The ladies that I encountered were wonderful!!! Joey was my main nurse, however Jess would cover as well. They both were great! They always gave full directions and if you had a question they both answered with no hesitation. They were both a huge part of my cycles. They had great bedside manner! Diane the Phlebotomist/ medical assistant was awesome as well! She always made you feel comfortable! Her positive attitude kept you staying positive! Peggy the receptionist was a warm face to see when you walked in. She knew everyone by name. She would always make you feel at home. Liz the medication specialist was on top of it. The medication ordering or reordering went smoothly everytime. The whole entire staff was great. I honestly can't say enough about them.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The whole staff will make you feel like family. They have a tremendous amount of compassion!
Monitoring was done between 7am-8am. I liked the early morning hours because I was in and out before I had to be in work. They called with results/instructions by 3pm.

Treated 2016
Dr. Pena was great. I felt like he was talking to me on a person to person level...My one piece of advice would be to always do your research and ask the subsequent questions. He had great bed side manner, I always felt comfortable with him. On our first consultation he explained everything perfectly and I felt much more confident and in control with my treatment with him as my doctor as opposed to my first fertility doctor. Things went as smoothly as they could during infertility treatment and I had no issues with Dr. Pena...
As far as strengths [of the LI IVF Melville clinic] go, the staff was friendly and comforting. The monitoring hours early in the morning were great because I was able to do all my treatment without it conflicting with work or personal life. The staff was always fast too, for normal monitoring I never waited more than 20 minutes (includes getting blood drawn and ultra sound preformed). As far as weaknesses go, at some points it really felt like there was a slight lack of professionalism on phone calls, as well as slight incompetence throughout the different offices.
I really liked Dr. Pena as a doctor. He had great bed side manner, I always felt comfortable with him. On our first consultation he explained everything perfectly and I felt much more confident and in control with my treatment with him as my doctor as opposed to my first fertility doctor. Things went as smoothly as they could during infertility treatment and I had no issues with Dr. Pena.
My one piece of advice would be to always do your research and ask the subsequent questions. With my first fertility doctor I felt completely out of control and it was extremely frustrating.
Dr. Pena was great. I felt like he was talking to me on a person to person level. I didn't feel like he had any cockiness or over confidence that I associated with my first fertility doctor.
We started with 100mg of clomid usually on CD 4/5 for five days. Clomid was used because of my PCOS w/annovulatory cycles. My follicle growth was then monitored for the next 2 weeks (give or take) using ultrasound until my follicles were about ready to release. I was then given the "go-ahead" to inject myself with a trigger shot to further help my follicles release the eggs. About 36 hours after taking the trigger shot I went in for the IUI procedure. Two cycles produced negative results, one of which had a "weird" result with slight positive at home pregnancy tests, a negative blood test at first and with a second blood test it came back positive. With a third blood test, it was negative again and I concluded was a chemical pregnancy. The third time was the charm, however, and I am currently (as of 7/29/16) 7 and a half weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jessica)
Jessica was wonderful, she was extremely upbeat and always a joy to talk to. She always called at the same time of day, which was great seeing as I knew to schedule my day around receiving the call. The rest of the nursing staff were very kind, however sometimes they (more so the receptionists) seemed to not be confident or know 100% what they were doing. This review is more for the LI IVF Melville location because I did 99% of my monitoring at that location. The nursing staff were always nice and talked to me about personal stuff, since I saw them so much. However the financial adviser Vitalia (Melville location) was absolutely horrible. She never seemed to know what she was talking about. She never had a correct answer for me and would usually just pawn me off onto someone else (like billing), who also wouldn't be able to answer my questions. Every time I had to deal with her in the very beginning of our journey, it was like pulling teeth. For example, she (and the rest of the staff) completely neglected to inform myself or my husband about possible charges from genetic testing, that if insurance didn't cover it, it would then come out of pocket. Since our insurance did NOT cover it, we ended up being billed and spent 3 months battling to get it waived because we were unaware our insurance wouldn't cover it. During this whole time with having to deal with Vitalia it really gave me a bad taste in my mouth. She constantly forwarded me to other people who had no answers and it was a nightmare. We then ended up getting billed two more times, totaling around 1,800 dollars. Thankfully after a long 6 month battle we got it settled and only paid the one bill of 600 dollars. Another example of my frustration is during the second cycle of IUI, I was doing my monitoring at the Melville location and before my pregnancy blood test, I had taken an at home pregnancy test which came back very faintly positive. When I got the blood test results back, it was negative. Which was devastating, but I picked myself up to start round three. When I went in for blood work to start the next IUI cycle, the nurse from the Melville location called and basically just said "This is weird" and told me my blood results came back with a positive pregnancy, but it was probably just a lab error. This frustrated me to no end, specifically because "this is weird" is not professional at all and if there is a high chance it is a lab error, I should have just been told I needed to come back for more blood work. I went back for more, hoping and praying for a miracle and it ended with a negative. That whole roller coaster ride was extremely emotionally difficult for me and I spent the next half of the new IUI cycle very angry.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
As far as strengths go, the staff was friendly and comforting. The monitoring hours early in the morning were great because I was able to do all my treatment without it conflicting with work or personal life. The staff was always fast too, for normal monitoring I never waited more than 20 minutes (includes getting blood drawn and ultra sound preformed). As far as weaknesses go, at some points it really felt like there was a slight lack of professionalism on phone calls, as well as slight incompetence throughout the different offices. For example, one nurse telling me to schedule an appointment for a pregnancy exam, and another nurse telling me I just need to go in for monitoring hours. This caused confusion and doubt as to what was correct. A major weakness also was the Melville locations financial adviser. She was a very frustrating person to deal with in every situation. Anything else I want a new patient to know is to always ask questions, always take your treatment in your hands and control everything you possibly can. Always ask for specific number results and what they mean, as why you're taking certain medications, ask if these things will be covered by your insurance before you accept any form of medication or treatments. If you don't you will be taken advantage of, as I was in the beginning!
I had around a 700 dollar deductible when we started. A few co pays of 40 dollars each (probably totaling around 120). 2 Rounds of trigger shots costed about 200 (give or take). I believe the third round was covered by insurance. Clomid medication for 3 rounds costed about 90 dollars if not covered by insurance. All monitoring (blood and sonograms) were covered by insurance.
Melville
Treated 2013 - 2016
Dr Pena was very invested in my success... He was so kind and explained things thoroughly. He laughed with us and helped discuss our next steps if our last try didn't work...Ask questions. If you don't understand what is expected you may delay your process. He is very patient and will answer those questions whenever you need them answered...
Karen [At Long Island IVF West Islip] was the best nurse. She was concerned for me and wanted my success. I wish she was still around but from what I understand she switched positions. I didn't have much of a relationship with the other nurses because I only saw them a few times. They were just ok... I wish they had appts for monitoring rather than first come first served. It's hard to do that with work. My old job understood but my new one will not be. Especially if they are running late it makes you so late for work...
Dr Pena was very invested in my success. That's why I am currently going back to try for my second child.
Before beginning treatments, you have a checklist of things you need to do. He wants to make sure you have a good pap and breast exam for your protection. Spouse needs a semen analysis (I have heard people going through treatments at another facility and never get an analysis to see if that was the problem which is ridiculous to me). I had a femvue test that checked that my tubes were clear. When he clears you to begin, you can start when your next cycle begins. Here was my procedure: I don't remember doses but this was my treatment. Call day 1 of cycle Go in day 3 for blood and sono Not sure what day I began clomid but I was on it for 5 days I think. Go in for blood and sono day 10. I needed progesterone supplements each cycle starting the day after my iui. And every day until I got my period or when I got pregnant I used it until appx week 10. Keep going in for blood and sono to see when ovulation will occur. When the follicle is mature, they tell you when to take the trigger shot. Take the trigger shot the night before ovulation. Go in the day of ovulation and hand in sperm specimen. They wash it and prepare it for insemination. If your ovulation didn't occur just yet you go in for a second iui the next day. I got pregnant after a two day insemination, which was hard with work but I had an understanding workplace at the time.
Karen was the best nurse. She was concerned for me and wanted my success. I wish she was still around but from what I understand she switched positions. I didn't have much of a relationship with the other nurses because I only saw them a few times. They were just ok.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
I had to pay 3 copays often. Bloodwork, sono, dr visit. But I'm thankful my ins covered the procedures.

Treated 2011 - 2016
Dr. Pena is a very caring doctor and he took the time to care about me as a patient. He would listen and answer all my questions. If I called or emailed him he would get back to me very quickly. He is compassionate and really cared about me and my feelings as I went through many IVF processes. I completely trust Dr. Pena and he really takes time and cares about his patients...He was very honest telling me the pros and cons for me as an IVF patient....
Karen [nurse at Long Island IVF East Patchogue] is a very caring nurse and I trust her completely. She is knowledgeable and very thorough in her instructions as I went through the IVF process. She answers all my questions and cares about me as a patient...Dr. Pena and the other doctors are very knowledgeable and caring towards their patients. Long Island IVF is a great fertility practice that can lead you to creating a family you always wanted...
Dr. Pena is a very caring doctor and he took the time to care about me as a patient. Dr. Pena is very knowledgeable about infertility and thoroughly went over my health, background and infertility history. He was very honest telling me the pros and cons for me as an IVF patient. I completely trusted Dr. Pena and felt very comfortable with him. I went through 5 IVF cycles that had a failed pregnancy test and Dr. Pena was very compassionate and cared about my infertility struggle. He then told me about egg donor. We did one egg donor cycle which resulted in a positive pregnancy test and we now have our beautiful baby girl. Dr. Pena was always there for me throughout my infertility struggles. Dr. Pena is an amazing IVF doctor I would recommend to anyone who wants to go through IVF with a compassionate and supportive doctor.
If a patient is going to have Dr. Pena as a doctor, they should listen and take his advice because he is a very knowledgeable doctor and will be able to help you in many ways to have the family you always wanted even if its not the way you intended like me doing egg donor to have my family.
I haven't done egg retrieval in a few years but the medicine protocols changed and the medicines I remember taking are Lupron, Gonal-F, Menopur, Bravelle, Estradiol, Medrol, Baby Asprin, Lovenox Shots, Progestrone in Oil Shots and HCG Shots
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Karen Froehlich)
Karen is a very caring nurse and I trust her completely. She is knowledgeable and very thorough in her instructions as I went through the IVF process. She answers all my questions and cares about me as a patient.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
my insurance covered 80% of 3 IVF's. My husband and I paid for 2 IVF's $ 8, 000 and egg donor at $ 15,000
Treated 2013 - 2016
Dr. Pena is a wonderful doctor who treats every patient like they are his only patients. I know that if I am under his care I will be ok no matter what. When going through infertility you can feel extremely hopeless but he has the ability to give you back that hope and the belief that everything will work out...If I had a question at any time I emailed him directly and he responded right back to me. This always made me feel better that he was an email away at any time...
It was certainly organized [at Long Island IVF East Patchogue]. At times I would get there early, so I could get to work on time but in general the system they have works fine and there is no confusion of where you should be...Only weakeness is you usually wait a little to see the Dr but not terrible...Every nurse and medical assistant I encountered at any office I went to was always above and beyond wonderful. You grow attached to this group of ladies and they help make the process easier...
He is worth meeting, because as soon as you have a consultation with him you will know he is the right choice to make all your dreams come true.
What made me feel the most human in regards to Dr. Pena was the accessibility to speak with him. If I had a question at any time I emailed him directly and he responded right back to me. This always made me feel better that he was an email away at any time.
Dr Pena prescribed me different hormones to help regulate my low levels. His rational was to make sure my uterus was the perfect environment for an embryo. They results of both times- 1. a full term pregnancy of a little girl and 2. currently 7 weeks pregnant with my second. Thanks again to his ability to provide me with the correct medicine I was able to get pregnant twice under his watch.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jessica )
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Only weakeness is you usually wait a little to see the Dr but not terrible.
It was certainly organized. At times I would get there early, so I could get to work on time but in general the system they have works fine and there is no confusion of where you should be.
My treatment was covered under insurance so I just paid copay's once I got pregnant and/or had to buy medicine.

Treated 2013 - 2016
He [Dr Joseph Pena] is warm, compassionate, and truly cares about the outcomes and emotional well-being of his patients. No matter the time of day, Dr. Pena was always available via email. He is highly professional, yet warm and understanding. He made what could have been an extremely trying process one that was exciting and educational. He is truly the best of the best.
Dr. Pena is, without a doubt, the most caring and honest physician I have ever had the pleasure of working with. He is delicately direct, genuine, and incomparably available and responsive to any questions or concerns along the way. He has given me one perfect daughter, with another child on the way, and I look forward to working with him and the entire East Patchogue LI IVF staff again in a few years. I will never be able to thank him enough!
Dr. Pena made me feel at ease and comfortable at every visit. He is warm, compassionate, and truly cares about the outcomes and emotional well-being of his patients. No matter the time of day, Dr. Pena was always available via email. He is highly professional, yet warm and understanding. He made what could have been an extremely trying process one that was exciting and educational. He is truly the best of the best.
Do not wait to make your appointment! You will not be disappointed. I only wish that I had the courage to begin the process sooner.
Dr. Pena prescribed Follistim and Ganirellix, followed by Ovidrel. My results were favorable, with no uncomfortable or unforeseen side effects.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Joanna Falson)
Joey was always available, willing to listen to my questions and concerns, and highly supportive!
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The clinic is run like a well-oiled machine with state of the art technology and the most incredible staff.
The office did their absolute best to treat their patients in a timely manner during monitoring appointments. Wait times varies depending on the "patient density" during a particular cycle. However, the office made the wait comfortable and there was often friendly conversation between patients, which was often like a support group!
I was only responsible for medication co-pays and then office visit co-pays once I became pregnant. My insurance covered 100% of my infertility treatments.

Treated 2015 - 2016
Dr. Pena is a cool super doctor! He is very caring, patient, knowledgeable, and experienced doctor. I truly feel that he gives all his patients enough individual attention. For that, I am very grateful and satisfied after each visit... Dr Pena explained to me in such a way, I can easily understand and felt that he cared and understood me. He has a way to calm me down when I got nervous about the upcoming procedure.
Clinic staff [at Long Island IVF] are all nice, friendly, and professional. The bathroom is always clean. I can easily schedule a meeting with Dr. Pena. They always called me back in a short order when I have questions...All the staff are kind, helpful, and professional! Clinic staff are all nice, friendly, and professional. The bathroom is always clean. I can easily schedule a meeting with Dr. Pena. They always called me back in a short order when I have questions.
Dr. Pena always give individual patient enough time to ask questions. When I saw him in the clinic, I never felt that was rushed out as the way other doctors made me felt. I felt that I had all my questions answered and I felt pretty well when I left. Dr Pena explained to me in such a way, I can easily understand and felt that he cared and understood me. He has a way to calm me down when I got nervous about the upcoming procedure. He was able to convince me to make the right decision. Dr. Pena is a cool super doctor! He is very caring, patient, knowledgeable, and experienced doctor. I truly feel that he gives all his patients enough individual attention. For that, I am very grateful and satisfied after each visit. I would strongly recommend Dr. Pena and his staff to anyone looking for a successful pregnancy and to start a family.
Don't afraid to ask any questions. Dr. Pena is very good at answer any questions objectively.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Zoey)
Treated 2014 - 2016
Dr. Pena is an amazing doctor. Very patient and responsive. He take so much time with you as a patient to answer all your questions and explain everything...He is the best! He is honest with how treatments will go and even during treatments he sets your expectations. You can't go wrong...I have a high fear of medical treatments, needles being a top concern and everyone at the office took so much time to help me through everything and give me every tool I needed to make it through the treatments. Dr. Pena and the nurses answered every question I had in a super quick time frame and always took a lot of time to walk us through our concerns.
Jessica [nurse at Long Island IVF] was my main nurse contact and she is amazing. She always takes the time to answer my questions. Joey is also at the office and she is just as available and also great at answering questions. They both made the whole process great. Diane does the bloodwork and honestly I couldn't have gone through this without her. She calmed my nerves and does a great job!...The monitoring is done in the morning and the process is fine...IVF is not an inexpensive process but my insurance ran out and the office was great at supporting us in finding grants to help defray some of the costs. Compared to other clinics they seem to be at parity...I just loved the whole staff and everyone from the front desk (Peggy) to Dr. Pena made me feel supported.
My cycles for IVF were pretty standard. The first few he supported my decision to do natural cycles with just the HCG injection. I had such a high fear of the process that this was all I was capable of, he did warn me of the risks and eventually I tried a medicated cycle. I had one for my daughter and one to try for a second. Both I used Gonal F and then Ganirelix. From our first try I had 2 embryos left over which resulted in a failed frozen transfer. This time our fresh transfer was unsuccessful but we went through with a frozen cycle that is currently ongoing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jessica and Joey)
Jessica was my main nurse contact and she is amazing. She always takes the time to answer my questions. Joey is also at the office and she is just as available and also great at answering questions. They both made the whole process great. Diane does the bloodwork and honestly I couldn't have gone through this without her. She calmed my nerves and does a great job!
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The monitoring is done in the morning and the process is fine.
Treated 2011 - 2016
Dr. Pena is a doctor who really took the time to care about me as a patient. Whenever I had any questions or concerns he responded immediately by a phone call or email. He was very thorough in his evaluations and made me aware of the positive and negative outcomes as we went through our IVF journey. He made me feel like he really cared for me and he wanted to see me have the family I longed for. When we had our daughter he was so happy for us!
My nurse [at Long Island IVF] Karen was very caring and thorough in her steps to help me through my IVF process. She always answered all my questions and listened to my concerns. She gave clear and precise directions as to what I needed to do throughout my IVF cycles. I felt very comfortable and I trusted Karen with everything. She really cared about me as a patient...Dr. Pena was there to care for me as a person and also give me advice as to what my next steps are. He then gave us advice to do egg donor
Dr. Pena is a very knowledgeable doctor and very thorough in his testing and evaluation of me and my background to fully give me the best treatment as an IVF patient. I have been with Dr. Pena for over 6 years. He was very caring and has an amazing bedside manner throughout my time at Long Island IVF. There were many times I had a negative pregnancy result and Dr. Pena was there to care for me as a person and also give me advice as to what my next steps are. He then gave us advice to do egg donor and we ended in a positive pregnancy result and we now have our beautiful baby girl. Dr. Pena was always there for me and answered all my questions and really cared about me as a patient. I fully trust Dr. Pena and would recommend him to anyone who wants to go through IVF.
Listen to the pros and cons of doing IVF. To have the patient listen and take the advice of Dr. Pena because he is very knowledgeable and knows a lot about infertility and will lead you to feeling trusting and comfortable with the tough IVF process.
Its been a few years since I did an egg retrieval but I recall throughout my many egg retrievals Dr. Pena had me taking Lupron, Gonal-F, Bravelle, Menopur, Estradiol, baby asprin, medrol, progestrone in oil shots and HCG shots
My nurse Karen was very caring and thorough in her steps to help me through my IVF process. She always answered all my questions and listened to my concerns. She gave clear and precise directions as to what I needed to do throughout my IVF cycles. I felt very comfortable and I trusted Karen with everything. She really cared about me as a patient.
Treated 2016
From the first time my husband and I met Dr. Pena. He was very welcoming and put us at ease. He went over my history and what options we had. He made me consider fertility options that I was once against. I never realized how easy things could have been done during this fertility process and I can't thank him enough for reassuring us and helping us.... Every step that was told to me, was exactly how it happened. All my instructions were always clear and precise. I never had any misunderstandings. I never thought this process would be so "easy" as it was.
Stony Brook LI IVF and it's entire team is so welcoming and caring. Everyone one of their staff members go out of the way for their patients. Whenever I call with a concern someone ALWAYS gets back to me the same day. I'm really impressed the way this facility operates. Everything is very organized...Usually a small wait. Nothing crazy...Can I just say LI IVF has the BEST nurses and doctors on staff. Ive never felt more at ease, comforted and welcomed. I recommend LI IVF to everyone whose seeking a great team.
Dr. Pena has been very helpful to us in our process of fertility. If it weren't for him explaining things at such a ease and making me feel like having a baby is a possible I probably wouldn't have chosen this fertility treatment.
My advice would be- this is probably one of the most toughest times in your life. Beyond stressful.... Dr. Pena was the only doctor to sit down with me and believe anything is possible. My dream of being a mom is on the way. And my husband and I couldn't be happier. He's very understanding and patient. Go for it!
Dr. Pena and his staff of nurses were amazing during my fertility process. Every step that was told to me, was exactly how it happened. All my instructions were always clear and precise. I never had any misunderstandings. I never thought this process would be so "easy" as it was.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Sue at the Stony Brook office )
I used the Stony Brook office as my main location since it was very close to work. Can I just say LI IVF has the BEST nurses and doctors on staff. Ive never felt more at ease, comforted and welcomed. I recommend LI IVF to everyone whose seeking a great team.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Never had a problem. Usually a small wait. Nothing crazy.
Fertility procedures are defiantly expensive. Medications aren't included. We spent around $10K or more. This isn't including getting billed for monitoring. Definitely put a hole in the pocket! And unfortunately they do not accommodate paitents with a payment plan.