NYU

500 Montauk Hwy
West Islip, NY 11795
631-687-2229

Treated 2018 - 2020
I used gonal f and menopur [for IVF with Dr. Pena]. I responded very well so I used low dosage and stimmed for a short time...Dr. Pena was personable with me. He told me the facts in layman's and medical terms. I felt comfortable on not so comfortable moments...has been my RE for the past 3 years. He has been very supportive in the highs and lows of this journey. He is very communicable with myself and my spouse. He explains in layman's terms as well as giving proper medical terminology.
[RMA Long Island IVF is] popular and because of this it can also be a weakness because of the volume. They do have other doctors and clinics in the group. This does help with volume. It also helps with individualswho would.like the experiencewithout having to travel so far for screening...My nurse is the absolute best. Both compassion supportive. I wouldnt have made it through this journey without her...I used gonal f and menopur. I responded very well so I used low dosage and stimmed for a short time.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF)?
Dr Pena has been my RE for the past 3 years. He has been very supportive in the highs and lows of this journey. He is very communicable with myself and my spouse. He explains in layman's terms as well as giving proper medical terminology.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF)?
Ask all the questions you deem necessary.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF)?
Describe the protocols Joseph Pena used in your cycles at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF) and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jessica Castro)
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The clinics strengths are that they are popular and because of this it can also be a weakness because of the volume. They do have other doctors and clinics in the group. This does help with volume. It also helps with individualswho would.like the experiencewithout having to travel so far for screening. .
Describe Joseph Pena's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
My Dr. Had a concern based on my previous miscarriage with multiples

Treated 2018 - 2020
Dr. Pena has elected single embryo transfer every time except once on my 3rd cycle I wanted to try 2 embryos since. I was also understood of the risk could have twins if transfer multiple embryos...I would recommend Dr. Pena from my experience as great fertility doctor because he has helped many of his patients and myself to achieve in having a family. We have been trying to conceive for few years and was lucky to conceive twice after the age of 35.
[RMA was] organized, friendly, caring, is there to answer any questions by phone or email and in case of emergency's responds promptly. Monitoring hours is quick even though have a lot of patients visiting all during the same hour...She [nurse] was also helpful to answer any questions I had about the medications and to make sure I had enough supply...I would recommend Dr. Pena from my experience as great fertility doctor because he has helped many of his patients and myself to achieve in having a family. We have been trying to conceive for few years and was lucky to conceive twice after the age of 35.
Go for it but first make sure your ready financially to afford treatment or be working with employer that will give you insurance to help pay for the bills it's very expensive.
understanding my fertility medical history.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jessica)
She was also helpful to answer any questions I had about the medications and to make sure I had enough supply.
Treated 2018 - 2020
[Dr. Joseph Pena is] very professional yet still had a very caring and gentle spirit...He inquired about how I felt on a daily personal and professional. He made sure that my levels were on track even if they weren't for ivf directly...I had to take medication to regulate my numbers once I was regulated I went to many doctors appointments for blood work. Finally had the successful transfer still maintaining medication and blood work that eventually led to blood and sono early in the morning for about 6 to 8 weeks
strengths [at RMA Long Island IVF] is they are compassionate individuals kind knowledgeable...on time...weakness is the time they open dont fit my work schedule and that you can hear the conversations they have with other clients in the waiting room...Dr. Pena is caring knowledgeable gentle professional and engaging. He inquired about how I felt on a daily personal and professional. He made sure that my levels were on track even if they weren't for ivf directly.
Be an open book because he understands and can better assist you if you are open
very professional yet still had a very caring and gentle spirit
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jessica )
very nice people
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
strengths is they are compassionate individuals kind knowledgeable on time weakness is the time they open dont fit my work schedule and that you can hear the conversations they have with other clients in the waiting room
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Wished that blood and sono started earlier in the patchogue office it would of been more convenient
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Went through insurance everything else was out of pocket
Treated 2017 - 2018
From my initial consult with Dr. Pena to present day I have always felt well informed and cared for. He patiently answered all of my questions, and explained every step of the procedures to me. ... Dr. Pena always followed up and chatted with me when I came to the office. ... He is extremely knowledgeable and was quick to evaluate our process and see what made the most sense for my particular case. I have really enjoyed my experience with him over the past 12 months. Far exceed my expectations.
Again, if you are going to Long Island IVF expect for a very involved process. Frequent blood monitoring, phone calls that afternoon, treatment plans. The nice thing there is nothing left for the patient to think about - the office does it all. ... Monitoring was done between 7am- 8am. ... The entire team in the Patchogue office is incredible. I always feel welcome, at home and at peace. Even in more difficult times.
From my initial consult with Dr. Pena to present day I have always felt well informed and cared for. He patiently answered all of my questions, and explained every step of the procedures to me. Unfortunately, some of my procedures happened while Dr. Pena was away, but the other doctors in the practice were lovely, and Dr. Pena always followed up and chatted with me when I came to the office. I am a very anxious person and worry over everything, he never once seems bothered by my questions or having to explain things to me. He is extremely knowledgeable and was quick to evaluate our process and see what made the most sense for my particular case. I have really enjoyed my experience with him over the past 12 months. Far exceed my expectations.
Be prepared for a very involved process. I have spoken to many other women in my situation and they do not receive the same level of care. It may seem daunting with all the visits and blood work, etc. but their hours are great and it never conflicted with work, they have multiple locations. It was easy. But it is involved and he is involved - and that is exactly what I would expect and I hoped for during this process.
Dr. Pena and his office staff are extremely personable. I feel like part of the family when I walk into the office or make a call. They are available any time to ask questions, put my mind at ease. They were extremely comforting during my losses and extremely happy during my positive tests.
I did 3 rounds of IUI, each round I was on 50mg of clomid and used a trigger shot. Each time I produced 2 good quality follicles and ovulated as expected for my IUI treatment. For each one, the process and timeline was basically the same. The first was a negative, second was chemical, third was an early loss. Then we moved on to IVF. We did a round of stimulation treatment for retrieval, I was originally on Follistim which I had an allergic reaction to - but just hives, I was switched to Gonal-F, unfortunately same reaction. Dr. Pena was aware and offered several times to find other courses of treatment, it was my decision to continue as I felt the itchy skin was not so bad. He did check to make sure that it was nothing serious or threatening before he allowed me to continue. The retrieval required a lot of visits, I did not produce good follicles at first, but around day 18 or 19 of the stim medication everything looked good and we were scheduled for transfer. At the end we had 3 day 5 embryos. We did 1 fresh transfer, that did result in a positive but unfortunately a loss at 7.3 weeks. Dr. Pena was very comforting and very realistic during the monitoring phase- it was apparent that something was off, and he did not sugar coat anything, which I greatly appreciated it. 2 round we did a 5 day frozen transfer - Dr. Pena made me feel very comfortable with the transfer, and the follow up afterwards. I am currently 6 weeks along and glad that he is there to help through the process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Joey )
Working with Joey has been a pleasure. She is just as involved as Dr. Pena. She is compassionate, knowledgeable, and always available for questions. The entire team in the Patchogue office is incredible. I always feel welcome, at home and at peace. Even in more difficult times.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Again, if you are going to Long Island IVF expect for a very involved process. Frequent blood monitoring, phone calls that afternoon, treatment plans. The nice thing there is nothing left for the patient to think about - the office does it all. There are several locations - and they are open basically 365 days a year.
Monitoring was done between 7am- 8am. There were multiple locations to choose from. I was almost always seen within 15 minutes of my arrival, even if I was late. I felt that the wait time was significantly less than most doctors.
I used my insurance - treatments were covered, sometimes a co pay
I only wanted to transfer one embryo at a time.
Treated 2016
He strongly recommended we start with a single embryo transfer, because of my age and unexplained infertility. ... Dr. Pena was amazing! He is very knowledgeable in his profession and understood that this was a very hard and emotional time for us. He would explain everything to us so we understood it, never thought any questions we asked were ridiculous. My husband was not always able to make all of the appointments and Dr. Pena would always make sure I took a video of my son's heartbeat or sonogram and he would always make sure I knew and understood what was going on throughout the process.
Overall Long Island IVF is amazing! They were very thorough during my egg retrieval, fresh embryo transfer and my frozen embryo transfer. Everyone made sure I was comfortable and understood the process that I was going through. Sometimes in the morning for monitoring the wait would be a little too long for me ... When the offices are closed and you have to go to Melville (ex. weekend, holiday) there are so many people and not enough staff to make it go fast, then I would spend forever there. All of the nurses, front desk staff, financial/billing department staff are amazing.
Dr. Pena was amazing! He is very knowledgeable in his profession and understood that this was a very hard and emotional time for us. He would explain everything to us so we understood it, never thought any questions we asked were ridiculous. My husband was not always able to make all of the appointments and Dr. Pena would always make sure I took a video of my son's heartbeat or sonogram and he would always make sure I knew and understood what was going on throughout the process. I cried the day he discharged me to my OB. I was scared to leave him but he made me feel super comfortable and positive that the pregnancy was going to be fine and sure enough it was and I had my son! :)
Do not be scared to ask questions. This is your future and your body and Dr. Pena understands that. He will never tell you your question is ridiculous.
This was a very emotional time for us. We were not sure if we would have a child. Dr. Pena and his staff were amazing! They explained everything to us so we understood it and did not force us into anything we did not want to do. I was always greeted with a smile and always felt comfortable when I was in the office or on the phone. I asked a lot of questions throughout the process (some were probably ridiculous) but no one ever judged or questioned it, they would answer it and give me as much details as I needed. I always felt like a person never just another number when I was with the office.
My IVF nurse Jessica was amazing! She was my rock, listened to me cry when she told me my first cycle failed and told me my options and supported me throughout the whole process. She became like family, from seeing her every day. She always made me feel like a person, would have real conversations, not just good morning and have a great day. She would call every day with my update. When she called to tell me I was pregnant she sounded as excited as I did.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Overall Long Island IVF is amazing! They were very thorough during my egg retrieval, fresh embryo transfer and my frozen embryo transfer. Everyone made sure I was comfortable and understood the process that I was going through. Sometimes in the morning for monitoring the wait would be a little too long for me, but I always tried to be one of the first ones there so I did not have to wait too long. When the offices are closed and you have to go to Melville (ex. weekend, holiday) there are so many people and not enough staff to make it go fast, then I would spend forever there. All of the nurses, front desk staff, financial/billing department staff are amazing. Everyone is so friendly and understands this is a hard time to be going through and tries to make it as easy and stress free as possible.
Dr. Pena and I discussed the difference of the outcomes of a single embryo transfer vs. multiple embryo transfer. He strongly recommended we start with a single embryo transfer, because of my age and unexplained infertility. After fresh cycle failed we went over the possible outcomes and precautions of single vs. multiple embryo transfers again. We agreed that my frozen cycle would be a single embryo transfer, but if that failed we would then start multiple embryo transfers. However, my frozen single embryo transfer was successful and I had my son :)
What specific things went wrong at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF)?
Treated 2016 - 2020
Dr. Pena is very knowledgeable and dedicated to his work. I always felt like I was in the right care. He likes to joke around which is a breath of fresh air in a stressful situation...I have PCOS. I did Letrozole 5mg early on in the cycles. I was monitored to look for follicles. 36 hours before ovulation I used the Ovidrel trigger injection. I had 4 IUIs. The last one successfully resulted in a pregnancy.
My insurance fully covers IUI procedures [at Long Island IVF]...Wait time wasn't bad. You have to expect to wait in the mornings during monitoring hours. First come, first serve. Nice office staff. Organized check in process. Small waiting room. Overall, it was a pleasurable experience first thing in the morning...Dr. Pena's nurse practitioner, Alexis is amazing! She will stay on the phone as long as you need to answer any questions or concerns you may have, in great detail. She's warm and encouraging. I tried to request speaking to her if she was available.
Dr. Pena is very knowledgeable and dedicated to his work. I always felt like I was in the right care. He likes to joke around which is a breath of fresh air in a stressful situation. I am that I chose him as my infertility doctor.
Ask as many questions as you want!
Dr. Pena communicated very well and was always there to answer questions I had over e-mail or phone call.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
My insurance fully covers IUI procedures.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
There were a few times when I was told or e-mailed incorrect information about my next step in the treatment. It was quickly corrected.